PDA

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139

mr.x
Feb 24, 2007, 5:41 AM
Updated pics:
http://westcoast.pcl.com/media/files/Projects/22_BC_Region/2200428_1_300.jpg
http://westcoast.pcl.com/media/files/Projects/22_BC_Region/2200428_3_300.jpg

Hourglass
Feb 24, 2007, 6:56 AM
^There had been rumours of a CDG-YVR-PPT service a couple of years ago, but I hadn't heard anything since. Any news?

Apparently Air Tahiti uses YVR somewhat regularly to refuel on charters and military flights.

As far as I know, it's still a rumor. Not entirely sure, but I think the Canada-France bilateral agreement is the problem here. There were also rumors that AF wanted to start YVR-CDG service, but couldn't for the same reason. And now that AF has just announced service to Seattle, it's unlikely they'll come to Vancouver -- at least in the short-term.

muzhav84
Feb 27, 2007, 10:27 PM
the first phase of the West Chevron expansion (i believe it is 4 new gates, including the A380 gate) is set to open tomorrow! The aquarium and jellyfish tank are still not done, but they are opening up the new area by tomorrow!

mr.x
Feb 28, 2007, 12:57 AM
the first phase of the West Chevron expansion (i believe it is 4 new gates, including the A380 gate) is set to open tomorrow! The aquarium and jellyfish tank are still not done, but they are opening up the new area by tomorrow!

awesome!!! perfect!!! i'm going overseas spring break.

excel
Feb 28, 2007, 7:05 AM
Great news thanks.

muzhav84
Mar 1, 2007, 11:58 PM
this winter is going to be great for flights to Oceania! Air Canada just announced today that they are starting NON-STOP daily flights to and from Sydney on their new 777s. So we will have Air NZ flying to Aukland and AC to Sydney non-stop, both on 777. Great news and long overdue!

SpongeG
Mar 2, 2007, 5:08 AM
they can label it the whistler express

SpongeG
Mar 6, 2007, 9:27 PM
i saw the new expansion on the noon news today - looked nice

the lights are meant to resemble logs the way they are laid out - kinda wacky and all over the place - nice touch

i noticed that there is a MANGO opening in the new terminal too - interesting

i wonder if its the same as this Mango?

http://blogs.ocregister.com/stylescoop/archives/image12.jpg

mr.x
Mar 7, 2007, 12:58 AM
March 6, 2007 - 11:30 AM | YVR.ca

YVR OPENS NEW GATES IN INTERNATIONAL TERMINAL EXPANSION
Terminal Facilities Feature West Coast Design and Expanded Retail Program

Richmond, B.C. (March 6, 2007): Vancouver Airport Authority celebrated today the official opening of four new gates as part of the first phase of YVR's International Terminal expansion. Designed to better accommodate the airport's growing passenger traffic and the larger aircraft of the future, the facilities feature an expanded retail program and build upon YVR's distinctive design tradition.

"This expansion is the cornerstone of the Airport Authority's $1.0-billion capital construction program, and essential to accommodating our growth as we prepare to serve a record 17.5 million passengers in 2007," said Larry Berg, President and CEO, Vancouver Airport Authority. "With these new facilities, YVR is poised to become the premier North American gateway to Asia."

This commitment to growing Asia-Pacific traffic was illustrated at today's event with the arrival of the first aircraft to use the new terminal facilities; Air Canada AC8 arrived this morning at Gate 65 on its regular route from Hong Kong.

Building upon YVR's distinctive design tradition, the $200-million, 36,000 square metre expansion features the West Coast colour palette and unique architectural themes evident in both YVR's existing terminal facilities and newly launched logo. The building, which opened as scheduled on March 1 for airline maintenance, testing and familiarization, features 400 metres of moving walkways to facilitate passenger movement through the terminal; 27 plasma signs that switch between multiple languages to help international passengers navigate the airport; and a first for YVR - check-in kiosks located at each of the new gates, to help passengers rebook flights quickly in the event of a cancellation.

Come June 2007, the unique design features of the central pavilion area will be finished, including a large aquarium showcasing indigenous marine life, a 30,000-gallon seawater tank housing 100 moon jellyfish, and a stream running through the centre of the building. When complete, the facilities will also feature more than 25 new shops and services, including premium duty free shopping and full-service restaurants and cafés.

Ray Zibrik, President of YVR Project Management, the subsidiary company responsible for overseeing the project, recognizes the completion of the building was made possible by the dedication of hundreds of people. "I would like to thank all of the skilful and dedicated workers, engineers and designers, who have given more than 900,000 hours of hard work since the project's inception in 2005, for completing the expansion on time and on budget."

The project was funded through a combination of airport revenue sources, including retail sales, airplane landing fees and the Airport Improvement Fee. The $1.0-billion construction program is expected to generate 5,200 person-years of employment and $525-million in direct GDP.

SpongeG
Mar 7, 2007, 2:58 AM
when global ran the story at noon they used the old logo for YVR

Hourglass
Mar 8, 2007, 1:32 AM
Interesting news for YVR....

Oasis Hong Kong Airlines Grows Fleet to Five Aircraft
Strong momentum underway to open up more destinations with popular Vancouver being next

Hong Kong, March 6, 2007

Oasis Hong Kong Airlines has today finalised an agreement with ANA (All Nippon Airways Co., Ltd.) to purchase three additional Boeing 747-400s, as part of its planned fleet expansion in preparation for the launch of the airline’s new Vancouver route in the second half of 2007. This will bring the Oasis fleet to five aircraft.

Steve Miller, Chief Executive Officer of Oasis Hong Kong Airlines, said, “The purchase of three Boeing 747-400s marked another significant milestone in our history, getting closer to our goal of acquiring up to five aircraft a year and eventually expanding our fleet to 25 aircraft by 2010. ANA is an airline known for its excellence, efficiency, reliability and dedication to safety, the very qualities that are at the core of Oasis. These aircraft have been maintained in top quality condition. We look forward to the addition of these aircraft which will allow us to bring our passengers to many exciting destinations around the world in future. The expanded fleet will also greatly enhance our cargo capacity and therefore our airfreight income. Our momentum is strong and we’re on track to achieving our business goals.”

Peter Shannon, Director of Engineering of Oasis Hong Kong Airlines, added, “The three aircraft are amongst the youngest Boeing 747-400s in the world. They were all previously owned and maintained by ANA and are in perfect condition. Deliveries are scheduled to begin from April 2007 and run through to the first quarter of 2008. I am sure passengers will enjoy their flights on these reliable and comfortable aircraft.”

