PDA

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143

excel
Jun 15, 2018, 6:59 PM
YVR continues to set the bar high in North America.

trofirhen
Jun 15, 2018, 7:18 PM
Not directly YVR-related, but Delta is dropping SEA-HKG

https://news.delta.com/delta-add-seattle-osaka-service-partnership-korean-air-2019

I wonder if HK Airlines or Cathay Pacific will take it up.

A bit surprised they couldn't make the route work; by comparison, YVR-HKG is, what, 31x/week?

Speaking of Delta, I went to their site and noticed that, according to their latest route map out of Seattle, the do have a (seemingly) year-round service to Osaka, while YVR is seasonal.
Also, looking at the YVR Wikipedia page, I noticed that Delta has cut way back on its services to the USA, and now only Minneapolis is mainline year-round from YVR.
The other destinations are all seasonal, except for Delta Connection to SLC and Seattle, and also to Minneapolis. So it might seem that Delta is doing some serious reshuffling.
But yes, their service to Asia is somewhat less than that of Air Canada's from YVR, although they do have, from SEA, Asiana, to Seoul, which we don't have.
Sorry to be a bit off-topic. This is not intended as trolling, but as a comparison between the two cities; and AC and Delta in particular.

nname
Jun 15, 2018, 7:22 PM
Speaking of Delta, I went to their site and noticed that, according to their latest route map out of Seattle, the do have a (seemingly) year-round service to Osaka, while YVR is seasonal.

SEA-KIX starts next year as a replacement for HKG, and seems like it's not loaded into the schedule yet.

thenoflyzone
Jun 15, 2018, 8:53 PM
The 77E used on SEA-HKG will go to MSP-ICN instead. SEA-KIX will be a B763, and frankly, is a poor substitue. Wont be surprised if it is pulled in a year or two.

With the DL/KE Joint venture in full swing, MSP-ICN makes more sense than SEA-HKG, especially if the latter was losing money.

This is no different than AC deciding to start YUL-PVG/NRT/PEK* instead of YVR-SIN/BKK. Leverage the JV or other alliance destinations instead of embarking on long and thin routes that might lose money.

Not saying YVR-SIN will never happen.

*AC/CA metal neutral route

Johnny Aussie
Jun 15, 2018, 8:55 PM
YVR continues to set the bar high in North America.

Yes it does.

YVR needs to remain competitive and these numerous projects will definitely help keep YVR in a great position.

A good read of the many articles about the expansion really confirms that the current leadership at YVRAA really “gets it.” Fantastic vision but with the acknowledgment that “hey, we have to be careful not to overbuild too as our projections may change on a dime.” I don’t believe anyone would have thought the rapid growth seen in recent years would have started to put a strain on the current infrastructure so soon.
But it does sound like remote stands will be used and even after the current expansion takes place. A cheap and somewhat easy solution to handle excess gate demand. Also, sounds like further terminal expansions are being brought forward due to the unforeseen rapid growth that’s occurred.
Kudos to Richmond and his team.

Did someone mention BKK? I’m there now :) first trip on an A350-900 (TG nonstop MEL-BKK) lovely service and a great ride!

Johnny Aussie
Jun 15, 2018, 9:13 PM
Flair starts new routes to YYC and YWG today.
Nonstops to YWG start next week I think.

Release the balloons!

dharper
Jun 16, 2018, 3:40 AM
Any idea when YVR plans to build the north-south taxiway? Is it a short term project or about 20 years out?

zahav
Jun 16, 2018, 8:14 PM
The runway is not in their immediate plans. It isn't part of this most recent 9-nillion investment at least. But they have secured air rights for a potential 3rd runway, much to the annoyance of City of Richmond who apparently want taller building in the City Centre and the runway plans prohibit this. Talk about an SSP dilemna LOL expand the airport or taller buildings, why must we choose?! :)

And speaking to the Delta thing... noflyzone is right, droppiing a daily 777 to HKG and replacing with a potential 763 to KIX (which isn't even formal yet) isn't a substitute, and hasn't been mentioned whether daily or seasonal. And Delta's service out of YVR has not shrunk; they have always been seasonal to ATL, JFK was always seasonsl (and a relatively recent addition as this route didn't even exist 10 years ago), Seattle is all gains compared to a few years ago when it was zero, and MSP and SLC are basically how they always have been.

Saying SEA service to Asia is somewhat less than that of Air Canada's from YVR is a a bit confusing, did you mean comparing Delta to Air Canada? If that's the case then yes, they are comparable. AC will have HKG and TPE that Delta won't have, Delta won't have any that AC doesn't have. But bringing in other airlines (as you mentioned Asian), YVR has way way more, honestly too many too list. SEA's Asia service is more than somewhat less than YVR, that's just relaity, not in a competition sense.

Cage
Jun 17, 2018, 2:18 AM
The 77E used on SEA-HKG will go to MSP-ICN instead. SEA-KIX will be a B763, and frankly, is a poor substitue. Wont be surprised if it is pulled in a year or two.

With the DL/KE Joint venture in full swing, MSP-ICN makes more sense than SEA-HKG, especially if the latter was losing money.

This will be second time Delta has left HKG. THe first time DL dropped PDX-HKG and gave the slot to AC to start YVR-HKG. This was during the Hollis Harris days.

The DL/KE JV is only part of the problem. DL doesn't have a proper west coast hub until SEA completes the international arrivals processing facility off concourse A.

However, once the international arrivals area is expanded, SEA will be a fierce competitor for YVR. Good thing that YVR has a great executive team (probably best in the world IMHO).

I believe that incumbency and superior experience will win the day for YVR, but they better not rest on their laurels.

If I were YVRAA, I would do the 8 gate concourse D expansion right away rather than go to four gate expansion with two gates all ready roughed in with the remote stands.

moosejaw
Jun 17, 2018, 2:58 AM
This will be second time Delta has left HKG. THe first time DL dropped PDX-HKG and gave the slot to AC to start YVR-HKG. This was during the Hollis Harris days.

The DL/KE JV is only part of the problem. DL doesn't have a proper west coast hub until SEA completes the international arrivals processing facility off concourse A.

