PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117

phoenixwillrise
Aug 24, 2014, 12:57 AM
Didn't Phoenix propose something like Tempe town lake decades before Tempe completed their lake?

It's a shame it wasn't done years ago on a grander scale running all the way thru Phoenix and even an offshoot river running through downtown Phoenix like San Antonio's. Also a sand filter system that would make the water pure and dam near drinkable would be huge. The price would have been high but the payback would have been far greater. Unfortunately Phoenix just has never had visionary planners that could have made something like this a reality.

MegaBass
Aug 24, 2014, 8:50 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bvaz4ZxCEAAe2-C.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bvay2IUCEAIgFJg.jpg

GoDaddy Global Technology Center at the ASU Research Park set to open next month h/t ASU Business-Finance (https://twitter.com/asuevpcfo)

PHXFlyer11
Aug 24, 2014, 9:18 PM
I really wish GoDaddy would've ended up in Downtown Tempe.

I think Tempe should go after Taser, perhaps for HFL 3.

Jjs5056
Aug 25, 2014, 6:47 PM
Yea, Tempe seems a bit too hellbent on expanding their business presence along Price, but it has two really great central business districts in downtown and Fountainhead, the latter which is becoming as mixed use and sustainable as a suburban business park can be retrofitted into. I think it's always a miss when something goes out to ASU Research Park, or that new Discovery Park across Elliott.

Arquitect pretty much summed up the difficulties with expanding the lake. Plans for turning the western portion into parks and the like have always been discussed and seemed to have gone nowhere - again, probably due to the neighborhoods these parks would serve. Why invest in a linear park running through abandoned industrial areas?

Leo - the original plan was called the Rio Salado Project, designed by ASU students in the... 70s?... and would've run from Mesa through Phoenix; Tempe was the only city to approve the vision, thus setting the stage for the Town Lake.

nickw252
Aug 25, 2014, 10:24 PM
The city of Tempe is poised to sell 11 acres of land on Tempe Town Lake to a developer who claims financial backing from Chinese and commodities-trading interests. The plan? A $1.2 billion, 2 million-square foot development on the parcels.

Tempe is preparing to sell the lakeside parcels to Scottsdale-based TrendEx Holdings LLC for $17.6 million.

The project would include offices, condominiums, retail and a hotel on what be one of the largest in developments in the state — if it ever comes to fruition.

The land sits north Rio Salado Parkway and in between Rural Road and McClintock Drive.

The Tempe City Council took a step forward with the sale at its August meeting and has another public hearing scheduled for Sept. 4. There was no debate or discussion on the land sale at the Tempe council’s August meeting and the sale measure moved forward via a unanimous vote. TrendEx will still have to consummate the land purchase after city approval, and there is little known locally about the developer.

The land is part of the Pier 202 area of Tempe, which has seen development plans famously come and go over the years.

TrendEx was the only developer to submit plans after the city issued a requests for proposals last year.

Arizona Corporation Commission filings show TrendEx with a Scottsdale address and Robert Swagger as its corporate manager.

Swagger was also president and CEO of a company called The Trend Exchange Inc., according to ACC filings. The Trend Exchange is a sister firm to a company called Media Derivatives. That company once sought to sell futures contracts based on expected movie box office revenues.

Swagger is also listed in the corporate filings of several other businesses in Scottsdale and Paradise Valley, including Veriana Ventures. Sean Bonini, a principal for Scottsdale-based Signature Real Estate LLC, is also part of the TrendEx effort. Bonini said he was meeting with other partners this week and they would be able to talk more of their plans soon.

In an Aug. 20 release, TrendEx said it was partnering with China International Development Investment Corporation Limited (CIDIC) and other partners.

“We are excited to be doing business with our Arizona partners and look forward to deploying substantial resources for a signature development in the dynamic Tempe market,” said Alan Tay, CIDIC North America CEO in the release.

The Hong Kong company also does commodities trading and has been involved in a number of construction projects in China. CIDIC officials did not respond to e-mails seeking comment.

There has been significant Chinese real estate investment in the U.S. of late, but most of that has gone to larger or coastal U.S. markets such as San Francisco, Los Angeles and Seattle — not Phoenix.

Phoenix land-use attorney John Berry is also quoted in the TrendEx release.

“I have had the opportunity to work closely with the principals of this project and am pleased with the positive results the proposed project will have for not only the Tempe community but for the state of Arizona at large,” said Berry, the founding partner of Berry Riddell and Rosensteel LLC.

Berry also did not respond to telephone calls seeking comment.

The TrendEX development is just east of the $600 million Marina Heights project being built by Ryan Cos. and Sunbelt Holdings for a State Farm Insurance regional operations hub.

There’s also a planned new 159-room Marriott AC Hotel proposed by Woodbine Development Corp. on a Hayden Ferry Lakeside parcel north of Rio Salado and east of Mill Avenue. The Tempe council is looking at property tax breaks for that project. There are also apartment complexes and other potential real estate development in the area near Arizona State University’s main campus.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2014/08/25/obscure-chinese-backed-developer-eyes-1-2b-project.html?page=all

If something of this scale actually is built, they're going to need to extend the streetcar along Rio Salado.

Also, what will traffic be like on the 202 once State Farm is done?

Jjs5056
Aug 25, 2014, 10:49 PM
Yea, makes the Apache piece of the line seem more and more unnecessary. At this point, though, they just need to get the funding and put the shovel to the ground; we're creeping up on the originally-intended launch date.

Neither this article nor the lack of press from Tempe seem too confident in the development happening. But, regardless of size, it would be the most important development to come to the Phoenix metro by far.

PHXFlyer11
Aug 25, 2014, 11:01 PM
That was part of my concern. This TrendEx doesn't even have a web site. Nobody knows anything about this "company".

I hope Tempe did some extra homework here.

nickw252
Aug 26, 2014, 12:05 AM
That was part of my concern. This TrendEx doesn't even have a web site. Nobody knows anything about this "company".

I hope Tempe did some extra homework here.

Those two facts don't mean much. Projects like this are often done by business partnerships and/or newly created entities for tax and liability reasons.

A newly created entity isn't going to have a website or a reputation immediately.

That being said, I'm still skeptical about such an ambitious project of this scale.

Jjs5056
Aug 26, 2014, 3:17 AM
Well, if they RFPd it, and only received 1 response... they had to have felt it was better than more 4-story apartment proposals.

That land has been the source of proposals since the 90s, IIRC, with a Peabody Hotel planned originally. It'd be great to see it developed finally and now seems to be the time. Though, the north side seems to have stalled a bit which is a shame.

Tempe_Duck
Aug 26, 2014, 5:15 AM
Anyone know why Big Bang is closing?

https://www.facebook.com/bangthis/posts/688601744542363?fref=nf

MegaBass
Aug 26, 2014, 6:02 AM
Devils on College: A new pre-game tradition (https://asunews.asu.edu/20140822-devils-on-college-pre-game-activities)

This fall, Arizona State University will be rolling out an exciting new tradition before all home football games. The new Devils on College pre-game event will begin three hours prior to kickoff, and will encompass the plaza area around the recently constructed College Avenue Commons building.

Devils on College will include food trucks, cooling stations, music and family games and entertainment. The Sun Devil Marketplace will have items for sale in the plaza, and local vendors will be open for business.

The event will end 30 minutes prior to kickoff to allow fans enough time to get to Sun Devil Stadium. College Avenue will be closed between 6th and 7th Streets beginning four hours prior to kickoff, and will re-open shortly after kickoff.

Later in the fall, Postino Wine Cafe and breakfast eatery Snooze will also be joining the action on College Avenue.

MegaBass
Aug 26, 2014, 6:31 AM
Anyone know why Big Bang is closing?

https://www.facebook.com/bangthis/posts/688601744542363?fref=nf

Downtown Tempe piano bar to play its last note (http://ktar.com/22/1761352/Downtown-Tempe-piano-bar-to-play-its-last-note)

In a Saturday Facebook post, the Big Bang, a dueling piano bar occupying a basement location at Fifth Street and Mill Avenue, announced it would play its last note on Sept. 6.

The bar did not reveal why it was closing, though it is possible it could be a financial decision -- the building that houses it has an unusually high turnover for an area frequented by college students. The ground floor has been occupied by multiple businesses over the past 10 years, including McDonald's and The Library, a breastaurant similar to the Tempe-based Tilted Kilt. The building's third story has also played host to a number of businesses.

The Big Bang said it is still accepting reservations for its last two weekends and has "a lot of awesome things happening" to mark the bar's closing.

