PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117

stutteringpunk
Jan 9, 2018, 1:53 AM
I don't necessarily see the retirement age residents contributing to traffic congestion more or less than college or working age residents. If anything, I would think they'd be one of the more likely groups to walk for a large percentage of trips.

If traffic does noticeably worsen though, it will be interesting to see if there is an increase in interest in the idea that has been batted around the city council to close University to cars from Rural to Mill.

Part of what contributes to road rage and traffic collisions are drivers going too slow, which leads to surrounding traffic aggressively maneuvering around them, and slow reaction times. That absolutely is something olds are bad at, which will be even more hazardous here with so many young bicyclists and other pedestrians zipping all over the place. Drive around any highly dense retirement community and it'll be immediately obvious how many drivers shouldn't be on the road. It's mainly a safety concern for me here.

Even if they have access to a personal driver, so many old people are too stubborn to give up their independence in that regard that it'll still likely be a noticeable problem.

Edit: This also appears to be an updated rendering that I haven't seen posted here https://www.retirement.org/thumbs/c5ddd500418b93d5193b92b6f76bb7da.jpg

phoenixwillrise
Jan 9, 2018, 5:46 AM
Part of what contributes to road rage and traffic collisions are drivers going too slow, which leads to surrounding traffic aggressively maneuvering around them, and slow reaction times. That absolutely is something olds are bad at, which will be even more hazardous here with so many young bicyclists and other pedestrians zipping all over the place. Drive around any highly dense retirement community and it'll be immediately obvious how many drivers shouldn't be on the road. It's mainly a safety concern for me here.

Even if they have access to a personal driver, so many old people are too stubborn to give up their independence in that regard that it'll still likely be a noticeable problem.

Edit: This also appears to be an updated rendering that I haven't seen posted here https://www.retirement.org/thumbs/c5ddd500418b93d5193b92b6f76bb7da.jpg
Aren't you guys forgetting about the advent of self driving cars? What you are worried about may be a totally mute point in just a very few years.

stutteringpunk
Jan 9, 2018, 5:50 PM
Aren't you guys forgetting about the advent of self driving cars? What you are worried about may be a totally mute point in just a very few years.

Self driving cars aren't going to be that widespread in only a few years. I'd wager the cost will be prohibitive for at least another 8-10 years.

Renz
Jan 9, 2018, 6:06 PM
Self driving cars aren't going to be that widespread in only a few years. I'd wager the cost will be prohibitive for at least another 8-10 years.

Considering ASU is handling the operations of this retirement building, it's possible ASU might partner up with Uber to use their self driving cars for the elderly. To me its a no brainier because those self driving Uber cars are already littered over downtown. Why not take advantage of it? Not only would this completely remove issues relating to traffic congestion and road safety, multiple elders can hop on 1 self driving car and go about their business.

muertecaza
Jan 9, 2018, 10:53 PM
Next door to Mirabella, the City of Tempe has negotiated a development agreement with Omni for the hotel/conference center proposed at the corner of Mill/University, and will vote to approve the agreement this week.

Details available here. (http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=1345&doctype=AGENDA)

ASU will retain ownership of the land, and Omni would get a 60 year ground lease. The City basically agrees to pay back to Omni 100% of sales tax and bed tax generated by the project for the first 10 years, and 90% of sales tax and bed tax up for years 11 through 30 of the 30 year development agreement, with a maximum contribution by the City of $21m (present value as of completion of the hotel).

Seems like a massive tax giveaway. They must really want the convention space. But the agreement only calls for 30,000 sq. ft. of convention space, which isn't that much more than the 20,000 sq. ft. at Royal Palms, and isn't in the same league as the 900,000 sq. ft. available in Phoenix. Tempe would also get some naming rights in the hotel, Omni would agree to promote tourism in Tempe, and Tempe would get some free use of the convention space. But again, doesn't seem to justify the tax outlay. :shrug:

Of course, then again, because it's ASU land, the City currently gets $0 from the land, so that probably affects their willingness to pay out tax proceeds to get something revenue producing built.

ASU Diablo
Jan 9, 2018, 11:10 PM
Next door to Mirabella, the City of Tempe has negotiated a development agreement with Omni for the hotel/conference center proposed at the corner of Mill/University, and will vote to approve the agreement this week.

Details available here. (http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=1345&doctype=AGENDA)

ASU will retain ownership of the land, and Omni would get a 60 year ground lease. The City basically agrees to pay back to Omni 100% of sales tax and bed tax generated by the project for the first 10 years, and 90% of sales tax and bed tax up for years 11 through 30 of the 30 year development agreement, with a maximum contribution by the City of $21m (present value as of completion of the hotel).

Seems like a massive tax giveaway. They must really want the convention space. But the agreement only calls for 30,000 sq. ft. of convention space, which isn't that much more than the 20,000 sq. ft. at Royal Palms, and isn't in the same league as the 900,000 sq. ft. available in Phoenix. Tempe would also get some naming rights in the hotel, Omni would agree to promote tourism in Tempe, and Tempe would get some free use of the convention space. But again, doesn't seem to justify the tax outlay. :shrug:

Of course, then again, because it's ASU land, the City currently gets $0 from the land, so that probably affects their willingness to pay out tax proceeds to get something revenue producing built.

Was there ever a rendering for the Omni?

CrestedSaguaro
Jan 9, 2018, 11:17 PM

Omni was originally part of the USA Place complex that never happened. I don't think there was ever another rendering outside of that.

