PDA

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 [143] 144

trofirhen
Apr 5, 2019, 5:01 AM
International numbers don’t mean anything when SEA overall pax blow YVR out of the water.

That is true, but the US domestic market has a whole batch of destinations - with higher frequencies - than YVR.
And it's all relative, too. Take YYZ. Total pax numbers VERY close to SEA, but OVER half of that is transborder or overseas.
YYZ blows SEA out of the water in that instance. SEA is mostly domestic (and - get this - ) their busiest foreign destination is none other than YVR. Yes.
And YYZ is one of the most connected airports in the world, right up there with AMS, ORD, SIN ..... fifth in the world according to the article linked.
https://www.travelctm.com/resources/insights_blog/the-worlds-top-25-most-connected-airports-2/

libtard
Apr 5, 2019, 6:03 AM
An airport is an airport, a plane is a plane, people are people. Why all this emphasis on international traffic? YVR’s skewed numbers with low overall pax and high international make it look like some boutique airport

Johnny Aussie
Apr 5, 2019, 8:11 AM
An airport is an airport, a plane is a plane, people are people. Why all this emphasis on international traffic? YVR’s skewed numbers with low overall pax and high international make it look like some boutique airport

We are all entitled to our opinions. Anything wrong with being a boutique airport?

I’d still prefer to be connected globally than have a direct flight available to say Moose Jaw, Brandon or Thunder Bay.

A country the size of Canada could never ever see a domestic market like any US airport.

TBH I could care less about SEA’s Numbers. Still one of my fave US cities.
Just some prick from Montreal obsessed with belittling YVR’s stature.
Just sticking up for the little guy!

twoNeurons
Apr 5, 2019, 2:52 PM
I wonder if the upcoming SEA-SIN service on SQ, a star alliance carrier, will mean Aeroplan will reduce the MPM between YVR and SIN city pairs.

twoNeurons
Apr 9, 2019, 10:33 PM
Anyone know AC's plan for the 737MAX8?

I'm flyiing the YVR-YUL redeye route in July and wondering what plane I'll be flying on. It WAS slotted to be a 737Max8.

trofirhen
Apr 9, 2019, 10:37 PM
What do you mean by "boutique airport," please?

twoNeurons
Apr 10, 2019, 7:32 PM

International passengers can be a sign that money/assets/investments are coming IN to the country from other places.

For better or for worse, capitalism is kind of based on taking as money from other areas until a point at which those other areas look for ways to become more competitive... and are forced to become more efficient.

Look at the recent recycling debacle of China not taking our recycling any longer. We did it because it was more efficient to send it away than deal with it ourselves. China is at a point where they don't need to rely on said income and it was a public relations mess, so now industries will hopefully shift to add automation to recycling plants, looking for efficient ways to handle recycling locally... making it cheaper to handle it here than ship it away.

Anyhow, the more international traffic you have can be an indication that you have more money earned elsewhere but spent here. While that's somewhat true with domestic travel, in that case, the overall national picture doesn't usually change as dramatically.

A person from Toronto spending money in Vancouver is not spending $100 in Toronto... so roughly Canada NET 0. A person from Zurich spending $100 in Vancouver is not spending $100 in Switzerland... Canada NET $100, Earth NET 0.

There's obviously more to it than that... but from an economic perspective that's more or less it.

Additionally, the more international routes you have, the more exposure to the global community you have. An international startup company trying to break into in Canada located in Tel Aviv may consider a North American office in Vancouver if there are a few direct flights.

Since Vancouver, unlike Seattle, doesn't have much in the way of industry other than real estate and tourism, we more heavily depend on other international companies setting up offices here. Direct international flights open up Vancouver to opportunities.

Black Box
Apr 12, 2019, 6:39 PM
I do think international numbers mean something, Vancouver most definitely excels. That being said, in the long run, the gap will close, but Vancouver will most likely keep an edge. Canada’s only big West Coast city and a resort economy burn bright for the city. The Port of Seattle did it with cruise ships and they are determined to do it with the airport. We can all celebrate the success of what excites us most about our airports and economies.

https://jetlines.ca/2019/04/jetlines-announces-anticipated-launch-timing/

Jetlines now expecting to launch 17 December

What a great strategy to launch days before the Xmas rush. What could possibly go wrong? (Flair ring any bells?)
Followed by traditionally one of the weakest domestic travel periods in the year.

Wow

I crunched the actual SEA intl numbers.. those flights are adding about 510,000 seats. Only 7.6 million to go to catch up to YVR!:haha:

SpongeG
Apr 12, 2019, 10:00 PM
Change is in the Air at YVR: April Construction Update
March 26, 2019 · The YVR Blog team
YVR Stories

http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/images/construction/855_yvr_construction-workers_2018.jpg?h=400&w=600&la=en&hash=0F9624056DE9F767EE32CB785CDF8298155A47D3

There are several key projects currently taking place that will enhance the airport experience. This includes our biggest sustainability projects to date, new parking options, terminal expansions and much more.

Terminal

There will be various improvements to a section of Pier B, in the domestic terminal. As part of this work, there will be hoarding and phased closures of two passenger hold rooms. Work is anticipated to be complete by June 2019.
As part of the International Pier D expansion project, steel work continues. This will take place airside and may include noisy work. Given that there is 24-hour operations in this part of the terminal, we understand that this could potentially be disruptive for those with flights at nearby gates. If you are looking for somewhere quiet, you can find seating in the creek area, near the food court.
There may be intermittent noise at U.S. check-in, U.S. pre-board screening area as well as U.S. Customs during daytime hours. This work is being done to improve our processes for transfer passengers.
In and Around Sea Island

Various work is continuing in the old Value Lot (adjacent to the Parkade) for the construction of a new six-storey parking lot and Central Utilities Building. A new toll plaza is now open and is the first permanent structure of the new Parkade. Please follow all directional signage in the area. There are also a number of related projects near by the site including:

http://www.yvr.ca/en/blog/2019/change-is-in-the-air-at-yvr-april-construction-update?fbclid=IwAR23fJZTdB8fj2We-n_4gAZVK63ARwHPinlQzkbEHhdbo-TRqxJtneJDLdU

LeftCoaster
Apr 13, 2019, 12:31 AM
I do think international numbers mean something, Vancouver most definitely excels. That being said, in the long run, the gap will close, but Vancouver will most likely keep an edge. Canada’s only big West Coast city and a resort economy burn bright for the city. The Port of Seattle did it with cruise ships and they are determined to do it with the airport. We can all celebrate the success of what excites us most about our airports and economies.

