PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117

MegaBass
Jan 28, 2014, 3:15 AM
Valley’s 4th Postino to open next to ASU campus this fall (http://mouthbysouthwest.com/2014/01/27/valleys-4th-postino-to-open-next-to-asu-campus-this-fall/)

Postino will open its fourth Valley location – and second straight in the East Valley – next to ASU this fall in the Art Annex Building on College Avenue between Sixth and Seventh streets.

Postino Tempe will take over the north side of the ASU-owned property, according to New Times. It will have the same menu as the other locations.

It’ll be familiar territory for Postino founders Craig and Kris DeMarco, as well as business partners Wyatt and Lauren Bailey, all of whom attended ASU.

Postino’s most recent location opened in Gilbert in March 2012.

rocksteady
Jan 28, 2014, 4:04 AM
Valley’s 4th Postino to open next to ASU campus this fall (http://mouthbysouthwest.com/2014/01/27/valleys-4th-postino-to-open-next-to-asu-campus-this-fall/)

Nice addition to the area with all new jobs coming soon. Not the typical college bar/restaurant the area is filled with and always solid with business.

Jjs5056
Jan 28, 2014, 4:08 AM
While this office will help the Playa del Norte development aesthetically by blocking Grigio, adding height, filling a dirt lot, filling in land near the lake, etc., it's being built in a very suburban and auto-oriented area. It's great that PDN includes residential options, but it's certainly not ideal. There is a traffic analysis included in the PDF, but that portion of Rural is a cluster. I can't imagine rush hour with an office space, and/or when someone finally develops the northwest land. Maybe we'll get ferry commuting? ;)

HFL3 has stalled, and the trend seems to be more and more offices out in suburban locations. ASU Research Park and Discovery Camous each have a building under construction, and Fointainhead has several 10-12 buildings in planning. Even Marina Heights, sans streetcar is fairly suburban and auto-centric (though, hopefully that streetcar gets here quickly!). I think it would be great to see taller offices down University, with mid or high rise development following on east and west of Mill.

USA Place at least is bringing in all the right pieces; I just hope it gets built as proposed. I smell a CityScape with that one, but optimistic for now. No light rail access, but the walk is manageable and biking or taking the bus is definitely an option. The residential better not get cut.

Jjs5056
Jan 28, 2014, 4:14 AM

Awesome! Glad to see College getting a mix of some more 'upscale' options so it integrates beyond the campus into downtown. Now, for some nice market rate apartments on one of the many lots between there and Mill.

alexico
Jan 28, 2014, 4:30 AM
Nice addition to the area with all new jobs coming soon. Not the typical college bar/restaurant the area is filled with and always solid with business.

As a 30 yr old who lives in tempe I welcome it! :cheers:

isnt the yard aka culinary drop out supposed to open in tempe soon too? by th railyards?

Spitfiredude
Jan 28, 2014, 6:00 AM
You will probably never see a development in the Valley built without parking. No one drives more anywhere else, but here in Phoenix. It would not make sense or be ideal to have no parking. Since its not a high end project being built (like State Farm or USA Place), its cheaper to put the parking above ground. I'm just satisfied that there will be height and its another proposal.

Just a note, I saw some Hanover construction workers disputing labor rights of the Hanover Co. on 5th and Maple. Just random..

Jjs5056
Jan 28, 2014, 6:32 AM
You will probably never see a development in the Valley built without parking. No one drives more anywhere else, but here in Phoenix. It would not make sense or be ideal to have no parking. Since its not a high end project being built (like State Farm or USA Place), its cheaper to put the parking above ground. I'm just satisfied that there will be height and its another proposal.

Just a note, I saw some Hanover construction workers disputing labor rights of the Hanover Co. on 5th and Maple. Just random..

Yea, definitely. I am actually surprised we are getting as much height as we are. I just wish some of the office developments of this size were coming closer to downtown is all.

Phxguy
Jan 28, 2014, 10:18 AM
The Postino's article mentions that it will be taking the north-side of the block which is the same block as the new College Commons. Does this mean they will be building an entirely new building beside it?

Tito714
Jan 28, 2014, 12:40 PM
^^^If I'm not mistaken the Art Annex would be the building right across the strett from the new building, so the building right next to Mona Plummer.

azsunsurfer
Jan 28, 2014, 1:51 PM
Rumor has it that HFL3 is in talks with a tenant which is why we may be seeing some activity on the site. Again that is the reason why the developer is going for a more agressive approach with regards to Playa Del Norte. If you all remember this recent version is a reitteration of their first proposal...then they scaled it back to a 2 story medical office and now they are going back to their original proposal just updated. I think a while back I read there are approximately 6-10 companies that are sitting on the sidelines with 100k+ sqft. office requirements.

Arquitect
Jan 28, 2014, 7:01 PM
The Postino's article mentions that it will be taking the north-side of the block which is the same block as the new College Commons. Does this mean they will be building an entirely new building beside it?

It will be located in one of the retail spaces for the College Commons.

Jjs5056
Jan 28, 2014, 7:05 PM
It will be located in one of the retail spaces for the College Commons.

Awesome! That is perfect, and what I mean when I say the downtown buildings need to integrate wih the community more. Having The Vig part of the Commons makes it truly a mixed use building to be enjoyed by students and residents of the city at the same time.

ASU Diablo
Jan 28, 2014, 7:21 PM
^^^If I'm not mistaken the Art Annex would be the building right across the strett from the new building, so the building right next to Mona Plummer.

This...it's going to be in the Art Annex building and not College Commons

azsunsurfer
Jan 28, 2014, 7:21 PM
I thought ASU was technically a "dry campus"?

Arquitect
Jan 28, 2014, 8:04 PM
I thought ASU was technically a "dry campus"?

And this building is "technically" not in campus. But yeah, not really sure how that was worked out either.

Arquitect
Jan 28, 2014, 8:43 PM
This...it's going to be in the Art Annex building and not College Commons

You are correct, I was getting confused between the other retail tenant that is going into the Commons.

This article states that it is indeed going in the Annex:

http://millavenue.com/news/pr/postino-winecafe-to-open-in-tempe

MegaBass
Jan 29, 2014, 1:26 AM
Wetta Ventures, ASU to redevelop College Avenue (http://azremagazine.com/new-market/wetta-ventures-asu-redevelop-college-ave)

Wetta Ventures and Arizona State University today announced a partnership to redevelop a portion of College Avenue as part of an adaptive reuse project that includes the former ASU Annex.

Begun in December, the project will convert the Annex, a 7,323 square-foot-building on the corner of College Ave. and Sixth Street next to the Mona Plummer Aquatic Center, into a two-restaurant building. Wetta Ventures already has a commitment from local favorite Postino Winecafe for the northern space as well as interest from various restaurant operators for the second space. Postino is expected to open in August 2014.

The Annex is across College Avenue to the east of College Avenue Commons, a five-story, 137,000 gross-square-foot building now under construction that will house the Del E. Webb School of Construction, a prospective student visitors center, and Sun Devil Marketplace, a next-generation college store featuring dining and congregation spaces, books and soft goods, and the best of emerging digital technologies revolutionizing the world of books and publishing. College Avenue Commons will open summer of 2014.

“We are thrilled to partner with ASU on the transformation of College Avenue and to help bring to life the shared vision of creating a one-of-a-kind dining destination in Tempe,” said David Wetta, founder of Wetta Ventures. “The first phase, redeveloping the Annex, is a truly unique project. We will reinvent this old structure to create a warm, inviting space that will be full of personality. The charming and humble design from the 1950s will be preserved, while integrating modern touches and functionality. We could not ask to be part of a more exciting project.”

The Annex, a 1950s schoolhouse turned multi-functional building that was once the Sun Devil weight room during the Frank Kush era, will be transformed into two building spaces connected by a central breezeway. The windows along the front of the building will be replaced with rollup glass garage doors, midcentury modern design and interior features such as wood ceilings, exposed brick and industrial ductwork. Two large patios for outdoor seating will run along College Avenue. Michael Rumpeltin of Brick & West Design is working in collaboration with RSP Architects on the architectural design of the project.

Postino Winecafe will occupy the northern 3,838 square-foot building and will have a 2,500 square-foot patio. A second restaurant will occupy the southern building that is 3,484 square-feet with a 1,640 square-foot outdoor patio.

Wetta Ventures recently completed Old School O7, an adaptive reuse and new construction project in Midtown Phoenix. The project consists of a 1948 church that has been repurposed as a restaurant, Taco Guild, a freestanding Starbucks and a 1955 school building that will serve as new shop space for a general retail tenant.

In addition to being an ASU alumnus, Wetta has a longstanding relationship with ASU through his membership in the President’s Club and membership in the Sun Devil Family Association.

“Creating a destination place on College Avenue, where downtown Tempe, the ASU Tempe Campus, and ASU public performance venues meet, is an important part of activating the street and making College Avenue a nexus for people to come together across campus and community,” said Morgan R. Olsen, ASU executive vice president, Treasurer and CFO. “The presence of these destination dining venues as part of this exciting place will only enhance the creative environment ASU is fostering for its faculty, staff and students, and our community stakeholders.”

This development project will be done in conjunction with ASU’s College Avenue Streetscape project that is slated to begin this spring. Running along College Avenue between Sixth and Seventh streets, it will include green spaces, a shade structure, pedestrian walks, outdoor dining and event spaces and street beautification.

http://azremagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/the-Annex_1.jpg

Former Art Annex

http://azremagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Annex-Credit-Brick-West-Design-and-RSP-Architects.jpg
Rendering courtesy of Brick & West Design and RSP Architects

PHXFlyer11
Jan 29, 2014, 1:37 AM
Pretty cool news MegaBass. Tempe just keeps doing everything right while Phoenix continues to struggle. I really like that they are keeping this building, and the two restaurant concept will really liven up the street. I feel there is alot of residential there, but no sit down restaurants unless you go to Mill.