*Edit:
I take that back. I did find this on Nord Architect's website. I do not know if this rendering was part of USA Place or if this is a newer rendering for the proposed Omni. The rendering links to Marriott Renaissance, but the rendering says Omni on the roof branding. Either way, here it is:

https://nordarchitects.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/HR-6A.jpg

https://nordarchitects.com/portfolio/hotels-resorts/

stutteringpunk
Jan 9, 2018, 11:29 PM
Omni was originally part of the USA Place complex that never happened. I don't think there was ever another rendering outside of that.

*Edit:
I take that back. I did find this on Nord Architect's website. I do not know if this rendering was part of USA Place or if this is a newer rendering for the proposed Omni. The rendering links to Marriott Renaissance, but the rendering says Omni on the roof branding. Either way, here it is:

https://nordarchitects.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/HR-6A.jpg

https://nordarchitects.com/portfolio/hotels-resorts/

I think that's an outdated rendering since it's more or less in the spot of Mirabella, and it includes buildings from the scrapped complex. I don't know how often developers reuse plans from previous projects, but maybe it'll look something like it if the blueprints already exist in some form.

http://dieharddevil.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/USA-place-800x400.jpg

muertecaza
Jan 10, 2018, 1:09 AM

I haven't seen an updated rendering. Closest I've seen is the rudimentary site plan presented to ABOR, reproduced here: http://kjzz.org/content/396468/times-charm-asu-plans-hotel-conference-center-mill-avenue-lot

combusean
Jan 10, 2018, 2:39 AM
ASU has wanted an on-campus hotel and convention space for a very long time. The only thing that sort of exists for the latter is the MU last I checked.

muertecaza
Jan 10, 2018, 4:53 AM
Park Place, Broadstone at 101/Rio Salado, Apache+Oak, and some townhomes off Farmer all passed the DRC tonight. Only significant discussion involved the townhomes.

DRC also approved proposed zoning changes expanding the availability of ADUs.

stutteringpunk
Jan 10, 2018, 6:06 AM
Park Place, Broadstone at 101/Rio Salado, Apache+Oak, and some townhomes off Farmer all passed the DRC tonight. Only significant discussion involved the townhomes.

DRC also approved proposed zoning changes expanding the availability of ADUs.

I wish we could see the Hawaiian BBQ proposal already, but I'm glad we know the cleanup on Apache will likely continue. The Park Place bridge should look cool.

Socalzonie
Jan 10, 2018, 1:19 PM
I wish we could see the Hawaiian BBQ proposal already, but I'm glad we know the cleanup on Apache will likely continue. The Park Place bridge should look cool.

There is a rendering now on the tempe arcgis site for The Hayden. Is that the one you are looking for?

http://tempegov.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Shortlist/index.html?appid=e2b8a9338e3948c0ab6abf93b858f508

stutteringpunk
Jan 10, 2018, 5:57 PM
There is a rendering now on the tempe arcgis site for The Hayden. Is that the one you are looking for?

http://tempegov.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Shortlist/index.html?appid=e2b8a9338e3948c0ab6abf93b858f508

That's it. I thought we weren't going to see renderings until later this month, just never saw it posted here.

https://gis.tempe.gov/pad/DevelopmentPictures/Hayden.JPG

RichTempe
Jan 12, 2018, 1:07 AM
Man, traffic is already bad near university as it is. Unpopular opinion, but throwing olds into the mix might make it even worse.

After speaking to several of my buds about this, they shared the same opinion as you and now I'm starting to think it isn't so great either.

There's an ecosystem in this city, and throwing olds in the middle of a downtown with their Prius into busy intersections might be a traffic nightmare for everyone else. It also works both ways. A loud town square isn't my idea of a retirement home.

I can't tell if you 2 are serious or trying to get reactions here. "Throwing olds into the middle of a downtown with their Prius"? WTF? I guess we should stop building the hotels too since that will bring in tourists and everyone knows none of them know where the hell they're going, so that'll piss people off. And no more high rise residential either, since that just brings in the hipsters who can't drive unless they're looking at their iPhone. Oh, and I forgot to mention the streetcar. That ought to really enrage people trying to drive through downtown Tempe at 60 miles an hour. It'll be traffic gridlock!!

I'm by no means an 'old', but then again maybe you think anyone over 25 is; I really can't fathom your thought processes here. Billions of dollars have been and are going to continue to be invested into Tempe over the next years and it's just not so people 18-30 can have a place to play free from anyone not of their generation.

Just think about how offensive your words sound if you replace 'olds' with whatever racial/ethnic stereotype that was popular in the 60's or 70's or even today. Maybe you wouldn't be so afraid of them if you knew some. From your comments it doesn't sound like you do. Not everyone over 55 wants to live in godawful Sun City or Seizure World afterall.

exit2lef
Jan 12, 2018, 2:24 AM
The Tempe City Council approved the Omni deal 6-1 tonight. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if there is some attempt at meddling from the state legislature. It's normal for Republicans with conservative or libertarian leanings to oppose these types of arrangements, but even one of Tempe's Democratic representatives spoke out against this one.

somethingfast
Jan 12, 2018, 2:24 AM
I can't tell if you 2 are serious or trying to get reactions here. "Throwing olds into the middle of a downtown with their Prius"? WTF? I guess we should stop building the hotels too since that will bring in tourists and everyone knows none of them know where the hell they're going, so that'll piss people off. And no more high rise residential either, since that just brings in the hipsters who can't drive unless they're looking at their iPhone. Oh, and I forgot to mention the streetcar. That ought to really enrage people trying to drive through downtown Tempe at 60 miles an hour. It'll be traffic gridlock!!

