PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : YVR-Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

vango
Sep 29, 2008, 7:56 AM
Some observations after arriving at YVR from Toronto with an elderly relative:
There is no seating in the domestic baggage claim area, you have to go outside the area to find some seats facing away from the baggage claim. Not nice for elderly people required to stand for a long time. Toronto has rows of seats between each carousel. The taxi queue outside the domestic terminal is just a narrow stretch of sidewalk, somewhat disorganized and grubby. Always room for improvement.

Yume-sama
Sep 29, 2008, 3:35 PM
Hmm, I had never thought about that. They probably could use some seating there. I had to wait there on the 26th for about 2 hours for somebody to arrive and was stuck on the benches facing the exits, not the baggage. I am pretty sure they probably don't want people loitering around the area for too long for security reasons. One of the guards kept eyeing me as he made his rounds for the 2 hours :P

clooless
Sep 29, 2008, 5:38 PM
The carpet in the baggage claim area is also filthy in places and in much need of a cleaning. The entire area could due to with better lighting as well.

I agree with the taxi queue observations. Calgary has a Commissionaire standing at the taxi queue assisting passengers in finding a taxi.

officedweller
Sep 29, 2008, 7:55 PM
I am pretty sure they probably don't want people loitering around the area for too long for security reasons.

That's my guess too - they probably don't want "greeters" to wait on the benches in the baggage area. i.e. tough to tell if its a greeter or a thief looking for an uncollected bag.

vango
Sep 29, 2008, 9:08 PM
So I assume the domestic baggage claim in Toronto is a secured area while in Vancouver it's wide open? This is why Toronto can supply seating? YVR must have a bigger theft problem.

clooless
Sep 29, 2008, 10:22 PM
Yes, the baggage claim area in Terminal 3 is secured behind a set of sliding security doors. I don't know if discouraging theft is the rationale behind the lack of seating in the baggage claim area at YVR.

officedweller
Sep 29, 2008, 10:32 PM
I think there are some signs that say "passengers only" at the domestic baggage area, but no physical barriers.

SpongeG
Sep 29, 2008, 11:12 PM
you can pretty much wander all over the "passenger only" area in the baggage terminal area - i saw secutiry but none of them asked waht i was doing walking around the area a couple months ago (I was waiting for someone to come in from Calgary)

lubicon
Oct 3, 2008, 4:22 PM
Air Canada to launch non-stop Fort McMurray-Vancouver flights, continues non-stop Kelowna-Toronto seasonal service

VANCOUVER, Oct. 2 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada announced today that
beginning January 5, 2009, it will offer the only daily non-stop service
linking Vancouver and Fort McMurray. In addition, Air Canada will restart its
popular non-stop weekend flights between Kelowna and Toronto during the
upcoming winter ski season, onboard Air Canada's new 93-seat Embraer 190
aircraft.
"With the introduction of the only non-stop flights between Fort McMurray
and Vancouver, Air Canada is responding to strategic opportunities in this
growing market," said Daniel Shurz, Vice President, Network Planning. "This
new non-stop service between Vancouver and Fort McMurray will complement our
flights from the energy centre of Alberta to Toronto, Edmonton and Calgary. We
are also pleased to continue our popular weekend non-stop service between our
main Toronto hub and Kelowna this winter season, linking the BC interior to
our worldwide network."

Fort McMurray-Vancouver - flights depart Fort McMurray at 15:25, arriving
Vancouver at 16:25. Flights depart Vancouver at 12:00, arriving Fort McMurray
at 14:55. Flights have been timed to ensure convenient connections to and from
points across British Columbia and the US west coast. Flights will be operated
by Air Canada Jazz with 50-seat Bombardier regional jet aircraft. With this
newest flight, Air Canada will offer a total of 14 daily flights from Fort
McMurray to Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver and Toronto.

Kelowna-Toronto - beginning December, flights operate on Saturdays and
Sundays, and will depart Kelowna at 11:55, arriving Toronto at 19:05. Flights
depart Toronto at 09:15, arriving Kelowna at 11:04. Flights have been timed to
ensure convenient connections to and from Eastern and Atlantic Canada, as well
as a number of destinations in the US east coast, including Boston and New
York.

With 335 non-stop flights each week from Alberta and British Columbia to
Ontario, Quebec and Atlantic Canada, Air Canada offers the most non-stop
flights connecting Western and Eastern Canada.

Montreal-based Air Canada provides scheduled and charter air
transportation for passengers and cargo to more than 170 destinations on
five continents. Canada's flag carrier is the 14th largest commercial airline
in the world and serves more than 33 million customers annually with a fleet
consisting of more than 340 aircraft. Air Canada is a founding member of
Star Alliance, providing the world's most comprehensive air transportation
network.

twoNeurons
Oct 3, 2008, 5:18 PM
Air Canada dropped the 2nd bad fee too. I was a little surprised at that, to be honest... but AC is surprising me lately. Now if only they can get rid of the old crabby flight attendants.

Oh yeah... and REINSTATE THE YVR-KIX(Osaka) FLIGHT!!!!

Gordon
Oct 3, 2008, 6:50 PM
It would also be nice if they would re-instate the daily frequencies to Beijing & Shanghai, but that will probably have to wail until they receive their 1st 787s

Yume-sama
Oct 3, 2008, 8:56 PM
I agree. Even *I* would rather take Air Canada than a Chinese Airline. That's saying something!

As it stands now I would probably take JAL to Tokyo, spend a few days, and then take JAL to Beijing.

seatosky
Oct 5, 2008, 8:26 PM
Was going through the International terminal last week. Havn't been there in a while. Expansion is VERY nice. I would have liked to see some different types of stores besides your traditional bland duty frees. Oh well...this might have been mentioned but I found the security area very small and cramped, and also found the new cafeteria/food court area very dimly lit.

muzhav84
Oct 10, 2008, 5:27 AM
As with everything these days, the financial/credit/stock market crisis is starting to hit airport traffic, in quite a subastantial way. And you can bet this is far from the low point. Some examples:

* Montreal International - Total traffic decreased 1.3% this month, and has decreased 3 months in a row, year over year
* Calgary Airport, once the growth leader in Canada, has had its first monthly year-over year decrease in god-knows how long, further back that current records go... This is compared to growth rates of almost 20% year-over year as recently as 2006!!!

For some USA comparisons:
* Las Vegas is down big time, 10% decrease from last year (for those who don't know, this is a HUGE 1-year decrease, especially for one of the worlds largest airports!!!!)
* Los Angeles is down month-to-month and year over year, for the first time since 9/11
* Chicago O'Hare, for many years the busiest airport in the world, is also down 10% year over year

Vancouver, which had escaped the traffic slowdown up until now, posted 0.3 monthly growth, and surprisingly healthy year-to-date growth of 5.5%, probably one of the best of any North American airport... but still, the trend is clear... in August, Transborder, Asia Pacific, and European traffic numbers were down year over year. Only 'Miscellaneous' and domestic traffic propped the numbers up...

Definitely challenging economic times...

Hourglass
Oct 10, 2008, 7:38 AM
I agree. Even *I* would rather take Air Canada than a Chinese Airline. That's saying something!

As it stands now I would probably take JAL to Tokyo, spend a few days, and then take JAL to Beijing.

