PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136

officedweller
Apr 6, 2006, 7:14 PM
The Province has a bad rendering of the elevated taxiway in today's paper.

mr.x
Apr 9, 2006, 4:37 AM
Terminal expansion options. NOTE OPTIONS T-4, T-5, AND T-9
http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/4085/yvr23me.jpg

And the CANADA LINE would directly serve options T-4, T-5, and T-9......just like a airport people mover (only that frequency would be slower than a airport people mover).
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/1314/yvrfuture8gl.jpg

SSLL
Apr 9, 2006, 2:15 PM
Why would the airport need 9 terminals? Couldn't they just make less, but larger terminals? Why is there a terminal 4 already but no 3?

natelox
Apr 9, 2006, 4:48 PM
The numbers 1-4 on the map represent station names, not terminal names. YVR has three terminals, International, Domestic and South. And the numbering for the exapansion drawings are a little weird, but notice they don't repeat the numbers and in the little write up about each option it mentions the T-x as an option; ususally international, domestic etc.. I think it is for organizational purposes.

officedweller
Apr 9, 2006, 10:58 PM
The Terminal referneces are just option numbers for the purposes of the study. All of the options will not be built.

excel
Apr 10, 2006, 8:20 AM
all of the ideas look pretty good. id prefer the connected ones not the satellite option.

phesto
Apr 10, 2006, 4:50 PM
Here is a different rendering of the Link building:

http://www.kasian.com/images/transport/YVR-Link-img1a.jpg

This exciting new five-storey building will link the Domestic and International terminals, serving as a central hub for passengers traveling through YVR; a point of entry for the airport’s new RAV Station; as well as the entrance to YVR’s new executive offices. The soaring glass oval atrium structure will provide passengers orientation and will house three totem poles visible both to passengers approaching the terminal as well as to passengers within the terminal. The $125 M Link Building is projected to open in June 2007.

twoNeurons
Apr 10, 2006, 6:09 PM
We can see planes take off and land from the Link Building, right?

excel
Apr 10, 2006, 7:56 PM
^Yes most definitely. when above the terminal you will have a 360 degree view of the whole airport and its surroundings.

raggedy13
Apr 10, 2006, 10:52 PM
^That's an awesome idea and design feature. :yes:

crazyjoeda
Apr 11, 2006, 7:23 AM
The North East option (T-4, T-5, AND T-9) is the best. Having the terminal served by two Skytrain stations will be convenient.

phesto
Apr 11, 2006, 5:54 PM
Some interesting stats from April 2006:

YVR By The Numbers

The Airport Authority’s mandate is to ensure YVR meets the growing demand for air travel, and continues to realize its potential as a premier global gateway and economic generator for British Columbia. So, we spend a lot of time thinking about the future.

Sometimes, though, it’s good to pause and take a look at where we’re at now, because we’ve certainly come a long way since we assumed responsibility for the airport in 1992. That year, we had about 700 take-offs and landings a day, served 9.9-million passengers, and handled 144,000 tonnes of cargo. We offered scheduled non-stop service to 10 international destinations and eight in the United States. YVR now averages about 800 aircraft arrivals and departures each day and in 2005, we welcomed more than 16.4-million travellers, a new record, and handled 223,700 tonnes of cargo. We now provide scheduled non-stop service to 18 international destinations and 23 in the United States.

Where does our traffic come from? Domestic passengers make up slightly more than half of the annual traffic through YVR. Transborder passengers account for about a quarter of our yearly visitors; another 22 percent is made up of International passengers, with Asia-Pacific travellers at about 15 percent and European travellers at about seven per cent. The balance is comprised largely of travellers from Mexico and the Caribbean.

Of all the passengers who pass through YVR, about a third connect to onward flights. Approximately 65 per cent of YVR passengers are tourists – residents from outside of B.C. travelling for leisure purposes – while 30 per cent are travelling for business. Demographically speaking, nearly 80 per cent of YVR passengers are over the age of 35. The female/male split is nearly even, at 53 per cent and 47 per cent, respectively.

That’s a look at our passengers, but where are they going? The top three destinations to and from YVR are, in order: Toronto, Calgary and Los Angeles. The shortest flight from Vancouver is service to Nanaimo, which clocks in at 24 minutes. The longest non-stop flight offered from YVR is to Manila, more than 10,548 kilometres away – that flight takes 14-and-a-half hours.

This snapshot of where we are now also gives us a view of where we’re going. When we look to our growth areas, we see increases in several sectors, most notably the European sector, where traffic was up by 11.6 per cent in 2005 compared with 2004. We also saw growth in domestic traffic, which increased by 4.5 per cent; transborder (Canada-U.S.) traffic, where we saw a 3.6 per cent increase; and Asia Pacific traffic, which was up by a moderate 1.9 per cent.

With Approved Destination Status from the People’s Republic of China nearing completion, we expect a more dramatic rise in Asia-Pacific traffic in the years to come, as Chinese visitors find it easier to visit Vancouver for tourism and leisure. With a city and province this beautiful, there is little doubt that travellers the world over will continue to find reasons to visit Vancouver, and that’s good news for YVR and for the many businesses and services that depend on the airport and the tourism industry for their continued success

twoNeurons
Apr 11, 2006, 11:33 PM
And tourists take the train, if it's convenient.

All the naysayers who said RAV to YVR is useless will eat their words.

mr.x
Apr 11, 2006, 11:45 PM
got any pics of the new terminal construction?

phesto
Apr 19, 2006, 9:26 PM
There are some photos here: http://www.wesbridge.com/projects/photos/4314/4314-02/default.htm

There's also moveable 3D web models that are kinda cool, they took me a while to load though:
http://www.wesbridge.com/projects/models/4314a.html

http://www.wesbridge.com/projects/models/4314b.html

http://www.wesbridge.com/projects/photos/4314/4314-01.jpg
-----------------------

Also - Updated construction timing on the RAV YVR segment:

SEGMENT 8—Sea Island (YVR)

Anticipated Construction Schedule

Utility Relocation February 2006 to November 2006*
Elevated Guideway March 2006 to July 2007*
Station Construction December 2006 to December 2008*
(All stations) *Subject to change.
What’s New

Road Work on North Service Road near Templeton Road Commencing mid April, it is anticipated that road work, including widening of the North Service
Road on and/or near Templeton Road, will occur on Sea Island. Intermittent single vehicle lane closures are required for this work. Access to YVR terminal parkades will be maintained at all times, although new parking restrictions at various parking lots may be implemented. Further details about upcoming traffic pattern changes and parking restrictions will be available through construction updates on the Canada Line interactive construction activity map available at www.canadaline.ca once details have been confirmed.
Construction Activities During the Month of April

Type of work: Utility relocation north of Grant McConachie Way, tree and landscape material relocation, pile driving, foundation and column construction, relocate a portion of the North Service Road, preliminary construction work for the Templeton Road overpass and associated roadways, and construct access to station areas.

Typical hours of work: Weekdays; weekends as required – daytime hours. Hours of work will be in accordance with the regulatory authorities for the Vancouver International Airport Authority.

General impact: Truck traffic and noise related to excavation and construction activity. Pedestrian access will be maintained, although cyclists may be detoured where necessary. Pedestrians and motorists are reminded to use caution when travelling around the construction area.

Traffic pattern changes: No significant traffic pattern changes are required for this work. A portion of North Service Road and Templeton Road will be disturbed, which will not affect traffic to and from the Airport.

excel
Apr 20, 2006, 6:56 AM
^thanks for all the info

officedweller
Apr 20, 2006, 6:11 PM
Cool! Thanks

crazyjoeda
Apr 20, 2006, 8:01 PM
So by 2008 the whole Airport portion of the Canada Line will be done?

twoNeurons
Apr 20, 2006, 9:21 PM
sure, but it likely won't be live by 2009, with the rest of the line.

SSLL
Apr 20, 2006, 9:21 PM
^Wow, Toronto before Calgary? How many Seattle flights are there?

zahav84
Apr 20, 2006, 10:07 PM
There are many Seattle flights (~6 daily on AC, ~10-12 daily on Horizon/Alaska depending on the season) However, these flights use Dash 8 aircraft, with a small capacity. Toronto, however, gets ~20 daily flights on AC, ~6 on Westjet, and 1 on Harmony. Most of ACs aircraft are wide body, and have a huge capacity. Since I work at the airport, I know there is no doubt Toronto is the most popular rout, hands down

MistyMountainHop
Apr 23, 2006, 1:32 AM
Canada, Britain sign open skies agreement
Last Updated Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:14:22 EDT
CBC News

The governments of Canada and Britain have signed an open skies air transport agreement that is designed to ease air travel between the two countries and Europe.

When this agreement comes into effect on Sept. 1, Canadian airlines will be able to offer virtually unlimited passenger and cargo flights to and from Britain and on to Europe, the Middle East and other countries.