Oasis is also pleased to announce commencement of scheduled air services to Vancouver, subject to government approval on 28 June 2007. Vancouver is a popular destination to Hong Kong people, enjoying high demand year round due to a high population of Hong Kong immigrants. And to prepare for the launch of Oasis’ second destination, the airline is also hiring 200 more cockpit and cabin crew members, soon bringing its crew size to over 400.

Ken Chad, Commercial Director of Oasis Hong Kong Airlines, commented, “We are delighted to have the opportunity to fly to Vancouver. This is a very strong point to point market, one of the strongest out of Hong kong. It’s a market where there is substantially less reliance on feeder traffic. Consequently, it is currently our preferred next destination.”

Delirium
Mar 10, 2007, 1:29 AM
some pics courtesy of pacificmetropolis.com

http://pacificmetropolis.typepad.com/./photos/uncategorized/yvr_terminal_expansion_by_larry_goldstei_3.jpg

http://pacificmetropolis.typepad.com/./photos/uncategorized/link_building_ii_by_larry_goldstein.jpg

http://pacificmetropolis.typepad.com/./photos/uncategorized/link_building.jpg

mr.x
Mar 10, 2007, 5:46 AM
Explanation of the new logo:
http://pacificmetropolis.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/yvr_logo.jpg

natelox
Mar 10, 2007, 6:11 AM
Nice pictures.

I'm curious as to why they didn't use those beautiful glass loading gates for the new expansion.

excel
Mar 10, 2007, 6:17 AM
Great pictures, thanks.

hollywoodnorth
Mar 10, 2007, 6:21 AM
thanks for the pics.......and I like the new logo!

Go YVR Go!

SpongeG
Mar 14, 2007, 9:01 PM
new route

Air Canada flying nonstop from Sacramento International

Sacramento International Airport added a second international carrier Tuesday when Air Canada announced it will offer twice-daily nonstop service from Sacramento to Vancouver, B.C., beginning June 15.

"We are constantly seeking new routes for our customers," said airport spokeswoman Gina Swankie. "This is a much desired route. Vancouver was at the top of our list for international destinations."

The Montreal-based airline will depart Sacramento at 7:40 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Flights from Vancouver will arrive in the capital city at 3:52 p.m. and 9:47 p.m. Flights have been timed to coincide with connections in Vancouver to and from Air Canada's flights to Asia and points across Canada.

Air Canada is the second foreign carrier to offer flights from Sacramento International Airport. Mexicana Airlines began service from the airport on July 1, 2002. Domestic carrier Frontier Airlines also launched international nonstop service to Mexico earlier this month.

http://milwaukee.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stories/2007/03/12/daily28.html

phesto
Mar 14, 2007, 9:19 PM
^It'll be interesting to see how that route works out and what the frequencies are.

Didn't see this posted, but bad news for YVR last week (although not really surprising).

Vancouver losing 700 jobs as Delta cancels contract
Last Updated: Tuesday, March 6, 2007 | 3:12 PM PT
CBC News
Delta Air Lines has suddenly cancelled a maintenance contract with a subsidiary of ACE Aviation Holdings — a move that will cost 700 workers in Vancouver their jobs.

Delta's contract with ACTS was for the airframe maintenance of the airline's Boeing 767s. The five-year, $300-million US deal was signed in May 2005, but has been terminated early.

Delta, the third-largest U.S. air carrier, has been operating under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection since September 2005. It has been restructuring to slash costs.

"ACTS has worked extremely hard to make the relationship successful," CEO Chahram Bolouri said in a statement issued late Tuesday. "Unfortunately, we are not in a position to meet Delta's cost expectations."

The end of the contract will hit the maintenance division's Vancouver operation especially hard. Out of the 1,000 ACTS employees in that city, 700 will be let go. The layoffs will begin in June and be carried out through the summer. By the fall, only 300 ACTS workers will be left in Vancouver.

"We recognize and regret the impact this will have on our people, and we will work closely with them and their representatives in the coming weeks to mitigate the circumstances for affected employees as much as possible," Bolouri said.

phesto
Mar 14, 2007, 9:22 PM
btw, Cathay has increased their frequency on YVR-HKG to 17x weekly for June to October!

This route has always done well, but it will be interesting to see what happens with increasing competition.

excel
Mar 14, 2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the good news. Im surprised to see the sacramento route is twice daily to start with. Do you know what aircraft they will be using. Im assuming either CRJ or A319.

muzhav84
Mar 15, 2007, 6:56 PM
for Sacramento, it is operated by Jazz on a 50-seat CRJ

phesto
Mar 16, 2007, 3:02 PM
Bad news for YXX:

Air Canada to discontinue Calgary flights out of Abbotsford airport

Christina Toth, Abbotsford Times
Published: Friday, March 16, 2007

ABBOTSFORD - Losing Air Canada flights out of Abbotsford's airport is a huge setback for the local business community, said David D. Hull, executive director for the Abbotsford Chamber of Commerce.

"This is our connection to the world," he said. "Having the YXX connections to Calgary and the rest of Canada is crucial to the development of a sustainable economy here."

Air Canada will end its three daily Calgary flights out of Abbotsford on May 31 "due to the route performance, which did not meet expectations," said the airline's Angela Mah.

The Abbotsford Airport Authority reported more than 500,000 travellers used the terminal last year, about 70,000 of them with Air Canada.

© The Vancouver Sun 2007

Delirium
Mar 17, 2007, 12:03 AM
some additional new pics

love this piece of art
http://www.pcl.com/media/files/Projects/22_BC_Region/2200428_4_300.jpg

thematic creek
http://www.pcl.com/media/files/Projects/22_BC_Region/2200428_5_300.jpg

excel
Mar 17, 2007, 12:57 AM
cool photos thanks.

raggedy13
Mar 17, 2007, 1:40 AM
That school of fish piece looks amazing. Thanks for posting the pics.

