PDA

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143

Hourglass
Apr 29, 2016, 3:52 AM
Noticed a nice little nugget at the bottom of an article about YVR selling off it's stake in Vantage:

http://vancouversun.com/business/local-business/yvr-sells-it-share-of-the-vantage-airport-management-company

It's a bit odd that YVR is exiting just after Vantage's big win with the LaGuardia Airport redevelopment in NYC. One of the selling points of Vantage has been YVR's success. I may be reading too much into this; perhaps it's simply down to management bandwidth as is hinted in the article. Or possibly the interests of the shareholders were diverging.

teriyaki
Apr 29, 2016, 6:21 AM
It's a bit odd that YVR is exiting just after Vantage's big win with the LaGuardia Airport redevelopment in NYC. One of the selling points of Vantage has been YVR's success. I may be reading too much into this; perhaps it's simply down to management bandwidth as is hinted in the article. Or possibly the interests of the shareholders were diverging.

I would assume it is a little bit of both. With such a large project looming ahead, it would definitely stretch talent thin managing both the YVR expansion and LGA complete redevelopment. With a budget as large as LGA, it would be easy to see YVR's goals start playing second fiddle.

Vagabond
Apr 29, 2016, 7:11 AM
I'm sure we all agree.

It's amazing watching certain routes explode so quickly whilst others remain stagnant.

Look at CZ on YVR-CAN. Started with 3 x weekly 772, then quickly moved to daily 788 now upgauging to a 77W in a relatively short period of time. NH to HND started daily 763, quickly moved to a 788 and now going to be 789 year-round in a very short time frame.

On the other hand AF on YVR-CDG seems to be stagnant with its 5 weekly summer service and 3 weekly winter service on 772s. Despite the public statement the route is exceeding expectations.... I wonder which benchmark they are basing that statement on? Traffic volume? Load factor? Yield? Profitability? I realise that's a new route from last year but I'd be curious to know if they had planned to boost that to daily this summer had there not been the Paris attacks. To have daily CDG would be a big chest pounder for YVR. Daily flights to 6 European airports in the summer at least would be fantastic... LHR, LGW, AMS, FRA, MUC and hopefully CDG. I still think we will see AC on YVR-FRA in the near future once LH decides what to do with YVR-FRA when the 744s get phased out.

Not sure how dependent AF's YVR flight is on India-bound traffic but, for what it's worth, they are almost always the cheapest European (and non-Chinese) option when I look at YVR-BOM or YVR-DEL flights. It's often cheaper to fly AF to India than it is to many cities in France! I also know that AF's CDG-BOM flight has on-again, off-again success, so maybe adding together two "shaky" routes equals highly competitive airfares. ;)

Anyway, I hope they stay at YVR, as I actually like AF better than either LH or KLM (especially in Y). But it's unlikely that a non-stop YVR-DEL flight is good news for AF (especially during the winter).

trofirhen
Apr 29, 2016, 2:55 PM
If they could get around the 'Freedoms of the Air' could / would / might Air France offer winter flights to Tahiti from YVR?
CDG - PPT thru LAX is 9775 miles. // CDG - PPT through YVR is 9824 miles.

Not a lot of difference. Would / could it be feasible / profitable? It'd be great for Vancouver, at any rate.

whatnext
Apr 29, 2016, 5:03 PM
And the other one from AC. (1971)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uers0oqTNx8/UHcm1Ie5qII/AAAAAAAAIuE/mxmtyQk0kyQ/s1600/AC+air+canada+1971+2+route+maps.jpg

http://airline-memorabilia.blogspot.ca (http://airline-memorabilia.blogspot.ca/2012/10/air-canada-19711972-canada-europa-usa.html)

Interesting that Montreal was a bigger hub than YYZ. And edmonton to copenhagen direct?

Not surprising as Montreal was very much Canada's pre-eminent city in 1971. It wasn't until the PQ came to power that it really began it's slide.

Interesting about Moscow. At one time it was quite the deal that they flew there. Were they the only North American airline to do so?

Hourglass
Apr 29, 2016, 7:46 PM
Not surprising as Montreal was very much Canada's pre-eminent city in 1971. It wasn't until the PQ came to power that it really began it's slide.

Interesting about Moscow. At one time it was quite the deal that they flew there. Were they the only North American airline to do so?

Pan Am also flew to Moscow in the 60s and 70s. I think those were the only two North American airlines to do so at that time.

bb1510
Apr 29, 2016, 8:19 PM
Cathay Pacific is opening a new lounge by gate 67 on level 4 on May 4th.

I assume they will close their old lounge located immediately post international security on level 3.

"Enjoy the newly renovated Cathay Pacific lounge at Vancouver International Airport

Cathay Pacific is opening the refreshed lounge at Vancouver International Airport on 4 May 2016.

Located at Gate 67, Level 4 of the International Terminal, the new lounge, which overlooks a scenic view of the runway and mountains beyond, provides our members with a relaxing experience before their flight.

Similar to all the other new Cathay Pacific lounges, this one in Vancouver also adheres to the principles of considered design. Studioilse, a London-based studio led by renowned designer Ilse Crawford, has applied the “Life Well Travelled” philosophy to create a welcoming space.

With the use of warm and natural materials in the décor and special lighting, the lounge has been designed to appeal to the senses and make visitors feel at home. Members can enjoy the surroundings and unwind in furniture specially chosen for both design and comfort, while for those who have to catch up with work, there are three individual workstations equipped with iMacs and printers. Wi-Fi is free and available throughout the lounge.

For food and refreshments before their flight, members may sit down to enjoy a bowl of freshly prepared signature Asian noodles at The Noodle Bar or help themselves to a range of light snacks and drinks at the pantry.

Silver members and above are welcome to enjoy the lounge before flying to Hong Kong and beyond. Also, with the new mid-tier benefit of Lounge Passes, members of all tiers can earn up to two Lounge Passes for the member themselves and/or their friends and family members upon reaching the required club points.

Please note that if the member is a minor and travelling alone, lounge admission and alcohol consumption follow local laws and the policy of the lounge operator. Proof of age may be required to access the lounge."

SFUVancouver
Apr 29, 2016, 10:34 PM
So when are you gonna fly it? It seems that your work takes you everywhere far. How about India? :)

We did work there before I joined the firm, but I don't see myself heading there any time soon.

LeftCoaster
Apr 29, 2016, 11:08 PM
I would assume it is a little bit of both. With such a large project looming ahead, it would definitely stretch talent thin managing both the YVR expansion and LGA complete redevelopment. With a budget as large as LGA, it would be easy to see YVR's goals start playing second fiddle.

I would agree, I think Vantage is largely a huge success story and became more than YVR wanted to manage.

Selling their stake does not mean they are still not intimately involved and I would imagine their partnership will continue to help both organizations.