British airlines will have similar rights when flying to Canada and on to the United States, Latin America or Asia.

"This new agreement opens up a realm of new opportunities that will benefit air travellers," said Duncan Dee, a senior vice president at ACE Aviation Holdings, Air Canada's parent. "Most notably, it will allow us to continue expanding Air Canada's simplified fare products for customers between Canada and the United Kingdom, our largest international market."

Lawrence Cannon, Canada's minister of transport, infrastructure and communities, said: "I am pleased with the new agreement and look forward to the potential benefits for Canada's passengers, shippers, airlines and airports. I am confident this further liberalization will allow airlines to better meet the needs of travellers, shippers, and the air industry."

At least 12 air carriers operate between the Canada and Britain, serving more than nine Canadian cities and eight British cities. They carry more than two million passengers a year.

Air Canada is one of the most important carriers on the route, flying into Heathrow about 100 times a week.

The bilateral deal was reached after discussions involving officials from the Canadian and British governments as well as Canadian and British airlines.

Canada signed a similar deal with the United States in 1995. It opened up air travel between the two countries, giving Air Canada unparalleled access to the U.S. market.

crazyjoeda
Apr 24, 2006, 7:36 AM
Since I work at the airport, I know there is no doubt Toronto is the most popular rout, hands down

Toronto is for sure the #1 route. L.A is second.

zahav84
Apr 24, 2006, 8:34 AM
Some unreleased to the public route news, but since I work for the airline I thought I'd let the forum know:

In June, Harmony is starting daily JFK flights, twice weekly service to Oakland, and increasing Toronto service to twice daily, and three times daily on some days. As for the Calgary flights, the airline is looking at leasing regional jets and 737s for the thrice dailies to go there. and look for more route enhancements coming soon!

hollywoodnorth
Apr 24, 2006, 11:41 AM
Some unreleased to the public route news, but since I work for the airline I thought I'd let the forum know:

In June, Harmony is starting daily JFK flights, twice weekly service to Oakland, and increasing Toronto service to twice daily, and three times daily on some days. As for the Calgary flights, the airline is looking at leasing regional jets and 737s for the thrice dailies to go there. and look for more route enhancements coming soon!

GREAT news all around!

thanks!

I love Harmony BTW.

<Dave>
Apr 24, 2006, 4:13 PM
There are many Seattle flights (~6 daily on AC, ~10-12 daily on Horizon/Alaska depending on the season)

I wonder about people's reasons for flying to Seattle

In the time it would take you to get to the Vancouver airport, check-in, wait for your flight, board your flight, fly down to Seattle, and get off the flight, you could probably just drive down there in the same amount of time. Plus, you'd have a car with you once you're there.

Glacierfed
Apr 24, 2006, 4:16 PM
Most people who fly from Vancouver to Seattle do so to connect in Seattle, not with Seattle as their final destination. Seattle is Alaska Airlines' hub, and unless you're flying in the summer time, I think you need to go through Seattle to get to Anchorage. I'v flown Vancouver-Seattle-San Diego on Alaska before too.
Sea Tac also has some connections to Europe that you don't get in Vancouver, SAS flys Seattle to Copenhagen daily.

phesto
Apr 24, 2006, 4:18 PM
Great news about Harmony. I have to wonder about the JFK service since CX and AC are already on it, but I'd fly Harmony depending on the aircraft.

zahav - I'm curious about how the YVR-OGG is doing? There is stiff competition on this route with AC and WJ, but I know a lot of people prefer to fly harmony because of the dep/arr times.

excel
Apr 24, 2006, 6:43 PM
^OGG does quite well actully. it usually pics up 3/4 loads. on average id say its 130 a day on the 757. on holidays and peak times this flight has no problem selling out. im sure these numbers are strong during summer and winter. during the spring and fall they probably dip.
zahav, where in harmony do u work?

excel
Apr 24, 2006, 6:55 PM
Great news about Harmony. I have to wonder about the JFK service since CX and AC are already on it, but I'd fly Harmony depending on the aircraft.

as far as future aircraft for harmony. they have plans to purchase 787's, and a350's. and plans to lease a320's 737's and 767's. once they begin leasing 767's they plan to drop their entire 757-200 fleet. (currently fleet is 4 757-200's). they expect to have a total of 12 aircraft by 2015. their main focus is to fly their 787's and a350's to asia, and then later on to europe. citys like beijing, shanghai, shenyang, and guangzhou will be their first focus. they will bring the passengers from those cities to vancouver and then transfer the majority of the passengers to their domestic and trans boarder destinations on their 737's and a320's. the 767 will be used mainly for hawaii destinations (currently maui and honolulu.)
harmony's ultimate goal is to become part of one world alliance.

Rocket252
Apr 24, 2006, 7:01 PM

Any chance Harmony would include Edmonton in their future plans?

SSLL
Apr 24, 2006, 8:26 PM
If Harmony are ever to get into oneworld, there sure going to have to go to the top eight airports at least.

Coldrsx
Apr 24, 2006, 8:30 PM

at this point, no....i have spoken with them multiple times. I flew with HMY (harmony) to cancun back in 2003....very well run airline and amazing service. I truly hope they can expand nationally.

Rocket252
Apr 24, 2006, 9:03 PM
Yes their service has gotten rave reviews from family and friends who have flown with them. I wish them well in their expansion plans and hope to see them at YEG in the future.

twoNeurons
Apr 24, 2006, 9:43 PM

In the time it would take you to get to the Vancouver airport, check-in, wait for your flight, board your flight, fly down to Seattle, and get off the flight, you could probably just drive down there in the same amount of time. Plus, you'd have a car with you once you're there.

Ever try to cross the border by car? It's almost worth it going through airport security.

LeftCoaster
Apr 24, 2006, 10:03 PM
Yea I fly between Toronto and Vancouver with them all the time... great service and nicely appointed planes... they remind me of a young westjet

mezzanine
Apr 25, 2006, 6:23 AM

A biggie (for me) is that southwest links to seattle. Most US domestic, esp. southwest, esp. to smaller centres like Tampa and Nashville, are much cheaper than trying to get a direct flight from YVR to the USA. To fully take advantage of this, we drove to seatac.

crazyjoeda
May 7, 2006, 8:50 PM
does any one have any pictures of the new terminal expantion.

officedweller
May 12, 2006, 6:21 PM
See the current issue of Skytalk for a pic:

http://www.yvr.ca/pdf/authority/skytalk/skytalk_apr2006.pdf

The draft 20 year master plan has been issued. It shows the new terminal to the east of the existing (in 2 phases) as well as the options for the 4th runway (on the foreshore or to the south). You can see that YVR 3 Station should be right in front of the new terminal on dual elevated guideway.

http://www.yvr.ca/yourairport2027/

http://img285.imageshack.us/img285/7224/yvr5ff.jpg

Here's the Canada Line allignment from the EAO documents submitted for the at-grade segment (subsequent shifting of Templeton station location not shown though).

Anyone else notice that the at-grade section will block all pedestrian access from Grant MacConachie Way northwards except at Sea Island Centre Station (via pedestrian overpass), at Templeton Road (via roadway overpass) and within Templeton Station (via in-station overpass)? The North Service Road will be diverted to run parallel to the Canada Line.

I suspect that the at-grade segment is extended as far east as Templeton (with a Templeton Road overpass over the tracks) to preserve overheight access to the Northlands developments and to the Air Canada Hangar. If the Canada Line is elevated over Templeton Road, the height restriction would probably be too low.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5741/yvr23hb.jpg

And here's Sea Island Centre Station:

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/7775/seaislandctre3zv.jpg

phesto
May 12, 2006, 9:28 PM
Thanks! I guess as this point, the Northeast terminal expansion and the foreshore runway recommendations aren't really that surprising. I took a look at the master plan, here are some interesting points:

- forecast numbers for passengers at 2027:

Low growth scenario: 26.9 million
Medium: 33.4 milllion
High: 40.5 million

Potential dates for implemenation of expansion projects (seems like these assume medium growth scenario):

Link Building - 2007 (u/c)
Int'l Terminal Expansion/ Canada Line - 2009 (u/c)
North South Taxiway- 2014
Terminal Expansion Phase 1 - 2015
Airport Access Improvements (Vancouver)- 2018
Passenger Terminal Facilities - 2023
New Runway - 2025
Airport Access Improvements (Richmond) - 2026

Other recommendations in the plan:

- Extension of the North runway by 2000 ft.

- Increase fees for takeoffs/landings during peak periods.

- The north-south taxiway would have to be built prior to the terminal expansion. The crosswind runway would be closed.

-Cost for NE terminal expansion (recommended option) is ~1.3 billion.

- allowing for limited facilities at YVR1 ie. checkin and baggage dropoff (?) to minimize congestion at terminal buildings.

- reserve land for a possible float plane terminal.

- dedicated airport access lane northbound on Russ baker way.