SpongeG
Mar 20, 2007, 12:40 AM
yeah saw it on TV looked really nice

i wonder if people who have just got off an 8 hour flightreally appreciate it all

smasher000
Mar 20, 2007, 1:44 AM
i can tell you that they will appreciate it.

after my 10 hour flight from NYC back to Vancouver (yes, 3 hours waiting to be cleared for take off)

i really really appreciated the beautiful fountains in YVR that greeted us there

SpongeG
Mar 20, 2007, 4:22 AM
yeah i got stuck in cincinnati airport for 8 hours and it was awful

when i used YVR i never got to see much arrived on a small plane from Salt Lake City and basically walked on the tarmac into the building where customs etc was

SFUVancouver
Mar 20, 2007, 4:30 AM
Flying United from Orlando to YVR via Denver is still my favorite airline/airport idiocy. Our flight arrived an hour and a half late and as we pulled in the plane we needed to catch was pulling away next to us in the adjoining gate. United stood by their line that it was our fault that we missed the flight, as if somehow we could have caught the flight that left as we pulled in if we had really wanted to. Idiots, all of them.

muzhav84
Mar 20, 2007, 8:13 AM
no offence, but it is the passenger's fault if they miss a connection. The staff at the gate wont cause another flight to be delayed simply to wait for passengers that are late on an inbound connection. it definitely sucks to miss a flight, especially one that you can see pulling away, but i wouldnt consider the airline staff idiots for not waiting for you

twoNeurons
Mar 20, 2007, 4:09 PM
But usually the airline will put you on the next flight if you complain about it. Definitely if you missed the connection due to a United Flight being late.

SpongeG
Mar 20, 2007, 10:14 PM
i don't think airlines take things into account though

I flew from London to Cincinnatti and had one hour & 15 mins between my next flight

it took me a good 60 minutes to get through immigration and customs and by the time i got to the gate everyone had boarded and the guy was not wanting to let me on but he said ok but than security had to search me and my bag and my bag was locked for some reason i never meant to lock it anyway as they searched me shoes off belt off etc the two bag people just stood there never saying anything until i was done than they pipie in oh your bag is locked sir and the gate guy was like thats it you are not getting on this flight and sent the plane away and put me on the next one which ended up being delayed 8 hours :(

twoNeurons
Mar 20, 2007, 10:43 PM
At least you got the next flight. I was flying with ATA to Washington, DC from Seattle and transferring in Oklahoma.

Because there's no central security in Oklahama, you have to go through security for every gate.

We misread the board and when we came back and saw the plane boarding realized something was wrong.

We couldn't get through security in time... we literally saw the gangway being pulled away.

Anyway, we said the electronic board was wrong (we actually thought it was until we realized it was our mistake) and asked if we could be put on the next flight. They, kindly, put us on the next flight... which unfortunately was the next morning...

Actually, we almost missed that one too...

phesto
Mar 21, 2007, 1:28 AM
I was flying with ATA

That was your mistake right there.

smasher000
Mar 21, 2007, 1:40 AM
I've actually never had to transfer in my life - and i've gone on like 20 flights. it must be a pain though. I hate transferring on SkyTrain even..

crazyjoeda
Mar 21, 2007, 6:32 AM
I've actually never had to transfer in my life - and i've gone on like 20 flights. it must be a pain though. I hate transferring on SkyTrain even..

Its normaly not that bad. I had one bad experiance coming from Paris to Vancouver via Montreal. It was January and there was bad weather back East so my plane arriving from Paris was late getting in so I missed my connection to Vancouver. They told me the fastest way home was to go to Toronto and then to Vancouver. I was up like 30hours that day, it kinda sucked at the time but what can you do about the weather and it makes a good story now.

twoNeurons
Mar 21, 2007, 3:07 PM
That was your mistake right there.

True. But hey, I was young and poor at the time.

But they did give pretty good customer service. And no-charge to take the next flight.

Actually, if you take RyanAir or EasyJet, that's one thing you need to watch for.

It's part of their strategy to charge userfees. That's how they recover a lot of their costs. They have no problem putting you on the next flight and charge a nominal fee... something like 50-80$ or something... much cheaper than a lot of airlines but will never do it for free like those other airlines (if you complain). You also close ticketing 45 minutes before a flight and won't let you on it if you're late. But they'll happily charge you to get on the next one.

Coldrsx
Mar 21, 2007, 3:38 PM
how about resolve all of these issues and leave 2-3hrs between connections?

SpongeG
Mar 21, 2007, 9:28 PM
i was flying on a Delta airlines buddy pass so i was safe no matter what happenned they would just have to book a seat on the next flight anyway - luckily but since i wasn't a normal ticket purchaser when i got to SLC i had to pay for my own hotel where as most of the people who were on the flight got vouchers for a free hotel stay - but i did get a good rate through their thing

twoNeurons
Mar 21, 2007, 10:14 PM
yeah saw it on TV looked really nice

i wonder if people who have just got off an 8 hour flight really appreciate it all

Not sure about an 8-hour flight... but after a nine point five hour flight from Asia, I experienced that little room with the canoe just before the gates, I actually stopped and paused... it was so relaxing.

Tourists will just be excited to see their destination, but as a returning residents I felt much more at home.

mr.x
Mar 26, 2007, 3:27 AM
just got back from Hong Kong, the new terminal is nice.

MistyMountainHop
Mar 26, 2007, 6:59 AM
just got back from Hong Kong, the new terminal is nice.

Any pics?

phesto
Apr 10, 2007, 4:27 PM
Spanish duty-free giant enters Vancouver airspace

Aldeasa beats Swiss operator to massive YVR contract, as airport expansion opens up new revenue streams to mirror terminal growth

Grant Wing

Highly visible changes at YVR – including a major expansion of its international terminal and a new duty-free operator – are opening up fresh opportunities for retailers and new streams of revenues for the airport.

The expansion, with four newly opened international gates, is part of YVR’s $1 billion capital construction project designed to accommodate a projected 3.6% increase in passenger traffic.

The $200 million, 36,000- square-metre terminal expansion also introduces a new logo and visual identity for the airport. A central pavilion area featuring a large jellyfish-filled aquarium and a stream flowing through the centre of the building will be completed this June.

YVR’s manager of retail and passenger services, Chris Gilliland, said the expansion allows YVR to significantly expand its commercial offerings to customers. Retail and concession revenues are a big part of YVR’s overall revenues.

YVR reported 2005 revenues of $329.8 million, of which $58.8 million were concession revenues. Non-aeronautical revenues accounted for about 60% of YVR’s total revenues in 2006.

Gilliland said YVR has a pricing policy that mandates brand retailers in the airport charge the same for their products in the airport as they do elsewhere. Also, YVR, which is 100% leased, selects tenants through a bid process requiring interested businesses to submit financials, customer service, concepts and capital expenditures.

Gilliland added that YVR makes efforts to keep products from overlapping with products sold at its duty-free shops. Duty-free sales are a lucrative part of YVR’s non-aviation related revenues, with net duty-free sales reaching $61.8 million in 2004.

