PDA

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139

ozonemania
Feb 9, 2012, 11:29 PM
My experience has always been AC intl is one of the best while domestic is pretty bad. Noticed the same with BA as well though.Agreed based on my own experience. AC does their international flights well, even preferred. Domestic flights I tend to not fly with them, ugh! I've had some bad experiences with them. Mostly with their service crews' standard of service and attitude. After a long day of work in Edmonton/Calgary, trying to get home in time for dinner in Vancouver, I really don't appreciate the attendants treating me or watching them treat other passengers like they are noisome children.

usog
Feb 10, 2012, 12:01 AM
Just chiming in with a +1 on Westjet not being cheaper. This weekend I'm flying to Orange County and while Westjet has the direct flight from Vancouver its generally 150% more expensive than flying on Air Canada/United with a transfer at SFO which only adds an hour or two of travel time. Also +1 to SFO being nice, I fly through there every year sometimes on the way to Asia and it's definitely a nice airport. They gave me a bit of hassle when I opted out of the scanners but otherwise no problems.

ACT7
Feb 10, 2012, 3:49 AM
http://www.bivinteractive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5372:yvr-sees-year-on-year-passenger-increase-&catid=14:daily-news&Itemid=46
Thanks!

Johnny Aussie
Feb 10, 2012, 4:14 AM
I expect China - Canada travel to really take off in the next few years. Without a doubt it is booming downunder.
Perhaps the new visa arrangements for Chinese nationals and the new trade agreements will help.

Strangely, Air China talks about doubling flights. However, they are reducing capacity back to the one daily only. Also, Air Canada is flipping their PEK and NRT flights again. Right now they are showing PEK back to a 763 and NRT back to a 77W.

Yume-sama
Feb 10, 2012, 5:26 AM
^^ AC seems to be switching back to 77W for NRT just in time for Golden Week, in which every single Japanese person in the Country goes on vacation lol

The typical Chinese travel season is around Chinese New Year, and for Japan it's end of April / beginning May.

golog
Feb 10, 2012, 5:29 AM
The Canada - China package of agreements are not being released in detail until lawmakers of both countries have approved them. The details that have come out have been from private companies who announced orders.

I saw somewhere that quoted a bureaucrat as saying it was 18 (?) years in the making. It seems like a big one, probably made possible in no small part due to the extradition of Lai Changxing and others
http://www.asianpacificpost.com/article/flight-fugitives-0

trofirhen
Feb 11, 2012, 4:56 PM
Here's a link to the community consultation report for the YVR 2027 Master Plan: http://www.yvr.com/pdf/authority/publicoptions_2027.pdf

And (for those who haven't seen it) the link for what's already planned or u/c for 2010: http://www.yvr.com/pdf/authority/YourAirport2027summary.pdf

What does everyone think of the expansion options? I'd have to see more details regarding the connectivity to RAV but the Northeast terminal expansion option seems most favourable.

^ 21 million passengers projected for 2010? Wow...think they're being overly optimistic. Considering the passenger traffic hasn't really increased at YVR in 7 years. 2000 was still the strongest at just over 16 million, and 1998 saw 15.5 million. 2004 was 15.7 million.

Unless they're really counting on the Chinese now taking advantage of travelling to Canada...but still 5 million. That's kinda like TO's projection of hitting 45 million.

Probably counting on the 4 million passengers for the 2010 olympics.
Calgary on the other hand is blowing away all projections, 2005 is tracking towards 10.3 million up from 9.2 million in 2004.
http://www.calgaryairport.com/fts/getfile.cfm?FID=6441
:previous::previous::previous:

Just some retrospective posts from 2005 on YVR passenger growth - predicted and real - to hopefully give perspective to some recent discussion on this. :)

trofirhen
Feb 11, 2012, 5:08 PM
If I may, again; a YVR senior marketing person told me that there are several undervalued potential routes from Vancouver, (Paris, quite likely of course) but in particular Vancouver - Miami. Vancouver - Orlando nonstop is blocked by the fact that there is not enough connecting traffic at either terminus to make the route viable, so we'll continue seeing Disneyworld via Toronto.

But Vancouver - Miami? Would that not be profitable going to Caracas, Rio, SP, Buenos Aires? Also Puerto Rico and the Caribbean? We already have Mexico City, and so is that enough?

jlousa
Feb 11, 2012, 5:47 PM
If the airlines internal analysis showed that it would be more profitable then the existing service they would already be serving it.
Just like CDG it's been tried but unsuccessful, so the market needs to change before we see it tried again, otherwise it'll continue to be seasonal via charters.

whatnext
Feb 11, 2012, 6:13 PM
If I may, again; a YVR senior marketing person told me that there are several undervalued potential routes from Vancouver, (Paris, quite likely of course) but in particular Vancouver - Miami. Vancouver - Orlando nonstop is blocked by the fact that there is not enough connecting traffic at either terminus to make the route viable, so we'll continue seeing Disneyworld via Toronto.

But Vancouver - Miami? Would that not be profitable going to Caracas, Rio, SP, Buenos Aires? Also Puerto Rico and the Caribbean? We already have Mexico City, and so is that enough?

Air Canada used to fly YVR-MIA with an A319. Probably one of the longest North American transcontinental flights (it seemed very long when I last flew it). There's really no incentive for them to connect South America traffic to other carriers in Miami, when it can be done through their own network in Toronto. Given that other carriers, like AA, haven't tried to connect YVR to their South America network, it was likely marginal.

incognism
Feb 11, 2012, 8:09 PM
Air Canada used to fly YVR-MIA with an A319. Probably one of the longest North American transcontinental flights (it seemed very long when I last flew it). There's really no incentive for them to connect South America traffic to other carriers in Miami, when it can be done through their own network in Toronto. Given that other carriers, like AA, haven't tried to connect YVR to their South America network, it was likely marginal.

I can't imagine YVR-MIA being high on anybody's list.

As mentioned above, it makes more sense for AC to route passengers through YYZ. WS also flies YYZ-MIA.

For all the comparisons to SEA, AS has 9X weekly to SEA-Orlando and will be pulling their daily non-stop SEA-MIA for SEA-FLL.

Doesn't really seem like there's much demand for non-stop PNW-FL flights.

mezzanine
Feb 11, 2012, 9:35 PM
You can access south america on AA via YVR-DFW. you don't have to go thru miami.

If you are star alliance, and you want to avoid YYZ, fly to south america via IAH. Continental has good reach there.

cornholio
Feb 12, 2012, 12:43 AM
I can't imagine YVR-MIA being high on anybody's list.

As mentioned above, it makes more sense for AC to route passengers through YYZ. WS also flies YYZ-MIA.

