PDA

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143

trofirhen
Jul 27, 2016, 10:58 PM
I heard some time back of a KE route ICN - YVR - Lima CHAVEZ.
Is there any basis to that, or was it just a passing rumour?

nname
Jul 27, 2016, 11:14 PM
The CAAC website must be referring to the "if" part. As we are all aware, the CAAC press releases can be semi inaccurate... Hence the "3 daily" versus the actual "3 weekly."

Now they fixed the post.

The part about the new route now says, translated word by word:

China Southern Airlines applied for the following route:
1. Guangzhou - Vancouver - Mexico City, starting from December 2016, 3x weekly using B77W/B787/A332 (using Canadian traffic right from Guangzhou-Vancouver and Guangzhou-Toronto routes, will modify or reduce the related routes at the same time)

Johnny Aussie
Jul 28, 2016, 12:19 AM
Will be interesting to see where this frequency/YVR-MEX passengers thing shakes out. I'm sure it will all clear itself out over the months.

A go? As in falls into the existing frequency allotments and can proceed despite the perceived lack of spaces?

That would be great news. I still hope to see Tianjin fly the Tianjin route though and Hainan take an unserved city for itself (Xi'an or Shenzhen being obvious unserved choices).

Do Chinese carriers have Fifth Freedom rights to fly between Canada and Mexico?

Now they fixed the post.

The part about the new route now says, translated word by word:

China Southern Airlines applied for the following route:
1. Guangzhou - Vancouver - Mexico City, starting from December 2016, 3x weekly using B77W/B787/A332 (using Canadian traffic right from Guangzhou-Vancouver and Guangzhou-Toronto routes, will modify or reduce the related routes at the same time)

The thing about the Canada-China bilateral is it's quite complex. It's not just a simple frequency cap. Their are exceptions in a rather round about way. That is how it has been communicated to me. I'm not privy to the details.

The term "modify" as per above may be the mysterious word at play.

As I said before there are two options. One where YVR is just a tech stop and one where YVR will have fifth freedom rights.

So to address all the above comments:

Yes, this should all clear out soon.
CZ (ie China, Canada and Mexico) would have to negotiate fifth freedom rights (probably in their best interests to tap into the growing YVR-Mexico market)
As for how the CZ MEX route falls out with frequencies will have to see how it's finalised. Again, will fall out soon.

SFUVancouver
Jul 28, 2016, 10:37 PM
I'm back!

I had a good flight home this morning on AC36 BNE-YVR route on another Air Canada Boeing 788 Dreamliner.

The flight was not 100% full this time and I won the transoceanic lottery: an empty row! I would guess that the flight was about 75% full in economy, a decent load-factor but not the stellar 100% like on the trip down on Saturday.

I had a window seat this time so I got to play around with the photo-chromatic glass that the Dreamliner has instead of window shades. Pretty neat. It takes about 30 seconds or so to fully transition from transparent to maybe a 60-75% reduction in light transmission. I wonder whether future versions will be 100% dark?

Here are some photos:

Extensive promotional signage throughout the BNE international terminal.
http://i.imgur.com/N79xoFf.jpg?1

What a good looking plane!
http://i.imgur.com/9AdT3LQ.jpg?1

Jackpot!
http://i.imgur.com/Xf1ZYJe.jpg?1

What a good looking wing!
http://i.imgur.com/z7KZOLS.jpg?1

Full visibility on the photo-chromatic windows.
http://i.imgur.com/w6VtRTP.jpg?1

Maximum 'dimming' on the photo-chromatic windows. I looks darker in person.
http://i.imgur.com/3Uy3hYC.jpg?1

I always try to get a window seat. Just spectacular.
http://i.imgur.com/XvoGgg6.jpg?1

Bonus shot of sun-rise making its way into the cabin from my flight down on Saturday.
http://i.imgur.com/8M4gyyp.jpg?1

Double bonus: beaches and sandbars on final approach to Brisbane on my Qantas B738 domestic connecting flight this morning.
http://i.imgur.com/BxUIDxh.jpg?1

LeftCoaster
Jul 28, 2016, 11:35 PM
Thanks for all the info Johnny.

Looking forward to this winter when the S17 schedules start coming out.

SFU, looks like a great trip, any idea how full J class was?

SFUVancouver
Jul 28, 2016, 11:59 PM
SFU, looks like a great trip, any idea how full J class was?

It was a good trip, though definitely whirlwind. 103 hours from beginning to end, 61 of which were on the ground at my destination and the rest spent in transit. Our portion of the meeting itself was 45 minutes, so we spent about an hour of travel for every minute we spent in front of the Client.

No idea how the J class load factor looked for the return trip. The aircraft entry is at the division between business and premium economy cabins, so I couldn't gauge how things looked in business. Premium economy was a ghost town; they were still asking for almost a grand to upgrade from steerage for the return flight and unfortunately my ticket class didn't qualify me to use my eUpgrade credits, to my chagrin. With that said, I loaded with zones 1 & 2 and the mini-departure lounge seating area for us was not very busy, nor was the line itself, so I don't think that the load factor in the front of the plane was stellar for the flight. It was a mid-week Thursday morning flight, so who knows how representative that is.

LeftCoaster
Jul 29, 2016, 12:13 AM
Wow and I think some of my YYZ-YVR same day trips are bad, yours is just crazy.

Hasn't your client heard of skype!?

SFUVancouver
Jul 29, 2016, 12:25 AM
Wow and I think some of my YYZ-YVR same day trips are bad, yours is just crazy.

Hasn't your client heard of skype!?

We use GoToMeeting all the time, regardless of whether the client is in the same city or the other side of the world, but this was a special board meeting (dual board meeting, actually) and our attendance was mandatory.

Same day YVR-YYZ-YVR would definitely be draining, too.

jlousa
Jul 29, 2016, 2:50 AM
Had a similar trip like that earlier this month. Decided Friday evening to head to Paris to watch the Euro finals. Booked a ticket, flew out Sat morning to Dallas then onto Paris, arrived early Sunday morning, made my way to the stadium, picked up tickets, watched game and my team win.:cheers: then a little celebrating, then train back to CDG and flew back on the first flight of the morning Monday via London. Customs were like you went to Paris on pleasure for 2 days? It was more like a few hours the rest of transit. To keep it ontopic American airlines absolutely sucked on the way there in comparison to British Air on the way back.

Klazu
Jul 29, 2016, 5:33 AM
Had a similar trip like that earlier this month. Decided Friday evening to head to Paris to watch the Euro finals.

Damn you, jet-setting millionaires. :)

urbancanadian
Jul 29, 2016, 5:59 AM
Oh man, I feel your pain... Whenever I fly to Hawaii for the weekend I almost don't feel like going unless it's a long weekend. It's just not a good plane to beach ratio. Like how am I supposed to relax when the sound of the waves on the beach just reminds me of plane noises? :P

trofirhen
Jul 29, 2016, 12:10 PM
Damn you, jet-setting millionaires. :)
Hee hee!! Look who's talking !! :D

sacrifice333
Jul 29, 2016, 6:28 PM
Oh man, I feel your pain... Whenever I fly to Hawaii for the weekend I almost don't feel like going unless it's a long weekend. It's just not a good plane to beach ratio. Like how am I supposed to relax when the sound of the waves on the beach just reminds me of plane noises? :P

A 3-night Hawaiian getaway is actually superb. :notacrook: Once the Oahu HRT is complete it'll be even easier!

Johnny Aussie
Jul 29, 2016, 8:21 PM
So been able to look at the total Westjet peak winter schedule from YVR and the final tally will be about 69 flights per day up from 62 daily last winter.

