PDA

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138

vanlaw
Jan 29, 2016, 1:47 AM
I sure hope so! As I was just browsing prices for that route, the current players (Eva Air and China Airlines) seemed rather expensive to me and it's not even the high-season. More competition would be good.

I was just doing some random flight searches today and YVR-HKG via TPE on CI was around $750. Exact same dates but just YVR-TPE direct on CI was close to $1,000. I know that's how things just work, but its sooo irritating.

Klazu
Jan 29, 2016, 1:51 AM
I was just doing some random flight searches today and YVR-HKG via TPE on CI was around $750. Exact same dates but just YVR-TPE direct on CI was close to $1,000. I know that's how things just work, but its sooo irritating.

I hear you. I was trying to make YVR-HKG-TPE-YVR work in either direction, but had to settle for YVR-HKG-TPE-HKG-YVR. There were also some cheap flights back via NRT, but the problem with those was having only 1:44 in Tokyo and having to switch from Cathay Pacific to Air Canada. Not gonna work. :(

Gordon
Jan 29, 2016, 4:44 AM
The 767-300 should have no problem YvR to Tpe as they were the workhorse out of vancouver when they mainline aC

Is there any work being done on Pier A currently?

Cage
Jan 29, 2016, 6:44 PM
You sure? TPE is only 9,600km from YVR and AC lists the range at 10,500km and Boeing lists it as 11,000 at MTOW.

Yes I'm sure the 763 is not the right aircraft for YVR-TPE. One thing to consider is weather diversion around a storm will eat up 900km cushion very quickly. The Russian's charge a lot of money for overflight their territory, enough money that YVR-Asia flights often reroute to the east of NRT for economic performance reasons. Finally winds on the North Pacific require additional fuel that make YVR-TPE a no go for the 763.

The 767-300 should have no problem YvR to Tpe as they were the workhorse out of vancouver when they mainline AC

Only 6 out of 30 763s could make YVR-PEK or YVR-PVG. NRT, ICN, NGO, KIX from YVR could be handled by any 763. The 6 special aircraft were late 1997-99 builds purchased by original AC. YYZ-TLV was the only other route that required use of the late models.

Back in the Day CP served TPE with 744, when AC took over they put 343 onto TPE run. If the 763 made sense for AC, they would have put the that aircraft onto TPE instead of abandoning the route.

Johnny Aussie
Jan 29, 2016, 8:57 PM
Yup. Was discussed last year. The problem with the Canada-Taiwan bilateral is the restriction is based on frequencies and not seats. So to go from a daily 744 to a 350 is a big hit to seat numbers. But of course like most carriers, the 744 is on its way out. There are four (I think!) remaining unutilised frequencies on the Taiwan side. Coincidentally EVA to YVR and YYZ are both 5 weekly at the moment, having recently been increased from four weekly each in early December.

However.... now that AC has the permission from the CTA to code share on EVA... perhaps we may see both routes bumped to daily. Ruling made yesterday.

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/19-a-2016

To quote myself... In regards to YVR-TPE... As I alluded to on page 424 on this thread when I shared the link above...

AC was given the OK to serve TPE via codeshare. However, on their Investor Day 2015 map it does show both YVR and YYZ as potential direct nonstop routes on AC metal. But for now, I bet they will just slap their codeshare on BR ASAP. I don't see TPE as a rouge route really. NGO I bet may be next with a few flights per week.

And I said above... I wouldn't be surprised to see EVA bump both YVR and YYZ to daily as there are still 4 unused frequencies on Canada-Taiwan bilateral. I'm just not sure who gets them BR or CI? As both airlines phase out their 744s and the aircraft replacing these all have fewer seats, more frequencies will be the key if they want to maintain capacity. Could be a fight between CI and BR who gets the remaining weekly flights. The AC codeshare certainly would help the Star Alliance carrier.

Edit: confirmed the bilateral jumped from 13 flights per week to 17 in 2014 and then to 21 in November 2015. So there are 4 unused frequencies by Taiwanese carriers.

LeftCoaster
Jan 29, 2016, 10:54 PM
Yes, and with so few 748 operators unlikely there will be many. In PEK a few weeks ago saw a 744 and a 748 right next to each other... Quite the difference when seen up close.

So I wanted to look into the A380 and 748i combination and it turns out it is in fact quite rare.

YVR is in very unique company, with only 4 of the 10 busiest airports in the world seeing both the A380 and 748i.

The list of notable airports without service from both of the worlds largest passenger planes includes:

London Heathrow
Dubai International
Paris Charles De Gaulle
Tokyo Narita
Chicago O'Hare
Amsterdam Schiphol
Shanghai Pudong
Dallas Ft Worth

And the list goes on.

In fact only 10 of the 30 biggest airports in the world see both, so count yourselves lucky out there in Vancouver. Even out here mighty Pearson doesn't see much of the 380 and no visits from the 748i at all.

Klazu
Jan 29, 2016, 11:19 PM
Even out here mighty Pearson doesn't see much of the 380 and no visits from the 748i at all.

Don't go mentioning that on Canada Forum. They seem agitated enough already. ;)

Johnny Aussie
Jan 30, 2016, 1:04 AM
And with LH, KE and CA being the only passenger carriers that have had them delivered / ordered I don't expect many more airports to see both.

Transaero is still to have its first delivered.

nname
Jan 30, 2016, 1:06 AM
Back in the Day CP served TPE with 744, when AC took over they put 343 onto TPE run. If the 763 made sense for AC, they would have put the that aircraft onto TPE instead of abandoning the route.

I remember taking the CP and later AC YVR-TPE flight, and it was being served by a DC10 :???:

The other airlines serving the route at that time, AE, was using a MD11.

And I said above... I wouldn't be surprised to see EVA bump both YVR and YYZ to daily as there are still 4 unused frequencies on Canada-Taiwan bilateral. I'm just not sure who gets them BR or CI? As both airlines phase out their 744s and the aircraft replacing these all have fewer seats, more frequencies will be the key if they want to maintain capacity. Could be a fight between CI and BR who gets the remaining weekly flights. The AC codeshare certainly would help the Star Alliance carrier.

Edit: confirmed the bilateral jumped from 13 flights per week to 17 in 2014 and then to 21 in November 2015. So there are 4 unused frequencies by Taiwanese carriers.