YVR’s new duty-free operator, Aldeasa, ranked fourth largest airport retailer in the world, took over duty-free operations this March. YVR is its first operation in North America. Madrid-based Aldeasa was awarded YVR’s duty-free concession for an eight-year contract term, with a two-year option. Aldeasa was awarded the contract over larger incumbent Zurich-based Nuance Group, which operated YVR’s duty-free for about 10 years. Gilliland said Aldeasa is particularly strong in marketing to international customers and mentioned a recent sale of $7,000 worth of cigars to a Japanese visitor.

Aldeasa claims resilience to economic downturns and says it is the first duty-free operator to operate profitably following the extinction of duty-free for EEC flights, which caused a nearly 60% decline in sales for other European operators.

Aldeasa Vancouver CEO Toni Felany sees YVR operations as a strong entry into the North American market for Aldeasa. The company is also planning a duty-free concession in Atlanta later this year.

Felany said Aldeasa’s YVR stores currently have between 160 and 170 employees, which should rise to about 240 employees in June when the full operation is running. Aldeasa will also operate a duty-free store in downtown Vancouver.

Between 40 and 50 ex-Nuance employees have been hired so far at Aldeasa, with more possibly in the future, said Felany.

He said YVR is highly regarded among duty-free operators.

The airport authority, he said, is one of the “most known in the duty-free industry because they are very proactive and, especially, taking a North America prospective, it is among the best,” said Felany.

YVR’s Gilliland says the new duty-free operator and terminal expansion will provide advantages to all YVR retailers.

“From what I’ve heard everyone’s really excited because they are creating a brand new shopping experience, and when you combine that with thematics, you really create a dynamic shopping environment where everyone is going to succeed and everyone is going to win in that case.”

phesto
Apr 10, 2007, 4:28 PM
WestJet outbound YVR seat capacity rises 12%

Proportion of airport share masks rapid growth of Harbour Air

Curt Cherewayko

While the total outbound seat capacity of airlines flying out of Vancouver International Airport increased a marginal 1.6% in 2006, many individual airlines experienced considerable fluctuations in outbound seat totals at the airport last year.

WestJet, whose presence has grown throughout Western Canada, had an outbound seat capacity from YVR of 1.7 million last year, a 12% increase from 2005. Air Canada, the leading carrier from the airport, saw a more modest increase of 1.6%, for a total of 5.3 million outbound seat capacity in 2006.

Harmony Airways recently announced plans to cease flights and restructure. The Vancouver-based airline nearly doubled its outbound seat capacity at YVR in 2006. Harmony, whose destinations were targeted at vacation hotspots, such as Hawaii, Las Vegas and Palm Springs, had outbound capacity of 280,000 in 2006, versus 188,000 in 2005.

Harbour Air, also based in Vancouver, sat near the bottom of the list of total outbound seat capacity at YVR, with 0.2% of the share in 2006. But Harbour, the largest all-seaplane airline in the world, enjoyed a 140% outbound capacity increase at the Richmond hub in 2006. Randy Wright, vice- president of sales and marketing at Harbour, attributes the increase to a couple of key events in the past two years. First, in December 2005, Harbour was forced to relocate all its flights from Coal Harbour to YVR because of construction in downtown Vancouver. Second, in April 2006, the airline introduced flights from Richmond to Victoria.

Wright said that heavy vehicle traffic throughout the Lower Mainland, coupled with vehicle lineups at B.C. ferry terminals, are causing a range of travellers to consider seaplanes as a viable travel alternative in B.C.

“Quite a few people are coming in, whether it’s government, business or leisure, and going [the seaplane] route,” Wright said. The company had outbound seat capacity of 21,631 out of YVR in 2006.

Along with its terminals in Vancouver and Richmond, Harbour flies to and from Langley, Nanaimo, Victoria and the Gulf Islands.

Numerous large international carriers saw their presence at YVR decrease in 2006, most notably American carrier Northwest Airlines, which had an outbound seat capacity of 72,000 out of the Richmond airport, a 39% decrease from last year; and America West Airlines, which had outbound capacity of 143,000 seats, a 28% decrease from last year. America West merged with U.S. Airways in 2005.

Overall outbound YVR seat capacity totalled 11.5 million last year, an increase of 185,500 seats from the previous year.

twoNeurons
Apr 10, 2007, 8:18 PM
A touch of bad news about the Link Building. The Airport Authority really wanted to open up the roof to people who wanted to see the planes come and go... but Transport Canada denied them.

SpongeG
Apr 10, 2007, 11:09 PM

Aldeasa beats Swiss operator to massive YVR contract, as airport expansion opens up new revenue streams to mirror terminal growth

Grant Wing

Highly visible changes at YVR – including a major expansion of its international terminal and a new duty-free operator – are opening up fresh opportunities for retailers and new streams of revenues for the airport.

The expansion, with four newly opened international gates, is part of YVR’s $1 billion capital construction project designed to accommodate a projected 3.6% increase in passenger traffic.

The $200 million, 36,000- square-metre terminal expansion also introduces a new logo and visual identity for the airport. A central pavilion area featuring a large jellyfish-filled aquarium and a stream flowing through the centre of the building will be completed this June.

YVR’s manager of retail and passenger services, Chris Gilliland, said the expansion allows YVR to significantly expand its commercial offerings to customers. Retail and concession revenues are a big part of YVR’s overall revenues.

YVR reported 2005 revenues of $329.8 million, of which $58.8 million were concession revenues. Non-aeronautical revenues accounted for about 60% of YVR’s total revenues in 2006.

Gilliland said YVR has a pricing policy that mandates brand retailers in the airport charge the same for their products in the airport as they do elsewhere. Also, YVR, which is 100% leased, selects tenants through a bid process requiring interested businesses to submit financials, customer service, concepts and capital expenditures.

Gilliland added that YVR makes efforts to keep products from overlapping with products sold at its duty-free shops. Duty-free sales are a lucrative part of YVR’s non-aviation related revenues, with net duty-free sales reaching $61.8 million in 2004.

YVR’s new duty-free operator, Aldeasa, ranked fourth largest airport retailer in the world, took over duty-free operations this March. YVR is its first operation in North America. Madrid-based Aldeasa was awarded YVR’s duty-free concession for an eight-year contract term, with a two-year option. Aldeasa was awarded the contract over larger incumbent Zurich-based Nuance Group, which operated YVR’s duty-free for about 10 years. Gilliland said Aldeasa is particularly strong in marketing to international customers and mentioned a recent sale of $7,000 worth of cigars to a Japanese visitor.

