PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : Calgary International Airport

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101

AlbertanToo
May 20, 2011, 3:47 PM
Here is a link to the photo of the new ATC tower I took at the Nav Canada Info Session for YYC stakeholders about a month ago...that is likely the best image we have to go on for now.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-E0FPSuxc3yI/TZ5kbDcLc8I/AAAAAAAAAx4/M6dz7l-ndGk/s1600/DSC08343.JPG

Innersoul1
May 20, 2011, 6:15 PM
HAHAHA that is awesome that you got a shot with Armin. He ain't looking so young anymore!

freeweed
May 20, 2011, 9:24 PM
Not looking good for the tunnel. (http://www.calgaryherald.com/Airport+tunnel+demands+would+push+cost+beyond+approved+295M/4818640/story.html)

You Need A Thneed
May 20, 2011, 9:41 PM
Not looking good for the tunnel. (http://www.calgaryherald.com/Airport+tunnel+demands+would+push+cost+beyond+approved+295M/4818640/story.html)

I don't think the interchanges should really be called "massive" though. The main ones are not even full diamond interchanges, but half diamonds.

You Need A Thneed
May 20, 2011, 9:49 PM
double post

Mazrim
May 20, 2011, 11:06 PM
The only thing massive about them is their effect on the negotiations... =\

craner
May 21, 2011, 4:58 AM
^ Well said Mazrim.

At least the extension to 36 St. would get the tunnel built under the runway instead of doing it later at 2 or 3 X the cost. Extensions and expansions can come later when traffic levels warrant. I can't understand why the CAA doesn't seem to want the tunnel. :shrug:

outoftheice
May 21, 2011, 6:50 PM
^ Well said Mazrim.

At least the extension to 36 St. would get the tunnel built under the runway instead of doing it later at 2 or 3 X the cost. Extensions and expansions can come later when traffic levels warrant. I can't understand why the CAA doesn't seem to want the tunnel. :shrug:

It seems to me that it is because they realize what a large number of Calgarians still don't get... This tunnel is the key into opening a major east-west corridor in north Calgary. The CAA has said that their traffic projections have shown that critical intersections will reach failure at day one because of traffic volume. They know what the nay-sayers on council are still trying to deny; that Calgary needs this tunnel and that Airport Trail will become a well used road. I think they want to try and keep that traffic as far away from the terminal as possible so they can tell people 'the Calgary Airport has incredible access... is that darned Country Hills Blvd and Deerfoot Trail that's the problem and those are out of our control'.

MichaelS
May 22, 2011, 3:16 PM
It seems to me that it is because they realize what a large number of Calgarians still don't get... This tunnel is the key into opening a major east-west corridor in north Calgary. The CAA has said that their traffic projections have shown that critical intersections will reach failure at day one because of traffic volume. They know what the nay-sayers on council are still trying to deny; that Calgary needs this tunnel and that Airport Trail will become a well used road. I think they want to try and keep that traffic as far away from the terminal as possible so they can tell people 'the Calgary Airport has incredible access... is that darned Country Hills Blvd and Deerfoot Trail that's the problem and those are out of our control'.

The City's transportation models (and those of the consultants they hired) showed that the intersections would not reach failure for some time. And when they did, they would be upgraded as needed. The suggestion was made to have an independant 3rd party review both The City's traffic projections and the airport's projections to see why there was such a discrepancy, but the airport authority refused to share their data.

eggbert
May 27, 2011, 11:32 PM
Just heard on CTV news that the airport tunnel is officially going ahead.

More here:
http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110527/CGY_airport_deal_110527/20110527/?hub=CalgaryHome

suburb
May 28, 2011, 3:53 AM
Yup - looks like it is official.

Press release (http://www.calgaryairport.com/Default.aspx?cid=864&lang=1)
THE CALGARY AIRPORT AUTHORITY RESPONDS TO CITY COUNCIL’S FINAL PROPOSAL FOR THE AIRPORT TRAIL EAST EXTENSION AND TUNNEL PROJECT

Calgary, AB. – Following years of discussions, and after careful consideration, The Calgary Airport Authority has agreed to move forward with completion of a final legal Agreement based on the proposal presented by City Council on May 20, 2011. The City and the Authority have established a target date of June 13th for final completion of the Agreement.

Following successful finalization of the Agreement, the City and Airport Authority will move quickly to begin integration of the tunnel construction into the Authority’s $2 billion Airport Development Program, to ensure that the expansion underway at Calgary International Airport will continue on schedule and without interruption.

