PDA

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143

Yume-sama
Mar 27, 2011, 10:47 PM
It was probably already posted here awhile back, but JAL has started service with a 767-300 as of today, downgrading from the 777-200... which used to be the 747-400 :(

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5223/5565180238_14e1b6952b_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/41645839@N00/5565180238/)
JAPAN AIRLINES JA651J AT YVR (http://www.flickr.com/photos/41645839@N00/5565180238/) by Euronorb (Dave) (http://www.flickr.com/people/41645839@N00/), on Flickr

On the bright side, the 767's will be the first ones to be painted in the new livery, with the retro crane logo coming back lol

whatnext
Mar 28, 2011, 1:06 AM
:previous: Well, sadly, is anybody really wanting to go to Japan right now? Leave maybe.

Bigtime
Mar 28, 2011, 2:41 AM
Is the downgrading due to demand to YVR or due to JAL's financial woes?

Johnny Aussie
Mar 28, 2011, 2:54 AM
^
The downgrade is not just to do with JAL's woes but also Japan's woes in general. In fact, there has been and will continue to be a downward trend in travel to/from Japan. The earthquake, tsunami and the ongoing nuclear threat has just exacerbated an already grim travel outlook. Here in Australia, we have lost so much capacity to, and probably more importantly, from, Japan. JAL has pulled off Brisbane, SYD has been downgraded and even Aussie carriers have reduced capacity. There is no longer a direct link between MEL and Tokyo. Also, Delta is already reducing their capacity to their newly launched HND routes...etc...etc....etc... There have also been so many other adjustments and postponements to Japan worldwide it has been hard to keep up.

So in a nutshell, YVR is quite lucky to still have JAL gracing its skies. Even if just a daily 767-300.
Important to note: the fall schedules actually have JAL 777 returning the 777 in late October for daily YVR-NRT. However, there is definitely a wait and see with anything to do with Japan for the foreseeable future.

Yume-sama
Mar 28, 2011, 3:23 AM
Well, that's true. If one watched American media you'd think Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, etc. were all completely wiped off the map.

Probably almost none of the people who canceled were planning to go to Fukushima or Sendai...

All the sudden the media treats an earthquake in Japan like it's some sort of weird phenomenon lol - this is a country that gets several per day, we don't need to hear about each one.

Johnny Aussie
Mar 28, 2011, 4:01 AM
^
True. However, when they reach a disaster proportion anywhere within a country, it affects the country as a whole. Take NZ, for example, as well. The cost to rebuild Christchurch will affect NZ as a whole for years. Japan's economy, as I am sure you are aware, was nowhere close to being rosy prior to this disaster. Perception is also a huge factor. Most of the significant damage was far from the major population centres in the centre and south, but the perception of the disaster was far-further reaching. Throw into that mix the possible long-term radiation problem, as small or as large as that may be and people will continue to stay away. With all the disasters we have had here in Australia, the perception is Queensland has shut down for business. So untrue, but that's the perception that needs to be fought, perhaps the media is partially to blame for that.

In the forseeable future, I don't see the 3 main components (business, tourism, VFR - visiting friends/relatives) of travel to/from Japan recovering, if not continue to decline.

Edit: just got an email from a friend of mine who is an Air Canada 330 pilot. He just did his 2nd NRT rotation since the earthquake and he was just woken up by that last significant earthquake/aftershock at his hotel in Tokyo. I agree that we would not have even heard of that last earthquake if the disastrous one had not occurred.

Valley_Refugee
Mar 29, 2011, 3:55 AM
Hey guys...former poster (under a different name) from years ago, been lurking for awhile...decided to get back in the game!

As per the Airline Routes blog:

China Southern has zeroed out the new Guangzhou-Vancouver route in the GDS

Looks like the service has been cancelled, or at least delayed.

vanlaw
Mar 30, 2011, 3:48 PM
For Air Canada, 787 a game changer

Ottawa is being urged to watch Air Canada’s (ACA.B-T) back until the carrier’s Dreamliner fleet arrives.

The first of Air Canada’s new Boeing 787s won’t be delivered until late 2013 – leaving a two-year window during which the airline will be vulnerable to Emirates’ quest to obtain extra Canadian landing rights, said Fred Lazar, a professor at York University’s Schulich School of Business.

But if Ottawa stays the course in denying Emirates the extra landing rights, Air Canada’s expansion plans will be poised for takeoff once the new planes arrive.

“When Air Canada finally takes delivery of the Boeing 787s,” the carrier “should be able to greatly expand its networks,” Mr. Lazar wrote in a 98-page report, noting that Toronto’s Pearson International Airport and Vancouver International Airport will be the key Canadian hubs.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/for-air-canada-787-a-game-changer/article1962224/

Putting the UAE's childish response, visa imposition etc. aside; I still don’t like the protectionism going on here. But fine, fair enough, if the argument is to just protect AC until they get their 787's, then give them a one year head start with that, then let Emirates have access to YYC and YVR with increased capacity to YYZ and see who comes out on top. However, I’m sure by 2013/14 there will be some other excuse

trofirhen
Mar 30, 2011, 6:34 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/for-air-canada-787-a-game-changer/article1962224/

Putting the UAE's childish response, visa imposition etc. aside; I still don’t like the protectionism going on here. But fine, fair enough, if the argument is to just protect AC until they get their 787's, then give them a one year head start with that, then let Emirates have access to YYC and YVR with increased capacity to YYZ and see who comes out on top. However, I’m sure by 2013/14 there will be some other excuse
:previous:
Agreed. Precise and reasonable. :yes:

SpongeG
Mar 30, 2011, 7:44 PM
YVR named best airport in North America -- again

By: ctvbc.ca
Date: Wednesday Mar. 30, 2011 11:57 AM PT

http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20110203/470_bc_customs_110203.jpg

For the second year running, Vancouver International Airport has been named the best airport in North America in an international survey.

The annual World Airport Survey, performed by Skytrax, collected answers from more than 11 million questionnaires distributed to passengers around the world. Respondents rated each airport in 39 categories, including accessibility, cleanliness, friendliness of staff and shopping choices.

YVR was trailed by Cincinnati and Denver's airports in the continental awards, announced Wednesday.

Passengers also named the Fairmont Vancouver Airport as the best airport hotel on the continent, and YVR ranked second in staff service excellence.

Hong Kong International Airport won the 2011 award for airport of the year. Singapore's Changi Airport and South Korea's Incheon International Airport placed second and third. For full results, click here (http://www.worldairportawards.com/).

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110330/bc_yvr_best_airport_110330/20110330?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

giallo
Mar 31, 2011, 1:24 AM
So Vancouver and HK win the top spots. This jives perfectly with my rankings as well. Both airports are my most frequently visited (besides Shanghai's Pudong airport which is such a let down I don't even want to get in to it) and both are, IMO, the best out there. I absolutely love coming back to BC and having YVR greet me. It starts my trip home on such a positive note.

teriyaki
Mar 31, 2011, 2:13 AM
So Vancouver and HK win the top spots. This jives perfectly with my rankings as well. Both airports are my most frequently visited (besides Shanghai's Pudong airport which is such a let down I don't even want to get in to it) and both are, IMO, the best out there. I absolutely love coming back to BC and having YVR greet me. It starts my trip home on such a positive note.

