PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : Calgary International Airport

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101

MrBigStuff
Oct 25, 2010, 12:46 AM
It's larger than AC and employees working for free - A major oil company donates the fuel. I wish I could remember which - if someone knows please credit that company. It's truly a community endeavor, working in sync, Nenshi like ;)

Does any one of you remember the Dreams Take Flight fund raising flights they used to have - featuring the Lockheed 10A???
I would like to know why that was stopped, and if there is any plans to have any more fund raising flights. ( Was $100.00/head - well worth the ride in the old plane ).

Yume-sama
Oct 25, 2010, 3:43 AM
So, it's 6am, I've been at the airport for nearly 90 minutes. The wifi doesn't seem to work and the Jugo Juice that you can usually get to after US customs is closed off today. I really wish they had some services on the US side...

:P Nothing's fair or convenient in the USA, son. Best get used to it at the airport.

Cage
Oct 25, 2010, 5:58 AM
Does any one of you remember the Dreams Take Flight fund raising flights they used to have - featuring the Lockheed 10A???
I would like to know why that was stopped, and if there is any plans to have any more fund raising flights. ( Was $100.00/head - well worth the ride in the old plane ).

Remember the L10a very well. Quite a few flights out of YXX and one out of YXD on old TCC.

IIRC a couple of issues have come up in the last few years:
- TCC is still a pilot bid position from union nseniority perspective. For a number of the pilots that maintained currency on L10a this was a problem. They got retirement (age 60) comming up prior to the start of L10a season. Some would stay on for the summer and only fly L10a, others took immediate retirement. When AC went bankrupt in 2003, a few employees that were awaiting retirement in spring summer 2003 got screwed. That and the pilots wanting mandatory retirement pushed back to 65 have screwed up the seniority system.
- Also I believe TCC is in running out of life span again. I'm pretty sure its under long term storage in YWG AC/Aveos hanger with some major overhaul work to be completed.

Bigtime
Oct 25, 2010, 2:32 PM
Courtesy of I Fly Calgary (http://www.iflycalgary.ca/):

The month by month growth that YYC has seen for the majority of this year continued in August and September based on the latest numbers released by the Calgary Airport Authority.

August 2010 saw only small growth with an overall increase in passengers of 0.4% over the same month last year. Broken down, 2 out of 3 sectors saw numbers that were actually lower then 2009 but not by much. Domestic travel was down 0.8% compared to 2009 and transborder traffic was also down a marginal 1.4%. International traffic was the only sector to see a gain, and it continued the double digit numbers growth with a 13.0% increase over 2009. Overall, 1,206,223 passengers used the airport in August.

August 2010
Domestic: 866,188
Transborder: 214,313
International: 125,722

September boded much better for YYC in comparison to August with all three sectors seeing increased numbers over 2009. The overall increase in passengers for September was 2.7% over 2009. Domestic numbers were nearly the same as the year before with only a 0.6% growth while transborder saw a good rebound over August with an increase of 4.1%. International traffic continues to be the hot spot with September 2010 coming in 16.1% higher then 2009.

September 2010
Domestic: 743,955
Transborder: 189,362
International: 112,960

From what I can tell, the total numbers for the third quarter were the best ever. (Q3 2007 held the top honours before). It'll be interesting to see what the 4th quarter numbers will be as Lufthansa and KLM reduce their flights for the winter season and the Air Canada route to Tokyo goes on hiatus until next spring. Will the increase in sun routes make up for those losses? We'll just have to wait and see!

Johnny Aussie
Oct 26, 2010, 1:16 AM
Courtesy of I Fly Calgary (http://www.iflycalgary.ca/):

The month by month growth that YYC has seen for the majority of this year continued in August and September based on the latest numbers released by the Calgary Airport Authority.

August 2010 saw only small growth with an overall increase in passengers of 0.4% over the same month last year. Broken down, 2 out of 3 sectors saw numbers that were actually lower then 2009 but not by much. Domestic travel was down 0.8% compared to 2009 and transborder traffic was also down a marginal 1.4%. International traffic was the only sector to see a gain, and it continued the double digit numbers growth with a 13.0% increase over 2009. Overall, 1,206,223 passengers used the airport in August.

August 2010
Domestic: 866,188
Transborder: 214,313
International: 125,722

September boded much better for YYC in comparison to August with all three sectors seeing increased numbers over 2009. The overall increase in passengers for September was 2.7% over 2009. Domestic numbers were nearly the same as the year before with only a 0.6% growth while transborder saw a good rebound over August with an increase of 4.1%. International traffic continues to be the hot spot with September 2010 coming in 16.1% higher then 2009.

September 2010
Domestic: 743,955
Transborder: 189,362
International: 112,960

From what I can tell, the total numbers for the third quarter were the best ever. (Q3 2007 held the top honours before). It'll be interesting to see what the 4th quarter numbers will be as Lufthansa and KLM reduce their flights for the winter season and the Air Canada route to Tokyo goes on hiatus until next spring. Will the increase in sun routes make up for those losses? We'll just have to wait and see!

Very impressive numbers indeed. YYC seems to continue to recover from last year's losses. No doubt August was boosted by the NRT and ICN flights.

Looks like Monarch will not be flying this winter. Last winter they had 2 flights to LGW and Thomas Cook also had 2 flights to LGW. This winter it will be just Thomas Cook's standard 2 weekly to LGW and 2 weekly to MAN. So with the FRA reductions, overseas international will most likely take a hit. I think the increased sun flying will make up for these capacity cuts and will probably come in pretty even. YYC should break down international like YVR does. At least break down international to include "Europe" and then "Other."

Bigtime
Oct 26, 2010, 1:04 PM
Very impressive numbers indeed. YYC seems to continue to recover from last year's losses. No doubt August was boosted by the NRT and ICN flights.

