PDA

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143

Johnny Aussie
Jul 5, 2016, 10:57 PM
Hmm sounds like good news for YVR, and gives them a few years breathing room to further bolster their gateway status.

I expect YVR to move soon on their next round of expansion as they have traditionally been quite on the ball with their capacity, and I would be surprised if they let themselves get in the position SEA is in.

Definitely expect an announcement soon.

LeftCoaster
Jul 6, 2016, 12:16 AM
Exciting!

Though it's not a new terminal the extended piers should make the airport feel a lot bigger, especially when looking at the intl' pier and a long row of widebodies.

Only concern is that it adds to the marathon distance when you get dumped off at the end of the international pier. Hopefully they use those express walkways they have here at Pearson.

Gordon
Jul 6, 2016, 12:36 AM
What is the timeline for the 2nd phase of the West Chevron?

When does YVR plan to start re-doing the original parts of Pier B?

How far along are the new Pier A gates?

trofirhen
Jul 6, 2016, 1:19 AM
All of this combined - the extended terminal wing, new jets, possibly THAI, TURKISH, maybe even another airline, more routes into the USA, maybe even to Bogotà .....
exciting stuff !!

Johnny Aussie
Jul 6, 2016, 11:15 AM
So one of the last hurdles for Xiamen to commence flights to YVR.

CTA has granted Xiamen their licence to operate into Canada.

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/204-a-2016

Genauso
Jul 6, 2016, 3:02 PM
Definitely expect an announcement soon.

The federal government did trial the idea of selling/privatizing the airports recently. I'm not sure if the purpose is for a one-time income boost, or to remove what is a layer of tax (they call it rent, but they never bought the land or invested any money. out west anyways).

All of this combined - the extended terminal wing, new jets, possibly THAI, TURKISH, maybe even another airline, more routes into the USA, maybe even to Bogotà .....
exciting stuff !!

I do not want to mislead anyone. I have no knowledge of upcoming announcements, I just like Colombians and Colombia. They recently announced a cease-fire agreement with FARC as a step towards making peace official, and the main hindrance of insecurity continues to fade which will bring so much potential to light. There's a bunch of smaller cities on the coast (Barranquilla/Cartagena/Cali/Medellin) to remind you of Vancouver the way Capetown, South Africa or Melbourne, Australia do.

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac11/genauso/yvr-flightmap_zps7iszyew4.jpg
(source: YVR pdf of airlines+routes)

With planes in service today, there seems to be a valley in the 6-10 hour range. Bogota is right in the middle of that flying time, too much for most 737s and not exclusive enough for 787s. I would not expect YVR-BOG soon

trofirhen
Jul 6, 2016, 4:31 PM
............With planes in service today, there seems to be a valley in the 6-10 hour range. Bogota is right in the middle of that flying time, too much for most 737s and not exclusive enough for 787s. I would not expect YVR-BOG soon
What about planes like the Airbus 330?

LeftCoaster
Jul 6, 2016, 8:25 PM
Not likely for an A330, given that AC has based their entire 330 fleet out of YUL.

I think BOG seems like a no-brainer for Air Canada's 767 fleet, especially with so many being freed up by the new dreamliners. A767 Rouge might make a lot of sense here, enough seats for the limited business class connections and a ton of VFR.

LeftCoaster
Jul 6, 2016, 8:30 PM
So one of the last hurdles for Xiamen to commence flights to YVR.

CTA has granted Xiamen their licence to operate into Canada.

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/204-a-2016

Given that they are starting in less than 3 weeks, it's about time!

Excited to see these planes, love the livery. Hope it goes daily ASAP.

Johnny Aussie
Jul 6, 2016, 9:54 PM
I do not want to mislead anyone. I have no knowledge of upcoming announcements, I just like Colombians and Colombia.

With planes in service today, there seems to be a valley in the 6-10 hour range. Bogota is right in the middle of that flying time, too much for most 737s and not exclusive enough for 787s. I would not expect YVR-BOG soon

I like that. But, again, let's not get carried away with South America connections. I agree there is some potential, but wind back to the numerous discussions and voila, maybe a handful of flights per week to a couple of destinations. I like Argentinians too, don't know about a flight to Buenos Aires though.. I think Lima and Santiago would be more likely.

And YVR isn't showing MAN, GLA or ZRH on their Europe map! Shameful!!

LeftCoaster
Jul 6, 2016, 11:56 PM
I like that. But, again, let's not get carried away with South America connections. I agree there is some potential, but wind back to the numerous discussions and voila, maybe a handful of flights per week to a couple of destinations. I like Argentinians too, don't know about a flight to Buenos Aires though.. I think Lima and Santiago would be more likely.

And YVR isn't showing MAN, GLA or ZRH on their Europe map! Shameful!!

Honestly just a handful is fine. Getting down there right now is so unreasonably painful anything helps.

The MEX flight is a great example of this. In march I flew YVR-SAL through Mexico city. The connection was incredibly easy and a <2 hour layover. Big change from some of my previous flights to central america which were through Houston or LAX and necessitated a US customs stop, some heinous layovers and homeland security losing some of my luggage.

BOG or PTY would go a long way to opening up South America to YVR. BOG is a little longer but I'm hoping when Copa gets some of their 737 MAX planes YVR makes the cut, because it's within range.

Klazu
Jul 7, 2016, 12:01 AM
My guess is that Finnair already had a lot of routes to asia (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-05-24/finnair-s-growth-plans-ready-nordic-carrier-for-consolidation) as they are trying to make themselves the gateway from Europe. Why go trasatlantic and rely on 1 One world partner (american via LAX or DFW, if BA is not an option), when you can get a likely more readily available flight from either HKG or japan? and FWIW, JAL/CX>>>>>American Airlines (insert poo emoji here)

Yeah, I know their Asian strategy (which is a bit shaky) and likely that is the reason. I don't know how airlines price their flights internally inside an alliance, but one would think it is a more expensive exercise to have someone fly 20 hours through Tokyo instead of ~12 hours through North America.

Lots of One world options: BA flies into several Canadian cities including Calgary. They also fly into Seattle as well as California. BA and American code share on the connecting WestJet flight and Alaska airline flights. Cathay Pacific also has the red-eye flight from JFK to Vancouver that connects with a good number of flights from Europe. That all assumes there is available space. That could be the problem.

