PDA

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139

Denscity
Nov 27, 2014, 7:01 PM
What's WS's feelings wrt servicing Castlegar? I had thought similar markets like Cranbrook, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, and Red Deer would have been of interest to WS but I get the impression that's not the case.

I think Encore is interested in us as they like to move into markets where AC has the place to themselves. Plus we have a vacant space for a second airline like we've had for decades in the past. YCG serves a market of roughly 90000 people so that isnt the issue. The issue with our airport is landing difficulties in the winter. We've got NavCanada measuring our mountains which surround our airport. And we're talking with Air Canada and awaiting a business case study from them regarding YCG. If its favourable then apparently NavCanada will put in a gps based ILS system which the new Q400 aircraft are already equipped with and the city has already budgeted on its end. (sorry im an uneducated nav nerd).
Also our runway is 5300' long and has served multiple 737s daily for decades. I grew up under the landing and takeoff path so I remember it well. YCG has had jet service since 1968.

Cage
Nov 27, 2014, 7:45 PM
I think Encore is interested in us as they like to move into markets where AC has the place to themselves. Plus we have a vacant space for a second airline like we've had for decades in the past. YCG serves a market of roughly 90000 people so that isnt the issue. The issue with our airport is landing difficulties in the winter. We've got NavCanada measuring our mountains which surround our airport. And we're talking with Air Canada and awaiting a business case study from them regarding YCG. If its favourable then apparently NavCanada will put in a gps based ILS system which the new Q400 aircraft are already equipped with and the city has already budgeted on its end. (sorry im an uneducated nav nerd).
Also our runway is 5300' long and has served multiple 737s daily for decades. I grew up under the landing and takeoff path so I remember it well. YCG has had jet service since 1968.

Hate to burst the YCG encore bubble but but a tea leaf reading of Q3 financials release does not pose well for YCG. A key message from WS is that encore stage length will increase over 2015, so don't expect short routes like YYC-YCG or YVR-YCG. Also expect encore to have greater focus developing the YYZ hub rather than YYC.

Cage
Nov 27, 2014, 7:50 PM
Ya I was under the impression they were going with a319/a320 as well but their web page clearly depicts a 737. Hopefully they have changed to Boeing.

Don't ready anything into the website picture being a proxy for their fleet choice.

IIRC their first pic was of an AC 319 with jetlines superimposed at least the current pic is professionally photoshopped image.

Also when WS was at jetlines current stage of development, they were shopping for DC9 or MD82. The 732 was afterthought, but value jet was picking up all available airplanes, so Clive and co had to pick another fleet type.

YYCguys
Nov 27, 2014, 10:53 PM
Hate to burst the YCG encore bubble but but a tea leaf reading of Q3 financials release does not pose well for YCG.

Whose Q3 financials are you referring to: WS or YCG?

A key message from WS is that encore stage length will increase over 2015, so don't expect short routes like YYC-YCG or YVR-YCG. Also expect encore to have greater focus developing the YYZ hub rather than YYC.

I would love to see WS Encore establish a YYZ-DCA route with their own metal!

craneSpotter
Nov 28, 2014, 1:47 AM
Prompted me to look at their website again. Jetlines.ca

The plane looks better now... although I thought they were going with Airbus

Well if this is their ultimate livery ... I like it :)

They say Boeing on their we site.. And point to point service to non-major airports where possible. So no hub?? Would yyj-yxe/yqr-ywg same plane jet-service work for example?

http://i59.tinypic.com/rh79eh.jpg

Johnny Aussie
Nov 28, 2014, 2:18 AM
Well if this is their ultimate livery ... I like it :)

They say Boeing on their we site.. And point to point service to non-major airports where possible. So no hub?? Would yyj-yxe/yqr-ywg same plane jet-service work for example?

Everything I read contradicts what they have been saying all along. Either their business plan keeps changing or just making random statements.

They say from their base at YVR then talk about secondary airports. I don't get it. I highly doubt there would be enough traffic to warrant flying from YYJ to YXE or YQR or YWG for example. AC only flies CRJs to both YXE and YQR as another example. To fill those bigger planes they are going to have to fly to larger population centres. :shrug:

Plane does look better now! Kind of Garuda-esque

craneSpotter
Nov 28, 2014, 3:24 AM
Everything I read contradicts what they have been saying all along. Either their business plan keeps changing or just making random statements.

They say from their base at YVR then talk about secondary airports. I don't get it. I highly doubt there would be enough traffic to warrant flying from YYJ to YXE or YQR or YWG for example

I guess they want to keep the other airlines guessing? They mention yvr-prince rupert!? Maybe for workcamps. Maybe yvr-fort mac with a stop in Prince george or grand prairie along the way??

Whoops - i meant yyj to yxe (stop) to ywg on the same plane. 3 city route.

What size of 737?? Or even 717??

Johnny Aussie
Nov 29, 2014, 3:54 AM
In this month's Hemispheres magazine.

https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/company-operations/pages/united-three-perfect-days-vancouver.aspx

Spikester
Nov 29, 2014, 2:21 PM

https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/company-operations/pages/united-three-perfect-days-vancouver.aspx

I saw that on a UA flight home for a four-day rest between trips, and I'm firmly convinced that somebody was trolling me. My four perfect days in Vancouver were mostly comprised of sleeping and doing laundry.

trofirhen
Nov 29, 2014, 3:36 PM

Read quickly through it, and it's obvious they're tryng to sell the city as a destination.
Isn't UA codeshare partner with AC? At least they're both in *alliance. Anyway, it makes total sense that they'd do this. They now serve Chicago, Houston, Denver, SF...
(These seem routes that, if Vancouver magically became as important in AC eyes as a "Western YYZ," would all be served by AC itself. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

craneSpotter
Nov 29, 2014, 6:55 PM
Prompted me to look at their website again. Jetlines.ca

The plane looks better now... although I thought they were going with Airbus?

Best quote ---> "The airline plans routes that avoid direct competition with current airlines." It also says further down the landing page, "From its base at Vancouver International Airport...." Knowing that they also stated their first routes are to be in Western Canada, what routes does that leave? Unless their business plan has changed. I am not sure how that's going to work.