This could get really interesting. When this is complete, Block 12 is finished, then the second phase of University House goes vertical College could turn into a nice little street.

After that takes places I bet it will generate more infill and redevelopment between College, University, Mill and 5th.

Good work, Tempe and ASU.

Jjs5056
Jan 29, 2014, 6:20 AM
PHXFlyer- absolutely. I'm always a bit more critical of Tempe, but only because they still have a shot at getting this right. I can't decide if the Annex or Commons would be better, but I think I'm sold on what they're planning. The patios alone will bring so much more life to the street. And, regardless of location, having two sit-down, rather upscale restaurants is a huge turning point for College.

I'm sure it'll get visitors from the new Marriott, but I am just clinging to hope that one of the dusty lots between College and Mill gets a nice-sized mixed use project aimed at professionals. I have to imagine that's the goal of ASU and Temoe if they are attracting these kinds of restaurants since they have to know there is literally nowhere for Postino's clientele to live anywhere near there; HFL or Orchid Lofts, I suppose.

PHX31
Jan 29, 2014, 4:12 PM
Pretty cool news MegaBass. Tempe just keeps doing everything right while Phoenix continues to struggle.

It is definitely a cool project, but I don't understand your comment regarding Phoenix struggling. Phoenix is the leader in adaptively reusing old houses and buildings for restaurant purposes. I can think of dozens of them in Central Phoenix that are great and constantly busy. With many more on the drawing board and under construction.

rocksteady
Jan 29, 2014, 6:06 PM
It is definitely a cool project, but I don't understand your comment regarding Phoenix struggling. Phoenix is the leader in adaptively reusing old houses and buildings for restaurant purposes. I can think of dozens of them in Central Phoenix that are great and constantly busy. With many more on the drawing board and under construction.

PHX, I think he means Phoenix struggles in general to connect all the things that Tempe is so far doing fairly right. Retail, restaurant, residential, business and making things more urban and pedestrian friendly. I don't think he was citing restaurants specifically for what Tempe is doing well.

Jjs5056
Jan 30, 2014, 12:07 AM
Phoenix might have Tempe beat in terms of the sheer number of adaptive reuses they've completed or are planning, I think PHXFlyer waas referring to the big picture. Soon, College will be yet another walkable, urban street in downtown Tempe in addition to Mill, along with several side streets like 6th. The projects in Phoenix, while great, are completely disconnected. There aren't any walkable boulevards or pockets that give a true urban vibe aside from parts of Roosevelt.

Tempe has also managed to keep everything on a human scale, with small, walkable blocks, unlike Phoenix who continues to develop massive super locks that destroy the street level.

That's not to say Phoenix isn't doing its own part- there are several great things happening and a lot of talented people trying to make change. It just seems like those folks are working against th city, whereas it feels like the city of Tempe plays an active role in all of these great developments.

Spitfiredude
Jan 30, 2014, 4:00 PM
State Farm is now vertical over Rio Salado (by about 20 feet). Looks like the progress on this project is fast paced. I can imagine that the first phase will open by early-mid 2015.

There are some lifts and different equipment on site of USA Place. This could be for removal of lights. Also, I noticed they were taking soil samples the other week in multiple areas.

Block 12 facade is almost finished. I will take pictures of this project and Hanover today and post them.

Not much has changed for Hanover…been 3-4 months now..just not a rush for them I suppose. I mean they do have 24 months, so whatever. It does look as if there is going to be at least one level of underground parking, but I'm not sure.

Jjs5056
Jan 30, 2014, 9:52 PM
So cool.

I started following development just after the crash, so have been so used to watching all proposals fail, that it's shocking to me to see everything happening at once and so fast.

State Farm and USA Place are real game-changers. This won't be just a college town anymore. But, the progress between Rio and Uni can't be understated, either: Marriott, Block 12, Hanover, Farmer Studios, Encore, The Hub; nor the continued decrease in vacancies along Mill.

Now, damn it, if USA Place doesn't bring a grocer in finally, I'll lose it! Though, its kind of a crappy location after all this wait.

Also, not sure it was posted, but Nordstrom Rack is building a new store at TMP, and according to this, there might be a new VZW built, as well: http://www.tempe.gov/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=22885

Nice to see the land filled, but I hope one day, with the help of the streetcar, TMP can somehow become more urban. It's really too bad they didn't develop the southern part more along the lines of Scottsdale Quarter, with faux streets and such.

Spitfiredude
Jan 31, 2014, 3:58 AM
Block 12, *Note that there is brick on the project, which is making the facade look much better and tie in with the rest of campus. Would be nice if more brick was used, but not complaining. The window shades are very cool looking:
https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/1000853_742315685780234_917018759_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1618687_742315689113567_1792691540_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1/1797365_742315682446901_526359286_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1/1690323_742315702446899_119011647_n.jpg

University House signage (yes permanent and lights up at night):
https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/550317_742315695780233_694905209_n.jpg

Front of El Hefe:
https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1555384_742315755780227_382138887_n.jpg

SLOW progress on Hanover Project (yes that is a food truck in the second image, looks like those protesting workers got what they wanted haha):
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1546267_742315742446895_321215186_n.jpg
https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/63542_742315769113559_396456781_n.jpg

Jjs5056
Jan 31, 2014, 4:33 AM
Thanks. Will be interesting to see how the final Commons fills up. I think it was originally intended to have retail space... I wonder if it'll be a "real" restaurant or more of a student cafeteria? Hoping for the former to tie into the new restaurants across the road.

And, of course, I'm always anxious to know what phase 2 will be. Hoping for a private residential tower, but know that's unlikely. Probably classrooms or a dorm.

Jjs5056
Jan 31, 2014, 4:57 AM
So, the Commons is set to open in August, and in conjunction, ASU/Tempe are planning to have Phase 1 of the streetscape plan completed. The plans actually look really cool, even though this phase only covered 6th-7th street. They're using fast-growing shade trees throughout, an interesting mix of hardscape materials, and are still deciding whether there will even be lanes at all or if it will just be shared space to allow bicycles to move around traffic, etc.

I can't quite tell what the idea is for the intersections, but they look cool and are being design with the idea that the road will be closed for events.

What makes me happiest is that by the end of summer, there will be hardly any dirt or concrete fronting College. The Annex and Commons will be complete, and part of this streetscape phase is converting the lot north of the Commons into a public plaza with a massive shade structure. The plans mention/show "future retail" that I hope isn't too future, because one article references ASU wanting to bring in higher end retail and I think that'd be great to diversify downtown shopping options.

http://floorassociates.com/portfolios/college-avenue-urban-streetscape/
http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/cache/0/rc4h0c45ac0wanbg3izousns/1735882601302014095659759.PDF

Spitfiredude
Jan 31, 2014, 6:08 AM
So, the Commons is set to open in August, and in conjunction, ASU/Tempe are planning to have Phase 1 of the streetscape plan completed. The plans actually look really cool, even though this phase only covered 6th-7th street. They're using fast-growing shade trees throughout, an interesting mix of hardscape materials, and are still deciding whether there will even be lanes at all or if it will just be shared space to allow bicycles to move around traffic, etc.

I can't quite tell what the idea is for the intersections, but they look cool and are being design with the idea that the road will be closed for events.

What makes me happiest is that by the end of summer, there will be hardly any dirt or concrete fronting College. The Annex and Commons will be complete, and part of this streetscape phase is converting the lot north of the Commons into a public plaza with a massive shade structure. The plans mention/show "future retail" that I hope isn't too future, because one article references ASU wanting to bring in higher end retail and I think that'd be great to diversify downtown shopping options.

http://floorassociates.com/portfolios/college-avenue-urban-streetscape/
http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/cache/0/rc4h0c45ac0wanbg3izousns/1735882601302014095659759.PDF

Great find..I love the chinese evergreen elm they're using. That will look real good. I love that ASU diversifies the trees and plants. It makes campus look much nicer having some foreign trees than having a ccrap ton of palo verdes. Gives ASU some uniqueness.

Tito714
Jan 31, 2014, 12:22 PM
Also it looks like they finished the shade/solar structure over by Gammage, I have the pictures on my phone but don't know how to upload them on here. I really hope they don't leave the ground filled with gravel, it looks terrible.

Spitfiredude
Jan 31, 2014, 4:23 PM
Also it looks like they finished the shade/solar structure over by Gammage, I have the pictures on my phone but don't know how to upload them on here. I really hope they don't leave the ground filled with gravel, it looks terrible.

I upload them to my computer, put the image on facebook (where only I can see it), then right click and open image in new tab. You should be able to use that URL.

HX_Guy
Jan 31, 2014, 8:50 PM
This is super easy for hosting pictures: http://postimage.org

combusean
Jan 31, 2014, 8:58 PM
There's also imgur.com, which is very reliable.

TempeSilverFox
Feb 1, 2014, 11:37 PM
Hey guys!
I haven't posted in a while- was in India for a couple of months for work. Just wanted to thank everyone for the great information and posts you all have added! Things are sure interesting and active here in Tempe huh?
I went for a bike ride this morning around downtown and the Lake- wanted to share some pictures I took.

Here are some of Argo at Town Lake:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG4585_zpsfcc7561e.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG4588_zpsb9060fb4.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG4591_zpsed0c9dc2.jpg

Looks like there will be a driveway off of Rio Salado Parkway to enter Argo:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG4592_zpsa60cdbf7.jpg

Here are some pictures of the State Farm project:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG4594_zps295c2072.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG4596_zpsbdf42c47.jpg

I can't wait for Postinos to open in the old Art Annex building!

