PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 [123] 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133

moosejaw
Nov 21, 2017, 3:43 AM
apple's european headquarters are there too aren't they?

Yes as well as Amazon
Ireland has a real low corporate tax rate as well as a english speaking population that make its very attractive to US companies.

officedweller
Nov 21, 2017, 11:17 PM
Via PriceTags:

YVR socks!

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2467/5227/files/D4D_100px_180x.png?v=1510245777

https://yvrsocks.ca

For every pair of these socks purchased, a pair of warm, thermal socks will be donated to Covenant House, an organization committed to helping Vancouver's homeless and at-risk youth.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2467/5227/products/MG_8394_110x110@2x.jpg?v=1509728782 https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2467/5227/products/MG_8370_110x110@2x.jpg?v=1509041381 https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2467/5227/products/MG_8374_110x110@2x.jpg?v=1510007700
https://yvrsocks.ca

LeftCoaster
Nov 22, 2017, 1:08 AM
I had no idea YVR was getting a Skyteam lounge. Exciting!

Yep, announced several months ago. Looks pretty nice. AC just finished an update of their Intl lounge as well (presumably in response to this). I was flying to Tokyo last week and checked it out, pretty solid, makes it all the more obvious how lacking their domestic lounge is. Upper floor wasn't open when I was there though so still some work to do. They must have wanted to open before SkyTeam.

my guess, if it ever comes to fruition, is Vietnam airlines (https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/50819-vietnam-airlines-eyes-us-debut-in-early-4q18)

There's a big Vietnamese population in Vancouver, but it isn't the wealthiest so I doubt the VFR is going to be a driver here. Strange they would mention Vancouver but then again they also mentioned Montreal which makes no sense so maybe they were just throwing out locations.

If it were to happen it would be huge though. Very unique location for YVR and our first (if Manila doesn't count) SE Asian destination.

AC has just announced a codeshare arrangement with TG for flights from Taipei to Bangkok (https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status/932690060402573314). So it's looking like any medium-term prospect for YVR-BKK will be on TG (if at all).

I'd be surprised, but anythign is possible.

LeftCoaster
Nov 22, 2017, 1:09 AM
I’d say that’s still excellent growth! Don’t forget too that with the large increases observed over the last two years, the base is that much higher so % increases don’t necessarily paint the whole picture. The fact YVR saw 131,000 more pax in Sept 2017 vs Sept 2016 is amazing. Especially when compared to most other airports in Canada and especially Western Canada..

Oh I know, but I would think by now you have noticed I have a well established track record of greediness when it comes to YVR's growth! :D

thenoflyzone
Nov 22, 2017, 3:02 AM
Strange they would mention Vancouver but then again they also mentioned Montreal which makes no sense so maybe they were just throwing out locations.

Although both routes are highly unlikely, they were definately not just throwing out locations.

There are several reasons why they would mention Montreal. First, Montreal has a larger Vietnamese Canadian population than Vancouver. Second, Vietnam used to be a french colony, and a lot of Vietnamese know how to speak french. The country is part of the Francophonie (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organisation_internationale_de_la_Francophonie), an international organization representing countries and regions where French is the first or customary language. It's member states (Quebec is a participating government, along with Canada and New Brunswick) cooperate in the fields of education, culture, science, economy, etc.

A decent number of Vietnamese students come to Montreal to study, through the Canadian Francophonie Scholarship Program. So taking into account the linguistic ties and the fact that Vietnam is now a mainstream tourism destination, a lot of French Canadians venture to that part of the world also. Hence why Vietnam Airlines would mention Montreal as a possible destination.

Either way, a non stop is out of the question (too long and thin), and even a one stop is highly unlikely. And I dont see them operating into YVR either. The only routes to North America that make sense for Vietnam Airlines are to LAX and SFO. They will apparently try to launch LAX next year, but I have my doubts if it will succeed, even if it is the world's largest unserved market. (SGN-LAX O&D over 200,000 in 2015)

YVR_Future
Nov 22, 2017, 4:14 AM
If it were to happen it would be huge though. Very unique location for YVR and our first (if Manila doesn't count) SE Asian destination.

Didn't SQ fly to YVR in the past? Do you think there's any chance of that coming back?

mezzanine
Nov 22, 2017, 5:16 AM
And I dont see them operating into YVR either. The only routes to North America that make sense for Vietnam Airlines are to LAX and SFO. They will apparently try to launch LAX next year, but I have my doubts if it will succeed, even if it is the world's largest unserved market. (SGN-LAX O&D over 200,000 in 2015)

I agree that it will be challenging for VN to serve north america, but vancouver (https://www.scribd.com/document/243610223/Vietnam-Airlines-Prospectus) is mentioned in their 2014 prospectus for NA growth after LAX, along with IAD and SFO.

I can see a lot of push as TG, VN and SQ along with them likely want to be the first mover for further NA routes. Then again, YVR is still waiting, although VN flights to LAX were supposed to start back in 2016 according to the prospectus...

mezzanine
Nov 22, 2017, 5:18 AM
Didn't SQ fly to YVR in the past? Do you think there's any chance of that coming back?

SQ flew as a 5th freedom flight via ICN. It was cancelled after the 2008 financial crisis. not sure if the conditions are there to bring back the original route...

trofirhen
Nov 22, 2017, 5:33 AM
SQ flew as a 5th freedom flight via ICN. It was cancelled after the 2008 financial crisis. not sure if the conditions are there to bring back the original route...

Is there any chance of SQ flying YVR >< SIN nonstop? United recently started LAX >< SIN nonstop, the longest nonstop out of the USA 14117 km. YVR >< SIN shorter at 12827 km.
Also JFK >< LAX is in fact longer by a tad than JFK >< YVR. So maybe, as with PAL, this could be a lucrative possibility. Hope so.

thenoflyzone
Nov 22, 2017, 2:22 PM

SQ wants a non stop to YVR, which is not allowed under the current bilateral. They can, however, resume SIN-ICN-YVR tomorrow if they wish.

Is there any chance of SQ flying YVR >< SIN nonstop?