I'm by no means an 'old', but then again maybe you think anyone over 25 is; I really can't fathom your thought processes here. Billions of dollars have been and are going to continue to be invested into Tempe over the next years and it's just not so people 18-30 can have a place to play free from anyone not of their generation.

Just think about how offensive your words sound if you replace 'olds' with whatever racial/ethnic stereotype that was popular in the 60's or 70's or even today. Maybe you wouldn't be so afraid of them if you knew some. From your comments it doesn't sound like you do. Not everyone over 55 wants to live in godawful Sun City or Seizure World afterall.

Amen, man! I really don't understand some of these comments here. Millenials? I guess I'm an old guy that's irrelevant now (mid-40's). But, damn, investment in Tempe, Phoenix, Arizona is a GOOD THING. We're already nearing 5 million in metro so it's about raising standard of living and the only way you do that is through economic development. We've already out-grown the freeway expansion that was planned back in 1985 and only recently completed. Already need two more lanes each way and more arterial freeways. Sorry, what was the questions? lol

stutteringpunk
Jan 12, 2018, 4:23 AM

Comparing legitimate concern for traffic conditions and the safety of local residents to actual racism is so ridiculously disingenuous and misguided it completely delegitimizes any point you we're trying to make. It almost makes me sick that you could make such a comparison. I barely even need to touch the fact that you completely misconstrued who I am and what I represent in some vain attempt to dismantle my argument. You yourself are doing the very thing you're accusing me of.

Compared to virtually every other state, Arizona drivers licenses are valid for an absurd amount of time. Elsewhere, your state license can be used for 5-6 years. Here, valid until you're 65, you're only required to update your picture and take a vision test once every 12 years. I don't need to spell out how that means waaaay too many people with a visual impairment, something much more likely in the elderly, are staying on the road when they shouldn't. In a highly dense urban environment with people zipping all over streets and bike lanes, that could be disastrous.

Drive anywhere close to places like Leisure World and it quickly becomes obvious to anyone how traffic flows differently in the surrounding area. There are many more drivers going up to 15 miles below the speed limit on a frequent basis compared to other parts of the valley. That breeds aggressive driving and, and in turn, leads to more accidents. Again, in a space as populated as downtown Tempe, any increase in collisions would be a logistical nightmare.

My point is, it would have been better to move the complex closer the Greek village or Barrett instead of smack dab in the middle of one of the busiest streets in the East Valley.

exit2lef
Jan 12, 2018, 12:22 PM
Coverage of last night's Omni vote:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2018/01/11/tempe-tax-break-hotel-and-conference-center-too-steep/1020421001/

Obadno
Jan 12, 2018, 1:45 PM
Having concerns for traffic in Downtown Tempe is stupid, the traffic has been terrible for years already, it’s an urban area. If you don’t want to deal with traffic don’t live in an urban area.

CrestedSaguaro
Jan 12, 2018, 4:11 PM
Having concerns for traffic in Downtown Tempe is stupid, the traffic has been terrible for years already, it’s an urban area. If you don’t want to deal with traffic don’t live in an urban area.

:tup:

somethingfast
Jan 12, 2018, 4:17 PM
:tup:

And, further, it's NOWHERE near as bad as other urban areas like DC, SF, Austin, etc. I mean just drive around most other large urban cores and Tempe is a dream...let's be real here about the issues and not dramatic.

CrestedSaguaro
Jan 12, 2018, 4:29 PM
And, further, it's NOWHERE near as bad as other urban areas like DC, SF, Austin, etc. I mean just drive around most other large urban cores and Tempe is a dream...let's be real here about the issues and not dramatic.

...and also I have seen many Millennials driving a Prius and many Seniors driving a Corvette. This whole argument was stereotyped and a very silly.

phoenixwillrise
Jan 12, 2018, 4:47 PM
...and also I have seen many Millennials driving a Prius and many Seniors driving a Corvette. This whole argument was stereotyped and a very silly.
Totally agree why bring up some non issue it's just absurd to say the demographics of the traffic over by Barrett or where ever is going to be that much different then by University and Mill. Let's just applaud Crow on another ingenious service the University is involved in mixing the retired who want to continue learning with nursing students who will get practical everyday life experience. Just another win, win that makes ASU consistently #1 in innovation. Let the construction begin.

exit2lef
Jan 12, 2018, 5:27 PM

It's not just the stereotyping -- it's also the victim blaming. If there's road rage, somehow it's the fault of the "old" driving slowly rather than the person acting out his or her rage. Anyone expecting fast moving traffic in Downtown Tempe is being unrealistic. Tempe can be its best self by offering housing for all ages in a multimodal urban environment.

RichTempe
Jan 12, 2018, 11:53 PM
One of Mirabella's features that will hopefully allay some of the concerns over the 'olds' getting too old or in the way:

https://thumbs2.imgbox.com/0b/9c/xrvWwh2Z_t.jpg (http://imgbox.com/xrvWwh2Z)
Lastday, Capricorn 29's. Year of the City: 2274. Carousel begins.

CrestedSaguaro
Jan 13, 2018, 3:40 AM
One of Mirabella's features that will hopefully allay some of the concerns over the 'olds' getting too old or in the way:

https://thumbs2.imgbox.com/0b/9c/xrvWwh2Z_t.jpg (http://imgbox.com/xrvWwh2Z)
Lastday, Capricorn 29's. Year of the City: 2274. Carousel begins.