They BOTH want those frequencies. BR want both routes to be at least daily if not more, CI wants to start TPE-YYZ themselves, and even GE wants to start TPE-YVR.

And are you sure the codeshare is with the direct flight from BR and not some other regional flight via another country or even the one from CI :yuck:?

Klazu
Jan 30, 2016, 1:21 AM
I know you guys love your airline codes, but which airlines are AE, BR and GE? :???:

Johnny Aussie
Jan 30, 2016, 1:34 AM
I remember taking the CP and later AC YVR-TPE flight, and it was being served by a DC10 :???:

The other airlines serving the route at that time, AE, was using a MD11.

They BOTH want those frequencies. BR want both routes to be at least daily if not more, CI wants to start TPE-YYZ themselves, and even GE wants to start TPE-YVR.

And are you sure the codeshare is with the direct flight from BR and not some other regional flight via another country or even the one from CI :yuck:?

Good question however, if I try and decipher the wording the route is Canada-Taipei. That being said, I am assuming it would be BR. That would make the most sense as both Star Alliance. I suppose NH via HND may be another option but that would require a separate approval by both Japan and Taiwan to allow carriage between those two countries. Certainly not impossible. I'm pretty confident AC wants to serve YVR-TPE and YYZ-TPE both nonstop.

Yeah with only 4 frequencies left doesn't really give too many options.

Johnny Aussie
Jan 30, 2016, 1:37 AM
I know you guys love your airline codes, but which airlines are AE, BR and GE? :???:

This is a handy tool for all airline/airport codes.

http://airlinecodes.info/iata/A

AE - Mandarin Airlines
BR - EVA Air
GE - TransAsia Airways

Johnny Aussie
Jan 30, 2016, 3:22 AM
Looks like very little change for this summer compared to last.

YYZ will see 8 weekly.
CUN, PVR, SJD and VRA will see one weekly each.

So there will be 12 weekly flights during the summer.

This is down from 14 last summer. Last summer there were nine weekly to YYZ and two weekly to CUN.

ShawnShank
Jan 30, 2016, 5:40 AM
Transaero is still to have its first delivered.

Transaero is long gone, the company is bankrupt. Rossiya (a company under aeroflot) is taking over a lot of the 744s, 763s, 77As, 77Es and 773s but they are not taking their A380 or 748i orders.

excel
Jan 30, 2016, 9:10 AM
This is a handy tool for all airline/airport codes.

http://airlinecodes.info/iata/A

AE - Mandarin Airlines
BR - EVA Air
GE - TransAsia Airways

Another handy tool for airline/airport codes is google.ca or google.com ;)

ACT7
Jan 30, 2016, 4:44 PM
Does anyone else find that idiotic sticker-on-your-boarding pass system at YVR to go through the priority security lanes, completely inefficient and unnecessary?

Why can't YVR act like every other airport on earth and just see from your boarding pass whether or not you're entitled to go through the priority lane (and bring your travel companion!) without having to go back to a check-in lineup that you never started in, just to get a little sticker? The airport authority has no decent explanation for this.

What's the point of using the check-in kiosks if you have to go wait in line for a sticker after?

Anyway, just wondering if others find this bizarre...

ACT7
Jan 30, 2016, 4:46 PM
Even out here mighty Pearson doesn't see much of the 380 and no visits from the 748i at all.

LH was sending its 748i to Pearson last summer (not daily). And of course, EK, is restricted.

But you're right, not a tonne of 380 and 748i action.

mezzanine
Jan 30, 2016, 10:01 PM
Does anyone else find that idiotic sticker-on-your-boarding pass system at YVR to go through the priority security lanes, completely inefficient and unnecessary?

Why can't YVR act like every other airport on earth and just see from your boarding pass whether or not you're entitled to go through the priority lane (and bring your travel companion!) without having to go back to a check-in lineup that you never started in, just to get a little sticker? The airport authority has no decent explanation for this.

What's the point of using the check-in kiosks if you have to go wait in line for a sticker after?

Anyway, just wondering if others find this bizarre...

I suspect YVR is optimized for nexus. I find nexus lines to be organized and efficient. If anything, I've never noticed priority lanes for business pax at YVR, like at FRA.

nexus is non alliance/carrier/class dependent, I really like the set up at YVR. The US is heading the same way with TSA pre-check.

stiffdeadman
Jan 31, 2016, 6:11 AM
I suspect YVR is optimized for nexus. I find nexus lines to be organized and efficient. If anything, I've never noticed priority lanes for business pax at YVR, like at FRA.

nexus is non alliance/carrier/class dependent, I really like the set up at YVR. The US is heading the same way with TSA pre-check.

Love TSA precheck.

ACT7
Jan 31, 2016, 4:41 PM

Most airports have both the nexus line and priority lane for AC status members, so I don't believe that's the reason. There doesn't seem to be a good reason to not allow priority travellers to go through the priority lane without a sticker, that's my point. Why can't YVR simply look at the boarding pass like everywhere else? Nexus has nothing to do with it. And frankly it's not such a busy airport to deny priority passengers unless they go back to get a sticker.

CareerShow
Feb 1, 2016, 7:36 AM
It appears as if Air Canada is switching some flights to mainline earlier than expected. San Francisco is mainline mid february, don't know if others are the same. Also would anyone mind posting the complete YVR summer 2016 schedule again!!! I cant seem to find the ones posted on here, they are so far back now.

CareerShow
Feb 1, 2016, 7:52 AM
Also appears AC is going to put the 763 onto the PVR route effective May 4. Seems like a large aircraft for the summer months.

Johnny Aussie
Feb 1, 2016, 9:54 AM
With all the Westjet changes going on I had a look at Westjet's YVR operations for the upcoming summer...

Westjet will operate a total of 451 weekly flights.
Mainline 345 weekly flights
Encore 106 weekly flights

Overall pretty much the same as last year in weekly frequencies but there seems to be more 73H flying and less 736 flying this summer.

Almost 50% of the mainline flights are scheduled to be 737-800s for the summer scheds.

I'll try and tackle YYC later.

Johnny Aussie
Feb 1, 2016, 10:58 PM
http://yvr.ca/Libraries/Aviation_Marketing/December_2015_Traffic_Update.sflb.ashx

Nice finish to 2015!