LeftCoaster
Apr 29, 2016, 11:11 PM
If they could get around the 'Freedoms of the Air' could / would / might Air France offer winter flights to Tahiti from YVR?
CDG - PPT thru LAX is 9775 miles. // CDG - PPT through YVR is 9824 miles.

Not a lot of difference. Would / could it be feasible / profitable? It'd be great for Vancouver, at any rate.

Could be a good way to bolster an already existing route during it's weak season. LAX is most definitely a more direct route but it could make sense given the seasonal nature of YVR.

As for their rights to transport passengers from YVR to Tahiti I would imagine that is a large hurdle, but that's just a guess.

Maybe another of your well placed emails could get some wheels moving ;)

trofirhen
Apr 30, 2016, 2:22 AM
Could be a good way to bolster an already existing route during it's weak season. LAX is most definitely a more direct route but it could make sense given the seasonal nature of YVR.

As for their rights to transport passengers from YVR to Tahiti I would imagine that is a large hurdle, but that's just a guess.

Maybe another of your well placed emails could get some wheels moving ;)
..... Thinking of Freedoms of the Air, Tahiti is a TOM (Térritoire Outre-Mer) of France. Whereas Guadeloupe and Martinique are DOM (Départements Outre-Mer), and as such integral departments of France itself, Tahiti, although self-governing, still comes under French jurisdiction as a Territory belonging to France.
Would this make things easier regarding flight rights from YVR - PPT?
I address this question to anyone who knows (esp Johnny, of course). It may be a key that unlocks the possibility of winter seasonal to Tahiti.
details: see "French Polynesia"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administrative_divisions_of_France

mezzanine
Apr 30, 2016, 3:57 AM
As for the new terminal plans, Richmond said YVR has been working on that for years, with a final recommendation for an expansion outline to be presented to the airport authority’s board of directors on Friday. The expansion plan, which could expand the passenger terminal westwards, eastward or both, is expected to be made public in October.

http://vancouversun.com/business/local-business/yvr-sells-it-share-of-the-vantage-airport-management-company

My total non-insider's guess? My money is on the eastwards expansion with the simultaneous construction of the NS taxiway. The westward expansion would be too complex/expensive and disrupt current taxiways. The centre expansion would not be bullish enough in this current environment and cause more disruptions to current operations. Eastern expansion IMO would cause the least disruption and allow for proximity to build the NS taxiway.

https://www.biv.com/media/filer_public/cc/20/cc20121b-1762-48bb-a2d7-fdaac74f6f32/yvr_expansion.png

source: BIV (https://www.biv.com/article/2015/11/critics-question-yvrs-400m-terminal-expansion-plan/)

Klazu
Apr 30, 2016, 4:05 AM
Could a Tahiti route from Vancouver benefit from Quebeckers perhaps looking to travel there (conveniently via YVR)? I have never been to Tahiti, so I don't know where the typical tourists there are from. My impression is that it's an upscale destination and likely popular with all rich regardless of nationality and not just French.

Btw, it is one of my dream destinations that I hope to visit soon. I was so envious that on our way to the Easter Island some people continued on the flight onwards to Papeete. :)

Johnny Aussie
May 1, 2016, 2:23 AM
Well it's 1 May here already so that can only mean YVR's first regularly scheduled A380 route arrives tomorrow.

Pretty significant milestone in my eyes.

Perhaps another carrier is considering bringing A380s to YVR :shrug::runaway:

excel
May 1, 2016, 2:44 AM
I'll be there to see her arrive :)

^Is there something you know that we don't???

ShawnShank
May 1, 2016, 3:07 AM
https://twitter.com/British_Airways/status/726585908095508480

All that are planning to see it beware, it is planned to land on 26L NOT the usual 26R

Johnny Aussie
May 1, 2016, 4:48 AM
I'll be there to see her arrive :)

^Is there something you know that we don't???

Good to hear. According to Flightaware the aircraft operating BA85 tomorrow has already arrived in LHR from HKG... so a good start at least the a/c is in LHR.

Something I know that y'all don't? Ich weiss nicht!

teriyaki
May 1, 2016, 5:34 AM
https://twitter.com/British_Airways/status/726585908095508480

All that are planning to see it beware, it is planned to land on 26L NOT the usual 26R

Curious how you came across this information! Would love to see it touch down. I'm booked on the inaugural, will take lots of pics! :notacrook:

ShawnShank
May 1, 2016, 5:51 AM
Curious how you came across this information! Would love to see it touch down. I'm booked on the inaugural, will take lots of pics! :notacrook:

Saw it linked on another website :P

Congrats, make sure to post them here!

Johnny Aussie
May 1, 2016, 5:52 AM

British Airways publicly tweeted the A380 is scheduled to land on the south runway.

Of course it will depend on the prevailing winds but they would be aiming for a 26L arrival.

urbancanadian
May 1, 2016, 6:50 AM
British Airways publicly tweeted the A380 is scheduled to land on the south runway.

Of course it will depend on the prevailing winds but they would be aiming for a 26L arrival.

Any idea which direction it's more likely to land from? If it's from the east (land), then it could be a good chance to check out the new-ish Flight Path Park.

Johnny Aussie
May 1, 2016, 7:10 AM
Any idea which direction it's more likely to land from? If it's from the east (land), then it could be a good chance to check out the new-ish Flight Path Park.

Very good chance for 26L.

Forecast tomorrow between 1800-1900 is sunny and 18C-20C winds westerly @ 15 knots.

YVR Bruce
May 1, 2016, 2:53 PM
Ich weiss nicht![/QUOTE]

I had been thinking they would beat BA; it would certainly keep AC off YVR-FRA for a bit longer.

ShawnShank
May 1, 2016, 5:01 PM
The A380 will be G-XLEJ (delivered in Nov 2015), it is climbing out of LHR right now, with an ETA of 18:39

trofirhen
May 2, 2016, 12:40 AM
Ich weiss nicht!

I had been thinking they would beat BA; it would certainly keep AC off YVR-FRA for a bit longer.Is there enough traffic to warrant a A380 LH to Frankfurt from YVR? That comes as a surprise.

hollywoodnorth
May 2, 2016, 1:24 AM
looks like she is on final approach now >> https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/g-xlej/

Klazu
May 2, 2016, 3:39 AM
I saw it from our new place! We have a full view of the approach and the airport. Didn't take a photo but it looked majestic! :)

dharper
May 2, 2016, 3:41 AM
I took a couple of pictures of BA85 from my dining room window, as it was flying over north Surrey this evening.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7126524@N03/26158343614/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7126524@N03/26738715366/in/dateposted-public/

Credit: Myself.

Photos won't post. Here is the links:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/7126524@N03/26158343614/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/7126524@N03/26738715366/in/dateposted-public/

YVR Bruce
May 2, 2016, 5:53 AM
Others will have the data, but it would be fair to claim YVR-FRA carries much of YVR's originating Star Alliance traffic to continental Europe and beyond.