:haha:

Phxguy
Jan 13, 2018, 5:57 PM
https://asunow.asu.edu/20180109-creativity-asu-hayden-library-future-design-students?utm_source=social&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=asu

What is your take on this? I'm not a fan of the current library (at least the facade) so I'm all for a face-lift. To be honest, I've never been inside the place and thus stranger to its interior.

exit2lef
Jan 13, 2018, 7:57 PM
https://asunow.asu.edu/20180109-creativity-asu-hayden-library-future-design-students?utm_source=social&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=asu

What is your take on this? I'm not a fan of the current library (at least the facade) so I'm all for a face-lift. To be honest, I've never been inside the place and thus stranger to its interior.

The original building was not iconic, but it was a reasonably pleasant and functional product of its time. The library became less attractive and less functional after its expansion in the 1980s. The original entrance at ground level was closed and replaced with the current underground entrance in the middle of an unshaded plaza. Much of the library's space and best features were hidden from casual visitors. A lot of decisions back then were based on the incorrect assumption that the inventory of printed materials would grow indefinitely, requiring maximum allocation of space to shelving.

I'm a little confused by this article, though. It's not clear to me if the student project was just that -- a theoretical exercise, or if parts are being incorporated into the actual renovation, which is already underway. Here's the site for the actual renovation project: https://lib.asu.edu/librarychannel/hayden-renovation-what-you-need-know

PHX31
Jan 13, 2018, 8:46 PM
I graduated ASU almost 15 years ago. Back then, I used the library mostly for studying. I actually liked the dungeon aspect of it and had several spots in the basement and obe in the tower near a small window and an outside planter area that were "hidden" or "less traveled" that were very conducive to getting my homework done.

Aesthetically, I used to think the original 1966 "tower" was ugly, but I've grown to really appreciate mid -century architecture, so I think it's great now. I hope they do keep it mostly in tact. I used to think it was pretty cool that you went underground and ended up in that building.

I like the 1980s addition and entrance, but would be ok with it being updated. It's a very pretty area of campus... near the MU and the fountain, next to the 1940s Danforth Chapel, the 1960s library tower, the 1980s "grand" underground entrance, and some nice landscaping/ trees.

The rendering of the update of the lantern/ Hayden lawn and plopping a big building with ramps and what looks like solar panel structures is hideous. They just need to keep the lawn looking nicer. Most universities have and need some kind of grassy quad like that. Hopefully it really is just student project plans.

PHXFlyer11
Jan 14, 2018, 1:11 PM
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2018/01/13/why-vacant-montis-la-casa-vieja-worries-tempe-leaders/996481001/

Hasn’t the development window been surpassed? If they couldn’t get off the ground in this enconomic environment, then it’s not gonna happen. Seems like developer got in way over their head.

TAZ4ate0
Jan 15, 2018, 3:07 PM
I like the 1980s addition and entrance, but would be ok with it being updated. It's a very pretty area of campus... near the MU and the fountain, next to the 1940s Danforth Chapel, the 1960s library tower, the 1980s "grand" underground entrance, and some nice landscaping/ trees.

The rendering of the update of the lantern/ Hayden lawn and plopping a big building with ramps and what looks like solar panel structures is hideous. They just need to keep the lawn looking nicer. Most universities have and need some kind of grassy quad like that. Hopefully it really is just student project plans.

Agreed.

I really enjoyed hanging out around the Hayden lawn area during my time at ASU. Beautiful part of campus.

Obadno
Jan 16, 2018, 5:01 PM
I graduated ASU almost 15 years ago. Back then, I used the library mostly for studying. I actually liked the dungeon aspect of it and had several spots in the basement and obe in the tower near a small window and an outside planter area that were "hidden" or "less traveled" that were very conducive to getting my homework done.

Aesthetically, I used to think the original 1966 "tower" was ugly, but I've grown to really appreciate mid -century architecture, so I think it's great now. I hope they do keep it mostly in tact. I used to think it was pretty cool that you went underground and ended up in that building.

I gave up on ASU"s campus when they decided power generation machines AKA solar panels, an industrial devise, should be placed over campus walkways instead of trees and completely ruined whole parts of the campus.

MegaBass
Jan 16, 2018, 7:15 PM

Much of the underground lower level is now "learning studios" or as we all call them by classrooms, computer labs and study areas last I checked around 2011. They've minimized microform, journal and video collections parts of it.

PHXFlyer11
Jan 19, 2018, 11:07 AM
Packet for The Hayden now posted: https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=60871

Looks like hotel will be a Hyatt concept. Also, they are condos instead of rentals!!!

muertecaza
Jan 19, 2018, 3:53 PM
Packet for The Hayden now posted: https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=60871

Looks like hotel will be a Hyatt concept. Also, they are condos instead of rentals!!!

Nice. :tup: Not the biggest fan of the looks of this one. But stuff always seems to have such an uphill battle in Tempe that I'm not gonna complain.

muertecaza
Jan 19, 2018, 3:55 PM
The Local.

https://i.imgur.com/NMEFeVKh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MHzaaA6h.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YSbieP1h.jpg

stutteringpunk
Jan 19, 2018, 6:08 PM

Really hope this gets done. We need more buildings that high south of the mountain before ASU buys all the land and builds more 5-stories.

PHXFlyer11
Jan 19, 2018, 8:29 PM
Really hope this gets done. We need more buildings that high south of the mountain before ASU buys all the land and builds more 5-stories.