The bar, part of a small chain based in Tennessee, opened its doors in 2003. The chain's original location, St. Louis, is scheduled to close Sept. 8. Other Big Bangs are located in Nashville and Columbus, Ohio. Another location is scheduled to open in Cleveland in 2015, according to the bar's website.

Obadno
Aug 26, 2014, 3:14 PM
Downtown Tempe piano bar to play its last note (http://ktar.com/22/1761352/Downtown-Tempe-piano-bar-to-play-its-last-note)

Well that is too bad Ive allways like that the Big Bang is an original sort of concept instead of the cookie cutter bars that dominate most entertainment areas.

I cant believe they arent making money so it most be a decision for the overall company. :(

PHXFlyer11
Aug 26, 2014, 4:50 PM
Well that is too bad Ive allways like that the Big Bang is an original sort of concept instead of the cookie cutter bars that dominate most entertainment areas.

I cant believe they arent making money so it most be a decision for the overall company. :(

Very strange they would do this right before the busy season.

ASU Diablo
Aug 26, 2014, 7:58 PM
There was an article up on www.azbex.com about the new development proposal which included some additional info not published before but it seems like it was taken down?

Anyways, the article stated the highest building at 20 stories and the hotel at 18. Hopefully the article is re-published again

Thanks nickw252!!

nickw252
Aug 26, 2014, 8:02 PM
There was an article up on www.azbex.com about the new development proposal which included some additional info not published before but it seems like it was taken down?

Anyways, the article stated the highest building at 20 stories and the hotel at 18. Hopefully the article is re-published again

http://azbex.com/tempe-lakefront-to-see-largest-arizona-mixed-use-development-from-novice-bidder/

Arquitect
Aug 26, 2014, 10:15 PM
http://azbex.com/tempe-lakefront-to-see-largest-arizona-mixed-use-development-from-novice-bidder/

I'm a bit hesitant about how "real" this might be. Although, it would be an incredible addition if it were to happen.

On a bit of unrelated news, it looks like Tempe just passed Tucson in number of posts on this forum. I mention this not because of the rivalry between the universities in each city, but rather because it shows how incredibly smart Tempe has been in the past couple decades. It is pretty incredible how Tempe keeps bringing in large developments and creating an urban hub that cities much larger than them wish they had. Being land locked is pretty much the best thing that could have happened to this city, since it has forced planners and city officials to deal with what they have rather than just keep expanding.

rocksteady
Aug 26, 2014, 11:38 PM

I've always been puzzled why this corner has had such high turnover throughout the years. It's a prime location and great building that never seems to land anything that sticks.

MegaBass
Aug 27, 2014, 12:14 AM
I've always been puzzled why this corner has had such high turnover throughout the years. It's a prime location and great building that never seems to land anything that sticks.

Shame the only constant so far at faux-Laird and Dines Building is Hooters...

MissingAZ
Aug 27, 2014, 12:36 AM

Was bummed to read this but I've seen it coming. When I was in college back in 2009 this placed was always so crammed you had to wait in line, pay a cover and stand shoulder to shoulder even on the upper floor. Last couple years when I've gone back it always felt half full. For whatever reason the current crop of students just don't want to go there. You'd think with constant turnover of students the concept would remain novel to newly 21 year olds but I guess the newer bars are that much more attractive.

Ted Lyons
Aug 27, 2014, 2:53 AM
I'm a bit hesitant about how "real" this might be. Although, it would be an incredible addition if it were to happen.

On a bit of unrelated news, it looks like Tempe just passed Tucson in number of posts on this forum. I mention this not because of the rivalry between the universities in each city, but rather because it shows how incredibly smart Tempe has been in the past couple decades. It is pretty incredible how Tempe keeps bringing in large developments and creating an urban hub that cities much larger than them wish they had. Being land locked is pretty much the best thing that could have happened to this city, since it has forced planners and city officials to deal with what they have rather than just keep expanding.

I'd like to think our Tucson thread might have some more discussion without the onslaught of delusions from a few posters. Nevertheless, Tempe has been a model of success for Arizona. I find myself checking this thread more than the Phoenix thread.

PHXFlyer11
Aug 27, 2014, 3:31 PM
Interesting thought posted on the PHX Business Journal article in the comments. It is really just speculation, but someone commented that Alibaba is looking for sites in the US and could Anchor the Pier 202 development.

If this is the case this would be tremendous! Tempe has been unusually quiet on this. However, this may not be a bad thing. I thought it was interesting that according to an article, there was no discussion or debate, the vote just took place on the sale.

There must be some big vote of confidence behind this that they are not yet willing to announce.

MegaBass
Aug 27, 2014, 6:39 PM
New location for Food Truck Block Party on Wednesday (north of College Avenue Commons). I wonder if it'll have similar setup ala Phoenix Public Market.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwED33VIAAALOsW.jpg

h/t Satay Hut (https://twitter.com/SatayHut/status/504688918902865921/photo/1)

Dancin' Don
Aug 28, 2014, 3:37 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/story/money/business/2014/08/27/new-tempe-hotel-reflects-the-spirit-of-asu/14711827/

New Tempe hotel reflects the spirit of ASU

Laurie Merrill, The Republic | azcentral.com 8:04 p.m. MST August 27, 2014

Developers of Tempe's newest boutique hotel want to pick up the spirit of the city and nearby Arizona State University in their decor.

Optimistic. Intellectual. Science-inspired.

The Graduate Tempe hotel, the Normal diner and Tapacubo Mexican eatery are rising from the gutted hulks of the former Twin Palms Hotel and IHOP restaurant that for decades occupied the site across from the campus, near ASU Gammage.

The hotel is scheduled to open Sept. 23.

If it sounds more like a college than a lodge, that may be because the 141-room hotel has partnered with ASU's School of Life Sciences Social Insect Research Department and the ASU Art Department for decorations.

Guests will see a front desk created from a digital print of Charles Darwin's "Origin of the Species," an enormous ant farm in the lobby and Native American art work, said Christian Strobel, Graduate Hotels president.

"At Graduate, we are looking to create an experience where you wake up feeling the vibrancy and energy of the town you are staying in," Strobel said. "Our goal is to capture Tempe's unique spirit throughout the hotel."

Graduate Tempe is one of at least seven Graduate hotels that AJ Capital Partners plans to open in the next year, all in college cities, Strobel said.

Graduate Tempe will be the first to open and will do so in time to capture some of the business the Super Bowl at University of Phoenix Stadium will bring next year.

The partnership paid about $5.88 million for the Twin Palms Hotel, which shut its doors in May, according to published reports.

Room rates will average about $159 a night, Strobel said.

"This particular location is plagued by under-investment," Strobel said of the site.

Hotel General Manager Jeremy Dougherty said the location is ideal for capitalizing on the influx of new businesses in the area as well as ASU's visiting alumni, parents and educators.

USA Basketball is moving to University Drive and Mill Avenue, and the Marina Heights project, anchored by an 18-story local State Farm insurance company headquarters, is under construction at Tempe Town Lake.

"We want people to say, 'This is really different, this is really cool,'" Dougherty said.

The hotel has views of nearly every mountain range in the area.

It will have an outdoor space conducive to tailgating and a 90-inch TV by the pool.

The idea is for the hotel to appeal to the traveler who now does business in Tempe or Chandler but spends the evenings in Scottsdale or elsewhere.

Developers also want the hotel and its restaurants to be a gathering place for the community, a place that feels wide open and inviting, where people can sit down at the diner counter or grab a quick cup of coffee on the run.

The hotel will feature the Normal, a "diner-chic" restaurant that will serve breakfast all day in addition to salads, sandwiches, shakes and La Colombe coffee, Strobel said.

It also will house a new Mexican restaurant called Tapacubo, which means hubcap. Strobel described it as a street-food outpost. The bar is made using 38,000 Mexican pesos, he said.

The coffee shop will have a window where people walking, biking or skating by can stop and get a cup.

"We want to be (the) hub for the community to come and meet," Strobel said.

Obadno
Aug 29, 2014, 5:39 PM
Looks like Big Bang didnt close, they sold to a new company:

http://ktar.com/22/1762192/New-owners-to-relaunch-closing-Tempe-piano-bar

I hate the name but at leat they are keeping it a music oriented place instead of another crappy club.

DevilsRider
Aug 29, 2014, 8:23 PM
Could just be coincidence/a common name, but I wonder if this is this the same Andrew Walter who used to QB at ASU and just ran for congress...if so, I love that he is investing in the community he went to college in!

I hate the name but at leat they are keeping it a music oriented place instead of another crappy club.

Freeway
Aug 31, 2014, 4:34 AM
Drove by the supposed site of the future USA Basketball complex today to see what progress is being made, seeing as construction was planned to begin in early Spring. There has been no progress made besides shuttering Chili's. Even that's still standing.