Total Pax for 2015.... 20,315,978 a 4.9% increase over 2014. Up over 957,000 pax in 2015.

December results for Asia Pacific and Europe just skyrocketed!

December 2015

Overall up 5.5%
Domestic up 3.5%
Transborder up 2.5%
Asia Pacific up 13.0%
Europe up 15.2%
Misc Int'l up 11.5%
Total Int'l up 7.7%

Full Year 2015

Overall up 4.9%
Domestic up 2.5%
Transborder up 8.0%
Asia Pacific up 7.4%
Europe up 6.5%
Misc Int'l up 6.9%
Total Int'l up 7.6%

Cargo Stats

A bit of a dip in December.

Full year 2015 showed a 5.7% increase to 271,480 tonnes

***Finally breaks the record dating back to 1999!

Domestic / International Split

Domestic 50.9%
International 49.1% (transborder 25.1% other international 24.0%)

excel
Feb 1, 2016, 11:02 PM
Growth of just under a million passengers in one year is pretty impressive for an airport of this size.

Klazu
Feb 1, 2016, 11:43 PM
They said on the news that French tourists were among the biggest growth market and this is largely to thanks the new direct Air France flight.

connect2source
Feb 2, 2016, 1:12 AM
Great news for YVR, great growth for 2015 but we're only up 2.4M from 2008 so hopefully this growth rate will hold for a few years.

casper
Feb 2, 2016, 5:24 AM
Most airports have both the nexus line and priority lane for AC status members, so I don't believe that's the reason. There doesn't seem to be a good reason to not allow priority travellers to go through the priority lane without a sticker, that's my point. Why can't YVR simply look at the boarding pass like everywhere else? Nexus has nothing to do with it. And frankly it's not such a busy airport to deny priority passengers unless they go back to get a sticker.

There are other ways of getting priority access at other airports. For instance platinum amex card. The stickers are silly. However outside of the morning rush how much of a difference is there between the two lanes. I find it is pretty limited. Especially given where the two lines merge.

LeftCoaster
Feb 4, 2016, 12:14 AM
Great news for YVR, great growth for 2015 but we're only up 2.4M from 2008 so hopefully this growth rate will hold for a few years.

Exactly. That's only a 1.86% growth rate over those years. As fantastic as the last 2 years have been we're really just digging ourselves out of a hole.

Just a little reality check:
If YVR had grown at 2.5% (inflation) since 1998 the Airport would currently be at 23.6M PAX. Kind of frustrating given that 2.5% is not a very strong growth rate to begin with.

A good goal for YVR would be 30 million by 2025. That would at least get us back to an average growth of 2.5% from 1998.

SFUVancouver
Feb 4, 2016, 3:16 AM
Here's a post only tangentially related to YVR: Alaska Airlines unveils its new livery and it features what sure looks like the YVR corporate colours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsbNY3ik8Uw

trofirhen
Feb 4, 2016, 3:30 AM
Here's a post only tangentially related to YVR: Alaska Airlines unveils its new livery and it features what sure looks like the YVR corporate colours.

It sure does!! Nice to be a role model for someone, eh?

officedweller
Feb 4, 2016, 5:00 AM

I thought they looked like the 2010 Olympic colours (same ones)

Johnny Aussie
Feb 4, 2016, 9:47 AM
AC has pumped out its Summer scheds... Subject to change of course.

I'll do an in depth look later but for now... The latest changes (not including all the new / increased international flights or Transborder flights previously mentioned):

763s really making a come back on transcons.
Will see 4 daily to YYZ and 1 daily to YUL.
A lot of CRA action replacing some Embraers as they are being removed.
More Q400 flights as well.
LAX will also see a 321 on one of its 5 daily flights.
SEA and PDX will be all Q400.
ANC going back to mainline too.
Capacity increases on many routes.

The big loser is (surprise surprise) YMM goes to a single daily DH4 from 3 daily CRJs. YMM losing flights and seats to YYC and YEG as well.
Other losses will see YXT and YXJ having one flight cut per day.

twoNeurons
Feb 4, 2016, 9:54 AM
I hear you. I was trying to make YVR-HKG-TPE-YVR work in either direction, but had to settle for YVR-HKG-TPE-HKG-YVR. There were also some cheap flights back via NRT, but the problem with those was having only 1:44 in Tokyo and having to switch from Cathay Pacific to Air Canada. Not gonna work. :(
1:44 would be tight with the switching of terminals. Although border control in NRT is usually super fast.

trofirhen
Feb 4, 2016, 12:08 PM
They said on the news that French tourists were among the biggest growth market and this is largely to thanks the new direct Air France flight.
Before AF came to town, I would rant endlessly about Paris, and got responses like "maybe a summer Rouge" or "only for 'that first trip to Paris' ... it'll never pan out..."......
Well, voilΓ , voilΓ . Champagne and foie gras, anyone? :)

zahav
Feb 5, 2016, 7:52 PM
AC has pumped out its Summer scheds... Subject to change of course.

I'll do an in depth look later but for now... The latest changes (not including all the new / increased international flights or Transborder flights previously mentioned):

763s really making a come back on transcons.
Will see 4 daily to YYZ and 1 daily to YUL.
A lot of CRA action replacing some Embraers as they are being removed.
More Q400 flights as well.
LAX will also see a 321 on one of its 5 daily flights.
SEA and PDX will be all Q400.
ANC going back to mainline too.
Capacity increases on many routes.

The big loser is (surprise surprise) YMM goes to a single daily DH4 from 3 daily CRJs. YMM losing flights and seats to YYC and YEG as well.
Other losses will see YXT and YXJ having one flight cut per day.

Thanks Johnny Aussie! I meant to ask before, how do you know these updates? Air Canada's booking website and OAG flight schedules still don't show it? This also applies for Xiamen, it is not on their website or OAG. Are these flights "real" yet? Sorry just always wanted to know how you see it before it's public :)

Johnny Aussie
Feb 5, 2016, 10:20 PM
Thanks Johnny Aussie! I meant to ask before, how do you know these updates? Air Canada's booking website and OAG flight schedules still don't show it? This also applies for Xiamen, it is not on their website or OAG. Are these flights "real" yet? Sorry just always wanted to know how you see it before it's public :)

I know. My little secret :) I have a little help from knowledgeable friends. However, I never divulge info that isn't "public"... So it's out there somewhere :)

A bit more on AC... as I said there will be more CRA and DH4 flights and less E90s.