However, once the international arrivals area is expanded, SEA will be a fierce competitor for YVR. Good thing that YVR has a great executive team (probably best in the world IMHO).

I believe that incumbency and superior experience will win the day for YVR, but they better not rest on their laurels.

If I were YVRAA, I would do the 8 gate concourse D expansion right away rather than go to four gate expansion with two gates all ready roughed in with the remote stands.

no joke seatacs expansion will give YVR a run for its money
I flew in there last week and had no idea what was happening there
If you read online publications SeaTac has YVR right in its crosshairs.

trofirhen
Jun 17, 2018, 11:24 AM
no joke seatacs expansion will give YVR a run for its money
I flew in there last week and had no idea what was happening there
If you read online publications SeaTac has YVR right in its crosshairs.

That is something I'm sure a number of people in Vacouver (and esp at YVR) have been thinking seriously about.
As a major corporate centre (Microsoft Boeing, Amazon, should I mention Starbucks, too?) and the fastest growing major US city, it's only natural that SEA-TAC is ready to boom.
There will be competition to further attract airlines and destinations that YVR does not have, as already with EK, and European destinations like Cologne (see map if you think I'm kidding).
https://www.portseattle.org/page/non-stop-international-routes
The EUROWINGS map seems to indicate numerous seasonal destinations that fromSEA that YVR doesn't have. ("set departure airport" Seatttle and watch what comes up.)
Correct me if I have made a mistake with this one; perhaps it means going to cologne-Bonn first, perhaps not.
https://www.eurowings.com/us/information/route-network.world.html#0
Then there's upcoming competition for TK (to be snarled held back, it seems, by Transport Canada, thank you Ottawa).
I also wonder if SEA-TAC plans to eventually "bite into" YVR's South Pacific (Aus-NZ) roster or not.
I do not know if Vancouver as a city has the size and "critical mass" businesswise to compete with what Seattle is going to have, but as mentioned, YVR will be
"in the crosshairs," it's strong suit being that it is the only major CANADIAN city on the West Coast.

thenoflyzone
Jun 17, 2018, 3:31 PM

I was thinking this as well. 4 gates seems a bit too modest for YVR's growth.

Lancaster
Jun 17, 2018, 4:34 PM
However, once the international arrivals area is expanded, SEA will be a fierce competitor for YVR.

Aren't one of the four gates already built? This is then a three gate expansion?

Gordon
Jun 17, 2018, 5:09 PM
Gate D62 is a temporary gate that will be replaced by the 4 new gates

The remote stands are at the east end of the airport near the end of Pier E

nname
Jun 17, 2018, 9:05 PM

The F-pier expansion should start immediately after the D-pier. That would bring much more gates.

Lancaster
Jun 17, 2018, 10:45 PM
The F-pier expansion should start immediately after the D-pier. That would bring much more gates.

Does it add gates? I thought it was just updating 90-96.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 18, 2018, 12:02 AM
Good thing that YVR has a great executive team (probably best in the world IMHO).

First point - agreed. Excellent vision and drive.

Second point - that’s exactly what they’re not doing. The current leadership team is fully aware of its competition. Mr Richmond has publicly stated they see SEA as their biggest threat. Clearly they are not resting on their laurels.

Does it add gates? I thought it was just updating 90-96.

Pretty sure the “F” pier will be replacing the current “temporary” little satellite. The expansion plans indicate a new concourse to be constructed.

Metro-One
Jun 18, 2018, 2:48 AM
Is upgrading the traffic lights to interchanges on Sea Island still part of the plan?

The road / ramp system to and from YVR is arguably the most underbuilt I have ever seen for a major airport.

Also hope this includes a second platform for YVR station and more connectivity to and from the station.

libtard
Jun 18, 2018, 7:13 AM
:previous:

Interesting that you mention that metro-one. I was looking at street view of Grant McConachie way. One of the few remnants in the lower mainland of a concrete surface road. Its funny that people complain about the quality of ride on I-5 just south of the border because of it's concrete surface. The approach to YVR is by far the worst quality of ride I've ever driven on in terms of concrete surface. I'm not sure why but BC doesn't take any preventative measures when it comes to concrete surface maintenance. They just let the old roads decay into nothing, occasionally giving a pothole an asphalt patch. Pretty sad for such a world renowned airport

https://imageshack.com/a/img924/7670/Y8Y9pu.png

nname
Jun 18, 2018, 9:27 AM
Someone from Airliners posted that PR is planning to start MNL-YVR-ORD starting W19...

Metro-One
Jun 18, 2018, 10:25 AM
:previous:

Interesting that you mention that metro-one. I was looking at street view of Grant McConachie way. One of the few remnants in the lower mainland of a concrete surface road. Its funny that people complain about the quality of ride on I-5 just south of the border because of it's concrete surface. The approach to YVR is by far the worst quality of ride I've ever driven on in terms of concrete surface. I'm not sure why but BC doesn't take any preventative measures when it comes to concrete surface maintenance. They just let the old roads decay into nothing, occasionally giving a pothole an asphalt patch. Pretty sad for such a world renowned airport

https://imageshack.com/a/img924/7670/Y8Y9pu.png

When I went to SFU the road up Burnaby Mountain was concrete near the top, but also poorly maintained (haven’t been up there for years so maybe it has changed now)

But yes, you look at the road / ramp systems around so many other major airports around the developed world and Grant McConachie Way better be completely rebuilt with no signalized intersections as part of this 9 billion dollar plan.

The best contrast comparison in Canada would be the road / ramp system on Sea Island versus those accessing Toronto Pearson. And seeing how this is federal, no provincial excuse on this one (save for the shit non-existing connection between Sea Island and the 99)

thenoflyzone
Jun 18, 2018, 3:29 PM
Someone from Airliners posted that PR is planning to start MNL-YVR-ORD starting W19...

PAL gets their first A350 this month. This will start freeing up B77Ws for new routes, or tag-on flights.

ORD and IAH were mentioned last year, both via YVR.