Hey, don't knock those Chinese airlines. The flight attendants take the concept of service so seriously, they serve you with a frown... ;)

muzhav84
Oct 15, 2008, 6:49 AM
Spicy Pickle's Bread Garden Urban Cafes Is Awarded Vancouver Airport Location

Last update: 1:00 p.m. EDT Oct. 14, 2008
DENVER, CO, Oct 14, 2008 (MARKET WIRE via COMTEX) -- Spicy Pickle Franchising, Inc. (OTCBB: SPKL) fast casual restaurants announced today that its Bread Garden Urban Cafes, a chain of 11 franchised fast casual restaurants located in the greater Vancouver, Canada area, has signed a lease for a location at the Vancouver Airport.
The location is in Terminal C which is currently under construction and scheduled for completion in early 2009. The construction is part of a major redevelopment of the airport prior to the Winter Olympics which will be held in Vancouver, Canada in the winter of 2010. The stand alone location will be post security and in a food court area located in the center of the newly constructed concourse with high visibility. It is approximately 500 sq. ft. and shaped like a quarter circle. The space will be used entirely as a kitchen and front counter. Seating will be in the common area directly in front of and behind the unit. The new Terminal C services domestic traffic and Canadian international connections. It will be serviced primarily by Canada Air, the largest Canadian carrier. Build out will occur during the spring of 2009 to coincide with a slated opening of the new concourse in June or July of 2009. Lease payments will commence on September 1, 2009. This lease has a term of five years with a two-year option.
Marc Geman, CEO of Spicy Pickle Franchising, Inc., commented: "We have been working on sites in the Vancouver area even as we were negotiating the purchase of the Bread Garden chain. This was an opportunity that came up several months ago and we sent our project management team to Vancouver for the initial meetings with the airport. Due to the hard work on the part of the Bread Garden team that is now part of our team, we submitted a proposal that has resulted in this location being granted to Bread Garden Urban Cafes."
Mr. Geman further stated: "The Vancouver airport is an extremely high visibility location. The Airport had a 17.5 million passenger count in 2007 and has a projected 2008 count over 18 million. By the time of the Olympics in 2010 roll around they project over 20 million passengers. Of that more than 10 million passengers are in the domestic area where the Bread Garden Urban Cafe will be located. This is the type of alternative venue that can bring brand identification quickly to other major metropolitan areas in Canada and overseas."
Zip Dhanani, the former owner of Bread Garden Urban Cafes and consultant to Spicy Pickle, said, "The Vancouver Airport marks a new threshold for Bread Garden and promises to be a very busy location. We are also very pleased that one of the current franchisees who already owns two other high profile locations has been selected as the franchisee for this new location."

muzhav84
Oct 15, 2008, 6:51 AM
Some cool new non-stop destinations for Summer 2009. Air Transat has announced Barcelona/Madrid and Rome. They are definitely benefitting from Zoom's demise... Will be great to go to Italy and Spain without connecting in Toronto or London

phesto
Oct 27, 2008, 8:01 PM
The taxi queue outside the domestic terminal is just a narrow stretch of sidewalk, somewhat disorganized and grubby. Always room for improvement.

The lineup at the Taxi queue in front of domestic arrivals last night (at 6pm) was the longest I've ever seen it. The lineup was all the way back into the building and it took about 15 minutes to get a cab, even with cabs constantly arriving.

This needs drastic improvement.

On the positive side, it seems as though YVR has been just as busy as ever lately. I guess we'll have to wait for the traffic stats to see if that's actually the case.

SpongeG
Oct 28, 2008, 5:33 AM
Vancouver airport group in hunt to buy London's Gatwick

VANCOUVER - The Vancouver International Airport Authority is part of a $3.1-billion bid to purchase Gatwick Airport, according to reports.

YVR Airport Services Ltd., a subsidiary of the Vancouver Airport Authority owned jointly by the airport authority and the infrastructure division of U.S. banking giant Citibank, is putting in the bid for London's second-largest airport, The Times of London reported Sunday.

If successful, the move would catapult YVRAS into the big leagues of airport management, according to industry experts.

"It would be a significant step forward into a very, very large hub airport," said Rick Erickson, managing director of RP Erickson and Associates, a Calgary-based aviation consulting group. "This will put them in a new league and it may open other substantial doors for them in the future."

YVRAS reported $440 million in revenue last year and manages 18 airports around the world, mostly in the Western Hemisphere, including facilities in Chile, the Bahamas and Jamaica, It also manages smaller airports in the B.C. cities of Cranbrook, Fort St. John and Kamloops as well as Moncton, N.B.

In 2006, it partnered with Dutch company ABN Amro for an unsuccessful bid to run London's City Airport.

In May, it partnered with Citibank and, just last month, backed by the bank's considerable financial heft, it won a 99-year-lease values at $2.52-billion US to operate Chicago's Midway Airport.

But Gatwick, by far, would be the largest gem in the YVRAS airport empire, said Erickson.

About 35 million passengers pass through the London airport's terminals annually - double the traffic through Vancouver airport last year.

Its acquisition would open doors for future management contracts with airports in Asia or the Middle East, said Erickson, making it well-poised to capitalize on a trend that began 10 to 15 years ago when governments began to divest airports and airport management to the private sector.

"With a great track record, in three or five years, there's no doubt they can go after other major airports," said Erickson, who added the well-managed Vancouver International Airport is one of the stars in the airport world and makes for a great calling card.

YVRAS officials refused to confirm the bid Sunday.

In an e-mail to The Vancouver Province, CEO George Casey said the "primary focus of Vancouver Airport Services' immediate efforts is on operating and developing Chicago Midway Airport," and that it "continues to monitor other opportunities, but has no immediate additional plans."

Gatwick owner BAA put the London airport on sale last month following a ruling ordering them to shed three of its seven U.K. airports for competition purposes.

Other potential bidders include Frankfurt Airport operator Fraport, German construction firm Hochtief, German airlines Lufthansa and Global Infrastructure Partners, a consortium made up of Credit Suisse and General Electric Co., which bought London's City Airport two years ago for $1.5 billion US.

Erickson said the fact that the bid is being made during today's struggling economic times might not be a big factor as airports, which have near-monopolies within their geographic areas, have proven to be consistent, attractive long-term investments.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=8a7f3f1c-0481-4aea-8b68-2411363ddc26

vanlaw
Oct 28, 2008, 6:33 PM
Wow - I had no idea they were involved in so many other airports.

Gordon
Nov 7, 2008, 10:05 PM
It seems that Air Canada's YVR HKG service has been reduced from daily to 5 flights / week

It seems like they are dismantling their Vancouver Asian Gateway.:(

SpongeG
Nov 7, 2008, 10:12 PM
making room for more asian airlines!

Yume-sama
Nov 8, 2008, 12:05 AM
making room for more asian airlines!

Would other, better, airlines even be allowed to come in to replace Air Canada?

Hourglass
Nov 8, 2008, 2:41 AM
It seems that Air Canada's YVR HKG service has been reduced from daily to 5 flights / week

It seems like they are dismantling their Vancouver Asian Gateway.:(

Remember they've also gone from a A340 to a B777 on this route, so there isn't that much of a reduction in seat capacity. I also think (hope?) this is just for the winter season.

Meantime, Cathay Pacific has gone from 21 flights / week to 17 and now down to 14 flights / week. It's a tough environment right now and it's only going to get tougher over the next little while.

Metro-One
Nov 8, 2008, 3:06 AM
I do notice that Air Canada is decreasing Vancouver's service at a higher rate than that of the east, no surprise there. I just hope all these reduced flights don't send overseas travelers to airports south of the border instead. I do hope the olympics boost up flight numbers again into this city. I really don't want YVR to be loosing large numbers of passengers.

Gordon
Nov 10, 2008, 10:07 PM
It looks like by April or May Air Canada's Aisian services from YVR will will be the same as last Summer.( according to ACs web timetable.

twoNeurons
Nov 10, 2008, 11:41 PM
I really don't want YVR to be loosing large numbers of passengers.

It's losing. Sorry to be the grammar nazi, that one's a pet peeve of mine.

SpongeG
Nov 11, 2008, 12:38 AM
things always slow down in the winter

look at all the airlines that don't fly to vancouver in winter - in the summer the airport is full of charter flights to europe

Metro-One
Nov 11, 2008, 4:42 AM
It's losing. Sorry to be the grammar nazi, that one's a pet peeve of mine.