- adding other routes will also be explored depending on demand(twinning arthur laing, making it and oak street one way northbound and southbound respectively). Also suggests linking templeton to West boulevard to the north, and alderbridge at NO.3 to the south, but also mentions these are already opposed and not recommended.

- 70 hectares of cargo processing land (cargo campuses) will be required by 2027.

-also mentions exploring the possibility of non-aviation uses (office and/or industrial) under the assumption that there will be high demand in the next 20 years.

officedweller
May 12, 2006, 10:01 PM
- The north-south taxiway would have to be built prior to the terminal expansion. The crosswind runway would be closed.

That's the interesting bit.
So does that mean we'd only have 2 runways from 2014 to 2025?

The overhead pedestrian bridge for the Sea Island Centre Station will do a lot to screen the taxiway.

hollywoodnorth
May 12, 2006, 11:03 PM
I like how they have potential plans to use build some sort of terminal at Templeton in the future.

During stage two of the 20-Year Master Plan consultation process, the possibility of locating select terminal facilities, such as passenger and baggage check-ins, at Canada Line YVR Station 1 was identified.

Under this system, passengers could choose to check in before riding the Canada Line to the main terminal for pre-board screening. This would help address the significant public demand for additional curbside pick-up and drop-off space, reduce emissions by shortening vehicle trips, relieve congestion at the Domestic and International terminal building curbs and parking facilities, and maximize the Airport Authority's investment in the Canada Line.

The Airport Authority therefore recommends placing select terminal facilities at Canada Line YVR Station 1, and allocating sufficient land for this purpose. This option will be discussed with stakeholders during stage three of the Master Plan consultation process.

crazyjoeda
May 14, 2006, 5:17 AM
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8193/yvrmap5we.jpg

I like this plan for terminal expantion. It will be the best for transportation since it will easily incorporate the future Canada Line station. There can be "YVR - US Departures" and "YVR - Main Terminal".

officedweller
May 16, 2006, 7:24 AM
New air photos:

http://www.globalairphotos.com/images/bc/richmond/2006/rhh2006_206.jpg

crazyjoeda
May 16, 2006, 8:51 AM
That expantion is looking good. Is the link building also under construction, I'll have to check that out when I'm there next week.

Mininari
May 16, 2006, 6:23 PM
Hey, I have a theory on some reasoning on the single tracking at YVR.

It looks like far-future expansion would be on the south end of the existing domestic terminal, correct? So then a single-tracked RAV line could then CONTINUE and loop around to the new southern expansion, and then connect back into the double track on the North Side... thus making the Airport Line a one-way loop.

officedweller
May 16, 2006, 6:42 PM
I was thinking that too. The curve of the walkway to the Link building looks shallow enough that a guideway could be built along it. It's just a question of whether the loop would be too tight to come back to where the double track becomes single track.

The other thing is that unless a Richmond-YVR service is launched (which would require track upgrades at Bridgeport) the frequency at YVR and Richmond will be half that at Waterfront. So the single track in Richmond and at YVR is feasible, whereas there's a double platform at the Waterfront terminus.

I just noticed that on the YVR plan, the Canada Line follows the North Service Road (i.e. is a straight line, whereas on the Canada Line materials, the line follows Grant MacConachie Way (i.e. curves south of the North Service Road. If the line is built farther to the south, either walkways will have to be built or the North Service Road and the terminal will have to be moved to the south.

Rye $ingh
May 16, 2006, 8:29 PM
That expansion is going to make the airport huge, its awesome.

Coldrsx
May 16, 2006, 8:32 PM

they just announced today that harmony is flying Edmonton-Maui from dec-april

phesto
May 17, 2006, 8:57 PM
^That's great news for Edmonton. Harmony's offering year round service from YVR, which is great because prices are dirt cheap offseason (I took advantage and booked last week).

United will be restarting YVR-LAX service:

United Launches Six New Flights to Start This Fall
Tuesday May 16, 3:22 pm ET
New routes provide access to large U.S. airports, with connections to international destinations

CHICAGO, May 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- United Airlines today announced it is scheduled to launch six new daily routes, beginning Sept. 6. The routes will provide more travel options for customers, especially for those traveling to United's hub airports, which offer connections to hundreds of worldwide destinations. Tickets are on sale now.

The new flights include:
-- San Francisco-Toronto (daily service on a United Airbus-319)
-- Los Angeles-Vancouver (twice daily service on an explusSM CRJ-700)

The following new flights represent the only nonstop service between these cities:

-- Denver-Grand Rapids, Mich. (daily service on an explus CRJ-700)
-- Los Angeles-Oklahoma City (daily service on an explus CRJ-700)
-- Washington Dulles-Albuquerque, N.M. (daily service on a United Airbus-
319)
-- Washington Dulles-Birmingham, Ala. (daily service on a United
Express® CRJ-200)

hollywoodnorth
May 18, 2006, 10:10 AM
WOW!! YVR sure has come a long way since 1986!! :)

http://www.globalairphotos.com/images/bc/richmond/1986/rhh1986_002.jpg

and from 1992

http://www.globalairphotos.com/images/bc/richmond/1992/rhh1992_054.jpg

phesto
May 18, 2006, 3:23 PM
^What a difference the North runway makes!

YVR sees high-flying profits
Higher airport improvement fees boosted profits to $74.4 million in 2005

Bruce Constantineau, Vancouver Sun
Published: Thursday, May 18, 2006

Vancouver International Airport operations posted a record $74.4-million profit last year -- up from $44.5 million in 2004 -- as higher airport improvement fees boosted revenues by nearly $30 million.

The airport authority's 2005 annual report notes that airport improvement fee revenue rose by 51 per cent, from $57.6 million to $87.1 million, after a Jan. 1, 2005 increase. The fee for North American flights rose from $10 to $15 while the $5 fee for B.C. and Yukon flights, and the $15 fee for overseas flights remained unchanged. The increase affected about half of departing passengers.

The airport improvement fee was introduced in 1993 to pay for infrastructure development at the airport, and more than $670 million has been collected so far. With major capital improvements planned for the airport over the next 20 years, airport authority officials say the fees will remain a fact of life for a long time.

Airport authority president Larry Berg told a Vancouver Board of Trade audience recently the airport will need a new $1-billion terminal by 2015 and a third runway -- costing hundreds of millions of dollars -- by 2025.

That's on top of an estimated $1 billion the airport expects to spend over the next four years on the Canada Line, gate expansions to the international terminal, a new structure linking the domestic and international terminals, and other improvements.

Vancouver International Airport handled a record 16.4 million passengers last year, a 4.4-per-cent increase over 2004, and officials estimate the airport will attract 21 million passengers by 2010 and 30 million passengers by 2020.

"We're already at capacity at the international terminal in the summer," said Bob Cowan, the airport authority's senior vice-president of engineering. "We're having to depart international flights out of the domestic building and we're out of counters and we're short of outbound baggage systems. We're just coming to the point now where we need more space and more facilities and it costs money."

Cowan said the authority is nearing the end of a five-year phase-in period of increasing terminal fees to airlines to more accurately reflect the costs of services it provides the airlines. He noted the airport authority will pay reduced annual rents to the federal government in the future and those decreases should help the airport keep future terminal-fee increases "at inflation rates or less."

The airport authority's annual lease payment to the federal government is expected to drop from $78.8 million this year to $43 million in 2010 under a new lease arrangement that fixes rents as a percentage of gross revenues.

"The lower lease rates will allow us to be competitive against other airports," Cowan said in an interview. "It's important that we are seen to be offering good value at reasonable prices and this will allow us to stay there."

He said airports throughout the world use a combination of fees and charges to airlines and passengers to finance infrastructure improvements and airlines are eager for Vancouver's airport to expand.

bconstantineau@png.canwest.com

- This story can be heard online after 10:30 a.m. today at www.vancouversun.com/readaloud.

- - -

YVR FINANCIAL RESULTS

2005 2004

Operating profit $74.4 million $44.5 million

Revenue $329.8 million $276.9 million

Net assets $654.6 million $580.2 million

Passengers 16.4 million 15.7 million

excel
May 19, 2006, 6:37 AM
its amazing how many more passengers the new terminal will bring by 2010.

phesto
May 24, 2006, 3:58 PM
Canjet and Harmony have partnered, likely to drum up a little competition with WJ on the domestic routes:

Coast to Coast with Harmony and CanJet

Harmony Airways and CanJet have partnered together to offer you more choice for travel in Canada. Starting June 1, you can travel from Coast to Coast with these two great airlines. Using our common hub in Toronto (Terminal 3), Vancouver originating travellers can connect on CanJet flights to St John’s, Deer Lake, Moncton or Halifax, all at very competitive fares.

