PDA

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143

nname
Jun 4, 2018, 6:38 PM
I realized.. since AC usually update their online schedule on Tuesday morning... Tomorrow will be the date we know the fate of DUB and NGO? :uhh:

LeftCoaster
Jun 4, 2018, 8:31 PM
Another strong month for YVR, Asia Pac continues to astound:

Domestic up 5.3%
International Incl. transborder up 10.1%
International excl transborder up 14.4%

---------

Total pax count up 7.7% and over 143,461 compared to April 2017.

---------

Int'l breakdown by sector:

Transborder up 5.8%
Asia Pacific up 16.8%
Europe up 0.4%
Latin America up 21.5%

---------

Cargo up 16.6%

http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/documents/facts-sheets/2018/04-april/traffic-update-april-2018-website.pdf?la=en

Great month, you can see the slow in domestic/transborder with Easter being in March but wow, the Asia Pac numbers are just incredible! Not sure if Europe is an issue or just no capacity additions and stabilized loads. We'll see over the summer how the new capacity is taken up and get an idea of the health of the sector as a whole.

twoNeurons
Jun 4, 2018, 8:48 PM
For gods sake I'm aware of the industry definition of a direct flight, I'm commenting on how weird the airline definition of 'direct' is, when that flight is anything but direct.

If someone told me draw a direct line between two dots I sure wouldn't do this:

https://i.imgur.com/w9LaikH.png

The only person on earth who would describe this as a direct line is an airline executive.

Taxi drivers do not take you "directly" to your home either. They try to take whatever route is MOST direct, but they are bound by little things like road networks, not to mention traffic lights, traffic congestion, road construction, and the choice of taking a "more direct" route along side-streets vs. taking a more comfortable route along arterials.

If any taxi driver was driving between Commercial/Broadway and Central Park in Burnaby, the most direct route would be (in-part) along Vanness Ave which parallels the Expo Line ( in part )... but no Taxi Driver is going to take that zig-zag route when they could just zip down Grandview and up Boundary ( despite the direct route being 1min faster according to map apps ).

I realize that it's weird, but in context of a plane where you're the passenger, direct just really means you don't have to leave the aluminum tube of the plane ( or your seat, usually ).

In fact, even flights that 'look' direct on a map aren't actually direct for many flights across oceans, where ETOPS rules are in place and avoiding dark clouds (mostly for reasons of passenger comfort).

I DO see what you mean if you look at a map, but from a passenger perspective, it doesn't change anything if you purchased a 10-hour flight from point A to B with a pause at Stop C. You're in the tin can for the same amount of time that you paid for... it's just that the scenery stops moving for a few hours sometime in between.

nname
Jun 4, 2018, 8:51 PM
Another strong month for YVR, Asia Pac continues to astound:

If you post it in the Canadian Airport thread, people will downplay it and claiming that most of the 7.7% are coming from China. :shrug:

Johnny Aussie
Jun 4, 2018, 9:17 PM
If you post it in the Canadian Airport thread, people will downplay it and claiming that most of the 7.7% are coming from China. :shrug:

“They” can say whatever “they” want.

I have stopped reading that thread.

If something of interest pertains to “Canada” as a whole I think that would make it more interesting.

Individual airport threads that are of interest to me will get my attention.

Anyway... as for YVR results... those numbers again are impressive.

Nice to see International was up 95,000! Strongest growth of any Canadian airport by far for those reporting already. And to see International crack over 1,000,000 pax in April! Again, only airport in Canada reporting that has done that. Wow! Of course YYZ hasn’t done that yet so YVR will have to take the #2 spot again! Great to see the growth is coming from Latin America as well. Fantastic.

Europe was pretty much status quo compared to 2017... the Air Transat flights to LGW resumed later in april and Icelandair was new for April compared to April 2017 so pretty much a wash.

Similar slowdowns in growth happened in Australia as well due to Easter travelling patterns.

trofirhen
Jun 4, 2018, 11:18 PM
În the stats provided by LEFTCOASTER, I'm still astonished to see the Latin America pax increases so high - beating out the usual top dog: Asia-Pacific.
I wonder if this is just Mexico, due the the elimination of the visas to there, or if it represents Mexico AND other Latin American countries as well.
At any rate, I hope it bodes well for more flights, and new destinations in Mexico, principally GDL and MTY, and maybe even, as Johnny alluded, something into South America.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 5, 2018, 12:15 AM
Looks like Flair is slowly realising money cannot be made flying big planes to small places.

Already axed before even launching are YXS and YXE.

Slowly just connecting larger markets only.

YVR-YYC kicks off in a couple of weeks.

I knew they couldn’t ignore YYC either despite the competition and capacity there. If they want to put bums on seats...That’s one of the larger markets that can’t be ignored.

Also WestJet is increasing YHZ to 7 weekly this summer.

nname
Jun 5, 2018, 12:45 AM
Looks like Flair is slowly realising money cannot be made flying big planes to small places.

Already axed before even launching are YXS and YXE.

Slowly just connecting larger markets only.

YVR-YYC kicks off in a couple of weeks.

