PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133

libtard
Sep 19, 2017, 9:57 PM
Lots of earth moving going on around Templeton Station. That gravel parking lot has been completely torn up. Excavators everywhere. Anyone know whats getting built there?

teriyaki
Sep 20, 2017, 1:12 AM
Very curious about this as well. Don't remember it being highlighted on the 2020 plan.

Gordon
Sep 20, 2017, 3:28 AM
Could that construction have anything to do with the Runway end Safety area?

I wonder if the New AC YVR Mel service might connect with and American City As Brisbane does with EWR.

I wonder why West jet Doesn't have any Bridge adapters for the b gates so Encore could use them?

casper
Sep 20, 2017, 5:03 AM
I wonder why West jet Doesn't have any Bridge adapters for the b gates so Encore could use them?

No idea. However, what I have noticed,

Both AC and WestJet, In Saskatoon (where it gets a bit cold in winter), almost always uses bridges for the Q400 aircraft. They get a lot of Q400.

Both AC and WestJet, In Victoria (where snow is a justification for declaring a natural disaster with military support), almost always Q400 are served on hard stands even when bridges are available.

Perhaps in Vancouver its not worth it, while it is worth it in Calgary and Saskatoon.

mezzanine
Sep 20, 2017, 5:18 AM
AC's investors day (https://www.aircanada.com/content/dam/aircanada/portal/documents/PDF/speeches-presentations/en/investor-day-2017.pdf) came and went. Nothing ground-breaking I can parse, but a few things I think I gleaned:

Growth to be concentrated at YVR, YYZ and YUL (no surprise). YYC gets in as a 'regional hub', but mainline wide body, narrow body and rouge to be focused on "three powerful hubs"
Emphasis on Rouge and 'low-cost fares' to fight the planned ULCCs and WJ's push into Asia. Growing Rouge flights on domestic routes and to Asia (https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/air-canada-seeking-credit-card-partner-for-new-loyalty-program/article36296202/) has been reported.
?Expansion of BMW service? I assume this is similar to what LH offers to F passengers. Is this already a thing with AC?
Wifi on all wide body flights by 2019 (finally!)

LeftCoaster
Sep 20, 2017, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the link.

Looks like the days of big AC growth are coming to an end for the foreseeable future. Still some growth opportunities though, like Rouge across the Pacific as you noted and some US/Latin flying on the narrow body expansion.

Likely going to be a slow down in the big announcements until WJ gets its Dreamliners though, and that's assuming they will actually stick to their plan to fly longhaul out of YVR, which I'm still not totally convinced they will do.

trofirhen
Sep 20, 2017, 10:18 PM
Sounds like they are looking to launch SEA direct yes.

Won't this take a bite out of the Vancouver frequencies, and/or revenue?

thenoflyzone
Sep 21, 2017, 12:04 AM
With YYZ going direct from Manilla on Philippine Airlines attention is turning to where the 4xPW YVR tag on will go next.

Key contenders seem to be:

MNL-YVR-ORD
MNL-YVR-IAH
MNL-YVR-LAS
MNL-YVR-SAN

This article (http://philippineairspace.blogspot.ca/) quotes the PAL president as saying they would like to Fly YVR to IAH and ORD, replacing the YYZ and NYC Routes. I'd be totally cool with this as SAN can transfer through LAX so easily and another carrier to LAS is hardly interesting.

Thoughts?

ORD will eventually be non stop, once they have enough A350s. The YVR tag is to buy time for the A350s to arrive.
SAN makes sense, due to runway length and obstacle clearance on departure, making a non stop to MNL a non-starter.
They already tried YVR-LAS, what's different now?
YVR-IAH could work also. But again, MNL-JFK and MNL-IAH are the same distance, so a non stop to IAH is also possible, if demand is there.

They only have 6 A350's on order, so starting more than 3 or 4 ULH routes is highly unlikely.

LeftCoaster
Sep 21, 2017, 9:37 PM
Well the demand at IAH is presumably lower than JFK.

If you think ORD will go non-stop then their 6 A350s will go to YYZ, JFK and ORD.

Leaving YVR-SAN, YVR-IAH or YVR-LAS.

LAS was cancelled in favour of YYZ which is clearly a stronger market. The difference now is they can serve YYZ non-stop leaving LAS as the next best option.

Gordon
Sep 21, 2017, 10:04 PM
It would be nice to have some South East Asian markets from YVR .

LeftCoaster
Sep 22, 2017, 6:35 PM
Sounds like AF is going to start serving SEA.

Not sure if this means they are taking over the DL route or it is being expanded.

Lots of new PNW-Paris capacity now.

casper
Sep 22, 2017, 8:21 PM

Not sure if this means they are taking over the DL route or it is being expanded.

I have done the Delta flight to Paris twice. It fells like there were a lot of connecting passengers both times.

trofirhen
Sep 23, 2017, 3:38 AM

I have done the Delta flight to Paris twice. It fells like there were a lot of connecting passengers both times.

I would like to know if this has any implications for YVR><Europe (Paris) pax. Is our market share shrinking or not? Also, how can SEA keep this up if EK is going great guns from there?

Rusty Gull
Sep 23, 2017, 6:20 AM
I think Paine Field has the potential to cause real pain to BLI. BLI relies on Canadian traffic and local Bellingham users. Paine field will have the advantage of a much larger population center ( everything North of Seattle ) and it's only an hour extra for Bellingham residents. With the Canadian Dollar the way it is, BLI is less attractive... although you do save on international fees.