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/09/19/philippine-airlines-vancouver-chicago-houston/

LeftCoaster
Jun 18, 2018, 10:34 PM
Saying SEA service to Asia is somewhat less than that of Air Canada's from YVR is a a bit confusing, did you mean comparing Delta to Air Canada? If that's the case then yes, they are comparable. AC will have HKG and TPE that Delta won't have, Delta won't have any that AC doesn't have. But bringing in other airlines (as you mentioned Asian), YVR has way way more, honestly too many too list. SEA's Asia service is more than somewhat less than YVR, that's just relaity, not in a competition sense.

Either way they're leagues apart, in fact from a relative standpoint, YVR is about 3x SEA on both metrics:

Total Asia-Pac seats:
YVR: 60,000
SEA: 20,000

Hub Asia-Pac Seats
YVR: 23,200
SEA: 7,400

Correct me if I have made a mistake with this one; perhaps it means going to cologne-Bonn first, perhaps not.
https://www.eurowings.com/us/information/route-network.world.html#0
Then there's upcoming competition for TK (to be snarled held back, it seems, by Transport Canada, thank you Ottawa).
I also wonder if SEA-TAC plans to eventually "bite into" YVR's South Pacific (Aus-NZ) roster or not.
I do not know if Vancouver as a city has the size and "critical mass" businesswise to compete with what Seattle is going to have, but as mentioned, YVR will be
"in the crosshairs," it's strong suit being that it is the only major CANADIAN city on the West Coast.

Seattle is served by Eurowings to one city: Cologne. This, along with Shenzhen and Dubai are the only non-stop intl destinations served by SEA not served by YVR. YVR on the other hand has Shenyang, Zhengzhou, Nagoya, Xiamen, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Tianjin, Manila, Guangzhou, Kunming, Nanjing, Auckland, Qingdao, Delhi, and oh ya... Hong Kong :)

Seattle's longhaul is no where near as large as YVR. Full stop.

SEA served 5.13 million intl passengers in 2017 and grew 5.42%
YVR served 12.4 million intl passengers in 2017 and grew 11.5%

It's not even close. The real question is will Seattle ever have critical mass to compete with what YVR will have.

I truly don't understand this either. I get YVR is prudent and doesn't want to overbuild, but at this point it seems like it would take a major hit for this to not be UNDERBUILT from day one.

Is upgrading the traffic lights to interchanges on Sea Island still part of the plan?

The road / ramp system to and from YVR is arguably the most underbuilt I have ever seen for a major airport.

Also hope this includes a second platform for YVR station and more connectivity to and from the station.

I believe the only light in the short term that is going interchange is Templeton. Pretty frustrating.

The curbside experience at YVR is getting pretty poor. It used to work OK when we were around 15 million PAX, but it is very strained now. I think it is something that needs to be addressed if YVR wants to keep the customer experience at an elevated level.

Ya, still speculation as far as I can tell. I think something more underserved like IAH, IAD or MIA would be a much better call, but I don't have the info PR does so maybe ORD is a better call :shrug:

nname
Jun 18, 2018, 11:10 PM
Either way they're leagues apart, in fact from a relative standpoint, YVR is about 3x SEA on both metrics:

Total Asia-Pac seats:
YVR: 60,000
SEA: 20,000

Hub Asia-Pac Seats
YVR: 23,200
SEA: 7,400

Seattle is served by Eurowings to one city: Cologne. This, along with Shenzhen and Dubai are the only non-stop intl destinations served by SEA not served by YVR. YVR on the other hand has Shenyang, Zhengzhou, Nagoya, Xiamen, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Tianjin, Manila, Guangzhou, Kunming, Nanjing, Auckland, Qingdao, Delhi, and oh ya... Hong Kong :)

From wiki, Eurowings is ending SEA service after the end of this season.

And for SZX, the only reason for this route to exist is probably due to the huge subsidy the SZX government is willing to provide... probably same as the SZX-TSN-YVR route. It will be interesting to see which route will survive after the subsidy expires.

As far as I know, the subsidy from SZX is 100M RMB (20M CAD) for first year for long-hual route with at least 2x weekly flight. The subsidy will reduce to 75% and 50% of that for second and third year.

For the SZX-TSN-YVR route, seems like HU just rely on subsidy and doesn't even bother trying to fill the plane. The ticket are super expensive compared to the other flights to Asia, and for the flights I've checked, the LF is about 25% to 40%.

LeftCoaster
Jun 18, 2018, 11:21 PM
Yeah lots of the North America - Tier 2 cities probably rely on subsidies, YVR moreso than SEA simply on account of how many Tier 2 cities are served by YVR.

As for Eurowings, isn't the rumour that they are moving their longhaul base from Cologne to Dusseldorf which is why the SEA service is 'ending' when in fact it is just moving? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

LeftCoaster
Jun 18, 2018, 11:31 PM
Just for fun, here's YVR's Asia-Pac route map and SEA's:

YVR
https://i.imgur.com/FMmoILL.gif

SEA
https://i.imgur.com/hmMMxcU.gif
(note: Dubai is too far outside of the map and made it go all wonky, so I took it out, but imagine one more dot)

trofirhen
Jun 19, 2018, 2:07 AM
It'd be great to get Singapore back! There's now a LAX-Singapore nonstop, but it's several thousand km longer than via Vancouver. That would largely round out YVR's Pacific roster

s211
Jun 19, 2018, 4:48 AM

YVR

SEA

A lot more house shoppers coming to Vancouver versus Seattle, I'd wager.

SpongeG
Jun 19, 2018, 8:31 AM
That Emirates flight flew over where I am up north today. I use that flightradear thing, rarely see planes but sometimes of the day you do, there was the Emirates Dubai - Seattle, Then there was a SAS Copenhagen to Seattle, a JFK - Tokyo and a Luthansa Frankfurt to YVR. All within about 15 minutes of each other, 2 of them were about the same time.

Hourglass
Jun 19, 2018, 8:42 AM

YVR

SEA
(note: Dubai is too far outside of the map and made it go all wonky, so I took it out, but imagine one more dot)

Nice one LeftCoaster. Clearly, YVR has a significant edge over SEA on Asian routes. Would be interesting to see a similar comparison for Europe...

trofirhen
Jun 19, 2018, 12:23 PM
Nice one LeftCoaster. Clearly, YVR has a significant edge over SEA on Asian routes. Would be interesting to see a similar comparison for Europe...

