PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136

Locked In
Mar 26, 2009, 2:47 AM
This one's for you, trofirhen:

Air Canada to launch daily summer Vancouver-Paris flights

By Bruce Constantineau, Vancouver Sun - March 25, 2009 6:02 PM

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/www.vancouversun.com/canada+launch+daily+summer+vancouver+paris+flights/1428012/1428014.bin
The iconic Eiffel Tower, an architectural jewel of Paris, is bathed in blue light last summer to help celebrate France's six-month presidency of the European Union. Air Canada will have daily service between Paris and Vancouver this summer.
Photograph by: Mal Langsdon, Reuters files

Air Canada will launch a daily summer service between Vancouver and Paris starting July 1 this year, the airline is to announce Thursday.

The one-stop, same-plane, Vancouver-Montreal-Paris service will operate until Sept. 29 to meet strong seasonal demand for a Vancouver connection to the French capital.

French government and tourism officials will be in Vancouver Thursday to help launch the new service that will operate with a refurbished 211-seat Boeing 767-300 aircraft.

“We are delighted to offer Vancouver and Western Canada the only daily service to Paris,” Air Canada vice-president of sales Claude Morin said in a statement.

Air Transat operates a twice-weekly service between Vancouver and Paris from May through October. One is a direct flight while the other stops in Calgary.

John Korenic, Vancouver International Airport Authority's director of aviation marketing, said airport officials are pleased with the new Air Canada service.

“We see it as another option for passengers to access France, which is really one of our larger unserved markets,” Korenic said in an interview.

Current air agreements between Canada and the European Union allow Canadian carriers to fly to France from any point in Canada, but French carriers that fly to Montreal and Toronto cannot fly to Vancouver.

Korenic said a new agreement expected to be ratified this year will give more European carriers the option of flying directly to Vancouver. He said YVR has done a lot of work on the demand for a non-stop, year-round service linking Vancouver with Paris.

“From what we understand of the marketplace and from the data we have, it certainly seems to be viable,” Korenic said.

The number of French visitors to B.C. rose by more than 19 per cent last year to 21,000.

bconstantineau@vancouversun.com
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Source: Vancouver Sun (http://www.vancouversun.com/Canada+launch+daily+summer+Vancouver+Paris+flights/1428012/story.html)

Yume-sama
Mar 26, 2009, 3:48 AM
Nice! Too bad no Air France with a 747 :P

Too bad not the new 777, and too bad it's not direct.

BUUUT, hate to admit I have been impressed with the new interior of Air Canada recently. Enough to buy a flight pass.

Though I did have possibly the worst flight attendants in the World last time, who were joking about the plane crashing. During takeoff...

bbeliko
Mar 26, 2009, 4:31 AM

If it was air france, it wouldn't be a 747 anyway, probably B-777, or A-330/340

Yume-sama
Mar 26, 2009, 4:35 AM
Hmm, really? They still have 13 of them. It's a shame most major airlines, including JAL, are planning to retire them all soon.

SpongeG
Mar 26, 2009, 5:22 AM
theres a few other charters who do the paris route in the summer - i think they are direct too

trofirhen
Mar 26, 2009, 7:15 PM
First of all, thanks to "Locked In" for being thoughtful enough to dedicate the Paris - Vancouver article to me - a loudspeaker for the service. (Living in Paris helps) I think that when the results are in, Vancouver will have year-round service to Paris, in about two or three years. It doesn't matter to me if it's not a 747, 777, or the latest of the latest. I took Lufthansa to Vancouver three years back (an awkward transfer included in the routing) and the plane was an Airbus 340. Very nice. The washrooms are one level down, and as a result, people aren't embarassed by a planeload of people observing them lining up for the facilities, which always happens after a meal is served.
Anyway, back to the subject. This is a modest breakthrough, but a breakthrough nevertheless. Paris is a great, central place to land if you're visiting Europe, and the city itself (the most visited in the world) is a huge attraction. Vive le décollage ! (Hurray for takeoff) :tup:

Gordon
Mar 26, 2009, 8:09 PM
Unfortunatley Air Canada has sold most if not all of their A340s & their 777s are either based out of the East or assigned to asian routes ib Vancouver.

The 787s are a couple of yaers away.

Coldrsx
Mar 26, 2009, 8:17 PM
nice catch van... good route for you

Yume-sama
Mar 26, 2009, 9:58 PM
Pictures by ME from my crappy Blackberry.

The JAL Sakura Lounge...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3416/3344938998_5072b510f9_b.jpg

You can only see Air Canada planes from the Sakura Lounge >.>
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3302/3344109113_b68916e616_b.jpg

I wanted to get better pictures of the terminal area, and the Olympic rings outside... but.... yeah, I need a point and shoot camera. I can't be taking my DSLR out everywhere :P

metroXpress
Mar 26, 2009, 10:24 PM
Oh..thanks. I think the second one is clear enough. It must be very sunny out there.

Yume-sama
Mar 26, 2009, 10:26 PM
The Sakura Lounge is extremely lacking compared to the ones in Japan. I've never been in any other lounges in YVR though, I wonder if they are similar. :sly:

nova9
Mar 27, 2009, 1:10 AM
I'm glad for the new Paris connection too. I just got back from Paris. I took the United through Chicago. I'd definitely prefer to give Canadians my money.