The Airport Authority appreciates the effort that was put forward by all parties throughout the discussions and will continue to work closely with the City of Calgary as we move forward.

For more information, contact:

Jody Moseley
Director, Corporate Communications and Marketing
The Calgary Airport Authority
Blackberry: 403.807.9143
jodym@yyc.com

Bigtime
May 30, 2011, 4:27 PM
Pretty cool morning at YYC for departures. We had a Korean Airlines Cargo 747 depart to Kansai, and then about 20 minutes later we got the Antonov 124 departing to Anchorage.

I'm wondering about these Korean Cargo flights to Japan, they seem to be coming out of Houston, stop in Calgary, and then depart direct to Japan. I wonder if the flights are related to the earthquake rebuilding over there?

Stang
May 30, 2011, 5:01 PM
I'm wondering about these Korean Cargo flights to Japan, they seem to be coming out of Houston, stop in Calgary, and then depart direct to Japan. I wonder if the flights are related to the earthquake rebuilding over there?

Is there a logistical/practical reason why they'd stop at Calgary as opposed to somewhere more directly enroute?

DIESEL
May 30, 2011, 5:03 PM
Did anyone manage to catch the Antonov124 arrive from IAH, or depart to ANC this morning???

You Need A Thneed
May 30, 2011, 5:04 PM
Is there a logistical/practical reason why they'd stop at Calgary as opposed to somewhere more directly enroute?

Calgary appears to be pretty close to directly along the route from Houston to Korea. Probably the closest major city to the route until it crosses the date line. (unless you call anchorage a major city)

Bigtime
May 30, 2011, 5:06 PM
Did anyone manage to catch the Antonov124 arrive from IAH, or depart to ANC this morning???

I saw the departure, but didn't bring my camera to work because I figured (correctly) that the sun would be right in my shot. It was awesome to watch it takeoff, the vodka burner!

Bigtime
May 30, 2011, 5:07 PM
Calgary appears to be pretty close to directly along the route from Houston to Korea.

It's interesting for sure, because there have been about 3 or 4 flights now that have done this. Just odd that they wouldn't make their fuel stop in Anchorage, there must be a reason why they are using YYC. Also note that these flights are NOT going to Korea, but instead have been going YYC-Japan.

Stang
May 30, 2011, 5:14 PM
Calgary appears to be pretty close to directly along the route from Houston to Korea.

Japan is a bit further south than Korea though - do commercial flights from, for example, Los Angeles, to Japan arc that far North and come down over Korea as well? I always assumed, probably incorrectly, that a flight to Japan would be pretty much all water.

You Need A Thneed
May 30, 2011, 5:23 PM
Route calculator, based on shortest distance. (http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm)

Bigtime
May 30, 2011, 5:44 PM
Great circle mapper of the route to the destination in Japan today from both YYC and Houston:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=RJfr-cyyc%0D%0Arjfr-hou&MS=wls&DU=mi

mersar
May 30, 2011, 6:52 PM
Great circle mapper of the route to the destination in Japan today from both YYC and Houston:

And if you add Houston to the end of the RJFR-YYC trip, it shows that going to Calgary only adds about 30 miles to the trip.

Bigtime
May 30, 2011, 6:53 PM
Yup, so there was definitely a reason that wasn't about fuel for the stop in YYC.

freeweed
May 30, 2011, 6:55 PM

Heh. I was JUST doing that as you posted. Never knew about that site, normally I'd use Google Earth but @ work I'm stuck with flat mapping.

YYC is pretty much "on the way". Sea-Tac or Vancouver would work too - but I bet the fuel here is marginally cheaper. And our airport isn't quite as busy.

Great circles are awesome and fairly non-intuitive for most peple. It's why I was able to see both Greenland and Iceland when I flew to England. Many people told me I was crazy until I showed them on a globe with a piece of string.

Bigtime
May 30, 2011, 7:11 PM
YYC is pretty much "on the way". Sea-Tac or Vancouver would work too - but I bet the fuel here is marginally cheaper. And our airport isn't quite as busy.

But as Mersar pointed out the flight from HOU-YYC-Japan today is only 27 miles longer than doing the HOU-Japan flight direct. So it can't be a fuel stop.

freeweed
May 30, 2011, 7:17 PM
But as Mersar pointed out the flight from HOU-YYC-Japan today is only 27 miles longer than doing the HOU-Japan flight direct. So it can't be a fuel stop.