Route Departure Time* Flights Arrival Time*
Vancouver to Halifax 08:00 HQ212/CJ160 21:20
Vancouver to St John's 08:00 HQ212/CJ188 00:15
Vancouver to Moncton 08:00 HQ212/CJ556 23:25
Vancouver to Deer Lake 08:00 HQ212/CJ108 23:55
Halifax to Vancouver 12:30 CJ135/HQ219 18:35
18:10 CJ161/HQ217 01:05+1
St John's to Vancouver 07:30 CJ103/HQ219 18:35
14:05 CJ551/HQ217 01:05+1
Moncton to Vancouver 15:50 CJ551/HQ217 01:05+1
Deer Lake to Vancouver 15:30 CJ185/661/HQ217 01:05+1
Vancouver – Calgary - Toronto 07:00 HQ270/CJ108 19:00
Toronto – Calgary - Vancouver 09:45 CJ103/HQ269 15:30

* Sample schedule based on July 3 departure dates, please call to confirm flight schedules at time of booking.

excel
May 25, 2006, 2:17 AM
^harmony is doing a very good job with early alliances. unlike westjet.

MistyMountainHop
May 26, 2006, 2:29 AM
News release from YVR website:

May 11, 2006

LEADING APPROACH RESULTS IN RECORD YEAR FOR YVR

2005 Highlights and Draft 20-Year Plan Released at Annual Public Meeting

Passenger traffic at Vancouver International Airport (YVR) in 2005 was a record 16.4 million, up 4.4% from 2004, resulting in Vancouver International Airport Authority's most successful year to date. Airport Authority President and CEO Larry Berg announced the results, which have been available online since April 28, as part of his presentation at today's Annual Public Meeting.

Berg noted that the organization had its best year financially in terms of excess of revenue over expenditures, and that it was also a record year for the Airport Authority in terms of capital investment. More than $137-million was invested in projects in 2005 including the International Terminal expansion, baggage screening enhancements and the YVR portion of the Canada Line. These projects are part of the Airport Authority's four-year, $1-billion capital program.

Berg highlighted some of the positive steps taken by the government toward liberalizing air policy.

"2005 was an important year for the aviation industry, with more liberalized agreements with China, India and, just last month, another with the U.K.," said Berg. "But perhaps the most important step from B.C.'s perspective is the new Open Skies agreement with the U.S., set to take effect this fall. The agreement will strengthen YVR's geographic advantage as a gateway between Asia and North America."

YVR's passenger growth was distributed across all sectors, led by an 11.6% increase in European traffic, followed by a 4.5% increase in domestic traffic. U.S. traffic was up by 3.6%, and YVR saw a 2.4% increase in Asia-Pacific traffic.

Also released at the Annual Public Meeting were the recommendations contained in the Airport Authority's draft long-term plan, YVR: Your Airport 2027 Draft 20-Year Master Plan for Consultation.

The draft plan includes development recommendations for runways, taxiways, terminals and road access necessary to accommodate the 27 million passengers, 484,000 take-offs and landings and 30 million airport-related vehicle trips projected for 2027.

Berg said airport planning requires a far-reaching vision and the foresight to create an airport that will meet the community's needs and aspirations over the long term.

"The recommendations in the draft 20-Year Master Plan are based on a development approach that is phased, flexible, backed by sound financial planning and shaped by our extensive consultations with stakeholders."

The Airport Authority is seeking public input on its draft plan before finalizing the recommendations and the resulting land use plan, and is asking people to visit the website to view the recommendations and submit comments.

-YVR-

For more information:
Media Relations
Vancouver International Airport Authority

MistyMountainHop
May 30, 2006, 1:24 AM
Meeting Highlights YVR's Achievements And Plans

A review of highlights from the past year at YVR and the unveiling of the draft 20-year Master Plan were the focus of the Airport Authority's annual public meeting earlier this month.

As a community-based organization, the Airport Authority invites the public to the meeting at YVR each year to hear presentations outlining results from the previous year and plans for the future. The meetings also include a question and answer period. It is just one of the many ways the Airport Authority is accountable to the communities it serves.

More than 150 people attended this year's meeting, held on May 11. Making presentations were Graham Clarke, Chair of the Board of Directors, Larry Berg, President and CEO, Bob Cowan, Senior Vice President, Engineering, Tony Gugliotta, Senior Vice President, Finance and Chief Financial Officer, Paul Levy, Vice President, Operations, Kevin Molloy, Vice President, Simplified Passenger Travel and Chief Information Officer, and Anne Murray, Vice President, Community and Environmental Affairs.

Click here (http://www.yvr.ca/authority/whoweare/annual_meeting_2006.asp) to view the presentations at the meeting.

Click here (http://www.yvr.ca/authority/whoweare/annual_report_online.asp) to view the Airport Authority's 2005 Annual Report and Financial Statements.

North Runway Departures To Resume in June

YVR is forecasting a record 16.9 million passengers for 2006, and to help meet the growing demand for air travel and reduce delays, the north runway will be used for take-offs starting in June.

The north runway is generally used from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., and primarily for arrivals, while the south runway is operational 24 hours a day and is used for both arrivals and departures.

The increase in passenger traffic at YVR means more aircraft using our runway system during peak daytime periods. The demand on our system is so great that it cannot be handled without using the north runway for departures.

Beginning June 12, the north runway will be used as needed for departures between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. It will not be used between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. for either arrivals or departures, except in the event of emergencies or maintenance on the south runway.

While we are committed to balancing your need for convenient, efficient air travel with little noise or disturbance to the environment, increased passenger volumes and demand for runways means we must make these operational changes to reduce aircraft delays.

Each year, the south runway is closed during night-time hours in the summer to perform maintenance and upgrades. In 2006, the runway will be closed July 21 to August 4 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. During this period, the north runway will be used for all departures and arrivals.

Noise information: 604.207.7097.

phesto
May 31, 2006, 3:03 PM
YVR predicts record year
New routes, growth in demand has airport projecting 16.9 million passengers

Derrick Penner, Vancouver Sun
Published: Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Vancouver International Airport expects to see a record number of passengers pass through its terminals for the second year in a row.

The airport is forecasting that 16.9 million people will use the Vancouver facility, topping the 16.4 million travellers it welcomed in 2005.

"We see strong growth to and from Europe, to and from Asia," Anne Murray, Vancouver International Airport's vice-president of community and environment affairs, said.

She added that because the B.C. economy is robust, more local residents are flying on vacation.

Among the added flights the airport will see this summer is a new Qantas Airlines route linking Vancouver to Sydney via San Francisco. An airline called Sunwing will start a new domestic route between Vancouver and London, Ont.

Murray said the federal government has helped boost traffic to the airport by negotiating to expand air travel rights with other countries. Canada's open skies agreement with the United States is one example, and bilateral agreements with India and China are others.

While an "approved destination" agreement with China has not yet been completed, Murray said "that's the other potential [for growth]."

The airport authority estimates that 21 million passengers will arrive and leave from the airport by 2010 and 30 million by 2020.

Murray said the airport already operates at capacity during peak periods. She added that during this summer, on its busiest days, Vancouver International Airport will have no spare gates for international arrivals because of strong demand from charter flights into the European market.

Murray added that the additional passenger traffic is expected to translate into 11,000 more takeoffs and landings from airport runways.

And for the third summer in a row, Vancouver International Airport will have to allow takeoffs on its north runway to accommodate the additional demand starting June 12.

Murray said the north runway, which was opened in 1996, is approved for takeoffs "when required to reduce delays" due to heavy traffic on the airport's south runway. Typically, the airport tries to limit the north runway to landings only during the winter and closes it entirely between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m.

During the summer, however, Murray said the north runway will be available between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., seven days a week, "as demand requires."

Use of the north runway has resulted in numerous noise complaints in the past. The airport's 2005 noise management report recorded 440 "noise concerns" in 2005, which was down 45 per cent from 2004.

djh
May 31, 2006, 5:18 PM
YVR predicts record year
New routes, growth in demand has airport projecting 16.9 million passengers

Derrick Penner, Vancouver Sun
Published: Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Use of the north runway has resulted in numerous noise complaints in the past. The airport's 2005 noise management report recorded 440 "noise concerns" in 2005, which was down 45 per cent from 2004.

If you choose to live near an airport, you should automatically lose your right to complain about pollution.

I bet those same people will sue YVR in 20 years because they have high instances of bad health. Well...duh! You wondered why your house was so cheap...?

phesto
Jun 12, 2006, 7:53 PM
The livery on the inaugural Qantas flight sounds kinda cool:

Qantas Airways Inaugurates New Flights from Vancouver International Airport to San Francisco and Sydney, Australia; Aircraft Painted in Aboriginal Art Commemorates First Flight

RICHMOND, B.C., June 12 /CNW/ - Qantas Airways:

<<
EVENT NAME: Qantas Airways Boeing 747 Aircraft Tour
Qantas Airways executives will be on-hand for a
departure day aircraft tour commemorating the
airline's launch of new service from Vancouver
International Airport. Wunala Dreaming, the airline's
Boeing 747-400 painted in a striking aboriginal
design, will be showcased featuring the award-winning
in-flight amenities that differentiate Qantas'
international service.