The only routes to see decreases are:

SNA down to 6 per week from 7
LAS down to 13 per week from 14
YXT down to 12 per week from 20 (resource sector effect)

The following routes will see increases in flying:

YYC, YEG, YLW, YUL, YYZ, YYJ
HNL, LAX, PSP
CUN, SJD

Increases in both mainline and Encore.

Most of this capacity appears to be coming from YEG where they are losing about 50 flights per week.

Also, YXS will see the return of mainline, albeit only on one weekly flight.
Nice to see YUL back year-round.
Good to see they are keeping the 5 weekly flights to YMM too.

trofirhen
Jul 29, 2016, 8:52 PM
So been able to look at the total Westjet winter schedule from YVR and the final tally will be about 68-69 flight gets per day up from 62 daily last winter. ...............

Hallelujah !! Great to see it served full time by both majors. It warrants it.:tup:

mezzanine
Aug 2, 2016, 11:46 AM
Is WJ leaving YVR-LGW seasonal and not year round? Even calgary is having 3 times per week winter service...

LeftCoaster
Aug 2, 2016, 8:50 PM
That is their plan as of today.

Their #1 hub is still YYC so they are naturally going to push as much through YYC as possible. I'm sure the route would do just as well if not better out of YVR but it suits their corporate goals much better to push PAX through YYC.

LeftCoaster
Aug 2, 2016, 9:08 PM
So been able to look at the total Westjet peak winter schedule from YVR and the final tally will be about 69 flights per day up from 62 daily last winter.

The only routes to see decreases are:

SNA down to 6 per week from 7
LAS down to 13 per week from 14
YXT down to 12 per week from 20 (resource sector effect)

The following routes will see increases in flying:

YYC, YEG, YLW, YUL, YYZ, YYJ
HNL, LAX, PSP
CUN, SJD

Increases in both mainline and Encore.

Most of this capacity appears to be coming from YEG where they are losing about 50 flights per week.

Also, YXS will see the return of mainline, albeit only on one weekly flight.
Good to see they are keeping the 5 weekly flights to YMM too.

I'm guessing some of the LAS decrease is also acknowledging AC putting the 763 and extra seats on the route.

Don't like to see YEG getting the beatdown they are currently going through, but glad some of the flights are going to YVR and not all out to YYZ.

YYC is more or less flat correct?

Hourglass
Aug 2, 2016, 10:43 PM
I'm guessing some of the LAS decrease is also acknowledging AC putting the 763 and extra seats on the route.

Don't like to see YEG getting the beatdown they are currently going through, but glad some of the flights are going to YVR and not all out to YYZ.

Slight decrease of 4-5 flights per day according to Johnny in the Calgary Airport section, so less than a 5% reduction.

excel
Aug 2, 2016, 11:22 PM
I just got back from YUL for the weekend and having the direct flight on WS was nice to have. If I didn't have flight benefits the price would have been ridiculous. The cheapest at the time was almost $1200 return. That's what I paid for a return trip to BKK through NRT all on JAL 787. Luckily it only cost me $69 return.:yes:

s211
Aug 2, 2016, 11:53 PM
Don't like to see YEG getting the beatdown they are currently going through

WestJet pins YEG down and Air Canada repeatedly boots YEG in the crotch, while YCC gets tortured with feathers.

trofirhen
Aug 3, 2016, 2:25 AM
WestJet pins YEG down and Air Canada repeatedly boots YEG in the crotch, while YCC gets tortured with feathers.
I wonder why that is? Is it simply because Winnipeg has slowly slipped from the fourth largest Canadian city down to the seventh (?). Metro well below 1 million.
Or is it because Winnipeg just isn't a major economic centre? Too bad. It has so much going for it culturally.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnipeg_arts_and_culture#Dance_companies

Valley_Refugee
Aug 3, 2016, 2:35 AM
I wonder why that is? Is it simply because Winnipeg has slowly slipped from the fourth largest Canadian city down to the seventh (?). Metro well below 1 million.
Or is it because Winnipeg just isn't a major economic centre? Too bad. It has so much going for it culturally.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnipeg_arts_and_culture#Dance_companies

YEG = Edmonton

trofirhen
Aug 3, 2016, 2:58 AM
YEG = Edmonton
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh pardon the gaffe!! Nevertheless, what ARE the reasons? Economic, surely.

Johnny Aussie
Aug 3, 2016, 4:48 AM
Their #1 hub is still YYC so they are naturally going to push as much through YYC as possible. I'm sure the route would do just as well if not better out of YVR but it suits their corporate goals much better to push PAX through YYC.

Slight decrease of 4-5 flights per day according to Johnny in the Calgary Airport section, so less than a 5% reduction.

Yes. Absolutely makes sense for them to fly LGW out of YYC year round with their large base there.

Note Air Transat has pulled their winter flights YYC-LGW but have increased YVR-LGW to twice weekly for the entire winter. TS is going after the larger O&D out of YVR whilst WS will have a better chance of filling their flights out of YYC with all the feed they have from Western Canada.

Westjet is actually increasing transborder flying from YVR this winter overall. LAS is being reduced from YVR, YYC and YEG. The loss of once per week to LAS from YVR is just a minor tweak so I don't think really has anything to do with rouge. SNA also being reduced by one flight per week. Last winter they had reduced SNA to 6 weekly later in the winter season but this year appears to be for the whole winter.

Westjet is continuing to show some decent gains at YVR. Just a sign of the economic times I suppose.

YEG's losses are just business decisions. Nothing to do with emotion. Both YYC and YEG will be down this winter. YYC losing about 5 flights a day overall. YEG losing about 7 flights per day. YEG is geographically disadvantaged compared to YYC so it makes sense to consolidate more ops at YYC during economic slowdowns. Even if the downturn in YYC is worse than YEG. Westjet is doing now what Air Canada started doing a few years ago by shifting capacity out of YEG. But the AC bashing there will continue regardless.

Johnny Aussie
Aug 3, 2016, 8:27 PM
Although the detailed breakdown isn't uploaded yet....

This blog entry certainly paints a very rosy picture for June 2016!

http://www.yvr.ca/en/blog/yvr-air-traffic-six-month-update

Growth Highlights Jan - Jun 2016

Overall 10.5 million pax up 8.1%
Domestic up 7.6%
Transborder up 3.8%
International up 13.7%

International breakdown:

Latin America up 20.0%
Asia Pacific up 12.9%
Europe up 12.9%

Since the YTD figures at June exceed the YTD figures at May in each category this means June growth would have exceeded by at least May's YTD % growth in each category too. In some cases quite a bit.

To hit 10.5 million YVR would have had to have exceeded 2 million passengers in June (or have come pretty damn close!)

LeftCoaster
Aug 3, 2016, 11:02 PM
Finally those crazy numbers I've been yearning for!

A little reverse engineering gives us the growth figures for the month:

Domestic: 991,269 (up 9.1%)
Transborder: 488,924 (up 7.2%)
Asia Pacific: 310,466 (up 13.4%)
Europe: 195,779 (up 19.1%)
Misc Intl: 33,967 (up 78.0%) <---- WTF?!?

Total Intl: 540,211 (up 18.2%)

Total PAX: 2,020,404 (up 10.9%)

These numbers are just nuts. Not much else to say about it.

Johnny Aussie
Aug 3, 2016, 11:23 PM

I was hoping somebody would do this!

On the Great Ocean Road and was just lying in bed listening to the waves crashing on the beach with my iphone when I saw the tweet from YVR.

This growth should carrry on for the next few months.

excel
Aug 4, 2016, 1:38 AM
These are very impressive numbers. Thanks for breaking them down.