Yeah, that's what I would also thought and JFK, ORD or other east coast cities making more sense than rerouting through Asia, but that's what happened. Long way around, but she made it home. :)

One thing that was pretty cool was that at Tokyo-NRT there is a special "lounge" for people with long transfers. It's free of charge and doesn't require any frequent flyer membership.

What's even cooler is that from NRT they offer free city tours of Narita which she joined. It was a private tour with TWO tour guides, took few hours and cost nothing. Pretty sweet to have the option to make a mini visit to Japan upon transiting!

Why doesn't YVR do anything similar? Canada Line would make visiting Vancouver so easy and I am sure the likes of McArthurGlenn would also like it. I guess the visa requirements make it difficult for many transit passangers that most require one, but perhaps something that YVR should still consider. :)

LeftCoaster
Jul 7, 2016, 1:28 AM
Speaking of the MEX flight, noticed this today:

Mexican visitors eye Vancouver when visa lifted

Vancouver is set to reap a windfall of tourism dollars once the visa requirement for Mexican visitors is officially removed in December — reuniting many families in the process.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau delivered on his promise last week to lift the visa for Mexico, setting the stage for a large influx in Mexican travellers.

“We lost a big percentage of tourism in the province … I’ve heard of a lot of people complain of the significant decline on Mexican tourists,” said Manuel Otero with the Mexican Business Association.

Rocco Trigueros, founder of the Mexicans Living in Vancouver support group, said members of his group have already messaged him with their new holiday plans.

“They have tears of joy … for some of them it’s been over seven years since the last time they saw their families,” he said. “Mexicans are generous tourists — they like to travel and visit, eat at nice restaurants and that pours a lot of money for Vancouver.”

In a statement, president and CEO of the Vancouver Airport Authority Craig Richmond said that once the “cumbersome” regulations are removed, they anticipate the number of visitors from Mexico will jump.

Sebastien Dubois with Tourism Vancouver said projections for Mexican travellers in 2016 are 106,000, and that’s with the visa requirement.

“Definitely the visa being lifted will remove a significant barrier for travel between Mexico and Vancouver,” said Dubois.

Last year, Mexican airline Aeromexico launched a daily, non-stop flight between Vancouver and Mexico City. According to Otero, “it’s very possible” a second flight will be added next year.

“Mexican tourism towards Canada is strong and is going to get stronger,” Trigueros said....

Full story at: http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2016/07/05/mexican-visitors-eye-vancouver-when-visa-lifted

Caliplanner1
Jul 7, 2016, 2:53 AM

Sincerely hope that Mexico is able to control its volatile international drug cartels who could ruin this opportunity for the freer movement of law abiding Mexicans to and from Canada.

Johnny Aussie
Jul 8, 2016, 1:06 AM

I really think we will see:

1) More capacity to MEX on AC - perhaps an upgauge or more flights
2) More capacity to MEX on AM - perhaps more flights as hinted in that article
3) More capacity to MEX on another Mexican carrier
4) New routes to other Mexican cities - in particular GDL and MTY

LeftCoaster
Jul 8, 2016, 10:38 PM
That would be great, would love to see some more Mexican tail(s)

Posted this in the YYC airport thread based on a discussion they were having. Hopefully will keep some of you quiet about the level of air service we get here, specifically in relation to Pearson.

Funny you guys are talking about this, I put together a per-capita look at summer widebodies using tosins population estimates and the charts I compile and have posted here and in the Canada section. It's done on a weekly flight per population basis, so the lower number is better.

YYZ: 1 widebody per 12,113 inhabitants
YUL: 1 widebody per 16,874 inhabitants
YVR: 1 widebody per 9,829 inhabitants
YYC: 1 widebody per 26,781 inhabitants

So on a percapita basis YVR sees the most international widebodies per person, next is YYZ, then YUL and YYC is a distant fourth.

Johnny Aussie
Jul 8, 2016, 11:05 PM
That would be great, would love to see some more Mexican tail(s)

Posted this in the YYC airport thread based on a discussion they were having. Hopefully will keep some of you quiet about the level of air service we get here, specifically in relation to Pearson.

I think YVR also has a higher %/per capita of domestic widebodies.

At least 10 daily on AC to YYZ(8) and YUL(2).

More good economic news for Vancouver / BC

Relevance to airport talk? good economy = growth in pax numbers.

BC now has the lowest unemployment rate in the country.

Has this ever been the case??? I do not remember BC ever having the lowest unemployment rate in Canada.

And Vancouver down to 5.4% down from 5.7% in May. Definitely by far the lowest of the MAJOR (> 1,000,000) cities, but below Quebec City (4.1), Peterborough (4.5) and Victoria (5.3).

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/employment-growth-in-b-c-as-province-adds-16000-jobs-in-june

LeftCoaster
Jul 11, 2016, 8:57 PM
Nice pic of the Qatar A340 that visited YVR a few weeks ago. Would be nice to see 3x per week service (not much more though)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClZ4D2VUsAAk9oe.jpg
https://twitter.com/yvrairport/status/744914805488656384

trofirhen
Jul 11, 2016, 9:03 PM
Nice pic of the Qatar A340 that visited YVR a few weeks ago. Would be nice to see 3x per week service (not much more though)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClZ4D2VUsAAk9oe.jpg
https://twitter.com/yvrairport/status/744914805488656384
Would having QATAR be much different from having EMIRATES? I thought the M3 were "persona non grata" around here, what with (potentially) TURKISH waiting offstage.

LeftCoaster
Jul 11, 2016, 9:07 PM
A few flights per week is not likely to upset the market too much, it's when they ram an A380 or two a day in (as they often do) that the market gets shaken up.

trofirhen
Jul 11, 2016, 10:03 PM
http://www.tripsta.co.uk/image/flights-airlines--qatar_airways_boeing_787_j29v5r--620x300.jpg
http://www.tripsta.co.uk/image/flights-airlines--qatar_airways_boeing_787_j29v5r--620x300.jpg
... or would it siphon off too much traffic?
Also, QATAR is part of One World. Does this mean they adhere to "the rules" more than EK, which wants an "Open Sky World," to fly wherever they want, or is there no difference in policy?

LeftCoaster
Jul 11, 2016, 10:37 PM
I doubt Qatar being part of One World makes a difference, they still operate under a different set of subsidy circumstances than most airlines outside of the ME3.

