PDA

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143

trofirhen
Jun 3, 2009, 12:37 AM
The new Link Building looks very airy and beautiful, and now I understand that they're in the middle of building a SECOND Link Building? Is this true?
Which points will it connect? And will it be as large as the existing Link Building?

Also, what about the Pier C expansion? How big will it be, and which airlines / departures will it serve?
If anyone has diagrams, photos, floor plans, or video links, I'd love to see them, because as an ex-Vancouveite living overeas, I am not able to go to the airport and check it out in person.

Plus, I recently filled out a questionnaire about which destinations we'd like, which airlines we'd like to see at YVR, and so forth. Did anyone else? All comments and opinions are of interest.
Thanks, everyone. :)

SpongeG
Jun 3, 2009, 2:02 AM
the other link building is on the other side of security for the domestic terminal i believe

zahav
Jun 3, 2009, 4:50 AM
The new Link Building looks very airy and beautiful, and now I understand that they're in the middle of building a SECOND Link Building? Is this true?
Which points will it connect? And will it be as large as the existing Link Building?

Also, what about the Pier C expansion? How big will it be, and which airlines / departures will it serve?
If anyone has diagrams, photos, floor plans, or video links, I'd love to see them, because as an ex-Vancouveite living overeas, I am not able to go to the airport and check it out in person.

Plus, I recently filled out a questionnaire about which destinations we'd like, which airlines we'd like to see at YVR, and so forth. Did anyone else? All comments and opinions are of interest.
Thanks, everyone. :)

It will be very large, and will have a more open and easy transit between domestic and international. There will also be a special spot for US transfers, above the departures level. It will be multilevel, and have an expanded security area as well.

As for the C-Pier, it will be solely for Air Canada domestic flights. It will add 8 new gates, in a long pier extending from the end of the current C-Pier. It will have a new food court called Alpine Court (a good addition, as there currently is no food court post-security in the domestic side). There will be moving sidewalks, more stores, etc... I have a PDF floor plan, anyone know how I can post this???

jlousa
Jun 3, 2009, 5:17 AM
if it's already online u can just post a link, if not upload it to a service like fileden.

trofirhen
Jun 3, 2009, 7:18 AM
There is a survey issued by the YVR marketing and plannng departments to help determine travellers' preferences in terms of possible future destinations and future airlines serving YVR. The final date is June 15 2009. The link below should work. If not go to the official YVR website, and find it there. It is interesting, and gives you a say in how you want YVR to develop as a destination and airline hub. This gives you the opportunity to say yes or no to possible destinations like Halifax, Philadelpia, Washington DC, Miami,and Dubai, Munich, Paris, Rome, Sao Paolo, Osaka, Melbourne, and more, plus a list of Asian, European and American airlines that might make YVR a destination and hub. This is your official chance to give serious input, so if you read this before June 15, and want to have input into where we're headed as an airport ...... GO FOR IT !!

Here's the link:

http://www.yvr.ca/latestinfo/index.asp?id=564 :bowtie:

usog
Jun 3, 2009, 7:26 AM
Hah, they are interested why everyone is flying out of Bellingham and Seatac, that's pretty amusing. Oh and I would loooooooooooove to see Cathay Pacific here.

Yume-sama
Jun 3, 2009, 7:30 AM
I was in C today unfortunately. I have no idea why my flight to Calgary was at C52, and a flight to Toronto was at C51.

A whole hell of a walk away from the rest of the flights, and under some serious construction.

Air Canada spreading out... preemptively!

The moving sidewalks weren't even on :(

trofirhen
Jun 3, 2009, 8:07 AM
Hah, they are interested why everyone is flying out of Bellingham and Seatac, that's pretty amusing. Oh and I would loooooooooooove to see Cathay Pacific here.

Doesn't Cathay Pacific already serve Vancouver? It did when I was there. Or has it pulled out, too, like Qantas, and Singapore Airlines?

:koko:

usog
Jun 3, 2009, 8:10 AM
Doesn't Cathay Pacific already serve Vancouver? It did when I was there. Or has it pulled out, too, like Qantas, and Singapore Airlines?

:koko:

You're right, I was thinking of ANA >.>" Dunno how the hell I made that kind of mistake, maaaaybe it's time for some sleep. Honestly, ANA would make life easier, being star alliance and all. JAL doesn't work nearly as well when booking multiple-destinations with Air Canada =\

twoNeurons
Jun 3, 2009, 5:16 PM
I second ANA. I'd love to see ANA bring the YVR-KIX route back. They're one of the first to get the 787.

Yume-sama
Jun 3, 2009, 5:57 PM
Waaah! (yes I just audibly whined). JAL is nearly 50% off right now for Summer travel from YVR.

But I can't go :(

Business class is usually $4500 - $5200... now $2600 round trip.

LeftCoaster
Jun 3, 2009, 6:06 PM
Link please!?

Yume-sama
Jun 3, 2009, 6:12 PM
http://www.ar.jal.com/en/ :P

No special code necessary, it's a regular fare today.

All flights within Japan are heavily discounted, now, too (up to 73%) as part of their "Sakitoku Advanced Ticket Sale"
http://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/waribiki/sakitoku.html

Gordon
Jun 3, 2009, 6:50 PM
Gates C\D 50 -52 are flex gates that are generally used by by AC and sometimes by Westjet

I would suspect in July when the C Pier expansion opens Air Canada will only use Pier C.

