PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136

Gordon
Mar 24, 2014, 11:14 PM
Does anyone have any pier A\B connector construction updates?

vanlaw
Mar 25, 2014, 4:06 PM
Initial destinations from YVR - San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Anchorage with winter service to Phoenix:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-canada-rouge-details-roll-out-in-vancouver-calgary-1.2585529

Gordon
Mar 25, 2014, 4:34 PM
a 4th fight to Phoenix\day in the winter. Does yvr need that much capacity to phx?

usog
Mar 25, 2014, 6:07 PM
So, so happy I jumped ship to Alaska Air from Air Canada. Any updates on the Delta YVR-SEA flights? Haven't been able to book them yet it seems.

Jebby
Mar 25, 2014, 6:58 PM
a 4th fight to Phoenix\day in the winter. Does yvr need that much capacity to phx?

Phoenix is a major hub for Southwest and US Airways. If you want to fly from Vancouver to much of southwest US you can do so transferring in Phoenix.

nname
Mar 25, 2014, 7:16 PM
Once US Airways leaves Star Alliance and joins Oneworld on April, there will be no Star Alliance service between Vancouver to Phoenix. It is reasonable for AC to fill in the gap and take the alliance passenger load.

Now both USAir and AA fly to Phoenix and they will be in the same alliance (and be the same company). If anyone going to pull out, I think it would probably be one of them.

Johnny Aussie
Mar 25, 2014, 7:48 PM
Once US Airways leaves Star Alliance and joins Oneworld on April, there will be no Star Alliance service between Vancouver to Phoenix. It is reasonable for AC to fill in the gap and take the alliance passenger load.

Now both USAir and AA fly to Phoenix and they will be in the same alliance (and be the same company). If anyone going to pull out, I think it would probably be one of them.

AA is just code sharing on US.

It really will depend on what the new AA does with PHX if that route is to stay or not.

Gordon
Mar 25, 2014, 8:00 PM
will the U S air flights to phx be
westjet codeshares codeshares when the US Air\ AA merger is completed?

AC will use A319s with 136 seats for the Rouge services.

Johnny Aussie
Mar 25, 2014, 11:11 PM
Well that certainly explains why all the E90s on the transborder flights were replaced with A319s.

That leaves EWR as the only AC mainline transborder route from YVR.

Certainly is a big boost in capacity though going from 93-seaters to 138-seaters plus the additional PHX flight for the winter scheds.

Just waiting to get the email re:sched change / seat change for an upcoming YVR-LAX flight. Fingers crossed they don't touch HNL-YVR before my next flight! I'm doing an NZ circle trip with stopover in HNL on the way to Canada.

SFUVancouver
Mar 27, 2014, 10:01 PM
YVR rated No. 1 airport in North America, ninth in the world

Vancouver Sun March 27, 2014 2:43 PM

Vancouver International Airport has been named the No. 1 airport in North America for the fifth consecutive year by Skytrax World Airport Awards.

YVR was again also rated one of the world's best airports, and was the only North American airport included in the global top 10.

In the top 10 best North American airports, Toronto's Pearson took fifth place and Halifax's Stanfield took seventh place, beating out New York's JFK airport.

The Skytrax ranking, known in the travel industry as the Passenger Choice Awards, are considered a global benchmark of airport excellence. Awards are based on millions of independent surveys of passengers. This year's awards compiled the results of 12.85 million surveys completed by customers of 110 different nationalities at 410 airports worldwide. Surveys measured the travel experience of 39 airport service categories, including arrivals and check-in, security and border clearance processes, along with shopping, service and dining options.

[snip]

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/rated+airport+North+America+ninth+world/9669635/story.html#ixzz2xCeXxwD0

Canada did very well in this year’s survey of travellers:

YVR came in 1st for North America, was the 9th place airport overall in the world, plus it was 1st globally in the 10-20 million passenger category, and 2nd place in North America for staff. The Fairmont Hotel at the YVR was the best airport hotel in North America.
Toronto came in 5th place in North America and 9th globally in the 30-40 million passenger category.
Halifax is the 7th best airport in North America, it took 3rd place globally in the under 5 million passenger airport category, and it took 3rd place in North America for the regional airports category.

Here is the link to the Skytrax Global Airport Awards category top 10 lists: http://www.worldairportawards.com/Awards_2014/Categories.htm

connect2source
Mar 28, 2014, 12:02 AM
Wow that's great for YVR!!!!

Having travelled extensively through Europe and Asia in the past couple of years I've always noted that YVR is exceptionally clean and spacious. It seems to have far more room than required for the just under 18M passengers / year it handles.

Strengths I've noted

Overall Maintenance and Upkeep :

Very clean and well maintained, just compare it to the relatively new T1 at YYZ, which is filthy, over-crowded, very worn, shabby and not well maintained for being just a few years old.

Retail :

Exceptional selection of duty-free shopping in the International Departures area, far more than any other Canadian Airport and on a par with the likes of second-tier European gateways such as Copenhagen, Brussels and Stockholm.

CATSA :

Relatively fast security clearance, even when there's crowds it always seems to move quickly.

Improvements and Expansion :

Constantly improving, in the past fives years we've gotten the link-building, Canada Line, C Pier extension and renovation and now the B Pier re-construction.

Areas Needing Improvement

Dining Selection :

When compared to European of Asian Gateways, our selection is basically food court fare or chains like Milestones or White Spot. In European Airports, there are many innovative bar-restaurants featuring gourmet seafoods, brick-oven pizzas, there are sophisticated wine and champagne bars as well as amazing grab-and-go places like Pret-A-Manger. Most Canadian Airports could do with far more innovation in the food sector.