For all the comparisons to SEA, AS has 9X weekly to SEA-Orlando and will be pulling their daily non-stop SEA-MIA for SEA-FLL.

Doesn't really seem like there's much demand for non-stop PNW-FL flights.

Miami is the gateway to South America, that is why it should be high on the list because currently flying to South America from Vancouver is a real pain.

Over the past 5 years there has been a absolutely huge influx of people from South America to Vancouver, something many people havent noticed. Mostly Brazilians, and generally wealthy, but lots of people also from Argentina, Columbia etc. and they tend to travel back and forth fairly often even if there are limited business connections at the moment. I have a strong connection to Sao Paulo and I know that there is big demand for travel from Vancouver to there and right now its a pain. A connection from YVR to Miami would do wonders as I know that TAM has two daily non stop flights to Sao Paulo and American Airlines also has two weekly non stop flights to Sao Paulo, and I think there are actually more but thats the minimum(16 weekly direct flights just to Sao Paulo).

Also someone mentioned Mexico city...Mexico city has imo surprisingly brutal connections to South America, when I wanted to fly from Mexico city to Sao Paulo last year the best connections were all through the US when I was trying to get a flight.

That is why Miami should be on the radar because its the best connection to South America, something that we lack and the demand really is there. Also of note they are relaxing visa requirements for Brazilians this year so the demand will only be increasing as Brazils upper middle class and higher is as wealthy and traveled as the upper middle class here due to their huge wealth disparity down there. If Canada were to ever lift visa restrictions between Brazil and Argentina, and knowing the facts I think it is likely going to happen this decade for these two countries then Brazil and Argentina will also lift visa restrictions fro Canadians and back and froth travel will explode, I would think any airline that establishes a good connection before this happens would stand to benefit.

As it stands now Canadians need visas to enter Brazil or Argentina or Paraguay and I cant remember which other south American countries but those for sure as they have a policy of imposing visas on nationals of countries who require visas for their citizens. Brazilians and Argentinians dont need visas to enter the EU and vice versa so since Canada and USA are already moving towards that direction it makes sense to assume that completely lifting visa restrictions like the EU has is the end goal(mind you Portugal and Spains relationship to south America is a big help in the EU's case).

Valley_Refugee
Feb 15, 2012, 6:53 AM
As it stands now Canadians need visas to enter Brazil or Argentina or Paraguay

The visa to enter Argentina is really only a formality - easily obtained upon landing for a fee, and valid for 5 years (I was just in Argentina last year). I think the Brazilian one may require advance application.

Chikinlittle
Feb 15, 2012, 7:49 AM
The visa to enter Argentina is really only a formality - easily obtained upon landing for a fee, and valid for 5 years (I was just in Argentina last year). I think the Brazilian one may require advance application.

Not sure about Paraguay, but yes, Argentina is a financial formality upon arrival. Brazil, however, can be a nightmare, depending on what city you live in. The different consulates have different processing times. Vancouver's of late has been absolutely brutal, upwards of 50 business days. Yes, you read that correctly. FIFTY!! I actually had to cancel my vacation to Rio last year because of it. I checked in person at the consulate before booking my flight, and then went in to get it done and they had doubled their processing time since my visit.

cornholio
Feb 15, 2012, 10:08 AM
Not sure about Paraguay, but yes, Argentina is a financial formality upon arrival. Brazil, however, can be a nightmare, depending on what city you live in. The different consulates have different processing times. Vancouver's of late has been absolutely brutal, upwards of 50 business days. Yes, you read that correctly. FIFTY!! I actually had to cancel my vacation to Rio last year because of it. I checked in person at the consulate before booking my flight, and then went in to get it done and they had doubled their processing time since my visit.

Yeah the consulate in Vancouver states minimum of 14 days for Brasil but I know they stretch it out as long as possible, often require bs papers and even deny visas just for the sake of denying them, but that will be changing now. Its their policy to treat Canadians in a similar manner that Brasilians are treated, and they are directed as such in the consulate here. If you are in Brasil and a non Canadian it is even a bigger pain in the ass to get any sort of appointment or contact with a Canadian consulate. I respect them for doing this and standing up for their citizens, unlike some other countries that dont have the balls to slap heavy visa restrictions, match all fees, etc. when the same is done to them. But like I said the visa process is being simplified which will work in both directions. I agree that Argentina is usually just a formality but I have heard them also deny people. Paraguay is a hassle but it is so corrupt that if you know what you are doing then no problem.

Regardless I also have a EU passport so I dont have any issues nor do I require a visa, last time I didnt even have a return ticket when I flew in(though I would certainly not recommend that). It is also theoretically possible for me to obtain a Brazilian passport(mercosur) via marriage so I suppose I am a bit lucky. Thats what you get when you all over the place I suppose.

But anyways yea as the restrictions ease the demand will increase and there lots of Brazilians and other south americans who have come here in the last few years and generate likely decent demand already for better south american connections. If the visa restrictions are ever lifted which is possible this decade then the demand will skyrocket.

Valley_Refugee
Feb 15, 2012, 9:42 PM
But anyways yea as the restrictions ease the demand will increase and there lots of Brazilians and other south americans who have come here in the last few years and generate likely decent demand already for better south american connections. If the visa restrictions are ever lifted which is possible this decade then the demand will skyrocket.

I would imagine, though, that any increase in demand would still not merit a direct flight. It would probably manifest through increased 1 change connecting service...e.g. increased AA service through DFW, UA/CO service thru IAH or IAD, and DL service thru ATL.

Gordon
Feb 15, 2012, 11:11 PM
It would be good if Delta would return the yvr Atl summer route to daily from 3 of 4 times \wk. you would think that a 319 one class configuration would work .

twoNeurons
Feb 16, 2012, 12:11 AM
I would imagine, though, that any increase in demand would still not merit a direct flight. It would probably manifest through increased 1 change connecting service...e.g. increased AA service through DFW, UA/CO service thru IAH or IAD, and DL service thru ATL.

Sometimes, though, it's chicken and egg.

If there's a direct flight, over time demand would grow due to the nature of there being a direct flight. However, no one wants to run a flight until there's enough demand to run a direct flight.

Hawaii's a recent example of this. There weren't that many direct Hawaii flights until a decade or so ago. I believe it was WestJet that pushed demand for that market and now there are lots of competing flights to multiple destinations in Hawaii. It doesn't hurt being Hawaii, mind you.

