PDA

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143

trofirhen
May 10, 2016, 10:10 PM
If Westjet is hiring Portuguese and Italian-speaking flight staff, this obviously means Europe, and that would mean summer seasonals, normally.
I wonder if any of that - summer seasonals to Europe _ would be out of YVR / YYC, or would it be out of YYZ?

Klazu
May 10, 2016, 11:51 PM
How are Westjet's intra-province flights getting started? I forget what brand name they gave those... Are they expanding there?

trofirhen
May 11, 2016, 12:16 AM
How are Westjet's intra-province flights getting started? I forget what brand name they gave those... Are they expanding there?
Do you mean Westjet Encore? My first reaction is: aaaaaaaaaask Johnny!;)

teriyaki
May 11, 2016, 4:03 AM
Made a quick video on the inaugural A380 flight to london heathrow. Got some shots of the in terminal celebration and the, well rather uneventful flights to LHR to put it nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&show_mt=1&video_id=B7fPulEU8io

stiffdeadman
May 11, 2016, 4:25 AM
received notification today that alaska airlines and japan airlines are entering into a full codeshare agreement with all the bells and whistles. currently japan airlines has no service to seattle, so vancouver is the closest access point for dedicated alaska fliers to get to tokyo. perhaps a little more feed from down south for the flight here.

teriyaki
May 11, 2016, 6:31 AM
received notification today that alaska airlines and japan airlines are entering into a full codeshare agreement with all the bells and whistles. currently japan airlines has no service to seattle, so vancouver is the closest access point for dedicated alaska fliers to get to tokyo. perhaps a little more feed from down south for the flight here.

Most of the application was geared towards existing JAL gateways such as LAX/SAN/HNL, however 2 YVR routes were covered and of course those were YVR-SEA and YVR-PDX. Be interesting to see how this all plays out. Alaska is definitely not afraid to shake things up in the ongoing battle with DL down in SEA.

Johnny Aussie
May 11, 2016, 7:50 AM
Do you mean Westjet Encore? My first reaction is: aaaaaaaaaask Johnny!;)

To be honest I don't have a clue. The expansion rate of YVR-YYJ surprised me so I'm guessing they are doing ok. Minimal cuts have been made so overall, Westjet is growing YVR faster this year than previous years that's a definite.

Gordon
May 11, 2016, 12:41 PM
I wonder why West jet doesn't codeshare with Alaska To Sea & PDX?

excel
May 11, 2016, 6:12 PM
I'll be flying AC YVR-LHR this weekend and then WS LGW-YVR on the way back. I'll give some feedback on both flights when I get back :)

SFUVancouver
May 11, 2016, 6:54 PM
I'll be flying AC YVR-LHR this weekend and then WS LGW-YVR on the way back. I'll give some feedback on both flights when I get back :)

Have a great trip!

Something to consider for your WS return flight, in-flight meals are not included. However you can purchase and reserve a meal of your choice ahead of time through West Jet's website. That beats taking your chances with the selection that's left when the cart gets to you in flight.

LeftCoaster
May 11, 2016, 11:19 PM
In flight meals are not included on a 9 hour flight? Wow that's cheap even for Westjet.

In other westjet news, looks like they are planning on finding new utilization for the aircraft they are shifting out of Alberta:
WestJet to launch new charter service to redeploy capacity from Alberta

Wednesday, May 4, 2016
By: Ian Bickis

CALGARY — With Alberta’s economic downturn continuing to be a drag on earnings, Calgary-based WestJet Airlines has announced that it will launch a new charter service in an effort to redeploy capacity to other markets.

Chief executive Gregg Saretsky told investors earlier this week that he’ll be making the official announcement shortly. While he didn’t reveal specific details, Saretsky did say the new service would be an opportunity to redeploy capacity from Alberta where the market continues to be soft.

“We’re very excited about it, it is a new line of business,” he said at the company’s annual meeting on Tuesday.

The news comes just a few days ahead of WestJet’s brand new direct flights to London, England onboard wide-bodied Boeing 767s. According to Saretsky, the aircraft will also open up the potential for other cities within the plane’s 12-hour flight radius.

“It brings geographies like South America and Asia and other points in Europe all in play. And so ultimately, those are all opportunities for WestJet,” he added.

More news: Top or bottom? ‘Magic Mike’, bunk beds come to Las Vegas
The talk of diversification comes as the company reported a 38% drop in profit due in large part to Alberta’s weak economy. WestJet earned $87.6 million or 71 cents per share on $1.03 billion in revenue in the first quarter, compared with a record net profit of $140.7 million or $1.09 per share on $1.08 billion in revenue in the first quarter last year.

Despite this, Saretsky said it was the second-best first quarter for the company, with lower fuel prices helping buffer from the downturn. He said it was too early to call a bottom as the oil and gas downturn and layoffs continue to create knock-on effect on things like restaurants and real estate.

“So to the extent that all those things create some drag on the economy, I think there’s still some more tough times ahead,” Saretsky said.

http://www.travelweek.ca/news/westjet-to-launch-new-charter-service-to-redeploy-capacity-from-alberta/

Sounds like a temporary move to see what happens in the coming months in Alberta.

excel
May 12, 2016, 12:43 AM
Have a great trip!

Something to consider for your WS return flight, in-flight meals are not included. However you can purchase and reserve a meal of your choice ahead of time through West Jet's website. That beats taking your chances with the selection that's left when the cart gets to you in flight.

Great thanks for the tip!

vango
May 12, 2016, 2:58 AM
I watched the BA A380 approach over the city this evening then checked flightradar24 where it landed on the north runway then took off again! It took a big loop to the south then landed again on the same runway. Actually happened? Maybe it had square tires:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/10/aviation/british-airways-square-tire-mystery/

LeftCoaster
May 12, 2016, 9:37 PM
It aborted it's landing at the last minute, not sure why.

A spotter got a great video of it:

lE_aVsPs4Sw

connect2source
May 12, 2016, 9:40 PM
Thread devoted to it on Airliners.net . Apparently a go-around is extremely rare for an A380, guess runway 8L, being less than 10,000 ft., doesn't give a lot of room for error.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/6693993/

LeftCoaster
May 12, 2016, 9:56 PM
A little info on Tianjin Airlines. From the article sounds like YVR is still in the works?

Tianjin Airlines confirms London as first long-haul destination

Tianjin Airlines was awarded licences by the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) last year to introduce flights between Tianjin and both London and Vancouver in conjunction with Chongqing as well as services to Moscow from both Chinese cities. It now appears that with its first two A330s currently under assembly that is making final preparations for its long-haul launch. The first is due for delivery next month.

Tianjin Airlines confirms London as first long-haul destination
Chinese carrier Tianjin Airlines will become the latest of the country’s airlines to launch long-haul flights when it takes delivery of at least three Airbus A330-200s from the European manufacturer in the coming months. These aircraft will be used to debut flights into Europe and North America with London expected to be the first destination to be served by the widebodied equipment.

The HNA Group subsidiary has been allocated up to 20 A330-200s to support growth from Tianjin as an alternative to the capacity constrained Beijing Capital International Airport. The city in northern coastal China and one of the five national central cities of China and in terms of urban population is the fourth largest in China, after Shanghai, Beijing, and Guangzhou. However, it is its location just 143km southeast of China’s capital with efficient high-speed rail access that adds to its appeal.

Hainan Airlines has already identified Tianjin’s Binhai International Airport as an option for routing flights from other points in mainland China to North America and has previously outlined plans to provide links to both New York and Vancouver via the facility. However, it appears it will be its sister carrier that will be the first to introduce regular long-haul flights from the expanding airport.

Tianjin Airlines was awarded licences by the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) last year to introduce flights between Tianjin and both London and Vancouver in conjunction with Chongqing as well as services to Moscow from both Chinese cities. It now appears that with its first two A330s currently under assembly that is making final preparations for its long-haul launch. The first is due for delivery next month.

As revealed by our Airline Route blog this week, Tianjin Airlines will introduce its twice weekly link between Tianjin and London, via Chongqing from June 25, 2016. The carrier will serve Gatwick Airport in the UK capital with departures on Wednesdays and Saturdays. It is also planning to introduce a four times weekly link to Vancouver from this summer routing Chongqing – Tianjin – Vancouver once it receives its second and third A330s. The flights to Moscow are also earmarked for launch from late June 2016 and will utilise Sheremetyevo Airport in the Russian capital.