I knew they couldn’t ignore YYC either despite the competition and capacity there. If they want to put bums on seats...That’s one of the larger markets that can’t be ignored.

Also WestJet is increasing YHZ to 7 weekly this summer.

Wonder what will they do with the plane... Since in the original schedule, the plane do YEG-YXE-YEG-YXS-YVR-YLW-YYC on 46 and return on 37... now half of the run got cancelled leaving only YVR-YLW-YYC segment... what would they do with the plane at YVR? Maybe they found some charter work out of YVR? or deadhead it back to YEG/YYC in the middle of the day?

Also, not related to YVR, but YEG-YYZ-YHZ now becomes YEG-YHM-YHZ... I guess they're taking swoop head-on?

Johnny Aussie
Jun 5, 2018, 1:49 AM
Wonder what will they do with the plane... Since in the original schedule, the plane do YEG-YXE-YEG-YXS-YVR-YLW-YYC on 46 and return on 37... now half of the run got cancelled leaving only YVR-YLW-YYC segment... what would they do with the plane at YVR? Maybe they found some charter work out of YVR? or deadhead it back to YEG/YYC in the middle of the day?

Also, not related to YVR, but YEG-YYZ-YHZ now becomes YEG-YHM-YHZ... I guess they're taking swoop head-on?

Don’t know about their utilisation though.

They’ve basically transferred one of the two planned daily YEG-YYZ to one each of YEG-YHM and YEG-YYZ. The YHZ flight was moved from YYZ to YHM as well.

There is going to be quite a lot of capacity on certain routes... let the games begin!!

Cage
Jun 5, 2018, 1:52 AM
Don’t know about their utilisation though.

They’ve basically transferred one of the two planned daily YEG-YYZ to one each of YEG-YHM and YEG-YYZ. The YHZ flight was moved from YYZ to YHM as well.

There is going to be quite a lot of capacity on certain routes... let the games begin!!

Gate availability issues at YYZ T3 forced flair to move some flights to YHM.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 5, 2018, 2:45 AM

Looks like a fail on their due diligence. Talk about throwing a spanner in the works.

When I used to be in public practice (I’m a CPA, CA and worked in M&A for awhile) that would be a fairly fundamental part of a model... do we have slot/gate space available? :uhh:

POCO
Jun 5, 2018, 4:46 AM
I really want Westjet to keep that YVR-YHZ direct year round....

casper
Jun 5, 2018, 5:05 AM

Does YYZ not have hard stands that can be used when all gates are occupied? It is quite poor planning on the airport authority side if they are turning away airlines.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 5, 2018, 5:08 AM

That's such a long thin route though. And very little feed on either end to keep planes full in the winter. They have their main base at YYC with plenty of feed options. This route will rely (mainly) on O&D.

nname
Jun 5, 2018, 5:16 AM

If anything, I could see AC fly the route with CS3 to feed to their Australia flight (morning departure and evening arrival to/from YVR). Other than that, there's probably not enough demand in the winter. WS will probably try to make you connect at YYC in the low-season...

----------------------

Seems like next summer AC will operate daily HNL and 5x weekly OGG.

For Mexico, CUN seems to be 2x weekly and PVR is still 1x weekly.

All with 7M8. Frequency is as of the last week of May and first week of June.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 5, 2018, 8:14 PM
Seems like next summer AC will operate daily HNL and 5x weekly OGG.

For Mexico, CUN seems to be 2x weekly and PVR is still 1x weekly.

All with 7M8. Frequency is as of the last week of May and first week of June.

AC isn’t flying to CUN this summer from YVR so perhaps they are bringing it back summer 2019.

12 weekly 7M8 to Hawaii in the summer sounds like a better fit than 7 weekly rouge 763s.

YVR seems to continue to roll very well with AC.

LeftCoaster
Jun 5, 2018, 8:39 PM
12 weekly 7M8 to Hawaii in the summer sounds like a better fit than 7 weekly rouge 763s.

And a 3.5% boost in capacity :tup:

CareerShow
Jun 6, 2018, 12:32 AM
Thoroughly glad YVR has been derouged. It seems like just yesterday we were stuck with rouge to every destination in California, Hawaii and Mexico...mainline is here to stay hopefully!

POCO
Jun 6, 2018, 2:05 AM
That's such a long thin route though. And very little feed on either end to keep planes full in the winter. They have their main base at YYC with plenty of feed options. This route will rely (mainly) on O&D.

I know you're right. I have hopes for a AC CS300 direct flight... But now theres lots of decent one connection options. I just try to do YVR-YYC-YHZ on WS to avoid what is inevitably a PIA connection in Toronto with a young child and all the "equipment" they require.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 6, 2018, 6:53 AM
Thoroughly glad YVR has been derouged. It seems like just yesterday we were stuck with rouge to every destination in California, Hawaii and Mexico...mainline is here to stay hopefully!

