PDA

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143

Yume-sama
Feb 9, 2010, 8:56 AM
Cool :) YVR said on the news today that today was the busiest yet, over 40,000 arrivals and 1,000+ athletes.

Hopefully it's not toooo busy on Wednesday for me :P

Denscity
Feb 9, 2010, 10:07 AM
I went to YVR today just to check out the scene. It wasn't as busy as i had hoped. I was there roughly 1230-230. I was there when a plane from Frankfurt landed and saw 5 cameras set up and many German/Polish media catching a glimpse of some of their athletes arriving at the airport. Pretty cool. I think i was in a couple of their shots as these athletes walked by me. I also saw Patrick Chan arrive from Colorado.

SpongeG
Feb 9, 2010, 11:29 AM
cool i have to go geek out at the airport

SpongeG
Feb 9, 2010, 12:22 PM
video of the arrivals

http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/index.html?releasePID=YNJJwXOezPTWhGPKs3NDbL0CptjJWifE

SpongeG
Feb 11, 2010, 1:13 PM
784yPZ_9bow

trofirhen
Feb 11, 2010, 8:03 PM
:previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous:

cool video! makes me almost homesick!

Yume-sama
Feb 11, 2010, 11:37 PM
A rare visitor! One of two Olympic charters by Aeroflot.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2744/4349106147_587d02bc17_b.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/two-six_left/4349106147/

There are several billion dollars worth of private jets sitting around, too :P Too bad Oprah and Donald aren't gonna show up with theirs!

Yume-sama
Feb 12, 2010, 3:43 AM
Joe Bidens luggage has arrived. Not kidding :P This actually carries his car(s) for his motorcade, and can carry a helicopter if necessary.

When Obama travels it requires a couple of these.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2679/4345364188_6ba288db55_o.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bfiguy/4345364188/

metroXpress
Feb 12, 2010, 8:03 PM
thanks for the pics and video

SpongeG
Feb 15, 2010, 9:54 AM
"It is a place visited first when you go to see the Olympics. "

9Sq9Q-jVQ2I

Denscity
Feb 19, 2010, 9:24 PM
Sir Richard Branson said while responding to the negative british press about vancouver that Virgin Atlantic will be flying Yvr to London in about a year and a half. Did we know this already?

Yume-sama
Feb 19, 2010, 9:40 PM
I didn't!

SpongeG
Feb 19, 2010, 10:12 PM
i heard that they wanted to get virgin here but i thought it was for LA-vancouver

deasine
Feb 19, 2010, 11:50 PM
Virgin wanted to expand Virgin America up towards Canada, with flights beginning from Vancouver to LA first.

SpongeG
Feb 20, 2010, 12:05 AM
good to know we might get london - vancouver virgin service :) i flew them from london to joburg - nice flight nice goodies :)

trofirhen
Feb 20, 2010, 12:35 AM
I'll break out my own bottle of champagne when YVR gets a few more year-round overseas destinations (Paris of course) but also places like Bangkok, Rome, Dubai (yes! Dubai !!) Brisbane, Copenhagen, Osaka, Melbourne, Miami, Munich ....... :P

SpongeG
Feb 20, 2010, 12:42 AM
and india! there should be some direct flights to there

most people seem to have go via london or hong kong

trofirhen
Feb 20, 2010, 2:10 AM
and india! there should be some direct flights to there

most people seem to have go via london or hong kong

Of course!! India!! It had slipped my mind for that moment.

Over the pole to Delhi and Mumbai !!

SpongeG
Feb 20, 2010, 4:16 AM
Virgin air at YVR?

watch the news video here (http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/index.html?releasePID=NjVYbqH0xu9TUxOtRspZWF5zRi9oZ7ah)

whatnext
Feb 20, 2010, 7:25 AM
:previous: Since when is Virgin Atlantic a "low cost carrier"? Still, it would be good to see them here, and even better if Virgin America added a connecting flight to LAX or SFO.

deasine
Feb 20, 2010, 7:57 AM
Chris Gailus was referring to Virgin America, which is considered a cheap airline. And cheap considering their level of service of the planes.

SpongeG
Feb 20, 2010, 8:21 AM
it was the cheapest fare i found to fly from london to uk when i was looking

i can still remember how delicious the gross looking breakfast was - haha it looked awful but it tasted so good - i dream of it

Dr Nevergold
Feb 20, 2010, 8:37 AM
784yPZ_9bow

An absolutely amazing, high quality video. Love the 720p version, and the fact that you can see Coquitlam, New Westminster, Burnaby/Metrotown, Downtown... Great find!

whatnext
Feb 20, 2010, 4:34 PM
Chris Gailus was referring to Virgin America, which is considered a cheap airline. And cheap considering their level of service of the planes.