Did not particularly enjoy the experience with United, not because of United but because of the passengers - should have upgraded to eco plus or business.

metroXpress
Mar 27, 2009, 1:16 AM
^ I hoped you had a great time in Paris though!!

nova9
Mar 27, 2009, 1:56 AM
unbelievable time. i had never seen my friend's apartment before but the view was amazing. without giving away his address, we stayed right on the seine in the 16th with an unobstructed view of le tour eiffel.

I saw all the main things and i visited Mumm Champagne!!

And by the by, I realized I going through the US part of YVR so there weren't many interesting things to take photos of. And I left in the morning so there weren't that many planes on the tarmac. Sorry all.

I did take some of O'Hare but here's not the right place for them.

metroXpress
Mar 27, 2009, 2:18 AM
^ Great! Can't wait to see your wonderful pics on flickr or something else you use!

Chikinlittle
Mar 27, 2009, 2:44 AM
Vancouver-Paris one-stop service via Montreal? LAME! Why even bother?

I would much prefer to fly with Air Transat then if it's summer-only service, as they offer both non-stop and onestop via Calgary flights, depending which day of the week.

Also, since I find it unlikely that AC would fly a half-empty plane 5 hours across the country from Montreal-Vancouver on the way back, I would assume that this portion would be operated as a domestic service. That means that all Paris originating passengers would have to disembark in Montreal, pick up their bags, clear customs/immigration, drop of their bags and board the flight again. PLUS the extra flying time routing via Montreal (several hours) makes this a major non-event for me.

Yume-sama
Mar 27, 2009, 2:54 AM
Vancouver-Paris one-stop service via Montreal? LAME! Why even bother?

I would much prefer to fly with Air Transat then if it's summer-only service, as they offer both non-stop and onestop via Calgary flights, depending which day of the week.

Also, since I find it unlikely that AC would fly a half-empty plane 5 hours across the country from Montreal-Vancouver on the way back, I would assume that this portion would be operated as a domestic service. That means that all Paris originating passengers would have to disembark in Montreal, pick up their bags, clear customs/immigration, drop of their bags and board the flight again. PLUS the extra flying time routing via Montreal (several hours) makes this a major non-event for me.

That would be extremely dis-honest...

eemy
Mar 27, 2009, 11:45 AM
Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Flights like this are hardly unusual; Air Canada already does it with flights such as Toronto-Vancouver-Sydney and Montreal-Toronto-Santiago off the top of my head. It's also really no different than international flights that stop at an intermediate destination, such as the short lived Qantas flight through San Francisco. I suppose it was dishonest for them to advertise flights to Sydney from Vancouver as well.

In the US, they advertise flights as being the same flight number, but that require a change in plane. Now that is dishonest.

twoNeurons
Mar 27, 2009, 4:03 PM
It shouldn't be considered NON-STOP if it stops and you have to disembark. Seems like this is just adding to the flights going into and out of Montreal.

The only benefit is that on the outbound flight you don't need to get off the plane, right?

trofirhen
Mar 27, 2009, 5:41 PM
It shouldn't be considered NON-STOP if it stops and you have to disembark. Seems like this is just adding to the flights going into and out of Montreal.

The only benefit is that on the outbound flight you don't need to get off the plane, right?
;)

I know that a long, overseas flight, which would be several hours shorter, and with a stop in Montreal just to get to Paris, does seem like a modest offering. However, other than charter airlines, this is the first NO CHANGE OF PLANE service from vancouver to Paris. Changing planes is pain. Trust me.

Also, if this works out, it will probably evolve into an "over-the-pole" nonstop in two years or so, similar to the daily Seattle -to Paris flight (on an AIRBUS 340) This one is worth keeping an eye on, to see how it works out.

lubicon
Mar 27, 2009, 9:11 PM

Too bad not the new 777, and too bad it's not direct.

BUUUT, hate to admit I have been impressed with the new interior of Air Canada recently. Enough to buy a flight pass.

Though I did have possibly the worst flight attendants in the World last time, who were joking about the plane crashing. During takeoff...

It is direct. It is not non stop. There's a difference.

twoNeurons
Mar 27, 2009, 10:21 PM
Looks like Air Canada is trying to head up Air France on this route. They are trying to capture the YVR-PARIS market before Air France moves in, advertising that they too offer a direct flight, while simultaneously reducing risk in running the flight direct and increasing service to Montreal.

If Air France ran Direct Flights before Air Canada, it certainly would be evidence of Air Canada's eastern focus and relative lack of attention to Vancouver.

Air Canada seems only willing to run routes to Vancouver where they would face embarrassment or obvious competition.

I wonder how they'll market it.

Note: I've never really had much of a problem with Air Canada's service, except that they seem to have the most "experienced (read: oldest)" cabin crews in the business.

Yume-sama
Mar 27, 2009, 11:02 PM
It is direct. It is not non stop. There's a difference.

I don't really count that is "direct"... I mean, yeah, you get there, but not directly :P

Direct is generally "non-stop", without having to be diverted to another airport beforehand.