I love that this is not a full or half block mega project. Tempe seems to be getting that right. Same goes for the new hotel on Mill and the proposed building next to it. Great to see.

somethingfast
Jan 20, 2018, 1:21 AM
The Hayden looks really rad. Hope it happens.

RichTempe
Jan 21, 2018, 12:30 AM
The shorter of the 2 cranes at the 7th Street project is coming down today:

https://app.oxblue.com/open/EDR/tempe

muertecaza
Jan 22, 2018, 8:42 PM
Fence going up at Mirabella.

https://i.imgur.com/Ogv1TS0h.jpg

Obadno
Jan 24, 2018, 3:47 PM
Article about market outlook from AZ bigmedia: https://azbigmedia.com/here-is-azres-2018-commercial-real-estate-outlook/

But what's weird is it has a seemingly new rendering for 100 rio? am I crazy have we seen this before?

https://azbigmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/100-Mill-rendering.jpg

TAZ4ate0
Jan 24, 2018, 5:54 PM
^We've seen a few different renderings for that site.. Don't recall seeing this one though. I'm not going to hold my breath, however. I believe that site is going to be awhile before it gets developed. I like the rendering, and it would be nice to see it done.

Edit: This is an encouraging comment from the article. Considering that I work in the industry:

" Overall, Metro Phoenix’s office market is performing well, with tech being a major driver,” says Bryan Taute, executive vice president at CBRE. “Downtown Phoenix and Scottsdale continue to garner attention from tech companies, but Tempe tops the charts in terms of tech rent growth. All of these areas have seen significant demand from tech companies looking to draw from a high concentration of Millennials.”

https://azbigmedia.com/here-is-azres-2018-commercial-real-estate-outlook/

muertecaza
Jan 24, 2018, 5:59 PM
Article about market outlook from AZ bigmedia: https://azbigmedia.com/here-is-azres-2018-commercial-real-estate-outlook/

But what's weird is it has a seemingly new rendering for 100 rio? am I crazy have we seen this before?

Don't think I've seen that rendering of 100 Mill before. Hopefully it's new and there is something moving.

xymox
Jan 24, 2018, 8:33 PM

Based on the rendering - this evidently will take place AFTER city of Tempe takes down that pesky A-Mountain?

More room for towers! ;)

Obadno
Jan 24, 2018, 9:23 PM
https://azbigmedia.com/canopy-hilton-will-build-new-hotel-tempe/

https://azbigmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Canopy-by-Hilton.jpg

Driftwood Acquisitions & Development (DAD), a company with decades of hospitality experience and a strategic focus on hotel and resort acquisitions, today announced plans to build a new Canopy by Hilton (NYSE: HLT) in Tempe, Arizona. The $60M+, 200-room Canopy by Hilton Tempe Downtown, University Area is in the heart of Tempe on University Drive, across the street from Arizona State University (ASU), one of the largest public university campuses by enrollment in the United States. DAD is purchasing the land parcel from The OPUS Group to anchor a corner of OPUS’ highly anticipated full block, mixed-use development Union Tempe, featuring two residential high-rise apartment towers connected to 31,000 sq. ft. of retail and restaurant space.

Posted in Union thread too.

muertecaza
Jan 24, 2018, 9:45 PM
Based on the rendering - this evidently will take place AFTER city of Tempe takes down that pesky A-Mountain?

More room for towers! ;)

Hahaha didn't notice that. What a strange omission.

https://azbigmedia.com/canopy-hilton-will-build-new-hotel-tempe/

https://azbigmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Canopy-by-Hilton.jpg

Posted in Union thread too.

Awesome, thanks for posting. Glad they won't leave a gap.

azsunsurfer
Jan 25, 2018, 12:01 AM
It wasn't mentioned in the Scottsdale thread, but they are also building one of those Canopy's in Old Town Scottsdale. It looks nice, 6 stories with a rooftop pool/ club. I wonder if Tempe will over build on the hotels since Watermark is planning one, the Athletic District is planning some, the Kimpton, the Westin and the Omni to name just a few.

azsunsurfer
Jan 25, 2018, 12:02 AM
Also the "Mill", the Cambria on College that was just posted on here and whatever that mixed use development is by the Hanover is suppose to have one as well...

Classical in Phoenix
Jan 25, 2018, 12:42 AM
I don't think there is any way they can all get built this cycle. Lenders will get nervous at some point. Hopefully, we will some of the better ones get completed.

ASU Diablo
Jan 25, 2018, 1:35 AM
New details regarding the new hockey arena (5K seating and just north of WFA) and the complete renovation of the lower level bowl for Wells Fargo Arena. This is great news and WFA really needed the work.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1392091/new-hockey-home-renovated-wells-fargo-area-on-tap-at-asu/

Link also to the document:https://public.azregents.edu/Shared%20Documents/2018-01-25-Business-and-Finance-CMT-Book.pdf

ASU Diablo
Jan 25, 2018, 6:24 PM
More info:

https://www.bdcnetwork.com/new-arizona-state-university-building-will-reach-triple-net-zero-performance

Definitely going to be the coolest Light Rail station.

