PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : YVR-Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63

phesto
Feb 15, 2008, 9:17 PM
AC was running daily to San Diago for a while there with a CRJ-200. What happend?

My mistake. AC operates YVR-SAN using the E190. It was Alaska who dropped that service a couple of years ago. I'll edit the post above.

RE Miami: AC used to operate on YVR-MIA october through March up until a few years ago. I never flew it, but apparently it was 6.5 hours with an A319. That is a crazy long flight without leaving the continent!

I think there is still a seasonal market for South Florida from YVR (ie. Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Orlando), but I don't see that it fits with AC's strategy. I've heard mention that WJ could do something, but I think that is a longshot.

excel
Feb 16, 2008, 4:01 AM
I didn't realize AC used E190 for San Diego, didn't the route initiate with a CRJ?

muzhav84
Feb 16, 2008, 6:14 AM
San Diego did start with a CRJ-700, but now AC has upgrade it year-round to mainline, on an E90.

Don't mean to nitpick, but Hawaii is the state, there are actually 3 unique destinations within it:
Honolulu (AC, FJ (Air Pacific), WS)
Kahului-Maui (AC, WS)
Kona (AC)*

Definitely Florida is a major area Vancouver isn't connected to. Would be nice to see AC or WS develop a route there. WS does yearround Calgary to Orlando, and a whole ton out of Toronto. What I've heard (working in the industry) is that AC focuses on Hawaii and Pacific destinations out of Vancouver (it doesn't serve Hawaii or Australia from any other city), and wants to use its Toronto hub for most Florida/Carribbean destinations. It sucks for us though, Florida is a great market

LeftCoaster
Feb 22, 2008, 5:42 PM
Hey guys, Link Building 2 is about to start up, Ill snag some pics today if I have the time.

PS how is YVR news not stickied??

officedweller
Feb 22, 2008, 8:24 PM
Link Building 2? Is that just the walkway to the Canada Line Station or more office space somewhere behind the rotunda building?

mr.x
Feb 23, 2008, 9:55 AM
Hey guys, Link Building 2 is about to start up, Ill snag some pics today if I have the time.

PS how is YVR news not stickied??

Link Building 2?

Too many stickies, and not enough activity with this topic.

excel
Feb 25, 2008, 4:02 AM
Friday, 22 February 2008

Air New Zealand is to increase its direct services between Auckland and Vancouver to four a week from early December to meet strong customer demand. The airline launched the new non-stop service in November with three trips per week, on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. The fourth service will operate on Thursdays for the peak travel season between 4 December and 26 March 2009.

Air New Zealand group general manager International Airline, Ed Sims, said today that Vancouver was proving to be one of the airline’s most successful route launches in recent years. “We had always forecast strong uptake for the new service, but it’s fair to say that we’ve been pleasantly surprised by the strength of the demand shown by customers in both markets,” he says. “We’re looking to build our services to daily as soon as possible, and will continue to work closely with the New Zealand and Canadian markets to further stimulate demand.”

Sims said there were a number of factors that had contributed to the success of the new destination. “Canada’s reputation as one of the world’s leading destinations for skiing and snowboarding – along with some fantastic outdoor adventure activities – has clearly whetted the appetite of many travellers. “We’ve also seen a great deal of interest from customers using Vancouver as a convenient gateway to destinations within Canada such as Toronto and Montreal, which can be accessed through our Star Alliance partner Air Canada.”

SpongeG
Feb 25, 2008, 4:44 AM
new zealand is really pushing their advertising lately

SpongeG
Feb 27, 2008, 5:06 AM
Melbourne Airport named in world's top five

Melbourne Airport has been named as one of the world's best for passenger service by a worldwide survey of almost 200,000 travellers.

Asian airports dominated the survey by the Airports Council International, with South Korea's Incheon, Malaysia's Kuala Lumpur International and Singapore's Changi named the world's top three for passenger service.

It was the third year in a row that Asian airports captured the first three positions in the global league table. Passengers are asked to assess factors like cleanliness, comfort of waiting areas and ease of check-in.

Melbourne reached the number five spot for airports handling 15 to 25 million passengers per year, behind Kuala Lumpur, San Diego, Zurich and Vancouver.

"This sort of recognition is timely - with our recently commences expansions of T2 set to establish new Australian benchmarks in passenger experience come 2012," said Melbourne Airport CEO Chris Woodruff.

In Europe the top spot went to Porto in Portugal, in North America to Dallas-Fort Worth, in Africa to Johannesburg, in Latin America to Ecuador's Guayaquil, and in the Middle East to Israel's Tel Aviv, ACI said.

A total of 90 airports took part in the survey conducted during 2007, said ACI, the Airports Council International which groups 580 members operating 1647 airports in 175 countries.

Incheon also headed the list in the 2006 survey, followed by Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur and Changi on level pegging, and Dallas-Fort Worth. Fourth and fifth in the latest survey were Hong Kong and Japan's Nagoya, according to ACI.

Guayaquil, which serves Ecuador's Pacific coast business capital and was once a traveller's nightmare, has recently undergone a total makeover. Currently, like the European leader Porto, it processes under 5 million passengers a year.

By contrast, Incheon and Changi see between 25 million and 40 million travellers pass through, and Hong Kong and Dallas-Fort Worth handle more than 40 million. Kuala Lumpur processes between 15 million and 20 million.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/news/melbourne-airport-ranked-in-top-five/2008/02/27/1203788420604.html

LeftCoaster
Feb 27, 2008, 7:04 PM
Link Building 2? Is that just the walkway to the Canada Line Station or more office space somewhere behind the rotunda building?

Sorry, forgot about this thread.

Yeah the Link 2 building is the corresponding mirror of the Link 1 but instead of linking the baggage and ticket halls in the front of the airport it links the rear of the airport and includes expanded security and baggage handling capabilites.

The project is bidgeted at around 35 million and is already under construction, with the temproary walkway already built and functional. I am not sure of the timeline, as I am having trouble finding the info for this project (hence the lack of pictures), but I will keep looking.

officedweller
Feb 27, 2008, 8:21 PM
Thanks.

SpongeG
Feb 28, 2008, 7:05 AM
just a little YVR read :)

While away the hours at YVR

Visit a spa, get your teeth whitened or make a root beer float at the Vancouver airport

Rebecca Stevenson , The Ottawa Citizen

It's like a sudden loss of altitude in the pit of your stomach: that sinking feeling when you hear that your flight is delayed indefinitely.

In the blink of an eye, you're reduced from a peppy jetsetter to an aimless loiterer. Should you bide your time by slumping in a plastic chair and watching close-captioned curling? Try to read an entire Reader's Digest at the newsstand before being shooed away by the clerk? Latch on to the lonely girl at the knock-off sunglasses kiosk and bore her with your life story?

Stranded travellers, don't despair. Beneath the surface of any airport lies a plethora of creative activities to while away the hours. Here, we discover the secret world of Vancouver International Airport, or YVR:

The sound of music: Instantly nix about 225 minutes in the domestic terminal by getting thyself to Virgin Books and Music's CD listening station, where you can sample three full-length CDs. Should another traveller try to cut in, use the classic "cultural barriers" excuse to pretend you don't understand (furrow brow, shrug shoulders). It is an airport, after all. Warning: singing along may cut your session short.

The medical/dental plan: Proceed downstairs to the dental clinic, where you can get a one hour tooth bleaching session for only $375. Next door, at the medical clinic, travel vaccines and flu shots are on offer. For those of you thinking: "wow, can I entertain myself by getting a full physical?" the answer is a firm no. The clinic doesn't do that on a walk-in basis. Shame.

Massage or a manicure: The next best thing just might be a treatment at Absolute Spa, which provides hair, make-up, massage, facials, manicures and the rest. There are three specialty "flight delay" packages ranging from $75 to $95.

The next level: And once you're reduced to molten flesh, there is no telling what you might do next. Potential inductees to the famous "mile-high club" might want to pick up some condoms or lubrication at Pharmasave. Longstanding active members might want to pick up a pregnancy test.

Looking good: Don't forget to beautify at the Body Shop's makeup testing counter.