New seasonal flights are scheduled to operate between
Canada and the U.S., and onwards to Sydney, Australia,
on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays from June 14 -
August 13, 2006 and December 1, 2006 - January 31,
2007. Fares for this limited time offer start at just
US$99 (CAN$115) one-way Economy and US$419 (CAN$499)
one-way Business per person on Qantas flights 73 and
74 only, and must be purchased by June 30, 2006.

DATE/TIME: Wednesday, June 14, 2006
3:00 p.m. - Qantas Airways Boeing 747-400 aircraft
tour

PLACE: Vancouver International Airport (Aircraft Tour)
Richmond, B.C.

Due to security regulations at Vancouver International
Airport, all attending media who wish to tour the
aircraft must RSVP in advance to Denise Flemig at
(604) 525-3071 or dflemig@qantas.com.au.

Coldrsx
Jun 12, 2006, 8:12 PM
wholly crap!

New seasonal flights are scheduled to operate between
Canada and the U.S., and onwards to Sydney, Australia,
on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays from June 14 -
August 13, 2006 and December 1, 2006 - January 31,
2007. Fares for this limited time offer start at just
US$99 (CAN$115) one-way Economy and US$419 (CAN$499)
one-way Business per person on Qantas flights 73 and
74 only, and must be purchased by June 30, 2006.

Rocket252
Jun 12, 2006, 8:40 PM
Those prices can't be right.

phesto
Jun 12, 2006, 8:47 PM
^I think they just made the wording unclear. Those prices are probably one-way, YVR-SFO.

I think return to Sydney is still over $1100.

excel
Jun 13, 2006, 3:47 AM
^yea thats correct, the price is referring to one way to san fran. harmony is selling one way tickets to oakland at $115.

phesto
Jun 21, 2006, 6:06 PM
Apparently Delta will be announcing new YVR-JFK daily service. Looks like DL is doing pretty well at YVR, as they're using bigger planes for the Salt Lake and ATL routes too.

Now there will be four carriers serving JFK direct! DL, HQ, AC, CX.

hollywoodnorth
Jul 8, 2006, 5:00 AM
MILLION AIR BRANDS FBO IN VANCOUVER
May 14, VANCOUVER BC

Million Air Interlink, the world's second largest fixed-base operations (FBO) chain, recently acquired the FBO division of Penta Aviation. Now known as Million Air Vancouver, the addition brings the total number of FBOs housed under the Million Air chain to 30.
Penta Aviation, located at Vancouver International Airport, first launched in 1970 as Executive Aircraft. In 1995, the name changed to Penta Aviation when operations were expanded to include a maintenance division, as well as paint and completion center. Due to the growth of all divisions, Penta Aviation wanted to move its FBO facility to a larger location. In January 2004, the company purchased the 180,000-square-foot Vancouver Jet Centre, located east of their current location. Today, this new facility serves as the primary home of Million Air Vancouver, with an additional 100,000 square feet of office and hangar space still utilized at the original Penta Aviation location on an as-needed basis.
"We have wanted to expand to the northwest region for awhile"said Roger Woolsey, chief executive officer of Million Air. "Penta Aviation stood out to us because they excel in customer service, design, décor and more. Plus, their staff perfectly fit within the Million Air culture. We are proud to have them as part of the Million Air family."
Ron Forbes serves as general manager for Million Air Vancouver.
"We are very pleased to become Million Air's 30th location" Forbes said.
"Being a part of this well-established network will enable us to give our customers many advantages that we could not have offered as an independent FBO. The next year will be very exciting."

phesto
Jul 11, 2006, 10:06 PM
A New York state of mind

By Bob Mackin

Harmony Airways CEO Gary Collins talks with BIV reporter Bob Mackin about his company’s new connections to the Big Apple and the challenges of expanding a locally based airline business to other parts of the world

New York City: Harmony Airways CEO Gary Collins is sitting in Shula’s Steak House in New York’s Times Square district. The walls are festooned with souvenirs of the Miami Dolphins’ unbeaten 1972 season.Like legendary coach Don Shula, Collins knows that putting together a winning lineup is the path to perfection. Harmony’s latest additions are San Francisco and New York, hence the cable cars and taxi cabs advertising campaign devised by Publicis Vancouver.

BIV: Harmony is taking on bigger, more established Canadian and American air carriers with the new routes. What’s the strategy?

Gary Collins: New York [is] a market that’s been underserved and when it has been it’s been poorly serviced. The schedules from the other carriers are poor. If you want to fly at a decent time of day you have to fly through Toronto or Calgary or Seattle. Even Cathay, which offers a good level of service, their schedule is late afternoon, and you have to clear customs at JFK [Airport], which is not a pleasant experience if you’ve ever done it.

We took what we’ve done in Hawaii, which is pre-clear when we can, a good schedule that works for people. It’s going to be an extremely successful route for us, the way Hawaii has been.

I’m a firm believer in show-me-don’t-tell-me. With New York, it’s the world-class city. There’s half a dozen that rank in that category. San Francisco is a similar icon city. People know what it’s about, cable cars and Fisherman’s Wharf, the wine district … so much in San Francisco. It’s a great weekend destination.

BIV: You’ve applied to fly to Beijing and Shanghai and the service could launch early next year if you receive approvals. Why is it taking so long?

Collins: It’s really at the policy level in the [transport] ministry. We’re working with them to educate them on that, if I can put it that way. [Approved Destination Status] makes it more attractive, but we think there is sufficient market in China without that.

It’s a chicken and egg game we’ve been playing with them. They say you get the aircraft and we’ll look at the frequencies. It’s pretty hard to go out and spend hundreds of millions of dollars on aircraft, not knowing [if] you’re going to have some place to send them. We’re waiting to see where they go with that.

I think they’ve got to modernize their policies. The government’s got to realize that you can have your air policy branch making policy, but you’ve got an economic policy for the entire country that talks about opening up the China gateway.

If you’ve got one air carrier doing that in Canada, you’re not opening it up. We’re still talking with them and hopefully they’ll get their heads around it.

Other people in government know about it, but the people in the air policy branch are still in 1970s mode. David [Emerson] has been supportive, and as an economist he understands what they’re talking about.

[b]BIV: Harmony is a privately held company. As such you don’t release financials. Where does the company want to go and how big do you want to grow?

Collins: It’s an extremely capital intensive business. Not many people using their own assets say, ‘let’s start an airline.’ David [Ho, Harmony’s owner] is one of them.

One of the challenges you see with the startup carrier – and WestJet is a perfect example – their attractiveness to shareholders is high growth rates, increasing in asset value, but in order to stay there you’ve got to really grow. You can’t do 30 to 35 per cent growth forever. WestJet has found themselves in that situation. They’re still trying to expand into a lot of places.

David doesn’t need 34 per cent growth. He’s much more comfortable with normal growth rates.

BIV: You have been making alliances with a number of small to medium-sized airlines. Hawaiian, China Eastern, China and Air North, which is the partnership passengers notice at YVR.

Collins: We were using a different company we were extremely disappointed in. The baggage delivery was very slow. The check-in was sometimes good, sometimes not great. When you’re selling customer service you’ve got to make sure it’s good.

In November last year, we did a round-the-world charter. A company out of Toronto does these around-the-world charters. The first stop was Whitehorse, so we started talking. Nice people, really focused on customer service, which is rare in this industry, and we clicked. They said we should do some joint marketing. We fly a lot of people to Vancouver. You fly people to Hawaii. People here like to go to Hawaii. It just got better and better.

BIV: How will Harmony benefit from the new open skies pact with the United States? Any more new destinations?

Collins: The economy is very strong in B.C. and in Alberta. The dollar being as strong as it is, it’s making it more attractive to a lot of the places we go. There’s nothing in the wings for a little while, maybe one or two things. We always try to have some ready so we’re prepared for whatever the market is … with the new rules we could step up and say we want that route. Those kinds of things always take a little while to evolve.

Florida is another market that’s poorly served or not served at all out of Vancouver. It also fits for our aircraft. We like routes that are four hours plus, because of the 757, it starts to get quite competitive at those distances. There’s a whole new range of 737s out there that are fuel efficient and competitive.

Coldrsx
Jul 11, 2006, 10:23 PM
i heart harmony (HMY)

phesto
Jul 11, 2006, 10:51 PM
I'm really curious how the YVR-JFK route will work out long term. A daily 757 seems a bit much, especially considering the competition, and the fact that it sounds like HMY may take a while to get their Asian connections going.

excel
Jul 12, 2006, 7:38 AM
thanks for the article.