Both airports will definitely continue to grow and likely grow faster than average, and I hope SEA is a major hub in the years to come, but I want SIN from you guys. Still bitter AF over here about that one.

Black Box
Apr 13, 2019, 3:58 AM
Seattle is well on its way to hub status, but I’m not sure how diverse the spokes will be. I’m sure Vancouver will get a Singapore flight soon enough. On another weird airport note, Seattle has the second largest parking garage in the world at Sea-Tac and many Seattleites left the region for spring break resulting in 13,000 vehicles taking each spot. Meaning, full. Eh gads, we love driving! Cheers y’all!

Both airports will definitely continue to grow and likely grow faster than average, and I hope SEA is a major hub in the years to come, but I want SIN from you guys. Still bitter AF over here about that one.

stiffdeadman
Apr 13, 2019, 4:33 AM
Seattle is well on its way to hub status, but I’m not sure how diverse the spokes will be. I’m sure Vancouver will get a Singapore flight soon enough. On another weird airport note, Seattle has the second largest parking garage in the world at Sea-Tac and many Seattleites left the region for spring break resulting in 13,000 vehicles taking each spot. Meaning, full. Eh gads, we love driving! Cheers y’all!

i love their parking garage. drive right in, zip upto level 8, park near one of the doors and your in the terminal in only a few minutes.

Johnny Aussie
Apr 13, 2019, 4:51 AM

I agree the gap will shrink but to put the numbers into perspective 7.6 million passengers would require 37 daily flights on aircraft of 280 seats. That’s also 1.6 million more than the entire annual international pax count of Brisbane... a major Australian port of entry.
Not trying to beat this to death but was only highlighting the numbers because some loser said Seattle Intl numbers would overtake YVR’s “soon.”
Clearly that’s not going to happen. Even if 25 daily flights were added in the next 5 years would still fall short. This would be on top of the new CX, JL, SQ and DL flights. And of course that's assuming YVR never adds another international flight.

thenoflyzone
Apr 13, 2019, 11:39 AM
Not trying to beat this to death but was only highlighting the numbers because some loser said Seattle Intl numbers would overtake YVR’s “soon.”

You kind of are. No one besides you is calculating SEA monthly stats and going through airline seat maps just to prove a point no one was making. #insane.

And for the second time (in case it wasn't clear the first time), no one said that SEA will overtake YVR soon, you moron. Why dont you scroll back and read what it is I "actually" said, before accusing me of non sense.

And Brisbane, really? More useless comparisons. I think the sun down under is getting to your head.

Seattle is well on its way to hub status, but I’m not sure how diverse the spokes will be.

well on it's way? DL carried 11 million passengers at SEA in 2018, flies to 59 destinations on 280 flights a day. That's the definition of a hub.

https://news.delta.com/corporate-stats-and-facts

https://news.delta.com/seattle-fact-sheet

SFUVancouver
Apr 13, 2019, 7:37 PM
The penny just dropped for me how large is the investment in YVR upgrades: $7B! That's basically the full Broadway Subway to UBC.

Johnny Aussie
Apr 14, 2019, 2:00 AM
The penny just dropped for me how large is the investment in YVR upgrades: $7B! That's basically the full Broadway Subway to UBC.

Much needed investment. YVR is being proactive in staying ahead of the curve. Building for the future before capacity restricts free movement.

We need some of that in MEL.... at the breaking point before even the slightest attempt at expansion occurs. Then of course years away until anything is built.

The stench in this thread sometimes...

Hourglass
Apr 14, 2019, 3:38 PM
Much needed investment. YVR is being proactive in staying ahead of the curve. Building for the future before capacity restricts free movement.

We need some of that in MEL.... at the breaking point before even the slightest attempt at expansion occurs. Then of course years away until anything is built.

The stench in this thread sometimes...

Yes, my last flight from MEL-HKG on CX, the holding area was so crowded that it was difficult to move. Not a pleasant experience at all.

YVR is doing a good job planning ahead. Maybe not the long-term planning horizon of SIN, but still impressive.

casper
Apr 14, 2019, 5:16 PM

Even more impressive when you consider YVR has been quite reserved and conservative when it comes to capital expansion.

Black Box
Apr 15, 2019, 4:45 AM
I think we both are in agreement, Vancouver will have the edge, Seattle will close some gaps.

I agree the gap will shrink but to put the numbers into perspective 7.6 million passengers would require 37 daily flights on aircraft of 280 seats. That’s also 1.6 million more than the entire annual international pax count of Brisbane... a major Australian port of entry.
Clearly that’s not going to happen. Even if 25 daily flights were added in the next 5 years would still fall short. This would be on top of the new CX, JL, SQ and DL flights. And of course that's assuming YVR never adds another international flight.

twoNeurons
Apr 15, 2019, 9:39 PM

If we had SIN on SQ, then yes.

trofirhen
Apr 16, 2019, 4:32 AM

May I ask a question? I agree with you about SEA-TAC becoming a major hub (it should, given the financial clout of Seattle), and SQ .... but I don't understand about AF.
Do you not like having AF (Air France) at YVR? If I'm off base, please correct me. Thank you.

Denscity
Apr 16, 2019, 4:36 AM
He meant "as fu@$" not Air France.

Hourglass
Apr 16, 2019, 5:03 AM
The challenge with SIN right now is that there are a ton of 1-stop options, which work perfectly well for YVR's traffic mix (more leisure, VFR and students). Check Google Flights, and you'll see flights from CX, AC/OZ, PR(!), UA, MU, BR, CI and a dozen other choices.

SEA has a higher volume of business traffic and a nonstop makes sense. The front of the plane is where money is made.