Domestic Baggage Claim :

Small, outdated, far too little space and capacity and luggage seems to take forever.

Overall, however, a great facility!

Johnny Aussie
Mar 28, 2014, 10:37 AM
Saw on twitter from airlineroute.net that Korean Air has commenced twice weekly B744F flights on a ICN-ANC-DFW-GDL-YVR-ICN routing.

Flights operating on Thursdays and Saturdays departs YVR at 1530. Confirmed the times on the Korean Air Cargo online schedules tool. Departs at 15:50 before daylight savings kicks in.

Korean Air source here ----> http://cargo.koreanair.com/eng/main_page.jsp then click on "2014 Summer schedule notice" down in the "News/Notice" section.

So this should be YVR's third dedicated Asian cargo carrier along with CX (currently 3x weekly) and CZ (currently 4x weekly)

Johnny Aussie
Mar 29, 2014, 2:35 AM
YVR twitter posted this regarding new YVR-HND flight on ANA for Sunday's launch....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bj2feWTCcAANyoV.jpg

Denscity
Mar 29, 2014, 7:40 AM
Saw on twitter from airlineroute.net that Korean Air has commenced twice weekly B744F flights on a ICN-DFW-GDL-YVR-ICN routing.

Flights operating on Thursdays and Saturdays departs YVR at 1530. Confirmed the times on the Korean Air Cargo online schedules tool. Departs at 15:50 before daylight savings kicks in.

Korean Air source here ----> http://cargo.koreanair.com/eng/main_page.jsp then click on "2014 Summer schedule notice" down in the "News/Notice" section.

So this should be YVR's third dedicated Asian cargo carrier along with CX (currently 3x weekly) and CZ (currently 4x weekly)

Another 747 for Vancouver! :tup::tup:

cyeg66
Mar 30, 2014, 9:54 PM
Just saw this.
http://www.yvr.ca/en/about/facts-stats.aspx

Very nice growth figure again. 6.7% by my count (but then again, I'm a little stoopid sometimes ;) )

Johnny Aussie
Mar 30, 2014, 10:00 PM
Just saw this.
http://www.yvr.ca/en/about/facts-stats.aspx

Very nice growth figure again. 6.7% by my count (but then again, I'm a little stoopid sometimes ;) )

Yup a solid result in all categories. And cargo stats looking great too. Really looking good all around.

Johnny Aussie
Mar 30, 2014, 10:08 PM
Just touched down on 08L.

Have had a mega avgeek morning.

Just spent the last half hour tracking NH116 on Flightradar24 and Live ATC.

Been a good week for YVR. Good traffic results for Feb, Korean Air Cargo launching twice weekly 74F freighters and now ANA has arrived.

Denscity
Mar 30, 2014, 10:12 PM
Sweet!!
Just wondering what the service difference is between ANA and JAL on a flight to Tokyo from Vancouver?

Johnny Aussie
Mar 30, 2014, 10:23 PM
Sweet!!
Just wondering what the service difference is between ANA and JAL on a flight to Tokyo from Vancouver?

Maybe you should try both and report on the comparisons. :P

Being a loyal *Alliance passenger good to have yet another option to get to Canada.

casper
Mar 31, 2014, 1:28 AM
Sweet!!

I have been on of the regional ANA flights (Narita to Taipei) so its hard to generalize based on a single flight. However, that said, in flight service was excellent.

teriyaki
Mar 31, 2014, 2:38 AM
Sweet!!

IMO, the JAL service will beat the ANA one in terms of hard product. The 767 they send to YVR has their newest cabin interior (I believe this is still the one they send). They also send their newest 787 to Vancouver.

SFUVancouver
Mar 31, 2014, 2:40 AM
Just touched down on 08L.

Have had a mega avgeek morning.

Just spent the last half hour tracking NH116 on Flightradar24 and Live ATC.

Been a good week for YVR. Good traffic results for Feb, Korean Air Cargo launching twice weekly 74F freighters and now ANA has arrived.

YVR's excellent Skytrax rating as well.

Great news on ANA. I swore I saw it fly out this evening. Do you know when it departed to return to Japan?

Johnny Aussie
Mar 31, 2014, 3:01 AM
Great news on ANA. I swore I saw it fly out this evening. Do you know when it departed to return to Japan?

Yes I do in fact!

According to flightradar24.com NH115 departed (in this case they use take-off time) YVR at 17:13

Also you can use flightaware.com which also tracks live flights.

Pushback (Terminal M) scheduled: 16:50 PDT actual: 16:58 PDT
Takeoff from CYVR actual: 17:12 PDT

NH115 is presently at 32,000ft over the western end of Kodiak Island, Alaska en-route back to Haneda.

SFUVancouver
Mar 31, 2014, 5:29 AM
Yes I do in fact!

According to flightradar24.com NH115 departed (in this case they use take-off time) YVR at 17:13

Also you can use flightaware.com which also tracks live flights.

Pushback (Terminal M) scheduled: 16:50 PDT actual: 16:58 PDT
Takeoff from CYVR actual: 17:12 PDT

NH115 is presently at 32,000ft over the western end of Kodiak Island, Alaska en-route back to Haneda.