Agreed. The experiment out west must have failed for them but fantastic to see mainline product replacing all rouge routes. YVR has the second highest number of mainline nonstop long haul destinations in AC’s network.... a very distant second to YYZ of course but that’s another pretty impressive statistic.

trofirhen
Jun 6, 2018, 9:31 AM
Agreed. The experiment out west must have failed for them but fantastic to see mainline product replacing all rouge routes. YVR has the second highest number of mainline nonstop long haul destinations in AC’s network.... a very distant second to YYZ of course but that’s another pretty impressive statistic.

Several years back, Calin Rovinescu of AC said that YVR needed to be turned into a solid AC hub. I felt rather doubtful about it at the time, but he seems to be making good on his promise.

thenoflyzone
Jun 6, 2018, 3:06 PM

YVR being de-rouged isnt a good thing. Make no mistake about that.

teriyaki
Jun 6, 2018, 3:24 PM
It is 100percent a good thing in my eyes. The rouge product is tough to bear for short haul and absolutely garbage for long haul operations.
The market conditions here are competitive and AC needs to be competitive both on price point and product. That's a win for customers based in YVR.

Denscity
Jun 6, 2018, 3:26 PM
YVR being de-rouged isnt a good thing. Make no mistake about that.

Yes you never want mainline at any cost.

nname
Jun 6, 2018, 4:47 PM

Like NGO and the potential South America route :cool:

thenoflyzone
Jun 6, 2018, 5:31 PM

That's not what I said. Rouge is a tool in AC's bag to enable certain routes to be launched. YVR now has one less tool in it's bag.

Denscity
Jun 6, 2018, 8:40 PM
That's not what I said. Rouge is a tool in AC's bag to enable certain routes to be launched. YVR now has one less tool in it's bag.

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek. You poke fun, I poke fun. It's all good.
I know what you're saying. But so far, YVR hasn't lost too many flights over this other than NGO. Lots of mainline transfers.
Would AC Rouge try out a South American destination?

LeftCoaster
Jun 6, 2018, 9:01 PM

Fully agreed. Though I only flew Rouge once and it was pretty awful, I wish a small Rouge station was kept at YVR entirely for route launching. Perhaps they can rotate planes through but that's not going to be easy and definitely not a first option for the route planners.

LeftCoaster
Jun 6, 2018, 9:05 PM
Very interesting news, UAE and Air Canada have opened up bilateral discussions:
https://www.thenational.ae/business/aviation/uae-canada-air-talks-are-a-boost-as-emirates-eyes-transatlantic-routes-1.736529

This could result in a few more frequencies between the two nations (or more likely an impasse). If anything comes I hope it results in a small service increase that includes YVR. Nothing too large to be disruptive but a daily or 5xPW would be nice.

I'd be one of the most surprised faces to see Emirates or Ethiad here for anything but a diversion, but this does open up the possibility.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 6, 2018, 9:25 PM
Actually the great news is YVR hasn’t lost any rouge destinations. The vast majority were in the US or Mexico and those are all going to mainline anyway except for LAS.

And with AC’s longhaul options out of YVR there are very few viable markets that rouge could even take a stab at. NGO? Perhaps gone and CTS was mentioned but what other markets in Asia would have the range and / or numbers to work? Nil really!

As for Europe? Well CDG and ZRH now covered by mainline so what’s left? A couple of flights per week to some of the other larger markets? But really not many.

FYI DUB has popped up in the scheds as rouge... I am sure that will change

Denscity
Jun 6, 2018, 10:17 PM
Actually the great news is YVR hasn’t lost any rouge destinations. The vast majority were in the US or Mexico and those are all going to mainline anyway except for LAS.

And with AC’s longhaul options out of YVR there are very few viable markets that rouge could even take a stab at. NGO? Perhaps gone and CTS was mentioned but what other markets in Asia would have the range and / or numbers to work? Nil really!

As for Europe? Well CDG and ZRH now covered by mainline so what’s left? A couple of flights per week to some of the other larger markets? But really not many.

FYI DUB has popped up in the scheds as rouge... I am sure that will change������

That's what I was saying so far Rouge base loss so far hasn't meant many flight losses. The future will tell of course.

LeftCoaster
Jun 6, 2018, 10:37 PM

FYI DUB has popped up in the scheds as rouge... I am sure that will change������

With the exception of maybe CTS Asia undoubtedly is 'Rouged out', but I do think we are going to haev a tougher time launching service to say LIM or BCN without a couple Rouge 763s here than if we did have them. Not a big driver of PAX and growth, and well outside of YVRs strategic focus, but definitely some nice to have destinations.

nname
Jun 6, 2018, 10:40 PM

HRB? FUK? SHE? CJU? LIM? PTY? GLA? PPT? KEF? MAD? BCN?

Probably all the possible Rouge 767 route out of YVR that can be even considered "really really stretching".

I wonder if CTS doable with 7M8.. probably just outside of range? If only AC picked the A321neo....

And I checked NGO through Jun 5, 2019, and it's not in the schedule. But then, for DUB, the flights in May wasn't showing up before yesterday's update, so we don't know yet....