DKaz
Mar 27, 2009, 11:48 PM
It's still direct if you don't have to get off the plane, hopefully not. I took a plane from Vancouver to Ottawa a few years back, we stopped at Toronto on the way, had to get off the plane then reboard. It wasn't too bad except that the flight was a red eye, left Vancouver 12am, got to Toronto 8am EST. yawn!!!

SpongeG
Mar 29, 2009, 8:23 PM
it adds a couple hours to the flight though

NetMapel
Mar 29, 2009, 8:26 PM
If it has to stop somewhere else first before going to the final destination, it's not a direct flight. Air Canada continues to fail the western part of Canada...

Delirium
Mar 29, 2009, 11:25 PM
a nice shot of YVR taken today
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/oct2gon/3396040495_8217c0d221_b.jpg
photo by Tarik Al-Briek on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/30666436@N07/3396092219/

domestic terminal renos (that shell like roof is new yes?)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/oct2gon/3385653186_2eee2a07ef_o.jpg
photo by Joel Freeman on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/joelfreeman/3385653186/sizes/l/

metroXpress
Mar 29, 2009, 11:26 PM
^ Thanks for the great pictures!!

Locked In
Mar 29, 2009, 11:43 PM
^ Cool pictures.

If it has to stop somewhere else first before going to the final destination, it's not a direct flight.

That's not how the aviation industry uses the term 'direct':

Probably the most persistently vexing is direct flight versus nonstop flight. If a flight billed as nonstop makes a stop, barring an emergency, the Department of Transportation considers that a deceptive practice. A flight labeled direct is another matter: It is certainly going to involve at least one stop, but there may be more than one, and there may be a plane change or even an airline change.
...a spokeswoman for the Official Airline Guides, which publish all airlines' schedules in books and electronically, said that those publications define a direct flight as one with a single flight number even though the plane might be changed on the way.

But clearly some people agree with you that it's not the most fitting term...

Nils J. Flo, a Scandinavian Airlines System spokesman, said that direct flight was an inaccurate term with no clear definition, and that the industry was doing itself a disservice by using it. "It creates ill will," he said.

Source: New York Times, Travel (http://www.nytimes.com/1992/09/20/travel/practical-traveler-understanding-travelspeak.html?sec=travel)

officedweller
Mar 29, 2009, 11:56 PM
The shell roof part has been there for a while.

SpongeG
Mar 29, 2009, 11:58 PM
the part right of the yellow is the new part?

Delirium
Mar 30, 2009, 3:09 PM
The shell roof part has been there for a while.

thanks. i think i know the area now. there's a big rock wall and the a/c lounge entrance is there.

twoNeurons
Mar 30, 2009, 4:12 PM
^ Cool pictures.

That's not how the aviation industry uses the term 'direct':

But clearly some people agree with you that it's not the most fitting term...

Source: New York Times, Travel (http://www.nytimes.com/1992/09/20/travel/practical-traveler-understanding-travelspeak.html?sec=travel)

http://www.gerrymay.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/monopoly-go-to-jail-card.jpg

Go Directly to Paris, do not pass Montréal, do not collect 200 passengers. :D

Delirium
Apr 11, 2009, 10:06 PM
here's another nice shot of YVR
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3632/3426155992_5873039666_b.jpg
photo by Ecstaticist on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecstaticist/3426155992/sizes/o/

mr.x
Apr 11, 2009, 10:18 PM
^ Burkeville really needs to go.....btw, not sure how long it has been there but anyone notice the new greenery at the Arthur Lang interchange?

bahahaha, you can even see the Olympic rings from that photograph.

NetMapel
Apr 11, 2009, 10:32 PM
Why would anybody want to live that close to the airport anyways ? They should really move to somewhere else for their own health @_@

Oh, and cool Olympic rings :D

Vancity
Apr 11, 2009, 11:16 PM
Yep. Burkeville has definitely got to go. Aren't there plans to demolish that, and build something else there?

officedweller
Apr 12, 2009, 1:00 AM
Burkeville was established a a Boeing company town way back - 1930s? when Boeing had a plant at Sea Island.

jlousa
Apr 12, 2009, 1:24 AM
That's correct the houses are all the same, there were only a few patterns they were all based on. They were designed by the same guy that did the Marine blding. All the houses were sold off when the factory closed down. That community won't go anywhere anytime soon, it's a very close knit community, probably closer than any other community in the lower mainland.

SpongeG
Apr 12, 2009, 3:05 AM
the houses are cute - its a nice little area

what should they do with it?

osirisboy
Apr 12, 2009, 3:37 AM
there is so much land around the area already that is ready for development there is no need to try and demolish burkeville anytime soon.

punkster1982
Apr 24, 2009, 1:57 AM
By Joanne Lee-Young, Vancouver SunApril 13, 2009

VANCOUVER — It’s always an arduous affair when two countries sit down to hammer out so-called “open-skies” agreements.

The arcane details of how talks went last November, when officials from Canada and Korea met behind closed doors to discuss widening air services, are unclear, but it appears that each side returned home with a different sense of how things should proceed.

In Korea, local news reports proclaimed a breakthrough. KBS News, the country’s public broadcaster, reported: “South Korea and Canada have agreed to the full liberalization of air travel. The Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs Ministry in Seoul says Korea became the first Asian nation to strike such a deal with Canada during two-day talks in Vancouver.”