Tianjin Airlines will become the fourth Chinese carrier flying to London, following Air China, China Southern Airlines and China Eastern Airlines. Fellow HNA Group carrier, Hainan Airlines has also operated a charter programme to Birmingham and will launch scheduled flights this summer, with the introduction of a scheduled Beijing-Manchester route from June 10, 2016.

The young carrier is little known outside of its home market and has just seven years of operation under its current brand. It was established in 2004 to bring together the regional activities of Hainan Airlines and the smaller China Xinhua Airlines, Chang An Airlines and Shanxi Airlines and received its operating certificate from CAAC in 2007. It initially launched as Grand China Express Air, at the time the largest regional carrier in China, but was rebranded as Tianjin Airlines in June 2009.
http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/breaking-news/254110/tianjin-airlines-confirms-london-as-first-long-haul-destination/?highlight=Vancouver

trofirhen
May 13, 2016, 8:02 PM
Vancouver to get Turkish consulate; maybe non-stop flights to Istanbul

Turkish Airlines wants to fly non-stop to Vancouver but air agreement is likely an obstacle

May 12, 2016, 5:29 p.m.
Transportation (https://www.biv.com/sections/transportation/)
By Glen Korstrom

Turkish Airlines told Business in Vancouver that it wants to fly non-stop to Vancouver
https://www.biv.com/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/14/af/14af5c39-05fd-4ee8-81b6-611d293ad772/turkish-airlines.jpg__0x400_q95_autocrop_crop-smart_subsampling-2_upscale.jpg

As Vancouver’s first Turkish consul general readies his consulate to launch later this year, he and others in the local Turkish community are urging Turkish Airlines to launch non-stop flights between Istanbul and Vancouver.
The Vancouver Turkish Canadian Society (VTCS) launched a petition (https://www.change.org/p/turkish-airlines-open-up-a-direct-flight-route-between-vancouver-and-istanbul), which has more than 1,500 signatures, on Change.org to demonstrate demand for the flights.
“We’re trying to have a better connection with Vancouver,” said Anil Bora Inan, who recently moved to Vancouver to be Turkey’s consul general for B.C., Alberta, Saskatchewan, Yukon and the Northwest Territories.
“There is a good relationship between both Toronto and Montreal with Turkey but we see that, toward the western area of Canada, we’re losing that [strong relationship].”
Part of Inan’s job, as he readies to open a consulate in the FortisBC building at 1111 West Hastings, is to help stimulate trade between the two countries. If successful, that will fuel more demand for air travel – particularly business travel, which is more lucrative for airlines than is economy seating.
Last year, according to BCStats, $98.6 million worth of B.C. products were exported to Turkey with the vast majority of that being coal and fuels made from coal. That makes Turkey the 21st top destination for B.C. exports.
There were no comparable numbers for the value of Turkish products that B.C. imports but Turkey exported nearly $1.3 billion worth of products to Canada in 2015.
The sticking point in getting non-stop Vancouver-to-Istanbul flights is likely the air agreement that Canada and Turkey signed in 2009.
Specific details of the agreement are confidential but it is the kind of agreement that enables limited access for airlines based in each of the two countries.
Turkish Airlines launched flights to Canada soon after the air agreement was signed and now flies six non-stop flights per week between Istanbul and Toronto. It also flies three non-stop flights per week between Istanbul and Montreal.
Air Canada flies non-stop flights year-round between Toronto and Istanbul on 787 Dreamliner aircraft. Summer service is daily and that drops to three times per week in the winter.
“While we’re continuing to evaluate the possibility of additional services, and there are no immediate plans to do so,” Air Canada spokeswoman Angela Mah told Business in Vancouver.
VTCS president Tolga Tosun told BIV that he believes that the Canadian-Turkish air agreement authorizes each national carrier the right to operate regular flights between the home country and two destinations in the other country.
That would seem to exclude non-stop Vancouver-Istanbul flights from consideration unless the Canadian and Turkish governments revise the air agreement to allow for liberalized access.
So far, Turkey sounds up for renegotiations.
“My [country’s] embassy in Ottawa, and the Turkish aviation authorities, are speaking with the Canadian government,” Inan told BIV.
Were the air agreement to be renegotiated, the Canadian government would likely seek input from Canadian carriers such as Air Canada and WestJet as well as from airport authorities and other stakeholders.
As for Turkish Airlines, which is a private company, its representatives would not say much.
“Turkish Airlines is certainly interested in coming to Vancouver,” said spokeswoman Valerie Stachurski.
“However, I am unable to comment on the circumstances surrounding timing or obstacles.”
The fear for many in Vancouver’s Turkish community is that if Canada does not pave the way for Turkish Airlines to fly non-stop to Vancouver, it could decide to fly non-stop to Seattle. That is particularly the case given that the airline has been rapidly expanding its number of flights to the U.S.
The Vancouver Airport Authority similarly had little to say.
“We are aware of the petition put forward by the Turkish community requesting service to YVR by Turkish Airlines,” spokeswoman Alana Lawrence told BIV.
“We definitely welcome it and hope that one day it becomes a reality.“
gkorstrom@biv.com

@GlenKorstrom (https://twitter.com/GlenKorstrom)

https://www.biv.com/article/2016/5/vancouver-get-turkish-consulate-maybe-non-stop-fli/

LeftCoaster
May 13, 2016, 9:14 PM
Saw that article this morning on my news feed. It certainly seems like wheels are in motion, let's just hope the national agreements can be amended to both sides satisfaction.

SFUVancouver
May 13, 2016, 11:14 PM
With strong economic growth in Metro Vancouver (re: BMO's determination that all of Canada's job growth occurred in Metro Vancouver and the Greater Toronto Area (http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/housing-jobs-toronto-vancouver-1.3577061)) I can see a strong argument for expanding the bilateral agreement with Turkey to include a 3rd Canadian city (Vancouver). Vancouver shouldn't come at the expense of Montreal, but it's an antiquated notion that Canada has two primary cities. Going forward, Ottawa should be negotiating for a minimum of three cities for such agreements.

trofirhen
May 14, 2016, 4:52 AM
Thanks to you both for the feedback and support on this

I think the two national economic generators, Toronto and Vancouver, should be shown directly to Justin. There is no more excuse for excluding YVR except that maybe changing planes at YYZ, with its high landing fees, helps pay for their huge airport.

LC, all that research you posted is colourful and will always be a reminder of this YVR - IST route, whether it goes through or not. (If we don't get it, Seattle does, by the way).

The 2209 bilateral Canada-Turkey allowed two routes in each country but SFU's link shows how much more important and plaisible YVR's destination request is.

This will be a real Test of Justin. It's ultimately his decision. So, is he as cool, equality-minded, fair, honest, realistic and nice about this, or will he be mean and protectionist?
Harper said no, ..... will Justin cave into to YYZ, the Big Mama.
Here, people yearned for YVR -Delhi for years, and we finally got it, if only seasonally. (I think it might get big on them faster than expected).

