PDA

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139

incognism
Jun 27, 2011, 5:27 PM
Canada and Singapore signed a new air services bilateral in 2007. See

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/releases-nat-2007-07-h213e-3274.htm

Quote from above site:

The agreement is a modern framework for air services that permits any number of air carriers from either country to operate non-stop passenger and all-cargo scheduled air services as frequently as desired, between any city in Canada and Singapore.

I believe (take this with a grain of salt) that Singapore wanted to increase the frequency of SIN-ICN-YVR from 3 per week to daily, but were not given permission. They can fly nonstop SIN-YVR as many times as they like under the new bilateral, but I don't think they can make money on that routing. As far as I know, in North America, they only fly non-stop between SIN and LAX and SIN and Newark. I don't think they even fly non-stop SIN -SFO.

SQ operates SQ1/2 SFO-HKG-SFO.

deasine
Jun 27, 2011, 9:21 PM
The agreement is a modern framework for air services that permits any number of air carriers from either country to operate non-stop passenger and all-cargo scheduled air services as frequently as desired, between any city in Canada and Singapore.

I believe (take this with a grain of salt) that Singapore wanted to increase the frequency of SIN-ICN-YVR from 3 per week to daily, but were not given permission. They can fly nonstop SIN-YVR as many times as they like under the new bilateral, but I don't think they can make money on that routing. As far as I know, in North America, they only fly non-stop between SIN and LAX and SIN and Newark. I don't think they even fly non-stop SIN -SFO.

Well that's the thing, they can't increase services on their stopover routes, and yes, I believe LAX and EWR are their only direct routes to North America. There's no way SQ can be making any money without stopovers.

trofirhen
Jun 28, 2011, 10:36 AM
WestJet has "aspirations to become a much bigger player in the transborder markets," Saretsky said. "We want to feed traffic into our network from all geographies around the world."

"India specifically is an important point for us," he said.

It's also a market that rival Air Canada (AC.B.T) has set its sights on, although the airline is waiting to take delivery of the Boeing 787 before introducing routes to India.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110614-706904.html

:previous::previous::previous:
Glad to see Westjet developing some real muscle, and attempting to crack the long-haul overseas market. The better they can compete with Air Toronto, the happier I'll be.

hollywoodnorth
Jun 28, 2011, 1:05 PM
silly question .... what 747 served routes does YVR have? if any?

LeftCoaster
Jun 28, 2011, 1:36 PM
Doesn't Cathay still have a whackload of them? I'd imagine they would still fly them to YVR.

vanlaw
Jun 28, 2011, 1:59 PM

BA to Heathrow.

LeftCoaster
Jun 28, 2011, 2:00 PM
Just took a look on wiki out of curiosity. Out of the cariers that fly to Vancouver several of them operate 747s:

Air China
Air New Zealand
British Airways
Korean Air
Lufthansa
KLM
Phillipine Airlines

Out of all of those I would imagine at least one or two would service YVR with a 747.

Bigtime
Jun 28, 2011, 2:19 PM
Going by memory KLM operates the MD-11 to YVR, and Lufthansa is usually the A340-300 or -600 series.

Hourglass
Jun 28, 2011, 3:34 PM
BA still regularly flies the 744 into YVR.

Cathay flies their 744s into Vancouver on one of their daily flights, but only during peak seasons, I think. For the flight that continues to New York, they use the B777.

idunno
Jun 28, 2011, 4:05 PM
Does JAL not fly YVR-NRT on a 747 anymore?

incognism
Jun 28, 2011, 4:37 PM

On the current schedule:

BA YVR-LHR
CX YVR-HKG (not every day)

NZ YVR-AKL operated with a 744 3x weekly for a few months last winter.

BA still regularly flies the 744 into YVR.

Cathay flies their 744s into Vancouver on one of their daily flights, but only during peak seasons, I think. For the flight that continues to New York, they use the B777.

For CX838/839, which is the afternoon flight that does not go onwards to JFK, it alternates between a A343 and a 744, depending on the day.

Does JAL not fly YVR-NRT on a 747 anymore?

They used to. It was operated by a 777 this winter, and now on a 767 for the current summer schedule.

satishreddy
Jun 28, 2011, 4:44 PM
Just took a look on wiki out of curiosity. Out of the cariers that fly to Vancouver several of them operate 747s:

Air China
Air New Zealand
British Airways
Korean Air
Lufthansa
KLM
Phillipine Airlines

Out of all of those I would imagine at least one or two would service YVR with a 747.

Here is my understanding of the aircraft types flown to Vancouver. Please correct as necessary.

Air China typically sends the A330 for their 12 flights a week. I have seen the Air China B747 on a rare occasion

Air NZ flies the B777-200 during our summer and the B747 during our winter

British Airways flies B747 on all their flights

Korean Air flies the B777-200. In the peak summer, they might use the B747-400

Lufthansa flies the A340-300 during the winter and the A340-600 during the summer

KLM flies the A330 and the MD-11

Philippine Airlines flies the A340-300 and the B777-300ER

EVA Airlines flies the B747-400. I have seen the B777-300ER on a few occasions.

China Airlines flies the A340-300

Japan Airlines now flies the B767-300. Used to fly the B747-400.

Cathay Pacific flies the A340-300, B777-300ER and the B747-400

China Eastern flies the A340-300

China Southern flies the B777-200

For overseas (Europe, Australia, Asia) Air Canada flies the A330, B767-300, B777-300ER, and the B777-200L

deasine
Jun 28, 2011, 10:27 PM
China Airlines actually flies 747s to YVR now. They've changed their aircraft ever since the summer really as they moved their 340s operations to Australia instead. EVA generally uses their 747s, but yes 777s is occasionally seen.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 29, 2011, 12:39 AM
^^

Pretty thorough analysis!

Might as well add:

Condor 763

Edelweiss flies both the 332 and the 333

Air Berlin 332 - also noted they are increasing their DUS flights to 3 weekly from late July through early October.

Thomas Cook 332

Air Transat 332 (also 310 during the winter scheds)

A couple of clarifications...

NZ is actually going to increase frequency next winter to 4 weekly 772, replacing a mix of 772 and 744. Overall this is a slight increase in capacity.

KL tends to fly M11 in the summer (daily) and 332 in the winter (5 weekly).

JL to continue daily 763. They were showing a return to the 772 for the upcoming winter, but, not surprisingly, that has been reversed back to the 763. JAL's 744s are all gone.