Domestic capacity increases through either up gauged equipment, more frequency or a combo of the two:

YUL, YWG, YQR, YXE, YKA, YLW, YZP, YPR, YQQ, YYJ, YXY, YEG and YYC.

YEG and YYC are going to see more 319/320 flights with a couple of CRAs thrown in.

YYZ having more 763s with a slightly reduced number of weekly flights so overall capacity to YYZ is pretty much a wash as one less 77W on that route.

Decreased capacity only noted on YXT, YXJ and YMM.

LeftCoaster
Feb 5, 2016, 10:30 PM
Great news, thanks.

International flights get all the attention but domestic is still the lions share of PAX at YVR and helps connect all our Intl flights to other points within Canada. Good to see decent capacity growth, kinda bummed out about the 77W decrease on YVR-YYZ. I fly the route frequently (huge understatement) and 77Ws are always the best bet to get bumped on.

Also, wish they'd use those 767s for some smaller Europe routes. Direct 3 per week summer service from YVR to Spain or Scandinavia sure would be nice!

SFUVancouver
Feb 5, 2016, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the great information, JohhnyAussie. Very interesting to see the uptick in 767s on domestic mainline routes. I've been doing all my flying during the age of exclusively narrow-body domestic travel and think of wide bodies as exclusively international-intercontinental aircraft. Come to think of it, I don't think that I've ever taken a domestic wide-body before.

With regards to the decline in Embraer E-Jets in favour of CRJs, that's a bit of a disappointment because I prefer the E-Jets to the RJs, but it's also frustrating because the C-Series is tailor-made to fill that same seat, range, and load factor role as the E-Jets and the upper end of the RJs, plus the low end of the single-aisle B737 and A320 workhorses. I sure hope that Bombardier gets traction with those soon.

Denscity
Feb 6, 2016, 1:24 AM
Great news, thanks.

International flights get all the attention but domestic is still the lions share of PAX at YVR and helps connect all our Intl flights to other points within Canada. Good to see decent capacity growth, kinda bummed out about the 77W decrease on YVR-YYZ. I fly the route frequently (huge understatement) and 77Ws are always the best bet to get bumped on.

Also, wish they'd use those 767s for some smaller Europe routes. Direct 3 per week summer service from YVR to Spain or Scandinavia sure would be nice!

I thought I just saw that YVR's international pax make up 49.1% overall?

Johnny Aussie
Feb 6, 2016, 1:32 AM
Many thanks!

There will still be 77Ws, 77Ls and 788s on YVR-YYZ so don't fret!

Embraers are being withdrawn too so that's the main reason for fewer of those around.

And don't forget only 50% of traffic at YVR is domestic so not the lions share πŸ˜ƒ

Johnny Aussie
Feb 8, 2016, 9:30 PM
This is a summary of international services changes from summer 2015 to summer 2016. Reflects new services, upgauges in equipment and/or changes in frequencies (I've put BA to LHR in the "losses" section due to the reduction in seats only. Clearly gaining a daily 788 is also a huge "gain" though!):

GAINS
AEROMEXICO
MEX – **new** daily 73W
AIR CANADA
BNE – **new** daily 788
LHR – additional daily 789
PVG – upgauged from daily 788 to daily 77W
SYD – capacity increase due to increase in seats on the reconfigured 77L
AIR CANADA ROUGE
DUB – **new** three weekly 763
KIX – one additional weekly flight on 763 – now six weekly
PVR – new weekly 763
AIR TRANSAT
LGW – additional weekly 333 – now a daily service
FCO – **new** weekly 333
PVR – to be operated by TS 738 instead of Enerjet 73W
CUN – to be operated by TS 738 instead of Enerjet 73W
ALL NIPPON
HND – upgauge from daily 788 to 789
CHINA AIRLINES
TPE – upgauged from daily 343 to 744
CHINA SOUTHERN
CAN – upgauge from daily 788 to 77W
CONDOR
FRA – additional weekly 76W – now a five weekly service
KLM
AMS – upgauge from daily 333 to 772
KOREAN AIR
ICN – upgauge from daily 744 to 748
LUFTHANSA
MUC – upgauge from 333 to 346 on three of the seven weekly flights
QANTAS
SYD – three weekly 744 operating for a longer period Summer 2016
WESTJET
LGW – **new** six weekly 76W
XIAMENAIR
XMN – **new** three weekly 788

LOSSES
AC to SJD – one weekly 319 discontinued for the summer (becomes winter seasonal only)
BA to LHR – daily 388 down from 12 weekly 744
PR to MNL – down to daily 77W from 11 weekly mix of 77W and 343
WG to CUN – down to once weekly from twice weekly 738

connect2source
Feb 9, 2016, 1:29 AM
Thanks for this Johnny!

Totally excited about YVR's first scheduled A380!! To me a daily A380 vs 12 weekly 744's is hardly a loss :) .. I'll totally forego my Aeroplan points on AC for a chance to ride BA's A380 on my trip to LHR later this year.

Johnny Aussie
Feb 9, 2016, 9:14 AM
Well we all know AS is dumping YVR - LAX.... so we thought mainline was going bye bye right?

Well Alaska has just updated their summer schedules and the YVR-SEA route will be seeing one daily mainline 734... So we can see the new livery after all.

In addition, the first flight to SEA is being replaced by a CR7.

Johnny Aussie
Feb 9, 2016, 9:15 AM
Thanks for this Johnny!

Totally excited about YVR's first scheduled A380!! To me a daily A380 vs 12 weekly 744's is hardly a loss :) .. I'll totally forego my Aeroplan points on AC for a chance to ride BA's A380 on my trip to LHR later this year.

Yeah agreed it's pretty good to see and the Korean 748 as well.

2016 is gonna be a ripper.

trofirhen
Feb 9, 2016, 1:43 PM

Will we see any additions to that which you have already stated, do you think? (hope so:rolleyes:) Thanks, Johnny.