Denscity
Aug 4, 2016, 5:40 PM
Someone should share these amazing numbers in the Canada Airport thread. I don't know how or I would do it myself.

zahav
Aug 5, 2016, 7:27 AM
I already did, no replies on it. I noticed on the Canada threads people do not like when there's positive news on BC or Vancouver. I post quite a bit on the Canada Economy and Stats Can threads, and no one ever comments when it's positive news from BC lol... I think there's definitely jealousy right now with the rest of Canada (highest GDP growth, highest employment growth, lowest unemplyment in the country, and of course.. YVR growing at over 8% YTD, more than double that of YYC, YEG, YUL)

Johnny Aussie
Aug 6, 2016, 6:09 AM
I already did, no replies on it. I noticed on the Canada threads people do not like when there's positive news on BC or Vancouver. I post quite a bit on the Canada Economy and Stats Can threads, and no one ever comments when it's positive news from BC lol... I think there's definitely jealousy right now with the rest of Canada (highest GDP growth, highest employment growth, lowest unemplyment in the country, and of course.. YVR growing at over 8% YTD, more than double that of YYC, YEG, YUL)

I wouldn't worry about all that. I just read some articles on the booming film industry as well. Last year was already a record and this year is miles ahead of last year. Studios having to turn productions away. All of these economic factors really help boost YVR's numbers.

I'm just impressed with YVR's growth in general. And the international growth is phenomenal. Definitely solidifying YVR as not just the second busiest in the country but for international as well. YYZ is clearly in a league of its own of course.
Also YVR domestic has exceeded YYC domestic now for two months. YYC domestic has been leading YVR for a few years now.
Still waiting for the actual numbers for June as the rounding to 10.5 million could mean a bit of a variance from what Lefty posted but will be pretty damn close.

christmas
Aug 6, 2016, 5:59 PM
Vancouver International Airport planning major terminal expansion after record growth

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-international-terminal-expansion

Canada’s second busiest and largest airport is poised to experience another consecutive record breaking year for the number of passengers that travel through the airport. Vancouver International Airport (YVR) clocked 10.5 million passengers during the first half of 2016 from January to 2016, representing an 8.5% increase over the same period last year.

This comprises of a 13.7% increase in international traffic, 7.6% increase in domestic traffic, and a 3.8% increase in transborder traffic to and from the United States.

By the end of the year, the airport projects that it will see 21.3 million passengers – one million more passengers than the previous year.

Most of the growth can be attributed to the decision by a number of airlines to introduce new frequent, non-stop services to the airport in 2015 and during the first two quarters of this year. This includes new major WestJet services to London and Hamilton in Ontario and London, UK as well as Air Canada’s new services to Brisbane, Chicago, Dublin, San Diego, and San Jose.

More services are to be added throughout the latter half of the year. Just last week, Xiamen Airlines launched a new three times weekly service to Xiamen, China, and Air Canada plans to start a three times weekly service to Delhi, India beginning on October 20.

Additionally, WestJet plans to boost its existing routes with more frequent flights, adding 47 new weekly flights to the airport beginning in October 2016 on routes to Kelowna, Prince George, Toronto, Honolulu, Cancun, Cabo San Lucas, and Los Angeles. The airline’s direct seasonal service to Montreal will also be extended to the winter months.

“I would like to thank Air Canada, WestJet and our airline partners, who have contributed to a fantastic period of growth for our airport and our region,” said Craig Richmond, President and CEO of the Vancouver Airport Authority, in a statement. “Thanks to the ongoing support of our airline partners and the hard work of our team, which includes local tourism bodies, we are achieving our vision—to make YVR a world-class connecting hub.”

Last year, YVR saw a record 20.3 million passengers, representing a 4.9% increase over 2014’s cumulative figure of 19.4 million. The airport has seen record-breaking growth since 2013 when it recorded 17.9 million passengers, and it has a stated goal of reaching 25 million passengers by 2020.

YVR is expected to release an ambitious terminal building expansion plan to accommodate the projected growth next year as the facilities currently have a capacity for 25 million passengers.

A $400 million expansion to add 10 gates to the international terminal and old domestic piers could be completed by the end of the decade if the project is approved this year.

During a Vancouver Board of Trade presentation last year, Vancouver Airport Authority President and CEO Craig Richmond provided a glimpse of the options being considered for the bulk of the expansion work after 2020. It would consist of at least 20 more gates either as a massive new terminal building east of the existing transborder terminal, an extension of the existing piers, or an in-field terminal that is accessible to passengers by tunnel or shuttle.

“The numbers show we are well on the way towards reaching our ambitious goal of 25 million passengers by 2020,” Richmond told Daily Hive today. “As we approach that important milestone we are assessing terminal expansion options and we’ll have more specific information on that in early 2017.”

New and improved major YVR routes 2015/2016

March 15, 2015: Manila, Philippines and New York City, U.S.A. – Philippine Airlines adds four weekly flights to its route from Manila to NYC, with a stop in Vancouver.

March 29, 2015: Paris, France – Air France begins three times weekly non-stop flight service, with five times weekly schedules during the summer months.

May 1, 2015: Osaka, Japan – Air Canada Rouge begins five times weekly service to Kansai International Airport.

June 26, 2015: Kungming, China – China Eastern Airlines begins three times weekly flight service via Shanghai.

December 9, 2015: Mexico City, Mexico – Aeromexico to begin daily non-stop flight service.

January 1, 2016: Orlando International Airport – WestJet to begin twice weekly non-stop seasonal flight service.

January 20, 2016: Orlando-Sanford International Airport – National Airlines to begin two times weekly seasonal flight service.

February 15, 2016: Cancun, Mexico – Air Canada to begin weekly, non-stop seasonal service.

May 1, 2016: London Heathrow Airport – British Airways to use an AirBus A380 superjumbo jet for its existing daily non-stop London Heathrow Airport service. The A380 will only be used during the summer months.

May 6, 2016: London Gatwick Airport – WestJet to begin six times weekly non-stop flight service.

May 9, 2016: Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport – Air Canada to begin twice daily, non-stop service to San Jose.

June 1, 2016: Brisbane, Australia – Air Canada to begin daily non-stop flight service.

June 2, 2016: San Diego International Airport – Air Canada to begin daily, non-stop seasonal service.

June 4, 2016: Chicago O’Hare International Airport – Air Canada to begin daily, non-stop service.

June 10, 2016: Dublin Airport – Air Canada to begin seasonal non-stop flight service.

June 29, 2016: London, Ontario – WestJet to begin four times weekly non-stop seasonal flight service.

June 29, 2016: Halifax, Nova Scotia – WestJet to begin four times weekly non-stop seasonal flight service.

June 30, 2016: Hamilton, Ontario – WestJet to begin three times weekly non-stop seasonal flight service.

July 25, 2016: Xiamen, China – Xiamen Airlines to begin three times weekly non-stop flight service.

October 20, 2016: Delhi, India – Air Canada to begin three times weekly non-stop flight service.

Gordon
Aug 6, 2016, 10:52 PM
If these numbers hols hold up in the 2nd half of the year, we should b over 21.5M pax. Pretty good for a vity wih a population of 2.5

Has anything been saaid about the stat for the start of construction of the 2nd phase o f the west chevron?

Any updates on the ongoing pier A expansion work?

trofirhen
Aug 7, 2016, 3:53 AM
If these numbers hols hold up in the 2nd half of the year, we should b over 21.5M pax. Pretty good for a vity wih a population of 2.5

Has anything been saaid about the stat for the start of construction of the 2nd phase o f the west chevron?

Any updates on the ongoing pier A expansion work?
Quite the growth, as you say. I'm wondering if there will ever be a separate Transborder Terminal, such as the East Chevron if the West Chevron is expanded for overseas.

casper
Aug 7, 2016, 9:18 AM
Just arrived yesterday on at the Air Canada from London (connecting to Victoria).

