PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136

YYCspotter
Feb 15, 2013, 6:18 PM
YYC-NRT is going daily from May 1st

http://www.thestar.com/life/travel/2012/11/29/air_canada_makes_huge_push_into_asia.html

ACT7
Feb 15, 2013, 9:22 PM
YYC-NRT is going daily from May 1st

http://www.thestar.com/life/travel/2012/11/29/air_canada_makes_huge_push_into_asia.html
I think this is fairly old news now, no? Or was there something new in that article?

Bigtime
Feb 15, 2013, 9:44 PM
Yeah that is old news, the article is from November 2012.

Gordon
Feb 15, 2013, 9:57 PM
I think the Calgary Tokyo flight originates in Toronto

Bigtime
Feb 15, 2013, 10:25 PM
I think the Calgary Tokyo flight originates in Toronto

Originally it did, but not anymore.

trofirhen
Feb 16, 2013, 12:27 PM
I don't believe there is an actual YVR Destinations Fantasy thread, so please, permit me this idea.

It was mentioned in a link some posts back that - from a newspaper link - that YVR would remain (if it works at it) the major Canadian hub for East Asia flights, which seems rather normal.

In the article, it mentioned possible connections from YVR to South America, which werre - quite realistically - refuted, as AC would not want to relinquish its Toronto hub for that, and that other airlines going on from East Asia to South America via YVR (which would normally be a shorter route than from YYZ) would need fifth freedoms, or a new bilateral for South American carriers. Fine. Point accepted. I stand corrected.

But imagine, if you will ... daily flights, largely geared to business travellers (presumably from East Asia) from YVR to Caracas (oil) and Sao Paolo (banking / corporate centre of S. America)

Sure, go ahead and laugh. It's unlikely, but not impossible. And such a hub that would turn Vancouver into!

ACT7
Feb 16, 2013, 3:28 PM
I don't believe there is an actual YVR Destinations Fantasy thread, so please, permit me this idea.

It was mentioned in a link some posts back that - from a newspaper link - that YVR would remain (if it works at it) the major Canadian hub for East Asia flights, which seems rather normal.

In the article, it mentioned possible connections from YVR to South America, which werre - quite realistically - refuted, as AC would not want to relinquish its Toronto hub for that, and that other airlines going on from Ast Asia to South America via YVR (which would normally be a shorter route than from YYZ) would need fifth freedoms, or a new bilateral for South American carriers. Fine. Point accepted. I stand corrected.

But imagine, if you will ... daily flights, largely geared to business travellers (presumably from East Asia) from YVR to Caracas (oil) and Sao Paolo (banking / corporate centre of S. America)

Sure, go ahead and laugh. It's unlikely, but not impossible. And such a hub that would turn Vancouver into!
Doesn't hurt to dream big I guess...

trofirhen
Feb 16, 2013, 3:55 PM
Doesn't hurt to dream big I guess...
Excactly. Thank you, ACT7. it never hurts to dream. And dreams sometimes become reality (though it can take a while, of course;))

trofirhen
Feb 16, 2013, 4:58 PM
from East Asia to South America via YVR (which would normally be a shorter route than from YYZ) [/SIZE]would need fifth freedoms, or a new bilateral for South American carriers. Fine. Point accepted. I stand corrected.

I blew it again; via YVR is longer -- only just. Excuse me.
I guess Vancouver will be the hub that never was!

Valley_Refugee
Feb 16, 2013, 9:08 PM
I guess Vancouver will be the hub that never was!

I've said it once and I'll say it again, Vancouver has excellent international service for a metropolitan area of 2.5-3M, and one which is not a major commercial centre at that. Your hyperbole can get very grating.

COPA has been in major expansion mode lately. It's business model is largely based on connections from one point in the Americas to another, not Panama O&D. Perhaps given it's recent marriage with Star, it is conceivable we could see a PTY-YVR flight in the medium term. Other flights to Latin America are a pipe dream right now. Even LAX and SFO support few, if any, flights beyond Central America.

trofirhen
Feb 16, 2013, 11:39 PM
I've said it once and I'll say it again, Vancouver has excellent international service for a metropolitan area of 2.5-3M, and one which is not a major commercial centre at that. Your hyperbole can get very grating.