Is the project canceled or no?

phxSUNSfan
Aug 31, 2014, 7:33 AM
Is the project canceled or no?

USA Place has not been cancelled but the timeline has been pushed back by nearly a year. Instead of a completion date in 2015, the hotel and USA Basketball offices and facilities will be completed in 2016.

MegaBass
Aug 31, 2014, 10:01 PM
USA Place has not been cancelled but the timeline has been pushed back by nearly a year. Instead of a completion date in 2015, the hotel and USA Basketball offices and facilities will be completed in 2016.

Plus, isn't Sacks still open till December/January?

Jjs5056
Sep 1, 2014, 12:12 AM
Some news, at least for me:

1) The Tempe Municipal Garage should be gaining another tenant soon alongside Yoga to the People; Erbert and Gerbert Sandwich Shop is set to open September 11th.
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/blog/prime_cuts/2014/08/erbert-and-gerberts-sandwich-shop-opens-first.html?page=all

This might fill out the retail space within the garage as there didn't seem to be much room leftover next to Yoga to the People. Perfect timing with the Brewery opening over at the Transit Center - a healthy mix of retail in that area is needed to keep each alive. Now, for the Residence Inn to get an anchor tenant...

Meanwhile, Apache Corridor keeps trucking along with:
2) The Terraces: 1325 S. Terrace Rd; 110' - Under preliminary site plan review.
3) EASTLINE [PHASE I + II]: 2001 E. Apache Blvd.; 75' - Under preliminary site plan review.

ciweiss
Sep 2, 2014, 2:03 AM
Some pics of Skywater.

http://www.weknowurban.com/Tempe/Skywater-at-Town-Lake/

MegaBass
Sep 4, 2014, 4:00 AM
https://asunews.asu.edu/files/0827-college_avenue_commons-044.jpg

https://asunews.asu.edu/files/0827-college_avenue_commons-081.jpg

Commons provides new home for ASU construction programs, Sun Devil Welcome Center (https://asunews.asu.edu/20140902-college-ave-commons)

phoenixwillrise
Sep 4, 2014, 4:06 AM
Some pics of Skywater.

http://www.weknowurban.com/Tempe/Skywater-at-Town-Lake/

Confused is some other project or Argo?

MegaBass
Sep 4, 2014, 4:23 AM
Confused is some other project or Argo?

Argo is now known as SkyWater.

Spitfiredude
Sep 5, 2014, 9:15 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/09/05/usa-basketball-complex-coming-together/15114029/

We'll see...December is only 3 months away.

PHXFlyer11
Sep 5, 2014, 11:51 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/09/05/usa-basketball-complex-coming-together/15114029/

We'll see...December is only 3 months away.

This sounds like a positive update. Also looks like the plans were revised, due to new financing allowing for a single phase built. The event space was next to the Omni tower, now it is at the south most edge.

On the negative front, I noticed 230 W. 5th was pulled from the next DRC agenda. Not good.

Also, the Council was supposed to vote last night on an aspect of the pier 202 development. Anybody hear anything?

azsunsurfer
Sep 5, 2014, 2:40 PM
It's not always a bad thing if they pull their proposal off the agenda. Some times they need more time to work on logistics such as traffic reports, geo surveys, etc. Some times it also means that they intend to resubmit a revised design. Who knows, maybe they've decided to downscale the proposal?

MegaBass
Sep 6, 2014, 1:17 AM

New Music Venue/Bar RCK CTY to Take the Big Bang's Spot in Tempe (http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/2014/09/rck_cty_bar_music_venue_opening_big_bang_tempe.php)

PHXFlyer11
Sep 6, 2014, 7:02 PM
With HFL III ready to go vertical and Marina Heights about 5 floors from topping out, what projects do you most want to see break ground next?

For me I'd say 1) USAplace (hoping for Dec) and 2) Hotel at HFL (name is escaping me ATM) 3) Street Car

phoenixwillrise
Sep 7, 2014, 11:29 PM
With HFL III ready to go vertical and Marina Heights about 5 floors from topping out, what projects do you most want to see break ground next?

For me I'd say 1) USAplace (hoping for Dec) and 2) Hotel at HFL (name is escaping me ATM) 3) Street Car

Speaking of Marina Heights the rebar they use on that project ,looking at it from the construction camera, sure looks very minimal. I get it that it is to code but they better hope they never have a serious earthquake in Phoenix or that thing is coming down like a stack of cards and for that matter any concrete building that is built to the same code. Then again it's no where near as bad as I have seen in Fiji ,in my water filter trips there, where it looks like they are using coat hangers for rebar.

Arquitect
Sep 8, 2014, 1:42 AM
Speaking of Marina Heights the rebar they use on that project ,looking at it from the construction camera, sure looks very minimal. I get it that it is to code but they better hope they never have a serious earthquake in Phoenix or that thing is coming down like a stack of cards and for that matter any concrete building that is built to the same code. Then again it's no where near as bad as I have seen in Fiji ,in my water filter trips there, where it looks like they are using coat hangers for rebar.

Most of the load is carried by an over-engineered system of post-tension cables in the slab. A 8.0 earthquake could hit Tempe, and the building would still be standing up.

Jjs5056
Sep 8, 2014, 7:04 AM

The hotel is AC by Marriott; I'd like to see 1) whether HFL is truly mixed use, as recent articles have expressed, 2) see the Chinese deal go through and make its way through permitting in a way that makes a groundbreaking next year seem realistic - could turn Tempe into a World class city overnight, 3) whether the lot at Ash/University will build and whether they're truly topping out under 100' - the fact that no market rate residential towers exist downtown (W6 is a glorified VUE) is a problem with the amount of business/commercial coming on board... wasted opportunity to capture a huge market share and turn them into loyal Tempe residents.

I'd be excited by the AC Marriott but hate that its turning its back completely on Rio, like the entire HFL development. I know it's tricky to figure out how to address both the lake and street, but that's what designers and developers get paid to do - make solutions out of challenges. I've never been inside the HFL grounds, and likely never will, as there is nothing inviting about the way it presents itself to the street and Mill pedestrians. I hope MH is more successful, otherwise a streetcar is almost a waste all around given the inward, garage-focused nature of the projects.

Lastly, I'd like to see the small project on the north shore get built; "town lake residential" was the name, and it was 5-6 stories due to the power lines, but it was a great example of how creative developers can get with their sites and I appreciate the thought that went into the design, with live/work and retail fronting the Marina with the goal of attracting related business. It's also a horribly complicated piece of land and if this doesn't pan out, it'll definitely be a while before we see another proposal. The whole north shore in general, has been slow to pick up any momentum, which is a shame.

phoenixwillrise
Sep 8, 2014, 5:15 PM
Most of the load is carried by an over-engineered system of post-tension cables in the slab. A 8.0 earthquake could hit Tempe, and the building would still be standing up.

good to know.

Obadno
Sep 8, 2014, 5:20 PM
good to know.

Earthquake in Phoenix:haha::haha:

PHXFlyer11
Sep 8, 2014, 5:38 PM
The hotel is AC by Marriott; I'd like to see 1) whether HFL is truly mixed use, as recent articles have expressed, 2) see the Chinese deal go through and make its way through permitting in a way that makes a groundbreaking next year seem realistic - could turn Tempe into a World class city overnight, 3) whether the lot at Ash/University will build and whether they're truly topping out under 100' - the fact that no market rate residential towers exist downtown (W6 is a glorified VUE) is a problem with the amount of business/commercial coming on board... wasted opportunity to capture a huge market share and turn them into loyal Tempe residents.

I'd be excited by the AC Marriott but hate that its turning its back completely on Rio, like the entire HFL development. I know it's tricky to figure out how to address both the lake and street, but that's what designers and developers get paid to do - make solutions out of challenges. I've never been inside the HFL grounds, and likely never will, as there is nothing inviting about the way it presents itself to the street and Mill pedestrians. I hope MH is more successful, otherwise a streetcar is almost a waste all around given the inward, garage-focused nature of the projects.

Lastly, I'd like to see the small project on the north shore get built; "town lake residential" was the name, and it was 5-6 stories due to the power lines, but it was a great example of how creative developers can get with their sites and I appreciate the thought that went into the design, with live/work and retail fronting the Marina with the goal of attracting related business. It's also a horribly complicated piece of land and if this doesn't pan out, it'll definitely be a while before we see another proposal. The whole north shore in general, has been slow to pick up any momentum, which is a shame.

I am still having trouble getting my head around the Pier 202 development. The press release makes it sounds massive, but one 20-story and one 18-story building doesn't sound so massive to me, like a game changer. Don't get me wrong, it'd be wonderful, but I don't know if it's World Class or along the lines of the other financial hubs that were referenced in the article.