SpongeG
Jul 12, 2006, 8:56 AM
as long as it is direct it shoudl do ok - when i have looked up routes to new york they all flew via somewhere else

zahav84
Jul 12, 2006, 10:45 AM
Harmony is doing well load-wise on the JFK routes. I actually work in operations for harmony, and do all of their load and passenger planning. since it is still quite early, the return loads are kind of small, but outbound loads from YVR are pretty good. harmony does do best on its Hawaii routes, because there is a lot of cargo traffic on the aircraft, whereas for new york and oakland, it is mostly passengers. but look for harmony to be growing even more in the next 6 months!

phesto
Jul 12, 2006, 5:10 PM
^Thanks for the insight, and keep us updated on new developments!

I also find the Florida comment interesting too - AC tried YVR-MIA twice-weekly a couple of years ago and it failed.

SSLL
Jul 12, 2006, 9:05 PM
^^Is there any chance it'll expand its Toronto operations, and do you think it'll pursue more of a relationship with CanJet (ie Merger?)?

Coldrsx
Jul 12, 2006, 9:09 PM
It would be nice to see Harmony come into YVR from asia as a hub and go out to YYC, YEG, YYZ etc.....

vanhattan
Jul 13, 2006, 5:06 AM
Great thread. Thanks to all. I fly out of YVR once or twice a week so I love all the updates.

excel
Jul 14, 2006, 10:52 AM
It would be nice to see Harmony come into YVR from asia as a hub and go out to YYC, YEG, YYZ etc.....

That is their whole idea. Bring passengers from China and transfer to calgary toronto and the states.

mr.x
Jul 17, 2006, 4:18 AM
A pic of the terminal construction going on:

http://westcoast.pcl.com/media/files/Projects/22_BC_Region/2200428_1_300.jpg

MistyMountainHop
Jul 28, 2006, 3:49 PM
From YVR website:

July 12, 2006 - 14:30 PM

VANCOUVER INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT AUTHORITY ANNOUCES NEW DIRECTORS TO BOARD

Richmond, B.C. July 12, 2006: Vancouver International Airport Authority's Board of Directors announces the appointment of two new directors: Grayden Hayward, appointee of The Vancouver Board of Trade; and Carol Kerfoot, appointee of The Law Society of British Columbia.

"We are pleased to welcome such accomplished individuals to our community-based Board of Directors," said Board Chair Graham Clarke. "The knowledge, experience and insight they will bring to the Board will be great assets to the Airport Authority, our customers and the communities YVR serves."

Grayden Hayward is the President and CEO of Carrera Property Group, a Vancouver-based property development company. Mr. Hayward has had a distinguished career in both the public and private sectors in Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia, the latter his home for nearly 30 years. At the municipal level, he served as the City Administrator for the cities of Kamloops and Nanaimo and at the provincial level as an Assistant Deputy Minister in Alberta and Deputy Minister in British Columbia. In the private sector, Mr. Hayward was the Vice President of Environment, Government and Community Relations for Trans Mountain Pipeline Company Ltd. and Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer for Bentall Corporation. He received the Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal in 2002. Throughout his career, he has been active in a number of community organizations. Mr. Hayward is currently a Director of and Secretary Treasurer to the Vancouver Board of Trade.

Carol Alter Kerfoot is a member of the law firm of Kornfeld Mackoff Silber LLP, with a commercial practice focused on business acquisition and divestiture transactions, and including real estate, shareholders' disputes and corporate governance. A Vancouver resident for over 35 years, Ms. Kerfoot has served as legal and strategic advisor to the Task Force for expansion of the Vancouver Convention Centre and as a director of several local non-profit organizations. She has served as a board member and chair of the Governance Committee of the B.C. Assessment Authority and currently serves as Vice President of the Vancouver Museum Commission.

The predecessors to the two new Directors were J. Thomas English, Q.C., and Robert Kadlec. "Our province benefited greatly from their vision and guidance for YVR as both a partner in our community and a premier global gateway," said Mr. Clarke. On behalf of the airport and the community, we thank them for their many contributions to our airport and our community."

The Institute of Chartered Accountants of British Columbia reappointed Rhys Eyton to the Board, and the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia reappointed John Watson, P. Eng. to the Board.

The Airport Authority is governed by a Board of Directors, members of which are appointed by nominating entities, including: the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia; the City of Richmond, the City of Vancouver; Government of Canada; Greater Vancouver Regional District; Institute of Chartered Accountants of British Columbia; The Law Society of British Columbia; and The Vancouver Board of Trade. The Board includes the Airport Authority President and CEO, and additional members are appointed by the Board from the community at large.

About Vancouver International Airport Authority

The Airport Authority is a community-based, not-for-profit organization that operates Vancouver International Airport (YVR). The second largest international passenger gateway on North America's West Coast, YVR expects to welcome a record 16.9 million passengers in 2006.

-YVR-

For more information:
Media Relations
Vancouver International Airport Authority

Stingray2004
Aug 4, 2006, 1:56 AM
Well not exactly YVR news, but news regarding its smaller southern cousin, Delta's Boundary Bay Airport (Canada's 5th largest in terms of take-offs and landings - mostly recreational).

Not only are terminal expansion plans currently underway, but the world's *largest* helicopter maintenance facility was announced today, which also apparently involves the movement of the companies' headquarters from back east as well as resulting in *400* employment positions. (Source: BCTV)

Not too shabby!

Heli-One Announces North American Helicopter Maintenance Facility

VANCOUVER, Aug. 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ - Heli-One, an operating
subsidiary of CHC Helicopter Corporation ("CHC") (TSX: FLY.A and FLY.B;
NYSE: FLI) announced today the establishment of a new helicopter
maintenance, repair and overhaul facility at Boundary Bay Airport in Delta,
B.C., Canada, approximately 20 kilometres southeast of Vancouver.

Heli-One will establish a 235,000 square-foot facility including
aircraft hangar, workshops and office space, with completion anticipated in
October 2007. This new facility will support a wide range of components,
engines and aircraft types including AgustaWestland, Bell, Eurocopter and
Sikorsky.

CHC will invest approximately $30 million in establishing the new
facility, which will allow Heli-One to provide total helicopter support and
improved efficiency for CHC's rapidly expanding fleet of aircraft and for
third-party customers around the world. The facility will consolidate
Heli-One's existing workshops and facilities in the Vancouver area, and
create additional capacity. This new facility will complement Heli-One's
major European Repair and Overhaul centre in Stavanger, Norway, which
specializes in tip-to-tail support of Eurocopter aircraft.

Heli-One is the world's largest independent helicopter support company,
providing logistics, maintenance and power-by-the-hour support for 14
different aircraft types operated by customers around the world.

CHC Helicopter Corporation is the world's largest provider of
helicopter services to the global offshore oil and gas industry, with
aircraft operating in more than 30 countries around the world.

CONTACT: Chris Flanagan, Director of Communications, CHC, (604)
279-2493; Christina Gagno, Project Supervisor, Heli-One, (604) 232-8305

SOURCE CHC Helicopter Corporation

Copyright © 1996-2006 PR Newswire Association LLC. All Rights Reserved.
A United Business Media company.

SpongeG
Aug 4, 2006, 5:57 AM
nice

where is that airport?

Glacierfed
Aug 4, 2006, 6:25 AM
The Boundary Bay airport is Southeast of Ladner roughly 2-3 km.

hollywoodnorth
Aug 4, 2006, 8:28 AM
nice

where is that airport?

here >> http://www.google.com/maphp?hl=en&q=&ie=UTF8&ll=49.074484,-123.003788&spn=0.026595,0.067377&t=h&om=1

excel
Aug 4, 2006, 8:32 AM
Great news for boundary bay airport. Along with this and the terminal expansion there are also runway extensions, an ILS (instrument landing system) and new training facilities being built. Plus other minor upgrades to the access roads and parking facilities, both long term and short term.

MistyMountainHop
Aug 26, 2006, 12:14 AM
President's Perspective

Happy Birthday, YVR

On July 22, 2006, Vancouver International Airport celebrated its 75th birthday. All of us at YVR have much to be proud of and reason to celebrate. Since 1931, YVR has grown from a small, one-runway airport into one of the world's premier gateways.

The airport's opening year was also an important one for aviation; it marked the first non-stop flight across the Pacific Ocean, from Samushiro Beach, Japan, to Wenatchee, Washington. The trip took 41 hours in a Bellanca Skyrocket. Today, a trip from YVR to Japan takes less than 10 hours and there are more than 250 transpacific flights to and from our airport each week.

Linking Asia with North America has always been a key part of the gateway strategy at YVR. In 1931, opening day leaflets proudly proclaimed Vancouver the "Hub of the World's Air Trails," and spoke of a future in trade with "the Orient and the countries bordering the Pacific Ocean."

Today, 75 years later, that vision has been realized. We are the closest point to Asia of all the airports on North America's West Coast and we handle the second largest volume of international passengers.

In 1931, about 2,650 people used the airport for sightseeing flights over Vancouver and another 500 or so passengers arrived on flights from other points. Today, we serve more than 16 million passengers a year and approximately 110 destinations. The impact of the gateway strategy on B.C. and our local communities has grown with the airport.