Err, still not getting it. Do you mean that YYC-Japan is only 27 miles longer than HOU-Japan? If the entire flight (including the stop in YYC) is similar to the direct flight, perhaps the plane can't do the direct flight on a single tank?

Bigtime
May 30, 2011, 7:21 PM
Err, still not getting it. Do you mean that YYC-Japan is only 27 miles longer than HOU-Japan? If the entire flight (including the stop in YYC) is similar to the direct flight, perhaps the plane can't do the direct flight on a single tank?

You are correct, the flight from Houston to Kyushu, Japan is 27 miles shorter than flying Houston-Calgary-Kyushu. If they are that close to the edge on their range with fuel I would doubt the fuel stop would be made in YYC.

I could be wrong though.

Stang
May 30, 2011, 7:26 PM
Well colour me somewhat surprised. Thanks for posting all of those maps. I didn't expect both routes to be so close to one another.

freeweed
May 30, 2011, 8:34 PM
You are correct, the flight from Houston to Kyushu, Japan is 27 miles shorter than flying Houston-Calgary-Kyushu. If they are that close to the edge on their range with fuel I would doubt the fuel stop would be made in YYC.

I could be wrong though.

Houston to Japan - 7122 miles. Calgary to Japan - 5379 miles. Maybe the plane can only go 6-7000 miles? I admit I'm fairly clueless in terms of what sort of safety margin they keep with long-haul planes.

Bigtime
May 30, 2011, 8:38 PM
Oh god I'm stupid. Disregard everything I said before, still odd that they'd make the fuel stop in another country versus keeping it in the states though. However Korean is familiar with YYC, they have operated scheduled cargo flights here in the past plus the summer charter flights.

suburb
May 30, 2011, 10:18 PM
Oh god I'm stupid. Disregard everything I said before, still odd that they'd make the fuel stop in another country versus keeping it in the states though. However Korean is familiar with YYC, they have operated scheduled cargo flights here in the past plus the summer charter flights.

Maybe plane fuel is cheaper here. I recall that used to be the case years ago.

magnetite
May 31, 2011, 6:53 AM

I checked Flightstats. I know the bigger An-225 occasionally goes to Edmonton, and maybe with the new runway supporting the A380 (when approved for flights), that Antonov Airlines will bring the An-225 here.

KrisYYC
May 31, 2011, 9:04 AM
KLM was an MD-11 today and should be for the next couple of months.

Also heads up AC's LHR flight will be operated by 777-300ER starting June 1st until the end of Sept.

Some nice widebody variety for the summer at least. I'm almost getting sick of A330's :cool:

Bigtime
May 31, 2011, 1:00 PM
KLM was an MD-11 today and should be for the next couple of months.

Are you sure about that? There was a KL MD-11 that departed yesterday, but it was the YVR-AMS flight that diverted here for some reason.

Bigtime
May 31, 2011, 1:26 PM
All Air Canada Jazz planes will be repainted into the Air Canada Express colours by 2016.

Stang
May 31, 2011, 3:27 PM
All Air Canada Jazz planes will be repainted into the Air Canada Express colours by 2016.

I always found the Jazz livery to be quite tacky. It was dated before it went onto its first plane.

freeweed
May 31, 2011, 3:29 PM
I hate, and I mean HATE, Air Canada's new colour scheme. It's so .. lame. It's like they're trying to fade into the background literally as well as in the business operations sense.

Sky blue on an object that ... flies in the sky. Brilliant!

MalcolmTucker
May 31, 2011, 3:37 PM
I checked Flightstats. I know the bigger An-225 occasionally goes to Edmonton, and maybe with the new runway supporting the A380 (when approved for flights), that Antonov Airlines will bring the An-225 here.
Goes to Edmonton for military airlifts me thinks, so unless we all of a sudden develop a lot of new outsize cargo business, I doubt we will ever see a similar number of flights.

Stang
May 31, 2011, 3:38 PM
I hate, and I mean HATE, Air Canada's new colour scheme. It's so .. lame. It's like they're trying to fade into the background literally as well as in the business operations sense.

Sky blue on an object that ... flies in the sky. Brilliant!

I was partial to the white with dark green tail for the main fleet. Simple, but very clean. The sky-blue-mint paint job isn't my favourite either, to be honest.