COPA has been in major expansion mode lately. It's business model is largely based on connections from one point in the Americas to another, not Panama O&D. Perhaps given it's recent marriage with Star, it is conceivable we could see a PTY-YVR flight in the medium term. Other flights to Latin America are a pipe dream right now. Even LAX and SFO support few, if any, flights beyond Central America.
Thank you for the feedback, and sorry about the hyberbole. I guess I'm speaking from more a wishful-thinking state, than a pragmatic, empirically-reasoned one.
Very interesting that LAX has only almost nothing beyond, as in the example with Panama City.
Throughout Canada - graphically! - and even in the united States, good connections to South America seem better in the East. There is now even a nonstop Sao Paulo flight to Charlotte, NC; not exactly the smallish city where you'd expect such.

(No need to mention NYC, Miami, Atlanta or Houston , Toronto......)

Relating size and economy to market demand, as you state, and using Charlotte as an example of a smaller centre but with proportionally outsized air connections: It's a major banking centre (as everone here knows) so wields proportionally more power than the average city of its size, (Frankfurt being just another on its roster, London, too, I believe, and of course Toronto.)

If and when Vancouver goes from Beta+ to Alpha-, things may look a bit different around here, destination-wise, although admittedly we're not really placed to be a world hub, except for East Asia. The only other "hub" aspect for YVR I cab see more in the near future is the Canadian hub for Oceania, Not only Sydney and Auckland, but Melbourne and maybe Brisbane, if it pays. There's a lot of ocean to the west south of YVR.

Nevertheless wouldn' it be great to get Singapore back?!

I have to concede that any real major route development out of YVR is probably a long way away and taking statistical reality into account is the larger part of this.

(By the way, just that mention of a YVR-PTY run was a surprise!)

Valley_Refugee
Feb 17, 2013, 4:36 AM
There is now even a nonstop Sao Paulo flight to Charlotte, NC; not exactly the smallish city where you'd expect such.

Please. Charlotte is a major hub for US Airways, so it has way more service than it merits as a standalone city. That's the way the US air travel system works. There is probably little or modest O&D b/w Charlotte and Sao Paulo. I doubt this route will survive the merger with American, which has ample service to Latin America from DFW and Miami.

Hourglass
Feb 17, 2013, 8:12 AM
^^

Charlotte's a pretty major banking center in the US, so the São Paulo route could still stay post-merger.

Anyway, there have been rumors floating around about CX maybe starting a Latin America route via YVR. I think the big advantage potentially for any Asian-latin American routes via YVR would be avoiding US border security...

Valley_Refugee
Mar 1, 2013, 5:50 AM
Sichuan Airlines is upping Chengdu/Shenyang service to 4x weekly in the summer:

http://airlineroute.net/2013/03/01/3u-yvr-jun13/

Johnny Aussie
Mar 1, 2013, 8:05 AM
Sichuan Airlines is upping Chengdu/Shenyang service to 4x weekly in the summer:

http://airlineroute.net/2013/03/01/3u-yvr-jun13/

Ha ha I just logged in to post that.

China capacity ex YVR is just exploding next summer.

As for Asia, just waiting to see if EVA adds their 4th frequency as they always seem to be the last to finalise summer scheds. Normally they obtain extra-bilateral authority.

Sichuan just launched their inaugural flight to/from Melbourne yesterday.

trofirhen
Mar 1, 2013, 8:18 AM

I wonder if that means there will be an increase in connecting flights to elsewhere in N. America from Vancouver? Seems logical that there might be.

Hourglass
Mar 1, 2013, 8:39 AM
Ha ha I just logged in to post that.

As for Asia, just waiting to see if EVA adds their 4th frequency as they always seem to be the last to finalise summer scheds. Normally they obtain extra-bilateral authority.

Sichuan just launched their inaugural flight to/from Melbourne yesterday.

Cue more comments about China and the price of Vancouver real-estate... ;)

But yes, I think YVR has the most flights to China any North American airport. Not including HKG, I'd guess that China flights will make up roughly 50% of the 120 weekly frequencies from Asia this summer. Pretty amazing stuff.

Incidentally, January 2013 traffic figures are out, and show a slight decline of 1.3% over January 2012.

Gordon
Mar 6, 2013, 5:18 AM
Does anyone have any updates on pier A\ B construction?