YVR needs to work on the connection process a bit. We were late so it become a tight connection. At the top of the stairs for arrivals they were holding in coming passangers. However they were handling out laminated "Quick Connect" cards to permit those making connections to queue jump after the airport agent checked that you had a connection. Only problem is it was just more a mass of people than anything else.

Once downstrairs the signage was not great directing you into the connecting passanger passport screening line. Airport employee checking my boarding pass to ensure that I do have a connection and collect the card.

The customs agent asks silly questions, stamped the customs card and ask for my connecting boarding pass to scan it to auto transfer the bags. (Not having to collect bag is a positive step).

At then end of the walkway another customs agent collects the custom card. Then directs me to an Air Canada agent standing just in front of the elevator who checks the connecting flight boarding pass, scans it and directs me onto the elevators heading up to "quick connect". Up the escalator, down the hall and guess what another airport agent who again scans my boarding pass and directly me into another queue, this time for security. Boarding pass gets scanned again. Only one x-ray lane operating and a pretty full line up.

After standing in the queue for 10-15 minutes, another agent comes along and says any one who is on a flight that is already boarding you should go down stairs to regular security because it will be faster. We get pulled out of this line, they put little YVR stickers on our boarding passes and we get send downstairs to the main security point Nexus line. Boarding pass gets scanned again, and into a priority lane that is no shorter that where we had been upstairs. The gate for the Victoria flight was changed, but all the display boards still point to the old gate.

I like YVR but the connection process needs to be improved. The process is more complex than YYZ and does not quit work well.

Similar experience about a month ago coming from Chicago and connecting onto Victoria. The only difference is after taking the elevator, down the quick connect walkway, that security point is closed off and the airport agent is simply scanning boarding passes and directing people back downstairs to regular security.

nname
Aug 8, 2016, 8:29 AM
Saw from a Chinese forum that a leaked internal document shows China Eastern is looking at Xian - Vancouver as one of the possible new routes for Winter/Spring 2017.

Johnny Aussie
Aug 8, 2016, 10:01 AM
Cargo Stats for 2015

Tonnes of cargo and % change from 2014:

1 YYZ 367,983 up 3.1%
2 YVR 238,096 up 9.6%
3 YHM 110,797 up 24.5%
4 YYC 83,154 down 2.8%
5 YUL 79,800 up 4.0%
6 YMX 70,185 up 9.4%
7 YWG 65,878 up 7.6%
8 YQM 28,986 up 36.3%
9 YEG 27,918 up 1.1%
10 YHZ 26,703 down 6.9%

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/51-203-x/2015000/t005-eng.htm

YVR holding its own at #2 with decent growth.
YHM and YQM had insane growth in 2015.

Johnny Aussie
Aug 8, 2016, 10:07 AM
Saw from a Chinese forum that a leaked internal document shows China Eastern is looking at Xian - Vancouver as one of the possible new routes for Winter/Spring 2017.

Skies the limit for YVR and new China routes!

LeftCoaster
Aug 9, 2016, 4:56 PM

Xi'an-Vancouver surprises me that no one is on the route yet. Would be neat to see China Eastern come to YVR triple daily (14 to PVG/KUN and 7 to XIY)

Anything for winter spring would need to be announced relatively soon I would imagine, and once again we're back to speculating on whether there is any capacity remaining to China.

LeftCoaster
Aug 9, 2016, 4:58 PM
Cargo Stats for 2015

Tonnes of cargo and % change from 2014:

1 YYZ 367,983 up 3.1%
2 YVR 238,096 up 9.6%
3 YHM 110,797 up 24.5%
4 YYC 83,154 down 2.8%
5 YUL 79,800 up 4.0%
6 YMX 70,185 up 9.4%
7 YWG 65,878 up 7.6%
8 YQM 28,986 up 36.3%
9 YEG 27,918 up 1.1%
10 YHZ 26,703 down 6.9%

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/51-203-x/2015000/t005-eng.htm

YVR holding its own at #2 with decent growth.
YHM and YQM had insane growth in 2015.

I'm guessing much of the YVR growth is in the belly of the planes, reflecting the growth in new services not new dedicated freighters?

YQM and in particular YHM are very impressive. Surprised at YEGs weak numbers. What happened to their inland port strategy or whatever it was they were calling it?

s211
Aug 9, 2016, 5:31 PM
YQM and in particular YHM are very impressive. Surprised at YEGs weak numbers. What happened to their inland port strategy or whatever it was they were calling it?

You forgot to put air quotes around "strategy". Frankly, the Port Alberta concept has been a big belly flop.

mezzanine
Aug 9, 2016, 7:54 PM
I'm guessing much of the YVR growth is in the belly of the planes, reflecting the growth in new services not new dedicated freighters?

Don't count YEG out yet. Despite the oil downturn, they are able to hang on to KLM and Icelandair (so far..).

LeftCoaster
Aug 9, 2016, 10:58 PM
Can't tell if your kidding or not.

I was referring to their cargo plan, which I don't know much about, but figured it would at least provide growth higher than 1.1%...

Their PAX on the other hand, well they would kill for 1.1% growth right now. Looking like a 5%+ decline this year.

LeftCoaster
Aug 9, 2016, 10:59 PM
X-post from the Canada section;

2015 numbers have been out a while for the major airports and I updated my 2014 Top North American Intl Airports list:

http://i.imgur.com/Xx1AKWa.png

Pearson still has a solid hold on second on the continent with the only major movement being LAX vaulting over MIA for 3rd.

YVR and YUL in strong position to hold their position and even make some moves as O'Hare, Newark and Hartsfield look vulnerable.

Johnny Aussie
Aug 9, 2016, 11:47 PM
X-post from the Canada section;

Nice chart.

Key thing to point out is Vancouver is by far the smallest CMA on that list.

With current year growth still a long way from catching ORD or ATL. But the gap with YUL should widen.

Very impressive for YYZ to be #2.

Johnny Aussie
Aug 9, 2016, 11:52 PM

I was referring to their cargo plan, which I don't know much about, but figured it would at least provide growth higher than 1.1%...

Their PAX on the other hand, well they would kill for 1.1% growth right now. Looking like a 5%+ decline this year.

YYC is also not slowing down with cargo development so there is still that competition to the south giving trouble.

Looking at forward schedules, YEG is still losing even more flights into the winter.

YEG doesn't disclose their cargo stats. All their press releases with regards to cargo just point out to % growth so can't really tell where they are at. Other airports like YVR and YYC post stats much larger than Stats Canada figures. A quick check indicates the stats Canada figures don't count smaller operators. So those must be a significant portion of both YVR and YYC total tonnage.

mezzanine
Aug 10, 2016, 12:29 AM

not kidding.

Remember that YVR had tremendous flux, at least with passenger traffic, with the Asian economic crisis in the late 1990s and the bankruptcy of Canadian. IIRC, YVR is just now surpassing to numbers prior to the 2008 crisis. Holding onto what you have IMO is really important. IIRC, KLM flies 4x weekly from YEG, which is similar (the same?) as YVR. Icelandair doesn't fly to YYC, a city YEG is disadvantaged with as they lack a star alliance hub. At least maintaining the network for now until oil recovers is a plus for YEG.

Long-term, YEG as a lot going for it as a cargo hub - it was identified with YVR as a potential aerotropolis. It has a lot of land, it's already the logistics centre for the petroleum industry and at a lower altitude that YYC. Air China already runs a dedicated cargo service to YEG. (http://cargo.flyeia.com/air-cargo-gateway)

osirisboy
Aug 10, 2016, 2:00 AM
^^i believe 2013 was the year Yvr surpassed its pre recession high

Johnny Aussie
Aug 10, 2016, 2:30 AM
not kidding.