Johnny Aussie
Feb 9, 2016, 7:16 PM
Will we see any additions to that which you have already stated, do you think? (hope so:rolleyes:) Thanks, Johnny.

Other than the other Chinese carriers we have been talking about? Don't really know.

This is a pretty significant amount of new capacity being spread out over Europe, Asia and Australia so I wouldn't expect too much more. In fact this is probably one of the most overall increases YVR has seen in a long time.

It's also starting to creep into the later side for new services to be announced for a summer launch.

trofirhen
Feb 9, 2016, 7:33 PM
deleted

SFUVancouver
Feb 9, 2016, 7:46 PM
Thanks for the awesome update, Johnny Aussie!

zahav
Feb 10, 2016, 6:47 AM
Thanks Johnny, I was just coming to post about the Alaska Airlines update, I saw it today too. Really good news, keeping the mainline carrier (even if it is just for summer!). And will be a first time (in recent memory, at least?) for the CRA too, will be nice to see!

ShawnShank
Feb 10, 2016, 8:14 AM
Looks like the CZ 77W is staying for the winter as well

http://airlineroute.net/2016/02/10/cz-w16update1/

LeftCoaster
Feb 10, 2016, 11:58 PM
Ya I saw that, another big vote of confidence. Hopefully next step is double daily on smaller metal or 10x PW on the 77W

And don't forget only 50% of traffic at YVR is domestic so not the lions share ν ½νΈƒ

Well it's still 51% to the next largest, Transborder, which is 25%.

Kinda interesting how well the pieces portion out actually.

http://i.imgur.com/s5eiMUK.png

Given the big capacity increases what kind of growth could we be looking at? Provided loads are high and most of the new seats are absorbed, could we be looking at growth at or above the magnitude of 2014 (7.5%)? It seems as though the capacity increases are similar in size to the 2015 on the intl' front which saw big growth, but now are being extended to the domestic front (at least AC) which was the main source of drag for 2015 growth.

stiffdeadman
Feb 11, 2016, 6:02 AM
Well we all know AS is dumping YVR - LAX.... so we thought mainline was going bye bye right?

Well Alaska has just updated their summer schedules and the YVR-SEA route will be seeing one daily mainline 734... So we can see the new livery after all.

In addition, the first flight to SEA is being replaced by a CR7.

Odd that the 737 is a midday flight. Would have thought it would have been a RON as overnight parking is at a premium at SeaTac during the summer and Alaska needs places to stick their planes. Oh well, good for the spotters as we can photo an Alaska tail without having to go down south. Though I doubt we will see the new livery as Alaska is phasing out the 400's.

http://www.adn.com/article/20151222/alaska-airlines-will-phase-out-combi-planes

Johnny Aussie
Feb 11, 2016, 6:43 AM
Odd that the 737 is a midday flight. Would have thought it would have been a RON as overnight parking is at a premium at SeaTac during the summer and Alaska needs places to stick their planes. Oh well, good for the spotters as we can photo an Alaska tail without having to go down south. Though I doubt we will see the new livery as Alaska is phasing out the 400's.

http://www.adn.com/article/20151222/alaska-airlines-will-phase-out-combi-planes

Yeah too bad about that and the new livery. I didn't realise AS were dumping their 734s although I suppose they are getting pretty old.

As for YVR-SEA, Delta has just updated their schedules again. Now all six daily YVR-SEA flights will be on E75s this summer.

Klazu
Feb 11, 2016, 6:59 PM
Just about to board AC7 to HKG.

The new security check line at D gates is very clever. I didn't notice it being in place in December, but now up to five people can stand side-by-side putting their stuff on trays that are then pushed on fully-automated conveyor belt. Very efficient and clever!

Also nice to see them having added bottle refill stations. That took them some time vs. many US airports.

twoNeurons
Feb 12, 2016, 12:28 AM
Wife will be checking out Rouge's offerings on a YVR-KIX later this year. The direct flight is nice, and the price is decent for summer ( $ 868 all in ) but I don't think in any way shape or form comparable to ANA's 787 product through HND ( and still under $1000 )

Spork
Feb 12, 2016, 3:08 AM
Just about to board AC7 to HKG.

The new security check line at D gates is very clever. I didn't notice it being in place in December, but now up to five people can stand side-by-side putting their stuff on trays that are then pushed on fully-automated conveyor belt. Very efficient and clever!

Also nice to see them having added bottle refill stations. That took them some time vs. many US airports.

Do they have the auto-returning trays that go underneath the surface conveyor and rise up through the bottom? That's my second favourite feature of European airports aside from the automated checked baggage machinery at AMS and LHR.

teriyaki
Feb 12, 2016, 6:35 AM
Wife will be checking out Rouge's offerings on a YVR-KIX later this year. The direct flight is nice, and the price is decent for summer ( $ 868 all in ) but I don't think in any way shape or form comparable to ANA's 787 product through HND ( and still under $1000 )

I will be trying the Rouge product to KIX this summer as well. I'm on a quasi-mission to try all the products crossing the pacific from YVR (Will be quite an endeavour).

I just posted my video trip report on YT aboard the ANA 787 to HND. Not sure if this forum allows hotlinking so i'll just leave everyone search for it. Can't be too hard:cheers:

twoNeurons
Feb 12, 2016, 10:34 AM
I will be trying the Rouge product to KIX this summer as well. I'm on a quasi-mission to try all the products crossing the pacific from YVR (Will be quite an endeavour).

I just posted my video trip report on YT aboard the ANA 787 to HND. Not sure if this forum allows hotlinking so i'll just leave everyone search for it. Can't be too hard:cheers:

Links to YT are no problem... in fact, you can even embed the video like so:

Dipw71QXjjg

ihN6eIdhV88

Klazu
Feb 12, 2016, 12:44 PM
Do they have the auto-returning trays that go underneath the surface conveyor and rise up through the bottom? That's my second favourite feature of European airports aside from the automated checked baggage machinery at AMS and LHR.

Yep, exactly like that, but I have never seen such queuing system before. Like said, it was very clever and efficient.

I just arrived in HKG and have to say that Air Canada's 77W HD configuration wasn't that bad on a 13.5 hour flight. I mean, it wasn't great, but it didn't kill me. Not worth paying 120 CAD extra for a seat on exit row, no way.