MU sometimes flies the 346 as well.

And as deasine(^) says, CI has been flying 744s lately.

hollywoodnorth
Jun 29, 2011, 9:56 AM
thanks for the info guys!

Johnny Aussie
Jul 1, 2011, 7:35 AM
^
All this talk about 744s and I just read on airlineroute.net...

Korean Air boosting the daily YVR-ICN to a daily 744 from 22 Jul to 24 Sep. That is a pretty big boost up from a daily 772. Must be some significant demand to boost every flight of the week to a 744. Good to see that.

officedweller
Jul 2, 2011, 12:08 AM
YVR is moving ahead with its office park at Templeton Station:

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Business+park+hotel+planned+Island/5022131/story.html

METRO VANCOUVER - The Vancouver Airport Authority plans to start construction next year on a $250-million business park and hotel on Sea Island next to the Canada Line's Templeton station.

The six-building business park will be constructed on a 13-hectare site adjacent to a new 2,500space park-and-ride facility for YVR employees and a Canada Post mail-processing plant that's slated to open in 2014.

"We see this as drawing the airport closer to the downtown business community," Raymond Segat, YVR's director, cargo and business development, said Tuesday about the project, called the Sea Island Business Park. "Our planning shows for 800,000 square feet of office space and a hotel of 250 rooms."

The airport authority is looking for expressions of interest from an architect to design the project, which would consist of buildings four to eight storeys in height and be built by about 2020.

bmorton@vancouversun.com

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Business+park+hotel+planned+Island/5022131/story.html#ixzz1QtydQ8IY

giallo
Jul 2, 2011, 3:46 AM
I'm doing Icheon to Vancouver on Korean Air later this month. I've never flown with KA before, so I don't really know what to expect. Has anyone done that route? What are the planes like? Do you get your own TV?

mr.x
Jul 2, 2011, 10:00 AM
http://www.aerbt.co.uk/images/101018/YVR_Sea_Island_Business_Park1.JPG
http://www.aerbt.co.uk/article/2648

trofirhen
Jul 2, 2011, 11:28 AM
I'm doing Icheon to Vancouver on Korean Air later this month. I've never flown with KA before, so I don't really know what to expect. Has anyone done that route? What are the planes like? Do you get your own TV?
:previous:
I flew on KA twice: Seoul to Vancouver, and Seoul to London - but that's some years ago, and it was economy class, so things may have changed since then. If you're going business class you might get your own TV, but to me, it was much like any other airline.

Hourglass
Jul 2, 2011, 3:45 PM
I flew on KA twice: Seoul to Vancouver, and Seoul to London - but that's some years ago, and it was economy class, so things may have changed since then. If you're going business class you might get your own TV, but to me, it was much like any other airline.

I've done regional intra-Asia flights on KE (not to be confused with KA or Dragonair, the regional subsidiary of Cathay Pacific... ;)) and they're not bad. They're rated 4* on Skytrax (by comparison, Air Canada rates 3*). Skytrax may not be the best benchmark, but the reviews by other travelers give a pretty good idea of what to expect). Also, with Korean Air, you get to fly through Incheon -- a great hub airport.

Giallo, KE has upgraded their biz and economy seats on their Vancouver flights, and unless there's a last-minute aircraft change, all seats should be equipped with personal TVs and AVOD.

Vancity
Jul 2, 2011, 6:07 PM
http://www.aerbt.co.uk/images/101018/YVR_Sea_Island_Business_Park1.JPG
http://www.aerbt.co.uk/article/2648

They should really look into developing better transit into these business parks, so as to encourage people leaving their cars at home. If only the public transportation could be improved to get to work (convenience!).

Those early drawings, look, well...meh. Nothing inspiring.

idunno
Jul 2, 2011, 10:46 PM
It's literally the closest thing to that Canada Line Station...

giallo
Jul 3, 2011, 4:00 AM
I've done regional intra-Asia flights on KE (not to be confused with KA or Dragonair, the regional subsidiary of Cathay Pacific... ;)) and they're not bad. They're rated 4* on Skytrax (by comparison, Air Canada rates 3*). Skytrax may not be the best benchmark, but the reviews by other travelers give a pretty good idea of what to expect). Also, with Korean Air, you get to fly through Incheon -- a great hub airport.

Giallo, KE has upgraded their biz and economy seats on their Vancouver flights, and unless there's a last-minute aircraft change, all seats should be equipped with personal TVs and AVOD.

Thanks, Hourglass.

I would have taken AirCanada, but all seats were sold out, and even though it was direct from Shanghai, I couldn't bring myself to fly intercontinentally on China Eastern. I'd rather add a few hours on to my trip and have a decent flight than fly with that outfit.

Hourglass
Jul 3, 2011, 4:51 AM

Yeah, China Eastern is not my preferred airline... ;) I'd take Air China or China Southern over MU any day. Glad to hear Air Canada is doing well on the YVR route. Hopefully they will add more capacity!

Yume-sama
Jul 3, 2011, 5:09 AM
Thanks, Hourglass.

I would have taken AirCanada, but all seats were sold out

I was looking to book for a variety of dates all Summer long and it's ridiculous how busy the flights were to and from Shanghai~! And with limited seats came over inflated prices.

The Chinese are invading :P

I decided to save mainland China for another year and am going to HK + Singapore this year lol

deasine
Jul 3, 2011, 5:21 AM
AC is doing amazingly well on all their Asian routes pretty much.

trofirhen
Jul 3, 2011, 12:40 PM
I'm going to San Diego in August. Been there before. Lindbergh Field is about the same scale as YVR, although almost all of its routes are domestic.

However ... I change planes at ORD, and that's exciting for me. It's an airport I've never been to, and given it size and rank, should be quite the airport experience. :cool:

GeeCee
Jul 3, 2011, 10:06 PM
I'm going to San Diego in August. Been there before. Lindbergh Field is about the same scale as YVR, although almost all of its routes are domestic.