I believe SIN will be a non-stop destination at some point, if not by SQ then as a codeshare with AC. Canada's business ties with Asia are steadily increasing (although it surprises me how US-centric Canadian businesses still are -- even after the US slapped punitive tariffs on Canadian steel, threatened us and called our prime minister nasty names. Wake up folks. Time to diversify and develop other markets... OK, rant over).

SpongeG
Apr 16, 2019, 5:03 AM
I keep seeing this ad today. Is it new for them?

https://tpc.googlesyndication.com/pagead/imgad?id=CICAgKDbs8aswgEQARgBMghVRII41Oq6aw

zahav
Apr 16, 2019, 6:17 AM
The route is not new, but maybe additional frequency? I think it was 10x weekly last summer too though

nname
Apr 16, 2019, 6:50 AM
The route is not new, but maybe additional frequency? I think it was 10x weekly last summer too though

That was a couple of years ago, but it was soon cut back to 7x weekly. Probably due to LF not as good as expected:

.. 7x weekly ..
2018/12 90.6
2018/11 88.4
2018/10 82.8
2018/09 91.8
2018/08 95.5
2018/07 92.6
2018/06 90.7
2018/05 83.4
2018/04 89.7
2018/03 93.7
2018/02 89.5
2018/01 88.1

.. 10x weekly ..
2017/12 78.8
2017/11 82.7
2017/10 71.2
2017/09 77.9
2017/08 85.1
2017/07 71.6
2017/06 78.7
2017/05 76.7
2017/04 78.5
2017/03 75.3
2017/02 79.0
2017/01 85.5

nname
Apr 16, 2019, 10:41 AM
Seems like Flair updated their Summer and Fall schedule..

Summer until Sept 2

F8 138 YVR-YEG 738 D
F8 302 YVR-YYC-YYZ 738 x2
F8 224 YVR-YYZ 738 D

Fall from Sept 3

F8 138 YVR-YEG 734 x236
F8 101 YVR-YEG-YYZ 738 D
F8 224 YVR-YYZ 738 x2

Flight 257 (YYC) and 431 (YWG) closed for booking. Seems like they never remove flight from schedule..

They may not finish update all the schedule yet so things may change.

Note: during summer, F8 101 operates as YEG-YYZ-YHZ

Johnny Aussie
Apr 16, 2019, 8:27 PM
Seems like Flair updated their Summer and Fall schedule..

Summer until Sept 2

F8 138 YVR-YEG 738 D
F8 224 YVR-YYZ 738 D

Fall from Sept 3

F8 138 YVR-YEG 734 x236
F8 101 YVR-YEG-YYZ 738 D
F8 224 YVR-YYZ 738 x2

Flight 257 (YYC) and 431 (YWG) closed for booking. Seems like they never remove flight from schedule..

They may not finish update all the schedule yet so things may change.

Note: during summer, F8 101 operates as YEG-YYZ-YHZ

A very conservative schedule.... the fact they are now going YVR-YYZ daily nonstop shows you cannot ignore the largest markets despite their attempts at “hubbing.” Their focus appears to have shifted to YYZ. They will most likely be more successful doing point to point to larger markets. In this case “more successful” means not bleeding millions.
So 20 flights per week from YVR and looks like YYC sees 22 flights per week and YEG 31 per week.

vancouverer
Apr 16, 2019, 11:22 PM
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47625549081_8d5e3246a5_m.jpg

LeftCoaster
Apr 17, 2019, 6:14 PM
May I ask a question? I agree with you about SEA-TAC becoming a major hub (it should, given the financial clout of Seattle), and SQ .... but I don't understand about AF.
Do you not like having AF (Air France) at YVR? If I'm off base, please correct me. Thank you.

Bitter as f*ck. Damn kids and their acronyms right?

I guess I'm kind of bitter towards Air France as well for not going daily yet. Enough demand for AC to launch but AF still slow playing it.

A very conservative schedule.... the fact they are now going YVR-YYZ daily nonstop shows you cannot ignore the largest markets despite their attempts at “hubbing.” Their focus appears to have shifted to YYZ. They will most likely be more successful doing point to point to larger markets. In this case “more successful” means not bleeding millions.
So 20 flights per week from YVR and looks like YYC sees 22 flights per week and YEG 31 per week.

Didn't they not even serve YYC initially, now it's their second biggest base?

Johnny Aussie
Apr 17, 2019, 6:47 PM
Didn't they not even serve YYC initially, now it's their second biggest base?

YYZ has actually become their biggest base this summer with up to 6 daily flights.

YYC will be their 3rd biggest base after YYZ and YEG. YVR being the end of the line still fares well with up to 3 daily flights. YYC about 3 daily and YEG up to 5 daily.

Using the term “hub” at even YYZ is a stretch and a half! :haha:

Don’t be bitter... have a nice Australian Pinot Noir and enjoy life.

Since SEA is still being talked about CX is increasing SEA from 4–>5 weekly flights during the winter. :runaway:

s211
Apr 17, 2019, 7:25 PM
Looking at Vancouver-Atlanta flights, and I find it odd that the only non-stop we have is a summer red-eye flight. Am I off base?

LeftCoaster
Apr 17, 2019, 8:28 PM
YYZ has actually become their biggest base this summer with up to 6 daily flights.

YYC will be their 3rd biggest base after YYZ and YEG. YVR being the end of the line still fares well with up to 3 daily flights. YYC about 3 daily and YEG up to 5 daily.

Using the term “hub” at even YYZ is a stretch and a half! :haha:

Still that's a big improvement from their original status of 'we're not even flying there'. YYC continues to be a domestic powerhouse.

And I never called it a hub, I was very conscious to call it a base ;)

LeftCoaster
Apr 17, 2019, 8:29 PM
Looking at Vancouver-Atlanta flights, and I find it odd that the only non-stop we have is a summer red-eye flight. Am I off base?

Yep, and that's relatively new too, there wasn't a flight at all other than once per week up until a year or two ago.

Johnny Aussie
Apr 17, 2019, 8:35 PM
Still that's a big improvement from their original status of 'we're not even flying there'. YYC continues to be a domestic powerhouse.