CareerShow
Jun 7, 2018, 1:02 AM

As has been mentioned the only route we will probably lose is Nagoya, which really isn that big of a deal when you think about it. The increase in quality and frequency with mainline to former rouge routes is a plus for travellers, and air canada’a long term viability out of YVR as I am sure rouge results in poor feelings towards air canada by new customers. I’ve flown rouge two or three times and it is absolute garbage, by far the worst aircraft with regard to comfort I’ve ever flown on and very young, unprofessional staff. It’s good for ac competitiveness out of YVR to operate mainline.

SpongeG
Jun 7, 2018, 4:09 AM
from facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/VancouverInternationalAirport/posts/1671452459559208

Vancouver International Airport
4 June at 06:53 ·

To celebrate Air Canada's new non-stop flights from YVR to Zurich and Paris we are giving away free tickets to BOTH of these incredible cities. Just comment below which city you'd rather visit and why and you'll be entered to win. Tell a friend! Maybe they'll bring you if they win! Contest closes June 8th, rules and regs will be posted in comments.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 7, 2018, 9:36 AM
YYZ posted its April 2018 figures today.

Overall YYZ was up 3.6% and 138,000 to almost 4,000,000.

So YVR really did clock in with a good April result up 7.7% up over 143K.

Denscity
Jun 7, 2018, 2:21 PM
Wow YVR had a higher passenger increase than YYZ?!

LeftCoaster
Jun 7, 2018, 3:47 PM
Wow, beating YYZ on an absolute basis is pretty damn impressive.

Denscity
Jun 7, 2018, 4:11 PM
Wow, beating YYZ on an absolute basis is pretty damn impressive.

Ya which airport last did this and when? I thot this would have been impossible!

YYCguys
Jun 7, 2018, 4:24 PM
from facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/VancouverInternationalAirport/posts/1671452459559208

4 June at 06:53 ·

To celebrate Air Canada's new non-stop flights from YVR to Zurich and Paris we are giving away free tickets to BOTH of these incredible cities. Just comment below which city you'd rather visit and why and you'll be entered to win. Tell a friend! Maybe they'll bring you if they win! Contest closes June 8th, rules and regs will be posted in comments.

Awe! Too bad it’s a Facebook only contest. I am eligible to enter except I don’t have, nor do I want to have, a Facebook account.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 7, 2018, 7:03 PM
Speaking of ZRH

The inaugural AC802 is scheduled to depart in just under an hour from D6.

C-GHPX is the 788 for today.

excel
Jun 7, 2018, 7:23 PM
Speaking of ZRH

The inaugural AC802 is scheduled to depart in just under an hour from D6.

C-GHPX is the 788 for today.

My buddy is flying home on the return trip standby and says it is only half sold.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 7, 2018, 7:49 PM
My buddy is flying home on the return trip standby and says it is only half sold.

That’s actually not bad for inaugurals. Bi-directional travel can’t kick in until both sides travel pattern flows meet up.

I remember (back in the day) the first few seasonal flights to MAN had maybe 75 passengers out of 450 seats on a 747 classic!

Johnny Aussie
Jun 7, 2018, 8:37 PM
And she’s off!

AC802 climbing over the interior.

Took off on 08R right behind rouge to KIX. So long rouge! ;)

ETA in ZRH showing almost an hour early too.

Tomorrow... Paris!

trofirhen
Jun 7, 2018, 11:21 PM
And she’s off!

AC802 climbing over the interior.

Took off on 08R right behind rouge to KIX. So long rouge! ;)

ETA in ZRH showing almost an hour early too.

Tomorrow... Paris!

This is really great to see AC mainline to ZRH and CDG. Just too bad it has to be seasonal. (I know the YVR market could not yet support year-round).
But for me, AF is expensive, plus it would be good to have a mainline from Switzerland to YVR year-round, were that possible. Maybe one day ......

nname
Jun 8, 2018, 5:21 AM
Next week Ac's Vyr CDG & Zhg flights start, i wond er if YVR will need it;s new Remote Stands?

Looking at tomorrow's gate assignment, no remote stand needed, at least for now.

Most gate got at least 2 international arrivals and departures during late-morning to early-afternoon. Gate 49 got 3 international arrivals in the morning... and gate 76 is now being used for international.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 8, 2018, 5:45 AM
Looking at tomorrow's gate assignment, no remote stand needed, at least for now.

Most gate got at least 2 international arrivals and departures during late-morning to early-afternoon. Gate 49 got 3 international arrivals in the morning... and gate 76 is now being used for international.

A good thing the expansion of the international gates has commenced. When an airport is maxed out 100% all it takes is one irrop to stuff things up.

AC 802 just landed in ZRH about 10 mins ago..... AC803 turnaround back to YVR in about 2h20m.

nname
Jun 8, 2018, 7:56 AM

Nevermind that.

Now, seems like UA5419 from LAX will use the remote stand E85 for arrival.

First time I've seen E85 being used... and also first time I've seen UA uses the remote stand at YVR.

trofirhen
Jun 8, 2018, 9:40 AM
A good thing the expansion of the international gates has commenced. When an airport is maxed out 100% all it takes is one irrop to stuff things up.

AC 802 just landed in ZRH about 10 mins ago..... AC803 turnaround back to YVR in about 2h20m.

What does irrop mean, please?