Ha! I did see it. I was walking home from the Skytrain in Richmond at exactly that time this evening and I looked over my shoulder when I heard a plane take off (as I do, since I'm also an avgeek) and I thought I saw the ANA livery.

trofirhen
Mar 31, 2014, 10:18 AM
It seems that Lima is in the pipe, but not for the immediate future. It would be good to have that gateway to the South American market. (Apparently, LAN Peru could theoretically start Vancouver service straight away if the chose to; the bilateral there is very open, I am told).

connect2source
Mar 31, 2014, 1:39 PM
Passenger numbers up 7.8% overall from 2013, February - February!.. with Asia - Pacific up 14%! wow!!! another great month at YVR, 2014 looks to be huge!

http://www.yvr.ca/Libraries/Aviation_Marketing/rpt_Traffic_Update_Feb_2014.sflb.ashx

Denscity
Mar 31, 2014, 6:52 PM
Passenger numbers up 7.8% overall from 2013, February - February!.. with Asia - Pacific up 14%! wow!!! another great month at YVR, 2014 looks to be huge!

http://www.yvr.ca/Libraries/Aviation_Marketing/rpt_Traffic_Update_Feb_2014.sflb.ashx

The best airport in North America is getting even better!! :cheers::cheers:

Johnny Aussie
Mar 31, 2014, 7:17 PM
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.651125954925202.1073741871.205080116196457&type=1

And here is their video of the inaugural flight.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/blog/posts/All_Nippon_Airways_Inaugural_Video.aspx

I really like this video... Good to see YVR really stepping up with its new service announcements. In the past sometimes you barely got a press release. I think the new CEO is behind this.

Johnny Aussie
Apr 3, 2014, 4:54 AM
Look for even more flights up north out of YVR....

http://www.biv.com/article/20140401/BIV0344/140339987/airport-investment-key-to-ensuring-bcs-economic-growth-achieves

Although it looks like CMA is quietly dropping the YXT-YXS-YYC flights... No flights scheduled after 27 June. Westjet may have pushed them out before Westjet even starts its first YXS-YYC flight.

Johnny Aussie
Apr 3, 2014, 7:14 PM
So next up is Icelandair!

Flights to KEF due to commence May 14th.

Icelandair is doing a scaVANgerhunt to promote this service.

Similar to what they have done for other new service launches like the recent YEG service and also similar to China Southern's recent promo for its daily YVR-CAN 787 flights.

Have fun with it YVR!

http://www.icelandair.ca/scavangerhunt

Johnny Aussie
Apr 4, 2014, 12:56 AM
Still very early, but....

Looks like Freeport (Bahamas) and Punta Cana are being added to the list of sun destinations offered by Sunwing out of YVR this upcoming winter.

twoNeurons
Apr 4, 2014, 9:23 PM
Sweet!!

They're very comparable. Both great service. Big difference is the airline alliance. I've flown on both domestically in Japan.

I'm slightly partial to ANA just because we were on an internal domestic black plane that was 100% business class and was very nice.

Denscity
Apr 4, 2014, 9:36 PM
Ya Ive taken JAL Vancouver to Tokyo and was very satisfied right down to the steamed towel after dinner just like in a Japanese restaurant.

trofirhen
Apr 4, 2014, 10:24 PM
Great to see Icelandair starting up this summer. Great connection point for the big Scandinavian, and other European cities, of course, but also for oil cities, like Stavanger.
Too bad Icelandair can't stay around longer than just summer.
They're going great guns with their publicity ....

sacrifice333
Apr 4, 2014, 11:21 PM
Great to see Icelandair starting up this summer. Great connection point for the big Scandinavian, and other European cities, of course, but also for oil cities, like Stavanger.
Too bad Icelandair can't stay around longer than just summer.
They're going great guns with their publicity ....

A starting point, I guess. They're year-round out of SEA.

trofirhen
Apr 4, 2014, 11:27 PM
A starting point, I guess. They're year-round out of SEA.
Yeah, I know. Of course, Seattle has a large Scandinavian population base, and that would seem to explain part of it.

Johnny Aussie
Apr 5, 2014, 1:18 AM
A starting point, I guess.

Exactly... It is is a starting point.

Don't forget YVR is still a very seasonal destination. Particularly transborder and Europe.

Also, Icelandair is up against, for direct flights to Europe:

AC, BA and VS to LHR
LH to FRA and MUC
KL to AMS
TS to LGW, MAN, GLA, AMS, CDG and FRA
DE to FRA
WK to ZRH

FI is just 2 of approx 70 weekly flights to Europe from YVR this summer. And the smallest aircraft by far of the flights to Europe.
Compared to YEG where they have already increased service and extended to year-round where there is barely any competition at all with AC pulling the YEG-LHR winter flights.
Obviously they are testing the YVR waters but they have stats and info that must indicate this a worthwhile venture.
In any event it is great to see FI promoting this route with their clever marketing.
Also good to see YVRAA promote new routes without dissing other routes. Just focus on the positives without highlighting perceived negatives with other competing airports/routes.

Johnny Aussie
Apr 5, 2014, 2:14 AM
After a couple of days of cancellations due to the pilots strike, Lufthansa is back in the air.

Both LH493 (744) to FRA and LH477 (333) to MUC recently departed.

The seasonal MUC flights commenced earlier this year (30 March) only to have the last couple of flights cancelled.

Good to see both birds on their way!

Johnny Aussie
Apr 5, 2014, 2:48 AM
Been awhile since that name has popped up anywhere.

Apparently there is a TV show called The Next Biggest Winner in Canada.

This weekend there is an episode, episode 25, featuring Jim Young, president, and David Solloway, CCO, to discuss Canada Jetlines's "new low cost carrier option."

