PDA

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139

Johnny Aussie
Sep 12, 2015, 10:06 AM
So another boost to China capacity.

According to Airlineroute.net on Twitter.... effective 27 March 2016 the daily YVR-CAN flight will be upgauged from a 788 to a four class 77W.

This is an increase of over 80 seats per flight, a larger J class cabin and the introduction of premium economy.

Makes me wonder how long Air Canada will let them have this route all to themselves.... :runaway:

trofirhen
Sep 13, 2015, 2:40 AM
So another boost to China capacity.

According to Airlineroute.net on Twitter.... effective 27 March 2016 the daily YVR-CAN flight will be upgauged from a 788 to a four class 77W.

This is an increase of over 80 seats per flight, a larger J class cabin and the introduction of premium economy.

Makes me wonder how long Air Canada will let them have this route all to themselves.... :runaway:
Apparently, there is an upcoming AC YYZ-CAN route in the works. And this would connect directly to a roster
of AC flights to South America already in place. Makes me wonder if the Transit Hub dream for YVR will everbecome a reality, or if AC will siphon it all off through YYZ.
Excuse me for mentioning this yet again, but this would affect YVR Big Time, unless some South American carriers step in.
I sure hope we get LanChile, LanPeru, and something to Brazil: Avianca or such.

casper
Sep 13, 2015, 3:07 PM
Apparently, there is an upcoming AC YYZ-CAN route in the works. And this would connect directly to a roster
of AC flights to South America already in place. Makes me wonder if the Transit Hub dream for YVR will everbecome a reality, or if AC will siphon it all off through YYZ.
Excuse me for mentioning this yet again, but this would affect YVR Big Time, unless some South American carriers step in.
I sure hope we get LanChile, LanPeru, and something to Brazil, Avianca or such.

I don't know if they have it yet, but Air Canada and Air China were trying to get permission to operate flights between Canada and China as a joint venture. Not certain if they have government approval yet.

Johnny Aussie
Sep 14, 2015, 6:04 AM
http://airlineroute.net/2015/09/14/ws-lgw-s16/

YYZ Daily 76W
YYT Daily 73W
YVR 6 weekly 76W
YYC 5 weekly 76W
YEG 2 weekly 76W
YWG 1 weekly 76W

I was actually a bit surprised about YVR-LGW and at 6 weekly even.

Although YVR-UK is by far the second largest Canada-UK market.

Summer 2016 YVR-Europe flying just saw another big boost in seats.

So far:
TS adding one additional flight per week to LGW (increases to daily)
TS launching once weekly YVR-FCO
Condor increasing YVR-FRA to 5 weekly
Westjet adding 6 weekly YVR-LGW

YVR-UK just recovered all its lost capacity and then added some from the BA shuffle... Daily A380 from 12 weekly 744.

And... basically international for YVR for 2016 is shaping up to be another excellent growth year already... along with the above:

AM starting its daily flights to MEX
AC starting its new BNE service next June
CZ upgauging YVR-CAN to a 77W
airlineroute update ---> http://airlineroute.net/2015/09/14/cz-yvr-s16/
MU and CA continuing their increases
HU to start TJS
QF will continue to expand its YVR-SYD flights
NZ increasing AKL to daily (seasonal)
BR increasing TPE to 5 weekly year round

Did I miss anything?

trofirhen
Sep 14, 2015, 7:41 AM
I don't know if they have it yet, but Air Canada and Air China were trying to get permission to operate flights between Canada and China as a joint venture. Not certain if they have government approval yet.
I assume that would means flights to South America from YVR, too, or what?
It's the South American leg of the trips that concern me.
AC has it nailed down. Vancouver doesn't

Hourglass
Sep 14, 2015, 8:23 AM
I assume that would means flights to South America from YVR, too, or what?
It's the South American leg of the trips that concern me.
AC has it nailed down. Vancouver doesn't

The AC-CA joint-venture means the two carriers will share revenues on all their flights between Canada and China. Last I heard it was supposed to begin end-2015. Re your question Trof, a codeshare agreement would allow Air China to put its code on Air Canada flights to Latin America, but this wouldn't be part of the JV.

I can't be bothered to check the terms of the air services agreement between Canada and China, but any Chinese carrier opting to fly beyond YVR to points in Latin America probably needs 5th freedom rights to make the route viable, which most likely isn't allowed at the moment (CA originally planned a tag to Havana on their new Montreal flight, but iirc, couldn't pick up paying passengers on the YUL-HAV leg)

My personal opinion is that these sorts of joint-ventures are great for the airlines, but reduce choice for consumers. And I doubt it'll help with a YVR link to Latin America. It's more likely to benefit YYZ

trofirhen
Sep 14, 2015, 2:01 PM
The AC-CA joint-venture means the two carriers will share revenues on all their flights between Canada and China. Last I heard it was supposed to begin end-2015. .........
My personal opinion is that these sorts of joint-ventures are great for the airlines, but reduce choice for consumers. And I doubt it'll help with a YVR link to Latin America. It's more likely to benefit YYZ

Exactly. This YVR China-South America Transit hub dream of Craig Richmond may well remain just that - a dream.
AC will do everything possible to funnel South America-bound passengers through YYZ, and unless South American airlines like TAM, LanPeru, Avianca, etc
step up to the plate at YVR, this TWV will do little or nothing for YVR.
And that makes me angry.:hell:

MalcolmTucker
Sep 14, 2015, 3:13 PM
The joint venture is more about getting more and better slots at PEK no?

Johnny Aussie
Sep 15, 2015, 6:49 AM
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/air-new-zealand-pleased-to-seat-you-tour-showcases-new-777-200-products-for-north-american-travelers-300141881.html

Just some updated news on Air NZ's YVR-AKL route.