Seeing these headlines in Korea, observers checked Transport Canada’s website, but there was no corresponding news.

Now, five months later, there is a mini-brouhaha because Korean Air has ramped up its Vancouver staff and sold thousands of tickets, believing it would be able to bump its three-times-a-week service to daily flights starting in late March or early April. Instead, the silence from Ottawa has been deafening.

It’s not just Seoul that wants to know when things might move ahead, but Victoria does, too, according to Premier Gordon Campbell.

Both the Vancouver Airport Authority and Transport Canada say that no agreement was reached between the two countries in November. “No date has been set for the signing as negotiations have not yet concluded,” said Transport Canada spokeswoman Maryse Durette in an e-mail.

Pressed for details on what could be stalling the process—for example, has the economic downturn changed the landscape? — the federal body said only that it is “very interested in reaching agreement with Korea to benefit customers in both Canada and Korea. Again, there is no set timeline to these negotiations. We unfortunately don’t have more to say at this time, but the negotiations have to follow due process.”

Over at Korean Air, Vancouver-based regional manager James Koh is at a loss to explain the situation. He has hired about 20 new staff across various departments to deal with an expanded schedule.

“I don’t know exactly what was agreed. Only the governments know. But usually in the case of air services talks, they decide their position first, then negotiate the details.” In a later e-mail, he said that it is “normal international practice” to work out everything and cement a deal within three months.

Jay Shin, the Vancouver-based vice-president of the Canada Korea Business Association and a partner at Borden Ladner Gervais, says: “The Koreans thought they had an agreement in principle. … They had an expectation that it was going to be signed before March of this year.”

Indeed, in a letter dated mid-March to Premier Campbell, Korean Air president J.H. Lee explained the company’s strategy and its hopes for a stop-gap measure: “Since it was believed that the agreements would be effectuated soon, we have worked out Canada routes expansion plans for 2009 summer season. However, due to unexpected delay of the agreements between our two governments, we have no choice but to operate additional flight as extras.”

Even with this, however, Lee has been stonewalled: “We keep hearing over a month, on one hand, from CTA [the Canadian Transportation Agency] that Air Canada’s concurrence is indispensable to approve Korean Air’s application for extra flights, and on the other hand, from Air Canada that they are not to give a concurrence now that the open-skies scheme is agreed upon.”

Without even a temporary solution, Korean Air started in early April to cancel flights right through its summer schedule into October. In total, some 7,000 passengers had to be “re-accommodated,” according to Korean Air.

For David Moon, owner of one of the larger agencies selling Korean Air tickets, Smile Travel Agency in Coquitlam, the rigmarole of doing this “is a big headache right now. Many people are very angry that the flights are being cancelled. We have to change them to Seattle, to L.A., to San Francisco, or onto Air Canada.”

These U.S. cities have already been benefitting because the U.S. has an open-skies agreement with Korea. Flights from Seoul to Seattle on Korean Air costs just $735, compared to the cheapest fare to Vancouver at $1,150.

Last week, one day after Transport Canada’s e-mail to The Vancouver Sun, the situation took another turn when the Canadian Transport Agency granted Korean Air permission to put the 52 extra summer-to-the-end-of-October flights it had cancelled back in play.

The decision still won’t give Korean Air the daily access it had expected, but will get it up to five flights per week out of Vancouver for a period of time. It isn’t clear yet what will happen after October and into the winter schedule.

Although air travel stats from Asia have been tumbling as the global recession worsens, demand does appear to outstrip supply on this specific route. For the first quarter of this year, the passenger load factor (or how much passenger-carrying capacity is used) on Korean Air was over 95 per cent, according to Koh.

He believes the case is similar elsewhere. He estimates that Air Canada has about 40 per cent of the market share on this route, Korean Air about 25 per cent, and Singapore Airlines about 20 per cent. At the end of April, however, there will be a fresh source of long-term pressure for more seats because Singapore Airlines is bowing out of the picture completely.

Premier Campbell has been publicly urging Ottawa to secure more liberal air agreements with various Asian countries for the sake of trade and tourism. He regularly suggests that B.C. business people should pester their local MPs about this.

“Flights and traffic can lead to investments of other kinds,” said Shin. “I have clients now that came to Canada 10 years ago to visit or to learn English. They had such a favourable impression.

“It is easier for Koreans to set up businesses [in Canada] and look from here at North America as an overall market. But if trade delegations and business people who want to scope out Vancouver have to first stop in Seattle, if it is easier to travel there, Vancouver will lose out.”

It’s a chorus that goes beyond B.C. In Alberta, the Calgary Airport Authority has “become aware of seemingly non-competitive and restrictive actions that we feel have the potential to damage the aviation, tourism and business linkages between Canada, Korea and the connecting Asian markets,” according to an e-mail sent from Katherine Kelly, its director of air service development and industry relations, to Transport Canada.