Looks like Monarch will not be flying this winter. Last winter they had 2 flights to LGW and Thomas Cook also had 2 flights to LGW. This winter it will be just Thomas Cook's standard 2 weekly to LGW and 2 weekly to MAN. So with the FRA reductions, overseas international will most likely take a hit. I think the increased sun flying will make up for these capacity cuts and will probably come in pretty even. YYC should break down international like YVR does. At least break down international to include "Europe" and then "Other."

I would like to see them break down the international numbers like that also.

Bigtime
Oct 28, 2010, 6:14 PM
A new Radisson hotel for up by the airport:

New hotel on Calgary horizon

Radisson to be constructed near airport

By Mario Toneguzzi, Calgary HeraldOctober 28, 2010 12:04 PM

CALGARY - A global hotel chain has announced it is building a new hotel near the Calgary International Airport.

Carlson, a privately held, global hospitality and travel company, said it has plans for a 120-room Radisson Hotel to be built just over three kilometres from the airport.

Estimated cost of the Radisson Hotel and Conference Centre is $19 million US.

Construction will begin in March 2011 with an expected opening date of March 2012.

"This hotel development illustrates the continued momentum in our Ambition 2015 growth strategy," said Thorsten Kirschke, president of Carlson Hotels, Americas, in a news release. "Adding another airport location to our growing portfolio is aligned with plans to expand Radisson as a vibrant, contemporary and engaging brand in key city, resort and airport locations globally."

The Radisson Calgary Airport East will feature a day spa, indoor pool and fitness centre. The bar and restaurant will offer breakfast, lunch and dinner daily. Meeting facilities will include five banquet rooms totalling 13,500 square feet that can accommodate up to 600 people.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/travel/hotel+Calgary+horizon/3741124/story.html

YYCguys
Oct 28, 2010, 7:38 PM
A new Radisson hotel for up by the airport:

In what location, does anybody know? I thought there was a couple or trio of hotels going to be built north of the Airport west of the Park n Jet. Is this one of those?

And on a similar note, what is the large hotel like building going up near the Sandman on 48th Avenue NE next to the golf course?

You Need A Thneed
Oct 28, 2010, 7:52 PM
In what location, does anybody know? I thought there was a couple or trio of hotels going to be built north of the Airport west of the Park n Jet. Is this one of those?

And on a similar note, what is the large hotel like building going up near the Sandman on 48th Avenue NE next to the golf course?

Marriott hotel, it looks like one of the largest (if not the largest) hotels along the Barlow strip.

From the CAA website, it looks like the Airport tunnel will now need to go under 4 things right away. For a while the rendering on the website only had the runway and the west taxiway, then a while back, it changed to show two parallel taxiways on the west side, which still was the case a couple of weeks ago on the website. I looked again today, and it shows the parallel taxiway on the west side, AND a short taxiway on the east side at the north end.

Bigtime
Oct 28, 2010, 7:53 PM

The article only says 3km from the airport, but not in which direction.

The building on 48th avenue is another hotel I believe, and in a very unfortunate location given the imminent closure of Barlow.

Bassic Lab
Oct 28, 2010, 10:13 PM
Marriott hotel, it looks like one of the largest (if not the largest) hotels along the Barlow strip.

From the CAA website, it looks like the Airport tunnel will now need to go under 4 things right away. For a while the rendering on the website only had the runway and the west taxiway, then a while back, it changed to show two parallel taxiways on the west side, which still was the case a couple of weeks ago on the website. I looked again today, and it shows the parallel taxiway on the west side, AND a short taxiway on the east side at the north end.

I would imagine that the runway itself it the major issue. Bridge structures for the taxiways should require less engineering work and far less complex construction than for the runway. They will not be as wide or subject to the same demands. If we can manage the runway portion then the rest should be easy.

tuffyy
Oct 29, 2010, 5:50 AM
Qatar and Canada are at the table discussing bi-lateral air agreements.Sounds like Qatar will get its way with daily service to YYZ (Something they have wanted).EK will be plenty upset, but then again thats what happens when you throw a tantrum...
The bilateral will not stretch beyond YYZ at this time.I would suspect a 77L will be used on the route once it is launched.

Riise
Oct 29, 2010, 12:54 PM

According to the Herald (http://www.calgaryherald.com/travel/hotel+Calgary+horizon/3741124/story.html), it will be located at 6620 36th St. N.E..

Bigtime
Oct 29, 2010, 1:06 PM
Qatar and Canada are at the table discussing bi-lateral air agreements.Sounds like Qatar will get its way with daily service to YYZ (Something they have wanted).EK will be plenty upset, but then again thats what happens when you throw a tantrum...
The bilateral will not stretch beyond YYZ at this time.I would suspect a 77L will be used on the route once it is launched.

Very interesting news, and I am quite happy to see we are working something out with Qatar. If memory serves we based some of our CF-18's there during Desert Storm, and I don't recall them booting us out over landing rights at YYZ! ;)

Take note UAE.

MalcolmTucker
Oct 29, 2010, 1:42 PM
x7 weekly is quite different from the Emirati's x28+ request for sure. That Emirates held back service in an attempt to blackmail until Etihad jumped for x3 services shows some odd behavior for sure.

You Need A Thneed
Oct 29, 2010, 2:28 PM
According to the Herald (http://www.calgaryherald.com/travel/hotel+Calgary+horizon/3741124/story.html), it will be located at 6620 36th St. N.E..

So, basically beside the new Bell building. They must be assuming that the Airport Tunnel, errr, 96th Ave underpass is going through.

That's a terrible spot for an Airport Hotel if the underpass isn't built. It would be closer to the airport, but take longer to get to then the Crossroads Radisson.

Saying they are 3km from the Airport will be misleading at best. According to Google Maps, it is 9.4 km to the terminal by road - up 36th Street, across CHB, then down Barlow. 9.8 km to go down to Mcknight and then up Barlow. EVen with the underpass, it is going to be 6 km away by road.