PaperTiger
Feb 16, 2012, 12:25 AM
Yeah the consulate in Vancouver states minimum of 14 days for Brasil but I know they stretch it out as long as possible, often require bs papers and even deny visas just for the sake of denying them, but that will be changing now. Its their policy to treat Canadians in a similar manner that Brasilians are treated, and they are directed as such in the consulate here. If you are in Brasil and a non Canadian it is even a bigger pain in the ass to get any sort of appointment or contact with a Canadian consulate. I respect them for doing this and standing up for their citizens, unlike some other countries that dont have the balls to slap heavy visa restrictions, match all fees, etc. when the same is done to them. But like I said the visa process is being simplified which will work in both directions. I agree that Argentina is usually just a formality but I have heard them also deny people. Paraguay is a hassle but it is so corrupt that if you know what you are doing then no problem.

Regardless I also have a EU passport so I dont have any issues nor do I require a visa, last time I didnt even have a return ticket when I flew in(though I would certainly not recommend that). It is also theoretically possible for me to obtain a Brazilian passport(mercosur) via marriage so I suppose I am a bit lucky. Thats what you get when you all over the place I suppose.

I don' thtink they stretch it out at all, I just applied for mine in January, 10 weeks before my trip. I got it in 11 days (including the time it was with Canada Post). The reason I applied so early is that my colleague went last year and it took six weeks plus Delivery time. I think it is really just about how any apps come through the door in any given week.

Don't get me wrong, it is a still a pain in the ass, it's just not that consular staff are out to screw you over.

cornholio
Feb 16, 2012, 2:49 AM

Well I didnt mean direct flights, I meant what you said, better connections specifically through Miami. The fact that a transit visa is required(through Brasil and i think other mercosul countries) complicates things for those needing another connection with only a US or Canadian visa etc. but that is why I thought the best bet would be for direct flights YVR to Miami where people can connect.

I don' thtink they stretch it out at all, I just applied for mine in January, 10 weeks before my trip. I got it in 11 days (including the time it was with Canada Post). The reason I applied so early is that my colleague went last year and it took six weeks plus Delivery time. I think it is really just about how any apps come through the door in any given week.

Don't get me wrong, it is a still a pain in the ass, it's just not that consular staff are out to screw you over.

Well as far as I know you got lucky, not a big deal if you applied ahead of time though. But I do know that they often purposefully stretch the process out and are directed to do so, and I know they wont speed it up if you beg them. Their mandated to give Canadians the same treatment Brazilians get, that is the point, even if Canadians still get better treatment here at the Brazilian consulate then Brazilians get at the Canadian ones in Brazil. American citizens have it worse as far as I remember since they have to pay a few hundred dollars just for their application, take a guess why.

Anyways the point is imo the connections are poor and the demand is there(not saying for direct flights especially since its much easier for Brazilians to get a standard 5 year entry visa to the states then to Canada so it only makes sense to have direct connections from the states). Also as the visa restrictions are eased it will have a compounded effect on travel from both countries.

rxp
Feb 21, 2012, 8:41 PM
Virgin Atlantic to introduce new
Airbus on Delhi route
PTI Feb 16, 2012, 04.56PM IST
Virgin Atlantic | Airbus | A-330s

NEW DELHI: With the induction of new fleet, premier British carrier
Virgin Atlantic would introduce new Airbus A-330s on its Delhi route from July and is looking at launching
operations to new destinations in India.

The airline was also investing 100 million pounds to enhance its Upper Class offering on its entire route
network, like an enhanced seat, a futuristic bar, a new 'fine dining' experience, new crockery and in-flight
entertainment system.

The new Upper Class cabin would be launched on Virgin's new Airbus A330-300 aircraft, due for delivery
later this spring.

The Delhi route would be among the first in Virgin's network to get one of these brand new planes from July,
the airline's Chief Commercial Officer Julie Southern told PTI here.

Virgin, which suspended its London-Mumbai service in 2009, is planning to beef up its India operations by
considering options like starting double dailies from Delhi and looking for new destinations, she said.
"We may add to Delhi or look at other destinations. The Delhi-London route is showing strong growth and
flights beyond London also. Increased numbers of passengers are flying to Newark," Southern said.

Virgin would continue to focus on "flying more Indians from Delhi to West coast in USA and to Vancouver, when it is launched in May this year. Extra services were also being planned for San Francisco from London,
a route popular with the Indian population," she said, adding, "We are extending to the East Coast of the US
too.

source Economic Times (http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2012-02-16/news/31067130_1_virgin-atlantic-new-destinations-premier-british-carrier)

SpongeG
Feb 22, 2012, 5:07 AM
do they mean india-west coast flights or flights from west coast to london to than travel on from londont/UK to india though...

trofirhen
Feb 22, 2012, 7:27 AM
do they mean india-west coast flights or flights from west coast to london to than travel on from londont/UK to india though...

Exactly what I was wondering. Is this to be a new, "over the pole", type service, or just a connecting one at LHR, as you say.

deasine
Feb 22, 2012, 10:06 AM
Of course it's connecting in LHR.

trofirhen
Feb 22, 2012, 12:41 PM
Of course it's connecting in LHR.
:previous:

I figured; unless this is for the future with 787s

ACT7
Feb 22, 2012, 2:54 PM
It has to connect in LHR. VS doesn't have rights to fly YVR-DEL direct. No third party airline does.

rxp
Feb 22, 2012, 9:28 PM
It has to connect in LHR. VS doesn't have rights to fly YVR-DEL direct. No third party airline does.

I recall reading about Kingfisher doing this... but plans are apparently on hold..... it would be a huge market to offer this. I am sure BA, AC, Lufthansa etc going east and Air China, CE, Korean, JAL etc going west would take a hit....

but would you need the 787 to pull a non-stop?

deasine
Feb 22, 2012, 9:58 PM
but would you need the 787 to pull a non-stop?

Nope. 777s are fine.

But a non-stop route to YVR won't be coming anytime soon. There hasn't been any direct non-stop North America to India route that has actually profited. American Airlines recently pulled their Chicago-Delhi route despite having at 80 percent (often higher) loads. Jet Airways' North American destinations, Toronto and New York, all make a stop in Brussels. Air India is the only carrier that has a direct route left, but keep in mind, Air India hasn't been making any profits at all on any route and thus is a fully subsidized carrier.

The issue of a route going to India is that all traffic terminates in India. One does not transit through India to other Asian destinations. While there have been many airport infrastructure improvements, the carriers haven't marketed themselves yet as a transit carrier. So relying on one specific market for a nonstop route is a bit risky.

trofirhen
Feb 22, 2012, 10:50 PM
Nope. 777s are fine.

But a non-stop route to YVR won't be coming anytime soon. There hasn't been any direct non-stop North America to India route that has actually profited. American Airlines recently pulled their Chicago-Delhi route despite having at 80 percent (often higher) loads. Jet Airways' North American destinations, Toronto and New York, all make a stop in Brussels. Air India is the only carrier that has a direct route left, but keep in mind, Air India hasn't been making any profits at all on any route and thus is a fully subsidized carrier.