“In consideration of the economic times and the positive impact that Asian tourism and business linkage have on our city, province and country, we find it puzzling that the Canadian government would prevent ‘open-skies’ between Canada and Korea, or in the interim, an additional 120 flights into Canada.”

jlee-young@vancouversun.com
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/sputtering+start+Seoul+Vancouver+open+skies/1490147/story.html

SpongeG
Apr 24, 2009, 8:21 PM
Singapore Airlines no longer flying out of Vancouver

Airline blames the tough economy

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - After 20 years of operations in Vancouver, tomorrow will be the last flight for Singapore Airlines.

Sales manager for Western Canada Michael Wraight says the office will remain operating until the end of May. "And all the staff will be let go, we will have two people representing the company. One in Western Canada will be representing Singapore Airlines, one in Eastern Canada. We will be reporting to our regional office in Los Angeles."

About 23 people will be losing their jobs. Wraight says passengers out of Canada can now use star alliance carriers to transfer to Singapore Airlines flights to Asia. Wraight blames the economy and calls it a sad day. The last flight will go from Vancouver to Seoul, then from Seoul onto Singapore.

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/more.jsp?content=20090424_144626_8952

Several injured after Air Canada flight hits turbulence

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - At least a dozen people were injured aboard an Air Canada flight en route to Vancouver from Sidney, Australia after encountering severe turbulence. Air Canada Flight 34 encountered the turbulence southwest of Hawaii at around 3:10 a.m. Pacific time.

Air Canada's Angela Mah says nine passengers and two flight attendants have been treated for minor injuries during an unscheduled stop in Honolulu, where the plane was inspected. It departed from Honolulu about two hours later. Two other passengers remained there for further assessment, but have since been released and will return to Vancouver later today.

Mah says the airline will be investigating the incident. "We're going to be doing a further investigation into the incident, but the seatbelt sign was on during the time the turbulence occurred."

The Boeing 777 aircraft was carrying 256 passengers and 17 crew members.

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/more.jsp?content=20090424_120418_1780

twoNeurons
Apr 24, 2009, 9:44 PM
http://www.vancouversun.com/business/sputtering+start+Seoul+Vancouver+open+skies/1490147/story.html

Unless your initials are YYZ, you get put on the back burner.

I wouldn't surprise me if they were trying to get more flights into YYZ as a condition of flying more flights to YVR.

Gordon
Apr 27, 2009, 7:54 PM
It Seems that starting today the Flex gates in the International Terminal have been re - numbered ie CD5 or DE7 instead of having the gates numbered more or less numerically from 50-96

Yume-sama
Apr 29, 2009, 6:46 PM
Supposedly JAL is letting any customers booked on JAL 017 / 018 from YVR - NRT (or NRT - YVR) cancel without penalty.

These flights are codeshare with Mexicana Airlines and fly from NRT - YVR - Mexico City and back.

In addition...

* ・All meals on board JAL flights do not contain pork produced in Mexico.
* ・All pork used in in-flight meals have undergone safety checks and are thoroughly cooked.
* ・Face masks are loaded onboard every JAL flight.
* ・The air-cleaning systems onboard JAL aircraft have been fitted with the highest grade of filter that has been authorised by aircraft makers, to ensure the air in the cabin remain clean.

CBeats
Apr 29, 2009, 9:32 PM
^^ Those measures are mostly unecessary. You can't get the swine flu from eating pork. Apparently wearing gas masks does not prevent the spread of infection.

SpongeG
Apr 29, 2009, 9:38 PM
at least with masks people who don't cover their mouth at least are covered

trofirhen
Apr 30, 2009, 3:55 PM
Unless your initials are YYZ, you get put on the back burner.

I wouldn't surprise me if they were trying to get more flights into YYZ as a condition of flying more flights to YVR.

:previous: Precisely! It's too bad that that the majority of people out here can't wake up and the smell the coffee.

Yume-sama
Apr 30, 2009, 5:16 PM
:previous: Precisely! It's too bad that that the majority of people out here can't wake up and the smell the coffee.

And what exactly could people do about it? :shrug:

zahav
Apr 30, 2009, 7:10 PM
Canada's air regulations are a joke, they are so outdated, if I was an airline I wouldn't want to deal with all of their red tape... but it's true, they give Toronto the best of all routes, and leave Vancouver to suffer.

trofirhen
May 1, 2009, 10:04 AM
And what exactly could people do about it? :shrug:

First of all, if enough people are actively interested, they could (and can) write to their MP in Ottawa. With enough letters, this would give local Parliamentary representatives "bargaining power" to start a debate on the topic with the Minister of Transport (nearly all of whom, you will notice, are from Southern Ontario and Quebec; formerly Lawrence Cannon, now John Baird). "Takin' it to the streets" is the most effective way of creating change, and this IS possible if enough people write and make their voices heard, rather than just sitting back and lamenting the situation.

LotusLand
May 1, 2009, 3:45 PM
First of all, if enough people are actively interested, they could (and can) write to their MP in Ottawa. With enough letters, this would give local Parliamentary representatives "bargaining power" to start a debate on the topic with the Minister of Transport (nearly all of whom, you will notice, are from Southern Ontario and Quebec; formerly Lawrence Cannon, now John Baird). "Takin' it to the streets" is the most effective way of creating change, and this IS possible if enough people write and make their voices heard, rather than just sitting back and lamenting the situation.