YYCguys
Oct 29, 2010, 2:34 PM
Well, it will be a good location in terms of getting guests to and from the airport, once 36th Street NE gets upgraded from the cowpath it currently is, but not a very nice location in terms of being smack dab in the middle of an ugly industrial area.

tuffyy
Oct 29, 2010, 2:35 PM
Qatar has been granted the right to offer 3 weekly passenger flights and 3 weekly all cargo flights to Canada.Sounds like those will end up being to YYZ as mentioned earlier.I would say they did slightly better than the UAE did considering QR is the only airline to benefit from the deal in this case.I am not sure we will see the freighter service added anytime soon but DOH-YYZ could be right around the corner.

Bigtime
Oct 29, 2010, 2:37 PM
I know I'm a dreamer but any chance that YYC could get a cargo flight out of the deal? We do run Asiana to Korea and Cargolux to Europe.

Johnny Aussie
Oct 29, 2010, 9:24 PM
I know I'm a dreamer but any chance that YYC could get a cargo flight out of the deal? We do run Asiana to Korea and Cargolux to Europe.

Maybe QR will run its passenger fllights to YYC! Yeh right.

Curious about Asiana Cargo flights - do they still fly to YYC. I was curious about schedules and couldn't find any to YYC. In North America their scheds show - LAX, SFO, SEA, ORD, JFK and ATL. I tried the download option (into Excel) and the on-line scheds. Perhaps this is seasonal?

http://www.asianacargo.com/English/index.htm

Bigtime
Oct 29, 2010, 9:28 PM
I've seen Asiana here in YYC on Sunday nights, but they are definitely here each week.

Canadian74
Oct 30, 2010, 3:18 AM
x7 weekly is quite different from the Emirati's x28+ request for sure. That Emirates held back service in an attempt to blackmail until Etihad jumped for x3 services shows some odd behavior for sure.

UAE asked for 14 weekly flights. Not 28 or 50 or 500.

MalcolmTucker
Oct 30, 2010, 4:50 AM
UAE asked for 14 weekly flights. Not 28 or 50 or 500.
that is what they negotiated down to, not what they asked for.

CalgaryLankan
Oct 30, 2010, 5:57 AM
I've seen Asiana here in YYC on Sunday nights, but they are definitely here each week.

Korean Air 9231 B744 was here on Oct 25th, but I also didn't see Asiana activity lately. Flightaware is not very reliable either.

DIESEL
Oct 30, 2010, 6:23 AM
A UAL 777 from Denver arrived at YYC today, did anyone get photos?

Riise
Oct 30, 2010, 4:26 PM
Some of our friends up north won't like this one bit.

Bus Line Offers Trips To Calgary Airport

30 October 2010
Calgary Herald
Bill Mah

A campaign to convince Edmontonians to break their habit of flying out of Calgary will be hit by a Red Arrow on Monday.

That's when Edmontonbased Red Arrow Motorcoach launches a direct route via Red Deer to Calgary International Airport from Edmonton.

The service comes as Edmonton's airport is fighting to convince Edmontonians to fly from the Edmonton International Airport instead of Calgary's airport.

Red Arrow general manager John Stepovy said Friday the company is responding to public demand.

Complete Article (http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/line+offers+trips+Calgary+airport/3750744/story.html#ixzz13rNrqSEY)

Bigtime
Oct 30, 2010, 5:06 PM
Korean Air 9231 B744 was here on Oct 25th, but I also didn't see Asiana activity lately. Flightaware is not very reliable either.

I remember when KE was operating regular cargo flights, it was them and Asiana but Korean pulled out after a few months IIRC.

Hmm, going to have to look this one up for more info. Probably mechanical/medical related I would assume.

Johnny Aussie
Oct 30, 2010, 9:17 PM
I remember when KE was operating regular cargo flights, it was them and Asiana but Korean pulled out after a few months IIRC.

I remember that too.

Asiana's cargo website doesn't show any YYC flights in November (last flight being Halloween!). It was a tag on to ORD-ICN. Now it looks like the ORD flight is going to be via ANC. So not sure if this cargo route is being dropped or what?

Cargolux also down to only 2 per week. What was their peak frequency?

These airlines' cargo websites are very thorough with their schedule displays!

Policy Wonk
Oct 31, 2010, 2:50 AM
Some of our friends up north won't like this one bit.

I still think driving to Calgary is stupid, but at some point Edmonton Airports has to face its own shortcomings and quit paranoidly lashing out at the world ala Nixon 1973 when confronted with those shortcomings.

Johnny Aussie
Oct 31, 2010, 5:32 AM
I still think driving to Calgary is stupid, but at some point Edmonton Airports has to face its own shortcomings and quit paranoidly lashing out at the world ala Nixon 1973 when confronted with those shortcomings.

Maybe if the savings are great enough people would be willing to be inconvenienced as such. I doubt this bus service will actually make much of a dent anyway. However, I have read in another forum that some people are going to boycott Red Arrow b/c it works against Edmonton. Funnily enough Red Arrow is apparently owned by a group based in Edmonton.

As for Edmonton Airports shortcomings, there does seem to be some form of underlying paranoia. I have certainly been sprayed in other forums for even suggesting that some of the news that EIA spits out is "misleading" as that is perceived as negative (negative as in "factual"). And I have actually emailed EIA twice about their Stop the Calgary habit campaign, but have had NO reply. Wonder why that is? I questioned them how they determined 19,000 fewer passengers are making the drive to Calgary. That has me stumped how that statistic can be calculated. I also questioned this amazing increase in flights/seats they say they are going to have this winter when the forward schedules prove otherwise.