Then Gailus should have listened to Sir Richard more carefully, as SRB specifically says "Virgin Atlantic".

trofirhen
Feb 20, 2010, 11:07 PM
What about more flights to continental Europe? (and not just Paris ! !) Any information on possibilities for this? (regardless of the airline)

MalcolmTucker
Feb 21, 2010, 12:41 AM
I would gander that a probable new entrant for Vancouver will be Iceland Air. Right now they are re-jigging all their service to try to earn lots of hard currency due to their problems, trying to be a sort of Dubai type stop between North America and Europe. They are soon to start a new service from Toronto on this basis, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it expanded to other cities.

Johnny Aussie
Feb 21, 2010, 7:54 AM
Looks like DL is going to 4 daily MSP (5 flights on day 6) for the summer scheds.

DL summer ops:
MSP 29/week (all 319)
DTW 7/week (319)
ATL 3/week (757)
MEM 1/week (320)
SLC 21/week (7-CRJ, 7-CR7, 7-CR9)

Day 6 will see 11 DL ops... going to be busy at check-in around 10:00-12:00.

whatnext
Feb 21, 2010, 6:24 PM
I would gander that a probable new entrant for Vancouver will be Iceland Air. Right now they are re-jigging all their service to try to earn lots of hard currency due to their problems, trying to be a sort of Dubai type stop between North America and Europe. They are soon to start a new service from Toronto on this basis, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it expanded to other cities.

But why would you bother to stop in Iceland when there's plenty of direct service? Dubai = heat, beaches + shopping. Iceland, not so much.

MalcolmTucker
Feb 21, 2010, 7:17 PM
But why would you bother to stop in Iceland when there's plenty of direct service? Dubai = heat, beaches + shopping. Iceland, not so much.

Cheapness and connections. I don`t think Vancouver is going to get direct Helsinki or Dusseldorf flights anytime soon but with just one transfer in Iceland...

Yume-sama
Feb 21, 2010, 7:19 PM
Reykjavík is quite an interesting place, too! There are quite a lot of connecting flights to other less popular European countries, too, as was mentioned, like Finland, Norway, and even Russia.

usog
Feb 21, 2010, 8:59 PM
Came in through YVR right when the two charters from Moscow came in, place was flooded with Russian wear/banners lol.

SpongeG
Feb 21, 2010, 9:09 PM
the city is full of russians - not only the athletes but the whole sochi team performers for the closing, radio people, tv people, the rusky dome staff its nuts

trofirhen
Feb 21, 2010, 10:04 PM
Airports with yearly passenger volumes extremely close to Vancouver are Brisbane, Oslo and Stockholm Arlanda.

I could visualize a direct flight to Brisbane, continuing on to Melbourne, in addition to the Sydney nonstop we have now, plus a Vancouver - Oslo - Stockholm flight. I don't think this would be a revenue loser, considering the sizeable Scandinavian population in Vancouver.

Copenhagen Kastrup, incidentally, has applied for a direct flight to Vancouver. They should be able to get it with the Open Skies agreement, but with Scandinavian Airlines cutting back (look at Seattle!) I think another airline would have to fill that route - probably any others, too.

Like Air Paper Cup and Stale Pastry (you know the toothpaste planes with the maple leaves on the tail)

SpongeG
Feb 24, 2010, 2:21 AM
global is doing a storey about Emirates

they want to do daily service to Calgary, Vancouver and Toronto ASAP

they are fighting regulation right now

BC government is doing what it can to get them here and are in talks with them

The_Henry_Man
Feb 24, 2010, 2:24 AM
The federal government needs to implement open skies ASAP after the Olympics. But I think the Olympics will allow federal officials to realize that there's more than just Air Canada. Perhaps WestJet can one day expand its services to cover international flights and replace Canadian Airlines as the second major Canadian competitor to Air Can?

I was hoping for quite a while that Cathay Pacific might one day have a non-stop from HK to Calgary (like 2-3 time per week), or even a stop over destination on its way to Toronto (or via YVR). There's quite a significant population of Chinese people in Alberta.

CLC
Feb 24, 2010, 3:27 AM
A news that Zwei would love to share:
Man hit by SkyTrain remains in hospital

Miné Salkin

Vancouver, BC — Globe and Mail update Published on Tuesday, Feb. 23, 2010 5:42PM EST Last updated on Tuesday, Feb. 23, 2010 5:43PM EST

A young man who was struck by a SkyTrain in the early hours of Tuesday morning in Vancouver has undergone surgery and remains in hospital, TransLink has confirmed. An investigation will be launched to determine the cause of the incident.

Around 2 a.m., the victim's arm was allegedly caught by a slowing train at Burrard Station downtown. Paramedics were on the scene within minutes, and rushed the victim to hospital where he was treated for his injuries.

The cause of the incident is unknown. “Since it was early in the morning, it wasn't because there were too many people on the platform, we don't allow that to happen anyway,” said Ken Hardie, a spokesperson for TransLink.