The issue of a route going to India is that all traffic terminates in India. One does not transit through India to other Asian destinations. While there have been many airport infrastructure improvements, the carriers haven't marketed themselves yet as a transit carrier. So relying on one specific market for a nonstop route is a bit risky.
Does this then preclude any major nonstop destination, for flights connecting beyond India from YVR then; particularly, as you say, nonstop YVR - India is a long way off.

Surely there must be a market for ongong traffic to the Middle East and Africa. I harped on Istanbul at one point, but it seemed economically unfeasibe. Oh well, I guess a lot of our travelling future still rests in changing panes at YYZ and LHR. We're still very much a "spoke" with a touch of "hub."

Johnny Aussie
Feb 23, 2012, 7:49 AM
Just read on airlineroute.net...

Air NZ is increasing YVR to 5 weekly next winter.

http://airlineroute.net/2012/02/23/nz-w12update1/

I just flew them MEL-AKL-YVR and SFO-AKL-MEL recently and they are awesome.

The lie flat J class seats on the 744 (in particular) were so comfy. Would fly them again in a heart beat. Now to get Virgin Australia to join Star Alliance!!

deasine
Feb 23, 2012, 10:48 AM
^Agreed. VS needs to be in *A. VS J-Class is getting a bit old and warn out. Thankfully, they are putting new seats in.

Does this then preclude any major nonstop destination, for flights connecting beyond India from YVR then; particularly, as you say, nonstop YVR - India is a long way off.

Surely there must be a market for ongong traffic to the Middle East and Africa. I harped on Istanbul at one point, but it seemed economically unfeasibe. Oh well, I guess a lot of our travelling future still rests in changing panes at YYZ and LHR. We're still very much a "spoke" with a touch of "hub."

Like I said, non-stop at this point of time is not feasible/sustainable and I doubt the 787 would be able to provide significant savings in terms of operation.

ACT7
Feb 23, 2012, 2:43 PM
Air India is the only carrier that has a direct route left, but keep in mind, Air India hasn't been making any profits at all on any route and thus is a fully subsidized carrier.

Air India is also reducing frequency to YYZ and LHR this summer because they're losing money in general. I believe they're going from daily in YYZ to 6 weekly and LHR is being reduced to daily from double daily.

So, I agree, YVR is a looooooooong way away from seeing direct service to India.

incognism
Feb 23, 2012, 8:21 PM
^Agreed. VS needs to be in *A. VS J-Class is getting a bit old and warn out. Thankfully, they are putting new seats in.

Hold on. To clarify:

VS - Virgin Atlantic
VA - Virgin Australia
VX - Virgin America

I could see a case made for VS joining *A, but VA might be a bit less likely considering NZ is in the area.

Air India is also reducing frequency to YYZ and LHR this summer because they're losing money in general. I believe they're going from daily in YYZ to 6 weekly and LHR is being reduced to daily from double daily.

So, I agree, YVR is a looooooooong way away from seeing direct service to India.

I can't see India-INTL routes making that much money. Long-haul, price sensitive/low income pax, lack of premium cabin demand, dearth of onward connections.

Johnny Aussie
Feb 23, 2012, 10:46 PM
^
I did mean Virgin Australia.

There is a good chance VA/DJ will join * Alliance.

They now have strong alliances with NZ and SQ.

The domestic Australia market has been Star Alliance-less since the collapse of Ansett almost exactly 10 years ago.

Air NZ and Virgin Australia only "compete" trans Tasman but their alliance is definitely very much strategic and really hard to use the term competitive.

Not to scuttle this thread anymore but Australia domestic market is ripe for the taking right now so hopefully sooner than later... I certainly know one Canadian/Aussie who would be chuffed!

Hot Rod
Feb 28, 2012, 1:31 AM
yes, Star needs to be on EVERY continent!!

trofirhen
Feb 28, 2012, 2:10 AM
^
I did mean Virgin Australia.

There is a good chance VA/DJ will join * Alliance.

They now have strong alliances with NZ and SQ.

The domestic Australia market has been Star Alliance-less since the collapse of Ansett almost exactly 10 years ago.

Air NZ and Virgin Australia only "compete" trans Tasman but their alliance is definitely very much strategic and really hard to use the term competitive.

Not to scuttle this thread anymore but Australia domestic market is ripe for the taking right now so hopefully sooner than later... I certainly know one Canadian/Aussie who would be chuffed!
I'd like to see flights from YVR to Melbourne and maybe even Brisbane, though I doubt that'll happen for many moons, if ever.

Johnny Aussie
Mar 2, 2012, 11:02 AM
Sunwing increasing flights this summer.

Same as summer 2011:
YYZ 3 weekly (MON, WED, SUN)
CUN 1 weekly (SUN)
PVR 1 weekly (FRI) via YEG

New for summer 2012:
SNU 1 weekly (WED)
VRA 1 weekly (TUE)
SJD 1 weekly (MON)

So they go from 5 weekly to 8 weekly.

They will also have a weekly YEG-YYC-CUN on Saturdays.

Johnny Aussie
Mar 2, 2012, 11:03 AM
I'd like to see flights from YVR to Melbourne and maybe even Brisbane, though I doubt that'll happen for many moons, if ever.

I'd be the first one on a MEL-YVR nonstop!

whatnext
Mar 2, 2012, 3:40 PM

Air Canada had flights to Melbourne from YVR, but they ended just after 9/11.

trofirhen
Mar 2, 2012, 7:33 PM
Air Canada had flights to Melbourne from YVR, but they ended just after 9/11.
Do you think the market might soon be OK to recommence that service? Oh, and was it nonstop, or one-stop?

Johnny Aussie
Mar 2, 2012, 8:42 PM
^The MEL flight originated in YYZ and was via HNL. The routings were YVR-HNL-SYD and YYZ-HNL-MEL. Anybody traveling from YVR to MEL changed planes in HNL. So like I said if there ever is to be s nonstop MEL-YVR I'd be passenger #1... until then it's AC via SYD or NZ via AKL... Both excellent options though.

I would be skeptical of a nonstop to Melbourne in the next 5 years... Who knows!

whatnext
Mar 5, 2012, 7:34 AM
Air Canada has confirmed YVR will be one of the initial three airports to see their 787's:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/air-canadas-dreamliners-to-fly-from-seven-canadian-cities/article2358591/

trofirhen
Mar 5, 2012, 1:29 PM
Air Canada has confirmed YVR will be one of the initial three airports to see their 787's:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/air-canadas-dreamliners-to-fly-from-seven-canadian-cities/article2358591/

I wonder what routes will use 787s out of YVR.