Perhaps some YVR avgeeks should check it out.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/magna-resources-canada-jetlines-and-petrichor-energy-inc-featured-on-episode-25-of-the-next-biggest-winner-tv-show-this-weekend-2014-04-03-111732919?reflink=MW_news_stmp

Klazu
Apr 5, 2014, 4:34 AM
I would like to try Icelandair back home this coming Christmas, as the route via Reykjavik would be the shortest possible. Unfortunately their service sounds pretty low-cost in the Economy Class. Also, I haven't seen that great prices during the last few times I have browsed their website.

Iceland would make for an interesting stopover for few days, but it's so darn expensive. Their economic downturn didn't bring prices down enough for it to be that attractive option. Shame, as it looks like a beautiful and interesting country. :(

Johnny Aussie
Apr 5, 2014, 5:08 AM
I would like to try Icelandair back home this coming Christmas, as the route via Reykjavik would be the shortest possible. Unfortunately their service sounds pretty low-cost in the Economy Class. Also, I haven't seen that great prices during the last few times I have browsed their website.

Iceland would make for an interesting stopover for few days, but it's so darn expensive. Their economic downturn didn't bring prices down enough for it to be that attractive option. Shame, as it looks like a beautiful and interesting country. :(

Icelandair is only seasonal from May - October so they won't be available to fly you home for Christmas. I bet you could probably get a package though the airline. Maybe they do something similar to Singapore Airlines stopover. Where you can get an accommodation package for as little as $1 for one night. I kid u not! I doubt they would have anything that attractive but look into it.

Johnny Aussie
Apr 5, 2014, 7:52 PM
In typical UA style, another scheds tweak for summer. They seem to be working on a 3 months out system with minor changes occurring frequently. Of course this may change again later.

YVR highlights:
IAH - 4th flight added on Sundays (in bound extra flight on Saturdays)
SFO - 6th flight added on Saturdays (Express)
DEN - mainline replacing an Express on Sundays (so 3 mainline and 1 Express on Sundays)

Other than that the usual equipment changes... good to see a few 739s being added.

Interesting route is the new daily IAD. Everyday seems to have different equipment. A mix of 319, 73G, 738 and 739. Gotta love UA.

zahav
Apr 6, 2014, 8:32 AM
A few general YVR development updates coming up:

Overnight May 6-7: YVR is doing another gate renumbering of the domestic terminal, in preparation for the new A-B pier expansion (phase 1 is opening early this summer, which will be new gates near the start of the former B-Pier). Noticebable changes are:
-All the Wetjet Encore ground loading positions will be the only ones to have the "A" designation now; all regular jet bridges in the former A & B piers will be "B" gates now.. so the current "A1-4" gates will be "B" gates... And the renumbering works backward from "C50", so all the current "C" gates will be renumbered starting from the current "C46" which will become the new "C49" and this renumbering will continue all the way down to the old "A" gates.. hope this all makes sense lol
-There 4-phase A-B connector project is well underway, i should have photos next week. This is quite a big undertaking, and fixing a major ugly part of the airport... They are expaning the baggage claim on the arrivals level too, as anyone who has arrived on any of the A or B gates knows, it is currently a tiny little old escalator that takes you to baggage claim, and is pitiful and very dated compared to all the rest of YVR, so majorly needed
-They are starting work on the 2nd phase of the ETF (Expedited Transfer Facilities) which are a faster way of moving passengers from international to domestic, and the other way.. they are building a big addition along the C50-C52 area, so there will be a "sterile" corridor from international to domestic. hard to explain all the details, but is a big project

I will post more updates soon :)

Johnny Aussie
Apr 6, 2014, 9:20 AM
A few general YVR development updates coming up:

I will post more updates soon :)

Great. Thanks for that. Always interesting to get some inside info on happenings. The A/B project has really been a big mystery from day 1.

You are so right though... definitely an area long overdue for an upgrade.

Keep it up!

YVR Bruce
Apr 6, 2014, 4:56 PM
At one point back in the 2004-2006 there was a rumour of Air Tahiti Nui coming to town. At that time the impetus was likely to skirt new US controls on the French at LAX on what was otherwise a domestic flight for many of them.

It always made sense to me that ATN might open the route, given it would probably support 2/wk YVR-PPT and 1/wk YVR-CDG in our winter and vice versa in the Summer.

trofirhen
Apr 6, 2014, 6:46 PM
At one point back in the 2004-2006 there was a rumour of Air Tahiti Nui coming to town. At that time the impetus was likely to skirt new US controls on the French at LAX on what was otherwise a domestic flight for many of them.

It always made sense to me that ATN might open the route, given it would probably support 2/wk YVR-PPT and 1/wk YVR-CDG in our winter and vice versa in the Summer.
Wouldn't that be great! Thanks to Air Canada's interference, AF went to Seattle, and now their partner Delta has SEA-CDG daily.

SFUVancouver
Apr 7, 2014, 5:51 AM
http://i.imgur.com/SHzeS1L.jpg?1
I took this April 6th 2014.

LeftCoaster
Apr 7, 2014, 4:19 PM

I took the Icelandair flight home from Stockholm to YYZ last summer and it was fantastic. Couldn't recommend it more.

It cuts an 8-9 hour flight almost perfectly in half and the layover there can be several days long with no charges, so I spend 3 days bombing around the island in a rented car. Definitely a nice little bonus post vacation.

Only drawback is yes it is hideously expensive, made Stockholm seem cheap!

Johnny Aussie
Apr 17, 2014, 2:00 PM
I see a 744F from Atlas Air arriving from ORD right now on flightradar24.

Is this a regular visitor to YVR?