Mr. Hardie added that TransLink did not know the victim's name, nor the status of his condition. “We don't know if he was from Vancouver or not,” he said.

According to TransLink, there would have been an employee near the platform, in addition to people in the control room to monitor the situation. However, injuries on the platform do still occur.

“In any situation like this - and they come up a couple of times a year, unfortunately -Min there are videos taken continuously of what's going on at the platforms. These will be reviewed by [TransLink] and the safety authority to find out what may have happened,” Mr. Hardie said.

cabotp
Feb 24, 2010, 9:11 AM
:previous:

I don't have any details. But I'd venture to guess that this person was a bit drunk and either didn't know how close they were to the edge. Or they did know and they were acting like an idiot trying to see how close they could get. Well they got close enough.

Trains just don't suddenly jump out of no where and hit people. People get in the way of moving trains.

SpongeG
Feb 24, 2010, 9:56 AM
Emirates pushes for greater access in Canada

Study commissioned by Dubai-based carrier touts economic benefits; Air Canada derides 'aggressive tactics' to win international traffic

BRENT JANG

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail
Published on Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2010 12:00AM EST
Last updated on Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2010 4:42AM EST

TRANSPORTATION REPORTER

Canada stands to reap $480-million in annual economic benefits by approving Emirates Airline's plan to expand its Toronto flights and introduce service to Calgary and Vancouver, according to a study commissioned by the Dubai-based carrier.

More than 2,800 direct and spinoff jobs could be generated if Ottawa lifts restrictions that currently limit Emirates to flying three times a week between Toronto and Dubai in the United Arab Emirates, said the analysis by InterVistas Consulting Inc.

The report riled Air Canada and its supporters. "This is part and parcel of Emirates' aggressive tactics to force Canada into a one-sided air services agreement. The UAE already enjoys access to Canada which far exceeds the traffic between both countries," Air Canada spokesman Peter Fitzpatrick said yesterday.

But Andrew Parker, Emirates senior vice-president of international affairs, said Air Canada and its Star Alliance partner, Germany's Deutsche Lufthansa AG, are unnecessarily worried about losing passengers to Emirates.

Emirates' Toronto-Dubai flights have been more than 90-per-cent full, even after switching to the double-decker Airbus A380 on the route last June, Mr. Parker said in an interview, after appearing on a webcast yesterday from the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics with B.C. Transportation Minister Shirley Bond.

Provincial governments in British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario support Emirates' campaign for greater access in Canada.

The study by Vancouver-based InterVistas argues that Emirates' expansion in Canada would have a "low" impact on Air Canada's international traffic.

Emirates offers connecting flights from its Dubai hub to Asia, Africa and other destinations, but InterVistas noted that Air Canada does not operate non-stop flights to Dubai, relying instead on partners in Europe to serve a variety of global destinations.

Emirates wants to increase its Toronto-Dubai service initially to daily flights and then twice daily. The airline also hopes to launch the Vancouver-Dubai and Calgary-Dubai routes, perhaps three times a week to start and then daily service. Another carrier, Etihad Airways, currently flies three times a week between Toronto and Abu Dhabi.

Transport Canada spokesman Patrick Charette said current capacity supplied by Emirates and Etihad exceed travel demand, so there isn't any seat shortage.

"Officials continuously monitor the Canada-UAE market to ensure it is not underserved, as this would not be in the commercial interest of either country," Mr. Charette said. "The rights under the current Canada-UAE air transport agreement meet the market demands of travellers whose origin or final destination is either Canada or the UAE."

Captain Paul Strachan, president of the Air Canada Pilots Association, said Emirates is playing down its true ambition of wooing customers in Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver to travel to places other than Dubai. Emirates is trying to funnel foreign travellers connecting through its Dubai hub, which serves as the entry point into Canada, he said.

"Quite frankly, Emirates wants to dump new seat capacity into established markets and poach traffic," Capt. Strachan said. He disputed Emirates' assertion that increased flights will provide economic stimulus to Canada and accused Emirates of taking aim at lucrative international traffic at Air Canada.

Emirates, owned by the Dubai government, "has a tactic to break into markets and expand aggressively, but free trade in aviation has to be fair trade. In this instance, it's a lopsided proposal by Emirates," Capt. Strachan said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/emirates-pushes-for-greater-access-in-canada/article1479266/

SpongeG
Feb 25, 2010, 2:37 AM
Wed, Feb 24 - Another Polish citizen "appears" to go missing at the Vancouver Airport.

video from global here (http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/index.html?releasePID=0FegV88J3p5r4Z0xYPTBpqgDun4aN_it)

SpongeG
Feb 25, 2010, 2:41 AM
Emirates to Fly Here?

global video (http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/index.html?releasePID=Sn00PzTT0IIzRcXneLNt9h2Zr4wTsChc)

trofirhen
Feb 25, 2010, 4:38 AM
Emirates to Fly Here?

global video (http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/index.html?releasePID=Sn00PzTT0IIzRcXneLNt9h2Zr4wTsChc)
:previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous:
If Emirates, and other airlines outside the Canada-EU Open Skies agreement area, are not allowed access to Vancouver, they will simply do what Air France did.