Ok. I took the time to read their prospectus filed Nov 26. Net proceeds for the initial offering to fund: crew training for initial 2 aircraft, networking plan, prepare and fit 2 leased aircraft, marketing, reservation systems and working capital.

Also a few tidbits:

- two B737 classics @ 148 seats w/winglets to be operational by June 2015. Budget allows for up to 7 more 737classic leases over first 36 mos.

- Deposits for 21 more aircraft including the more fuel efficient 737-700NG and also some 737-800NG for eastern routes and sun destinations. Single aircraft model fleet. Will transition to the MAX when possible.

- Fleet maintenance by Skytec @ YVR

- single class service with low base fare and a la carte services such as wi-fi. 30" seat pitch and equal or wider seats than competition.

- Point-point service in Canada. By direct competition they mean jet service only. So offer jet service on routes that WJ and AC mainly serve with turboprop (Q400s) or offer jet service on underserved or unserved routes (a la original Wetjet). Also mention service to non-major, lower cost airports where possible?

- Their 'proposed' initial route map shows service to all major Western Canadian cities except YYJ&YYC. Low cost jet service to Okanagan, Prince George, Fort St. John, Fort Macmurray, YEG, YXE, YQR & YWG possible. I would imagine interline agreements with Asian carriers and maybe Iceland Air are possible.

- they plan on applying immediately to operate into the US, Mexico and certain Caribbean countries (sun dest.) from YVR

- they expect a significant increase in demand for air service across Canada over the next 10 years. They see a big opportunity in Canada for ULCC due to Westjet straying from its original LCC business model to one more based on the legacy carriers like Air Canada.

- Canada has high domestic yields - especially on some short stages. Seasonal sun destinations south from Canada are low yielding so bigger 737 needed.

- Air Canada (0.17 casm) and Westjet (0.14 casm and rising) have high cost structures compared to a LCC/ULCC models @ 0.09 average.

Of course they have many caveats - like a successful offering for starters :)

Hot Rod
Dec 1, 2014, 8:16 AM
Read quickly through it, and it's obvious they're tryng to sell the city as a destination.
Isn't UA codeshare partner with AC? At least they're both in *alliance. Anyway, it makes total sense that they'd do this. They now serve Chicago, Houston, Denver, SF...
(These seem routes that, if Vancouver magically became as important in AC eyes as a "Western YYZ," would all be served by AC itself. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I'm actually glad YVR isn't a fortress hub like YYZ. nothing wrong with foreign flags to the US, even if they are American. :)

In fact, it allows AC to focus on its domestic and intercontinental offerings - allowing the US majors to brunt the cost of transborder thereby AC being more efficient and selective (hence generally better product).

Looks like Jetlines will offer some competition to the US which is good and gives a Canadian option on otherwise thin US metal dominated routes.

SFUVancouver
Dec 1, 2014, 8:02 PM
I'm writing this from Hong Kong International Airport. I got to see not one, not two, but three 787s today at YVR before my flight. This is the first time I've got a good look at them and I like 'em a lot. The 773ER is still my favourite jet and I got to spend a fair number of hours in one today. Cathay seems to have wider economy seats that BA. Good to know.

But... I missed my connecting flight to South Africa because I am an idiot. I set my watch to the wrong time when I landed and I missed the flight by about 5 minutes. No kidding. I'll be heading out on the next one, but it's a once-daily service, so the next one is 24 hours of living in HKG later.

I am not a happy camper tonight, but I've got about couple billion dollars' worth of long haul wide-bodied jets hanging out for the night beside my window, so the company could be worse. 747s, 777s, A340s, and A330s as far as the eye can see.

trofirhen
Dec 1, 2014, 8:13 PM
I'm actually glad YVR isn't a fortress hub like YYZ. nothing wrong with foreign flags to the US, even if they are American. :)

In fact, it allows AC to focus on its domestic and intercontinental offerings - allowing the US majors to brunt the cost of transborder thereby AC being more efficient and selective (hence generally better product).

Looks like Jetlines will offer some competition to the US which is good and gives a Canadian option on otherwise thin US metal dominated routes.
Hey! I'm all for foreign flags at YVR (Air France, among others, and all the US carriers we have)
Calin Rovinescu of AC said YVR risked being a "stub" airport of other carriers, and although AC still provides 40 per cent of AC traffic,
we're sort of a "stub" for other airlines anyway, whether Mr. Rovinescu like is or not!!
I just wonder, though, what will Jetlines' USA routes be? Makes me curious.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 2, 2014, 3:05 AM
Next summer AC's YVR-NYC daily flight is moving from EWR to JFK and staying with the morning departure. Perhaps better for O&D. Perhaps leaving EWR to UA? Who knows!

Gordon
Dec 2, 2014, 3:18 AM
AC Used to fly to JFK , the switch seemed to happen around the same time as the UA Continental merger.
AC's website refers to their 3 major Hubs Toronto Montreal & Vancouver.

Is Delta doing it's summer JFK Non stops this summer?

Johnny Aussie
Dec 2, 2014, 4:44 AM
AC Used to fly to JFK , the switch seemed to happen around the same time as the UA Continental merger.
AC's website refers to their 3 major Hubs Toronto Montreal & Vancouver.

Is Delta doing it's summer JFK Non stops this summer?

Yes. DL, CX, PR and AC will all be flying to JFK from YVR next summer.

Gordon
Dec 2, 2014, 7:23 PM
could Jetlines do damage to airlines that use BLI to gather Vancouver travelers?

Are the old a gates other than A\B12 still under under construction & completely blocked off?

thegx
Dec 2, 2014, 8:42 PM
Next summer AC's YVR-NYC daily flight is moving from EWR to JFK and staying with the morning departure. Perhaps better for O&D. Perhaps leaving EWR to UA? Who knows!

Are you sure? Their website still shows EWR.

deasine
Dec 2, 2014, 10:46 PM
could Jetlines do damage to airlines that use BLI to gather Vancouver travelers?

Unless Jetlines is flying to Las Vegas, Hawaii, etc. it won't be able to? So far the routes proposed none of which competes against Allegiant?

craneSpotter
Dec 2, 2014, 10:52 PM

Jetlines is definitely targeting those passengers from the lower-mainland (and VI) who are using BLI - as well as those using Southwest & JetBlue from SEA.

deasine
Dec 2, 2014, 11:27 PM
Jetlines is definitely targeting those passengers from the lower-mainland (and VI) who are using BLI - as well as those using Southwest & JetBlue from SEA.