Not at the moment. The bilateral will need to be updated. Link from 2007, when the last bilateral was signed.

https://www.mot.gov.sg/News-Centre/News/2007/Singapore-Concludes-Air-Transport-Agreement-With-Canada/

Under the new bilateral agreement, Singapore carriers are allowed to operate passenger and all-cargo flights as frequently as desired between Singapore and Canada, via selected intermediate points.

trofirhen
Nov 22, 2017, 6:14 PM
SQ wants a non stop to YVR, which is not allowed under the current bilateral. They can, however, resume SIN-ICN-YVR tomorrow if they wish.

Not at the moment. The bilateral will need to be updated. Link from 2007, when the last bilateral was signed.
https://www.mot.gov.sg/News-Centre/News/2007/Singapore-Concludes-Air-Transport-Agreement-With-Canada/

When can they update this bilateral? Isn't it overdue? If they cannot, WHY not? It would be a great route to have, and provide real competition to the LAX >< SIN United nonstop, imo.

LeftCoaster
Nov 23, 2017, 9:42 PM
I would be interested as to why Canada has not re-negotiated with SG. Sure AC would have a bit more competition on their Aus routes, but Singapore is not a cheap place to fly though so I can't imagine it would be that big an issue. Frankly I'd imagine Singapore could fill the planes without leaching too much AC business at all, the city itself is a big draw and a great jumping off point for Indonesia and Malaysia.

Although both routes are highly unlikely, they were definately not just throwing out locations.

There are several reasons why they would mention Montreal. First, Montreal has a larger Vietnamese Canadian population than Vancouver. Second, Vietnam used to be a french colony, and a lot of Vietnamese know how to speak french. The country is part of the Francophonie (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organisation_internationale_de_la_Francophonie), an international organization representing countries and regions where French is the first or customary language. It's member states (Quebec is a participating government, along with Canada and New Brunswick) cooperate in the fields of education, culture, science, economy, etc.

Good point, didn't even think about the French connection, though it is a bit of a longshot.

I'd love to see VN come to Canada, if not for anything else than their beautiful livery.

trofirhen
Nov 23, 2017, 11:23 PM
I would be interested as to why Canada has not re-negotiated with SG. Sure AC would have a bit more competition on their Aus routes, but Singapore is not a cheap place to fly though so I can't imagine it would be that big an issue. Frankly I'd imagine Singapore could fill the planes without leaching too much AC business at all, the city itself is a big draw and a great jumping off point for Indonesia and Malaysia.

Good point, didn't even think about the French connection, though it is a bit of a longshot.

I'd love to see VN come to Canada, if not for anything else than their beautiful livery.

Do you think a YVR><BKK><SIN no-change-of-plane routing would be possible, using any airline, or combination thereof? Or must it be a nonstop, involving whichever airline / airlines?
*I checked YVR><HND><Jakarta, the YVR><SIN><Jakarta, ...... and the distance is almost exacrly the same: 400 km difference. (thought it would be much different, but no)

thenoflyzone
Nov 23, 2017, 11:35 PM

Their 777 came to YOW and YQB for an official visit with both governments back in 2005.

Current livery hasn't changed that much compared to back then. Nice looking bird.

Some pics from YQB.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Vietnam-Airlines/Boeing-777-2Q8-ER/873811/L?qsp=eJwtjTEOAjEMBL9yck2DkCiugw9AwQeMs4KIXBIcC4hO93fMiW60O9qdSUo2fOzSK2ikBla504YqK0%2BNxpke6O%2BiwZleEZZ5GjhqihltkP68utyK2rG7ENhwEEE1hH9%2B0gD9VWiy7t78Z%2BsAPa9Mu73nIbaaeN2AcUy0LF%2BrdjTV

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/499531

LeftCoaster
Nov 23, 2017, 11:36 PM
Funny you mention that routing, I flew YVR-HND-SIN on ANA last week. Pretty easy routing, but of course a direct would be better.

No idea on the legalities of a YVR-BKK-SIN route, but I bet Thai wouldn't be too happy about it.

trofirhen
Nov 24, 2017, 12:05 AM
Funny you mention that routing, I flew YVR-HND-SIN on ANA last week. Pretty easy routing, but of course a direct would be better.

No idea on the legalities of a YVR-BKK-SIN route, but I bet Thai wouldn't be too happy about it.
That's true enough!! But could it be split beween Thai and Air Canada + SQL with a codeshare? (although I will admit; Three's a Crowd!!)
I'd love to see YVR get that Southeast Asia access though ..... yeppers .... wouldn't we all !!!!:rolleyes::D
Finally, why can that 2007 bilateral not be updated? If AC and SQL shared a YVR-SIN nonstop, the tightasses in Ottawa would surely go for it.

YVR_Future
Nov 24, 2017, 4:06 AM
That's true enough!! But could it be split beween Thai and Air Canada + SQL with a codeshare? (although I will admit; Three's a Crowd!!)
I'd love to see YVR get that Southeast Asia access though ..... yeppers .... wouldn't we all !!!!:rolleyes::D
Finally, why can that 2007 bilateral not be updated? If AC and SQL shared a YVR-SIN nonstop, the tightasses in Ottawa would surely go for it.

Direct YVR-SIN would be great. :tup: I really don't know what it takes to renegotiate a bilateral, but if AC and SQ pushed for it, I suspect it could happen.

trofirhen
Nov 24, 2017, 11:44 AM
Direct YVR-SIN would be great. :tup: I really don't know what it takes to renegotiate a bilateral, but if AC and SQ pushed for it, I suspect it could happen.

Wouldn't that be great!! If AC was in on the action, flying and codesharing YVR><SIN with SQL, it would very possibly materialize, IMO. Thai would do YVR><BKK and we'd be set!!

Hourglass
Nov 24, 2017, 10:51 PM

The info in that link seems a bit off. I distinctly recall that SQ was limited to 2/3x weekly via ICN and was seeking to increase frequency via ICN (1-stop via HKG was also a speculated target during negotiations). SQ was claiming at the time (probably to raise support for their position) that they were running 98% full on their YVR flights.