Hourglass
Jun 8, 2018, 1:08 PM
What does irrop mean, please?

Short for irregular operations - basically, anything that goes wrong with a flight eg weather, mechanical problem, etc.

twoNeurons
Jun 8, 2018, 3:19 PM
Regarding the derouging... the only market that comes to mind is YVR-CTS ( Sapporo ). There's O&D traffic between the two.

Gordon
Jun 8, 2018, 6:11 PM
I wonder why Gate E 85 remote stand is being used There seems to be gates available around that time in the East Aprom hold room gates E 90 - 96, they couls certainly ground-load regional jets if need be an use gates 90 92 for mainline flights.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 8, 2018, 10:52 PM
AC806 Inaugural to CDG is on its way....

trofirhen
Jun 9, 2018, 12:07 AM
AC806 Inaugural to CDG is on its way....

Excuse me, but what metal are they using?

Orcair
Jun 9, 2018, 12:27 AM
Excuse me, but what metal are they using?

Mainline 787-8s

Johnny Aussie
Jun 9, 2018, 6:10 AM
Bienvenue Air Canada

https://mobile.twitter.com/yvrairport/status/1005233612185223168

https://mobile.twitter.com/ParisAeroport/status/1005322878391341057

zahav
Jun 9, 2018, 7:27 AM
Interesting that WS to YHZ is increased to 7 weekly, but not by making it daily. Instead there are 3 days of twice daily, and then 1 day of 1 flight. Not the typical way we're used to seeing flights, assumption would be daily flights, not this set up

Gordon
Jun 9, 2018, 6:28 PM
Gate E85 is in use again for the Ua lAX departure again this afternoon & a bridged gates is available at the time, it seems that yVE prefres the remote stand to gates 90 - 92

ACT7
Jun 9, 2018, 9:55 PM
Ya which airport last did this and when? I thot this would have been impossible!
Not a huge surprise given that YYZ added almost no new routes early in the year. YVR has been adding new routes at a pretty torrid pace over the past 18 months.

Denscity
Jun 9, 2018, 10:45 PM
Not a huge surprise given that YYZ added almost no new routes early in the year. YVR has been adding new routes at a pretty torrid pace over the past 18 months.

Ya I guess? I've just never seen any airport with larger numbers than the juggernaut and favoured YYZ.

teriyaki
Jun 9, 2018, 11:19 PM
Interesting they're starting remote stand ops when it's not 100percent necessary. Could be a decision to start early with small jets to smooth out the kinks prior to moving on to the big jets?

Johnny Aussie
Jun 10, 2018, 12:21 AM
Interesting they're starting remote stand ops when it's not 100percent necessary. Could be a decision to start early with small jets to smooth out the kinks prior to moving on to the big jets?

Not 100% sure how operations re: gate assignments work anymore. However, is it possible UA is given the option of using gates E90-95 or use gates in the "main" Transborder area and then bus to a remote stand. Perhaps they don't want to use that "temporary" satellite?

nname
Jun 10, 2018, 4:57 AM
Not 100% sure how operations re: gate assignments work anymore. However, is it possible UA is given the option of using gates E90-95 or use gates in the "main" Transborder area and then bus to a remote stand. Perhaps they don't want to use that "temporary" satellite?

Or maybe it's just E93 is currently under maintenance. It haven't been used at all for the past little while...

urbancanadian
Jun 11, 2018, 1:30 AM
How does it work when they use a remote stand? My assumption is that the plane parks at a designated space away from the terminal, then all the passengers walk off the plane and onto a bus which takes everyone to the terminal.

Is that how it works? This is what happened for me in Zurich last month, which was my first experience doing this in years. But that was from a flight within the Schengen area so we didn't need to be separated and clear customs.

trofirhen
Jun 11, 2018, 2:27 AM
How does it work when they use a remote stand? My assumption is that the plane parks at a designated space away from the terminal, then all the passengers walk off the plane and onto a bus which takes everyone to the terminal.

Is that how it works? This is what happened for me in Zurich last month, which was my first experience doing this in years. But that was from a flight within the Schengen area so we didn't need to be separated and clear customs.

Being bussed to a plane has happened to me at Shanghai, Seoul, Istanbul, and as I reacall, Heathrow. It's not really that big a deal. I think any busy / growing airport might do that.

osirisboy
Jun 11, 2018, 2:37 AM
Sounds horrible, gives an impression of a sub par airport

dharper
Jun 11, 2018, 2:43 AM
I don't remember the city in Vietnam, but I was on vacation there in 2016, and we took a bus about 50' from the terminal to the plane. I think it would of been faster if we just walked straight to the plane.

Hourglass
Jun 11, 2018, 5:49 AM
Sounds horrible, gives an impression of a sub par airport

Frankly it's a pain. My worst experience was deplaning at a remote gate in Shanghai in the middle of a typhoon. No fun at all.

Having said that, remote gates are a part of many major airports in Europe and Asia -- including highly rated airports such as Singapore Changi, Hong Kong, Seoul Incheon and Munich. Not many people would consider Changi to be sub par!