I think Rio has struggled with retail because of A Mountain on the other side of the street. It really creates a dead zone and quite a walk from Mill. I think most people avoid walking that way, and development can really only occur on the North Side of Rio. I would like to see in the future some sort of development in lot 59 across from Marina Heights. I'm not sure if ASU is willing to trade the tailgating spaces though.

Good point on the north side development, that would be a great project as well that puts some pressure on the holdouts with the horse property, which could be developed into something taller, although I believe it'd be severely limited by the flight path in that location, so I'm not sure it could go above 8 stories or so.

rocksteady
Sep 8, 2014, 6:00 PM

The folks in Oklahoma probably once laughed like you did. Never underestimate mother nature and where she can strike.

Jjs5056
Sep 8, 2014, 8:25 PM
I am still having trouble getting my head around the Pier 202 development. The press release makes it sounds massive, but one 20-story and one 18-story building doesn't sound so massive to me, like a game changer. Don't get me wrong, it'd be wonderful, but I don't know if it's World Class or along the lines of the other financial hubs that were referenced in the article.

I think Rio has struggled with retail because of A Mountain on the other side of the street. It really creates a dead zone and quite a walk from Mill. I think most people avoid walking that way, and development can really only occur on the North Side of Rio. I would like to see in the future some sort of development in lot 59 across from Marina Heights. I'm not sure if ASU is willing to trade the tailgating spaces though.

Good point on the north side development, that would be a great project as well that puts some pressure on the holdouts with the horse property, which could be developed into something taller, although I believe it'd be severely limited by the flight path in that location, so I'm not sure it could go above 8 stories or so.

I believe the 18 and 20-story buildings are just phase I of the project (a HQ and residential, correct?); there would eventually be more trade buildings, residential, hotel, etc. I don't understand the whole thing, either, but it sounds like a much larger project and by World Class, I mean... making more it more than a college town. Phoenix has completely flatlined in terms of bringing in new investment downtown when it comes to jobs. It put all its eggs in the biomedical bucket that has generated far less economically than originally imagined.

I think A mountain is kind of a cop-out for excusing the lack of activity along Rio Salado. HFL should've served as a Gateway between Mill and the waterfront and right now, it's more of a wall. Again, I have never walked to the waterfront - that shouldn't be the case. I should be lured to the edge of downtown to experience the city's focal point through retail and restaurant uses. Lining the street is probably not feasible, but the corner could have certainly been designed as a much more inviting entrance. If the Mill gets developed eventually, there will be little space between the Mill Ave activity and the current south lot 59 lots - in other words, the mountain isn't as large of a deterrent when you think of the Mill and Lot 59 South being built out. They're also investing in a streetcar along this corridor... if all development is inward-facing, it isn't going to be very sucessful.

For the hotel, even something as simple as a lobby that stretched from N-S with the main entrance/dropoff being inside HFL and a nice pedestrian entrance on Rio would've been just fine. But, purely throwing back-of-house elements is a shame, especially adjacent to that heinous garage.

On the north side, I believe the lot I am talking about is the horseback riding property. Here is a link to the image: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-J8ipIaZtwjY/Ux9VvBV0QTI/AAAAAAAAAA0/QJpIxD5W61U/s1600/tempe+lakeside+vicinity+map.png

The property that has long been stalled is the one that actually fronts Rural. That parcel could handle large towers, but has seen little movement.

Jjs5056
Sep 8, 2014, 8:29 PM
I forgot to mention that I also hope to see The Lofts at Hayden Ferry developed between Marina Heights and HFL; yes, it's way too short for the space, but a luxury rental component would be a big win for this stretch. It's also another one of those properties where I can't imagine a project being built if this falls through being sandwiched between the two mega-projects.

mdpx
Sep 8, 2014, 11:16 PM
The folks in Oklahoma probably once laughed like you did. Never underestimate mother nature and where she can strike.

Mother Nature has nothing to do with the earthquakes in Oklahoma. It's Corporate Nature and fraking that is causing it. All mother nature can do is react to it.

rocksteady
Sep 8, 2014, 11:49 PM
Mother Nature has nothing to do with the earthquakes in Oklahoma. It's Corporate Nature and fraking that is causing it. All mother nature can do is react to it. Okay, Washington DC would have been a better example.

PHXFlyer11
Sep 8, 2014, 11:50 PM
I forgot to mention that I also hope to see The Lofts at Hayden Ferry developed between Marina Heights and HFL; yes, it's way too short for the space, but a luxury rental component would be a big win for this stretch. It's also another one of those properties where I can't imagine a project being built if this falls through being sandwiched between the two mega-projects.

I don't know, I think someone would find that lot attractive, but it does look like the foundation work required could be a detriment as I'm sure the price tag is ungodly.

8 story apartments would've been just great there. Is it 4 or 6 we are (hopefully) settling for? I cannot recall...

ASUSunDevil
Sep 9, 2014, 12:22 AM

Drove past today and saw a new white construction sign that said Hayden Ferry Lofts in bold black letters. Looks like this project will get going very soon. :cheers:

Jjs5056
Sep 9, 2014, 1:51 AM
I don't know, I think someone would find that lot attractive, but it does look like the foundation work required could be a detriment as I'm sure the price tag is ungodly.

8 story apartments would've been just great there. Is it 4 or 6 we are (hopefully) settling for? I cannot recall...

4. :( http://www.olivermcmillan.com/places/projects/14/the_lofts_at_hayden_ferry.html

Agreed that 8 would've been great there. 8 would've been great at Argo and Hanover, too.

Spitfiredude
Sep 9, 2014, 4:45 AM
Speaking of those lofts, I drove past today to see they have posted a Maricopa air quality sign and other construction signs. Looks like this development is getting under way at last. Yes, a tad taller would have been nice. I don't like the idea of anything taller than 100' because it would stick out like a thumb among the rest, but whatever. Well this leaves one last parcel (Packard-Rural Rd) to be developed along south lake in between Ash/Rural. Honestly, I can see a hotel/residential/entertainment component at this spot. As soon as the Marina Heights development is finished, I'm sure this will be immediately developed. I like the idea of an amusement/water park/casino along the lake haha. This would be perfect lol. Obviously the casino could practically never happen.

phoenixwillrise
Sep 9, 2014, 5:45 AM

They use to laugh about earthquakes in Oklahoma ask them how that is
working for them now?

Phxguy
Sep 9, 2014, 8:03 AM
^ The New Madrid intraplate earthquakes of 1811-1812 were the largest in the U.S outside of the Alaskan Good Friday in 1964. And it's not even on a fault line! Safe to say but not to be a doomsdayer, with that 5.5 near Tucson a few months back, Phoenix can see seismic activity, although anything above a 7.0 is only something in Hollywood. Reminds me of that 70s film, Fire in the Sky, where a comet destroys Phoenix and the Hyatt crumbles in the earthquake.

Back to development news, in the photos it looks as though the ground floor will have a walkway lined with shops leading through the complex to the lake. Has retail been confirmed with this project? If so then this a great way to connect to to the waterfront.

Jjs5056
Sep 9, 2014, 8:40 AM
^ The New Madrid intraplate earthquakes of 1811-1812 were the largest in the U.S outside of the Alaskan Good Friday in 1964. And it's not even on a fault line! Safe to say but not to be a doomsdayer, with that 5.5 near Tucson a few months back, Phoenix can see seismic activity, although anything above a 7.0 is only something in Hollywood. Reminds me of that 70s film, Fire in the Sky, where a comet destroys Phoenix and the Hyatt crumbles in the earthquake.

Back to development news, in the photos it looks as though the ground floor will have a walkway lined with shops leading through the complex to the lake. Has retail been confirmed with this project? If so then this a great way to connect to to the waterfront.

This has not been confirmed - all news references a single-use, retail project. I wouldn't be surprised if those are simply overexaggerated renderings of what are actually just the clubhouse, fitness center and leasing office.

I'd love to be wrong, though. Definitely what I meant when I said these projects need to draw pedestrians through better.

As far as Rural/University, I think I'd wait to see what becomes of the immediate ASU District parcels like Packard and Karsten. However, something like an Arizona Sports Museum or destination/attraction would be great for the area and make a streetcar more sensible than just connecting master-planned offices.

If streetcar does run down Rio, this might be a place for a transit center to connect to the future BRT that will run down Rural from Chandler-Scottsdale. In fact, for now, that's my preferred use: a mixed-use transit center that links streetcar line A (current line down to Riverview) with line B (south on Rural-west on McDowell, south on Galvin to Broadway/Fountainhead) and BRT. Arizona Sports Museum and sports bar could fill the retail space, with the Stadium District HQ and boutique hotel above for a decent-sized tower.