That negotiating position was shut down by the Canadian side as not being beneficial (and that’s certainly an argument used to limit ME3 access to Canada). No limitations on non-stop service between Canada and Singapore — and this would also be completely consistent with Canada's Blue Skies negotiating position.

I’ll see if I can find links to this, but it was years ago. And anyways, the 2008 financial meltdown made it moot.

**Edit - haven’t found the news links, but here was some of the chatter on SQtalk (a Singapore Airlines community forum)
http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4252
http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13655
http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-6345.html

YVR_Future
Nov 25, 2017, 4:32 AM
What a shame. Also, having SQ (along with AC & CX) flying YVR-HKG would be great.

casper
Nov 25, 2017, 5:44 AM
What a shame. Also, having SQ (along with AC & CX) flying YVR-HKG would be great.

There are currently three airlines on that route.

Do we need a forth?

nname
Nov 25, 2017, 10:01 AM

Do we need a forth?

I don't think anyone would dare to touch that route right now.... These 3 airlines can barely sell those tickets for $600 - $700 on this 13hr flight, with meals, 2 checked bags, and seat selection included.

You can't even get all these for $700 with LCC carriers...

trofirhen
Nov 25, 2017, 11:46 AM
1. OK, but THAI is supposedly coming soon, and that takes in BKK.

2. Then there's the issue of SIN. The 2007 bilateral stipulated a mid-point stop, but if AC and SQL could do that route nonstop, is it not feasible for a new agreement?
YVR has China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, The Philippines, Aus-NZ all wrapped! Get SE Asia and YVR will have the entire Pacific pretty much as its own; even beating out SEA, LAX and SFO!

3. Vietnam is a lesser destination and could stop midpoint until a new bilateral is done.
(btw, its route crosses exactly over Seoul. Exactly on the arc. Do they need 5th freedom rights to make that profitabe?)
is there a market in Vancouver, or for Toronto -twice the market as Vancouver -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_Canadians#History_and_demographics
Province Vietnamese people [4]
Ontario 107,640
Quebec 43,080
British Columbia 41,435
Alberta 36,780
Manitoba 5,850
Saskatchewan 3,690
Nova Scotia 760
New Brunswick 885
Northwest Territories 245
Yukon 85
Prince Edward Island 85
Newfoundland and Labrador 75
Nunavut 10
Canada Canada 240,615

and other points?
(should it ever come about)

YVR_Future
Nov 26, 2017, 2:30 AM

Do we need a forth?

3? Isn't it just AC and CX?

Hourglass
Nov 26, 2017, 2:34 AM

Hongkong Airlines started flying daily HKG-YVR in June. So 28 flights per week.

trofirhen
Nov 26, 2017, 2:37 AM

see above:koko::haha:

Johnny Aussie
Nov 26, 2017, 9:35 AM
Hongkong Airlines started flying daily HKG-YVR in June. So 28 flights per week.

Oh so close!!

It’s actually 31 flights per week on YVR-HKG

AC Daily 77W
CX 2 Daily 77W and 3 weekly 359
HX Daily 332

I think most people forget CX added the three weekly flights on the A350-900

Hourglass
Nov 26, 2017, 9:49 AM
Oh so close!!

It’s actually 31 flights per week on YVR-HKG

AC Daily 77W
CX 2 Daily 77W and 3 weekly 359
HX Daily 332

I think most people forget CX added the three weekly flights on the A350-900

Good catch (and I took the HKG-YVR 359 flight in June too so my bad!). Yields taking a bit of a hit with Hongkong Airlines on the route. HKG-YVR in summer used to be hideously expensive — easily C$2000 round trip

thenoflyzone
Nov 27, 2017, 1:03 AM
The info in that link seems a bit off. I distinctly recall that SQ was limited to 2/3x weekly via ICN and was seeking to increase frequency via ICN (1-stop via HKG was also a speculated target during negotiations). SQ was claiming at the time (probably to raise support for their position) that they were running 98% full on their YVR flights.

That negotiating position was shut down by the Canadian side as not being beneficial (and that’s certainly an argument used to limit ME3 access to Canada). No limitations on non-stop service between Canada and Singapore — and this would also be completely consistent with Canada's Blue Skies negotiating position.

I’ll see if I can find links to this, but it was years ago. And anyways, the 2008 financial meltdown made it moot.

I also find it weird that a bilateral wouldn't allow non stop flights. Usually it's the opposite. Non stops are allowed, and 5th freedoms are restricted (more so than non-stops).

Weird indeed.

trofirhen
Nov 27, 2017, 3:01 AM
I also find it weird that a bilateral wouldn't allow non stop flights. Usually it's the opposite. Non stops are allowed, and 5th freedoms are restricted (more so than non-stops).

Weird indeed.

Perhaps, 10 years later, and with Calin Rovanescu seeming to make good on his commitment to turning YVR into a true 'hub' we might wee a YVR-SIN nonstop, codeshared by AC and SQL.

CareerShow
Nov 27, 2017, 5:21 PM
Does anyone know why flight crews in Canada travelling through Canadian airports do not have to clear security before a flight? It appears in the states and all other countries crews must pass thru security before entering the aircraft, but this does not appear to be the case in Canada.

CareerShow
Nov 27, 2017, 5:29 PM
Also how is Rouge able to operate Osaka and Nagoya with only two person crews, while other asian block flights require 3 crew members?

excel
Nov 27, 2017, 10:12 PM
Does anyone know why flight crews in Canada travelling through Canadian airports do not have to clear security before a flight? It appears in the states and all other countries crews must pass thru security before entering the aircraft, but this does not appear to be the case in Canada.

Not sure where you got that idea. All flight crews must always go through security screening (as long as it is secured airport). Certain airports have staff bypass security screening allowing flight crew to avoid going through the general security screening. Some small airports allow flight crew to bypass with only random screening. I believe this is slowly being eliminated.

Also how is Rouge able to operate Osaka and Nagoya with only two person crews, while other asian block flights require 3 crew members?

Transport Canada only requires relief pilots on flights more than 10 hours (scheduled time).

