PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117

ciweiss
Apr 6, 2017, 10:42 PM
Interesting discussion on Rio Salado, Ash and 1st St. Study

http://www.tempe.gov/city-hall/public-works/transportation/1st-st-ash-rio-salado-design-concepts

muertecaza
Apr 7, 2017, 8:17 PM
Per city commission agendas, 100 Mill developer is asking for a 1-year extension on its entitlements, which expire in May. Sounds like they have had trouble getting financing. They represent that they intend to start building "first or second quarter of 2018," but seems doubtful at this point.

RichTempe
Apr 8, 2017, 8:26 AM
The 2 tower cranes by night for the 7th Street Mixed-Use project.

This is looking west from 7th St & College. The top of W6 is in the lower right.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3941/33063678054_e18daf3f89_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/SnHZyJ)

somethingfast
Apr 8, 2017, 7:07 PM
Although more jobs coming to Tempe and overall great news, sucks it comes at the expense of jobs in downtown Phoenix and the location of new campus being outside of downtown Tempe.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2017/03/30/jpmorgan-chase-building-big-new-campus-landing-4.html

Phoenix needs to get dynamic/creative if they don't want to continue losing jobs to Tempe. Phoenix should consider incorporating a water element or seriously increased shading elements. Or even a Riverwalk type of thing. Tempe has all the cache right now and it started with Town Lake. So f--- Phoenix if they aren't willing to create a reason for DT development. A skytower...something. Bring people downtown inogranically. There has to be a draw. I don't see any real hi-rises in DT Phoenix for some time unless they manufacture a pull to it. Phoenix's loss is Tempe's gain and it will continue. I work for a major financial services firm in Tempe (Grand Papago area) and they are expanding in Tempe bc of its overall mix of location, ASU, and simple "cool" factor. Phoenix needs to get its act together.

ASUSunDevil
Apr 8, 2017, 9:36 PM
Phoenix needs to get dynamic/creative if they don't want to continue losing jobs to Tempe. Phoenix should consider incorporating a water element or seriously increased shading elements. Or even a Riverwalk type of thing. Tempe has all the cache right now and it started with Town Lake. So f--- Phoenix if they aren't willing to create a reason for DT development. A skytower...something. Bring people downtown inogranically. There has to be a draw. I don't see any real hi-rises in DT Phoenix for some time unless they manufacture a pull to it. Phoenix's loss is Tempe's gain and it will continue. I work for a major financial services firm in Tempe (Grand Papago area) and they are expanding in Tempe bc of its overall mix of location, ASU, and simple "cool" factor. Phoenix needs to get its act together.

Completely agree. Tempe is evolving with the younger generation and Phoenix has it's feet stuck in the mud. Downtown really needed The Pin to get built IMO - it would have been a huge attraction year round and much better looking than people assumed. Although Downtown has improved by leaps & bounds in the last decade, it should be twice as dense by now.

Portland on the Park is the best residential development since 44 Monroe and it's not even technically Downtown. I'm happy with all that has happened, but Downtown Phoenix is still underachieving in the office and residential department.

alexico
Apr 9, 2017, 2:07 AM
Completely agree. Tempe is evolving with the younger generation and Phoenix has it's feet stuck in the mud. Downtown really needed The Pin to get built IMO - it would have been a huge attraction year round and much better looking than people assumed. Although Downtown has improved by leaps & bounds in the last decade, it should be twice as dense by now.

Portland on the Park is the best residential development since 44 Monroe and it's not even technically Downtown. I'm happy with all that has happened, but Downtown Phoenix is still underachieving in the office and residential department.

I live in the biltmore now (at optima biltmore towers) and im on the edge in 1-2 years to move back to downtown tempe. im 33 too.

the gym and the whole foods there. tempe is such a fun/chill vibe.

i lived in downtown tempe 12-2014 at (west 6 condos) tempe always feels alive. the campus, the football games, the festivals, the bars on mill ave, close to the airport, the walking path by the river etc -

muertecaza
Apr 10, 2017, 4:33 PM
Article about Greek village at Rural/Terrace:

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/asus-70m-greek-leadership-village-opposed-by-some-fraternities-9228750

Some of the complaints are kind of funny, as they include both:

...the project wasn't affordable...

and:

...lack of upscale amenities students wanted...

But there is a fly-through rendering video at the end:

https://vimeo.com/205456686

Obadno
Apr 10, 2017, 5:20 PM
Article about Greek village at Rural/Terrace:

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/asus-70m-greek-leadership-village-opposed-by-some-fraternities-9228750

Some of the complaints are kind of funny, as they include both:

and:

But there is a fly-through rendering video at the end:

https://vimeo.com/205456686

I was in Greek living at asu not very long ago and the reason the guys don't like this has nothing to do with amenities. It's because they want to still have some level of autonomy

Even if it's faux autonomy they still want to have the perception that they have their own "house". This is too much of a dorm which is why they won't sign on.

About 6 years ago now when they first floated the idea of a village concept thy pointed to things like the university of brittish Columbia housing which did a good job of simulating independent "fraternity housing".

Te other issue asu and fraternities have a very combative relationship so I wouldn't expect them to cooperate much at all on anything. Rightly or wrongly as that may be.

Jjs5056
Apr 11, 2017, 5:24 AM
I don't see how Tempe has an advantage over downtown Phx when it comes to livability. The only residential towers in sight will be student housing - both M7 and 707 Forrest - which has left little to do beyond eating/drinking. There is no art scene to speak of, the nightlife maxes out at about 25, and even dining options are few. There is so shopping and likely will never be, and the surrounding streets are essentially desolate.