LeftCoaster
Mar 6, 2013, 5:20 PM
I was in there on Sunday, its coming along just fine. YVR has done a very good job of hiding the work, I bet 99% of people wouldn't even realize work was happening.

trofirhen
Mar 6, 2013, 9:06 PM
Now that AC has announced (correct me if I'm wrong) that they are discontinuing YVR - SAN altogether, has any other airline stepped in to fill this market? It seems like too major a market to go unserved direct, but until WJ or AS steps in - if they do - it'll mean changing planes in LAX. WJ has a nonstop from Calgary, so why not Vancouver? Seems strange to me.

Johnny Aussie
Mar 7, 2013, 9:38 AM
Effective 20 July China Eastern now going double daily to PVG.

This really is all an insane amount of additional capacity to China.

The tally for summer 2013 is now..... ?

http://airlineroute.net/2013/03/07/mu-yvr-s13

Hourglass
Mar 7, 2013, 10:30 AM
Effective 20 July China Eastern now going double daily to PVG.

This really is all an insane amount of additional capacity to China.

The tally for summer 2013 is now..... ?

http://airlineroute.net/2013/03/07/mu-yvr-s13

By my count:

PEK 22x/week (Air Canada 11x, Air China 11x)
PVG 21x/week (Air Canada 7x, China Easter 14x)
CAN 7x/week (China Southern)
SHE 4x.week (Sichuan Airlines)

Think that's correct.

That makes 54 weekly flights between China and YVR this summer. Pretty amazing growth!

Bigtime
Mar 7, 2013, 2:02 PM
Wow, that is insane. Good on ya YVR!

Johnny Aussie
Mar 8, 2013, 8:03 AM
PR's YYZ plans have changed again.

PR was operating three weekly non-stop MNL-YYZ with the return via YVR.

These flights will now operate via YVR in both directions effective 15 March.

Therefore MNL-YVR and v.v. will operate 4 days per week and MNL-YVR-YYZ and v.v. will operate 3 days per week.

I am tipping the MNL-YYZ flights are not performing as well as planned.

http://airlineroute.net/2013/03/08/pr-s13update2/

ACT7
Mar 8, 2013, 7:43 PM

Therefore MNL-YVR and v.v. will operate 4 days per week and MNL-YVR-YYZ and v.v. will operate 3 days per week.

It probably has a lot to with distance as well. That's a 15 hour flight with generally low-yielding traffic. Volumes were apparently quite high.

Gordon
Mar 8, 2013, 7:54 PM
West Jet Encore will use gate A5 . facilities will be phased at the end of A pier.

Hourglass
Mar 8, 2013, 11:46 PM

Does PR have traffic rights between YVR and YYZ?

ACT7
Mar 9, 2013, 2:43 AM
Does PR have traffic rights between YVR and YYZ?
I don't think so. The flight on PR's website just shows a stopover with nothing more - no option to book the domestic leg.

Johnny Aussie
Mar 9, 2013, 11:37 PM
Summer scheds showing the 1:00pm changed to a daily 319.

The second daily flight still showing as a CR7.

Last summer mainline only operated on the weekend rotations so another bump in DL capacity on its way.

GrahamH
Mar 11, 2013, 2:43 AM
I know there has been some taxiway and apron improvements/expansion going on recently. Does anyone know if they have been completed yet? I would love to see some photos.

Gordon
Mar 14, 2013, 5:07 AM
will the Pier A\B renovations be phased in as completed or opened when totally completed ?

West Jet seems to only be uisng gates A2 A3& A4 in pier A & Variouse pier b gates,

Have Gates A1 & A5 been taken out of service?

Johnny Aussie
Mar 19, 2013, 2:34 AM
Summer scheds showing the 1:00pm changed to a daily 319.

The second daily flight still showing as a CR7.

Last summer mainline only operated on the weekend rotations so another bump in DL capacity on its way.

Now a daily 320.... sheesh make up your minds! :-P

In any event that's a pretty big boost.

casper
Mar 19, 2013, 4:00 AM
Now a daily 320.... sheesh make up your minds! :-P

In any event that's a pretty big boost.

Going from a 319 to a 320 is not that unusual. All the airlines appear to have become more sophisticated in how they automatically adjust to load patterns. Is this mostly sessional cruise ship traffic or something more fundamental going on?

Johnny Aussie
Mar 19, 2013, 9:59 AM
^ compared to the prior year it's a pretty big jump from 2 daily mix CR7/CR9 to a daily 320 and a daily CR7.