I don't see it this way (in terms of the threat from Paine Field). The Canadian dollar is definitely impacting the sun-seeker flights, but their daily services to Seattle or Portland aren't going to suffer at all. In that sense, it's well balanced. The airport wisely renovated during the last boom, which situates it well for future growth in the Bellingham area, and for handling the ebbs and flows of the Canadian traffic. With the Canadian dollar rising, it won't be long until we see a turnaround in cross-border usage of BLI. However, BLI could use more domestic routes in the West (ie, a Denver or Salt Lake City).

thenoflyzone
Sep 23, 2017, 1:20 PM
AF/KL and DL have a joint venture across the Atlantic. It doesn't matter who operates SEA-CDG. They share the costs and profits. This should have little to no impact on YVR.

In fact, AF used to serve SEA a few years back. If memory serves, DL took over with the B763 as it was better suited for route at the time. Currently DL operates an A333 on SEA-CDG.

The upgauge in metal from from 763 to A333 tells me the route has matured, and so an AF return seems logical. AF's costs of operations are usually higher than that of DL's, so they might have been waiting for the demand to pick up to send something bigger and better to SEA. They could be taking over the route with a 772/77W/789, or they could launch a second daily with something smaller (A332).

I would like to know if this has any implications for YVR><Europe (Paris) pax. Is our market share shrinking or not? Also, how can SEA keep this up if EK is going great guns from there?

EK has no market share from SEA to Europe. EK's bread and butter is North America/Europe-India traffic. Yes, AF offers some connection possibilities to DEL, BLR and BOM, but that is not the main reason why AF or DL serve SEA-CDG.

Cage
Sep 23, 2017, 11:42 PM

The implication for YVR of AF SEA-CDG are negative. If DL wants to make SEA the Skyteam hub and needs connection traffic to justify the city/airport paying for expansion of the international terminal, then traffic could switch from the YVR flight to the SEA flight.

That said, I suspect that AC has seen interest in protecting their turf from WS. So AC could fill AF's shoes and make YVR-CDG daily in the event that AF moves the flight over to SEA.

While EK is going great guns, they cannot bring in the A380. This limits their disruptive abilities into the SEA market. Also, the EK hub strategy at DXB is limited to 2 banks that are about 6 hours apart. The current SEA schedule hits both banks so there isn't much room for growth.

trofirhen
Sep 24, 2017, 5:34 AM
The implication for YVR of AF SEA-CDG are negative. If DL wants to make SEA the Skyteam hub and needs connection traffic to justify the city/airport paying for expansion of the international terminal, then traffic could switch from the YVR flight to the SEA flight.

That said, I suspect that AC has seen interest in protecting their turf from WS. So AC could fill AF's shoes and make YVR-CDG daily in the event that AF moves the flight over to SEA.

Does this portend a possible loss of AF at YVR? And is AC (*A) willing to move in to take up that slot year-round? I thought AC & LH, both being *A, would block this, as before 2015.
I'd hate to lose Air France at YVR.

thenoflyzone
Sep 24, 2017, 11:55 AM
Seems AF will start SEA with the B789, and that DL will keep operating the route as well.
DL will upgauge SEA-CDG to a B772 next summer.

Still early though, a lot of things can change from now until S18.

In the mean time, both YVR and SEA are seeing increased flying options to CDG. I don't see the negative here for YVR. With our currency still weaker than the US, if anything, YVR still has the upper hand.

I don't think the crowd that drives from one city to another to catch a flight is that huge to begin with. And that's certainly not what keeps YVR's AF flight afloat. Driving between the two cities is still a 3 - 3.5 hour ordeal with some traffic and customs. Pain in the ass.

If YVR can't hold down it's AF flight, it will probably have more to do with AC's launch of the route, not AF/DL's increases at SEA.

s211
Sep 24, 2017, 4:45 PM
Am I missing something? I'm pretty sure that Air France was flying Seattle-Paris well before they implemented the Vancouver-Paris flight. I could swear I saw it a few years ago when planning a Paris trip.

Was the Seattle-Paris flight cancelled?

thenoflyzone
Sep 24, 2017, 7:29 PM
^ read one of my posts above about the AF/DL joint venture.

Hot Rod
Sep 26, 2017, 4:28 AM
Vancouver International Airport wins World Routes 2017 Marketing Awards (http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/breaking-news/274977/vancouver-international-airport-wins-world-routes-2017-marketing-awards/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=the-hub-daily&utm_campaign=the-hub-daily-AME&utm_content=the-hub-daily-20170926)

Hot Rod
Sep 26, 2017, 4:31 AM
Vancouver's sustainable gateway ambitions (http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/breaking-news/274974/vancouvers-sustainable-gateway-ambitions/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=the-hub-daily&utm_campaign=the-hub-daily-AME&utm_content=the-hub-daily-20170926)

YVR is targeting growth across all sectors, with many unserved and underserved routes offering airlines opportunities for expansion. For example, destinations such as Miami, Washington, D.C. in the U.S. and Bangkok, Singapore and Vietnam in Asia do not currently have direct air service from YVR—we want to change that

Johnny Aussie
Sep 26, 2017, 9:24 AM
Vancouver International Airport wins World Routes 2017 Marketing Awards (http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/breaking-news/274977/vancouver-international-airport-wins-world-routes-2017-marketing-awards/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=the-hub-daily&utm_campaign=the-hub-daily-AME&utm_content=the-hub-daily-20170926)