You've got mail: YVR is conveniently festooned with newfangled Internet stations. Sure, you could peruse a few Facebook status updates (ie: Peter is wishing he had put mustard instead of mayo into his ham sandwich). But for a twist, go to 411.ca and look up an ex's mailing address, write them a postcard and mail it from the Canada Post outlet. Content could go two ways here: either dredge up as many ancient gripes as possible or do the "my life is so much better now that you're not in it" thing and brag about your Porsche collection and frequent Whistler getaways.

People perusing: In the market for a future ex? Stalking (a softer term might be "people watching") at YVR is at its best in the International Terminal on the mezzanine above the food court, where there is a sweeping view of budget diners.

Food and drink: Gorging on unnecessary calories and boredom often go hand-in-hand. But instead of defaulting to a personal dozen at Tim Hortons, why not add some flare to your consumption? Saunter down to the 7-Eleven in the Domestic Terminal and relive childhood by making your own root beer float (ice cream from the freezer plus fountain pop) or sipping a slurpee. Or relive the rebellious teenage years by picking up the cheapest bottle of vodka at the adjacent liquor store and stealthily swigging it in the public restroom.

As for solids, YVR boasts all of the standard fare. But wise travellers know that pre-flight sloppy whoppers could create unwanted digestive turbulence (not desirable when the seatbelt sign is illuminated).

Treat yourself to a swanky meal at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport's Globe@YVR or Jetside Lounge restaurants, where you can sink your posh derrière into stuffed armchairs and take in the exclusive view of the runways. Take that, Milan!

Once the purse strings are loosened, an $11.99 gourmet candy apple at the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory may seem justifiable.

Work it, baby: As you lick the last remnants of an Ultimate Oreo Tiramisu Caramel Apple, a herd of perfectly toned flight attendants is bound to bounce by and inspire an aftertaste of guilt. If so, drag your bloated body back to the Fairmont and use the Health Club ($10 for just the shower and sauna, $15 for the gym and pool). You can even drop into yoga and pilates classes.

Shhhh ... Had your fill of these sushi-eating, downward-dogging West Coast health maniacs? The Fairmont's Quiet Zone Day Room ($99 for four hours) is literally the stuff that lazy dreams are made of. Guests are provided with a night mask, ear plugs and a guarantee that no housekeeping activities (such as vacuuming) will disturb the peace.

Culture vultures: Refreshed travellers can flit about the airport and soak up a bit of culture. First Nations art installations -- including a massive Haida jade sculpture -- are scattered throughout both terminals.

A big breath in: Long delays may necessitate a breath of fresh air at some point. If so, grab a cab to the nearby fishing village of Steveston or do some plane spotting at the family park on Russ Baker Way in Richmond, which is specifically designed to give a thrilling view of planes taking off. Just don't linger there too long, as the fun takes a nosedive when that plane was yours.

- The first in an occasional look at how to pass time in the world's airports. Rebecca Stevenson is a Canadian writer based in Lewes, England who recently had hours to kill at the Vancouver airport.

http://www.canada.com/topics/travel/story.html?id=87df38e4-e5db-4797-8471-73abf15bb581&k=70524&p=1

phesto
Mar 2, 2008, 3:51 AM
The YTD traffic stats are up here: http://www.yvr.ca/pdf/authority/statistics/December_Traffic_Update.pdf

YVR managed to hit their target of 17.5 million passengers in 2007 (3.4% growth over '06), playing catch-up over a busy holiday season.

phesto
Mar 2, 2008, 3:59 AM
Also, cargo traffic hasn't really grown at all, and is still way down from 1999, when it peaked at 269,000 tonnes.

Interesting timing on this announcement, although I'm not sure what impact, if any, it is going to have in growing cargo traffic.

YVR approved for international air cargo transshipment program

Canada’s Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, Laurence Cannon, has announced approval for YVR to participate in the international air cargo transshipment program. The program simplifies air carrier access to the airport for air cargo transshipment, allowing the airport to seek new market opportunities and further develop its air cargo transshipment activity.

“Our government is pleased to have the international air cargo transshipment program in place,” said Minister Cannon. “Vancouver International Airport now has an additional tool to help develop its air cargo business, which will benefit the local economy.”

The air cargo program allows air cargo to be moved through Canada for shipment to third countries. For example, cargo could be flown from the United States into Vancouver, stored temporarily, and then flown to an Asian destination. Similarly, international air cargo could also arrive from overseas and then be shipped by rail or road from Vancouver to the United States, allowing the airport to take full advantage of the Asia-Pacific gateway and corridor.

“One of the key goals of the Asia- Pacific Gateway and Corridor Initiative is to make our West Coast ports and airports a destination of choice for shippers that take goods back and forth between Asia and North America,” said David Emerson, Minister of International Trade and Minister for the Pacific Gateway and the Vancouver-Whistler Olympics. “With this new transshipment capacity, the Vancouver International Airport is moving one step further toward becoming a true transportation and logistics hub for the whole North American market.”

The program enables the Canadian Transportation Agency to authorize any Canadian or foreign air carrier to use YVR to transship international air cargo, even if these rights are not provided in Canada’s bilateral air transport agreements. In addition, air carriers will be able to combine such cargo transshipments with other services for which they may be licensed.

“The program fits well with our overall gateway strategy for air cargo,” said Larry Berg, Vancouver International Airport Authority president and CEO. “It puts Vancouver International Airport in a more competitive position in facilitating international goods movement. With this program we are better equipped to offer a more efficient routing to carriers serving the Asian and North American marketplaces.”

Cargo security is addressed during the application process, and on an ongoing basis, in the context of broader security monitoring by Transport Canada and the operational activities of the Canada Border Services Agency. The Asia-Pacific Gateway and Corridor Initiative is a national initiative that was designed to contribute to Canada’s economic competitiveness, while also benefiting communities through which increasing volumes of trade must move. In its first eight months, Asia-Pacific Gateway and Corridor Initiative projects, valued at $2.2-billion, were announced across all four western provinces, including a federal contribution of almost $800-million.

nikw
Mar 5, 2008, 12:09 AM
Mabey im just way behind the times, but I took a flight to Toronto last week, and when I came back, the ramp from after the security checkpoint in the domestic terminal to the domestic gates was relocated with a temporary one off to the side and the other one closed down.

Does anyone know whats happening here? Because from what i saw there was no reason to in terms of anything in that general area that needed updating.

LeftCoaster
Mar 5, 2008, 12:18 AM
^ Link 2 building...

*See about 5 posts up

muzhav84
Mar 8, 2008, 3:23 AM
YVR posted amazing traffic statistics for January, with total traffic up 9%. Highlights include 21% growth in Asia Pacific traffic and 27% growth in Miscellaneous (mostly Mexico, Cuba, etc...). Anyone who has followed traffic stats at YVR will know, Asia Pacific traffic hasn't grown that much in recent years (there has been lots of new services and airlines, etc... but in reality, total growth has been slow for years). So to see this increase is definitely good news.

Not to start anything, but purely as a point of reference, the fast growing Calgary Airport only posted 3.12% growth. But notable for them was a 1% decline in transborder traffic, and only 1% growth in international traffic. This doesn't indicate a trend or anything, but it is an interesting comparison.

Here are the links:
http://www.yvr.ca/pdf/authority/statistics/January_Traffic_Update.pdf
http://www.calgaryairport.com/fts/getfile.cfm?FID=10166

phesto
Mar 8, 2008, 10:39 PM
YVR posted amazing traffic statistics for January, with total traffic up 9%. Highlights include 21% growth in Asia Pacific traffic and 27% growth in Miscellaneous (mostly Mexico, Cuba, etc...). Anyone who has followed traffic stats at YVR will know, Asia Pacific traffic hasn't grown that much in recent years (there has been lots of new services and airlines, etc... but in reality, total growth has been slow for years). So to see this increase is definitely good news.

Not to start anything, but purely as a point of reference, the fast growing Calgary Airport only posted 3.12% growth. But notable for them was a 1% decline in transborder traffic, and only 1% growth in international traffic. This doesn't indicate a trend or anything, but it is an interesting comparison.

Here are the links:
http://www.yvr.ca/pdf/authority/statistics/January_Traffic_Update.pdf
http://www.calgaryairport.com/fts/getfile.cfm?FID=10166

Impressive. I suppose Aus/NZ are included in Asia Pacific? I hear the Air NZ and the new AC Sydney non-stop routes are doing quite well which would support those traffic stats.