Remember that YVR had tremendous flux, at least with passenger traffic, with the Asian economic crisis in the late 1990s and the bankruptcy of Canadian. IIRC, YVR is just now surpassing to numbers prior to the 2008 crisis. Holding onto what you have IMO is really important. IIRC, KLM flies 4x weekly from YEG, which is similar (the same?) as YVR. Icelandair doesn't fly to YYC, a city YEG is disadvantaged with as they lack a star alliance hub. At least maintaining the network for now until oil recovers is a plus for YEG.

Long-term, YEG as a lot going for it as a cargo hub - it was identified with YVR as a potential aerotropolis. It has a lot of land, it's already the logistics centre for the petroleum industry and at a lower altitude that YYC. Air China already runs a dedicated cargo service to YEG. (http://cargo.flyeia.com/air-cargo-gateway)

Yes there is potential but it's not necessarily being realised as other airports in the region are competing for the same traffic. YYC and YVR are making big inroads. The numbers released by Stats Canada, even though not necessarily 100% accurate for total tonnage, certainly tells the story. YYC, according to their 2015 press release on cargo stats, is churning through over 130,000 tonnes.

KLM is daily in YVR summer, 4 weekly in winter.
KLM is 4x weekly in YEG summer, 3 weekly in winter and they have been stagnant since their launch (ie no increases).
They have scaled back YVR one flight per week this winter but that is based on the launch of AF to CDG.

Absolutely Vancouver would be at risk during any Asian downturn just like Edmonton would be during an oil industry downturn.

Johnny Aussie
Aug 10, 2016, 4:48 AM

OK YVR has released its official June 2016 stats and you were pretty darn close!

Overall up 175,909 up 9.7% to 1,997,873
Domestic up 76,527 up 8.4% to 985,238
Transborder up 32,144 up 7.0% to 488,198
Asia Pacific up 35,724 up 13.1 % to 309,422
Europe up 23,013 up 14.0% to 187,429
Misc Int'l up 8,501 up 44.5% to 27,586

Still amazing crazy growth!

Domestic / International split is now Domestic: 49.3% International: 50.7%

LeftCoaster
Aug 10, 2016, 6:57 PM
Not bad eh? Only off by a few hundred on Transborder too!

not kidding.

I don't disagree that holding on to what they have now is a great result given the current conditions, but once again I don't understand what KLM and Icelandair have to do with their cargo hub plan?

What I was saying is that their big plans to be a cargo hub have fallen pretty flat. Not only did they have some of the lowest growth in the country in Cargo, they are starting from a tiny base number so their growth as a % should be much higher. The Air China freighter is great, but with YVR and YYC already seeing multiple dedicated cargo freighters they are just playing catch-up.

Just to put it into perspective, YVR with 9.6% growth added nearly the entire cargo operations of YEG in a single year.

Johnny Aussie
Aug 10, 2016, 9:51 PM
I don't disagree that holding on to what they have now is a great result given the current conditions, but once again I don't understand what KLM and Icelandair have to do with their cargo hub plan?

What I was saying is that their big plans to be a cargo hub have fallen pretty flat. Not only did they have some of the lowest growth in the country in Cargo, they are starting from a tiny base number so their growth as a % should be much higher. The Air China freighter is great, but with YVR and YYC already seeing multiple dedicated cargo freighters they are just playing catch-up.

Just to put it into perspective, YVR with 9.6% growth added nearly the entire cargo operations of YEG in a single year.

I think the problem with YEG Airport Authority is they did a lot of talking about the Port Alberta project, did a lot of reports on the Port Alberta project, but when it comes to actually making it happen..... And as I said before, YEG doesn't publish their tonnage numbers, just their growth % d then they spin it to sound like they are this huge cargo hub.

Meanwhile, YYC was just "quietly" building up a decent base and just making it happen. 2015 tonnage at YYC per Transport Canada is more than 50,000 tonnes less than what YYC reported. And Stats Canada showing a decline, whilst YYC authority showing an increase so perhaps there were a lot of smaller operators making decent gains.

I any event, being the YVR thread, nice to see YVR numbers growing strongly. Although 2016 looks like this is taking a hit.

EDELWEISS AND CONDOR SUMMER 2017 UPDATE

Both Condor and Edelweiss have released their 2017 summer schedules.

Edelweiss will remain three weekly but all three are scheduled to be on the A330-300. This summer it's 2 x 333 and 1 x 332. Not a big deal but a small bump in seats.

Condor will again be 5 weekly for the peak summer. Pretty much the same as this year.

LeftCoaster
Aug 10, 2016, 10:27 PM
Happy to hear Condor is returning with 5xPW, wouldn't want it to be too much more and start cutting in on LHs business.

Would love to see Edelweiss replaced by mainline Swiss though. I know it's probably not likely to happen, at least not in the near future, but a guy can hope right?

Johnny Aussie
Aug 10, 2016, 10:52 PM
Happy to hear Condor is returning with 5xPW, wouldn't want it to be too much more and start cutting in on LHs business.

Would love to see Edelweiss replaced by mainline Swiss though. I know it's probably not likely to happen, at least not in the near future, but a guy can hope right?

Sounds like Germany could handle even a bit more capacity. I'm still waiting for the imminent announcement of what LH will do when they phase out their 744s on the YVR-FRA route. I think YVR-MUC is sorted for now. Perhaps more 346 flying. I still think AC is in the mix for FRA. Just have to be careful how much more capacity they throw at Europe as the second YVR-LHR has to be a decent result before they would add even more seats.

I don't think YVR-ZRH is strong enough for mainline Swiss. I think Edelweiss is the perfect fit for YVR.

Hourglass
Aug 10, 2016, 10:59 PM
^^
Would be nice to see MUC go year-round. Any chance of that happening?

Jebby
Aug 10, 2016, 11:07 PM
^^
Would be nice to see MUC go year-round. Any chance of that happening?

I don't know if there's enough demand apart from December and Summer (all the way till the first week of October when Oktoberfest ends).

Maybe in a few years once LH shifts all their international traffic from Dusseldorf to Munich which would enable more connections to the rest of Europe out of Munich instead of connecting via Frankfurt?

LeftCoaster
Aug 10, 2016, 11:11 PM
Ya kinda strange MUC isn't year round given LHs increasing ops in Munich.

Does LH send a 744 during the winter? If so maybe when it retires the 747 fleet two A359s (one FRA one MUC) could replace it.

I don't think YVR-ZRH is strong enough for mainline Swiss. I think Edelweiss is the perfect fit for YVR.

I don't think it's strong enough either, just dreaming. Apparently Swiss tourism is up 38% through May of 16' so lots of demand, but it's probably predominantly VFR. Could probably support another frequency though if it is around 8,000 PAX before summer even really started.
https://www.biv.com/article/2016/8/vancouver-international-airport-extends-its-overse/

SFUVancouver
Aug 10, 2016, 11:38 PM
First off, those are awesome numbers for YVR! Thank you for the work that went into breaking them down and comparing them with our peers. I'm looking forward to YVR's unveiling of their updated master plan to address their rapidly-approaching capacity limits. Here's hoping for the eastern north-south taxiway to go ahead.

Speaking of leisure airline service from YVR to Germany, I just got home from a quick always-over-too-soon European holiday with my girlfriend and we actually took Condor from YVR to Frankfurt on an insanely good seat sale. Hold on to your hats: $199 all-in for a one-way fare!

All-in-all, Condor was fine. Bad leg room and the basic economy seats have no headrest, but I can endure a lot for <$200.