Agreed. My exact same situation as well. Coming home to that familiar waterfall and smell in that customs hall is one that I won't be taking granted anytime soon. Didn't think our airport was anything special until I ventured out to some nastier ones out there (PVG is one of these).

SpongeG
Apr 2, 2011, 2:03 AM
WestJet starts American ticketing

CALGARY HERALD MARCH 30, 2011 BE THE FIRST TO POST A COMMENT

WestJet has started implementing a ticketing partnership it launched with American Airlines earlier this month.

The agreement allows passengers to connect seamlessly as they travel on the two airlines, the carriers said in a joint news release.

Initially, American will code WestJet flights between Montreal and Winnipeg, and the Toronto to Edmonton leg.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/WestJet+starts+American+ticketing/4526468/story.html#ixzz1IKM16Bha

Jebby
Apr 2, 2011, 3:15 AM
Does the JAL flight still do the Tokyo-Vancouver-Mexico City triangle? I remember always flying JAL as a kid going to Mexico.

Valley_Refugee
Apr 2, 2011, 9:42 PM
No, JAL hasn't been operating the YVR-MEX routing for (at least) a year now.

trofirhen
Apr 3, 2011, 2:05 PM
No, JAL hasn't been operating the YVR-MEX routing for (at least) a year now.

Oh well, at one time it was the ONLY airline flying to Mexico City nonstop from YVR, the Mexicana took it, but went bust, and now, finally, our flagship airline -still with those flags on the tail, Air Canada, has stepped in and given VANCOUVER a Mexico City nonstop. (They would have re-routed it through Toronto if they could have, I bet, but at this trajectory it was just too impossible. heh heh heh)

Rusty Gull
Apr 3, 2011, 3:16 PM
I wonder if Air Canada will resume their YVR-KIX service, since some Canadian corporate and government offices have relocated to Osaka in the wake of the nuclear scare? I suspect that Kansai could use the extra business - and in spite of its financial woes is still a world-class airport.

Johnny Aussie
Apr 9, 2011, 6:34 AM
It had appeared China Southern was going to delay or cancel the CAN - YVR route. The flights slowly disappeared from GDS booking engines and scheduling tools and OAG, Amadeus schedules, etc.

Well as of today, it is now appearing on OAG and Amadeus again. More importantly, it is now bookable again on China Southern's website csair.com and also on other booking engines such as Zuji and Amadeus.

Therefore, it looks like the route is opening. I believe some of the uncertainty may have arose due to government approvals... that now appears to be a hurdle that has been overcome.

Gordon
Apr 9, 2011, 11:46 PM
I just tried China Southern's site right at the bottom of the Information page that pops up after you click the search button, it says i red letters that the Guangzhou Vancouver Route is subject to Government Approvals.

I wonder if our friends in Ottawa are holding things up?

trofirhen
Apr 10, 2011, 1:13 AM
I just tried China Southern's site right at the bottom of the Information page that pops up after you click the search button, it says i red letters that the Guangzhou Vancouver Route is subject to Government Approvals.

I wonder if our friends in Ottawa are holding things up?

They've held other routes up; why not this one? :hell:

Yume-sama
Apr 10, 2011, 1:15 AM
I wonder if Air Canada will resume their YVR-KIX service, since some Canadian corporate and government offices have relocated to Osaka in the wake of the nuclear scare? I suspect that Kansai could use the extra business - and in spite of its financial woes is still a world-class airport.

KIX is mostly in "white elephant" status because it is a world-class airport. If they cut landing fees quite significantly they'd get more flights~

Of course, a cup of coffee there will cost you almost as much as your flight lol

Gordon
Apr 15, 2011, 8:47 PM
Why doesn't the YVR CAN flight show up on Canadian travel sites like Expedia.ca & Travelocity.ca?

teriyaki
Apr 15, 2011, 9:14 PM
Why doesn't the YVR CAN flight show up on Canadian travel sites like Expedia.ca & Travelocity.ca?

Shows up on american sites like orbitz though. Wonder when we'll get the "official" go.

deasine
Apr 18, 2011, 9:04 AM
YVR Announces Canada's First Aircraft Engine-Testing Enclosure
April 12, 2011

http://www.yvr.ca/libraries/homepage_content_switcher/ground_run-up_enclosure.sflb.ashx

State-of-the-art facility to reduce aircraft noise in the community

Richmond, B.C. (April 12, 2011): Vancouver Airport Authority today announced details of Canada’s first Ground Run-up Enclosure (GRE), a state-of-the-art facility designed to minimize noise from engine run-ups that are conducted as part of regular aircraft maintenance work.

The $12-million facility, to be located adjacent to YVR’s South Terminal, will reduce the engine run-up noise heard in nearby neighbourhoods by up to 50 per cent, while providing time and fuel efficiencies to air carriers operating out of Airport South and overall environmental benefits to the entire region.

“We are incredibly pleased to embark on such a leading-edge project that not only demonstrates a commitment to our neighbours, but also to our operators and our natural environment,” said Anne Murray, Vice President, Community and Environmental Affairs, Vancouver Airport Authority. “Vancouver Airport Authority is committed to managing airport noise, balancing the community’s desire for safe, convenient, 24-hour air travel with urban living,”

The GRE is a three-sided, open-roofed enclosure, as tall as a five-storey building and built with noise-absorbing panels and perforated by several louvered vents for aerodynamic purposes. The GRE is designed to reduce engine run-up noise by absorbing and channelling sound up rather than out.

In addition to noise abatement, the GRE will provide a glycol recovery and containment area during winter de-icing operations. The GRE will also provide fuel and time efficiencies and reduce greenhouse gas emissions for Airport South operators who no longer need to taxi to the designated run-up area at the west end of Sea Island.

“We have been studying the social, economic and environmental benefits of a GRE for the past three years as part of our comprehensive Noise Management Plan,” Murray said. “YVR’s engine-testing enclosure will be one of the largest construction projects undertaken on the airport’s South side in recent years and will offer our community significant benefits for years to come.”

YVR’s Noise Management Program focuses on initiatives that address aircraft noise in the community, including published noise abatement procedures, community noise information seminars, an airport noise monitoring and flight tracking system and a complaint management and response system.

Engine run-ups are mandatory by Transport Canada as part of stringent maintenance and safety standards that require operators to test engines and their components before an aircraft is put back into service. More than seven per cent of noise complaints received by YVR are related to engine run-ups.
Construction of the Ground Run-up Enclosure and adjoining apron will begin in April 2011 and is slated for completion in December 2011.

