PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : Fargo-Moorhead developments information

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Paintballer1708
Jun 12, 2006, 1:28 AM
http://www.census.gov/popest/gallery/maps/numchg_2004_2005.html

I posted that before. Obviously now all of North Dakota is growing. I mean somehow people are attracted to the state. You say that Fargo and even North Dakota for that matter are growing by births? How can that be? Thats alot of people giving birth. There are people moving to North Dakota from out of state. And that site i gave is from the U.S. Census Bureau of Population. They are the ones to turn to when you have any questions about population.

Paintballer1708
Jun 12, 2006, 1:32 AM
http://www.census.gov/popest/gallery/maps/chg0405.html

All though according to this it looks like some day Sioux Falls might pass up Fargo in population. Not just city wise. But metro also.

BigTicket
Jun 12, 2006, 2:44 AM
I dont understand why all the numbers are being thrown out, whats the source? It sounds like the primary sources cited here are not the official census numbers or official department of labor or economic analysis numbers but numbers just being thrown out or imagined. I am sure Burke County, ND with its 80% population loss according to the census since 1920 could pretend its growing also and pretend up numbers.

If Fargo grew by 34,000 people and its labor force increased by 47 peopleit must have an astronomical birth-rate or senior citizens moving in by thousands. Also why isnt unemployment way up if employment only increased by 581 people when the claim from word of mouth is that the increase was 34,000 people.

New numbers show at least 90% of Fargo's population growth is all births now. The new figures from the census show a domestic out-migration of several dozen people in 2005 and the labor force from April 2005 to April 2006 gained only 47 people.

I've already posted this once but here it is again....

From the 2004 City of Fargo housing study...

"Despite the long-established pattern of strong growth, the official data services have had a tendency to underestimate the pace of growth in the City. Estimates in the late 1990s failed to reflect the growth that was eventually documented by the 2000 Census. Likewise, US Census Bureau estimates released since 2000 show very limited population growth between 2000 and 2002, and an actual loss of population between 2001 and 2002. While we cannot prove or disprove the Census Bureau's 2002 population estimate, the information that we have collected would not support a significant slowdown in growth for the City, or an actual loss of population since 2001."

Here is the link to the very long PDF file...
http://www.ci.fargo.nd.us/Planning/H...dy.pdf#search=

The Census estimates aren't very accurate and the only numbers I really care about are the official ones that come out every 10 years. The census estimate of Fargo adding about 500 people since 2000 is complete bull. Fargo-Moorhead's metro population is probably somewhere between 212,000 and 220,000.

F-Misthebest
Jun 12, 2006, 2:55 AM
^Oh definetly. Fargo in the city is already smaller then Sioux Falls. It has around 140,000 where as we have around 100,000. The metro areas are necka and neck if you ask me, I mean look at this http://www.demographia.com/db-metmic2004.pdf, Fargo is 179 and Sioux Falls is 180. In the last 5 or so years we grew 10,000 as Sioux Falls grew 20,000. They are growing extremely fast!!! I mean it's like the roadrunner speed. But with all the houses being built this year (2005-2006) in Fargo-Moorhead, it is going to be very close for the 2006 metro population. We will find out those populations in 2007 however. But I believe that this is the fastest that the area has ever grown. And if this new mall is built on 52nd, that will only give us a larger population boost. By 2010 I believe that the Fargo metro will be around 220,000 and Sioux Falls will be around 222,000. Maybe. If we are at 210,000 or 213,000 we should get around 220,000 for sure.

F-Misthebest
Jun 12, 2006, 2:58 AM
Fargo-Moorhead's metro population is probably somewhere between 212,000 and 220,000.

I certainly hope so.

SmileyBoy
Jun 12, 2006, 5:53 AM
^Oh definetly. Fargo in the city is already smaller then Sioux Falls. It has around 140,000 where as we have around 100,000. The metro areas are necka and neck if you ask me, I mean look at this http://www.demographia.com/db-metmic2004.pdf, Fargo is 179 and Sioux Falls is 180. In the last 5 or so years we grew 10,000 as Sioux Falls grew 20,000. They are growing extremely fast!!! I mean it's like the roadrunner speed. But with all the houses being built this year (2005-2006) in Fargo-Moorhead, it is going to be very close for the 2006 metro population. We will find out those populations in 2007 however. But I believe that this is the fastest that the area has ever grown. And if this new mall is built on 52nd, that will only give us a larger population boost. By 2010 I believe that the Fargo metro will be around 220,000 and Sioux Falls will be around 222,000. Maybe. If we are at 210,000 or 213,000 we should get around 220,000 for sure.