Effective 25 October 2015, Air NZ will deploy its refurbished 777-200ERs on the YVR route. This will also introduce their Economy SkyCouch product and their updated premium economy product. It also highlights the seasonal increase to daily over the peak winter holidays period.

Their new products are being promoted as part of a roadshow of sorts called "Please to Seat You" with various stops around Vancouver and then on to other areas of North America.

vanlaw
Sep 15, 2015, 5:38 PM
http://airlineroute.net/2015/09/14/ws-lgw-s16/

YYZ Daily 76W
YYT Daily 73W
YVR 6 weekly 76W
YYC 5 weekly 76W
YEG 2 weekly 76W
YWG 1 weekly 76W

I was actually a bit surprised about YVR-LGW and at 6 weekly even.

Although YVR-UK is by far the second largest Canada-UK market.

Summer 2016 YVR-Europe flying just saw another big boost in seats.

So far:
TS adding one additional flight per week to LGW (increases to daily)
TS launching once weekly YVR-FCO
Condor increasing YVR-FRA to 5 weekly
Westjet adding 6 weekly YVR-LGW

YVR-UK just recovered all its lost capacity and then added some from the BA shuffle... Daily A380 from 12 weekly 744.

And... basically international for YVR for 2016 is shaping up to be another excellent growth year already... along with the above:

AM starting its daily flights to MEX
AC starting its new BNE service next June
CZ upgauging YVR-CAN to a 77W
airlineroute update ---> http://airlineroute.net/2015/09/14/cz-yvr-s16/
MU and CA continuing their increases
HU to start TJS
QF will continue to expand its YVR-SYD flights
NZ increasing AKL to daily (seasonal)
BR increasing TPE to 5 weekly year round

Did I miss anything?

I was just searching some random dates in June and July on Westjet's website for YVR-LGW. Sale price right now is around $750 return tax-in. Quite cheap for summer travel, and LGW is a great base for cheap Easyjet flights throughout Europe.

trofirhen
Sep 15, 2015, 8:32 PM
HU = Hainan Airlines. TJS = TANJUNG SELOR AIRPORT, Indonesia???? Is that correct or did I make a mistake?:???:

nname
Sep 15, 2015, 9:22 PM
HU = Hainan Airlines. TJS = TANJUNG SELOR AIRPORT, Indonesia???? Is that correct or did I make a mistake?:???:

I think he meant TSN

Johnny Aussie
Sep 15, 2015, 9:43 PM
To quote Notting Hill.... "woopsy daisies"

Thanks for the heads up... Aaaannnddd

Corrected!

nname
Sep 16, 2015, 1:17 AM
Did I miss anything?

According to Sing Tao Daily, MF will be starting XMN-YVR next year.

(Source in Chinese (http://vancouver.singtao.ca/213691))

trofirhen
Sep 16, 2015, 1:36 AM

Wow. YVR will be the only North American to get flights from Xiamen. Currently, their non-Chinese destinations include Manila, Tokyo, Seoul, Osaka, Singapore, with Amsterdam being the only European destination. YVR is going big time.

Hourglass
Sep 16, 2015, 4:48 AM

This flight has been rumored for a while. Good to see it happening, if this article is accurate.

Key points from the article:
- Xiamen Airlines will open up direct access to Vancouver next year as its first North American route.
- There are some 70K people from the Fujian region living in metro Vancouver, offering a large potential market for these flights
- direct flights will eliminate the need to transit (citing HKG as the transit point) saving passengers up to 6 hours in travel time

Johnny Aussie
Sep 16, 2015, 7:17 AM

Tick... Another one!

So by next summer YVR could be served by:

Air China
China Eastern
China Southern
Sichuan
Hainan
Xiamen

With direct flights to:

Beijing
Shanghai
Guangzhou
Shenyang
Chengdu
Tianjin
Kunming
Xiamen

Like Hainan, haven't seen anything official yet but if this leak is true..... excellent!

Definitely has been in the works for awhile but hadn't heard anything in awhile.... fingers crossed.

trofirhen
Sep 16, 2015, 11:37 AM
So XIAMEN is both a destination city and and airline name. (?)

osirisboy
Sep 16, 2015, 4:14 PM
What's mf?

And it seems odd that there's no Singapore still (I know we had it before)

Thanks johnny for your info. And thank you for putting full names. It's hard trying to decipher a lot of these new cities and airlines lmao

Large Cat
Sep 16, 2015, 4:25 PM
Not sure if posted here yet, but Westjet just announced seasonal London Vancouver flights starting at 199 each way. Here's a pic of their 767 from their Twitter:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNZjMG8UcAASQAf.jpg

Klazu
Sep 16, 2015, 4:27 PM
I think one problem Singapore has is that flying from Vancouver it doesn't offer more direct transit to any major cities. Most of the cities in that part of the world are better served by transiting through other Asian cities. Singapore would mostly be a destination city from Vancouver and I don't know if there is enough traffic for that.

It used to be different when we didn't yet have so many flights to other Asian cities.

Klazu
Sep 16, 2015, 4:29 PM
Not sure if posted here yet, but Westjet just announced seasonal London Vancouver flights starting at 199 each way.

I think it was $199 from St John's and $299 from Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton. And it is one way, so really $600/return, which is still okay, but not that spectacular.

trofirhen
Sep 16, 2015, 5:22 PM
I think one problem Singapore has is that flying from Vancouver it doesn't offer more direct transit to any major cities. Most of the cities in that part of the world are better served by transiting through other Asian cities. Singapore would mostly be a destination city from Vancouver and I don't know if there is enough traffic for that.