That's not in its initial plans. I'm probably very cynical on this venture but I definitely don't think it will take off as smooth as they think it will. Bare in mind ULCCs have survived in the States but costs are significantly higher in Canada. Even if they operate with a cost advantage to AC and WS, its important to remember this airline does not have the fleet or frequency to take on AC and WS. Even WS's encore division exited certain markets from YVR (YKA was one of them) because they don't have the frequency and market power AC has. Given these are small markets to begin with, airlines can't sustainably pour in capacity as these markets will not support it. So even in the long-run it will be destructive competition.

Gordon
Dec 2, 2014, 11:30 PM
Will:
Delta be operating it's yvr atl service this summmer?

UA be operating Yvr to EWR & IAd this summer?

craneSpotter
Dec 2, 2014, 11:40 PM
That's not in its initial plans. I'm probably very cynical on this venture but I definitely don't think it will take off as smooth as they think it will. Bare in mind ULCCs have survived in the States but costs are significantly higher in Canada. Even if they operate with a cost advantage to AC and WS, its important to remember this airline does not have the fleet or frequency to take on AC and WS. Even WS's encore division exited certain markets from YVR (YKA was one of them) because they don't have the frequency and market power AC has. Given these are small markets to begin with, airlines can't sustainably pour in capacity as these markets will not support it. So even in the long-run it will be destructive competition.

Agreed. It will be a tough market. It will be interesting to watch how they develop... if they in fact fly (no pun haha).

With only two planes at launch they won't offer much in the way of routes...but expect their LF to be in the 65-70% range and still make $. They say they will only go head-head with AC/WJ on the routes those two use props on.

They are going after the low hanging - price sensitive leisure PAX. I hope they give it a go, somebody will eventually! I think they have a chance if they can get funding.

Genauso
Dec 2, 2014, 11:47 PM
Selected excerpts from
Can a $200-million mail plant at YVR save Canada Post?
Jacob Parry | Dec 1, 2014 | BCBusiness
(http://www.bcbusiness.ca/manufacturing-transport/can-a-200-million-mail-plant-at-yvr-save-canada-post)

This year, the always-busy holiday season is expected to be a lot more stressful—but potentially a lot more profitable—as Canada Post tries to reap the benefits of a $200-million investment in this new YVR distribution centre. The move is part of a $1.7-billion modernization program (which includes new automated plants in Montreal, Winnipeg and Toronto) that’s shifting the corporation’s focus away from letter mail and toward e-commerce parcel delivery.

Last March, a second wave of postal workers relocated to the airport plant from Canada Post’s multi-storey Modernist complex in downtown Vancouver (a building that was sold, in January 2013, for $153 million). The 700,000-square-foot Pacific Processing Centre, with a tarmac for the carrier’s contracted fleet of Boeing 727s

the holiday season is particularly lucrative, with three out of every five parcels delivered in the month of December. Deliver Tonight, a program piloted by Canada Post last holiday season in Toronto, was expected to be up and running by the end of October in Metro Vancouver. A selection of Canada Post’s top retail partners—which have yet to be announced—will be offering same-day delivery service as part of the program: order by noon, the package will be picked up by 2 p.m. and delivered that evening. Last year alone, revenue from those top e-commerce customers grew 29 per cent over the previous year.

One of those e-commerce customers is London Drugs

In the Lower Mainland alone, the corporation expects to cut 500 from the 3,000 employees it currently has.

According to some workers, the move comes at the expense of the postal carrier’s traditional letter-carrying business. One employee who works on the floor of the Richmond plant, who asked for anonymity, reports that 25 trailers full of letter mail, largely from Japan, China and South Korea, currently sit waiting to be offloaded. “We used to process 32,000 letters an hour; now we process 5,000 to 10,000,” she says. Whereas a letter or parcel sent from Kelowna to Prince George would go directly, now all mail is routed through Vancouver, explains John Bail, national director at CUPW.

Although Amazon announced a same-day delivery program recently, it seems Canada Post won't meet its goal of offering its version "Deliver Tonight" this year. The article also seems to support the idea the downtown distribution facility is still operating at significant volume. Has the BC pension fund which bought the property started giving off hints of its ambitions for a redevelopment yet?

Johnny Aussie
Dec 3, 2014, 12:06 AM
Will:
Delta be operating it's yvr atl service this summmer?

UA be operating Yvr to EWR & IAd this summer?

DL to ATL - yes same schedule as last summer flights on Wed, Sat and Sun.

As for UA and EWR and IAD. UA has not uploaded their summer timetable yet. Expect that soon.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 3, 2014, 12:07 AM
Are you sure? Their website still shows EWR.

You are right AC has not updated their website yet.

Check again in a few days. It's already reflected in OAG for example.

Klazu
Dec 3, 2014, 1:21 AM

Isn't Southwest rumored to be interested in Vancouver (or Abbottsford)? That could hinder Jetlines plans if it happens.

Cage
Dec 3, 2014, 1:51 AM

from AC sources apparently the YVR-JFK load was done in error, the flight will remain YVR-EWR. Another consideration is that if YVR -EWR was transferring to JFK then YYC-EWR would have followed suit.

Gordon
Dec 3, 2014, 2:20 AM
airilneroutes.net has the Ac yve JFK info as well

craneSpotter
Dec 5, 2014, 8:58 PM
Isn't Southwest rumored to be interested in Vancouver (or Abbottsford)? That could hinder Jetlines plans if it happens.

Don't know. There was a story back in September that claimed Southwest was looking at possibly entering the Canadian market. Have not heard anything since.

Of course they could not serve point-point in Canada, but certainly could make a dent into the seats offered to the US/Sun destinations by current airlines operating from Canada.

trofirhen
Dec 5, 2014, 9:15 PM
Don't know. There was a story back in September that claimed Southwest was looking at possibly entering the Canadian market. Have not heard anything since.

Of course they could not serve point-point in Canada, but certainly could make a dent into the seats offered to the US/Sun destinations by current airlines operating from Canada.
Maybe it's Southwest that will bring back Vancouver - San Diego.