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG4605_zps24feb5cc.jpg

They are already working on it! (Postinos!)

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG4601_zps642a0014.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG4599_zpsa47c16f7.jpg

I sure wish this cute little house at Forrest and Seventh Street could be re-purposed or used as part of an adaptive re-use project- like House of Tricks...

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG4608_zps4ad2e4e3.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG4609_zpse47d4aa7.jpg

Aricheteckton's expansion looks GREAT!:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG4612_zpsb2fb0c60.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG4613_zpsc910aa30.jpg

PHX31
Feb 2, 2014, 12:27 AM
Great pics, thanks! If I'm not mistaken, I think I read that the little white house is older than it looks and was at one time a Victorian, but was renovated in the 20s or 30s.

Leo the Dog
Feb 2, 2014, 6:27 PM
Great pics, thanks! If I'm not mistaken, I think I read that the little white house is older than it looks and was at one time a Victorian, but was renovated in the 20s or 30s.

What a gem!

MegaBass
Feb 2, 2014, 7:57 PM
Nice photos Spitfiredude and TempeSilverFox. University Towers and Fulton parking structures are going to be great vantage points as College Avenue Commons completes, Art Annex and streetscape go underway.

MegaBass
Feb 2, 2014, 8:22 PM
Hey guys!

I sure wish this cute little house at Forrest and Seventh Street could be re-purposed or used as part of an adaptive re-use project- like House of Tricks...

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG4608_zps4ad2e4e3.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG4609_zpse47d4aa7.jpg

Harrington-Birchett House per Tempe (https://cfo.asu.edu/fdm-historic-preservation-harrington-birchett)

Built in 1895 and originally owned by J.W. Harrington, the house was acquired in 1904 by Mattie Birchett. Her son, Joseph T. Birchett, married Guess Eleanor Anderson that same year and, together with Mattie, the family occupied the house until around 1920. Joseph retired from the Birchett Brothers store, and his mother Mattie died in 1925. The house served briefly as a rental property until the 1930s, when it was re-occupied by Joseph and Guess Birchett. Joseph was the director of the Tempe National Bank, as well as mayor of Tempe from 1912 to 1914.

PERSONS

Guess Anderson Birchett was born in San Antonio, Texas on March 28, 1881 and arrived in Tempe in 1903; a year later, she married Joseph T. Birchett outside the Benjamin B. Moeur home. She began her studies in ornithology in 1940 and eventually obtained special licenses allowing her to care for birds at her home. She often shared her knowledge of birds in publications such as the Western Bird Banding Magazine, as well as local newspapers. From 1940 until 1970, the Harrington-Birchett House was designated an official federally-recognized bird sanctuary by the Fish & Wildlife Bureau. She also was an ardent public speaker and frequently shared her knowledge of birds with local students of all ages. She played a role in the founding of Phoenix’s Desert Botanical Gardens and served as a charter member of the Tempe Woman’s Club.

Known colloquially as the “bird-lady” among local residents, Guess was the sister of Honor Anderson Moeur, wife of Arizona Governor Benjamin B. Moeur. Her and Joseph purchased the former J.W. Harrington homestead that year because of its proximity to her sister’s home on 7th Street; thus, the two siblings were veritable neighbors throughout their lives. In 1971—the one hundredth anniversary of Tempe’s founding—Guess was named the Centennial Queen. She died in 1979 at the age of 98.

ARCHITECTURE

This house is an unusual example of remodeling during the historic period to transform a house’s stylist character completely. The Harrington-Birchett House was remodeled in 1931 from Victorian to Tudor Revival.

The house represents an excellent example of Period Revival styling. The core of the Harrington/Birchett house was built in 1895 as part of the J.W. Harrington homestead. The original house was a single-story brick Victorian cottage built by the Goodwin Brothers, whom Harrington commissioned to undertake construction. The building was remodeled in 1931 into a Period Revival style house with English Tudor qualities, including enclosure of the porches, as well as sheathing the brick with stucco.

Tempe Tourism site (http://www.tempetourism.com/get-to-know-tempe/architecture-in-tempe/) mentions the property is owned by ASU. Rehabilitation as offices is planned.

PHX31
Feb 3, 2014, 1:25 AM
/\ thanks!

azsunsurfer
Feb 3, 2014, 2:00 PM
I was having breakfast at Chompies this past Saturday morning and I noticed the lot to the east has already been fenced for that apartment complex. There was heavy equipment and everything on site already! It looks like this one should go pretty quick too.

MegaBass
Feb 5, 2014, 1:07 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfqY6RgIUAAzMaA.jpg

College Avenue Commons from Fulton Garage (h/t ASU Business-Finance (https://twitter.com/asuevpcfo/status/430824842041249793/photo/1))

Was driving down Apache today Gracie's Village is almost done. Plus whatever is being built north of Mekong Plaza.

Spitfiredude
Feb 5, 2014, 11:44 PM
So walked around Tempe today. Like others here said, I like the idea of business expanding past Mill Avenue. We can see today that College Avenue is bustling with business and new businesses. Now, I just hope that this all gets connected (which I see happening).

With the building of USA Place, the University Dr corridor will practically be completely connected. College to Mill. There will be several components still needed. The development of the University Square lot and the development of Ash/University. I imagine that we will see at least 2 of the 4 corners of Ash/University developed/redeveloped. This is a perfect spot for a grocer and apartments.

7th Street still needs development, but is in good shape with College Ave Commons and the AMC Theater. This is a vital connection point. Once again, University Square lot will help, but the SE corner of Mill & 7th St (Mill-Myrtle). Once those spots are developed. College and Mill will meet.

5th Street is nearly completely developed. This connects all focal points. The stadium to College to the city complex to Mill to Hanover/parking to Farmer to homes. It would be nice to see Farmer start getting more mid-rise development going. Encore is such a success that I'm surprised with the lack of interest.

The lots at the NE corner of Ash and 5th look like they will be developed in the far future. My hope is that we can get 100'+ buildings on these lots. It would be perfect for a US Airways/Gateway type height. Even higher may not look too odd.

Now, where I want people's opinion is 6th street. It seems all is great besides (the part that bugs me) the 6th Street park. I think this abruptly halts a connection from College to Mill. I think development of some retail on the north side near city hall would have been more ideal. I find it disappointing. I like the park, but they could add a mixture of retail buildings in this area. Anyone else agree or disagree?

Once all this development is complete, I think downtown Tempe will be very cool and vast. Now, if only we could expand the club scene past Mill Ave...

TempeSilverFox
Feb 6, 2014, 4:06 AM
Now, where I want people's opinion is 6th street. It seems all is great besides (the part that bugs me) the 6th Street park. I think this abruptly halts a connection from College to Mill. I think development of some retail on the north side near city hall would have been more ideal. I find it disappointing. I like the park, but they could add a mixture of retail buildings in this area. Anyone else agree or disagree?

I quite enjoy the 6th Street Park. It's a spot of calm - just steps away from the hustle of Mill Ave. and it provides a dramatic setting for the unique inverted pyramid of City Hall. I work for Chase in downtown Tempe and I occasionally wander over there to enjoy a coffee or snack, just gazing up at A Mountain and the new buildings creeping up on the skyline.

Oh- speaking of Chase- We all just found out a week ago that JP Morgan Chase has re-purchased the two large buildings we operate in- as well as the two massive (and I know they are super unpopular on this blog lol) parking garages. Just for some background- Chase sold the buildings at the height of the market and we have been leasing them ever since- until now. Plans are to redo the interiors to some degree and possibly reconfigure the space because we are busting at the seems with employees. This is a BIG win for Tempe as it demonstrates the commitment that JP Morgan Chase is making to staying in downtown Tempe.
With nearly 3,000 employees between the two buildings, I'm constantly surprised that Chase is so rarely mentioned by the City when they talk about key downtown employers. We practically keep the southern end of Mill Avenue afloat! (Ok, that might be an exaggeration - but we certainly have a positive impact on the area's restaurants, coffee shops, bars and office supplies shops etc.)

TempeSilverFox
Feb 6, 2014, 4:22 AM
Has anyone heard any more about the vacant lot at Ash and University? It seems to be on and off with the Whole Foods. I personally DON'T want a Whole Foods- I've said this before... WAY too expensive and I feel it's just all wrong for the area. We need a regular grocery store or a place like Trader Joe's or Fresh and Easy where you can get basics at a decent price- and also some groovy already made stuff that you just heat up. I would also love to give Tops some competition on their prices for wine and liquor!

mdpx
Feb 6, 2014, 5:31 PM
Has anyone heard any more about the vacant lot at Ash and University? It seems to be on and off with the Whole Foods. I personally DON'T want a Whole Foods- I've said this before... WAY too expensive and I feel it's just all wrong for the area. We need a regular grocery store or a place like Trader Joe's or Fresh and Easy where you can get basics at a decent price- and also some groovy already made stuff that you just heat up. I would also love to give Tops some competition on their prices for wine and liquor!

You've heard that the Whole Foods project that never got off the ground years ago is still being considered? Can you shed light on that, because there has not been a word about it in years.

Arquitect
Feb 6, 2014, 5:59 PM
I quite enjoy the 6th Street Park. It's a spot of calm - just steps away from the hustle of Mill Ave. and it provides a dramatic setting for the unique inverted pyramid of City Hall. I work for Chase in downtown Tempe and I occasionally wander over there to enjoy a coffee or snack, just gazing up at A Mountain and the new buildings creeping up on the skyline.