It really is a shame that we didn't have longer to enjoy the Canadian Airlines "goose" design - I always thought that was quite clever:

http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00.00.03.48.91/550154.jpg

Bigtime
May 31, 2011, 3:53 PM
Goes to Edmonton for military airlifts me thinks, so unless we all of a sudden develop a lot of new outsize cargo business, I doubt we will ever see a similar number of flights.

How many times has the 225 been to YEG? It was there last summer and I thought that was the first time.

Bigtime
May 31, 2011, 4:26 PM
Just a heads up for everyone, the AC LHR flight has now switched to the 777-300ER (77W) for the summer. Nice to see a 777 back in YYC! First flight is on its way from LHR right now.

Canadian74
May 31, 2011, 4:50 PM
Are you sure about that? There was a KL MD-11 that departed yesterday, but it was the YVR-AMS flight that diverted here for some reason.

AMS-YYC switches to MD-11 from June 12 and will remain so until the end of August.

Bigtime
May 31, 2011, 4:56 PM
So that's the date of the switch, kept forgetting. Thanks!

Edit: Cargolux 744 in from SEA today around 1501.

DIESEL
May 31, 2011, 5:21 PM
Where do I have to go to see the 747?? Is the spotting area for runway 16 still open? Im in a Honda Accord, and dont know if I can go along the dirt road. Can someone tell me where I could get a nice photo of this 747?

Thanks!

Bigtime
May 31, 2011, 5:30 PM
Where do I have to go to see the 747?? Is the spotting area for runway 16 still open? Im in a Honda Accord, and dont know if I can go along the dirt road. Can someone tell me where I could get a nice photo of this 747?

Thanks!

It's been a long time since I've been up around the dirt road for 16 (and with the winds that looks to be the runway they will use).

You could always go to the area where Purolator, FedEx, and UPS are and drive into the field there, north of the control tower for a nice look at it on the rollout.

DIESEL
May 31, 2011, 5:34 PM
It's been a long time since I've been up around the dirt road for 16 (and with the winds that looks to be the runway they will use).

You could always go to the area where Purolator, FedEx, and UPS are and drive into the field there, north of the control tower for a nice look at it on the rollout.

Do I need a stepup ladder? I only have a 250mm lens, will this do? Could someone provide me with directions as I am unaware of this area?

Thanks!

Innersoul1
May 31, 2011, 5:34 PM
I was partial to the white with dark green tail for the main fleet. Simple, but very clean. The sky-blue-mint paint job isn't my favourite either, to be honest.

It really is a shame that we didn't have longer to enjoy the Canadian Airlines "goose" design - I always thought that was quite clever:

http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00.00.03.48.91/550154.jpg

The green and white tail is what I call the Celine Dion Livery.

Bigtime
May 31, 2011, 5:41 PM
Do I need a stepup ladder? I only have a 250mm lens, will this do? Could someone provide me with directions as I am unaware of this area?

Thanks!

-Take Deerfoot
-Exit east onto 64th avenue
-left at 11th St
-follow the road up until you have to turn right at Aero Gate
-right turn at Aero Road
-just follow that road until you pass the UPS building and can exit onto the open field.

You would probably need a step ladder, or if you stand on your trunk it should do the trick. 250mm should work out ok from there.

DIESEL
May 31, 2011, 5:42 PM
-Take Deerfoot
-Exit east onto 64th avenue
-left at 11th St
-follow the road up until you have to turn right at Aero Gate
-right turn at Aero Road
-just follow that road until you pass the UPS building and can exit onto the open field.

You would probably need a step ladder, or if you stand on your trunk it should do the trick. 250mm should work out ok from there.

Thank You!!!

DIESEL
May 31, 2011, 5:45 PM
Im going to be at YYC, and I dont have a scanner, does anyone think they could text me if there are any changes in the runway they use?? (403.988.9728)

Thanks!

Bigtime
May 31, 2011, 5:51 PM
Im going to be at YYC, and I dont have a scanner, does anyone think they could text me if there are any changes in the runway they use?? (403.988.9728)

Thanks!

I'll keep my eyes and ears open and let you know. :tup:

KrisYYC
May 31, 2011, 6:23 PM

My bad, I saw the MD-11 and just assumed the switch had started. I couldn't remember the date when it was supposed to happen.

Mazrim
May 31, 2011, 6:24 PM
Also heads up AC's LHR flight will be operated by 777-300ER starting June 1st until the end of Sept.