Gordon
Dec 5, 2014, 9:21 PM
Any chance Rouge might consider YVR SAN?

craneSpotter
Dec 5, 2014, 9:46 PM
Maybe it's Southwest that will bring back Vancouver - San Diego.

Oh, that would be great. Surprising there isn't a flight to SAN. Maybe Rouge or Westjet could make it work now?

I believe jetBlue had also applied to serve Canada in the past. They said that Canada's airport fees and tax structure were too high for them - although I think that was 5 years ago.

Edit: Ah, found the article re: jetBlue (and others). If fuel costs go and stay down (oil stays low) and the dollar stays low relative to the USD, maybe they will revisit the potential of service to/from Canada.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/the-real-air-rage-is-airfares-20120405.html

trofirhen
Dec 5, 2014, 10:13 PM
Oh, that would be great. Surprising there isn't a flight to SAN. Maybe Rouge or Westjet could make it work now?

I believe jetBlue had also applied to serve Canada in the past. They said that Canada's airport fees and tax structure were too high for them - although I think that was 5 years ago.

Edit: Ah, found the article re: jetBlue (and others). If fuel costs go and stay down (oil stays low) and the dollar stays low relative to the USD, maybe they will revisit the potential of service to/from Canada.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/the-real-air-rage-is-airfares-20120405.html

Interesting, thank you. I wonder what other as-yet-unserved routes from YVR to the US there are? Miami, and Orlando seem to stand out. Any others?

thegx
Dec 8, 2014, 5:59 PM

Air Canada is not switching service to JFK.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 9, 2014, 12:33 AM
Air Canada is not switching service to JFK.

Yup. Filing error. Amazing it made it to OAG!

Johnny Aussie
Dec 9, 2014, 12:37 AM
And the roll continues....

OCT 2014
Overall up 7.0% up 98,600 to 1,506,778
Domestic up 6.9% up 52,700 to 841,063
Transborder up 10.5% up 32,100 to 337,583
Asia Pacific up 5.5% up 11,500 to 219,182
Europe up 2.2% up 2,300 to 91,583
Misc Int'l down 8.3% down 1,500 to 17,097

Ttl Int'l (includes transborder) up 7.1%

YTD
Overall up 8.0% up 1,210,000 to 16,411,261
Domestic up 7.1%
Transborder up 9.1%
Asia Pacific up 11.4%
Europe up 5.7%
Misc int'l up 0.5%

Ttl Int'l (includes transborder) up 8.9%

Cargo up 11.4% in Oct which is also the same increase for YTD.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 9, 2014, 3:49 PM
AC adding two daily year-round DH3 flights to Comox starting 1 May.

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=838

nname
Dec 9, 2014, 7:20 PM
Toronto gets DEL and DXB, but Vancouver only gets YQQ... :(

Cage
Dec 9, 2014, 7:58 PM

Plus a boat load of 788 equipment flying across the pacific.

trofirhen
Dec 9, 2014, 8:11 PM
QATAR AIRWAYS was denied access to Vancouver several years back.
This is one I could not figure out.
If the Canadian governement (AC) is afraid that it will take flights from India, Delhi is about 1000 miles closr across the Pacific, via Beijing.
If they're aftraid of QATAR taking away flight from Europe ... WTF! .... you'd need to connect over 3/4 of the way backwards around then globe, which is preposterous.

What market does QATAR (and Emirates, I guess) see out of Vancouver, and exactly what is being protected by refusing them entry?

If someone coukld explain that, I'd love to know.

Cage
Dec 9, 2014, 8:21 PM
QATAR AIRWAYS was denied access to Vancouver several years back.
This is one I could not figure out.
If the Canadian governement (AC) is afraid that it will take flights from India, Delhi is about 1000 miles closr across the Pacific, via Beijing.
If they're aftraid of QATAR taking away flight from Europe ... WTF! .... you'd need to connect over 3/4 of the way backwards around then globe, which is preposterous.

What market does QATAR (and Emirates, I guess) see out of Vancouver, and exactly what is being protected by refusing them entry?

If someone coukld explain that, I'd love to know.

YVR was only ever a pawn for QR and EK to get more access rights out of YYZ. Both airlines were only ever interested in daily YYZ services.

Also I believe the QR YVR concept included 6th freedom rights through Europe. QR needed YVR -Europe traffic rights to make the project profitable.

trofirhen
Dec 9, 2014, 8:23 PM
YVR was only ever a pawn for QR and EK to get more access rights out of YYZ. Both airlines were only ever interested in daily YYZ services.

Also I believe the QR YVR concept included 6th freedom rights through Europe. QR needed YVR -Europe traffic rights to make the project profitable.Thank you. I had a hunch the reason was something along that order.;)

Johnny Aussie
Dec 9, 2014, 8:24 PM

Yup, and as Cage says a boat load of 787s.

Toronto has by far the largest South Asian population of close to 900,000 (based on 2011 Stats Canada figures). And we all know this route will heavily depend on VFR traffic.

Vancouver has the second largest South Asian population in Canada which amounts to only about 300,000 when you include Abbotsford.

After that there are no other metro areas in Canada with a South Asian population of more than 100,000.

So just based on that alone we are talking only 1/3 Toronto's and that's just based on Metro populations not taking into account the much larger catchment area around YYZ.

It completely makes sense YYZ-DEL would come way before a direct YVR-DEL link. YVR is reaching a South Asian population that may make a direct link to India possible, even if just seasonal.

As for DXB, do you really think AC would ever fly YVR-DXB?

Don't worry though, Air Canada is not done with Vancouver.

trofirhen
Dec 9, 2014, 8:33 PM

Don't worry though, Air Canada is not done with Vancouver.
Sounds intriguing. Do you know something we don't?

twoNeurons
Dec 9, 2014, 10:53 PM
I'm writing this from Hong Kong International Airport. I got to see not one, not two, but three 787s today at YVR before my flight. This is the first time I've got a good look at them and I like 'em a lot. The 773ER is still my favourite jet and I got to spend a fair number of hours in one today. Cathay seems to have wider economy seats that BA. Good to know.

I just came back from Japan on their 787 into YVR. It's a great airplane. Super quiet. You can carry on a regular conversation over an aisle forward of the wing. Maybe it's just because I know the humidity is higher, but it seemed less dry and I was less tired. JALs service, as usual, was excellent.