They'll say "Fine, we'll go to Seattle instead." And Vancouver will lose not only hundreds of jobs, but YVR will be increasingly eclipsed by Seattle, and in addition, we"ll suffer as a tourist / business destination because of it.

When Lawrence Cannon was Minister of Transport under the Liberals (he was a boy from Gatineau) he did NOTHING for Vancouver or Western Canada in terms of expanding airline access.

Ditto John Baird (also from Ontario) who has been flooded with letters and emails on this topic, yet seems to refuse to want to budge. What to do?
Emirates could be invited to become a Star Alliance member, though that's highly unlikely.

So, if you care about maintaining YVR's status as a major international hub, about the only way would seem to be to "turn up the volume." Lobby hard, get out there, contact John Baird and the Ministry of Transport, kick, scream, and make as much noise as you can.

I don't want to see YVR fading, while Sea-Tac ramps up its flights and becomes the Pacific Northwest's major overseas destination.

Do you?

MalcolmTucker
Feb 25, 2010, 4:50 AM
Umm... doesn't Seatac already handle almost twice the pax as YVR?

Zassk
Feb 25, 2010, 5:01 AM
^ Those are mostly domestic "pax" in Sea-Tac, unlike YVR, isn't it?

trofirhen
Feb 25, 2010, 5:08 AM
^Yes, from what a YVR rep told me, the higher numbers of Seattle are mostly domestic. (Let's try and keep it that way. Get as many foreign carriers as we can)!!!

SpongeG
Feb 25, 2010, 6:50 AM
in the video the BC minister has said she has talked with Air China and Cathay and some other asian airlines this week as well - all wanting to get in here as well

trofirhen
Feb 25, 2010, 8:14 AM
in the video the BC minister has said she has talked with Air China and Cathay and some other asian airlines this week as well - all wanting to get in here as well

I thought they were already into Vancouver. Years ago they used to fly four times a week to HK. Did they pull out, too, like SQL ?????

If this is the case, we have to smarten up, cowboy up, and get agressive -- FAST !!!!

deasine
Feb 25, 2010, 8:18 AM
...As in getting more flights in to Vancouver.

SpongeG
Feb 25, 2010, 10:07 AM
yeah i think thats what she meant increased frequency if they are already here

in the story it says YVR can handle 30 more flights per day and they are hoping to get to that number

trofirhen
Feb 25, 2010, 11:32 AM
...As in getting more flights in to Vancouver.

Yes. More flights. More airlines. More destinations.

Millennium2002
Feb 25, 2010, 11:51 AM
The more I hear, the more I wish the government was less bureaucratic and more open to competition in areas like the airline industry.

On the other hand, I seriously doubt that anything will change so long as the Eastern provinces continue to get overwhelming representation compared to us in terms of government ministers and the like.

trofirhen
Feb 25, 2010, 12:00 PM
The more I hear, the more I wish the government was less bureaucratic and more open to competition in areas like the airline industry.

On the other hand, I seriously doubt that anything will change so long as the Eastern provinces continue to get overwhelming representation compared to us in terms of government ministers and the like.

That's exactly the essence of the whole thing. That's what it boils down to. Excellent point. :hell:

MalcolmTucker
Feb 25, 2010, 12:33 PM

Well, Emirates wants more slots in Toronto too, and is being denied. Does that make you happy?

trofirhen
Feb 25, 2010, 4:38 PM
:previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous:

At least they are being allowed into Toronto; Emirates and Etihad Airlines of Abu Dhabi.

It really boils down to what Allen said about the electorate base back east, and Air Canada's Star Alliance partners, like Lufthansa, fearing that a route from Vancouver/ Calgary to Dubai will siphon off connections from them (Star Alliance)

It's partly electoral, and partly a case of "you kiss my butt, and I'll kiss yours," in the context of airline alliances.

But it's not free market, it's not competitive, it's restrictive, and unfair. And jobs are being lost as a result, to boot.

MalcolmTucker
Feb 25, 2010, 5:13 PM
^ They aren't being 'let' into Toronto. UAE has six slots a week, they can go to any city they want to. They want to go to Toronto. In fact, the UAE just linked extending Canada's lease on a military base there to getting 14 slots a week to use to service Toronto.

trofirhen
Feb 25, 2010, 5:31 PM
^ They aren't being 'let' into Toronto. UAE has six slots a week, they can go to any city they want to. They want to go to Toronto. In fact, the UAE just linked extending Canada's lease on a military base there to getting 14 slots a week to use to service Toronto.