So please let IST be that new sought-after route.
SEA already has DBX. Imagine Seattle with IST as well. Vancouver would have the Big 4, and no more.*1
*1 The only potentially mitigating factor here could be: would there bee too much competition with EK, as SEA already has 2x daily to DBX.
(Even with connections, sometimes flying direct is sustainable if enough of the right factors converge, as well as pleasanter, with less transfer hassle).
Political issues aside, the Turkish community in the region has a strong wish for this, (as evidenced by their petition.)
Also Turkey is a country with an expanding economy hungry for investment / . Good reason to have a direct route.

sacrifice333
May 14, 2016, 4:04 PM
Going forward, when Canada signs 2-city bi-laterals, it would make a lot more sense to have 1 Eastern city and 1 Western city, i.e. Toronto OR Montreal AND Vancouver OR Calgary. Seems a little redundant to have Toronto AND Montreal, for example and no Western gateways.

trofirhen
May 14, 2016, 4:24 PM
Going forward, when Canada signs 2-city bi-laterals, it would make a lot more sense to have 1 Eastern city and 1 Western city, i.e. Toronto OR Montreal and Vancouver OR Calgary. Seems a little redundant to have Toronto AND Montreal, for example and no Western gateways.
The Toronto - Montreal duopoly is something engrained into the perceptions of many Canadian politicians and business leaders. Montreal was once the epicentre for Transatlantic travel,
and the two cities were cities for many decades before Vancouver evolved from being a raw-materials seaport economy. The people are back there; the votes are back there. And you gotta win Toronto if you're going to win an election.
The Montreal - Toronto dynamic has changed now, with Toronto very much at the centre of everything, including air traffic. Montreal's economy is self-sustaing, whereas Vancouver's is growing.
It's either just plain protectionist or just plain dumb if they won't award that third city. Meaning Vancouver, yes.

casper
May 14, 2016, 8:25 PM
The Toronto - Montreal duopoly is something engrained into the perceptions of many Canadian politicians and business leaders. Montreal was once the epicentre for Transatlantic travel,
and the two cities were cities for many decades before Vancouver evolved from being a raw-materials seaport economy. The people are back there; the votes are back there. And you gotta win Toronto if you're going to win an election.
The Montreal - Toronto dynamic has changed now, with Toronto very much at the centre of everything, including air traffic. Montreal's economy is self-sustaing, whereas Vancouver's is growing.
It's either just plain protectionist or just plain dumb if they won't award that third city. Meaning Vancouver, yes.

I think you be reading more into it than there is. It is likely that Canada offered two cities leaving it up to the airline to pick the two cities it would service.

All said, Turkish would be an excellent addition to YVR. Given it is an Air Canada partner it should make connections fairly easy.

Canadian74
May 14, 2016, 8:39 PM
Would rather hope for DXB on EK than Turkish to IST. EK has better connections to India and better service. Also more people would probably want to visit Dubai I imagine

teriyaki
May 14, 2016, 9:44 PM
Would rather hope for DXB on EK than Turkish to IST. EK has better connections to India and better service. Also more people would probably want to visit Dubai I imagine

Personally, I find TK much more interesting as a destination and as a connection point than EK with DXB.

jmt18325
May 14, 2016, 11:51 PM

Isn't Istanbul one of the world's top tourist destinations? And doesn't Vancouver now have a (seasonal) direct route to India's capital city?

Canadian74
May 15, 2016, 2:23 AM
Isn't Istanbul one of the world's top tourist destinations? And doesn't Vancouver now have a (seasonal) direct route to India's capital city?

only 3 weekly and seasonal. EK has 1 stop connections to much smaller cities in India and many other surrounding countries

But Turkish probably has a much more higher probability of actually starting YVR in the near future for various reasons.

ShawnShank
May 17, 2016, 3:37 AM
EVA taking 747-400 off YVR starting March 26th, 2017 (replaced by 777-300ER)

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/267031/eva-air-s17-vancouver-operation-changes/

Not surprising (especially considering the EVA air ads with the 77W displayed on the Canada Line), but good to know exact dates nonetheless

Waders
May 19, 2016, 5:05 AM
Video of Airbus A380 aborting landing at Vancouver International Airport goes viral (http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2016/05/airbus-a380-aborted-landing-vancouver-international-airport/)

What does the following sentence mean?
It appears the aircraft flared a little too early, which caused it to catch some ground effect.

Also how long is the runway at VYR? Is it a bit too short for A380?

casper
May 19, 2016, 5:24 AM
Video of Airbus A380 aborting landing at Vancouver International Airport goes viral (http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2016/05/airbus-a380-aborted-landing-vancouver-international-airport/)

I am not a pilot, but I have sat in the co-pilot seat seat a few times on private aircrafts (played with one of CAE little simulators once of twice). There are others that will give a better definition but this is mine....

Flare is when it tilts up to land on its back wheels. Wikipedia definition:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_flare

As for the runway It is 11,500 or 9,900 depending on runway. Those are good size runways for an airport at sea level. Sounds like the pilot was just slightly off and decided the safest things was a go around.

LeftCoaster
May 20, 2016, 9:58 PM
Bit of good and bad news, BA has rescheduled the A380 for Vancouver next summer but it starts a month later. Nice to see the beast returning but hopefully the later start is a sign of a scheduling issue not weakness in the route.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/267053/british-airways-s17-vancouver-service-changes-as-of-18may16/?highlight=Vancouver

casper
May 22, 2016, 4:25 AM
Interesting article from the CBC (reprinted by Yahoo).....
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/b-c-tourists-flocking-paris-222200122.html

Basic numbers quoted:

Visitors are up from several key markets:

- France up 51.6%
- Mexico up 45.2%
- U.S. up 20.1%
- Japan up 13.3%
- South Korea up 10.1%
- China up 7.8%
- Germany up 6.2%
- Australia up 4.7%
- India up 2.5%

Interesting the Paris and Mexico flights are obviously helping. Odd I would have expected the China number to be a bit higher.
- United Kingdom up 1.1%

Klazu
May 24, 2016, 3:47 AM
All kind of crazy flying these days. Well done, Lufthansa.

CBC: Unruly smoker forces Vancouver-bound Lufthansa flight to divert to Hamburg

A Vancouver-bound Lufthansa flight was forced to divert from Munich to Hamburg after a passenger's erratic behavior threatened safety, according to a fellow passenger.

Lufthansa officials confirmed that flight LH476 was diverted to Hamburg where the passenger was removed.

Hamburg police confirmed that a rescue crew, including a doctor, met the man and diagnosed him with a mental disorder. He was taken to a local psychiatric facility. There is no active police investigation into the incident.

"It was reported that there was a man in the back of the plane screaming and yelling and apparently tried to open the back door of the aircraft at 38,000 feet," said passenger Dan Iosch of Vancouver, who at the time was seated in first class.

"Apparently at the beginning of the flight he was being a little difficult, but they decided to take off, " said Iosch, who said he listened to the drama unfold over the in-flight announcements.

Air emergencies: Are airlines telling you what you need to know?

"I guess once we got in the air he got more and more agitated and he tried to light up a cigarette. He was yelling and screaming," said Iosch, who watched as the man was forcefully escorted from the Airbus A340-600 by paramedics and other officials.

The flight's arrival in Vancouver was delayed by three hours. Despite the delayed trip, Iosch praised the captain.

"The captain was amazing. He had everything in hand and he was calm, but he redirected the plane to Hamburg immediately and we were cleared in straight away," he said.

Iosch said he was returning from Switzerland where his friends won third place at the Volleyball World Championship, and didn't expect so much excitement on the way home.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/lufthansa-flight-passenger-munich-germany-hamburg-diverted-1.3595838

aberdeen5698
May 24, 2016, 4:47 AM
It appears the aircraft flared a little too early, which caused it to catch some ground effect.

The flare is the maneuver that a pilot does during landing in order to slow the aircraft and set it gently down onto the runway. By pulling the nose up it increases the drag of the aircraft, which slows it down. As the wing's angle of attack increases it will eventually stall and loose lift. So to land the aircraft the pilot descends until the aircraft is only a short distance above the runway, the flies horizontally above it while pulling nose higher and higher. The aircraft slows, stalls, and settles onto the runway, at which point the pilot deploys lift-killing devices on the wings and engages reverse thrust to assist in braking.

Ground effect occurs when the aircraft is close to the ground. When the air passing underneath the wing is compressed between the wing and the ground it gives more lift to the aircraft, which can delay the stall and cause the aircraft to travel a lot further down the runway before it actually lands. That's what appears to have happened in the video.