I would assume this is mainly for cruise ship traffic. Vancouver seemed to bottom out in cruise ship capacity and is slowly rebuilding from its low a couple of years ago.

hollywoodnorth
Mar 25, 2013, 5:37 AM
when I look at the YVR Master Plan >> http://www.yvr.ca/en/about/future-planning/YVR-Your-Airport-2027.aspx

it seems like the North-South taxiway is the next major project planned.....anyone know its status?

deasine
Mar 25, 2013, 6:07 AM
when I look at the YVR Master Plan >> http://www.yvr.ca/en/about/future-planning/YVR-Your-Airport-2027.aspx

it seems like the North-South taxiway is the next major project planned.....anyone know its status?

Old document. Project has been nixed due to its cost.

Porfiry
Mar 25, 2013, 4:30 PM
Old document. Project has been nixed due to its cost.

Is there a newer document that supersedes this plan?

Millennium2002
Mar 25, 2013, 10:18 PM
Is it truly nixed? Or just postponed for better days?

trofirhen
Mar 26, 2013, 3:13 PM
Is it truly nixed? Or just postponed for better days?
I hppe it has only been postponed. I think it would be cool to be driving in YVR, and seeing a jet passing slowly overhead on a taxiway, the way they do at certain big airports. :rolleyes:

Gordon
Mar 26, 2013, 3:32 PM
I think the Airport authority views that as an important project but it may not needed until the terminal is expanded .

How will the North South Taxiway be affected by the Canada Line guideway tha runs tha length of Sea island?

Zassk
Mar 26, 2013, 5:20 PM
How will the North South Taxiway be affected by the Canada Line guideway tha runs tha length of Sea island?

The Canada Line was built at ground level in that section, specifically to make the taxiway possible.

idunno
Mar 26, 2013, 6:49 PM
According to that plan, it's scheduled for 2014.

deasine
Mar 27, 2013, 2:50 AM
I think the Airport authority views that as an important project but it may not needed until the terminal is expanded .

As Zaask mentioned, it wouldn't be affected.

The reason why the North-South Taxiway was the cost and if I don't recall wrong, the cost of the project exceeded some of the runway extensions. Keep in mind, the North-South Taxiway project does add additional capacity to the airport unlike the runway extension projects. Yes, it may be a long taxi for international flights (especially US flights) to the south runway, but the times are still comparable to most large airports in the States, and the taxiways have the capacity to handle additional flight queuing. So the project will probably not be needed until we reach a point where it is economical to invest in efficiencies in our airport.

While statistically, YVR at its peak (during the summer) has more takeoffs and landings than YYZ, our traffic includes sea planes. There isn't a runway capacity issue unlike YYZ, and our airport is not rated as a slot-constrained airport by IATA/ICAO. I doubt the runway expansion projects will go ahead. If you think about it, Hong Kong and London Heathrow, is able to operate its traffic with two runways. Of course, they are capacity constrained, but they have many more times more takeoffs and landings.

I don't think capacity is a big problem at YVR for the foreseeable future: I rather see the money be invested in improving the terminals at YVR. If YVR wants to keep its Canada's Asia-Pacific "hub", it really needs to reduce the minimum time for connections between international-domestic flights. For instance, there were earlier discussions of investing in a baggage handling system that allows for international passengers to clear customs for domestic flights without having to pick up their luggage. Another example outlined in the plan is to have separate terminals by airlines rather than by destination. Currently passengers on WestJet flights connecting to International flights get the worse possible connection at YVR: almost a 500-meter connection. I believe YVRs upcoming A/B reconstruction allows for provisions for this to happen in the future, but I can't be 100 percent certain.

On the topic of airport improvements, here's a picture recently taken. I couldn't get a direct shot without getting a terrible reflection, but notice the construction fencing and the beginnings of a small crane by the A/B Pier behind the edge of the check-in terminal.
http://i.imgur.com/6Cb3Qs0l.jpg
Taken By Me

ACT7
Mar 27, 2013, 1:12 PM
While statistically, YVR at its peak (during the summer) has more takeoffs and landings than YYZ, our traffic includes sea planes.

Huh?? Really?? Do you have the source for that?