Excuse me, but I don't understand. If UAE (I presume you mean Emirates) can go into any city in Canada that they want to, then why aren't they already flying into Vancouver and Calgary, as they have oft requested? Maybe I'm backwards, but regarding your response; I just don't get it.

MalcolmTucker
Feb 25, 2010, 5:47 PM
Excuse me, but I don't understand. If UAE (I presume you mean Emirates) can go into any city in Canada that they want to, then why aren't they already flying into Vancouver and Calgary, as they have oft requested? Maybe I'm backwards, but regarding your response; I just don't get it.

They can fly to any city. They just only have 6 flights a week to serve all of Canada. All 6 slots are currently serving Toronto by choice of Emirates and Etihad.

trofirhen
Feb 25, 2010, 6:07 PM
They can fly to any city. They just only have 6 flights a week to serve all of Canada. All 6 slots are currently serving Toronto by choice of Emirates and Etihad.

That's normal, considering that Toronto is by far the largest and most important city in the country. What is NOT normal is that silly six flights a week clause. Thank you for the clarification.

sacrifice333
Feb 25, 2010, 6:09 PM
CanadaLine will be open 24 hrs Feb28 to March 1

Overground
Feb 25, 2010, 6:23 PM
In regards to Sea-Tac. In 2008 their total passenger numbers were almost double that of YVR at 32m compared to YVR 17m.

International numbers are quite different. Sea-Tac had 2.9m while YVR had 8.4m international/transborder. Now the YVR number includes 4.3m transborder but I'm not sure if the Sea-Tac figure includes that.
Either way, without transborder flights out of YVR, it still has 4.1m international. Quite a number considering how much more passengers use Sea-Tac.

Zassk
Feb 25, 2010, 6:23 PM
^ Yes, that was mentioned previously. I wonder if YVR contributed funds toward this, or if Vanoc is footing the whole bill. It would be in YVR's best interest to have the line running on this particular night.

trofirhen
Feb 25, 2010, 6:26 PM
In regards to Sea-Tac. In 2008 their total passenger numbers were almost double that of YVR at 32m compared to YVR 17m.

International numbers are quite different. Sea-Tac had 2.9m while YVR had 8.4m international/transborder. Now the YVR number includes 4.3m transborder but I'm not sure if the Sea-Tac figure includes that.
Either way, without transborder flights out of YVR, it still has 4.1m international. Quite a number considering how much more passengers use Sea-Tac.

(In Vancouver's case, I thought that the aircraft movements included flights from the South Terminal: i.e; small planes serving very local destinations. I don't think that is the case at Sea-Tac, where the aircraft movements are mostly larger jets. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

But as you point out, the ratio of international travel out of Vancouver is considerably higher than out of Sea-Tac. To be fair, Sea-Tac has to compete with SFO and LAX for overseas flights, so probably a lot of flights go there (California) first, or else Sea-Tac passengers are obliged to change planes.

Vancouver is Canada's ONLY major city on the west coast, so it makes sense that overseas flights into this end of the country are concentrated here, resulting in a higher percentage of international / transborder flights.

Incidentally, 32m passengers per year is about the same as Toronto, and look at the vast ratio difference in domestic /transborder / overseas flights between Toronto and Seattle.

Denscity
Feb 25, 2010, 6:34 PM
News 1130 is reporting more flights from yvr to china on air china will be added. They mentioned they currently fly daily to beijing so a possible addition to this route? My radio is in another room so couldn't quite hear the whole report.

Overground
Feb 25, 2010, 7:10 PM
(In Vancouver's case, I thought that the aircraft movements included flights from the South Terminal: i.e; small planes serving very local destinations. I don't think that is the case at Sea-Tac, where the aircraft movements are mostly larger jets. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

YVR movements include all runway/non-runway, general aviation, etc.
The Sea-Tac number I have includes all movements including GA, military, air taxi, etc.

Total movements(2008)

YVR - 339k

Sea-Tac - 345k (air carrier movements - 306,000. GA - 4,100)

Overground
Feb 25, 2010, 7:14 PM

The Sea-Tac number I have includes all movements including GA, military, air taxi, etc. But ya, as the figures below show for Sea-Tac, their GA flights are very small in number. YVR is considerably more I think....but I'll have to dig up the stats on that.

Total movements(2008)

YVR - 339k

trofirhen
Feb 25, 2010, 7:30 PM
The Sea-Tac number I have includes all movements including GA, military, air taxi, etc. But ya, as the figures below show for Sea-Tac, their GA flights are very small in number. YVR is considerably more I think....but I'll have to dig up the stats on that.

Total movements(2008)

YVR - 339k

please: what does GA mean? (sorry to be so uninformed)!!!!!:koko:

Yume-sama
Feb 25, 2010, 7:31 PM
General Aviation :D I'd assume :P

cabotp
Feb 25, 2010, 9:16 PM

The only way we would get more representation is to increase our population ratio versus the eastern provinces. Representation is based on population. Ontario and Quebec have the highest population thus having the most representation.