Yume-sama
Jun 4, 2009, 12:04 AM
:cool: I just re-booked my flights with JAL for September at the new rate. They charged me $160 to change, but I save over $3300 USD for two people :D

And I'm still going to complain about the fee and hopefully get it waived. :frog:

Now's a great time to book for a Japan visit, supposedly it is a 7 day sale that ends this weekend. :yes:

Now to re-book my hotel as it is now $100 cheaper per night. The economy must be doing a number on these guys...

trofirhen
Jun 4, 2009, 3:17 AM
Hi neighbours

Pardon me again with one of my little "causes," but given the tight-assed politicians in Ottawa who (as everyone knows) hog everything for Toronto,
it IS important to give feedback to YVR. The marketing department there is fighting to get new routes and airlines, and when I have phoned them up to address an issue, they express the same frustrations as we do about lost airlines, routes that never materialize, and so forth. Please .... help them out and take that little quiz. Don't let us live in the Shadow of Seattle.... (unless that's what you want)

http://www.yvr.ca/latestinfo/index.asp?id=564 :tup:

Yume-sama
Jun 4, 2009, 3:35 AM
Filled it out!

SpongeG
Jun 4, 2009, 3:59 AM
done

Gordon
Jun 4, 2009, 4:06 AM
did it.

zivan56
Jun 4, 2009, 4:17 AM
Why doesn't the goverment just sign open skies agreements with every friendly country? Then routes don't need to be negotiated between governments.
At least they are slowly getting there...the one with the EU was finalized (and partially implemented?) last month. It basically allows any European airline to fly to any Canadian airport without restrictions (except for multiple Canadian cities).

trofirhen
Jun 4, 2009, 5:05 AM
Why doesn't the goverment just sign open skies agreements with every friendly country? Then routes don't need to be negotiated between governments.
At least they are slowly getting there...the one with the EU was finalized (and partially implemented?) last month. It basically allows any European airline to fly to any Canadian airport without restrictions (except for multiple Canadian cities).

Sorry, what do you mean when you say they can't fly to "multiple" Canadian cities? Does that mean every flight between a Canadian city and a European one must be a non-stop? Or that only one city-pair is allowed? I'm not sure what that means. Sorry. Could you give an example, Zivan? Thanks.

:)

jlousa
Jun 4, 2009, 5:21 AM
Normally what it means is if a flight goes Vancouver-Toronto-Paris via Air France for instance, they are not allowed to transport someone from Vancouver-Toronto, all Vancouver passengers must continue onto Paris, this is to protect the local carriers. Not sure if that is what is being referred to though.

mezzanine
Jun 4, 2009, 6:36 AM
Filled it out. It was an odd survey - lots of different choices of destinations; dont know how much pull YVR will have with the results.

For the record, I chose miami and brazil - this will greatly expand travel option to south america. Paris would be nice, but luftansa hubbing thru frankfurt will take you already to a lot of places in europe, and you can get par aeroplan miles! (ditto BA thru london, but no aeroplan and heathrow sucks!)

trofirhen
Jun 4, 2009, 9:33 AM
Filled it out. It was an odd survey - lots of different choices of destinations; dont know how much pull YVR will have with the results.

For the record, I chose miami and brazil - this will greatly expand travel option to south america. Paris would be nice, but luftansa hubbing thru frankfurt will take you already to a lot of places in europe, and you can get par aeroplan miles! (ditto BA thru london, but no aeroplan and heathrow sucks!)

I also picked Miami and Sao Paolo, for the same reasons you did. I did choose Paris, however, because changing planes at airports is such a hassle. The last time I went through that way, I had to wait five hours in Frankfurt.

zahav
Jun 5, 2009, 2:17 AM
Gates C\D 50 -52 are flex gates that are generally used by by AC and sometimes by Westjet

I would suspect in July when the C Pier expansion opens Air Canada will only use Pier C.

Actually C-50, 51, and 52 are called swing gates, because they can operate as either domestic or international. The reason airlines such as Air Canada use these gates isn't because of capacity restraints in the C-Pier, but rather because of aircraft cycling. For instance, Air Canada flies Boeing 767s on many of its Toronto-Vancouver flights, but these aircraft do not always turn around and do the same route again, they can then be used for flights to Asia, Europe, etc... For example, a flight from Toronto on a 767 could arrive at 9:30, go into gate C-50 (to allow passengers to deplane in the domestic wing), and then at 12:00, depart from the same gate to Seoul, as a secured international flight. Similarly, if Westjet has a Vegas arrival, they need to park at an international gate to allow passengers to clear customs (for arrivals, it doesn't matter if it is international or transborder); if it was parked at a swing gate (D50 on the arrival), that same aircraft can then fly to Calgary, as the departure will be at a domestic gate (c50). That's the real reason for the swing gates, it allows airlines to arrive/depart to different areas without having to tow the aircraft to a purely domestic or international gate.

I hope that made sense, lol..

Yume-sama
Jun 5, 2009, 2:22 AM
It was a small little A319 that I was on. I think they just put it there to make me burn a few extra calories. :frog:

Gordon
Jun 5, 2009, 2:22 AM
Thanks I came in on a Westjet flight from palm Sprigs & landed there .