Not surprised to see YYC have a flat month or two, traffic at both YYC and YEG has been growing at such a rapid pace; gotta slow down at some point.

Stingray2004
Mar 8, 2008, 11:06 PM
YVR posted amazing traffic statistics for January, with total traffic up 9%.

Thanks for the heads up! Very impressive numbers!

Stingray2004
Mar 8, 2008, 11:13 PM
dp

mr.x
Mar 14, 2008, 11:56 PM
The deal was for $3-million...and I have to say that it doesn't make sense. An airport supplier????:koko: That's basic infrastructure, especially for the Olympic Games. What next? the official road supplier? official breathing air supplier??

I'm guessing VANOC was desperate for more sponsorship, and begged rich-YVR to become a sponsor. o_O

Flight 2010 Cleared for Landing at Vancouver International Airport - YVR Named Official Airport for 2010 Winter Games

March 13, 2008
VANOC News Release

Richmond, B.C. (March 13, 2008): The Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC) today welcomed Vancouver Airport Authority as an Official Supplier of the 2010 Winter Games. This partnership marks the first time in Olympic Games history that an airport has been named an Official Supplier.

As an Official Supplier, the Airport Authority has sponsorship rights in the airport category for the 2010 Winter Games and is committed to providing world-class operations and services prior to, during and after the Games. In addition, the Airport Authority receives the sponsorship rights to the Canadian Olympic team attending the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, the Vancouver 2010 Winter Games and the London 2012 Olympic Games. The sponsorship commitment includes:

- dedicated airport amenities and services for VANOC and 2010 Winter Games activities
- accreditation processing and departure screening facilities
- expedited passenger arrivals and baggage services
- specialized training for airport staff
- parking and ground transportation services
- office space

“As an Official Supplier, we will provide many athletes, officials, media and visitors with the first and last impression of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Games,” said Larry Berg, President and Chief Executive Officer, Vancouver Airport Authority. “Our goal is to provide a smooth, seamless and exceptional travel experience to every passenger that visits our airport for the Games or any other reason. We are enhancing our facilities, passenger services and customer care program to ensure we meet this goal before, during and after the 2010 Winter Games.”

“YVR provides the perfect opportunity for us to welcome the world in 2010. Today, YVR has made history, becoming the first ever airport authority sponsor of the Games and we’re pleased to have the support of their operations and customer service,” said John Furlong, VANOC Chief Executive Officer. “For visitors stepping off the plane, it will be like arriving in the middle of a Games venue. YVR is one of the most beautiful and accessible airports in the world, and it captures the spirit of Vancouver, BC and Canada.”

“Yesterday, we celebrated the two-year countdown to the Opening Ceremony for the 2010 Paralympic Winter Games in Vancouver and Whistler. Athletes are two years away from arriving in this airport with their specialized equipment,” said Todd Nicholson, captain of Canada’s Paralympic Hockey team, “YVR is a leader in its commitment to providing accessible facilities and staff training. This can only enhance every Paralympic athlete’s experience at the Games.”

The Airport Authority’s long-established working relationship with VANOC also includes separate, but complementary agreements covering terminal advertising opportunities and six dedicated Olympic Stores in the International and Domestic Terminals featuring Vancouver 2010 Winter Games merchandise.

The sponsorship announcement was made at a community event held in YVR’s new Link building, which connects the Domestic and International Terminals, provides additional check-in and baggage facilities, and will be the final stop for Canada Line trains heading to the airport. In attendance at the announcement were employees of Vancouver Airport Authority, local airport business partners, VANOC representatives, elected officials and other Games sponsors who marked the start of this partnership by signing a large-scale commemorative banner that will be displayed in the terminal.

About Vancouver Airport Authority
The Airport Authority is a community-based, not-for-profit organization that operates Vancouver International Airport (YVR). Canada’s second busiest airport, YVR expects to welcome 17.9 million passengers in 2008. The Airport Authority is undertaking a $1.4-billion capital program that will ensure the airport meets the growing demand for air travel and continues to be developed as a premier global gateway and economic generator for British Columbia.

MistyMountainHop
Mar 15, 2008, 8:12 AM
Funny bit from the Georgia Straight:

Toronto disappointed YVR named “official airport” for 2010 Winter Olympics?
By Martin Dunphy

Today (March 14), the Vancouver Airport Authority issued a media release announcing that VANOC has named Vancouver International Airport the "official airport" for the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Straight editor Martin Dunphy wrote a mock-response to the release:

A spokesperson for Toronto Pearson International Airport today expressed disappointment at the selection of Vancouver International Airport as the official airport for the 2010 Winter Olympic Games. The choice by the Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC) was motivated by bias, the spokesperson said. "Most of the people on VANOC who decided on Vancouver actually reside in Vancouver," John Leaffan said. "We think Toronto didn't get a fair shake simply because we are a few thousand miles east of Vancouver."

Leaffan also said Vancouver's facilities are inferior to those of Toronto. "We have miles of moving sidewalks and way more cabs and buses, and we are strategically sited to provide convenient access to connecting flights for Olympics visitors."

VANOC CEO John Furlong said Vancouver was the logical choice. "Vancouver was the logical choice," he said. Questioned further, Furlong said Vancouver had more to offer international visitors. "If you arrive here after a long flight from overseas, and you are hungry, thirsty, tired, and maybe don't speak the language, we are pleased to be able to offer security personnel with the latest in Taser technology," he said, adding: "There's nothing like a quick, long nap after a long flight."

clooless
Mar 15, 2008, 12:41 PM
The lady doth protest too much. The center of the universe is complaining that, for a few weeks at least, they wont be the center of the universe? Ridiculous.

If the Summer Olympics were held in Toronto I don't think YVR would be insulted if Pearson was chosen as the official airport to the games, whatever that really means.

Hourglass
Mar 15, 2008, 2:14 PM

By Martin Dunphy

Today (March 14), the Vancouver Airport Authority issued a media release announcing that VANOC has named Vancouver International Airport the "official airport" for the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Straight editor Martin Dunphy wrote a mock-response to the release:

A spokesperson for Toronto Pearson International Airport today expressed disappointment at the selection of Vancouver International Airport as the official airport for the 2010 Winter Olympic Games. The choice by the Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC) was motivated by bias, the spokesperson said. "Most of the people on VANOC who decided on Vancouver actually reside in Vancouver," John Leaffan said. "We think Toronto didn't get a fair shake simply because we are a few thousand miles east of Vancouver."

Leaffan also said Vancouver's facilities are inferior to those of Toronto. "We have miles of moving sidewalks and way more cabs and buses, and we are strategically sited to provide convenient access to connecting flights for Olympics visitors."

VANOC CEO John Furlong said Vancouver was the logical choice. "Vancouver was the logical choice," he said. Questioned further, Furlong said Vancouver had more to offer international visitors. "If you arrive here after a long flight from overseas, and you are hungry, thirsty, tired, and maybe don't speak the language, we are pleased to be able to offer security personnel with the latest in Taser technology," he said, adding: "There's nothing like a quick, long nap after a long flight."

One of the funnier things I've read in a while.

A quick, long nap?

dreambrother808
Mar 15, 2008, 3:33 PM
The lady doth protest too much. The center of the universe is complaining that, for a few weeks at least, they wont be the center of the universe? Ridiculous.

If the Summer Olympics were held in Toronto I don't think YVR would be insulted if Pearson was chosen as the official airport to the games, whatever that really means.

it was written as a joke, dude :)

dreambrother808
Mar 15, 2008, 3:41 PM

By Martin Dunphy

I do like airports with moving sidewalks, but I guess YVR isn't really large enough to require them.