Oh- speaking of Chase- We all just found out a week ago that JP Morgan Chase has re-purchased the two large buildings we operate in- as well as the two massive (and I know they are super unpopular on this blog lol) parking garages. Just for some background- Chase sold the buildings at the height of the market and we have been leasing them ever since- until now. Plans are to redo the interiors to some degree and possibly reconfigure the space because we are busting at the seems with employees. This is a BIG win for Tempe as it demonstrates the commitment that JP Morgan Chase is making to staying in downtown Tempe.
With nearly 3,000 employees between the two buildings, I'm constantly surprised that Chase is so rarely mentioned by the City when they talk about key downtown employers. We practically keep the southern end of Mill Avenue afloat! (Ok, that might be an exaggeration - but we certainly have a positive impact on the area's restaurants, coffee shops, bars and office supplies shops etc.)

I agree, I love the sixth street park. I often cut through it when walking around Tempe. Mill can be a little too much if all you are trying to do is to walk from point A to point B, especially on the weekend nights.

6th street is kinda cool the way it is. The church, mosque, and city hall create an interesting tranquility in what can be and most certainly will become a very lively area. I think it will feel a lot more complete once ASU develops the north side of the block of College Commons. But overall, I see this street being more of a quiet connection between the two streets. The more busy connections will definitely be University and 5th.

Jjs5056
Feb 7, 2014, 7:11 AM
Love all of these conversations. Spitfire- I think it's amazing how a few developments can really transform a city; USA Place, Hub, Block 12, etc. have helped shape what Tempe is going to become.

1) College Avenue: have you checked out the streetscape plans I posted? These should be finished along with College Ave Commons, and are pretty awesome. They've created fantastic intersections at 6th and 7th, and have filled the lot north of Block 12 with gravel/pavers with a cool shade structure. Plans call for additional retail to be added there in the future, which would create a nice plaza. They're hoping to attract higher end retailers, so that, along with the Annex renovation (Postino's), shows that College is going to be a great, eclectic mix of students and Tempe urbanites.

Megabass: do you know the plans for phase 2 of Block 12? Any chance you'd Tweet back and ask? Hoping a private residential midrise is a part of it to really finalize the integration of the city with the campus.

2) University Square and lots between Mill and College: I'm almost hoping that ASU takes over the University Square lot or partners with the private sector for a retail-office-dorm highrise; otherwise, maybe USA Place will be enough incentive to develop this prime lot. I don't think Tempe is in need of more office or hotels in this area, so I'd almost hope they'd take advantage of their location and bring in a really modern 12-14 story apartment project aimed at design and architecture upperclassmen? Retail below could house a large bookstore/coffee shop, art supply store, etc.

3) 7th/6th: 7th is finally reemerging after the Centerpoint disaster of 08 (letting tenants' leases expire to make way for condos). I have to believe once Zipps the theater opens, the rest of the spots will fill in. There's that dreaded M7 lot, which may forever haunt us. I can see a boutique hotel hotel, signature restaurant and retail fronting Mill (14 stories), with luxury rentals over an LA Fitness stretching up to meet with Uni Square (8-10 stories). With all of the events that will soon be brought to Tempe via ASU, ASU Stadium District, USA Place... We need more than one Omni hotel. This is a prime location for an affordable, Aloft style hotel, and luxury rentals are still doing well across the valley; Tempe should catch on beyond just Hanover before it's too late. I think 6th is doing great and the park will be a nice feature once more residential fills in; it seems like a waste now, but that's with only a handful of local residents. I still hate Hanover for wasting the chance to mirror W6's retail plaza, though. Oh well.

4) Ash and Farmer: Agreed that this area could and should be filling in much more aggressively, but there have been small wins, such as the Farmer Lofts expansion and Culinary Dropout renovation of the warehouse on 1st and Farmer. The folks behind Encore were planning on building another project to the north, but I've yet to hear anything since about 6months ago? Dense, 5-6 story projects connecting Encore and that warehouse will be important. Ash, as it stands, is a disaster. I can't believe the city constructed that heinous garage on 3rd. I think the problem with transforming Ash from a sea of garages is that those lots will probably be filled with larger projects and that's gonna take the right markets. Skytower was supposed to go on 5th and Ash; while it never seemed viable, would be great if a developer out there would take a chance on high rise condos again in Tempe.

Jjs5056
Feb 7, 2014, 7:21 AM

In terms of getting a Whole Foods at Ash and University, I think we can safely say that ship has sailed. I'm not sure what to think about the recent Chase transactions; the former owner is the one who actually bought that parcel at Ash and University and mentioned using it for excess parking and was in talks regarding a grocer (so, to the poster below, yes- talks continued beyond the demise of Mosaic). They cited their investments nearby as a reason for purchasing - wonder if they'll sell this land, or sit on it indefinitely?

It's a very important lot, as it will be directly on the streetcar line and is planned for pretty intensive use/height. It'd be a shame to see it continue to sit. I think a grocery here still makes sense as it's accessible to all the neighborhoods downtown. At the same time, we can't continue using our prime lots for low density development, so I'd rather wait for a project that brings employees or residents into the core above the grocer before I say "great!" to a 4-story project that has it.

Spitfiredude
Feb 7, 2014, 9:47 AM
Like your ideas Jjs, especially with 7th. As of 6 months ago I asked a councilman about the Whole Foods, he said it was still in the plans and he had asked the grocer/developer, but they basically told him when the market is ready. I posted this in pages back. So I would say this project is not dead, just no progression. If it did die, I would not surprise. I'm glad the Pin is dead. I know its not relevant to this thread, but damn..such a stupid project. Downtown Phoenix is a failure. Tempe is the most well planned downtown in the Valley. Old Town is great, but not very urban.

Jjs5056
Feb 7, 2014, 10:34 AM
The game-changer with the Whole Foods is that the owner of that land just sold off his other properties nearby. So, that definitely changes things as they no longer have a vested interest in the area. He could either sell the land or hold onto it indefinitely, which would be a real shame.

Best thing would be for it to go on sale, and have a smart developer pick it up and build a quality project when the time is right. A 1-story Whole Foods is not the best use of that land, nor is that brand the best fit.

You are right that Tempe has a lot of momentum right now, but there's a lot that we need to keep an eye on:
1) Tempe is landlocked and there aren't many lots left in the downtown core. Tempe can't afford to continue building projects with 6 or less floors, or it won't ever have the density to support retail beyond food/bars. Ash/University, Ash/5th, Mill and 7th and University Square are probably the last 4 lots where we might see 100'-200' towers, which is ideally what this city needs in the longterm.
2) Building off that last sentence, I think Tempe's multiple business "centers" that aren't connected by LRT are detrimental to the city and similar to the TMP debacle. Several more towers are in planning for the Fountainhead Plaza, bringing that development to about 5/6 12+ story office buildings. Even if only 2 of them were built along Ash, think of the skyline, and more importantly, the impact on local retail and demand for workforce housing. I would hope these centers are connected in the future, but for now, I'd love to see Tempe bringing business back downtown... And not the lake, either. Marina Heights isn't urban at all and not walkable to downtown.
3) To try and connect that development - and connect all the way to the Cubs in Mesa - we have to get streetcar up and running, and it needs to be the Rio Salado route.
4) It seems to finally be getting this balance right, but many residential projects have been for students or low-income/seniors; again, this city is only going to thrive year-round if it starts bringing professionals into the core. Hanover and USA Place will help in that regard, and I'm glad to see College integrating ASU pieces with city/private development. We need to see a lot more of these to get a solid, non-transient population.
5) Continue bringing quality, dense TOD to Apache with a mix of students, affordable housing, and market rate properties. That should remain a dviser corridor, just less blighted and more sustainably designed.

Lastly, it's too bad the city fucked up when it let CVS and Chase build new structures just off Mill and Uni. That intersection could've held a great gateway development and had potential to connect with USA Place across the way.

Spitfiredude
Feb 7, 2014, 5:13 PM
^I definitely agree, but I see some older buildings getting knocked down too. Such as the building on the NE corner of Maple and 5th Street. Or Z'Tejas. Just to make room for a medium-large scale development.

In other news I took some pictures of window cleaning on West 6th today. Apparently there is a company that sets up these window cranes and anchors called probel. Its out of Canada. Anyway, 44 Monroe uses the same mechanism. Interesting to say the least.

https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/1606891_746086455403157_1908746344_n.jpg

CrestedSaguaro
Feb 8, 2014, 1:25 AM
3rd tower crane going up tonight at State Farm :-)

phoenixwillrise
Feb 8, 2014, 5:20 AM

I would love to see a Whole Foods in Downtown Tempe. Not all of us are starving students but consumers who want variety. Trader Joes and Whole Foods would be great. A truly great downtown has diversity, period.

Leo the Dog
Feb 8, 2014, 7:13 PM
I would love to see a Whole Foods in Downtown Tempe. Not all of us are starving students but consumers who want variety. Trader Joes and Whole Foods would be great. A truly great downtown has diversity, period.

Not all students are starving either, but rather very health conscience too. I think an urban Whole Foods could do well in the area.

TempeSilverFox
Feb 8, 2014, 7:20 PM
USA Basketball project to include an "urban grocer." I think we all saw this called out before- but since we are kinda discussing the downtown grocery store, the description of "urban grocer" makes me think it will be more along the lines of a Fresh and Easy or a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods- rather than a full on grocery store like Safeway or Frys. That being said, San Diego has a couple of full on grocery stores in very dense areas like the Ralphs in both downtown San Diego and in Hillcrest and the Albertsons near Petco Park. Can't wait till they release their list of tenants for the entire project! I would also be thrilled if 24 hour fitness or LA fitness moved in to the complex as well!