Same here, the biggest difference, of course, is the Seattle presence of EMIRATES, which, according to xhat I've read does a hefty trade out of Seattle to DBX.
I wonder about their prices, which I would have imagined as being fairly high, and how much O&D from Seattle there is, and where ongoing pax are transferring to.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 20, 2018, 4:33 AM

I think the only European destinations that YVR has that SEA doesn’t are MUC, GLA and ZRH.

SEA does have seasonal flights to CGN however this route may not last more than one season. DE also tried MUC last summer but that failed as well.

EK did increase SEA-DXB to twice daily but that was quickly wound back to one daily only.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 20, 2018, 8:33 AM
Oh yeah and....

Flew back from BKK to MEL yesterday and again excellent service on TG. The A350 is really a nice ride.

But alas we used a remote gate. First time ever leaving BKK from a remote stand.

In any event, no big deal really and I don’t think that’s a reflection on poor service or a bad airport experience. So as for YVR and it’s remote stand boardings.... that’s becoming the reality for a few flights due to its massive growth.

teriyaki
Jun 20, 2018, 12:53 PM
Have yet to fly on a a350 proper. With 3 airlines in YVR operating it it's only a matter of time.

Most recent trip has me on a Thai 747 from BKK to HKT. Was super stoked to fly the Queen of the skies one last time but boy did I notice it's really showing its age now. Would not want to fly it long-haul. Give me composite aircraft all day long with its better humidity and quiet cabin even though they're "boring".

Klazu
Jun 20, 2018, 1:45 PM
Heh, nice job in finding an opportunity to brag about a recent flight, Johnny. There is often so much elitism and superiority in this thread disguised as 'relevant' commenting. Just hilarious at times. :yes:

Denscity
Jun 20, 2018, 1:52 PM
That Emirates flight flew over where I am up north today. I use that flightradear thing, rarely see planes but sometimes of the day you do, there was the Emirates Dubai - Seattle, Then there was a SAS Copenhagen to Seattle, a JFK - Tokyo and a Luthansa Frankfurt to YVR. All within about 15 minutes of each other, 2 of them were about the same time.

All of those flights fly over here as well besides the JFK one.

trofirhen
Jun 20, 2018, 4:48 PM
SEA does have seasonal flights to CGN however this route may not last more than one season. DE also tried MUC last summer but that failed as well.

EK did increase SEA-DXB to twice daily but that was quickly wound back to one daily only.

Yes, the Wikpeedia link (if anyone's got the interest in looking) does show EK dropping a big 17 percent at SEA. Are their prices too high or what?
Anyone interested in this can observe the SEA-TAC Wikipedia link right here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle%E2%80%93Tacoma_International_Airport

;)Down the list, please note the busiest international (all inclusive) out of SEA
Compare it with other major destinations like LHR, Toyko, AMS, CDG.
You might not only get a surprise, but a very "telling" surprise, unless I'm wrong.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 20, 2018, 7:44 PM
Have yet to fly on a a350 proper. With 3 airlines in YVR operating it it's only a matter of time.

Most recent trip has me on a Thai 747 from BKK to HKT. Was super stoked to fly the Queen of the skies one last time but boy did I notice it's really showing its age now. Would not want to fly it long-haul. Give me composite aircraft all day long with its better humidity and quiet cabin even though they're "boring".

You can still snag a ride out of YVR on 744s on BA (winter), LH (year-round) or QF (seasonal winter / summer). QF's are being retired in a couple of years but I don't think BA or LH have a definite time frame for a phase out yet.

But if you don't want to fly long haul options are limited :P

But you're right as more airlines bring in the A350 it's just a matter of time!

mezzanine
Jun 20, 2018, 8:11 PM

TBH, D pier is already a long walk. I suspect YVR is worried about physical limitations to expanding D. You'll know this yourself if you deplane a flight at the far end of D and you try to look for a washroom after your long flight - AFAIK, you have to hoof it all the way to close to the customs hall.

I wonder if there is a work around - moving more transborder flights away from E? faster people movers? a washroom by the D pier arrivals expansion?

http://flightsnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Vancouver-International-Airport-Reviews-Terminal-Map.png

link (http://flightsnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Vancouver-International-Airport-Reviews-Terminal-Map-300x216.png)

For those not familiar with d pier, AFAIK there are no washrooms for arriving pax from gate 64 until ~ 71. The washrooms shown at D are for departures.

teriyaki
Jun 20, 2018, 8:53 PM
One other thing that would continue to get worse is the walk from security and/or the plaza premium lounge to the gates at the far end of D for international. The current location of the lounge is already quite a few minutes walk, adding in the expansions will mean leaving even earlier to get to the gate.

Never crossed my mind to think about the arrivals washroom access but I think you're right that all of them are located close to the actual customs area at the earliest. Personally I've noticed that the washrooms in the baggage hall are placed extremely far, all the way at the end . If you are in the first carousel or close to the customs area that is a long walk as well.

Hourglass
Jun 21, 2018, 6:40 AM
Oh yeah and....

Flew back from BKK to MEL yesterday and again excellent service on TG. The A350 is really a nice ride.

But alas we used a remote gate. First time ever leaving BKK from a remote stand.

In any event, no big deal really and I don’t think that’s a reflection on poor service or a bad airport experience. So as for YVR and it’s remote stand boardings.... that’s becoming the reality for a few flights due to its massive growth.

Yeah the A350 is really nice. Much better than B777 imo. Can’t speak to the 787 (I mainly travel via CX and they don’t have any in their fleet.

Honestly, I think the remote stand thing is much more common (and accepted) in Asia and Europe than in North America. Besides YVR, is there a major airport in the US or Canada that has remote stand operations?

CloudInspector
Jun 21, 2018, 7:56 AM
AeroMexico is adding a third daily flight on Saturdays between December 15th and March 2nd.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/279216/aeromexico-increases-vancouver-service-in-w18/

Guess they’re doing okay here... ;)

Cage
Jun 21, 2018, 4:06 PM

Only the incumbent airlines benefit from a limited expansion. So I could see AC putting forth a comment that only a 4 gate expansion is required incase of a late 90s style Asian recession. In reality, AC just wants to limit WS expansion.