About Vancouver Airport Authority
Vancouver Airport Authority is a community-based, not-for-profit organization that operates Vancouver International Airport (YVR). Canada's second busiest airport, YVR served 16.8 million passengers in 2010 and handled more than 293,000 aircraft landings and take-offs on its runways. Sixty-seven airlines serve YVR, connecting people and businesses to 119 destinations in Canada, the U.S. and around the world. The Airport Authority is committed to creating an airport that British Columbia can be proud of: a premier global gateway, local economic generator and community contributor.

-YVR-

For further information:
YVR Media Relations
604.880.9815 ; media_relations@yvr.ca
www.yvr.ca Twitter: @yvrairport
(YVR (http://www.yvr.ca/en/about/media-room/news-releases/2011/11-04-12/yvr_announces_canada_s_first_aircraft_engine-testing_enclosure.aspx), 2011)

Additional Images + Videos: http://yvr.brollarchive.com/

twoNeurons
Apr 18, 2011, 12:12 PM
We need sound barrier walls like that on the #1 highway, too.

Yume-sama
Apr 19, 2011, 6:53 PM
One of the very first new (old? retro :P?) JAL livery 767's visited us :D

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5225/5629358431_c9c7930e7d_b.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41645839@N00/5629358431/

Eventually the whole fleet will have the crane logo.

I'm not a fan of the Japan Airlines font... seems like they could have done better. But I like the logo!

Bigtime
Apr 19, 2011, 7:10 PM
Great to see the crane on the tail again, looks very nice! Definitely minimalist with the font on the fuselage.

deasine
Apr 22, 2011, 3:08 AM
Eventually the whole fleet will have the crane logo.

I'm not a fan of the Japan Airlines font... seems like they could have done better. But I like the logo!

I don't like the font either - it just looks like it's screaming for too much attention.

Still think it would've been nicer if they had a red tail, white crane.

Yume-sama
Apr 23, 2011, 2:06 AM
The pricing structure is not so much a YVR problem as it is a Government of Canada problem.

Same with the price of nearly everything being cheaper in the USA :P

Canadian Mind
Apr 23, 2011, 3:02 AM
That font is intense. I actually like it. :)

teriyaki
Apr 23, 2011, 4:07 AM
The pricing structure is not so much a YVR problem as it is a Government of Canada problem.

Same with the price of nearly everything being cheaper in the USA :P

The taxes here are better than toronto's, or so I hear. Overall though, the federal government needs to get its head out of the sand and do something about the fee's. Its really discouraging to find a $79 airfare, only to realize taxes and other surcharges (i know airline is to blame for some) account for more than double the cost of the ticket itself.

twoNeurons
Apr 25, 2011, 1:07 AM
KIX is mostly in "white elephant" status because it is a world-class airport. If they cut landing fees quite significantly they'd get more flights~

Of course, a cup of coffee there will cost you almost as much as your flight lol

That's what the vending machines are for!!!

Actually, didn't KIX reduce landing fees significantly? Problem with KIX is that it is south of most of the population and ITAMI and the newer Kobe airport are both much more convenient for most of the population.

I believe Incheon in Seoul took away much of the traffic that KIX was built to attract.

SpongeG
Apr 25, 2011, 3:40 AM
London's landing fees are really high - they will show the price as like $499 plus $600+ in fees & taxes where as say frankfurt will be like $499 plus $380 in fees & taxes or whatever it might be...

SpongeG
Apr 26, 2011, 5:52 AM
Nonstop flight between Xiamen and Vancouver expected to open

Updated: 26 Apr 2011

A nonstop flight from Xiamen to Vancouver is expected to open soon after delegates led by the Zhan Cangzhou- Standing Committee Member of CPC, and Deputy Major of Xiamen paid a visit to Canada, America and Hong Kong, according to a Xiamen News report.

During their visit in Canada, Xiamen delegates held meetings with the city of Richmond, where both sides exchanged ideas on promotion of economies, trade, education and culture. They showed that they would endeavor to open a nonstop flight from Xiamen to Vancouver. Then they signed letters of intent to build sister cities and made sure they would officially sign the agreement for sister cities in the second half of this year or the first half of next year. Meanwhile, Xiamen delegates held the Xiamen 12th Five-year Development Plan & Promotion Meeting of the 15th CIFIT in Richmond.

http://www.whatsonxiamen.com/news18738.html

Gordon
Apr 27, 2011, 2:37 PM
Any Idea when the Xiamen flight will start?

This new Non-Stop along with Gaungzhou is good news for YVR. It helps our Aisan Gateway status.

PaperTiger
Apr 27, 2011, 4:12 PM
The Xiamen flight will start the day after the KingFisher flight starts to Mumbai.

Start holding your breath.... NOW!

Gordon
Apr 28, 2011, 8:02 PM
YVR announced today that the Guangzhou flight officially starts June 15th

whatnext
Apr 28, 2011, 11:37 PM
Air Canada is rebranding all of its regional flying as Air Canada Express, so it will be bye bye to the Jazz livery.

http://business.financialpost.com/2011/04/26/air-canada-launches-new-regional-brand/

SpongeG
Apr 29, 2011, 12:11 AM
is AirBC still around? its been so long since i flew within BC

Yume-sama
Apr 29, 2011, 12:16 AM
Air Canada is rebranding all of its regional flying as Air Canada Express, so it will be bye bye to the Jazz livery.

http://business.financialpost.com/2011/04/26/air-canada-launches-new-regional-brand/

It's a better name. WTF was a Jazz supposed to be?

They must have been inspired by United Express.

Or US Airways Express.

trofirhen
Apr 29, 2011, 12:29 AM

Looking at the airline list at YVR Wikipedia, it is not among them.

Bigtime
Apr 29, 2011, 12:31 AM
Didn't AirBC become part of Jazz many years ago?

Denscity
Apr 29, 2011, 1:38 AM

That means we'll be seeing the newly branded planes here in Castlegar (YCG).

deasine
Apr 29, 2011, 8:34 PM
There's a few negative discussion over at FlyerTalk with regards to the new brand but I love it. Not sure if "Express" was the best name as it seems to be overused amongst many of the North American airlines, as indicated above, but I definitely thought there was too much differentiation between Air Canada Jazz and Air Canada.

The new branding for the regional routes will allow for less confusion when Air Canada brings out their LCC to compete against Air Transat and WestJet.

SpongeG
May 13, 2011, 5:00 AM
New Vancouver airport runway rules could cost millions

YVR airport faces years of construction under proposed federal policy

By Matthew Robinson and Ian MacLeod, Vancouver Sun May 12, 2011 9:06 PM

Transport Canada is drafting regulations that could cost Vancouver International Airport tens of millions of dollars and commit the airport authority to years of construction.

Postmedia News has learned that the policy, if approved, would require major Canadian airports to meet minimum international standards for emergency stopping distances. YVR does not now meet those standards and would be forced to expand existing runway strips.