Cushman & Wakefield of Arizona, Inc. has been awarded the exclusive retail leasing assignment of 180,000 SF at USA Place, a 10.7-acre mixed-use development that will serve as the new home of USA Basketball.

“This project will be a draw to a diverse group of consumers,” said Summer Jackson, associate director with Cushman & Wakefield’s Retail Advisors. “Appealing to the professional, business traveler, sports enthusiast, athlete, student, resident or tourist, it will be one of a kind to the Arizona market.”

At 1.4 MSF, USA Place is expected to break ground next month at one of the busiest and most desirable business locations in the Valley – along Tempe’s historic Mill Avenue and University Drive.

At full build out, USA Place will feature amenities including:
>> 180,000 SF of retail space to include restaurants, shops and service oriented uses;
>> More than 240,000 SF of Class-A office space, including the new headquarters of USA Basketball.
>> A 390-room, 14-story, Four Diamond Omni Hotel and Conference Center;
>> 4,500-seat Event Center that will play host to USA Basketball, the Arizona Interscholastic Association, and community events;
>> More than 500 luxury apartments and lofts atop street-level retail.

The developer of the project is USA Place, LLC, which is comprised of three entities led by Susan Eastridge of Concord Eastridge, Inc., Michael Hallmark of Future Cities LLC, and Rob Harris of Harris Sports and Entertainment LLC.

“The Cushman Wakefield team was most responsive in understanding our retail goals for USA Place,” said Susan Eastridge, CEO of Concord Eastridge. “USA Place is an urban gathering place for retailers that will find synergies with one another within the major objectives of USA Place to showcase amateur sports, wellness, fitness with both national and local ‘best in class’ food and beverage and soft goods purveyors.”

High-end national tenants are expected to occupy the prominent retail spaces. Other retail options will include trendy wine bars and coffee houses, restaurants, an urban grocer and soft goods.

Adjacent to ASU and the Mill Avenue district, USA Place will also capitalize on a thriving arts and culture district that includes the Tempe Center for the Arts, Gammage Auditorium, local art galleries, cinemas, and concert venues.

In addition, the 50,000 SF event center floor will allow the Omni to stage exhibitions, banquets, and presentations – doubling conference center capacity.

“Specializing in mixed-use developments and the Mill Avenue district, Cushman & Wakefield is excited to be a part of this landmark project,” Jackson said.
Responsible for more than 4 MSF of product in Metro Phoenix, the Cushman & Wakefield team of Jackson, Courtney Auther and Brian Kocour will handle the retail leasing assignment at USA Place.

http://azremagazine.com/newsmakers/cushman-wakefield-awarded-usa-place-leasing-assignment

nickw252
Feb 9, 2014, 7:35 AM
USA Basketball project to include an "urban grocer." I think we all saw this called out before- but since we are kinda discussing the downtown grocery store, the description of "urban grocer" makes me think it will be more along the lines of a Fresh and Easy or a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods- rather than a full on grocery store like Safeway or Frys.

Fresh & Easy is unlikely given Tesco's relative failure in the American market and recent attempts to divest itself of existing stores.

Trader Joe's or Sprouts would be ideal for this market.

KevininPhx
Feb 9, 2014, 2:56 PM
Fresh & Easy is unlikely given Tesco's relative failure in the American market and recent attempts to divest itself of existing stores.

Trader Joe's or Sprouts would be ideal for this market.

"relative failure" is being kind. Tesco sold Fresh & Easy in 2013 to a California supermarket company. I wouldn't count F&E out of this.

http://www.thecitywire.com/node/30715#.UveWnoUz3Ps

poconoboy61
Feb 9, 2014, 11:11 PM
^^ The "new" Fresh and Easy is exactly like the old one. The only thing they did was rearrange the location of items and lengthen the store hours. I think they will be shut down by the end of the year.

Jjs5056
Feb 10, 2014, 2:46 AM
Yes, they've been touting an "urban grocer" for USA Place, but in reality, a project can say whatever they want to hype their project; they still need to find a tenant who feels the location is viable. That's going to depend on whether they pull through with all of their intended residential and if that number puts the population number over the amount that stores luck to before entering a market.

USA Place is probably our best bet at things like 24 Hour Fitness, GNC, and Trader Joe's, but I wish projects further north broke ground earlier to spread the amenities out a bit; USA Place isn't really walkable, especially for groceries, for most of the neighborhoods surrounding downtown.

poconoboy61
Feb 10, 2014, 6:42 AM
Yes, they've been touting an "urban grocer" for USA Place, but in reality, a project can say whatever they want to hype their project; they still need to find a tenant who feels the location is viable. That's going to depend on whether they pull through with all of their intended residential and if that number puts the population number over the amount that stores luck to before entering a market.

USA Place is probably our best bet at things like 24 Hour Fitness, GNC, and Trader Joe's, but I wish projects further north broke ground earlier to spread the amenities out a bit; USA Place isn't really walkable, especially for groceries, for most of the neighborhoods surrounding downtown.

Why Trader Joe's over Fry's or Safeway? I think a general full service grocery store would do a lot more for urbanism and walkability the downtown area than a specialty grocer like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, or Sprouts. People need basic ingredients and foods available at an affordable price. I would be happy with an urban Fry's.

Jjs5056
Feb 10, 2014, 11:26 AM
Why Trader Joe's over Fry's or Safeway? I think a general full service grocery store would do a lot more for urbanism and walkability the downtown area than a specialty grocer like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, or Sprouts. People need basic ingredients and foods available at an affordable price. I would be happy with an urban Fry's.

Because this development is already touting "high end retail" and even the term "urban grocer" instead of "full service grocery" or "neighborhood grocer" makes me think TJ or Whole Foods, rather than Safeway or Fry's.

See CityScape, who recruited AJ's, and after Bashas went bankrupt, had to fill the spot with Oakville Grocery, an overpriced store with limited selection.

I agree that the core of downtown needs something more along the lines of a Safeway or Fry's, though I think Sprouts would do okay. But, the type of grocer won't impact the walkability, the location will, which is why I hope the USA Place grocer is more of an Oakville/Milk&Honey store, so that a larger one can still open south of Uni and west of Mill.

PHXFlyer11
Feb 11, 2014, 3:59 AM
I was looking ahead at the 2/25 Tempe DRC agenda and this is item 2:

Request for a Zoning Map Amendment from GID General Industrial to MU-4 Mixed Use, a Planned Area Development Overlay to determine development standards a Development Plan Review and a Subdivision Plat for a mixed-use development with 294 new multi-family units for TEMPE LAKESIDE APARTMENT HOMES (PL130421), located at 551 S. College Avenue. The applicant is Sender and Associates.

I am guessing based on Google Maps that this must be University House Phase 2? I thought they would be beyond this already though. I could swear they already went in front of the commission with blue prints, etc.

Spitfiredude
Feb 11, 2014, 5:59 AM
I was looking ahead at the 2/25 Tempe DRC agenda and this is item 2:

Request for a Zoning Map Amendment from GID General Industrial to MU-4 Mixed Use, a Planned Area Development Overlay to determine development standards a Development Plan Review and a Subdivision Plat for a mixed-use development with 294 new multi-family units for TEMPE LAKESIDE APARTMENT HOMES (PL130421), located at 551 S. College Avenue. The applicant is Sender and Associates.

I am guessing based on Google Maps that this must be University House Phase 2? I thought they would be beyond this already though. I could swear they already went in front of the commission with blue prints, etc.

Couple of interesting things:

1, the original new University House Phase 2 is in this meetings minutes:
http://www.tempe.gov/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=20510

As you can see the height limits were at 195' for approval, but can go up to 300'. The requested dwellings were 79. That averaged 5-6 per floor (first two levels are parking, third is ament). They took up the entire site. Even if the building were to expand from (185' to say 285') that only adds at maximum 60 units. This doesn't make sense as to how 300 apartments could fit this site.

Something else that interests me is the fact they're called Tempe Lakeside Apt Homes. They're not even close to the lake, but if you changed the address to 551 North, they would be at the site of Hayden Harbor, which would make more sense for the name. This site could be the potential for heights of near 250' and would be a great development.

Whatever this is, it is confusing us all right now...

Spitfiredude
Feb 11, 2014, 6:07 AM
BIG NEW DEVELOPMENT FOR HAYDEN HARBOR SITE:

http://ww2.tempe.gov/ppweb/SearchPermits.aspx

There are 2 applicants under the name: "Tempe Town Lake Residential"

http://ww2.tempe.gov/ppweb/SearchPermits.aspx

One is at 400 N Scottsdale, which is right on the site, while the other is at 551 N College (which means whoever posted minutes messed up).
Anyway, they are requesting right up to 300 units. No word yet on what heights, but the buildings for this site are around 250'. This is good news for this site. It is DEFINITELY a result of the State Farm development across the street. No other reason IMO residential would be proposed. It will be interesting to see what the density is and what is planned. I'm not worried for any disappointing proposal at this point. The site is too large to be taken by one 300 unit apartment complex.

Spitfiredude
Feb 11, 2014, 6:13 AM
551 N College looks like the site just east of proposed Hayden Harbor (possibly not sure) where the small horse stable is. It looks to be around 3-5 acres. So that would be around 70-90 units an acre...hmm

combusean
Feb 11, 2014, 6:48 AM
Spitfiredude, how do you see the number of units proposed? The search page you provided doesn't produce anything meaningful on my end.

PHXFlyer11
Feb 11, 2014, 6:59 AM
I really hope this isn't another Lofts at Rio Salado or Lofts at Hayden Ferry type project that consists of 4-5 story compound of apartments.