If the ME3 were open to limited slots at Canadian airports I think their presence in YVR/YUL could work without being too disruptive but as far as I've heard they want much more than that or nothing.

trofirhen
Jul 11, 2016, 11:35 PM
I doubt Qatar being part of One World makes a difference, they still operate under a different set of subsidy circumstances than most airlines outside of the ME3.

If the ME3 were open to limited slots at Canadian airports I think their presence in YVR/YUL could work without being too disruptive but as far as I've heard they want much more than that or nothing.
Which is maybe why getting TURKISH is such a better option. Also TK has a catchment area much more conducive to Vancouver.
The ME3 are already at 180° Longitude around the world from YVR. Example: DBX is exactly 180°L east of Vancouver. Going further east than that from YVR is like backtracking.
Anything eastward therefrom is quicker over the Pacific. IST serves an area with a large dispora in Vancouver, and makes a lot more sense in every way, geographically and politically. (*A)

Klazu
Jul 12, 2016, 12:57 AM
Why did the Qatar plane land at YVR? Some kind of promotional event or they got re-routed from somewhere else?

nname
Jul 12, 2016, 1:39 AM
Why did the Qatar plane land at YVR? Some kind of promotional event or they got re-routed from somewhere else?

Private charter

Klazu
Jul 12, 2016, 1:45 AM
So another Arabian prince shopping around for few vacation homes. :rolleyes:

mezzanine
Jul 12, 2016, 5:22 AM
Yeef, I wonder if WestJet will keep up with the Gatwick flights in the future...

WestJet flights to London prompting a wave of complaints and compensation

...WestJet announced its service to London a little more than a year ago, its first overseas destination for the four wide-bodied Boeing 767 jets that it bought from Qantas. Those jets have an average age of 24 years, which is the core of the problem. They began to have mechanical problems.
"We're finding that when things break, because some of the parts are so old, we don't have them in store. And then we're doing a global search through the AOG desk to find them and then it's taking two or three days to get these things. We don't want to keep them in stock because they break once every 20 years."

To ease the situation, WestJet contracted an Omni Air jet to stand in when one of the Boeing 767s needs repairs.
Ian Procter was on one of those flights, an experience that he describes as a bait-and-switch, since he had made plans to use WestJet's in-flight entertainment system for the nine-hour flight from Calgary to London.

Instead the Omni Jet had no personal entertainment system and no WestJet Connect, which is the service that allows passengers to play content on their iPads. The screens were in the middle aisle, there were no power outlets and less leg room than expected.

"We were not even provided with the basic WestJet plane services and leg room,etc," said Procter in an email. "But yet they are allowed to unilaterally change the conditions of the flight we purchased, departure and arrival times, with no notice or compensation?"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/westjet-struggling-gatwick-flights-1.3670418

Johnny Aussie
Jul 12, 2016, 5:58 AM
Yeef, I wonder if WestJet will keep up with the Gatwick flights in the future...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/westjet-struggling-gatwick-flights-1.3670418

Yes, the stories of these delays have been making the rounds in aviation forums but really have escaped the press until recently.

Those old Qantas birds are really giving them grief. They were powerhorses mainly on MEL-SYD back and forth many times a day.

Johnny Aussie
Jul 12, 2016, 6:15 AM
Westjet to PSP

Westjet is moving forward the second daily flight to early November this winter. Last winter the second daily was added in January. Also, they are adding a third flight on Saturdays (new this winter).

Delta to LAS

During the CES (Consumer Electronics Show) DL is adding a daily E75 flight between YVR and LAS for one week (morning departures 2 - 8 January 2017).
During this week DL will have 5 planes RON in YVR and 11 departures per day.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/267853/delta-files-limited-time-new-las-vegas-routes-in-jan-2017/

China Airlines to TPE

Similar to last winter CI will increase YVR - TPE to 11 weekly between 24 Dec 16 and 23 Jan 17. All flights to be operated with 744s.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/267854/china-airlines-expands-westjet-codeshare-vancouver-increase-in-w16/

LeftCoaster
Jul 12, 2016, 5:41 PM

Qatari prince and he goes to UBC I believe.

They sent him a standard A340 though and not the royal plane. Must be the black sheep of the family... :rolleyes:

Westjet to PSP

Westjet is moving forward the second daily flight to early November this winter. Last winter the second daily was added in January. Also, they are adding a third flight on Saturdays (new this winter).

Delta to LAS

During the CES (Consumer Electronics Show) DL is adding a daily E75 flight between YVR and LAS for one week (morning departures 2 - 8 January 2017).
During this week DL will have 5 planes RON in YVR and 11 departures per day.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/267853/delta-files-limited-time-new-las-vegas-routes-in-jan-2017/

China Airlines to TPE

Similar to last winter CI will increase YVR - TPE to 11 weekly between 24 Dec 16 and 23 Jan 17. All flights to be operated with 744s.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/267854/china-airlines-expands-westjet-codeshare-vancouver-increase-in-w16/

Couple of nice little moves, good to see the CI flight boosted with a few more code shares too.

When are they going to fix the Taiwan bilateral, with Eva scheduling their last 744 flight there is going to be a capacity crunch soon. Even with their reconfigured 10 abreast 773s.

Also I noted on the depatrure and arrival times of the CI flights with a slight delay to the earlier flight there will be 2 CI 747s at the intl. terminal. Would be a solid sight.

nname
Jul 12, 2016, 6:54 PM
When are they going to fix the Taiwan bilateral, with Eva scheduling their last 744 flight there is going to be a capacity crunch soon. Even with their reconfigured 10 abreast 773s.

BR just extended the 744 operation for YVR into the summer. YVR would probably be their last 744 long-haul destination after SEA switch to all 773 after March.

LeftCoaster
Jul 12, 2016, 6:57 PM
Summer 2017?

According to AirlineRoute a week ago the last scheduled service of a 747 is actually out of YVR & Sea-Tac and is scheduled for end of March 2017.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/267803/07jul16-update-eva-air-w16-boeing-747-operations/?highlight=EVA

nname
Jul 12, 2016, 8:53 PM
Summer 2017?

According to AirlineRoute a week ago the last scheduled service of a 747 is actually out of YVR & Sea-Tac and is scheduled for end of March 2017.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/267803/07jul16-update-eva-air-w16-boeing-747-operations/?highlight=EVA

A few days ago they extend 747 ops into summer 2017 for Vancouver

Johnny Aussie
Jul 12, 2016, 9:24 PM
A few days ago they extend 747 ops into summer 2017 for Vancouver

Yes, five days ago airlineroute tweeted that EVA will extend YVR 744 ops into summer 2017.