Airports are centres of tourism and trade, and by connecting businesses and people, they stimulate direct and indirect economic activity, the effects of which ripple into the surrounding communities, the region and the province. In 2005, InterVISTAS Consulting conducted a study to measure the economic impact of YVR and found that the airport generates $6.8-billion in total economic output.

Sounds impressive, but what does it mean? In a word, jobs; 26,700 of them related directly to the airport. Pursuing a gateway strategy generates additional employment at YVR: every 1,000 origin-destination passengers generate 3,300 hours of employment, while every 1,000 passengers from Asia who connect at YVR generate 4,900 hours of additional employment as a result of the connecting flight.

YVR is not only a significant employment generator in its own right; it also acts as a facilitator of provincial job creation. Many industries throughout the province depend on the airport to market, deliver goods and provide services to their customers. Looking to the future, the 10-year capital program now underway is expected to generate 5,200 person-years of employment and $525-million in direct GDP.

In celebrating the airport's 75 birthday, we can be proud of YVR's important role in the local economy and the benefits it provides for the communities we serve.

YVR: Where Sea Meets Sky

http://www.yvr.ca/authority/images/airmail/Aquarium.jpg

As part of YVR's nine-gate International Terminal expansion, we are bringing the sea to the sky.

Continuing upon the Airport Authority's distinctive design tradition, the new wing will celebrate the spectacular nature of the Pacific West Coast with a Land, Sea and Sky theme.

Leading up to the new aircraft gates will be a stream running through the centre of the building spanned by several footbridges and flanked by benches, vegetation and rocks, contributing to the feeling of being in B.C.'s great outdoors. At one end of the creek will be a sculpture by B.C. artist Dempsey Bob, Creek Woman.

At the other end of the creek will be a 114 cubic litre (30,000 U.S. gallon) aquarium and a jellyfish tank. This exhibit will feature rockfish, sea aneones, star fish and a variety of local fish. The jellyfish tank will house 100 moon jellyfish, a colourful umbrella-shaped species which can grow up to 18 inches in diameter.

For many visitors from around the world, YVR is the first and final impression they have of B.C. That is why the Airport Authority spends two per cent of capital costs on creating an experience for our customers. Tourism is a major economic generator for the province, so we want to encourage passengers to return and continue exploring the region's remarkable leisure opportunities and scenery.

YVR stands as a testament to British Columbia's rich cultural heritage and rugged beauty. By creating an aesthetically pleasing environment, we are able to offer our passengers a peaceful travel experience, reduce stress and improve our overall level of customer service.

The feature is one aspect of the $420-million, nine-gate International Terminal expansion. To accommodate growing passenger traffic, and the newer, larger aircraft of the future, we are growing. Phase one of the expansion, scheduled to be completed in spring 2007, will add four gates, two of which will accommodate the new Airbus A380. The second phase, an additional five gates, could be completed as early as 2010.

The expansion is part of a $1.0-billion construction program, whose major projects are expected to generate 5,200 person-years of employment, 1,500 construction jobs and $525-million in direct GDP.

YVR 2027: Help Shape The Airport's Future

http://www.yvr.ca/authority/images/airmail/MPDraft.jpg

This spring, the Airport Authority released its draft 20-Year Master Plan YVR: Your Airport 2027. Tell us what you think of our recommendations and help us work towards a final plan.

Developed to guide future airport development, the draft plan outlines recommendations to ensure YVR remains a premier global gateway, connecting the Asia-Pacific region and the Americas. Medium-growth forecasts indicate the number of passengers, aircraft and cargo traffic at YVR could almost double by 2027.

To accommodate that growth, the draft 20-Year Master Plan includes recommendations for additional terminal facilities, taxiways, a future runway and provisions for improving access to and from the airport. The draft plan also provides a proposed 2027 Airport Land Use Plan that indicates how the limited land resource will be allocated for airport related uses.

The draft plan was developed in consultation with a broad range of stakeholders to ensure the recommendations put forth reflect the needs and concerns of the communities served by YVR.

Visit our website (http://www.yvr.ca/yourairport2027/) to explore an interactive map giving an overview of key recommendations and provide your comments online (http://www.yvr.ca/yourairport2027/masterplan_comments.asp) or email (master_plan@yvr.ca) us directly.

We want to capture as many views as possible on the proposed recommendations, and that includes you. We will be collecting feedback until August 31, 2006 in order to finalize our 20-Year Master Plan in early 2007.

Comments can also be provided by fax (604.276.6565), phone (604.276.6772) or mail:

YVR: Your Airport 2027: 20-Year Master Plan
PO Box 23750 Airport Postal Outlet
Richmond, British Columbia
V7B 1Y7

phesto
Aug 26, 2006, 2:00 AM
Thanks for the update.

Some other news-

After successfully reintroducing their Sydney-San Francisco-Vancouver routing this summer, Qantas has announced that it will also offer the routing during winter this year. The winter flights will run three times per week between December 1, 2006 and January 31, 2007. Sectors can be booked separately, meaning that these flights will increase accessibility to Vancouver from both Sydney and San Francisco.

SpongeG
Aug 30, 2006, 7:04 AM
United to launch six new routes

A reminder: resurgent United Airlines, this country’s second-largest carrier, is primed to launch six new routes on September 6, taking in both long- and medium-hauls alike. The idea is to better connect the dots, giving travelers more options between more North American cities.

Here’s what’s about to happen on Wednesday, September 6:

Daily nonstop San Francisco (SFO) to Toronto (YYZ) service aboard a full-size United A319;

Twice-daily United Express CRJ700 service between Los Angeles (LAX) and Vancouver (YVR). This relatively roomy regional jet is fitted with three classes of service: United First®, Economy Plus®, and regular economy;

Daily Denver (DEN) to Grand Rapids (GRR) service aboard a United Express CRJ-700, also configured for three-class flights;

Daily Oklahoma City (OKC) to Los Angeles service. A tri-class United Express CRJ-700 does the duty here too;

Daily Washington Dulles (IAD) to Albuquerque service. This time, the conveyance is a full-size United Airlines A319;

Daily Birmingham, AL (BHM) to Washington Dulles flights. A 50-passenger CRJ-200 regional jet makes this run.

http://news.cheapflights.com/airlines/2006/08/united_to_launc.html

SpongeG
Aug 30, 2006, 7:06 AM
Deadline to comment on airport plan looms

A new runway. Tolls on the Arthur Laing Bridge. New passenger terminal facilities and customs hall.

Those are some of the ideas in the Vancouver International Airport Authority’s draft 20-year master plan for the airport, and time is running out to respond to the ideas.

The public’s chance to comment on the proposal ends Aug. 31, after which, the airport authority will devise a final plan and submit it to federal regulators for approval.

The airport authority is predicting its passenger volume will double to 33 million passengers by 2027.

To view the plan and to offer comments, visit www.yvr.ca and “Draft 20-Year Master Plan.”

The website contains the complete plan, an interactive map, summary of recommendations and contact information in order to submit comments by e-mail, phone or fax.

http://www.richmondreview.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=45&cat=23&id=716268&more=

phesto
Sep 1, 2006, 2:21 PM
August 31, 2006 - 14:10 PM

YVR'S INTERNATIONAL TERMINAL EXPANSION EXTERIOR COMPLETED

Vancouver International Airport Authority celebrated the completion of the exterior of the first phase of the International Terminal's nine-gate expansion today as the final piece of glass was installed, completing the wall and enclosing the building.

The $200-million, 29,958 square metre building is the cornerstone of the Airport Authority's $1.0-billion construction program and will feature the first four gates. The building has been under construction since June 2005 and will be completed and operational by spring 2007.

"With the completion of the exterior of this building, YVR is one step closer to realizing its gateway potential," said Bob Cowan, Airport Authority Senior Vice President, Engineering. "When the first phase of the expansion is complete we will be better able to meet the travel needs of British Columbians and remain a significant economic generator for our region and province."

Currently, the capacity of the International Terminal is at its maximum during peak travel times. Phase one will ease the strain on facilities and will accommodate future needs and expected growth. By 2010, YVR is expected to serve 21 million passengers.

The building was constructed from 4,300 tonnes of steel and will house new waiting areas, duty-free shops, services, restaurants and dining areas. Leading up to the new aircraft gates, two of which will be able to accommodate the Airbus A380, will be a stream running through the centre of the building, contributing to the feeling of being in B.C.'s great outdoors. At the end of the creek will be a 114-cubic-litre aquarium and a jellyfish tank. The aquarium will feature sea life native to British Columbia and the jellyfish tank will house 100 moon jellyfish.

Ray Zibrik, President of YVR Project Management, the subsidiary company responsible for overseeing the project, recognized the dedication of hundreds of people in completing the building. "I am proud to report that this portion of the project was completed ahead of time and under budget. I would like to thank all of the workers, engineers and designers on this project for their hard work and dedication and congratulate them on meeting this goal."