“Even a simple runway extension takes a great deal of planning and years of construction activity,” Brett Patterson, YVR’s director of airside operations, told The Vancouver Sun last summer following federal discussion of a rule change.

Major runways at Canada’s airports require a graded, unobstructed buffer zone or “runway strip” extending 60 metres past the runway’s end for last-ditch emergency stopping.

In response to a 2005 Air France crash at Toronto’s Pearson International Airport, where an airliner barrelled off a rain-slick runway and caught fire, a senior Transport Canada official says the department wants to increase that requirement to at least 150 metres of emergency stopping space.

The proposed move follows a warning last year from the Transportation Safety Board that runway “excursions” and other landing safety issues pose one of the country’s greatest transportation risks and need urgent government and industry action.

The rate of overruns per million landings by large transport aircraft in Canada is almost twice the world average, and three times that of the United States. The figure jumps to four times the global average when the runway is wet.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/Vancouver+airport+runway+rules+could+cost+millions/4775635/story.html#ixzz1MCo9Rxh6

s211
May 13, 2011, 3:08 PM
The rate of overruns per million landings by large transport aircraft in Canada is almost twice the world average, and three times that of the United States. The figure jumps to four times the global average when the runway is wet.

In Vancouver, that would only be on days that end in the letter "y", so I don't see what all the fuss is about.

jlousa
May 13, 2011, 4:05 PM
The extension was already planned. The Sun has a picture of what the changes would require, all easily obtained.

Yume-sama
May 13, 2011, 5:00 PM
New Vancouver airport runway rules could cost millions

Really? What kind of headline is that :P? Did they think it could be done for a slim jim and a few sticks of gum?

Millennium2002
May 13, 2011, 11:10 PM
A quick glance in Google Maps reveals several possible "shortcomings" in Canadian airports compared to their US counterparts, including lack of paved shoulders, sharp corners in shoulder markings rather than smooth curves, and of course the aforementioned lack of runway overrun zone. This applies to Canada in general... more like a standards failure. =O

SpongeG
May 14, 2011, 8:39 PM
YVR's total economic impact pegged at $11.7 billion: report

By Brian Morton, Vancouver Sun May 13, 2011

Vancouver International Airport (YVR) provided more than 23,600 jobs and $1 billion in wages, for a direct impact of $1.9 billion on Canada's GDP in 2010, according to a report by the Vancouver Airport Authority.

The report also stated that in total, the airport generates nearly $12 billion annually.

“In addition to the employment impacts of operations at YVR, there are also broader measures of economic contribution,” the report said. “The two most common are economic output and GDP.

“The direct employment attributable to operations at YVR generates $1.9 billion in direct GDP.

“Taking into consideration all multiplier effects (direct, indirect and induced effects), operations at YVR are estimated to generate up to $5.3 billion in GDP and up to $11.7 billion in economic output economy-wide.

Airport authority chair Mary Jordan said the results bode well for YVR's future.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/total+economic+impact+pegged+billion+report/4780786/story.html#ixzz1MMT2RbGe

Hot Rod
May 27, 2011, 10:21 AM
http://www.yvr.ca/en/Airmail-articles/2011-05-Airmail/China-Southern.aspx

from YVR-Airmail May Edition.

Vancouver International Airport will offer Canada’s first and only nonstop flight to China’s most populous province, Guangdong, next month after welcoming China Southern Airlines as the 68th carrier serving YVR.

The new thrice-weekly service to the city of Guangzhou begins June 15 and will offer not only increased options for passengers, but greater opportunities for business and for tourism – particularly given Canada’s recent Approved Destination Status from China. The service also supports British Columbia’s Pacific Gateway strategy, which targets a 75 per cent increase in the number of passengers travelling through YVR and a doubling of air cargo by 2010.

China Southern will use 777-200ER with 282 passengers per flight.

China Southern Bulletin (Feb 2011)

http://www.csair.com/en/ad/20110216/index.html

trofirhen
Jun 3, 2011, 7:06 PM
YVR's total economic impact pegged at $11.7 billion: report

By Brian Morton, Vancouver Sun May 13, 2011

Vancouver International Airport (YVR) provided more than 23,600 jobs and $1 billion in wages, for a direct impact of $1.9 billion on Canada's GDP in 2010, according to a report by the Vancouver Airport Authority.

The report also stated that in total, the airport generates nearly $12 billion annually.

“In addition to the employment impacts of operations at YVR, there are also broader measures of economic contribution,” the report said. “The two most common are economic output and GDP.

“The direct employment attributable to operations at YVR generates $1.9 billion in direct GDP.

“Taking into consideration all multiplier effects (direct, indirect and induced effects), operations at YVR are estimated to generate up to $5.3 billion in GDP and up to $11.7 billion in economic output economy-wide.

Airport authority chair Mary Jordan said the results bode well for YVR's future.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/total+economic+impact+pegged+billion+report/4780786/story.html#ixzz1MMT2RbGe
:previous::previous::previous:
Interesting. Also about how Larry Berg wants to increase BC "connectivity around the globe." Keep that thought in mind, and we'll be one important airport. It's important IMHO to keep ahead of Seattle in that regard. :rolleyes:

SpongeG
Jun 3, 2011, 7:09 PM
my friends are going to san fran in a couple weeks they are flying out of seattle and saving over $400

trofirhen
Jun 3, 2011, 7:14 PM
my friends are going to san fran in a couple weeks they are flying out of seattle and saving over $400

That, of course, is a US DOMESTIC flight, and therein may lie the difference. I just don't want to see YVR overshadowed by Sea-Tac on the international flight sector.

Gordon
Jun 3, 2011, 8:37 PM
both AC & Ws charge 400 according to Expedia
Seattle flights range between 264 & $400

whatnext
Jun 12, 2011, 1:15 AM
If anyone's flying Air Canada next week, be aware the customer service agents (ticketing, checked bagage, gates etc) have served 72 hour strike notice. Air Canada says they will run things as normal, but if you can, I'd suggest sticking to carry-on luggage!
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/contingency-plans-in-place-if-strike-goes-ahead-air-canada/article2057204/

sacrifice333
Jun 12, 2011, 1:32 AM
If anyone's flying Air Canada next week, be aware the customer service agents (ticketing, checked bagage, gates etc) have served 72 hour strike notice. Air Canada says they will run things as normal, but if you can, I'd suggest sticking to carry-on luggage!
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/contingency-plans-in-place-if-strike-goes-ahead-air-canada/article2057204/

Suggestions on how to travel with only carry-on from my wife... Packing 103 (http://www.tripstyler.com/2011/packing-103/)

Best of luck everyone.

p.s. I have to travel for business a few times per year and need to bring one or two suits with me. I take them INSIDE my carry-on by way of first placing them in a suit bag, then folding them thrice in order to insert them into the carry-on. It's the last thing into my bag and the first thing out so wrinkles aren't normally a problem. If they are... a humid bathroom can normally do the trick.