Haha, please correct me whenever you can, i have horrible spelling.

muzhav84
Nov 11, 2008, 5:30 AM
Bad new for passenger traffic... the economic slowdown is no doubt here in full force... Total traffic year over year is down 6%.. transborder dropped an astonishing 12%... keep in mind as recently as february, transborder traffic rose 12%!! we should be prepared for some major downshifting in traffic growth for the next little while...

http://www.yvr.ca/pdf/authority/statistics/September_2008_Traffic_Update.pdf

http://www.yvr.ca/pdf/authority/statistics/February_2008_Traffic_Update.pdf

phesto
Nov 11, 2008, 9:41 PM
Bad new for passenger traffic... the economic slowdown is no doubt here in full force... Total traffic year over year is down 6%.. transborder dropped an astonishing 12%... keep in mind as recently as february, transborder traffic rose 12%!! we should be prepared for some major downshifting in traffic growth for the next little while...

http://www.yvr.ca/pdf/authority/statistics/September_2008_Traffic_Update.pdf

http://www.yvr.ca/pdf/authority/statistics/February_2008_Traffic_Update.pdf

September traffic was down 6%, YTD is still up 4.2%. I'd expect it will still finish the year above 3% growth, which isn't all that bad considering all that has happened to the airline industry and the economy in 2008. Of course, things could get even worse with more cuts to service.

muzhav84
Nov 12, 2008, 8:35 AM
it isn't bad in the sense that Vancouver is alone or we're doing something wrong, but 6% decrease is very significant... the economy in 2008 didn;t start getting reallt worrysome until september, so the 4.2% YTD is a thing of the past... the indicators are pointing in the other direction.. that is why i like comparing it to the early part of the year, because we were on a growth trajectory, and look how soon it changed after all of the financial mess... shows how everything is connected

phesto
Nov 12, 2008, 4:22 PM
^Completely agree. I was just trying to clarify your original post in that it is September traffic that was down 6% over 2007, not YTD or annual traffic. 2008 will still yield an increase in traffic barring some massive dropoff in November/December.

vansky
Nov 12, 2008, 7:36 PM
who cares, the terminals are still in construction, all it matters is that stuff are getting built.

muzhav84
Nov 13, 2008, 1:54 AM
i don't really agree, it is not good news for the airport if traffic declines like this... the foreign airlines we are hoping to see, with more destinations, is unlikely to happen in times like this. reduced traffic/demand scares airlines, so expansion will be delayed...

However, it is good we are doing all of the expansions and projects now, because demand will come back and it will be great to have a great airport in any case! its just traffic stats are important to follow, it matters

SpongeG
Nov 13, 2008, 2:55 AM
vancouver is a small market

its hitting everyone large and small - the smallest take the hit first

SpongeG
Nov 13, 2008, 5:16 AM
YVR sets precedent in offering free WiFi

Vancouver's YVR has become the first major airport in Canada to offer free WiFi service throughout its terminals.

The move comes as the airport wraps up its contract with Telus, which had provided a WiFi service that users had to pay for since 2001.

"We made the decision on the basis of passenger demand," said Kevin Molloy, vice-president, simplified passenger travel and chief information officer for the airport. "We have asked people how can we serve them better and WiFi is a service that is in demand."

Vancouver airport was a leader in WiFi. When it introduced it with Nokia in 2000 it was the first airport in North America to offer the service. Up until Friday when Telus' contract expired, free WiFi service was only available in lounges while elsewhere it was offered as a paid service.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/business/story.html?id=629a59bd-8b57-4979-8d80-ac899381c09a

Yume-sama
Nov 13, 2008, 5:59 AM
Cool. The Telus internet actually worked pretty good. Hopefully now that it's free it won't get so slow and clogged up that NOBODY can use it.

Gordon
Nov 13, 2008, 4:16 PM
As far as expansions go I would suspsect that the remailing 5 gates on the West Chevron will probably be delayed for a couple of years, unles YvR feels they want to be ready for the next upturn.

It's the Domestic terminal that needs the work especially the B Pier.

wrenegade
Nov 13, 2008, 6:39 PM
Hasn't the WiFi at YVR been free for a while? I know I've been using it for free since June. That was the first time I noticed at least. Either way it is excellent (and I haven't noticed it being slow).

muzhav84
Nov 14, 2008, 2:53 AM
the small airports aren't getting ht first, most of the major US airports have been in decline for some time, as i posted earlier in this thread

trofirhen
Nov 15, 2008, 6:00 AM
things always slow down in the winter

look at all the airlines that don't fly to vancouver in winter - in the summer the airport is full of charter flights to europe

:jester: There are a lot of airlines that don't fly to Vancouver in winter, mainly because the market simply isn't big enough (compare this to Seattle, which is overtaking us in this domain). In summer, Air Transat and others fly to Paris, Munich, Dusseldorf, and are about to start flights to Madrid and elsewhere.
However, only when the Canadian government loosens up and stops spoon-feeding Toronto - and when Vancouver gets as big as Seattle - will you see year round service on airlines like Air France, and possibly Iberia, or Air Portugal, to cities like Paris, Zurich, Madrid, etc. Face it folks, we're a regional city with international pretensions, and will be for a number of years.
:shrug: There is talk of Emirates coming to Vancouver. Ha! That won't be until after 2025, and there is a willingness on the part of the governement to let the city - along with its airport grow.
:banana: Until then, remember what Vancouver REALLY is: the capital of the banana republic of British Columbia. Sorry, but those are realities. :koko:

crazyjoeda
Nov 15, 2008, 6:30 AM
^ What are you talking about?? The first sentence made sense but the rest does not.

trofirhen
Nov 15, 2008, 11:52 PM
^ What are you talking about?? The first sentence made sense but the rest does not.
:yes: All I really meant was that, first and foremost, Vancouver is not a big enough city to warrant or support YEAR-ROUND service to many European cities. (Right now, all we have is London, Amsterdam, and Frankfurt)
:hell: Secondly, the Canadian government caters to its large voting base in Eastern Canada by making as many people transfer through Toronto (YYZ) or Montreal (YUL) as possible, giving those airports more profile and more importance.
:sly: Thirdly, Vancouver, despite its ties to Asia, is nevertheless a REGIONAL city with international pretensions, and it will not be before it gets bigger (upwards of 3 million) that you will start to see a wider variety of airlines, and more worldwide, and particularly European, destinations on a YEAR-ROUND basis. :fingerscrossed: The YVR Airport Terminal is great, we all agree, but the destinations are limited. The number of different airlines flying to it is limited. And it will be this way for another 20 years at least.

worldwide
Nov 16, 2008, 6:05 AM
by the time Vancouver reaches 3 million people air travel will be virtually non-existent. at least in the form which we know it.

EDIT: in reference to your last statement in post 1142, Vancouver is not the capital of BC, its not the capital of anything. infact is isnt Metro Vancouver based in Burnaby

lightrail
Nov 16, 2008, 5:10 PM
by the time Vancouver reaches 3 million people air travel will be virtually non-existent. at least in the form which we know it.

EDIT: in reference to your last statement in post 1142, Vancouver is not the capital of BC, its not the capital of anything. infact is isnt Metro Vancouver based in Burnaby

Further to post 1142 - British Columbia is not a republic - it a constitutional monarchy - get your fact's right.

SpongeG
Nov 16, 2008, 9:28 PM
:jester: There are a lot of airlines that don't fly to Vancouver in winter, mainly because the market simply isn't big enough (compare this to Seattle, which is overtaking us in this domain). In summer, Air Transat and others fly to Paris, Munich, Dusseldorf, and are about to start flights to Madrid and elsewhere.
However, only when the Canadian government loosens up and stops spoon-feeding Toronto - and when Vancouver gets as big as Seattle - will you see year round service on airlines like Air France, and possibly Iberia, or Air Portugal, to cities like Paris, Zurich, Madrid, etc. Face it folks, we're a regional city with international pretensions, and will be for a number of years.
:shrug: There is talk of Emirates coming to Vancouver. Ha! That won't be until after 2025, and there is a willingness on the part of the governement to let the city - along with its airport grow.
:banana: Until then, remember what Vancouver REALLY is: the capital of the banana republic of British Columbia. Sorry, but those are realities. :koko:

yes that is true - we are small fish in a big sea

i just met someone from dubai and he had never heard of Vancouver ever in his life until he found out he would be coming here for school - he had to look it up to see where it even was - he was told it was in Canada

for the record he never heard of Toronto either

LeftCoaster
Nov 17, 2008, 1:32 AM
Well he sounds like quite the moron then. Just curious what school is he going to? South Fraser Institute for the Retarded?