Gordon
Mar 5, 2012, 3:16 PM
I would suspect any of the Asian routes that currently use the 767 A330s will be the first YvR routes to see the 787s

Does anyone think AC will ever bing the YVR Tokyo Haneda route back?

ACT7
Mar 5, 2012, 3:17 PM

I wonder what routes will use 787s out of YVR.
I would imagine that it will be replacement routes for now. I don't think YVR will see new 787 routes with the first deliveries. India and even China will be launched out of YYZ first, guaranteed.

twoNeurons
Mar 5, 2012, 3:25 PM
I would suspect any of the Asian routes that currently use the 767 A330s will be the first YvR routes to see the 787s

Does anyone think AC will ever bing the YVR Tokyo Haneda route back?

Definitely will bring that route back when they get more favorable landing slots. The timing is only good on the return portion of the flight.

Johnny Aussie
Mar 5, 2012, 8:41 PM
I am so surprised at this news release! Imagine YYZ, YVR and YUL being the first bases seeing the AC 787. Wow, groundbreaking news!
And I like his choice of words of "envisage" when it comes to further developments.... Duh

On that note I do see HND, CAN, possibly KIX and DEL down the road from YVR.

twoNeurons
Mar 5, 2012, 9:18 PM
I am so surprised at this news release! Imagine YYZ, YVR and YUL being the first bases seeing the AC 787. Wow, groundbreaking news!
And I like his choice of words of "envisage" when it comes to further developments.... Duh

On that note I do see HND, CAN, possibly KIX and DEL down the road from YVR.

In other news, Apple will be releasing a new iPad.

trofirhen
Mar 5, 2012, 10:10 PM
My sales contact at YVR said he's "bullish" about getting ISTANBUL as a destination from YVR.

Turkish has Toronto-Istanbul already, even though there is no bilateral between Turkey and Canada.

However, Turkish is Star Alliance, so that might help. If YVR got an over-the-pole to Istanbul, it could be our gateway to the near Mid-East, and everything from Cairo to Jo'burg.

Worth fighting for. :twoguns:

jsbertram
Mar 6, 2012, 12:15 AM
Toronto papers have been gushing over the Dreamliner.

Dreamliner 787 jet from Boeing shows off its assets to media on flight from Toronto to Boston
http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1140767--dreamliner-787-jet-from-boeing-shows-off-its-assets-to-media-on-flight-from-toronto-to-boston

The Star article also has the Great Circle diagram of the Dreamliner's range from Toronto:

http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/0e/70/360b8b764a87a1b23652e2c2a032.jpg

Who wants to do a similar Great Circle diagram centered on Vancouver?

s211
Mar 6, 2012, 12:17 AM
Toronto papers have been gushing over the Dreamliner.

Dreamliner 787 jet from Boeing shows off its assets to media on flight from Toronto to Boston
http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1140767--dreamliner-787-jet-from-boeing-shows-off-its-assets-to-media-on-flight-from-toronto-to-boston

The Star article also has the Great Circle diagram of the Dreamliner's range from Toronto:

Well, I'll be jiggered. Toronto really IS the centre of the universe...

incognism
Mar 6, 2012, 12:50 AM

Not as detailed, but based on a max range of 8200 nautical miles:

Flat view (http://www.gcmap.com/map?P=&R=8200nm%40YVR%0d%0a&MS=wls&MR=1800&MX=720x360&PM=*&PC=%23ff0000&RC=%23000080)
Globe view (http://www.gcmap.com/map?P=&R=8200nm%40YVR%0d%0a&MS=wls&MP=azeqi&MX=540x540&PM=*&PC=%23ff0000&RC=%23000080)

Hourglass
Mar 6, 2012, 2:28 AM

There is one already. From the National Post: http://business.financialpost.com/2012/03/02/at-air-canadas-75th-distant-dream-on-display/

http://financialpostbusiness.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/fp0303-787-range1.jpg?w=372&h=943

To be fair, S211, the Star IS a Toronto newspaper...

Johnny Aussie
Mar 6, 2012, 7:16 AM
^ Well, since AC is getting the 800s, looks like non-stop YVR-MEL would be stretched to the limit, darn it! :P

All the other plausibilities should easily be in range.

PaperTiger
Mar 6, 2012, 4:59 PM
So really our only geopgraphic advantage over YYZ is SE Asia and Aus / NZ.

That's ... concerning.

deasine
Mar 6, 2012, 6:16 PM

That's ... concerning.

For the most part, YYZ has always been the more accessible airport. Already with the 777s, the ranges can reach many of the destinations indicated in the maps. What makes the 787 different than other planes (aside from passenger experience improvements) is how it can reduce costs for airlines to run to destinations that would otherwise not be profitable with the use of 777s.

I would think the 787s would be able to reach SIN from YVR but it looks like that is barely the case (too close for comfort?). Then again, for routes to SIN, it probably wouldn't make sense to run direct routes anyway given that even competition doesn't have direct routes (only SQ runs direct, and in a J-Class configuration only to EWR [or was it JFK?] and LAX).

Interesting how BOM (Mumbai) is a destination that is considered. Perhaps this hints to increasing partnerships with Jet Airways (as they currently partner with).

trofirhen
Mar 6, 2012, 11:33 PM

That's ... concerning.

It is indeed. Like it or not, esp now that most planes will soon be able to overfly Vancouver on Key Pacific routes (as the already are starting to) we have to be content that YVR will never be a real hub.

What irks me especially, though is that, for example, to get to Europe, we always have to change at LHR, FRA, or AMS, but more likely at YYZ (to help pay for their $$$mungo airport, perhaps?) and seem "stuck" at getting any more direct European flights at the moment.

If YVR were somehow, magically, a "mid-way" point, > and YYZ is certainly that, even being smaller than Toronto, YVR would have better overseas connections. But that's in a different world, another planet.

We're out on a limb, as it were, much of it geography-based, and we have to forget any plans at being a hub.

Nevertheless, it's interesting to note that the feds ARE dragging their feet, deliberately it might seem, to give YYZ the advantage.

As an example, a high-level sales contact at YVR told me that not only were there several underestimated potential routes out of YVR, but also that he and his team were "bullish" about getting Istanbul as a destination, as it would be very convenient for access to not only Turkey and the Middle East, but also everything from Cairo to Cape Town.
Turkish Airlines is rapidly expanding, and is Star-Alliance. However there is no bilateral Canada-Turkey air agreement in place....... yet...

......... Despite that, Turkish was awarded a YYZ - Istanbul route not too long back. By whom? Ottawa? Or not?

Does that say anything, or am I just getting paranoid a little bit about this "syndrome?" Feedback welcome.