Johnny Aussie
Nov 28, 2017, 12:31 AM
http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/canadas-government-announces-air-transport-agreement-with-republic-of-singapore-534631361.html

“The agreement is a modern framework for air services that permits any
number of air carriers from either country to operate non-stop passenger and
all-cargo scheduled air services as frequently as desired, between any city in
Canada and Singapore.”

:shrug:

casper
Nov 28, 2017, 7:17 AM
http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/canadas-government-announces-air-transport-agreement-with-republic-of-singapore-534631361.html

“The agreement is a modern framework for air services that permits any
number of air carriers from either country to operate non-stop passenger and
all-cargo scheduled air services as frequently as desired, between any city in
Canada and Singapore.”

:shrug:

Makes sense. I though the reason Singapore airlines dropped YVR was they wanted more flights between South Korean and Canada. Canada and South Korea wanted to protect Air Canada and Korean Airlines on that route. (Something that sounds reasonable to me).

CareerShow
Nov 28, 2017, 3:49 PM
Not sure where you got that idea. All flight crews must always go through security screening (as long as it is secured airport). Certain airports have staff bypass security screening allowing flight crew to avoid going through the general security screening. Some small airports allow flight crew to bypass with only random screening. I believe this is slowly being eliminated.

Transport Canada only requires relief pilots on flights more than 10 hours (scheduled time).
I know at YVR and other major Canadian airports flight crews for at least Westjet and Air Canada can go through the employee security access points using there passes and receive only random security searches. I'm just wondering if this is the norm in other countries as well, because from my knowledge from both reading and observation is that in the US all crews must clear TSA screening. This is certainly not the case in Canada. Seems this is an imprudent policy and one that is certainly stuck in the past.

CareerShow
Nov 28, 2017, 3:50 PM

Oh so does the AC YVR Tokyo flight only have two pilots? Or does mainline still fly with 3 flight deck personnel?

CareerShow
Nov 28, 2017, 3:54 PM

Next time your at one of the major Canadian airports you'll notice that flight crews with security passes can use the employee screening points, which don't require screening every time, its based on a random search mat. This was a shocking revelation to me at least.

moosejaw
Nov 28, 2017, 7:26 PM
Makes sense. I though the reason Singapore airlines dropped YVR was they wanted more flights between South Korean and Canada. Canada and South Korea wanted to protect Air Canada and Korean Airlines on that route. (Something that sounds reasonable to me).

I beleive Singapore Air also reduced or stopped flights from LAX and SFO as well since they couldn’t fly fully occupied planes to Singapore because of the distance. They had to block seats off because of the length of the trip. Thus those routes weren’t very profitable.
Now they have planes with a higher range, they can make the trip now with all seats sold.

SFUVancouver
Nov 28, 2017, 10:29 PM
A thread on Airliners.net notes that American is increasing its ORD-YVR service with evening service from ORD to YVR and an overnight red-eye in the other direction.

starting 04 May: ORD-YVR year round on a 738

ORD 8:35p YVR 11:14p
YVR 11:00p ORD 5:14a+1

Source (http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1379897&sid=cba99dadddbe4e58122eb40082599e51)

Gordon
Nov 28, 2017, 11:01 PM
That will be lots of capacity to Ord next summer 5 flights \ day

nname
Nov 28, 2017, 11:13 PM
That will be lots of capacity to Ord next summer 5 flights \ day

4x daily UA
2x daily AC
1x daily AA

That's 7x daily

CareerShow
Nov 29, 2017, 1:45 PM
AC launching Sacramento with Express CRA 705 year round daily.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/air-canada-expands-its-north-american-network-with-new-transborder-routes-starting-spring-2018-660734743.html

trofirhen
Nov 29, 2017, 8:03 PM
Four years back, AC chief Calin Rovinescu warned of YVR becoming a "stub" airport with a lot of foreign carriers, but not a strong hub.
He seems to be making good his promise of a true YVR "hub, " with the new AC routes being bestowed upon it.

LeftCoaster
Nov 29, 2017, 10:29 PM
A thread on Airliners.net notes that American is increasing its ORD-YVR service with evening service from ORD to YVR and an overnight red-eye in the other direction.

Source (http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1379897&sid=cba99dadddbe4e58122eb40082599e51)
Barely even a month after I was wondering if AA was going to get in on the ORD action:

I for one appreciate the multitude of options to Chicago, since work seems to be taking me there more and more.

I wonder if AA will ever get in on the action, they like to pretend they are equals with United at ORD.

I better start speculating that LATAM is going to start a YVR-GRU route soon :D

AC launching Sacramento with Express CRA 705 year round daily.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/air-canada-expands-its-north-american-network-with-new-transborder-routes-starting-spring-2018-660734743.html

Fantastic news! One of the routes I just couldn't figure out why they weren't flying when I did my route calculator based off the O&D charts provided by Transportation Canada.

In case anyone has forgotten:

I guess it's time to dust off the ol' route calculator I used a year or so back.

These were my old extrapolated estimates based off 2016 transborder growth rates:
http://i.imgur.com/4lqsKAH.png?1

Which really begs the question, when is YVR going to get more than token IAD service? It is such an outlier.

Johnny Aussie
Nov 30, 2017, 7:58 AM
More excellent news.

AA to ORD.
AA will have 7 daily flights ex YVR next summer (6 of those mainline) to four AA hubs.

AC to SMF
AC will have 16 daily flights to California next summer from YVR (10 mainline) to five cities (six in winter).

As stated before, I can see AC flying to IAD, SMF, MIA/FLL and maybe PHL. So tick SMF off that list. So that leaves IAD and MIA as likely and PHL as a more distant maybe... perhaps on AA.

Johnny Aussie
Nov 30, 2017, 8:11 AM
YVR's website is now showing the inaugural AC37 to MEL for 1 December departure at 2245.

I plan on heading to MEL airport to catch the arrival here Sunday morning.

:D:D:D:D

Johnny Aussie
Dec 1, 2017, 12:55 AM
A good summary of upcoming projects to help YVR competitive well into the future.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/blog/2017/craigs-corner-construction-at-yvr

The newly launched construction pages on yvr’s website

http://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/construction

Specifically regarding terminal construction

http://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/construction/terminal-expansions

2017 will wrap up as another fantastic year of growth. With everything already announced for 2018 some of these projects won’t be able to come soon enough!