This didn't show up on the airlineroute.net blog site though.

SFUVancouver
Jul 12, 2016, 9:32 PM
I'm heading down to Australia again for work and am excited to share word that I'll be on Air Canada's YVR-BNE route on one of their new 789 Dreamliners!

Klazu
Jul 13, 2016, 12:07 AM
Damn you and your constant travels, SFUVancouver!! :)

NewfBC
Jul 13, 2016, 1:57 AM
I'm heading down to Australia again for work and am excited to share word that I'll be on Air Canada's YVR-BNE route on one of their new 789 Dreamliners!

Hope you're in business class or premium economy.. otherwise it's pretty tight for such a long flight! :)

Ron.

trofirhen
Jul 13, 2016, 3:11 AM
Me, I'm off to New Zealand over Christmas for a much-needed break. The first leg of this connexion at Shanghai Pudong, will be Air France on an A388. Totally new for me!

casper
Jul 13, 2016, 5:02 AM
Qatari prince and he goes to UBC I believe.

They sent him a standard A340 though and not the royal plane. Must be the black sheep of the family... :rolleyes:

These millennials, just cant relate to the rest of the family... :shrug:

What is an up an coming prince to do on a regular passenger A340 for a 20 hour flight. No gold plated thrown and bed. He has to make do with the First Class cabin used by the commoners.

moosejaw
Jul 13, 2016, 12:52 PM
Me, I'm off to New Zealand over Christmas for a much-needed break. The first leg of this connexion at Shanghai Pudong, will be Air France on an A388. Totally new for me!

im off to new zealand in september
Unfortunately ill be flying air new zealand 767 out of LAX

trofirhen
Jul 13, 2016, 4:29 PM
deleted. see below.

trofirhen
Jul 13, 2016, 4:37 PM
Well, it's better than hordes of *cough cough* .... er, yes ......
These millennials, just cant relate to the rest of the family... :shrug:
What is an up an coming prince to do on a regular passenger A340 for a 20 hour flight. No gold plated thrown and bed. He has to make do with the First Class cabin used by the commoners.
The A340 has the bathrooms downstairs; a discreet and elegant touch, perhaps befitting a prince ...
im off to new zealand in september
Unfortunately ill be flying air new zealand 767 out of LAX
The 767 isn't such a bad plane, really. Only 2 abreast on the window side rows. Easier to get in and out when visiting the facilities.

SFUVancouver
Jul 13, 2016, 6:19 PM
Hope you're in business class or premium economy.. otherwise it's pretty tight for such a long flight! :)

Ron.

Nope. I'm in the back in steerage class. The front of the plane crowd need us ballast-in-the-back types to keep the flight smooth. Don't want their champagne to spill.

Kidding aside, yes, I know that it's going to be tight in the back with 17.3" seatwidth. That's not the worst I've had for a long-haul international flight and I don't think that it can be any worse than the high-density configuration Air Canada has switched to for its 777 service to Australia. Plus I have an aisle seat this time instead of a middle seat like last time to Sydney, which was a brutal flight.

I'm also hoping that the hype about improved cabin humidity and higher air pressure help take the edge off of jet lag.

I would love to travel premium economy or business, but margins are tight and we just don't have enough lead time on our trips to get a good price on anything other than economy.

LeftCoaster
Jul 13, 2016, 8:21 PM
Yes, five days ago airlineroute tweeted that EVA will extend YVR 744 ops into summer 2017.

This didn't show up on the airlineroute.net blog site though.

Hmm, looks like they missed the ball on this one. Thanks for the info then nname!

Also has anyone ever seen this pic before? Didn't know the Concorde paid YVR a visit back in the day:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CiSIEj1VAAAAHHT.jpg
https://twitter.com/yvrairport/status/730858659790512128

excel
Jul 13, 2016, 9:09 PM
Awesome picture. My dad had told me that it was in Vancouver a long time ago. Nice to see it for real.

moosejaw
Jul 13, 2016, 9:41 PM
Hmm, looks like they missed the ball on this one. Thanks for the info then nname!

Also has anyone ever seen this pic before? Didn't know the Concorde paid YVR a visit back in the day:

Its been in vancouver a few times
I remember as a kid it came for 1986 and my dad took me to Richmond to see it land. It was quite noisy

YVR was also part of a concorde round the world charter back in 1998 and 1999.

s211
Jul 13, 2016, 9:43 PM

Expo maybe? Something's reminding me of expo.

LeftCoaster
Jul 13, 2016, 9:44 PM
Probably the shitty grainy picture :haha:

Looks like 86' so could very well be. The theme of Expo was transportation wasn't it?

mezzanine
Jul 13, 2016, 10:51 PM

without googling:
- I think I can see the international terminal in the background, built in ? the mid nineties?
-the CP livery is not the old orange livery from expo, but not the Canada goose livery prior to their bankruptcy.

so... mid to late 1990s?

sweet MD11 BTW... :tup:

Hourglass
Jul 13, 2016, 11:56 PM
without googling:
- I think I can see the international terminal in the background, built in ? the mid nineties?
-the CP livery is not the old orange livery from expo, but not the Canada goose livery prior to their bankruptcy.

so... mid to late 1990s?

sweet MD11 BTW... :tup:

I'd say so. The livery of the Air Canada plane in the middle background was used between 1993-2004.

**edit: did a quick search online, and BA's concorde visited YVR in Sep 98 and Oct 99

trofirhen
Jul 14, 2016, 12:08 AM
without googling:

so... mid to late 1990s?

I loved that Canada Goose livery just before they went under. A loss of heritage, although I admit I think AC can and does offer a wider range of service,
and is finally starting to show YVR some real attention. Still ....

SFUVancouver
Jul 14, 2016, 12:33 AM
From childhood I clearly remember seeing Concord fly over Vancouver. My friend's dad shooed us out of the house so that we could watch it fly overhead. Man, was it ever LOUD!

If I were to guess on the year, it would say that it was somewhere in the 1987-1990 range.

hollywoodnorth
Jul 14, 2016, 12:41 AM
From childhood I clearly remember seeing Concord fly over Vancouver. My friend's dad shooed us out of the house so that we could watch it fly overhead. Man, was it ever LOUD!

If I were to guess on the year, it would say that it was somewhere in the 1987-1990 range.