The project was funded through a combination of airport revenue sources, including retail sales, airplane landing fees and the Airport Improvement Fee. The $1.0-billion construction program is expected to generate 5,200 person-years of employment and $525-million in direct GDP.

phesto
Sep 5, 2006, 4:03 PM
So much for Canjet (except as Charter), not good news for Harmony's YVR-YYZ.

Discount carrier CanJet cancelling scheduled service as of Sept. 10
Last Updated Tue, 05 Sep 2006 10:01:37 EDT
CBC News

Halifax-based discount carrier CanJet Airlines is pulling out of the scheduled airline business next week to focus on charters.

A CanJet 737-500 takes off from Halifax International Airport in 2005. (Canadian Press/Andrew Vaughan) "With the rising business risks of operating a scheduled airline, IMP has decided to suspend year-round scheduled airline service and focus on their increasing charter business," said Kenneth Rowe, chairman and chief executive officer of parent company IMP Group Ltd., Tuesday morning.

He promised to offer alternative travel arrangements for anyone booked on its flights after Sept. 10, the last day of scheduled service, or give full refunds to ticket holders.

He did not immediately disclose how many employees will be affected. Some will be offered positions in IMP's other aviation businesses.

The news came as a shock to employees and the Canadian fliers who have come to enjoy CanJet's low airfares and its service to Atlantic Canada, a region that local residents say is under-serviced by the mainstream carriers.

The company was advertising flights from Halifax to Toronto for only $109 as late as Tuesday morning, and flights from Toronto to Calgary for just $177.

Only last June, Julie Gossen, CanJet's executive vice-president and chief operating officer, promised to double service to Calgary from Toronto, with connections to the Atlantic Canadian municipalities of Halifax, Moncton, St. John’s and Deer Lake, N.L.

She also said CanJet was planning to add more aircraft to its fleet, and to start year-round service to Calgary, a popular destination for Atlantic Canadians who are working away from home in the oil-industry.

Ironically, the airline celebrated its fourth birthday last June, with a huge birthday cake and lots of hopes for the future. "I am very proud of our past and I look forward to our future with great optimism,” Gossen said at the time.

Launched in time of turmoil

CanJet Airlines took off for the first time in June 2002 as an alternative to Canada's mainline airlines, with a focus on Atlantic Canada.

It was a time of great turmoil in the industry, two years after Canadian Airlines was swallowed up by Air Canada and a year before Air Canada itself sought financial protection from its creditors.

Low-cost airline Canada 3000 had gone under the year before after, some said, expanding too far too fast, in a difficult market.

But that didn't stop a Montreal-based Jetsgo and CanJet launching their own discount airlines in the same month, June 2002, confusing an airline market that had been thrown into turmoil nine months earlier by the September 2001 terrorist attack on the United States.

Jetsgo subsequently went out of business, but CanJet managed to carry on, slowly building its fleet of aircraft and its network of destinations.

Canjet originally had three elderly Boeing 737 aircraft flying to three destinations, Halifax, Toronto and St. John’s. It has since expanded to 10 Boeing 737 aircraft which fly to 14 destinations in North America, while retaining its focus on Atlantic Canada.

As well as Halifax, Moncton, St. John's and Deer Lake, it serves Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver and Montreal. During the winter months, it runs numerous — and popular — flights to the Florida resorts of St. Petersburg, Orlando and Sarasota.

CanJet is a division of IMP Group Ltd., a privately held Halifax company controlled by the family of local entrepreneur Kenneth Rowe. IMP has a wide range of interests in aerospace, aviation, manufacturing, health care, industrial marine products and hotels.

With files from the Canadian Press

excel
Sep 6, 2006, 7:11 AM
Harmony's YVR-YYZ is their busiest route. All 3 flights a day have no problem selling out but usually are 75% -90% full. I'm sure the route will remain strong. Business class does very well on this route. However the CanJet alliance has benefited Harmony pretty significantly.

Holden West
Sep 8, 2006, 5:52 PM
'Aggressive' Vancouver airport expansion plan raises red flags

Last Updated: Friday, September 8, 2006 | 10:43 AM PT

CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/credit.html)

Two Richmond city councillors say Vancouver International Airport's draft expansion plans for the next 20 years spell disaster for residents of the city.
The YVR airport authority has unveiled plans to extend two existing runways, build two new ones and turn the Arthur Laing Bridge into an airport-only crossing.
One of the new runways would be built along the south arm of the Fraser River and the other would be built out into the ocean at the western end of the airport — adding capacity for about 370,000 additional takeoffs and landings at the airport every year.
The airport currently handles about 275,000 aircraft movements a year and forecasts that will increase to 484,000 takeoffs and landings by 2027.

Councillors worried, call for public involvement

Coun. Bill McNulty says he recognizes the airport is an important economic generator. But he calls the airport's expansion plans "extremely aggressive" and says they would mean "almost unbelievable" traffic volumes.
Coun. Derek Dang says the expansion wouldn't stop there, noting the airport authority also wants to take over roads and bridges in Richmond.
He says that includes a proposal that the Arthur Laing Bridge be set aside for airport traffic only, which "raised some eyebrows around the table" at Richmond City Hall.
The two councillors say the only way Richmond residents can protect their quality of life is to get more involved in putting some brakes on airport growth.
The airport currently has three runways in operation; it operated with two until 1996.

http://www.yvr.ca/yourairport2027/

phesto
Sep 8, 2006, 8:12 PM
^The transporation issue is likely to be the most contentious as the plan moves forward (both on the Vancouver and Richmond sides), but there are a number of options in facilitating the expected increase in traffic. The Canada line should also help in that regard.

It's a bit troubling that the city of Richmond would prefer to "put brakes on airport growth", rather than plan to accomodate the growth with better planning. Why turn away thousands of jobs for your own citizens, and send the growth in air traffic to Abbotsford, or worse Calgary!?!

mezzanine
Sep 8, 2006, 11:23 PM
Coun. Derek Dang says the expansion wouldn't stop there, noting the airport authority also wants to take over roads and bridges in Richmond.

^Them's fightin' words!

There will also likely be a lot of organized NIMBY opposition as I am guessing this will affect the (tony) Terra Nova neighbourhood the most.

Would the new western runway run east-west or north-south?

mr.x
Sep 8, 2006, 11:33 PM
Would the new western runway run east-west or north-south?

it would run right out to sea....so it would be east-west.

if they're planning to shut down the Arthur Liang to just airport traffic and close down the other Richmond-Sea Island bridges, they better improve the Canada Line in the future - as in much longer platforms (much longer trains), much higher frequency, and improved accessibility.

Holden West
Sep 8, 2006, 11:50 PM
I think they should build a Kai-Tak style (http://www.gla.ac.uk/%7Ewoody/pics/by-woody/aviation/ke747.jpg) airport in False Creek. :D

Nutterbug
Sep 11, 2006, 12:14 PM
Say, has anybody ever thought of adding a bunch of slot machines and blackjack tables to the airport as part of its expansion plans, to milk every last penny out of bored travellers who have to wait many long hours for their flight?

Am I evil or what? :evil:

tayser
Sep 11, 2006, 12:40 PM
^Interesting. What's the point of having a Jetstar International? Are the fares going to be lower than what Qantas would charge?

sorry, Im about 6 months late in replying ;)

Jetstar aims to have a cost base 40% lower than Qantas & in effect is more about the leisure market (AU-CA traffic is likely to be dominated with traffic year round following the seasons, business class you'd still be able to do with Qantas through LAX (main North American hub) and SFO on Qantas Mainline (which connects to the AA network)). The international long haul flights have been launched (http://www.jetstar.com/) with two different classes:

MEL/SYD/BNE to Bangkok, Phuket, Osaka, Honalulu, Bali, Ho Chi Minh - and these are going to be flown on A330 aircraft that Qantas currently fly under that banner (MEL-PER and SYD-PER).

Vancouver has cropped up in many different news snippets as most likely destinations, including a direct Melbourne service. And the longer destinations such as Van will only (realistically) start happening when they get their order of 787s.

Bus pass
Sep 11, 2006, 3:04 PM
Connect YVR and Abbotsford with high-speed rail.

cornholio
Sep 12, 2006, 1:55 AM
Say, has anybody ever thought of adding a bunch of slot machines and blackjack tables to the airport as part of its expansion plans, to milk every last penny out of bored travellers who have to wait many long hours for their flight?

Am I evil or what? :evil:

You know I always thought of the same thing, you could realy make some good money. Just stick a huge casino in there and a small playland type park for the kids(since they cant gambel, or do the laws not apply in the airport?).

The only negative I could think of is people subconciously having a negative view of Vancouver because it ruined their vacation by taking all their money.

The big positive is the big revenue of a casino with out the negative effects of homlesnes, residents going bankrupt, family problems, crime, etc. because we ship out the gambelers on their next flight. They become someone elses problem if their adicted.:D