B767300ER
Feb 15, 2016, 2:01 AM
WS is starting it's YYZ YVR YYZ rotation tomorrow with a B763, WS 714 departs YVR @ 1300 for any of you spotters.

Cheers

Gordon
Feb 15, 2016, 5:48 AM
Can the B Gates handle A 763?

trofirhen
Feb 15, 2016, 7:17 AM
In total, how many flights per day are there between YVR and YYZ, normally? What is the frequency? Thank you. :)

B767300ER
Feb 15, 2016, 1:17 PM
In total, how many flights per day are there between YVR and YYZ, normally? What is the frequency? Thank you. :)

Sorry not sure exactly how many flights there are daily between YVR & YYZ. The 763 rotation was planned a while ago, not sure how long it will last. Probably just the two flights to start, if there is a late YYZ YVR flight its possible to make another run after arriving around 8pm eastern.

Cheers

Cage
Feb 15, 2016, 4:00 PM
Can the B Gates handle A 763?
Any of the gates gates 14 to 22 can handle the 763. However the concourse B hammerhead has insufficient holdroom capacity to handle a widebody plus a full slate of 737 traffic. Back in the day, CP used to operate B763 flights to YYZ from what is now gates 19 and 23. The holdroom was jammed packed and the airplane held just over 200 pax. I only remember CP gating the 763 on concourse B, never the DC10 or 744.

Winter schedule AC runs about 12 flights per day including 6 widebodies. Summer schedule adds another 6 flights of which 2 are widebodies.

Winter schedule WS runs 6-8 flights per day with a mix 73G and 738. WS714 is the only widebody. Summer schedule and WS doubles the frequency on this route.

Sorry not sure exactly how many flights there are daily between YVR & YYZ. The 763 rotation was planned a while ago, not sure how long it will last. Probably just the two flights to start, if there is a late YYZ YVR flight its possible to make another run after arriving around 8pm eastern.

Cheers

Its been reported on the YYC spotters pages that only 2/3 WS 763s are ETOPS certified. The only mission for the newest 763 is transcontinental until certification. Additionally Omni is back to help with the AB-Hawaii operations.

With the hammering WS is getting in the investor media about decrease to financial performance due to Alberta economic recession, it appears WS has made the wise move to re-allocate capacity away from YYC-YYZ.

In any event, the summer schedule does not appear to allow for a YYZ-YVR 763 rotation. I further predict the occasional 763 flight will appear, especially if the YVR-LGW flight has mechanical issue.

Johnny Aussie
Feb 15, 2016, 11:34 PM
And today's first Westjet 763 YYZ-YVR was cancelled! Mechanical??

A 73W was ferried in from YYC to cover WS 714 for the return YVR-YYZ.

Speaking of YVR-YYZ in addition to AC and WS...

In the summer Sunwing operates a daily flight from YVR-YYZ and Air Transat does a couple of weekly 73H rotations as well.

B767300ER
Feb 16, 2016, 4:30 AM
Any of the gates gates 14 to 22 can handle the 763. However the concourse B hammerhead has insufficient holdroom capacity to handle a widebody plus a full slate of 737 traffic. Back in the day, CP used to operate B763 flights to YYZ from what is now gates 19 and 23. The holdroom was jammed packed and the airplane held just over 200 pax. I only remember CP gating the 763 on concourse B, never the DC10 or 744.

Winter schedule AC runs about 12 flights per day including 6 widebodies. Summer schedule adds another 6 flights of which 2 are widebodies.

Winter schedule WS runs 6-8 flights per day with a mix 73G and 738. WS714 is the only widebody. Summer schedule and WS doubles the frequency on this route.

Its been reported on the YYC spotters pages that only 2/3 WS 763s are ETOPS certified. The only mission for the newest 763 is transcontinental until certification. Additionally Omni is back to help with the AB-Hawaii operations.

With the hammering WS is getting in the investor media about decrease to financial performance due to Alberta economic recession, it appears WS has made the wise move to re-allocate capacity away from YYC-YYZ.

In any event, the summer schedule does not appear to allow for a YYZ-YVR 763 rotation. I further predict the occasional 763 flight will appear, especially if the YVR-LGW flight has mechanical issue.

I'm pretty sure the YVR flight was planned for everyone on the ground to get some face time with the aircraft before LGW starts up in May.

Likely after LGW starts the only 763 YVR-YYZ would be to cycle the aircraft in for some type of check.

With the delayed deliveries from the MRO Omni has done really well, they'll selectively be around for a while. And just when you think there gone you may see their shadow on your way to .......

Peace

B767300ER
Feb 16, 2016, 4:42 AM
Flight cancellation not due to a mechanical issue, its possible it makes the run tomorrow but I doubt it. I'm sure YVR will see it this week at some point.

Peace

Gordon
Feb 16, 2016, 4:45 AM
Do the A\B connector gates have enough hold room capacity to handle a 763

excel
Feb 16, 2016, 5:01 AM
This was just discussed a couple posts above^

casper
Feb 16, 2016, 5:14 AM
Do the A\B connector gates have enough hold room capacity to handle a 763

After the AC/CP merger, Air Canada would regularly run a morning bank of aircraft heading back east. Ended up taking it many times. There would be an A320 heading to Ottawa, a 747 to Toronto and a flight to Montreal (767 or Airbus). All heading out around 8:00 am out of B gates. It was crowded but they managed. Certain WestJet can also manage.

They appear to have a lot of problems getting those 767 deployed reliably. Hopefully it is just staff learning the ins and outs of dispatching these aircraft reliably and it is not something more serious.

Toronto and Vancouver is a major route in Canada. Almost hourly flights by both major airlines. In addition to the fact a lot of travel between the two cities, Toronto is a major transfer point for the passengers connecting to eastern Canada or the US while Vancouver has connections in BC, the Pacific North West, California and Asia.

Johnny Aussie
Feb 16, 2016, 10:57 AM
Flight cancellation not due to a mechanical issue, its possible it makes the run tomorrow but I doubt it. I'm sure YVR will see it this week at some point.

Peace

Yup WS703/WS714 has been swapped for a 73W today (16th Feb) and is a few hours late now.

Any ideas what's going on?