The terminal isn't exactly on the same scale as YVR.. :)

trofirhen
Jul 3, 2011, 10:25 PM
The terminal isn't exactly on the same scale as YVR.. :)

Would you say it's bigger or smaller? It has two terminal buildings now.

trofirhen
Jul 4, 2011, 1:41 PM
Would you say it's bigger or smaller? It has two terminal buildings now.
Anyway, although San Diego has fewer overseas destinations than Vancouver, and perhaps a somewhat smaller terminal, both airports, at last count, carried 16-and-something million passengers per year

Johnny Aussie
Jul 7, 2011, 2:41 AM
^^^^^^
Speaking of China, many secondary airports in China are now starting to land long-haul international flights. Now, by secondary, I really just mean not Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou or Hong Kong. Some of these "secondary" cities have upwards of 5 million people and already massive airports. Some examples are KLM to Chengdu and Hangzhou, Finnair to Chongqing, Lufthansa to Nanjing etc....But what I am getting at, is with the continuous growth of China, Canada landing ADS etc etc, there is a tremendous amount of opportunity to increase flights to China.

I am curious, if Harmony Airways was still in business today, and did obtain long-range widebody aircraft... I reckon we would see them flying numerous weekly flights there today. (a lot of what-ifs I know) Now is the time to start really looking at those secondary markets.

Johnny Aussie
Jul 7, 2011, 10:29 PM
Winter Sun Scheds are starting to finalise and looks like YVR is going to see a bit of Thomas Cook (Jazz) 757 action. (for Sunquest)

YVR - MBJ Saturdays
YVR - PUJ Sudays

Sunwing looks like it will increase flying from YVR by about 30% and Air Transat (sun scheds) looks like about the same amount of flying as last year. Air Transat is also taking over the LGW ski charter from Thomas Cook.

Johnny Aussie
Jul 13, 2011, 3:49 AM
China Southern Cargo has started their much anticipated 4 weekly freighter flights to Shanghai last week. China Southern cargo and passenger combined now offer 7 weekly flights from YVR.

Johnny Aussie
Jul 14, 2011, 3:52 AM
More China news.
Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but this is where everything seems to be happening.

Cathay Pacific - the second daily flight looks like maintaining daily 744 for the entire winter scheds. Last winter the 2nd daily was a mix of 744 and 343. The other flight (through to JFK) still maintaing 773.
Air China - looks like they are going to maintain the 12 weekly flights right through the upcoming winter scheds. Originally was planned to scale back to last year's 10 weekly only.
China Eastern - maintaining daily PVG as last winter.
China Southern - maintaining its new 3 weekly schedule (they didn't fly to YVR last winter). According to their recent press release, they want to increase the CAN-YVR route to daily by next summer.

As for Air Canada don't really expect or see much change, if at all.

Van23H
Jul 14, 2011, 5:34 AM
thanks for your updates! All the asia flights further develop the critical mass needed to attract new routes to asia. I would like to see Kuala lumpur, Bangkok and more mainland China destinations added.

LeftCoaster
Jul 14, 2011, 1:27 PM
More China news.
Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but this is where everything seems to be happening.

Dont worry, much of the news in the world sounds like a broken record these days.

If you dont mind me asking whats your motivation for updating us here? You seem to be an Aussie living in Melbourne, do you have a connection to Vancouver at all?... or just a really intense passion for the aviation industry?

Johnny Aussie
Jul 14, 2011, 9:37 PM
^ I am Canadian (originally from Vancouver and lived in Calgary). I follow the aviation / airport/ transport industry passionately... both work/business related and general interest as well. I travel so much I am always interested in what is going on in the air, behind the scenes and strategically. Western Canada and Australia are my main focusses when it comes to aviation.

LeftCoaster
Jul 15, 2011, 2:09 PM
Cool, well thanks and keep it up!

Johnny Aussie
Jul 17, 2011, 11:04 AM
Just noted Sunquest has now added:

YVR - CZM Mondays.

This will be a new non-stop route from YVR to Cozumel.

Total of 3 weekly YVR - sun destinations flown By Thomas Cook (Jazz) for Sunquest Winter 2011-12.

YVR - MBJ Saturdays
YVR - PUJ Sundays
YVR - CZM Mondays

hollywoodnorth
Jul 17, 2011, 5:06 PM
thx for all the updates Johnny Aussie!

looks like YVR will have a nice upward trent in passenger numbers this year.

SpongeG
Jul 19, 2011, 4:10 AM
New cargo-only flight takes B.C. goods to China

Berries, fish shipped four times a week

By Brian Morton, Postmedia News July 18, 2011

Claude Tchao believes the launch of Canada's first allfreight cargo flight service between Vancouver and mainland China will not only keep his existing Chinese customers happy but open new markets for seafood exports.

"This shortens the time by about three to five hours between Shanghai and Vancouver," the chairman of Richmond-based Tri-Star Seafood said of the China Southern Airlines service, which recently began flights to China's manufacturing and industrial centre.

"There's less handling and it's more efficient.

Customers get the product much faster, especially in peak season. This will be very beneficial."

Tchao, who exports live Dungeness crabs and geoducks, a type of clam, to a Chinese market that's keen on B.C. seafood products, is one of the first local business owners to take advantage of the fourtimes-a-week service by China Southern, which also began three-times-a-week passenger flights between Vancouver and Guangzhou last month.

Tchao also uses Cathay Pacific's cargo flights to Hong Kong, where his seafood is transferred to other destinations around China, and he will continue doing so. But he said the new China Southern flights could prompt "fierce competition" for the Chinese cargo market involving other airlines as well.

He noted that Cathay's cargo prices are a bit cheaper than China Southern's.

Tchao said that on one China Southern all-cargo flight, he shipped 68 cases of crabs, with 20 to 25 crabs in each case, and 14 cases of geoducks, each case carrying 20 to 22 geoducks.

The seafood is shipped directly to wholesale distributors in China, who then deliver the product to seafood markets, where most are bought by restaurants for use in banquets.

Although the launch of China Southern's passenger service to Guangzhou garnered most of the attention last month, its lesser known all-cargo service is also a major reason for the airline's entry into the B.C. market.

As the first all-freight cargo carrier between Vancouver and Shanghai, China Southern will be transporting products such as B.C.-grown berries, salmon and other seafood products to China, with electronic equipment, including cellphones, and new clothing coming the other way from Shanghai to Vancouver.

The new service comes as Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird embarks on a trip to China, news of which was greeted well by members of Canada's business community anxious to boost economic ties with the ever-growing superpower

Baird signalled several weeks ago that strengthening trade ties with the world's second-largest economic power is a "priority."

A Vancouver Airport Authority official said that due to the airport's strategic Pacific Rim location and access to North America's rail and highway systems, the new service is also a viable option for businesses in the larger Pacific Northwest region and, in fact, has already been used by Washington state berry shippers .