I remember that fly over as well! :cheers::cheers:

Klazu
Jul 14, 2016, 12:57 AM
The photo is Expo '86 related.

KZFJ3eDbQB8

If anyone is interested, there is a British Aiways Concorde on display in the Museum of Flight in Seattle. There is another one in New York, which I have toured. It is quite an airplane and the details around having been onboard one are just facinating. :)

Klazu
Jul 14, 2016, 1:10 AM
Also an Antonov made a visit at end of June. This video is from last year. Would be nice to catch one day.

OLxz9L8SGHw

zahav
Jul 14, 2016, 5:13 PM
That photo is definitely not from Expo or early 1990s, it is after 1996 at least because those planes are parked at the international terminal, which didn't open until 1996. I'm surprised by lots of you for not being able to pick that up, given familiarity with the airport :) :)

trofirhen
Jul 14, 2016, 8:05 PM
Apparently, according to the Wikipedia page for YVR, Antonov planes, used by (presumably) Volga Dniepr, used to be a scheduled cargo carrier at YVR, and flew out of Kiev Borisplyl.
I guess thye've stopped, because they're not on the list of airlines here any more, but they were, under "freight," up until fairly recently (2 or 3 years) it seems.

LeftCoaster
Jul 18, 2016, 9:49 PM
Still no May numbers for YVR, we're nearing August... Is it just me or have they become much slower publishing numbers ever since the new website went up?

Anyway a little news, Alaska adding another mainline frequency to YVR from SEA. Looks like this one will be overnighting at YVR so should be plenty of chances to catch a peak at their pretty new livery if you have a late arrival.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/267963/alaska-airlines-vancouver-service-changes-from-aug-2016/

Johnny Aussie
Jul 18, 2016, 10:33 PM
Funny you mentioned May stats!

http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/documents/facts-sheets/traffic-update_may-2016.pdf?la=en

May total up 6.9% YTD up 7.5%

All categories had decent increases across the board so the growth is quite broad.
Misc int'l the standalone runaway though!

LeftCoaster
Jul 18, 2016, 10:56 PM
Haha it's almost like they forgot to post it then saw my complaint :haha:

Lots to digest but a little disappointed at the bottom line growth number, given the amount of new service I was hoping it would have been a bit higher. I haven't crunched the numbers but that doesn't indicate the greatest uptake of the new seats offered. Hopefully June numbers show big growth otherwise I might be a bit worried about absorption of all the new service.

Breaking it down Asia-Pac in particular is a surprise, would have expected much better growth there. Domestic was a surprise to the good, although with the economy in Vancouver humming along it shouldn't be too much of a shocker at this point. Europe continues to be surprisingly strong, although with all the Brexit and terrorism turmoil I wonder if the numbers will stay high. I suppose with the drop in the pound it could go either way as Brits will likely be less likely to visit but Canadians may try to take advantage of a cheaper trip to the UK.

YVR also seems to have updated their cargo numbers for June already too, though I hope it was a mistake as it's showing a 23% drop!
http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/documents/facts-sheets/yvr-cargo_may-2016.pdf?la=en

Johnny Aussie
Jul 19, 2016, 9:43 AM
Haha it's almost like they forgot to post it then saw my complaint :haha:

Lots to digest but a little disappointed at the bottom line growth number, given the amount of new service I was hoping it would have been a bit higher. I haven't crunched the numbers but that doesn't indicate the greatest uptake of the new seats offered. Hopefully June numbers show big growth otherwise I might be a bit worried about absorption of all the new service.

A lot of new capacity is coming online in June and July so I think the May result is quite good. I haven't crunched any numbers per se either but going back to one of my earlier posts in May, a lot of the new services / upgauges hadn't happened yet. And also, with all the new services YVR has garnered in the last couple of years, the base number for comparison is now higher. Adding 1,000 seats to a 10,000 base is a 10% increase but adding 1,000 seats to a 20,000 base is only 5%. So as YVR grows in capacity, the % increase may seem lower but that's because last year's figures would have been substantial already.

LeftCoaster
Jul 19, 2016, 5:41 PM
Yes the denominator has most certainly increased, but it looks like I was just overestimating the changes in May.

Outside of a few upguages May saw

Westjet to LGW 6xPW
Air Canada to San Jose two times daily
ANA upguage from 787-8 to 787-9

I thought May was also Dublin, AC dreamliner to LHR and ORD, so I was way off in my expectations. With that said the amount of new service starting in June is just nuts:

AC dreamliner upguage to EWR
AC Rouge 3xPW to Dublin
Air Canada to ORD daily
AC dreamliner to Brisbane daily
1 additional AC Rouge to Osaka
1 additional AC dreamliner to LHR daily
1 AC to San Diego daily
AT to Rome 1xPW
WJ to San Diego 3xPW

When you consider that plus all the changes that occurred in 2016 that were not present in June 2015, like the daily China Southern 777 that started back in March, June has the ability to show a very high level of YoY growth.

mezzanine
Jul 21, 2016, 1:19 AM
new post from craig richmond on the YVR blog. It looks like they have finalized an expansion plan for YVR, but will be released later. (in the fall?)

We’ve also been working hard on plans for our future terminal expansion and I’m glad to say that we now have a winning idea. While I can’t share the details yet, I can tell you that we are very excited about our future airport. Having welcomed a record 20.3 million passengers in 2015 and anticipating about 21.3 in 2016 we are on track for 25 million by 2025—and we have a new airport design to support this. So stay tuned for more details.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/blog/craigs-corner-our-101-busiest-days

LeftCoaster
Jul 21, 2016, 9:08 PM
Sounds to me like he's sandbagging the number a bit. If we maintain current growth trends of 2016 we are looking at 21.7 so to reduce to 21.3 would mean significantly slower growth than we've seen so far this year.

LeftCoaster
Jul 21, 2016, 9:28 PM
Ya just crunched the numbers...

If Craig Richmond is anticipating 21.3 million passengers in 2016 that implies 3.2% monthly growth rate going forward, given current growth through May. That seems unrealistically low and is less than half the growth rate we've seen through the start of the year before many of the new routes have come online.

I was expecting the year end numbers to be around 21.7 million.

Johnny Aussie
Jul 22, 2016, 12:37 AM
Ya just crunched the numbers...

If Craig Richmond is anticipating 21.3 million passengers in 2016 that implies 3.2% monthly growth rate going forward, given current growth through May. That seems unrealistically low and is less than half the growth rate we've seen through the start of the year before many of the new routes have come online.