Gordon
Mar 27, 2013, 2:23 PM
I think part of the pier A\B project has to do with being able to connect and transit better from that part of the airport.

runway capacity likely won't be a problem for a while I think only about 2 or 3% of north Runway traffic are takeoffs.

phesto
Mar 27, 2013, 3:09 PM
The North-South Taxiway hasn't been 'nixed' per se, it has just been pushed off the list of current priorities due to cost...in 2011 it was budgeted at $200 Million.

whatnext
Mar 27, 2013, 3:20 PM
They should make repaving Russ Baker Way their top priority, it is appalling. YVR is responsible for the road netwoprk on Sea Island and with the millions they rake in, they can afford to take care of it.

deasine
Mar 27, 2013, 8:45 PM
Huh?? Really?? Do you have the source for that?

According to a member from NavCanada. Not sure if they have statistics on their website. Keep in mind, YYZ doesn't include YTZ statistics...

ACT7
Mar 28, 2013, 1:45 PM
According to a member from NavCanada. Not sure if they have statistics on their website. Keep in mind, YYZ doesn't include YTZ statistics...
True, but it's still surprising since YYZ's movements are 430Kish and YVR's are 300Kish. (that's total terminal and non-terminal movements). YTZ is a whole other ball of wax. Plus YVR has not hit its 2008 peak movements since that time. I'd be interested in seeing NavCanada's stats on that if they have them available.

deasine
Mar 28, 2013, 9:43 PM
True, but it's still surprising since YYZ's movements are 430Kish and YVR's are 300Kish. (that's total terminal and non-terminal movements). YTZ is a whole other ball of wax. Plus YVR has not hit its 2008 peak movements since that time. I'd be interested in seeing NavCanada's stats on that if they have them available.

I was also surprised when I found out but I guess I'll take his word for it. Even if stats were found (there were stats on YVRs site), it doesn't break it down far enough to each particular month, and in this case, we need to find each individual day during the peak season.

ACT7
Mar 29, 2013, 1:44 AM
I was also surprised when I found out but I guess I'll take his word for it. Even if stats were found (there were stats on YVRs site), it doesn't break it down far enough to each particular month, and in this case, we need to find each individual day during the peak season.
Good point. I know CAPA shows this information (and used to show it for free) but now a membership is over $200/mo. Not worth it. Although, when I did have access to it, I remember looking at peak movements for YVR, YYC, YYZ, and YUL, and YYZ always seemed like the highest each month, as well as each hour of the day (which is how CAPA broke it down). Oh well, no biggie.

twoNeurons
Mar 29, 2013, 4:46 PM

It won't be.The Canada line was specifically designed to accommodate a North South taxiway.

When initially proposed, the entire Canada Line guideway was elevated on Sea Island. The airport requested a portion to be be built at grade so the N/S elevated taxiway would have no issues clearing it.

Johnny Aussie
Apr 9, 2013, 10:35 AM
UA has just updated its summer scheds.

A total mish mash of equipment and frequencies but overall looks like each route will have more capacity and/or frequency than the last sched upload and compared to last summer. Sundays will have 21 flights departing with a wide mix of equipment including Express and mainline.

Changes noted:

IAH: the daily 11:37 flight being upgauged to 757 on both Sat and Sun. Remaining flights a dogs breakfast including 319, 320, 738 and 739.
DEN: a 4th frequency being added on Sat and Sun. Equipment a mix of CR7, 73G, 319 and 320
ORD: equipment a real mish mash of 319, 320, 73G, 738 and 739.
SFO: a 6th frequency being added on Sundays. Equipment a mix of CRJ, 319, 320, 738 and 752
EWR: daily flight upgauged to a 752 on Saturdays. Remaining are 319.
IAD: the 2 weekly flights are now 320
LAX: remains 1 daily CR7

Edit: these changes are for July only at this stage.

deasine
Apr 20, 2013, 12:35 AM
Reports that the Hudsons Bay at YVR-international terminal is now open (via Retail Insider's Facebook Page).

Gordon
Apr 25, 2013, 3:37 PM
the Q400 can use a jetway the regular front left door .

Gordon
May 8, 2013, 8:45 PM
Does anybody have any updates or has seen the progress of the pier A\B renovations?

nname
May 8, 2013, 8:57 PM
The latest terminal map removed gate A1 and added A6, A7.