Fantastic result there. Saw that on Twitter earlier :)

Vancouver's sustainable gateway ambitions (http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/breaking-news/274974/vancouvers-sustainable-gateway-ambitions/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=the-hub-daily&utm_campaign=the-hub-daily-AME&utm_content=the-hub-daily-20170926)

Yup... IAD, MIA, BKK, SIN and SGN are all plausible new destinations :runaway:

Interesting tidbit about Westjet too.... :runaway:

trofirhen
Sep 27, 2017, 1:31 AM
The 219 percent tax to be levied on the Bombardier CSeries sold in The USA will, of course, be devasting for Canadian aerospace.
Only DELTA made a significant purchase before the tax was applied. Just how devastating will this be for us? Any opinions?
Any extrapolations?

mezzanine
Sep 27, 2017, 3:28 AM
The newly expanded international MLL opened at YVR today. Looks good.

https://www.aircanada.com/content/dam/aircanada/portal/images/galleries/thumbnail/yvr_mll_intl_5.jpg

https://www.aircanada.com/content/dam/aircanada/portal/images/galleries/thumbnail/yvr_mll_intl_1.jpg

Did they remove their open bar and put it behind the counter now? :(
https://www.aircanada.com/content/dam/aircanada/portal/images/galleries/thumbnail/yvr_mll_intl_7.jpg

They also seem to highlight a hot food station with chef-prepared foods.

Hot and cold dining options, including a feature salad by celebrated Vancouver Chef David Hawksworth, a chef's station for individually prepared dishes, along with wines from Canada and from around the world.

https://www.aircanada.com/content/dam/aircanada/portal/images/galleries/thumbnail/yvr_mll_intl_6.jpg

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2017-09-26-Air-Canada-Unveils-New-Vancouver-International-Maple-Leaf-Lounge-Showcasing-BC-and-Canadian-Design-and-Artwork

Johnny Aussie
Sep 27, 2017, 4:34 AM

Agreed... looks fantastic!

Happy to see this upgrade as it was muchly needed.

Will have an up close and personal look soon.

casper
Sep 27, 2017, 4:49 AM
The 219 percent tax to be levied on the Bombardier CSeries sold in The USA will, of course, be devasting for Canadian aerospace.
Only DELTA made a significant purchase before the tax was applied. Just how devastating will this be for us? Any opinions?
Any extrapolations?

It is absurd given something like 50% of the aircraft is from components from the US. Canada needs to play hard-ball.

We now have a US ambassador to Canada, she starts today. Perhaps not accepting her credential and sending her back is the first step.

moosejaw
Sep 27, 2017, 4:00 PM
Any extrapolations?

It certainly is. The only cards Bombardier has in the deck is that the Canadian Govt is getting ready to purchase 18 super hornets but honestly I think that is small potatoes given that Boeing knows Canada requires a twin engine fighter style aircraft (all other fighters are single engine) to supplant its air force and if some new aircraft would require new training, new pilots, new maintenance requirements. If anything Canada could delay or cancel the order in its entirety

Another thing helping Canada is North Ireland is a Bombardier manufacturer and the UK govt is trying to convince the US to relax the tariff as it could affect thousands of workers. So you have two countries trying to remedy the situation

Thirdly Delta has come out in support stating that for no matter the price no American manufacturer offers a 100 seat jet therefore it doesn't pose a threat to US Aviation Manufacturers.

Fourthly that lady Chrystia Freedland finally made some sense when she quoted over 23,000 parts are sourced from American second and third tier manufacturers/suppliers. She was a disaster on Bill Maher about a year ago blubbering about US immigration/Trump. Glad to see she can actually help a situation (that night was horrendous for my Canadian family visiting and watching HBO) I remember the press wasn't too kind to her as well as well Bill can be sort of vicious. LOL

deasine
Sep 27, 2017, 10:25 PM

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2017-09-26-Air-Canada-Unveils-New-Vancouver-International-Maple-Leaf-Lounge-Showcasing-BC-and-Canadian-Design-and-Artwork

Oh! Did this expand into the former Cathay Pacific space?

Much needed - the International MLL was always packed!

osirisboy
Sep 27, 2017, 11:14 PM
Oh! Did this expand into the former Cathay Pacific space?

Much needed - the International MLL was always packed!

Where did Cathay pacific go to?

Hourglass
Sep 28, 2017, 3:26 AM
Where did Cathay pacific go to?

Between gate D66 and D67, accessible by an elevator that goes up. The lounge itself is really nice, much better than the old one.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/about-us/press-room/press-release/2016/New-Cathay-Pacific-Lounge-opens-at-Vancouver.html?switch=Y

trofirhen
Sep 28, 2017, 10:54 PM
A goodly number of French people, and others, travel from Paris to Tahiti throughout the year. The most direct route arcs over North America at Winnipeg. YVR is 49 miles further. Thus

Is there no market for at least a seasonal service to YVR from Tahiti? There seem to be enough people around with money.
And at that distance just a small fuel $$ increase. We could do it. imo

vanlaw
Sep 28, 2017, 11:43 PM
A goodly number of French people, and others, travel from Paris to Tahiti throughout the year. The most direct route arcs over North America at Winnipeg. YVR is 49 miles further. Thus

Is there no market for at least a seasonal service to YVR from Tahiti? There seem to be enough people around with money.
And at that distance just a small fuel $$ increase. We could do it. imo

The most direct route arcs over North America at Winnipeg.....and passes almost directly over LAX, which is the route AF flies...pretty sure they have this one figured out.