On the way back we flew on points on United from Amsterdam to Newark - with enough of a layover to have time to head into Manhattan for a quick look around - and we then took Air Canada home to YVR, which is a route that inexplicably uses a brand new 788. I don't know if I've ever taken a wide-body on a domestic/transborder flight. Amazing to think that a E190 was previously tasked with that route. I'll take a Dreamliner over an E-Jet any day of the week.

Photos!

Condor's B767-300ER
http://i.imgur.com/aCS9w20.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/n0497YI.jpg

While waiting at the gate, I saw Xiamen Airline's new 788 service to Vancouver arrive and pull up at the adjacent gate.
http://i.imgur.com/JBQdptC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mIFGS8i.jpg

In Amsterdam for my trip home I saw a rare bird: one of the first five A350-900s in service with Singapore Airlines.
http://i.imgur.com/K2djJhW.jpg

Coming home, I took an Air Canada 788 from Newark to YVR.
http://i.imgur.com/2txcOA9.jpg

LeftCoaster
Aug 11, 2016, 12:01 AM
It was a 319, but either way a huge upgrade ya. Can't believe given the amount of flying you do that you've never taken a domestic widebody flight, nearly half the frequencies (and over half the seats) to YYZ are widebody. I'm flying back to Toronto on a 789 tomorrow, always a pleasant flight.

That new condor/Thomson livery looks great, as does Xiamen, great catch. Would love to see that Singapore A359 in a different airport too...

mezzanine
Aug 11, 2016, 1:08 AM

I'm not a freight forwarding expert, but KLM and Icelandair are important because cargo goes into their bellies, and up to this point they have been able to maintain a regularly scheduled network - IMO I suppose that's YEG's win, so far.

I'm a YVR booster and I don't have a dog in this race, but Leduc and YEG are making an aggressive play to be a thriving aerotropolis (https://www.leduc.ca/regional-initiatives/alberta-aerotropolis). I don't imaging it will be a big passenger hub like YVR, or even a YYC, but more along the lines of a western YHM or even an ANC.

I wouldn't believe every press release from YEG/EIA, but YEG isn't a YWG (EDIT - natch, YWG has bigger cargo numbers.) And I like the underdog quality of YEG. It's fun to run an airport when the economy is booming and people are knocking at your door - trying to grow routes when times are tough requires brains and guts. And in a few years, when oil is up and China is in trouble, the shoe will be on the other foot and YVR will need to keep planning despite bad numbers.

SFUVancouver
Aug 11, 2016, 3:02 AM
I'm a YVR booster and I don't have a dog in this race, but Leduc and YEG are making an aggressive play to be a thriving aerotropolis (https://www.leduc.ca/regional-initiatives/alberta-aerotropolis)

Out of curiosity, how did you come across that initiative and what do you think of it?

mezzanine
Aug 11, 2016, 4:46 AM
Out of curiosity, how did you come across that initiative and what do you think of it?

...a 30 second google search. :) As well, the original 'aerotropolis' (http://www.aerotropolis.com/files/AirportCities_TheEvolution.pdf) team referenced a lot on the YVR thread identified Vancouver and edmonton as potential aerotropoli.

is it viable? i don't know all the details, but it's a bold plan that has viability. who knows, maybe the foreign carriers will pull out in the near future. But I also think that local airport authority has a lot more sway on route development than people realize.

Johnny Aussie
Aug 11, 2016, 5:46 AM
...a 30 second google search. :) As well, the original 'aerotropolis' (http://www.aerotropolis.com/files/AirportCities_TheEvolution.pdf) team referenced a lot on the YVR thread identified Vancouver and edmonton as potential aerotropoli.

is it viable? i don't know all the details, but it's a bold plan that has viability. who knows, maybe the foreign carriers will pull out in the near future. But I also think that local airport authority has a lot more sway on route development than people realize.

As I said before, YEG's potential seems to have been lost in study after study instead of doing. Don't forget YEG was booming more than ever during the last oil high cycle and the numbers churned out for 2015 would have only started to show signs of weakness. So during those boom years very little was achieved.

Their local airport authority has had very little sway in route development as quite the opposite has happened and it's only getting worse.

YYC has already well established itself as Western Canada's distribution centre and that area of Calgary where YYC is located is going crazy with development despite the downturn.

The other factor against Edmonton is its much smaller market size (not population but market size) as an origin and as a destination compared to Calgary.

I also think if China is in trouble it will affect everyone.

Johnny Aussie
Aug 11, 2016, 5:59 AM
Trying to focus getting this back on track about YVR.

As mentioned in a recent post summer 2017 schedules are starting to roll out. So far Condor and Edelweiss and now the latest is a minor tweak from Air Transat.

Next summer TS is increasing MAN to three weekly instead of two.

One of the YYC-MAN flights will now originate in YVR.

So summer 2017 YVR-Europe looks like 18 flights per week to:
LGW(7), MAN(3), AMS(3), CDG(3), GLA(1) and FCO(1).

mezzanine
Aug 11, 2016, 3:35 PM
As I said before, YEG's potential seems to have been lost in study after study instead of doing. Don't forget YEG was booming more than ever during the last oil high cycle and the numbers churned out for 2015 would have only started to show signs of weakness. So during those boom years very little was achieved.

Their local airport authority has had very little sway in route development as quite the opposite has happened and it's only getting worse.

YYC has already well established itself as Western Canada's distribution centre and that area of Calgary where YYC is located is going crazy with development despite the downturn.

The other factor against Edmonton is its much smaller market size (not population but market size) as an origin and as a destination compared to Calgary.

I also think if China is in trouble it will affect everyone.

IMO any airport authority plays a big role. I'd want my airport authority to punch above its weight. Pick your fights, but punch above your weight. Larry Burg and Craig Richmond have really knocked it out of the park (TWOV, APC kiosk development, international-to-transborder swing gates, canada line, frozen aeronautical fees, etc), I suppose YEG's authority has done work for the better and the worse. (http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2013/10/24/when-airlineairport-relationships-sour/)

but i don't understand the hate-on for the YEG aerotropolis plans, especially considering how difficult it was to grow YVR in the past. We are expecting 5 million more pax in the next 5 years, but it took ~13 years to get our prior 5 million (http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/12/vancouver-international-airport-yvr-20-million-passengers/), longer if you take into account the blip before 9/11. Oddly, if you believe VancityBuzz's numbers, YVR's cargo numbers have been flat and still down from the 1999 peak. (http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/12/vancouver-international-airport-yvr-20-million-passengers/)

Regardless, i won't post on this anymore...

Johnny Aussie
Aug 11, 2016, 7:28 PM
Nice little article about Westjet's July numbers and YVR's contribution to that.

The capacity shift and growth into YVR seems to be filling seats.

https://www.biv.com/article/2016/8/vancouver-contributes-westjets-busiest-ever-july/

Johnny Aussie
Aug 12, 2016, 12:16 AM
http://vancouversun.com/business/local-business/boeing-to-bring-200-high-income-data-analytics-jobs-to-vancouver

Just another little uptick in the right direction.

Story is conflicting though, is it 200 or 50 jobs?

aberdeen5698
Aug 12, 2016, 12:25 AM
http://vancouversun.com/business/local-business/boeing-to-bring-200-high-income-data-analytics-jobs-to-vancouver
Story is conflicting though, is it 200 or 50 jobs?

Yeah, it's very contradictory. The page's title tag and the image caption both say 200, the headline and the text body say 50.

excel
Aug 12, 2016, 1:28 AM
To be expected coming from the Vancouver Sun. Sounds like it is 50 however.

trofirhen
Aug 12, 2016, 1:59 AM
I wonder if next year will bring any major new routes and / or airlines, or if it will be more an augmentation of what YVR already has.