On a side note, while this article is all in fun, it does once again reveal how much western Canadians obsess over Toronto. I find that to be embarrassing, akin to walking around everyday with a sign listing your jealousies and insecurities. It's similar to how Canadians, as a whole, obsess about the US to a ridiculous degree, even though the US pays us little to no attention in return. It's time we all develop some true dignity and stop putting out these kinds of self-defeating garbage.

excel
Mar 15, 2008, 8:11 PM
YVR has plenty moving walkways in the international and transboarder terminals, where the majority of the olympic athletes will be arriving.

clooless
Mar 16, 2008, 1:03 AM
it was written as a joke, dude :)

*smacks forehead*

Sorry, I was up too early this morning. I thought this was more than a little ridiculous.

twoNeurons
Mar 16, 2008, 2:39 AM
Hehe... no no no... Vancouver's airport doesn't need kilometres of moving sidewalks because locals don their Lululemon hoodies and treat the run home along the corridors as their personal exercise run. :D

SpongeG
Mar 26, 2008, 9:48 PM
Victoria gives Vancouver police $40,000 for 'Con Air' program

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/49fddca3-cdd6-4226-8890-7a25fcb8b71f/conair.jpg?size=l
Vancouver Police Chief Jim Chu (second from right) and BC Solicitor General John Les (right) announce new funding for 'Con Air' program at community policing station at 5657 Victoria Drive.
Photograph by : Bill Keay/Vancouver Sun

The provincial government has given the Vancouver Police Department a $40,000 grant to help run a pilot project designed to ship out suspected criminals with warrants in other provinces.

"There are far too many people in this province wanted elsewhere on criminal charges and I'm pleased to support the efforts of police to send them packing," Solicitor General John Les stated in a written release.

"The VPD tell me that with this funding from the Civil Forfeiture Office they will be able to send up to 30 people back to other provinces to face charges."

Dubbed the Con Air program, the project tracks down suspects facing charges in other provinces who have skipped out on their court appearances. Their warrants do not extend to B.C. so they are never called upon to face their charges.

So long as they do not return home, they never face prosecution.

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/bc/story.html?id=7f9aebbd-0d8e-4c26-96ff-50a98b175f82&k=79604

deasine
Mar 26, 2008, 11:23 PM
^I know the Vancouver Police Department is signing a petition demanding Ottawa to ship criminals back to their province. About 10 Vancouver police stations allow you to sign the petition. Sam Sullivan also signed it too.

mr.x
Mar 26, 2008, 11:48 PM
lmao, they actually had a model of plane with "CON AIR" imprinted on its side?

eduardo88
Mar 27, 2008, 1:02 AM

Well, they did get $40 000, why not go all out and get a "CON AIR" model plane too? Maybe they've drawn up a business plan for an ultra-low fare airline too? Commit a crime, pay the flight into BC, and get the return flight free?

officedweller
Mar 27, 2008, 2:08 AM
You can tell from the pic it's just a piece of paper stuck to the model.

SpongeG
Mar 27, 2008, 2:49 AM
lol yeah

i thought it was funny that they went to the trouble

MistyMountainHop
Mar 27, 2008, 4:31 AM
Criminals?

I guess the "Con" is for "Conrad" then! :haha:

ckkelley
Mar 27, 2008, 5:49 AM

Also, for additional gags I suppose, they also had a miniature plane "flying" out of the top of the clipboard they were using.

I thought that was kind of odd.

hollywoodnorth
Mar 27, 2008, 7:06 AM
they should have just had a DVD or Bluray of the Movie up there on display instead.........lol at the cheese model!

excel
Apr 1, 2008, 11:41 PM
1. Frontier
FR631 DEN-YVR 1000/1200
FR632 YVR-DEN 1255/1650
09MAY - 13OCT A319

2. NW
2 flights daily MSP-YVR with A320

3. flyGlobespan
Famous for long delays last year, returning 11MAY with flights to UK and Dublin.

4. KLM
MD11 returns 31MAR.

5. Thomas Cook
01MAY - 30OCT to Glasgow, Manchester and Gatwick.

6. LTU
YVR-DUS 21MAY - 10OCT

7. Belair
YVR-ZUR weekly 04JUL - 19SEP DAY 5
May be Air Berlin metal.

8. Martiair
YVR-AMS 09MAY, DAYS 1,3,5.

9. Oasis Hong Kong
YVR-HKG Daily 30JUN-31AUG

10. QANTAS
No news yet if QF is returning to YVR.

11. EVA Air
YVR-TPE Extra B777 05JUL - 30AUG on DAYS 1,6.

12. Air Canada
Following flight become year round:
Vancouver - Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo (1 weekly A320)
Vancouver - Cancun (1 weekly 767 from 05MAY08)
Vancouver - Maui (2 weekly 767 from 07MAY08 for flight increase).

Add 2nd daily Vancouver - Regina
Add 3rd daily Vancouver - Prince Rupert

03JUL-04SEP will add 3 extra weekly flights YVR-ICN

13. Air North fishing charters
May have up to 3 HS748s based at YVR this summer

excel
Apr 8, 2008, 5:06 AM
Richmond approval not required for airport expansion
Wendy Mclellan, The Province
Vancouver International Airport is preparing to add four new fuel-storage tanks that will nearly quadruple the amount of aviation fuel stored on Sea Island.
The new storage system, which is planned to be in operation by May 2009, will give YVR the capacity to store 48.8 million litres of fuel -- enough to meet airline demand for five days. Currently, the airport has on-site storage for 1.5 days.
Four huge tanks capable of storing nine million litres of aviation fuel each are to be built on the north side of YVR along Ferguson Road and will be visible from Vancouver's Southwest Marine Drive and south Vancouver neighbourhoods.
The 15-metre-high tanks, to be painted white to minimize fuel vapours caused by heat from the sun, will be surrounded by chain-link fencing and monitored by 24-hour video, according to a report on the project.
"I'm not projecting anything, but this would prepare us in case things went wrong," said Larry Berg, CEO of YVR.
"It would remedy any problem if the fuel pipeline was interrupted."
The airport's fuel-delivery, storage and airline-refuelling system is owned and operated by the Vancouver Airport Fuel Facilities Corp., a holding company managed by a consortium of commercial airlines that use the main terminal at YVR.
Most of the aviation fuel is delivered to the airport from Burnaby by pipeline. Some is trucked in from Washington state.
The airport sits on federally owned land and the fuel-storage expansion does not require approval from Richmond, said Richmond city Coun. Linda Barnes.
"I know there are concerns about the plan from our environment committee, but the lack of consultation and the quick turnaround time means we haven't had time to do our own assessment," Barnes said.
"My guess is they would have to abide by federal environmental regulations."
She said the city has not been provided with any details of the plan.
The fuel-facilities corporation hosted two open houses in Richmond to answer questions about the plan and to ask for comments about whether people preferred the tanks to be painted white or light green. The events -- Jan. 31 and Feb. 2 -- were advertised in the local community papers, said Andrew Mackey, who works for the communications consultant hired to manage the public-consultation process.
The public-consultation period ended March 7 and construction is expected to begin in May or June.
YVR must now complete an environmental review similar to the federal Canadian Environmental Assessment process.
The project now needs an environmental review and a building permit -- and YVR is responsible for signing off on both.
wmclellan@png.canwest.com

phesto
Apr 9, 2008, 4:22 AM
Why was the title of the thread changed from YVR??

Anyway, in YVR news, Oasis has bit the dust: http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssIndustryMaterialsUtilitiesNews/idUSHKG17584020080409

Sad to see them go, but not surprising really. Tough times ahead for the airline industry in N.A. with rising fuel costs combined with a recession - Delta and NWA are now talking about announcing a merger as soon as next week...

mr.x
Apr 9, 2008, 7:01 AM
^ just to make things a little more uniform.

Yea, sad to see it go...and a bit surprised as well. They seemed to have been doing really well.

deasine
Apr 9, 2008, 7:10 AM
Air Canada must be laughing now: they haven't changed their prices since day 1.

Great then Cathay will JACK UP THE PRICES back to normal.

Now my dream trip to Hong Kong looks like it's getting crushed again. I've only been to Hong Kong once in my life.

Sorry I'm getting just a little personal now.

Yume-sama
Apr 9, 2008, 5:11 PM
Air Canada can afford not to raise their prices because they have about 30 million people subsidizing them.

In my experience I've usually found Cathay Pacific / Japan Airlines to be cheaper, though. It could be just the days I'm booking, I guess.