MalcolmTucker
Mar 7, 2012, 12:27 AM
......... Despite that, Turkish was awarded a YYZ - Istanbul route not too long back. By whom? Ottawa?

Would guess it is covered by European open skies if there is no bilateral listed.

trofirhen
Mar 7, 2012, 1:19 AM
Would guess it is covered by European open skies if there is no bilateral listed.
As Turkey is not an EU member state, the EU - Canada Open skies agreement would not apply here. The United States is forging ahead with numerous bilaterals. Canada drags its ass.

eemy
Mar 7, 2012, 3:04 PM
To answer your question, you're being paranoid. Apparently Turkish Airlines is free to choose their own routing. http://www.international.gc.ca/trade-agreements-accords-commerciaux/agr-acc/facts-air-eclair.aspx?view=d

It hardly seems surprising that they would choose Toronto over Vancouver in any case.

ACT7
Mar 7, 2012, 3:43 PM
To answer your question, you're being paranoid. Apparently Turkish Airlines is free to choose their own routing. http://www.international.gc.ca/trade-agreements-accords-commerciaux/agr-acc/facts-air-eclair.aspx?view=d

It hardly seems surprising that they would choose Toronto over Vancouver in any case.
I agree - I don't think it's some government conspiracy that TK chose YYZ as their Canadian destination. YVR is not really a true *A hub in a global sense so O&D traffic between YVR and IST would not be enough to sustain that route. Outbound traffic might have reasonable, low yield demand but what about the return flight? Where would all those passengers who land at YVR go that they couldn't get to from LAX, ORD, YYZ, JFK, IAD?

Valley_Refugee
Mar 7, 2012, 6:34 PM
It is indeed. Like it or not, esp now that most planes will soon be able to overfly Vancouver on Key Pacific routes (as the already are starting to) we have to be content that YVR will never be a real hub.

What irks me especially, though is that, for example, to get to Europe, we always have to change at LHR, FRA, or AMS, but more likely at YYZ (to help pay for their $$$mungo airport, perhaps?) and seem "stuck" at getting any more direct European flights at the moment.

If YVR were somehow, magically, a "mid-way" point, > and YYZ is certainly that, even being smaller than Toronto, YVR would have better overseas connections. But that's in a different world, another planet.

We're out on a limb, as it were, much of it geography-based, and we have to forget any plans at being a hub.

Nevertheless, it's interesting to note that the feds ARE dragging their feet, deliberately it might seem, to give YYZ the advantage.

As an example, a high-level sales contact at YVR told me that not only were there several underestimated potential routes out of YVR, but also that he and his team were "bullish" about getting Istanbul as a destination, as it would be very convenient for access to not only Turkey and the Middle East, but also everything from Cairo to Cape Town.
Turkish Airlines is rapidly expanding, and is Star-Alliance. However there is no bilateral Canada-Turkey air agreement in place....... yet...

......... Despite that, Turkish was awarded a YYZ - Istanbul route not too long back. By whom? Ottawa? Or not?

Does that say anything, or am I just getting paranoid a little bit about this "syndrome?" Feedback welcome.

No, not "getting" paranoid. It's nothing you haven't already hammered home in your previous posts. YVR isn't a real hub, it's a small, unimportant city, etc...we get it ;)

Gordon
Mar 7, 2012, 9:10 PM
Vancouver is a main Asian Gateway. Air Canada refers to yvr as 0ne of it's 3 main Canadian Hubs. Most hubs are major cities with large airline bases( LaX, DFW, ORD) Alaska\Horizon make makes Sea tac a hub.

trofirhen
Mar 7, 2012, 9:32 PM

Thank you for that, and yes, you're right. :)

whatnext
Mar 12, 2012, 10:44 PM
The strong winds today had jets using the cross runway for take-offs, which doesn't happen very often any more.

Johnny Aussie
Mar 12, 2012, 11:19 PM
http://www.yvr.ca/Libraries/Facts_and_Stats/January_2012_Traffic_Update.sflb.ashx

Decent January 2012

Every sector up over Jan 2011.

Overall up 5.6%
Domestic up 5.7%
Transborder up 5.7% (I thought Bellingham was stealing all of YVR's transborder market?)
Asia Pacific up 7.6%
Europe up 1.7%
Other international up 1.0%

incognism
Mar 13, 2012, 12:31 AM
AC has applied to the DOT for one of the four additional Beyond-Perimeter routes being granted to/from DCA. They are submitting for YVR-DCA.

Competition includes:

Jetblue: San Juan, PR and Austin
Southwest: Austin
Alaska: Portland, San Diego
Frontier: Colorado Springs
Virgin America: San Francisco

deasine
Mar 13, 2012, 12:58 AM
AC has applied to the DOT for one of the four additional Beyond-Perimeter routes being granted to/from DCA. They are submitting for YVR-DCA.

Score. I hope they get it. For one, we would gain one more connection to the East Coast, but for two, flying directly into DCA is much more convenient than IAD.

Johnny Aussie
Mar 13, 2012, 1:16 AM

Wow, that is interesting.

By going into DCA vs IAD, depending on flight times of course, they would miss out on UA's huge hub there though. I wonder if YVR will see BOS or MIA again on AC as well.

Proposed schedule:

YVR-DCA 1335-2135 A319
DCA-YVR 0700-0945 A319

Johnny Aussie
Mar 13, 2012, 8:56 PM
Comparison to last summer.

MSP
Increasing equipment to 2 daily M90s (160 pax) + 1 daily 320 (148 pax) (this is an increase from 2 daily 320s and 1 daily 319 (126 pax)).
However, Sat/Sun shows a 757 (180 pax) replacing one of the M90s.

SLC
For the first time in years, mainline is returning to SLC.
Both flights Sat/Sun are going to be A319, with CR9 (76 pax) still Mon-Fri.

Valley_Refugee
Mar 13, 2012, 11:22 PM

By going into DCA vs IAD, depending on flight times of course, they would miss out on UA's huge hub there though. I wonder if YVR will see BOS or MIA again on AC as well.

Proposed schedule:

YVR-DCA 1335-2135 A319
DCA-YVR 0700-0945 A319

Yeah, this is really interesting...anyone know why AC doesn't just fly YVR-IAD? Not enough slots? At least DCA is a US Airways focus city, so there are codeshare possibilities available, I suppose.

casper
Mar 14, 2012, 2:32 AM

Proposed schedule:

YVR-DCA 1335-2135 A319
DCA-YVR 0700-0945 A319

Timing looks to be good for traffic connecting with some of the flights to Asia.

Johnny Aussie
Mar 14, 2012, 3:05 AM
^
Without a doubt, that is part of their marketing strategy timing that flight around the Asia flights.

Another small news tidbit...