Also in the last few minutes saw 4 other freighters land. 2 UPS, 1 FedEx and a Morningstar Air Express. Cargo stats seem to indicate an uptick in cargo action at YVR.

Genauso
Apr 17, 2014, 6:52 PM
(pics of Canada Post facility)
My photo, taken March 20th, 2014.

Canada Post facility (http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/business/productsservices/canada_post_facility.jsf)
Canada Post will open a brand new facility near the Vancouver International Airport. The new 700,000 sq. ft. facility will be called the Canada Post Pacific Processing Centre (PPC) and will be located at 5940 Ferguson Road in Richmond.

As part of a nationwide Postal Transformation effort which began in 2008, Canada Post will relocate its operations from both the Vancouver Mail Processing Plant at 349 West Georgia Street and the Vancouver Parcel Distribution Centre at 2551 No. 6 Road (Richmond) into the new facility. The Vancouver transition will take place in two phases:

on February 24, customers currently depositing mail at the Vancouver Parcel Distribution Centre (VPDC) will move to the PPC,
followed by Vancouver Mail Processing Plant (VMPP) customers on March 17.

For commercial customers with small and medium volume mailings, limited deposit will be offered at 349 West Georgia Street once the new facility opens and the Receipt Verification Unit (RVU) is relocated.

I guess we're waiting on an official closure date for the downtown facility?

I see a 744F from Atlas Air arriving from ORD right now on flightradar24.

Is this a regular visitor to YVR?

Also in the last few minutes saw 4 other freighters land. 2 UPS, 1 FedEx and a Morningstar Air Express. Cargo stats seem to indicate an uptick in cargo action at YVR.

I couldn't tell you if it was a regular visitor, but flighstats and flightaware do show it going onward to Guam. Cool about cargo service, hopefully Amazon service keeps getting better.

SFUVancouver
Apr 17, 2014, 11:51 PM
The Canada Post facility at YVR is up and running and apparently encountering some hiccups with their new automated sorting setup. That assessment is from CUPE, so no vested interest there for keeping people doing 100% of the sorting.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/canada-post-richmond-plant-causing-major-mail-delays-says-union-1.2611539

whatnext
Apr 20, 2014, 5:57 PM
It looks as though YVR is widening the Templeton St/Canada Line overpass to accommodate the mall and/or Canada Post traffic. It also seems as though the new road running along the south side of the mall is extended to Airport Rd (Grauer Rd), though I can't figure out why, as Airport doesn't currently connect to Russ Baker.

connect2source
Apr 20, 2014, 7:33 PM
It looks as though YVR is widening the Templeton St/Canada Line overpass to accommodate the mall and/or Canada Post traffic. It also seems as though the new road running along the south side of the mall is extended to Airport Rd (Grauer Rd), though I can't figure out why, as Airport doesn't currently connect to Russ Baker.

Now they also need to remove those ridiculous and dangerous, yield-to-oncoming traffic narrowings on Templeton, that everyone ignores and that will ultimately result in a head-on collision with all the increased truck traffic.

SFUVancouver
Apr 21, 2014, 7:31 AM
Saw a Lufthansa 747 this evening depart from YVR. I didn't get a good enough look to be sure, but I think it was a 747-800.

deasine
Apr 21, 2014, 10:28 AM
Saw a Lufthansa 747 this evening depart from YVR. I didn't get a good enough look to be sure, but I think it was a 747-800.

They are only flying their 747-400s here.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DLH493/history/20140420/2310Z/CYVR/EDDF

SFUVancouver
Apr 21, 2014, 4:13 PM
^ Ah. Too bad. Thanks for the info.

I snapped a photo of the Lufthansa 747-?00 and I hoped that looking at it later would help me note the tells of whether it was a 748i (redesigned wingtips and those beautiful massive GEnx chevroned engines). The photo was not helpful.

http://i.imgur.com/AJ56R8G.jpg?1
My photo, taken April 20th 2014.

trofirhen
Apr 21, 2014, 5:07 PM

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DLH493/history/20140420/2310Z/CYVR/EDDF

^ Ah. Too bad. Thanks for the info.
I made a trip home on a LH A340. Nice plane.

SFUVancouver
Apr 21, 2014, 7:51 PM
I made a trip home on a LH A340. Nice plane.

While I haven't had the chance to fly either plane, I do think A340 is magnificent, particularly if they stretch it into the A340-900, but the 748i is simply sublime; the pinnacle of commercial aviation.

Johnny Aussie
Apr 21, 2014, 9:43 PM

LH also flies a daily A330-300 to MUC.

Johnny Aussie
Apr 21, 2014, 9:47 PM
US Airways is adding a third daily flight to PHX for the peak summer schedule.

Daily CR9 departing at 11:05.

Flight will run from 2 July - 18 August.

whatnext
Apr 21, 2014, 11:58 PM
While I haven't had the chance to fly either plane, I do think A340 is magnificent, particularly if they stretch it into the A340-900, but the 748i is simply sublime; the pinnacle of commercial aviation.

? A340 production is over. 4 engines 4 longhaul is no longer necessary. A nice plane but eclipsed by it's more practical sister, the A330.

deasine
Apr 22, 2014, 3:08 AM
I didn't have time until now to upload/post this, just for you guys. Click for full res.

http://i.imgur.com/leho9jd.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/aYXGxJF.jpg)

metroXpress
Apr 22, 2014, 3:46 AM
^Very nice aerial shot of the entire airport terminal buildings. You should put it up on Wikipedia. I'm assuming this was taken in flight?