I was expecting the year end numbers to be around 21.7 million.

Spot on. Based on current trends I would expect the same.

Maybe they are anticipating slower growth later in the year?

Based on future flight scheds right now (comparing to last autumn and winter for example) there doesn't appear to be that much new stuff coming online like last year but still growth is expected.

However, right now of course everything is pointing skywards. I cannot see the momentum slowing in the near term.

June, July, August, September should be strong.

Johnny Aussie
Jul 22, 2016, 9:51 PM
AC has just added a daily YVR-SAN flight effective 15 December through the end of April.

The flight will be operated by an Express CRA but will depart at 0855 instead of the rouge evening flight.

The scheds currently show Rouge will pick up the route again effective 29 May 2017.

The current rouge flight ends 16 Oct so a couple of months of no service by AC to SAN until the new flight kicks in.

So far for the upcoming winter, AC will have flights to ORD (daily), SJC (2 daily) and SAN (daily) that didn't exist this past winter. PSP and PHX will have frequency cuts but operated by 763s so overall those markets combined will have slightly more seats than last winter. PSP kicks off earlier as well in mid November. EWR is maintaining the daily 788 which was just a 319 last winter.

Hourglass
Jul 23, 2016, 1:30 AM
AC has just added a daily YVR-SAN flight effective 15 December through the end of April.

The flight will be operated by an Express CRA but will depart at 0855 instead of the rouge evening flight.

The scheds currently show Rouge will pick up the route again effective 29 May 2017.

The current rouge flight ends 16 Oct so a couple of months of no service by AC to SAN until the new flight kicks in.

So far for the upcoming winter, AC will have flights to ORD (daily), SJC (2 daily) and SAN (daily) that didn't exist this past winter. PSP and PHX will have frequency cuts but operated by 763s so overall those markets combined will have slightly more seats than last winter. PSP kicks off earlier as well in mid November. EWR is maintaining the daily 788 which was just a 319 last winter.

Seems a bit strange to have a 2-month gap in service in the winter and another 1-month gap in the spring. An aircraft availability issue? Or I suppose SAN is primarily leisure traffic and AC is seeing very low demand during those periods...

Johnny Aussie
Jul 23, 2016, 1:43 AM
Seems a bit strange to have a 2-month gap in service in the winter and another 1-month gap in the spring. An aircraft availability issue? Or I suppose SAN is primarily leisure traffic and AC is seeing very low demand during those periods...

I am guessing a/c availability. Considering this is a "new route" for AC Express the rouge aircraft being used for the route now is probably allocated in the autumn / early winter already.

As for next summer, I would expect that to change anyway. AC, like a lot carriers, just defaults to the previous year's schedule until the updates come through.

And yes, mid October to early December is very low demand to/from YVR in general.

Johnny Aussie
Jul 24, 2016, 12:48 AM
Well tomorrow is the first Xiamen flight from Xiamen... Departs XMN tomorrow to arrive in YVR at 1840 on Monday!

I think that's it for new services for awhile!

SFUVancouver
Jul 24, 2016, 6:41 AM
Just boarded my Air Canada flight to Brisbane. It's a 788 for this run. First impression: pretty nice, but nothing groundbreaking so far. Nice interior, essentially an updated 777. Thank goodness the legroom area under the seats is clear of obstruction!

http://i.imgur.com/a9bqBKC.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/1RKn9K9.jpg?1

Hourglass
Jul 24, 2016, 8:41 AM
^^ safe travels.

Interested to get your impressions on how full the flight was!

connect2source
Jul 24, 2016, 3:26 PM
... and some fireworks in the distance!!

Johnny Aussie
Jul 24, 2016, 6:14 PM
Westjet is beginning to shuffle some transborder capacity for the upcoming winter schedules.

YVR is gaining a third daily flight to LAX for the winter 2016/2017 schedule.

Adding a late evening departure outbound. Similar to the summer schedule.

Quite a few other transborder routes are being reduced but YVR has escaped any chops... For now at least!

Klazu
Jul 24, 2016, 7:55 PM
Vancouver International Airport as seen from Metrotown, Burnaby.

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/lentokentta_metrotownista_panoraama1.jpg

SFUVancouver
Jul 25, 2016, 1:23 AM
I'm in Brisbane. I'll resize the photos and add a couple more once I get on a computer.

Short thoughts & answers:

The flight was 100% full in economy. Every seat was occupied. Ours was a 788, so I can see why Air Canada is shuffling their 789s onto the route as fast as possible.

The "Dreamliner effect" is true: the flight was noticably more pleasant for the higher cabin humidity and lower altitude. It was also noticably quieter than a 77W or 772 in economy.

The LED mood lighting is nice and the centrally controlled window tinting makes for an almost blacked-out interior during sleeping times. Subtle but appreciated, and I can't describe how nice it was not to have people opening their window shade and blinding the cabin with daylight during a sleep cycle.

The placement on the seatrest of controls for flight attendent call, reading light (way, way too bright), volume is moronic and clearly chosen by someone/committee who have never taken a flight in economy. Totally ridiculous. The flight attendant calls were going non-stop for the first couple hours.

The seats were comfortable enough, if tight at the shoulders, but they're awfully thin and you can feel when the person behind you jams stuff in the seatback pocket.

Food was poorer than average.

Service was great, though.

Hourglass
Jul 25, 2016, 4:40 AM
^^
Thanks! I know loads are not necessarily an indication of profitability, but still good to hear the flight seems to be doing well. Hopefully YVR-MEL is on the cards in the not-too-distant future too...

Johnny Aussie
Jul 25, 2016, 7:07 AM
On top of the third daily LAX being added, PSP and HNL are showing additions as well.

LAS and SNA appear to be losing one frequency per week though.

Overall during the peak winter Westjet is scheduling 107 flights per week up from 99 last winter. A good solid 15 flights per day transborder.

Still early but these changes have just rolled in in the last week.

trofirhen
Jul 25, 2016, 9:20 AM
I'm in Brisbane. ......

The flight was 100% full in economy. Every seat was occupied. Ours was a 788, so I can see why Air Canada is shuffling their 789s onto the route as fast as possible.

.....Food was poorer than average.