LeftCoaster
Dec 1, 2017, 11:06 PM
As stated before, I can see AC flying to IAD, SMF, MIA/FLL and maybe PHL. So tick SMF off that list. So that leaves IAD and MIA as likely and PHL as a more distant maybe... perhaps on AA.

MIA and PHL would be nice adds by AA. Not sure they have the best equipment to do it though.

MIA imo is just a matter of the right plane, the demand seems to be there

PHL agreed is a bit more of a long shot, but with AA shifting a ton of their JFK trans Atlantic flights over to PHL they may be looking for feed. Could help the case for YVR-PHL, even if just summer seasonal.

IAD just baffles that there is no service given the distance, O&D levels and complementary Star Alliance hubs.

LeftCoaster
Dec 1, 2017, 11:12 PM
Thinking more on the Sacramento flights and I really don't understand them.

Vancouver – Sacramento eff 17MAY18 1 daily CRJ705. This route was previously served until October 2008
AC8042 YVR0855 – 1106SMF CRA D
AC8043 SMF1145 – 1357YVR CRA D

AC seems to be gunning for purely O&D traffic here as the flights leave YVR at 8:55AM completely missing any inbound traffic outside of the Australia flights and arrive in YVR at 1:57 PM completely missing the outbound Asian block with only Tokyo on ANA at 3:05.

Anyone have any ideas as to why the flights are scheduled this way? Seems like the times should be inverted (I understand that is not possible as how would the plane be in SMF to leave at 8:55AM)

Johnny Aussie
Dec 1, 2017, 11:32 PM
Good question. Same with PHX.

AC YVR transborder going to be a very busy place mid morning next summer.

PHX 0800
LAS 0810
SFO 0840
SEA 0840
PDX 0840
BOS 0855
SMF 0855
SJC 0855
EWR 0900
LAX 0910

That’s more capacity to the US than all of YEG’s transborder schedule.

LeftCoaster
Dec 1, 2017, 11:35 PM
So strange. Hopefully the O&D for SMF is strong so the flight can go double daily and have a morning and afternoon slot to better serve the big afternoon Asia and Europe banks.

Also looks like Air China has tweeked their S18 YVR plans. YVR will be served with only 777HD next summer, but 11 PW. The really strange part is that it will be double daily except one per day on Tuesday and none on Saturday! Very odd. Hopefully they supplement those 777s with some 330s to round out the double daily schedule.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/275983/air-china-s18-international-changes-as-of-30nov17/

mezzanine
Dec 1, 2017, 11:40 PM
IAD would be a nice add as I can see a lot of beltway types and non-us nationals wanting to use YVR as a transfer point to get to Washington DC to the rest of the world. I would think this is a strong likelihood of happening. if we get IAD, we can ask for DCA again in the future.

I thought the timing for the SMF flight is entirely due to Australia. I have no inside knowledge but I suspect there is higher demand from better yielding passengers for less stressful travel to Australia versus LAX/SFO. other flights to asia I suspect just don't make as much money as AC's flights to Australia due to more choice and competition.

mezzanine
Dec 1, 2017, 11:47 PM
Speaking of which, MEL starts today!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DP_vG6lVoAAco2O.jpg
source: YVR twitter

Johnny Aussie
Dec 2, 2017, 1:45 AM
Also looks like Air China has tweeked their S18 YVR plans. YVR will be served with only 777HD next summer, but 11 PW. The really strange part is that it will be double daily except one per day on Tuesday and none on Saturday! Very odd. Hopefully they supplement those 777s with some 330s to round out the double daily schedule.

Not sure where you see that.

I've got CA992 daily and CA998 operating days 1467 new departure time of 0230.

Remember the cap is on frequencies so they can't increase their flights per week above their cap. Double daily is not possible under the current allotment.

Hourglass
Dec 2, 2017, 4:29 AM
Speaking of which, MEL starts today!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DP_vG6lVoAAco2O.jpg
source: YVR twitter

Nice!

And the announcement on MEL (and MCO and YZF) is here: http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/yvr-celebrates-first-non-stop-service-to-melbourne-in-canada-661329953.html

s211
Dec 2, 2017, 4:41 AM
Good question. Same with PHX.

AC YVR transborder going to be a very busy place mid morning next summer.

PHX 0800
LAS 0810
SFO 0840
SEA 0840
PDX 0840
BOS 0855
SMF 0855
SJC 0855
EWR 0900
LAX 0910

That’s more capacity to the US than all of YEG’s transborder schedule.

Ouch. No need to pour lemon juice on that paper cut.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 2, 2017, 5:29 AM
Ouch. No need to pour lemon juice on that paper cut.

Not at all. Just to show how big YVR international is becoming. More seats being pushed out in one hour on just one carrier.

Another reason to get those expansions built tout de suite!

Johnny Aussie
Dec 2, 2017, 7:01 AM
AC37 pushed back 6 minutes early.

Just took off 08R at 2259 local time.

ETA in MEL pretty much on time tomorrow morning.

tayser
Dec 2, 2017, 3:06 PM
AC37 pushed back 6 minutes early.

Just took off 08R at 2259 local time.

ETA in MEL pretty much on time tomorrow morning.

And not far from crossing the equator now.

I for one welcome our new Canadian overlords. Just hurry up and make the year-round service from June daily! https://www.flightradar24.com/ACA037/fb583f5

tayser
Dec 2, 2017, 3:09 PM
Just another brainfart/realisation - the AC flight numbers to Australia are easy to remember

AC33, 34, 35, 36, 37 & 38 - YVR-SYD, SYD-YVR, YVR-BNE, BNE-YVR, YVR-MEL, MEL-YVR

Johnny Aussie
Dec 2, 2017, 10:37 PM
Touchdown MEL about 30 mins early.