SpongeG
Nov 19, 2008, 7:31 AM
Sickness prompts plane lock-in at YVR

Health authorities say they had to err on the side of caution after 145 Air Canada passengers, some suffering from an unknown sickness, were trapped in their plane for two hours.

Around 10:45 p.m. Monday night, Air Canada Flight 129 - from Montreal to Vancouver - landed at Vancouver International Airport with reports that 25 passengers had become nauseous and sick.

Emergency crews surrounded the plane but stayed on stand-by as the feeral Public Health Agency and Vancouver Coastal Health decided what to do about the passengers and whether they needed to be quarantined.

"It took a couple hours to work through the process [Monday] night. It didn't go as smoothly as it should," said Vancouver Coastal Health vice-president of communications Clay Adams. "But nobody appeared to have any serious symptoms and no one was taken to hospital."

Adams said authorities were taking a cautious approach to avoid a SARS-like outbreak.

"Everyone wanted to help," he said.

However, poor communication seemed to be the main reason why it took so long to treat the ill passengers.

A public health agency quarantine officer was called to the scene only for the agency pass off responsibility to Vancouver Coastal Health since the flight was domestic.

Meanwhile, paramedics weren't allowed to attend to the passengers until the health authority decided what to do.

Only Richmond firefighters, who were the first on the scene, managed to check on the passengers early on in the ordeal.

VCH eventually gave the OK for passengers get off the plane two hours after it landed.

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/News/2008/11/19/7457096-sun.html

Yume-sama
Nov 19, 2008, 7:44 AM
Oh God. My worst nightmare... trapped on an Air Canada plane :( Poor people.

;)

SpongeG
Nov 19, 2008, 8:16 AM
Well he sounds like quite the moron then. Just curious what school is he going to? South Fraser Institute for the Retarded?

why?

Vancouver barely blips on the radar overseas

I know when I travelled through South Africa most people had no clue where it was

We are not that widely recognized in the general population

Hourglass
Nov 19, 2008, 9:33 AM
why?

I know when I travelled through South Africa most people had no clue where it was

Actually, I'd argue that Vancouver punches above its weight for a city of its size. Certainly most people I've met in Asia and Europe know Vancouver. I mean, can any of you tell me where Changsha (a city of 7 million people) is?

Anyway, my point is that most people have a very local frame of reference. For instance, when I was based in London (UK), I came back to visit my folks in Vancouver. A family friend asked where I was living, and when I told her, the immediate response was like, "Oh, London, Ontario. How nice!" :shrug:

SpongeG
Nov 19, 2008, 9:39 AM
i think most in europe and asia would know

again its just kind of locals think vancouver is much bigger and widely known than it is and really its not that big and important as locals want to believe it might be

and meeting people from elsewhere and travelling reminds you of it

not that its a bad thing

trofirhen
Nov 19, 2008, 5:08 PM
:) Due to its relative isolation, Vancouver has developed a rather insular mentality. Paradoxically, it is a city with one of the highest foreign-born populations in North America. Nonetheless, it does not have a real, dynamic economy, the way Seattle does (viz: Boeing, Microsoft, Starbucks, and more), but has made its reputation more recently in the film and TV industries, as well as being a major seaport, which it undeniably is. However,
as you say, the city packs more international punch, and sprinkles more cosmopolitan stardust in its imagination than in reality, and as a young city, has no really major input on the world scene, except several high-level conferences and political meetings held there (like the Clinto-Yeltsin summit), not to mention that unforgettable Grade "B" world's fair, EXPO 86. In several decades, as the city grows into something more mature, rather than a mini-Hollywoood, or a real-estate flipper's paradise, it WILL begin to gather cultural and econmic clout, the airport expansio will have indeed paid off, and one day, there might even be a yearly nonstop to Paris. Until then, let's watch the hockey game and have a beer, eh? :cheers:

LeftCoaster
Nov 19, 2008, 5:17 PM
why?

I can certainly name you several cities in South Africa of much smaller size and international stature.

Just becuase most people have no clue where it is does not make it ok... it makes most people stupid.

sono65
Nov 19, 2008, 6:46 PM
I wouldn't call them stupid, because that's attacking their intelligence...I would say uninformed?? Unknowledgeable? I've met a few folks even in the U.S. who had no clue Vancouver existed. People just don't pay attention if there is no reason to....

LeftCoaster
Nov 19, 2008, 6:56 PM
Well you seem to a more forgiving person than I.

I would say they are stupid. Its one thing to not be able to identify a given city on a map, but to haev never heard of it or not be able to say which country it is in... well that makes them stupid.

Yume-sama
Nov 19, 2008, 7:02 PM
Well you seem to a more forgiving person than I.

I would say they are stupid. Its one thing to not be able to identify a given city on a map, but to haev never heard of it or not be able to say which country it is in... well that makes them stupid.

What Country is Sucre in :P

mr.x
Nov 19, 2008, 7:06 PM
I can't blame them about cities, there are just so many of them....though when it comes to nations, I can blame Americans who actually think it snows 24/7/365 up here and that we all live in igloos. There are actually many Americans that think that's how it is - i had a friend who went to high school in some hick town in Colorado. He showed them a picture of Vancouver's skyline and they actually thought it was Hong Kong or New York.

LeftCoaster
Nov 19, 2008, 7:28 PM
What Country is Sucre in :P

easy, it and la pas are the two capitals of Bolivia.

I got that one right on Trivial persuit once... really wowed the GFs parents. :cool:

nickinacan
Nov 19, 2008, 7:38 PM
The term "world class city" is always brought up by the local media, and I always laugh whenever I hear it. Vancouver does have a lot going for its size, but business is definitely not one of them. Where is Western Canada's economic capital? Definitely not Vancouver, That title has been usurped by Calgary. Vancouver is a port city, and is pretty much the Copenhagen of Canada... just much more conservative. Until Vancouver actually does something world renown or innovative, cuts red tape and taxes, it will continue to be a second class port city.

phesto
Nov 19, 2008, 9:43 PM
From BIV-

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 1:18:25 PM

International food and beverage operator plans to set up shop at YVR

SSP Canada, the Canadian division of a U.K.-based operator of food and beverage brands for airports and train stations, has won four contracts to open restaurants at Vancouver International Airport.

Three new quick-service and one casual dining restaurant will be built by SSP beginning early next year.

The multi-year contracts are expected to generate an estimated US$60 million in revenue and create more than 100 full-time jobs.

SSP has operations in more than 130 airports and 300 rail stations in 31 countries. It operates in more than 42 airports and highway stops across the U.S., Canada and the Caribbean.

It recently won a contract at Winnipeg's international airport.

From the press release - note some of the brands which are likely to show up at YVR:

SpongeG
Nov 19, 2008, 10:06 PM
you're article was cut short - what are the brands?