LH seems to own YVR-Germany, and perhaps in the darkest days of AC's financial past some sort of Star deal was done in LHs favour. With AC's return to health they need a good on-line Europe service link to keep their Freq Flier crowd happy (with cabin upgrade benefits). LHR is OK for connections to CPH, WAW or IST where there is a Star carrier heading to its base, but not elsewhere.

AC is aware. But whenever it looks like they might move on either YVR-FRA or MUC, LH preempts on the route (MUC) or adds capacity. The A346 upgrade on MUC is the latest move. Swapping FRA to a 380 in May 2017 would be in keeping.

New AC DUB and DEL service provides narrow alternatives. The rest of Europe / ME runs through FRA / MUC - at least for loyal YVR-based Star points collectors like me, with 10 x LH legs this year, thru both of those cities.

trofirhen
May 2, 2016, 11:48 AM
Others will have the data, but it would be fair to claim YVR-FRA carries much of YVR's originating Star Alliance traffic to continental Europe and beyond.

LH seems to own YVR-Germany, and perhaps in the darkest days of AC's financial past some sort of Star deal was done in LHs favour. With AC's return to health they need a good on-line Europe service link to keep their Freq Flier crowd happy (with cabin upgrade benefits). LHR is OK for connections to CPH, WAW or IST where there is a Star carrier heading to its base, but not elsewhere.

AC is aware. But whenever it looks like they might move on either YVR-FRA or MUC, LH preempts on the route (MUC) or adds capacity. The A346 upgrade on MUC is the latest move. Swapping FRA to a 380 in May 2017 would be in keeping.

New AC DUB and DEL service provides narrow alternatives. The rest of Europe / ME runs through FRA / MUC - at least for loyal YVR-based Star points collectors like me, with 10 x LH legs this year, thru both of those cities.
Do you think Munich could become year-round?

teriyaki
May 2, 2016, 5:40 PM
I saw it from our new place! We have a full view of the approach and the airport. Didn't take a photo but it looked majestic! :)

That's awesome, which building you guys in to get such a nice view.

I got off the inaugural a380 a few hours ago at LHR. Don't think I'll complain about connections in a Canadian airport ever again, or an American one and that's saying alot.

connect2source
May 2, 2016, 6:05 PM
Youtube video of BA A380 landing yesterday at YVR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaN7EaZiW_Y&feature=youtu.be

Vin
May 2, 2016, 6:38 PM
woohoo! The big boys are coming....

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2016/05/airbus-a380-british-airways-vancouver-international-airport/

Hot Rod
May 2, 2016, 7:15 PM
Do you think Munich could become year-round?

YVR-MUC is already year round.

trofirhen
May 2, 2016, 7:17 PM
YVR-MUC is already year round.
Are you sure, Hot rod? I thought it was still summer seasonal; not to contradict, just checking.;) I know FRA is year-round.

Hot Rod
May 2, 2016, 7:34 PM
also WRT using the South Runway, I think A380 can only land on the south runway since it is longer.

Hot Rod
May 2, 2016, 7:36 PM
Are you sure, Hot rod? I thought it was still summer seasonal; not to contradict, just checking.;) I know FRA is year-round.

No, no worries Trof.

Someone in the know can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the route YVR-MUC is year round

but that it is the plane, A346, that is seasonal. ... :)

trofirhen
May 2, 2016, 7:42 PM
The destination I'd LOVE to get from YVR is Istanbul, on THY, but YYZ has that locked down with the current bilateral. IST would be better for YVR that the M3 Gulf destinations.

trofirhen
May 2, 2016, 8:05 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/95/YVR_Destinations.svg/842px-YVR_Destinations.svg.png
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/95/YVR_Destinations.svg/842px-YVR_Destinations.svg.png

officedweller
May 2, 2016, 8:48 PM
Does YVR have double decker (or 2 single split bi-level) gangways?

LeftCoaster
May 2, 2016, 8:52 PM
Does YVR have double decker (or 2 single split bi-level) gangways?

The most recent intl' expansion has a few bi-level gangways.

casper
May 3, 2016, 2:38 AM

LF (and their subsidiaries), AC and United operate North American to Europe on a joint venture where they share the costs and revenue on all these flights.

jacobparry
May 3, 2016, 3:30 AM
Looks like Seattle is getting Shenzhen service before Vancouver, sigh

"Skyteam member Xiamen Airlines last week has opened reservation for its new service to the US, which sees the airline operates Xiamen – Shenzhen – Seattle route. From 26SEP16, the airline will operate Boeing 787-8 aircraft on this route, 3 times a week. Reservation is available in the GS at time this post goes to press.

MF845 XMN0930 – 1045SZX1245 – 1025SEA 787 135
MF846 SEA1325 – 1815+1SZX2015+1 – 2125+1XMN 787 135"

http://airlineroute.net/2016/05/02/mf-sea-sep16/

ShawnShank
May 3, 2016, 5:01 AM
No, no worries Trof.

Someone in the know can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the route YVR-MUC is year round

but that it is the plane, A346, that is seasonal. ... :)

YVR-MUC is seasonal, started yesterday (May 1), ends October 28. A346 operates 3/7 weekly flights starting May 14th and increases to 5 weekly A346 at some point in July iirc

ShawnShank
May 3, 2016, 5:02 AM
also WRT using the South Runway, I think A380 can only land on the south runway since it is longer.

YVR (on facebook) said south runway is a one-time thing and that most regular landings would be north. It also landed north today (May 2)

ShawnShank
May 3, 2016, 5:07 AM
http://airlineroute.net/2016/05/03/kl-w16update3/

KLM reducing AMS to 4 weekly A332 (from 5 weekly A332) this winter (October 30th start)

excel
May 3, 2016, 5:22 AM
26R/08L is long enough to land and take off an A380. However a take off on a hot summers day would be cutting it close on the north runway. ;) They planned the south runway for the plane spotters. :tup:

SpongeG
May 3, 2016, 6:48 AM
uGqTMxYPtZw

SpongeG
May 3, 2016, 7:00 AM
day 2

can you imagine being in the outlet mall when this thing flies over

1FOA3ZvCNP4

officedweller
May 3, 2016, 9:15 AM
The most recent intl' expansion has a few bi-level gangways.

Thanks.
The VanCity Buzz pic didn't show them clearly (if those were the ones pictured), so I was wondering.

LeftCoaster
May 3, 2016, 6:20 PM
http://airlineroute.net/2016/05/03/kl-w16update3/

KLM reducing AMS to 4 weekly A332 (from 5 weekly A332) this winter (October 30th start)

Very strange. Calgary and Edmonton both see service increases despite hemorrhaging international PAX, while Vancouver which is seeing double digit intl' growth loses a frequency??

LeftCoaster
May 3, 2016, 6:22 PM
I had been thinking they would beat BA; it would certainly keep AC off YVR-FRA for a bit longer.

Some guys over at airliners.net are also hinting around at Lufthansa bringing their A380 to YVR as well.

Seems too good to be true.