There was some discussion a while back about the potential rendering of ITSB 7 from Studio Ma. Looks like Architekton-Grimshaw was chosen as the Design Professional team. Also according to the map, the building will take over the car wash and retail building that used to house America's Taco Shop. Construction slated to begin Oct 2018

Info begins on pg. 37. (https://public.azregents.edu/Shared%20Documents/2018-01-25-Business-and-Finance-CMT-Book.pdf)

muertecaza
Jan 25, 2018, 8:21 PM
There was some discussion a while back about the potential rendering of ITSB 7 from Studio Ma. Looks like Architekton-Grimshaw was chosen as the Design Professional team. Also according to the map, the building will take over the car wash and retail building that used to house America's Taco Shop. Construction slated to begin Oct 2018

Info begins on pg. 37. (https://public.azregents.edu/Shared%20Documents/2018-01-25-Business-and-Finance-CMT-Book.pdf)

Nice. A lot going on for ASU. Will be interesting to see what Architekton has planned. The map still seems to show the building overlapping the light rail.

muertecaza
Jan 25, 2018, 8:32 PM
Miscellaneous notes for Tempe:

"The Hayden" (hotel/condos at 5th and College) passed the DRC without any significant opposition
There is a fence up around the site for the 'Collective' at 7th and Myrtle (next to the Westin site). Fence has signs for UEB. Seems premature, as that project hasn't even gone through entitlements. But maybe sign of good things to come?
They are underway tearing up the parking lot where Mirabella will go. Have to say it gives me joy to see that parking lot gone, even if it's not for USA Place.
https://i.imgur.com/dysJVL9l.jpg
Use permit hearing upcoming for the Barmeier building. The market/restaurant concept still appears to be in the works.

stutteringpunk
Jan 25, 2018, 10:16 PM

I'm kinda bummed if the Studio Ma. renderings get completely pitched. That map in the link doesn't look like the project will cover as much ground as in those renderings, which means we might lose out on that cool transparent canopy looking thing. Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong, either way, I want the light rail station to look cool like other university public transit stations around the country.

ASUSunDevil
Jan 25, 2018, 10:25 PM
I'm kinda bummed if the Studio Ma. renderings get completely pitched. That map in the link doesn't look like the project will cover as much ground as in those renderings, which means we might lose out on that cool transparent canopy looking thing. Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong, either way, I want the light rail station to look cool like other university public transit stations around the country.

With Architekton at the helm, this project is in great hands.

http://www.architekton.com

stutteringpunk
Jan 25, 2018, 11:29 PM
With Architekton at the helm, this project is in great hands.

http://www.architekton.com

Oh I have no doubt the design will look cool, I just hope we don't lose too many of the original concepts from the initial rendering. I'm hoping for a similarly vast atrium, that canopy thing I mentioned, and what I assume would be some sort of tunnel through the main building. Mainly, I don't want to see these ideas scaled back. This station is more or less THE official ASU stop, so I'm hoping the surrounding environment leave a big impression for those riding the rail.

CrestedSaguaro
Jan 26, 2018, 5:27 PM
Here's the FAA Evaluation submitted for the Canopy:

Overview

Study (ASN): 2018-AWP-100-OE
Prior Study:

Received Date: 01/08/2018
Entered Date: 01/08/2018
Map: View Map

Construction Info Structure Summary

Notice Of: CONSTR
Duration: PERM (Months: 0 Days: 0)
Work Schedule: 05/01/2018 to 10/31/2018

Structure Type: Building
Structure Name: Canopy by Hilton Tempe
FCC Number:

Structure Details Height and Elevation

Latitude (NAD 83): 33° 25' 20.80" N
Longitude (NAD 83): 111° 56' 16.90" W
Datum: NAD 83
City: Tempe
State: AZ
Nearest County: Maricopa

Proposed

Site Elevation:

Structure Height:

Total Height (AMSL):

Sun Belt
Jan 26, 2018, 6:37 PM

More room for towers! ;)

Good observation! Wasn't Tempe at one time, long ago, considering leveling A Mountain for that exact reason, to open up space for development?

Obadno
Jan 26, 2018, 7:22 PM
Good observation! Wasn't Tempe at one time, long ago, considering leveling A Mountain for that exact reason, to open up space for development?

Wow that sounds like a pre 1960's idea "lets just level that mountain!"

Its a good thing they didn't.

CrestedSaguaro
Jan 26, 2018, 7:48 PM
Wow that sounds like a pre 1960's idea "lets just level that mountain!"

Its a good thing they didn't.

If they did that, I would never visit within Tempe borders again. Let's hope this never becomes an idea again and if whomever brings it up, they are quickly voted out of office.

muertecaza
Jan 26, 2018, 8:11 PM
If they did that, I would never visit within Tempe borders again. Let's hope this never becomes an idea again and if whomever brings it up, they are quickly voted out of office.

I don't know of any plans to level the mountain, but the Hayden Ferry South plan in the late 90s would have allowed retail and condos to creep up the slopes around the Mill.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/what-a-butte-6417075

Tempe reversed course and designated the portion of the butte it owns as a preserve in 2002. So doubtful anyone would float that kind of an idea again.

CrestedSaguaro
Jan 26, 2018, 8:22 PM
I don't know of any plans to level the mountain, but the Hayden Ferry South plan in the late 90s would have allowed retail and condos to creep up the slopes around the Mill.

Tempe reversed course and designated the portion of the butte it owns as a preserve in 2002. So doubtful anyone would float that kind of an idea again.

I think any attempt to touch any more of Hayen Butte in today's world would be met with fierce backlash from just about everyone including most of ASU's students that hike up the mountain by the hundreds daily.

But it still would not stop someone from proposing such an absurd idea. :koko:

dtnphx
Jan 26, 2018, 9:34 PM
I think any attempt to touch any more of Hayen Butte in today's world would be met with fierce backlash from just about everyone including most of ASU's students that hike up the mountain by the hundreds daily.