It does seem to be much less common at North American airports, though, so I can understand the sentiment.

Langdon0630
Jun 11, 2018, 5:59 AM

Now MCO is gone...

Air Canada rouge closes Vancouver – Orlando W18 reservations (https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/279043/air-canada-rouge-closes-vancouver-orlando-w18-reservations/)
By Jim Liu

Posted11 June 2018 04:00

Air Canada in recent schedule update removed planned service on Vancouver – Orlando route, served by Air Canada rouge on seasonal basis. Originally, the airline planned to switch from Boeing 767 to Airbus A319 for this 2 weekly flights in winter 2018/19 season, however reservation for this route was closed in recent weeks.

Previously listed schedule from 19DEC18 to 24FEB19 as follows.

AC1648 YVR0840 – 1725MCO 319 37
AC1649 MCO1850 – 2150YVR 319 37

jollyburger
Jun 11, 2018, 6:09 AM
Announced back in January

The growth is also stretching YVR’s capacity to accommodate new flights pushing it to adopt so-called remote-stand operations, which started with a couple of flights in 2017.

This is where incoming flights park at specially built concrete pads on the tarmac and passengers are bused back and forth between terminals.

It is common at bigger airports such as Amsterdam’s famed Schiphol airport or Singapore’s Changi airport, Richmond said, and will be more common at YVR.

“We can’t build gates fast enough, so we will be using busing to move people to remote stands where we have aircraft parked,” Richmond said. Busing is cheaper and quicker than building a bridged gate inside the terminal.

YVR is spending $12 million to expand its remote-stand operations this summer, which will involve two locations (compared with up to $50 million to build a single air-bridged gate inside a terminal).

Richmond said about four regular flights will use the remote stands this coming summer, using covered ramps and electric buses.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/b-c/vancouver-airport-accelerates-expansion-on-soaring-passenger-count-1.23152050

osirisboy
Jun 11, 2018, 3:01 PM
Frankly it's a pain. My worst experience was deplaning at a remote gate in Shanghai in the middle of a typhoon. No fun at all.

Having said that, remote gates are a part of many major airports in Europe and Asia -- including highly rated airports such as Singapore Changi, Hong Kong, Seoul Incheon and Munich. Not many people would consider Changi to be sub par!

It does seem to be much less common at North American airports, though, so I can understand the sentiment.

If I flew into any of those airports and had to use a remote stand my impression would definitely be this isn't a great airport, no matter how big and shiny it is

Gordon
Jun 11, 2018, 3:47 PM
2 Remote stands D59 & E85 in use today.

thenoflyzone
Jun 11, 2018, 6:32 PM
How odd.

AC canceling a route with O&D above 75,000 and on the rise. Maybe AC doesn't have the right tools to serve this route. Where did I hear that before?

But yes, bye bye bad Rouge.....

Gordon
Jun 11, 2018, 6:46 PM
Which Route is AC cancelling?

nname
Jun 11, 2018, 6:52 PM
which route is ac cancelling?

yvr-mco

excel
Jun 11, 2018, 9:24 PM
Sunwing introduces non-stop direct flight service from Vancouver to Costa Rica for the first time
Sunwing will be offering a weekly non-stop direct flight service from Vancouver to Liberia in Costa Rica this coming winter; departing on Sundays between December 23rd, 2018 and March 31st, 2019. The flight service is anticipated to be operated on the airline’s new Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft. Once it commences, Sunwing will be the only carrier offering this route direct from Vancouver.
http://www.sunwingtravelgroup.com/en/Our-Brands/Tour-Operations/Sunwing-Vacations/Media-Room/2018/June/Vancouver-to-Costa-Rica

LeftCoaster
Jun 11, 2018, 9:42 PM
^That's great news! One a week is not going to make a ripple in the stats but always great to have a new country on the roster and could mean more service in the future.

This is really great to see AC mainline to ZRH and CDG. Just too bad it has to be seasonal. (I know the YVR market could not yet support year-round).
But for me, AF is expensive, plus it would be good to have a mainline from Switzerland to YVR year-round, were that possible. Maybe one day ......

Well AF flies it year round, so clearly the market can support it. I wouldn't be surprised to see AC go year round on CDG soon, especially given that they often struggle with what to do with their mainline long haul in the winter.

How odd.

AC canceling a route with O&D above 75,000 and on the rise. Maybe AC doesn't have the right tools to serve this route. Where did I hear that before?

But yes, bye bye bad Rouge.....

Arg.

Ya I'm really on your side with this one, tough to see routes not get launched that could, and even tougher to see routes that already are launched get cut. NGO is next no doubt.

Hopefully the C series allows AC to bring MCO back on a more appropriately sized plane.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 11, 2018, 11:22 PM
The loss of a twice weekly flight to MCO is unfortunate but like I’ve said all other rouge flights have converted to mainline.
Obviously with the closing of the rouge base in YVR the options are:

1) rotate the flights through an eastern base
2) convert it to mainline
3) close the route

Perhaps it will flip over to mainline.

There are very few destinations in North America that would suit rouge that haven’t been transferred to mainline (all but MCO). Looks like VEGAS may be the only rouge route left.