SpongeG
Nov 19, 2008, 10:09 PM
i found this:

SSP Canada Strengthens Its Presence with Competitive Contract Wins at Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
SSP's expansion of food and beverage services at YVR expected to bring more than 100 full-time jobs and an estimated US$60 million in revenue to Vancouver economy

Last update: 10:01 a.m. EST Nov. 19, 2008

LANSDOWNE, Va., Nov 19, 2008 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- SSP Canada, the Canadian division of SSP, the leading operator of food and beverage brands in travel locations worldwide, announced today that it has won a 7-year contract for 3 quick service restaurants and an 8-year contract for a casual dining restaurant at Canada's second busiest airport, Vancouver International Airport (YVR). The contracts are expected to generate an estimated US$60 million in revenue and create more than 100 full-time jobs.
Graham Clarke, Chair, Vancouver Airport Authority Board of Directors, said, "YVR's goal to continue to develop as a premier global gateway, made the selection of SSP, the leading operator of food and beverage internationally, a natural partnership. We are confident that SSP's experience and passion for food will provide the millions of travellers flying through Vancouver with an exceptional range of quality options."

"We are pleased to bolster SSP's growing presence and competitive position in the Canadian market with such an internationally recognized airport as Vancouver," said Pat Murray, Senior Vice President, Business Development for SSP Canada. "Our knowledge of the consumer coupled with our culinary expertise will provide for an outstanding food & beverage program that truly enhances the experience of travellers and reflects the rich culture of Vancouver."
Construction at YVR will begin in early 2009.

This announcement comes on the heels of SSP's lucrative contract win at Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport.

About SSP
SSP, the Food Travel Experts, is the leading dedicated operator of food and beverage brands in travel locations worldwide, with operations in more than 130 airports and 300 rail stations in 31 countries. Its unparalleled portfolio of international, national, local, specialty and new breakthrough food and beverage brands includes its own national and international brands. Among these are Caffe Ritazza, Burger King, Marks & Spencer Simply Food, Bonne Journee, Caviar House & Prunier, Pizza Hut, Upper Crust and Le Train Bleu. SSP has operations in airports, train stations, motorways, retail parks and conference centers.

About SSP America (SSP Canada / SSP Caribbean)
SSP America operates in more than 42 airports and motorways across the USA, Canada and the Caribbean. Other third party brands in the broad portfolio include The Palm Restaurant, Einstein Bros. Bagels, Houlihan's, Gordon Biersch, Dunkin' Donuts, Panda Express, Five Guys Burgers and Fries, Chick-fil-A, Moe's Southwest Grill, Peet's Coffee & Tea, T.G.I. Friday's, Carl's Jr. and Buffalo Wild Wings. SSP America's brand portfolio also includes strong local icons such as Laurelwood Public House & Brewery, Bill Bateman's Bistro, Rams Head, Great Dane Pub & Brewing Co., Las Palapas Mexican Cafe, Brew Brothers Brewery and Legends of Aviation.

About Vancouver Airport Authority
The Airport Authority is a community-based, not-for-profit organization that operates Vancouver International Airport (YVR). Canada's second busiest airport, YVR expects to welcome 17.9 million passengers in 2008, and is the Official Airport of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games. The Airport Authority is undertaking a $1.4-billion capital program that will ensure the airport meets the growing demand for air travel and continues to be developed as a premier global gateway and economic generator for British Columbia.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/SSP-Canada-Strengthens-Its-Presence/story.aspx?guid=%7B54890DDD-D6C4-4086-98A2-6EF095F3FB87%7D

Yume-sama
Nov 19, 2008, 10:14 PM
What I'd do for a Dunkin' Donuts and Carl's Jr!

We'll probably end up with a Pizza Hut, though :P

Rusty Gull
Nov 19, 2008, 10:58 PM
Oh man, if they bring Buffalo Wild Wings to YVR, I'll definitely be taking the new Canada Line to the airport for dinner. And finally, some local Buffalo wing competition for Wing Nuts.

nickinacan
Nov 19, 2008, 11:21 PM
Oh man, if they bring Buffalo Wild Wings to YVR, I'll definitely be taking the new Canada Line to the airport for dinner. And finally, some local Buffalo wing competition for Wing Nuts.

Definitely. There's so many fast food chains we are missing out on up here. That list was practically 80% of them!

Yume-sama
Nov 20, 2008, 12:14 AM
It would be virtually impossible to properly supply any chain that is not already here. So it will, unfortunately, definitely be something we are familiar with. Like Pizza Hut :(

dreambrother808
Nov 20, 2008, 4:46 AM
i had a friend who went to high school in some hick town in Colorado. He showed them a picture of Vancouver's skyline and they actually thought it was Hong Kong or New York.

I remember traveling to Florida as a child and meeting locals of a similar age who asked me if Canada was somewhere near England.
I also had to inform them that their state capital was Tallahassee.
So when it comes to American awareness of anything, don't expect much... ;)

punkster1982
Nov 22, 2008, 10:16 PM
i think most in europe and asia would know

again its just kind of locals think vancouver is much bigger and widely known than it is and really its not that big and important as locals want to believe it might be

and meeting people from elsewhere and travelling reminds you of it

not that its a bad thing

A friend of mine from the UK, who's originally from BC, recently came to Van to visit with a friend who's actually British and she was so surprised that Vancouver was only 2.5 mil and thought it was way bigger than Toronto. That the impression her and her friends had haha

SpongeG
Nov 23, 2008, 5:29 AM
wehn i was in england in grade 9 we went to a school for one day - one of my schools teachers was on an exchange thing so we went to see what it was like to attend school

anyway a few girls asked us if we knew michael J fox - lol (it was 1986)

cause they thought canada must be so small that we would know him

SpongeG
Nov 24, 2008, 3:57 AM
YVR-Whistler Express ceases operations

Whistler – Perimeter Transportation this week abruptly ceased operating its long-running shuttle service between Vancouver International Airport (YVR) and Whistler.

In a terse notice posted on the company’s website, Perimeter officials wrote, “Perimeter regrets to announce that we will cease operation of the Whistler Express service between Whistler and Vancouver Airport effective end of day Friday, Nov. 21.”

The notice went on to say that the company, which also has operations in the Vancouver area, would continue to operate charter service and lease out its vans, mini-coaches and full-sized buses.

The reasons behind the move aren’t clear. Telephone messages left with company officials, including President Mike Cafferky, were not returned.

However, a Perimeter driver, who said he was served his layoff notice earlier in the week, said his understanding is that a B.C. Supreme Court ruling in a legal dispute involving Perimeter and YVR had gone against the company, forcing it to shut down the service. He could not provide specifics about the case.

Jason Bechard also said he believed the company employed 15 full-time and “eight or 10” part-time drivers on the service, most of them living in either Whistler or Squamish. He said that while some may have been surprised by the news, he and a few others were not.

“Those of us that followed the court dealings kind of expected it. For a lot of us, the whole process seemed to accelerate really fast,” Bechard said.

“I enjoyed the job,” said Bechard, who drove for Perimeter for the past three summers. “We had a chance to interact with customers, tell stories about local politics, sights, area history, for the two hours that we were with them.”

Perimeter has operated the service in the corridor for 25 years. In October 2007, however, YVR officials announced that they had chosen a rival company, Pacific Coach Lines (PCL), as the official carrier between the two destinations.

Operating from a different location at YVR, however, Perimeter continued to operate the Whistler service. Its most recent marketing materials stated that Perimeter planned to kick off its winter service between YVR and Whistler on Dec. 13 with 11 northbound and 10 southbound shuttles per day.

About a year ago, Perimeter shuttle buses began doing regular pick-ups and drop-offs at the Squamish Adventure Centre, with service between Squamish and YVR.

http://www.whistlerquestion.com/article/20081121/WHISTLER01/311219871/1030/whistler

lightrail
Nov 24, 2008, 7:40 AM
Here's the reasons for judgement in the BC Supreme Court (these are public documents) in Perimeter Transportation Ltd. v. Vancouver International Airport Authority.

http://www.courts.gov.bc.ca/jdb-txt/sc/08/15/2008bcsc1515.htm

http://www.courts.gov.bc.ca/jdb-txt/sc/07/11/2007bcsc1121.htm

It's a dispute over right of access access to the airport terminals - Perimeter argued that the airport is a public utility and must provide equal access to all transportation. The judgment goes against Perimeter. Perimeter has been operating after the expiry of it's license to operate into YVR without paying the required fees - seems the bus company now owes YVR over $600,000 in fees.