On YVRAA part, I would be weary of listening and 100% trusting WS. SO if WS wants the additional 4 gates, then YVRAA should require that WS signs a long term lease and agrees to backstop the debt. WS has left most of the major Canadian airport authorities with underutilized infrastructure or has not followed through on growth commitments.

Pretty sure the “F” pier will be replacing the current “temporary” little satellite. The expansion plans indicate a new concourse to be constructed.

While the F-pier replaces the 90-96 gates, it also expands the operations to allow for 737/320 size airplanes to comfortably operate. Current configuration has a tight 3 gate mainline setup with 3 hardstand gates that comfortably operate to DH8-300 size but struggle with Q400 size.

The path to better road infrastructure on Sea Island goes through Richmond City Council. way back in the 1980s there was a huge problem with Richmond to Downtown Vancouver commuters using the departures level roadway to cut through on their daily commute.

The GVRD and Richmond wanted to have the Federal government pay 100% for all Sea Island road interchanges and to accommodate the 100,000 living west of No3 Road.

Eventually the feds paid for interchange like road to get commuters from the Arthur Laing Bridge to Russ Baker way.

.... show EK dropping a big 17 percent at SEA. Are their prices too high or what?
DL CEO Ed Bastian is in tight with the Trump Administration. DL took the lead on a fight between US3 vs ME3. In the settlement of the lobby dispute and as a result of Trump banning air traffic from some mostly Muslim countries, EK was forced to scale back US operations. SEA went from 2x/day to 1x/day.

DL is having its comeuppance right now. Last major US airline to issue a ban on US government using their flights to transport refugee children as unaccompanied minors. Being last is not going over well in Democrat states like New York and California.

Gordon
Jun 21, 2018, 5:10 PM
I wonder if Pier F will also include the current location of gates 90 - 96 once that structure is removed?

casper
Jun 22, 2018, 6:39 AM
Honestly, I think the remote stand thing is much more common (and accepted) in Asia and Europe than in North America. Besides YVR, is there a major airport in the US or Canada that has remote stand operations?

There are probably others, the only one I have ever been on with a jet is JFK.

nname
Jun 22, 2018, 7:42 AM
I find it funny that it seems like Flair never told YVR they are no longer running the original YLW-YVR-YEG-YYZ route. It's still in the YVR system with gate assigned :D

Gate 26
A=> 11:45 F8415 734 Edmonton
=>D 12:30 F8416 734 Edmonton
A=> 18:55 WS135 73W Calgary
=>D 20:00 WS138 73W Calgary

Gate 27
A=> 07:35 F8135 734 Edmonton
=>D 08:20 F8136 734 Calgary
A=> 09:30 F8510 734 Calgary
=>D 10:15 F8510 734 Winnipeg
A=> 11:02 F8311 734 Toronto
=>D 11:50 F8311 734 Kelowna
A=> 14:11 F8310 734 Kelowna
=>D 15:00 F8310 734 Toronto
A=> 16:55 F8511 734 Winnipeg
=>D 17:55 F8134 734 Edmonton
A=> 18:20 F8137 734 Calgary
=>D 19:05 F8138 734 Edmonton

Earlier today I also saw flight from YXS got assigned gate B27 :D

Johnny Aussie
Jun 24, 2018, 3:39 AM
AeroMexico is adding a third daily flight on Saturdays between December 15th and March 2nd.

Guess they’re doing okay here... ;)

It's only one extra flight per week but that certainly indicates they must be happy with the route. 15 flights per week on AM is impressive along with daily AC, daily WS and 4 weekly InterJet....

The extra flight will be the only AM operating in daylight during the winter... those long dark winter nights :P

Gordon
Jun 25, 2018, 11:04 PM
Does anyone know if the new remote stands are in use yet, or is D59 still the temporary location from last year?

zahav
Jun 26, 2018, 6:51 AM
Yes the remote stands are in use

Gordon
Jun 27, 2018, 4:08 PM
There seems to be available gates at the time ((E90 or 91) yvr must be testing the E85 remote stand. Would a remote stand be better that the temporary structure that is E90-96?

Jebby
Jun 27, 2018, 11:45 PM
You can still snag a ride out of YVR on 744s on BA (winter), LH (year-round) or QF (seasonal winter / summer). QF's are being retired in a couple of years but I don't think BA or LH have a definite time frame for a phase out yet.

LH's 744s will all be phased out by 2025 and replace with their 748s and upcoming 779s. BA will apparently phase theirs out one year earlier.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 28, 2018, 1:18 AM
LH's 744s will all be phased out by 2025 and replace with their 748s and upcoming 779s. BA will apparently phase theirs out one year earlier.

Think the 779 would be a great fit for YVR with AC now on the route.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 30, 2018, 12:07 AM
Nothing new but YVR posted this video about the upcoming expansion projects..

And yes bussing operations will exist!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YeeCunkIaco

Anybody worried about YVR “resting on their laurels” don’t need to.

These 75 projects will keep YVR very competitive not just within Canada but on the West Coast too!

osirisboy
Jun 30, 2018, 1:20 AM
Remote stands are friggin ridiculous.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 30, 2018, 2:21 AM
Remote stands are friggin ridiculous.

You'll probably survive in the unlikely event you actually have to use one.

In YVR's case I think we are talking just a few flights per day will have to use them. I know some guys on here are monitoring their use... any idea how many flights per day are actually using remote stands? Maybe 4-5 per day?

Like I mentioned in a previous post.... had to do this in BKK a couple of weeks ago.... it was honestly no big deal. I actually loved being on ground level boarding the plane... made for some good pics. Nobody seemed to care using phones on the tarmac.

Some of my mates here have been on flights out of BKK that used remote stands a majority of the time. So again, this is not the norm at YVR but yeah a few flights will use them.

nname
Jun 30, 2018, 2:42 AM
In YVR's case I think we are talking just a few flights per day will have to use them. I know some guys on here are monitoring their use... any idea how many flights per day are actually using remote stands? Maybe 4-5 per day?