Well if it was too short then they wouldn't be trying to land there. The north runway is 9940 feet long, so I have to assume that it's long enough for the A380 at whatever landing weight it happened to be. But there's probably not a whole lot of extra distance available, so if those wheels aren't on the ground where they're supposed to be then a go-around is of course the smart thing to do.

trofirhen
May 24, 2016, 11:30 AM
Interesting article from the CBC (reprinted by Yahoo).....
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/b-c-tourists-flocking-paris-222200122.html

Basic numbers quoted:

Visitors are up from several key markets:

- France up 51.6%
- Mexico up 45.2%
- U.S. up 20.1%
- Japan up 13.3%
- South Korea up 10.1%
- China up 7.8%
- Germany up 6.2%
- Australia up 4.7%
- India up 2.5%

Interesting the Paris and Mexico flights are obviously helping. Odd I would have expected the China number to be a bit higher.
- United Kingdom up 1.1%
Personally, I'm thrilled that the French number increase tops the list at nearly 52%.
And it's not just the weaker CAD$ against the Euro, or the Germany figures would be much higher. It's the new YVR-CDG service (and the fact that
many French love to come here. Vancouver, having been on tourist TV shows for many years, is surprisingly well-known here in France).

LeftCoaster
May 30, 2016, 10:02 PM
Some route cuts to the US.

AA terminates PHX-YYC
UA terminates YEG-ORD/SFO and YUL-IAH (latter taken over by AC)
DL terminates JFK-YHZ as of October and reduces JFK-YQB from 2 to 1 daily.
RV delays start of seasonal YYZ-HNL to December 25 and cuts its down to 1x weekly compared to 2x weekly last year (clearly a sign the route is struggling)
PD reduces PIT-YTZ to 1 daily during the summer.

Some good news too. AA increasing LAX-YVR to double daily in January, UA increasing DEN-YVR to 3 daily in October. Overall, huge cuts, especially from UA during the last 2 years.

I hear UA is also cutting IAH-LOS, meaning no more Africa service on their behalf. So that's 2 oil routes being cut.

Some more good news coming from the Canada section. Big cuts to Canada from US carriers but YVR managed to avoid the cuts entirely and actually saw an increase in service (YVR-DEN going from 2x daily to 3x daily in the winter).

It's been pretty quiet on the new routes front of late, but I guess most airlines are completely locked in for 2016 and now just assessing the new/current routes and determining 2017 plans. Only one I still expect to hear something on is Tianjin, but who knows with an airline like that.

Johnny Aussie
May 30, 2016, 10:06 PM
Next week (well the next 10 days) is a busy time for YVR with a few route launches....

And it all kicks off on 1 June with the launch of nonstop BNE flights:

AC to BNE 1 June 788
AC to SAN 2 June rouge 319
AC to ORD 4 June E90
AC to DUB 10 June rouge 763

Johnny Aussie
May 31, 2016, 2:35 AM
Some more good news coming from the Canada section. Big cuts to Canada from US carriers but YVR managed to avoid the cuts entirely and actually saw an increase in service (YVR-DEN going from 2x daily to 3x daily in the winter).

It's been pretty quiet on the new routes front of late, but I guess most airlines are completely locked in for 2016 and now just assessing the new/current routes and determining 2017 plans. Only one I still expect to hear something on is Tianjin, but who knows with an airline like that.

Yeah it has been quiet... A lot of the previously announced flights are coming online in the next 2 weeks. Xiamen and Delhi the next big ones to come but DEL still way off. Also the KE 748 and second daily LHR on AC starting up soon...

There is of course the risk of too much too soon. I'm sure all the new services and upgauges (and we know there have been plenty) will be scrutinised and also the effect they will have on current routes. Hopefully YVR can absorb it all.

LeftCoaster
May 31, 2016, 9:32 PM
I feel as though they can. It's a huge amount of growth but the economic numbers coming out of BC and in particular Vancouver are just bonkers.

Over 76,000 new jobs over the past 12 months in Vancouver alone. That's a 6% YoY growth rate...

Combine that with the big spikes we are seeing in tourism and large amount of HNW immigration I think we will see strong absorption of new seats this year with more announced next year.

Johnny Aussie
May 31, 2016, 9:35 PM
Air China adding back more capacity to PEK.

CA997/998 (the additional flight) will now be operated with a 333 instead of a 332. CA's 333s have almost the same capacity as their 77Ws. This flight will also operate daily for longer this summer than last.

Then there is the addition of a third flight (CA631/632) on days 2,4,6 from 16 August to 6 September.

So with the upgauge of 997/998, double daily for longer and the addition of 631/632 capacity this summer will actually be higher than last summer now.

Also AC increasing capacity on YVR-PEK to the HD 400 seater.

LeftCoaster
May 31, 2016, 9:39 PM
Air China adding back more capacity to PEK.

CA997/998 (the additional flight) will now be operated with a 333 instead of a 332. CA's 333s have almost the same capacity as their 77Ws. This flight will also operate daily for longer this summer than last.

Then there is the addition of a third flight (CA631/632) on days 2,4,6 from 16 August to 6 September.

So with the upgauge of 997/998, double daily for longer and the addition of 631/632 capacity this summer will actually be higher than last summer now.

Also AC increasing capacity on YVR-PEK to the HD 400 seater.

A 3rd flight? so 17 per week?

If so that's nuts. Could be the first airline to go 3x daily to YVR.

Just looked up the 333 on Air China, definitely lower yield plane. no first and a ton of economy.

LeftCoaster
May 31, 2016, 9:46 PM
Wow ran the numbers on that "adding back more capacity"

If I understood you correctly looks like Air China went from 3,836 seats per week to 5,202 seats per week. That's the equivalent of adding a daily 787!

They sure added back some capacity!

Johnny Aussie
May 31, 2016, 11:37 PM
A 3rd flight? so 17 per week?

Just looked up the 333 on Air China, definitely lower yield plane. no first and a ton of economy.

Wow ran the numbers on that "adding back more capacity"

If I understood you correctly looks like Air China went from 3,836 seats per week to 5,202 seats per week. That's the equivalent of adding a daily 787!

They sure added back some capacity!

Yup a third flight so 17 weekly for about 3 weeks mid August to early September. This was the equivalent period last year when CA was double daily 77W.

And yes lower yielding plane but it does have a premium economy or economy plus type seating as well.

I have a feeling it must just be cycling issues for this period but the fact they have replaced the 332 with the 333 and then added the additional three weekly 332 flight must have meant they stripped too much away. Forward bookings must be really good.

Perhaps the increased capacity to the US on AC (codeshare with CA) (SEA, PDX, SJC, SAN, EWR, ORD... etc) is helping.

As for third daily I know you meant third daily by an international carrier on an overseas route... However, back in the day when Oasis existed, CX added a third daily to HKG. Didn't last long after Oasis folded.

nname
May 31, 2016, 11:44 PM
The two flights are pretty much full now.

R/t on AC in late Aug and early Sept is about $2500. R/t on CA for the same period is about $4000.

And don't forget AC/CA codeshare with each other on YVR-PEK flight. So pretty much already 3x daily in term of availability in the booking system.

LeftCoaster
Jun 1, 2016, 12:11 AM
This allows Beijing to leapfrog Hong Kong for busiest route (very temporarily as HK is much stronger through the year).

http://i.imgur.com/W1UdA2o.png

Pretty nuts amount of capacity going between YVR-PEK.

Just to put it into perspective at 5,200 seats per week Air China alone is moving twice as many people as the entirety of YEG's intl' widebody operations and would account for 1/3 of YYCs entire intl' widebody operation.

Alpine
Jun 1, 2016, 12:11 AM
I haven't heard much news on TK bilateral negotiations as of late. Is AC throwing a fit and asking the Trudeau government to prevent TK from getting a YVR-IST slot?

Considering how I feel about Erdoğan (I don't have a high opinion of him (http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.standaard.be%2Fcnt%2FDMF20130607_030)), I can't believe I'm rooting so hard for a flight to Istanbul. I'm a hypocrite. But at least let me tell you my reasoning. A nonstop flight from YVR to DXB, DOH or IST would make flying to Subsaharan Africa much cheaper. Right now the cheapest 1-stop fares to Addis Ababa (a YVRYYZ AC flight + ET503 YYZADD, or LH via FRA) is C$1700-1800. That's really the only reason why I want it. Like with DXB, most of the world's population lives within short flying time to IST, though I haven't seen any hard numbers about that as I have with DXB (1/3 of the world's population lives within 4 hours' flying time of DXB and over 2/3 lives within 8 hours' flying time, according to Dubai Airports; I assume DOH is similar since the two airports are only 380 km apart).