I totally agree that Tempe has slaughtered Phx when it comes to employment and that the Lake was an incredible investment. It's absolutely true that DT PHX's geography is a major obstacle compared to peer cities which have mountains, lakes, rivers, oceans, etc. as focal points. DT PHX needs a Camelback, Papago Butte, etc. Too bad the canals weren't more centrally located ... I think an observation tower at the center of the Convention Center would be a great draw, but it wouldn't compare to a natural landscape. Had the Warehouse District not been destroyed, a High-Line-esque path along the south side of the UPRR connecting Chase to a refurbed Union Station might have attracted some decent architecture, which is really the only thing that can give DT its own look.

Back to Tempe-- there is no need for a streetcar anywhere in the city. Nothing east of McClintock has been built with transit in mind and the idea that anyone would walk across the massive TMP parking lot, shop, then lug bags back over to the streetcar when parking is infinite is crazy. Connecting the Cubs does little as the season is so short, and Marina Heights/HFL employees can easily take LRT to work as is. Planning for LRT extensions along Scottsdale Rd and Priest Rd (to Fountainhead) with BRT in the meantime seems like the only realistic addition.

somethingfast
Apr 13, 2017, 2:55 AM
I don't see how Tempe has an advantage over downtown Phx when it comes to livability. The only residential towers in sight will be student housing - both M7 and 707 Forrest - which has left little to do beyond eating/drinking. There is no art scene to speak of, the nightlife maxes out at about 25, and even dining options are few. There is so shopping and likely will never be, and the surrounding streets are essentially desolate.

I totally agree that Tempe has slaughtered Phx when it comes to employment and that the Lake was an incredible investment. It's absolutely true that DT PHX's geography is a major obstacle compared to peer cities which have mountains, lakes, rivers, oceans, etc. as focal points. DT PHX needs a Camelback, Papago Butte, etc. Too bad the canals weren't more centrally located ... I think an observation tower at the center of the Convention Center would be a great draw, but it wouldn't compare to a natural landscape. Had the Warehouse District not been destroyed, a High-Line-esque path along the south side of the UPRR connecting Chase to a refurbed Union Station might have attracted some decent architecture, which is really the only thing that can give DT its own look.

Back to Tempe-- there is no need for a streetcar anywhere in the city. Nothing east of McClintock has been built with transit in mind and the idea that anyone would walk across the massive TMP parking lot, shop, then lug bags back over to the streetcar when parking is infinite is crazy. Connecting the Cubs does little as the season is so short, and Marina Heights/HFL employees can easily take LRT to work as is. Planning for LRT extensions along Scottsdale Rd and Priest Rd (to Fountainhead) with BRT in the meantime seems like the only realistic addition.

I don't disagree with you in general but I will say that Tempe has what you just mentioned is lacking in DT Phoenix: natural focal points (sort of)...the Buttes and the lake. Those are huge focal points and the proof is in the pudding as they say. I just firmly believe that DT Phoenix is going to have to manufacture some attraction (San Antonio) to keep momentum and compete with Tempe. There will be plenty of non-student residential soon as huge employment centers are emerging. My company plans on having 2,500 people at Grand Papago in 2 years. That's just one instance. DT Phoenix MUST show some true vision and invest in some non-commerce attraction on a grand scale (shaded canals, and underground riverwalk, observation tower...something).

Jjs5056
Apr 13, 2017, 12:17 PM
I don't disagree with you in general but I will say that Tempe has what you just mentioned is lacking in DT Phoenix: natural focal points (sort of)...the Buttes and the lake. Those are huge focal points and the proof is in the pudding as they say. I just firmly believe that DT Phoenix is going to have to manufacture some attraction (San Antonio) to keep momentum and compete with Tempe. There will be plenty of non-student residential soon as huge employment centers are emerging. My company plans on having 2,500 people at Grand Papago in 2 years. That's just one instance. DT Phoenix MUST show some true vision and invest in some non-commerce attraction on a grand scale (shaded canals, and underground riverwalk, observation tower...something).

Yes, Tempe's physical footprint can't be beaten. It's beautiful and offers tons of recreation... but, it just does not offer what I would consider a true urban lifestyle for someone 30+. The employers/demand is already there for downtown residential aimed at older demos, but the City has flat out ensured that the core of DT will be filled with student housing and thus, student-oriented commercial. They blocked a 13-story residential tower on Farmer and are even considering single-family downzoning for that area, which is some of the only land in DT left. All of the 7th St towers are owned or managed by student housing groups, and the only market rate project even in the works seems like a no-go (the 5 stories of apts on top of Whole Foods).

DT PHX just offers more housing options, dinner options, nightlife options, culture options, etc. Maybe if Centerpoint (the original buildings) and/or Hayden Square are redeveloped one day with condos and floor plans large enough to hold real retail...

At one point, the land next to TCA was slated for an artist village with several non-profits and well-known artists on board for the commercial component. That, with Mill+Rio, Hayden Flour Mill, the real Centerpoint, USA Place, and the original M7 and 7S would have given a great mix for a huge range of ages. But, they pulled that RFP, launched TMP, and squashed density off of Mill... and I don't see it ever comparing to DT PHX due to that. Doesn't take away from its assets, but I guess I can't see anyone choosing to live there permanently over one of the newer Phoenix properties is all.

Jjs5056
Apr 13, 2017, 12:23 PM
I also don't know that a non-geographical attraction will do much for Phoenix. Mountains and lakes give identity, views, and recreation... an observation tower does none of the above. The views will have to come from the distant mountains and from unique architecture in future highrises... and recreation will need to come from maximizing parks like Hance, building the best bike network possible, and adding as much shade as possible.

It's too bad there weren't additional blocks bordering Hance that could be designed similarly to Portland. Unfortunately, Hance is just too small and surrounded by SF districts on one side. And, the other street with linear parkways - Moreland - was destroyed for Hance's creation. A park the size of Indian Steele with blocks as beautiful as Portland around it would spark development, for sure.