Is there no market for at least a seasonal service to YVR from Tahiti...which, on average, gets more rain in the December to March period than Vancouver.....

trofirhen
Sep 29, 2017, 12:31 AM
The most direct route arcs over North America at Winnipeg.....and passes almost directly over LAX, which is the route AF flies...pretty sure they have this one figured out.

Is there no market for at least a seasonal service to YVR from Tahiti...which, on average, gets more rain in the December to March period than Vancouver.....

Your point is well taken. Thank you.;) (I checked out the climate statistics)

trofirhen
Sep 29, 2017, 1:12 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swoop_(airline) .... just to make it legal.

Swoop is a Westjet low-cost (-40% off everything) starting June 2018. Airports mentioned are Abbotsford, Hamilton, Waterloo, and Windsor. Sad not to have a broad-range low cost at YVR
Not the same thing as Southwest, I know, but a way of getting around the country without paying through the nose would be great.

twoNeurons
Sep 29, 2017, 5:13 PM

Swoop is a Westjet low-cost (-40% off everything) starting June 2018. Airports mentioned are Abbotsford, Hamilton, Waterloo, and Windsor. Sad not to have a broad-range low cost at YVR
Not the same thing as Southwest, I know, but a way of getting around the country without paying through the nose would be great.

YVR charges a hefty surcharge fee. I wish they'd just build it into the landing fees for airlines. I understand it's all about making the airport look attractive to airlines, but its consistently annoying to see the $20 charge tacked on to tickets when you redeem a rewards flight on Aeroplan or Avios... especially when you're buying 4 tickets.

Oh well, on my next journey, I'm taking the family trip to Cancun out of Seattle. American Express... the gift that keeps on giving.

casper
Sep 30, 2017, 12:58 AM

I think the answer to the question "Is WestJet the Canadian version of SouthWest?" Is No.....

WestJet was like Southwest when it started. No interlining. It quickly became more like a regular airline especially once it got a real computer system that can interline and codeshare with others.

The Snoop thing (what a name), sounds like it is going to be like Ryanair or Agillant or Spirit. All airlines one should avoid at all cost. Well I guess they are ok if you enjoy being charged little service fees for every interaction or you don't care if you flight is delayed by a day or two.

trofirhen
Sep 30, 2017, 1:11 AM
I think the answer to the question "Is WestJet the Canadian version of SouthWest?" Is No.....

WestJet was like Southwest when it started. No interlining. It quickly became more like a regular airline especially once it got a real computer system that can interline and codeshare with others.

The Snoop thing (what a name), sounds like it is going to be like Ryanair or Agillant or Spirit. All airlines one should avoid at all cost. Well I guess they are ok if you enjoy being charged little service fees for every interaction or you don't care if you flight is delayed by a day or two.

Thanks for the heads-up. Another disappointment. (And it's "SWOOP" not "SNOOP" haha.) Thanx ;)

Gordon
Sep 30, 2017, 7:23 PM
Are there any significant route announcements expected?

With gate D59 still being used on a daily basis if this continues how willl this location be used when de- icing is being done?

Gate D\E 75 is almost never used, with the exception of AC to ewr. Is there some construction happening around that gate?

jollyburger
Sep 30, 2017, 10:03 PM
Domestic arrival baggage thief:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/yvr-luggage-stolen-1.4310704

s211
Oct 1, 2017, 1:02 AM
Domestic arrival baggage thief:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/yvr-luggage-stolen-1.4310704

Kind of surprised that Vancouver still has luggage carousels open to the general public. Toronto hasn't had that in what... 20 years at least, if not more.

casper
Oct 1, 2017, 3:21 AM
Kind of surprised that Vancouver still has luggage carousels open to the general public. Toronto hasn't had that in what... 20 years at least, if not more.

Toronto does for domestic. Terminal 3 far side, you can walk in to the luggage area. Terminal 1, you need to go up one level and down the escalator into the baggage claim area.

trofirhen
Oct 1, 2017, 3:59 AM

Toronto does for domestic. Terminal 3 far side, you can walk in to the luggage area. Terminal 1, you need to go up one level and down the escalator into the baggage claim area.

You speak here of an older carousel baggage claim system and a newer, more modern one. Could I ask anyone to show pictures/ Thank you for your time and consideration.
*>>>>
Second question: SEA competition. Apparently if Thai opens YVR, they'll open SEA as well, though AC may do that at YVR, but still new direct competition from SEA. Then there's the AF/DL Paris thing, with AF risking dropping YVR.
Plus PAL is planning to open SEA, ending YVR PNW monopoly there, though AC may open that, but there's still new competition. AU/NZ is our only exclusive turf for the moment.

Orcair
Oct 1, 2017, 3:08 PM
I mean it wouldn't be that hard to enclose the baggage claim area - they already have those half walls up. Just create an exit to the SkyTrain on the departures level and then enclose the hallway en route to the baggage claim.

s211
Oct 1, 2017, 5:12 PM

Either the old T1 or T3 many years ago for sure had a secure baggage claim area. I recall it clearly back then thinking "how unusual", from a Western Canadian perspective that is.

casper
Oct 2, 2017, 2:35 AM
Either the old T1 or T3 many years ago for sure had a secure baggage claim area. I recall it clearly back then thinking "how unusual", from a Western Canadian perspective that is.