Glad this is a popular run. Great to think that 789s are coming to this route.
As for food, Air Canada (as far as I know) has never won any kudos in the cuisine department. Cabin service on Air Canada has always been very good when I've taken it.

nname
Jul 25, 2016, 6:37 PM
Sichuan Airlines had applied for 2x weekly Chengdu-Zhengzhou-Vancouver starting October. Some of the frequency will come from reducing service on the Chengdu-Shenyang-Vancouver route. Maybe they would go for 2x weekly each?

Johnny Aussie
Jul 25, 2016, 7:09 PM
Westjet has issued a few press releases about the upcoming winter schedule.

YVR is a big winner with a plethora of new flights.

http://blog.westjet.com/winter-flight-schedule-2016-2017/?i_cid=wj:wj-lp:tile:routes:winter-schedule-frequency-blog-link

http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1152

Without crunching the numbers it looks like at least 7 additional flights per day.

YUL will continue nonstop year-round again.

In addition, more flights to YLW, YXS, YYZ, SJD and CUN. I had already mentioned LAX and HNL... PSP is seeing increases too but not mentioned.

LeftCoaster
Jul 25, 2016, 10:10 PM
Sichuan Airlines had applied for 2x weekly Chengdu-Zhengzhou-Vancouver starting October. Some of the frequency will come from reducing service on the Chengdu-Shenyang-Vancouver route. Maybe they would go for 2x weekly each?

Had or has? This is the first I've heard of it.

When you say 'some' of the frequency, I guess it's safe to assume

1X PW Chengdu-Shenyang-Vancouver
2X PW Chengdu-Zhengzhou-Vancouver

It makes a lot more sense for it to be 2X PW for both unless Shenyang is seeing a lot less demand than anticipated. As far as I can tell a Zhengzhou-Vancouver route would be their first non-asian service. Pretty interesting Vancouver would be their first destination over Sydney or something in Europe.

Westjet has issued a few press releases about the upcoming winter schedule.

YVR is a big winner with a plethora of new flights.

http://blog.westjet.com/winter-flight-schedule-2016-2017/?i_cid=wj:wj-lp:tile:routes:winter-schedule-frequency-blog-link

http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1152

Without crunching the numbers it looks like at least 7 additional flights per day.

YUL will continue nonstop year-round again.

In addition, more flights to YLW, YXS, YYZ, SJD and CUN. I had already mentioned LAX and HNL... PSP is seeing increases too but not mentioned.

That is a monstrous boost. I was hoping YVR would be the net beneficiary of the reduction in Alberta demand and it seems that is happening, with WJ shifting a ton of frames over to YVR.

Would be nice if they opened up a new destination, they fly to Liberia, Costa Rica from YYC so that could be a good destination for YVR.

nname
Jul 25, 2016, 10:49 PM
Had or has? This is the first I've heard of it.

When you say 'some' of the frequency, I guess it's safe to assume

1X PW Chengdu-Shenyang-Vancouver
2X PW Chengdu-Zhengzhou-Vancouver

It makes a lot more sense for it to be 2X PW for both unless Shenyang is seeing a lot less demand than anticipated. As far as I can tell a Zhengzhou-Vancouver route would be their first non-asian service. Pretty interesting Vancouver would be their first destination over Sydney or something in Europe.

The application was posted about 12hr ago.

I think Shenyang actually have more demand than Zhengzhou, so it wouldn't make sense to cut it down to just 1x weekly. But maybe the subsidy expired? Who knows... I also heard that eventually there will be Chengdu-Vancouver non-stop, so maybe they just want to attract more passengers from different cities.

I wonder if the cut have anything to do with the frequency cap between China and Canada that Johnny mentioned before. It seems to be holding back CZ's Toronto route too...

LeftCoaster
Jul 25, 2016, 10:57 PM
I think Shenyang actually have more demand than Zhengzhou, so it wouldn't make sense to cut it down to just 1x weekly. But maybe the subsidy expired? Who knows... I also heard that eventually there will be Chengdu-Vancouver non-stop, so maybe they just want to attract more passengers from different cities.

I wonder if the cut have anything to do with the frequency cap between China and Canada that Johnny mentioned before. It seems to be holding back CZ's Toronto route too...

Yeah my first thought was subsidy, would make sense then that Sichuan would chase a new subsidy in Zhengzhou with their current capacity and expand Shenyang later once the bilateral has been amended to add more flights.

Would be nice if they could get on that bilateral amendment...

nname
Jul 25, 2016, 11:08 PM
It seems to be Sichuan's strategy nowadays. Just like their Los Angeles route - instead of having non-stop or a single one-stop route, they choose to split it to Chengdu-Jinan-Los Angeles and Chengdu-Hangzhou-Los Angeles 2x weekly each, just to get more subsidy from different cities.

Johnny Aussie
Jul 26, 2016, 12:50 AM
About 40 minutes to go.

Currently just crossing the south tip of Calvert Island at FL390.

Edit: and just started its descent!

Edit: listening on live ATC will be landing 26R

Edit: final approach 26R

Edit: and touchdown!

I'm such a mega nerd.

Johnny Aussie
Jul 26, 2016, 8:23 AM
Per airlineroute.net on Twitter:

CAAC on 26JUL16 posted China Southern's application to extend Guangzhou - Vancouver to Mexico City eff Dec 2016, but website lists 3 "daily"

I sort of hinted this was coming a few weeks back.

I understand these are additional services (ie 10 weekly).

However, unsure if there will be local traffic rights on YVR-MEX. The info I received indicated YVR may only be a tech stop to MEX.

nname
Jul 26, 2016, 9:05 AM
CAAC's website said it will modify/reduce the CAN-YVR and CAN-YYZ terminator routes. It uses the China-Canada traffic right, so 10x weekly is probably unlikely...

My guess:
CAN-YYZ: 4x weekly -> 3x weekly
CAN-YVR: 7x weekly -> 5x weekly
CAN-YVR-MEX: 3x weekly

Marshal
Jul 26, 2016, 9:33 AM
About 40 minutes to go.

Currently just crossing the south tip of Calvert Island at FL390.

Edit: and just started its descent!

Edit: listening on live ATC will be landing 26R

Edit: final approach 26R

Edit: and touchdown!

I'm such a mega nerd.

Mega nerds make the whole planet go!

excel
Jul 26, 2016, 6:23 PM
Any pictures of Xiamen???

LeftCoaster
Jul 26, 2016, 7:05 PM
Per airlineroute.net on Twitter:

CAAC on 26JUL16 posted China Southern's application to extend Guangzhou - Vancouver to Mexico City eff Dec 2016, but website lists 3 "daily"

I sort of hinted this was coming a few weeks back.