Westjet further boosting transborder capacity.

Both daily LAX flights being upgauged from 73W to 73H this summer. Wouldn't be surprised to see a 3rd frequency on this route.

twoNeurons
Mar 14, 2012, 7:04 AM
Interesting. As I understand it, DCA is used more for domestic flights. It's right downtown Washington DC.

So, they're targeting Americans coming to Vancouver and Americans going to Asia.

Vancouver has some of the best connections to China on the West Coast. There has gotta be a LOT of political traffic back and forth between China and USA and there will be for the foreseeable future.

Also, Air Canada already flies there (http://www.mwaa.com/reagan/1259.htm) (from Toronto, i assume) so this is a logical place to fly to.

Just to reiterate, this route will do less to serve Europebound Vancouverites who will continue to be shuttled through Toronto and more for Asiabound business class pax. That's not a bad thing for YVR. It strengthens its position as an Asian hub. Consider that if they flew to the major international hub, it could siphon some Canadian pax and it would give pax more options to fly with another Star Alliance partner, as opposed to this flight that is looking to GAIN marketshare.

Smart Move, in my books.

Johnny Aussie
Mar 14, 2012, 8:56 PM
US Airways adding an extra flight Saturdays and Sundays in June. Flights will be operated by CR9. This will most likely carry into the rest of the summer scheds. Just not loaded yet.

Also, AA just added their third daily to DFW for the summer scheds. It looked like they were only going to stay at 2 daily, but back to their normal summer sched now.

trofirhen
Mar 14, 2012, 10:52 PM
Well, little by little, good ol' YVR is increasing in importance (# and destinations of flights) even if it never becomes a major hub ... (except for trans-Pacific / Asia flights)

SpongeG
Mar 19, 2012, 10:36 PM
Air Canada union blocks entrance to YVR

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ImageShrinker?http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20120319/470_bc_air_canada_120319.jpg,470,264
Members of the Air Canada machinsts' union and recently laid off Aveos employees picket at the Vancouver International Airport. March 19, 2012. (CTV)

By: ctvbc.ca
Date: Monday Mar. 19, 2012 1:03 PM PT

Dozens of travellers were forced to lug their bags to the Vancouver International Airport on foot Monday to get past a blockade that briefly stopped cars from approaching the terminal.

For about 15 minutes, members of Air Canada's machinists union picketed with recently laid off Aveos employees on the road leading up to the arrivals and departures area.

Aveos, a private company that provides aircraft maintenance for Air Canada, closed its Vancouver plant suddenly on Sunday as it announced 2,400 layoffs across Canada.

A number of irate passengers questioned the workers' methods, arguing they wouldn't curry favour by inconveniencing paying air travellers, but BC Federation of Labour president Jim Sinclair urged them to consider the bigger picture.

"They might have been inconvenienced for one day for whatever reason, but… when [employees] win wage increases, when they win dental plans and pension plans, then it's a better country for all of us," Sinclair said.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120319/bc_air_canada_union_blockade_120319/20120319/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

Yume-sama
Mar 20, 2012, 12:20 AM
And dozens of more people just had their own "Air Canada, never again!" moment~

Metro-One
Mar 20, 2012, 3:06 AM
Just disgusting, nothing like abruptly shutting out all of your employees! And oh boy, now our national airliner will be serviced overseas (largely in China I hear) what bunch of turds. I hope all the top managers of that company forwent all their bonuses over the past year or so to offset their financial troubles, and cut down their own salaries (but hey, what are the chances of that?)

casper
Mar 21, 2012, 4:52 AM
Just disgusting, nothing like abruptly shutting out all of your employees! And oh boy, now our national airliner will be serviced overseas (largely in China I hear) what bunch of turds. I hope all the top managers of that company forwent all their bonuses over the past year or so to offset their financial troubles, and cut down their own salaries (but hey, what are the chances of that?)

The key think that keeps getting missed is Aveos was sold off from Air Canada a few years ago. Air Canada is simply a customer of Aveos now. Air Canada claims that the only maintenance work they have done in China is on four engines that they own and have leased to other airlines (not even used on their fleet) http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/media/facts/industry/maintenance.html#faq:9-10-*.

whatnext
Mar 21, 2012, 5:18 AM
The key think that keeps getting missed is Aveos was sold off from Air Canada a few years ago. Air Canada is simply a customer of Aveos now. Air Canada claims that the only maintenance work they have done in China is on four engines that they own and have leased to other airlines (not even used on their fleet) http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/media/facts/industry/maintenance.html#faq:9-10-*.

Well, yeah, except Aveos owns 80% of Aeroman in El Salvador which does the same work. Where do you bet Air Canada is going to get their planes serviced now?

What's more, it sounds as though Air Canada may have provoked this closure by deliberately deferring maintenance that was due to be performed at Aveos:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/aveos-to-liquidate-assets-rejects-air-canada-aid-offer/article2375435/

Quite shameful really.

casper
Mar 21, 2012, 5:36 AM
Well, yeah, except Aveos owns 80% of Aeroman in El Salvador which does the same work. Where do you bet Air Canada is going to get their planes serviced now?

What's more, it sounds as though Air Canada may have provoked this closure by deliberately deferring maintenance that was due to be performed at Aveos:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/aveos-to-liquidate-assets-rejects-air-canada-aid-offer/article2375435/

Quite shameful really.

I am also disappointed to see 2,000+ highly skilled and highly payed jobs leave the country. Hopefully a new service company comes out of the ashes of Avios. If Air Canada wanted out of their contract with Avios I would not put it past them to play hard ball.

That said, it is a regulated industry, and Air Canada has to follow Transport Canada approved maintenance plans or the planes get grounded. There are likely a couple of Air Canada planes half taken apart that will be stuck in limbo for a while. These are very expensive aircraft to have sitting around.

In this case I would jump first at blaming the management at Avios. They are the ones that should be able to manage cash flow and should be trying to go after additional business other than Air Canada.

Hot Rod
Mar 21, 2012, 6:31 AM
Yeah, this is really interesting...anyone know why AC doesn't just fly YVR-IAD? Not enough slots? At least DCA is a US Airways focus city, so there are codeshare possibilities available, I suppose.

I think United runs the YVR-IAD route, or once did recently.

whatnext
Mar 21, 2012, 3:10 PM
..In this case I would jump first at blaming the management at Avios. They are the ones that should be able to manage cash flow and should be trying to go after additional business other than Air Canada.

Hard to get new business when Canada's petrodollar now adds so much to the cost. ACTS (Aveos when it was AC owned) used to do maintenance in YVR for Delta, but the dollar was worth around 65 cents then.