Don't they have a pretty limited 380 fleet? Would be surprised to see it come to YVR.

LeftCoaster
May 3, 2016, 6:28 PM

"Skyteam member Xiamen Airlines last week has opened reservation for its new service to the US, which sees the airline operates Xiamen – Shenzhen – Seattle route. From 26SEP16, the airline will operate Boeing 787-8 aircraft on this route, 3 times a week. Reservation is available in the GS at time this post goes to press.

That route seems kinda silly, why fly from Xiamen to Shenzhen only to backtrack back to Seattle.

Shouldn't it go Shenzhen-Xiamen-Seattle??

Alex Mackinnon
May 3, 2016, 6:31 PM
Very strange. Calgary and Edmonton both see service increases despite hemorrhaging international PAX, while Vancouver which is seeing double digit intl' growth loses a frequency??

Those cities both have seen a noticeable drop in affluence recently. It's not that much of a surprise.

nname
May 3, 2016, 6:39 PM
That route seems kinda silly, why fly from Xiamen to Shenzhen only to backtrack back to Seattle.

Shouldn't it go Shenzhen-Xiamen-Seattle??

SZX-XMN-SEA = no subsidy
XMN-SZX-SEA = subsidy!

trofirhen
May 3, 2016, 9:44 PM
In addition, both edmonton and Calgary are going to 789s on KLM up from A330s !! YVR staying at A330. I vonder vot is happenink?

LeftCoaster
May 3, 2016, 9:49 PM
Those cities both have seen a noticeable drop in affluence recently. It's not that much of a surprise.

I think you misread. Calgary and Edmonton are seeing increases, not decreases.

That's the surprise.

vanlaw
May 3, 2016, 10:30 PM
Some guys over at airliners.net are also hinting around at Lufthansa bringing their A380 to YVR as well.

Seems too good to be true.

Don't they have a pretty limited 380 fleet? Would be surprised to see it come to YVR.

Lufthansa has 14 A380's compared to BA's 11. I guess if BA can allocate one to YVR, no reason why LH can't. Surprising that YVR ranks that high for BA to allocate the A380 to Vancouver.

Hourglass
May 3, 2016, 10:53 PM

Market share grab, maybe? There's less Europe capacity and choice out of YEG and YYC (witness the impact Icelandair had on the Edmonton market when they launched).

Would be great to see LH A380s @ YVR -- hope this rumor is true!

CareerShow
May 4, 2016, 12:36 AM
Market share grab, maybe? There's less Europe capacity and choice out of YEG and YYC (witness the impact Icelandair had on the Edmonton market when they launched).

Would be great to see LH A380s @ YVR -- hope this rumor is true!
Maybe it has something to do with the loss of other services for both YYC and YEG to europe coupled with YVR gaining AF service 3 times weekly to Paris, which is the same parent company as KLM. So overall YVR still has more seats and services than both those airports.

Alpine
May 4, 2016, 2:36 PM

This makes Xiamen and Dubai the only longhaul destinations (that I know of) that Sea-Tac has and YVR doesn't. But, on the bright side AC is starting a seasonal, 3x weekly YVR-DEL service using a 787-9.

I just wish LH630/631 and upgraded from an A330-300 to an A380, and BA107/108 upgraded from a 777/747-400 to an A380, so that if LH's YVR-FRA route was indeed upgraded to an A380 in 2017, I would have two choices to fly from Van to Dubai on *two* A380s! (EK1/2 is only compatible with AC854/855 interline fares.) It's a bit of a shame that BA A380 service coincides with the most hellishly hot time of year in the Persian Gulf. #NorthernHemisphereProblems?

Still hope to see YVR-WNZ eventually...

trofirhen
May 4, 2016, 3:11 PM
My wish ..... YVR to IST. Also sought after by Craig Richmond. Very unlikely, nonetheless, I should think. Sorry for being repetitive, but ask for something; you might get it.

LeftCoaster
May 4, 2016, 5:53 PM
This makes Xiamen and Dubai the only longhaul destinations (that I know of) that Sea-Tac has and YVR doesn't. .

I think you mean Shenzhen and Dubai. YVR-Xiamen commences July of this year.

Maybe it has something to do with the loss of other services for both YYC and YEG to europe coupled with YVR gaining AF service 3 times weekly to Paris, which is the same parent company as KLM. So overall YVR still has more seats and services than both those airports.

Sure, there has been a lot of capacity added to YVR but with 7% growth in Europe PAX last year and a staggering 15.7% so far this year I just don't see why KLM would add capacity to a market like Edmonton where international was down over 11% in March and nearly 4% this year. It's decisions like this that make me less surprised AF/KLM is in the shape they are.

mezzanine
May 4, 2016, 7:51 PM
Maybe a sweeter deal with WJ's codeshare?

WJ finalized a direct codeshare in 2015 (http://airlineroute.net/2015/03/12/klws-codeshare-may15/) with KLM at YEG, which could explain Edmonton. just a guess though.

I thought it was a single AMS-YEG-YYC flight, but it looks like it is 2 direct flights. We'll see if it's sustainable I guess.

casper
May 5, 2016, 2:16 AM
Maybe a sweeter deal with WJ's codeshare?

WJ finalized a direct codeshare in 2015 (http://airlineroute.net/2015/03/12/klws-codeshare-may15/) with KLM at YEG, which could explain Edmonton. just a guess though.

I thought it was a single AMS-YEG-YYC flight, but it looks like it is 2 direct flights. We'll see if it's sustainable I guess.

Perhaps they are trying to pick up some of the passengers that were on the Air Canada flight to London before it was pulled and moved to Vancouver.

Klazu
May 5, 2016, 3:31 AM
My wish ..... YVR to IST. Also sought after by Craig Richmond. Very unlikely, nonetheless, I should think. Sorry for being repetitive, but ask for something; you might get it.

Keep bombarding YVR's customer team with this as often as you mention it here and we should have it in no time! :)

ShawnShank
May 5, 2016, 6:35 AM
Winter update: http://airlineroute.net/2016/05/05/ac-w16update1/

Some international 788 routes go 789 (starting Oct 30)

http://airlineroute.net/2016/05/05/zx-w16update2/

CUN and PVR increased to 2 weekly on rouge

zahav
May 5, 2016, 6:45 PM
March traffic has been posted. Amazing growth for Domestic, Asia Pacific, Europe, and Misc. all up 10% or more!! ([well, technically domestic was 9.9% and Asia is 9.5%, but come on, 10% :) Europe up 15.1%, wow! Overall 7.9%, which is a good following of the pace in February (taking the leap year into account), and puts YTD at 8.4% (over 5,000,0000 in just 3 months is amazing, and these are some of the slow months). Transborder growth at 2%, but should pick up, and still respectable (esp compared to the carnage of the transborder stats in Alberta)

http://www.yvr.ca/en/about-yvr/facts-and-stats You need to scroll down to the traffic updates section and get the PDF

LeftCoaster
May 5, 2016, 11:36 PM
Amazing numbers. Completely surprised by the domestic. I would almost have expected high transborder and low domestic. Seems inverted to me!