Only 2.
JL to/from NRT
UA to/from LAX (afternoon flight)

osirisboy
Jun 30, 2018, 4:19 AM
You'll probably survive in the unlikely event you actually have to use one.

Like I mentioned in a previous post.... had to do this in BKK a couple of weeks ago.... it was honestly no big deal. I actually loved being on ground level boarding the plane... made for some good pics. Nobody seemed to care using phones on the tarmac.

Some of my mates here have been on flights out of BKK that used remote stands a majority of the time. So again, this is not the norm at YVR but yeah a few flights will use them.

I guess I'm picturing standing outside in line waiting to board during freezing rain blowing wind etc. And I know basically all the big fancy "world class" airports have them but to me the idea of them comes off as amateur

dharper
Jun 30, 2018, 4:28 AM
When did JL to/from NRT start using the remote stands? I took that flight last month, and it was from a normal gate.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 30, 2018, 4:31 AM
I guess I'm picturing standing outside in line waiting to board during freezing rain blowing wind etc. And I know basically all the big fancy "world class" airports have them but to me the idea of them comes off as amateur

I hear your complaints but as pointed out above only two flights used remote stands today. So it’s highly unlikely you will have to. The buses they use are heated and the air stairs are covered. Unlikely you will have to stand outside in a line waiting board. You maybe will have to take 8 steps from the door of the bus to the bottom of the covered air stairs. They will keep you on the bus until the previous bus’s passengers have boarded.

If I were you don’t travel to any small Canadian airports where they don’t have any aerobridges! You will have to walk and wait a lot longer than being bussed to a remote stand at YVR.

SgtNeonPanda
Jun 30, 2018, 5:04 AM
I hear your complaints but as pointed out above only two flights used remote stands today. So it’s highly unlikely you will have to. The buses they use are heated and the air stairs are covered. Unlikely you will have to stand outside in a line waiting board. You maybe will have to take 8 steps from the door of the bus to the bottom of the covered air stairs. They will keep you on the bus until the previous bus’s passengers have boarded.

If I were you don’t travel to any small Canadian airports where they don’t have any aerobridges! You will have to walk and wait a lot longer than being bussed to a remote stand at YVR.
What is gate utilization like outside of the summer peak? I'd imagine they wouldn't need to use remote stands during the rainy season very often except maybe at Christmas.

nname
Jun 30, 2018, 5:21 AM

As far as I know, YVR don't get freezing rain at noon time during summer months. That would probably the only time the remote stand will be used, as all other times there are still a lot of gates available.

When did JL to/from NRT start using the remote stands? I took that flight last month, and it was from a normal gate.

Around the first week of June.

What is gate utilization like outside of the summer peak? I'd imagine they wouldn't need to use remote stands during the rainy season very often except maybe at Christmas.

For today and tonight

Noon departure bank:
All gates are used including E93. JL flight cannot fit to any gate; the UA flight may fit in between DL and WS flight in E81, but is very tight.

Late night departure bank:
All gates from D50 to D76 are used by international departures. However, there is still the option to open D77, D78 as the US area is closed at night.

Overnight plane parking:
The international gates from D49 to D75 is completely empty. The US gates from E76 to E91, and E94 are all parked with a plane for early morning departure next day.

Eary morning departure bank:
US gates from E73 are all used, international gates only about 40% usage.

Don't have info on winter months, but throughout the day it should be less busy than this.

teriyaki
Jun 30, 2018, 6:32 AM

Also don't fly on ant flights departing from YVR South terminal.

I personally love boarding from bus gates. Used a bus gate at KEF in Iceland, nice last few breaths of fresh air before being stuffed into a metal tube for hours with recycled air.

GlassCity
Jun 30, 2018, 8:56 PM
Is it still leading to this?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/--OFWkGzlyQM/UPRPx-vODpI/AAAAAAAAAjg/dhEReGadJWU/s640/blogger-image--439247701.jpg
http://aboutairportplanning.blogspot.com/2013/01/

Or is there a different updated plan now?

CloudInspector
Jul 1, 2018, 10:34 PM
Is it still leading to this?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/--OFWkGzlyQM/UPRPx-vODpI/AAAAAAAAAjg/dhEReGadJWU/s640/blogger-image--439247701.jpg
http://aboutairportplanning.blogspot.com/2013/01/

Or is there a different updated plan now?

They decided on extending piers D and E and adding an F pier:

https://goo.gl/images/AqKS6W

Does anybody know what the construction immediately east of the north AC hangar is?

jollyburger
Jul 2, 2018, 12:38 AM
There are upcoming lane closures on Miller Road starting on June 25, 2018. Work will occur intermittently for approximately three weeks and will only take place during the day. Access will be maintained with one lane kept open at all times in both directions during work hours. At the end of each shift, all lanes will be re-opened.

This work is part of a BC Hydro utilities relocation project and is in preparation for construction of McArthurGlen Designer Outlet Centre Phase II.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/construction/construction-updates/miller-road-construction

VancouverOfTheFuture
Jul 2, 2018, 2:00 AM
what i would like to know is, what has happened to the N/S Taxiway? it was planned in 2007 and seems to have mostly gone the way of the dodo bird recently.

trofirhen
Jul 2, 2018, 2:13 AM
what i would like to know is, what has happened to the N/S Taxiway? it was planned in 2007 and seems to have mostly gone the way of the dodo bird recently.

Yes, that had occurred to me, too. I'd like to know the per centage of time gained with aircraft movements were the taxiway operational. The aircaft x number / time required,
compared to the actual present configuration might be interesting if a hypothesis could be done.