Leftcoaster, Johnny Aussie and other users who know a lot about the business of aviation, do you think there are strong business cases to be made for nonstop flights from Vancouver to the following destinations:

U.S. locations that YVR doesn't have yet (threshold of being at least 3-4x weekly and non-seasonal): Miami, Boston, Cincinnati, Atlanta, DC (either Dulles or BWI)

Southeast Asia: YVRSIN mostly, but there's also BKK, KUL and CGK to consider, and with the shifting geopolitical tides as of late, HAN or even RGN.

Latin America: Besides the recent 2x daily service to YVR-MEX (which thankfully will continue into 2017!), YVR has no flights to Latin America that aren't charter or "sun and sand" flights. Brazil is an economic power, while Colombia and Chile are fast-developing economies. Think of the possibilities: GRU, GIG, BOG, LIM, SCL, EZE...maybe even CCS one day, if Maduro can be stopped and Venezuela gets on the right track with economic development.

The way I see it, if AC can make nonstop YVRDEL work, who knows what else can happen? And, such a flight will have to fly over the 'Stans to avoid not only the highest peaks of the Himalayas, but also Kashmir (whose airspace is closed). This will probably add another 400-500 km to the journey. I wouldn't be surprised if AC72/73 closes in on the 12,000 km (!) mark.

More musings about Latin America. To get to EZE or GRU from YVR, it's still markedly cheaper to connect through a U.S. airport (like IAH, LAX or MIA) than 1-stop flights through MEX (AM697 or AC996). This is unlike YVRDXB fares, a few years ago the cheapest fares were YVR-SEA-DXB, but now connecting through Europe or YYZ is about $100-300 cheaper than connecting through SEA.

Klazu
Jun 1, 2016, 4:25 AM
Damn, Xiamen Airlines is having having a sale for many South East Asia destinations in September. Bangkok for $718, Singapore $782, Kuala Lumpur $711, Taipei $707. Also China Eastern continues to discount seats to many destinations. Delhi for $755!

I guess it's a low-season for the area, but still. Seemingly the competition between YVR newcomers is also fierce. Now I just wish I would have some time off to snatch some of these deals. :(

zahav
Jun 1, 2016, 6:31 AM
Hmm this was posted yesterday online, Air China is cancelling it's planned 3-weekly flights Shanghai-San Jose, and was to be operated by A330 (it didn't say in the artical if it was -200 or -300). Probably where the extra capacity is coming from. Again, says a lot about the strength of our route that they cancelled a route even before launch and shifting even more capacity here.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/267210/air-china-cancels-planned-shanghai-san-jose-ca-june-2016-launch/

mezzanine
Jun 1, 2016, 7:35 PM
U.S. locations that YVR doesn't have yet (threshold of being at least 3-4x weekly and non-seasonal): Miami, Boston, Cincinnati, Atlanta, DC (either Dulles or BWI)

IMO YVR-ABQ might also capture a lot of asia-bound traffic. I hope YVR can corner AC's western USA catchment but I think AC already has a YYZ-ABQ flight

More musings about Latin America. To get to EZE or GRU from YVR, it's still markedly cheaper to connect through a U.S. airport (like IAH, LAX or MIA) than 1-stop flights through MEX (AM697 or AC996).

I think the niche is for travelers who want to avoid a transfer in the USA. (http://wikitravel.org/en/Avoiding_a_transit_of_the_United_States) From what I can google, you can transfer at MEX without a Mexican visa, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Mexico#Transit_without_a_visa) but the process may be more difficult in practice.

trofirhen
Jun 1, 2016, 8:23 PM
IMO YVR-ABQ might also capture a lot of asia-bound traffic. I hope YVR can corner AC's western USA catchment but I think AC already has a YYZ-ABQ flight .....................
Am I being overly wary of YYZ when it seems funny they have an ABQ flight and YVR does not? Also, YYZ has an MCI flight. Would not MCI also be a possible feeder to YVR? ... :2cents:

LeftCoaster
Jun 1, 2016, 8:54 PM
Damn, Xiamen Airlines is having having a sale for many South East Asia destinations in September. Bangkok for $718, Singapore $782, Kuala Lumpur $711, Taipei $707. Also China Eastern continues to discount seats to many destinations. Delhi for $755!

I guess it's a low-season for the area, but still. Seemingly the competition between YVR newcomers is also fierce. Now I just wish I would have some time off to snatch some of these deals. :(

I was looking at Delhi in November, to take advantage of the new direct, and it was $725 round trip on China Eastern! Good times too, 20 hours of travel time vs 14 on the direct.

Good news is it seems AC must be seeing quality demand for their direct to DEL as fares were nearly $1,700 return. :runaway:

Am I being overly wary of YYZ when it seems funny they have an ABQ flight and YVR does not? Also, YYZ has an MCI flight. Would not MCI also be a possible feeder to YVR? ... :2cents:

Air Canada does not fly to ABQ.

Also Kansas city is SIGNIFICANTLY closer to YYZ than YVR. IN fact YVR is twice as far from KC as Toronto is. No idea why you would think MCI would fall into a YVR catchment zone.

Bottom line is YYZ is closer to the entire United States just west of the rockies... and that's most of it. For instance Houston, considered the west, is 1,000km closer to YYZ than it is YVR.

mezzanine
Jun 1, 2016, 11:56 PM
my bad about ABQ-YYZ. that being said, IMO ABQ has a large gap in service among comparable US airports. I can see an AC ABQ-YVR potential, similar to SJC-YVR. aside from the tourism draw to new mexico, I can see tech workers in ABQ/Los Alamos wanting more access to intern'l destinations.

mezzanine
Jun 2, 2016, 1:22 AM
First Brisbane flight (http://www.eturbonews.com/71682/fastest-route-brisbane-new-york-vancouver) leaves YVR tonight!

The flights are timed to connect passengers to and from Air Canada's domestic and U.S. network, and will be the fastest route for travellers going from Brisbane to New York, supporting YVR's ambitions as a premier North American gateway.

excel
Jun 2, 2016, 4:14 AM
Wow did not know that. Should be a successful route then.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 2, 2016, 4:26 AM
And AC896 (the second daily to LHR) is taxiing to 08R For departure as I type this.

Edit: and airborne.

Twitter feed had quite a lot from YVR and AC about the launch of the second daily flight including (what looked like) a massive double-decker bus cake.

Edit: and the Brisbane gate now decked out in beach gear, a big surf wave cake and some other Aussie faves like lamingtons and pavlovas.

Edit: AC35 to BNE now airborne. Departed off 08L.

ShawnShank
Jun 2, 2016, 11:16 PM
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/267264/china-southern-w16-vancouver-operation-changes-as-of-02jun16/

China Southern brings back 788 (instead of 77W) between December 1st and March 26th

LeftCoaster
Jun 2, 2016, 11:51 PM
They also just shelved their planned YYZ-CAN route.

Not sure why they're scaling back so much.

SFUVancouver
Jun 3, 2016, 12:47 AM
With such a large fleet (600+), China Southern likely juggles its aircraft frequently, especially for planned routes and those that are highly seasonal. Per Wikipedia, China Southern only has nine 773ERs in its fleet, along with four high capacity (domestic) 772s that they're phasing out. They have 10 788s in their fleet, which have 81 fewer seats than their 773ER (228 vs 309). Otherwise, China Southern is a heavily Airbus fleet for its long haul operations. They have 16 A332s, 19 A333s, and 5 A380s.

[Edit] I don't trust the Wikipedia numbers at all. Planespotters.net have vastly different numbers: https://www.planespotters.net/airline/China-Southern-Airlines

Johnny Aussie
Jun 3, 2016, 12:54 AM
They also just shelved their planned YYZ-CAN route.

Not sure why they're scaling back so much.

The YVR "reduction" is just back to what they were flying last winter anyway so it's just a seasonal adjustment.

Klazu
Jun 3, 2016, 4:15 AM
With such a large fleet (600+), China Southern likely juggles its aircraft frequently, especially for planned routes and those that are highly seasonal.

They have 500+ planes in service which is a lot, but not quite 600. I had not realized they were that big of an airline.

teriyaki
Jun 3, 2016, 4:24 AM
They have 500+ planes in service which is a lot, but not quite 600. I had not realized they were that big of an airline.