Klazu
Feb 16, 2016, 1:45 PM
Toronto and Vancouver is a major route in Canada. Almost hourly flights by both major airlines.

It sure is and there are so many wide-bodies like 787 and 777 flying on that route. There must be quite a number of seats on that route on daily basis!

Possibly the only route in Canada where I don't mind missing a plane as next starts boarding briefly. :)

LeftCoaster
Feb 16, 2016, 6:26 PM
^up to 9 widebodies per day during the summer, including 3-4 777s per day.

Only problem with missing a flight is if you miss a widebody and get put on some crummy A320.

teriyaki
Feb 16, 2016, 7:03 PM
^up to 9 widebodies per day during the summer, including 3-4 777s per day.

Only problem with missing a flight is if you miss a widebody and get put on some crummy A320.

Sometimes that crummy A320 you were supposed to be on goes tech, and they swap in one of those awesome big birds to accomodate 2 flights worth of people :notacrook:

LeftCoaster
Feb 16, 2016, 7:53 PM
Sometimes that crummy A320 you were supposed to be on goes tech, and they swap in one of those awesome big birds to accomodate 2 flights worth of people :notacrook:

Ya and sometimes my widebody flight goes tech and they put me on an A320. Had that happen a few months ago, went from a B788 to an A321. :hell:

LeftCoaster
Feb 16, 2016, 7:57 PM
I've updated my big chart O' international flights. Based on a conversation I had in the Canada section I had the idea to add seats to the analysis, as well as a handy little summary table.

It's probably not perfectly accurate, as each airline has multiple configs of each hull, but it's as close as one can reasonably get.

Also I italicized the flights that are applied for but not yet confirmed.

http://i.imgur.com/ouihHCz.jpg
http://imgur.com/ouihHCz

As you can see Star Alliance is most definitely the king of YVR, but Skyteam is no slouch either. Oneworld has some marquee flights and tails but not much depth after the big guys.

SFUVancouver
Feb 16, 2016, 8:49 PM
Fantastic! What a service you a providing to this community, LeftCoaster. Thank you!

casper
Feb 17, 2016, 2:46 AM
It sure is and there are so many wide-bodies like 787 and 777 flying on that route. There must be quite a number of seats on that route on daily basis!

Possibly the only route in Canada where I don't mind missing a plane as next starts boarding briefly. :)

The other region that falls into the same camp is the eastern triangle between Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. Air Canada will fly pretty much everything they have on that route.

The LGA is similar but LGA is such a pain for other reasons.

I have never understood why but the YVR-YYC has similar attributes but I find the flights regularly over booked on that route.

casper
Feb 17, 2016, 2:47 AM
Fantastic! What a service you a providing to this community, LeftCoaster. Thank you!

I second that LeftCoaster does a great job of keeping up on all the changes.:yes:

trofirhen
Feb 17, 2016, 3:15 AM

I second that LeftCoaster does a great job of keeping up on all the changes.:yes:
May I add my star to the list? Three martinis, please.:tup:

excel
Feb 17, 2016, 4:46 AM
Very well done!

CareerShow
Feb 17, 2016, 6:57 AM
Anyone have any idea where AC are deploying their E90's and CRJ's? Seems most routes are switching to the A320 family or CRA's.

trofirhen
Feb 17, 2016, 7:50 AM
Anyone have any idea where AC are deploying their E90's and CRJ's? Seems most routes are switching to the A320 family or CRA's.
could I ask which routes, or route types, you are referring to here? thanx

Gordon
Feb 17, 2016, 3:25 PM
a bit off topic but Air Canada has signe a letter of intent to purchase 75 C Series 300 jets from Bombardier/

connect2source
Feb 17, 2016, 4:34 PM
Wow awesome post LeftCoaster! I'm most excited about BA's A380!!

Flew LHR - YVR late Nov on BA's oldest 744 G-BNLF built early 1990. As much as I love 'the queen' this plane was in tatters, no new 2010 version of First Class, Club World passengers were using it, everything was falling apart. This plane had been slated for retirement then was brought back and is due for the graveyard in March. Glad to see BA is taking YVR a bit more seriously as equipment like G-BNLF is a bit of an insult even though I'm aware YVR-LHR is largely leisure-driven.

connect2source
Feb 17, 2016, 4:40 PM
a bit off topic but Air Canada has signe a letter of intent to purchase 75 C Series 300 jets from Bombardier/

Totally on topic :) here's AC's media release :

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=984

The planes will likely have a large presence at YVR.

These and the 737MAX's will mean almost a 1-1 replacement for the A320's and the E-Jets, ( 106 replacing 100 planes ). The CSeries will be a great ride, far better than the E-Jets, IMO, wider and more like a mainline jet, plus the 2-3 seating will also be great! Great move by AC and HUGE boost for the CSeries program

SFUVancouver
Feb 17, 2016, 7:16 PM
Yes, this is fantastic news for Bombardier and Air Canada. A letter of intent isn't a firm order, but it's sure closer than "we have no plans at this time".

I really don't care for RJs and am not a fan of the E-Jets; I just find both rather claustrophobic, especially when walking down the aisle with all the overhead bins open and there's just a few centimetres of clearance between their corners and my eyes. The CSeries is a mainline-quality aircraft by all accounts and it should be a tremendous addition to the fleets of whomever flies them. For Air Canada, the benefits of phasing out the E-jets and replacing them with CS300s is a nice jump is capacity, a reduction in operating costs, and a huge step forward for the product they're offering passengers. Plus, with their range, they're more versatile than the E-Jets and can sub-in for mainline 737Maxs as required for routes with passenger loads in that interstitial 100-150 seat range that exceed the capacity of RJs and E-Jets but aren't quite enough to warrant a mainline aircraft in the 150-200 seat range.

CareerShow
Feb 17, 2016, 7:36 PM
could I ask which routes, or route types, you are referring to here? thanx
Routes such as Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Whitehorse, Regina which had E90, CRJ's in the past and Calgary, Edmonton which had mainly E90 on it in the past and now A320's.

connect2source
Feb 17, 2016, 8:47 PM
Agreed SFUVancouver! My issues is with AC's choice of the 737MAX over the A320neo family, my biggest beef is with their choice to purchase the MAX9. The market has spoken and the A321neos are absolutely killing the MAX9 sales, in fact the entire A320neo line as so far ahead in sales to the MAX series that Boeing is now contemplating a new-build aircraft just to compete with the A321neo. The 737-900 which is what the MAX9 is based on, seems to be a dog, poor take-off performance, terrible runway and taxiway mobility, disliked by passengers mostly due to the endless length and long embarking and disembarking times, narrower cabins than the A320 series and now tipping issues when not loaded correctly.