Okay I'll start and I urge everyone else on this site to start, perhaps a facebook group even I don't know but lets get the word that enough is enough and its time for a change. No more T.O. as the hub screw them. We want more direct flights from Van.

Although having said that the economic climate would trump everything else, now add the swine flu and its only going to get worse.

trofirhen
May 1, 2009, 4:26 PM
Okay I'll start and I urge everyone else on this site to start, perhaps a facebook group even I don't know but lets get the word that enough is enough and its time for a change. No more T.O. as the hub screw them. We want more direct flights from Van.

Although having said that the economic climate would trump everything else, now add the swine flu and its only going to get worse.

:jester: Thanks for your support! Gather kindling, gather firewood. Set it ablaze. Then spray CO2 foam all over it and watch it fizzle out. Keep up the faith. Isn't that the Canadian way? (... and people wonder why things don't change ....)

abc1
May 3, 2009, 1:12 PM
Does anyone have any current pics/renderings of C pier (is it due to be finished this summer) and if they plan to finish it (Both) in a way that complements the international terminal? B pier looks like little has been updated since it was built.

trofirhen
May 4, 2009, 4:11 PM
Here is an exhaustive list of Air Canada destinations from YYZ (Toronto) It does not include air Canada Jazz. For interest, it came from Wikipedia. Compare it with the list of Air Canada destinations out of Vancouver. Oh, and don't forget to throw in a few other air lines like Alitalia, El-Al, Olympic .... plus major European, American, and foreign carriers .......
_____________________From YYZ: Air Canada: Antigua, Aruba, Barbados, Beijing-Capital, Bermuda, Bogotá, Boston, Buenos Aires-Ezeiza, Calgary, Cancún, Caracas, Cayo Coco/Cayo Guillermo, Chicago-O'Hare, Cozumel, Dallas/Fort Worth, Deer Lake, Denver, Dublin [seasonal], Edmonton, Fort Lauderdale, Fort McMurray, Fort Myers, Frankfurt, Geneva [begins 1 June][16] Grand Cayman, Grenada, Halifax, Havana, Holguin, Hong Kong, Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo, Kelowna, Kingston, Las Vegas, Liberia (Costa Rica) [seasonal], Lima, London-Heathrow, Los Angeles, Madrid [seasonal], Mexico City, Miami, Montego Bay, Montréal, Munich, Nassau, New York-LaGuardia, Newark, Orlando, Ottawa, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Providenciales, Puerto Plata, Puerto Vallarta, Punta Cana, Regina, Rome-Fiumicino [seasonal], San Francisco, Samana [seasonal], San José de Costa Rica, San José del Cabo, San Juan [seasonal], Santa Clara (Cuba), Santiago de Chile, São Paulo-Guarulhos, Sarasota/Bradenton [seasonal], Saskatoon, Seattle/Tacoma, Seoul-Incheon [seasonal], Shanghai-Pudong, St. John's (NL), St. Maarten [seasonal], St. Lucia, Sydney (AUS), Tampa, Tel Aviv, Tokyo-Narita, Vancouver, Varadero, Victoria, Washington-Reagan, West Palm Beach, Winnipeg, Zürich ____________________
:banana: (the joke's on us)

twoNeurons
May 6, 2009, 8:36 PM
Canada, Japan expand bilateral air transport agreement

TOKYO -- Canada and Japan have agreed to expand their existing bilateral air transport agreement.

The expanded agreement allows airlines to offer unlimited services between Canada and any city in Japan outside of the Tokyo area. It also allows, for the first time, under certain conditions, access to Haneda Airport, Tokyo's metropolitan airport. Officials say the agreement further includes modernized aviation safety and security provisions and provides mechanisms for airline prices to adapt faster to market fluctuations.

Stockwell Day, Minister of International Trade and Minister for the Asia-Pacific Gateway, has said the move will benefit trade, tourism and investments in Canada's economy.

"This expanded agreement will be of considerable benefit to Canadian business," said Minister Day, who was in Tokyo for a series of meetings aimed at opening new opportunities for Canadian exporters and investors. "This agreement will permit Canadian citizens to fly directly to regions in Japan outside of Tokyo, making their travel more efficient. As well, it will help create new jobs for our economy, expand market potential and build connections for our citizens across the important Asia-Pacific Gateway."

Officials have touted the new agreement as evidence of further progress in the Government of Canada's $1-billion Asia-Pacific Gateway and Corridor Initiative (APGCI). The APGCI is a national initiative that focuses on ensuring Canada's competitiveness in global commerce, including air services, while also benefiting local communities by improving the safety, security and environmental sustainability of the transportation system in the long term.

source (http://www.ctl.ca/issues/ISArticle.asp?id=99028&issue=04212009)

I welcome any improved service to Japan. I thought AC had suspended YVR-KIX(Osaka) for economic reasons, which didn't make sense, because those flights were always full.

Currently, the YVR-NAR flight originates at YYZ. I certainly hope we can get a YVR-KIX reinstated, or at least a YVR-HND (Tokyo Haneda), which would make it a lot easier to transfer (there are a LOT more flights from HND to other destinations inside Japan)

Yume-sama
May 6, 2009, 8:39 PM
From what I read the Haneda times will be extremely odd, during non-peak hours. I think it was between 22:00 and 05:00 both arriving and departing.