ASUSunDevil
Apr 18, 2017, 4:43 PM
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/demand-soaring-for-seniors-only-high-rise-on-arizona-state-universitys-tempe-campus-9254237

alexico
Apr 19, 2017, 2:47 AM

there was an interesting article this week in the wsj how cities need to always to work on their "image" does phoenix even really have one?

azsunsurfer
Apr 19, 2017, 4:39 PM
The site for the Skyline Tower is now fenced. I thought this hasn't even passed City Council yet? Pulling the cart before the horse?

Also the New Times article that was posted mentioned the whole foods project was delayed in permitting.

azsunsurfer
Apr 19, 2017, 4:42 PM
The office buildings poised to rise along the 202 near TMP look decent. I wish they were taller as originally alluded to by the developer (originally 8 stories) but at least the north side of the site will be dense with the multi-family project too.

muertecaza
Apr 19, 2017, 6:31 PM
The site for the Skyline Tower is now fenced. I thought this hasn't even passed City Council yet? Pulling the cart before the horse?

Also the New Times article that was posted mentioned the whole foods project was delayed in permitting.

The Skyview project actually passed City Council back in January. Hopefully this means it will move forward? I watched some of the presentation on that one, and it did seem like the amount of investment they had made in the development would make it a big waste if they didn't follow through.

Good catch on the late edit in the New Times article. I was wondering about that, as the Whole Foods project showed up months ago as in review for a building permit, but nothing had happened.

"The Whole Foods project, by Alberta Development, is in review for structural phased foundation permits only. We are currently at 3rd review from revisions provided to Building Safety. They have been taking a little longer than expected, but they have suggested to break ground late Spring. Their initial plans were the beginning of the year.

muertecaza
Apr 19, 2017, 6:47 PM
7th/Forest DRC Packet is available.

https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=50066

http://i.imgur.com/O9pgJTfh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/myAJgGph.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NwhusWih.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7wdVPjvh.jpg

Not one I'm necessarily holding my breath on, but I love the proposal. Ground floor commercial on both 7th and Forest looks good. I really like the treatment of the parking podium. And although the packet isn't exactly clear, it looks like they might be planning it for for-sale units? Which would be :tup:

CrestedSaguaro
Apr 19, 2017, 6:57 PM
That's a good looking building. I hope it gets built :tup:

azsunsurfer
Apr 19, 2017, 8:37 PM
What's nice is from the project summary it looks like it won't be a strictly student housing development per se....but there are a lot of studios...W6 II?

Spitfiredude
Apr 19, 2017, 9:31 PM
What's nice is from the project summary it looks like it won't be a strictly student housing development per se....but there are a lot of studios...W6 II?

W6 doesn't really have that many studios. Each floor averages probably 2 studios, 3 1 bedroom, 3 2 bedroom, & 2 3 bedroom. Its pretty diverse range of floor plans.

Unfortunately I moved out of W6 because they started focusing on "student" marketing. I was by far the youngest on my floor at 22 when I moved in, oldest when I moved out at 24.

The problem is young professionals have a tough time living with students (from experience) because while students can party Monday-Sunday, young professionals can generally enjoy themselves Friday-Sunday. That makes a huge problem for places that let in students. Also, probably the main reason Hanover is 21+ & no co-signers.

azsunsurfer
Apr 19, 2017, 9:48 PM
That's because W6 was envisioned originally as condos geared towards professionals and empty nesters but was finished as market rate apartments.

ciweiss
Apr 20, 2017, 7:48 PM
W6 doesn't really have that many studios. Each floor averages probably 2 studios, 3 1 bedroom, 3 2 bedroom, & 2 3 bedroom. Its pretty diverse range of floor plans.

Unfortunately I moved out of W6 because they started focusing on "student" marketing. I was by far the youngest on my floor at 22 when I moved in, oldest when I moved out at 24.

The problem is young professionals have a tough time living with students (from experience) because while students can party Monday-Sunday, young professionals can generally enjoy themselves Friday-Sunday. That makes a huge problem for places that let in students. Also, probably the main reason Hanover is 21+ & no co-signers.

I'm surprised they don't have the students live in one building and the young professionals in the other. I guess that may be hard to do. But that seems like a no brainer. My complex is half students half professionals. I've been lucky but all it takes is one bad apple and your sleep cycle gets jacked.

Obadno
Apr 21, 2017, 8:21 PM
Looks like 2100 Rio has a tenancy deal that will fill out the project.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2017/04/21/big-real-estate-deal-could-bring-3-200-jobs-to.html

Pay wall though

azsunsurfer
Apr 21, 2017, 11:16 PM
Can you post the story here?

azsunsurfer
Apr 21, 2017, 11:21 PM
Another 3,200 jobs could be coming to Tempe at a new development being built at the Loop 202 and 101 freeways.

Freedom Financial Network — a Silicon Valley based online financial services and debt consolidation firm — has inked a 300,000-square-foot lease at Rio2100.

That is a 52-acre development being built by The Boyer Co.

FFN already has approximately 1,600 workers in the region and wants to double that number at the new campus.

muertecaza
Apr 24, 2017, 6:06 PM
Aura Watermark (NWC or Rural and the lake) got entitlements approved by City Council last week for phases "1a" and "1b," which includes an 8-story parking garage with 25,000 ft. of ground floor commercial, a 224' office building with above-ground parking podium and additional 18,000 ft of ground floor commercial, and an 85' apartment building with 360 units, 91 du/ac.

In the lead up to the City Council hearings, developer talked a big game about beginning work immediately.

oth projects go before the Tempe City Council for a first hearing March 23 and anticipate final approval on April 20. Building permits will be filed immediately after and should take approximately 30 days to be approved, according to Fenix Project Manager Mike Loretz.