Kwik-E-Mart
Apr 9, 2008, 5:55 PM
Well it's either JAL or KoreanAir for me when I fly to Hong Kong (via Tokyo and Seoul of course)... I do not want to spend 14 consecutive hours on an airplane (Cathay is out of the question given the length and price of the flight)

I will never fly with China Eastern, China Southern (coming this summer), China Airlines and EVA Air ever again!

phesto
Apr 9, 2008, 8:33 PM
Yea, sad to see it go...and a bit surprised as well. They seemed to have been doing really well.

Apparently they were taking a loss on pretty much every flight. Cheap long-haul flights combined with rising fuel costs aren't a recipe for success.

excel
Apr 9, 2008, 9:45 PM
That really sucks to see them go.

mr.x
Apr 9, 2008, 10:26 PM
Well it's either JAL or KoreanAir for me when I fly to Hong Kong (via Tokyo and Seoul of course)... I do not want to spend 14 consecutive hours on an airplane (Cathay is out of the question given the length and price of the flight)

I will never fly with China Eastern, China Southern (coming this summer), China Airlines and EVA Air ever again!

I usually fly JAL, but this past winter I flew on Cathay.....terrible service and planes, at least compared to JAL.

My monitor wasn't working, the seats were uncomfortable, the plane ran out of meals (wtf?) and gave out instant noodles instead, and there were very few washrooms (two washrooms for a hundred people).

On JAL, the monitor thing always worked and the seats were awesome. The food was also better, and the stewards were extremely helpful (the Japanese are awesome at this), not to mention a ton of washrooms (6 washrooms for a hundred people).

deasine
Apr 9, 2008, 11:23 PM
That usually doesn't happen... odd. But Cathay has improved their service dramatically since Oasis came. They used to run some of their worst planes on the YVR-HKG flight - now they run much better planes.

Anyway, I heard from a Cathay worker that Cathay Pacific is offering about $350 flights to those who unfortunately were victims of Oasis shutting down, but ONLY if you bought Oasis tickets.

giallo
Apr 10, 2008, 4:17 AM
Terrible news about Oasis. I was planning to use them this summer, but I ended up getting a 6 week return ticket from SH to VAN for $750cdn on Air Canada.

Yume-sama
Apr 10, 2008, 4:18 AM
I'm surprised to hear that about Cathay, as they are often referred to as being the best airline in the World.

My vote would go to JAL, still, but... I've had no problems with Cathay.

For first class though, I've heard NOTHING beats Lufthansa, Singapore, or Emirates. I'm saving my pennies...

bils
Apr 10, 2008, 6:57 AM
Big plans for Sea Island

Lisa Smedman
Special to the Richmond News

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

On the section of the Canada Line that leads to the airport, a station is being built in what looks, at first glance, to be a strange location. Templeton Station, located northeast of Grant McConachie Way and Templeton Street, is currently sitting in the middle of an empty field.

Vancouver International Airport Authority, however, has big plans for the land adjacent to the rapid transit station.

The approximately 24 acres (just over nine hectares) immediately south of Templeton Station is earmarked for development, said Raymond Segat, director of business and land development for Vancouver International Airport.

"We've done preliminary planning on that - density, heights, that kind of stuff," said Segat. "We haven't determined what (will be developed there) but we think it's going to be an office type development with a mix of something else in it."

Segat said the development would likely take the form of "tilt-up" office structures like those at Crestwood Corporate Centre in Richmond, which will soon be home to Microsoft Canada Development Centre. Tilt-up construction involves creating walls on the ground in slabs, then tilting them vertically into place.

"We're not prepared to go out to the market (yet)," said Segat. "We've been talking to the market, and we want to make sure that our organization agrees to how we want to go out to the market... But that's one of the uses we're looking at, because it's complementary to the (Canada) Line."

The Airport Authority, Segat added, is still discussing details of the exact form development will take.

"We have to determine whether we want partners in it, we have to determine a lot of things - the timing of it, the timing of the market, as far as development goes, because it's a fairly big parcel to develop," said Segat. "All that has to be considered."

Currently, the area north of Templeton Station is being used for overflow airport parking.

Templeton Station is being built on the 32-hectare (79-acre) Grauer Lands, a section of Sea Island named after Jacob Grauer, a German immigrant who established a farm there in the 1890s.

As federal land, the airport is not subject to local zoning requirements, such as those in place in the rest of the City of Richmond. With the federal government's approval, the Airport Authority can develop the land as its board sees fit.

Two other stations are under construction on the airport section of the Canada Line. One is at the airport itself. The second, Sea Island Centre Station, is on Grant McConachie Way, adjacent to buildings that house MTU Maintenance and Air Canada.

Vancouver International Airport Authority manages the 1,340 hectares (approximately 3,300 acres) of land that make up the airport - approximately 87 per cent of Sea Island. Only 15 per cent of this land is currently suitable for sub-lease or development, according to a YVR Land Management Guidelines report published in 2001.

deasine
Apr 10, 2008, 7:05 AM
Offices there? I was thinking they would have a parking lot LOL

Nutterbug
Apr 10, 2008, 10:29 AM
That usually doesn't happen... odd. But Cathay has improved their service dramatically since Oasis came. They used to run some of their worst planes on the YVR-HKG flight - now they run much better planes.

Anyway, I heard from a Cathay worker that Cathay Pacific is offering about $350 flights to those who unfortunately were victims of Oasis shutting down, but ONLY if you bought Oasis tickets.

Cathay banned Oasis (Liam and Noel) from their planes for refusing to comply with the smoking ban on board. Anybody remember that?

excel
Apr 10, 2008, 5:36 PM
Offices there? I was thinking they would have a parking lot LOL

From what i remember, they are putting the employee lot and extended parking lot near that station as well.

twoNeurons
Apr 10, 2008, 9:17 PM
I usually fly JAL, but this past winter I flew on Cathay.....terrible service and planes, at least compared to JAL.

My monitor wasn't working, the seats were uncomfortable, the plane ran out of meals (wtf?) and gave out instant noodles instead, and there were very few washrooms (two washrooms for a hundred people).

On JAL, the monitor thing always worked and the seats were awesome. The food was also better, and the stewards were extremely helpful (the Japanese are awesome at this), not to mention a ton of washrooms (6 washrooms for a hundred people).

My wife usually flies JAL or Air Canada and says JAL is consistently good, AC is hit n' miss and said the one time she flew Cathay to HK the flight personnel wasn't bad but unfortunately a few of the Chinese passengers on the flight made her flight miserable and gave Chinese people a bad name. (Naturally, Cathay pacific's customers have more Chinese personnel)

Changing a baby's poopy diaper in front of you in your seat, for example.

Of course, this is a general statement and what's acceptable as polite varies between cultures, but it certainly didn't give her a GOOD impression.

SpongeG
Apr 10, 2008, 9:23 PM
that would be some loud office uner landing airplanes

jlousa
Apr 10, 2008, 9:38 PM
I'm pretty sure they could build office space where you couldn't hear the planes. Can you hear the planes while you walk around inside YVR? now that I'm thinking about it I can't recall every hearing them inside.
I'm also pretty sure any officespace would only be related to airport business like cargo/customs. Maybe a 500,000sqft new home for Canada Post...

Yume-sama
Apr 10, 2008, 10:03 PM
You can't really hear planes in the Fairmont, so, sound proofing isn't all that hard.

deasine
Apr 10, 2008, 11:53 PM
I just think it's an odd location to put these "business parks." Like Yume-sama said, Fairmond does pretty good sound proofing, same with VanCity tower ontop of the SkyTrains [the conference room is right over the SkyTrains but you cannot hear a thing].

mr.x
Apr 11, 2008, 12:25 AM
My wife usually flies JAL or Air Canada and says JAL is consistently good, AC is hit n' miss and said the one time she flew Cathay to HK the flight personnel wasn't bad but unfortunately a few of the Chinese passengers on the flight made her flight miserable and gave Chinese people a bad name. (Naturally, Cathay pacific's customers have more Chinese personnel)

Changing a baby's poopy diaper in front of you in your seat, for example.

Of course, this is a general statement and what's acceptable as polite varies between cultures, but it certainly didn't give her a GOOD impression.

We call those people mainlanders. Cantonese/Hong Kongers tend to be a bit more courteous and polite than their counterparts across the border.