So we just need to start procreating in the west and having 10 babies per family :haha:

Yume-sama
Feb 25, 2010, 9:32 PM
The only way we would get more representation is to increase our population ratio versus the eastern provinces. Representation is based on population. Ontario and Quebec have the highest population thus having the most representation.

So we just need to start procreating in the west and having 10 babies per family :haha:

Get a direct flight to Mumbai and open up immigration from India. Problem solved. :notacrook:

Yume-sama
Feb 25, 2010, 10:51 PM
Apparently another fee of between $2.50 (Canada) and $9 (International) is coming as of April 1st, on every ticket through YVR.

mr.x
Feb 25, 2010, 10:56 PM
^ lol, more YVR expansion plans?

Yume-sama
Feb 25, 2010, 10:57 PM
They didn't really explain :P However, it followed the story about a "temporary" $5 million terminal for March 1st, and the athletes being able to check their baggage at the Olympic Village, to be transported to YVR.

So far the numbers are nearly 40,000 passengers booked for March 1st. Current busiest day ever was 26,000.

trofirhen
Feb 26, 2010, 12:33 AM
Next week's issue of Busines in Vancouver // biz.van // is going to have an in-depth article about the loggerhead between airlines wanting to land at Vancouver and Calgary (in the case of Emirates) and the BC Minister of Transport, who has been working side-by-side with Emirates to get landing rights here; and the Feds, under Ontario boy John Baird, who keeps the number of UAE airlines restricted to six, so that they'll only serve the Toronto market.

Appently things between the Western provinces and Ottawa are heating up, and John Baird has been swamped with letters, calls and e-mails requesting a liberalization of air routes.

(Interesting that BC now has a Minister of Transport. I don't think that portfolio existed when I lived in Canada.)

mr.x
Feb 26, 2010, 12:38 AM
^ they are referring to the Minister of Transportation of the Government of British Columbia, who presides over the Ministry of Transportation and was historically responsible for BC Ferries, BC Rail, BC Transit, and now Translink. The current Minister of Transportation is Shirley Bond, former BC Minister of Education.

SpongeG
Feb 26, 2010, 7:25 AM
the increase in fees is not from YVR

Ottawa is collecting it at all airports in Canada for improved Airport Security

Yume-sama
Feb 26, 2010, 7:26 AM
Yes, the CTV news tonight actually explained this, unlike the earlier news, which just said it is coming to YVR... but not until after Olympic visitors leave.

I guess we're paying for the right to be digitally stripsearched.

SpongeG
Feb 26, 2010, 7:27 AM
i heard it on CKNW this afternoon - yay more fees - not like i travel haha

jsbertram
Feb 26, 2010, 9:34 AM
the increase in fees is not from YVR

Ottawa is collecting it at all airports in Canada for improved Airport Security

This is a increased security fee at all airports to get $1.5 Billion to put the new nudie-scanners in airports across the country.

Yume-sama
Mar 2, 2010, 8:02 AM
Busy day at YVR!

Travel Service direct to Prague
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2803/4400108071_f3fb9a689a.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/two-six_left/4400108071

Won't ever see this again :P Two Lufthansa side by side at YVR
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2755/4400877162_a488a6da5e.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/two-six_left/4400877162

Finnair to Helsinki in the background, AC777 to Paris taking off
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4400880464_10d216bbd1.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/two-six_left/4400880464

Volunteers provided "entertainment" and drinks to passengers waiting in line to check-in at YVR through-out the day. To make their departing experience, as good as their Olympic experience :D

SpongeG
Mar 2, 2010, 10:51 AM
00P9fvgGuww

trofirhen
Mar 2, 2010, 9:12 PM
This has been a great experience, globally speaking, and Canada, and the city of Vancouver will bask in an afterglow for a long time to come.

So now after the Para-Olympics are terminated, it will be gradually life back to normal. On with business as usual.
Regarding business......

An issue that arouse an an outgrowth of the Olympic experience was the high-profiling of the ongoing request of Emirates to fly to Vancouver and Calgary.

It was noted that part of the reason for the reful was that it would offend AC star alliace partner, Lufthansa, who felt that any flight to What could be served in The Middle East plus African and Asian destinations could and should be routed to Frankfurt, for a Lufthansa connector.

Having Emirates at YVR, (and anyone else who wants to start scheduled service), creates, as we know, hundreds of man-hours of work.

If that is the case, couldn't we have Emirates, in exchange for giving Lufthansa first dibs on a lucative Canada - EU route, under the Open Skies Agreement? :sly:

Or is it not done that way? (Perhaps a secret meeting of the respective airline representatives in a Geneva office building) ???