As creator of the overall site, Fenix will develop the infrastructure, according to Trinsic’s Managing Director for Arizona Todd Gosselink. After that’s in place, Trinsic will commence construction of Aura Watermark.
http://azbex.com/aura-watermark-aims-for-sept-const-start/

Both projects are scheduled for an initial vote by the Tempe City Council on March 23, followed by a second vote on April 20. Fenix Development Project Manager Mike Loretz said in a telephone interview he hopes for and anticipates a unanimous vote of approval. If council approves the plan, building permits will be filed April 21 and should be issued approximately 30 days later. Construction on Fenix’s component, known as Phase 1A, will commence as soon as possible thereafter.
http://azbex.com/126m-first-phase-of-watermark-to-start-construction/

I'm sure every developer wants to move quickly, but these quotes do seem to be promising more than usual, so hopefully this one does start soon. It would be nice to have some variety in heights and uses on the north side of the lake.

ASU Diablo
Apr 24, 2017, 10:49 PM
Well that escalated quickly! Constructions starts in June.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2017/04/24/tempe-streetcar-construction-starts-soon/100695810/

CrestedSaguaro
Apr 24, 2017, 11:00 PM
Well that escalated quickly! Constructions starts in June.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2017/04/24/tempe-streetcar-construction-starts-soon/100695810/

I wonder if the possibility of losing federal money pushed the timeframe up on this a little? :shrug:

Obadno
Apr 24, 2017, 11:47 PM
I wonder if the possibility of losing federal money pushed the timeframe up on this a little? :shrug:

I wouldn't think so federal funds for these types of projects were probably appropriated a year or more ago, any changes to federal funding will effect projects coming up in the next 12+ months not stuff underway now.

ASUSunDevil
Apr 25, 2017, 12:24 AM

Okland Construction put their signage up last week, I think this one might be a go. :cheers:

For reference:

http://www.orionprop.com/topfive/golub-co-of-chicago-to-develop-393-apartments-in-24-story-tower-near-asu/

The architect, SCB, does great work (they renovated Manzanita).

http://www.scb.com

exit2lef
Apr 25, 2017, 12:27 AM
I wouldn't think so federal funds for these types of projects were probably appropriated a year or more ago, any changes to federal funding will effect projects coming up in the next 12+ months not stuff underway now.

The White House's proposed budget would eliminate federal money for any transit project without a complete funding agreement already in place. That includes both the Tempe Streetcar and the South Central light rail extension. Of course, the White House proposal may not be the final budget, and both Tempe and Phoenix seem to be proceeding under the assumption / hope that it won't be.

Scroll about halfway down after following the link to see the complete list of threatened projects:

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2017/03/16/trumps-budget-hits-transit-hard/

MegaBass
Apr 26, 2017, 5:06 AM
Armstrong and Ross-Blakley renovations (https://cfo.asu.edu/armstrong-ross-blakley-renovations)

Armstrong Hall and Ross-Blakley Hall renovations provide a new home for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences on Arizona State University’s Tempe campus. Armstrong Hall and Ross-Blakley Hall previously housed the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law.

The project advances two Tempe campus master plan goals. This project furthers CLAS’s goal to attain national standing by providing the college with a consolidated home that enhances its instructional and research effectiveness. The project also repurposes existing academic space to enable the success of CLAS students and employees.

Armstrong Hall upgrades include a central location for CLAS student success, advising, instruction and collaboration. Improvements to the building’s Great Hall creates opportunities for its use as either a large classroom or to host lectures and special events.

Ross-Blakley Hall offers the CLAS English Department classrooms, writing centers and humanities research.

Infrastructure upgrades create more energy-efficient mechanical systems and address operational and code-compliance issues.

Renovations extend to campus hardscape and landscape in the immediate area of the buildings.

asugrad
Apr 27, 2017, 7:09 PM
Aura Watermark (NWC or Rural and the lake) got entitlements approved by City Council last week for phases "1a" and "1b," which includes an 8-story parking garage with 25,000 ft. of ground floor commercial, a 224' office building with above-ground parking podium and additional 18,000 ft of ground floor commercial, and an 85' apartment building with 360 units, 91 du/ac.

In the lead up to the City Council hearings, developer talked a big game about beginning work immediately.

http://azbex.com/aura-watermark-aims-for-sept-const-start/

http://azbex.com/126m-first-phase-of-watermark-to-start-construction/

I'm sure every developer wants to move quickly, but these quotes do seem to be promising more than usual, so hopefully this one does start soon. It would be nice to have some variety in heights and uses on the north side of the lake.

Looks like they knocked it down 54' feet from 278' t0 224'

muertecaza
Apr 28, 2017, 4:36 PM
Looks like they knocked it down 54' feet from 278' t0 224'

Yeah, not ideal, but still better than another 4-5 story apartment building.

Looks like another lot set to bite the dust (hopefully) along Apache:

http://i.imgur.com/WGbZTfch.jpg

Interested to see this one. It's the first smaller project I can think of (in number of units) along Apache since maybe Gracie's Village--which I think is one of the better buildings along Apache. And this would be twice as dense as Gracie's.

ASU Diablo
May 1, 2017, 4:52 PM
Agreed. It seems most people on the thread are not big fans anymore. The fact that they may destroy Mill for 2 years really frustates me. Especially the fact that they would get rid of those trees. I think at this point, possibly the most efficient route would be Mill/3rd to Cubs Stadium / Riverview. Or backside Ash with a slot to Mill 5th. Regardless, it's been moving slow. It's frustrating that government works so slow. Also, at $50 million a mile, maybe they should consider expanding / adding more trolleys to the lunch time trolley service.