Here's the the images:
http://imgur.com/a/noXbO

Denscity
Dec 9, 2014, 10:55 PM

AC themselves already mentioned that YVR will be AC's largest growing hub in Canada in 2015.

Canadian74
Dec 9, 2014, 11:16 PM

Well AC have mentioned YVR-MEL/BNE, haven't they?
Then maybe YVR-FRA, another Asian city/increased frequencies etc...

nname
Dec 9, 2014, 11:37 PM
double post, delete

nname
Dec 9, 2014, 11:40 PM
AC themselves already mentioned that YVR will be AC's largest growing hub in Canada in 2015.

There must be ALOT more coming up to make that statement true though (unless they meant the relative % increase instead of absolute number of seats or frequency).

So what we've known so far for new route and frequency change (but not a/c change as there are too much to track):

Toronto:
19x weekly 763
2x weekly 788
5x weekly 789
7x weekly CR7
2x weekly E90

Montreal:
12x weekly 763
5x weekly 319

Vancouver:
5x weekly 763
7x weekly 319
14x weekly DH3

Calgary:
10x weekly 319
7x weekly CRJ
7x weekly DH4

So currently Vancouver is ahead of Calgary (which is not an AC hub) but slightly behind Montreal in term of expansion, but is far behind Toronto. Unless there are cuts that are not reported, there should be at least 3 more daily services (with widebodies) from Vancouver that are yet to be announced? :D

Johnny Aussie
Dec 10, 2014, 2:09 AM
There must be ALOT more coming up to make that statement true though (unless they meant the relative % increase instead of absolute number of seats or frequency).

So currently Vancouver is ahead of Calgary (which is not an AC hub) but slightly behind Montreal in term of expansion, but is far behind Toronto. Unless there are cuts that are not reported, there should be at least 3 more daily services (with widebodies) from Vancouver that are yet to be announced? :D

I think they are referring to capacity growth in % terms. So frequencies may play a role, but every 763 Asia route is seeing a boost because of the 787 replacing them. Also, transborder is getting more boosts with the addition of 5th daily LAX on a 763 next summer for eg. Transborder growth this winter, because of new routes and the transfer to rouge, is huge.

Cage
Dec 10, 2014, 2:43 AM

I am convinced the " YVR will be AC fastest growing hub" comment has to use ASM as the comparator. All the 788 to Asia and 77w to SYD will add up. Plus Asia is about 1.5 times distance of YYZ-Europe.

Final factor in YVR favour is that YYZ increase will come late into 2015.

trofirhen
Dec 11, 2014, 3:07 PM
I wonder if this would make a viable Rouge winter destination. The city is very historic (The Alamo & the Mexican-American War), mild in winter, picturesque,
(The Paseo del Rio), and with a traditionally very strong Hispanic culture.

I was just wondering if it could make a winter sun & tourist destination. Rouge would likely be the only one to service it, it would seem, and on a seasonal basis, of course.

Denscity
Dec 11, 2014, 6:12 PM
Im thinking San Diego would be first if it isn't already in place. Also perhaps another Mexican destination? Seasonal sun or bigger interior city.

spoonman
Dec 11, 2014, 7:45 PM
Im thinking San Diego would be first if it isn't already in place. Also perhaps another Mexican destination? Seasonal sun or bigger interior city.

We in SD are also puzzled that there is no direct flight from Vancouver to SD. Of couse there used to be for a very long time. I would have to agree that this would be high on the list for desination expansion.

trofirhen
Dec 11, 2014, 8:21 PM
Yes, of course, San Diego first, but I was just wondering if there were also a market for San Antonio and its historic charm and winter sun.

As for a bigger interior Mexican city, I believe Monterrey is a major financial centre, but Guadalajara might be a destination, too, although I rather doubt that until Vancouver gets bigger.

craneSpotter
Dec 11, 2014, 9:21 PM
Not sure if it has been mentioned already, but China Eastern adding a seasonal 2nd daily service (A330-200 from 25JUN15 to 31AUG15) to Shanghai Pu Dong.

Also, Singapore Airlines is expanding its codeshare agreement with EVA Air to include Taipei Taoyuan – Vancouver.

http://airlineroute.net/2014/12/11/mu-s15update1/

Singapore Airlines now codeshares on EVA Air flights to six North American airports (http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/transport/story/singapore-airlines-now-codeshares-eva-air-flights-six-north-american-)

trofirhen
Dec 13, 2014, 12:53 AM
But perhaps still valid. // Hopefully of interest to some readers. // About Canadian protectionism, one viewpoint.
http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/north-pacific-air-route-development-part-2---us-airlines-risk-aversion-and-canadas-restrictionism-182041

Johnny Aussie
Dec 14, 2014, 10:29 PM
Looks like Air China is going to maintain the 773 daily year-round.

Originally it looked like CA was going to maintain 11 weekly like last summer but the earlier flight (4 per week) has been dropped but the later one upgauged to a 773.

Last summer all CA flights were operated with 332 equipment.

Gordon
Dec 15, 2014, 5:56 AM
That's the 1st reduction in Asian service in a while.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 15, 2014, 6:44 AM
That's the 1st reduction in Asian service in a while.

Reduction in capacity yes... Service no. Superior product across the board on the new 773 plus the intro of F class. I have to say it is pretty rare for airlines to put brand new aircraft, with all brand new upgraded premium products (including F) on YVR routes.

When CZ switched from the 772 to the 788 and JL switched from the 763 to the 788 those were reductions in capacity too.

Summer 2015 capacity to Asia overall definitely on the uptick for sure with PR, AC and rouge leading the way.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 15, 2014, 8:04 PM
Next step in Jetlines journey. 5 firm orders and 16 purchase rights.
Deliveries to commence in 2021.
They still plan to launch next year.

http://www.jetlines.ca/2014/12/15/canada-jetlines-and-boeing-sign-purchase-agreement-for-purchase-of-up-to-twenty-one-21-737-max-aircraft/

excel
Dec 16, 2014, 1:48 AM
I wonder what they will be leasing in the meantime. I assume A319 as previously mentioned?

craneSpotter
Dec 16, 2014, 4:39 AM
I wonder what they will be leasing in the meantime. I assume A319 as previously mentioned?