VancouverOfTheFuture
Jul 2, 2018, 3:30 AM
Yes, that had occurred to me, too. I'd like to know the per centage of time gained with aircraft movements were the taxiway operational. The aircaft x number / time required,
compared to the actual present configuration might be interesting if a hypothesis could be done.

well in the 2007 report i remember reading it saves an average of 30mins of taxing for plans that need to taxi around the airport. i cant remember where the report is. but it had more details in it as well. it also mentioned tonnage of fuel saved and i believe CO2 emissions as well.

jollyburger
Jul 2, 2018, 4:49 AM

It's on the YVR 2037 website published last year:

Within the next 10 years, we will build the North-South Taxiway (NST)—an above-grade taxiway where planes will taxi over Grant McConnachie Way and the Canada Line. On the horizon since our 2027 Master Plan, this resulted in constructing the Canada Line at ground level at Templeton and Sea Island stations. Building the NST provides a direct link between the runway ends and the terminal, enabling a more balanced use of the parallel runways and an airfield that is more efficient. It also means shorter taxiing distances for aircraft, thereby reducing GHG’s, cost and taxiing time for passengers and airlines.

https://www.yvr2037.ca/airside-airspace

Johnny Aussie
Jul 3, 2018, 12:19 AM
Single runway ops here in MEL this morning due to high winds.

AC 37 from YVR had to do a few loops...

Final clocked flying time 16h57m :yuck:

AC 37 got into a bit of a “chase the plane” with three inbound QF flights from SYD (there were 8 QF flights in the air just from SYD at one point earlier) among others. Anyway flew right over my head running along the Yarra this morning. Love seeing AC here :) and having YVR and MEL connected year-round now.

s211
Jul 3, 2018, 12:26 AM
Late Sunday evening yesterday was bedlam in the domestic terminal. I arrived between 9 and 10 PM and it seemed like the whole terminal was going gangbusters. I had no idea it'd be that busy. Lots of red-eye flights, I guess?

So busy that my takeoff from another airport was put on a 10-15 minute hold because of congestion at YVR.

CloudInspector
Jul 3, 2018, 2:16 AM
Late Sunday evening yesterday was bedlam in the domestic terminal. I arrived between 9 and 10 PM and it seemed like the whole terminal was going gangbusters. I had no idea it'd be that busy. Lots of red-eye flights, I guess?

So busy that my takeoff from another airport was put on a 10-15 minute hold because of congestion at YVR.

As far as redeyes go, I believe WestJet alone has 2 to YYZ, 1 to YUL, 1 to YHM and 1 to YHZ (some nights) along with the late night YYC and YEG flights. Gets pretty crowded around the A/B pier on summer nights!

s211
Jul 3, 2018, 3:06 AM
As far as redeyes go, I believe WestJet alone has 2 to YYZ, 1 to YUL, 1 to YHM and 1 to YHZ (some nights) along with the late night YYC and YEG flights. Gets pretty crowded around the A/B pier on summer nights!

I was in the C pier and it was definitely packed.

mezzanine
Jul 3, 2018, 5:11 AM
Yeah, not sure if this is a hiccup or how the rest of summer will be..

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhH5xC6UYAQeQv9.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhH5xC6UYAIGnFi.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhH5xC5UYAAjOLy.jpg

Chris Wren on Twitter (https://twitter.com/chriswrenegade/status/1013866019801059329/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1013866019801059329&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fglobalnews.ca%2Fnews%2F4308569%2Fyvr-delays%2F)

Hourglass
Jul 3, 2018, 6:59 AM
That looks brutal. When was this taken?

Flew out on Canada Day on CX’s afternoon flight to Hong Kong. Quite a few people but the lines through security weren’t bad at all. And looking down at passport control, the queues seemed pretty short.

nname
Jul 3, 2018, 8:41 AM
That looks brutal. When was this taken?

That was what I saw when I arrive at YVR near noon earlier this year. It wasn't as bad as it looks though... The line was constantly moving, so it was about 5-10min for me to reach the kiosks? And then another 5-10min to reach the point where I reach a custom officer to bypass the rest of the line with a Canadian passport. The entire process was about 20min.

Waiting time for foreign passport may be quit a lot longer since Canadian passport holder gets priority and bypass in a few places.

SpongeG
Jul 3, 2018, 8:54 PM
I go to the airport a lot and the evenings are always busy, especially international cause that seems the prime time for overseas departures.

For domestic I generally fly out on a saturday at 3 pm, if i check in by 2 pm i can just make it to the gate maybe enough time to grab a drink once past security. That is the big hold up, sometimes you can clear it in 5 minutes other times 20 minutes. At that time of day they usually only have 2 screenings open on the C gates side. It's only later in the afternoon that they start to open more screeners.

thenoflyzone
Jul 4, 2018, 12:40 AM
Single runway ops here in MEL this morning due to high winds.

MEL needs those parallel runways already.

Johnny Aussie
Jul 4, 2018, 2:40 AM
May Stats

http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/documents/facts-sheets/2018/05-may/traffic-update-may-2018-website.pdf?la=en

Highlights:

Overall up 7.9% up 158,425
Domestic up 8.1% up 79,402
Int’l up 7.8% up 79,023

Intl breakdown

Transborder up 2.5%
Asia Pacific up 10.8%
Europe up 13.6%
Misc up 25.1%

YTD
Overall up 8.8% and up 812,000 already!
Domestic up 7.0% and up 311,000
International up 10.6% and up 501,000

Excellent cargo result too up 18% and 11.0% YTD

osirisboy
Jul 4, 2018, 3:29 AM
Weird to see Europe growth so high and transborder relatively low

Johnny Aussie
Jul 4, 2018, 4:36 AM
Weird to see Europe growth so high and transborder relatively low

Yes. Europe even grew faster than Asia Pacific but of course “Misc” still the fastest growing.

The thing about transborder is the base line is huge now at well over half a million pax. Also a lot of the transborder additions occurred last year so now a full year has gone past. Still an increase of 13,000 pax from last year.

Klazu
Jul 4, 2018, 1:51 PM
Yeah, not sure if this is a hiccup or how the rest of summer will be..

I heard on radio that over the long weekend lineups to customs had been all the way to the second floor and it had taken some people 90 minutes to clear customs. Yeah... They really need to move forward with expansion plans before it's goibg to be a constant gong show. YVR will lose "the best airport in Nort America" very quickly if not acting quickly...

SpongeG
Jul 4, 2018, 8:32 PM
A lot of Canadians are refusing to go to the states while they have that president, I don't know how much that would play into it

Gordon
Jul 5, 2018, 2:40 AM
The Global News article about the congestion at the airport quote 1 passenger saying it took him 90 minutes to get through the airport including baggage claim
YVR says it expects to have 90,000 passengers / day through the airport this Summer.

jollyburger
Jul 5, 2018, 4:35 AM
A lot of Canadians are refusing to go to the states while they have that president, I don't know how much that would play into it

Like most things people are all talk but zero action.

officedweller
Jul 5, 2018, 7:27 PM
... another reason to take the red eye flights.