And I never called it a hub, I was very conscious to call it a base ;)

Agreed.... my points are standing that the larger markets cannot be ignored. Trying to build a base in the #5 market is an uphill battle at best with a startup.

I didn’t mean you... the term hub being used by the airline itself. 5 flights a day? Hub? Really?

Johnny Aussie
Apr 17, 2019, 8:37 PM

Flight has been extended year round.

Just use google flights.... a great tool to answer so many of these “do they or don’t they fly a route” queries.

nname
Apr 17, 2019, 8:47 PM
Agreed.... my points are standing that the larger markets cannot be ignored. Trying to build a base in the #5 market is an uphill battle at best with a startup.

I didn’t mean you... the term hub being used by the airline itself. 5 flights a day? Hub? Really?

Well, the original plan was to let people transfer at YEG. Now they seems to be moving to point-to-point, with direct flights between most of it's top 5 bases YYZ, YEG, YYC, YVR, YWG. In fact, transferring at YEG is now not even an option for most of the destination anymore.

Another thing I just noticed is that Google Flight is now able to display the availability of Flair's flight on the calendar... and the flight list finally got an actual logo for the airline. That's already much better than HX and MU :D

And the funny thing, in the fall, all 3 flights from YVR will end up in YYZ. One non-stop, one stop at YEG, and one at YYC.

Johnny Aussie
Apr 17, 2019, 8:56 PM
Well, the original plan was to let people transfer at YEG. Now they seems to be moving to point-to-point, with direct flights between most of it's top 5 bases YYZ, YEG, YYC, YVR, YWG. In fact, transferring at YEG is now not even an option for most of the destination anymore.

Yup. Again.... trying to build a hub without a decent O&D market base is very tough. Reliance on connections just becomes that much more important.

Hard to ignore YYZ, despite how competitive it will be... it’s just too huge.
Hard to ignore YYC, a much larger O&D market than YEG.
And YVR... the end of the line and second largest O&D domestic market in Canada.
YUL? Westjet really hasn’t done anything here I wouldn’t expect Flair to.

SpongeG
Apr 18, 2019, 5:37 AM
when you book a codeshare flight is it true that it will have less seating options if it's operated by the partner airline?

trofirhen
Apr 18, 2019, 9:10 AM
After several years of near-exponential growth, 2019 seems to be more of a "plateau" year at YVR, as may well be 2020 also. Not a problem, just a 'normalizatation.'
Speaking personally, and possibly for others too, I was hoping for one or two major new destinations in the last two years or so that never matrialized.
That "ground-breaking game changer" first mentioned three or so years ago may have been Delhi. It's a "game changer "no need to connect at DXB, which we don't have, anyway,
and a "ground-breaker" in that it will, or is, hopefully drawing in US pax as well. But I have to admit I'd love to see YVR become a five-continent airport, which I'm sure it will, down the road. Please excuse this soliloquy on YVR. :rolleyes:

Johnny Aussie
Apr 18, 2019, 11:59 PM
https://westernaviationnews.com/2019/04/18/canada-low-cost-carriers-compare-flair-swoop-summer-schedules/

Good summary of Flair ops this summer... sort of confirms what I was saying earlier moving from a “hub” approach to a more point to point approach. Less focus on YEG and now launching into two of the largest O&D domestic markets YVR-YYZ and YYC-YYZ. Let the bloodbath continue!

Flair admits they may have gone in too strong last summer. A change of tune where they tried to blame Westjet/Swoop for their dismal performance... perhaps just a bad business plan?

Johnny Aussie
Apr 25, 2019, 11:30 PM
Air Canada YVR/YXX adjustments due to the ongoing max grounding.

HNL and OGG to be operated by an Omni Air 767-200 until at least the end of July. Beginning June 2nd.

YVR-BOS seasonal daily service start has been delayed until 20 June.

AC is suspending the seasonal rouge YXX-YYZ for the entire summer season.

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2019-04-25-Air-Canada-Updates-Schedule-Through-July-in-Response-to-Ongoing-Grounding-of-Boeing-737-MAX-Aircraft

nname
Apr 26, 2019, 9:43 PM
Air Canada YVR/YXX adjustments due to the ongoing max grounding.

HNL and OGG to be operated by an Omni Air 767-200 until at least the end of July. Beginning June 2nd.

YVR-BOS seasonal daily service start has been delayed until 20 June.

AC is suspending the seasonal rouge YXX-YYZ for the entire summer season.

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2019-04-25-Air-Canada-Updates-Schedule-Through-July-in-Response-to-Ongoing-Grounding-of-Boeing-737-MAX-Aircraft

Meanwhile, plan to delay the start of second daily ANC to June 16 had been shelved. Morning flight to ANC will still start on June 1 once again. I guess forward booking must be very strong?

LeftCoaster
Apr 26, 2019, 9:52 PM
Unsurprising given the increase in cruise traffic expected this year. I think we will have a big transborder summer in 2019. Hopefully it will help cover the losses in international and keep overall growth positive.

SpongeG
Apr 28, 2019, 3:57 AM
April 27 Pier D project

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47718250371_51ec06a5bf_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2fGGvmF)2019-04-27_08-20-27 (https://flic.kr/p/2fGGvmF) by snub_you (https://www.flickr.com/photos/spongeg/), on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/32775042847_8afe0821a3_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/RWdEnD)2019-04-27_08-21-00 (https://flic.kr/p/RWdEnD) by snub_you (https://www.flickr.com/photos/spongeg/), on Flickr

trofirhen
Apr 30, 2019, 4:56 AM
Thanks for the pictures. It's exciting to watch, as YVR expands ever onward, moving away from a "branch office" type airport, into being an important hub in its own right.
In a couple of years, I hope that in addition to the snazzy new terminal wing that help make YVR the airport it is, we'll see a couple more foreign tails, and a few major new destinations.

SpongeG
Apr 30, 2019, 10:21 PM
I noticed too the other day, that the old Cell Phone waiting lot is paved now and looks a bit smaller. Quite a lot of work going on next to it too.

Gordon
Apr 30, 2019, 11:01 PM
That work in the old cll phone lot is probably connected to the Remote Stands project.