The chinese aviation market is massive, and only going to get even bigger.

LeftCoaster
Jun 3, 2016, 4:24 PM
The YVR "reduction" is just back to what they were flying last winter anyway so it's just a seasonal adjustment.

But didn't they announce the 77W was on the route year round now?

This seems different than the usual replacement of summer metal with winter. In this case winter was planned to be 77W, so though it's not a downgrade compared to last year it seems to be a downgrade from what was expected this year.

Edit: Found it:
Guangzhou – Vancouver Boeing 777-300ER continues operation in winter 2016/17, replacing 787-8. The 777 will begin operation from 27MAR16
CZ329 CAN1400 – 0940YVR 77W D
CZ330 YVR1130 – 1720+1CAN 77W D
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/253261/china-southern-w16-international-operation-changes-as-of-10feb16/

SFUVancouver
Jun 3, 2016, 5:35 PM

I hadn't, either. The article from which I took the 600+ fleet quote is linked to below. I'm not familiar with them as a source, and the article is 18 months old, so take it with a grain of salt.

http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/china-southern-airlines-now-with-600-aircraft-has-a-weak-1h2014-and-faces-new-challenges-184932

trofirhen
Jun 3, 2016, 8:12 PM
I haven't heard much news on TK bilateral negotiations as of late. Is AC throwing a fit and asking the Trudeau government to prevent TK from getting a YVR-IST slot? ..........
They did it last time the Canada - Turkey bilateral came up for revision, so no doubt they'll do it again.
AC is no longer a Crown Corp, it's private. But the feds still give it - and YYZ - preferential treatment. The psychological umbilical cord has not broken.
Also, although new, fresh, young, and dynamic, it is likely that Justin will continue the tradition of Eastern Canada Protectionism.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 3, 2016, 9:31 PM
But didn't they announce the 77W was on the route year round now?

This seems different than the usual replacement of summer metal with winter. In this case winter was planned to be 77W, so though it's not a downgrade compared to last year it seems to be a downgrade from what was expected this year.

Edit: Found it:

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/253261/china-southern-w16-international-operation-changes-as-of-10feb16/

Did CZ announce anything or just update their scheduling?

Each airline uploads its schedules in diff ways. Sometimes they just extend current schedules for ease of planning only to adjust at a later date. AC, KE and UA, as examples, do this do this all the time. Sometimes just default to the last year's same period, or extend the current schedule until seasonal planning / yield management adjust as necessary.

As we all know YVR is highly seasonal anyway so any airline who puts on smaller aircraft or reduce frequencies over winter is never a surprise.

To put a positive twist on this, overall capacity on YVR-CAN will be higher this Autumn/winter as the 77W is scheduled to operate right up to 1 Dec and then it kicks in again next year the exact same day it started this year 27 March.

Skygazer
Jun 5, 2016, 5:09 PM
Which flights are using A-gate in the domestic terminal these days?

I've flown back and forth between Vancouver and Calgary/Saskatoon many times over the last 8 years and it was almost always in A-gate until one or two years ago, now all my flights seem to come out of C-gate.

trofirhen
Jun 5, 2016, 8:17 PM
Which flights are using A-gate in the domestic terminal these days?

I've flown back and forth between Vancouver and Calgary/Saskatoon many times over the last 8 years and it was almost always in A-gate until one or two years ago, now all my flights seem to come out of C-gate.
Do you fly mostly AC or WJ? Even from over here, what I understand is the pier C is the centre of AC operations, both domestic, sometimes overseas.
I was of the understanding that pier A (if that's what you mean) was adapted to serve WJ and WJ Encore. Correct me if I'm wrong.

zahav
Jun 6, 2016, 6:04 AM
C-Pier is entirely Air Canada domestic, some are swing gates between domestic and international (50-52) and 48&49 also can swing, but never do, Last year before the A-B Connector opened, they renumbered the gates again. A-gates are now exclusively WJ Encore ground loading positions (A8-12). The B-gates are all other gates on that side of the airport B12-28. CMA uses the gates B23-26 at the end of the B-pier (the only old unrenovated part of the entire airport, and some Westjet still use these old gates when there's no room on the new side of the B-pier, but only when space is an issue. I'm not sure if YVR plans on renoing/demoing the old part of the B gates, but it definitely is still a weird remnant of hold the airport used to be

Gordon
Jun 6, 2016, 12:24 PM
The first gates in the next phase of Pier A are expected to be open soon.

casper
Jun 7, 2016, 12:54 AM
C-Pier is entirely Air Canada domestic, some are swing gates between domestic and international (50-52) and 48&49 also can swing, but never do, Last year before the A-B Connector opened, they renumbered the gates again. A-gates are now exclusively WJ Encore ground loading positions (A8-12). The B-gates are all other gates on that side of the airport B12-28. CMA uses the gates B23-26 at the end of the B-pier (the only old unrenovated part of the entire airport, and some Westjet still use these old gates when there's no room on the new side of the B-pier, but only when space is an issue. I'm not sure if YVR plans on renoing/demoing the old part of the B gates, but it definitely is still a weird remnant of hold the airport used to be

Some of those B gates I think still have side ramps heading down to the ground floor I believe customer and immigration use to be down there in the old days.

I think Yukon air and some of the charter airlines also operate out of B when they offer domestic service.

I find some of the C gates odd. A few weeks ago I connected off a Dash-8 onto the A330 heading to Montreal. I remember it was directly across the hall C44 or 45. That waiting area is far to small an A330.

ShawnShank
Jun 7, 2016, 7:08 AM
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/267329/edelweiss-s17-preliminary-a340-operations/

Edelweiss operating an ex-Swiss A343 into YVR twice between May 11th and 20th of 2017

LeftCoaster
Jun 7, 2016, 6:05 PM
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/267329/edelweiss-s17-preliminary-a340-operations/

Edelweiss operating an ex-Swiss A343 into YVR twice between May 11th and 20th of 2017

Came here to post that. Looks like it is starting the A343 here before it transitions off to 2 per week on Calgary May 21.

Remains to be seen what the full summer rotation will look like. I just keep hoping they drop edelweiss and make the route mainline Swiss. Such better looking planes.

Currently we see 2x A330-300 and 1x A330-200 for a total of 903 seats per week. Of those 160 are economy plus and 76 are business.

If Swiss were to take over the route 3x per week with the mainline A330 it would be 708 seats per week with 135 business and 24 first.

The first might be the kicker here as it's pretty well a vacation route but with the ever increasing wealth in Vancouver direct connections to Zurich in first may be feasible.

LeftCoaster
Jun 7, 2016, 11:14 PM
YVR just released their April stats, coming back down to earth a bit:

Overall up 5.4% an increase of 82,041 over April 2015

Domestic up 4.3%
Transborder up 1.9%
Asia Pacific up 13.8%
Europe up 2.7%
Misc Int'l up 14.6%

Ttl Int'l up 11.2%

A little disappointing, but I don't think there were any new services starting in April so not a ton of room for growth. Transborder continues to struggle, hopefully the summer tourist season can perk it up a bit.

Hourglass
Jun 7, 2016, 11:57 PM

Domestic up 4.3%
Transborder up 1.9%
Asia Pacific up 13.8%
Europe up 2.7%
Misc Int'l up 14.6%

Ttl Int'l up 11.2%

A little disappointing, but I don't think there were any new services starting in April so not a ton of room for growth. Transborder continues to struggle, hopefully the summer tourist season can perk it up a bit.

Asia numbers should get a another boost in June with the launch of AC's BNE services. The launch of the new ORD and SJC flights will help transborder a bit.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 8, 2016, 12:01 AM

Domestic up 4.3%
Transborder up 1.9%
Asia Pacific up 13.8%
Europe up 2.7%
Misc Int'l up 14.6%

Ttl Int'l up 11.2%

Funny isn't it when we think a 5.4% increase is not that great!

However, looking at the other major airports that have released April figures... YUL only had 1.5% growth, YYC down 2.2%, YEG just plummeting...

Based on that, I'd say YVR is doing very well and managing to get positive transborder growth when the outbound market must really be hurting with the low CAD.

Also, you are right, very little new services in April added, but starting in May and through July plenty of new services coming online so will see how that pans out.