It used to be different when we didn't yet have so many flights to other Asian cities.
A great connection for YVR would be IST, but due to the limitations of the bilateral with Turkey, Toronto has that one locked down.
A shame, becuase it would serve YVR much better than DBX.

trofirhen
Sep 16, 2015, 5:38 PM
I think it was $199 from St John's and $299 from Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton. And it is one way, so really $600/return, which is still okay, but not that spectacular.
Not that spectacular, eh!! Try CDG - YVR return!!! Well over twice that price!! :irked:

Klazu
Sep 16, 2015, 6:06 PM
Sure, but there have been similar bargain prices every now and then. It is nothing completely unheard of was my point.

Johnny Aussie
Sep 16, 2015, 10:53 PM
Sure, but there have been similar bargain prices every now and then. It is nothing completely unheard of was my point.

I think these intro fares also included peak summer? That's where the $600 return is really amazing.

I'm still surprised YVR was included in the launch and 6 weekly even more impressive. Even more than YYC. I would have expected something more like YVR and YEG shared a daily like 4/3 or 3/4 and YYC daily. But then thinking about it again and looking at the market stats YVR just couldn't be ignored as its European O&D is much larger than most people probably think.

Why else would the Summer 2016 European Scheds look like this for a city of 2.5 million and being the westernmost major city in Canada:

Sorry back to the codes again!!

LHR: Daily AC 77W HD; Daily BA 388
LGW: Daily TS 332; 6pw WS 76W
MAN: 2pw TS 332
GLA: 1pw TS 332
KEF: 3pw FI 75W
AMS: Daily KL 772; 3pw TS 332
CDG: 5pw AF 772; 3pw TS 332
FRA: Daily LH 744; 5pw DE 76W
MUC: Daily LH 333
ZRH: 3pw WK 332/333
FCO: 1pw TS 332

That's 74 flights per week... I'm impressed.

Some forum members seem obsessed with focussing on how screwed or how YVR is in some sort of danger of being caught in a downward spiral on verge of collapse. There also seems to be some sort of focus on how YVR is not being able to grow without South American connections. Ummm YVR seems to be just ticking along nicely folks. Even if the evil and wicked YYZ were to somehow "steal" all this traffic... How would this disadvantage YVR? Perhaps I am obsessed with showing the opposite. There are sooooo many positive things going on at YVR (just keep scrolling up and up and up) and I think the moves of many (yes many) airlines lately probably support the latter view. So I just don't get this obsession/fear.

Johnny Aussie
Sep 17, 2015, 5:29 AM
The good news just keeps rolling.... another airline just announced additional capacity next year....

Not surprisingly, Qantas will be back again next summer for its peak Northern Summer seasonal services. Summer 2016 will see an additional 7 return services compared to Summer 2015. I will assume QF has been more than satisfied with their YVR services.

The info is included in this press release towards the bottom.

http://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media-releases/qantas-to-take-australians-to-holiday-in-bali-this-summer/

Just waiting on the delivery of QF's 789s to what should lead to daily year-round SYD-YVR services.

trofirhen
Sep 17, 2015, 5:50 AM
The good news just keeps rolling.... another airline just announced additional capacity next year....

Not surprisingly, Qantas will be back again next summer for its peak Northern Summer seasonal services. Summer 2016 will see an additional 7 return services compared to Summer 2015. I will assume QF has been more than satisfied with their YVR services.

The info is included in this press release towards the bottom.

http://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media-releases/qantas-to-take-australians-to-holiday-in-bali-this-summer/

Just waiting on the delivery of QF's 789s to what should lead to daily year-round SYD-YVR services.
Thanks, Johnny! Do you think QF will ever be interested in a YVR-MEL route, when they get their new 789s?

Johnny Aussie
Sep 17, 2015, 7:18 AM
Thanks, Johnny! Do you think QF will ever be interested in a YVR-MEL route, when they get their new 789s?

They have publicly mentioned MEL-DFW as one of the new routes for their 789s. However, I think it would be awhile before we see a MEL-YVR nonstop on QF. SYD-YVR almost seems to be a sure thing if not the launch route or at least one of the launch routes.

Johnny Aussie
Sep 17, 2015, 7:24 AM
CA has just added seven additional round trips from PEK - YVR over the Xmas period and all will be on 77Ws.

These flights are of course in addition to the daily 77W afternoon departure from YVR.

Flights will operate on 17, 18, 20, 22 and 31 December and 1, 3 January.

Flight times as follows:

CA997 PEK1200 - 0600YVR 77W
CA998 YVR1000 - 1335PEK 77W

trofirhen
Sep 17, 2015, 10:56 AM

They have publicly mentioned MEL-DFW as one of the new routes for their 789s. However, I think it would be awhile before we see a MEL-YVR nonstop on QF. SYD-YVR almost seems to be a sure thing if not the launch route or at least one of the launch routes.
Interesting, as Melbourne is growing so fast, it is expected to become -once again - the largest city in Australia in 20 years +/-.
I wonder if in that case it would present an equally profitable market or not.

Johnny Aussie
Sep 18, 2015, 9:32 AM
http://www.jetlines.ca/inovent-capital-and-canada-jetlines-reach-settlement/

Canada Jetlines ordered to pay Inovent $105,000 and issue them warrants... Blah... Blah... Blah...

Skeptical as to this ever taking off.

And what about the other mobs NewLeaf or JetNaked... all gone quiet on the ULCC startup front....

CareerShow
Sep 19, 2015, 9:25 PM
Just saw on Wikipedia Alaska is ending their YVR LAX flight. Anyone know of any truth to this?

SpongeG
Sep 20, 2015, 10:00 AM

the prices i saw showed, $299 from vancouver, $399 from edmonton and calgary

Johnny Aussie
Sep 20, 2015, 11:03 AM
On the load factor front all of YVR's UK routes performed very well.