I don't think they have ever been enclosed they are just designed to look like they are

s211
Oct 2, 2017, 3:12 AM
I don't think they have ever been enclosed they are just designed to look like they are

There certainly was. There were enclosed rooms with sliding doors. Anyhow, something that Vancouver could certainly consider. Wouldn't be much different than the international wing, in that way.

casper
Oct 2, 2017, 10:44 PM
There certainly was. There were enclosed rooms with sliding doors. Anyhow, something that Vancouver could certainly consider. Wouldn't be much different than the international wing, in that way.

Even today for Terminal 3 you pass through sliding glass doors when you exit the baggage claim area. However you walk to far right hand side of the baggage claim are there is an open entrance.

In Terminal 1 there are sliding glass doors when exit baggage claim. However if you want to get into the areal just go one floor and follow the signs to the escalator down to baggage claim.

It is about creating the felling and perception that the area is secure without it being secure

Klazu
Oct 2, 2017, 11:57 PM
I have always loved how there is no security nonsense at YVR domestic arrivals, but of course the thought of luggage theft has crossed my mind too. It has still been a remaining sign of better times when airports were not subject to all the ridiculous security circus they are today.

Kinda sad to see these innocent times becoming past everywhere. Our society is not progress, but regressing... :(

LeftCoaster
Oct 3, 2017, 6:38 PM
Interview with Carl Jones, director, air service development at Vancouver Airport Authority from routes online had a few gems in it, including hinting at a big upcoming Westjet announcement and an idea of where they are targeting their efforts right now
http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/breaking-news/274974/vancouvers-sustainable-gateway-ambitions/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=the-hub-daily&utm_campaign=the-hub-daily-AME&utm_content=the-hub-daily-20170926

"YVR is targeting growth across all sectors, with many unserved and underserved routes offering airlines opportunities for expansion. For example, destinations such as Miami, Washington, D.C. in the U.S. and Bangkok, Singapore and Vietnam in Asia do not currently have direct air service from YVR—we want to change that.

He also said they are targeting enhanced services to Latin America including Peru, Chile and Brazil.

Johnny Aussie
Oct 3, 2017, 6:42 PM
http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1275

3 weekly from 15 March then daily from 28 April.

So YVR-MEX will have AC, AM, 4O, CZ and now WS on the route.

That will be competitive!

Johnny Aussie
Oct 3, 2017, 6:45 PM
Interview with Carl Jones, director, air service development at Vancouver Airport Authority from routes online had a few gems in it, including hinting at a big upcoming Westjet announcement and an idea of where they are targeting their efforts right now
http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/breaking-news/274974/vancouvers-sustainable-gateway-ambitions/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=the-hub-daily&utm_campaign=the-hub-daily-AME&utm_content=the-hub-daily-20170926

He also said they are targeting enhanced services to Latin America including Peru, Chile and Brazil.

That was already posted by Hot Rod on the previous page and I commented with two :runaway:

:haha:

LeftCoaster
Oct 3, 2017, 6:53 PM
Haha whoops, I was gone for a week so clearly skimmed a bit too fast trying to get through a weeks worth of threads.

I sure hope the MEX announcement wasn't the big international WJ announcement, but it probably was. I was hoping for something new in Central America like Costa Rica or Belize.

LeftCoaster
Oct 3, 2017, 8:08 PM
August stats are out, and the growth is back to a decent level:

http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/documents/facts-sheets/2017/august/traffic-update-august-2017.pdf?la=en

Domestic up 7.6%
International up 8.9%

---------

Total pax count up 8.3% and over 193,000 compared to August 2016.

---------

Int'l breakdown by sector:

Transborder up 9.5%
Asia Pacific up 12.6%
Europe down 0.2%
Misc Int'l up 19.6%

And as an added bonus, cargo is up a whopping 27%. No idea what's going on there.

This is not as strong as in past months but is up from the disappointing July growth. Increases are generally in line with capacity additions, however a bit lower. Europe was around a 3% growth in seats but flat in pax. Asia Pac was around 15% growth in seats so 12.6% PAX is a fantastic result and shows more or less all the capacity was absorbed in one year.

I expect YVR will end the year with around 7.75% overall growth for a final count of just on the nose of 24 million.

Johnny Aussie
Oct 3, 2017, 10:07 PM

http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/documents/facts-sheets/2017/august/traffic-update-august-2017.pdf?la=en

Domestic up 7.6%
International up 8.9%

---------

---------

Transborder up 9.5%
Asia Pacific up 12.6%
Europe down 0.2%
Misc Int'l up 19.6%

And as an added bonus, cargo is up a whopping 27%. No idea what's going on there.

This is not as strong as in past months but is up from the disappointing July growth. Increases are generally in line with capacity additions, however a bit lower. Europe was around a 3% growth in seats but flat in pax. Asia Pac was around 15% growth in seats so 12.6% PAX is a fantastic result and shows more or less all the capacity was absorbed in one year.

I expect YVR will end the year with around 7.75% overall growth for a final count of just on the nose of 24 million.

I think because YVR had such a huge increase in 2016 as well, the % increases will slow because YVR is operating off a much higher base. If you look at total international it is over 100,000 higher than August 2016! That's incredible growth.

Looks like MEX will become YVR's #1 international route (outside the USA) in terms of frequencies... YVR-MEX will have gone from 7 weekly to 35 weekly in just under three years.