Just a heads up for everyone, the AC LHR flight has now switched to the 777-300ER (77W) for the summer.

:sly::sly::sly:

EDIT: Not bashing anyone, just noticing the similarity...heh.

Bigtime
May 31, 2011, 6:24 PM
My bad, I saw the MD-11 and just assumed the switch had started. I couldn't remember the date when it was supposed to happen.

I was at home and on the balcony with Littletime, first we saw the KFC DC-10 depart, and then a while later you get another three-holer, it was awesome to see. Can't wait for the regular flight with it from KL.

Bigtime
May 31, 2011, 6:26 PM
:sly::sly::sly:

Flightaware is showing it as the 77W today:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ACA851

Could be a glitch, Flightaware does have some bugs. Like showing the BA flight as a 767-400 (even though they don't have any).

Mazrim
May 31, 2011, 6:27 PM
No, I wasn't mentioning that lol. I was just noticing how you repeated the same thing he did.

Bigtime
May 31, 2011, 6:29 PM
Oh, yeah that is pretty funny! But it does look like they started using the 77W a day early.

bookermorgan
May 31, 2011, 6:34 PM
Dirt Lot on my YYC spotting map

http://goo.gl/maps/Rwyf

KrisYYC
May 31, 2011, 6:37 PM
I was at home and on the balcony with Littletime, first we saw the KFC DC-10 depart, and then a while later you get another three-holer, it was awesome to see. Can't wait for the regular flight with it from KL.

Indeed. I've actually never flown on a three-holer so I'm debating about doing a quick non-rev trip on KL this summer for the sole purpose of getting a rip on an MD-11 before they're gone :D

Bigtime
May 31, 2011, 6:39 PM
Indeed. I've actually never flown on a three-holer so I'm debating about doing a quick non-rev trip on KL this summer for the sole purpose of getting a rip on an MD-11 before they're gone :D

That would be cool, I believe as a young child I flew on a CP DC-10. Plus I flew the AC 727's a few times.

MalcolmTucker
May 31, 2011, 7:21 PM
Transat L1011 and a mainline, either Canadian or AC to Hawaii DC-10 for me.

Bigtime
May 31, 2011, 7:23 PM
I definitely did the AC L1011 also, still one of my all time favorite birds.

freeweed
May 31, 2011, 8:10 PM
Three-holer. *giggle*

Yes, I'm THAT immature.

KrisYYC
May 31, 2011, 9:17 PM
Oh, yeah that is pretty funny! But it does look like they started using the 77W a day early.

Flightaware must be mistaken. I just checked the company intranet and 851/850 is operated by fin # 932 (A330-300) today.

Tommorrow is fin # 735 (777-300ER) :cool:

Bigtime
May 31, 2011, 9:22 PM
Damn Flightaware, get your crap together!

Bigtime
May 31, 2011, 9:47 PM
Flightaware must be mistaken. I just checked the company intranet and 851/850 is operated by fin # 932 (A330-300) today.

Tommorrow is fin # 735 (777-300ER) :cool:

Disregard.

cyeg66
May 31, 2011, 10:41 PM
KLM MD-11 YVR-AMS dumped fuel, diverted to YYC with a medical emerg on board. He joined final 16 right behind Purolator's DC-10. I thought for sure one of you guys would've spotted that. :cheers:

As for ACA's 77W, coulda sworn the LHR flight landed in this last hour and it was still the A333. I thought it was supposed to be starting tomorrrow, unless there's a 77W on the tarmac that was ferried in earlier in the day. Guess I'll see when it departs for EGLL...:tup:

edit: Oops. Forgot to FF to the last page (you guys have been busy in my absence). I see you've spotted the error.

MalcolmTucker
May 31, 2011, 11:18 PM
^ So, is there a designated fuel dump grid, or if they are high enough up it all evaporates?

Bigtime
Jun 1, 2011, 1:20 PM
Oh Antonov 124, you cause all sorts of hijinks when you come to town:

ADB 2854, an AN-124 operated by the Antonov Design Bureau, taxied to position on Runway 16 at Calgary at 1303z and then required 4 minutes in position before departure. WJA 209, a WestJet B737-700, was overshot by Tower at 1 mile final to Runway 16.