One day, I'd love to see the remaining Pier 202 land developed with real, lake-fronting retail allowing for boat rides between the residential development (including an Onyx-like tower) and there. I don't see why a water park wouldn't work - these developments will all be inward-facing and turn their back on Rio, so it's not like it'd have to be planned very urbanly.

rocksteady
Sep 9, 2014, 4:26 PM
Speaking of those lofts, I drove past today to see they have posted a Maricopa air quality sign and other construction signs. Looks like this development is getting under way at last. Yes, a tad taller would have been nice. I don't like the idea of anything taller than 100' because it would stick out like a thumb among the rest, but whatever. Well this leaves one last parcel (Packard-Rural Rd) to be developed along south lake in between Ash/Rural. Honestly, I can see a hotel/residential/entertainment component at this spot. As soon as the Marina Heights development is finished, I'm sure this will be immediately developed. I like the idea of an amusement/water park/casino along the lake haha. This would be perfect lol. Obviously the casino could practically never happen. I would love some sort of "attraction" along the lake. Would love to see it lined with floating bars, restaurants, etc.

Do you all remember that massive, upscale waterpark/resort that was supposed to be built nearby before the recession with diving, snorkling, rafting, indoor wave pool, resort, villas? This would be a perfect "attraction" for the area, unfortunately I don't think there is room left on the south shore anymore. http://www.waveyard.com/

edit: Waveyard's original site rests at the southeast corner of the Loops 101 & 202 interchange. Waveyard will be in close proximity to the Mesa Riverview retail development, Phoenix's Sky Harbor airport and Arizona State University (ASU). Waveyard's main entrance will also sit door to door with Bass Pro Shop's newest location, which is scheduled to open this May.

Leo the Dog
Sep 10, 2014, 5:58 AM
I remember this and was excited about it. Waveyard was a big deal. Mesa beat out Surprise in landing the deal. Mesa was chosen because of its close proximity to sky harbor and close to Scottsdale resorts. Cubs new spring training facility now sits on the site.

Classical in Phoenix
Sep 10, 2014, 5:14 PM
delete

dtnphx
Sep 11, 2014, 4:25 PM
The Newport at Tempe to break ground later this month

http://azbigmedia.com/featured/newport-tempe-break-ground-month?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=AZ-CRE-REPORT&utm_campaign=GPEConnect

Jjs5056
Sep 11, 2014, 8:21 PM
The Newport at Tempe to break ground later this month

http://azbigmedia.com/featured/newport-tempe-break-ground-month?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=AZ-CRE-REPORT&utm_campaign=GPEConnect

Nice. And, good to know of the connection between Bandersnatch and RevoBar.

This type of development would be great along Farmer or on some of the vacant land between Mill and College. Dense, Townhome projects really add an urban edge to a city's fringe.

MissingAZ
Sep 13, 2014, 4:24 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/story/money/real-estate/catherine-reagor/2014/09/12/luxury-townhomes-built-near-asu-tempe-campus/15543523/

Infill project in downtown Tempe. Only 3 or 4 stories and the one picture shown looks a little tacky for my tastes but nice to see more development east of campus.

Jjs5056
Sep 13, 2014, 4:45 PM
The 'east' bit must be a typo- the address is 421 W 6th, which is just west of Farmer. Great location next to Encore and the Roosevelt Townhomes. Depending on how much land was purchased, there might be some frontage onto Farmer, which would be nice.

PHXFlyer11
Sep 13, 2014, 8:36 PM
Here's the web site: http://421west.com/

Just the one external rendering. Not bad.

Jjs5056
Sep 14, 2014, 1:58 AM
Floorplan shows the site: http://421west.com/pdf/UnitB.pdf

Looks like it won't quite reach Farmer or Wilson, which is a shame, since the homes on both streets are in rough shape. Though, I guess the hope can be that more investment in the area increases the chances that they'll get cleaned up? Should be able to see them from Ash, or Farmer at least, given the height. Given the talk about car-free living, a 2-car garage seems a bit... extravagant, no? Is that standard for townhomes being built on the light rail? I guess if it encourages true home-ownership, and even families, than the trade-off is almost worth it.

Yikes, I hate the floorplans, too. I haven't looked at many others for comparison, but the "den" is an add-on to the garage, and in the second floorplan, is the only living space on that level - the others add a powder room, which still wouldn't sell me on paying more money to what is basically the equivalent of 1 finished room in an otherwise unfinished basement. I also hate not having a powder room on the main living level which is consistent across all plans. The 4-level plans add a "master living space" which seems redundant with what they're trying to make the den out to be. I'm sure a lot of this is common in townhomes, but meh... I was already biased given the faux-ish architecture, though.

dtnphx
Sep 15, 2014, 3:40 PM
Lease Deal Paves Way for $350M USA Place Project in Tempe

By Liviu Oltean, Associate Editor

In a milestone for the $350 million USA Place project in Tempe, the developers and Arizona State University officials have reached agreement on a 99-year lease for a site near the school’s campus. The deal paves the way for a December groundbreaking.

Located on an 11-acre site on the east side of Mill Avenue, USA Place will consist of a 220-room Omni Hotel, a 4,500-seat event center, a 30,000-square-foot conference center, 500 luxury apartments, 160,000 square feet of retail, and up to 200,000 square feet of office space, as CPE reported in August 2013. USA Place will also be the future headquarters of USA Basketball, the national governing body for men’s and women’s basketball.

The development team, USA Place L.L.C., is led by Susan Eastridge, CEO of Concord Eastridge; Michael Hallmark, co-founder of Future Cities, the project’s master planner; and Robert Harris, CEO of Harris Sports & Entertainment. Their initial plan was a phased build-out, but that is no longer the case, as the The Arizona Republic reported.

“This is an exciting and an incredible opportunity that offers nothing but positives for USA Basketball,” said USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo in an statement. “USA Place will offer USA Basketball an excellent site for the development of its office headquarters, a training center and event center that will provide the organization with a first-class site for hosting junior level events and will allow USA Basketball to continue to evolve.”

http://www.multihousingnews.com/cities/phoenix/lease-deal-paves-way-for-350m-usa-place-project-in-tempe/1004107657.html

PHXFlyer11
Sep 15, 2014, 4:56 PM
Lease Deal Paves Way for $350M USA Place Project in Tempe

By Liviu Oltean, Associate Editor

In a milestone for the $350 million USA Place project in Tempe, the developers and Arizona State University officials have reached agreement on a 99-year lease for a site near the school’s campus. The deal paves the way for a December groundbreaking.

Located on an 11-acre site on the east side of Mill Avenue, USA Place will consist of a 220-room Omni Hotel, a 4,500-seat event center, a 30,000-square-foot conference center, 500 luxury apartments, 160,000 square feet of retail, and up to 200,000 square feet of office space, as CPE reported in August 2013. USA Place will also be the future headquarters of USA Basketball, the national governing body for men’s and women’s basketball.

The development team, USA Place L.L.C., is led by Susan Eastridge, CEO of Concord Eastridge; Michael Hallmark, co-founder of Future Cities, the project’s master planner; and Robert Harris, CEO of Harris Sports & Entertainment. Their initial plan was a phased build-out, but that is no longer the case, as the The Arizona Republic reported.

“This is an exciting and an incredible opportunity that offers nothing but positives for USA Basketball,” said USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo in an statement. “USA Place will offer USA Basketball an excellent site for the development of its office headquarters, a training center and event center that will provide the organization with a first-class site for hosting junior level events and will allow USA Basketball to continue to evolve.”

http://www.multihousingnews.com/cities/phoenix/lease-deal-paves-way-for-350m-usa-place-project-in-tempe/1004107657.html

I can't tell if this is an actual update or if this web site is just reporting based-off of the AZCentral article from two weeks ago? Is the reaching of an agreement the new news here?

Spitfiredude
Sep 15, 2014, 6:56 PM
Work has started on the Lofts at HF. They are doing site work right now. I assume there won't be too much grading to do since the site already sits 15-20' below ground and I know they wanted to put one level underground parking. So hopefully it moves along fast. Is it possible we saw a tower crane like we saw for Skywater? No site movement for AC Hotel yet.

PHXFlyer11
Sep 15, 2014, 7:13 PM
Work has started on the Lofts at HF. They are doing site work right now. I assume there won't be too much grading to do since the site already sits 15-20' below ground and I know they wanted to put one level underground parking. So hopefully it moves along fast. Is it possible we saw a tower crane like we saw for Skywater? No site movement for AC Hotel yet.

Thanks for sharing, good to know. Happy to have an influx of new projects starting since University House II, Marina Heights and HFL III have all gone vertical (almost). Hopefully we truly get a December start on USA Place.