BTW - this is why you pay $5 more for a bus from the ferry to the airport than you do to Vancouver. My personal opinion is that the airport is being greedy and not recognizing the need for bus ground transportation to the airport - the fees get passed on to passengers and I think the days of air travellers having lots of money are well and truly gone. Public transit is exempt from license requirements under Provincial legislation (which is why BC Transit and Translink can run inter-city bus services without the need for license hearings).

trofirhen
Nov 28, 2008, 5:04 AM
The term "world class city" is always brought up by the local media, and I always laugh whenever I hear it. Vancouver does have a lot going for its size, but business is definitely not one of them. Where is Western Canada's economic capital? Definitely not Vancouver, That title has been usurped by Calgary. Vancouver is a port city, and is pretty much the Copenhagen of Canada... just much more conservative. Until Vancouver actually does something world renown or innovative, cuts red tape and taxes, it will continue to be a second class port city.
:tup: That's EXACTLY what Vancouver is! Nickinaca undertsands why there are no direct flights from Vancouver to Paris, Zurich, Rome, Copenhagen, or to Tahiti, Melbourne - even though we do have Sydney and Auckland. There is no scheduled sevice to Guadalajara or Puerto Vallarta, or Mazatlan, except for winter charters. Dubai, the "New Hong Kong" of the world, has its airline, Emirates flying not only to Toronto, but even to Manchester England, with Seattle coming up soon. Vancouver? Forget it? Calgary, Edmonton, and possibly SanFrancisco are Vancouver's version of "cosmopolitan! There you have it. Bushwackville on the Fraser!:haha:

Hourglass
Nov 28, 2008, 1:46 PM
:tup: That's EXACTLY what Vancouver is! Nickinaca undertsands why there are no direct flights from Vancouver to Paris, Zurich, Rome, Copenhagen, or to Tahiti, Melbourne - even though we do have Sydney and Auckland. There is no scheduled sevice to Guadalajara or Puerto Vallarta, or Mazatlan, except for winter charters. Dubai, the "New Hong Kong" of the world, has its airline, Emirates flying not only to Toronto, but even to Manchester England, with Seattle coming up soon. Vancouver? Forget it? Calgary, Edmonton, and possibly SanFrancisco are Vancouver's version of "cosmopolitan! There you have it. Bushwackville on the Fraser!:haha:

I'm not a blind Vancouver booster, but I think you're being unnecessarily down without stating all the facts. Emirates and Etihad have mentioned they would like to fly to Vancouver. However, they are currently not allowed to by the Canadian government. Singapore Airlines would like to increase frequency. Again, they are not allowed to. Korean Airlines has stated they would like to increase frequency while Asiana has stated a desire to fly to YVR. This only recently became possible with the new open skies agreement between Canada and Korea. Air France wanted to fly from Paris but could not due to the regulatory regime -- and ended up flying to Seattle instead. You get the idea.

In fact, I would argue that the current air transport regulatory regime unnecessarily favors Toronto and Montreal over Vancouver -- and this is a big factor in limiting the number of flights to YVR.

SpongeG
Nov 28, 2008, 9:39 PM
yes Canada needs to protect its own crappy airline

not allowed to offer Canadians choice

nickinacan
Nov 28, 2008, 9:57 PM
I'm not a blind Vancouver booster, but I think you're being unnecessarily down without stating all the facts. Emirates and Etihad have mentioned they would like to fly to Vancouver. However, they are currently not allowed to by the Canadian government. Singapore Airlines would like to increase frequency. Again, they are not allowed to. Korean Airlines has stated they would like to increase frequency while Asiana has stated a desire to fly to YVR. This only recently became possible with the new open skies agreement between Canada and Korea. Air France wanted to fly from Paris but could not due to the regulatory regime -- and ended up flying to Seattle instead. You get the idea.

In fact, I would argue that the current air transport regulatory regime unnecessarily favors Toronto and Montreal over Vancouver -- and this is a big factor in limiting the number of flights to YVR.

Very true. YVR upgraded and expanded their facilities to become the western gateway for Air Canada and Canada in general... then Air Canada decided to change their minds and make Toronto the gateway for everything (Terminal 1 at Pearson is Air Canada only.. surprise, surprise) after the expansion. Obviously Air Canada and the Federal Government are in bed with each other.

FYI, my original comment was not meant to be anti-Vancouver in any way, it is just my observations when comparing it to many other cities that I have travelled to. The city (And region for that matter) really need to stop resting on their laurels and become an innovative city, rather than a "me too" city.

trofirhen
Nov 29, 2008, 2:30 AM
YES. :yes: Due to the fact that the voter base is in Eastern Canada, Ottawa's bilateral regulations favour everything going in and out of Montreal and Toronto - at the expense of other Canadian cities, especially the major Western hub, Vancouver. Of course, under the "Blue Sky" agreement currently underway between Ottawa and the European Union, which also includes opening up trade and labour market exchange laws, this will change things to a large degree. It is also importanto to remember that much as Vancouver may seem like a busting-at-the seams boom town ready to take on the world, it is really relatively small by world standards at just over 2 million people. :sly: Nonetheless, it is being deprived of a number of major European destinations, themost important one being Paris, due to Ottawa's limitations. That, ladies & gentlemen, is why one has to change in Toronto for ANY destination in Europe other than London, Amsterdam, or Frankfurt.:shrug: An with The Transport Minister, Mr. Lawrence Cannon, representing Ottawa-Gatineau, things are not going to change much until a major trade and "open skies" type of deal is made, which may take another two years. (Look how Seattle has benefitted from the US-Europe agreement, and how they're overtaking Vancouver, even though Seattle is not the principal US West Coast city):( In the meantime, as the author says, we have to stop resting on our laurels. Vancouver needs to expand and enlarge its economy to put it squarely on the world map. Only then will airlines such as Emirates, Air France, and others begin to push hard for landing rights here, and only then will we become a truly "international" city, instead of a regional city with international pretensions. And only then will YVR take its place among major airports of the world. :worship: If you want statistics, look at the number of passengers handled yearly at Vancouver (approximately 17 million at best) compared to Seattle (29 million). That says a great deal, right there. With a population 40 percent bigger than Vancouver, Seattle handles nearly twice as many passengers, and has several airlines knocking at the door for landing rights, including Emirates. Vancouver has got to grow, diversify, and push harder. Then and only then will we get the air connections we deserve and need. The Hon. Lawrence Cannon is unlikely to have our interests in mind, but we can't rest on our laurels either.

Gordon
Nov 29, 2008, 3:51 AM
The brunt of Seattle airport's business is domestic their domestic population is roughly 10times the size of Canada's Sea tac is also home to the 7th or 8th largest airline in the U.S. Alaska Airlines

YVR is still the 3rd Asian hub on the West Coast.

trofirhen
Nov 29, 2008, 12:46 PM
Thank you for the perspective on Seattle's air traffic statistics versus Vancouver's. What you say puts things very much into a different perspective, and I appreciate that. However, although Vancouver is indeed a major ASIAN gateway, its European connections are severely limited. Sure, it has London Heathrow, Amsterdam, and Frankfurt all year round.:shrug: Bit what about Paris? It would be, according to one YVR marketing official, possibly the second-largest European destination after Heathrow, more important than Amsterdam or Frankfurt.:worship: And there is a large Italian population in Vancouver. Is there a direct, no-change-of-plane service to Rome? :( Not on your sweet life. Is there anything to Southern Europe at all? Only summer charters. Regarding Emirates, they want to land here, but the federal government only allows them to land in Toronto. Please remember, there's more to being an international gateway than having trans-Pacific flights to Asia.: Our European connections, especially to Paris Charles-de-Gaulle (the most "connected" airport in Europe) should be sriously addressed. The travelling public want it. YVR officials want it. But the federal government won't allow it. § Their voting base is back east, and that's who they cater to. It's as simple as that.:previous:

en2
Dec 8, 2008, 4:59 AM
http://www.yvr.ca/latestinfo/index.asp?id=550

Observation Deck at YVR - Your Input Requested
[Last updated on 12/5/2008 at 7:10:43 PM]

Vancouver Airport Authority is developing an observation and information area at YVR that will be open to the public in 2009. Along with a large space to view activity on the airfield, we are considering a number of additional elements for this area, with the goal of informing, educating and entertaining our customers and those who live in the local community.