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/cadors-screaq/rpt.aspx?lang=eng&rptcads=2011C1780&cads=&occdtefrom=2011-05-30&occdteto=2011-06-01&srchfldcd=1&txt=cyyc&srchtype=1

Mazrim
Jun 1, 2011, 3:14 PM
^ So, is there a designated fuel dump grid, or if they are high enough up it all evaporates?

I was wondering the same thing...how much are they allowed to dump, and where does it all go?

Bigtime
Jun 1, 2011, 3:23 PM
Above a certain altitude (changes with conditions) the fuel should dissipate before reaching the ground.

As for how much they are allowed to dump, that would be how much weight they need to lose to land safely. As long as they are under their maximum landing weight they should be fine. Landing over that will probably require a maintenance inspection of the landing gears and other parts of the aircraft that could have been overstressed by an overweight landing.

I was on a Skyservice 757 coming back from Cancun to Calgary. We had a medical emergency onboard and had to divert to Oklahoma city. The insurance company apparently told the pilots to get on the ground asap, and since the 757 is incapable of dumping fuel we performed an overweight landing in OKC. This required them to get a mechanic certified in the 757 to inspect the aircraft before it could fly again. Needless to say Skyservice had to fly in another plane to pick us up and continue the trip back to Calgary.

Edit: A common misconception that a lot of the public has is that all airliners can dump fuel. This is not the case, it is usually only the "heavies" that have the fuel jettison abilities. Even some of these can sometimes be ordered without it (767, A330).

Here's a fuel dump happening on an A340-600:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cf/FuelDumpA340-600.JPG/797px-FuelDumpA340-600.JPG
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FuelDumpA340-600.JPG

AlbertanToo
Jun 1, 2011, 4:21 PM
I was out BBQing on Monday night when the KFC DC-10 was rolling to final for 16. It seemed like it was doing a hurried approach as they had the flaps full and the gear down over Airdrie...I missed the chance to get a photo of that but I figured I would get my camera to catch the next arrival...seconds later I see the KLM MD-11 burning in...that was awesome! I can't think of the last time I saw a DC-10 and an MD-11 on final sequentially! I did get a photo of the MD-11...problem is I don't know how to post the photo without linking to it on here. I live at the very south end of Airdrie and we have an incredible vantage point for the action when they are landing 16 and 10 like they do so many evenings.

AlbertanToo
Jun 1, 2011, 4:23 PM
To heck with it...here is the public link to the photo on Facebook. The MD-11 shots are at the very end. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.424454081479.217016.735556479&l=f920abd4a2

Bigtime
Jun 1, 2011, 4:26 PM
Flaps and gear down over Airdrie is nothing unusual. I know that the KLM MD-11 was diverting here for a medical emergency, but the pilots of the KFC DC-10 would not increase approach speed because of that. A stabilized approach is KEY for airliners, unless they had briefed to increase approach speed on final they probably did not.

The good news is with KLM starting MD-11 services here in June we'll get more chances to see it.

AlbertanToo
Jun 1, 2011, 5:25 PM
I am so glad to see the MD-11 while we still can...I remember the first time I saw it at YYC back in the mid 90's. I love the look of the third, tail mounted engine.

I did manage to fly in the DC-10 on a NWA flight from MCO-MSP which was very nice. That was my one and only experience with a wide body flight.

cyeg66
Jun 1, 2011, 5:42 PM
Yeah, the DC10 was at 20000' with about 30 flying miles so the pilots actually did a good job getting it down. I was talking to the KLM and I was beginning to think I'd have to slow him down but the DC-10 was finally able to turn in. Worked out swell.

--I see ACA's 77W inbound from LHR today. Albertantoo, have your camera ready if 16's active.....

AlbertanToo
Jun 1, 2011, 5:50 PM
Thanks CYEG66 !!! I work at the airport and always bring it with me to work! I figure it will be making the approach about 1500 local ...does that sound about right?

AlbertanToo
Jun 1, 2011, 9:31 PM
I got some shots of ACA851 landing! Thanks for the suggestion CYEG66!! I will add these photos to the ones on my Facebook link I posted earlier, tonight.

DIESEL
Jun 2, 2011, 4:55 PM
Anything new and exciting going on? :P Any new/special arrivals coming in within the next week?

BobTheBuilder
Jun 2, 2011, 6:05 PM
Hey ...just a question. I was searching for flights from Calgary to Hong Kong and then I come across this site on Air Canada.
http://www.aircanada.com/en/flights/Hong-Kong-to-Calgary.html
on this link it says:
"Air Canada offers direct flights between Hong Kong and Calgary "

is this something that is bogus? cause I looked on the AC timetable and can't seem to see this existing.