Reecemartin
May 2, 2019, 1:00 PM
Been making a lot of transit videos but here's the first one on an airport, enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69DjIOQaD-8

Rogie
May 3, 2019, 4:39 AM
Glass is being installed on the Pier D expansion

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/32818315237_8b33a7de56_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/S13rKk)
Pier D constuction glass (https://flic.kr/p/S13rKk) by Rogie 09 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/41837501@N06/), on Flickr

LeftCoaster
May 3, 2019, 10:11 PM
March stats are out

http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/documents/facts-sheets/2019/03-march/march-traffic-update.pdf?la=en

Feeling the effects of the MAX grounding in a big way.

Overall up 2.1% to 2,132,950
Domestic up 1.4% to 1,001,618
International up 2.7% to 1,131,332

International breakdown
Transborder up 3.2%
Asia Pacific up 2.6%
Europe down 1.7%
Misc intl up 3.5%

YTD overall up 3.0% to 6.0 million
YTD Domestic up 2.6% to 2.8 million
YTD Intl up 3.3% to 3.2 million

So all in all pretty poor numbers, but with a big asterisk in the max groundings. It will be interesting to see if other Canadian airports feel a similar slowdown or if this is just more slow growth from YVR.

SpongeG
May 3, 2019, 10:15 PM
Joe & The Juice from Denmark coming soon to post security in Domestic and International

Joe & The Juice is opening two locations at YVR
by Tammy Kwan on May 3rd, 2019

https://d2ciprw05cjhos.cloudfront.net/files/v3/styles/gs_large/public/images/19/05/screen_shot_2019-05-03_at_11.50.30_am.png?itok=08eDE84L
Joe & The Juice at San Francisco International Airport.
TAMMY KWAN

https://www.straight.com/food/1236231/joe-juice-opening-two-locations-yvr

SpongeG
May 3, 2019, 10:17 PM
Meet ‘Oscar,’ the garbage sorting bot using artificial intelligence at YVR

Alyse Kotyk / Richmond News
MAY 2, 2019

https://images.glaciermedia.ca/polopoly_fs/1.23810236.1556833054!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_804/oscar-yvr.jpg
Oscar, an artificial intelligence enabled waste bin helps visitors sort their trash at YVR. Photo: Submitted

Whether it’s in a mall, office or airport, standing in front of a collection of waste bins and trying to decipher which one an empty coffee cup should go in can end up being an oddly frustrating task.

Vancouver International Airport is hoping to eliminate any confusion, however, with the use of its new artificial intelligence enabled waste bin that helps visitors sort their trash.

https://www.nsnews.com/meet-oscar-the-garbage-sorting-bot-using-artificial-intelligence-at-yvr-1.23810226

SpongeG
May 3, 2019, 10:25 PM
you can glimpse some construction of the expansion in this video, and Richmond is really bulking up now, if you've watched videos like this for years its really a different look with all the new construction in Richmond in the background now

gVdDoRR6v4U

LeftCoaster
May 3, 2019, 10:45 PM
AC posted some domestic adjustments this week, shifting all Dash8-300 out for -400 planes. Some frequency cuts but an overall boost in seats of around 14%.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/284107/air-canada-s19-western-canada-service-adjustment/

Biggest gain appears to be Smithers and Nanaimo while Kamloops is showing a pretty substantial cut of around 14%.

Also, Air NZ will be bringing their dreamliner to Vancouver, though only on a one off basis at this point. It appears to be 777 like normal every other day.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/284173/air-new-zealand-schedules-one-time-787-vancouver-service-in-oct-2019/

Johnny Aussie
May 4, 2019, 3:28 AM
March stats are out

http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/documents/facts-sheets/2019/03-march/march-traffic-update.pdf?la=en

International breakdown
Transborder up 3.2%
Asia Pacific up 2.6%
Europe down 1.7%
Misc intl up 3.5%

So all in all pretty poor numbers, but with a big asterisk in the max groundings. It will be interesting to see if other Canadian airports feel a similar slowdown or if this is just more slow growth from YVR.

Mate! Compared to Australian airports we’d take that. Our big 3 all down at least 2-3% in March. Some other airports down significantly.

I think we were expecting YVR’s growth to slow this year compared to the huge gains garnered in recent years.

Hourglass
May 4, 2019, 9:40 AM
March stats are out

International breakdown
Transborder up 3.2%
Asia Pacific up 2.6%
Europe down 1.7%
Misc intl up 3.5%

I wonder whether there’s an error in the domestic numbers. What are the chances that domestic scheduled traffic is EXACTLY the same for March 2018 and 2019 at 980,722 passengers?

Time to go out and get a lottery ticket if so.

connect2source
May 4, 2019, 1:17 PM
Joe & The Juice from Denmark coming soon to post security in Domestic and International

Great news!! This is a staple in most European Airports now, just enjoyed the one in KEF. Great to hear YVR is finally improving their rather dreadful and dated food offerings.

YYCguys
May 4, 2019, 2:34 PM
Great news!! This is a staple in most European Airports now, just enjoyed the one in KEF. Great to hear YVR is finally improving their rather dreadful and dated food offerings.

The Transborder terminal food offerings could get some love. Other than a sit down food location, there’s a Tim’s, a Vietnamese fast food, and sometimes a BK when that portion of the concourse is open. That’s not a lot of options for such a large area!

casper
May 4, 2019, 10:37 PM
Interesting video from 1931 when YVR opened.....

dgHVL6gt0Dg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgHVL6gt0Dg

casper
May 4, 2019, 10:43 PM
The Transborder terminal food offerings could get some love. Other than a sit down food location, there’s a Tim’s, a Vietnamese fast food, and sometimes a BK when that portion of the concourse is open. That’s not a lot of options for such a large area!

There are a few fast food locations with some of the swing gates that go before trans-boarder and international.

zahav
May 5, 2019, 9:06 AM
YVR is re-doing all of the food offerings in the next year or so. There's a pinche taco shop coming to transborder for example.