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/cargo+only+flight+takes+goods+China/5117921/story.html#ixzz1SWMro3eu

Johnny Aussie
Jul 20, 2011, 9:38 AM
Just noticed Westjet going to have a pretty decent bump this winter:
(comparison is to last winter scheds)

Transborder
HNL up 2 to 13 p/w
LIH up 1 to 3 p/w
KOA up 1 to 3 p/w
OGG up 2 to 14 p/w
PHX up 1 to 7 p/w
SNA up 7 to 7 p/w (new route from this summer)

WS will have 82 transborder flights per week. This is an increase of 14 flights per week compared to Winter 10/11.

International
CUN up 1 to 7 p/w

As noted before MBJ is gone.

International will have 16 flights per week, same as last winter.

Total Westjet transborder/international is up to a massive 98 flights per week from YVR this winter!

trofirhen
Jul 20, 2011, 5:13 PM
Great to see Westjet doing so well, and giving Air Toronto some unexpected competition.

However, in addition this, I've heard talk of Westjet being the main occupant of Pier A in the Domestic Terminal. Can anyone fill me in on this? Any photos? Any development going on?

Hurray for our side, anyway.:tup:

s211
Jul 20, 2011, 5:44 PM
However, in addition this, I've heard talk of Westjet being the main occupant of Pier A in the Domestic Terminal.

Talk of? Haven't they already been exclusive in Pier A for a few years now?

Are you perhaps thinking B?

Gordon
Jul 20, 2011, 9:03 PM
Westjet has been the only tenant of Pier A for a number of years now the Airport Authority renovated the area & installed the over the wing dual headed bridges. Pier B became overflow for WestJet when the expanded pier C opened.

deasine
Jul 20, 2011, 10:47 PM
There would also be a few AC planes using Pier B at times. Conclusion? Larger, better airport needed.

Johnny Aussie
Jul 21, 2011, 2:28 AM
Here is the Westjet press release....

http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=571

It doesn't talk about all the additions, just highlights. Usually Westjet press releases are a lot more detailed than this, but this one is bordering on the vague.

On the domestic front, Westjet is adding 1 daily flight on the YVR-YYZ route. There will now be a total of 6 per day (lesser on weekends). A few other domestic routes have a tweek of a weekly frequency up or down, but other than the additional daily Toronto, nothing significant at all.

whatnext
Jul 22, 2011, 12:08 AM
YVR is celebrating its 80th anniversary with a number of events over this coming weekend:

http://www.yvr.ca/en/flight-information/latest-information/11-07-12/80_Years_Come_Celebrate.aspx

Canadian Mind
Jul 22, 2011, 2:39 AM
YVR is celebrating its 80th anniversary with a number of events over this coming weekend:

http://www.yvr.ca/en/flight-information/latest-information/11-07-12/80_Years_Come_Celebrate.aspx

Great... Was hoping for as little hassel as possible getting through the airport.

deasine
Jul 22, 2011, 8:50 PM
Vancouver airport turns 80
When it opened there was a single runway, now it welcomes 17 million passengers a year
Gerry Bellett, Vancouver Sun: Friday, July 22, 2011 12:08 PM

http://www.globaltvbc.com/money/5140984.bin?size=sw380nws

Tony Gugliotta, senior vice president for marketing and commercial development at Vancouver International Airport in Richmond poses July 20, 2011 in the Link Atrium that connects the domestic and international terminals with the Canada Line.
Photo Credit: Ric Ernst, VANCOUVER SUN
In 1927, aviation icon Charles Lindbergh turned up his nose at flying into Vancouver as part of a North American tour marking his epic New York-to-Paris flight because "there was no field fit to land on."

Their invitation rejected, the city fathers were stung into action and four years later, on July 22, 1931, the Vancouver airport was officially opened on Sea Island with a hard-surfaced runway, the first in Canada.

So there, Charles.

And today, as Vancouver International Airport celebrates its 80th birthday, it draws delegations from airports around the world to admire its public art and West Coast decoration.

"There's a growing number of airports coming to talk to us about it," says Don Ehrenholz, vice-president of operations at the Vancouver Airport Authority.

They, too, would like their airports to showcase their regions, in the same way that Vancouver is reflected in the airport's theme of forest, sea and native art - the centrepiece being Bill Reid's Jade Canoe.

"They talk to us about how they can move in that direction. It's a growing trend," says Ehrenholz.

The original airport, bought and paid for by the City of Vancouver, was located where the south terminal is today.

It might have been elsewhere; the city looked at various sites, including one on the mud flats in North Vancouver, according to airport historian Richard Cook.

"They were looking all over for sites and they did consider North Vancouver, but the area was part of an Indian reserve so they went to Richmond," says Cook, who began working at the airport in 1957 and is now retired.

He believes the two biggest events in the airport's history were moving the main terminal to its present site in 1968 and the creation of the Vancouver Airport Authority in July 1992.

"Moving the terminal to the north allowed the airport to expand. By 1968, we were completely overcrowded in the old terminal. We needed room to breathe," says Cook.

"Then creating the airport authority enabled the airport to expand faster than it would under the federal government," said Cook.

Ehrenholz says that move was necessary because the federal government didn't have the money to fund the necessary expansion of the airport.

"Transport Canada decided to move to privatization and the Vancouver Airport Authority was born - the first airport to be privatized in Canada," he says.

Since then, more than $2.5 billion worth of expansion has occurred at the airport, including a new international terminal, a new runway, development of hotel and commercial facilities and the commissioning of public art.

In 1968, the new terminal provided 700,000 square feet. Today's terminal encompasses 3.5 million square feet and will likely expand again within the next 10 years, says Ehrenholz.

"We have 17 million passengers a year now [compared to 1,072 the year the airport first opened] and we can handle up to 21 million depending on the mix of aircraft. We expect to be up to 24-to-25 million within 10 years so there will have to be some growth - about five or six more gates - but not as much as we've seen in the last 10 years," he says.

Ehrenholz says YVR wants the airport to become a transit hub for passengers coming from Europe or Asia and heading to other destinations.

"We'd like to grow that business in the next 10 years. It would bring in people and maybe during the two hours they spend getting a coffee here they would get a brief taste of the West Coast and decide to come back for a visit," he says. But all that's in the future. Today is about the past.

So happy birthday, YVR.

YVR OPEN HOUSE

Two-day celebration

In recognition of YVR's 80th anniversary, the Vancouver Airport Authority is acknowledging the past and celebrating the future with a free community open house today and Saturday.