LeftCoaster
Oct 3, 2017, 10:11 PM
Just bonkers. It's now the 6th biggest international route as I calculate with 5,652 seats per week, just behind Frankfurt and ahead of Tokyo. It's likely larger than Frankfurt too, as Frankfurt is highly seasonal while I think every MEX service is year round with no equipment changes. But that's too much analytics for my lil spreadsheet.

Here's the top 10 as I calculate them today:

https://i.imgur.com/nYCQYIw.png

Hourglass
Oct 4, 2017, 3:01 AM
Looks like MEX will become YVR's #1 international route (outside the USA) in terms of frequencies... YVR-MEX will have gone from 7 weekly to 35 weekly in just under three years.

That's pretty amazing growth. How much of that is connecting traffic I wonder?

YEG
Oct 4, 2017, 5:42 AM
Just bonkers. It's now the 6th biggest international route as I calculate with 5,652 seats per week, just behind Frankfurt and ahead of Tokyo. It's likely larger than Frankfurt too, as Frankfurt is highly seasonal while I think every MEX service is year round with no equipment changes. But that's too much analytics for my lil spreadsheet.

Manila*

connect2source
Oct 4, 2017, 2:38 PM

Domestic up 7.6%
International up 8.9%

---------

---------

Transborder up 9.5%
Asia Pacific up 12.6%
Europe down 0.2%
Misc Int'l up 19.6%

At 16,314,902, as of the end of August 2017, we've already beat the total numbers for all of 2009, 16,179,312 and almost those of 2010, 16,778,774. *source : yvr.ca

LeftCoaster
Oct 4, 2017, 8:14 PM
Wow that's a pretty cool stat.

I guess it also goes without saying that this August was YVRs busiest month ever.

Manila*

Yet it rhymes with vanilla!

Thanks.

TheGreatestX
Oct 5, 2017, 3:38 AM

Shouldn't Taipei be two places higher?

Johnny Aussie
Oct 5, 2017, 5:12 AM
http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-international-airport-connectivity-2017

For those who think YVR is still lacking... look at these lists.

YVR has by far the smallest population of any city on that top 10 list. And look where YVR sits on the global list.

Not too shabby!

;)

excel
Oct 5, 2017, 6:58 AM
Surprising how low PEK and NRT are on that list.

nname
Oct 5, 2017, 8:51 AM
Just checked the schedule for next summer...

YVR-DUB - up to 5 weekly now? (x24)
YVR-KIX - down to 6 weekly? (x6)
YVR-NGO - down to 3 weekly? (246)

So no new destination...?

LeftCoaster
Oct 5, 2017, 6:07 PM
Shouldn't Taipei be two places higher?

Yep, sloppy work on my part. Also, MEX has come down a bit as I had WS flying the route with a 737-800 but they will be using a 737-700.

Hmm, a shame if true. Still a lot of time for summer announcements though.

nname
Oct 5, 2017, 6:22 PM
Hmm, a shame if true. Still a lot of time for summer announcements though.

So even though AC adds YUL-NRT, the overall Japan flying is reduced :shrug:

Oh another thing I've noticed is YVR-DEL is now daily on Dec 7-26... not sure if this was mentioned before...

LeftCoaster
Oct 5, 2017, 6:37 PM
Ya their schedule posted is showing that, great find!

https://services.aircanada.com/portal/rest/timetable/pdf/ac-timetable-en.pdf?locale=en&app_key=AE919FDCC80311DF9BABC975DFD72085

It's also not showing an end date, but I'm guessing that's just because this timetable is only valid until mid Jan?

nname
Oct 5, 2017, 7:28 PM
Just checking out random destinations...

Does DL usually fly random 1-2 weekly YVR-ATL between Dec and Mar, and then daily during the summer??

I don't remember that...

All flights are still in full fare though

LeftCoaster
Oct 5, 2017, 7:44 PM
YVR-ATL daily during the summer happened for S16 I believe, as far as I can tell the winter flights would be new though.

trofirhen
Oct 5, 2017, 9:16 PM
I wonder if there's enough market for YVR - Jo'burg? (probably not, as YYZ would have taken it already). However, the Boeing 77L could handle that from YVR.
Oh, and it's less than 90 days now until the end of 2017. I'm hoping that Johnny will be allowed to tell us what that "groundbreaking, game-changing" flight will be before year's end.

LeftCoaster
Oct 5, 2017, 9:30 PM
YVR-JNB would be the longest route in the world by a comfortable margin. No way that happens whether there is the market or not.

And it's not Johnny's flight to share, the airline will announce it if/when it happens.

nname
Oct 5, 2017, 10:26 PM
I checked the airport site and ATL this year was 3x weekly :???:

And.. for everything going east, I don't think we'll get any before YYZ. So basically we can just look at the YYZ list for possible future destinations :haha:

Johnny Aussie
Oct 5, 2017, 10:52 PM
I checked the airport site and ATL this year was 3x weekly :???:

And.. for everything going east, I don't think we'll get any before YYZ. So basically we can just look at the YYZ list for possible future destinations :haha:

ATL was daily this summer. Not sure what site you are referring?

These flights over winter appear to be new.

YVR-JNB? :haha:

DEL daily? Even for a short period that's awesome.... one of the most seasonal international markets out of YVR.