They also swing gates 70 - 77 between international & Cross border as traffic requires

SpongeG
Jun 5, 2009, 5:33 AM
whats the timeline for the eastern expansion?

red-paladin
Jun 5, 2009, 6:36 AM
How many gates can service the A380s?
I can't wait to ride one, I don't care if I have to take a flight to Abu Dhabi

Gordon
Jun 5, 2009, 2:18 PM
I think 2 of the gates on the west Checron can handle the A 380 Probably D 58 & 64

officedweller
Jun 10, 2009, 9:07 PM
Global Air shots:

http://www.globalairphotos.com/gallery/BC/Richmond/Airport

May 23rd YVR shots:
http://www.globalairphotos.com/images/bc/richmond/2009/rhh2009_109.jpg

http://www.globalairphotos.com/images/bc/richmond/2009/rhh2009_105.jpg

http://www.globalairphotos.com/images/bc/richmond/2009/rhh2009_102.jpg

excel
Jun 10, 2009, 11:25 PM
Nice!

GeeCee
Jun 11, 2009, 12:14 AM
Is that a Canada Line train on the track in the third image? Or am I just delusional?

Gordon
Jun 11, 2009, 12:42 AM
There's definitely a Canada Line train in the 3rd photo. The 3 gates on the NE Corner or the expansion look to be extremely close together. it almost looks that they migh not all be able to be used at once?

trofirhen
Jun 11, 2009, 12:50 AM
Global Air shots:

http://www.globalairphotos.com/gallery/BC/Richmond/Airport

May 23rd YVR shots:
http://www.globalairphotos.com/images/bc/richmond/2009/rhh2009_109.jpg
;)
Thanks again for the comprehensive pictures. They leave three questions in my mind:
1. What will it all be like inside when it gets finished?
2. Is that nearly-empty parking lot with the big puddle at the end of the West Chevron also due for development?
3. Whatever happened to sad old Pier B? It looks as if it got left behind totally.

twoNeurons
Jun 11, 2009, 1:56 AM
How many gates can service the A380s?
I can't wait to ride one, I don't care if I have to take a flight to Abu Dhabi

I'm waiting for the 787. The A380 is a bigger bus. The 787 sounds like it will actually be a more comfy ride. I'm all for Greyhound over Articulated, if you know what I mean.

Gordon
Jun 11, 2009, 2:13 AM
Phase B of the West Chevron will be in that location . It will have 6 gates

Pier B will be upgraded next but with the economy that could be a while. Once Air Canada Consolidates in pier C Pier B will be very quiet only the odd West Jet flight at this point.

trofirhen
Jun 12, 2009, 12:05 AM
Here in Western Canada, particularly Vancouver, we often complain at how Air Toronto rigs things to protect itself in a so-called Open Market. Here's a juicy little example example of the tight-assed hypocrisy that limits some airlines from increasing their frequencies to Vancouver, and even to Toronto itself.

If you have time, click on this link and read what this AIR CANADA (what else) representative has to say about foreign airlines entering Canada. You might either laugh with cynicism, or grit your teeth in anger.
:hell:

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20090611/BUSINESS/706119949/1137

:haha:

Gordon
Jun 12, 2009, 7:27 PM
Very interesting article , it makes you wonder how much Asian & European business YVR has lost.

SpongeG
Jun 12, 2009, 10:48 PM
it happens in all countries though - other than maybe the states - most countries protect their domestic routes

Millennium2002
Jun 16, 2009, 11:49 PM
Not entirely. The EU has pushed for liberalization in inter EU routes.

The main fear of governments of course is being dominated by another country and their businesses. For example Canada would probably not like it if UAE-based Emirates started to take over a majority of international and domestic routes in Canada. International routes for sure could be liberalized and there can be healthy competition there between Air Canada and other international carriers, but with the domestic market Canadian airlines or Canadian-majority-owned joint ventures I think should keep operating those services.

SpongeG
Jun 16, 2009, 11:55 PM
B.C. flights cancelled as Russian volcano erupts

VANCOUVER — An eight-kilometre-high cloud of ash, spewing from a remote Russian volcano, forced three flights from Vancouver to Asia to be cancelled Monday.

"There were a total of three round-trip flights that were affected," said Air Canada spokeswoman Angela Mah.

"They were the Vancouver-to-Tokyo, Vancouver-to-Shanghai and Vancouver-to-Seoul flights."

She said the airline is taking it "one day at a time" but has been "re-accommodating" passengers on flights to Hong Kong, which are unaffected.

Mah said Air Canada doesn't yet know what will happen Tuesday and will re-evaluate flights later Tuesday night or Wednesday.

"It depends on the volcano activity and the winds," she said.

"We have also given customers the option of cancelling and travelling at a future date with no penalty. Our customers can contact their travel agents or Air Canada reservations to make those changes."

The eruption of Russia's Sarychev Peak, on uninhabited Matua Island in the north Pacific Ocean, began overnight Thursday and is still underway, according to the RIA-Novosti news agency.

The massive ash cloud spread 310 kilometres to the west, said Olga Shestakova, a spokeswoman for the Marine Geology and Geophysics Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences.

"Information on the eruption has been sent to organizations dealing with the safety of airplanes and ships, as the ash cloud presents a threat to airplane engines and may lead to communications systems failures," said Shestakova.