But it still would not stop someone from proposing such an absurd idea. :koko:

There's an ancient grain silo and burial tombs inside... :runaway:

Obadno
Jan 26, 2018, 10:20 PM

I mean IDK, A mountain isn't sacred to me I think it might be cool with condos and stuff creeping up it like a modern, expensive version of a Brazilian favela :tup:, the views would be awesome!

ciweiss
Jan 29, 2018, 12:25 AM
I believe I saw a pile of rail for the trolley next to 5th and Ash.

muertecaza
Jan 29, 2018, 4:16 AM

Nice.

https://www.valleymetro.org/news/tempe-streetcar-rail-arrives

Classical in Phoenix
Jan 29, 2018, 7:25 PM
An article on the ASU sports improvements. Not much new.

Major changes are in the works for @ASU Wells Fargo Arena, as well as a new home for @TheSunDevils sports like #hockey.
https://t.co/cgAN8QJWZw

TAZ4ate0
Jan 30, 2018, 5:36 PM

Yep. And there is a big stack of rail at Apache and Terrace. Things are coming along nicely and the rail is being distributed all along the route. :cheers:

muertecaza
Feb 6, 2018, 4:11 PM
Couple updates from Apache:

Fence is up and they are doing demo work on Metro 101 site (Apache/101)
Red zoning sign up at the triangle lot at Apache/Terrace. Looks like it's not just the vacant lot, but includes at least one parcel to the west. Few details on the sign.

https://i.imgur.com/uQg9nZTh.jpg

azsunsurfer
Feb 6, 2018, 4:15 PM
Couple updates from Apache:

Fence is up and they are doing demo work on Metro 101 site (Apache/101)
Red zoning sign up at the triangle lot at Apache/Terrace. Looks like it's not just the vacant lot, but includes at least one parcel to the west. Few details on the sign.

https://i.imgur.com/uQg9nZTh.jpg

This is the project that the City Council approved the development agreement with Gilbane Company. They are developing a student housing midrise but have to also provide "workforce" housing as well as retail. Curious to see how they treat the corner.

Obadno
Feb 6, 2018, 4:30 PM
This is the project that the City Council approved the development agreement with Gilbane Company. They are developing a student housing midrise but have to also provide "workforce" housing as well as retail. Curious to see how they treat the corner.

"workforce housing"

If I was going to live in Tempe I think I would avoid anything close to Apache and Rural, too many college kids and I say that as a 28 year old.

muertecaza
Feb 6, 2018, 5:09 PM

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath for something groundbreaking, but we have so few diagonal streets that it would be nice to have a flatiron-esque corner there.

With 4.84 acres, my best guess is the the project will include the whole triangle from Terrace/Lemon, straight south to Apache, and then over to Apache/Terrace.

https://i.imgur.com/GYpjqj3h.jpg

muertecaza
Feb 7, 2018, 4:51 PM
Presentation on status of upstream Town Lake pedestrian bridge can be seen here:

https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=61242

They are still working on design concepts. Public meeting schedule for Feb. 15 for public input.

muertecaza
Feb 7, 2018, 4:59 PM
Renderings for "The Collective," at 7th St./Myrtle:

https://i.imgur.com/JJOWqLNh.png

https://i.imgur.com/lkpJxkkh.png

https://i.imgur.com/vKtCqeyh.png

https://i.imgur.com/eGXg1aoh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WhuEBcmh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gG65mkih.jpg

Obadno
Feb 7, 2018, 5:00 PM
Renderings for "The Collective," at 7th St./Myrtle:

https://i.imgur.com/JJOWqLNh.png

https://i.imgur.com/lkpJxkkh.png

https://i.imgur.com/vKtCqeyh.png

https://i.imgur.com/eGXg1aoh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WhuEBcmh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gG65mkih.jpg

:cheers::cheers:

Holy COw!

stutteringpunk
Feb 7, 2018, 6:01 PM
If the Hayden, Collective and Westin Hotel all get built, Downtown will be looking very nice

muertecaza
Feb 7, 2018, 6:34 PM
If the Hayden, Collective and Westin Hotel all get built, Downtown will be looking very nice

I really like the bird's eye rendering that shows the potential stretch of highrises along 7th St. On top of Union, Westin and Collective, you could potentially have 7th/Forest, the Congregational Church lot, the corner of 7th/Mill, and 7th/College where the Newman Center project was proposed.

azsunsurfer
Feb 7, 2018, 6:53 PM
What I don't understand is if the last student housing proposal (The Standard) was not approved because Tempe didn't want student housing there...then why would Tempe agree to the collective. I know the standard was proposed for where the Westin is but still....I thought Tempe was anti-student housing closer to Mill?

combusean
Feb 7, 2018, 7:19 PM
Yeah, I'm not holding my breath for something groundbreaking, but we have so few diagonal streets that it would be nice to have a flatiron-esque corner there.

With 4.84 acres, my best guess is the the project will include the whole triangle from Terrace/Lemon, straight south to Apache, and then over to Apache/Terrace.

https://i.imgur.com/GYpjqj3h.jpg

I hope this isn't like past superblock developments like Nexa or Alta Midtown or that one thing on University and Dorsey on similar sized lots. When you have so many acres, you don't get enough of an activated ground floor and there's often a lot of surface parking.