I'd rather just stick to Narita, given those times :P

JAL has pretty good times from YVR - NRT 5 - 6x per week, with one day having 2 departures and arrivals.

twoNeurons
May 6, 2009, 9:02 PM
From what I read the Haneda times will be extremely odd, during non-peak hours. I think it was between 22:00 and 05:00 both arriving and departing.

I'd rather just stick to Narita, given those times :P

JAL has pretty good times from YVR - NRT 5 - 6x per week, with one day having 2 departures and arrivals.

Ick. No kidding. However, it might make sense to land a plane in Haneda at 5:00, and then transfer on the first flight out to Sapporo, Osaka etc. probably around 6:00-6:30. You're at your final destination in time for breakfast.

a 22:30 flight out of Vancouver would put you in Vancouver around 13:30 or so.

Not the best of flights, but if you can sleep on the plane, those can be good times.

trofirhen
May 9, 2009, 10:59 AM
The last time I was in Vancouver was back in 2006, while the LINK building was under construction, and the Pier C expansion had not yet begun. I wonder what the terminal looks like now. Does anyone have some good visuals of YVR? I'd love to see them, and I'm sure a lot of people, would, too.
Thank you, fellow readers. :)

agrant
May 9, 2009, 3:12 PM
:previous: Pics of the new expansion are around, I know I've seen them. They might be in this thread somewhere...

zahav
May 10, 2009, 2:55 AM
i still don't know how to post photos.. can someone walk me through it, i have tons of construction pics of the C-Pier expansion (interior) and Link II building under construction

SpongeG
May 10, 2009, 4:40 AM
you upload them to a host - like photobucket or whatever you choose

than you use the code

zahav
May 10, 2009, 9:51 AM
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/Jan2023_0920011.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/Feb2010_0920011.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/Feb2010_0920011.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/Feb2010_0920010.jpg
[IMG]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/Feb2010_0920012.jpg
[IMG]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/Mar2017_0920002.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/Mar2017_0920004.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/YVRPierC227.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/YVRPierC228.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/PierC12.jpg

hollywoodnorth
May 10, 2009, 9:54 AM
way to go forum rookie dude! ya did it!

mr.x
May 10, 2009, 3:49 PM
wow...where exactly is that? how much of it is going to be open to the public?

thx for posting.

osirisboy
May 10, 2009, 4:42 PM
wow thatnks for all the pics, that was a nice surprise.

where is this all being built in relation to the existing pier c?

mr.x
May 10, 2009, 4:52 PM
lol, it almost looks like a train platform.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/PierC12.jpg

metroXpress
May 10, 2009, 5:22 PM
^ It does....

thanks for posting these zahav

SpongeG
May 10, 2009, 7:47 PM
cool pics

where is this all being built in relation to the existing pier c?

I think its between the two domestic terminal wings

there used to be tjose windows you could look out to the runway from tim hortons etc... now its all blocked off to this new structure

zahav
May 11, 2009, 12:52 AM
Thanks everyone, I'm glad I finally figured out how to post, I will have more soon

I will explain where everything is taken. First of all, all of the pictures here are in post-security areas, nothing of what you see will be public once complete :( So the first 8 pictures are from a project called Link II, which is the continuation of the Link building, but post security. If any of you have flown out of the C-Pier, you have obviosuly noticed the weird entrance to the gates, and how you have to walk around, and there is tons of hoarding. Well, Link II will provide a much more dramatic connection between domestic and international, instead of just a dark corridor. There will be a big open area as soon as you pass security, and you can either go to the C50, 51, 52, or to the main C-Pier. It will loook good, up until now, the transfer between domestic and international has been kind of awkward and confusing.

The last 3 pics are of the C-Pier expansion, the moving sidewalk ends at about the point where the new and old C-Piers meet. Does anyone know if I can post PDFs?

SpongeG
May 11, 2009, 2:02 AM
no you can't post PDF's but you can post links to them (as far as i know about PDF's)

trofirhen
May 11, 2009, 4:30 AM
Those are really interesting pictures. Thanks again. Does anyone have a diagram, looking down vertically, to help schematize all this, plus the new LINK Building, into a visual "map?" YVR seems to be taking off as a terminal, and now the the EU Open skies, as a future major destination as well. It would be interesting to see how the passengers will be routed through the airport.

Yume-sama
May 12, 2009, 12:11 AM
:sly: Someone mentioned to me today that Air Canada is cutting its YVR - NRT route. Is he mis-informed or... is this actually true?

I can't imagine it being true.

zahav
May 12, 2009, 1:37 AM
this seems highly unlinkely, considering they are upgrading their service from a Airbus A330 to a Boeing 777.... but with AC, you never know, they have been quite unpredictable lately with their route anouncements

trofirhen
May 12, 2009, 4:52 AM
this seems highly unlinkely, considering they are upgrading their service from a Airbus A330 to a Boeing 777.... but with AC, you never know, they have been quite unpredictable lately with their route anouncements

That may be because they're hemmorhaging money with low yield factors on many routes, like Vancouver - Sydney. A friend of mine, a former AC pilot, explained that to make money, or break even, a flight has to be at about the 95 % - full point or more. Vancouver - Sydney has been flying at about 65 % load capacity. This is probably true on other long-haul routes as well, which may be why infusions of foreign investment under the new Open Skies agreement may keep them - and other airlines alive.