Johnny Aussie
Apr 22, 2014, 3:55 AM
I didn't have time until now to upload/post this, just for you guys. Click for full res.

Impressive shot! When was it taken? I see a LH 346 and a JAL 763 so am tipping at least a couple of months old?

Good work!

Gordon
Apr 22, 2014, 3:56 AM
Thanks for the aerial of the Airport. The 1st phanse for the Pier A\B connector proect is scheduled to open at the end of May

deasine
Apr 22, 2014, 4:59 AM
Impressive shot! When was it taken? I see a LH 346 and a JAL 763 so am tipping at least a couple of months old?

Good work!

No actually this was taken March 17 so it's not that old!

SFUVancouver
Apr 22, 2014, 5:30 AM
^ Fantastic aerial! Thank you. I second the comment that this is worth uploading to Wikipedia.

cyeg66
Apr 22, 2014, 2:33 PM
Slick pic. I really enjoy aerial shots of airport terminals.

metroXpress
Apr 23, 2014, 5:46 PM
What is this facility for? Looks like a fire dept? This is on Runway 8L.

http://i.imgur.com/E4D7a8Sl.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/E4D7a8S.jpg)

(Click to enlarge.)

SFUVancouver
Apr 23, 2014, 5:54 PM
^ It's YVR's new operations centre and it will, indeed, host the airport's fire department. Incidentally, nice photo of Cathay's B777-300ER: my favourite plane and livery. I was very pleased to take that handsome aircraft to and from Johannesburg recently, via Hong Kong, and I'm very keen in the years ahead to see how the 777X differs and improves on an already outstanding aircraft.

metroXpress
Apr 23, 2014, 5:59 PM
It's YVR's new operations centre and it will, indeed, host the airport's fire department. Incidentally, nice photo of Cathay's B777-300ER: my favourite plane and livery.

Gotcha! Those doors indeed look like they can host fire trucks. Cathay in the picture was taxing a long time that day and was holding short for take off. A beautiful bird indeed! We don't get enough 777-300ER service in Vancouver. PAL, AC, CX...that's it?

excel
Apr 23, 2014, 6:09 PM
Pretty sure when EVA brings their 777 it's a 300ER. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

metroXpress
Apr 23, 2014, 6:20 PM
Pretty sure when EVA brings their 777 it's a 300ER. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

You are correct. They are phasing out the remaining 747's once they receive their 777-300ER's. All their other North American destinations (YYZ, JFK, LAX, SFO, SEA) are served by 777-300ER.

But on that note, we will lose another beautiful 747 coming in Vancouver. Lufthansa and BA are left as the remaining operators into and out of YVR. (And maybe occasional Korean Air and China Airlines?)

trofirhen
Apr 23, 2014, 8:30 PM
I also love the 777, but as for livery, I think Air New Zealand ranks right up there for me

Denscity
Apr 23, 2014, 10:31 PM
You are correct. They are phasing out the remaining 747's once they receive their 777-300ER's. All their other North American destinations (YYZ, JFK, LAX, SFO, SEA) are served by 777-300ER.

But on that note, we will lose another beautiful 747 coming in Vancouver. Lufthansa and BA are left as the remaining operators into and out of YVR. (And maybe occasional Korean Air and China Airlines?)

Yes I believe Korean is adding a 747 to Vancouver's lineup as well.

trofirhen
Apr 23, 2014, 11:51 PM
The VC-10, now retired except for a LHR-Manchester commuter run, but a beautiful plane, and one that I wish we had seen here at YVR.
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/3/4/6/1202643.jpg
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/3/4/6/1202643.jpg

Johnny Aussie
Apr 24, 2014, 1:19 AM

The global phasing out of the 744 will continue so the endgame is inevitable. Very few airlines are getting the 748 so unlikely YVR will see the passenger variant.

EVA Air will continue to use the 744 on the YVR route indefinitely. EVA is phasing the 744 out through 2016 but the YVR scheds still show the 744.

China Airlines seems to be the funny one when it comes to the 744. They use that for the winter scheds but the 343 in the summer scheds. The 343s are being phased out so perhaps this may become an A350 route :-) 744s are back in the scheds for next winter again.

Korean Air flips between the 772 in winter to the 744 in summer. Their 744s are also being phased out so perhaps this will become another 77W route in the future.

YVR will continue to see Cathay Cargo's 744F and 748F as well.

If it makes you feel better... my home airport (MEL) saw its last 744 (UA) service a few weeks ago. Although we do see quite a few daily A380s! smirk

deasine
Apr 24, 2014, 1:59 AM
Is BR really bringing the 777s this year? I can tell you from a product experience, the 777s have a much newer product (especially in J). BRs current J product is mediocre at best and they really need to have something that can compete against the likes of its direct competitors, including CX.

Edit: I just saw Johnny's post and I thought that was the case. I know BR is phasing out SEA but SEA has a higher frequency of flights. Bare in mind, the 747 has a higher cargo capacity, so a switch to a 777 will be a decrease in cargo capacity. There needs to be an increase in frequency to allow BR to maintain cargo capacity.

metroXpress
Apr 24, 2014, 7:58 AM
^ Yes, with the new agreement signed earlier this year, EVA is boosting both YVR and YYZ service from 3 times a week to 4 times a week starting June 2nd.

The complete delivery of their order goes all the way to 2016 so I'm guessing Vancouver will be one of the last to switch to 777. It's unfortunate cause their J class, as you mentioned, is not competitive at all. They need lie-flats that provide personal space for sure.

http://airlineroute.net/2014/01/08/br-yvryyz-jun14/

metroXpress
Apr 24, 2014, 8:03 AM
The global phasing out of the 744 will continue so the endgame is inevitable. Very few airlines are getting the 748 so unlikely YVR will see the passenger variant.