With this site seemingly even more so under the flight path for the North Runway, I really can't see more than 8 stories here. I am not questioning your technical approved height levels, just commenting about the politics involved. I believe the FAA can declare it a hazard at their discretion.

Looks like these lots do not actually go all the way up to the lake bank, do they? Also, I am confused on how to read the permits... Are they saying one project on two lots? I assume that's what the primary vs. Non-primary distinction is.

Anything 10+ stories here would be a major win in my mind.

Also, googling the 400 N address I show this property has not sold and is not listed. However, very possible and wise that the developer get zoning, funding, etc all in place before purchasing the land.

PHXFlyer11
Feb 11, 2014, 7:00 AM
Spitfiredude, how do you see the number of units proposed? The search page you provided doesn't produce anything meaningful on my end.

See my original post a few above that calls out number of units in the agenda for the 2/25 DRC meeting.

PHXFlyer11
Feb 11, 2014, 7:17 AM
Now that I think about it, I hope we are not jumping the gun. This could be the property owner just having his/her property re-zoned to drive up value.

Three concerns:

1) The property was twice listed for sale and never sold. Owner making their land more attractive with new zoning?

2) http://www.senderlaw.com/Home_Page.html is who is applying. A zoning law firm, not a developer.

3) TEMPE LAKESIDE APARTMENT HOMES is clearly a place holder as it is generic as can be.

I hope this is real, but I am suspicious now. Although it's not like 294 units is a nice round number. Why not zone for 300 or more?

Jjs5056
Feb 11, 2014, 7:22 AM
I really hope this isn't another Lofts at Rio Salado or Lofts at Hayden Ferry type project that consists of 4-5 story compound of apartments.

With this site seemingly even more so under the flight path for the North Runway, I really can't see more than 8 stories here. I am not questioning your technical approved height levels, just commenting about the politics involved. I believe the FAA can declare it a hazard at their discretion.

Looks like these lots do not actually go all the way up to the lake bank, do they? Also, I am confused on how to read the permits... Are they saying one project on two lots? I assume that's what the primary vs. Non-primary distinction is.

Anything 10+ stories here would be a major win in my mind.

But, PHXFlyer is right about perhaps not getting our hopes up; earlier in 2013, a different developer - Namwest - had a zoning sign up on the site and never started work.

Also, googling the 400 N address I show this property has not sold and is not listed. However, very possible and wise that the developer get zoning, funding, etc all in place before purchasing the land.

The previous developer certainly thought they would be building close to 300' and directly up the bank:

http://www.wrtdesign.com/projects/detail/hayden-harbor-mixed-use-development/166

This is fantastic news! Residential density along the lake is great, for our skyline and for the health of Tempe's economy which is reliant on taxes earned and monies gained from private development to support the lake.

Are there any concerns that the lakefront developments being unwalkable to downtown and disconnected from the LRT? They're positives regardless, but was wondering how much of a surge the Mill scene will see, in terms of business and development, with residential projects this far away.

PHXFlyer11
Feb 11, 2014, 7:48 AM
The previous developer certainly thought they would be building close to 300' and directly up the bank:

http://www.wrtdesign.com/projects/detail/hayden-harbor-mixed-use-development/166

This is fantastic news! Residential density along the lake is great, for our skyline and for the health of Tempe's economy which is reliant on taxes earned and monies gained from private development to support the lake.

Are there any concerns that the lakefront developments being unwalkable to downtown and disconnected from the LRT? They're positives regardless, but was wondering how much of a surge the Mill scene will see, in terms of business and development, with residential projects this far away.

Let's hope it's something on the scale of the previous developer then! Anyone know how many units in the W6 towers? That could maybe help us judge height.

Unfortunately, for that side of the lake, the LRT would really need to go up Scottsdale rd, which ain't happening any time soon.

The south side of the lake will be just fine when the trolley is built. The trolley SHOULD encourage development on the land to the East of Rural Rd. as it shoots up Rio Salado to the Cubs facility.

Jjs5056
Feb 11, 2014, 8:03 AM
W6 is 375 units.

Yes, I'd love to see something at least close to the previous proposal, especially since South Bank has completely sucked. With HFL and Marina Heights turning the lake into a backdrop instead of an amenity, I was excited for these two projects that went right to the banks.

If real, I'm glad they're at least attempting to do more than one at once. I think a lot of the failure for urbanity, and especially mixed use projects with ground floor retail, to succeed has been that everything is built one building at a time. A lone tower amidst dirt lots isn't going to promote urbanity.

I guess we can hope these residents cab or drive down to Mill, then; I just don't want to loose ~300 units to the Scottsdale scene. In the meantime, fingers crossed for height, sleek design and lake access. This lake deserves a nice skyline around its perimeter and I think this site would have great views.

Maybe this'll light a candle under the Onyx site's new owners? That was one of my favorite designs - would've stood out beautifully.

More on what could've been: http://www.landadvisors.com/pdf/AZTP29526-95844.pdf

Spitfiredude
Feb 11, 2014, 11:15 AM
I believe W6's site is around 3-4 acres as well, so its a fairly good comparison. The height at W6 is 345' for tower 2, 260' for tower 1.

This could be a lone tower around 300'. If it were to happen, then it probably would attract more business to the north side of the lake. The possibilities are...well endless..so we hope.

Ideally, it would be nice to have a historic "ferry" connecting this side of the lake to the other. How could would that be? Running every 20-30 minutes a day. Ahhh what a dream.

Jjs5056
Feb 11, 2014, 11:37 AM
I believe W6's site is around 3-4 acres as well, so its a fairly good comparison. The height at W6 is 345' for tower 2, 260' for tower 1.

This could be a lone tower around 300'. If it were to happen, then it probably would attract more business to the north side of the lake. The possibilities are...well endless..so we hope.

Ideally, it would be nice to have a historic "ferry" connecting this side of the lake to the other. How could would that be? Running every 20-30 minutes a day. Ahhh what a dream.

I'm not sure that they'd have two separate site plans out for review with different addresses if it was just 1 tower. I find it find it strange that it says plans were reviewed 12/20 but there's nothing to be found.

I don't care about business expanding north of the lake to be honest. Past the 202 is Scottsdale's issue to me, and given their resistance to transit and urban issues, I hope the benefits stay near the lake and downtown. Playa del Norte has a 9 story office building underway and only one remanning parcel, HFL and Marina Heights are nearly booked up, so if this development is the real deal, it's only South Bank lagging behind before we have complete lakeside real estate.

I just hope that if residential does get built here, it's close enough to impact downtown retail figures so a grocer and other services come eventually.

PHX31
Feb 11, 2014, 3:44 PM

That is an effing awesome idea! It HAS to happen. It could connect the park (or near state farm) to whatever else gets built on the other side (or there could be two ferries).

There is an awesome historic ferryboat I rode on in Basel, Switzerland. It connected two sides of the Rhine River. It was guided by a steel cable strung between the two sides and a rudder under the boat used the flowing river to move it from side to side. Perfectly energy-free. It cost very little but was a neat, and in some cases necessary, little attraction.

http://basel.all-about-switzerland.info/basle/basel-stalban-ferryboat-9479.jpg

Arquitect
Feb 11, 2014, 5:07 PM
I'm not sure that they'd have two separate site plans out for review with different addresses if it was just 1 tower. I find it find it strange that it says plans were reviewed 12/20 but there's nothing to be found.

I don't care about business expanding north of the lake to be honest. Past the 202 is Scottsdale's issue to me, and given their resistance to transit and urban issues, I hope the benefits stay near the lake and downtown. Playa del Norte has a 9 story office building underway and only one remanning parcel, HFL and Marina Heights are nearly booked up, so if this development is the real deal, it's only South Bank lagging behind before we have complete lakeside real estate.

I just hope that if residential does get built here, it's close enough to impact downtown retail figures so a grocer and other services come eventually.

Tempe's boundaries actually go up past the 202. Although it would be ideal to fill in the south side of the lake first, adding more density in this area is also a win. Knowing how ahead of the game Tempe is compared to the rest of the valley's cities, I wouldn't be surprised if the city ends up proposing another street car line (or loops the existing proposal) to reach this area if a dense hub where to emerge. If you look at the current proposal for the street car, that is exactly what they are trying to do, reach the developments along Apache and Rio Salado that are too far away from the lightrail. Lets remember that there are no real plans to expand to the cubs stadium, so the current proposal could be expanded to cross the lake at Rural and then connect to the station across from First Solar. Which would make more sense for Tempe. The expansion to the Cubs stadium is more of a benefit for Mesa, and I believe that they should be spearheading that.

rocksteady
Feb 11, 2014, 5:54 PM
Wow, I've never seen those Hayden Harbor or former Onyx proposals before! I had just seen the single black Onyx building. That makes me so sad those never panned out. The lake would have looked amazing by now. Let's hope the new proposals get back to that scale.

I think it would be great to have ferries as transportation once the lake gets built out. I've also wondered why someone hasn't created a floating bar/restaurant yet. NYC has The Frying Pan and it is packed on a regular basis. Great food and great day drinking.

Leo the Dog
Feb 11, 2014, 6:30 PM
Wow, I've never seen those Hayden Harbor or former Onyx proposals before! I had just seen the single black Onyx building. That makes me so sad those never panned out. The lake would have looked amazing by now. Let's hope the new proposals get back to that scale.

I think it would be great to have ferries as transportation once the lake gets built out. I've also wondered why someone hasn't created a floating bar/restaurant yet. NYC has The Frying Pan and it is packed on a regular basis. Great food and great day drinking.