Either way another monster month for YVR, to say it just keeps chugging along is a huge understatement, the start of the year has been an absolute tear! Looking forward to the summer figures, hope it keeps up!

Winter update: http://airlineroute.net/2016/05/05/ac-w16update1/

Some international 788 routes go 789 (starting Oct 30)

http://airlineroute.net/2016/05/05/zx-w16update2/

CUN and PVR increased to 2 weekly on rouge

Specifically:

Vancouver – Brisbane Boeing 787-9 replaces -8, daily service
Vancouver – Seoul Incheon Boeing 787-9 replaces -8, daily service
Vancouver – Shanghai Pu Dong Boeing 787-9 replaces -8, daily service
Vancouver – Tokyo Narita 30OCT16 – 19FEB17 Boeing 787-9 replaces -8, daily service (777-300ER operates on 18FEB17/19FEB17 from YVR)

A pretty decent upgrade if you ask me. Not one downguage in the winter update and 4 upguages.

Only thing this leaves me wondering is what's happening to the 787-8s that used to be on these runs? Hopefully we see some more new routes for YVR and YYZ.

ShawnShank
May 5, 2016, 11:41 PM
Only thing this leaves me wondering is what's happening to the 787-8s that used to be on these runs? Hopefully we see some more new routes for YVR and YYZ.

Maybe they will replace more 763s as those are retired/rouged?

LeftCoaster
May 5, 2016, 11:51 PM
Some more good news for YVR, Air New Zealand is adding another frequency during it's low period in the shoulder season. Going from 3x PW to 4x. Looks like this one is close to going daily year round.

Air New Zealand to add fourth flight on YVR-AKL route

Thursday, May 5, 2016
Posted by Travelweek Group

VANCOUVER — Following the recent success of its additional seasonal daily service from Vancouver-Auckland, Air New Zealand will be adding a further return service on this route between Oct. 15 and Dec. 3, 2016, thus increasing its frequency from three to four return services per week.

With the fourth flight departing Vancouver on Saturdays, the airline will add nearly 5,000 seats to the route, which represents a 33% boost in capacity compared to the previous year.

The latest increase is part of the airline’s overall capacity increase on the route, and marks the second capacity lift in the last six months. This marks the first time Air New Zealand has operated four return services during this time period.

“We are very pleased with the continued growth out of our Vancouver gateway. With the additional return service, we are able to offer our Canadian customers greater flexibility and connectivity to New Zealand and Australia.”

During the Northern Winter peak period from Dec. 9, 2016 to Jan. 30, 2017, the airline will once again move to daily return services as operated over the same period last year.

For more go to airnewzealand.ca.
http://www.travelweek.ca/news/air-new-zealand-add-fourth-flight-yvr-akl-route/

Hourglass
May 6, 2016, 3:23 AM
Keep bombarding YVR's customer team with this as often as you mention it here and we should have it in no time! :)

Interestingly, there has been a rumor that has popped up a couple of times recently on Airliners.net about TK wanting to launch YVR-IST. I believe the bilateral agreement would need to be re-negotiated, but interesting nonetheless!

Really impressive growth figures. If this keeps up, YVR will be at 25 million pax much earlier than their 2025 plan.

trofirhen
May 6, 2016, 3:45 AM
Thanks for the reinforcement on that, Klazu:tup:The most powerful thing is often the written word; for any potential passengers, letters and letters to the teams and to the top might do it

trofirhen
May 6, 2016, 3:54 AM
Interestingly, there has been a rumor that has popped up a couple of times recently on Airliners.net about TK wanting to launch YVR-IST. I believe the bilateral agreement would need to be re-negotiated, but interesting nonetheless!

Really impressive growth figures. If this keeps up, YVR will be at 25 million pax much earlier than their 2025 plan.
Excuse a subsequent post, but Ihave a question.
Not being able to look it up myself, you you know where and how to find this?
Thanx

Suffice to say here that I think a YVR - IST route is potentially super good for YVR, and TK is developping massively.
Under the current bilateral, YYZ has it locked down, with daliy nonstops by both TK and AC. Montreal gets TK 3x a week.
We called and called and called for India, and we finally got Delhi, which may get big on them sooner than they think.
Now, everybody, please, let the idea of TK nonstop to mythic IST and beyond, enter your minds.
Realize how great as a destination for Vancouver this is, esp including the large Iranian, Caucasian, and Balkan minorities here, and serving beyond that, of course.
Remember all this (and you will...) and please consider pushing for TK to IST. TK made the first request, I believe, so its the feds who are blocking it if TK can't fly here.

Hourglass
May 6, 2016, 7:23 AM
Excuse a subsequent post, but Ihave a question.
Not being able to look it up myself, you you know where and how to find this?

Here you go: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/6614855/

It's at reply 18 & 19.

trofirhen
May 6, 2016, 11:15 AM
Here you go: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/6614855/

It's at reply 18 & 19.
Hmmmm, Seattle might get TK if the BC and Canadian government dither around, it seems. That would make me angry. Sure hope Turkish comes our way!!!
In the USA, there is an Open Sky between Turkey and the USA. Why does Canada have to be so protectionist? (wait, don't answer that, I can hear distant YYZ sniggers.....)

LeftCoaster
May 6, 2016, 10:31 PM
Stumbled across this the other day:

http://i.imgur.com/FmQzChY.png
http://aviation.itu.edu.tr/%5Cimg%5Caviation%5Cdatafiles/Lecture%20Notes/Network%20Fleet%20Schedule%20Strategic%20Planning/Analys%20Case%20Study%20Notes/5%20Turkish%20Passenger%20Market%20Analysis.pdf

You can see YVR-IST O&D well over 1,000 PAX per month and showing the strongest growth of all unserved markets.

Further the study looks at yield expectations:

http://i.imgur.com/wpPV5jQ.png
http://aviation.itu.edu.tr/%5Cimg%5Caviation%5Cdatafiles/Lecture%20Notes/Network%20Fleet%20Schedule%20Strategic%20Planning/Analys%20Case%20Study%20Notes/5%20Turkish%20Passenger%20Market%20Analysis.pdf

Vancouver does not fair as well here, with much of the travel being discount economy, however first and business is still relatively strong.

Finally they look at O&D plus connecting traffic:

http://i.imgur.com/fbfZ1TR.png

This is where YVR really shines, as it's other flows are relatively much stronger than other unserved NA markets.

Looking at this data (from all the way back in 2013) the YVR-IST market does not look as weak as I thought. Given the recent growth at YVR as well it could be a viable 3 per week A330 market.

trofirhen
May 6, 2016, 11:24 PM
Wow, Thanks LC !!!!
May Istanbul become the new, long sought after destination, as was Delhi.
Again, great information, and many thanks.

Alpine
May 7, 2016, 1:36 AM
Warning: Novel ahead! Approach with caution.