According to this article, the power lines along Mill Ave will be buried (I'm assuming the trees stay?). Also, the curved portion along Gammage will also have the lines buried and run on batteries.

http://azbex.com/tempe-seeks-buried-lines-for-trolley-route/

Obadno
May 2, 2017, 6:23 PM
carvana Tower/vending machine is approved. I think this will look cool from the 202

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2017/05/01/tempe-could-be-getting-one-of-carvanas-car-vending.html

PHXFlyer11
May 2, 2017, 6:44 PM
carvana Tower/vending machine is approved. I think this will look cool from the 202

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2017/05/01/tempe-could-be-getting-one-of-carvanas-car-vending.html

Yes, this would be cool. It's very progressive from a technology standpoint. And I'm positive Tempe will make sure it is visually appealing. Plus, it's an awesome way to highlight a local company. Hopefully this will be their showcase store/vending machine.

muertecaza
May 2, 2017, 8:11 PM
Low-res rendering for **Apache + Oak the 50 unit building planned along light rail.

http://i.imgur.com/ydy0kPD.jpg

azsunsurfer
May 2, 2017, 9:16 PM
It looks brilliant for Apache!

ciweiss
May 3, 2017, 3:22 AM
Another 3,200 jobs could be coming to Tempe at a new development being built at the Loop 202 and 101 freeways.

Freedom Financial Network — a Silicon Valley based online financial services and debt consolidation firm — has inked a 300,000-square-foot lease at Rio2100.

That is a 52-acre development being built by The Boyer Co.

FFN already has approximately 1,600 workers in the region and wants to double that number at the new campus.

More info on the FFN development.

http://azbigmedia.com/azre-magazine/site-selection/300000-sf-built-suit-lease-announced-52-acre-tempe-development

muertecaza
May 3, 2017, 5:57 PM
Quite a bit of new equipment and material on The Pier site in the last week or so. They were moving dirt around this morning.

jward145
May 3, 2017, 9:18 PM
Quite a bit of new equipment and material on The Pier site in the last week or so. They were moving dirt around this morning.

I'm not familiar with this project, could you tell me what it is? I've been trying to find something!

muertecaza
May 3, 2017, 10:39 PM
I'm not familiar with this project, could you tell me what it is? I've been trying to find something!

No problem. It is one of the better looking proposals in Tempe, but it's always also seemed (to me at least) like one of the least likely to actually be built. Here is the packet for the Tempe Development Review Commission with project details:

https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=44468

Rendering:

http://i.imgur.com/ikYX0ba.jpg

Location is along the south side of Tempe Town Lake, east of Rural.

I haven't seen that they have applied for building permits or anything like that, so I'm not sure what the dirt moving portends exactly, but I'm hoping it's something.

alexico
May 4, 2017, 1:22 AM
That's because W6 was envisioned originally as condos geared towards professionals and empty nesters but was finished as market rate apartments.

the building is beat up too. one of the reasons i moved out.

it was supposed to be 4 towers i believe way back in the day.

the top of west 6th - open concrete almost looks unfinished

PHXFlyer11
May 4, 2017, 3:54 AM
No problem. It is one of the better looking proposals in Tempe, but it's always also seemed (to me at least) like one of the least likely to actually be built. Here is the packet for the Tempe Development Review Commission with project details:

Rendering:

I haven't seen that they have applied for building permits or anything like that, so I'm not sure what the dirt moving portends exactly, but I'm hoping it's something.

This also seemed like an extreme long-shot for me. But it's fantastic and I really hope they surprise me and move forward. It could open up an entirely new high-rise market for older professionals and retirees away from Mill and near the freeways and Tempe Marketplace, but still on the lake.

jward145
May 5, 2017, 5:24 PM

Rendering:

Thank you for this! I'm crossing my fingers on this as well. It's so exciting to see major developments changing the Valley.

Also noticed this on ABEX today, renderings of the Carvana machine in Tempe:

http://azbex.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Art11.jpg

Link as well:

http://azbex.com/tempe-may-get-carvana-vending-machine/

This is taller than most others seen in Texas and Tennessee! It'll be a really cool addition to the city!

Obadno
May 5, 2017, 5:53 PM
http://azbex.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Art11.jpg

Link as well:

http://azbex.com/tempe-may-get-carvana-vending-machine/

This is taller than most others seen in Texas and Tennessee! It'll be a really cool addition to the city!

Looks like something out of a 1950's magazine story of how the future was going be.

LOVE IT:tup:

mdpx
May 5, 2017, 6:19 PM
It's a vertical parking garage. Just what this city needs and what neighbors need to look up at. A gimmick we all have to see. If this is the future, the future is f'in ugly.

combusean
May 5, 2017, 7:53 PM
That Carvana thing is a total eyesore. It is the exact opposite of what should be built on a a mass transit corridor or street as important as Scottsdale Rd or near the lake.

I can't imagine why anyone would be welcoming of it, and I hope they shoot it the hell down.

exit2lef
May 5, 2017, 8:00 PM
My only worry is what happens to these vending machine towers if ever Carvana goes out of business. Can they be adapted for some other use, or do they become eyesores? I supposed if they can hold the weight of all those cars, they could hold the weight of anything else, including people and furniture.

Obadno
May 5, 2017, 8:49 PM
It's a vertical parking garage. Just what this city needs and what neighbors need to look up at. A gimmick we all have to see. If this is the future, the future is f'in ugly.

That Carvana thing is a total eyesore. It is the exact opposite of what should be built on a a mass transit corridor or street as important as Scottsdale Rd or near the lake.

I can't imagine why anyone would be welcoming of it, and I hope they shoot it the hell down.

Do you killjoy's even know where this is? Its an empty lot on the north side of the 202 across from a Scrap yard and a strip club and sandwiched between a highway on-ramp and a crappy hotel.

Its not on a transit line, its not on the lake and all anyone will see is 6 floors of shiny brand new cars in a box as they fly by at 75 mph.