MalcolmTucker
Jun 2, 2011, 6:09 PM
It may be direct, but it would stop in Vancouver no?

DIESEL
Jun 2, 2011, 6:10 PM
Hey ...just a question. I was searching for flights from Calgary to Hong Kong and then I come across this site on Air Canada.
http://www.aircanada.com/en/flights/Hong-Kong-to-Calgary.html
on this link it says:
"Air Canada offers direct flights between Hong Kong and Calgary "

is this something that is bogus? cause I looked on the AC timetable and can't seem to see this existing.

A direct flight in the aviation industry is any flight between two points by an airline with no change in flight numbers, which may include a stop over at an intermediate point. This stopover being YVR. If it were a non stop flight it would be HongKong-Calgary.

BobTheBuilder
Jun 2, 2011, 6:21 PM
A direct flight in the aviation industry is any flight between two points by an airline with no change in flight numbers, which may include a stop over at an intermediate point. This stopover being YVR. If it were a non stop flight it would be HongKong-Calgary.

oopps!
thanks! :shrug:

Blader
Jun 3, 2011, 12:06 AM
:previous:

In spite of the definition of a direct flight provided by others I can find no such service between Calgary and Hong Kong. Checking AC press releases for 2011 yields nothing. I'm curious how you navigated to your quoted link because I cannot get that page starting fresh on the AC website. Yet that page exists.:shrug:

Bigtime
Jun 3, 2011, 1:14 PM
:previous:

In spite of the definition of a direct flight provided by others I can find no such service between Calgary and Hong Kong. Checking AC press releases for 2011 yields nothing. I'm curious how you navigated to your quoted link because I cannot get that page starting fresh on the AC website. Yet that page exists.:shrug:

It is odd, because the flights provided when you search the YYC-HKG do not operate under the same flight number from YYC-YVR and then YVR-HKG. The perfect direct flight example for us is AC's service from YYZ to NRT that stops here in Calgary, so from YYZ it is a direct (not non-stop) flight to NRT, with the stop in YYC.

MalcolmTucker
Jun 3, 2011, 1:18 PM
They may be stretching the truth here, perhaps by offering one flight a year that meets the strict definition! They also claim to offer such service to Edmonton (http://www.aircanada.com/en/flights/Hong-Kong-to-Edmonton.html).

Bigtime
Jun 3, 2011, 1:59 PM
Anyone know if the 757 with United is going to be a regular visitor into YYC?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3434/5792062695_7b373bbc52_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/munchyyc/5792062695/)
United - Boeing 757-222 (N501UA) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/munchyyc/5792062695/) by MunchYYC (http://www.flickr.com/people/munchyyc/), on Flickr

A nice head-on shot of the 77W yesterday:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2018/5792619436_fd4687bc9f_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/munchyyc/5792619436/)
Air Canada - Boeing 777-333ER (C-FITW) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/munchyyc/5792619436/) by MunchYYC (http://www.flickr.com/people/munchyyc/), on Flickr

YYCguys
Jun 3, 2011, 4:12 PM
^ The shot of the AC 777 with the WS 737 in the background is super cool! Thanks for posting!

Blader
Jun 3, 2011, 4:24 PM
They may be stretching the truth here, perhaps by offering one flight a year that meets the strict definition! They also claim to offer such service to Edmonton (http://www.aircanada.com/en/flights/Hong-Kong-to-Edmonton.html).

Although not impossible, I doubt that. Rather, I think it is a honest mistake.

To beat a dead horse and possibly only of interest to me, I finally was successful at navigating to the page linked by BobtheBuilder. It was very convoluted.

I went to:
http://www.aircanada.com/en/home.html
o - Paged to the bottom and at the bottom right I selected 'site map'
o - Paged down to 'Our Most Popular Routes' and under 'Flights from international locations' selected 'Hong Kong to Calgary'.

It's doubtful many people would ever click on site map when planning to book a flight.

I have reported the erroneous page(s) to Air Canada.

Bigtime
Jun 3, 2011, 4:26 PM
All credit to MunchYYC, who took the photos. I just linked them over from his Flickr account.

Johnny Aussie
Jun 8, 2011, 4:38 AM
AC to fly daily to Hawaii this winter.