EVA Air will continue to use the 744 on the YVR route indefinitely. EVA is phasing the 744 out through 2016 but the YVR scheds still show the 744.

China Airlines seems to be the funny one when it comes to the 744. They use that for the winter scheds but the 343 in the summer scheds. The 343s are being phased out so perhaps this may become an A350 route :-) 744s are back in the scheds for next winter again.

Korean Air flips between the 772 in winter to the 744 in summer. Their 744s are also being phased out so perhaps this will become another 77W route in the future.

YVR will continue to see Cathay Cargo's 744F and 748F as well.

If it makes you feel better... my home airport (MEL) saw its last 744 (UA) service a few weeks ago. Although we do see quite a few daily A380s! smirk

I guess ETOPs should take the blame and we will no longer see 4 engine planes. At least you have the A380s. YVR needs a little more variety when it comes to wide-bodies. BA still has a huge fleet of 744s so they will be around for a while?

Johnny Aussie
Apr 24, 2014, 2:18 PM
I guess ETOPs should take the blame and we will no longer see 4 engine planes. At least you have the A380s. YVR needs a little more variety when it comes to wide-bodies. BA still has a huge fleet of 744s so they will be around for a while?

YVR actually sees a pretty decent variety of widebodies: 763, 788, 772, 773, 744, 748 (cargo), 310, 332, 333, 343 and 346 (currently not now though).

I highly doubt the 380 or the 748 will be gracing YVR's skies anytime soon though.

trofirhen
Apr 27, 2014, 12:25 PM
Hate to flog a dead horse,but whatever became of this idea?

http://www.vancouversun.com/Business/asia-pacific/Chuck+Chiang+ready+connect+dots/9058732/story.html

casper
Apr 28, 2014, 2:24 AM
Hate to flog a dead horse,but whatever became of this idea?

http://www.vancouversun.com/Business/asia-pacific/Chuck+Chiang+ready+connect+dots/9058732/story.html

I think it is dead.

We do have the following flight:
Air Canada Mexico City (6:30 am) -> Vancouver (10:15 am)
Air Canada Vancouver (2:20 pm) -> Mexico City (11:53 pm)

Denscity
Apr 29, 2014, 2:09 AM
AC Rouge started it's YVR service to Vegas today. Surprised no ones posted the news article yet. Don't know how so I can't do it myself.

trofirhen
Apr 29, 2014, 2:12 AM
I think it is dead.

We do have the following flight:
Air Canada Mexico City (6:30 am) -> Vancouver (10:15 am)
Air Canada Vancouver (2:20 pm) -> Mexico City (11:53 pm)

I'd love to know who killed it, and why. :sly::cool:

moosejaw
Apr 29, 2014, 2:39 AM
I'd love to know who killed it, and why. :sly::cool:

a place called YYZ

deasine
Apr 29, 2014, 4:00 AM
It's not about YYZ. It's about involving the federal gov't and this opens a huge bureaucratic can of worms. Until the Federal Government is a bit more progressive in this regard, it will not happen quickly and there's no point in asking again and again. If and when they act, you will hear the news.

whatnext
Apr 29, 2014, 5:21 AM
AC Rouge started it's YVR service to Vegas today. Surprised no ones posted the news article yet. Don't know how so I can't do it myself.

So far they're basically just replacing existing AC routes. And if they are a LCC, why haven't the prices dropped? Basically the consumer is paying the same and getting less.

The fact that AC management lumps YVR-LAX and YVR-SFO as leisure routes along with Vegas speaks volumes about how cluelessly Central Canadian they are.

deasine
Apr 29, 2014, 6:03 AM
So far they're basically just replacing existing AC routes. And if they are a LCC, why haven't the prices dropped? Basically the consumer is paying the same and getting less.

I can't stress this enough to people, LCC does not equate to Low Cost for Consumer, it equates to Low Cost for Business. Only new entrants will enter the market competitively and lead to lower fares.

The fact that AC management lumps YVR-LAX and YVR-SFO as leisure routes along with Vegas speaks volumes about how cluelessly Central Canadian they are.

No they totally know what they are doing. These routes are not really high yielding by any means. As the airline, why shouldn't they lower their unit cost for the business if the main market share of business is more leisure, low-unit oriented?

casper
Apr 29, 2014, 6:06 AM

I suspect the Air Canada route planning people know what they are doing. Either passengers are paying extra to sit in business class or they are not.

I can see the value of Business Class on a 5 hour flight. Fewer are going to be willing to pay extra for a two hour flight down to California.

whatnext
Apr 29, 2014, 6:07 AM
I suspect the Air Canada route planning people know what they are doing. Either passengers are paying extra to sit in business class or they are not.

I can see the value of Business Class on a 5 hour flight. Fewer are going to be willing to pay extra for a two hour flight down to California.

People in film, people in Silicon Valley. Lots of business traffic.

deasine
Apr 29, 2014, 6:16 AM
People in film, people in Silicon Valley. Lots of business traffic.

Well AC will not capture too much fifth freedom traffic than compared to the direct options via SFO/SJC. This only leaves O&D traffic. UA has higher frequencies than AC, with flight times that are more oriented to the business market (early morning, afternoon/early evening). And because AC already has a joint-venture with UA whereby they split the profit with UA for even the portions operated by UA, AC has the opportunity to lower the cost of business despite traffic moving to UA. Let me also add, Silicon Valley businesses often have existing contracts tied with US carriers, and thus will tend to fly the US carriers more.