As for the traffic stats, yes every knew the moderation was coming, last year was like +30% for misc everyt month, we knew that wasn't going to continue. I think YUL and YYC will be a bit higher growth but nothing earth shattering, esp considering YVR's growth %s the last few years

CloudInspector
May 5, 2019, 3:03 PM
I just saw on Airliners.net that Air Transat is starting YVR-FLL in January 2020, looks like three times a week. Does anybody have an official release?

Johnny Aussie
May 5, 2019, 6:22 PM
I just saw on Airliners.net that Air Transat is starting YVR-FLL in January 2020, looks like three times a week. Does anybody have an official release?

Air Transat’s booking engine shows 2 x weekly effective 20 December.
Flights on Fridays and Sundays.

TS622 YVR 0830 - 1710 FLL 57 321(neo)
TS623 FLL 1820 - 2205 YVR 57 321(neo)

nname
May 6, 2019, 1:44 AM
Air Transat’s booking engine shows 2 x weekly effective 20 December.
Flights on Fridays and Sundays.

TS622 YVR 0830 - 1710 FLL 57 321(neo)
TS623 FLL 1820 - 2205 YVR 57 321(neo)

... and I found something else when I was wondering what the 321neo will do for the other 5 days..

Day36: YVR 0630 - 1545 SJO 1645 - 1725 LIR - 0020+1 YVR
Day 4: YVR 0645 - 1800 PUJ 1910 - 2340 YVR

The plane fly to YUL Monday morning, and another come from YUL Tuesday night.

So next winter YVR will gain 2 new destinations (FLL, SJO), and will have 2 airlines flying to LIR and PUJ

Johnny Aussie
May 6, 2019, 3:14 AM
Looks like TS also bringing the A330 back next winter.

CUN and PVR will share a daily A330 (3 to CUN and 4 to PVR).

Leaving the 321neo to expand these new routes.

zahav
May 6, 2019, 4:22 PM
Quite a nice surprise from TS adding 3 new destinations. I think they operated PUJ many moons ago, but nothing recently. I'm sure they are testing the waters of demand, and this is another aircraft that can open up quite a few options that probably weren't profitable before with their widebodies or the leased 737s. I especially like the FLL add, it is basically Miami so we'll take what we can get until we actually get Miami. TS to FLL probably serves the leisure market better anyways. From the airlineroute.net news release, I think only YVR is getting new destinations, the YUL and YYZ adds are just equipment and frequency changes AFAIK but could be wrong, TS has so many destinations from their eastern bases it's hard to keep up:

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/284196/air-transat-outlines-a321neo-lr-sun-destinations-service-from-may-2019/

It's sad that before all the accidents everyone was talking about the MAX as a game changer, and now all that potential is on hold :(

SpongeG
May 6, 2019, 7:46 PM
which lounge is better at YVR International? I can choose the Premium Plaza or the Skyteam one. I've read reviews and the skyteam seems to be a bit better. Any preference?

nname
May 6, 2019, 7:48 PM
It's sad that before all the accidents everyone was talking about the MAX as a game changer, and now all that potential is on hold :(

I think MAX is more of a game changer for East Coast where it allows narrowbody TATL honghual operation. For YVR, maybe the C-Series (A220) would probably be more of a game changer than MAX? I feel like the A321neoLR or XLR (if it eventually become a thing) would be more of a game changer for YVR, as the range would cover northern Europe and Asia, which allows both narrowbody TPAC and TATL operation.... if demand warrants. MAX would allows flight from YVR to Florida and maybe Iceland... and... that's probably it?

Here is what I come up with based on comparing the great circle distance and the advertised range. Of course, I may be completely wrong with this, as there are factors other than just distance...

MAX8 321LR* 321XLR*
SJO YES YES YES
KEF Maybe YES YES
PTY Maybe YES YES
PUJ Maybe YES YES
BOG NO YES YES
CTS NO Maybe YES
GLA NO Maybe YES
OSL NO NO YES
DUB NO NO YES
MAN NO NO YES
AMS NO NO YES
HRB NO NO YES
NGO NO NO Maybe
PPT NO NO Maybe
CDG NO NO Maybe
SHE NO NO NO
LIM NO NO NO

* = neo
YES = < 90% of range
NO = > 96% of range

Add SHE and LIM in because some source states the proposed range for XLR is 4500nm, whereas some other source states 4700nm. 4500 is used for the table, but if it ends up being 4700, then SHE and LIM becomes "maybe" while NGO, PPT, CDG becomes "YES".

=====================

In other news, BR downguage YVR operation from Feb 2020:

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/284187/eva-air-schedules-787-9-vancouver-service-from-mid-feb-2019/
(Note: the title have the wrong year)

I kind of see this coming though...

LeftCoaster
May 6, 2019, 10:28 PM
Mate! Compared to Australian airports we’d take that. Our big 3 all down at least 2-3% in March. Some other airports down significantly.

I think we were expecting YVR’s growth to slow this year compared to the huge gains garnered in recent years.

Still, YVR is looking like the worst of the big Canadian Airports this year, so compared to our actual peers it is not great.

... and I found something else when I was wondering what the 321neo will do for the other 5 days..

Day36: YVR 0630 - 1545 SJO 1645 - 1725 LIR - 0020+1 YVR
Day 4: YVR 0645 - 1800 PUJ 1910 - 2340 YVR

The plane fly to YUL Monday morning, and another come from YUL Tuesday night.

So next winter YVR will gain 2 new destinations (FLL, SJO), and will have 2 airlines flying to LIR and PUJ

Wonderful news, and surprising given how TS has been centralizing service in YUL and YYZ the past few years.

Johnny Aussie
May 7, 2019, 12:17 AM
Still, YVR is looking like the worst of the big Canadian Airports this year, so compared to our actual peers it is not great.

Yes but after years of nation leading growth... we all know that wasn't sustainable.

As for BR's downgauge ever since AC entered the market they have definitely stolen market share away from them. I'd be curious once their 787-10s come online if YVR will get those. I'm very disappointed because I love their premium economy.

trofirhen
May 7, 2019, 2:58 AM
I think it it would be fantastic if the VC-10 could be "remade" with lighter materials for better fuel efficiency. It was such a sleek, beautiful plane. Could there be a market for it somewhere?
A "business class only" jet? I rather doubt it, but it's nice to dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx8RJ58tA_4

Hourglass
May 7, 2019, 3:42 AM
which lounge is better at YVR International? I can choose the Premium Plaza or the Skyteam one. I've read reviews and the skyteam seems to be a bit better. Any preference?