The two-day open house celebration takes place from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. both days, and highlights include an airside ballet at 11 a.m. daily; an 80 Memorable Moments photo gallery; a vintage aircraft display at the South Terminal; aircraft flypasts; a variety of family entertainment; and free commemorative giveaways. For detailed information and a schedule of events, visit www. yvr.ca.
(Global TV BC (http://www.globaltvbc.com/money/Vancouver+airport+turns/5145625/story.html) 2011)

Yume-sama
Aug 3, 2011, 8:24 PM
I somehow missed this before; but when I was booking a flight today I noticed that the JAL Sakura Lounge at YVR has closed. Guests now must use the "Plaza Premium Lounge". Too bad, really~

Johnny Aussie
Aug 3, 2011, 11:10 PM
^ Welcome to continual downsizing/cost-cutting of a struggling carrier.

Can you use CX's lounge instead?

The only Sakura Lounges left in N/A are JFK, SFO and HNL. They closed the ORD one in March and LAX ages ago.

Even HKG's closed last October.

deasine
Aug 5, 2011, 12:47 AM
^ Welcome to continual downsizing/cost-cutting of a struggling carrier.

Can you use CX's lounge instead?

The only Sakura Lounges left in N/A are JFK, SFO and HNL. They closed the ORD one in March and LAX ages ago.

Even HKG's closed last October.

Yeah I just noticed JAL closed their lounge. Unless you are a OneWorld Sapphire+ (JAL Mileage Bank Sapphire+ or JGC member+), you do not have access to CX lounge.

Ever since JAL ended their Mexico route from YVR, I didn't think having their lounge at YVR made much sense. Considering such few flights into YVR now, closing the lounge is really a given. Still though, JAL's product is disappointingly old and inconsistent amongst its fleet, and without a really huge overhaul of all their aircrafts, I can't see JAL improve.

In other news, both CI and MU will be reducing service to five flights weekly for the winter season.

Gordon
Aug 5, 2011, 4:54 AM
I wonder if Air China is going to keep it's extra flights (2:00Amdep) to PEK over the winter?

Hourglass
Aug 5, 2011, 7:01 PM
I wonder if Air China is going to keep it's extra flights (2:00Amdep) to PEK over the winter?

Air China goes from 12x/week to 10x/week for Winter 2011 starting mid-September

Yume-sama
Aug 5, 2011, 8:01 PM
Yeah I just noticed JAL closed their lounge. Unless you are a OneWorld Sapphire+ (JAL Mileage Bank Sapphire+ or JGC member+), you do not have access to CX lounge.

Ever since JAL ended their Mexico route from YVR, I didn't think having their lounge at YVR made much sense. Considering such few flights into YVR now, closing the lounge is really a given. Still though, JAL's product is disappointingly old and inconsistent amongst its fleet, and without a really huge overhaul of all their aircrafts, I can't see JAL improve.

In other news, both CI and MU will be reducing service to five flights weekly for the winter season.

Well, JAL is somehow managing to turn a profit a few quarters in a row now. Their restructuring seems to be going well.

It is true they have kind of shafted Canada with their service, compared to the luxuries they give on all of their American flights. There have been a few postings that suggest JAL is unhappy with their Vancouver client base, as it's too "tourist" oriented and rarely used for business travel at all, thus they are in no rush to provide Vancouver with an updated service. This is one of the articles that mentions it (in Japanese): http://vancouver.keizai.biz/headline/643/

The article basically says that Vancouver is the lowest priority and they don't plan to offer an upgraded service, because there are very few bookings outside of Economy lol

I wonder if other airlines feel the same way~?

Gordon
Aug 5, 2011, 8:49 PM
What is the frequency of JAL's service to YvR and how does it compare with AC's

Yume-sama
Aug 5, 2011, 8:51 PM
Both 1x daily, AC has 777 in peak times, 767 this Winter. JAL is now always 767 (down from a 747 9x weekly)~

In-flight experience is better on AC I find, technology wise. As such, I'll be flying AC to Tokyo.

They actually have quite a good sale on Economy ATM for Winter travel. $225 each way. Unfortunately taxes are $300 each way lol

Waiting for Executive Class prices to fall about 50% before I book. Never have paid over $1700 one way, and won't start now (currently at $3300!)~

If you feel like gambling you can book a sale economy fare and upgrade to First on the morning of travel for about $500. It's not exactly full during peak times, let alone Winter...

You just don't get your choice of meal, etc. if you get more than a standard economy meal at all :)

Johnny Aussie
Aug 6, 2011, 10:14 AM
^^
Gee I wonder why JAL is surprised (unhappy) it has a lower J class base out of YVR compared to the rest of its Americas flights. JFK, ORD, SFO, LAX - hmmm I am stumped!?

When you look at how JAL has just downsized beyong belief, I am surprised they even still fly to YVR. Just look at their route map now. However, even with a heavier Y-oriented client base, there must be reasons (happy?) to still fly the route, or they would have shut it along with half their system.

I cannot think of one route in/out of Japan that has not been capacity hit or outright cancelled in the last couple of years. The latest is DL to HND.

With the latest uncertainties in financial markets, the weak (eg JAL) will be more exposed to revenue risk.

YVR winter updates:

AC reducing HKG to 5 weekly for mid November - mid December (standard seasonal reduction)
CA is going to be 10 weekly (same as last winter) the 12 weekly commenced in May 2011.
CI is reducing to 5 weekly, looks like for the entire winter season (versus only for certain periods last winter).
MU reducing to 5 weekly only for November to mid December (returns to daily mid December - at least at this stage).
CX maintaing the second daily 744 vs mix of 744 / 343 last winter.
CZ obviously the new kid on the block maintaining its 3 weekly flights.
KE daily through entire winter scheds this winter (up from 5 weekly last winter)
AC reducing MEX from daily to 4 weekly for a few weeks Nov - early December
KL returning to the 332 instead of the M11.
JL maintaing 763 for the entire winter scheds (as mentioned above.. not surprised!)

Yume-sama
Aug 8, 2011, 7:22 PM
Waiting for Executive Class prices to fall about 50% before I book. Never have paid over $1700 one way, and won't start now (currently at $3300!)~

:D Fares have dropped over 50% to $1500 each way today. I don't understand why Air Canada always does this. :rolleyes:

Oh well, it always makes me excited to check in the morning and see it :P

Hot Rod
Aug 24, 2011, 7:03 AM
Any news on how China Southern CAN-YVR is doing?