Of course in peak summer, one would expect results along these lines:

YVR-LHR 97.4%
YVR-LGW 95.5%
YVR-MAN 93.0%
YVR-GLA 88.7%

Perhaps Westjet is on to something on YVR-LGW :)

Source: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/80/airport_data_prov/201508/August_2015_Provisional_International_Routes.pdf

Johnny Aussie
Sep 20, 2015, 11:14 AM
the prices i saw showed, $299 from vancouver, $399 from edmonton and calgary

Klasu was correct.

It's all here in their press releases:

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/media-investors/index.shtml

$299 from YVR, YYC and YEG

trofirhen
Sep 20, 2015, 3:31 PM
Klasu was correct.

It's all here in their press releases:

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/media-investors/index.shtml

$299 from YVR, YYC and YEG
Sheesh, that is a bargain. Too bad they'll never do YVR-CDG (or even ORY, for that matter)

Chikinlittle
Sep 20, 2015, 10:01 PM

I would guess AC picks up MEL before QF starts any year-round service into YVR from any point in Aus.

Johnny Aussie
Sep 21, 2015, 4:48 AM
I would guess AC picks up MEL before QF starts any year-round service into YVR from any point in Aus.

I'll bet QF starts SYD-YVR year-round before AC starts MEL-YVR. Just a hunch.

Johnny Aussie
Sep 21, 2015, 4:53 AM
Good to see ANA continuing the 788 on YVR-HND for more of the winter now.

The flights were to revert back to a 763 for the entire winter schedule.

The 788 used on HND-YVR is configured with 240 seats 42J/198Y. The 763 is configured with 214 seats 35J/179Y.

The flight reverts back to a daily 763 effective 11 January through the rest of the winter.

http://airlineroute.net/2015/09/21/nh-yvr-w15update2/

CareerShow
Oct 1, 2015, 9:35 PM
Out of the blue but YVR has landed National airlines with a two weekly Orlando service
http://www.yvr.ca/en/flight-information/latest-information/15-10-01/YVR_Welcomes_National_Airlines_to_Vancouver-3723900637.aspx

Denscity
Oct 1, 2015, 10:06 PM
Cool yet another airline. How many are we at like 45? Don't know much about National.

trofirhen
Oct 2, 2015, 12:46 AM
Cool yet another airline. How many are we at like 45? Don't know much about National.
Yeah, wow!! Orlando yet!! National Airlines is a smallish airline offering on-demand cargo and charter services. fleet size, 4 jets, based in Orlando.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Airlines_%28N8%29

Not the rather large Miami-based airline that existed up to 1980 with many southeast USA and European destinations.

Klazu
Oct 2, 2015, 12:49 AM

Small airline. Their cargo 747 had a huge crash in 2013 that was caught on dashcam. Plane stalled upon take-off due to load balance change. Pretty interesting case.

lksDISvCmNI

casper
Oct 2, 2015, 2:19 AM
Yeah, wow!! Orlando yet!! National Airlines is a smallish airline offering on-demand cargo and charter services. fleet size, 4 jets, based in Orlando.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Airlines_%28N8%29

Not the rather large Miami-based airline that existed up to 1980 with many southeast USA and European destinations.

Weird Airlines. I believe its thing for many years was transporting the US Military around.

Is this being subsidized by the cruise ship industry of is there another motivation for these flights?

Johnny Aussie
Oct 2, 2015, 2:32 AM
Weird Airlines. I believe its thing for many years was transporting the US Military around.

Is this being subsidized by the cruise ship industry of is there another motivation for these flights?

Probably just trying to tap YVR into one of the largest tourist centres in the world. If this were targeting the cruise ships this flight would more likely go to FLL or even MIA.

Just when WS was taking a stab at this untapped nonstop route.

I agree with CareerShow this just kind of came out of nowhere.

Good news anyway, another new carrier and a new airport as well since this is going to Sanford (SFB) and not MCO which is where Westjet will be flying to from YVR.

The YVR launch is part of this press release. Scroll down.... LOL

https://www.nationalairlines.com/news/national-airlines-windsor-to-sanford-orlando

Johnny Aussie
Oct 3, 2015, 9:13 AM
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/10/new-vancouver-to-orlando-flights-begin-january-2016/

Towards the end of the article, a decent little summary of recent flight additions and upcoming new flights as well.

Air Transat to FCO missing on this list.

YVR Bruce
Oct 6, 2015, 2:15 PM
In the past few weeks I have had great difficulty accessing this site. Am I the only one having trouble - getting stopped at the CIBC or TD ad (etc)?

s211
Oct 6, 2015, 2:43 PM
In the past few weeks I have had great difficulty accessing this site. Am I the only one having trouble - getting stopped at the CIBC or TD ad (etc)?

Ditto. I get the same problem, sometimes but not always, when clicking on the newest posts button.

Mike K.
Oct 6, 2015, 4:58 PM
We are working to stop these rogue ads from appearing. We're very sorry for the inconvenience.

What would be most helpful is to send us your IP address together with the exact moment you get redirected or have a problem with an ad, and the URL you are redirected to with the name of the advertiser. This can be used by the networks to flag the nuisance advertiser. Unfortunately these things do happen and we do appreciate any help we can get to nail these guys.

Johnny Aussie
Oct 6, 2015, 8:44 PM
Not a huge biggy but KLM is revising its operational equipment on YVR-AMS for Spring 2016.

The flight reverts back to daily as per normal on 27 March however the route will be operated by a daily 333 from the 27 March to 30 April.

The route then will be operated by a daily 772 from 1 May until the end of October as originally planned.

http://airlineroute.net/2015/10/06/kl-s16update3/

trofirhen
Oct 8, 2015, 2:09 AM
Not a huge biggy but KLM is revising its operational equipment on YVR-AMS for Spring 2016.