Gordon
May 8, 2013, 9:13 PM
They have 2 different versions of the terminal map on their website. The domestic terminal map hasn't been updated yet, Gates A 6 & A7 will probably be West Jet Encore's gates with out A1 they could add an extra gate the the updated B Pier.

zahav
May 9, 2013, 5:03 AM
thats correct about 6/7 being for Encore; the airport project for this section is calledc "Commuter Pier". But in regards to replacing A1, the AB link building will actually add 3 more gates to the combined AB Pier, so the net result is 2 addition gates

trofirhen
May 9, 2013, 7:27 AM
Is there a link to this, or a diagram of this anywhere?

craneSpotter
May 9, 2013, 5:07 PM
Not sure if this has been posted already...
YVR introduces automated customs clearance for travel to U.S.

BIV Wed May 8, 2013 - link (http://www.biv.com/article/20130508/BIV0118/130509936/yvr-introduces-automated-customs-clearance-for-travel-to-us?utm_source=BIV+Daily&utm_campaign=ac9096a55f-Daily_Wednesday_May_85_8_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e7a16d5571-ac9096a55f-209343261)

Passing through customs at Vancouver International Airport will be quicker for travellers headed to the U.S., thanks to 12 new automated customs kiosks.

YVR has worked with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to implement the new automated customs system – the first of its kind in Canada.

Initially, only American citizens travelling back to the U.S. from YVR will be able to use the kiosks, but YVR plans to soon offer the service to Canadian travellers headed to the U.S. as well.

Travellers will no longer have to fill out their customs declarations with a customs officer when they arrive at the airport.

Instead, they will simply fill out a questionnaire on the kiosk, which takes a photo of the traveller and scans his or her passport. It then issues a receipt, which is shown along with passports to a customs officer as travellers make their way through border clearance.

Johnny Aussie
May 10, 2013, 3:26 AM
Just read on Airlineroute.net that CZ is increasing Vancouver-Guangzhou flights to 5 per week for winter 2013/2014 up from 3 last winter.

I am sure this will eventually lead to year-round daily as they have already increased summer sched to daily.

Hourglass
May 10, 2013, 5:33 AM
^^
It be great to see China Southern bring the A380 to Vancouver!

Anyway, also on airlineroute.net, it seems that Lufthansa will continue to use the Airbus A340-600 to YVR into the winter 2013/2014 season, replacing the A340-300.

teriyaki
May 10, 2013, 5:57 AM
^^

Anyway, also on airlineroute.net, it seems that Lufthansa will continue to use the Airbus A340-600 to YVR into the winter 2013/2014 season, replacing the A340-300.

I READ that as "its great to see China Southern bring the A380 to Vancouver" and my heart skipped a beat.:slob:

trofirhen
May 10, 2013, 9:57 AM
I'd love to see a few more airlines into YVR, and about 10 new major destinations overseas, on different continenets. Dream on. :rolleyes:

theKB
May 10, 2013, 4:23 PM
I READ that as "its great to see China Southern bring the A380 to Vancouver" and my heart skipped a beat.:slob:

ha if only...

I don't think any of the jetways can accommodate a380's at YVR

Gordon
May 10, 2013, 4:38 PM
The double headed jetways at the end of the East Chevron can accommodate a 380s

sacrifice333
May 10, 2013, 6:40 PM
^^

Where do you get the A380 info from? Sounds like their planning to use their new 787's on the YVR route. Source (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324744104578472803435418578.html).

deasine
May 10, 2013, 6:48 PM
Where do you get the A380 info from? Sounds like their planning to use their new 787's on the YVR route. Source (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324744104578472803435418578.html).

Hourglass meant: "It WOULD be great if..."

whatnext
May 10, 2013, 8:55 PM
The domestic pier is cold and lonely when you're waiting to board a delayed red-eye to TO.

My photo :(

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy177/Whatnext2010/YVRlatenite_zpsd7d0e25d.jpg (http://s789.photobucket.com/user/Whatnext2010/media/YVRlatenite_zpsd7d0e25d.jpg.html)

trofirhen
May 10, 2013, 10:58 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wow!! Hard to believe how empty the airport seems!! What time of day is this?

Denscity
May 10, 2013, 11:53 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wow!! Hard to believe how empty the airport seems!! What time of day is this?