Hot Rod
Jun 8, 2016, 9:05 AM
http://www.traveldailymedia.com/newsletters/2016/TDA8Jun16.pdf

Yup, we very well could see YVR-BKK via 789 very soon. They're interested in closer markets than the mega markets of LAX and NYC; specifically mentioning Vancouver and Seattle as target(s).

While I suspect they might eventually add flights to both cities to fully server the Thailand-North American market, Vancouver needs to jump hard on this right away to ensure it is first and establishes itself as THE gateway; particularly since THAI is Star Alliance and YVR is a major Star Gateway Hub!

:D

Hourglass
Jun 8, 2016, 1:06 PM

Yup, we very well could see YVR-BKK via 789 very soon. They're interested in closer markets than the mega markets of LAX and NYC; specifically mentioning Vancouver and Seattle as target(s).

While I suspect they might eventually add flights to both cities to fully server the Thailand-North American market, Vancouver needs to jump hard on this right away to ensure it is first and establishes itself as THE gateway; particularly since THAI is Star Alliance and YVR is a major Star Gateway Hub!

That would be very cool. I still remember when Canadian Airlines flew to BKK as a tag-on from HKG...

mezzanine
Jun 8, 2016, 2:35 PM
Great news! I agree with YVR being a natural choice over SEA - not only is YVR a star hub with AC and UA feed, Thai nationals can transfer in canada without a visa (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/twov/travellers.asp), while thais cannot transfer in the USA without one. (https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/frequently-asked-questions-about-visa-waiver-program-vwp-and-electronic-system-travel) Canada's TWOV also is granted for Indonesians and Indonesian nationals may be drawn to a potential BKK-YVR route.

SEA is also congested with the alaska/delta war of attrition. A new terminal is being built but will only start construction in ~ 2017.

craneSpotter
Jun 8, 2016, 5:41 PM

Wow, that would be great. Turkish and Avianca too please ;)

LeftCoaster
Jun 8, 2016, 8:59 PM

Saw that today too. Thai will struggle on this route with yields, but if they do want to launch to North America YVR makes a lot of sense.

Its landing fees are reasonable
Transit without visa for many Asian countries.
Star Alliance hub feeds the route well
YVR is closer to BKK than any major airport in North America

If LAX is out, the only other option that makes any sense IMO is SFO, and YVR is a shorter transit point to any of the star alliance hubs in the west than SFO.

http://i.imgur.com/5ipcRXK.gif
http://i.imgur.com/iTLKrdD.png

Finally Thai has a ton of airlines operating and on order, with a few high profile routes just cancelled. They are going to need to deploy these aircraft somewhere and if North America is an untapped market in their eyes YVR stands a good chance of being that point of entry. Their dreamliners should fit this route well as they are economy heavy with no first and limited business class.

trofirhen
Jun 8, 2016, 10:36 PM

What I would like to know about THAI AIRWAYS, and others, regarding Vancouver and Seattle, is it a question of YVR or SEA, YVR and/or SEA or YVR and SEA.
Some Airlines, like LH, BA, JAL etc serve both. Others usually choose one or the other. Is it guaranteed that THAI wil choose YVR, or is it a toss-up with our rival?
It looks good, THAI being *A and all, but is that necessarily going to cinch the deal?

Johnny Aussie
Jun 10, 2016, 4:51 AM
Tomorrow is the inaugural rouge flight to baile átha Cliath!

Enjoy the festivities YVR and DUB.

mezzanine
Jun 10, 2016, 5:23 AM
Dublin? why not melbourne? ;)

Air Canada looks for Vancouver-Melbourne flight

Air Canada is setting its sights on adding a direct Vancouver-to- Melbourne route soon as the airline continues to expand its presence in the Australian market.

The Canadian flag-carrier last week started flying direct from Vancouver to Brisbane, making the Queensland capital its second Australian port after Sydney.

Air Canada’s vice-president of global sales, Duncan Bureau, said the decision to add the Brisbane leg to the airline’s trans-­Pacific destinations was made on the back of a positive outlook for travel demand to and from Australia.

“We’ve had a long history here in Australia and we’ve been very bullish on adding more capacity here,” he told The Australian.

“We really want the team here to deliver on Brisbane and get it to the point where we feel strongly enough that we could add another market. Obviously Melbourne is a market that we are keenly interested in and Melbourne Airport is keenly interested in working with us and would love to have us operate there.”

But before Air Canada can get to Melbourne, Mr Bureau said the airline would need to free up some of its aircraft that were committed to other routes or wait until new orders for planes were delivered.

The airline currently has $12 billion worth of new aircraft on order as part of a wide-ranging fleet refresh. That includes 35 confirmed Boeing 787 Dreamliners and 15 options that would take its Dreamliner fleet to more than 50.

The airline also has an order of 100 737 MAX aircraft. Delivery of those start next year to replace Air Canada’s Airbus 319 and 320s.

“For us it’s about aircraft availability and as we bring on more aircraft we have to find homes for those aircraft,” Mr Bureau said. “Melbourne is a very attractive market and if the team here can demonstrate that we can operate a year-round service with the 787-9 aircraft and that kind of ­capacity then we would be in a position to add another market. We are keenly interested in doing that.”

Air Canada’s three-times-a- week Brisbane service will initially be operated with Boeing 787-8s, fitted with 20 business class suites, 21 premium economy and 210 economy class seats. The Brisbane route will become daily from June 17 and in October it will start being flown by the larger, 298-seat Boeing 787-9.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/air-canada-looks-for-vancouvermelbourne-flight/news-story/014fdf61aee779d11f8137f8e4ba9c45

(Paywall, you can google the title to get to the article directly..)

Hourglass
Jun 10, 2016, 10:41 AM
Qantas, where are you??? AC is kicking your butt on Australia-Canada routes...

teriyaki
Jun 10, 2016, 4:34 PM
Qantas, where are you??? AC is kicking your butt on Australia-Canada routes...

Here we see a very clear case of the 787 really opening up routes that would otherwise not be possible to do profitably. Qantas doesn't expect to receive any of these jets until 2017 so Air Canada will likely be dominating this market for the short term

SFUVancouver
Jun 10, 2016, 6:32 PM
^ I don't have a source, but I recall hearing that Air Canada paid a modest premium for earlier delivery slots on its Dreamliner order, presumably to get the first mover advantage on new routes like BNE, to which their competition (Qantas) cannot respond without using a larger, more costly aircraft or surrendering the route entirely.

twoNeurons
Jun 10, 2016, 7:58 PM
^ I don't have a source, but I recall hearing that Air Canada paid a modest premium for earlier delivery slots on its Dreamliner order, presumably to get the first mover advantage on new routes like BNE, to which their competition (Qantas) cannot respond without using a larger, more costly aircraft or surrendering the route entirely.

And to think that way back when AC actually gave up some of its 787 options ( before it launched of course ).

The 787 is also one of the reasons ANA weathered high fuel prices so well. The Bigger is not the future of Aviation... A380. Has Airbus even broken even on their A380 yet?

trofirhen
Jun 10, 2016, 8:04 PM
Here we see a very clear case of the 787 really opening up routes that would otherwise not be possible to do profitably. Qantas doesn't expect to receive any of these jets until 2017 so Air Canada will likely be dominating this market for the short term
Other than Melbourne (and perhaps Auckland), do you imagine any other new Pacific or Oceania routes that would be workable with a 787? I guess that would about cover it, no?
Perth? Singapore? Those seem long shots, though perhaps possible.

Cage
Jun 10, 2016, 8:22 PM

The initial QF 789 order is primarily for replacement of selected 744s. Additionally, QF execs have contemplated where to put expansion 789s and YVR was not one of the North American locations to make the short list.

My prediction on the YVR-Australia route maintains, Ac will dominate the routes for quite some time.

Any premium paid by AC for early delivery slots has long been paid back in compensation for 787 delays and reduced performance for the 787.

AC was in the second wave of aircraft orders. The first wave of orders were launch customers, while they got a better initial price for the aircraft, I believe they also got less compensation due to the lower initial price. However as with everything to do with large aircraft orders, terms and prices are confidential and anything said aloud is conjecture.