The Bahia Belle in Mission Bay is fun. It goes from the Catamaran Hotel to the Bahia, on the hour every hour in the evening. Tempe could one day do something like this, although the boat would have to be much smaller because Rural Rd Bridge is low.

http://www.bahiahotel.com/dining-entertainment/bahia-belle-boat-cruise/

rocksteady
Feb 11, 2014, 7:45 PM
Yes, that would be cool addition to the lake once it gets built out and is surrounded by residents, restaurants, bars....if it ever does. I think even today a bar/restaurant would do great. Obviously can't be as big and long as The Frying Pan in NYC, but something similar.

http://nymag.com/listings/bar/frying_pan/

Jjs5056
Feb 11, 2014, 8:23 PM
Tempe's boundaries actually go up past the 202. Although it would be ideal to fill in the south side of the lake first, adding more density in this area is also a win. Knowing how ahead of the game Tempe is compared to the rest of the valley's cities, I wouldn't be surprised if the city ends up proposing another street car line (or loops the existing proposal) to reach this area if a dense hub where to emerge. If you look at the current proposal for the street car, that is exactly what they are trying to do, reach the developments along Apache and Rio Salado that are too far away from the lightrail. Lets remember that there are no real plans to expand to the cubs stadium, so the current proposal could be expanded to cross the lake at Rural and then connect to the station across from First Solar. Which would make more sense for Tempe. The expansion to the Cubs stadium is more of a benefit for Mesa, and I believe that they should be spearheading that.

I know that Tempe runs north of the 202, but given the fact that it borders south Scottsdale, which is complete trash, and knowing that the city won't ever invest in things like shade trees, transportation or encourage more pedestrian oriented design makes me give preference to Tempe's property up to the lake instead of trying to promote revitalization at this point.

I like your streetcar idea; it's too bad Scottsdale wouldn't ever partner up and have the line go down McDowell before turning on Galvin Parkway, and eventually left into Van Buren to pass First Solar and go back over the bridge. That would make the northern lakefront developments, SkySong, Papago Park, DBG, Phoenix Zoo, Phoenix Municipal Stadium, First Solar, and Marquee Theater all accessible via transit. Of course, they'd have to reconfigure the Galvin traffic circle, but all of those amenities should be on some kind of rail line, even Phoenix Muni where I believe ASU baseball will play during the Stadium District overhaul.

I think people are too optimistic about development east of Rural when hoping for the Cubs extension. Rural-McClintock makes sense, but there are many who think a line might entice TMP to modify its design, and I just don't ever see that happening. I also think connecting TMP with Mill helps some erase the guilt/pain of allowing that project to kill retail downtown.

Jjs5056
Feb 11, 2014, 8:25 PM
Yes, that would be cool addition to the lake once it gets built out and is surrounded by residents, restaurants, bars....if it ever does. I think even today a bar/restaurant would do great. Obviously can't be as big and long as The Frying Pan in NYC, but something similar.

http://nymag.com/listings/bar/frying_pan/

One of the items on the Tempe development review commission's recent or upcoming meetings was regarding the need for more retail/restaurants to be connected to the waterfront, so I do think we will eventually see at least some improvement that could make a small ferry system worthwhile.

rocksteady
Feb 12, 2014, 4:02 AM
One of the items on the Tempe development review commission's recent or upcoming meetings was regarding the need for more retail/restaurants to be connected to the waterfront, so I do think we will eventually see at least some improvement that could make a small ferry system worthwhile. That is great to hear, JJ. Thanks for the info. I would love to see that lake surrounded by nice bars and restaurants with great multi-level patio seating to take advantage of great views and weather. Even better if I could take a ferry from a restaurant on the north shore, to a street car on the south short that connects to the light rail, and then home. One day, hopefully.

It also appears Tempe is much closer to revitalizing and seeing through old pre-recession plans than Phoenix. Obviously a lot aren't as big in scale, but if we could see action at University Square, Hayden Harbor, and the Onyx plot then Tempe is back in pretty good business.

HX_Guy
Feb 13, 2014, 4:49 AM
Tempe continuing to kick ass!

Apartment tower, Whole Foods planned for downtown Tempe in $80-100 million project

Kristena Hansen
Phoenix Business Journal

http://s4.postimg.org/oully4zf1/unimill.jpg

A failed mixed-use project in downtown Tempe that once promised a condominium high-rise and a Whole Foods grocery store is being revived.
Greenwood Village, Colo.-based Alberta Development Partners LLC paid $6.1 million for less than 2 vacant acres at the northwest corner of University Drive and Ash Avenue in a deal that closed this week, according to a statement from CBRE Inc. Brookfield Asset Management was the seller.
The company plans to spend another $80 million to $100 million erecting a mid-rise or high-rise apartment tower there with a ground-level grocery store over the next several years.
Nearly a decade ago, the 1.86-acre parcel was slated for a similar project dubbed Mosaic that called for a high-rise condo tower and ground-level Whole Foods. The developer at the time, KML Development, never got the project off the ground due to the downfall of its lender, the now-defunct Mortgages Ltd.
The announcement of this new project comes at a time when commercial development, especially high-end multifamily, has been exploding in Tempe’s urban core. It would also fill a void for the downtown area’s growing number of residents, who currently do not have a nearby grocery store.
Don Provost, founder and principal of Alberta Development, declined to name the grocer, but sources close to the deal who did not want to be named said Whole Foods has signed letter of intent to occupy the space. Whole Foods representatives did not immediately return an email late Wednesday afternoon about the possible store.
Provost also declined to say how large the retail space would be and whether the grocer would occupy the entire space, so it is unclear whether there will be enough space for a full-scale Whole Foods like those sen in Scottsdale and Chandler. A smaller Whole Foods in Tempe is about four miles from the new project.
Parking for the grocery store will be underground, while residents will have their own garage stacked in between the ground-level retail and the high-end apartments, he said.
Provost said many details — such as the tower’s height and whether the apartments will be self-managed — are still up in the air, noting the deal happened in a brisk 30 days.
Thus, more time is needed to examine the area, particularly the constant growth of the adjacent Arizona State University main campus and other non-university related developments nearby such as USA Place and State Farm Insurance’s regional headquarters.
“There’s a lot of dynamics in that market right now ... it’s a unique opportunity,” Provost said.
Construction on the project — a first in the Phoenix area for Alberta Development — could start this fall and wrap up within two years, he said.
“The property at University and Ash is one of the single most sought-after vacant land parcels in the metro area,” Barry Gabel, a CBRE broker who helped represent the seller, said in a statement. “The site’s downtown Tempe location, adjacency to Arizona State University, current entitlements and frontage along both University Drive and Ash Avenue make it an ideal location for future development.”

rocksteady
Feb 13, 2014, 4:58 AM
Great news out of Tempe, once again! Lets hope they go with the high-rise, instead of mid-rise. I think a Whole Foods here, and a less expensive and smaller trader joe's at USA place will serve the area well. I realize they would be close to one another but each would serve two completely different clientele.

Arquitect
Feb 13, 2014, 6:25 AM
Great news out of Tempe, once again! Lets hope they go with the high-rise, instead of mid-rise. I think a Whole Foods here, and a less expensive and smaller trader joe's at USA place will serve the area well. I realize they would be close to one another but each would serve two completely different clientele.

They are almost literally next to each other at the Town and Country shopping center in Phoenix, and they seem to be co-existing pretty well. There are something that one carries that the other doesn't, and the clientele is diverse enough to keep both going.

Jjs5056
Feb 13, 2014, 7:03 AM
Wow, that's fantastic news!

Like I mentioned last week, the sale of the Chase buildings was definitely going to impact this lot since it was owned by the seller of those offices. Glad to see they sold it to someone with actual plans to develop.

Even if it is a midrise, it'll have to be a pretty decent height. I can't imagine the project penciling out with less than 8 stories worth of apartments on that size of a lot, so we'd be looking at an 11-13 story tower at that point when you add in the retail and podium parking. Anything 12+ will be awesome.

Can't wait for more residential downtown, more high rise options, a downtown grocer, retail fronting Ash, and downtown extending west.

combusean
Feb 13, 2014, 7:13 AM
I wondered what could happen on that lot for $90 million and this is what I came up with:

Alta Phoenix was built for $40 million in 2009 and has 328 units and is on a similarish size lot. It's about 330000 rentable square feet. Average of 1000 square foot a unit, and $121/leasable sqft construction cost.

44 Monroe was built for $70 million at the height of the market and by my calculations (523,000 total square feet, 130,000 square feet of garage over 7 floors, 393,000 gross rentable sqft - 97,000 sqft of core) - it's around 296,000 rentable square feet and has 202 units at an average of 1500 sqft a unit and $236/leasable sqft construction cost. The small footprint, plus demolition, and higher construction costs (crane woes, etc) drove the cost of this one up.

So let's say it costs $200/leasable sqft to build. $90 million over 200 gives us a 450,000 leasable square foot building. That's between 300 - 450 units, 240 - 160 du/acre (super dense on either end).

The garage for this using 44 monroe's proportions would be about 180,000 square feet, which could stack on top of a 40,000 square foot Whole Foods plus another 15k for back of house and loading. Because the lot is too big for one contiguous tower over one garage like it's occasionally done, I figure a detached Whole Foods below 4 - 5 floors of parking (at least one floor of parking for the whole foods).

The remaining 25,000 square foot parcel (and this is assuming maximum lot usage) is favorable for a highrise tower. With about 80% of that floorplate area going to leasable space, I divide 450000 by 20,000 and get a 22 - 23 story highrise on that lot.