He mentioned "delayed red-eye" so im guessing 3am?

nname
May 11, 2013, 12:25 AM
I think the domestic terminal looks pretty much like that after 11:45pm. I took those 1am-3am trans-pacific flight quite often, and I hardly ever see anyone in the domestic terminal outside of the food court at that time...

trofirhen
May 11, 2013, 12:39 AM
I think the domestic terminal looks pretty much like that after 11:45pm. I took those 1am-3am trans-pacific flight quite often, and I hardly ever see anyone in the domestic terminal outside of the food court at that time...
At that time, is the International Terminal busier? Compared with other airports, YVR often seems rather empty.

nname
May 11, 2013, 12:48 AM
At that time, is the International Terminal busier? Compared with other airports, YVR often seems rather empty.

A lot of trans-pacific flights depart after midnight... There are the PR to Manila (B777 x2), CI and BR to Taipei (A340, B747), CX to Hong Kong (B777), MU to Shanghai (A330), and I believe at one point, there were also AC to Hong Kong (B777) and CA to Beijing (A330)... All with large planes and high usage. So, yeah, its quite busy, especially past midnight. The US-portion (pier E) is dead quiet though...

Speaking of which, I wonder what happened to that Beijing flight... it departed Vancouver at exactly 3am and arrive at Beijing also at 3am :D

yesheh
May 11, 2013, 1:19 AM
Speaking of which, I wonder what happened to that Beijing flight... it departed Vancouver at exactly 3am and arrive at Beijing also at 3am :D

I took that Air China flight to Beijing once - two years ago. 2am-ish departure, arrived in Beijing at 5am. Was one of about 5 non-asian people on the plane.

Airboy
May 11, 2013, 1:39 AM

The 10 pm flight to Whitehorse it was damn quiet in the terminal. The bar was pretty much the only thing open and they stopped serving food just after I sat down.

Yeg by comparison is still quite busy right up to midnight. And a number of services are still avaliable then as well.

whatnext
May 11, 2013, 5:32 AM
He mentioned "delayed red-eye" so im guessing 3am?

According to my phone, 10:47 pm. Flight delayed from 11:30 to 01:30.

As has been pointed out, the international terminal may have been busy, but I wasn't going to bother going back through security to find out.

Hourglass
May 11, 2013, 12:52 PM
Hourglass meant: "It WOULD be great if..."

Yes, my fault for writing using my iPhone...

Klazu
May 11, 2013, 4:19 PM
It's not like YVR would be only airport dead between the midnight and the morning hours. Same happened to me at ICN, which is one of the busiest airports in the world. Yet they practically close down between 1am and 4am.

I happened to catch the second last flight that night to IST and I can tell you it was eerie to wander the almost empty giant airport. Only McDonald's and a handful of stores were open nearby the gate the flight departed from.

Very different experience was DXB where those same hours are the most busiest with Asian/Australian flights connecting with European/American ones.

WarrenC12
May 11, 2013, 7:46 PM
I used to take a regular 8:30 ORD-YVR flight. That airport was really slowing down by 8pm, and if that flight was delayed, it quickly became a ghost town.

deasine
May 12, 2013, 4:41 AM
I used to take a regular 8:30 ORD-YVR flight. That airport was really slowing down by 8pm, and if that flight was delayed, it quickly became a ghost town.

Is the Transborder Section still open at that time? If so, the US side would be ESPECIALLY quiet.

Jebby
May 12, 2013, 3:42 PM

YVR does seem pretty empty to me most of the time in the departures area (international terminal, I've never flown out of the domestic one that I can recall). The only busy area is the customs/baggage claim hall which at time can also be completely deserted.

nname
May 12, 2013, 5:53 PM
Is the Transborder Section still open at that time? If so, the US side would be ESPECIALLY quiet.

The US side is closed after 8:30pm.

trofirhen
May 15, 2013, 10:15 PM
The US side is closed after 8:30pm.
Part of the YVR Master Plan included a new Transborder Terminal. That would hardly seem necessary, given the relatively low volume of traffic, would it not?

Jebby
May 15, 2013, 11:54 PM
Part of the YVR Master Plan included a new Transborder Terminal. That would hardly seem necessary, given the relatively low volume of traffic, would it not?