We are asking for your input regarding what you would like to see, do or learn about in a viewing area. Please take a few moments to complete our online questionnaire. We will collect responses until December 31, 2008.

Thank you for participating. Your valuable input helps keep Vancouver International Airport as one of the best airports in the world.

fever
Dec 8, 2008, 5:04 AM
That sounds really cool. Sure would beat waiting in the waiting room.

Yume-sama
Dec 8, 2008, 5:23 AM
:P I voted for a Cockpit simulation thing. Or even just a cockpit mockup.

Of at least a 737, but a 747 would be even more awesome.

Hot Rod
Dec 8, 2008, 9:39 AM
Yeah, Seattle is a huge hub for Alaska and the smaller cities of the US NW. A lot of flight options go from major cities like Chicago, NY, to Seattle then on to Spokane or Missoula or Eugene, OR or Bellingham/Yakima/Pasco - resulting in a lot of double counting.

I would say, of Seattle's Pax traffic; 10M would be true domestic origin/destination *with Vancouverites probably making up 1M of that (who knows?), 16M would be transient, 3M International. Vancouver puts up way more International (and often is something most Seattleites are jealous about). JFK also handles roughly the same amount of PAX as Seattle but you would have to agree that JFK is MUCH busier and definitely has more O/D passengers.

As for double counting, Atlanta is a MAJOR offender (87M is really more like 25 M, 5M international, plus 57M who are double counted). Atlanta is WAY more of a major business center than Seattle despite being only 1.5 times larger.

I would say Vancouver's demise in relative EUROPEAN TRAFFIC has more to do with Canadian regulations than Vancouver as it's status as an international city. Keep in mind, Seattle only has service to one city European city that Vancouver does not (and it isn't a daily I don't think), Vancouver does have more flag carriers to Europe (and definitely to Asia).
Seattle recently lost it's China Air service, Im not sure the Hanian Air to Beijing will last much longer either (the ONLY service to China btw). Only ONE airline (United) has ONE flight to japan (I hear Delta is dropping the NW flight), and NOW only one airline has one flight to Taiwan. ...

One more thing, I live in Seattle and USE SeaTac airport. I travel to Japan for business - and on numerous times, non-business people will ask me where I am from; I say Seattle, and they look confused and perplexed. Then I say, near Vancouver and they immediately chime in with - Oh, Vancouver... very nice city. ditto that for people from China and Taiwan.

Who cares if somebody from South Africa doens't know where Vancouver (or Seattle) is. I don't know where most of their cities are either, other than Cape Town and Johannesburg. Im not saying Vancouver can't improve, but to sit and whine about what somebody from NOWHERE thinks or doesn't know about Vancouver - that's just petty and immaterial.

Rather than complaining about it on this site, perhaps some of you should lobby your government or vote people in to open the skies of Vancouver and promote Vancouver so it can compete. The city has the potential to really be the Singapore of North America.

nickinacan
Dec 8, 2008, 4:53 PM
The city has the potential to really be the Singapore of North America.

With the radical nimbyism in Vancouver, I wouldn't doubt chewing gum will cease to exist.

vansky
Dec 8, 2008, 4:58 PM
new york, singapore and hong kong, these are names I have heard since childhood. as an immigrant, I haven't even heard of Canada before my friend told me that he immigrated here. obvisouly this city is unknown to a lot of people.

giallo
Dec 8, 2008, 6:29 PM
You hadn't heard of Canada? Seriously? How old were you when you found out?
I've taught six year olds in China and Taiwan that know of Canada.

trofirhen
Dec 8, 2008, 6:55 PM
Yeah, Seattle is a huge hub for Alaska and the smaller cities of the US NW. A lot of flight options go from major cities like Chicago, NY, to Seattle then on to Spokane or Missoula or Eugene, OR or Bellingham/Yakima/Pasco - resulting in a lot of double counting.

I would say, of Seattle's Pax traffic; 10M would be true domestic origin/destination *with Vancouverites probably making up 1M of that (who knows?), 16M would be transient, 3M International. Vancouver puts up way more International (and often is something most Seattleites are jealous about). JFK also handles roughly the same amount of PAX as Seattle but you would have to agree that JFK is MUCH busier and definitely has more O/D passengers.

As for double counting, Atlanta is a MAJOR offender (87M is really more like 25 M, 5M international, plus 57M who are double counted). Atlanta is WAY more of a major business center than Seattle despite being only 1.5 times larger.

I would say Vancouver's demise in relative EUROPEAN TRAFFIC has more to do with Canadian regulations than Vancouver as it's status as an international city. Keep in mind, Seattle only has service to one city European city that Vancouver does not (and it isn't a daily I don't think), Vancouver does have more flag carriers to Europe (and definitely to Asia).
Seattle recently lost it's China Air service, Im not sure the Hanian Air to Beijing will last much longer either (the ONLY service to China btw). Only ONE airline (United) has ONE flight to japan (I hear Delta is dropping the NW flight), and NOW only one airline has one flight to Taiwan. ...

One more thing, I live in Seattle and USE SeaTac airport. I travel to Japan for business - and on numerous times, non-business people will ask me where I am from; I say Seattle, and they look confused and perplexed. Then I say, near Vancouver and they immediately chime in with - Oh, Vancouver... very nice city. ditto that for people from China and Taiwan.

Who cares if somebody from South Africa doens't know where Vancouver (or Seattle) is. I don't know where most of their cities are either, other than Cape Town and Johannesburg. Im not saying Vancouver can't improve, but to sit and whine about what somebody from NOWHERE thinks or doesn't know about Vancouver - that's just petty and immaterial.

Rather than complaining about it on this site, perhaps some of you should lobby your government or vote people in to open the skies of Vancouver and promote Vancouver so it can compete. The city has the potential to really be the Singapore of North America.
- - - :banana: - - -
Whether or not Vancouver has the potential to be the Singapore of North America, one main, or rather THE MAIN reason that more airlines aren't flying out of here to Dubai, Paris, New Delhi, Rome or whatever unserved, yet necessary, destination you care to name (unless you enjoy the priviledge of changing planes at Toronto's new "Superterminal 1") is simply because: :D the federal government has MPs. :D MPs want to keep their jobs. :D Regarding air transport, more MPs will keep their jobs if they cater to the large Ontario and Quebec population centres where the voters live. :D Therefore, it is in their interest to make people in Vancouver who want to fly to Paris in 8 hours, to change in Toronto and take 14 hours instead. Ditto for many other markets, such as Rome or Dubai. The government wants the airlines to serve their voting base,:worship: and that's why Montreal, and even moreso Toronto, are the "gateways" to Canada, and Vancouver is still a "spoke, " and not a "hub." :jester: Japan Airlines flies nonstop Tokyo-Toronto. Now Air Canada wants to serve Toronto - New Zealand with a flight that touches down at Los Angeles for fuel. (With a 787 Dreamliner, they could make it a nonstop) * Does Vancouver have a Paris non-stop, an air market estimated at being possibly second in Europe after London? NOPE* Why? No French air lines are allowed to land at Vancouver. What about Air Canada? If you hadn't already guessed, it makes you go through Toronto, or perhaps Montreal. Emirates? Change in Toronto. Ditto Eithad Airlines of Abu Dhabi. Ditto Air India (even though a Delhi-Vancouver nonstop was supposed to come onstream in 2008, but never did. Thank you, Mr. Cannon) UNTIL CANADA NEGOTIATES SOME FORM OF "OPEN SKIES" AGREEMENT, VANCOUVER WILL BE A "SPOKE" CITY, REGARDLESS OF HOW ECONOMICALLY STRAGIC IT BECOMES. GOVERNMENT REGULATION IS TYING THINGS UP, TO VANCOUVER's DISADVANTAGE. UNDERSTAND, FOLKS? :hell:

Gordon
Dec 8, 2008, 7:13 PM
Non stop Toronto - Aukland is that even possible from what i understand yvr to Aukland is at the outside edge of the of the 777s range. The 777 200LR can do the flight

punkster1982
Dec 9, 2008, 6:51 AM
To be fair, many of these bilateral agreements are decades old, when Vancouver was nothing more than a logging town. Unfortunately, many of these deals haven't been updated since then and still name Montreal and Toronto as the only points they are allowed to land. However, the federal government is currently in negotiations with the EU for an open-skies type deal that would likely me an increase in flights from Vancouver. Germany is one of BC's largest tourist sources, they love outdoor adventures and I'm sure would help support a few new flights into Vancouver and Calgary. I think the open-skied deal we signed with the UK a few years back is proof the demand is there since even Winnipeg, Ottawa, and Halifax have seen increases in direct flights there in the summer.

sacrifice333
Dec 9, 2008, 3:07 PM
- - - :banana: - - -
Whether or not Vancouver has the potential to be the Singapore of North America, one main, or rather THE MAIN reason that more airlines aren't flying out of here to Dubai, Paris, New Delhi, Rome or whatever unserved, yet necessary, destination you care to name (unless you enjoy the priviledge of changing planes at Toronto's new "Superterminal 1") is simply because: :D the federal government has MPs. :D MPs want to keep their jobs. :D Regarding air transport, more MPs will keep their jobs if they cater to the large Ontario and Quebec population centres where the voters live. :D Therefore, it is in their interest to make people in Vancouver who want to fly to Paris in 8 hours, to change in Toronto and take 14 hours instead. Ditto for many other markets, such as Rome or Dubai. The government wants the airlines to serve their voting base,:worship: and that's why Montreal, and even moreso Toronto, are the "gateways" to Canada, and Vancouver is still a "spoke, " and not a "hub." :jester: Japan Airlines flies nonstop Tokyo-Toronto. Now Air Canada wants to serve Toronto - New Zealand with a flight that touches down at Los Angeles for fuel. (With a 787 Dreamliner, they could make it a nonstop) * Does Vancouver have a Paris non-stop, an air market estimated at being possibly second in Europe after London? NOPE* Why? No French air lines are allowed to land at Vancouver. What about Air Canada? If you hadn't already guessed, it makes you go through Toronto, or perhaps Montreal. Emirates? Change in Toronto. Ditto Eithad Airlines of Abu Dhabi. Ditto Air India (even though a Delhi-Vancouver nonstop was supposed to come onstream in 2008, but never did. Thank you, Mr. Cannon) UNTIL CANADA NEGOTIATES SOME FORM OF "OPEN SKIES" AGREEMENT, VANCOUVER WILL BE A "SPOKE" CITY, REGARDLESS OF HOW ECONOMICALLY STRAGIC IT BECOMES. GOVERNMENT REGULATION IS TYING THINGS UP, TO VANCOUVER's DISADVANTAGE. UNDERSTAND, FOLKS? :hell:

It's so outdated... I'll fly direct to London or Amsterdam first every time and then fly to my final destination from there.

No Toronto from me, unless absolutely required.

One has to go through Toronto for most Caribbean destinations too if they're not a charter. :hell:

yesheh
Dec 9, 2008, 5:30 PM
Well, you can have your cake and eat it too...

Canada reaches aviation pact with European Union
3 hours ago
BRUSSELS, Belgium — The European Union and Canada have reached a landmark deal to open up their air services markets to each other.
EU Transport Commissioner Antonio Tajani says the pact will lead to more transatlantic trade and spur competition in the air services sector. He says the deal, which removes restrictions on ownership and direct flights, makes "the EU-Canada market one of the most open in the world."
Expected to come into force in the first half of 2009, the deal will allow airlines based in the 27-member European Union bloc to operate direct flights to Canada from anywhere in Europe.
It removes restrictions on routes, prices and the number of flights allowed between the two sides.
It also foresees a phase-out of restrictions on investment and foreign ownership in airlines and could lead to European investors setting up airline operations in Canada.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jZ2ZjR5X-PvDFd4LoOy-toJXT_pQ

Here's hoping for a few more direct flights to/from Vancouver.

flight_from_kamakura
Dec 9, 2008, 5:36 PM
With the radical nimbyism in Vancouver, I wouldn't doubt chewing gum will cease to exist.

hAHAHAH.

seriously, if there's an award for inside humor specific to the vancouver skyscraper page forum, you've just won it. "radical nimbyism"! classic!

LeftCoaster
Dec 9, 2008, 5:39 PM
"It also foresees a phase-out of restrictions on investment and foreign ownership in airlines and could lead to European investors setting up airline operations in Canada."

Amazing. Fingers crossed for Ryan Air.

Hourglass
Dec 10, 2008, 7:40 PM
Amazing. Fingers crossed for Ryan Air.

Please. No.

Or were you being tongue in cheek...? ;)

LeftCoaster
Dec 10, 2008, 7:59 PM
No not at all... why would you not want ryan air in Canada??

I have taken over a dozen flights with Ryan air and had only positive experiances.

Yume-sama
Dec 10, 2008, 8:16 PM
I hope we get flights to Paris, Rome, and Madrid.

Then we can go ANYWHERE :P

eduardo88
Dec 10, 2008, 8:30 PM
ryanair to vancouver is never going to happen. and why would you want it to happen? i hate flying with them, though i hate easyjet even more, thats why i only use BA when i go back to berlin on weekends now.

LeftCoaster
Dec 10, 2008, 9:29 PM
well idealy we could all fly BA, but when I was a student backpacking around europe Ryan Air was a godsend. Its great for what it is, a low cost people mover. Comparing it to a national airline like BA or Lufthansa is like comparing a Rolls Royce to a bus.

trofirhen
Dec 11, 2008, 8:48 PM
The recent announcement of an "open skies" type agreement between Canada and the 27 -nation EU Bloc doesn't automatically mean that Ryanair will dominate most new overseas European routes out of Vancouver.:cool: But what if it did, anyway?:shrug: We'd be getting more destinations at cheaper prices than with Air Canada or European flag carriers. Ditto Easy-Jet.
I am not advocating all new European routes be awarded to Ryananir or Easyjet. Far from it. All I'm say is that (with a gasp of disbelieving relief):rolleyes: Air Canada, Westjet, Transat (which are now our principal flag carriers) and whomever else you care to name, be it Iberia, Swiss Air Lines, Air France, SAS, and yes, even Ryanair and Easyjet, will now, finally, at last, after so many years of being shut out of YVR, :notacrook: have a chance to offer more cities, more service, at competitive prices.:banana: Is the thought of having to BUY an inflight meal a problem for you? Is flying in a stretch 737 off-putting comared to a Boeing or an Airbus 340? Then go build a boat and paddle across the Atlantic. We are due for more destinations, more airlines, and lower fares. It may take six months or more, but it's on its way. :frog: So quit whinging, and appreciate the wider choice of destinations and (hopefully) lower prices that are coming!!:jester: If anyone disagrees with this, please tell me.:hell: - and - as they say in university - JUSTIFY YOUR RESPONSE, OK.? We're FINALLY on our way, free of the shackles that have held us back for so many years, and here you are whining about "oh... no... please... not Ryanair..." :sly: Just take your thumb out of your mouth and appreciate the turn of events. !