MalcolmTucker
Mar 2, 2010, 9:41 PM
Open skies is just that - open. No preference, no horse trading.

trofirhen
Mar 2, 2010, 10:38 PM
Open skies is just that - open. No preference, no horse trading.

Am I correct? If, (on the off-chance), Ottawa does allow Emirates here at YVR, if Lufthansa feels sore about it, they'll just have to get used to being sore.

Lufthansa and AC are currently Star Alliance partners, hence the "conflict of interest" if you will.

As such, could the decision still sway toward Lufthansa: no Emirates. Does that mean Ottawa (air canada) still bear to Luftansa's displeasure / or be "gutsy" ifthat's possible for Ottawa)) and allow them (Emir§) in anyway?

That's the part I'd like to know.

MalcolmTucker
Mar 2, 2010, 10:48 PM
We have open skies with europe (in the implementation phase right now, the deal is signed), not UAE. So we can't horse trade things to and from Europe, since they already have full access.

trofirhen
Mar 2, 2010, 11:00 PM
:frog: We have open skies with europe (in the implementation phase right now, the deal is signed), not UAE. So we can't horse trade things to and from Europe, since they already have full access.

I think LH fears a decline in YVR -FRA traffic if Emirates is allowed anyway.
Can any of this explain away the reluctance of the fed to allow Emirates to YVR and CGY. Are the feds bending to European and / Star Alliance pressure now?

In other words: WHAT'S THEIR MOTIVE?

trofirhen
Mar 2, 2010, 11:38 PM
Regarding the Emirates Battle, I was advised by a magazine staff member to look at the article this week In Business in Vancouver. (biv.com)

So I went to the site, found the headline to the article, but when I tried to downlaod it, was informed that I had to have a magazine substriction to read
it.

Protection of intellectual property. Understandable.

Anyway, thought any interested people might have this article. Thank you. :)

whatnext
Mar 3, 2010, 12:42 AM
...Having Emirates at YVR, (and anyone else who wants to start scheduled service), creates, as we know, hundreds of man-hours of work...

How exactly? An business Emirates gets will be poached from existing carriers already employing Canadians at YVR. Its not as if there will be a huge new market of Emirati who were dying to visit Vancouver.

trofirhen
Mar 3, 2010, 2:20 AM
How exactly? An business Emirates gets will be poached from existing carriers already employing Canadians at YVR. Its not as if there will be a huge new market of Emirati who were dying to visit Vancouver.

Well, they've been flying full on Airbus 380 into Toronto, indicating a certain interest in Canada (can be all Toronto-related)
Emirates has ovious interest in the Alberta oil economy. Hence Calgary.
Vancouver is considered a major tourist destination, apparently.

Ground maintence and all related work take man hours.

You seemed to imply an opposition to this work being "poached" by Canadain workers. I think the objective here is supply work to Canadians.
Do I understand correctly. :rolleyes:

MalcolmTucker
Mar 3, 2010, 2:24 AM
^ Do you think Emirates does aircraft overhaul in Canada? And yeah, since there is little to no O&D between UAE and Canada most of the traffic will come from displacement.

whatnext
Mar 3, 2010, 2:49 AM
Well, they've been flying full on Airbus 380 into Toronto, indicating a certain interest in Canada (can be all Toronto-related)
Emirates has ovious interest in the Alberta oil economy. Hence Calgary.
Vancouver is considered a major tourist destination, apparently.

That A380 is full? I believe others have estimated a 65% load factor.

Ground maintence and all related work take man hours. You seemed to imply an opposition to this work being "poached" by Canadain workers. I think the objective here is supply work to Canadians.
Do I understand correctly. :rolleyes:

You misunderstood. My point is there are no "new" jobs created. Existing workers will merely lose their jobs to those servicing Emirates.

Until Emirates competes on a level playing field, with no state support or preferential treatment from Dubai, their request should be denied. As it is the Canadian gov't handicaps Air Canada by mandating them (alone of all carriers) to provide service in French, keep their head office in Montreal etc. To top it off Canadian carriers are crippled by onerous fuel taxes here.

eemy
Mar 3, 2010, 3:54 AM
In negotiating these bilaterals, the Canadian government considers the interest of both Canadian consumers and Canadian business. They want to ensure first of all that Canadian businesses won't be unduly affected by expanding the bilateral, and secondly, that Canadian consumers won't be negatively affected by the bilateral, and lastly, that the expanded rights are equitable (ie. the benefit to the UAE is balanced with the benefit to Canadian businesses and individuals).

It is important in trying to address the above concerns, to understand what expanded rights to the UAE would actually mean. Despite the oil connections, there is very little origin and destination traffic to the UAE (one of the basic criteria for establishing a bilateral in the first place). The 6 weekly flights between the two countries more than accounts for the number of people traveling between them. Instead, Emirates is interested in serving traffic beyond Dubai, primarily to the Indian subcontinent where they have an extensive network.