Welcome to MEL Air Canada!

tayser
Dec 4, 2017, 5:21 AM
A video of the arrival and departure of AC in MEL, from SSC user - MaxBuller http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=143812671&postcount=13239

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4DHE-QNMpY

Johnny Aussie
Dec 4, 2017, 8:32 AM
A video of the arrival and departure of AC in MEL, from SSC user - MaxBuller

And here’s Melbourne Airport’s video about the new service...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1960647073962244&id=213235072036795&__tn__=C-R

LeftCoaster
Dec 4, 2017, 8:51 PM
October stats just came out today, everything is up from September, a strong month all around:

http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/documents/facts-sheets/2017/october/traffic-update-october-2017.pdf?la=en

Domestic up 6.0%
International up 13.2%

---------

Total pax count up 9.4% and over 168,179 compared to October 2016.

---------

Int'l breakdown by sector:

Transborder up 10.5%
Asia Pacific up 16.6%
Europe up 8.0%
Misc Int'l up 36.3%

Once again just a solid month all around. Domestic slowing the total growth but 6% domestically is nothing to scoff at. If you cut out Transborder from international numbers the isolated international growth was 15.7%, which building off the huge numbers seen in Oct 2016 is very impressive.

This result raises YVR's year to date to 8.2%. Hopefully the rest of the year finishes off strongly and we can keep the annual growth rate at or above 8%.

Also YVR already hit 20 million passengers by the end of October, simply amazing!

Hows that new terminal coming...

LeftCoaster
Dec 4, 2017, 8:53 PM
Not sure where you see that.

I've got CA992 daily and CA998 operating days 1467 new departure time of 0230.

Remember the cap is on frequencies so they can't increase their flights per week above their cap. Double daily is not possible under the current allotment.

I was doing dummy bookings on the Air China website. no flights were available on Saturdays. :cheers:

And regarding the frequency cap, I had them in as double daily last summer so I thought we are moving from 14 down to 11 and therefore leaving 3 vacancies in the cap. Is this not the case?

Johnny Aussie
Dec 4, 2017, 10:57 PM
October stats just came out today, everything is up from September, a strong month all around:

Domestic up 6.0%
International up 13.2%

---------

Total pax count up 9.4% and over 168,179 compared to October 2016.

---------

Int'l breakdown by sector:

Transborder up 10.5%
Asia Pacific up 16.6%
Europe up 8.0%
Misc Int'l up 36.3%

Once again just a solid month all around. Domestic slowing the total growth but 6% domestically is nothing to scoff at. If you cut out Transborder from international numbers the isolated international growth was 15.7%, which building off the huge numbers seen in Oct 2016 is very impressive.

This result raises YVR's year to date to 8.2%. Hopefully the rest of the year finishes off strongly and we can keep the annual growth rate at or above 8%.

Also YVR already hit 20 million passengers by the end of October, simply amazing!

Hows that new terminal coming...

Yes very impressive. YTD total international is now well over 1,000,000 more than 2016. Keeping YVR as the solid second busiest for international passengers of Canadian airports. YVR handles more international pax than MEL (a city rapidly approaching 5 million!) And YVR should handle more pax than BNE with growth the way its going. Just a comparison to Aussie airports ;)

And domestic in Oct surpassed YYC for the first time as well... although just barely.

Excellent cargo stats as well. Already > 250,000 tonnes YTD.

Basically YVR is continuing its booming trends across the board.

I was doing dummy bookings on the Air China website. no flights were available on Saturdays. :cheers:

And regarding the frequency cap, I had them in as double daily last summer so I thought we are moving from 14 down to 11 and therefore leaving 3 vacancies in the cap. Is this not the case?

CA was double daily in summer 2015. With the launch of YUL - PEK flights they had to cut YVR frequencies. Last summer was peak of only 10 weekly. SO next summer will be 11 weekly with all being 77WHDs

LeftCoaster
Dec 4, 2017, 11:03 PM
Ahh i see, so i massively overstated 2017 capacity in my previous chart. Whoops!

Johnny Aussie
Dec 4, 2017, 11:36 PM
Ahh i see, so i massively overstated 2017 capacity in my previous chart. Whoops!

Oops I meant summer 2016 was double daily but reduced to 10 weekly summer 2017.

To be honest YVR has had so many additions/changes/tweaks it’s really getting harder to keep track.

So next up we have:

Nanaimo and Comox both start on December 14 - WS Encore
Yellowknife kicks off 15 Dec - AC Express
Flair commences YVR ops on 15 Dec as well - YLW, YEG and YYZ
Orlando on 22 December - AC rouge

OK somebody had better say something negative now. :haha: :haha: :haha:

Lancaster
Dec 5, 2017, 3:25 AM

To be honest YVR has had so many additions/changes/tweaks it’s really getting harder to keep track.

So next up we have:

Nanaimo and Comox both start on December 14 - WS Encore
Yellowknife kicks off 15 Dec - AC Express
Flair commences YVR ops on 15 Dec as well - YLW, YEG and YYZ
Orlando on 22 December - AC rouge

OK somebody had better say something negative now. :haha: :haha: :haha:

rambleramble...south america...rambleramble

thenoflyzone
Dec 5, 2017, 3:18 PM
SO next summer will be 11 weekly with all being 77WHDs

Wonder where that frequency is coming from. Doesn't seem to be YUL, as it is showing 6x weekly as of March 25.

One of the cargo runs to YEG perhaps?

LeftCoaster
Dec 5, 2017, 6:54 PM

Well either way good to see some added frequency. There's a lot of negative talk about yields across the Pacific, so if flights are still being added something must be going right.

Trofiren when did you change your user name? :haha:

SFUVancouver
Dec 6, 2017, 4:26 AM
Just a random YVR observation, I'm in the new(ish) C pier (extension?) for regional aircraft and it's really nice. I've never been down here before and they've done a nice job integrating elements of the international/transborder terminal architecture at what must be a lower construction price point. The line for Tim's is a mile long, so they missed the boat with retail; it could have easily supported a second F&B CRU.

Lancaster
Dec 6, 2017, 5:22 AM
Just a random YVR observation, I'm in the new(ish) C pier (extension?) for regional aircraft and it's really nice. I've never been down here before and they've done a nice job integrating elements of the international/transborder terminal architecture at what must be a lower construction price point. The line for Tim's is a mile long, so they missed the boat with retail; it could have easily supported a second F&B CRU.