Has anyone driven by or taken pictures of Encore II? I haven't been by it in a few weeks...

Jjs5056
Sep 15, 2014, 9:04 PM
Thanks for sharing, good to know. Happy to have an influx of new projects starting since University House II, Marina Heights and HFL III have all gone vertical (almost). Hopefully we truly get a December start on USA Place.

Has anyone driven by or taken pictures of Encore II? I haven't been by it in a few weeks...

Is Encore II (The Residences on Farmer) officially underway? Great news if so- bringing a retail component to the area will hopefully pave the way for a more diverse neighborhood.

Spitfiredude
Sep 15, 2014, 9:41 PM
Is Encore II (The Residences on Farmer) officially underway? Great news if so- bringing a retail component to the area will hopefully pave the way for a more diverse neighborhood.

Believe so. Not sure though. I thought the site was to sit to the north of the current Encore at 5th/Farmer, but the site work is going on south of the current Encore. If so, that would make more sense and that site is certainly under construction. If so that would leave pretty much two lots remaining between 5th/University along Farmer for development. I'll go by between now and tomorrow and look at the environmental quality sign to see what the project is.

dtnphx
Sep 15, 2014, 9:49 PM
I can't tell if this is an actual update or if this web site is just reporting based-off of the AZCentral article from two weeks ago? Is the reaching of an agreement the new news here?

That's how I read it. It seems that the agreement hinged on getting the right lease deal from ASU. Now that it's been agreed to, work can begin, so I think this is new news.

phoenixwillrise
Sep 15, 2014, 11:32 PM

I thought this was the group that was told to redesign as they had some cheesy stucco design thing going contrasting this project with the adjacent classy HF glass buildings and the fairly well designed Marina Heights Buildings.

ciweiss
Sep 16, 2014, 7:36 PM
http://421west.com/about-421-west-6th-street.php

421 mentions Whole Foods on University and Ash again. Any updates on when this will start?

Jjs5056
Sep 16, 2014, 10:09 PM
Okay, to clear up some things posted:

1. Spitfire: The Residences on Farmer was supposed to be north of the current Encore. If there is site work going on to the south, this is either a) a new project we haven't heard about, b) indeed The Residences and perhaps the developer owns the entire strip and switched locations, c) part of the Sam Fox development... he was quoted as saying he was going to do more than just extend his part of the University - lake pedestrian path; perhaps he is going to do the whole thing?

2. Phoenixwillrise: No, the Lofts at Hayden Ferry has always been approved as designed; the design is rather nice... you are thinking of the apartments that were proposed for SouthBank that were horribly suburban looking and ultimately denied twice.

3. Ciweiss: Almost every project going back to about 2008 has mentioned the Whole Foods project as an amenity; I wouldn't read too much into its mention as a sign that it is coming any sooner. The Tempe site lists Ash/University as being under preliminary review at only 82' which would be a real shame as we were all hoping for a tower of around 21 stories. 80~ feet is only 5 stories, which is where downtown seems to be stuck with Argo/Skywater, Hanover, USA Place (residential), etc. topping out around that height.

phoenixwillrise
Sep 17, 2014, 4:12 PM
Okay, to clear up some things posted:

1. Spitfire: The Residences on Farmer was supposed to be north of the current Encore. If there is site work going on to the south, this is either a) a new project we haven't heard about, b) indeed The Residences and perhaps the developer owns the entire strip and switched locations, c) part of the Sam Fox development... he was quoted as saying he was going to do more than just extend his part of the University - lake pedestrian path; perhaps he is going to do the whole thing?

2. Phoenixwillrise: No, the Lofts at Hayden Ferry has always been approved as designed; the design is rather nice... you are thinking of the apartments that were proposed for SouthBank that were horribly suburban looking and ultimately denied twice.

3. Ciweiss: Almost every project going back to about 2008 has mentioned the Whole Foods project as an amenity; I wouldn't read too much into its mention as a sign that it is coming any sooner. The Tempe site lists Ash/University as being under preliminary review at only 82' which would be a real shame as we were all hoping for a tower of around 21 stories. 80~ feet is only 5 stories, which is where downtown seems to be stuck with Argo/Skywater, Hanover, USA Place (residential), etc. topping out around that height.

Thanks JJS

dtnphx
Sep 18, 2014, 4:08 PM
LANDMARK MONTI'S RESTAURANT SITE IN TEMPE TO GET HOTEL AND OFFICE TOWERS

http://www.brewaz.com/content/index_story_free.php?story_id=9589&volume_num=XX&issue_num=37&issue_date=September

rocksteady
Sep 18, 2014, 4:49 PM
LANDMARK MONTI'S RESTAURANT SITE IN TEMPE TO GET HOTEL AND OFFICE TOWERS

http://www.brewaz.com/content/index_story_free.php?story_id=9589&volume_num=XX&issue_num=37&issue_date=September Great news, sounds like a similar plan that was supposed to happen before the recession. Glad to see this taking off again.

Jjs5056
Sep 18, 2014, 6:01 PM
Great news, sounds like a similar plan that was supposed to happen before the recession. Glad to see this taking off again.

Now we're talking. 16 and 14 stories, with a boutique hotel and ground level retail... it's likely too good to be true, but man, I hope it happens. :)

Tempe_Duck
Sep 18, 2014, 6:12 PM
Great news, sounds like a similar plan that was supposed to happen before the recession. Glad to see this taking off again.

Wasn't that project going to have the tower cantilever over the top of the Adobe building (the restaurant)? I wonder how they are going to integrate it this time.

MegaBass
Sep 18, 2014, 7:03 PM
ASU adds student-athletic building to Sun Devil Stadium project (http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu/2014/09/17/asu-adds-student-athletic-building-to-sun-devil-stadium-project/15720049/)

On Monday, when Ray Anderson announced the combined $1 million gift he and Todd Graham were making toward a new Sun Devil Stadium, he promised more fundraising specifics soon.

Two days later, Arizona State filed an amended capital-development plan with the Arizona Board of Regents that increases the project budget to $256 million and includes a student-athletic building at the north end of the stadium.

The 84,500-square-foot facility is an addition to the project made possible because of early fundraising success.

The overall fundraising goal is now $85 million — up from $50 million — with $56 million designated to help pay directly for the stadium and the remainder for bond debt service (on $200 million) and operating costs. Public funds are not being used for the stadium, which also will be paid for by athletic-facilities-district revenue and increased stadium revenue, which includes naming rights.

"The more we work through what we need and what we want from both a functional and a fan-experience perspective, the more we recognize what needs to be done through our fundraising efforts," Anderson said. "So we're accelerating our efforts, if anything."

The $256 million budget, pending approval by the regents, is up from a projected $210 million to $225 million. Reconstruction of the stadium will be completed in phases, with ASU continuing to play football in its home since 1958. Completion of the project is projected for August 2017.

Final plans for the student-athletic facility are not yet made, including how much of it will be for football and how much for other athletes. It will be integrated into the stadium and include office/administrative spaces, meeting rooms, support space, study rooms, storage/equipment space, locker rooms plus lounge, training and conferences areas.

The new building will open up space at the Carson Center at the south end of the stadium, which is now close to capacity use. ASU's current space for athlete academic services is among the lowest in the Pac-12.

"The student-athletic facility is a commitment from the university to the men and women who have the privilege of representing Sun Devil athletics," Anderson said. "Every student-athlete who passes through here will know their commitment to ASU is reciprocated."

The ASU football team currently enters the stadium through the Tillman Tunnel at the south end. No decision has been made whether that will continue or if the tunnel will be moved to the north end.

Updated SDS renderings are expected to be revealed around November.

Postino Winecafe at the Art Annex will open Wednesday October 1.

Jjs5056
Sep 18, 2014, 8:43 PM
Wasn't that project going to have the tower cantilever over the top of the Adobe building (the restaurant)? I wonder how they are going to integrate it this time.

These designs sound less scifi. 6,000 of the northern part of the Adobe Building will be preserved (out of 9,000 total square feet) with the development creating a U shape around it. Sounds much more respectable, and the heights shouldn't cause too great of a canyon effect which was a concern of the original proposal.

PHXFlyer11
Sep 18, 2014, 8:57 PM
These designs sound less scifi. 6,000 of the northern part of the Adobe Building will be preserved (out of 9,000 total square feet) with the development creating a U shape around it. Sounds much more respectable, and the heights shouldn't cause too great of a canyon effect which was a concern of the original proposal.

I agree. This project is much more realistic, and I think this happens, and on-time. Sound legitimate all the way around.