Pull out an atlas and realise that YEG is not the most well placed city to be a major player. They cannot even maintain a once weekly flight to Frankfurt. Next summer that flight is gone.

But! The EIA somehow believes that the planets will align, a curse against them ("AC" or any other airline that dares drops any service from there) will be lifted and suddenly they will have airlines beating down their door to fill up all these new gates they are building.

Policy Wonk
Oct 31, 2010, 6:21 AM
Edmonton Airports and the YEG fanbois are paranoid and alienating, but Edmonton airport boosterism is quite possibly the only force in the universe that can kill an Alberta HSR proposal.

So I have to appreciate them on that level.

tuffyy
Nov 1, 2010, 3:03 PM
^^^Hey Johnny you really should get a airport marketing job!!!You seem to be a walking holy grail with airlines and airports!Man I need a new job!!!
:rolleyes:

CalgaryLankan
Nov 1, 2010, 4:20 PM

I think it was a incorrect flight plan filed and captured by FlightAware. I also got an email from my FlightAware "big birds" alert, but then it was changed to a A320 later.

My email;

" UAL9944/B772 has just filed a flight plan. It is scheduled to depart from KDEN (Denver Intl) at 06:30PM MDT heading for CYYC (Calgary Int'l) for an estimated arrival at 09:52PM MDT.

Expected route: YELLO6 CYS DDY BIL J13 GTF J516 YQL

For more information visit http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL9944"

Did anyone actually see a 772?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL9944

Bigtime
Nov 1, 2010, 4:35 PM
None of my "sources" have told me they saw the UA 777 or took any pics of it. Probably a Flightaware bug then.

Bigtime
Nov 1, 2010, 6:01 PM
Royal Jordanian is back in town tomorrow, here is the bad news though:

-Arrival at 0315
-Departure at 0415 to Shannon, Ireland

To early for me!

Coldrsx
Nov 1, 2010, 6:04 PM
You guys are fun to read

CalgaryLankan
Nov 1, 2010, 6:44 PM
Royal Jordanian is back in town tomorrow, here is the bad news though:

-Arrival at 0315
-Departure at 0415 to Shannon, Ireland

To early for me!

Is this a troops carrier?

Wikipedia under Royal Jordanain says:
The operation of private charter flights using aircraft from the Royal Jordanian fleet is uncommon, but may be arranged if aircraft of Royal Wings, the subsidiary company of Royal Jordanian, cannot meet customer requirements.

It is kind of weird to see Middle Eastern carrier is offering a troops charter service from Shanon to YYC (if that is the case??)

Bigtime
Nov 1, 2010, 6:48 PM
You guys are fun to read

We're quite the avgeeks eh? :)

CorporateWhore
Nov 1, 2010, 7:42 PM
Ha, I come in here once in a while to at least try keep up with what's going on, and it really is like trying to decipher secret gang-speak with you airplane people. I once tried to appear cool and mentioned how I got a chance to fly in an A380....but it didn't even get a whiff of a response, so I took as a sign that I had no idea what cool was.

Bigtime
Nov 1, 2010, 8:10 PM
Ha, I come in here once in a while to at least try keep up with what's going on, and it really is like trying to decipher secret gang-speak with you airplane people. I once tried to appear cool and mentioned how I got a chance to fly in an A380....but it didn't even get a whiff of a response, so I took as a sign that I had no idea what cool was.

Woah wait Corp, you rode in the 'Whale Jet'? What did you think of it?

I'm just hoping to finally see one in person when I head to Frankfurt in January, very good chance of catching a Lufthansa one while there.

CorporateWhore
Nov 1, 2010, 9:14 PM
Yep, got a chance to fly one from JFK to Paris.....my final destination was Naples, so it wasn't even on my radar till I got to the airport, and then it all clicked (Friday night flight, one of their busiest, and it was Air France who I'd seen advertising their A380 but I just assumed I wouldnt be one of the lucky ones). I was pretty excited when I got to my gate and this massive beast stared back.

Flying in it was pretty amazing...this thing doesn't take off, it just sort of floats up without you knowing when it actually leaves ground. It really felt like we were flying in a spaceship from the future....it's hard to describe it, but it definitely made flying a little more special than we are used to these days (and I was in steerage, I can just picture it in first class). Definitely was a great experience....sitting on the runway for 2 hours before it even took off because JFK was backed up, on the other hand, not so great.

Bigtime
Nov 1, 2010, 9:16 PM
Yep, got a chance to fly one from JFK to Paris.....my final destination was Naples, so it wasn't even on my radar till I got to the airport, and then it all clicked (Friday night flight, one of their busiest, and it was Air France who I'd seen advertising their A380 but I just assumed I wouldnt be one of the lucky ones). I was pretty excited when I got to my gate and this massive beast stared back.

Flying in it was pretty amazing...this thing doesn't take off, it just sort of floats up without you knowing when it actually leaves ground. It really felt like we were flying in a spaceship from the future....it's hard to describe it, but it definitely made flying a little more special than we are used to these days (and I was in steerage, I can just picture it in first class). Definitely was a great experience....sitting on the runway for 2 hours before it even took off because JFK was backed up, on the other hand, not so great.

I've heard that whole "it just floats off the ground" description of its takeoff from a few sources now. I really hope I get a chance to fly it someday!

Johnny Aussie
Nov 1, 2010, 10:24 PM
I've heard that whole "it just floats off the ground" description of its takeoff from a few sources now. I really hope I get a chance to fly it someday!

I fly it pretty regularly now (well I like to think so - 3 or 4 trips per year back and forth from MEL-SIN and usually now on the A380 (or 77W)). Each time we have been on SQ upper deck (maybe one day in a Suite! - but cannot justify the additional $5K. J class is $$$ enough but worth it!!!)

Floating is a good way to put it. Kinda glides/floats off the runway and kinda glides/floats on landing too.