It may seem surprising, but that has actually been there for about or over ten years now. Someone can correct me, but I think it was done in 2006-2007ish?

But yes, it's easily the nicest of the ground load gates at YVR. Wish they would do the same in the US departures area.

casper
Dec 6, 2017, 6:09 AM
It may seem surprising, but that has actually been there for about or over ten years now. Someone can correct me, but I think it was done in 2006-2007ish?

But yes, it's easily the nicest of the ground load gates at YVR. Wish they would do the same in the US departures area.

They also need to do something similar with the WestJet Encore side of things.

All said, Vancouver ground loading gates (even transboarder) are an order of magnitude better that the Pearson trans boarder area used by Air Canada.

trofirhen
Dec 6, 2017, 6:11 AM

Trofiren when did you change your user name? :haha:

I'm aware that I'm not your favorite SSP'er, but please desist with the unwarranted 'ad hominem' atacks. They're insulting, and unbecoming of a moderator. Thank you.

CareerShow
Dec 6, 2017, 3:15 PM
What do people think of the more liberal policies regarding pilot hours in Canada versus that of the USA or EU, such as Pilot shifts in Canada of up to 14 hours, while in the States its 10 hours, or the relief pilot necessity at 10 hours versus 8 hours in the States.

I remember reading somewhere that a Canadian crew can do YYZ SFO roundtrip, while an American crew would not be able to. I've also always thought that a trip such as YVR to Puerto Vallarta roundtrip would be an extremely long day for a crew (12 hours or so all in).

LeftCoaster
Dec 6, 2017, 11:34 PM
I'm aware that I'm not your favorite SSP'er, but please desist with the unwarranted 'ad hominem' atacks. They're insulting, and unbecoming of a moderator. Thank you.

Ad hominem? Dude lighten up, you ramble...

CareerShow
Dec 7, 2017, 4:15 PM
Also I'm really hoping these CRA 705 routes turn into C-series once the aircrafts get delivered for many of the current flights. The CRA 705 is just so cramped and the low ceiling makes things feel claustrophobic. Especially for flights of over 2 hours such as San Diego, Denver, Phoenix, Dallas, and Chicago.

zahav
Dec 7, 2017, 9:49 PM
Air Canada looks like it's removed 767 domestic flights from this summer's bookings. Up until a couple weeks ago, the 767 was scheduled on quite a few domestic legs (YVR-YYZ mainly), but has since been removed entirely and replaced by 321 aircraft. I know scheds aren't final yet, but seems like a notable thing, considering all the flights are the same, just the equipment is now 321 for each previous 767. But OAG and flight schedules still have the 767 listed (ex. AC182, 102, 184, and 166 are on OAG as 767, but on AC's booking site, each of these four flights is now 321.

I wondering if they are planning to move a bunch to Rouge?

SFUVancouver
Dec 8, 2017, 12:24 AM

I'm genuinely surprised by that. Thanks for the info!

Johnny Aussie
Dec 9, 2017, 8:27 PM
Today is the first of the Qantas seasonal flights. QF75 from SYD due in in about 1h20m

Along with the new AC MEL nonstops started a week ago YVR-South Pacific has grown to 28 flights per week for the next couple of months.

excel
Dec 9, 2017, 10:10 PM
Today is the first of the Qantas seasonal flights. QF75 from SYD due in in about 1h20m

Along with the new AC MEL nonstops started a week ago YVR-South Pacific has grown to 28 flights per week for the next couple of months.

Is the QF SYD flight still a 747-4?

Johnny Aussie
Dec 9, 2017, 10:39 PM
Is the QF SYD flight still a 747-4?

Yessiree Bob

As more carriers phase them out QF, LH and BA are the only pax airlines left flying 744s into YVR.

South Pacific breakdown:

AC SYD Daily 77L
AC BNE Daily 788
AC MEL 4/wk 789
NZ AKL Daily 772
QF SYD 3/wk 744

trofirhen
Dec 9, 2017, 11:00 PM
Yessiree Bob

As more carriers phase them out QF, LH and BA are the only pax airlines left flying 744s into YVR.

South Pacific breakdown:

AC SYD Daily 77L
AC BNE Daily 788
AC MEL 4/wk 789
NZ AKL Daily 772
QF SYD 3/wk 744

Do you think Qantas might ever come back full time?

CareerShow
Dec 10, 2017, 10:33 PM
Air Canada looks like it's removed 767 domestic flights from this summer's bookings. Up until a couple weeks ago, the 767 was scheduled on quite a few domestic legs (YVR-YYZ mainly), but has since been removed entirely and replaced by 321 aircraft. I know scheds aren't final yet, but seems like a notable thing, considering all the flights are the same, just the equipment is now 321 for each previous 767. But OAG and flight schedules still have the 767 listed (ex. AC182, 102, 184, and 166 are on OAG as 767, but on AC's booking site, each of these four flights is now 321.

I wondering if they are planning to move a bunch to Rouge?

This is really unfortunate. Now in the summertime widebody aircrafts on the route are down to 5 per day, from around 8 or 9 last year i believe. Even this winter (Dec 22 I looked) 8 of 14 flights are operated by widebodies. The 763 was also the most comfortable economy seat out there! Thats the last of the AC 763 flying thru YVR now.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 11, 2017, 12:07 AM
This is really unfortunate. Now in the summertime widebody aircrafts on the route are down to 5 per day, from around 8 or 9 last year i believe. Even this winter (Dec 22 I looked) 8 of 14 flights are operated by widebodies. The 763 was also the most comfortable economy seat out there! Thats the last of the AC 763 flying thru YVR now.

Can't do much about it when the fleet type is being slowly phased out.
The 788s 789s 77Ws etc are better suited to international flying.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 14, 2017, 5:56 AM
Busy weekend for route launches....

Nanaimo and Comox both start tomorrow on WS Encore.

Friday has AC Express launching a new seasonal YVR-Yellowknife route.

Also on Friday, Flair Airlines, a new scheduled carrier for YVR, commences flights to YLW and YEG.

trofirhen
Dec 15, 2017, 12:08 AM
Not at all. Just to show how big YVR international is becoming. More seats being pushed out in one hour on just one carrier.