AC has been treating YVR so well! 789 service to Narita, Seoul and Shanghai!

I remember, back in the 2007-2013 time period (before Project XM really got into gear), YYZ got all the new birds at the expense of YVR, which seemed cursed with ancient aircraft. This was around the time I started hearing about AC/YYZ trying to stop the ME3 from starting service from YVR to MENASA.

YYZ got all the A340-500s, 777-200LRs and 777-300ERs with seatback TVs. YVR was mostly stuck with a motley crew of 767s, A330s and A340s that were between 15 and 25 years old and had ancient overhead projectors:

Original AC 767-300ERs (delivered 1993-1995)
A340-300s (one delivered in 1993, the rest from 1995-1999)
Ex-Canadian Airlines 767-300ERs (From 1988! just after CP Air's merger with PWA)

AC854/855 to LHR also switched between 763s and 333s, as did AC29/30 to PEK and AC33/34 to SYD.

As Project XM spread to the older A330s and 767s, and non-XM 333/763 were retired, I started feeling happier, but was still disappointed that AC wouldn't bring more 777s to YVR. AC7/8 to HKG was the only 77W flight, and we also got a 77L on the YYZ-SYD route since AC33/34 stopped over here.

TATL flights were also pretty painful to see.

Lufthansa sent A340-300s to YVR instead of A380s or 787-8i's (that LH 74H that hopped to Vancouver from Paine Field in 2012 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaabfa43Ecs) doesn't count since it was a non-revenue flight. If I recall, it was LH's first 74H delivered, having finished testing at PAE and making a short visit to YVR before continuing on to Germany). The 346 were nice but starting in 2014 they were replaced with LH's ancient 744s. There was always a chance you'd be on a non-retrofitted aircraft (the route got the 2-class 744s initially) and have overhead TVs in economy instead of seatback TVs.

KLM had freakin' MD-11s coming to YVR! Not to mention it was a quasi-seasonal flight: only daily from May to October, and 4x weekly the rest of the year (with the other three flights per week diverted to YYC). Kind of a shame that such an important Skyteam hub got relatively skeleton service. Even now KL682/681 is still a 5x weekly 333 outside of the summer months, where it's a daily 772.

Thankfully, BA was a rare high point in YVR's longhaul doldrums, with twice-daily 744s in the summer and daily 744s the rest of the year, a great competitor to AC's A330s and 767s. It was a shame that AC/YYZ threw a tantrum at the federal government and chased away Virgin Atlantic's service to YVR.

I shouldn't forget, JAL used to have twice daily 744s (JL11/12 and JL17/18) to Narita...then the triple whammy of the global financial meltdown, bankruptcy and 3/11 reduced that to a solitary daily 767-300ER. Even now, Vancouver-Japan traffic is still served by 787-8s, with nary a 787-9 or 777 in sight (with the exception of ANA which upgauged its Vancouver-Haneda service to a 789). Would it kill JAL to send a 77W over, or ANA to send a 388 or one of their upcoming 777X's over? At least AC3/4 is being upgauged to a 789 in the winter, hopefully it'll be a 77W in summer 2017.

Fast forward to 2016 and it's been incredible how things have improved. AC started (or will be starting) service to Brisbane, Silicon Valley, San Diego(!), Mexico City (!), and New Delhi (!!!). Okay, YVR-DEL is a seasonal route for Diwali, YVR-SAN is a seasonal AC Rouge A319, and YVR-SJC is an AC Rouge CRJ, but I'll take what I can get.

More praise for AC...they're now 789s on routes that only a few years ago were being served by 333s and 763s. Unfortunately, YVR-EWR doesn't get a 789, only a 788. Still pretty good considering it used to be an A319 flying to one of the fastest growing airports in the U.S. (It's much closer to Manhattan than JFK! Which probably ties into EWR's booming pax numbers.)

What's more, there are now 3 flights daily to LHR on new planes (AC 77W, AC 789 (seasonal), BA 388), and we finally get daily year-round nonstop flights to Paris and Latin American destinations. From no mainline flights to Latin America at all to twice-daily YVR-MEX!

With that being said, YVR still has work to do on the MENASA side, and apart from AC72/73 coming this October, I am not hopeful. AC already has service from Toronto to three key MENASA destinations (all using 789s): a daily YYZ-DEL (AC70/71), a 3x weekly YYZ-DXB (AC56/57) alongside Emirates' 3x weekly 388 (EK242/241), as well as a daily* YYZ-IST (AC810/811) alongisde Turkish Airlines' 6x weekly 77W (TK18/17).

I believe it is a certainty that AC and YYZ will cry bloody murder to the federal government if the ME3/TK even dares try to reopen bilateral treaties for YVR-DXB/YVR-IST service, and even under Justin Trudeau, I also believe it is a certainty that the feds will be protectionist--the Liberals bailed out Bombardier, after all. (I have some other worries about how the Trudeau government could potentially be protectionist, but those are related to the auto and telecoms industries and so are off topic for this thread--you can PM me if you really want to hear my ramblings.)

I believe it was this kind of protectionism that motivated EK to start 2x daily SEA-DXB service (using a 77W because Sea-Tac can't handle the A380), to snatch up YVR-MENASA traffic that doesn't fly AC or China Southern (or just don't want to have to transit in Guangzhou).

My opinions on the ME3 seem to shift by the day, between ambivalence due to lax labour regulations in the UAE/Qatar) and the potential to cannibalize LH and ULH routes, and awe due to their profitability and quality of service.

However, that profitability stems from the fact that the ME3 has no short/medium haul routes (longhaul is the most profitable area for any airline) and lax labour regulations in the GCC countries, which cuts down on overhead. I think that's what U.S. airlines mean when they talk about how ME3 airlines are subsized.

I don't know if the ME3 get larger (direct) state subsidies than U.S. airlines or Air Canada do, but I doubt it. In GCC countries, you can employ people on the super-duper cheap, with all the absence of worker's rights that entails. Namely, Qatar Airways treats their cabin crew like slaves, something that has gotten the attention of the ILO in a city.

About cannibalization: There are rumours circulating on Airliners.net that EK's expansion to SEA cost them a few airlines; in YVR, an ME3 airline might cannibalize Star Alliance routes since YYZ and FRA are both major *A hubs to MENASA. AC and LH have worked hard to build up their service at YVR, and I have little doubt that one of the reasons LH493/492 upgauged from a 343 to a 744, and BA switched from 2x daily 744s to a 1x daily 388 was to compete against EK228/227 and EK230/229, AC70/71, AC56/57 and CZ330/329 for Vancouver-MENASA traffic, especially among business travellers (trying to tap into Vancouver's diverse population, I guess). It's not just AC, LH and BA who might lose out; Skyteam airlines might as well. I've seen some competitive KLM and AF YVR-DEL fares recently (for YVR-DXB, no one can beat BA's fares, not even AC).