Aldeasa claims resilience to economic downturns and says it is the first duty-free operator to operate profitably following the extinction of duty-free for EEC flights, which caused a nearly 60% decline in sales for other European operators.

Aldeasa Vancouver CEO Toni Felany sees YVR operations as a strong entry into the North American market for Aldeasa. The company is also planning a duty-free concession in Atlanta later this year.

Felany said Aldeasa’s YVR stores currently have between 160 and 170 employees, which should rise to about 240 employees in June when the full operation is running. Aldeasa will also operate a duty-free store in downtown Vancouver.

Between 40 and 50 ex-Nuance employees have been hired so far at Aldeasa, with more possibly in the future, said Felany.

He said YVR is highly regarded among duty-free operators.

The airport authority, he said, is one of the “most known in the duty-free industry because they are very proactive and, especially, taking a North America prospective, it is among the best,” said Felany.

YVR’s Gilliland says the new duty-free operator and terminal expansion will provide advantages to all YVR retailers.

“From what I’ve heard everyone’s really excited because they are creating a brand new shopping experience, and when you combine that with thematics, you really create a dynamic shopping environment where everyone is going to succeed and everyone is going to win in that case.”

interesting

i wonder if thats why Spanish Based MNG Mango is opening in YVR first

raggedy13
Apr 11, 2007, 1:13 AM

I'm assuming this is a typo yes? 3.6% hardly seems worth investing $1 billion to accommodate. Do they mean 36%? That would seem to be a more likely reason to invest in a major airport expansion.

SFUVancouver
Apr 11, 2007, 5:41 AM
It must be a typo. Oakridge mall owner Ivanhoe Cambridge announced they are looking to build a regional supermall with 1,000,000,000 square feet of retail. (A billion sq feet would make sense in Dubai but not Vancouver) They later cite 1,000,000 sq feet.

phesto
Apr 12, 2007, 9:04 PM
Somewhat good news for YVR, Westjet capitalizing on Harmony's recent departure. Less competition is rarely a good thing, but can't argue with daily service!

WestJet Adds Daily Routes to Several Destinations

APR 12, 2007 - 11:33 ET

WestJet to provide daily flights from Vancouver to several destinations to fill gap left by Harmony Airways

CALGARY, ALBERTA--(CCNMatthews - April 12, 2007) - WestJet Airlines Ltd. (TSX:WJA) (WestJet) is pleased to add daily flights from Vancouver, British Columbia to several destinations in response to increased demand for additional flights after Harmony Airways' announcement to cease operations to these popular destinations.

Daily non-stop service from Vancouver will commence on the following dates to the following destinations:

- April 28, 2007 to Las Vegas, Nevada

- May 14, 2007 to Toronto, Ontario (totalling six flights every business day)

- November 4, 2007 to Honolulu, Hawaii

- November 4, 2007 to Maui (Kahului), Hawaii

- November 4, 2007 to Palm Springs, California

"WestJet is committed to ensuring guests have affordable and flexible travel opportunities to reach their chosen destination," said Bob Cummings, Executive Vice-President, Guest Experience and Marketing, WestJet. "We recognize travellers' flight choices and flexibility were compromised after Harmony Airways announced ceasing their operations and flights to these locations. We are pleased to be able to provide additional frequencies to these specific destinations to ensure guests have more options when booking their trips. As we grow our fleet from 65 to 70 aircraft by year end 2007, we are continually assessing where to put this capacity to meet the needs of Canadian travellers."

WestJet is Canada's leading low-fare airline offering scheduled service throughout its 35-city North American and Caribbean network. Named Canada's most admired corporate culture in 2005 and 2006, WestJet pioneered low-cost high-value flying in Canada. With increased legroom and leather seats on its modern fleet of Boeing Next-Generation 737 aircraft, and live seatback television provided by Bell ExpressVu on the majority of its fleet, WestJet strives to be the number one choice for travellers.

SpongeG
Apr 12, 2007, 10:35 PM

you've just gone from point a to point b than?

like if you are going to africa that would involve multiple transfers - usually you get a good 10 hour layover in london though

smasher000
Apr 13, 2007, 12:55 AM

like if you are going to africa that would involve multiple transfers - usually you get a good 10 hour layover in london though

yeah, we usually only go to major cities

Jared
Apr 13, 2007, 1:09 AM

Transfers are a very welcome thing on long trips. I had a Vancouver-London-Johannesburg-Durban trip a few years back, I woulda gone absolutely nuts without a 3 hour break in London.

SpongeG
Apr 13, 2007, 4:26 AM
Transfers are a very welcome thing on long trips. I had a Vancouver-London-Johannesburg-Durban trip a few years back, I woulda gone absolutely nuts without a 3 hour break in London.

i know eh

when i went in 2002 to joburg i stopped in london for 2 nights :banana:

and than 1 night on the way home

when i went as a kid we had a 10 hour layover and got to go into the city and on the way back we had an 8 and stayed in the airport - worst

SpongeG
Apr 25, 2007, 9:54 PM
Hong Kong budget airline to start Vancouver, B.C., flights

HONG KONG — Hong Kong-based budget carrier Oasis Airlines, which currently flies between Hong Kong and London, said today it will start operating flights to Vancouver, B.C., in late June.

The low-cost, long-haul airline will fly six days a week between Hong Kong and Vancouver International Airport for fares more than 40 percent lower than rival carriers, chairman Raymond Lee said.

One-way economy tickets, which go on sale from Wednesday, start from $254.60, the company said. Rival operator Cathay Pacific Airways charges about $1,279 for a round-trip for the same route during June.

Oasis, which was launched last October as the first Asian budget airline specializing in long-haul routes, said it has achieved a cash flow break-even in its first five months of operation. Its flights to London have been popular, Lee said, with economy class seats 90 to 98 percent occupied, Lee said. "The Hong Kong to Vancouver demand may be even higher than the Hong Kong to London one," he said. The airline has bought three more Boeing 747-400s from Japan's All Nippon Airways, expanding its flight to five, Lee said.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/traveloutdoors/2003679130_webbudgetairasia24.html

expect to see these here :tup:

http://www.airways.cz/images/novinky/oasis-hong-kong-boeing-747-400.jpg

G-Man
Apr 25, 2007, 10:21 PM
How can they make money? That is insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is cheaper than going to Calgary!

Hot Rod
Apr 26, 2007, 2:40 AM
^ by filling up the planes; which they surely will!!

excel
Apr 26, 2007, 3:01 AM
wow thats extremely cheap, i might just have to go for a weekend. (spend more time in the air than actully there)

twoNeurons
Apr 26, 2007, 3:08 PM
wow thats extremely cheap, i might just have to go for a weekend. (spend more time in the air than actully there)
cool. and it's a short hop over to Japan for those fares!