Nike is the only business I know of where they have a cooperation with a Canadian airport (YVR).

zahav
Apr 29, 2014, 6:27 AM
Ok guys, here's some photos of the new AB Connector. These are all taken by my work team, credit to them.. So this first section to open is the part closest to the old B-Pier. The gate #s won't make sense right now, but they will after the May 6th gate renumbering.. This phase of the project is going to be open end of May +-, with the other phases opening up till Nov. Enjoy!

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/its_me_josh1zahav84/Sign22Complete28_zps3132e38c.jpg (http://s1020.photobucket.com/user/its_me_josh1zahav84/media/Sign22Complete28_zps3132e38c.jpg.html)

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/its_me_josh1zahav84/Sign22Complete29_zps03e8eaa8.jpg (http://s1020.photobucket.com/user/its_me_josh1zahav84/media/Sign22Complete29_zps03e8eaa8.jpg.html)

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/its_me_josh1zahav84/Sign22Complete12_zps1ec1e8de.jpg (http://s1020.photobucket.com/user/its_me_josh1zahav84/media/Sign22Complete12_zps1ec1e8de.jpg.html)

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/its_me_josh1zahav84/GAP4Complete3_zpse411672b.jpg (http://s1020.photobucket.com/user/its_me_josh1zahav84/media/GAP4Complete3_zpse411672b.jpg.html)

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/its_me_josh1zahav84/Sign22Complete23_zpsa7c5f4c5.jpg (http://s1020.photobucket.com/user/its_me_josh1zahav84/media/Sign22Complete23_zpsa7c5f4c5.jpg.html)

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/its_me_josh1zahav84/GAP3Complete_zps83092900.jpg (http://s1020.photobucket.com/user/its_me_josh1zahav84/media/GAP3Complete_zps83092900.jpg.html)

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/its_me_josh1zahav84/GAP4Complete_zps15cf7459.jpg (http://s1020.photobucket.com/user/its_me_josh1zahav84/media/GAP4Complete_zps15cf7459.jpg.html)

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/its_me_josh1zahav84/Sign21Complete8_zpsf8d625a3.jpg (http://s1020.photobucket.com/user/its_me_josh1zahav84/media/Sign21Complete8_zpsf8d625a3.jpg.html)

Hourglass
Apr 29, 2014, 9:00 AM
Thanks Zahav for sharing. There hasn't been much one can gather from the renders and videos out there. You and your work team are doing a great job!

This is looking really welcoming and airy to me. I love that YVR doesn't simply follow the post-industrial chic trend (or whatever it's called) that so many modern airports are moving towards in interior design. Wish they'd lose the ceiling "tiles" though... (seems a bit 90s to me and it's in the ITB as well...)

YYCguys
Apr 29, 2014, 11:52 AM
YVR has always been one of my favorite Canadian airports to spend time in, but the A/B Pier and Connector projects are long overdue and very welcome! I'm especially looking forward to this project's updates and completion!

whatnext
Apr 29, 2014, 12:55 PM
Well AC will not capture too much fifth freedom traffic than compared to the direct options via SFO/SJC. This only leaves O&D traffic. UA has higher frequencies than AC, with flight times that are more oriented to the business market (early morning, afternoon/early evening). And because AC already has a joint-venture with UA whereby they split the profit with UA for even the portions operated by UA, AC has the opportunity to lower the cost of business despite traffic moving to UA. Let me also add, Silicon Valley businesses often have existing contracts tied with US carriers, and thus will tend to fly the US carriers more.

Nike is the only business I know of where they have a cooperation with a Canadian airport (YVR).

UA doesn't have better frequency to LAX.

LCC is supposed to denote a lower cost, leisure carrier. In Rouge's case it's supposed to compete with teh liek of Transat. As a business perosn one day I'm flyign to LAX on an AC E-190 with 2 abreast seating and inseat entertainment, the next day it switches to an old A319 with 3 abreast seating and no AVOD (unless I bring my own device) - and paying the same price. Ripoff.

connect2source
Apr 29, 2014, 3:53 PM
Huge improvement thanks so much for the preview! I must say though the 90's look is getting a little tired, it's been almost 20 years since the opening of the International Terminal and YVR is still very much following the original 1996 aesthetic, it's time to move it forward significantly IMO, and yes, the ceiling tiles have to go.

s211
Apr 29, 2014, 4:46 PM
Does the canoe motif under the skylights serve any purpose aside from aesthetic?

PaperTiger
Apr 29, 2014, 6:05 PM
Huge improvement thanks so much for the preview! I must say though the 90's look is getting a little tired, it's been almost 20 years since the opening of the International Terminal and YVR is still very much following the original 1996 aesthetic, it's time to move it forward significantly IMO, and yes, the ceiling tiles have to go.

I think that the design works well and doesn't feel particularly 90's to me. Even though it shares the same vocabulary as the ITB that vocabulary is rooted more in a Vancouver/BC pallet materials rather than a 1996 "trendy" pallet. I agree the ceiling tiles aren't stunners but they also serve acoustical purposes. Granted there may be other ways to improve acoustics but the design needs to balance aesthetics, occupant comfort AND affordability.

ACT7
Apr 29, 2014, 10:08 PM
Impressive numbers for YVR in March, and overall YTD.

http://www.yvr.ca/Libraries/Aviation_Marketing/1992-2014_Enplaned_and_Deplaned_Passengers_Mar_2014.sflb.ashx