Sarychev Peak is one of the most active volcanoes on the Kuril Islands, a seismically active archipelago that runs northeast from Japan's Hokkaido Island to Russia's Kamchatka Peninsula.

Eruptions have been recorded for more than 200 years, ranging from relatively calm lava flows to explosive blasts.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Smoke+from+Russian+volcano+delay+Vancouver+flights/1698599/story.html

SpongeG
Jun 16, 2009, 11:56 PM
More flights to Asia cancelled as volcano erupts

An eight-kilometre-high cloud of ash, spewing from a remote Russian volcano, forced three flights from Vancouver International Airport to Asia to be cancelled Monday.

"There were a total of three round trip flights that were affected," said Air Canada spokeswoman Angela Mah.

"They were the Vancouver-to-Tokyo, Vancouver-to-Shanghai and Vancouver-to-Seoul flights."

And on Tuesday, YVR's website noted an Air Canada flight to Beijing was cancelled, as were Air Canada and Asiana Airlines flights to Incheon, South Korea.

She said the airline is taking it "one day at a time" but has been "re-accommodating" passengers on flights to Hong Kong, which are unaffected.

Mah said Air Canada doesn't yet know what will happen Tuesday and will re-evaluate flights later Tuesday night or Wednesday.

"It depends on the volcano activity and the winds," she said.

"We have also given customers the option of cancelling and traveling at a future date with no penalty. Our customers can contact their travel agents or Air Canada reservations to make those changes."

The eruption of Sarychev Peak, on uninhabited Matua Island, part of the Kuril Islands archipelago in the north Pacific Ocean, began overnight Thursday and is still underway, according to the RIA-Novosti news agency.

The massive ash cloud spread 310 kilometres to the west, said Olga Shestakova, a spokeswoman for the Marine Geology and Geophysics Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences.

“Information on the eruption has been sent to organisations dealing with the safety of airplanes and ships, as the ash cloud presents a threat to airplane engines and may lead to communications systems failures,” said Shestakova.

Sarychev Peak is one of the most active volcanos on the Kuril Islands, a seismically active archipelago that runs northeast from Japan’s Hokkaido Island to Russia’s Kamchatka Peninsula.

Eruptions have been recorded for more than 200 years, ranging from relatively calm lava flows to explosive blasts.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Flights+Asia+cancelled+volcano+erupts/1698498/story.html

metroXpress
Jun 17, 2009, 1:14 AM
^ heard about that...pretty sad :(

Canadian Mind
Jun 17, 2009, 1:43 AM
Nothing can be done about it, unless you want several aeronautical disasters.

Yume-sama
Jun 17, 2009, 2:04 AM
Too bad, but I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more often.

mr.x
Jun 17, 2009, 6:50 AM
Nothing really sad about....what would be sad is if they didn't cancel and decided to go ahead as planned, and even worse if something happened in mid-air. Volcanic ash is quite fatal for planes with jet engines.

Millennium2002
Jun 17, 2009, 8:59 AM
There was an incident where a plane passed under such an ash cloud and was barely able to limp out and land in Southeast Asia.

If Air Canada wanted to though they could have done the "long" way across via a third place (e.g. Hawaii) although that would cost much more in fuel.

- Allan Kuan

vanman
Jun 17, 2009, 10:57 AM
^Watched that on the discovery channel as well eh?

phesto
Jun 17, 2009, 7:04 PM
I thought this was a joke at first:

Air Canada says it will allow pets in cabin starting in July

By THE CANADIAN PRESS – 1 hour ago

MONTREAL — Air Canada says it will allow passengers to bring their cat or small dog in the cabin on flights beginning in two weeks - for $100 on a domestic return trip and $200 for overseas trips.

Beginning July 1, travellers can bring a limited number of small dogs and cats as carry-on items that can be stowed under the seat on flights by Air Canada and its Jazz Air affiliate, the carrier said Wednesday.

The Montreal airline said passengers will have to register the pet with the airline and pay a service fee of $50 for domestic and transborder trips and $100 for international flights each way.

Currently pets are kept in carriers in Air Canada planes' baggage hold and can't be brought into the cabin.

"This is the latest of our customer friendly initiatives that underscores our renewed commitment to listening to our customers and offering a competitive product that meets their needs," Ben Smith, executive vice-president and chief commercial officer at Air Canada, said in a release.

To deal with needs of passengers with allergies, the number of small pets in the cabin will be limited to a maximum of two or four depending on the type of aircraft, Air Canada said.

Air Canada said that to ensure availability customers are asked to register their pet by contacting the company's reservations desk at 1-888-247-2262 within 24 hours of completing their booking.

metroXpress
Jun 17, 2009, 7:47 PM
of course this is the correct move....I'm sad that the volcano erupted and caused so many different problems

Yume-sama
Jun 17, 2009, 8:30 PM
:frog: Apparently some people are being re-routed through LAX. That's kind of strange.

You'd assume YVR and LAX would have a pretty similar flight path.

And flights out of Toronto aren't being effected. You'd also assume they'd have to fly in about the same area eventually.

Canadian Mind
Jun 17, 2009, 9:07 PM
Small dogs?