Any surface parking, courtyard space, setbacks, etc. futzes with these numbers substantially. But that would just drive the overall height up. As another caveat, Mosaic was stacked quite well on top of the whole foods/garage area, but it's hard to take prior designs into account when there's a new dollar figure to spend. I should probably better take into account the whole foods cost, but it doesn't seem to matter when working with ballparkish numbers anyways.

Jjs5056
Feb 13, 2014, 7:50 AM
I wondered what could happen on that lot for $90 million and this is what I came up with:

Alta Phoenix was built for $40 million in 2009 and has 328 units and is on a similarish size lot. It's about 330000 rentable square feet. Average of 1000 square foot a unit, and $121/leasable sqft construction cost.

44 Monroe was built for $70 million at the height of the market and by my calculations (523,000 total square feet, 130,000 square feet of garage over 7 floors, 393,000 gross rentable sqft - 97,000 sqft of core) - it's around 296,000 rentable square feet and has 202 units at an average of 1500 sqft a unit and $236/leasable sqft construction cost. The small footprint, plus demolition, and higher construction costs (crane woes, etc) drove the cost of this one up.

So let's say it costs $200/leasable sqft to build. $90 million over 200 gives us a 450,000 leasable square foot building. That's between 300 - 450 units, 240 - 160 du/acre (super dense on either end).

The garage for this using 44 monroe's proportions would be about 180,000 square feet, which could stack on top of a 40,000 square foot Whole Foods plus another 15k for back of house and loading. Because the lot is too big for one contiguous tower over one garage like it's occasionally done, I figure a detached Whole Foods below 4 - 5 floors of parking (at least one floor of parking for the whole foods).

The remaining 25,000 square foot parcel (and this is assuming maximum lot usage) is favorable for a highrise tower. With about 80% of that floorplate area going to leasable space, I divide 450000 by 20,000 and get a 22 - 23 story highrise on that lot.

Any surface parking, courtyard space, setbacks, etc. futzes with these numbers substantially. But that would just drive the overall height up. As another caveat, Mosaic was stacked quite well on top of the whole foods/garage area, but it's hard to take prior designs into account when there's a new dollar figure to spend. I should probably better take into account the whole foods cost, but it doesn't seem to matter when working with ballparkish numbers anyways.

Thanks for this! Very interesting.

One thing to consider is that the article specifically mentioned that WF's parking would be underground with resident parking being stacked above. The trend for Whole Foods nationwide has been underground parking in suburban locations, so I think that's probably going to happen here.

In which case, could the Whole Foods+Parking+Apartments complete one tower, with a shorter, connected mid-rise occupying the rest of the land? I guess that would look a bit weird having the parking podium of the tower adjacent to residential units next door, huh?

See the article below for a photo reminder of how Mosaic did something similar. Though the final plans changed, the concept stayed the same, and I imagine Alberta will need to do this or get creative in order to appease residents, as that was what forced KML into a redesign that pushed the tower piece to the eastern end of the property.

Article: http://vizzdanews.blogspot.com/2014/02/colorado-based-developer-buys-ml.html

Jjs5056
Feb 13, 2014, 7:55 AM
Also interesting to note and maybe of use: the previous owner submitted plans for a 35K square foot Whole Foods for the lot in 2011 with 2 floors of parking above.

Interesting in that, while there was news of the owner considering a grocery store, we never heard/discussed this project which went as far as a development agreement with Tempe.

PHXFlyer11
Feb 13, 2014, 2:25 PM
Tempe continuing to kick ass!

Unbelievable news! One year from now all you are going to see in the Tempe skyline are cranes, everywhere!

- Lofts at Hayden Ferry
- Marina Heights
- Hayden Ferry 3
- USA Place
- Potential apartments on North Side
- Potential 10 story at North Shore
- University House 2
- Always forget the name of the one next to W6 that is under construction
- New Mosaic!!

I really hope this is at least 20 stories. 22 would be great. I think all of this is starting to have a compounding effect and spurring more and more development and demand. I can't wait to see what else the trolley ignites. Hopefully the empty plots east of Rural on Rio bank.

Maybe Onyx and the final parcel at HF that was slated for a hotel will take off next! Fun times in Tempe... but please! Someone build some damn condos!

Jjs5056
Feb 13, 2014, 2:53 PM
Unbelievable news! One year from now all you are going to see in the Tempe skyline are cranes, everywhere!

- Lofts at Hayden Ferry
- Marina Heights
- Hayden Ferry 3
- USA Place
- University House 2
- New Mosaic!!

I really hope this is at least 20 stories. 22 would be great. I think all of this is starting to have a compounding effect and spurring more and more development and demand. I can't wait to see what else the trolley ignites. Hopefully the empty plots east of Rural on Rio bank.

Maybe Onyx and the final parcel at HF that was slated for a hotel will take off next! Fun times in Tempe... but please! Someone build some damn condos!

The project next to W6 is Hanover. Which apartments are you referring to on the north part of town? You might be thinking of the two 4-story structures being planned at SouthBank, east of Rural. If so, let's hope that one doesn't happen - it's brown stucco and fake stone, and completely underutilizes what was intended to be a fantastic mix of various high rises.

Also, of all the projects, HF3 has the most history, was the first to announce its plan prior to this new boom, and yet I feel like it just isn't going to happen. That intersection desperately needs attention; it's a shame the design won't help much and that the Mill has never attracted a development.

On the positive side, the Lofts at Hayden Ferry, squished between HFL and Marina Heights, seems to be a go, and as far as I know, the 9-story office building at North Shore is actually already begun. Anyone know?

mdpx
Feb 13, 2014, 3:20 PM

You've heard that the Whole Foods project that never got off the ground years ago is still being considered? Can you shed light on that, because there has not been a word about it in years.

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle! Apologies for questioning Silverfox!

HX_Guy
Feb 13, 2014, 3:55 PM

- Lofts at Hayden Ferry
- Marina Heights
- Hayden Ferry 3
- USA Place
- University House 2
- New Mosaic!!

Yeah, if Tempe wasn't already the urban experience of Metro Phoenix, it sure will take the crown now.

PHXFlyer11
Feb 13, 2014, 4:04 PM
The project next to W6 is Hanover. Which apartments are you referring to on the north part of town? You might be thinking of the two 4-story structures being planned at SouthBank, east of Rural. If so, let's hope that one doesn't happen - it's brown stucco and fake stone, and completely underutilizes what was intended to be a fantastic mix of various high rises.

No, this is the project that we saw on the agenda for the 2/25 DRC meeting. There was alot of speculation on this, I believe you also were part of that discussion. The 2 lots for the one project by the horse property.

Also, of all the projects, HF3 has the most history, was the first to announce its plan prior to this new boom, and yet I feel like it just isn't going to happen. That intersection desperately needs attention; it's a shame the design won't help much and that the Mill has never attracted a development.

I think this will happen in time. If it's a year, two years or 5 years. They just will not build until they can sign leases for most of the building. I am not concerned about this one. All the work has been done but to sign tenants. They're all sunk costs now.

On the positive side, the Lofts at Hayden Ferry, squished between HFL and Marina Heights, seems to be a go, and as far as I know, the 9-story office building at North Shore is actually already begun. Anyone know?

Yes, looks like HFL Lofts will go soon. As for the 9-story at North Shore, this has not move at all. I think this is similar to HFL3, in that they will first sign leases, then build. There is still an ugly trailer on the property advertising medical condos. lol

Jjs5056
Feb 13, 2014, 4:12 PM
No, this is the project that we saw on the agenda for the 2/25 DRC meeting. There was alot of speculation on this, I believe you also were part of that discussion. The 2 lots for the one project by the horse property.

God, I'm an idiot. I was thinking of NorthShore, which reminded me of ugly stucco, and that was that.

PHXFlyer11
Feb 13, 2014, 4:58 PM
God, I'm an idiot. I was thinking of NorthShore, which reminded me of ugly stucco, and that was that.

Haha, no worries, in my mind it's a long shot anyways and could be used just to drive up the property value, time will tell.

phoenixwillrise
Feb 13, 2014, 11:00 PM
They are almost literally next to each other at the Town and Country shopping center in Phoenix, and they seem to be co-existing pretty well. There are something that one carries that the other doesn't, and the clientele is diverse enough to keep both going.

Same here in San Diego both in La Jolla Village (near my home) and Hillcrest maybe others they are practically side by side and we often shop at both on the same trip.

rocksteady
Feb 13, 2014, 11:18 PM
Same here in San Diego both in La Jolla Village (near my home) and Hillcrest maybe others they are practically side by side and we often shop at both on the same trip.

I do the same at Town and Country. If I'm shopping for myself I go to Whole Foods. If I'm shopping for 2-3 people I go to Trader Joe's. And if I'm shopping for 10-15 I'll go across the street to Fry's. Having 3 grocery stores next to each other and across the street serves that area very well and I think the same would go for that part of Tempe.

azsunsurfer
Feb 14, 2014, 8:20 PM
The office development at north shore has a major tenant talking to them to take the whole building, it will depend if they sign an LOI for the entire building....

rocksteady
Feb 14, 2014, 9:02 PM
The office development at north shore has a major tenant talking to them to take the whole building, it will depend if they sign an LOI for the entire building....

Great news! Any news on who? ;)

And I want to see all of these cranes in the air in Tempe and Phoenix ASAP before some unexpected financial fallout scares people again.

azsunsurfer
Feb 14, 2014, 9:17 PM
Great news! Any news on who? ;)

And I want to see all of these cranes in the air in Tempe and Phoenix ASAP before some unexpected financial fallout scares people again.

out of respect for my source, that's none of your business, if it happens it happens. Now the first building is up at Liberty Center, I am still very stoked about this.