Yume-sama
Jun 12, 2011, 1:59 AM
I'm flying AC twice next week :( They best not go on strike :P Wonder how many hours early I should show up if they do~

Sheesh, as if going to America wasn't inconvenient enough already.

sacrifice333
Jun 12, 2011, 5:10 PM
If you're flying carry-on and check-in online, why would you have to go any earlier?

CATSAs not striking, nor is US Customs and Border Protection!

Hot Rod
Jun 15, 2011, 5:42 AM
any chance that Air Canada will match the YVR-CAN route that China Southern started on June 15?

any chance that Air Canada will take advantage and add the YVR-KIX route BACK!!!!???

Hourglass
Jun 15, 2011, 7:24 AM
any chance that Air Canada will match the YVR-CAN route that China Southern started on June 15?

Possibly when they start taking delivery of their new 787s

any chance that Air Canada will take advantage and add the YVR-KIX route BACK!!!!???

Highly unlikely. The combination of high landing fees in KIX and stagnant economic growth in Japan (plus the impact of the earthquake/tsunami in Fukushima) means AC won't be adding capacity to Japan anytime soon.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 15, 2011, 9:33 AM
Speaking of China Southern....

The first flight from Guangzhou is now en-route to YVR.

Due to arrive 20 minutes early at 10:00am according to YVR website.

giallo
Jun 15, 2011, 9:44 AM
^ I might fly to Guangzhou before I head to Vancouver in July, so this new flight is perfectly convenient.

Hourglass
Jun 15, 2011, 11:44 PM
Vancouver Sun article on the new service. Note the mention of a new 4x weekly service from YVR to Shanghai. No idea when this is supposed to start and it wasn't mentioned in any of the press releases around the service launch.

China Southern Airlines begins direct flights between Vancouver and Guangzhou
New service expected to save at least two hours travel time each way

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/China+Southern+Airlines+begins+direct+flights+between+Vancouver+Guangzhou/4952606/story.html#ixzz1POKcDso7

China Southern Airlines has started direct passenger service between Vancouver and Guangzhou, a move that’s expected to boost business and tourism between the two cities.

The inaugural flight to Vancouver International Airport (YVR) Wednesday morning went smoothly and both the incoming flight and outgoing flight to Guangzhou were full, said YVR’S senior policy adviser for Asia, Dora Kay. “It was really great.”

The three-times-weekly service will be Canada’s first and only direct flight to Guangdong, China’s most populous province and a key hub for foreign trade. The direct flight is expected to save at least two hours travel time each way.

Until now, passengers heading to Guangzhou have had to travel via Beijing, Shanghai or Hong Kong.

China Southern is also launching a four-times-a-week service from YVR to Shanghai, a move that’s expected to boost B.C.’s seafood and fruit export market.

A delegation was on hand for Wednesday’s inaugural flight, including China Southern Airlines president and CEO Tan Wangeng, YVR president and CEO Larry Berg, Premier Christy Clark, and Canada’s Minister of State Maxime Bernier.

It is anticipated the new service will bring up to 40,000 Chinese travellers to Vancouver annually and that they will spend up to $72 million in Canada.

bmorton@vancouversun.com
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

twoNeurons
Jun 16, 2011, 5:33 AM
Possibly when they start taking delivery of their new 787s

Highly unlikely. The combination of high landing fees in KIX and stagnant economic growth in Japan (plus the impact of the earthquake/tsunami in Fukushima) means AC won't be adding capacity to Japan anytime soon.

Actually, I believe KIX landing fees are quite a bit lower than competing airports and have been for a few years now.

deasine
Jun 16, 2011, 6:35 AM
I'm not sure AC would venture into CAN as a destination within the short term. The demand is only just starting to grow right now.

Keep in mind, almost all international destinations AC flies to are airports that allow for seemless connections for its passengers. CAN is only CZ's base, it is not Star Alliance territory, and so there won't be a lot of passengers from AC transferring onto other airlines.

Hourglass
Jun 16, 2011, 8:29 AM
Actually, I believe KIX landing fees are quite a bit lower than competing airports and have been for a few years now.

A quick check online and you're right -- KIX indeed has been offering deep discounts on landing fees . Don't know if that's enough to bring AC back, though. One can hope...!

metroXpress
Jun 16, 2011, 10:34 PM

Merged with a few other regional ones in different provinces to become Jazz, which is Air Canada Express now.

SpongeG
Jun 17, 2011, 12:52 AM
ah i always wondered

seems like air canada is back to work, well ordered back to work

deasine
Jun 17, 2011, 1:37 AM
seems like air canada is back to work, well ordered back to work

Ordered back to work? Not necessarily so. While the Federal Government voted for implementing "back-to-work legislation," this was a tentative deal made by the union and the management executives. It's debatable whether or not the Federal Government's actions may have led the union signing on the deal though.

Air Canada and union reach tentative deal

TORONTO - A tentative collective agreement ending a strike by Air Canada front counter staff includes wage increases, but it will be up to an arbitrator to settle a contentious dispute over pension plans for new hires.

Canadian Auto Workers union president Ken Lewenza said the tentative deal includes higher wages and addresses quality of life and other issues raised by workers.

But he said the agreement does not settle the issue of defined benefit pensions - the major stumbling block in the negotiations.

Lewenza said the union agreed to send the pension issue to an arbitrator in order to minimize the strain on the 3,800 workers who were on strike.

"For us to prolong the strike as a result of future hirees would absolutely make no sense at this time but it will give us an opportunity in future years to bargain on behalf of those new hires," Lewenza told a news conference shortly after the union announced that a deal had been reached.

The tentative agreement means customer service agents and other staff who walked off the job Tuesday will return to work Friday.

The main sticking point in the dispute was over pension plans, with Air Canada wanting to put new hires on a defined contribution plan versus a defined benefit pension.

Defined benefit plans provide retirees with a predictable income, but they expose employers to additional costs if their pension funds doesn't have enough money to pay promised benefits.

With defined contribution plans, the company's contribution is limited to a set, negotiated amount and payouts to retirees depend on the performance of the underlying investments. It normally costs the company less money.

"Do I feel good about passing on a risk to new generations of workers that deserve our representation today? The answer is, I'm not happy about that," Lewenza said. "But at the end of the day bargaining is tough and you have to make tough decisions."

Lewenza said there would be "very slight modifications" to the current pension plan, which would become effective in 2013. Further details of the deal will not be released until a ratification vote is held in the coming days.

"We are very pleased to have reached a tentative agreement with the CAW," Duncan Dee, executive vice-president and chief operating officer of Air Canada, said in a statement. "The agreement will help ensure the long-term sustainability of Air Canada while maintaining industry-leading compensation and benefits for our employees."

Travellers had seen minor delays but no major disruptions since the strike began.

The tentative four-year settlement came less than an hour after the federal government tabled back-to-work legislation that would have forced the striking employees back on the job next week.