Plaza Premium is ok, but yeah, I'd do the Skyteam lounge.

twoNeurons
May 8, 2019, 5:46 AM

SkyTeam's way nicer... though you could alway do both. Pop into the PP lounge and see what their hot soup is and then keep on going to the SkyTeam lounge for the noodle bar and shower.

SpongeG
May 8, 2019, 8:05 PM
I have limited visits so If I have the time I will go to skyteam I think.

The A380 is back for the season, anyone go down there and watch it?

Johnny Aussie
May 9, 2019, 11:46 PM
From Airlineroute.net on twitter

China Eastern A350-900XWB to serve Shanghai Pu Dong – Vancouver MU581/582 from 28JUN19, replacing A330-200

This also brings F class and Premium Economy to the route.

Looks like the night flight and Nanjing remain 332.

trofirhen
May 10, 2019, 12:06 AM
From Airlineroute.net on twitter

China Eastern A350-900XWB to serve Shanghai Pu Dong – Vancouver MU581/582 from 28JUN19, replacing A330-200

Nice to see all this added capacity here with the A350 on several routes, like Munich in summer.
I just wish we could score a couple of new destinations, like Singapore, Istanbul, São Paulo....

nname
May 10, 2019, 1:20 AM
March stats are out

[...]

YYZ Q1 overall is up 2.8%, no further breakdown available.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/gtaa-reports-2019-first-quarter-results-continued-strong-commercial-revenues-at-toronto-pearson-873091762.html

Nice to see all this added capacity here with the A350 on several routes, like Munich in summer.
I just wish we could score a couple of new destinations, like Singapore, Istanbul, São Paulo....

But YVR just get Miami that everyone was asking for (sort of), and now also have direct service to all the San Joses it can possibly get (besides SJI, SJS, and SJE, which are too far and too small) :D

Speaking of which, I wonder if YVR will now distinguish them as "San Jose CA" and "San Jose CR" in their system starting this winter, or keep the "San Jose" name for one or both of the flights....

trofirhen
May 10, 2019, 4:21 AM
But YVR just get Miami that everyone was asking for (sort of), and now also have direct service to all the San Joses it can possibly get

TWO QUESTIONS, PLEASE:

Which airline flies to MIAMI, and when?
Are San Jose California, and San Jose, Costa Rica, the 2 San Joses?

nname
May 10, 2019, 4:45 AM
TWO QUESTIONS, PLEASE:

Which airline flies to MIAMI, and when?
Are San Jose California, and San Jose, Costa Rica, the 2 San Joses?

Fort Lauderdale is 34km away, close enough? :D

... and... you can add in San Jose del Cabo I guess...

SpongeG
May 10, 2019, 5:06 AM
YVR's post security is better than Edmontons for fast food. Edmonton does have better options for sit down dining but who has time for that?

Vancouver International Airport 4th best in Canada, 68th worldwide: survey
BY RIA RENOUF

Posted May 9, 2019

RICHMOND (NEWS 1130) – If numbers out on Thursday from travel website Airhelp are any indicator, Vancouver International Airport could stand to improve its service, flight timeliness and food and shopping selections.

YVR is fourth in Canada, but internationally ranked 68th out of 132nd worldwide.

It was outperformed by Edmonton International Airport, which came in 39th, as well as Calgary International and Kelowna International, which ranked 59th and 63rd, respectively.

The gold medal went to Hamad International Airport in Qatar, silver went to Tokyo International, while Athens International rounded out the top three.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/05/09/vancouver-international-airport-airhelp-survey/

trofirhen
May 10, 2019, 5:54 AM
Excuse a rather tired topic, but still relevant, I think.
What happened to TK to IST? Dead in the water? Or are there any vital signs it may one day happen?

Hourglass
May 10, 2019, 6:18 AM
Excuse a rather tired topic, but still relevant, I think.
What happened to TK to IST? Dead in the water? Or are there any vital signs it may one day happen?

What I heard on airliners.net is that Canada offered them 3 slots pw but TK insisted on daily and the negotiations collapsed. I think it’ll be a while before we see TK flying IST YVR.

trofirhen
May 10, 2019, 9:08 AM
What I heard on airliners.net is that Canada offered them 3 slots pw but TK insisted on daily and the negotiations collapsed. I think it’ll be a while before we see TK flying IST YVR.

TK should have taken the 3 slots pw, and run with it anyway. At least that way they'd have had their foot in the door at YVR, and have been in a position to negotiate later. grrrr

thenoflyzone
May 10, 2019, 11:51 AM
I've discussed this before.

TK had a lack of frames for this summer, the old airport was congested, plus the move to the new IST airport didnt help the launch of YVR.

Things should start cooling down vis a vis the new airport, and new frames will slowly start rolling in this year (B789 and A359s).

IST-YVR 3x weekly in 2020 or 2021 is a strong possiblity, if the negociations with Canada go well.

That being said, I can also see TK use those three frequencies to up YYZ to daily and YUL to 5x weekly. However, I believe TK desperately wants to launch YVR, so the former scenario is more likely.

Vagabond
May 10, 2019, 1:41 PM
Fort Lauderdale is 34km away, close enough? :D

... and... you can add in San Jose del Cabo I guess...

I actually knew someone who got SJD (Los Cabos) mixed up with SJO (San Jose, CR). She flew into the former thinking it was the latter. A mutual friend was supposed to pick her up at SJO and waited for hours before giving up and heading home (this was before the days when cellphones became ubiquitous). The funny part was the traveller thought she had arrived at the proper airport, and was furious that she had been "stood up". It wasn't until they connected the next day that she realized her mistake. And yes, I'm sad to say, she really didn't know that Mexico and Costa Rica were different countries!