I wouldn’t get too excited about this one. The overall increases next winter are pretty huge.

nname
Jun 12, 2018, 5:00 AM

Now NGO also popped up in the schedule as rouge on this Tuesday's update, 3x weekly service starting Jun 1, 2019.

Looking at tomorrow's gate assignment, seems like UA from LAX and JL for NRT will again use remote stand...
And just noticed, after CMA moved to south terminal, gate G2 is finally being used.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 12, 2018, 8:16 PM
Now NGO also popped up in the schedule as rouge on this Tuesday's update, 3x weekly service starting Jun 1, 2019.

Looking at tomorrow's gate assignment, seems like UA from LAX and JL for NRT will again use remote stand...
And just noticed, after CMA moved to south terminal, gate G2 is finally being used.

Next summer’s schedule is a long way off.
AC generally loads the previous summer’s schedule as a default.
However, the NGO and DUB scheds rotate with each other as of the scheds now.

Gordon
Jun 13, 2018, 4:33 AM
Does any one have updates on the pier D expansion?

zahav
Jun 13, 2018, 7:04 AM
D Pier expansion is moving along, they are doing all the foundation and excavation work now, maybe some posts starting to go in too already? Not sure though, but construction is underway. Anyone going to be in Pier D and can take some pics?

trofirhen
Jun 13, 2018, 9:27 PM
http://www.therouteshop.com/profiles/vancouver-international-airport/

Barcelona
YVR-BCN is the largest European market without non-stop service. The market between Vancouver and Barcelona was 28,475 passengers in 2015. This route would be ideal as a seasonal service over the summer period.

libtard
Jun 13, 2018, 11:30 PM
Announced back in January

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/b-c/vancouver-airport-accelerates-expansion-on-soaring-passenger-count-1.23152050

What do they mean they can't build gates fast enough? How many gates are they currently building?

thenoflyzone
Jun 14, 2018, 1:06 AM
http://www.therouteshop.com/profiles/vancouver-international-airport/

Barcelona
YVR-BCN is the largest European market without non-stop service. The market between Vancouver and Barcelona was 28,475 passengers in 2015. This route would be ideal as a seasonal service over the summer period.

YVR-BCN is Rouge territory. So zero chance of that happening now for the foreseeable future.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 14, 2018, 3:21 AM
YVR-BCN is Rouge territory. So zero chance of that happening now for the foreseeable future.

Tried and failed with Transat.

Another route too thin for YVR. Rouge or no rouge.

Next.

osirisboy
Jun 14, 2018, 3:28 AM
Tried and failed with Transat.

Another route too thin for YVR. Rouge or no rouge.

Next.

How about Lima or panama

Johnny Aussie
Jun 14, 2018, 4:50 AM
How about Lima or panama

Be tough to make any route work basing say only one a/c at YVR.

Perhaps 2 flights a week.

Problem is there probably wouldn’t be enough routes to fill a rouge 763 even a couple of flights per week to warrant opening a base.

PTY I doubt is large enough to fill even a twice weekly service.

The utilisation to make LIM work rotating through YYZ or YUL would also be tough.

osirisboy
Jun 14, 2018, 4:52 AM
Be tough to make any route work basing say only one a/c at YVR.

Perhaps 2 flights a week.

Problem is there probably wouldn’t be enough routes to fill a rouge 763 even a couple of flights per week to warrant opening a base.

The utilisation to make LIM work rotating through YYZ or YUL would also be tough.

So when Craig Richmond has goals of connecting yvr to South America what cities could he be thinking of?

nname
Jun 14, 2018, 5:23 AM

The good thing about PTY is that the distance is short enough be run with a 7M8... and both sides are SA hubs. However, I see it's more likely for COPA to run the route rather than AC...

zahav
Jun 14, 2018, 7:15 AM
So when Craig Richmond has goals of connecting yvr to South America what cities could he be thinking of?

He cpuld be thinking of routes like Lima, but he didn't only think of Air Canada. There are South American carriers that I'm sure YVR would love to have, like Aviance or LATAM (both airlines have multiple divisions for the various countries).

Just checking this summer's latest sched tweaks, and looks like Delta is bringing back the 757 :) It will be operating the afternoon MSP flight. Nice to see them upgauging even a bit from the 737-9, and FI is the only other one to operate 757s now so it's definitely a win for aircraft variety, we have tons of 737s. YVR is unique amongst Canadian airports for its propertion of US carrier larger capacity aircraft on transborder markets, we see far more 737-900s, -800s, and proportionally less RJs and ERJs.

Also Air Canada has upgauged their evening SFO flight to a 321 from a 319. Small tweaks at this stage since we are in summer already, but good to see increases even at this stage.

trofirhen
Jun 14, 2018, 2:55 PM

At a Vancouver Board of Trade meeting a couple of years back, Craig Richmond touted the advantages of YVR - GRU, connecting to Hong Kong.
While most of China, including HK is closer to São Paulo via DXB, this not the case for NE Asia, especially Japan. As I mentioned, Tokyo-YVR-GRU is only 44 miles longer than via YYZ.
This may seem hard to believe, but going north, as the lines of longitude converge, the East-West distance is less, and such a flight would have its northern leg quite Poleward.

moosejaw
Jun 14, 2018, 4:11 PM
This may seem hard to believe, but going north, as the lines of longitude converge, the East-West distance is less, and such a flight would have its northern leg quite Poleward.