Another reason to get those expansions built tout de suite!

Can the fact of an airport growing very quickly, as is YVR, and becoming a real connector hub, (which it still seems to have a little way to go to complete) .....
Attract other airlines to want to use the airport becuase of all these connections?
I think not only of E. Asia, but of Oceania, Mexico (still to grow) and Europe, (better than before, couyld use one more perhaps) ....
or not? Thank you.

Lancaster
Dec 15, 2017, 4:06 AM
Can the fact of an airport growing very quickly, as is YVR, and becoming a real connector hub, (which it still seems to have a little way to go to complete) .....
Attract other airlines to want to use the airport becuase of all these connections?
I think not only of E. Asia, but of Oceania, Mexico (still to grow) and Europe, (better than before, couyld use one more perhaps) ....
or not? Thank you.

I could see Star Alliance carriers offering additional flights to connect with AC's domestic/US network. I would think however that other carriers mostly care about the Vancouver to (insert destination here) market only?

Johnny Aussie
Dec 15, 2017, 5:23 AM
Duplicate post whoops

Johnny Aussie
Dec 15, 2017, 5:25 AM
According to airlineroute.net KL continues to flip flop the equipment on YVR-AMS.

Now the route will be served with a 772 from 25 Mar - 28 Aug. Then it reverts back to the planned 789.

Slow news day with the 5 new route launches so thought I’d throw this tid bit in.

:haha::haha::haha:

spaceprobe
Dec 15, 2017, 7:22 AM
Busy weekend for route launches....

Nanaimo and Comox both start tomorrow on WS Encore.

Saturday has AC Express launching a new seasonal YVR-Yellowknife route.

Also on Saturday, Flair Airlines, a new scheduled carrier for YVR, commences flights to YLW and YEG.

Does AC currently run flights to yellowknife?

How many flights are there daily from YVR to whitehorse from all airlines?

CareerShow
Dec 15, 2017, 1:08 PM
http://business.financialpost.com/feature/cabin-pressure-are-airline-contractors-cutting-corners-on-safety-to-earn-business

What do people think of this article? Obviously the viewpoint may be a touch skewed, but point is that many flights in Canada and the USA are flown by these subsidiary carriers that apparently have inferior safety and maintenance procedures. Does anyone think this is the same case with Jazz Aviation, the main AC express provider out of YVR?

trofirhen
Dec 15, 2017, 2:16 PM
http://business.financialpost.com/feature/cabin-pressure-are-airline-contractors-cutting-corners-on-safety-to-earn-business

What do people think of this article? Obviously the viewpoint may be a touch skewed, but point is that many flights in Canada and the USA are flown by these subsidiary carriers that apparently have inferior safety and maintenance procedures. Does anyone think this is the same case with Jazz Aviation, the main AC express provider out of YVR?

:2cents:This is a clear and present danger, and seems to have an empirical cause. IMO there should be a full inquest, then any & all legal & techical steps necessary to conform to the rules ASAP.

whatnext
Dec 15, 2017, 7:33 PM

Blame Air Canada for that.

They had a network of regional carriers that they came to own outright in the 1990s (Air BC, Air Nova, Air Ontario). These were spun off into Jazz when AC went tits up in 2003. A nice way to earn some cash, but not content with that, AC decided to let Tier 3 carriers like Air Georgian and Skyregional compete with Jazz for flying. The classic race to the bottom.

casper
Dec 15, 2017, 7:36 PM

With these types of stories it is always hard to know if this is a single person who was fired by the airline and now its is evil in any which way. Perhaps there is nothing to it.

On the other hand there may be serious problems that this person is bringing to light.

The authorities should be investigating, however I would not pass judgment until after that.

In the case of Jazz it is a much bigger organisation. Generally speaking the bigger the company and more profitable the company the less likely they are to cut corners. Air Georgian operates 30 aircraft mostly owned by Air Canada. That parent company to Jazz also owns Voyageur Airlines, combined they have around 140 aircraft. Basically 5-6 times the size. They are in different leagues.

LeftCoaster
Dec 17, 2017, 4:07 AM
According to A.net Turkish and Canadian officials are meeting again to discuss adding slots to the bilateral for Western Canadian service. Apparently 3xPW is being offered up, we'll see if there's any truth to this, but I take it with a grain of salt.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 17, 2017, 7:15 AM
According to A.net Turkish and Canadian officials are meeting again to discuss adding slots to the bilateral for Western Canadian service. Apparently 3xPW is being offered up, we'll see if there's any truth to this, but I take it with a grain of salt.

Is this the quote to which you are referring?

"The Canadian and Turkish CAA officials will meet in Canada in two weeks time and the bilateral will be amended to give 3 new slots to Turkish Airlines to serve Western Canada (YVR) so if Turkish will accept this proposal this will go forward and TK can launch IST YVR IST thrice weekly from April 1st, 2018;"

I like his choice words "will be amended...." I'd be curious if it should actually say "may be amended..."

In any event... seems like user ankaraflyjet either actually knows something or is just speculating. Who knows. And as for a 1st April start date, I'd say for an airline like Turkish, that would be a very short lead-in time.

Grain of salt also taken :)

Johnny Aussie
Dec 17, 2017, 7:20 PM
Saw on airliners.net on the weekly OAG update:

AC continues to build YVR trans border next summer.

That's getting pretty close to 40 daily next summer on AC. Total YVR-transborder as it stands now will be ~ 95 flights per day... if you include the scheduled Mexico flights (not including charters) YVR will have over 100 daily international flights just within North America.... how do like THEM apples?! :D

AC increasing SAN to 3 daily (YVR-California bumps to 17 daily on AC)
AC increasing DEN to 3 daily

Other changes

AS increasing SEA back to 6 daily (restoring one of the lost daily frequencies)
AA increasing DFW to 3 daily (normal summer bump)

DL cutting YVR-LAX (code share remains on the 3 daily Westjet flights) DL will still have 13 daily flights from YVR next summer.

Therefore YVR-LAX will be served by only 4 carriers again with 12 daily flights next summer.