The flight reverts back to daily as per normal on 27 March however the route will be operated by a daily 333 from the 27 March to 30 April.

The route then will be operated by a daily 772 from 1 May until the end of October as originally planned.

http://airlineroute.net/2015/10/06/kl-s16update3/
From this it would appear KLM to Vancouver is seasonal. Is it not year-round??

Spork
Oct 8, 2015, 3:57 AM
From this it would appear KLM to Vancouver is seasonal. Is it not year-round??

I believe that it is 4 weekly in the winter, with the other 3 flights going to Calgary.

Johnny Aussie
Oct 8, 2015, 4:15 AM
I believe that it is 4 weekly in the winter, with the other 3 flights going to Calgary.

YVR-AMS is 5 weekly in winter, daily in summer
YYC-AMS is 6 weekly in winter, daily in summer

Both routes see a bump in capacity next summer due to both routes going daily 772.

My post was just in relation to operating equipment. Originally the upgauge to a 772 was due to commence on 27 March. This is the same date the route reverts back to a daily service.

craneSpotter
Oct 13, 2015, 1:47 AM
1.9% passenger growth @ YVR for the month of August.

There were 2,145,743 passengers in August 2015, compared to 2,086,915 in 2014.Not spectacular, but growth nonetheless. I was expecting a bit better...domestic was actually negative! Bright spot was Asia-pacific traffic being up 9.6%.

http://www.yvr.ca/Libraries/Aviation_Marketing/August_2015_Traffic_Update.sflb.ashx

Coldrsx
Oct 13, 2015, 2:01 AM
KLM YVR, YYC, YEG, ain't it nice:)

Klazu
Oct 13, 2015, 4:41 AM
...and booked! I have some serious Dreamliner action ahead of me in just three weeks from now! :)

YVR-YYZ Air Canada 787-8
YYZ-SCL Air Canada 77W
SCL-IPC LAN Airlines 787-8
IPC-SCL LAN Airlines 787-9
SCL-YYZ Air Canada 77W
YYZ-YVR Air Canada 787-9

So four flights on two different Dreamliners on both Air Canada and LAN Airlines. Can't wait! :tup:

My trip would really benefit from YVR having a South American connection. It is not too bad via YYZ either, as it takes me 17 hours to get from Vancouver to Santiago. It would take an hour less with American Airlines through DFW, which is the fastest connection. So the difference is not huge, of course direct flight would be even faster than that...

This is a pretty ad-hoc trip that I only began planning few days ago. Seems to be a decent time to travel to Chile but too bad that the ski season is already over. I am really looking forward to visiting the most remote island in the world, Easter Island. :)

trofirhen
Oct 13, 2015, 3:40 PM
...and booked! I have some serious Dreamliner action ahead of me in just three weeks from now! :)

YVR-YYZ Air Canada 787-8
YYZ-SCL Air Canada 77W
SCL-YYZ Air Canada 77W
YYZ-YVR Air Canada 787-9
............. WOW!! The trip of a lifetime !!
.........all dreamliners, too ......

My trip would really benefit from YVR having a South American connection. It is not too bad via YYZ either, as it takes me 17 hours to get from Vancouver to Santiago. It would take an hour less with American Airlines through DFW, which is the fastest connection.
So the difference is not huge, of course direct flight would be even faster than that...

I am really looking forward to visiting the most remote island in the world, Easter Island. :)

I think (although Ottawa will make bilaterals as tight as possible), that a direct Lima flight is pretty sure onstream, as may well be SCL, when this TWV thing is concluded.
Also, would it not be even closer via Mexico City?

BTW, I looked up the nonstop YVR-SCL route on air miles flight calculator, and it's 6558 miles/ 10554 km, takes 13 hours, and passes right over the Mexico City Region.
http://www.airmilescalculator.com/distance/yvr-to-scl/

Klazu
Oct 13, 2015, 3:48 PM
Not sure about MEX, as it didn't come up in any of the search engines I used. Even if it would have, I am pretty sure that for this price I would have sticked to flying with Air Canada. Even American Airlines flights via DFW would have been on a 767, so no thanks.

Although it will be interesting to fly LAN 787s, I read online that they have been cramping their Dreamliners with extra seat rows, so not sure how comfortable those 5 hours flights over South Pacific will be. But they are the only airline flying to Easter Island, so it is not like there would be any other option...

Having LIM connection would be cool, as I want to make the trip to Machu Picchu one day. Also, LAN seems to have good connections from there onwards.

SFUVancouver
Oct 13, 2015, 7:02 PM

YVR-YYZ Air Canada 787-8
YYZ-SCL Air Canada 77W
SCL-YYZ Air Canada 77W
YYZ-YVR Air Canada 787-9

So four flights on two different Dreamliners on both Air Canada and LAN Airlines. Can't wait! :tup:

My trip would really benefit from YVR having a South American connection. It is not too bad via YYZ either, as it takes me 17 hours to get from Vancouver to Santiago. It would take an hour less with American Airlines through DFW, which is the fastest connection. So the difference is not huge, of course direct flight would be even faster than that...

This is a pretty ad-hoc trip that I only began planning few days ago. Seems to be a decent time to travel to Chile but too bad that the ski season is already over. I am really looking forward to visiting the most remote island in the world, Easter Island. :)

Very cool, Klazu. Have a great time with the new Boeing equipment and your vacation. Please share some photos of Easter Island, and the Dreamliners.

Klazu
Oct 13, 2015, 7:20 PM
Thanks! Anyone know if Air Canada has HD configuration on their 777s between YYZ and SCL? I wasn't able to quickly find the answer, but would not like to experience that. Only my second time on a 777 also and I like the massive plane.