When Disneyland HK opened a few years ago, it was flooded with mainlanders who peed in public (against walls and bushes), pooped in sinks and urinals, budged in lines, pushed in lines, talked loudly (even on cellphones) while watching shows, and it goes on and on.....

Yume-sama
Apr 11, 2008, 12:29 AM
:D You see a lot of things in mainland China. Spitting on floors of restaurants, blowing their nose on the sidewalk.

It's mortifying at first... I can't wait until some uppity rich folks experience real China for the Olympics. :P

mr.x
Apr 11, 2008, 1:08 AM
:D You see a lot of things in mainland China. Spitting on floors of restaurants, blowing their nose on the sidewalk.

It's mortifying at first... I can't wait until some uppity rich folks experience real China for the Olympics. :P

Forget the Olympics, I'll go to China just to see these:
http://www.dejuiced.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/chinglish.jpg

http://largefiles.maasdigital.com/asia2006/cn_chinglish_small.jpg

http://www.foxnews.com/images/276001/1_61_041107_chinglish1.jpg

http://www.engrish.com/image/engrish/poisonous-evil-rubbish.jpg

http://www.cameraontheroad.com/photos/journal/alex/Chinglish14.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/42/78385893_ad4184632e.jpg

deasine
Apr 11, 2008, 1:22 AM
LOL those pictures crack me up everytime I see them. God I don't even understand what kind of translation guys they have...

Oh wait maybe too cheap to hire them. Went straight to google?

cc85
Apr 11, 2008, 1:36 AM
yea wrt templeton station, canada post, natural progression alongside fedex north of them. in terms of efficiency, it cant be beat for the lower mainland. canada post downtown is not operating on land at it's highest and best use.

hmmm fed gov owns the lands and is free to do what it wants and yet the garden city lands are fed lands and cant do what they want.

muzhav84
Apr 11, 2008, 4:17 AM
Traffic stats are up for February and OMG, amazing numbers! This type of growth is pretty unheard of for large airports, and it is the 2nd month in a row!

Highlights:
Domestic: +14%
Transborder: + 12%
Miscellaneous (mostly Mexico and Carribean): +36%
Total Traffic: +13%

Just a quick comparison, Calgary Total Traffic: +7%

http://www.yvr.ca/pdf/authority/statistics/February_2008_Traffic_Update.pdf

SFUVancouver
Apr 11, 2008, 5:01 AM
^ You should post that in the Canada section. Though maybe without that last part.

Kwik-E-Mart
Apr 11, 2008, 5:43 AM
We call those people mainlanders. Cantonese/Hong Kongers tend to be a bit more courteous and polite than their counterparts across the border.

When Disneyland HK opened a few years ago, it was flooded with mainlanders who peed in public (against walls and bushes), pooped in sinks and urinals, budged in lines, pushed in lines, talked loudly (even on cellphones) while watching shows, and it goes on and on.....

...and hence even though people from HK associate themselves as Chinese, but, like Taiwanese, they want to keep a safe distance from the Mainlanders. Some of my Mainlander friends are nice and courteous, but sigh there are still throngs of them that need serious re-education on how to act politely (the scene outside of Lafayette in Paris was an eye-opener for me when I was there in `05).

Enough with my rant. Low-rise office buildings adjacent to the airport at Templeton station is nonetheless much better than low-rise office buildings located in some suburban park in Surrey...

SpongeG
Apr 15, 2008, 4:38 AM
Cathay celebrates milestone

The date for the party had long been set. But last Friday, when Tony Tyler, chief executive of Hong Kong's Cathay Pacific Airways, arrived to celebrate 25 years of service to Vancouver, there couldn't have been a more poetic backdrop for the company's festivities.

Cathay's upstart rival, Oasis Hong Kong Airways, had shut down abruptly just a few days earlier.

Consumers were fuming and travel agents were shaking their heads. Estimates are that the Oasis failure has left some 60,000 bookings on the hook. Even the Vancouver Board of Trade had to deal with some 35 seats it had booked with Oasis for a conference in May.

And so, at the behest of the Hong Kong government, Cathay stepped up with a special deal for passengers stranded by Oasis.

"So far, we have rescued 2,000 passengers out of Hong Kong," said Tyler in an interview, adding that that included service to London, Oasis' other destination.

Tyler said: "To be honest, [Oasis] has never been a big thorn in our side. We never expected it to last. We know the business quite well. Their business plan didn't make sense, though I think high fuel prices accelerated their demise."

That may be the case, but for the brief 10 months that Oasis flew to Vancouver, it did ignite buzz about travel to Hong Kong, with people who had never been there before packing their bags and others heading back and forth just to shop and eat.

Tyler disputes claims by airports in Hong Kong and Vancouver that Oasis boosted traffic on the route to between 30 and 50 per cent, but admits that "if you price well below cost, you are going to price some people into the market."

Now, as jet fuel costs have skyrocketed and credit markets have shrunk, a handful of airlines have bitten the dust in the past few weeks and more are likely to follow.

Tyler, however, thinks that the low-cost model has particular challenges in Asia.

"Getting traffic rights to fly between third countries is difficult in Asia. The distances in Asia are a lot longer, so it's hard to get high utilization . . . . There are not a lot of cheap airports in Asia as there are in the U.S. or Europe. But the main reason is that carriers in Asia are already serving low-fare markets by selling the back-end of their wide-body, twin aisle jets. For $130, you can fly Cathay to anywhere in Asia; it's for a limited period, and it's not every seat, but those fares are out there, so it's hard for others to sustainably undercut you and grow fast doing so."

That being the case, "I believe it wouldn't be in Cathay Pacific's interest to start another so-called low-cost carrier in parallel with itself," said Tyler.

Talk then turns away from other airlines and models and their problems.

After all, it is Cathay's party and it's hard not to gloat. In 2007, the airline saw both record profits of $976 million and record numbers of passengers, at 17.8 million.

On Vancouver, Tyler said: "We started 25 years ago with two flights a week and now we have three flights a day. That's quite something."

Tyler himself was dispatched from Hong Kong in 1983 to start up the Vancouver operation, Cathay's first in North America. He remembers living for a year- and-a-half in a Vancouver bungalow on Minto Crescent off Granville Street (which he saw, on a quick drive from the airport on his way downtown, is still there).

"In 1983, I remember being picked up at the airport, driving into town and looking around and thinking, 'Where is everybody?' My God, how are we going to fill our flights to Hong Kong? There's nobody here.

"Vancouver was a sleepy little place then and it was in the grips of one of the worse recessions. The B.C. economy was in a terrible state. But, on the day, all these Chinese people emerged and descended on Vancouver airport and I thought, 'We are going to be all right.' "

In 1997, the airline established a cabin crew base here that today employs 205 people. By comparison, similar offices were not established in Toronto, San Francisco and Los Angeles until 2006-07.

"I have watched Vancouver over a 25-year period," said Tyler, who makes almost an annual trip to Whistler. "I have seen it growing and developing and the traffic building up."

In talking about Cathay's years in Vancouver and how they have mirrored the city's relationship with Hong Kong, Tyler said: "Lots of Hong Kong people have come to live here. Most have gone back. And now, we have Hong Kong and little Hong Kong in Vancouver and there is an enormous amount of traffic between the two. Kids have come here for school, university. Some have family here, there. Businesses have been set up, developed and grown . . . and perhaps not everyman on the street, but the business elite of Hong Kong do see Vancouver as part of their patch."

Tyler is aware that the next wave of migration to Vancouver is definitely a lot more focused on traffic to and from mainland China, but believes that "we will be part of that story too."

"We make our living out of connecting people over Hong Kong. Even though there will be more direct services, we will still capture a share of that traffic."

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/business/story.html?id=5e734e7d-08d7-4eaf-9668-17d22bb1ef45

twoNeurons
Apr 15, 2008, 9:12 PM
...and hence even though people from HK associate themselves as Chinese, but, like Taiwanese, they want to keep a safe distance from the Mainlanders. Some of my Mainlander friends are nice and courteous, but sigh there are still throngs of them that need serious re-education on how to act politely (the scene outside of Lafayette in Paris was an eye-opener for me when I was there in `05).

Enough with my rant. Low-rise office buildings adjacent to the airport at Templeton station is nonetheless much better than low-rise office buildings located in some suburban park in Surrey...