If someones chewawa starts yapping at me, I'm going to snap it's neck.

twoNeurons
Jun 17, 2009, 9:18 PM
Small dogs?

If someones chewawa starts yapping at me, I'm going to snap it's neck.

If there's a problem, doesn't the crew have access to the hold. I can't help but think this will be a problem (unless they bring animal tranquilizers on board).

It's a great initiative, don't get me wrong, but I hope they've thought it through and have contingencies if things go wrong... Animals puking, etc.

phesto
Jun 17, 2009, 9:27 PM
If there's a problem, doesn't the crew have access to the hold. I can't help but think this will be a problem (unless they bring animal tranquilizers on board).

It's a great initiative, don't get me wrong, but I hope they've thought it through and have contingencies if things go wrong... Animals puking, etc.

My mild cat allergy aside, I think it's a horrible initiative. Sitting next to a whining baby is bad enough, but a yapping dog? I appreciate Air Canada's attempt to reach out to possessive pet owners with whom this has obviously been an issue, but in the end I suspect it will piss off more people than it pleases (not to mention medium to large size dog owners). And they're charging them anyway, so why not just leave them in the hold?!? Of course, AC isn't the first airline to implement this policy (AA, Southwest, etc) but a lot of the feedback has been negative to date, so the decision to implement it in Canada is perplexing.

As if people need another reason not to fly AC...:koko:

Yume-sama
Jun 19, 2009, 8:40 PM
Anybody allergic is supposed to point this out at the time of check-in, beginning July 1st. Though according to Air Canada's own website, you have to prove you are deathly allergic. :haha:

Mild irritation is normal for an Air Canada flight, but they aren't really looking to kill people. :yes:

Though judging from how we took off almost sideways in Tokyo, you sometimes wonder.

Anyways, animal spots are limited to 3 or 4 per flight, and is unlikely to be on even 20% of the flights.

Now what would really freak me out is if they started allowing Monkey Helpers on the airplanes like the USA does:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1056.shtm

^ Reading the section about them made me laugh.

Maersk
Jun 24, 2009, 4:48 PM
I just heard AC ground crew got the contract to handle all of Cathay's flights at YVR, although this happened a while ago. That's huge. So much has changed since I worked there. Anyone know who handles which airlines now? (Servisair, Worldwide, Swiss Port, Air Canada, etc)

Gordon
Jun 24, 2009, 5:18 PM
Has anyone heard when the Pier C Expansion officially opens, and whether YVR has any plans to upgrade the B Pier which is the oldest part of the airport?

vanman
Jun 24, 2009, 7:48 PM
There's no way I'll ever fly Air Canada again if this is their new policy towards pets. I'm deathly allergic to all different kinds of animals and I get really bad asthma around cats and dogs. Seems like Air Canada is planning their own demise.

twoNeurons
Jun 24, 2009, 8:11 PM
@vanman:

I recommend avoiding WestJet. They have had this same pet policy for years... so if you want to travel within Canada... Via Rail perhaps?

zivan56
Jun 24, 2009, 8:28 PM
There's no way I'll ever fly Air Canada again if this is their new policy towards pets. I'm deathly allergic to all different kinds of animals and I get really bad asthma around cats and dogs. Seems like Air Canada is planning their own demise.

What is the difference if the pets are below you or to your side? Now, they are just kept right under your feet, and are seperated by metal panels that make up the passenger cabin floor (with no air seal). Ever since smoking was banned on flights, most of the air inside is recirculated...I doubt the filters catch anything smaller than a hair. So it doesn't really matter unless the animal gets out and starts jumping on you.
I don't like pets in the passenger cabin due to the potential for some mutt barking during the whole flight right next to my year. However, I also don't like children on board for the same reason :haha:

zahav
Jun 25, 2009, 3:53 AM
As of right now, the C-Pier expansion is still scheduled for opening on Sep. 1... however, it maybe earlier, progress has been quite fast

Gordon
Jun 25, 2009, 4:29 AM
At one point the may AGM presentation was on the website and one of the parts was from the head of engineering said pier C would be ready for the busy Summer season.

Yume-sama
Jun 25, 2009, 7:38 AM
@vanman:

I recommend avoiding WestJet. They have had this same pet policy for years... so if you want to travel within Canada... Via Rail perhaps?

Via Rail allows pets... :P

zahav
Jun 26, 2009, 3:07 AM
At one point the may AGM presentation was on the website and one of the parts was from the head of engineering said pier C would be ready for the busy Summer season.

you're probably right it will be open earlier, but the airport authority themselves aren't officially announcing it.. I think they are afraid if they build up too much hope of a fast opening (ie.. next couple of weeks for the start of the 'busy summer season') and don't make it, they will look bad. if they keep it at september, and then open early ahead of schedukle, they will look good. i personally think it will open earlier, becuase i know for a fact they are just putting the finishing touches on it (ie.. interior signs, final paint, etc...) they shoulld be open earlier than september

Gordon
Jun 26, 2009, 3:35 AM
It may be the on or before type of thing that Intransit BC did with the Canada Line.
The opening of this expansion will certainly leave the B Pier pretty empty wont it.