More than half of all international passengers at YVR are transborder. In March 2013 365,000 out of 663,000 were flying to/from the US.

http://www.yvr.ca/Libraries/Aviation_Marketing/March_2013_Traffic_Update.sflb.ashx

trofirhen
May 15, 2013, 11:58 PM
More than half of all international passengers at YVR are transborder. In March 2013 365,000 out of 663,000 were flying to/from the US.

http://www.yvr.ca/Libraries/Aviation_Marketing/March_2013_Traffic_Update.sflb.ashx

I thought there would have been more night flights, that being the case.

Jebby
May 16, 2013, 1:19 AM

There probably are transborder late flights, but they probably just use the regular international terminal due to the cost of having US border agents stationed there and the fact that you need to keep a whole separate terminal facility (even if its in the same building) open. The passengers flying transborder after 8:30pm would just have to go through customs and immigration arriving in the US instead of being pre-cleared.

cyeg66
May 16, 2013, 3:02 AM
While statistically, YVR at its peak (during the summer) has more takeoffs and landings than YYZ, our traffic includes sea planes.

Correct, to the seaplanes part, incorrect to the "busier than YYZ" part. Hardly close at all, even more so when talking about IFR commercial traffic.

SpongeG
May 16, 2013, 5:27 AM
when US customs is closed down at YVR you just go through and clear customs at the US airport

nname
May 16, 2013, 5:41 AM

There is actually only one night flight - the CX to New York, and it is departing in the international gate.

But does it really make sense to have night flights, since we are in a time zone that's behind everyone else in the continent? How many people would take, say a 10pm flight to LAX and arriving there at 1am? What about a 10pm flight to Dallas and arriving there at 3am?

twoNeurons
May 16, 2013, 1:36 PM
There is actually only one night flight - the CX to New York, and it is departing in the international gate.

But does it really make sense to have night flights, since we are in a time zone that's behind everyone else in the continent? How many people would take, say a 10pm flight to LAX and arriving there at 1am? What about a 10pm flight to Dallas and arriving there at 3am?

Agreed. Makes more sense to have flights early morning.

Prometheus
May 17, 2013, 9:34 PM
In case it hasn't already been mentioned:

Lufthansa launches new Vancouver-to-Munich route

By Emma Crawford - Business In Vancouver
Fri May 17, 2013 9:41am PST

Yesterday marked the inaugural flight of Lufthansa's new Vancouver-to-Munich route.

The once-daily long-haul flight is scheduled to take just over 10 hours and is now the second daily Lufthansa flight to Germany (the airline has operated a once-daily flight from Vancouver to Frankfurt since 1983).

"Our new Vancouver-Munich route offers an exciting new choice for British Columbian travellers, but it also provides business and leisure travellers another travel option to the largest city in British Columbia," said Juergen Siebenrock, vice-president, the Americas, Luftansa German Airlines.

"Given the strong performance of our Vancouver-Frankfurt route and the increasing demand by Western Canadians for a new direct passage to Germany, the new route makes a great addition to our services by adding more than 1,500 additional seats to Germany every week."

This new route is the only long-haul addition Lufthansa is making worldwide this year.

http://www.biv.com/article/20130517/BIV0118/130519945/lufthansa-launches-new-vancouver-to-munich-route

deasine
May 17, 2013, 9:58 PM
I was just going to post a link for the inaugural photos:
http://yvr.ca/en/blog/PhotoGallery.aspx?libraryName=Lufthansa%20Inaugural%20from%20Munich

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKf-y81CcAAcju-.jpg:large
From YVR

Johnny Aussie
May 17, 2013, 11:57 PM
^ looks great the two LH planes right beside each other.

I can see the second MUC on flightradar24 landing in YVR right now.

theKB
May 18, 2013, 12:39 AM
Glad to see the Munich direct flight. So much simpler than connecting in that hell hole of an airport that's permanently under construction in Frankfurt.

Klazu
May 18, 2013, 2:41 AM
Great news and great photo! I won't likely be using that route, but great to see our options to Europe increase. :tup:

YVR Bruce
May 18, 2013, 3:16 PM
I go thru FRA or MUC often, and will use it for better connection to GDN

trofirhen
May 18, 2013, 3:45 PM
Is this new route to Munich not seasonal only? It is announced as if it were a year-round scheduled flight, but I read that it was only for summer seasonal. (?)

Great to have it, anyway, whatever the case.

s211
May 20, 2013, 6:00 PM
Awesome. Let's hope the Munich flight becomes year-round.