I think its great

mdpx
May 5, 2017, 9:34 PM
Killjoys? It's other people's opinions. Do others have to pass our opinions by you to see if it's OK to post? Obadno, every time you get hungry you turn into a diva. Eat a Snickers.

combusean
May 5, 2017, 9:38 PM
Do you killjoy's even know where this is? Its an empty lot on the north side of the 202 across from a Scrap yard and a strip club and sandwiched between a highway on-ramp and a crappy hotel.

Its not on a transit line, its not on the lake and all anyone will see is 6 floors of shiny brand new cars in a box as they fly by at 75 mph.

I think its great

There's not one accurate statement in your entire post.

Your location is wrong: it directly fronts Scottsdale Rd. https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=48794

Scottsdale Rd is not a transit street? The 72 supergrid bus doesn't exist? Nobody's ever thought about higher capacity transit there?

It's not 6 floors, it's 93 feet tall. This will be one of the tallest things around, taller than any of the nearby condos or apartments. If you don't think this will be visible from the lake areas, you need to get your eyes checked.

And it's for USED CARS, not new ones. What possible advantage or "great" thing is there to an 93' tall used car machine, especially near some of the most valuable real estate in Arizona?

Obadno
May 5, 2017, 11:25 PM
There's not one accurate statement in your entire post.

Your location is wrong: it directly fronts Scottsdale Rd. https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=48794

Scottsdale Rd is not a transit street? The 72 supergrid bus doesn't exist? Nobody's ever thought about higher capacity transit there?

It's not 6 floors, it's 93 feet tall. This will be one of the tallest things around, taller than any of the nearby condos or apartments. If you don't think this will be visible from the lake areas, you need to get your eyes checked.

And it's for USED CARS, not new ones. What possible advantage or "great" thing is there to an 93' tall used car machine, especially near some of the most valuable real estate in Arizona?

You are completely mischaracterizing this neighborhood: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4373952,-111.9264192,3a,66.8y,151.7h,74.25t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sEQ7l_OW8gz5zwruvz6rfdg!2e0?authuser=0&hl=en

That is the street view. From 30 feet up on the highway it will be six floors of glass car tower.

Carvana is a growing local business and I think this is a great visible spot for this goofy concept.

Look at the street view, nobody is going build condos or apartments of street facing retail on that parcel, the county island chop-shops and strip joints across the street arent going anywhere any time soon.

PHXFlyer11
May 5, 2017, 11:47 PM
You are completely mischaracterizing this neighborhood: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4373952,-111.9264192,3a,66.8y,151.7h,74.25t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sEQ7l_OW8gz5zwruvz6rfdg!2e0?authuser=0&hl=en

That is the street view. From 30 feet up on the highway it will be six floors of glass car tower.

Carvana is a growing local business and I think this is a great visible spot for this goofy concept.

Look at the street view, nobody is going build condos or apartments of street facing retail on that parcel, the county island chop-shops and strip joints across the street arent going anywhere any time soon.

Some people can't be pleased. This is great for its location. And if any of you have ever seen how they light these up at night it's awesome. They're not putting junk cars in a plexiglass case. This is a local startup and we should support their showcase vending machine and celebrate our local entrepreneurs.

dtnphx
May 5, 2017, 11:57 PM
Some people can't be pleased. This is great for its location. And if any of you have ever seen how they light these up at night it's awesome. They're not putting junk cars in a plexiglass case. This is a local startup and we should support their showcase vending machine and celebrate our local entrepreneurs.

You're both delusional. It's grotesque. I can be pleased, all the time Mr. Flyer man, but I just don't think I giant, repeat giant monstrosity like that is worthwhile, regardless of where it is. It's a stupid gimmick we'll all be stuck with when the concept fails. Making a big toy for people to feel better about their overpriced used car purchase is not worth of others being forced to see it constantly to satisfy simpletons who want to buy a car from a giant fucking vending machine.

ASUSunDevil
May 6, 2017, 12:11 AM
You're both delusional. It's grotesque. I can be pleased, all the time Mr. Flyer man, but I just don't think I giant, repeat giant monstrosity like that is worthwhile, regardless of where it is. It's a stupid gimmick we'll all be stuck with when the concept fails. Making a big toy for people to feel better about their overpriced used car purchase is not worth of others being forced to see it constantly to satisfy simpletons who want to buy a car from a giant fucking vending machine.

Says the killjoy.

It looks straight out of Tokyo (ultra progressive city) - I love it.

That lot was awful. It just got reconfigured so that people could even reasonably access it.

Carvana is a local company that just went public, they're not some gimmick. Even if the vending machine was taken down in the future, you still have a great looking commercial building remaining. :tup:

PHXFlyer11
May 6, 2017, 12:49 AM
Says the killjoy.

That lot was awful. It just got reconfigured so that people could even reasonably access it.

Carvana is a local company that just went public, they're not some gimmick. Even if the vending machine was taken down in the future, you still have a great looking commercial building remaining. :tup:

Exactly right. Their IPO was just recently. They will be around for a long time.

ciweiss
May 7, 2017, 1:31 AM
Definitely some activity at the Pier. Some more tractors and some stakes in the ground. Fingers crossed we will see another tower crane soon.

azsunsurfer
May 7, 2017, 1:47 AM
They should have added an H&M to the carvana site so JJ could be happy! Maybe on all four sides of the lot!

Realistically I think it's great. My opinion is all that matters. I see them in cool locations next to the freeways in a lot of cities I travel to. End of discussion next subject.

The corner of 8th and Rural is going to be so different in another year. It's exciting to see all the projects going vertical almost simultaneously (Skyview, Valor, University Village 2.0, FratRow, the ASU BioSciences building). I was just there the other day, the amount of activity is awesome!

CrestedSaguaro
May 7, 2017, 4:39 PM
Definitely some activity at the Pier. Some more tractors and some stakes in the ground. Fingers crossed we will see another tower crane soon.