Vanzunator
Sep 2, 2011, 9:11 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before.

Emirates has a dedicated section on their site, titled 'Emirates and Canada' which talks about their plans and challenges in Canada, an interesting read:
http://www.emirates.com/ca/English/about/public_affairs/emirates_and_canada/emirates_and_canada.aspx

Johnny Aussie
Sep 3, 2011, 3:15 AM
AC has just released its winter 2011/2012 schedules.

No really significant changes:

YZF daily is gone.

YXJ loses 1 daily rotation to 4 instead of 5.

A bit more shift to widebody service to YYZ (frequency exactly the same though) compared to last winter.

More E90 flying throughout Western Canada.

All other routes are status quo except the odd weekly frequency tweek up or down.

There is a slight increase in overall mainline flying though compared to last winter (avg 66 daily vs 65 daily).

Overall net loss to YVR is 10 fewer frequencies per week compared to last winter for the Air Canada Group.

Waders
Sep 3, 2011, 7:01 AM
Air Canada to charge for checked bags on international flights Source (http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/Canada+charge+checked+bags+international+flights/5348225/story.html)

If this trend continues, I can foresee one day passengers will be charged using the washroom during flight. :(

Yume-sama
Sep 3, 2011, 7:21 AM
Not a fan of their baggage fee to USA... I guess lucky I am flying WestJet on my next trip down South. WestJet BTW has said they have no plans to introduce a fee. It sucks especially since they are taking advantage of the hysterical (and yet one more temporary measure that became permanent) over reaction of the US and Canadian government regarding liquids on a plane (something that is allowed in Asia!), leaving the majority of people with no choice but to check a bag.

giallo
Sep 3, 2011, 10:34 AM
Not good, AC, not good.

I normally travel on AC between Shanghai and Vancouver in the summer but opted out this year due to insane ticket prices (almost a 30% increase from last year). I took Korean Air instead. Sure, I added four hours travel time to my flight, but I was greeted with amazing service at a decent price. I can't say the same about AC. Now with these extra baggage costs, it looks like I'll be flying with KA exclusively.

The Chinese are notorious penny-pinchers/deal-finders and also heavy packers, so you can bet that they'll look elsewhere when flying with two bags to Canada. Talk about isolating the biggest emerging market out there.

Nice business strategy, AC.

Yume-sama
Sep 3, 2011, 12:09 PM
Well, now you can only fly one airline to USA without baggage fee, as all American airlines charge it. For International, Air Canada pretty much holds a monopoly on that, so... enjoy :P As for fares, I have found they are slightly lower, but there's an outrageously high fuel tax in the neighbourhood of $700 per direction! Very misleading advertising...

vanlaw
Sep 3, 2011, 1:52 PM
Air Canada to charge for checked bags on international flights Source (http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/Canada+charge+checked+bags+international+flights/5348225/story.html)

If this trend continues, I can foresee one day passengers will be charged using the washroom during flight. :(

For now it looks as though the fee for first checked bag is only for US bound flights. For international, first checked bag is still free, with fee for second increasing.

MalcolmTucker
Sep 3, 2011, 5:44 PM
I would guess this is due to the joint venture for transborder - hard to be booking lots of AC customers through with a lower bag charge. Still, would be nice if they only made the charges apply for the lowest 'Tango' fare, like what they did with advance seat selection.

incognism
Sep 6, 2011, 4:14 PM
Well, now you can only fly one airline to USA without baggage fee, as all American airlines charge it. For International, Air Canada pretty much holds a monopoly on that, so... enjoy :P As for fares, I have found they are slightly lower, but there's an outrageously high fuel tax in the neighbourhood of $700 per direction! Very misleading advertising...

The outrageously high fuel surcharge is Japan specific, and is not only limited to AC. Virtually every other airline that has a fare filed YVR-NRT has a $670 fuel surcharge tacked on.

The fuel surcharge to other Asian destinations are less outrageous (HKG is $270, for example).

twoNeurons
Sep 6, 2011, 11:19 PM
The outrageously high fuel surcharge is Japan specific, and is not only limited to AC. Virtually every other airline that has a fare filed YVR-NRT has a $670 fuel surcharge tacked on.

The fuel surcharge to other Asian destinations are less outrageous (HKG is $270, for example).

Does Japan charge exorbitant fees for fuel, or something? I'd love more information on this, if you know.

Waders
Sep 7, 2011, 1:59 AM
YVR is testing a new security screening procedure based on "Behavioural Pattern Recognition (BPR)".
So if you are stressed out at work before the trip, be careful how you behave at the airport. :P
Source (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/09/06/bc-911-airport-security-behaviour-pattern-recognition.html)

Gordon
Sep 7, 2011, 2:48 AM
Seattle Narita Flights have roughly the same charge

incognism
Sep 7, 2011, 4:16 PM
Does Japan charge exorbitant fees for fuel, or something? I'd love more information on this, if you know.

Not necessarily, but the Japanese government allows Japan's carriers (JAL and ANA) to collect a fuel surcharge based on a the average price of jet fuel. As far as I know, the carriers apply to the government to increase/decrease the amount, based on a two-month average price.

There is a table to determine the surcharge, as detailed here:

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/fuel/detail.html
http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/asw_common/unchin/info.html

Since JAL is part of OneWorld and ANA is part of Star Alliance, for parity reasons, their alliance partners engage in a similar pricing practice.

Johnny Aussie
Sep 18, 2011, 6:56 AM
Small change to the domestic/transborder winter lineup at AC.

YYZ is having a daily flight added. So, an additional 7 weekly flights on the YVR-YYZ trunk route. Also, there is a slight shift to a bit more widebody service than last winter as well.

In addition SFO is picking up one additional weekly flight to 20 vs 19. I will be on one of those in January even! Go Air NZ code share.

A couple of other very minor changes not worth mentioning.

So the overall update: now only 5 fewer weekly frequencies compared to last winter but a shift to more mainline flying noted ~67 per day vs ~65.

usog
Sep 18, 2011, 8:27 AM
Huh, so we got open skies with Japan( http://airlineroute.net/2011/09/15/japan-canada-bilateral2011/ ) I wonder what this means for YVR?

teriyaki
Sep 18, 2011, 5:36 PM
Huh, so we got open skies with Japan( http://airlineroute.net/2011/09/15/japan-canada-bilateral2011/ ) I wonder what this means for YVR?