Klazu
Oct 13, 2015, 7:28 PM
From Canada section. Not sure this has been discussed before.

Air Canada released this in August 2015

http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/media/presentations/documents/ben_smith_las_vegas_aug312015.pdf

http://i59.tinypic.com/5ycai9.png

2018 potential International routes

YUL Shanghai, Algiers, Tel Aviv, Beirut, Dakar, Tunis, Naples and other cities but its hard to see.

YYZ Mumbai, Moscow, Delhi, Johannesburg, Buenos Aires, Accra, Lagos and more!!

YVR Singapore, Bangkok, Taipei, Osaka and more!

YYC Beijing and Paris.

And some information on China passenger traffic
http://i59.tinypic.com/t9bq7c.jpg

trofirhen
Oct 13, 2015, 7:51 PM
In fact, it has been discussed, and there was the same link posted sometime back.
Nevertheless, it's a super topic (I think), and needs to be discussed more.
What I want to know is: given that all AC Asia-South America traffic will go via YYZ, will there be other South American airlines that will meet up with all the China flights at YVR?
We deserve some of that upcoming "connector hub" action, and Air Canada isn't giving us any, despite a few more Pacific destinations. Melbourne and Sapporo will be nice.

LeftCoaster
Oct 13, 2015, 8:01 PM

There were 2,145,743 passengers in August 2015, compared to 2,086,915 in 2014.Not spectacular, but growth nonetheless. I was expecting a bit better...domestic was actually negative! Bright spot was Asia-pacific traffic being up 9.6%.

http://www.yvr.ca/Libraries/Aviation_Marketing/August_2015_Traffic_Update.sflb.ashx

Wow, no way to sugar coat that, simply awful numbers. What happened?

Same growth rate as YYC, half the growth of YUL?

Air cargo down nearly 7%??

Any explanation as to what happened at YVR in August? I was expecting ~5% growth.

Valley_Refugee
Oct 13, 2015, 8:35 PM
Wow, no way to sugar coat that, simply awful numbers. What happened?

Same growth rate as YYC, half the growth of YUL?

Air cargo down nearly 7%??

Any explanation as to what happened at YVR in August? I was expecting ~5% growth.

Perhaps because in 2014, Labour Day was September 1st, making the end of August a very busy travel time? Although the organic growth should still compensate...

Johnny Aussie
Oct 13, 2015, 9:35 PM
Did somebody slam on the brakes in August?

Growth is good... But really that is a bit of a shock. Bordering on abysmal. Hope this is just a blip. Still it is the highest growth of the "more major" airports in the region. YLW, YEG, YMM all down, YYJ squeeked out a 0.3% gain and YYC at 1.8%. Slowdowns in nearby regions surely must be having an effect.

Asia Pacific does stand out but Europe was flat and transborder certainly slowed. I added to those numbers this year :)

As for cargo? :shrug:

The YVR website still has July on their stats page so this link is through their libraries...

trofirhen
Oct 13, 2015, 9:43 PM

Yes, and Europe was in second spot at pushing 7, at 6.7 //// Can't understand that 7% drop in air freight, though.
All in all, all the passenger stats are outperforming last year, except a very small few (and mostly non-runway).
The air cargo drop is the real shock and downer, I admit, but would anyone say nonetheless that YVR will see 20m+ pax this year?

Klazu
Oct 13, 2015, 10:18 PM
Downtown hotel reservations were at something like 99% in August. Perhaps availability of accommodation peaked and made a new ceiling for growth? :shrug:

trofirhen
Oct 13, 2015, 10:32 PM
Downtown hotel reservations were at something like 99% in August. Perhaps availability of accommodation peaked and made a new ceiling for growth? :shrug:
Are you implying the building of more hotel space? So have we maxed out, ready for a new Sofitel, or such?

Johnny Aussie
Oct 14, 2015, 2:27 AM
.... but would anyone say nonetheless that YVR will see 20m+ pax this year?

Despite the August slowdown, in order for YVR to hit 20,000,000.... growth would have to average out at ~ 0.2% for the remaining four months.

Coldrsx
Oct 14, 2015, 2:36 AM
I like to be fortunate too!

Gordon
Oct 14, 2015, 3:09 AM
YVR still saw its busiest day ever in Aug 75000

Infrequent Poster
Oct 14, 2015, 3:23 AM
I like to be fortunate too!

I feel like I need to understand this comment.

ACT7
Oct 14, 2015, 4:34 AM

YVR-YYZ Air Canada 787-8
YYZ-SCL Air Canada 77W
SCL-YYZ Air Canada 77W
YYZ-YVR Air Canada 787-9

Have fun on Easter Island. I went 5 years ago and it still ranks as one of the best vacations of my life.

Spikester
Oct 14, 2015, 11:46 AM

Very nice. I'm extremely jealous. I've seen a lot of 787s go together, but still haven't flown on one.

Klazu
Oct 14, 2015, 2:27 PM
Very nice. I'm extremely jealous. I've seen a lot of 787s go together, but still haven't flown on one.