I wish AC had opted for the neos, they would have had fleet commonality and a plane, so far, much more favoured in the market. I much prefer the ride in the A320's to any 737 but I'm glad to see they'll be more options than the MAX when travelling AC narrowbodies. Also glad to see Rouge will remain Airbus.

craneSpotter
Feb 17, 2016, 10:34 PM
Great news re: AC and the CS300...can't wait to fly on one. Really like the 3-2 setup as a family of 4 - maybe will start flying with them again.

In other news..haven;t heard from these guys in a while...

JETLINES MOVING FORWARD

Feb 17, 2016 (press release) http://www.jetlines.ca/jetlines-moving-forward/

Jetlines is pleased to announce a signed letter of intent with Jet Metal Corp. (β€œJet”), a company listed on the TSX Venture Exchange (β€œTSX.V”). The planned process is a Reverse Take-Over (β€œRTO”) of Jet resulting in the listing of Jetlines on the TSX.V with the symbol β€œJET”. See link to announcement: http://www.jetmetalcorp.com/ This transaction, pending a definitive agreement, approval of the TSX.V and approval from the shareholders of both companies, will provide Jetlines with the funding to achieve milestones in the buildout process in launching an ULCC airline in Canada. In addition, a concurrent funding raise prior to listing will be undertaken. - See more at: http://www.jetlines.ca/jetlines-moving-forward/#sthash.1YOeIzCt.dpuf

stiffdeadman
Feb 18, 2016, 5:22 AM
Agreed SFUVancouver! My issues is with AC's choice of the 737MAX over the A320neo family, my biggest beef is with their choice to purchase the MAX9. The market has spoken and the A321neos are absolutely killing the MAX9 sales, in fact the entire A320neo line as so far ahead in sales to the MAX series that Boeing is now contemplating a new-build aircraft just to compete with the A321neo. The 737-900 which is what the MAX9 is based on, seems to be a dog, poor take-off performance, terrible runway and taxiway mobility, disliked by passengers mostly due to the endless length and long embarking and disembarking times, narrower cabins than the A320 series and now tipping issues when not loaded correctly.

I wish AC had opted for the neos, they would have had fleet commonality and a plane, so far, much more favoured in the market. I much prefer the ride in the A320's to any 737 but I'm glad to see they'll be more options than the MAX when travelling AC narrowbodies. Also glad to see Rouge will remain Airbus.

I have flown on Alaska's 737-900's and they are squished. I've read United's are worse and they have a whole pile of them and are getting more. Southwest's 737-700's were a way better ride in comparison, and being in the top half of the A group sure pays off for seating.

ShawnShank
Feb 18, 2016, 7:31 AM
I have flown on Alaska's 737-900's and they are squished.

Do you mean width wise? Because legroom wise the -900ER's have 32" of legroom (slimline seats), which was a nice surprise for me a month ago after 3 flights on 30" legroom AA

SFUVancouver
Feb 18, 2016, 6:39 PM
Agreed about the 739 leg room being okay. I was on a brand new United 739 recently (I posted a picture a few pages back) and found that the leg room was fine. It's not great, obviously, but an improvement over the older seats for leg-room. A nice thing about the new 739s is that they have much larger 777-derrived overhead bins that are also set higher up in the fuselage, so there a bit more headroom for getting into and out of the window seat.

Vin
Feb 18, 2016, 8:55 PM
Can't wait for British Airways' A380 arriving here. Singapore Airlines, Korean Air, Emirates and Qantas should all bring their A380s here too. That will be a game changer.

CareerShow
Feb 19, 2016, 8:53 AM
I must have been in the minority but i quite enjoyed the E90's. They were very comfortable, especially better than the CRJ's and Dash and the 2 2 seating was good, as you were always one seat away from the isle. I thought these planes were perfect for short flights, such as flying to LA, San Fran, or Calgary, although I get that the economics are worse than flying larger aircraft to these airports, hence why AC has switched to the A320 family for these routes again.

nname
Feb 19, 2016, 7:57 PM
I saw this from airliner.net:

You will also see C Series on direct long and thin routes. Halifax to the west for example by passing Toronto. I was also told some more routes to the US east from Calgary and Vancouver are being considered.

Maybe we'll eventually see direct flights from YVR to YHZ, BOS, MIA, FLL, and/or IAD using CS3? :D

[EDIT] And AC is indeed going to codeshare with BR. From their 2015 year-end financial report:

at the end of February 2016, Air Canada will introduce a codeshare agreement with EVA Air applicable for select Asian gateways and domestic Canadian points to enhance travel between Canada and Taiwan.
http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/investor/documents/2015_MDA_q4.pdf

trofirhen
Feb 20, 2016, 12:23 AM
Can't wait for British Airways' A380 arriving here. Singapore Airlines, Korean Air, Emirates and Qantas should all bring their A380s here too. That will be a game changer.
You're daydreaming, I take it. First off, Singapore and Emirates don't fly here.
Korean? Hmm, a long shot, but maybe. Qantas? More likely 789s when they (or AC) start up Melbourne.

ShawnShank
Feb 20, 2016, 10:36 PM
You're daydreaming, I take it. First off, Singapore and Emirates don't fly here.
Korean? Hmm, a long shot, but maybe. Qantas? More likely 789s when they (or AC) start up Melbourne.

The only one of those I see as an actual possibility is Qantas (seasonally) post-744 retirement.

Johnny Aussie
Feb 20, 2016, 11:41 PM
The only one of those I see as an actual possibility is Qantas (seasonally) post-744 retirement.

I really don't see QF sending their A380s to YVR. It's just too big a beast. QF only use them on LAX and DXB/LHR from SYD and MEL and from SYD to HKG only.

To really give AC (and NZ) some serious competition QF would need to do SYD-YVR daily and the 787-9 would be the perfect equipment for that (without F class).