Don't they have a lot of tower crane sections at the site? I thought I saw them driving down Rural a few days ago.

ASUSunDevil
May 7, 2017, 8:50 PM
Don't they have a lot of tower crane sections at the site? I thought I saw them driving down Rural a few days ago.

That's what it looked like to me, too! :cheers:

dtnphx
May 7, 2017, 11:19 PM
Says the killjoy.

You're absolutely right. the 202 and Scottsdale Rd. will look like exactly like ultra-modern Tokyo, one of the world's most dense cities with this vertical used car lot...says the ASU idiot.

ASUSunDevil
May 8, 2017, 12:03 AM
You're absolutely right. the 202 and Scottsdale Rd. will look like exactly like ultra-modern Tokyo, one of the world's most dense cities with this vertical used car lot...says the ASU idiot.

Pretty idiotic interpretation of what I said.

I think that the vending machine looks like something out of Tokyo/Asia; not that it's going to magically transform Tempe into Tokyo.

Carry on being miserable.

mdpx
May 8, 2017, 12:23 AM
Dude, he quoted exactly what you said:

"It looks straight out of Tokyo (ultra progressive city) - I love it."
If someone not liking what you do makes them a killjoy, add me too. Sad that your joy gets killed so easily.

Socalzonie
May 8, 2017, 12:56 AM
ASUSunDevil: some of us understood the point you were trying to make and are perfectly fine with your opinions. ...carry on. :tup:

Socalzonie
May 8, 2017, 12:57 AM

Seems a bit premature for these to be on site, but thats what it looked like to me too. Wonder if they are being staged for another project....

Ballister
May 8, 2017, 3:16 PM
[QUOTE=Socalzonie;7797952]ASUSunDevil: some of us understood the point you were trying to make and are perfectly fine with your opinions. ...carry on. :tup:[/QUOTE

That is some brown nose you got there!

PHXFlyer11
May 8, 2017, 3:59 PM
Seems a bit premature for these to be on site, but thats what it looked like to me too. Wonder if they are being staged for another project....

Very interested in this. If anyone is close by and can give updates please do share. This is one of the most exciting projects in Tempe for me because of the height away from the core.

dtnphx
May 8, 2017, 6:49 PM
Are you referring to The Pier? Impressive, and it will be an impressive project that far east.

Socalzonie
May 8, 2017, 8:45 PM
[QUOTE=Socalzonie;7797952]ASUSunDevil: some of us understood the point you were trying to make and are perfectly fine with your opinions. ...carry on. :tup:[/QUOTE

That is some brown nose you got there!

Happy monday to you too. :)

ciweiss
May 10, 2017, 1:19 AM
Tempe trolly got the fed funding apparently.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2017/05/06/tempe-streetcar-project-get-50-m-federal-funds/311954001/

ciweiss
May 10, 2017, 1:28 AM
I also took my bike by the Aura Watermark sight. They appear to be clearing the site. Let's hope for the Sept start they had nentioned.

The Pier they are fortifying the road between the two pits. So it seems the equipment is for that project. A lot of newly painted stakes in the ground.

Tempe is on fire!

MegaBass
May 10, 2017, 5:30 AM
Drove by Rio Salado and noticed a public notice sign posted at Packard Stadium site. Looks like they gutted out the batting tunnels. Demolition soon?

dtnphx
May 10, 2017, 5:04 PM
Drove by Rio Salado and noticed a public notice sign posted at Packard Stadium site. Looks like they gutted out the batting tunnels. Demolition soon?

Demolition has already begun....

http://pdf.leeazmail.com/pdfs/Packard%20Stadium.jpg

muertecaza
May 16, 2017, 9:45 PM
The Apache + Oak development is apparently by artHAUS, which did those condos at McDowell/Central in Phoenix (http://www.arthausphx.com/). The Phoenix units turned out nice, bodes well for this project. Would be cool if it was for sale units as well.

Mirabella, the ASU senior tower at Mill/University, is opening a sales/marketing office, and presenting to the DRC in June (http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=50766).

alexico
May 17, 2017, 4:28 AM
any "forward" drawings/renditions of what tempe could look like in 5-7 years?

mdpx
May 17, 2017, 3:59 PM
This is what is expected by 2020.

http://www.globalphotos.org/hongkong/20051018/IMG_2502.jpg

Ballister
May 17, 2017, 7:20 PM
That's Mill Ave. in the foreground, right? LOL!

MegaBass
May 20, 2017, 4:47 PM
https://oxblue.com/pro/load_jpg/20170520/085912/9ac29657fb421db4bbfce6818bcd6bb5/9a908992cac85fdd132d97c945db8f68/0.jpg

Student Pavilion and Orange Mall extension.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DANCXO3UMAAUCzH.jpg

Biodesign C, which will house 5 new research centers including ASU-Banner Center studying Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. h/t Michael Crow (https://twitter.com/michaelcrow/status/865720980265590784)

https://oxblue.com/pro/load_jpg/20170520/100634/ea6842f3181a6c71303603cc3196c117/c6265de3ef1601b3b9c2456e6a7fe762/0.jpg

P. V. Engineering Residential Hall

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DANmMMcVwAEN-cy.jpg

Sun Devil Stadium video board h/t Rocky Harris (https://twitter.com/SunDevilRocky/status/865647915447984129)

ASUSunDevil
May 23, 2017, 12:45 AM
There was more equipment and quite a few construction workers on The Pier site when I drove by today. Hoping this gets going soon! :cheers:

They've begun excavating at Aura Watermark - looks like construction should get going in September as planned!

biggus diggus
May 23, 2017, 1:57 AM
I went to a show at gammage last night and realized that pretty much all of downtown Tempe is under construction. Wow.

RichTempe
May 24, 2017, 4:57 AM
I went to a show at gammage last night and realized that pretty much all of downtown Tempe is under construction. Wow.