This is great, as Marina Heights and HFLIII will probably be topped out long before this begins, then USAplace hopefully starts in December with the AC Marriott somewhere in there, and then this next summer! Congrats Tempe!

Jjs5056
Sep 19, 2014, 12:23 AM
I can't believe the hotel market in Tempe. Post-boom, they've gotten:
1) Residence Inn by Marriott
2) AC by Marriott
3) Palms Hotel renovation
4) Kimpton Hotels
5) Omni Hotels and Resorts

...all in quite a small area. This should do wonders for the retail scene.

I'm actually more excited about this then USA Place, which only brings one 14-story tower. Obviously, USA Place is a game-changer in the total product it will be bringing, but I can't stop picturing an end-result that seems totally faux urban and segregated from both Mill and ASU. And, I wish at least 1 additional tower was included. Lastly, the revolution of the northern end of Mill has been interesting to see develop, while USA Place is across from properties that have little redevelopment potential.

One property sticks out like a sore thumb amongst all of this: The Mill! I really wish at least a 2-story addition could be added for the interim on the west side to connect it to the street with retail on the first level and either offices or lofts atop. Kudos to the city for what its done, but it still isn't attracting enough pedestrian traffic to keep up with what's going on around it. There's always Ash/University, which I am scared we'll hear details on soon about its 80' project.

PHXFlyer11
Sep 19, 2014, 12:32 AM
I can't believe the hotel market in Tempe. Post-boom, they've gotten:
1) Residence Inn by Marriott
2) AC by Marriott
3) Palms Hotel renovation
4) Kimpton Hotels
5) Omni Hotels and Resorts

...all in quite a small area. This should do wonders for the retail scene.

I'm actually more excited about this then USA Place, which only brings one 14-story tower. Obviously, USA Place is a game-changer in the total product it will be bringing, but I can't stop picturing an end-result that seems totally faux urban and segregated from both Mill and ASU. And, I wish at least 1 additional tower was included. Lastly, the revolution of the northern end of Mill has been interesting to see develop, while USA Place is across from properties that have little redevelopment potential.

One property sticks out like a sore thumb amongst all of this: The Mill! I really wish at least a 2-story addition could be added for the interim on the west side to connect it to the street with retail on the first level and either offices or lofts atop. Kudos to the city for what its done, but it still isn't attracting enough pedestrian traffic to keep up with what's going on around it. There's always Ash/University, which I am scared we'll hear details on soon about its 80' project.

Before I finished reading your post my mind also instantly went to the mill. The mill and the parking lot (city owned?) next to Rula Bula. I think the Monti's project will push Tempe to again look at proposals for the mill. Does anyone have any old renderings? I recalled ideas to build retail and condos, somehow... Maybe I'm crazy though.

Jjs5056
Sep 19, 2014, 2:25 AM
Before I finished reading your post my mind also instantly went to the mill. The mill and the parking lot (city owned?) next to Rula Bula. I think the Monti's project will push Tempe to again look at proposals for the mill. Does anyone have any old renderings? I recalled ideas to build retail and condos, somehow... Maybe I'm crazy though.

The plans involved what I described - building retail between the mill and Mill Ave, along with a large glass addition to the eastern portion that would wrap around the entire mill and would serve as a museum for the artifacts found, and also showcase a water exhibit exemplifying how the Hohokam used the canals as power; a wine bar and boutiques were planned for the retail annex frontage as well as the glass centerpiece. Phase II would've converted the silos into a boutique hotel. "Avenue will later build 500,000 square feet of offices, condos and shops on the site, though no timeline has been set."

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5568/15096978599_519d22809f_m.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/p14XLt) https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3846/15280610141_ab875dcb63_m.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/phi82x) https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2941/15097178967_a3e7dce496_m.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/p15Zk6)

This was the second major proposal for the mill - by Avenue Communities (developer of CenterPointe). The first was in the 90's by the developer behind the Brickyard, Gordon Biersch building and the Hooters restoration. However, that plan included blowing out a piece of A mountain and faced huge opposition. By the time they had a new plan, they were sliding into bankruptcy and Tempe took back ownership of the land.

As for the parking lot, it's actually owned by The Palms Resort, AFAIK. It would be great to see 5-6 story mixed use lofts lining that entire parking lot on the way to the renovated Mill and dense lakefront.

PHXFlyer11
Sep 19, 2014, 3:41 AM
This was the second major proposal for the mill - by Avenue Communities (developer of CenterPointe). The first was in the 90's by the developer behind the Brickyard, Gordon Biersch building and the Hooters restoration. However, that plan included blowing out a piece of A mountain and faced huge opposition. By the time they had a new plan, they were sliding into bankruptcy and Tempe took back ownership of the land.

As for the parking lot, it's actually owned by The Palms Resort, AFAIK. It would be great to see 5-6 story mixed use lofts lining that entire parking lot on the way to the renovated Mill and dense lakefront.

Thanks for digging, awesome proposal, but I can't see the project coming to life in that form today. I googled the old Monti's proposal, it too was outlandish. I don't think retail would be viable for the mill anymore, but I could see 20-30 high-end condos being built there. Maybe with ground level museum/retail. I'm going to ping the council and see if I can't get some interest, they seem to really be thinking big lately, so who knows, maybe they would consider RFPing it out again.

I knew Mission Palms had some land there, but I assumed it was the back lot between the butte and hotel. I wasn't sure if the two rows of parking along the street was their or not. I know they had a huge expansion proposal back in the day as well. I'd say at this point with Twin Palms remodel, AC Marriot, USAplace Renaissance and now this proposed Monti's project that they missed the boat. Not sure what they would consider doing with that land now.

Jjs5056
Sep 19, 2014, 4:03 AM
Thanks for digging, awesome proposal, but I can't see the project coming to life in that form today. I googled the old Monti's proposal, it too was outlandish. I don't think retail would be viable for the mill anymore, but I could see 20-30 high-end condos being built there. Maybe with ground level museum/retail. I'm going to ping the council and see if I can't get some interest, they seem to really be thinking big lately, so who knows, maybe they would consider RFPing it out again.

I knew Mission Palms had some land there, but I assumed it was the back lot between the butte and hotel. I wasn't sure if the two rows of parking along the street was their or not. I know they had a huge expansion proposal back in the day as well. I'd say at this point with Twin Palms remodel, AC Marriot, USAplace Renaissance and now this proposed Monti's project that they missed the boat. Not sure what they would consider doing with that land now.

Why don't you think retail is viable for the mill property? Just curious. With two hotels in walking distance and the Gateway tenants across the street, I think retail on the western side fronting Mill Ave would do quite well.

For the rest of the land, I like the idea of using it as more of a community space. It would be great if a similar glass annex could be added to house the artifacts already collected, along with maybe a bakery where you could see the prep being done from outdoors to tie into the mill's history. For the north end, a small midrise with maybe a downtown community center, library and city museum branch, coworking lab, and artist live/work spaces and/or galleries might be a good mix.

No matter what, it would be a huge attraction to the thousands of hotel guests at the nearby Kimpton and AC Marriott as a symbol of the city.

There's definitely a chance that a portion of the lot belongs to the City. I assumed from previous discussions and the matching landscaped wall that it all belonged to The Mission Palms. Residential, again, would be a really great addition to that area with the current mix on tap.

PHXFlyer11
Sep 19, 2014, 4:34 AM
Why don't you think retail is viable for the mill property? Just curious. With two hotels in walking distance and the Gateway tenants across the street, I think retail on the western side fronting Mill Ave would do quite well.

For the rest of the land, I like the idea of using it as more of a community space. It would be great if a similar glass annex could be added to house the artifacts already collected, along with maybe a bakery where you could see the prep being done from outdoors to tie into the mill's history. For the north end, a small midrise with maybe a downtown community center, library and city museum branch, coworking lab, and artist live/work spaces and/or galleries might be a good mix.

No matter what, it would be a huge attraction to the thousands of hotel guests at the nearby Kimpton and AC Marriott as a symbol of the city.

There's definitely a chance that a portion of the lot belongs to the City. I assumed from previous discussions and the matching landscaped wall that it all belonged to The Mission Palms. Residential, again, would be a really great addition to that area with the current mix on tap.

It's not that retail itself wouldn't be viable, it's that the cost of construction and preservation would likely be so high that no developer would be able to get their money back on retail alone. They wouldn't be able to charge the extremely high rents they'd need to turn a profit. The city would have to subsidize the construction cost.

Now if they built some high-end condos over retail that could potentially work. I could see 15-20 people willing to shell out $700k-$1.2m to live in ultra modern condos as a historic mill.... Maybe.