LeftCoaster
Oct 5, 2017, 11:12 PM

I think he's referencing the destinations and airlines document YVR puts out every (quarter?).

http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/documents/air-services/destinations-brochure_2017_03.pdf?la=en

Which still erroneously says 3xPW in summer 17. You'd think they could get it right.

Great news about the winter flights though, if true it shows some great economic strength since they sure aren't tourism flights during that time of the year.

Johnny Aussie
Oct 5, 2017, 11:34 PM
I think he's referencing the destinations and airlines document YVR puts out every (quarter?).

http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/documents/air-services/destinations-brochure_2017_03.pdf?la=en

Which still erroneously says 3xPW in summer 17. You'd think they could get it right.

Great news about the winter flights though, if true it shows some great economic strength since they sure aren't tourism flights during that time of the year.

Actually ATL is a HUGE connecting hub for Florida and the Caribbean...they’re probably going after a piece of that pie!!

trofirhen
Oct 6, 2017, 7:46 AM
YVR-JNB would be the longest route in the world by a comfortable margin. No way that happens whether there is the market or not.

And it's not Johnny's flight to share, the airline will announce it if/when it happens.

Just a footnote: the Jo'burg thing was pure speculation, nothing but.
More importantly, I know that it is not Johnny's choice to reveal that route. That is the domain of the airline involved. I simply hope they announce it before year's end. Thank you

CareerShow
Oct 6, 2017, 11:49 AM

YVR-JNB? :haha:

DEL daily? Even for a short period that's awesome.... one of the most seasonal international markets out of YVR.

Believe it was actually 6 weekly, with no flights on Wednesday!

thenoflyzone
Oct 6, 2017, 8:28 PM

Someone over on airliners was commenting last week that NGO wasn't performing that well for AC.

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-international-airport-connectivity-2017

For those who think YVR is still lacking... look at these lists.

YVR has by far the smallest population of any city on that top 10 list. And look where YVR sits on the global list.

Not too shabby!

;)

Thanks for the link ! Nice to see Canada's top 3 airports in the Top 50 worldwide.

Johnny Aussie
Oct 10, 2017, 4:56 PM
http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1280

One daily year-round to each on Encore effective 15 December.

LeftCoaster
Oct 10, 2017, 11:01 PM
Pretty shocking WestJet had flights to Edmonton and Calgary before Vancouver from these airports. Just goes to show how Alberta-centric WestJet used to be.

nname
Oct 11, 2017, 12:07 AM
WS also have flight between Comox and Puerto Vallarta first before adding Vancouver :D

Kamloops and Penticton also have WS flight to Calgary but not Vancouver.

mezzanine
Oct 11, 2017, 1:23 AM
Not directly related to YVR, but boeing's 'we love Canada' PR popped into my feed today, probably to counter its actions against bombaridier.

anyone know any info about their ops in Vancouver? seems to figure prominently in their PR info.

http://www.boeing.com/specialty/canada/index.page

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/boeing-trudeau-bombardier-1.4348205

Gordon
Oct 11, 2017, 2:18 AM
Nice to see WS encore growing at yvr, I woncder if they would ever got to Trail\Castlegar.

Why doesn't encore have any bridge adapters so they can use bridges or some of their flights?

Denscity
Oct 11, 2017, 2:41 AM
Nice to see WS encore growing at yvr, I woncder if they would ever got to Trail\Castlegar.

Why doesn't encore have any bridge adapters so they can use bridges or some of their flights?

Oh please Castlegar!!
Trail's runway may be too short and they don't have any security.

excel
Oct 11, 2017, 3:45 AM
Yes Trail is not doable. Their ramp can barely accommodate a Beechcraft 1900 and the runway is too short. Not to mention next to nothing for instrument approaches.

Denscity
Oct 11, 2017, 4:56 AM
Yes Trail is not doable. Their ramp can barely accommodate a Beechcraft 1900 and the runway is too short. Not to mention next to nothing for instrument approaches.

And the south end of their runway is practically on the US border so permission is required to enter that airspace.

Spork
Oct 11, 2017, 5:01 AM
Not directly related to YVR, but boeing's 'we love Canada' PR popped into my feed today, probably to counter its actions against bombaridier.

anyone know any info about their ops in Vancouver? seems to figure prominently in their PR info.

Software and analytics.

casper
Oct 12, 2017, 1:42 AM

Here is the link.... http://www.boeing.ca/boeing-in-canada/boeing-vancouver.page

Operations research, analytics, software etc. Mostly in Richmond and recently they expended in downtown Vancouver. They also have close ties to some BC based companies that do a fair amount of work for them. RaceRock 3D (http://racerocks3d.ca/) in Victoria for one.

Winnipeg is composites.

excel
Oct 12, 2017, 5:03 AM
And the south end of their runway is practically on the US border so permission is required to enter that airspace.

This is not an issue. First off US airspace is only used while conducting the RNAV approach for runway 16 and permission can be granted from Canadian ATC to operate in US airspace while conducting the IFR approach unless there are MOA restrictions outlined in current NOTAMS. Even when the MOA south of the boarder is in use, permission is still granted 99% of the time.

moosejaw
Oct 12, 2017, 2:36 PM
This is not an issue. First off US airspace is only used while conducting the RNAV approach for runway 16 and permission can be granted from Canadian ATC to operate in US airspace while conducting the IFR approach unless there are MOA restrictions outlined in current NOTAMS. Even when the MOA south of the boarder is in use, permission is still granted 99% of the time.