Just curious, have the renovations they've been talking about doing for years inside the Gammage auditorium been completed, or is that still something for the future?

MegaBass
May 25, 2017, 12:47 AM
Latest on Hayden Library renovation
(http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2017/05/buildings/lbd/raising-arizona-state-library-design-2017/)
From the outside, the 1966 five-story tower will stay the same, and the 1989 two-story addition is mostly under­ground. One thing that will change, however, is the entrance. “Every year,” says Jennifer Duvernay, assistant university librarian, communications and development, and a 2005 LJ Mover & Shaker, “you have students wandering around trying to find the front door.” The new plan adds two ground-level entrances connecting the building to a new student services building and the student union. Inside, the alterations will be far more dramatic. Though the designs aren’t completed—at press time, ASU had only that day embarked on the formal process with architects Snøhetta and local company Ayres, plus the Brightspot consulting firm—the underlying program is done.

phoenixwillrise
May 25, 2017, 12:57 AM
Latest on Hayden Library renovation
(http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2017/05/buildings/lbd/raising-arizona-state-library-design-2017/)
Always loved the original design to the Hayden Library the underground add on was cartoonish and tacky hopefully they can remedy the problem somewhat.

muertecaza
May 25, 2017, 2:06 AM
Rode by today, seems to be coming right along.

http://i.imgur.com/uVYgBt7h.jpg

biggus diggus
May 25, 2017, 2:08 AM
Just curious, have the renovations they've been talking about doing for years inside the Gammage auditorium been completed, or is that still something for the future?

I can't answer that question, this was my first time in the building.

MegaBass
May 25, 2017, 3:58 AM

I believe the renovation you're referring to is Elevate and Alleviate campaign (June 2016-March 2017) which added elevators (for accessibility), ADA seating, and bathrooms. IMO there's other things that they could address i.e. classroom/backstage side but no timetable on that.

ASUSunDevil
May 25, 2017, 10:02 PM
There's new green fencing that just went up around the Hayden Flour Mill...

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2016/05/31/tempe-oks-development-deal-hayden-mill/84997044/

muertecaza
May 25, 2017, 11:01 PM
There's new green fencing that just went up around the Hayden Flour Mill...

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2016/05/31/tempe-oks-development-deal-hayden-mill/84997044/

Someone's wailing on their guitar down there--it looks like it might be just for an event of some kind.

ciweiss
May 28, 2017, 6:47 PM
I got a public hearing notice for a '5th St. Prepared food market & bar'. Sounds interesting.

Site location 24 .w 5th st.

Hearing 6-13

Case PL 170154

The old bong shop perhaps?

muertecaza
May 31, 2017, 5:15 PM
I got a public hearing notice for a '5th St. Prepared food market & bar'. Sounds interesting.

Site location 24 .w 5th st.

Hearing 6-13

Case PL 170154

The old bong shop perhaps?

That is the bong shop indeed. I've been hoping someone would propose redeveloping the property, but getting something going in there can't hurt.

Other updates from Tempe:

Crescent Rio (https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=42763) has applied for a building permit, and should be rolling soon

Likewise for Aura Watermark (https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=47647), which has applied for a building permit for Phase 1a (the office portion)

Lots of small town home developments under construction, focusing on the area west of Mill--including 1037 Farmer, Hardy/5th St., 5th St. West, 4th St. West--and also some east of McClintock, "Tempe Parkview Townhomes"

Good times continue to roll in Tempe. It's cool, for instance, being at the corner of Terrace/Rural, with ASU Bio, Sterling, Skyview, Greek Village and Valor on 8th development all in spitting distance. Snapped a picture of Valor the other day:

http://i.imgur.com/v1pltwlh.jpg

azsunsurfer
May 31, 2017, 7:49 PM
Mirabella ASU looks awesome! I am trying to see which direction that rendering is facing. Also Freedom Financial has filed for a building permit for their build-to-suit at 101 and 202

muertecaza
May 31, 2017, 8:40 PM
New owner of the newly re-unified Mill/7th St. lots is taking another crack at entitling and developing them. Proposal appears to be a Westin hotel.

http://i.imgur.com/IkqybJuh.jpg

azsunsurfer
May 31, 2017, 8:52 PM
This would be great for Tempe since I am not sure the Kimpton is happening. I know the Omni is still suppose to be in the works for Mill and University on the ASU owned block. Also there is suppose to be a hotel on University in front of the rising University Square project.

muertecaza
Jun 6, 2017, 2:06 AM
Leasing sign and website up for Stadium District.

http://i.imgur.com/jjJuY1mr.jpg

dtnphx
Jun 6, 2017, 11:30 PM
Check out this huge new development, with penthouse space, slated on Tempe Town Lake

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2017/06/06/check-out-this-huge-new-development-with-penthouse.html?ana=e_phx_bn&u=34892844144f674e291dd986763848&t=1496791678&j=78332751

azsunsurfer
Jun 6, 2017, 11:46 PM
How is the office building going to have a "penthouse?" That's silly....plus the residential component is suppose to only be around 6-7 stories, hardly a penthouse...

muertecaza
Jun 6, 2017, 11:55 PM
Detail renderings from Fenix's site:

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/71bca9_7b47f0bca8824800b161e34ddd838f6a~mv2_d_2500_1667_s_2.jpg_srz_p_749_500_75_22_0.5_1.2_0_jpg_srz

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/71bca9_9bf86bedf72d4e3080bf14909c5a7206~mv2_d_2000_2000_s_2.jpg_srz_p_500_500_75_22_0.5_1.2_0_jpg_srz

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/71bca9_ae1683cc094a4428a55f675fa0192cf5~mv2_d_2200_1470_s_2.jpg_srz_p_748_500_75_22_0.5_1.2_0_jpg_srz