Thats very interesting. With the current grim state of the Japanese carriers, I don't foresee much route growth from them. The current 5th freedom route that Phillipine Air flies from YVR to LAS seems to be doing quite well though. Maybe YVR could be used as a mini-hub for North American flight since we're the only city JAL in Canada currently flies to?

If this new agreement means we'll possibly have new options for intra-canada or intra-north america travel with Japanese carriers, that's something very interesting to look forward to.

trofirhen
Sep 18, 2011, 6:26 PM
I think it would mean more unfettered air travel to Japan, and the cessation of negotiating, negotiating, negotiating.
With due respect to all readers here, I also hope that it means that the YVR thread will no longer be mostly consecrated to flights to Japan, Japan, and Japan.
Other news / destrinations would be nice.

trofirhen
Sep 18, 2011, 6:48 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before.

Emirates has a dedicated section on their site, titled 'Emirates and Canada' which talks about their plans and challenges in Canada, an interesting read:
http://www.emirates.com/ca/English/about/public_affairs/emirates_and_canada/emirates_and_canada.aspx

I was under the impression that all Emirates really wanted was much-increased service to Toronto, and not at all to Vancouver or Calgary. Or am I mistaken?

Hourglass
Sep 18, 2011, 9:24 PM
I think it would mean more unfettered air travel to Japan, and the cessation of negotiating, negotiating, negotiating.
With due respect to all readers here, I also hope that it means that the YVR thread will no longer be mostly consecrated to flights to Japan, Japan, and Japan.
Other news / destrinations would be nice.

Sorry, I Just find this statement a bit bizarre.

YVR's growth is predicated on it being the de facto Asian gateway to Canada and to a lesser extent, the US. At some point, it may be a connection point between Asia and Latin America. Sadly, therefore, most YVR news will continue to be about Asia -- of which Japan is one of the largest economies.

However, some non-Japan news that will gladden Trofirhen's heart is that Edelweiss will be increasing their seasonal summer service to YVR next year...

Yume-sama
Sep 18, 2011, 9:36 PM
There are only 2 flights to Japan per day nowadays anyways :P

It would be nicer to see re-introduction of service from Singapore Airlines. I flew from HKG - SIN and back last week with SQ in their A380 Suites (http://www.flickr.com/photos/syume/6131229623/ :D) and the flight attendants on both flights told me that SQ would like to fly to Vancouver again, but the government wouldn't budge on more than 3x per week, and they wanted daily. And boy, is SQ ever an airline! I suppose Air Canada just hates the idea that people could fly to Singapore on a nice airline and use it as an Asian gateway instead. On my flight back from HKG, MANY people were connecting from Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Singapore is also the most beautiful city (Country?) I've ever been to. Man, truly a World class place. We should probably study how they do things.

On the downside, it makes Vancouver seem uber affordable on an almost third-World level in comparison haha

deasine
Sep 19, 2011, 12:05 AM
I actually hope the open skies agreement can attract ANA to fly to YVR! It'll be it's first Canadian destination (or am I just hoping too much).

Interestingly enough, Brazil is home to the largest Japanese population outside of Japan. With this new fifth freedom access to Canada, I wonder if it could be viable for JAL or ANA to have a direct route to GRU (Sao Paulo) from NRT via a Canadian City. YYZ is technically a more direct transfer point for such a route, however (and likely has much more demand).

There are only 2 flights to Japan per day nowadays anyways :P

It would be nicer to see re-introduction of service from Singapore Airlines. I flew from HKG - SIN and back last week with SQ in their A380 Suites (http://www.flickr.com/photos/syume/6131229623/ :D) and the flight attendants on both flights told me that SQ would like to fly to Vancouver again, but the government wouldn't budge on more than 3x per week, and they wanted daily. And boy, is SQ ever an airline! I suppose Air Canada just hates the idea that people could fly to Singapore on a nice airline and use it as an Asian gateway instead. On my flight back from HKG, MANY people were connecting from Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Singapore is also the most beautiful city (Country?) I've ever been to. Man, truly a World class place. We should probably study how they do things.

Definitely agree with you on this one. But SQ has been cutting back on a few North American destinations, including cancellation of many direct flights btwn SIN and LAX. Singapore does have fifth freedoms in Canada, but that is only limited to direct non-passenger and passenger flights.

Anyway, here's to hoping for more airlines!

SpongeG
Sep 19, 2011, 5:33 AM
heres an article of interest

full article - graphic source:http://vancouver.openfile.ca/vancouver/file/2011/09/where-does-vancouver-fly

Where does Vancouver fly?

http://vancouver.openfile.ca/files/files_vancouver/vancouver-photo-assets/OFVan_flight%281%29.jpg?1316104785

usog
Sep 19, 2011, 6:36 AM
Has anyone ever flown YVR-Oakland, maybe Alaskan? I don't remember ever being able to fly to OAK.

teriyaki
Sep 19, 2011, 8:00 AM
Has anyone ever flown YVR-Oakland, maybe Alaskan? I don't remember ever being able to fly to OAK.

A quick search on kayak yielded no non-stop flights to Oakland. You can get there directly by hopping across the border to Bellingham though.

trofirhen
Sep 19, 2011, 5:41 PM
I actually hope the open skies agreement can attract ANA to fly to YVR! It'll be it's first Canadian destination (or am I just hoping too much).

Interestingly enough, Brazil is home to the largest Japanese population outside of Japan. With this new fifth freedom access to Canada, I wonder if it could be viable for JAL or ANA to have a direct route to GRU (Sao Paulo) from NRT via a Canadian City. YYZ is technically a more direct transfer point for such a route, however (and likely has much more demand).
-- -- -- --
Anyway, here's to hoping for more airlines!
Canada and Brazil just reached an air agreement of an "open skies" nature,
I believe, but that would only involve Toronto, possibly Montreal.

If there was a route Vancouver > Miami, would that not expedite possibilities for Asia - South America flights using Vancouver as a transfer point?

twoNeurons
Sep 19, 2011, 7:06 PM

THAT would be fantastic! However, forget about Narita, let's see ANA fly one of their new 787s from YVR to KIX (Osaka)! There are no longer ANY direct flights to Osaka.

Dream Come True!