The Collective looks freaking amazing tho.

azsunsurfer
Feb 11, 2018, 8:55 PM
The Grand...has a fancy new freeway monument sign up along the 202 and they have started construction on the first office "tower" fronting the 202

azsunsurfer
Feb 11, 2018, 8:56 PM
Also construction has started on the second Freedom Financial building fronting the 101 202 interchange

ASUSunDevil
Feb 11, 2018, 9:41 PM
The Grand...has a fancy new freeway monument sign up along the 202 and they have started construction on the first office "tower" fronting the 202

Just saw that too. The Grand makes me less miserable about the Cardinals Stadium not getting built there as planned.

ASU Diablo
Feb 12, 2018, 10:59 PM
Hopefully this is the end of this saga...curious to see what the city plans to do with lot and the adobe home

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2018/02/12/judge-gives-tempe-squatter-30-days-vacate-land-he-claims-his/329784002/

stutteringpunk
Feb 13, 2018, 1:20 AM
Hopefully this is the end of this saga...curious to see what the city plans to do with lot and the adobe home

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2018/02/12/judge-gives-tempe-squatter-30-days-vacate-land-he-claims-his/329784002/

"There's nothing I can do about it anymore."

That sure sounds like it, but naturally the lawyer is planning on appealing. Still, given the history of the case and the numerous failed appeals to date, I'd say the end is in sight. What's absurd is that the guy wasn't even living there anymore, he has a house somewhere else in Tempe.

PHXFlyer11
Feb 13, 2018, 1:46 AM
"There's nothing I can do about it anymore."

That sure sounds like it, but naturally the lawyer is planning on appealing. Still, given the history of the case and the numerous failed appeals to date, I'd say the end is in sight. What's absurd is that the guy wasn't even living there anymore, he has a house somewhere else in Tempe.

He certainly didn’t do himself any favors by having his property be a junkyard. If it was more appealing he could win public support, but nobody wants to support an eyesore.

phoenixwillrise
Feb 13, 2018, 3:55 AM
Mixed use at 7th and Myrtle

http://azbex.com/22-story-mixed-use-tower-planned-in-tempe/

PHXFlyer11
Feb 13, 2018, 1:40 PM
Mixed use at 7th and Myrtle

http://azbex.com/22-story-mixed-use-tower-planned-in-tempe/

Best part is that the corner of Mill and 7th will still be vacant. So we can see 3 towers potentially on 7th between Myrtle and Mill!

MegaBass
Feb 15, 2018, 7:44 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVi3TANWkAIsnPD.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVi3S9cW4AAZuaz.jpg

The Local Apartments at the marquee intersection of University and Ash h/t Suntec Concrete (https://twitter.com/SuntecConcrete/status/961720060212629504)

muertecaza
Feb 16, 2018, 4:11 AM
More development coming along Rio Salado. This is in the north side, just west of the 101. Next to Streetlights.

https://i.imgur.com/Br0Z3WUh.jpg

stutteringpunk
Feb 16, 2018, 4:49 AM
Here's hoping that development on Rio gets built. It's a hassle driving there as it is, but I'd gladly take density over industrial sites in the hottest part of town. I also like the look of structures butted closely to the freeways.

TAZ4ate0
Feb 16, 2018, 6:17 AM
Here's hoping that development on Rio gets built. It's a hassle driving there as it is, but I'd gladly take density over industrial sites in the hottest part of town. I also like the look of structures butted closely to the freeways.

Edit: nvm

muertecaza
Feb 16, 2018, 4:54 PM
The fence that was previously just around The Collective site is now also around the Westin site next door. Given that the Westin site has that basketball court and things meant to be used in the planning stages, hopefully Westin is close to construction?

azsunsurfer
Feb 20, 2018, 6:17 PM
Notice the updated Grand siteplans and it looks like they are feeling bearish on the Tempe market. Originally they were going to have 5, 9 story midrises surrounding the water feature on the south side but now it's only 4. At least as I mentioned they've started to go vertical on the first 'tower' and garage.

ASUSunDevil
Feb 20, 2018, 7:10 PM
Notice the updated Grand siteplans and it looks like they are feeling bearish on the Tempe market.

Highly doubt this.

Obadno
Feb 20, 2018, 7:44 PM
Notice the updated Grand siteplans and it looks like they are feeling bearish on the Tempe market. Originally they were going to have 5, 9 story midrises surrounding the water feature on the south side but now it's only 4. At least as I mentioned they've started to go vertical on the first 'tower' and garage.

The siteplan looks the same on their website? What new one are you talking about?

combusean
Feb 20, 2018, 8:00 PM
deleted, thanks azsunsurfer. Misread the post.

azsunsurfer
Feb 20, 2018, 8:07 PM
It's not a height reduction...They removed an entire building in the revised site plan now only showing 4 buildings at 9 stories each as opposed to the approved site plan that showed 5 just north of the freeway. That's a reduction of about 600K plus sqft. of office space. That's a sizable reduction. The way they've reoriented the site plan now doesn't even allow them to add the fifth building anymore.

Obadno
Feb 20, 2018, 10:34 PM
It's not a height reduction...They removed an entire building in the revised site plan now only showing 4 buildings at 9 stories each as opposed to the approved site plan that showed 5 just north of the freeway. That's a reduction of about 600K plus sqft. of office space. That's a sizable reduction. The way they've reoriented the site plan now doesn't even allow them to add the fifth building anymore.

I see what your saying but that site plan has been amended for some time now well over a year and it looks more like the three buildings facing the 202 have been combined into just two with the two center building being wider, I don’t think the square foot loss is as big as you do.