Looks like OGG being bumped up to 5 x weekly (x4,7) and HNL will remain 2 weekly (4,7 only). This is an increase of 1 weekly flight for YYC-Hawaii compared to last winter.

WS is selling all Alberta-Maui/Honolulu via YVR for the time being. Not sure what they have planned for Hawaii winter 2011/12?

Bigtime
Jun 8, 2011, 12:53 PM
Great to see the YYC-Hawaii service increasing. I'm not at all surprised to see the bump occuring on the flight to OGG, Maui seems to be the island that most I talk to have been to and want to return to.

I wonder if we could eventually see the Hawaii service operate year round? Not with the same frequency as in the winter though.

As for WS, I guess the question is how did the wet-leased 757 work out for them? There were definitely a few flights that had mechanical delays and cost passengers at least a full day of their vacation, an image that I'm sure WS would like to avoid at all costs in the future.

Bigtime
Jun 8, 2011, 1:42 PM
Caught the AC 77W banking to the northeast after departing off of 16 last night, taken from my balcony:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5182/5810442962_565bedab5a_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigtimeaa/5810442962/)
77W turning east (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigtimeaa/5810442962/) by BigtimeAa (http://www.flickr.com/people/bigtimeaa/), on Flickr

Love that wing flex.

Cage
Jun 8, 2011, 5:12 PM
Great to see the YYC-Hawaii service increasing. I'm not at all surprised to see the bump occuring on the flight to OGG, Maui seems to be the island that most I talk to have been to and want to return to.

I wonder if we could eventually see the Hawaii service operate year round? Not with the same frequency as in the winter though.

As for WS, I guess the question is how did the wet-leased 757 work out for them? There were definitely a few flights that had mechanical delays and cost passengers at least a full day of their vacation, an image that I'm sure WS would like to avoid at all costs in the future.

There is no chance that AC would operate the 767 service to OGG and HNL year round. The 767 aircraft fly to Europe in the summer season. What is more likely is a return of 767 second aircraft flight on YYC-LHR. This second daily would be an all economy 767.

With regard to Westjet, unsure how the 757 service will work. The servicer was short lived and not well likely by some Westjet inflight staff (Americans taking away Canadian jobs).

cyeg66
Jun 8, 2011, 10:41 PM
A couple interesting spottings on the ol' YYC radar today. A Qatar Airways A342 landed on 16 at about 3:45 pm while at the same time, a BOE503+ (B748) was flying overhead at FL400 southbound for Moses Lake.:tup:

Bigtime
Jun 8, 2011, 10:55 PM
The word is WeeinYYC and another spotter got some shots of the Qatari bird. I've asked a guy on a.net that mentioned the flight if they have a departure time.

If you hear anything cyeg66 could you pass it along? I'd love to get a couple of shots if possible.

Mazrim
Jun 8, 2011, 11:03 PM
Forgive me for my lack of airplane knowledge, but are 4 engine jets fairly common going in and out of YYC? I assume we mostly get 737s and the like.

I was at Deerfoot Meadows at ~1:45 this afternoon and saw a 4 engine jet heading to the South. It looked like the tail logo was blue with yellow. Any ideas? Is it related to this Qatar airline plane?

MalcolmTucker
Jun 8, 2011, 11:12 PM
^ Was there a british military charter today?

bbeliko
Jun 8, 2011, 11:13 PM
Forgive me for my lack of airplane knowledge, but are 4 engine jets fairly common going in and out of YYC? I assume we mostly get 737s and the like.

I was at Deerfoot Meadows at ~1:45 this afternoon and saw a 4 engine jet heading to the South. It looked like the tail logo was blue with yellow. Any ideas? Is it related to this Qatar airline plane?

I'm fairly positive it's a Lufthansa A340.
http://www.luftfahrt.net/galerie/photos/2003/9/1046421362_D-AIBD_Airbus-A340-211_Lufthansa.jpg

http://www.luftfahrt.net/galerie/showpix.php?id=9987

Bigtime
Jun 8, 2011, 11:16 PM

Definitely the Lufthansa A340 flight back to Frankfurt.

4 engine jets are common at YYC just because of the Lufthansa flight, but we also get Cargolux 747's and the odd other 4 engine jet coming through here. Best of the bunch would be the RAF VC-10's, haven't seen any yet this year though.

Mazrim
Jun 8, 2011, 11:19 PM
Thanks guys, that answered my question!