Gordon
Aug 12, 2016, 6:48 PM
There are more Chinese routes aren't there?

It would be nice to see YVR include some sort of retractable covers from the new holdrooms to the planes for the new pier A gates that should open soon.

nname
Aug 12, 2016, 7:29 PM
Seems like Beijing Capital's is going to start selling tickets soon:

[...]

The Agency has considered the application and is of the opinion that Beijing Capital Airlines, by agreeing to apply Hainan Airlines’ Tariff NTA(A) No. 536 to the sale of its fares on an interim basis in lieu of filing its own tariff with the Agency and committing to filing its own tariff prior to its first flights operating at the end of November 2016, has taken actions that are as effective as compliance with the requirement to file its own tariff.

[...]

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/2016-a-125

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/2016-a-126

Johnny Aussie
Aug 12, 2016, 8:06 PM
Seems like Beijing Capital's is going to start selling tickets soon:

Yes, and Hainan as well to Tianjin.

It's all happening soon.

YYCguys
Aug 12, 2016, 8:16 PM
It would be nice to see YVR include some sort of retractable covers from the new holdrooms to the planes for the new pier A gates that should open soon.

New Pier A gates? I didn't know that there were more gates opening over there. Can you please elaborate?

SFUVancouver
Aug 13, 2016, 1:04 AM
It was a 319, but either way a huge upgrade ya. Can't believe given the amount of flying you do that you've never taken a domestic widebody flight, nearly half the frequencies (and over half the seats) to YYZ are widebody. I'm flying back to Toronto on a 789 tomorrow, always a pleasant flight.

That new condor/Thomson livery looks great, as does Xiamen, great catch. Would love to see that Singapore A359 in a different airport too...

Ah, thanks for the correction on the A319 -> B788 vs E190 -> B788.

Yes, I can't recall ever having taken a domestic wide-body. Perhaps as a young kid flying with my Dad to Montreal to visit family, but I don't recall. I did get to sit in the cockpit once for the landing at YUL, which was so ridiculously cool!

Agreed, on the Condor/Thomas Cook livery looking sharp. They chose nice colours with which to play around. Agreed, too, on the Xiamen Airlines livery. And, agreed, once more, on the desire to see Singapore send an A359 our way. They've ordered 67(!) of them, so chances are good someday. The next route Singapore will fly with its A359s is to Johannesburg. That could have been an interesting routing for me when I was working on a project there.

Johnny Aussie
Aug 13, 2016, 2:32 AM
The next route Singapore will fly with its A359s is to Johannesburg. That could have been an interesting routing for me when I was working on a project there.

My next trip MEL-SIN has just been changed to the 359.... They moved that flight forward two weeks so looking forward to that!

Johnny Aussie
Aug 13, 2016, 3:30 AM
YVR has finally updated their June stats (again) in the normal format.

http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/documents/facts-sheets/traffic-update_june-2016.pdf?la=en

Cargo is up too (although only marginally) despite their cargo-only stats sheet showing a massive decline in June... Figured that must have been an error.

Total YTD is up ~ 782,000
Domestic YTD is up ~ 369,000
International YTD is up ~ 413,000

YTD domestic is now < total international.

osirisboy
Aug 13, 2016, 4:11 AM
Aww just shy of breaking 2 million for the month

Klazu
Aug 13, 2016, 5:36 AM

Just another little uptick in the right direction. Story is conflicting though, is it 200 or 50 jobs?

Boeing already has a software development center in Richmond which is perhaps few hundred people, so likely the 50 is in addition to that. Good new in any case. :tup:

trofirhen
Aug 13, 2016, 3:07 PM
Skies the limit for YVR and new China routes!
Any other routes coming up, other than to China?
Mexico? Europe? USA? Australia?

LeftCoaster
Aug 15, 2016, 7:24 PM
Ah, thanks for the correction on the A319 -> B788 vs E190 -> B788.

Yes, I can't recall ever having taken a domestic wide-body. Perhaps as a young kid flying with my Dad to Montreal to visit family, but I don't recall. I did get to sit in the cockpit once for the landing at YUL, which was so ridiculously cool!

Agreed, on the Condor/Thomas Cook livery looking sharp. They chose nice colours with which to play around. Agreed, too, on the Xiamen Airlines livery. And, agreed, once more, on the desire to see Singapore send an A359 our way. They've ordered 67(!) of them, so chances are good someday. The next route Singapore will fly with its A359s is to Johannesburg. That could have been an interesting routing for me when I was working on a project there.

I'm pretty hopeful we can see some SG 359s here one day. It may not be the strongest route but with all the money floating around Vancouver these days and the extra frames Singapore ordered I think there's a decent chance.

YVR has finally updated their June stats (again) in the normal format.

http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/documents/facts-sheets/traffic-update_june-2016.pdf?la=en

Cargo is up too (although only marginally) despite their cargo-only stats sheet showing a massive decline in June... Figured that must have been an error.

Total YTD is up ~ 782,000
Domestic YTD is up ~ 369,000
International YTD is up ~ 413,000

YTD domestic is now < total international.

Weird about the cargo, don't know how they could be so off, looking at their cargo only sheet it doesn't seem to be a type-o either.

Either way that 1 million PAX growth seems pretty attainable now since we've hit 800K already in the first half of the year.

It would be amazing if we were able to skip straight past 21 million and hit 22. It would require an annual growth rate of 8.3%, so not far off where we are now and in line with all the new service we've been seeing.

Boeing already has a software development center in Richmond which is perhaps few hundred people, so likely the 50 is in addition to that. Good new in any case. :tup:

Yes this is what happened. the total employees will be 200. 150 existing and 50 new.

Any other routes coming up, other than to China?
Mexico? Europe? USA? Australia?

Probably.

nname
Aug 16, 2016, 7:49 PM
And now its here:

Beijing Capital Airlines schedules Vancouver debut in Dec 2016

Beijing Capital Airlines this month has filed planned operational schedule for its debut to Canada. Based on the schedule listing as well as recent approval from the Canadian Transportation Agency, the airline will operate Hangzhou – Qingdao – Vancouver route from 30DEC16, 3 times a week.

Reservation in the GDS is only available in full-fare J and Y class at present time.

JD471 HGH1415 – 1605TAO1805 – 1315YVR 330 357
JD472 YVR1630 – 1940+1TAO2140+1 – 2325+1HGH 330 357

Capital Airlines is set to become the 6th Chinese carrier to serve Vancouver, after Air China, China Eastern, China Southern, Sichuan Airlines and Xiamen Airlines.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/268445/beijing-capital-airlines-schedules-vancouver-debut-in-dec-2016

excel
Aug 16, 2016, 8:20 PM
Great news. YVR continues to own the Chinese market.

SFUVancouver
Aug 16, 2016, 11:18 PM
And now its here:

Beijing Capital Airlines schedules Vancouver debut in Dec 2016

Beijing Capital Airlines this month has filed planned operational schedule for its debut to Canada. Based on the schedule listing as well as recent approval from the Canadian Transportation Agency, the airline will operate Hangzhou – Qingdao – Vancouver route from 30DEC16, 3 times a week.

Reservation in the GDS is only available in full-fare J and Y class at present time.

JD471 HGH1415 – 1605TAO1805 – 1315YVR 330 357
JD472 YVR1630 – 1940+1TAO2140+1 – 2325+1HGH 330 357

Capital Airlines is set to become the 6th Chinese carrier to serve Vancouver, after Air China, China Eastern, China Southern, Sichuan Airlines and Xiamen Airlines.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/268445/beijing-capital-airlines-schedules-vancouver-debut-in-dec-2016

That's awesome news! Talk about route development, YVR is certainly doing its part to leverage the opportunity crated by the booming Chinese airline expansion efforts.