Other than Melbourne (and perhaps Auckland), do you imagine any other new Pacific or Oceania routes that would be workable with a 787? I guess that would about cover it, no?

China alone covers the vast potential for new YVR routes from AC: Chongqing and/or Chengdu, Guanghou, Hangzhou (especially if the UA expirement works) Xian, Harbin, and of course Singapore as the best SE Asia destination.

nname
Jun 10, 2016, 8:45 PM

Jakarta
Guangzhou
Bangkok
Kuala Lumpur
Chengdu
Manila
Shenzhen
Taipei
Mumbai
Kuminng
Xi'an
Chongqing
Hangzhou
Jeju
Fukuoka
Sapporo
Xiamen
Changsha
Wuhan
Qingdao
Nanjing
Zhengzhou
Busan
Ho Chi Minh City
Tianjin
Harbin
Nagoya

Not like all of those make sense, but just to list some of the the large airport/metro areas that are not currently served by AC

Gordon
Jun 10, 2016, 9:05 PM
What UA Experiment?

nname
Jun 10, 2016, 9:32 PM
What UA Experiment?

Direct non-stop route from SFO to secondary Chinese cities like Xi'an, Hangzhou, and Chengdu

LeftCoaster
Jun 10, 2016, 11:11 PM
So StatsCan numbers came out today and showed further growth in Vancouver employment, in fact it showed downright stupid levels of growth.

Vancouver has added 79,900 jobs over the past 12 months. For those of you who don't track that, that's insane. That equates to a growth rate of 6.3% YoY... the kinda numbers China is now fudging to achieve.

So that got me thinking, most economists predict Vancouver will continue to lead Canada in growth for the next 5 years, even assuming a return in the price of WTI you guys are supposed to outgrow the Albertan cities. If in fact that is the case what could YVR look like in 5 years. So I took my old chart:

http://i.imgur.com/mS45wOz.png

And had some fun with it:

http://i.imgur.com/9kuh2Os.png

Now let me note before we get started that this is an assumption of what could be, given a huge set of circumstances go very well. So Trofirhen don't you go asking me when LATAM is starting to Sao Paolo ;)

Some interesting changes you may note:

Air New Zealand - Apparently they are miffed at LAX on their treatment related to their AKL-LAX-LHR so I figured, what if they shipped it up here instead (it's a shorter routing afterall) and JV'd with their star alliance partner Air Canada on it. AC drops their second frequency to LHR, freeing up the 789 for Frankfurt, and lets NZ run it.

Air Canada - Not too many changes here, a few upgauges, a couple obvious new routes (Taipei, Frankfurt and Melbourne), but no major growth to China. Perhaps this is a something I could add on but so far it seems the Chinese airlines have been much more aggressive than AC so I've given the new routes and capacity to them.

Air Canada Rouge - Air Canada has a lot of 767s coming to Rouge and I figured a few of them must be hitting YVR. These all seemed sensible routes to me both from a range and PAX standpoint. It's pretty euro heavy but the 763 doesn't hit too many cities in Asia, and frankly asia is usually premium strong from YVR so Rouge seems better deployed to Europe IMO.

Rest of Star Alliance - Star Alliance by far sees the bulk of the growth here. Air China goes full 3x daily on a 777, Swiss takes over from Edelweiss (don't really see it happening but wouldn't it be great?), Thai, Turkish, Singapore and Asiana all rumored growth coming to fruition. Avianca I almost took off but didn't I think we are going to see a turn around in the minerals sector over the next few years and that combined with Colombia's strong economic growth could make a 3x 788 viable. Copa to panama is a bit of a long shot but it's just a 737 and they ordered a ton of them so it's possible.

One World - Not much of a change here, JAL upgauged to a 789 and Qantas going daily (will be a 789 or A350 but there are no seat maps for those yet so I just left it on a 744). Can't think of any other changes YVR will see from One World.

Sky Team - All predictable changes here, Air France daily, a few more frequencies for MU, and the big change here being the addition of LATAM. Might be a dumb call given the painful growth in South America these days but LATAM has a bunch of new A350 and dreamliner metal and they need to send it somewhere. Ties in very well with MU, CA and CZs Asian connections.

No Alliance - A few big changes here, figure Transat will send another 333 our way at some point. picks off a few once a week destinations similar to what they just did at Rome. Hainan was the big change here with Shenzhen and Xian, but I think both those markets make sense and with the other big Chinese players already locked into their hubs the pickings are there for Hainan. Volaris to Guadalajara also makes sense, though it was a toss up between that or Monterey. Maybe both?

So that is how I see the world at YVR in an optimistic sense. One I took off at the last moment but wouldn't be surprised to see in 5 or so years (maybe a bit longer) would be Iran air. They want to grow their business and there is a large wealthy Persian diaspora here. Makes sense to me. Would probably kill Turkish's business though.

What do you guys think? Too much? Not enough? Miss anything obvious?

trofirhen
Jun 11, 2016, 12:29 AM
I LOVE IT !!!!!!! What else is there to say? Anyone agree?

Hourglass
Jun 11, 2016, 8:21 PM
Interesting article about Turkish Airlines and YVR:

http://vancouversun.com/business/local-business/battle-for-yvr-istanbul-flight-shows-ottawas-role-in-limiting-airline-connections

trofirhen
Jun 11, 2016, 9:14 PM

http://vancouversun.com/business/local-business/battle-for-yvr-istanbul-flight-shows-ottawas-role-in-limiting-airline-connections
Did anyone really expect anything else? That good ol' Eastern Canada / YYZ / AC protectionism is still there.

casper
Jun 12, 2016, 8:16 AM

The Vancouver Sun. I get more disappointed in their reporting day by day.

In the last paragraph their expert claims soon we should be seeing a Vancouver - Auckland flight established.

Only problem is we have had that route for a few years now.

Hourglass
Jun 12, 2016, 10:41 AM
The Vancouver Sun. I get more disappointed in their reporting day by day.

In the last paragraph their expert claims soon we should be seeing a Vancouver - Auckland flight established.

Only problem is we have had that route for a few years now.

The writer might be mentioning Auckland in the context of an Air Canada route, but yeah, YVR-Auckland is doing quite well for Air New Zealand.

Hot Rod
Jun 13, 2016, 2:29 AM
Good to see the Turkish community stepping up and Turkish Airline's interest in going out with Vancouver. It's funny that Seattle is the backup, lol.

As to the earlier question regarding Thai, I believe they are interested in both cities; likely starting with Vancouver since it is closest and easiest to get going. If demand is as projected, they'd then add Seattle. That's just a guess based on what I read and what folks posted concerning the competitive advantages Vancouver has; many of the very obvious - over Seattle.

I think Seattle's new Terminal plan is to basically redu the South Satellite. Seattle doesn't have the land/space to really construct a true International Terminal (ala YVR or SFO) that could ever hope to really compete. This IMO is really just Delta wanting to expand/rehab the South Terminal and SEA's desire to expand/modernize the Customs/Immigration; however, the fact that Delta is even interested in playing ball on this DOES show a commitment from DL to making SEA a gateway (which honestly I'm actually surprised given the loads). SEA is definitely trying to be a player, though - the little engine that 'could'.

trofirhen
Jun 13, 2016, 6:49 AM
Good to see the Turkish community stepping up and Turkish Airline's interest in going out with Vancouver. It's funny that Seattle is the backup, lol.

As to the earlier question regarding Thai, I believe they are interested in both cities; likely starting with Vancouver since it is closest and easiest to get going. If demand is as projected, they'd then add Seattle. That's just a guess based on what I read and what folks posted concerning the competitive advantages Vancouver has; many of the very obvious - over Seattle.
...... however, the fact that Delta is even interested in playing ball on this DOES show a commitment from DL to making SEA a gateway (which honestly I'm actually surprised given the loads). SEA is definitely trying to be a player, though - the little engine that 'could'.
Hot Rod, I (and I'm sure all SSP Vancouver) love your support of Vancouver. I just don't get why you feel Vancouver has it all over Seattle, which has a much larger GDP$ than Vancouver (and,by extension, more business pax). Plus, Seattle is a larger metro by one million plus. I would have thought SEA would be first choice, not YVR. :)