To start they plan on leasing two 737-300 'classics' and have them ready by June 2015 (equipment&crew). Growing to 7 or 8 aircraft by 2016. After that they plan on adding some 737-700/800NG aircraft before taking delivery of the MAX in '21.

On-line reservation/booking system is supposed to be up by March 2015. All of this happening only on a successful public offering.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 16, 2014, 5:47 AM
All of this happening only on a successful public offering.

And that will be a monumental task.

In any event the concept of having a ULCC based in Vancouver is rather exciting.

I hate being a skeptic but I just don't see how many viable markets fall into their criteria on such a large plane. 733s aren't huge but in a HD configuration they will most likely be around the 150 seat mark.

Perhaps they will open up nonstop flights to YQU or YQL among others. But on 150 seaters... Just don't know how this is all going to fly.

All the best to them.

deasine
Dec 16, 2014, 1:27 PM
I hate being a skeptic

I don't think it's about being skeptical, but rather about being realistic.

Kapten
Dec 16, 2014, 5:44 PM
Perhaps they will open up new markets like Windsor & Halifax by only flying to these markets 1-2 times per week?

Zmonkey
Dec 17, 2014, 3:32 AM
Perhaps they will open up new markets like Windsor & Halifax by only flying to these markets 1-2 times per week?

hamilton? city of 500,000 plus, sits closer to Niagara a region of 450,000, plus all the Western suburbs of Toronto and Kitchener/ waterloo region are all fairly close to be attracted be cheaper fares.

Probably cheer to land there than YYZ.

craneSpotter
Dec 17, 2014, 6:20 PM
hamilton? city of 500,000 plus, sits closer to Niagara a region of 450,000, plus all the Western suburbs of Toronto and Kitchener/ waterloo region are all fairly close to be attracted be cheaper fares.

Probably cheer to land there than YYZ.

Hamilton -YHM is definitely on their radar, but probably not until late 2016 (or even later - should they launch and make it past 2015). I believe they need the 737-700/800 NG planes to make eastern routes/sun destinations work for them.

Initially their base will be YVR and flights will be from their base to points in the western Provinces...all crews will return to base each night.

Reading between the lines I can see a second, smaller crew/plane base set up at YEG within 36 months (jet service from YEG to YHM/YMM/YXE/YQR/YWG & winter sun spots are all possible). When/if they expand east I could see YHM as a low cost base that would work to attract the budget/leisure flight crowd. I also suspect that they have some sort of (unofficial) deal with resource companies to ferry workers to camps - and I don't just mean Ft Mac.

I think these guys have a shot, the ones that failed before had different business plans and either picked the wrong aircraft or wrong routes.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 19, 2014, 2:01 AM
AC launched daily 787s to NRT replacing the 763. This was the second YVR-Asia route to get Dreamlinered.

AC rouge launched new route to PHX.

AC rouge launched new route to PSP.

I'm about to experience rouge for the first time this weekend... HNL-YVR.

casper
Dec 19, 2014, 8:40 AM
AC launched daily 787s to NRT replacing the 763. This was the second YVR-Asia route to get Dreamlinered.

AC rouge launched new route to PHX.

AC rouge launched new route to PSP.

Not as bad as a many reports. Not certain about the 767, but I was on a Rogue 319 down to Las Vegas last month from Vancouver. Went down in Rogue Premium and back in a economy. Feels more like the Lufthansa or Air France continental Europe product.

Porfiry
Dec 19, 2014, 5:59 PM

God help you.

trofirhen
Dec 19, 2014, 6:46 PM
God help you.
Yikes!! Is Rouge as bad as you seem to imply? (service-wise, at any rate?)

excel
Dec 19, 2014, 7:07 PM
I flew Rouge YVR-HNL. It's not horrible but not great either. Luckily with their mediocre selection of movies and tv shows on their complimentary in flight entertainment system you can just watch a movie or two and pass the time.

Canadian74
Dec 19, 2014, 11:07 PM

I don't think service is that bad, it's the hard product that is bad - seats, ife, legroom etc.

Porfiry
Dec 20, 2014, 12:27 AM

You take your standard Air Canada 767 and cram in 70-90 more passengers. Have fun. :)

It might be tolerable for short haul, but HNL is a 6 hour flight. Sadly it seems they're intent on Rouge-ing every vacation destination in the network. Some more reading:
http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/air_canrge.htm

Klazu
Dec 20, 2014, 4:06 AM
You take your standard Air Canada 767 and cram in 70-90 more passengers. Have fun. :)

Are you sure about those numbers? Is that even possible? :???:

Gordon
Dec 20, 2014, 4:25 AM
Yes according to seat guru one of the rought cofingurations seats around 280.

ae there any updates on the pier A\B connector project?

Klazu
Dec 20, 2014, 8:30 AM
I had my first Dreamliner experience yesterday - twice! :) We were supposed to be flying Lufthansa via Frankfurt to Helsinki, but due to their plane running late on its way to Vancouver, they agreed to re-route us without extra charge with Air Canada through Toronto and Copenhagen. I was so delighted to find out that both of these legs happened to be onboard their brand new Dreamliners (very surprised by the CPH flight)!

What a fantastic plane it is. Such a different feeling of space and so quiet during take-off! Even flying in Economy was a breeze in comparison to some of the older places, like 747's, and I loved the 3+3+3 configuration. Entertainment system is well-designed, but I was surprised there still being some lag when using the system. Otherwise the it was a good experience and I hope to be able to fly with 787 soon again. :yes:

Canadian74
Dec 20, 2014, 2:53 PM

Rouge doesn't have J, which takes up more space. J is 1-1-1 while Rouge Premium Y is 2-2-2.

Cage
Dec 20, 2014, 4:49 PM

As stated above, removal of mainline business class with premium rouge and rouge plus adds a lot of seats. Also, with new slimline seats about 3-4 rows of seats are added.

casper
Dec 20, 2014, 5:26 PM
As stated above, removal of mainline business class with premium rouge and rouge plus adds a lot of seats. Also, with new slimline seats about 3-4 rows of seats are added.

The domestic business class seats also take up less space than the pods that open up into beds that are used on the mainline 767.