EastVanMark
Apr 27, 2007, 4:34 AM
Wow! Can't fly that cheap to some Canadian destinations. What's the catch? Does the return cost like three times as much?

Regardless, its a great sign for the GVRD that this company thought of Vancouver right after a heavyweight like London. Might start a wave of Asian carriers making similar runs all across Asia. That would not only mean big Bucks for YVR, but a mountain of money flowing through the whole region. Awesome!

deasine
Apr 27, 2007, 4:34 AM
Holy Mother THAT IS CHEAP!!!! Does anyone have any sites that reviewed this airline? I'm going to Hong Kong more often NOW!!!!!!

Edit: On the website, it says roundtrips start from 3980...? http://www.oasishongkong.com/hk/en/promotion.aspx?id=20070425 Is it because of booking early?

Hourglass
Apr 27, 2007, 6:50 AM
No catch. They don't try to ding you on the return. It's a typical low-cost model.

I've had friends who have travelled on Oasis from Hong Kong to London -- both in business and economy -- and they said it was fine. Obviously, you're not going to have lie-flat seats in business class or the range of AVOD that you might have on Cathay Pacific or Singapore Airlines, but otherwise it's quite nice.

Interestingly, they also provide meals and snacks gratis. You have to pay for booze, however.

If you want to hear the experiences of other people, check out: http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/oasis.htm

I'd definitely consider taking Oasis to YVR!

mezzanine
Apr 27, 2007, 7:43 AM
The $3980 is in HK$. That works out to ~$580CAD return.

Looks promising! Unfortunately, no canadian portal yet to their online booking page...

n a m
Apr 27, 2007, 2:28 PM
www.skybus.com

new online based airline lanuched recently in the US...

$10 flights!

the catch is you pay for everything else! and they plan to plaster everything with advertising...

phesto
Apr 27, 2007, 2:47 PM
www.skybus.com

new online based airline lanuched recently in the US...

$10 flights!

the catch is you pay for everything else! and they plan to plaster everything with advertising...

Great to see they're showing Vancouver on their routemap even though they're only planning a Bellingham-Columbus service.

RE:Oasis - they're planning a similar discounted service from Oakland-HKG starting this fall.

privatejet
Apr 27, 2007, 4:53 PM
^^Oasis is just waiting for CATA approval before selling to Canadian residents.

Coldrsx
Apr 27, 2007, 5:14 PM
holy crap...thats insanely cheap...im in!

Delirium
Apr 28, 2007, 12:46 AM
here's some pictures i found on flickr.com of the new terminal expansion..

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t290/vancouver_2007/424966394_d92baae67d.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t290/vancouver_2007/424966406_5e0c66c88e_b.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t290/vancouver_2007/424972476_8f370b141d_b.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t290/vancouver_2007/424966407_a8b58fae77_b.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t290/vancouver_2007/424972481_d9eb34abf1_b.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t290/vancouver_2007/424972466_65cff2ced0_b.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t290/vancouver_2007/424972472_76981c4a86_b.jpg

smasher000
Apr 28, 2007, 2:19 AM
kind of looks the same as the other terminals. is there anything new?

westcoast604
Apr 28, 2007, 2:58 AM
considering it's just an extention of the ITB, everything would likely be consistant.

deasine
Apr 28, 2007, 5:06 AM
^^Oasis is just waiting for CATA approval before selling to Canadian residents.

Well they better approve it. HEEHEE I love cheap fares. I heard that the airplane itself is pretty nice inside too... I think they have seats more spread out (as in wider space between rows). But then I heard a complaint about six hour delay. But that was in the beginning. Just don't fly late June, but maybe towards Christmas and they will fix everything up then.

SpongeG
Apr 28, 2007, 8:58 AM
i saw that about the cheap fares on CNN

you will have to pay for everything - even pay to check in

and the planes inside and outside will be plastered with advertising

they said a trip $10 advertised from columbus to say LA or pretty much each destination will end up costing around $70 - which is still quite cheap but not close to $10

deasine
May 8, 2007, 7:44 AM
Oasis approved by the Canadian Government. Tickets go on sale tomorrow supposedly. On the Oasis Website: http://www.oasishongkong.com/intro.aspx?p=111, there will be a Canadian section (probably done by the time you ppl read this). I'm excited for this airline and I think it will be very sucessful.

excel
May 8, 2007, 7:55 AM
Thanks for posting that. Good to have confirmation.

deasine
May 8, 2007, 11:09 PM
^They are giving away 1000 free tickets. Book now!

mr.x
May 8, 2007, 11:22 PM
^They are giving away 1000 free tickets. Book now!

where???? i can't find it on their site.

deasine
May 9, 2007, 1:18 AM
^ http://www.oasishongkong.com/ca/en/promotion.aspx?id=20070508B

giallo
May 9, 2007, 3:58 AM
^ What a godsend for someone like me. I'd much rather fly to Vancouver out of Hong Kong than Shanghai and with these prices I'd be crazy not to.

SpongeG
May 9, 2007, 4:29 AM
oot soldiers' comfort comes first
YVR's new gate to serve air commuters

Vancouver Airport Authority isn't forgetting the "foot soldiers of air travel" -- domestic passengers -- and yesterday opened Gate C-38, a $17-million regional commuter facility at the airport.

The gateway will primarily serve Vancouver International Airport's 30-plus destinations within B.C.

"We are proud of our role in keeping the people and businesses of B.C. connected," said Larry Berg, the authority's president and CEO. "These new commuter facilities will ensure that YVR remains both a regional and an international gateway for the province."

http://media.canada.com/06318f70-0582-4f10-95f4-7a067e4b45f4/airport.jpg?size=l

This 21,500-square-foot facility, designed with passenger comfort and convenience in mind, provides easier transfers for passengers making domestic flight connections.

It also provides shorter walking distances for passengers making U.S. and other international connections.

There is comfortable seating for 400, a children's play area and more than 1,200 square feet of future retail, food and beverage space, multiple television viewing areas, an Internet kiosk and wireless capability.

YVR's domestic traffic this year is expected to surpass the 8.7 million passengers served on 40,000-plus arrivals and departures last year.