Canadian Mind
Jun 26, 2009, 11:53 AM
Via Rail allows pets... :P

I've never been on a westjet flight where people bought pets aboard.

yesheh
Jun 26, 2009, 3:38 PM
I flew into B pier yesterday and from what I could tell C-pier looked just about ready to be opened - aka they had none of the airside barriers up anymore etc etc. Coming into the baggage terminal was a nightmare though - i thought I was back in Eastern Europe or something - the narrow escalator? It's been a while since I've flow into Vancouver domestic...

Yume-sama
Jun 26, 2009, 4:00 PM

:yes: I have never been on a flight with any airline with a pet in the cabin, that I know of.

I saw one the other day going in to cargo, but even that's a bit rare. :frog:

vanman
Jun 26, 2009, 9:46 PM

Neither have I.

zahav
Jun 27, 2009, 2:02 AM
We might be in for an early opening after all. The Link II building (which essntially is the gatewat to the C-Pier, as well as connecting domestic and international) is opening now through July 25th. some sections are already open, with the last phase (completion of the new security entrance/escreening area for C-Pier) opening July 25th. There will still be some work on the public side of the Link II, integarting with the existing terminal, but the post-security side will be all complete. so this is a good sign for an early C-Pier opening :)

Vancouver_Highrise
Jun 27, 2009, 6:55 AM
Hopefully it's open by the time I leave or come back from Toronto.
July 21st to August 14th. If it is i'll get some pics:tup:

eemy
Jun 28, 2009, 11:28 PM

Most airlines don't have buy-on-board animals. ;)

Canadian Mind
Jun 28, 2009, 11:32 PM
Most airlines don't have buy-on-board animals. ;)

You never know what's in those snack packs.

Yume-sama
Jun 28, 2009, 11:46 PM
:yes: I have never been on a flight with any airline with a pet in the cabin, that I know of.

I saw one the other day going in to cargo, but even that's a bit rare. :frog:

And no sooner do I say this, I see two dogs on my flight in cabin to Calgary from Vancouver with Westjet yesterday afternoon. :whip:

Canadian Mind
Jun 28, 2009, 11:56 PM
And no sooner do I say this, I see two dogs on my flight in cabin to Calgary from Vancouver with Westjet yesterday afternoon. :whip:

How was the flight?

Millennium2002
Jun 29, 2009, 3:08 AM
can someone provide an update to YVR? I'd highly appreciate it. Thanks.
- Allan Kuan

Yume-sama
Jun 29, 2009, 3:43 AM
How was the flight?

:yes: A little bumpy and I swear we came close to overshooting the runway. We landed far later than normal, and only came to a stop at the end, rather than middle. I've been in 747's that stopped far sooner. :yuck: But... I'm guessing you were wanting to know about the pets... :haha:... I didn't even know they were on until I saw them going off. Certainly quieter than the baby infront of me. :shrug:

lightrail
Jun 29, 2009, 4:37 AM
:yes: A little bumpy and I swear we came close to overshooting the runway. We landed far later than normal, and only came to a stop at the end, rather than middle. I've been in 747's that stopped far sooner. :yuck: But... I'm guessing you were wanting to know about the pets... :haha:... I didn't even know they were on until I saw them going off. Certainly quieter than the baby infront of me. :shrug:

Sometimes ATC asks smaller planes, like a 737, to "land long"; this allows a following aircraft to follow closer and get on the runway sooner.

Canadian Mind
Jun 29, 2009, 4:40 AM

I trust westjet even when they are putting me on a patch of dirt. The way they fly make me think they are cowboys, but they've never failed to put me down in one piece, compared to everytime I'm on AC where I'm bouncing side-side on landing.

Yume-sama
Jun 29, 2009, 5:01 AM
Sometimes ATC asks smaller planes, like a 737, to "land long"; this allows a following aircraft to follow closer and get on the runway sooner.

Ahh, that could have been what happened. But I was a little concerned when I saw us sailing down the runway far beyond the normal spot. It reminded me of when I play FSX and fail to actually land the plane every single time :haha:

I trust westjet even when they are putting me on a patch of dirt. The way they fly make me think they are cowboys, but they've never failed to put me down in one piece, compared to everytime I'm on AC where I'm bouncing side-side on landing.

This is true... but as far as scary takeoffs / landings go Westjet and Air Canada are tied for me. An Air Canada flight from Tokyo - Vancouver was nightmarish from start (taking off damn near sideways on the runway, running out of food by the time they got to my row, broken tray table, broken TV, exposed wiring under the seat infront of me, bad flight attendants who freaked out in some severe turbulence yelling "EVERYBODY SEATBELTS, NOW!") to finish. And a Westjet flight from Los Angeles - Calgary, when it landed the plane veered violently to the right (the left wheel obviously was not touching the ground), causing some people to scream. The pilot came on apologizing for the "hard landing" :banana:

usog
Jun 29, 2009, 5:49 AM
Man, Air Canada might just have it in for you. I've *never* had a bad landing/takeoff from Vancouver, and the landings at HKG was smooth as silk. The takeoffs from NRT weren't bad either when I took AC. Dunno, just be happy you ain't flying Air China XD

lightrail
Jun 29, 2009, 6:00 AM
Ahh, that could have been what happened. But I was a little concerned when I saw us sailing down the runway far beyond the normal spot. It reminded me of when I play FSX and fail to actually land the plane every single time :haha:

This is true... but as far as scary takeoffs / landings go Westjet and Air Canada are tied for me. An Air Canada flight from Tokyo - Vancouver was nightmarish from start (taking off damn near sideways on the runway, running out of food by the time they got to my row, broken tray table, broken TV, exposed wiring under the seat infront of me, bad flight attendants who freaked out in some severe turbulence yelling "EVERYBODY SEATBELTS, NOW!") to finish. And a Westjet flight from Los Angeles - Calgary, when it landed the plane veered violently to the right (the left wheel obviously was not touching the ground), causing some people to scream. The pilot came on apologizing for the "hard landing" :banana:

It happens. The winds are never perfect along the runway. Maximum cross-wind for a safe landing is around 15 knots. It only takes a little gust on landing to be noticed. If the wind is a crosswind, the plane has to "crab" in - that is the nose points into the wind and the plane flys slightly sideways towards the runway - then just before touchdown, usually in ground-effect, the nose needs to be brought to runway heading before the wheels touch. This is the "jerk" you'll feel sometimes.

BTW - in some aircraft, such as the 737 (not sure if this is true for the NG, but certainly the older models, the apparent hard bump of the wheels onto the runway is necessary, as it activates the speed brakes and reverse thrusters

I've had my share of fun times over the years:

1. Some sort of yellow fluid leaking along the outside of an engine on a 737-200 (Canadian Pacific flight to Winnipeg from Edmonton)

2. Long delay for take-off at blizzard bound Montreal Mirabel due to a reverse thruster failure on landing earlier (British Airways 747) - we were the last plane off before the airport closed due to weather

3. Almost clipped the outboard starboard engine on landing at London Heathrow due to a strong crosswinds causing the plane to tilt to the right (British Airways 747 - same flight as above BTW)

4. Missed approach and go around and then a high-speed landing with no flaps and emergency vehicles chasing us at Edmonton because of a flaps failure (L-1011-500 Air Canada)

5. Landing on runway ice at Toronto in a DC-9 causing the plane to swerve all over the runway

6. Hitting a bird on approach to Calgary causing a delay in departure - no damage thankfully (Pacific Western 737)

7. Fire on the GPU cable while still connected to the aircraft - Twin Otter seaplane - West Coast Air at Victoria Harbour.

lightrail
Jun 29, 2009, 6:10 AM

Gotta comment on this. In Canada and North America generally, ATC bring planes down reasonably early and gently to their crossing altitudes. I've noticed in Europe that the descents are much steeper to the crossing altitude, and it seems over there the crossing is closer to the airport, giving less time and tighter vectors for approach.

I'm not sure if this is still true, but most of North America has an indicated airspeed limit of 250 knots below 10,000 ft, mainly to slow planes for spacing and safety. Vancouver doesn't have this speed restriction (again, I believe Transport Canada is going to impose one here soon, if not already) - so on approach to VYR and on departure from YVR aircraft can come screaming in at their cruising speed, only slowing when asked by ATC.

Having said that, lately I've seen no difference in WestJet and Air Canada - the pilots do just as good a job regardless.

Yume-sama
Jun 29, 2009, 7:20 PM
Having said that, lately I've seen no difference in WestJet and Air Canada - the pilots do just as good a job regardless.

Agreed, the pilots are all professionals who are good at their jobs. There is a noticeable difference with the rest of the staff, though. :cool: I've been taking Air Canada more lately, as their in flight amenities have greatly improved and are better than Westjet. I am still weary about taking a flight longer than 3 hours with them, even if they have gotten a new plane on their NRT - YVR route, and retired the old Airbus that was falling apart.

zahav
Jun 30, 2009, 2:09 AM
The following are some images of the Link II, taken about 1 month ago
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/IMG00006.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/June1209008.jpg
Here are some of the very-near completion C-Pier
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/IMG00014.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/IMG00015.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/IMG00017.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/IMG00025.jpg
nice to have some more moving sidewalks
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/IMG00026.jpg
The new food court with Vera's, such a good choice! :)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/IMG00028.jpg

zahav
Jul 1, 2009, 4:14 AM
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/IMG00142.jpg

excel
Jul 1, 2009, 4:22 AM
looks good.

deasine
Jul 1, 2009, 4:27 AM
Zahav, do you know where the Bread Garden is opening up? Is it in the Alpine Court?

zahav
Jul 1, 2009, 4:43 AM
i think so, i wikll have to ask my co-workers, but i think it is...

trofirhen
Jul 1, 2009, 11:15 AM
Some weeks back, there was an airport-sponsored quiz about which destinations travellers from YVR would like to see served by non-stop flights.
The results may be surprising to you, or perhaps not, but they were forwarded to me directly by a member of the YVR Marketing Management team, who will be presenting them at a conference in September to try to get at least the most desired destinations served. The results speak for themselves.
Dubai ------- 8.5%
Osaka ------ 7.4%
Delhi ------- 7.2%
Bangkok --- 6.6%
Munich ----- 5.9%
Zurich ------ 5.3%
Sao Paolo -- 5.0%
Guangzhou - 4.0%
Glasgow ---- 3.9%
Manchester- 3.7%
Nagoya ----- 2.2%
Dusseldorf --2.0%

SpongeG
Jul 1, 2009, 5:42 PM
veras!