Well your chances are increasing quickly. :) Already one third of all Dreamliners orders (over 330 planes) have already been deliver, so they are getting more and more common. We are pretty lucky to have several Dreamliners fly between YVR and YYZ as part of their layovers in YVR. I think that might be the only domestic Dreamliner route in Canada?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/timeline/4b7db53780b3e9f0b06f7393e3c01a47.png

In my home country Finnair had their first A350 delivered. Would love to get a chance to fly that place, but I never fly on their Asia routes. Have to wait until we begin to see some A350s in here perhaps next year. :rolleyes:

connect2source
Oct 14, 2015, 5:45 PM
In my home country Finnair had their first A350 delivered. Would love to get a chance to fly that place, but I never fly on their Asia routes. Have to wait until we begin to see some A350s in here perhaps next year. :rolleyes:

Here's a link to Finnair's first A350 commercial flight via airliners.net

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/269052/

..and some pics

The A350 will be far more comfy in economy than the Dreamliner, it was intended for 9 abreast whereas the 787 was intended for 8 and airlines have since squeezed in an additional seat per row. Our best hope at YVR for A350 service will likely be Cathay Pacific who have 46 on order.

photos by : Andy Smulders | BTmagazine.nt

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag130/Dean_Ellison/20151009025-Finnair-Airbus-A350-XWB-Schiphol_zpsa18tqvez.jpg

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag130/Dean_Ellison/20151009031-Finnair-Airbus-A350-XWB-Schiphol_zps9henuge4.jpg

Gordon
Oct 14, 2015, 6:27 PM
How about Luthansa yvr - FRA thay have 26 ordered

Gordon
Oct 14, 2015, 6:45 PM
Can Q400's use jet bridges a pier B , because encore is now using B22 regularly?

trofirhen
Oct 14, 2015, 7:03 PM
How about Luthansa yvr - FRA thay have 26 ordered
Maybe in the peak season. Hey, BA is going to use the Airbus380 next summer, so why not?

Klazu
Oct 14, 2015, 7:03 PM
Yeah, I think Lufthansa and Cathay Pacific will be our first A350s. Both will get their first planes next year.

The A350 will be far more comfy in economy than the Dreamliner, it was intended for 9 abreast whereas the 787 was intended for 8 and airlines have since squeezed in an additional seat per row.

I think it is just a matter of time before airlines start squeezing in more seats in their A350s. That seems to be the trend and Finnair's 78cm of leg room is not any better than on Air Canada planes (excluding Rouge). But you are right that there is slightly more space side-wise.

I hope Airbus follows Boeing's example and begins to install larger cabin luggage bins on their planes. Dreamliners have larger bins from the get-go and I am sure A350s do as well, but I haven't read about Airbus going to retrofit larger bins on smaller planes. Alaska Airlines is the first to do so on their 737s.

SFUVancouver
Oct 14, 2015, 11:01 PM
^ Re: overhead luggage bins. I'm always surprised at how small the overhead bins are in A320s compared to B737s. The overhead bins in the A380 were fine, essentially a B747 size, though not quite the cavernous depths of the B777 bins. A330 bins felt small, but with there only being two outboard seats (2-4-2), there isn't as much competition for those bins. Hands down, the B777 overhead bins are the best in the sky.

connect2source
Oct 15, 2015, 12:18 AM
Doubt that the A350 will go 10 abreast, perhaps some high density charter ops, it's been optimized for 9 abreast and will likely have a great CASM with that arrangement.

10 abreast would be sub 17" wide, even the 787 at 9 abreast is about 17" which is extremely narrow to most people hence the complaints about the 787s and the Air Canada HD 777s.

Emirates IS looking at and 11 abreast option for their A380's but even at 11 abreast, A380 seats will still be 18" wide.

connect2source
Oct 15, 2015, 12:26 AM
I hope Airbus follows Boeing's example and begins to install larger cabin luggage bins on their planes. Dreamliners have larger bins from the get-go and I am sure A350s do as well, but I haven't read about Airbus going to retrofit larger bins on smaller planes. Alaska Airlines is the first to do so on their 737s.

United has been retrofitting their A320s and A319s with much larger bins, the pivot style ones like in 777s and 787s.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/united-upgrades-airbus-fleet-new-seats-larger-luggage-bins-wifi

Johnny Aussie
Oct 15, 2015, 4:27 AM
Effective May 16 2016 LH is putting the A340-600 on three of the seven weekly flights on the seasonal YVR-MUC route

A nice little bump of over 150 seats per week.

http://airlineroute.net/2015/10/15/lh-s16update1

vanlaw
Oct 15, 2015, 3:14 PM
Effective May 16 2016 LH is putting the A340-600 on three of the seven weekly flights on the seasonal YVR-MUC route

A nice little bump of over 150 seats per week.

http://airlineroute.net/2015/10/15/lh-s16update1

Nice! That's the plane with the downstairs washrooms. Frees up a lot of space for seats.

s211
Oct 15, 2015, 3:19 PM
Nice! That's the plane with the downstairs washrooms. Frees up a lot of space for seats.

I've not been on one of those planes before. Do they still have a washroom on the main level for handicap access?

vanlaw
Oct 15, 2015, 4:57 PM
I've not been on one of those planes before. Do they still have a washroom on the main level for handicap access?

I'd imagine there would be access to the washrooms in business for those situations.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Lufthansa/Lufthansa_Airbus_A340-600_new.php

connect2source
Oct 15, 2015, 7:15 PM
Flew LH A346 YVR-FRA in Sep 2013, all lavs downstairs were standard size, I thought it was innovative to have them downstairs, it became quite the social gathering place a few hours into the flight once everyone had a cocktail or two. I did notice many of the older passengers having a tough time with the stairs, however.

Great plane to fly on, the 2-4-2 configuration is the best!

s211
Oct 15, 2015, 7:36 PM
I'd imagine there would be access to the washrooms in business for those situations.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Lufthansa/Lufthansa_Airbus_A340-600_new.php

Thanks. Good to know.

SFUVancouver
Oct 15, 2015, 7:49 PM
Re: Lufthansa A340 YVR-MUN up-gauge, cool! I fly through Munich with some regularity (was just there last week where I spoke at a conference) and I am quite smitten with the A333 2-4-2 seating configuration. Most of my long haul flights have been on B777s, B747s, and A380s, but I have been on A333s for the YVR-MUN run on a few occasions now. The A340 family is the same fuselage (and wing) as the A330 family, so the economy seating configuration would be the same, I expect.