The airport expects to serve a record 17.5 million passengers this year.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/money/story.html?id=f2113e5e-0dee-40e1-94b4-3fd498d65e4d&k=74410

SpongeG
May 9, 2007, 4:31 AM
Frontier Airlines Launches Vancouver Service Saturday (MAY 5)

DENVER, May 4 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Frontier Airlines will begin new service between its Denver International Airport (DEN) hub and Vancouver International Airport (YVR) in British Columbia, Canada, starting Saturday, May 5, 2007. Frontier became the first American low cost carrier to serve the Canadian air travel market with its inauguration of service between Calgary, Alberta and Denver on May 25, 2006.

Frontier's first flight will depart from Denver at 10 a.m., arriving in Vancouver at 12 p.m. The return flight will depart Vancouver at 12:55 p.m. and
arrive in Denver at 4:50 p.m.
The daily non-stop flight between Denver and Vancouver will utilize Frontier's Airbus A319 aircraft, featuring 33 inches of legroom plus 24 channels of DIRECTV(R) service and four pay-per-movies in every seatback.

Passengers traveling from Vancouver will enjoy convenient connections to 22 Frontier cities throughout the United States as well as, in the winter, four of Frontier's eight Mexican destinations: Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas and Guadalajara. For passengers traveling from Denver, the new service will commence just in time for the peak cruise season between Vancouver and Alaska.

Canada is Frontier's second international destination. Frontier began service to its first international destination, Mexico, when it began serving Cancun in December 2002.

"We are thrilled to show Vancouverites why we were voted 'Best Low Cost Carrier' by readers of Business Traveler magazine this December," said John Happ, Senior Vice President of Marketing and Planning for Frontier. "The two cities feature thriving business communities and offer travelers plenty of activities both indoors and out. Vancouver is the largest port for Alaskan cruises with over one million passengers per year and over 300 sailings, so we have created a summer schedule for our Denver and U.S. connecting passengers that takes advantage of the tremendous cruise market there. In October, we will change our schedule to provide ideal connections for our Vancouver passengers who want to travel to the stunning beaches of Mexico in the winter."

"We know Vancouverites will enjoy Frontier's low cost service to Denver for both business and leisure," said John Korenic, Director, Aviation Marketing, Vancouver Airport Authority. "Both cities offer access to world-class skiing, unique downtown areas and forward-thinking business communities. I'd like to welcome Frontier's Denver passengers to Vancouver and I'd also like to welcome other Frontier passengers connecting from 22 of Frontier's cities to Vancouver."

Following is the Vancouver flight schedule: Denver - Vancouver Flight Number Departs Arrives Frequency 631 10:00 a.m. 12:00 p.m. Daily Vancouver - Denver Flight Number Departs Arrives Frequency 632 12:55 p.m. 4:50 p.m. Daily All times given in local arrival or departure city times.

To celebrate the new Vancouver service, Frontier will offer double miles for travel between Denver and Vancouver through June 15, 2007, for members of EarlyReturns, Frontier Airlines' frequent flyer program. On April 26, 2007, voters chose EarlyReturns as the U.S. "Program of the Year" in InsideFlyer magazine's 19th annual Freddie Awards. Voters also recognized EarlyReturns as the Freddies' "Best Award" winner, and the program placed in six other award categories. To enroll, customers can visit Frontier's Web site at FrontierAirlines.com, pick up an EarlyReturns enrollment form at any Frontier airport counter or call Frontier's EarlyReturns Service Center toll-free hotline at 866-26-EARLY.

To enjoy low fares and convenient service to and from Vancouver, customers can book a flight on Frontier's Web site at FrontierAirlines.com, contact Frontier Airlines at 1-800-4321-FLY, or consult their professional travel agent.

http://www.pr-inside.com/frontier-airlines-launches-vancouver-service-r114821.htm

twoNeurons
May 9, 2007, 3:33 PM
^ http://www.oasishongkong.com/ca/en/promotion.aspx?id=20070508B

pretty sure all those tickets went yesterday.

tayser
May 19, 2007, 3:15 AM
I'm so tempted to book a sale fare as soon as China Southern start flying to Vancouver. The cheapest way to Vancouver from Australia is via Asia and at the moment you can fly via Taipei on China Airlines for $1376+tax (AUD).

scha-WING:

Oasis Hong Kong to Sydney/Melbourne?
Apparently they have scheduled OHK600/601 VHHH/HKG-YSSY/SYD-YMML/MEL-YSSY/SYD-VHHH/HKG from August 21. These flights will run daily departing Hong Kong 1855L, arriving back into Hong Kong at 2300L. They will connect on to the EGKK/LGW flights. This marks their entrance to the Kangaroo route.

Note the similar timings to the Virgin flights.

No information/promo in the wind yet regarding these flights.

If they can do Vancouver/Melbourne for $1200 (tax inclusive) return I'll be doing this all the way to the airport: :banana:

vanhattan
May 20, 2007, 3:43 AM
What is the flight time for the Oasis non stop YVR to HKG and HKG to YVR? Thanks. For some reason, I am somewhat time zone challenged when it comes to crossing the international date line. ;)

tayser
May 20, 2007, 4:36 AM
Fri, 27 Jul 2007 Dep. YVR 18:00 Arr. HKG 22:15+1 13:15 O8 901
Mon, 06 Aug 2007 Dep. HKG 18:15 Arr. YVR 15:00 11:45 O8 900
lose a day from North America to Asia, gain one from Asia to North America.

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gcmap?PATH=YVR-hkg-YVR

vanhattan
May 23, 2007, 9:31 AM
Fri, 27 Jul 2007 Dep. YVR 18:00 Arr. HKG 22:15+1 13:15 O8 901
Mon, 06 Aug 2007 Dep. HKG 18:15 Arr. YVR 15:00 11:45 O8 900
lose a day from North America to Asia, gain one from Asia to North America.

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gcmap?PATH=YVR-hkg-YVR

Thanks Taser. Not as long of a flight as I thought.

smasher000
May 25, 2007, 12:40 AM
^ why is there such a huge arch? cant' they go in a straight line?

mr.x
May 25, 2007, 1:11 AM
^ why is there such a huge arch? cant' they go in a straight line?

i think it has to do with avoiding flying into the jet stream.....which is also why it takes much longer to fly to Asia than flying back.

excel
May 25, 2007, 1:42 AM
no it is flying on a great circle route. the earths radius is smaller at the poles, it saves time flying closer to the poles. also jet streams form in different places all year round.

cjohnny4
May 25, 2007, 2:21 AM
That is acutally the shortest distance. Fire up Google Earth and use the ruler function to measure the distance from Vancouver to Hong Kong. If you plot a path from Vancouver to HK straight across (no arch) you will see that it is MUCH further than the arch going along the coastline past Alaska. Try it!

tayser
May 25, 2007, 1:09 PM
even trippier ;)

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gcmap?PATH=YVR-LHR

bookmark this site: http://gc.kls2.com/ oodles and hours of fun for all the family! :)

this is probably as straight-a-long line as you'll get on long-haul from YVR across the pacific:

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gcmap?PATH=YVR-MEL

Canadian Mind
May 25, 2007, 2:55 PM
no it is flying on a great circle route. the earths radius is smaller at the poles, it saves time flying closer to the poles. also jet streams form in different places all year round.

your definition of a great circle route is a bit off too... it has nothing to do with the poles.