Lot of acronyms used in this response but i believe you are correct.

excel
Oct 12, 2017, 6:42 PM
Lot of acronyms used in this response but i believe you are correct.

It was until I noticed I said runway 16. I meant 34 ;)

Denscity
Oct 12, 2017, 7:23 PM
Aah I had heard the US border was at least a slight issue. Having to get permission whenever needed makes it not 100% reliable enough for one of the big 2 airlines to come into town. Regardless the runway is way too short with no plans to expand. In fact they just repaved the existing short runway. Castlegar's runway however is 5300 feet long with an empty check in desk and plans to double the post security area. And have been in discussions with WestJet Encore regarding new service to YCG.

Max.
Oct 12, 2017, 7:52 PM
Hainan Airline announced the new Shenzhen-Tianjin-Vancouver service starting March, 2018. This flight will operate 2 weekly with B787/A330.

LeftCoaster
Oct 12, 2017, 8:09 PM
Hainan Airline announced the new Shenzhen-Tianjin-Vancouver service starting March, 2018. This flight will operate 2 weekly with B787/A330.

Where did you hear this? Haven't seen any news of it online, at least in the English media.

nname
Oct 12, 2017, 9:16 PM
Where did you hear this? Haven't seen any news of it online, at least in the English media.

http://www.caac.gov.cn/XXGK/XXGK/TZTG/201710/t20171012_47165.html
(in Chinese)

Translate: Hainan Airlines applied to convert the approved TSN-YVR route into SZX-TSN-YVR from Mar 2018, 2x weekly, using A330 or B787.

Basically what Max said...

Johnny Aussie
Oct 12, 2017, 9:22 PM
(in Chinese)

Translate: Hainan Airlines applied to convert the approved TSN-YVR route into SZX-TSN-YVR from Mar 2018, 2x weekly, using A330 or B787.

Well there’s the missing two frequencies allocated finally being used.

Great news!

7th mainland Chinese carrier for YVR and 11 Chinese carriers including HK and Taiwan. FAR OUT!

My reliable source says twice weekly not really ideal or viable but China does have a use it orlose it policy.... so they’ve decided to use it!

LeftCoaster
Oct 12, 2017, 9:24 PM
(in Chinese)

Well then great scoop to Max and thanks for finding the support!

Glad to see the 2 final frequencies used by Chinese airlines. Still hoping that bilateral gets opened up again soon.

nname
Oct 12, 2017, 9:36 PM
Well there’s the missing two frequencies allocated finally being used.

Great news!

7th mainland Chinese carrier for YVR and 11 Chinese carriers including HK and Taiwan. FAR OUT!

My reliable source says twice weekly not really ideal or viable but China does have a use it orlose it policy.... so they’ve decided to use it!

Well, SZX makes sense as it seems like the government there giving out alot of subsidy for long-hual routes (along with this application, HU also applied for SZX-BRU and SZX-DUB, 2x weekly each)

Both CZ and CA are also eying on long-hual from SZX and probably looked at SZX-YVR, but there's no frequency available without reducing other routes. Not sure if AC looked at that either, but they may not get as much subsidy from the government as other Chinese carriers?

Donghai Airlines (DZ, based in SZX) also ordered 789 for long-hual and might possibly go for YVR if it's not taken. But there's no slot left anywhere in North America now...

So I feel in a way, HU not only secure their 2x weekly allocation, but also secure the route from SZX and prevent other Chinese airlines from taking it... unless AC or WS want to join the battle....

===========================

I wonder if this is what the YVR CEO hinted for a "new Chinese carrier coming to Vancouver to be announced later this year"

Johnny Aussie
Oct 12, 2017, 9:50 PM
I wonder if this is what the YVR CEO hinted for a "new Chinese carrier coming to Vancouver to be announced later this year"

It would have to be. It was either going to be Hainan or Tianjin Airlines... both part of the same group.

So that’s it... all Chinese frequencies have been alotted.

YVR will hav one less Mainland Chinese carrier than MEL :P

Also, my source told me the other option was add more YYC-PEK but even though they feel TSN-YVR at 2pw isn’t that viable they’re doing it to secure the route and YVR-TSN at 2pw would be more viable than adding more YYC-PEK. That should say something about YYC-China and YYC-Asia in general . Hence why AC is adding YUL-Asia and cutting back on YYC-NRT and not adding any more flights.

nname
Oct 12, 2017, 10:07 PM
YVR will hav one less Mainland Chinese carrier than MEL :P

Tianjin Airlines?

Well, GS still wants to fly to YVR, and they're still saying that in their press releases... Not sure how they will do that now even if bilateral expanded, as HU will be running the route.

Also, my source told me the other option was add more YYC-PEK but even though they feel TSN-YVR at 2pw isn’t that viable they’re doing it to secure the route and YVR-TSN at 2pw would be more viable than adding more YYC-PEK. That should say something about YYC-China and YYC-Asia in general . Hence why AC is adding YUL-Asia and cutting back on YYC-NRT and not adding any more flights.

Either way they're not making any money I think... Adding the SZX leg is just to find someone to cover some of the loss :D

I remember reading on a Chinese forum saying that none of the secondary Chinese-US route is anywhere close to be profitable... just that some route lose more money than the others... And yet all the Chinese airlines are fighting to get them....

UA's flight to secondary Chinese cities seems to have consistently the highest LF and more expensive, and even they are closing some of them due to loss...