Johnny Aussie
Jul 5, 2018, 8:36 PM
YVR-YYZ on AC in the top 10 revenue generating routes in the world.

https://www.oag.com/blog/billion-dollar-route?utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=64201665&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9RmLDgdL15y19LFvmmp4l_pcutwhuH3pxpQdp6QLyTx80rC6_F1AT623748qiesRUIcxjkj1ZpfTspgsuemyEvgXqekA&_hsmi=64201665

Converted to USD which would partially explain the lower $/hour compared to SFO-EWR and LAX-JFK

MEL-SYD on QF right up at #2

trofirhen
Jul 9, 2018, 9:24 PM
YVR-YYZ on AC in the top 10 revenue generating routes in the world.

https://www.oag.com/blog/billion-dollar-route?utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=64201665&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9RmLDgdL15y19LFvmmp4l_pcutwhuH3pxpQdp6QLyTx80rC6_F1AT623748qiesRUIcxjkj1ZpfTspgsuemyEvgXqekA&_hsmi=64201665

Converted to USD which would partially explain the lower $/hour compared to SFO-EWR and LAX-JFK

MEL-SYD on QF right up at #2

The YYZ-YVR city pair making it into the top ten is amazing. As a kid, there were perhaps five nonstops a day maximum.
How many flights per day between YYZ and YVR, both on AC an WS, now? Ho far we have come !! Thank you for this information.

nname
Jul 10, 2018, 12:26 AM
DailyHive have a piece about YVR's remote stand operation:

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-international-airport-yvr-remote-stands-2018

The article states there are 4 flights that uses the remote stand, but so far I've only seen 3... JL (NRT), UA (LAX) regularly, and occasionally TS with no gate assigned for arrival.

Tomorrow will be interesting though, due to IRROP caused by Typhoon Maria. Tororrow's CI departure to TPE will be delayed 6hr to 9:20am in the morning while arrival will be 6hr early at 1:00pm (taking additional gate during the peak hours). Regular BR flight is currently 'cancelled' and the new time for the replacement flight (BR9D and BR10D) had not been announced... Seems like the BR plane will move to remote parking area after tonight's arrival, and if BR9D is to depart in early afternoon, it will most likely use the remote stand (and probably not D59 if the departure time is close enough to the JL flight?)

jollyburger
Jul 11, 2018, 9:08 PM
Foundation for MacArthur Glen phase 2 getting poured

osirisboy
Jul 11, 2018, 9:29 PM
Phase one of phase two haha

SpongeG
Jul 12, 2018, 5:42 AM
YVR's BorderXpress kiosks: Installed for first time in Europe

July 10, 2018 · The YVR Blog team

http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/blog/2018/kpmg-4.jpg?h=768&w=1024&la=en&hash=83130C38CFABBD899E17900F45989E317CEDCDDD

Some exciting news for YVR today – our very own Innovative Travel Solutions (ITS) celebrated the installation of 74 BorderXpress kiosks at Pafos International Airport and Larnaka International Airport in Cyprus. This marks a major milestone for not only ITS but also the whole industry as this marks the first implementation of permanent kiosks for Entry and Exit border control in all of Europe.

BorderXpress uses self-service biometric-enabled kiosks to expedite the border clearance process without compromising security. This home-grown technology has proven success in 39 other airport and seaport locations across North America and the Caribbean and allow ports to increase passenger traffic and reduce wait times – all without having to add additional space or staffing resources. BorderXpress kiosks provide a modern and efficient experience, and are a smart choice for airports and governments as they help to reduce overall operating costs and allow airports to expand passenger traffic without having to add additional space or staffing resources. The kiosks also free up border security officers to focus more closely on enforcement and intelligence efforts.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/blog/2018/its-cypress-launch

lubicon
Jul 12, 2018, 4:33 PM
The YYZ-YVR city pair making it into the top ten is amazing. As a kid, there were perhaps five nonstops a day maximum.
How many flights per day between YYZ and YVR, both on AC an WS, now? Ho far we have come !! Thank you for this information.

Random sampling for next week (Wednesday) shows 28 flights - 17 on AC and 11 on WS.

Johnny Aussie
Jul 12, 2018, 5:46 PM
Random sampling for next week (Wednesday) shows 28 flights - 17 on AC and 11 on WS.

Wow. That’s amazing! How did you find this info? Seems way too hard everytime I try and look for this type of stuff.

Somebody also mentioned before there were flights on other airlines too like Sunwing or Transwing. Also doesn’t Flare (the old NewLeaf Airlines) also fly to Toronto? Must be over 30 flights a day!!

Zmonkey
Jul 13, 2018, 7:12 PM

A lot of people who connect in the USA are now connecting in other places in Europe as well.

Zmonkey
Jul 13, 2018, 7:12 PM

Tons of people connect in Calgary now days too via West jet.

Zmonkey
Jul 13, 2018, 7:13 PM
Wow. That’s amazing! How did you find this info? Seems way too hard everytime I try and look for this type of stuff.

Somebody also mentioned before there were flights on other airlines too like Sunwing or Transwing. Also doesn’t Flare (the old NewLeaf Airlines) also fly to Toronto? Must be over 30 flights a day!!

Out of Toronto, Flair just flies to Edmonton.

Hamilton, it flies to Abbotsford.

Johnny Aussie
Jul 13, 2018, 9:24 PM
Twitter user @Towerden posted this photo from the YVR Tower.

He calls it “Full House” you’ll see why!

https://mobile.twitter.com/towerden/status/1017862387578200064

nname
Jul 13, 2018, 9:44 PM
Out of Toronto, Flair just flies to Edmonton.

Hamilton, it flies to Abbotsford.

Flair flies one-stop Vancouver-Edmonton-Toronto

libtard
Jul 14, 2018, 12:10 AM
YVR had a power outage Wednesday night