The airline is still facing other labour disputes. Pilots rejected a tentative agreement earlier this year that contained new rules permitting Air Canada to establish of a low-cost carrier.

Meanwhile, the Canadian Union of Public Employees - which represents 6,800 Air Canada flight attendants - has asked for a conciliator to assist in its contract talks.

Mechanics will be back at the bargaining table with Air Canada in July, said Dave Ritchie with the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.

But his union won't bargain any differently with the airline because Ottawa threatened the CAW with the back-to-work bill and potentially could do the same with them.

"We can't let intimidation come into the bargaining session," said Ritchie.

National Bank Financial analyst Cameron Doerksen said Thursday's deal sets a benchmark for Air Canada's other unions to come to an agreement sooner.

"With one agreement now in place ... we believe the tone has been set for better progress towards reaching new contracts with all of the unions," he wrote in a research note.

Labour Minister Lisa Raitt said the government intervention gave both sides the final push needed to reach a deal.

"We're very pleased with how it unfolded and I know that putting the legislation on the order paper ... was a tool that was needed in order to focus the parties and narrow the issues," she told reporters.

But Lewenza railed against the government's move to announce back-to-work legislation within 24 hours of the strike, even though Air Canada said there had been no significant decline in business.

The federal opposition argued there was no emergency requiring swift action and the government should have never tabled legislation.

NDP leader Jack Layton said government legislation was biased towards the employer, and Liberal leader Bob Rae accused Ottawa of interfering with the union's ability to defend pensions.

Earlier, Raitt said the country's economy would have been damaged by a prolonged strike. She said major disruptions would likely occur next week if workers did not return.

She denied the government was setting a precedent by intervening in the strike so quickly after it began and so soon after winning a majority election.

"When there's going to be a prolonged work stoppage that is going to effect the Canadian economy, and that's going to impact on Canadians, the government is going to give their intention on how we're going to react," she said.

Raitt said the decision would have been the same even in a minority government.

With files from Julian Beltrame and Pat Hewitt

© Copyright (c) Shaw Media Inc.

(Global TV BC (http://www.globalnational.com/story.html?id=4956449) 2011)

twoNeurons
Jun 17, 2011, 6:38 PM
A quick check online and you're right -- KIX indeed has been offering deep discounts on landing fees . Don't know if that's enough to bring AC back, though. One can hope...!

Hard to say. Many people feel it was too little, too late. I think the feeling was that they wanted to turn KIX into what ICN in Korea is... a major Asian hub.

However:

Osaka's old airport is far more centrally located (it WAS supposed to be demolished in favor of the new one)

Kobe airport was built soon afterwards.
Nagoya's new airport was built.
Shizuoka's new airport was built.
Haneda airport was expanded (clearly putting the focus on Haneda to become Japan's answer to PVG and ICN)

The economy is still down, and I think Japan wanted to built their way out of the recession.

KIX was, until recently, run separately from the other regional airports (And thus, being saddled with debt, found it hard to compete). Initially it was supposed to be closer to Kobe which would have made it more centrally located.

I think they could really take a page from Vancouver, in privatizing the company that's running it. They've taken steps in consolidating management of KIX, Itami and Kobe's airports, but who knows if they'll be able to make KIX live up to it's reputation.

One thing is clear though about that airport, it is stunningly beautiful, both inside and out. It makes YVR (and most airports) feel claustrophobic, if you can believe that. Whenever I fly to Osaka I try to get the connecting flight that goes to KIX. Most go to Itami.

SpongeG
Jun 18, 2011, 2:51 AM
a CBC news chat program mentioned that the strike was or could have affected air canada and its star alliance situation and maybe thats why they went back to work so soon too

Johnny Aussie
Jun 18, 2011, 5:31 AM
Further to China Southern's new service to YVR. Interesting.....

It looks like the CTA granted their license one day before the first scheduled flight! Also shows why they had originally loaded their flights into GDS and then subsequently removed them. This led to speculation the route was being cancelled. This all makes sense now. Hopefully this is all behind them now and the new service will flourish and eventually become daily! This airline is really expanding its Australian services as well.

http://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/decision-ruling/drv.php?id=30871&lang=eng

teriyaki
Jun 18, 2011, 5:51 AM
Further to China Southern's new service to YVR. Interesting.....

It looks like the CTA granted their license one day before the first scheduled flight! Also shows why they had originally loaded their flights into GDS and then subsequently removed them. This led to speculation the route was being cancelled. This all makes sense now. Hopefully this is all behind them now and the new service will flourish and eventually become daily! This airline is really expanding its Australian services as well.

http://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/decision-ruling/drv.php?id=30871&lang=eng

Last minute indeed. Wonder what the loads are like, especially for the inaugural flight. I wouldn't even know where to book fares for them, aside from their own site which I imagine wouldn't give the lowest prices.

Hourglass
Jun 18, 2011, 12:20 PM

It was claimed that the inaugural flights were fully booked. Don't know what future bookings look like, but with the feed into their Guangzhou hub, I think China Southern should do quite well. It's probably highly unlikely, but it would be cool to see one of their A380s at YVR...

Re the additional flights, it seems the 4x weekly flights to Shanghai will be cargo flights -- something the Vancouver Sun article alluded to about boosting BC's export market.

trofirhen
Jun 18, 2011, 1:44 PM
... Does anyone know if we'll ever get SQL back? If not, will we ever again see a routing to Singapore, whatever be the airline? It seems to me that, from YVR, Singapore would be a good transit point to other Asian or African destinations, or am I wrong?

Wouldn't a nonstop there be unreal? :rolleyes:

deasine
Jun 18, 2011, 9:04 PM
... Does anyone know if we'll ever get SQL back? If not, will we ever again see a routing to Singapore, whatever be the airline? It seems to me that, from YVR, Singapore would be a good transit point to other Asian or African destinations, or am I wrong?

Wouldn't a nonstop there be unreal? :rolleyes:

SQL - are you talking about San Carlos? I never knew YVR flew there!

With regards to SIN, SQ pulled the YVR-ICN-SIN route supposedly due to the economic recession, but I think another part of the reason was because SQ could only fly 3 times to YVR and wanted more (reminiscent of the current Emirates/Qatar/Etihad situation?). SQ also flew to YYZ previously, but was shut out after complaints from AC. It's sort of funny how AC and SQ are part of the same alliance, but both really have little cooperation between one another.

a CBC news chat program mentioned that the strike was or could have affected air canada and its star alliance situation and maybe thats why they went back to work so soon too

I'm not sure how that makes sense. As much as it affects ACs operation, there is no way *A would ever evict AC, especially being a founding member of the alliance. They might apply some pressure to have management to get the union back to work, but that's all they can do.

One thing is clear though about that airport, it is stunningly beautiful, both inside and out. It makes YVR (and most airports) feel claustrophobic, if you can believe that. Whenever I fly to Osaka I try to get the connecting flight that goes to KIX. Most go to Itami.