Come to Australia and try the QF A380 from LAX! A lot of people in OZ to "try" the A380 fly Emirates to/from Auckland - some very good deals there.

Johnny Aussie
Nov 2, 2010, 1:08 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but looks like we might be picking up even more service to Europe next summer...

www.canadaextra.com

Hope this is all legit. Not sure if this has approval, and all the red-tape cleared yet but interesting anyway...

Looks like a weekly 2-class 743 operated by Air Atlanta Icelandic to LGW/GLA.

Also, flights to YYZ and YVR.

Funny, their picture of the 743 is actually a 742.

Add to that the additional flights to FRA on Condor and Air Transat flights from YYC to Amsterdam and Frankfurt will originate here (ie not from YVR - all YVR flights to AMS / FRA will be non-stop next summer), there should be a significant boost to Europe bound capacity next summer.

Maybe the Red Arrow bus from Edmonton can help fill all these planes up?

Bigtime
Nov 2, 2010, 2:00 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but looks like we might be picking up even more service to Europe next summer...

www.canadaextra.com

Hope this is all legit. Not sure if this has approval, and all the red-tape cleared yet but interesting anyway...

Add to that the additional flights to FRA on Condor and Air Transat flights from YYC to Amsterdam and Frankfurt will originate here (ie not from YVR - all YVR flights to AMS / FRA will be non-stop next summer), there should be a significant boost to Europe bound capacity next summer.

It would be cool to have a pax 747 flying into YYC again, even if it is just for the summer.

Speaking of 747's, Cargolux was outta here this AM to LUX. Apparently the Royal Jordanian flight to Shannon should be leaving soon, WeeinYYC is at the airport I believe to get some shots.

Bigtime
Nov 2, 2010, 2:04 PM
Royal Jordanian has just pushed back from the gate, it will be departing off of 16 so it will be flying south over the city.

CalgaryLankan
Nov 2, 2010, 4:26 PM
Royal Jordanian has just pushed back from the gate, it will be departing off of 16 so it will be flying south over the city.

Hi Bigtime, is this a troops carrier ?

Bigtime
Nov 2, 2010, 4:27 PM
I would assume so.

CalgaryLankan
Nov 2, 2010, 4:41 PM
As reflected in my name, I am born in Sri Lanka and made Canada as my new home since 2001. Srilankan Airline is starting a new domestic air service called Sri Lankan Air Taxi. These 2 twin otters are getting ready at Kenn Borek hanger and planning to leave to Sri Lanka later this month. The aircrafts will be owned and operated by Kenn Borek for Sri Lankan.

If you guys see a twin otter with this special livery, pls try to capture a photo. For me, it will be a special to see a Srilankan aircraft in YYC background.

http://www.srilankan.aero/airtaxi/airtaxi.htm

Bigtime
Nov 2, 2010, 5:02 PM
As reflected in my name, I am born in Sri Lanka and made Canada as my new home since 2001. Srilankan Airline is starting a new domestic air service called Sri Lankan Air Taxi. These 2 twin otters are getting ready at Kenn Borek hanger and planning to leave to Sri Lanka later this month. The aircrafts will be owned and operated by Kenn Borek for Sri Lankan.

If you guys see a twin otter with this special livery, pls try to capture a photo. For me, it will be a special to see a Srilankan aircraft in YYC background.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm sure one of the many YYC spotters will get some shots of the new livery.

tuffyy
Nov 2, 2010, 5:41 PM
HiFly is also due in at 1235 with either a A340 or 763.Another troop charter.

Bigtime
Nov 2, 2010, 6:46 PM
Courtesy of the most hardcore YYC spotter around, Mr. WeeinYYC:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4025/5140522794_b6c8e7463a_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wee_in_yyc/5140522794/)
Taken at 4:43am!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4051/5140527816_b1460e1a7b_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wee_in_yyc/5140527816/)

CalgaryLankan
Nov 2, 2010, 8:21 PM
Wow nice pictures of RJ A310. This guy got up at 4.30 AM to give us a treat..... great

Canadian74
Nov 3, 2010, 2:18 AM

www.canadaextra.com

This isn't legit. It was discussed on A.net a couple of weeks ago.

artvandelay
Nov 3, 2010, 2:39 AM
I'm no aviation expert, but that Royal Jordanian plane is a damn good looking aircraft! Love the red wing tips.

CalgaryLankan
Nov 6, 2010, 11:17 PM
There is a IL 76 at YYC - hopefully WEE-YYC will capture some images. It is leaving at 6:30 PM and Destination is RAF Lyneham.

CalgaryLankan
Nov 6, 2010, 11:31 PM
There is a IL 76 at YYC - hopefully WEE-YYC will capture some images. It is leaving at 6:30 PM and Destination is RAF Lyneham.

Oops. he is a mile ahaed of us at this forum....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wee_in_yyc/5147410315/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wee_in_yyc/5147410315/

Bigtime
Nov 7, 2010, 12:12 AM
Yeah he got its arrival, and I'm pretty sure either him or Clashmaker are waiting for the departure tonight.

Bigtime
Nov 7, 2010, 2:44 AM

Wee got this shot so far of it:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4042/5152912654_09040b0221_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wee_in_yyc/5152912654/in/contacts/)

CalgaryLankan
Nov 7, 2010, 6:56 AM
Wee got this shot so far of it:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4042/5152912654_09040b0221_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wee_in_yyc/5152912654/in/contacts/)

You guys made my day ....thank you Wee and Bigrime - hopefully we will see few more shots

suburb
Nov 8, 2010, 9:24 PM
U.A.E. slaps visas on Canadians
http://www.cbc.ca/politics/story/2010/11/08/canada-uae-visas.html
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2010/11/08/tp-emirates-cp-8820728.jpg

The move is the latest salvo in a growing diplomatic spat between Ottawa and the U.A.E. over airline landing rights at Canadian airports that also saw Canada evicted from a key military base in Dubai.

Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada posted an update to its website that says the visas will be required for tourism and business purposes and can be obtained prior to travel at the U.A.E. Embassy.

Opposition critics have slammed Prime Minister Stephen Harper's Conservative government for its handling of relations with the U.A.E. — a key Mideast trading partner that had provided the Canadians with free use of the once-covert military base known as Camp Mirage to stage operations in Afghanistan.

But Conservative sources told CBC News the Canadian government viewed the U.A.E.'s use of the base as a bargaining chip in its request for Ottawa to grant state carriers Emirates and Etihad more access to Canadian airports as "blackmail." The Canadian military left Camp Mirage last week.

A U.A.E. embassy staff member noted that every U.A.E. citizen has always needed a visa to enter Canada, including diplomats and the embassy's head of staff.
Visa move a 'tit-for-tat thing': Rae

The Conservatives insist the relationship between the two countries remains robust, but Liberal foreign affairs critic Bob Rae said the U.A.E.'s latest move belies the government's line that nothing's wrong.

"It's kind of a tit-for-tat thing that's going on," Rae said Monday during an interview airing on CBC's Power and Politics with Evan Solomon.

"It's obviously an inconvenience for travellers."

A 1999 agreement allows Emirates Airlines and Etihad Airways to fly up to six times a week into Canada. But the U.A.E. government says that with 27,000 Canadians living in that country, and a significant trade relationship — the U.A.E. is Canada's largest trade partner in the Middle East and North Africa — six flights per week are not enough.

Air Canada has objected to any increased service by Emirates Airlines and Etihad Airways to Canadian destinations. It says that in certain areas, such as Dubai, there is very little originating traffic that comes to Canada.

cyeg66
Nov 9, 2010, 3:35 PM
Long story short, who cares? It's an 'inconvenience'. Since when have any aspects of travel been convenient? It's an extra step, big deal. They're sorta shooting themselves in the foot if they think this will in any way encourage more people to fly between the countries as a result of this. Oh wait, that's right. They don't fly b/w Canada and the UAE, and (unimportant) loads and breakeven numbers are not a matter of public record.... I laugh when I read 27000 people and 'significant cargo' demand justifies more than 6 (large planes, too:stunned:) weekly flights. That's like saying Moose Jaw could support 6 flights/wk to anywhere, even with King Airs! Can we stick a fork in this issue. It'll be resolved about as quickly as the Edmonton Muni issue, i.e. never, really. Ok, maybe a few decades before that one :D ...

MonctonGoldenFlames
Nov 9, 2010, 4:16 PM
i was out walking my dog on sunday around 4:30 at bottomlands park, and saw a large, 4 jet aircraft taking off, with all white livery. the night before i saw it come in, with what looked like a flame lit up on the tail. does anybody know what this plan was?

suburb
Nov 9, 2010, 5:10 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/11/08/canada-uae.html
A government source told Evan Solomon of the CBC's Power & Politics that the U.A.E. demanded open access only to Toronto's Pearson airport and that Ottawa responded with an offer of more access to the airports in Calgary and Vancouver.

<snip>

But another source familiar with the negotiations gave a different view, saying that the Canadian government negotiated "in bad faith."

It was interesting to note that flights to Calgary were offered to Emirates. That is actually a good sign from a federal perspective - clearly putting Calgary in the top tier of airports in their eyes.

Of course, Calgary getting flights like these wouldn't help smaller regional airports in Western Canada, as they would have even more people driving directly to the International hub here ;)

Bigtime
Nov 9, 2010, 6:44 PM
It was interesting to note that flights to Calgary were offered to Emirates. That is actually a good sign from a federal perspective - clearly putting Calgary in the top tier of airports in their eyes.

Of course, Calgary getting flights like these wouldn't help smaller regional airports in Western Canada, as they would have even more people driving directly to the International hub here ;)

It has nothing to do with YYC being viewed as a "top tier" airport in Canada (which we already are, #3/4 in the country). It is Emirates trying to sway favour with the province and the city to apply more pressure to the Feds to give in.

We get EK to DUB and we WILL lose some of the following:

-BA
-KLM
-LH
-AC frequency to FRA and LHR

suburb
Nov 9, 2010, 7:34 PM
It is Emirates trying to sway favour with the province and the city to apply more pressure to the Feds to give in.

I don't get you exactly. Emirates rejected coming to Calgary and Vancouver - instead saying that the deal breaker was not getting more access to Toronto. How I read it was that they would have accepted just getting more spots in Toronto - and it was the Feds that offered up Calgary and Vancouver as alternates.

Frankly speaking, if it would be the same number of total flights to Calgary, I'd prefer and extra airliner with an additional direct route, over leaving it the same. If BA and AC drop one flight a week and Emirates takes the two dropped spots, that is better for Calgary.

MalcolmTucker
Nov 9, 2010, 7:55 PM
^ Those long distance passengers (ie people going to India) are much more likely to be high yield passengers. If you grab a handful of them from each and put them on even just 2 Emirates flights a week as per your example, you could end up with much larger drops in European capacity than just the equal amount lost to Emirates.

Airlines run at such small margins it is sometimes worth just breaking even on most of a flight to get those couple big yield passengers. Airline economics is weird in many different ways.

Bigtime
Nov 9, 2010, 8:03 PM
To my knowledge the feds NEVER opened up the possibility of YVR and YYC to EK. EK was always in our media playing up the fact that if they were given more flights they would serve YYC and YVR right away, when in fact all they really want is more access to YYZ.

suburb
Nov 9, 2010, 8:18 PM
To my knowledge the feds NEVER opened up the possibility of YVR and YYC to EK. EK was always in our media playing up the fact that if they were given more flights they would serve YYC and YVR right away, when in fact all they really want is more access to YYZ.