PAris!

usog
Jul 2, 2009, 3:29 AM
I *seriously* doubt any of the flights on that list that go eastward will happen. Toronto+co will lobby long and hard to make sure it doesn't. The Asian destinations are more realistic.

twoNeurons
Jul 2, 2009, 6:41 AM
Some weeks back, there was an airport-sponsored quiz about which destinations travellers from YVR would like to see served by non-stop flights.
The results may be surprising to you, or perhaps not, but they were forwarded to me directly by a member of the YVR Marketing Management team, who will be presenting them at a conference in September to try to get at least the most desired destinations served. The results speak for themselves.
Dubai ------- 8.5%
Osaka ------ 7.4%
Delhi ------- 7.2%
Bangkok --- 6.6%
Munich ----- 5.9%
Zurich ------ 5.3%
Sao Paolo -- 5.0%
Guangzhou - 4.0%
Glasgow ---- 3.9%
Manchester- 3.7%
Nagoya ----- 2.2%
Dusseldorf --2.0%

No surprise about Paris. I don't remember Osaka being on the list... I think you had to type it in... maybe I'm wrong on that though. I'm a little surprised it's as high as it is. It's higher than Indian cities and Ghangzhou, which I figured would be higher, given the large populations of those nationalities (then again, how many of them knew about the survey)

Yume-sama
Jul 2, 2009, 6:54 AM
People are probably just bitter Air Canada canceled their service to Osaka :P

I expect it *could* come back.

The only other possibilities I see on that are... Paris, Bangkok, Delhi, and Guangzhou. Dubai and mixed European locations are not likely to happen.

trofirhen
Jul 2, 2009, 9:20 AM
I *seriously* doubt any of the flights on that list that go eastward will happen. Toronto+co will lobby long and hard to make sure it doesn't. The Asian destinations are more realistic.

Formerly, this would have been absolutely true. Now, however, under the Canada - EU Open Skies agreement signed in Prague in May, any airline in the EU which perceives a potential market in any Canadian city is allowed to fly there without restrictions. This changes the rules of the game totally between Canada and the EU. Regarding Dubai and other destinations, the feds still have authority over that, and are (in classical fashion) hogging all the flights for Toronto. As for Osaka, it WAS on the list, and additionally, was formerly served from Vancouver up until several years ago. I did not "add it in," as one reader suggested.

Hourglass
Jul 2, 2009, 2:00 PM
Formerly, this would have been absolutely true. Now, however, under the Canada - EU Open Skies agreement signed in Prague in May, any airline in the EU which perceives a potential market in any Canadian city is allowed to fly there without restrictions. This changes the rules of the game totally between Canada and the EU. Regarding Dubai and other destinations, the feds still have authority over that, and are (in classical fashion) hogging all the flights for Toronto. As for Osaka, it WAS on the list, and additionally, was formerly served from Vancouver up until several years ago. I did not "add it in," as one reader suggested.

Unfortunately, with the exception of Paris and Delhi, I would question the commercial viability for airlines to serve most of the cities on this wish-list from YVR. Air Canada used to fly to Osaka and Nagoya and subsequently dropped these routes. Lufthansa tried Munich during the peak summer season a few years ago and never brought the route back.

Vancouver just isn't big enough -- either in terms of population or business activity -- to support an O&D market to many cities. So either it acts as a transit point to funnel traffic to onward destinations (but Air Toronto -- er, I mean Air Canada -- doesn't seem to be growing YVR as a hub) or other airlines will collect passengers from YVR and other airports to their own hubs. The reality is that all of the cities listed here are one stop away via another city.

Gordon
Jul 3, 2009, 3:13 AM
It seems that the C-Pier Expansion opens tomorrow. some gates are being used Soft opening.

zahav
Jul 4, 2009, 2:07 AM
That's right, here's another sneak preview
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/th_July209001.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/?action=view&current=July209001.jpg)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/th_June3009012.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/?action=view&current=June3009012.jpg)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/th_June3009013.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/?action=view&current=June3009013.jpg)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/th_June3009014.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/?action=view&current=June3009014.jpg)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/th_June3009015.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/?action=view&current=June3009015.jpg)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/th_June3009016.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/?action=view&current=June3009016.jpg)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/th_June3009017.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/?action=view&current=June3009017.jpg)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/th_June3009018.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/?action=view&current=June3009018.jpg)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/th_June3009019.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/?action=view&current=June3009019.jpg)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/th_June3009020.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/?action=view&current=June3009020.jpg)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/th_June3009021.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/?action=view&current=June3009021.jpg)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/th_June3009022.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/?action=view&current=June3009022.jpg)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/th_June3009023.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/?action=view&current=June3009023.jpg)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/th_June3009024.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/?action=view&current=June3009024.jpg)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/th_June3009025.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/?action=view&current=June3009025.jpg)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/th_June3009026.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/?action=view&current=June3009026.jpg)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/th_June3009027.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/?action=view&current=June3009027.jpg)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/th_June3009028.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/?action=view&current=June3009028.jpg)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/th_June3009029.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/?action=view&current=June3009029.jpg)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/th_June3009030.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/zahav84/?action=view&current=June3009030.jpg)
All photos taken by my co-workers, who are working on the project

zahav
Jul 4, 2009, 2:07 AM
oops, sorry for the small size... i must have shrank them when i uploaded.. you can click on each to make bigger