All the same, an ME3 carrier would be awesome for travellers to the eastern Med/Levant. My parents are from Ethiopia, and my dad goes there every year. I think I've mentioned my experiences flying from YVR to Addis previously, SFUVancouver you may know. But flying out of YVR is surprisingly expensive; the lowest 1-stop fares to Addis I found were in the $1,700 to $1,800 range. (2-stop flights via Doha or Nairobi like YVR-LAX-DOH-ADD or YVR-AMS-NBO-ADD are about $1,400, but sometimes comfort is more important than price. This is one of those times.) ME3 service to YVR might make YVR-Addis (and this goes for other overlooked destinations in the Levant or Africa as well) much, much cheaper.

Another area where I think YVR needs improvement is direct flights to Southeast Asia. A nonstop YVR-SIN would be at the top of my list, but a YVR-BKK would be nice too, or even YVR-KUL or YVR-CGK, since Malaysia and Indonesia are emerging economic powers. Unfortunately, something tells me that demand from YVR to SE Asia is decreasing, since Phillippine Airlines recently cut its YVR-MNL service from 11 weekly (daily 77W, 4 weekly 343) to just the daily 77W, despite Vancouver's large Filipino community and the economic boom the Phillippines is enjoying. Why so few direct flights to SE Asia, not even a direct YVR-SIN? Are they not necessary due to YVR's broad network in areas well connected to the region (south China/Taiwan, Japan, Australia/NZ)? Is it because AC/YYZ would complain about bilaterals like with MENASA?

I have a request. Does anyone have access to internal statistics from airlines or airports about the final destination of their onward passengers, or the proportion of their pax who are VFR/leisure compared to the more lucrative hub/business travellers?

I am not privy to such information, so I have to rely on anecdotes Like this one from the Vancouver subreddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/499ljs/hi_yvr_aviation_enthusiasts_what_is_on_the_docket/d0qg5pm) or infer from checking on the ITA Matrix, Skyscanner.ca, etc. on which airline has the lowest fares out of YVR (to DEL, it's CZ or MU. To DXB, it's BA).

It would interesting if I saw data from the YVR airport authority, on how many people that take BA84 are flying on to DXB, TLV, JNB, etc. Or, Emirates keeping track of how many pax on EK228 or EK230 connected from YVR. Or, the proportion of YVR travellers flying to some non-direct longhaul final destination who are low-yielding O&D VFR/leisure/tourism traffic, compared to high-yielding business travellers in the premium cabins. Something like, "we've found that x% of YVR-DEL traffic is O&D", or "x% of passengers on LH493 were flying onward to DEL". Something like that.

jmt18325
May 7, 2016, 7:42 PM
Last I checked, the Trudeau Liberals have not bailed out Bombardier.

SpongeG
May 8, 2016, 3:19 AM
has anyone gone down to watch the a380 land? i did tonight it was pretty awesome, quite a lot of people out there too

vanlaw
May 8, 2016, 3:51 PM
has anyone gone down to watch the a380 land? i did tonight it was pretty awesome, quite a lot of people out there too

I was there last night. The outlets is a pretty great place for plane spotting.

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb382/eastvan1/YVR/IMG_20160508_36265_zpscfuehjzf.jpg (http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/eastvan1/media/YVR/IMG_20160508_36265_zpscfuehjzf.jpg.html)

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb382/eastvan1/YVR/IMG_20160508_59892_zpsepdptqb6.jpg (http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/eastvan1/media/YVR/IMG_20160508_59892_zpsepdptqb6.jpg.html)

SpongeG
May 8, 2016, 5:08 PM
cool, yea i like how everyone stops and looks up when a plane flys over, the bigger ones also seem to set off a few car alarms in the parking lot

trofirhen
May 8, 2016, 9:13 PM
I'll be equally happy if / when we see Singapore, LATAM, and Turkish fly in.

LeftCoaster
May 9, 2016, 6:31 PM
Wow, Thanks LC !!!!
May Istanbul become the new, long sought after destination, as was Delhi.
Again, great information, and many thanks.

No worries, was diving into it myself and thought there would be some interest here.

The new Delhi destination will surely cut into TK demand a bit but with travel into Iran seeming to open up a bit more every year it could be a great transfer point into Tehran and other Iranian cities for the large and wealthy Persian diaspora here.

If things continue well that could be another carrier as well, as with the sanctions being lifted Iran air looks like they are major fleet expansion mode. An Iran Air direct to Tehran would sure be a cool route to nab!

LeftCoaster
May 9, 2016, 6:47 PM
Warning: Novel ahead! Approach with caution.

AC has been treating YVR so well! 789 service to Narita, Seoul and Shanghai!

Don't forget about the domestic ramp up. 8 widebodies a day in the summer!

I don't know if the ME3 get larger (direct) state subsidies than U.S. airlines or Air Canada do, but I doubt it. In GCC countries, you can employ people on the super-duper cheap, with all the absence of worker's rights that entails. Namely, Qatar Airways treats their cabin crew like slaves, something that has gotten the attention of the ILO in a city.

I think how the ME3 is able to operate so cheaply isn't wages or workers rights but fuel subsidies. Gasoline and subsequently jetfuel is incredibly cheap in the gulf, allowing the ME3 a massive advantage over airlines in countries without fuel subsidies.

SFUVancouver
May 9, 2016, 8:01 PM
Last Thursday, May 5th, I was changing from a bus to the SkyTrain at Bridgeport Station when I heard a big plane coming in, with whose engine noise I was unfamiliar. I looked up and saw this big flying whale glide past:

http://i.imgur.com/FokP5LT.jpg?1
Source: Me

http://i.imgur.com/NQh6mjN.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/anEWdtU.jpg?1

trofirhen
May 9, 2016, 10:35 PM
No worries, was diving into it myself and thought there would be some interest here.

The new Delhi destination will surely cut into TK demand a bit but with travel into Iran seeming to open up a bit more every year it could be a great transfer point into Tehran and other Iranian cities for the large and wealthy Persian diaspora here.

If things continue well that could be another carrier as well, as with the sanctions being lifted Iran air looks like they are major fleet expansion mode. An Iran Air direct to Tehran would sure be a cool route to nab!
Found this:
https://www.change.org/p/turkish-airlines-open-up-a-direct-flight-route-between-vancouver-and-istanbul

whatnext
May 9, 2016, 10:49 PM
I was there last night. The outlets is a pretty great place for plane spotting.