Yume-sama
May 12, 2009, 4:55 AM
I seem to recall reading that Air Canada's passenger service actually MAKES money, but it's their cargo that BLEEDS them dry and in to such heavy deficits.

But alas, they refuse to give it up.

osirisboy
May 12, 2009, 5:28 AM
umm whats NRT?

Yume-sama
May 12, 2009, 5:43 AM
Narita Airport, Tokyo.

jlousa
May 15, 2009, 7:24 AM
New site launched today, run by yvr shows real time plane locations, decibal levels etc. Great fun to spend some time watching.

http://yvr.webtrak-lochard.com/template/index.html

windscar
May 15, 2009, 8:08 AM
SWEET, nice find, jlousa. Thanks

phesto
May 15, 2009, 4:35 PM
New site launched today, run by yvr shows real time plane locations, decibal levels etc. Great fun to spend some time watching.

Cool find, thanks. Makes you appreciate just how crowded the airspace above the Lower Mainland really is (although I'm sure this pales in comparison to LAX, Heathrow etc)

twoNeurons
May 15, 2009, 5:00 PM
:sly: Someone mentioned to me today that Air Canada is cutting its YVR - NRT route. Is he mis-informed or... is this actually true?

I can't imagine it being true.

Bizarre move, if true. However, isn't there an open skies agreement now between Japan and Canada?

trofirhen
May 15, 2009, 6:03 PM

I watched the site at about 10:30 in the morning, when most of the flights were take offs, in green, with some arrivals, in red approaching from the east to the north runway. Interesting.

What I didn't understand, however, what are the flights in YELLOW? Arrivals or departures? Great find nevertheless, as others have noted. I think we may need a third major runway sooner than we think.

phesto
May 15, 2009, 6:19 PM
What I didn't understand, however, what are the flights in YELLOW? Arrivals or departures?

I think they are local air traffic not taking off or landing at YVR - they all seem to be smaller cessna or floatplanes - ie. Coal Harbour traffic.

s211
May 15, 2009, 7:39 PM
What I didn't understand, however, what are the flights in YELLOW? Arrivals or departures?

UFOs, silly.

SpongeG
May 17, 2009, 8:57 PM
i just saw a plane over burnaby and it didn't show up on that thing

SpongeG
May 17, 2009, 8:59 PM
After recently starting flights to Sydney (not the one in Australia), WestJet has now begun operating new routes to London (not the one in the UK). To complement its existing services to Calgary and Winnipeg the airline has started serving London (YXU) in Ontario from Halifax (YHZ) and Vancouver (YVR). Both routes will be served daily.

http://www.anna.aero/2009/05/15/new-routes-launched-during-the-last-week-9-may-15-may/

nice

NetMapel
May 17, 2009, 9:12 PM
^ Shitty they couldn't do this earlier while I was going to school there (U of Western Ontario). Oh well, good news regardless !

natelox
May 18, 2009, 6:19 AM
i just saw a plane over burnaby and it didn't show up on that thing

There is a ten minute delay for security purposes.

"YVR media relations officer Alana Lawrence said to overcome security concerns relating to commercial flights transmission of flight data was delayed by 10 minutes, by which time the flight was well clear of the area or had landed."
Vancouver Sun (http://www.vancouversun.com/website+lets+track+aircraft+noise+they+make/1599290/story.html)

G-Man
May 19, 2009, 5:20 PM
^ Well I guess that nixes the "real time" part then.

SpongeG
May 19, 2009, 9:30 PM
lol true

ravman
May 29, 2009, 9:51 AM
new observation area opening in Summer

and the best news... its free and BEFORE security

http://www.yvr.ca/pdf/authority/skytalk/skytalk_may2009.pdf

lightrail
May 29, 2009, 11:59 PM
UFOs, silly.

Local traffic transiting the control area - they're all squawking transponder codes and being tracked by ATC

GeeCee
May 30, 2009, 12:19 AM
new observation area opening in Summer

and the best news... its free and BEFORE security

http://www.yvr.ca/pdf/authority/skytalk/skytalk_may2009.pdf

Except the parking still costs an arm and two legs..

Yume-sama
May 30, 2009, 12:39 AM

Canada Line!

GeeCee
May 30, 2009, 12:41 AM
Canada Line!

Wow, I can't believe I forgot about the Canada Line.. :shrug:

Yume-sama
May 31, 2009, 4:43 PM
Heading in to YVR today from Calgary, looking forward to seeing it again. :D

I booked just lastnight, I wonder when airlines stopped horribly gouging last minute travelers? :sly:

twoNeurons
May 31, 2009, 9:46 PM

Good news is that you still have one arm left to reach up to the SkyTrain ticket machine and take the Canada Line in. :D

SpongeG
Jun 1, 2009, 7:59 AM
Heading in to YVR today from Calgary, looking forward to seeing it again. :D

I booked just lastnight, I wonder when airlines stopped horribly gouging last minute travelers? :sly:

last minute was always the best way to get a deal like literally show up at the airport last minute