At the outset, the primary benefit to Canadian travelers would be increased competition on travel to the subcontinent. Nevertheless, there are already plenty of carriers who compete in this market, including Air Canada, who codeshares with Lufthansa, and more significantly has a joint venture with Lufthansa on all trans-Atlantic flights.

This continued competition is by no means assured though. I doubt that a well established carrier like Lufthansa would be tremendously effected by Emirates expanding in Canada; however, other carriers with looser ties may be. BA and KLM in Calgary would be high on the list of carriers which would be very highly effected by EK entering into Calgary. Vancouver would likely prove somewhat more resilient; however, I'm not sure how well it would fair, since its European network is a lot leaner than Toronto or Montreal. The greatest effect would actually be on carriers which already serve the subcontinent. Top of the list is Pakistan Airways to Toronto. Next, the various carriers from India, which have already started expanding in Toronto, and all of which have indicated future plans to serve Vancouver.

You could argue that Air Canada is the primary opponent to EK having greater access to the Canadian market; however, I don't think that that is necessarily top of the concerns of the Canadian government. Direct connections to Pakistan and India are far more important than connections through an intermediate hub, particularly one for which there is very little origin and destination traffic. The stakes here are, on the one hand, a marginal increase in competition to the subcontinent, and on the other hand, the very real possibility of a reduction in competition on the route as Emirates undercuts other airlines offering direct service. Expanded rights between the UAE and Canada benefits the UAE almost entirely, and offer very little which would benefit either Canadian consumers, or Canadian businesses. This is obviously unacceptable for the Canadian government, and why I would be very surprised to see the bilateral expanded anytime soon.

SpongeG
Mar 3, 2010, 4:28 AM

there are 1000's of arab students here in vancouver alone - emirates would be a great flight for them to get here

i made friends with a few - they come here to learn english and go to university etc and fly back home when they can for a break - if they could get a direct flight on a familiar halal friendly airline they would love it

plus it would give good connections to places like pakistan, india, africa etc.

trofirhen
Mar 3, 2010, 4:33 PM
there are 1000's of arab students here in vancouver alone - emirates would be a great flight for them to get here

i made friends with a few - they come here to learn english and go to university etc and fly back home when they can for a break - if they could get a direct flight on a familiar halal friendly airline they would love it

plus it would give good connections to places like pakistan, india, africa etc.

AGREED. TOTALLY. (for the record.)

SpongeG
Mar 3, 2010, 10:19 PM
my friend wants to go back to Pakistan next year - his friend just went back this year and flew via dubai but he had to go to toronto first - my friend is going to try the same route since his friend raved about going via dubai - but isn't looking forward to a layover in toronto

vanman
Mar 3, 2010, 11:32 PM
So with YVR having it's busiest day ever on Monday have there been any issues or problems at all ??? I haven't heard anything from the news.

SpongeG
Mar 4, 2010, 12:23 AM
seems to have gone smoothly

i was watching the one report - one biathlete alone has about 25 pairs of skis and multiple rifles - thats a lot of luggage to deal with

Canadian Mind
Mar 4, 2010, 12:24 AM
No news probably means good news in this case.

vanman
Mar 4, 2010, 7:30 AM
^ That's pretty much what I was thinking, just wondering if anybody heard anything different.

Yume-sama
Mar 4, 2010, 7:36 AM
It was pretty dead today. Arrived 45 minutes before my flight, no line at check-in, no line at security... no line at the Olympic Store :D

The Olympic Store is actually pretty good at YVR, has some things that are sold out online. I guess people don't go looking for it at YVR past security...

Canada Line was pretty busy. Maybe the International terminal was a LOT busier... I guess it would be the proper time.

Denscity
Mar 5, 2010, 9:18 AM
News 1130 is reporting more flights from yvr to china on air china will be added. They mentioned they currently fly daily to beijing so a possible addition to this route? My radio is in another room so couldn't quite hear the whole report.

Just found the report in the bc gov website. Air China will increase their Beijing service to 10x weekly up from 7 starting in June. :tup:

twoNeurons
Mar 5, 2010, 3:11 PM
my friend wants to go back to Pakistan next year - his friend just went back this year and flew via dubai but he had to go to toronto first - my friend is going to try the same route since his friend raved about going via dubai - but isn't looking forward to a layover in toronto

The question really is... is there a chance Vancouver could get direct flights to the Indian sub-continent? Dubai is trying to force everyone through their hub. They're trying to become London Heathrow of the Middle East. The one major difference is that London itself is a major destination.

Dubai is a big holiday destination in Europe... but less so here.

I'm mixed on this. On the one hand, Dubai seems to offer excellent connections with lots of places. On the other hand, I'd much rather fly direct and if letting Emirates in would preclude that I'm not a fan. I'm also not a fan of the A380 as it promulgates the Hub-spoke system... I much prefer the tiered system where you fly direct on smaller planes.