I posted this before but you may not have visited the actual story. Have a read of what is now being reported, including what has been shared by a purported government insider:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/11/08/canada-uae.html

Bigtime
Nov 9, 2010, 8:32 PM
Interesting, but there have been a whole bunch of media pieces where EK employees have been quoted saying they wanted to serve YYC and YVR.

suburb
Nov 9, 2010, 10:32 PM
This might be interesting for those who have been putting the blame on the UAE ...
http://www.cbc.ca/politics/story/2010/11/09/canada-uae-visas.html

A source in Ottawa said negotiations over access to Canadian airports ended badly after Foreign Affairs Minister Lawrence Cannon won an extension of the Camp Mirage lease last June by promising to resolve the dispute. Canada had been using the base rent-free since 2001.

Instead, said the source, Canada offered only to permit one more flight per week to Canada, but not to Toronto, and then followed up with a second offer that "actually involved a capacity cut from the current agreement."

"There was a sense that Canada was insulting the U.A.E. because they had agreed at the ministerial level to try and negotiate a fair deal on air access and then proceeded to offer nothing of value," said the source, who has a commercial relationship with one of the airlines.

Canadian74
Nov 9, 2010, 10:35 PM

The Canadian govt offered UAE 1 flight per week to YYC and 1 flight per week to YVR. This isn't economically feasible, and we all know that. Canadian govt is playing hardball too, you see.
It is also obvious that they would like to get daily slots to YYZ first, before opening up other markets.

3x to YYZ, 1x to YYC, 1x to YVR makes no sense, for any airline, especially on a long haul route.

Bigtime
Nov 9, 2010, 10:39 PM
So we've got them by the short and curlies because we know they have a hard-on for YYZ.

I would also like to know if it is the UAE negotiating for more access to YYZ or EK pulling the strings. They blew it back when they didn't take the 6x offer right away, and instead let Etihad grab 3 of them.

Canadian74
Nov 9, 2010, 10:46 PM
So we've got them by the short and curlies because we know they have a hard-on for YYZ.

I would also like to know if it is the UAE negotiating for more access to YYZ or EK pulling the strings. They blew it back when they didn't take the 6x offer right away, and instead let Etihad grab 3 of them.

The governments negotiate the bilateral, not airlines.
WHY would anyone think that EK would like to open up routes to YYC and YVR BEFORE they can get proper service to YYZ? Isn't it obvious that any airline would like to capture the largest market first.

I am sure EK meant they would start YYC/YVR AFTER they have gained proper access to the Toronto market AND have proper slots for other destinations. Even if they get daily flights to Toronto and 1 flight per week to YYC, they are not going to launch YYC. It is not economically feasible.

Bigtime
Nov 9, 2010, 10:57 PM
I've never believed that EK would serve YYC or YVR before getting YYZ daily at least. That is what their whole ruse of "we want to serve YYC" was all about, getting slots into Canada (airport not specified) and just going with YYZ daily.

I'm very happy with the options we get for intercontinental from YYC, now if we can get YYC-NRT going year round that would be great.

suburb
Nov 9, 2010, 11:13 PM

Ya' gotta give some slack to the UAE. They provided us camp mirage for ZERO rent since 2001. You can't just keep on freeloading on folks like that. And keep in mind we slap visa requirements on any of theirs while all this time they were not requiring ones from us. I think there is a limit to this type of bullying and I'm happy the details are now coming to light. We talk open skies and fairness between airlines pointing out someone or other is getting subsidies, yet turn a blind eye to the fact that just today Air Canada got slapped a $30M fine for price fixing (http://www.ctv.ca/generic/generated/static/business/article1791755.html). They dumping on Emirites is like the pot calling the kettle black.

MonctonGoldenFlames
Nov 9, 2010, 11:13 PM
i was out walking my dog on sunday around 4:30 at bottomlands park, and saw a large, 4 jet aircraft taking off, with all white livery. the night before i saw it come in, with what looked like a flame lit up on the tail. does anybody know what this plan was?

anybody have any info?

Canadian74
Nov 10, 2010, 12:42 AM
anybody have any info?

It was a A340-300 of Hifly, a Portuguese carrier. They were transporting British troops.

cyeg66
Nov 10, 2010, 4:38 PM
I've never believed that EK would serve YYC or YVR before getting YYZ daily at least. That is what their whole ruse of "we want to serve YYC" was all about, getting slots into Canada (airport not specified) and just going with YYZ daily.

I'm very happy with the options we get for intercontinental from YYC, now if we can get YYC-NRT going year round that would be great.

I'm also very skeptical about this drivel of serving YYC. I wouldn't, however, be surprised to hear of EK having discussions with WJ about codeshares to points beyond YYZ, if this were ever permitted. The kicker is that codeshare rights still fall under fed jurisdiction so we'll see if that has any chance at taking off. WJ is turning into Canada's version of Alaska airlines...:yes:

Bigtime
Nov 10, 2010, 4:43 PM
I'm also very skeptical about this drivel of serving YYC. I wouldn't, however, be surprised to hear of EK having discussions with WJ about codeshares to points beyond YYZ, if this were ever permitted. The kicker is that codeshare rights still fall under fed jurisdiction so we'll see if that has any chance at taking off. WJ is turning into Canada's version of Alaska airlines...:yes:

Westjet hates families? ;)

Canadian74
Nov 10, 2010, 5:37 PM
Emirates already has an interline agreement with Air Canada.

bookermorgan
Nov 10, 2010, 6:16 PM

I was at the Airport probably around 3ish that afternoon and saw the hifly/gagnon(?) all white A340 land...

all white though so im gonna say not what you are talking about

cyeg66
Nov 10, 2010, 6:41 PM
Emirates already has an interline agreement with Air Canada.