I have only been on the Rogue A319 aircraft in both premium and regular.

Regular Economy is a bit tighter partially due to these new slim seats and partially just do to less spacing. If you have been on Air France or Lufthansa A319 within Europe it is very similar. No inflight product, but they have iPads for rent. Same buy-on-board as Air Canada.

In Premium, again they are doing the same thing they do in Europe (and what WestJet is doing) for their business oriented product where they block the middle seat. In the case of rogue it is rogue coloured pillows and a fancy bow. Maybe a bit more space. The mean and wine/drinks are included and similar to business class on Air Canada. They also include free access to an iPad that access the streaming movies.

The inflight crew wear weird "hip" uniforms. The actually customer service is better than Air Canada mainline.

Rumours are that they plan to take the premium product back to being the domestic business class seats they use on the main Air Canada fleet domestically. That still leaves a lot of room on the 767 for all the extra economy seats.

casper
Dec 20, 2014, 5:28 PM
Rouge doesn't have J, which takes up more space. J is 1-1-1 while Rouge Premium Y is 2-2-2.

When those 767 use to be Canadian and Air Canada configuration in the 1990s it was 1-2-2 or something like that.

whatnext
Dec 21, 2014, 1:36 AM
The domestic business class seats also take up less space than the pods that open up into beds that are used on the mainline 767.

I have only been on the Rogue A319 aircraft in both premium and regular.

Regular Economy is a bit tighter partially due to these new slim seats and partially just do to less spacing. If you have been on Air France or Lufthansa A319 within Europe it is very similar. No inflight product, but they have iPads for rent. Same buy-on-board as Air Canada.

In Premium, again they are doing the same thing they do in Europe (and what WestJet is doing) for their business oriented product where they block the middle seat. In the case of rogue it is rogue coloured pillows and a fancy bow. Maybe a bit more space. The mean and wine/drinks are included and similar to business class on Air Canada. They also include free access to an iPad that access the streaming movies.

The inflight crew wear weird "hip" uniforms. The actually customer service is better than Air Canada mainline.

Rumours are that they plan to take the premium product back to being the domestic business class seats they use on the main Air Canada fleet domestically. That still leaves a lot of room on the 767 for all the extra economy seats.

Rouge Y class is a "must avoid" on the 319. If there's an alternative take it.

deasine
Dec 21, 2014, 1:34 PM
What a fantastic plane it is. Such a different feeling of space and so quiet during take-off! Even flying in Economy was a breeze in comparison to some of the older places, like 747's, and I loved the 3+3+3 configuration. Entertainment system is well-designed, but I was surprised there still being some lag when using the system. Otherwise the it was a good experience and I hope to be able to fly with 787 soon again. :yes:

You loved the 3-3-3?! It's like much tighter than the 3-3-3 found on the 777s. The Dreamliner was really designed for 8 across in a 2-4-2 configuration (though almost every airline has installed the latter 3-3-3 instead).

Take-off is definitely amazing but in-flight it was surprisingly a bit "louder" than I thought.

Johnny Aussie
Dec 21, 2014, 4:17 PM
Proud to say I just survived my first Rouge flight!

OK I was in row 1...

Left 50 mins late but only 4:46 flying time so gate contact was only 2 mins late.

7 flights from Hawaii in YVR customs at the same time.

SFUVancouver
Dec 22, 2014, 4:54 AM
Late last night I finished a three week, 16 flight, 78,800 km odyssey of business trips. I have been thoroughly enjoying the novelty of not being in an airplane seat today. Permit me to indulge for a moment as I list my itinerary:

YVR-HKG Cathay B773ER
HKG-JNB Cathay B773ER
JNB-HKG Cathay B773ER
HKG-YVR Cathay B773ER

YVR-DEN United CRJ-700
DEN-YVR United CRJ-700

YVR-YEG Westjet B736
YEG-YVR Westjet B738

YVR-LAX Westjet B738
LAX-SYD Qantas A388
SYD-TSV Jetstar A320
TSV-CNS Qantas Link Dash-8
CNS-OOL Jetstar A320
OOL-SYD Qantas B739
SYD-LAX Qantas B744
LAX-YVR Alaskan B738

Nothing but problems with Qantas. They lost my luggage, and eventually found it and reunited it with me two days later, but I had to buy new business clothes for the meeting for which I was in Townsville. Every single one of their flights was late and one was cancelled outright. To make matters worse, it was a 6:30am flight that was cancelled for which my colleague and I had to be up at 3:30am. Their SYD-LAX B744 was broken and we all had a 3 hour delay and half the plane missed their connections. En route, Quantas first said that I would be on a Westjet codeshare back to YVR but upon landing at LAX they said, nope, you're on Alaskan. I check in at Alaskan, they take my bag, they issue me a boarding pass, but during boarding they pull me aside because there's no actual ticket associated with the boarding pass. Everyone agrees it was strange and that Qantas screwed up, but they wouldn't let me on board the Alaskan flight until they were about to pull my bag and Qantas confirmed that I was a paying customer and someone just missed a step.

Anyway, it was such a pleasure to pull into YVR and know that I'm home safe. This year I've also earned my way from nothing to One World Sapphire as up this trip, so that's a definite plus for my travels in the new year.

Thought the A388 was an interesting aircraft. I was in the back and on the lower level as part of the steerage class ticket holders, but the airplane itself was brand new and quite nice. The Qantas economy seats were particularly impressive, with carbon-fiber seatbacks that presumably save a bit of weight and let them be a bit thinner, so the legroom and seat width were quite comfortable. The plane was a bit more quiet than a B744, but arguably on par with the B773ER. It's strange to be sitting there, looking at the ceiling, knowing that there's a whole other level to the plane.

Qantas updated their 744 fleet to the current B777 interior standard and use the same seats and entertainment system as their A388 fleet, so it's both brand new on the interior and comfortably familiar to the B773ER fleet that I have done most of my international flights on.

Hourglass
Dec 22, 2014, 6:57 AM
^^
That's some pretty heavy flying. Hope you were at or near the front of the plane...

I think my worst travel sequence was HKG-GUM-SFO-EWR-YVR-HKG over the space of 96 hours.

Klazu
Dec 22, 2014, 11:35 AM
Good to have you back, SFUVancouver! Nice report as well.