MalcolmTucker
Mar 21, 2012, 3:38 PM
^ You know, they could just price their service and wages in USD if they are really that concerned. Or force through a wage cut to lower the cost base back to a 0.65 dollar. Lowering the dollar is no different than a wage cut applied to the economy as a whole.

Metro-One
Mar 21, 2012, 3:42 PM
:previous:of course such wage cuts would begin at the top, right? With the elimination of bonuses given the financial concern, right? Because it seems if there are any salaries that can be cut without a significant loss of luxury / living standard it is the top. And that way the people on the bottom remain valuable consumers for our economy as well!

Another fact being missed is that when this portion of Air Canada became separate Air Canada was suppose to use them until at least 2014 (or something along those lines I read).

MalcolmTucker
Mar 21, 2012, 3:58 PM
:previous:of course such wage cuts would begin at the top, right? With the elimination of bonuses given the financial concern, right? Because it seems if there are any salaries that can be cut without a significant loss of luxury / living standard it is the top. And that way the people on the bottom remain valuable consumers for our economy as well!

Another fact being missed is that when this portion of Air Canada became separate Air Canada was suppose to use them until at least 2014 (or something along those lines I read).
Yeah, wage cuts would have to be on all employees. The whole point is to reduce everyone's standard of living. Having a lower dollar also lowers everyone's standard of living. I doubt employees would like working for much less while the rest of the economy continues at the current wage rate, and most would leave for industries that are profitable while paying them high wages.

It is just a normal economy at work, shifting resources to more productive uses.

deasine
Mar 21, 2012, 4:19 PM
I'm not going to comment too much on the top executive positions as I also feel they are making too much money, but keep in mind, the last quarterly results from AC, the reason it wasn't profitting was because of staff wages and pensions, not based on load factors and the performance of the carrier. It's a fact that legacy carriers have grown with too much staff and this isn't only limited to Air Canada, but to other international legacy carriers: AF has the highest CASK per passenger, bankruptcy protection restructuring with AA (DL+NW and UA+CO have consolidated and have gone through their own restructuring and have also declared Chapter 11 before), LH owns OS, LX, SN and have each been consolidated and each have gone through route optimization to compliment the LH network, etc.

Outsourcing is just a fact of the industry today.

Johnny Aussie
Mar 24, 2012, 3:53 AM
Cannot forget about the local little guys!! Keeping the South Terminal hopping....

Pacific Coastal adding a bit of frequencies/capacity this summer.

Adding 21 weekly frequencies to its summer schedules compared to 2011.

In addition, will be increasing the flying of their Shorts 360s and the Saabs.

Good to see some confidence in the local BC market.

Johnny Aussie
Mar 28, 2012, 8:44 AM
Taking into account 3.6% of these increases are due to Feb being a leap-year, pretty healthy results.

Continuing on from January's growth, every sector up over Feb 2011...

Overall up 6.9% (YTD up 6.2%)

Domestic up 7.6% (YTD up 6.6%)

Transborder up 6.9% (YTD 6.3%) (Bellingham continues to wipe out YVR's transborder market!)

Asia Pacific up 5.0% (YTD up 6.4%)

Europe up 6.8% (YTD up 4.1%)

Other International up 6.1% (YTD 3.4%)

Johnny Aussie
Mar 30, 2012, 12:31 PM
22 June - 10 Sep China Eastern is increasing YVR - PVG to 11 weekly from daily. All flights to be operated by A330-200.

See link for more detail and schedule info.

http://airlineroute.net/2012/03/30/mu-yvr-s12

Johnny Aussie
Apr 2, 2012, 4:54 AM
Greetings from BKK

UA just completely overhauled its summer 2012 operations at YVR.

A brief summary:

ORD 5 daily - 2 739 and 3 320. Also 1 757 rotation on Sat/Sun.

IAH 3 daily (2 on Mon Tue) - 1 739 and 2 738. Slight variance on weekends.

DEN 3 daily - 2 320 and 1 CR7. Slight variance on weekends.

SFO 5 daily all mainline Mon-Fri 4 319 and 1 738. Slight variance on weekends including a couple of Express flights and 1 weekly 757.

EWR upgauged from 73G to daily 320 (738 on Sat)

LAX remains at a single daily CR7.

Overall, this is quite a significant increase on weekly capacity compared to 2011. Basically 16 mainly per day plus 2 UA Express.

deasine
Apr 2, 2012, 7:54 AM
Greetings from BKK

UA just completely overhauled its summer 2012 operations at YVR.

A brief summary:

ORD 5 daily - 2 739 and 3 320. Also 1 757 rotation on Sat/Sun.

IAH 3 daily (2 on Mon Tue) - 1 739 and 2 738. Slight variance on weekends.

DEN 3 daily - 2 320 and 1 CR7. Slight variance on weekends.

SFO 5 daily all mainline Mon-Fri 4 319 and 1 738. Slight variance on weekends including a couple of Express flights and 1 weekly 757.

EWR upgauged from 73G to daily 320 (738 on Sat)

LAX remains at a single daily CR7.

Overall, this is quite a significant increase on weekly capacity compared to 2011. Basically 16 mainly per day plus 2 UA Express.

I thought AC operated the flights to EWR...

Johnny Aussie
Apr 2, 2012, 10:53 AM
^ AC operates daily year-round. United (formerly CO) operates daily seasonal summer service.

trofirhen
Apr 2, 2012, 2:09 PM
I looked at the sites of all the airlines that fly YVR-LAX nonstop; Air Canada, Delta, Alaska, West Jet, and United.

Each provides four (4) nonstops per day. X5 = 20 nonstops per day Between Vancouver and LA. Not bad. Not bad at all.

SpongeG
Apr 2, 2012, 7:31 PM
all those movie stars swishing back and forth to red carpet events in LA while they have to slug it out in the frozen north of canada making their meal pay in hollywood north

trofirhen
Apr 2, 2012, 7:54 PM
all those movie stars swishing back and forth to red carpet events in LA while they have to slug it out in the frozen north of canada making their meal pay in hollywood north
That MUST be it !!! ;)

s211
Apr 2, 2012, 8:39 PM

Or their mules going back and forth.

incognism
Apr 2, 2012, 10:50 PM
I looked at the sites of all the airlines that fly YVR-LAX nonstop; Air Canada, Delta, Alaska, West Jet, and United.

Each provides four (4) nonstops per day. X5 = 20 nonstops per day Between Vancouver and LA. Not bad. Not bad at all.

??? Ever heard of codeshares?

AS has 4X daily (codeshared by AA & DL)
WS has 2X daily (codeshared by AA)
AC has 4X daily (codeshared by UA)
UA has 1X daily (codeshared by AC) - seasonal, as mentioned by Johnny Aussie upthread

11 daily, not 20.