That is true as many people have a hard time believing the planet is round!

Gordon
Jun 15, 2018, 2:21 AM
where is the gate E85 remote stand located in relation To D59?

When the UA EWR service starts(1PM dep) some days we could see 2 trans boarder flights @ remote stands.

Hourglass
Jun 15, 2018, 2:35 AM
Quite a few articles out about the numerous expansion projects st YVR:

http://theprovince.com/business/commercial-real-estate/yvr-set-to-announce-9-1-billion-in-expansion-plans/wcm/39f0f461-59c7-4d46-84e1-2e2671b3211e?video_autoplay=true

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-international-airport-expansion-2018-plan-yvr

Don’t think it’s anything we haven’t seen before, but the cost has increased from$5.6B to $9.1B.

SpongeG
Jun 15, 2018, 3:50 AM
YVR Breaks Ground on Multi-Year Expansion Projects to Further its Position as a World-Class Connecting Hub and Strong Economic Generator for British Columbia

June 14, 2018 · Richmond, B.C.

YVR investing $9.1 billion into the airport under its 20-year blueprint

Today, Vancouver International Airport (YVR) broke ground on a number of capital construction projects to enhance the airport experience and improve YVR’s competitive position as a world-class connecting hub. The projects are part of YVR’s multi-year expansion plans that will see the airport complete 75 major projects, totaling $9.1 billion over the next 20 years.

Vancouver Airport Authority President and CEO Craig Richmond was joined by British Columbia Premier John Horgan; Ken Hardie, Member of Parliament for Fleetwood-Port Kells; and Fiona Famulak, President of the Vancouver Regional Construction Association to celebrate the groundbreaking of YVR’s construction projects. They include building one of the largest GeoExchange systems in Canada, significant terminal expansions, new parking options and improved vehicle rental facilities.

YVR is one of the fastest-growing airports in North America. It welcomed a record 24.2 million passengers in 2017 and is forecasting 32 million passengers by 2022. About 327,000 tonnes of cargo are expected to move through the airport by 2020. These newest construction projects will improve the speed with which people and goods move through YVR, and provide passengers with a wide range of compelling offerings and amenities.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/media/news-releases/2018/yvr-breaks-ground-on-multi-year-expansion-projects

Hourglass
Jun 15, 2018, 1:08 PM
Not directly YVR-related, but Delta is dropping SEA-HKG

https://news.delta.com/delta-add-seattle-osaka-service-partnership-korean-air-2019

I wonder if HK Airlines or Cathay Pacific will take it up.

A bit surprised they couldn't make the route work; by comparison, YVR-HKG is, what, 31x/week?

SpongeG
Jun 15, 2018, 5:15 PM
YVR posted some pics/renders of the pier d expansion

2 hrs ·
This is what D Pier will look like once upgrades are complete. Spectacular architecture, more gates, open spaces, improved food and beverage offerings and a forest inside the terminal (!)

https://scontent.fyxd1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/35387780_1683866234984497_483245453580697600_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=0fc18226f09e607cee742e60a1c7fb4c&oe=5BACE2ED

https://scontent.fyxd1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/35328313_1683866344984486_36991814586073088_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=74cbcd686aaf279cc7569986cd224095&oe=5BA9C5D8

https://scontent.fyxd1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/35404349_1683866241651163_5513934823409844224_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=94d5003e80470ea971633678edb4f6a4&oe=5BA49F3C

https://scontent.fyxd1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/35347230_1683866208317833_70948478863278080_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=5c70b3b412ee3dab5167bac6d86d2887&oe=5BB7E837

excel
Jun 15, 2018, 6:59 PM
YVR continues to set the bar high in North America.

trofirhen
Jun 15, 2018, 7:18 PM
Not directly YVR-related, but Delta is dropping SEA-HKG

https://news.delta.com/delta-add-seattle-osaka-service-partnership-korean-air-2019

I wonder if HK Airlines or Cathay Pacific will take it up.

A bit surprised they couldn't make the route work; by comparison, YVR-HKG is, what, 31x/week?

Speaking of Delta, I went to their site and noticed that, according to their latest route map out of Seattle, the do have a (seemingly) year-round service to Osaka, while YVR is seasonal.
Also, looking at the YVR Wikipedia page, I noticed that Delta has cut way back on its services to the USA, and now only Minneapolis is mainline year-round from YVR.
The other destinations are all seasonal, except for Delta Connection to SLC and Seattle, and also to Minneapolis. So it might seem that Delta is doing some serious reshuffling.
But yes, their service to Asia is somewhat less than that of Air Canada's from YVR, although they do have, from SEA, Asiana, to Seoul, which we don't have.
Sorry to be a bit off-topic. This is not intended as trolling, but as a comparison between the two cities; and AC and Delta in particular.