That's the thing. YVR really isn't "beautiful" architecturally. It's the elements that YVR put in the airport what makes it beautiful.

With KIX being much cheaper to land, I wonder if AC could capitalize on this, get fifth freedom landing rights in Japan, and then also fly to another destination. DEL is YVR's largest market without a "direct flight." A direct flight to DEL could potentially take a lot of passengers off competing other airlines, including BA, CI, and CX.

Hot Rod
Jun 20, 2011, 9:15 AM
and 777-300ER could do the job too.

Hourglass
Jun 20, 2011, 10:54 AM

Yeah, I like KIX. I find other Asian hubs such as HKG, SIN and ICN more user (or maybe transit?) friendly, but there is no denying Renzo Piano's design is very cool indeed.

Funnily enough, on the subject of airport fees at KIX, Asahi Shimbun had an article a couple of days ago mentioning the fact that ANA is setting up their own budget carrier to be based in Osaka. One of the issues that still came up was the issue of landing fees, which were still higher than Narita, although Osaka has put together a strategy to attract low-cost carriers. The article can be found here (http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201106180165.html)

With KIX being much cheaper to land, I wonder if AC could capitalize on this, get fifth freedom landing rights in Japan, and then also fly to another destination. DEL is YVR's largest market without a "direct flight." A direct flight to DEL could potentially take a lot of passengers off competing other airlines, including BA, CI, and CX.

It'd be great if Air Canada launched fifth-freedom flights from YVR via Japan to DEL, but right now they seem happy to let their Delhi traffic transfer in Frankfurt and take Lufthansa onwards. I would agree that a lot of traffic goes via other airlines as well. As a small aside relating back to trofirhen's post, this was one of the reasons used by Transport Canada in denying SQ additional flights from Singapore via ICN. It's ok for Asiana, Korean, Cathay and others to fly people to Delhi via third-party hubs, but not so kosher when SQ does it... ;)

SpongeG
Jun 20, 2011, 9:29 PM
SQL - are you talking about San Carlos? I never knew YVR flew there!

With regards to SIN, SQ pulled the YVR-ICN-SIN route supposedly due to the economic recession, but I think another part of the reason was because SQ could only fly 3 times to YVR and wanted more (reminiscent of the current Emirates/Qatar/Etihad situation?). SQ also flew to YYZ previously, but was shut out after complaints from AC. It's sort of funny how AC and SQ are part of the same alliance, but both really have little cooperation between one another.

I'm not sure how that makes sense. As much as it affects ACs operation, there is no way *A would ever evict AC, especially being a founding member of the alliance. They might apply some pressure to have management to get the union back to work, but that's all they can do.

the commentators were speculating but they were saying the other star alliance members would have to deal with the extra passenger loads or something like that and they didn't want to burden them with that

twoNeurons
Jun 21, 2011, 5:03 AM

For some reason, I think it would be difficult to get 5th freedom into Osaka. However, if ever there was a good time to try, it would be now.

Hot Rod
Jun 24, 2011, 11:11 AM
I read somewhere that HongKong Airlines is buying a bunch of Airbus A380 SuperJumbos.

Could this be just what Vancouver needs for its first A380 service?

Bigtime
Jun 24, 2011, 2:07 PM
There is a thread on this purchase over at airliners.net. It sounds like Hainan Airways is using Hong Kong airlines to purchase the 10 A380's for them to ultimately use, this allows them to bypass some of the government stuff in China proper:

Hainan can avoid the byzantine (mainland) Chinese order process by ordering through its Hong Kong subsidiary, Hong Kong Airlines. That is what's going on here.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5181223/

Yume-sama
Jun 24, 2011, 6:03 PM
Ahh, China. The wondrous land of loopholes. I'm surprised it took them so long to order some A380's.

In an all economy class configuration they could stuff 800 or so people in them, and if any country could use that, it's China.

And India, too. Wonder when they'll get in on that.

Bigtime
Jun 24, 2011, 6:12 PM
Doesn't Kingfisher in India have an order for a few A380's?

Yume-sama
Jun 24, 2011, 6:28 PM
So they have~ 10 of them. Apparently Airbus seems to think India will be ordering 1100 passenger jets over the next 20 years.

Boom times ahead in China and India for sure :P

It would be nice to see Kingfisher fly out here. I know we have so many Indians, you'd assume it would be economical *_*

Bigtime
Jun 24, 2011, 6:45 PM
I think there could be potential for a route that went DEL-YYC-YVR-YYC-DEL (if that would even be allowed).

I know flying out of YYC on AC or LH to FRA and the one flight I took on BA to LHR the flights were full of Indians heading that way.

Perhaps a YVR-India route will pop up once AC starts to get their 787's?

CLC
Jun 25, 2011, 8:58 PM
http://media.bclocalnews.com/images/76503richmondseaislandbusinesspark3.jpg

By Matthew Hoekstra - Richmond Review
Published: June 24, 2011 1:00 PM
Updated: June 24, 2011 1:26 PM
A six-building business park and hotel is being planned by Vancouver International Airport Authority on Sea Island.

The airport authority issued a request for expressions of interest this week for a design team to plan what it dubs the Sea Island Business Park, which would be located on a 13-hectare (32-acre) airport-controlled site next to Canada Line’s Templeton Station.

The site is next to a newly-built 2,500-space park-and-ride facility for airport employees and near a planned 700,000-square-foot Canada Post mail processing plant that’s expected to open in 2014.

According to Raymond Segat, director cargo and business development for the airport authority, the Sea Island Business Park could bring 800,000 square feet of office space and 250 hotel rooms within two transit stops of the airport terminal.

“We see this as being a real change agent to bring the airport closer to the downtown business community, using the Canada Line as a connector to that,” said Segat.

Segat said any revenue from the project would go back into the airport and keep fees low for its carriers.

Aircraft noise won’t be an issue for the business park’s new tenants, according to Segat, adding the buildings will be constructed with a minimum gold LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) standard.

“The offices will be soundproof,” he said. “The site has unbelievable attractive views and positioning. You’re going to be able to see outside your window planes landing.”

The office towers would range from approximately four to eight storeys, cost $200 million to build and be phased in “over the next several years as dictated by market conditions and demand,” according to the proposal document.

Construction on the first buildings and hotel is expected to begin in 2012.

Although the site doesn’t offer a central employment base, being located next to an airport and rapid transit line would be an advantage to international companies, said Ron Bagan, managing director for the Colliers International in Vancouver.

“There is definite evidence in the suburban market that being right on or close to a station, that those projects have a much lower vacancy rate than projects that are not on rapid transit,” said Bagan, adding projects pending along Vancouver’s Cambie corridor could compete with the Sea Island site.

City hall’s role in the development is “quite limited,” said city spokesperson Ted Townsend, as the land is owned by the federal government and controlled by the airport authority through a long-term lease.