Probably the years of British Rule had something to do with it. I think it's partly a matter of having different cultural values, as well. I remember I was with a few friends, one of them here from Japan for a few years, and one of my Canadian friends spit his gum out (onto the grass or something). That's something that I think most Canadians probably wouldn't really worry too much about, but my Japanese friend was shocked... and said he couldn't imagine someone not throwing their gum out in a garbage bin.

Or even US/Canada values. I don't know about you guys, but I was ALWAYS told to take my shoes off in the house and it seems most of my Canadian friends were as well. But I consistently see both on American shows and in American homes where people leave their shoes ON!!!

But I'm actually surprised at the HK Disney stuff. I remember hearing about some of that stuff on Japanese News (and figured it was mostly mainlanders) and figured there was at least some exaggeration, knowing the relationship between Tokyo and Beijing. Didn't hear about the pooping and peeing in the sinks though... THAT's disgusting.

Anyway, back on topic... Anyone else here wonder how long it will be before the "future" airport Station will be constructed?

deasine
Apr 17, 2008, 2:25 AM
Most likely when YVR decides to build the expansion of the airport.

Anyway I just noticed that YVR purchased new shuttle buses

http://photos-252.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v233/79/110/537325252/n537325252_2700523_5417.jpg
New YVR Shuttle Bus ~ Picture by Me ~ Photo compressed with Facebook ~ 04/16/2008

http://creativecommons.org/images/public/somerights20.png (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.5/ca/)
[I]This work (above) is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.5/ca/).

Yume-sama
Apr 21, 2008, 6:00 AM
A little off topic, but does anybody know if Air Canada offers their new "Executive First Cabin" on flights from YVR to Narita? Looks like this:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1022/1417899186_9d55719c34_b.jpg

eduardo88
Apr 21, 2008, 7:51 AM
A little off topic, but does anybody know if Air Canada offers their new "Executive First Cabin" on flights from YVR to Narita?

Thats executive first class?!?! what a piece crap...especially for such a long flight...

mr.x
Apr 21, 2008, 8:42 AM
Thats executive first class?!?! what a piece crap...especially for such a long flight...

Supposedly, Air Canada is suppose to be the best airline in North America.....says a lot about the airlines in the states.:notacrook: :cheers:

excel
Apr 21, 2008, 8:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama
A little off topic, but does anybody know if Air Canada offers their new "Executive First Cabin" on flights from YVR to Narita?

Yea that is the interior on the 777-300ER which runs to tokyo.

mr.x
Apr 21, 2008, 8:56 AM
Tip for getting a FREE business class seat: book a long-trip economy ticket (i.e. to Japan, Hong Kong, London) on the day before Christmas, Christmas or New Years Eve. Arrive at the airport like 4 hours early, be the first to check-in, and the odds are the flight is overbooked and they will offer you a deal to buy your ticket. They'll give you a few hundred dollars AND upgrade you for free to a business class seat either on the same flight or another flight in the next day with all your hotel (at your destination) and transportation costs covered by the airline.

That's right....I spent Christmas on a business class seat!

eduardo88
Apr 21, 2008, 9:27 AM
Tip for getting a FREE business class seat: book a long-trip economy ticket (i.e. to Japan, Hong Kong, London) on the day before Christmas, Christmas or New Years Eve. Arrive at the airport like 4 hours early, be the first to check-in, and the odds are the flight is overbooked and they will offer you a deal to buy your ticket. They'll give you a few hundred dollars AND upgrade you for free to a business class seat either on the same flight or another flight in the next day with all your hotel (at your destination) and transportation costs covered by the airline.

That's right....I spent Christmas on a business class seat!

Haha, good idea, but i'd much rather pay for the ticket and not spend christmas or new years eve at a crowded airport!

mr.x
Apr 21, 2008, 9:59 AM
Haha, good idea, but i'd much rather pay for the ticket and not spend christmas or new years eve at a crowded airport!

well, it was actually a 2 am flight (yup, i spent Christmas night at YVR) and it was surprisingly not as busy as i thought it would be.....it actually wasn't busy at all.

And considering that I've saved thousands and thousands of dollars, it's all worth it!

Nutterbug
Apr 21, 2008, 1:49 PM
well, it was actually a 2 am flight (yup, i spent Christmas night at YVR) and it was surprisingly not as busy as i thought it would be.....it actually wasn't busy at all.

And considering that I've saved thousands and thousands of dollars, it's all worth it!

Chances are, the fares are ridiculously jacked up if you purchase them for these peak times especially at the last minute anyways.

Nutterbug
Apr 21, 2008, 1:53 PM
Supposedly, Air Canada is suppose to be the best airline in North America.....says a lot about the airlines in the states.:notacrook: :cheers:

At least you get what you pay for.

From doing an Expedia search for June 1:

Seattle-Buffalo flights start at $365.
Vancouver-Toronto flights start at $710.

Nutterbug
Apr 21, 2008, 3:58 PM
A little off topic, but does anybody know if Air Canada offers their new "Executive First Cabin" on flights from YVR to Narita? Looks like this:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1022/1417899186_9d55719c34_b.jpg

You pay all that money, but you can't face the window? WTF?

vanlaw
Apr 21, 2008, 4:16 PM

We get screwed up here - but if you hit some good fare sales the difference is not too bad - I booked Vancouver - NY direct for June travel on AC for $428 - taxes in - but that was on a 2 day sale. The YVR-YYZ flights on the same sale were about $460 taxes in.

sono65
Apr 21, 2008, 5:58 PM

Actually, I took that exact flight from YVR to Narita in Exectutive First Class. It was amazing, you have your own little hovel there, and the seats go completely 90 degrees. Highly recommended if you can swing it.

deasine
Apr 21, 2008, 11:04 PM
Oh my god that really looks ugly =O I would expect something like that for business. I mean, where's the leather seats? Premium materials accent? Privacy door?

I think it's so funny how all the airlines are converting to that seat layout, developed by Virgin Atlantic I believe.

vanlaw
Apr 21, 2008, 11:53 PM
Oh my god that really looks ugly =O I would expect something like that for business. I mean, where's the leather seats? Premium materials accent? Privacy door?

I think it's so funny how all the airlines are converting to that seat layout, developed by Virgin Atlantic I believe.

I actually dont think leather really works well for long haul flights - I did Lufthansa business from Frankfurt-YVR a few years back - they had the Recaro semi-pods (i.e. still 2 per isle - so you have to climb over guy to get to isle, but almost flat bed) - that was a sweet flight. Beats any other business class I had taken up to that point.

giallo
Apr 22, 2008, 4:37 AM
I managed to get an amazing deal with Air Canada. My round trip direct flight ticket from Shanghai to Vancouver (June 17-Aug 3) cost me $750CDN all fees included. I've never in my life had such a cheap ticket from Asia to North America.

MistyMountainHop
Apr 22, 2008, 5:18 AM
I managed to get an amazing deal with Air Canada. My round trip direct flight ticket from Shanghai to Vancouver (June 17-Aug 3) cost me $750CDN all fees included. I've never in my life had such a cheap ticket from Asia to North America.

Holy shit, that's cheaper than most Toronto flights!

SpongeG
Apr 22, 2008, 5:49 AM
Modular design speeds London Aviation Centre hangar project

RICHARD GILBERT

staff writer

Vancouver

The newest hangar at the Vancouver airport is being built using a unique modular steel system, instead of the traditional steel or tilt-up construction techniques.

Scott DesignBuild Ltd is building the new London Aviation Centre at YVR South Terminal for London Air Services. The 84,000 sq. ft. hangar/office facility will have a 366 ft. clear span required for the movement and storage of LAS’s fleet of Global, Challenger and Lear jets as well as helicopters and Boeing business jets.

Two large sliding hangar doors (44 feet high x 180 feet long) by Creative Doors, allow LAS ease of access to all aircraft. There is an interior fabric door system dividing the hangar in two, which allows LAS to keep one side of the hangar warm while the other side is open to the elements.

The construction of the corporate airline hangar and two-storey office facility will utilize a unique steel building system from the US.

“The complete steel building system is quite large and is coming up from Garco Building Systems in Spokane, Washington,” said Vic Donaldson, Scott Construction. Garco fabricates the building and we get steel plates, welded, packed and shipped on site by trucks. Its like a big Meccano set.”