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb382/eastvan1/YVR/IMG_20160508_36265_zpscfuehjzf.jpg (http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/eastvan1/media/YVR/IMG_20160508_36265_zpscfuehjzf.jpg.html)

Are thos cars stopped on the Arthur Laing Bridge to watch?

nname
May 9, 2016, 11:11 PM
I have a feeling that, if we get IST, we may end up losing DEL...

trofirhen
May 9, 2016, 11:22 PM
I have a feeling that, if we get IST, we may end up losing DEL...
Others have said that, and it might be true .... but .... DELHI is way closer over the Pacific than by an extension of a Middle Eastern airline, which crosses the opposite longitude * at Dubai.
Anything going (hypothetically of course) YVR - DBX would goe pretty much straight over the N Pole.
DEL is far to the west of the Gulf region, and it's a whole lot cheaper to transfer through China (as everyone well knows) than to go the long way round; "doubling back" adding distance and fuel$$$

From as near as Doha, just to the west, the flight arc, tilts over the Atlantic (nearing the N Ple as well, of course) and Muscat, Oman, it tilts Pacific-ward.
IST considerably westward of our longitudinal opposite, DBX !!! Istanbul might be good for the ME region (the Iranian diaspora, people from the Caucasus, even into the Persian Gulf itself), East Africa, Seychelles .... but it is true distance overkill to go onward to DELHI.
And there is a large O&D (check Leftcoaster's research) into Turkey, so much so that this is really worth looking at. I see no threat to Delhi here: that's a Pacific route, Istanbul is Atlantic.

https://www.change.org/p/turkish-airlines-open-up-a-direct-flight-route-between-vancouver-and-istanbul

vanlaw
May 9, 2016, 11:35 PM
Are thos cars stopped on the Arthur Laing Bridge to watch?

It was definitely odd timing. Yes a car stopped and then another two right before the plane came over the bridge, then someone got out of the first car so I thought it was maybe a fender bender or something. I have a video of it and just watched it again. The second and third cars pulled around and left and the guy stood there while the plane passed overhead, so it actually looks like he got out to watch the plane. Idiot.

Johnny Aussie
May 9, 2016, 11:58 PM
Nice to see other cities' perspectives when it comes to new routes.

Here is SJC airport's "Celebrating" the launch of AC's new SJC-YVR flight earlier today.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FsyLy6Z99hU

Johnny Aussie
May 10, 2016, 12:20 AM
Don't forget about the domestic ramp up. 8 widebodies a day in the summer!

It's more than that! Just 8 to YYZ don't forget about YUL. So 10 daily domestic. That's up from about 7 last summer. And of course EWR daily 787-8.

EWR is now showing daily year-round 787-8. However with BNE switching to a 787-9 I'm thinking this may change as this plane is rotating through BNE-YVR-EWR-YVR-BNE through the summer. A 788 on EWR might be a bit of overkill for the winter.

Hourglass
May 10, 2016, 2:38 AM
It was definitely odd timing. Yes a car stopped and then another two right before the plane came over the bridge, then someone got out of the first car so I thought it was maybe a fender bender or something. I have a video of it and just watched it again. The second and third cars pulled around and left and the guy stood there while the plane passed overhead, so it actually looks like he got out to watch the plane. Idiot.

That reminds me of the time I was exiting off the M4 motorway to London Heathrow. It was right when the last ever British Airways Concorde flight from JFK was coming in on final approach. I think almost everyone pulled over, jumped out of their cars and ran up to the top of the banks on either side of the road to get a better view.

But at least they pulled over to the side of the road...

casper
May 10, 2016, 11:05 AM
It's more than that! Just 8 to YYZ don't forget about YUL. So 10 daily domestic. That's up from about 7 last summer. And of course EWR daily 787-8.

EWR is now showing daily year-round 787-8. However with BNE switching to a 787-9 I'm thinking this may change as this plane is rotating through BNE-YVR-EWR-YVR-BNE through the summer. A 788 on EWR might be a bit of overkill for the winter.

As Air Canada builds up the number of flights to Asia and Australia I think we will see more domestic and US widebody service. If a return flight from Vancouver to an Asia destination does not fit nicely into a 24 hour block they either having the aircraft sitting in the airport for an extended period of time or try to fit in a round trip to a nearby destination.

mezzanine
May 10, 2016, 2:31 PM
Not sure if this was posted. IIRC, the new calgary intl terminal will open in the fall. Will we see WJ transpacific flights? If so, from YVR or YYC?

http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/asia+pacific+report+westjet+hints+international+plans+including+flights+asia/11750237/story.html

As Alberta’s economy weakens, Calgary’s loss has been Vancouver’s gain. WestJet has started moving capacity away from Calgary to airports in Vancouver and Toronto, and YVR gained direct flights to Hamilton and London, Ont. this summer partially due to that shift.

But Saretsky said it is still up in the air whether Calgary or Vancouver (or both) makes sense as a jumping-off point for an eventual entry into the Asian market, specifically China. Calgary has been eager to expand its reach into Asia — it currently only has an Air Canada service to Tokyo (Narita), but a Hainan Airlines route to Beijing, with a code-share agreement with WestJet, is starting in June.

“It’s a function of supply and demand,” Saretsky said of the eventual decision between Vancouver or Calgary. “So we obviously look at where the demand is coming from. Vancouver benefits from having such a big Asian community to begin with, and the (visitors, families and relatives) segment from Vancouver is quite a bit larger just because the community is quite a bit larger than Calgary’s.”

But he also added that the airline has to consider the inbound demand from China, of the middle-class traveller in “secondary cities” seeking new tourism experiences. In that sense, Calgary, with its proximity to the Rockies, may be underserved.

“There’s a very rapidly growing middle-class in China, and they — like tourists all over the world — are looking for new experiences,” Saretsky said. “Because the cities they come from — a small city in China is eight million people — the opportunity to come to Alberta to experience the great outdoors, the Rockies, and to see the magnificent nature we have in Canada will be a big attraction, I think.”

LeftCoaster
May 10, 2016, 6:19 PM
I think WJ would be crazy to launch from YYC.

Eventually WJ asia flights from YYC could make a lot of sense but you want to launch from a place of strength, not take a gamble on a potentially unserved market.

Build up some brand recognition out of YVR then boost go from YYC. Makes the most sense to me.

nname
May 10, 2016, 6:58 PM
There are much more cities that can be reached by direct 767 from YVR than from YYC. For instance, a direct Shanghai flight would likely require weight restriction from YYC whereas YVR could take the full load.

SFUVancouver
May 10, 2016, 9:24 PM
^ I frequently forget that the 767 was once a mainstay of the transoceanic long-haul market before the B777 and A330 offered better operating choices.

I agree that WestJet would be far better positioned to get traction on their entry into the Asian market by flying out of Vancouver and offering effectively a JetStar-like quasi-low cost long haul carrier option. In that vein, I can see WestJet just leap-frogging any future hand-me-down aircraft and going straight to 788 or even 789 as their long-haul aircraft of choice and operate a simple three type fleet: Bombardier Q400s for turboprop routes, B737s for single-aisle work, and B787s for long-haul routes. They'll have low margins on long-haul routes with the lack of first and true business class seats, but can pack in a decent number of economy and economy plus (and likely a smattering of business class seats up front) into a Dreamliner and ride the low operating costs all the way to some decent long-haul routes. Drop the 767s when it makes sense and just short term lease when seasonal demand warrants it.