Jjs5056
Sep 19, 2014, 5:03 AM
It's not that retail itself wouldn't be viable, it's that the cost of construction and preservation would likely be so high that no developer would be able to get their money back on retail alone. They wouldn't be able to charge the extremely high rents they'd need to turn a profit. The city would have to subsidize the construction cost.

Now if they built some high-end condos over retail that could potentially work. I could see 15-20 people willing to shell out $700k-$1.2m to live in ultra modern condos as a historic mill.... Maybe.

I'd imagine much of the preservation work has been done already. Any retail added along Mill would new construction that wouldn't even be structurally attached to the mill itself.

I'd be okay with either offices or lofts above that retail space, as long as it didn't overwhelm the mill, and that any other new construction be more community-focused or included affordable units. I think the whole "wine bar" craze of Tempe developments was ill-sighted back in the day, and would hate to see a return to a luxury-only planning cycle. As great as these new developments are, it's still a growing city that is - at heart - a college town and I think it needs to keep somewhat of a casual edge to stay authentic.

MissingAZ
Sep 19, 2014, 5:22 AM
I don't like the modern buildings next to the mill. I like the mill being old and authentic. Montis development sounds great, I think the area needs that sort of anchor on the north end but to throw a modern cube type building in front of the mill doesn't work well. It clashes styles and hides the mill. I'd love to see the outside of the mill retained and the inside turned into apartments or a boutique hotel. Just so long as it looks like "the mill" still.

Jjs5056
Sep 19, 2014, 5:27 AM
I don't like the modern buildings next to the mill. I like the mill being old and authentic. Montis development sounds great, I think the area needs that sort of anchor on the north end but to throw a modern cube type building in front of the mill doesn't work well. It clashes styles and hides the mill. I'd love to see the outside of the mill retained and the inside turned into apartments or a boutique hotel. Just so long as it looks like "the mill" still.

HP guidelines actually prefer that additions to historic structures be modern and contrast with the original vs. any kind of faux historic attempt. I very much like the contrast, but keep in mind that the original design included floors of offices and retail; A smaller version holding just a bakery and artifacts would look much more in scale (and not go over the mill, just to the back of it).

I've never heard of the mill being renovated into anything usable, only the silos. It may be too small to turn into anything that would be profitable. But, certainly lofts would be very cool if possible. I think Tempe has reached its limit for hotels.

poconoboy61
Sep 19, 2014, 5:34 PM
Honestly the mill needs to be torn down if it can't be rehabbed. It's an eyesore and it looks out of place with Tempe's expanding downtown. It should be demolished and a plaque with some pictures of the place can be put on site and real work can take place.

No one wants to pay top dollar to live on a structurally deficient flour mill. It's clear that it's just left alone for nostalgia purposes, but it serves no good use.

Spitfiredude
Sep 19, 2014, 6:56 PM
As a downtown Tempe resident, I really like the Mill as is. I think it serves as a daily reminder of Tempe's history. I see people walking past it everyday looking at the plaques and memorials they have along the structure. Also, every other weekend there is an event going on outside in the new park/lawn they have put int. Its not dead if anyone thinks it is. Honestly, I think they just need to throw some paint on it and set it up as a museum and maybe put a small bakery inside (to go along with the theme). It can show the history of the Mill along with the entire city of Tempe. I think adding modern features to it would be strange and tearing it down would be absurd. Not every spot in Tempe needs to be developed. Its nice to have some history preserved and a park that hosts small events.

Tito714
Sep 19, 2014, 7:06 PM
I love the mill. I think its awesome.

Jjs5056
Sep 19, 2014, 8:05 PM
As a downtown Tempe resident, I really like the Mill as is. I think it serves as a daily reminder of Tempe's history. I see people walking past it everyday looking at the plaques and memorials they have along the structure. Also, every other weekend there is an event going on outside in the new park/lawn they have put int. Its not dead if anyone thinks it is. Honestly, I think they just need to throw some paint on it and set it up as a museum and maybe put a small bakery inside (to go along with the theme). It can show the history of the Mill along with the entire city of Tempe. I think adding modern features to it would be strange and tearing it down would be absurd. Not every spot in Tempe needs to be developed. Its nice to have some history preserved and a park that hosts small events.

I agree that it definitely needs to be preserved. However, Tempe already has beach park and given that it is prime real estate, I do think some modern additions that are respectful to the original structure while adding retail and community-focused elements would be beneficial to all parties and help connect the lake to downtown, which is really vital. The current setup is a great temporary use, but that corner needs and deserves to be much more of a gateway both into downtown and into the lakefront area.

Nothing taller than the mill, or if so, nothing that would dwarf it/ruin views from the bridge and 202. Additions to the front and back for retail, and a small midrise to the north would be perfect.

No one wants to pay top dollar to live on a structurally deficient flour mill. It's clear that it's just left alone for nostalgia purposes, but it serves no good use.

Please don't state opinion as fact. Plenty would pay to live in lofts if the mill or silos were to be converted. Living in one of the few historic landmarks in downtown Tempe with views and easy access to the lake and downtown? It would be an easy sell. The issue of it being structurally sound is irrelevant - neither would be converted if that couldn't be corrected.

It serves as a gateway into downtown Tempe, is a reminder of the city's routes, and is the reason why MILL Ave even exists. Downtown Tempe is modernizing quickly and the need to preserve its few remaining historic assets is critical for it to have any authentic feel and differentiate itself from competitor mid-sized cities. Glass boxes can be found in any city. It's elements like the mill that give a city its unique charm and identity.

Spitfiredude
Sep 19, 2014, 8:18 PM
It serves as a gateway into downtown Tempe, is a reminder of the city's routes, and is the reason why MILL Ave even exists. Downtown Tempe is modernizing quickly and the need to preserve its few remaining historic assets is critical for it to have any authentic feel and differentiate itself from competitor mid-sized cities. Glass boxes can be found in any city. It's elements like the mill that give a city its unique charm and identity.

Spot on. :tup: That's one of the reasons I love Tempe so much. The city and ASU have done a great job in preserving many historic buildings in downtown. This is one of the reasons this city is so unique. Preserving the old while intermixing the new.

On another note, is there any plans for the old community center on the NE corner of Ash/Rio Salado. Its an eyesore, but I think it would be a good spot for some sort of development (residential). If this and the spot on Farmer/Rio (along railroad tracks) were developed into 5-10 story midrises, I think it would be pretty cool looking and complementary.

That site along the railroad tracks....is that the site that the one family refuses to sell. The piece of crap lot that looks like a junk yard? How is there no code violations on this lot.

PHXFlyer11
Sep 19, 2014, 8:48 PM
On another note, is there any plans for the old community center on the NE corner of Ash/Rio Salado. Its an eyesore, but I think it would be a good spot for some sort of development (residential). If this and the spot on Farmer/Rio (along railroad tracks) were developed into 5-10 story midrises, I think it would be pretty cool looking and complementary.

That site along the railroad tracks....is that the site that the one family refuses to sell. The piece of crap lot that looks like a junk yard? How is there no code violations on this lot.

I was wondering the same thing the other day. That corner of the park looks like crap. Condos overlooking the park would be awesome, but I don't know if I see that happening.

The goods news is, properties continued to get gobbled up and developed at a pace we haven't seen. While some projects such as like the one next to W Sixth seem to be a waste, it is creating a scarcity of land. When that happens, we'll see more single story and older buildings (non-historic) demolished to make room for higher-density projects.

We won't like every project, but the market is speaking, and drastically changing to require projects to be dense and urban in order to be economically viable as land costs increase.

ciweiss
Sep 19, 2014, 9:17 PM
I agree that it definitely needs to be preserved. However, Tempe already has beach park and given that it is prime real estate, I do think some modern additions that are respectful to the original structure while adding retail and community-focused elements would be beneficial to all parties and help connect the lake to downtown, which is really vital. The current setup is a great temporary use, but that corner needs and deserves to be much more of a gateway both into downtown and into the lakefront area.

Nothing taller than the mill, or if so, nothing that would dwarf it/ruin views from the bridge and 202. Additions to the front and back for retail, and a small midrise to the north would be perfect.

Please don't state opinion as fact. Plenty would pay to live in lofts if the mill or silos were to be converted. Living in one of the few historic landmarks in downtown Tempe with views and easy access to the lake and downtown? It would be an easy sell. The issue of it being structurally sound is irrelevant - neither would be converted if that couldn't be corrected.

I would love to see the Mill renovated but the structure stay the same. Perhaps a coffee shop/wine bar be added to a deck on the top with a great view. And on the bottom they could put in a bakery and high end restaurant. Some inside/outside seats and perhaps a few trellis/shade trees and grass and pavers all around you and you should be good to go. Why not another park connecting to Tempe beach park. You can always develop it later if it doesn't work out.