Garco designs, manufactures and distributes steel building systems for commercial, industrial, community and agricultural applications.

Vince Triance president and owner of Vision Steel Contracting (VSC) said “I call this system Constructs for grown-ups, because it requires the builder get a drawing or plan and bolt all the steel pieces together.”

VSC was hired by Scott to erect the metal building from Garco. All components that are supplied by Garco make it possible for buildings to go up faster than conventional construction with reduced field labour and on-site modifications.

According to Donaldson, one of the unique features of this project is the speed in which the hangar and office building can be erected, enclosed and completed. The steel building system allows Scott to take this project from groundbreaking on Jan. 24 to full completion on Oct.31.

“To prepare for construction, Scott compacted and firmed up the land by putting preload material on the site for one and a half months. Scott put about 2 metres of preload sand and let that sit for a month and a half,” said Donaldson.

The geotechnical engineer, Horizon Engineering, checked the preload sand for settlement with gauges. A surveyor checked how much the land settled. After a few weeks with no movement, the preload was scraped off so the site was nice and flat.

The structural engineer, Bogdonov Pao Associates, designed all the footings and foundations based on findings of geotechnical reports.

http://dcnonl.com/images/archivesid/27284/750.jpg
RICHARD GILBERT

The London Aviation Centre building at Vancouver Airport is being assembled on site after the entire building system was manufactured in Spokane, Washington and then shipped in by truck.

http://dcnonl.com/article/id27284

Yume-sama
Apr 22, 2008, 6:16 AM
Well, I managed to finally talk to a real person at Air Canada today... and that interior is not available on their flights from Vancouver to Tokyo, as it is served by an Airbus A330-300 (which it was when I last flew with them 2+ years ago) that will be upgraded by the end of 2009 and only their Boeing 777's have been retrofitted, meaning Vancouver to Osaka has been updated, along with pretty much any flight out of Toronto, and Vancouver to Toronto :P. So, looks like I won't give them a second chance to kill me. I am a fan of their new interior, flew in an Airbus A319 from JFK - YYC in March, and it was completely new and nice. No way I'd step foot in their old planes again...

excel
Apr 23, 2008, 5:24 AM
wow that hanger just shot up.

excel
Apr 26, 2008, 10:06 PM
a UAE aircraft has been parked at the south terminal for 2 days now, anyone know why or who?

http://www.milehighcustoms.com/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=2245

SpongeG
May 14, 2008, 2:59 AM
Citigroup unit buys 50-per-cent stake in YVR Airport Services

VANCOUVER - The Vancouver International Airport Authority has sold a substantial interest in its global airport management subsidiary - YVR Airport Services - to an alternative-investment unit of Citigroup.

Under the terms of the deal, Citi Infrastructure Investors will acquire a 50-per-cent stake in YVR Airport Services. The subsidiary will become CII's investing arm for airport assets. Further financial details of the deal were not released.

YVR Airport Services runs the airports in Vancouver and 18 other airports in seven countries - including Canada, the Dominican Republic, Chile, Jamaica, Turks and Caicos, Cyprus and The Bahamas.

"This is a new chapter in a great made-in-B.C. success story," Vancouver Airport Authority chairman Graham Clarke said in a statement. "In only 12 years, YVRAS has grown from three people and a bold idea into a major airport development company, operating 18 airports in seven countries."

Notice of the pending sale was contained in a brief note near the end of the airport authority's 2007 financial statements last month.

The airport authority sold a 40-per-cent interest in YVRAS to U.K.-based CDC Capital Partners for $40 million in 2001, but CDC sold the interest back to the authority for $32 million in 2006.

Airport authority president Larry Berg said last month that ownership changes at CDC forced a change in the company's priorities.

He said YVRAS received approval from the airport authority board in the fall of 2006 to source additional funding.

"Over the past 18 months, YVRAS has been actively searching for a partner with interests in alignment with theirs," Berg said in a statement.

"If British Columbia is to grow, then YVR must compete and win in the gateway battle for airlines and passengers - and to be the best at home, you need to be achieving out in the world."

Felicity Gates, a partner at Citi Infrastructure Investors, said the unit is "seeking to establish a small number of best-in-class infrastructure platforms for growth and long-term investment, and so we are delighted to be able to announce this partnership with Vancouver - undeniably a global leader in airport management."

The airport authority posted a profit of $86.1 million for 2007, compared with $111.4 million in 2006, as Vancouver International Airport handled a record 17.5 million passengers last year - up from 16.9 million in 2006.

The airport authority said it invested $289.7 million in capital projects last year - including the airport portion of the Canada Line, the expansion of the international terminal, construction of the Link Building between the international and domestic terminals, and hold baggage screening enhancements.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/business/story.html?id=02d139fc-0ea9-40d4-b4cb-f4ad9263b224

twoNeurons
May 14, 2008, 4:49 PM
Well, I managed to finally talk to a real person at Air Canada today... and that interior is not available on their flights from Vancouver to Tokyo, as it is served by an Airbus A330-300 (which it was when I last flew with them 2+ years ago) that will be upgraded by the end of 2009 and only their Boeing 777's have been retrofitted, meaning Vancouver to Osaka has been updated, along with pretty much any flight out of Toronto, and Vancouver to Toronto :P. So, looks like I won't give them a second chance to kill me. I am a fan of their new interior, flew in an Airbus A319 from JFK - YYC in March, and it was completely new and nice. No way I'd step foot in their old planes again...

I heard a rumour they were cancelling their YVR - KIX (Osaka) flight. You hear anything about this Yume?

eduardo88
May 15, 2008, 2:36 AM
Actually, I took that exact flight from YVR to Narita in Exectutive First Class. It was amazing, you have your own little hovel there, and the seats go completely 90 degrees. Highly recommended if you can swing it.

well obviously you would expect fold flat seat in first class, but just look at those, they're so narrow and they look absoultely hideous.

Rusty Gull
May 15, 2008, 3:13 AM
I heard a rumour they were cancelling their YVR - KIX (Osaka) flight. You hear anything about this Yume?

Are you serious? That flight is -always- packed. And AC is the only carrier serving that route. If they bailed, I'm sure a carrier like JAL would swoop in.

muzhav84
May 15, 2008, 6:50 AM
it's true, they are cancelling it in October, aong with their Toronto-Rome route. They announced this when they released financial results last week. There are a couple of reasons. numnber 1 is fuel costs, which is also expected to result in further routes being dropped, or cut back in frequency. The second is the massive delay in receing their Boeing 787s. These planes were supposed to be delievered end 2008-early 2009, but have been pushed back to late 2009, 2010. These planes were supposed to replace 767, and A330, and other wideobodies. since they are delayed, it is really hurting. AIr Canada is planning to collect major damages from Boeing, as are many other airlines around the world.

excel
May 15, 2008, 9:50 AM
As of September 7, Alaska Airlines are dropping 3x daily service to San Fransisco.

twoNeurons
May 15, 2008, 4:23 PM
it's true, they are cancelling it in October, aong with their Toronto-Rome route. They announced this when they released financial results last week. There are a couple of reasons. numnber 1 is fuel costs, which is also expected to result in further routes being dropped, or cut back in frequency. The second is the massive delay in receing their Boeing 787s. These planes were supposed to be delievered end 2008-early 2009, but have been pushed back to late 2009, 2010. These planes were supposed to replace 767, and A330, and other wideobodies. since they are delayed, it is really hurting. AIr Canada is planning to collect major damages from Boeing, as are many other airlines around the world.

Yeah... I think that flight is suspended "until further notice" so the fuel cost makes sense.

They codeshare with ANA. I wonder if ANA would pick it up?

bbeliko
May 15, 2008, 5:34 PM

Same here, MEX-YVR=$700 average
MEX-SEA=400 average

SpongeG
May 18, 2008, 8:22 PM
talking about prices - my friend was/is looking for a flight to Edmonton in june - he found it would be $485 Return!! from YVR to YEG and than he looked it up and From Abbotsford a flight is $253!!! return

I wonder if the price difference is the landing fees etc?

he can pretty much get two tickets for the price of one by flying out of Abbotsford