It looks like Beijing Capital Airlines will operate the route with A332 equipment, or potentially in the longer term the A333 that it has on order.

https://www.planespotters.net/airline/Beijing-Capital-Airlines

Looks like a colourful livery:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/21/Capital_Airlines_Airbus_A330-243_on_finals_at_Sanya_Phoenix_International_Airport.jpg

trofirhen
Aug 16, 2016, 11:19 PM
:tup:It sure does!! I just wish YVR had a bigger bite of the Oceania / SE Asia market: Melbourne, Tahiti (AF could do that seasonally in winter), maybe Singapore, Bangkok .....

whatnext
Aug 17, 2016, 12:05 AM

More like the Chinese market continues to own YVR. :haha:

I was dismayed to see the big expensive advertising billboard space just outside international arrivals taken up by: a company offering Chinese immigration services; two big developers prominently touting real estate to the same market; and finally Lulu Island Winery. Not the greatest welcome for visitors coming from anywhere else in the world. It would be nice if BC's attractions were promoted, rather than just the usual real estate pitches.

nname
Aug 17, 2016, 12:08 AM
I was dismayed to see the big expensive advertising billboard space just outside international arrivals taken up by: a company offering Chinese immigration services; two big developers prominently touting real estate to the same market; and finally Lulu Island Winery. Not the greatest welcome for visitors coming from anywhere else in the world. It would be nice if BC's attractions were promoted, rather than just the usual real estate pitches.

Maybe.. there should be more advertisements for Capilano Suspension Bridge, so visitors can drop $40 each to go see a... umm.. suspension bridge? :D

Klazu
Aug 17, 2016, 12:13 AM
Those Concord Pacific and Westbank ads have been there for ages.

Henbo
Aug 17, 2016, 2:32 AM
:tup:It sure does!! I just wish YVR had a bigger bite of the Oceania / SE Asia market: Melbourne, Tahiti (AF could do that seasonally in winter), maybe Singapore, Bangkok .....

No "official source" for this one, but one of my friends recently started working for Air Canada, and she heard that they are planning to launch a YVR - Singapore route soon. She said not this year, but it sounds like next year

Skygazer
Aug 17, 2016, 4:03 AM
No "official source" for this one, but one of my friends recently started working for Air Canada, and she heard that they are planning to launch a YVR - Singapore route soon. She said not this year, but it sounds like next year

I really hope this happens! Singapore is by far one of the countries I'm most interested in visiting but right now it's quite inconvenient.

I've looked at flights in the past and the most common route I'm offered is flying 12 hours to Shanghai, a 5 hour layover while jet-lagged and tired, and then 6 more hours of flying to get to Singapore, which is pretty off-putting to me.

Whereas if I could just hop on a plane in Vancouver and get off in Singapore that would be amazing :)

Klazu
Aug 17, 2016, 4:47 AM
While that is exciting, Air Canada on that route would diminish chances of seeing Singapore Airlines at YVR.

teriyaki
Aug 17, 2016, 6:03 AM
While that is exciting, Air Canada on that route would diminish chances of seeing Singapore Airlines at YVR.

Or it could spur them to compete, like United did with their SFO-SIN service which prompted a very swift reaction from SQ. As much as I myself would also love to see SQ back at YVR, the cards are stacked against them. The chinese airlines are going to eat their lunch when it comes to competitive pricing, and their connection/population base are much higher. Not to mention SQ would be facing a huge fuel burn penalty against the likes of our existing Asian carriers due to its further location. Maybe, just maybe the A350 could change the game...

On another note, the Capital Airlines news is very interesting. They only have 3 A330 in their entire fleet, they'd really be utilizing 1/3 of their fleet to fly to YVR if they are to start the route. They're also majority owned by Hainan Airlines, who already has service to Seattle.

mezzanine
Aug 17, 2016, 6:44 AM
I suspect a lot of YVR news from SE Asia in the future. SQ, Vietnam Airlines, (http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/vietnam-airlines-begins-new-chapter-with-a350s-787s-are-777-8xs-and-a-strategic-investor-next-243589) and Thai Airways (http://www.payloadasia.com/2016/06/new-thai-a350sb787s-see-thai-return-north-america/) are getting new deliveries for new and efficient 787s and A350-900s. Thai and Vietnam at least have expressed interest in trying to fly to YVR, and SQ if they fly here again (and maybe Thai) can get a good chunk of higher yield star-alliance traffic.

There was even chatter on CAPA on AC servicing YVR-SIN-BKK (http://centreforaviation.com/news/air-canada-considering-vancouver-singapore-bangkok-service-report-561837) but i can't access the article (no account PW!) FWIW, just the one-sentence lede:

Air Canada is reportedly looking into the feasibility of launching Vancouver-Singapore-Bangkok service (Airlineroute, 02-Jun-2016).

mezzanine
Aug 17, 2016, 7:01 AM

seriously?

1) for the past 10-20 years the long-range plan for YVR growth is to become a traffic hub between Asia and the Americas. Which includes encouraging flights/pax from China.

2) those "big expensive billboards" provide non-aeronautical revenue to YVR to keep landing fees, etc down

3) Those billboards have been up for at least 1-2 years now and I don't think non-Chinese tourists (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-tourism-numbers-up-1.3709121) are as dismayed.

trofirhen
Aug 17, 2016, 10:30 AM
More like the Chinese market continues to own YVR. :haha:

That's Vancouver: the city that would sell its own mother if such a thing existed. Already selling its soul .... but that's another thread.:runaway:

trofirhen
Aug 17, 2016, 2:04 PM
I suspect a lot of YVR news from SE Asia in the future. SQ, Vietnam Airlines, (http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/vietnam-airlines-begins-new-chapter-with-a350s-787s-are-777-8xs-and-a-strategic-investor-next-243589) and Thai Airways (http://www.payloadasia.com/2016/06/new-thai-a350sb787s-see-thai-return-north-america/) are getting new deliveries for new and efficient 787s and A350-900s. Thai and Vietnam at least have expressed interest in trying to fly to YVR, and SQ if they fly here again (and maybe Thai) can get a good chunk of higher yield star-alliance traffic.

There was even chatter on CAPA on AC servicing YVR-SIN-BKK (http://centreforaviation.com/news/air-canada-considering-vancouver-singapore-bangkok-service-report-561837) but i can't access the article (no account PW!) FWIW, just the one-sentence lede:
A bit strange that it isn't YVR-BKK-SIN. Firstly, the suggested route makes sort of a zig-zag. Second because YVR-BKK-SIN is shorter. I guess they want Singapore first because of prestige and/ or connectivity and / or yield (?)

LeftCoaster
Aug 18, 2016, 4:03 PM

That's a very interesting rumour. Last year I would have dismissed it immediately but with AC launching to Dehli so soon they have shown they are willing to take a dive into a long and untested market.

As much as I'd rather SQ run the route I just would like to see anyone flying it.

Denscity
Aug 18, 2016, 8:24 PM
Jeppesen Aviation has given our airport YCG a proposal to improve landings at our airport and try to rid ourselves of the "Cancelgar" moniker. These guys are owned by Boeing right? They seem to know what they are doing?

trofirhen
Aug 18, 2016, 8:28 PM
That's a very interesting rumour. Last year I would have dismissed it immediately but with AC launching to Dehli so soon they have shown they are willing to take a dive into a long and untested market.

As much as I'd rather SQ run the route I just would like to see anyone flying it.
Vancouver to Singapore. Nonstop, I presume. What kind of metal would they use? 777X or what?