Yes, but does that qualify as a codeshare, i.e. to mulitple points beyond YYZ? I was sort of doubting that, though I haven't actually combed through any fine print. Besides, these sour grapes may ultimately end that prior arrangement. It seems the ratcheting up has only begun.

MonctonGoldenFlames
Nov 10, 2010, 6:55 PM
I was at the Airport probably around 3ish that afternoon and saw the hifly/gagnon(?) all white A340 land...

all white though so im gonna say not what you are talking about

this plane i saw was all white. at night it has what looks like a flame, lit up on the tail.

Canadian74
Nov 10, 2010, 7:17 PM
Yes, but does that qualify as a codeshare, i.e. to mulitple points beyond YYZ? I was sort of doubting that, though I haven't actually combed through any fine print. Besides, these sour grapes may ultimately end that prior arrangement. It seems the ratcheting up has only begun.

If you go to the Emirates website, you can book YYC-YYZ-DXB or DXB-YYZ-YVR on the same ticket.
You won't see an Air Canada code on the DXB-YYZ-DXB flight though, since it is just an interline agreement, meaning passengers can buy a single ticket to their final destination.

YYCguys
Nov 10, 2010, 7:33 PM

I highly doubt WJ gate agents would give away seats belonging to a family whose baby needed a diaper change prior to boarding, especially if they know about it! :rolleyes: In fact, as a flight attendant, I would much rather have that stinky poopy diaper stay in the airport rather than come on the aircraft! :frog:

Bigtime
Nov 10, 2010, 7:54 PM
I highly doubt WJ gate agents would give away seats belonging to a family whose baby needed a diaper change prior to boarding, especially if they know about it! :rolleyes: In fact, as a flight attendant, I would much rather have that stinky poopy diaper stay in the airport rather than come on the aircraft! :frog:

I beat you to this last page, but I like your style! :tup:

Policy Wonk
Nov 11, 2010, 7:22 AM
You can't codeshare a flight you don't yourself have the rights to operate.

MrBigStuff
Nov 12, 2010, 3:22 AM
Ahh for the good old days - when you could get on any plane and go where you want - when you want and not have to prove that you are not an escaped felon. These are the good old days I miss in aviation. Oh yes, and there were wash rooms on those planes too, and the food was free.

freeweed
Nov 12, 2010, 2:47 PM
Ahh for the good old days - when you could get on any plane and go where you want - when you want and not have to prove that you are not an escaped felon. These are the good old days I miss in aviation. Oh yes, and there were wash rooms on those planes too, and the food was free.

Well, there are washrooms on every jet I've ever been on, and the food was never free - you were paying for it with the cost of your ticket. Personally I'm fine with fasting for a few hours.

Agreed about the security part. I get the thrill of flying to the US next week, and I'm really looking forward to the full body scan again.

Bigtime
Nov 12, 2010, 10:11 PM

Just for you, WeeinYYC captured it today!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4126/5170426430_699e0d208a_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wee_in_yyc/5170426430/in/photostream/)

CalgaryLankan
Nov 12, 2010, 10:50 PM
Just for you, WeeinYYC captured it today!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4126/5170426430_699e0d208a_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wee_in_yyc/5170426430/in/photostream/)

Isn't she beautiful.... thank you & Dave for catching her. They are supposed to ferry this plane across the globe to reach Sri Lanka by Nov 20th. Then they have to remove wheels and fix floats before the service. I was told that they fix ferry tanks inside the plane and fly long distance non-stop. The worst thing seems to be the aircraft is not fitted with a washroom.... (it is 20+ hours of flying time in a commercial jet from here to Colombo).

Once again thank you very much.

CalgaryLankan
Nov 12, 2010, 11:01 PM
Just saw this amazing picture in Flicker....

http://flic.kr/p/2cLHp9

Canadian74
Nov 13, 2010, 9:40 PM
Just saw this amazing picture in Flicker....

http://flic.kr/p/2cLHp9

Nice, nice.

CalgaryLankan
Nov 15, 2010, 6:21 AM
Isn't she beautiful.... thank you & Dave for catching her. They are supposed to ferry this plane across the globe to reach Sri Lanka by Nov 20th. Then they have to remove wheels and fix floats before the service. I was told that they fix ferry tanks inside the plane and fly long distance non-stop. The worst thing seems to be the aircraft is not fitted with a washroom.... (it is 20+ hours of flying time in a commercial jet from here to Colombo).

Once again thank you very much.

As per the info I have the first Srilankan Airtaxi is leaving to Sri Lanka tomorrow middle of the day.

bookermorgan
Nov 15, 2010, 2:18 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1326/5170680420_b12e1ed0e1_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bookermorgan/5170680420/)
C-FBBA (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bookermorgan/5170680420/) by bookermorgan (http://www.flickr.com/people/bookermorgan/), on Flickr

cyeg66
Nov 15, 2010, 9:19 PM
That paintjob only serves to remind me that we Canadians are far too boring and conservative. Wish we could see more A320's or 73G's painted in a similar way on this side of the pond. Add a little flair, you know?

Bigtime
Nov 15, 2010, 9:24 PM
That paintjob only serves to remind me that we Canadians are far too boring and conservative. Wish we could see more A320's or 73G's painted in a similar way on this side of the pond. Add a little flair, you know?

Nope, Euro-white all the way! :( But at least Air Canada gave us flying toothpaste.

MonctonGoldenFlames
Nov 20, 2010, 8:03 PM
i just saw a very large aircraft, being accompanied by 5 smaller (fighter jets?) planes. they were heading from southeast to northwest at an unusual low altitude for the size of plane.

anybody else see this or know how to find out what it was?

Bigtime
Nov 20, 2010, 8:28 PM
Last time something like that overflew YYC it was a KC-10 with F-22 fighters heading to Alaska.

I am jealous you saw this.