A few points from the article:

Liberalizing air traffic between the two countries (Open-Skies) in effect from Summer 2013, when annual slots at Tokyo Narita Airport reaches 270000

Canadian Carriers will have unlimited 5th freedom rights beyond Japan, excluding Tokyo Airports
Japanese Carriers will have unlimited 5th freedom rights beyond Canada
Possible service increase to/from Tokyo Narita starting as early as Summer 2012
Restrictions for Service to/from Tokyo Narita will be removed by Summer 2013

So... if a Canadian airline wants to fly through Japan, it will have to fly through either Chubu Int'l (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C5%ABbu_Centrair_International_Airport) (Nagoya) or Kansai Int'l (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansai_International_Airport) (Osaka). Both airports are underutilized.

We could see destinations in India originating in Vancouver. Some locations can be flown direct, but until AC gets a good complement of 787s most Indian cities are out of range or at the very edge of range and 5th freedom through Japan would be very useful.

Johnny Aussie
Sep 19, 2011, 10:12 PM
Once Japan fully recovers from its disasters in the past few years (economic and natural) look for a re-announcement of YVR-HND. Hopefully sooner than later. Better slot times would help AC, so perhaps ANA would do the route with an AC codeshare.

I can also see KIX relaunch sometime in the future... who knows!

Gordon
Sep 19, 2011, 10:18 PM
Maybe we can get Singapore air back with their old route yvr- Osaka -SQ with the frequencies they they wanted before they left.

I would suspect that YVRAA sill take full advantage of this treaty.

Is there any news on the YvR HND route?

twoNeurons
Sep 19, 2011, 10:24 PM
Dropping HND (Haneda) though had little to do with the disaster. Air Canada had already dropped Haneda before the Earthquake. I was supposed to be on one of the flights and we got moved to NRT.

HND wasn't working well because, despite it being a really convenient airport for transfers to other cities in Japan and being really close to downtown, the restrictive time slots meant none of those benefits really worked for all but the most niche demographics.

Outbound was pretty good, leaving late night and arriving in the evening in Vancouver, but Inbound sucked... arriving after 10PM, late to get to a hotel and late for any connecting flights.

As an addendum to what I was talking about with a Vancouver - India Connection:

Only Air Canada's 18 777 planes can fly directly to India. The BULK of their widebody fleet is made up of 30 767s and 8 A320s. They wouldn't make it. The range of these planes with a full passenger load, however, are PERFECT for YVR-KIX-DEL or YVR-KIX-BOM.

They all have a range of about 6500 miles.

YVR to DEL : 6934 mi.
YVR to BOM : 7629 mi.

YVR - KIX - DEL (http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=YVR-KIX-DEL) : 4942 + 3409 = 8451 mi.
YVR - KIX - BOM (http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=YVR-KIX-BOM): 4942 + 3936 = 8877 mi.

Yume-sama
Sep 20, 2011, 12:27 AM
Is it not possible to fly from YVR - SIN directly? I notice SFO and LAX 777 & A380 service both stop / connect in NRT, ICN or HKG.

It doesn't seem *that* far lol But I guess it is.

Bigtime
Sep 20, 2011, 12:36 AM
Only Air Canada's 18 777 planes can fly directly to India. The BULK of their widebody fleet is made up of 30 767s and 8 A320s. They wouldn't make it. The range of these planes with a full passenger load, however, are PERFECT for YVR-KIX-DEL or YVR-KIX-BOM.

I believe you mean 8 A333's.

Yume-sama
Sep 20, 2011, 3:01 AM
Luckily they've ordered 37 787's to replace all of those 767's and A333's!

It would have been interesting to know what all they planned to do with those sweet, sweet planes back when they thought they'd be getting them a few years ago~

twoNeurons
Sep 20, 2011, 3:59 AM
I believe you mean 8 A333's.

Oops. Yes, I mean the A330-300s.

Is it not possible to fly from YVR - SIN directly? I notice SFO and LAX 777 & A380 service both stop / connect in NRT, ICN or HKG.

Yeah, I don't know if it's the distance or what. It's within the upper range of a 777, but I suspect that they won't be able to fill planes if they flew direct. You'd
think a city the size of LA could, but I guess not.

Just a hunch, mind you.

Hourglass
Sep 20, 2011, 5:35 AM

Not to mention weight limitations, especially during the winter when the headwinds are particularly strong heading west. And limited loads of course equals less $$$

I've been on Cathay flights from North America in winter that needed to make a technical stop in Taipei before continuing to Hong Kong due to the unfavorable jetstream.

But you have it right -- it's about filling planes, which was why SQ's Fifth Freedom stop via Seoul was such a bone of contention as it was felt this flight was siphoning passengers from Air Canada (and Korean Airlines, but I don't think that was so important...) ;). It's a similar argument in principle to why Emirate isn't being allowed more flights to Canada from Dubai.

MalcolmTucker
Sep 20, 2011, 6:27 AM
Singapore used to fly a direct to LAX all business class I believe, but that is gone now. I guess people just didn't have enough of a preference for saving the bit of time.

As for stops along the way - always nice to get out and stretch your legs - Taipei to LA is long enough as it is!

Johnny Aussie
Sep 22, 2011, 10:06 PM
^
SQ still flies the non-stop LAX-SIN J class only 5 x per week.

Another little tid bit on the Europe front:

Condor increasing from 2 per week to 3 per week next summer.
Flights will be on Mon, Wed and Sat.

So Air Berlin, Condor and Edelweiss should all be 3 weekly Summer 2012...

Also...looks like Air Transat taking over all Canadian Affair flying from Thomas Cook as well.. overall slight increase in frequency looks like by 1 per week.

... go Europe!

Johnny Aussie
Sep 23, 2011, 12:35 AM
Better than expected results in August 2011

Overall 1,761,692 up 3.3%

Good jumps in all sectors:
Domestic up 2.9% (expected to be a bit flatter)
An impressive 7.7% increase in Asia/Pacific (expected)
Transborder up 2.7% (was expected to be flat)
Europe very marginal increase of 0.02% (was expected to be flat)
Misc international massive increase of 20.9%

usog
Sep 23, 2011, 1:03 AM
Better than expected results in August 2011

Overall 1,761,692 up 3.3%

Good jumps in all sectors:
Domestic up 2.9% (expected to be a bit flatter)
An impressive 7.7% increase in Asia/Pacific (expected)
Transborder up 2.7% (was expected to be flat)
Europe very marginal increase of 0.02% (was expected to be flat)
Misc international massive increase of 20.9%

And that there is why we talk about Asia more than Europe here :P