SFUVancouver
Dec 22, 2014, 7:25 PM
Thanks Klazu. It's good to be back. I thoroughly enjoyed my travels, airline hiccups aside, and the two international trips were in support of projects for which I am the project manager, so I felt a sense of ownership and purpose whilst travelling. As an airplane geek, it was pretty exciting to spend some time in LAX, JNB, HKG, and SYD and see the world's most modern wide-body long haul fleets in action. I went from having never seen an A388 in person to seeing them outnumber B744s (I saw a couple B748s, too!) at the major airports and even flying in one, all in one series of business trips.

deasine
Dec 23, 2014, 1:42 AM
Nothing but problems with Qantas. They lost my luggage, and eventually found it and reunited it with me two days later, but I had to buy new business clothes for the meeting for which I was in Townsville.

I hope you make a claim to Qantas directly for this. Just a bit of a tip, wait until you receive your oneworld Emerald status and then make a submission for compensation. From personal experiences as a Star Alliance Gold and former Skyteam Elite Plus, your status does have a lot of weight and airlines generally treat elites of partner carriers really well. I've also submitted claims in oneworld carriers, British Airways and Cathay Pacific, with no issue or question. I'm certain you will get at least a more reasonable compensation back along with potentially a voucher of sorts for future travel. And if you are not satisfied, push for your rights (though your compensation amount cannot be more than what the airline can compensate under the Montréal Convention).

Bare in mind though, I think any airline will have luggage issues so I wouldn't judge Qantas too much on this (even though luggage issues seem to be a very common critical element of airline customer service).

Large Cat
Dec 24, 2014, 5:50 PM
IMPORTANT AIRPORT UPDATE:

After flying Westjet a few days ago, I can confirm that Westjet Encore is now offering complementary wine and beer to economy passengers on all flights.

I assume this is to compete with Porter.

moosejaw
Dec 24, 2014, 11:44 PM
IMPORTANT AIRPORT UPDATE:

After flying Westjet a few days ago, I can confirm that Westjet Encore is now offering complementary wine and beer to economy passengers on all flights.

I assume this is to compete with Porter.

i flew westjet this afternoon
Im surprised their satellite service only works in Canada which was the last half hour of the the flight. kind of sucks they only had four channels in US airspace

nname
Dec 25, 2014, 3:03 AM
I know its years away, but GE (TransAsia Airways) planned to operate YVR-TPE route as early as 2019 using A330-800neo.

(source in Chinese (http://www.ttv.com.tw/103/12/1031224/1220142412053A54891EBAB24C0E9EE1AE60C00CFB012D82.htm))

excel
Dec 25, 2014, 6:07 AM
I know its years away, but GE (TransAsia Airways) planned to operate YVR-TPE route as early as 2019 using A330-800neo.

(source in Chinese (http://www.ttv.com.tw/103/12/1031224/1220142412053A54891EBAB24C0E9EE1AE60C00CFB012D82.htm))

Google Translate:

TransAsia Airways Group (6702) today (24) announced that for the future long-range aviation network layout to prepare, ordered four A330-800 neo new machine type, to become Asia's first one delivered this type of aircraft carriers, the first expected in 2018 since the fourth quarter may have cross-machine; on the other hand, re-Wu, general manager of Shanghai Airlines Chan said, Ming (2015) is expected in the first two quarters flight Guam, Tinian, right after his American Airlines, once the new machine in place, 2019 is expected to be completed by the target flight intercontinental routes.

To expand the business for the future operation of the kinetic energy and intercontinental routes to prepare (23) days of the Board to resume service yesterday by A330neo purchase plan, the new purchase four A330-800neo aircraft, the new machine the fastest since 2018 in the fourth quarter to pay machine, this section is Airbus aircraft this year launch of the new fuel-efficient environmentally friendly models.

American Airlines has recently re-apply for a tourist charter application Tinian, is expected to commence in the second half of next year, Fleming liter stated that the fight with the United States, operating flight qualification is the company's existing operational goals.
As to whether the new machine before the first post mining machine hire American way flight? Fleming liter respond reservations, only jokes "confidential," but "it is possible."
Shanghai student Wu further stated that the new fleet after joining can direct to Los Angeles, Chicago and even Vancouver, Canada, is expected to be completed by the 2019 target.
Switchboard resume service currently reaches 22 teams, respectively A330-300 2 架, A320 5 架, A321 6 架, ATR-72 9 frame, is expected next year and the introduction of two A330-300, so that the number of teams increased to 24 switchboard, continued inject growth momentum; new TransAsia Airways chief executive, said Chen Xinde, ATR and Airbus aircraft are in Europe, and strive to fleet and maintenance simplistic.

Hot Rod
Dec 25, 2014, 11:54 PM
too bad it's not Kaohsiung-YVR. We have so many TPE-Yvr options that it isn't as sexy to have another enter the market as it would be to get a new city pair from that country.

Kaohsiung is Taiwan's second city just as Vancouver is Canada's; it would be a nice pairing route akin to the other second city pairs we have (Osaka-Yvr, Frankfurt-Yvr, Chicago-Yvr, Guangzhou-Yvr) and desire (Melbourne-Yvr, Rio-Yvr).

excel
Dec 26, 2014, 1:24 AM
delete

Klazu
Dec 26, 2014, 4:04 AM
First Airbus A350 was delivered to Qatar Airways yesterday. When do you think we begin to see some A350 action on YVR and by which airline will it be? Suspecting Lufthansa to be among the first to fly a A350 to YVR in a couple of years...

Genauso
Dec 27, 2014, 5:20 AM
First Airbus A350 was delivered to Qatar Airways yesterday. When do you think we begin to see some A350 action on YVR and by which airline will it be? Suspecting Lufthansa to be among the first to fly a A350 to YVR in a couple of years...

For those who are interested, a video overview of the A350XWB's features.
9M_UWNVI6GU

According to Wikipedia its' direct competitors are the Boeing 777 & 787. There are lots of improvements to reduce the cost to the airline, and still improve the passenger experience.

Given that Airbus hasn't been much of a factor in the market during the A380 era, the renewed competition to sell/lease aircraft at lower prices and lower oil prices could make for passenger friendly prices that would do uncertain things to YVR's potential market.