I understand these are additional services (ie 10 weekly).

However, unsure if there will be local traffic rights on YVR-MEX. The info I received indicated YVR may only be a tech stop to MEX.

CAAC's website said it will modify/reduce the CAN-YVR and CAN-YYZ terminator routes. It uses the China-Canada traffic right, so 10x weekly is probably unlikely...

My guess:
CAN-YYZ: 4x weekly -> 3x weekly
CAN-YVR: 7x weekly -> 5x weekly
CAN-YVR-MEX: 3x weekly

This is huge news. Frequency restrictions aside it is the first big step to YVRs positioning as a gateway between Latin America and Asia. I'm sure the AC and Aeromexico flights are already seeing some boost but this is a big show by China Southern.

I would imagine any temp stepbacks of CAN-YVR would be shortlived and the route would go to 10+ when frequency caps are amended, especially if there are local traffic rights.

Now let's dream big for something in South America! :tup: I'm looking at you Air China...

LeftCoaster
Jul 26, 2016, 7:08 PM
Any pictures of Xiamen???

YVR's twitter has a bunch:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoQoTbTVYAE_UF1.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoQg2F0VMAAvm2X.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoQUKvSVYAA4LUT.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoQ9b-KUEAUzsb7.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoQS5ngUEAANNtd.jpg

https://twitter.com/yvrairport

nname
Jul 26, 2016, 11:15 PM
I would imagine any temp stepbacks of CAN-YVR would be shortlived and the route would go to 10+ when frequency caps are amended, especially if there are local traffic rights.

Or they can send some of their A380s over to cope with the reduced frequency :D

LeftCoaster
Jul 26, 2016, 11:54 PM
Haha wouldn't that be something.

In reality if this starts Dec it would help them keep the 777 on the route rather than reverting to the 787-8 like they plan on doing now.

I was looking at the great circle route and it's about as close as you can be to the same distance as a direct flight, a difference of 0.3%

CAN - MEX 8,771 mi

CAN - YVR 6,351 mi
YVR - MEX 2,449 mi
8,800 mi (+0.3%)

Johnny Aussie
Jul 27, 2016, 12:28 AM

In reality if this starts Dec it would help them keep the 777 on the route rather than reverting to the 787-8 like they plan on doing now.

The info I received tells me that YVR will see a mix of 788 daily and 77W 3 weekly.

Still to be confirmed but CZ somehow will be able to circumvent around the capacity/frequency cap to Canada with this route. Meaning the YVR stop on the CAN-YVR-MEX route will be tech only. So in other words no local traffic on CAN-YVR on the 77W. I guess if CZ wants in to MEX they have to stop somewhere and as Lefty pointed out YVR is ideally located on the way.

Now.... Canada and China are having discussions right now about increasing frequencies. So the above could change as fast as Melbourne's weather!

Oh and... it would be a massive coup for CZ if they could obtain local traffic rights on YVR-MEX and codeshare with AM as both Skyteam. And good timing with the visa restriction being lifted!

I'll let y'all know the outcome as soon as I hear anything.

Sounds like Hainan (and/or Tianjin) and Beijing Capital are a go though.

nname
Jul 27, 2016, 12:48 AM
The (old) bilateral info posted on CTA's website shows that China have 2 beyond rights. One is used for YUL-HAV... Maybe CZ is going for the second one if the capacity restriction is lifted?

The info on CAAC's website clearly state that they'll need to cut frequency on both YVR and YYZ routes (and they already did for YYZ, which will be launched 3x weekly instead of 4x). Is this changed already?

The same restriction was mentioned for the Sichuan's CTU-CGO-YVR application...

Johnny Aussie
Jul 27, 2016, 3:17 AM
The (old) bilateral info posted on CTA's website shows that China have 2 beyond rights. One is used for YUL-HAV... Maybe CZ is going for the second one if the capacity restriction is lifted?

The info on CAAC's website clearly state that they'll need to cut frequency on both YVR and YYZ routes (and they already did for YYZ, which will be launched 3x weekly instead of 4x). Is this changed already?

The same restriction was mentioned for the Sichuan's CTU-CGO-YVR application...

It is very possible CZ has re-applied for this instead of what I was told. Perhaps this is what they are going for now that the Mexican visa requirement has been lifted.

If CZ is to apply for fifth freedom traffic rights then, yes, the 7 flights per week would have to be the max. However, the original idea was to have three additional flights per week where YVR is just a pure tech stop.

The CAAC website must be referring to the "if" part. As we are all aware, the CAAC press releases can be semi inaccurate... Hence the "3 daily" versus the actual "3 weekly."

The actual outcome of this route and Canada-China bilateral in general will be known shortly along with the Tianjin, Hangzhou and Qingdao flights. So much going on! The CAAC must be overwhelmed with applications for routes all over the world.

trofirhen
Jul 27, 2016, 5:21 PM
It is very possible CZ has re-applied for this instead of what I was told. Perhaps this is what they are going for now that the Mexican visa requirement has been lifted.

So much going on! The CAAC must be overwhelmed with applications for routes all over the world.
Exciting times for :yes: YVR!!! Wheeew!

LeftCoaster
Jul 27, 2016, 10:00 PM
Will be interesting to see where this frequency/YVR-MEX passengers thing shakes out. I'm sure it will all clear itself out over the months.

Sounds like Hainan (and/or Tianjin) and Beijing Capital are a go though.

A go? As in falls into the existing frequency allotments and can proceed despite the perceived lack of spaces?

That would be great news. I still hope to see Tianjin fly the Tianjin route though and Hainan take an unserved city for itself (Xi'an or Shenzhen being obvious unserved choices).

Jebby
Jul 27, 2016, 10:37 PM

I was looking at the great circle route and it's about as close as you can be to the same distance as a direct flight, a difference of 0.3%

CAN - MEX 8,771 mi

CAN - YVR 6,351 mi
YVR - MEX 2,449 mi
8,800 mi (+0.3%)

Do Chinese carriers have Fifth Freedom rights to fly between Canada and Mexico?

I remember as a kid when there was the NRT-YVR-MEX route with Japan Airlines. It's what we'd take every time we'd come here to Mexico for holidays. I loved travelling on JAL's 747s. Their business class was really great. My grandma still has some of their down feather mini-pillows lol