Hourglass
May 13, 2019, 1:34 PM
Didn’t see this coming:

https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2019/05/13/westjet-agreement-sale-onex_a_23725365/?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage

nname
May 13, 2019, 8:10 PM
AM just updated their winter schedule. Seems like this year YVR-MEX will run 20-21x weekly for almost an entire month, from Dec 13 to Jan 7.

Hourglass
May 15, 2019, 4:08 PM
Not wanting to stir this particular pot again, but there’s an interesting Daily Hive article about YVR’s annual public meeting where Craig Richmond identified SEA as a competitive threat: https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/seattle-vancouver-airport-passenger-trans-pacific-hub

It also spawned a lively thread on airliners.net; most people think both airports serve different markets: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1422557

VancouverOfTheFuture
May 16, 2019, 12:34 AM
the outlet mall expansion is coming along pretty fast. it is looking not too bad.

Johnny Aussie
May 16, 2019, 12:38 AM
Not wanting to stir this particular pot again, but there’s an interesting Daily Hive article about YVR’s annual public meeting where Craig Richmond identified SEA as a competitive threat: https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/seattle-vancouver-airport-passenger-trans-pacific-hub

It also spawned a lively thread on airliners.net; most people think both airports serve different markets: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1422557

Yup as discussed many times... Craig Richmond made the exact same statement at last year’s AGM and has brought this up in many interviews. I’ve even mentioned it. Nothing new.

Just saw that particular thread on airliners.net. The OP neglected to separate SEA’s “transborder” from its international figures which skews the comparison of long haul international. You cannot compare US airport “international” figures with Canadian airport “international” figures that’s why it’s best to just compare total international which is the true definition of international anyway.

Not many US airports break down international into sub categories making it difficult to compare to Canadian Airports.

SEA has a LONG LONG way to go to catch up to YVR’s international figures. Even after this year’s additions there.

casper
May 19, 2019, 6:11 AM
YVR's post security is better than Edmontons for fast food. Edmonton does have better options for sit down dining but who has time for that?

BY RIA RENOUF

Posted May 9, 2019

RICHMOND (NEWS 1130) – If numbers out on Thursday from travel website Airhelp are any indicator, Vancouver International Airport could stand to improve its service, flight timeliness and food and shopping selections.

YVR is fourth in Canada, but internationally ranked 68th out of 132nd worldwide.

It was outperformed by Edmonton International Airport, which came in 39th, as well as Calgary International and Kelowna International, which ranked 59th and 63rd, respectively.

The gold medal went to Hamad International Airport in Qatar, silver went to Tokyo International, while Athens International rounded out the top three.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/05/09/vancouver-international-airport-airhelp-survey/

Honestly that makes no sense.

Half of the gates at the Edmonton airport are in a modern terminal building with good amenities. You turn the corner and you are back into the 1970s.

The Calgary airport messed up their international terminal.

trofirhen
May 22, 2019, 1:53 AM

BY RIA RENOUF

Posted May 9, 2019

YVR is fourth in Canada, but internationally ranked 68th out of 132nd worldwide...............................

This analysis is a rather 'non compos mentis.' How can YVR be only the fourth best airport in the Canada, when, for ten years solid, it has won SKYTRAX best a/p in North America?:koko:

red-paladin
May 22, 2019, 2:08 AM
Anti-Vancouver sentiment in the rest of Canada.

trofirhen
May 22, 2019, 2:25 AM
Yes. And it goes back decades. Major publications over the years, out of Toronto of course, like the Globe and Mail magazine, Saturday Night, and others, have all taken turns belittling, smashing, trashing, and spitting on Vancouver. Of course, jealousy plays a large role in that, so they can be forgiven for their moral weakness, I guess. ;)

Marshal
May 22, 2019, 7:13 AM
Never noticed. But then again, way back when I was a Torontonian, I never experienced the big Canada wide Toronto hate either. Glad on both accounts.

thenoflyzone
May 22, 2019, 1:53 PM

Did you even go through airhelp.com ratings before making that comment?

This analysis is a rather 'non compos mentis.' How can YVR be only the fourth best airport in the Canada, when, for ten years solid, it has won SKYTRAX best a/p in North America?:koko:

1. Skytrax is a joke. https://onemileatatime.com/turkish-airlines-skytrax-3-star/

2. Wasnt familiar with airhelp.com, but i actually went on their website for a bit of reading.

How is the AirHelp Score calculated?

On-Time Performance
We use the on-time performance statistics for every airport to calculate how likely it is that your flight will be on time.

Service Quality
We asked thousands of people from around the world to tell us about customer service, queues and cleanliness at their local airports.

Food and Shops
Via extensive surveys we asked thousands of people to rate airports' eating and shopping options.

Seems what drags down YVR's score is its on time performance statistics. YVR is busier than YYC/YEG, so its a bit normal that there are more delays at Vancouver. It outscores YYC and YEG in the other 2 criterias, which seems correct to me. YEG's scores are boosted by its on time performance, which tends to favor smaller airports.

YYC

overall score 7.60

on time performance 7.5
service quality 8.0
food and shops 7.4

YVR

overall score 7.46

on time performance 7.1
service quality 8.1
food and shops 7.8

YEG

overall score 7.83

on time performance 8.0
service quality 7.9
food and shops 7.4

Bottom line, people need to read before making uninformed comments.

s211
May 22, 2019, 2:40 PM

Before you go all :hell::hell::hell:, maybe read the terms of reference and scope of the review? :rolleyes:

twoNeurons
May 22, 2019, 5:42 PM
Let's be honest... the most important thing is that YTO (YTZ/YYZ) is dead last in those rankings at 8th and 10th respectively.

( I kid, I kid... just feeding anti-TO rhetoric )

trofirhen
May 22, 2019, 8:32 PM
Let's be honest... the most important thing is that YTO (YTZ/YYZ) is dead last in those rankings at 8th and 10th respectively.

( I kid, I kid... just feeding anti-TO rhetoric )
Seriously, though, Metro, how would you rate YYZ? (if that's the correct designation) After all it is Canada's main world gateway, and the Air Canada fortress hub.
It is the (according to research I did) the third most connected airport in the world, the first being LHR, the rest I forget. It's the biggest airport in the biggest city.
So how would you rate it: for the strong points as well as the weaker ones?