Klazu
Oct 15, 2015, 9:08 PM
what I hate about A330 is that there is some box (life vest?) under every seat and it takes a lot of the space from your feet. I haven't notice the same on other airplanes.

LeftCoaster
Oct 15, 2015, 9:17 PM
^Drives me nuts, totally kills the leg room for anyone around 6 feet tall. I always pick the 787 or 77W over the 333 on the YYZ-YVR route for that exact reason. Also because the 787 is just so damn nice and has the new entertainment systems.

Good news about MUC, I still can't wrap my head around the terrible August numbers, so any good news is welcome. Would be nice if they were able to run it year round soon, but that might be a ways off.

Just noticed that even though growth was pretty abysmal, August was YVRs busiest month ever at 2.125 million passengers. Just for perspective, that's about half of what YEG's terminal has pulled all year in just one month.

SFUVancouver
Oct 15, 2015, 9:57 PM
what I hate about A330 is that there is some box (life vest?) under every seat and it takes a lot of the space from your feet. I haven't notice the same on other airplanes.

I've encountered that as well, including my outbound flight to Munich a couple weeks ago. On the return flight (also an Lufthansa A333) the box wasn't present and I had unrestricted leg room. I have also encountered the same thing on some older B777 equipment and I think that it has something to do with the in-flight entertainment system, as opposed to the life jackets, which are snug under the seat cushion of one's seat. The worst was an ancient, creaking American Airlines B772 that I took from DFW to LHR this past March. I swear the box under the seat in front of me was the size of a toaster and the passenger beside me filled the whole area under her seat with huge reusable shopping bags of stuff that spilled over into my already-limited foot room. I basically had no leg room for the whole flight. Plus, because the in-flight entertainment system was so ancient, it had a tiny selection of movies and TV shows. The first-gen touchscreen was about a 1/3rd of what we are used to now and it was simultaneously out of focus and too bright with poor contrast and inexplicably sizzlingly hot the whole time. It was so hot, in fact, that it was uncomfortably to touch it repeatedly and I had to browse through menus, wait a moment, then continue.

trofirhen
Oct 16, 2015, 2:32 AM
Is it possible YVR might get both Munich and Frankfurt year-round? Edelweiss and Condor seem to cater to German tourists for the summer months.

Johnny Aussie
Oct 16, 2015, 11:57 PM
Yeah, I think Lufthansa and Cathay Pacific will be our first A350s. Both will get their first planes next year.

I bet it will be China Airlines. TPE-YVR is included in their first phase plans of introducing the A350.
The problem with this is the bilateral cap between Canada and Taiwan is based on frequency not seat capacity. China Airlines is sending the 744 over the winter (5 weekly) and through next summer (daily). The A350 would appear to be too small unless CI can get more frequencies.

Right now the Canada -Taiwan bilateral allows 17 flights per week on Taiwanese carriers. However, this increases to 21 pw this November.

So the frequencies are used up as follows:
CI YVR-TPE 7
BR YVR-TPE 4 but increasing to 5 effective December
BR YYZ-TPE 4 but increasing to 5 effective December.

So who gets the 4 available frequencies and where do they put them.

I don't think we will see the A350 from LH unless they reduce YVR-FRA from a 744. I would only see that happening if AC launches its own YVR-FRA (certainly still possible). LH still has a lot of steam left in their 333s as well and they just upgauged the YVR-MUC route on some of their flights next summer (as recently posted).

I think CX is happy with the 77Ws on YVR-HKG unless they add frequencies.

Is it possible YVR might get both Munich and Frankfurt year-round? Edelweiss and Condor seem to cater to German tourists for the summer months.

MUC year-round would still be tough due to seasonality of YVR's Europe market.

Edelweiss caters to the Swiss ;) although I am sure Germans use that flight too.

trofirhen
Oct 17, 2015, 12:08 AM
Edelweiss caters to the Swiss ;) although I am sure Germans use that flight too.
;);)I sort of knew that, but in order not to have to be too elaborate, I said "German." I should have said German/Swiss or such like, I know. Or perhaps "Germanophone" ....

nname
Oct 17, 2015, 5:13 AM
Right now the Canada -Taiwan bilateral allows 17 flights per week on Taiwanese carriers. However, this increases to 21 pw this November.

So the frequencies are used up as follows:
CI YVR-TPE 7
BR YVR-TPE 4 but increasing to 5 effective December
BR YYZ-TPE 4 but increasing to 5 effective December.

So who gets the 4 available frequencies and where do they put them.

Seems like the frequencies are split evenly between the two airlines. When the limit is 17 flights, BR and CI both get 8, and BR give 4 each to YVR and YYZ. When the limit increase to 21, both airlines would get 10, and so BR increase both YVR and YYZ to 5.

Hot Rod
Oct 18, 2015, 6:41 AM
my guess is:

CI remains at 7 per week YVR-TPE (retain the current plane or change all to daily A350)
BR inc to 7 per week YVR-TPE (up from 5)
BR inc to 7 per week YYZ-TPE (up from 5)

7X3=21

or

CI inc to 11 per week YVR-TPE (daily A350, 4 using 747/777)
BR to remain at 5 per week for YVR-TPE and YYZ-TPE

11+5+5=21

All depends on if CI wants/needs the freq or if it will allow BR to go daily. What if AC wanted to do YVR-TPE? what about YVR-Kaohsiung? That would be sweet actually, open up a new city pair with the 4 per week. ...

Johnny Aussie
Oct 18, 2015, 10:29 AM
Today marks the inaugural flight of the Star Wars R2-D2 themed 787-9.

NH116 will be departing HND in just over two hours and is scheduled to arrive in YVR at 1455.

Enjoy.

And... Good night!

https://www.ana-sw.com/jets/