Coun. Harold Steves said it makes sense to locate businesses on Sea Island that require the airport’s services, adding new taxes from the new development would be welcomed by the city.

deasine
Jun 26, 2011, 12:54 AM
Doesn't Kingfisher in India have an order for a few A380's?

So they have~ 10 of them. Apparently Airbus seems to think India will be ordering 1100 passenger jets over the next 20 years.

Boom times ahead in China and India for sure :P

It would be nice to see Kingfisher fly out here. I know we have so many Indians, you'd assume it would be economical *_*

Kingfisher does have A380s ordered, however, there was speculation on whether that is actually feasible. From what most know, it's mostly on hold.

And like I said earlier, YVR-DEL is the most popular route without a direct flight right now. Being a *A flyer, I would totally support Air Canada pioneering on this route. But again, I know the loads of this route, and it can fluctuate quite a bit depending on the season (and it doesn't necessarily follow the traditional high/low season schedule).

There is a thread on this purchase over at airliners.net. It sounds like Hainan Airways is using Hong Kong airlines to purchase the 10 A380's for them to ultimately use, this allows them to bypass some of the government stuff in China proper:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5181223/

As much as I like an A380 to fly to YVR, I don't think it will happen with Hong Kong Airlines. YVR-HKG (and now YVR-CAN) is highly competitive amongst airlines, and CX already has 2 daily flights out to YVR. It'd be great to see Hong Kong Airlines further adding competitiveness, but Hong Kong Airlines has a lot of other routes that they want to compete directly with Cathay Pacific (namely HKG-LHR, HKG-SFO, and HKG-LAX). That being said, a HKG-JFK route with a stopover at YVR could be likely, but I still have my doubts it would be with an A380.

I think there could be potential for a route that went DEL-YYC-YVR-YYC-DEL (if that would even be allowed).

I know you live in YYC, but I don't think it makes a lot of sense to fly to YYC first before YVR, when it passes through YVR first. Anyway, unless AC and WS are operating, this route won't be approved.

Bigtime
Jun 26, 2011, 1:48 AM
I know you live in YYC, but I don't think it makes a lot of sense to fly to YYC first before YVR, when it passes through YVR first. Anyway, unless AC and WS are operating, this route won't be approved.

Have it stop in YVR first then, I think between YVR and YYC we could support this kind of service year round.

nname
Jun 26, 2011, 3:15 AM
Have it stop in YVR first then, I think between YVR and YYC we could support this kind of service year round.

DEL-YYC-YVR-DEL would probably make more sense - shorter route that basically serve the same purpose

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=DEL-YVR-YYC-DEL

trofirhen
Jun 26, 2011, 3:57 AM
I know you live in YYC, but I don't think it makes a lot of sense to fly to YYC first before YVR, when it passes through YVR first. Anyway, unless AC and WS are operating, this route won't be approved.[/QUOTE]
Deasine, when you say unless AC and WS are operating, this route won't be approved, do you mean that one or both of our main carriers will have to have rights to Delhi before the route is approved? I'm just trying to clarify.

Also, if they DO operate, would Kingfisher get landing rights in Canada also?

hollywoodnorth
Jun 26, 2011, 9:14 AM
WestJet has "aspirations to become a much bigger player in the transborder markets," Saretsky said. "We want to feed traffic into our network from all geographies around the world."

"India specifically is an important point for us," he said.

It's also a market that rival Air Canada (AC.B.T) has set its sights on, although the airline is waiting to take delivery of the Boeing 787 before introducing routes to India.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110614-706904.html

Gordon
Jun 26, 2011, 2:31 PM
Any International expansion for WestJet would be through codeShares & Alliances Unless they want to move away from their business model( Southwest Airlines) Single plane type. This is one of the things made westjet so successful. who knows maybe they will join Oneworld or Skyteam.

Bigtime
Jun 26, 2011, 3:26 PM
I don't think Westjet will join Oneworld or Skyteam. Their current CEO comes from Alaskan, which has done a very nice job of making plenty of agreements with airlines from all alliance groups. I very much see that as something Westjet will continue to try and do, without locking themselves into any one group (of course trying anything with the Star Alliance carriers is probably a no go).

trofirhen
Jun 26, 2011, 4:49 PM
Nice to see the India market come up for scrutiny. Now maybe Emirates will pose no threat to us. (Though they would probably decide it wasn't worth it flying here, not after this) :haha:

hollywoodnorth
Jun 26, 2011, 9:00 PM
Any International expansion for WestJet would be through codeShares & Alliances Unless they want to move away from their business model( Southwest Airlines) Single plane type. This is one of the things made westjet so successful. who knows maybe they will join Oneworld or Skyteam.

you are incorrect .... they may have started with the SouthWest/Ryan Air model .... BUT they have already started to experiment OUTSIDE that box.

example >> http://nycaviation.com/2011/02/photo-westjet-welcomes-boeing-757-to-fleet-for-hawaii-service/

over the next decade they will add a 2nd (and even 3rd) aircraft type to satisfy the Long haul routes they want to feed into their network. think 787.

ALSO take a look at AirAsia ...... they created AirAsia X a long haul sub airline.

I could see West Jet doing that ... but I think they will keep it in the West Jet standard brand name.

deasine
Jun 26, 2011, 10:31 PM
Deasine, when you say unless AC and WS are operating, this route won't be approved, do you mean that one or both of our main carriers will have to have rights to Delhi before the route is approved? I'm just trying to clarify.

Also, if they DO operate, would Kingfisher get landing rights in Canada also?

Think: will Transport Canada approve a route that will threaten competition on both carriers? If they aren't allowing more landing slots for Emirates because Air Canada is complaining, what makes you think they will allow a non-Canadian airline operate between two Canadian cities?

As hollywoodnorth, WestJet's model isn't so much a low-cost carrier anymore. I can really see WestJet grow into a more of hybrid model: AirAsia X, Air Berlin, Aer Lingus.

hollywoodnorth
Jun 27, 2011, 12:54 AM
ALSO to note ... Southwest Airlines is no longer a 1 type fleet

details >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Airlines#AirTran_Airways_.E2.80.93_acquired_2011

they will be a Boeing 717 & Boeing 737 fleet as of the new year when they officially bring in AirTran Airways.

;)

satishreddy
Jun 27, 2011, 1:52 AM

Canada and Singapore signed a new air services bilateral in 2007. See

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/releases-nat-2007-07-h213e-3274.htm

Quote from above site:

The agreement is a modern framework for air services that permits any number of air carriers from either country to operate non-stop passenger and all-cargo scheduled air services as frequently as desired, between any city in Canada and Singapore.

I believe (take this with a grain of salt) that Singapore wanted to increase the frequency of SIN-ICN-YVR from 3 per week to daily, but were not given permission. They can fly nonstop SIN-YVR as many times as they like under the new bilateral, but I don't think they can make money on that routing. As far as I know, in North America, they only fly non-stop between SIN and LAX and SIN and Newark. I don't think they even fly non-stop SIN -SFO.