I'm not very good at definitions so i'll provide a hand on experiment someone can try a person can try.

take a basket ball and set it with one of the crosses (the poles of the ball where ends meet) on a flat level surface. no mark two points on the surface of the ball about a third of the way around from each other (one dot at 12 o'clock, one at 4). take a strin and go straight across the face of the ball to connect the points. Rotate the face of the ball up 45 degrees. if you look at it now head on (as you would at the earth on a map) the string should appear to go in an arch and not a straight line.

twoNeurons
May 25, 2007, 3:12 PM
^ in other words... it IS a straight line. but when you flatten a globe, straight lines become bell curves.

SpongeG
May 28, 2007, 8:00 AM
there is a route that goes from chicao to beijing that goes north over canada and north pole etc and into china that way

there was a whole show on discovery channel once about the route and how it was the quickest route

phesto
May 29, 2007, 9:27 PM
Various news:

-China Eastern will offer PVG-YVR-JFK service beginning in September w/ A340-600. Looks like they're trying to compete with CX and AC for JFK...

-Jade Cargo will operate a 2x weekly SZN-YVR-IAH via 744 beginning this fall.

-NW will be going back to year-round service on YVR-MSP, it had been dropped to seasonal service last year.

Also:

Premium Pay-Per-Use Lounge Opens In Domestic Terminal

Domestic passengers travelling out of YVR can now enjoy a first-class lounge experience at YVR’s new Plaza Premium Lounge, located post-security at the junction between A and B piers in the Domestic Terminal. Open to all domestic passengers, regardless of airline, travel class or membership programs, the Plaza Premium Lounge offers spectacular runway views, comfortable seating, refreshments and business services for a $25 entrance fee.

Owned and operated by Plaza Premium Lounge Management Limited, the concept comes to YVR from Asia, where it is popular with business travellers and vacationers alike at airports in China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, and Singapore. YVR was a natural fit for the pay-per-use lounge model, given the airport’s position as the premier North American gateway to Asia.

“For several years, our international travellers have been enjoying the existing Plaza Premium Lounge in the International Terminal, and we’re pleased to now extend this premium lounge experience to our domestic travellers,” said Christopher Gilliland, manager, retail sales and services, Vancouver Airport Authority. “This popular service is yet another way that we strive to offer our customers an enjoyable travelling experience at YVR.”

Features of note include comfortable seating for 100, computers equipped with Internet access, plus full Wi-Fi capability throughout the lounge. Refreshments included breakfast, lunch and dinner, light snacks and espresso beverages. Draught beer, wine and spirits are also available for purchase. Current newspapers and magazines, television entertainment and carry-on baggage storage round out the lounge experience. Staffed by 10 friendly service professionals, the 600- square-metre lounge is open daily from 6 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.

The Plaza Premium Lounge experience is also available to passengers travelling to international destinations out of YVR. Immediately post-security in YVR’s International Terminal, refreshments, business services and sleeping areas are available to international passengers for a $30 entrance fee. Discounted rates and annual memberships are available to frequent travellers for both lounges. More information on the Plaza Premium Lounge experience is available at www.plaza-asia.com.

excel
May 29, 2007, 10:34 PM
Great news about Jade cargo. Always like to hear about new air carriers coming into vancouver.

SEA-TOWN
May 31, 2007, 3:17 AM
Various news:

-China Eastern will offer PVG-YVR-JFK service beginning in September w/ A340-600. Looks like they're trying to compete with CX and AC for JFK...

-Jade Cargo will operate a 2x weekly SZN-YVR-IAH via 744 beginning this fall.

-NW will be going back to year-round service on YVR-MSP, it had been dropped to seasonal service last year.

The China Eastern flight is being routed through YVR because the JFK flight is averaging load factors of about 60%, which is not profitable. The predictions for this winter are even worse, hence their discontinuation of the nonstop service. It is not meant to compete with CX or AC but to keep JFK as a destination.

If anyone was wondering, I believe the NW YVR-MSP will be with CRJ-900s, better than nothing I suppose...

vanhattan
Jun 5, 2007, 6:17 AM
The customs area at YVR just received a huge LED marque over the customs booths. It shows short clips of Vancouver, Arrival baggage carrousel information, customs info, a clock, etc. I had my hands full so I did not take a photo, will try to when back through in a couple of weeks.

mr.x
Jun 5, 2007, 6:23 AM
The customs area at YVR just received a huge LED marque over the customs booths. It shows short clips of Vancouver, Arrival baggage carrousel information, customs info, a clock, etc. I had my hands full so I did not take a photo, will try to when back through in a couple of weeks.

I hope they replace the big tv screen at the food court....it's low quality is embarassing.

Hourglass
Jun 5, 2007, 9:39 AM

Much needed, I'd say. Now if they could only do something about the long queues at immigration during peak periods...

Unfortunately, the clock will only serve to remind people how long they've been waiting.

Coldrsx
Jun 6, 2007, 2:54 AM
The China Eastern flight is being routed through YVR because the JFK flight is averaging load factors of about 60%, which is not profitable. The predictions for this winter are even worse, hence their discontinuation of the nonstop service. It is not meant to compete with CX or AC but to keep JFK as a destination.

If anyone was wondering, I believe the NW YVR-MSP will be with CRJ-900s, better than nothing I suppose...

that is interesting...the PVG-YVR-JFK.

Edmonton is apparently being looked at for a PVG-YEG-(phili)

vanhattan
Jun 6, 2007, 6:20 AM
Much needed, I'd say. Now if they could only do something about the long queues at immigration during peak periods...

Unfortunately, the clock will only serve to remind people how long they've been waiting.

lol, yes I know what you mean. I was just thinking standing in line the other day that it is time - and way overdue - for a nexus pass application. Although, I do appreciate the new baggage information however I admit the video clips of Vancouver were rather lame.