I always look at urban area population personally to see a good comparison of cities. Right now Fargo-Moorhead-West Fargo-Dilworth-Horace has 168,000 while Sioux Falls-Brandon (the only two cities that connect to form an urban area) probably have a little over 150,000 right now. I'm not sure even at the pace of growth of the two cities that SF would catch up to F-M in urban area anytime soon. On the other hand, for the moment, F-M has a bigger metro, but I agree that it may change very soon, and SF may come out ahead. Either way, both cities are growing at quite fast (and probably very similar) speeds. It may be very close for years to come.

SmileyBoy
Jun 12, 2006, 5:55 AM
I dont understand why all the numbers are being thrown out, whats the source? It sounds like the primary sources cited here are not the official census numbers or official department of labor or economic analysis numbers but numbers just being thrown out or imagined. I am sure Burke County, ND with its 80% population loss according to the census since 1920 could pretend its growing also and pretend up numbers.

If Fargo grew by 34,000 people and its labor force increased by 47 peopleit must have an astronomical birth-rate or senior citizens moving in by thousands. Also why isnt unemployment way up if employment only increased by 581 people when the claim from word of mouth is that the increase was 34,000 people.

New numbers show at least 90% of Fargo's population growth is all births now. The new figures from the census show a domestic out-migration of several dozen people in 2005 and the labor force from April 2005 to April 2006 gained only 47 people.

Fargo-Moorhead's labour force did not grow by only 47 people. I'm not buying it.

It may be the Census Bureau who said this, but remember, they're almost as incompentent as FEMA right now.

Midwesterner19
Jun 12, 2006, 6:07 AM
I dont understand why there is a very positive reaction when the same economic release shows Fargo having unemployment of 2.5% (which ties with Iowa City for 2nd and only behind Sioux Falls). Yet when the same release shows the labor force only grew by 47 people in a year that its labeled "incompetent". By the way, the numbers of people working in that labor force increased much more then 47 people so unemployment went down.

I dont think its bad that the labor force is stagnent here, that means gaining just several hundred jobs a year means a decrease in unemployment.

NanoBison
Jun 12, 2006, 6:50 AM
But the labor force is not stagnant here. Not even close...

SmileyBoy
Jun 12, 2006, 9:45 PM
But the labor force is not stagnant here. Not even close...

Exactly. The labour force here isn't even close to being stagnant. With the rapid addition of people and the influx of new residential and commercial/industrial construction we have going on right now, it wouldn't add up to a stagnant state.

SmileyBoy
Jun 13, 2006, 5:21 AM
I guess Midwesterner won't like this news, huh??:D

Fargo to see jobs increase
By Craig McEwen, The Forum
Published Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Fargo is ranked 10th-best nationally for third-quarter 2006 job opportunities, according to a Manpower Employment Outlook Survey released today.

“Obviously, things must be looking good in Fargo,” said Milwaukee-based Manpower Inc. spokesman Paul Holley, who said Fargo tied with 10 other cities.

The listing represents net hiring by percentage between employers who plan to increase jobs and those who expect to reduce employment between July and September, he said.

In Fargo, 50 percent of companies plan to hire more employees and 3 percent expect to reduce, resulting in a net increase of 47 percent, said local Manpower spokeswoman Lora Schiltz.

That’s down from a March survey for the current quarter that showed 57 percent of Fargo employers planned to hire more workers and 3 percent expected to cut staff, or a 54 percent net increase.

“It’s still going to be strong for the employee,” Schiltz said Monday, referring to third-quarter predictions. “I think overall, for the economy, it’s a good sign.”

In the third quarter of 2005, only 23 percent of Fargo companies planned to add staff and 3 percent expected to cut staff, Schiltz said.

Ranking first in the latest third-quarter survey of 16,000 U.S. employers was Chippewa Valley, Wis., with a 64 percent net increase, Holley said.

Fargo tied with Lakeland, Fla.; Kaufman County, Texas; Modesto, Calif.; Ogden, Utah; Rocky Mount, N.C.; Elizabeth, N.J.; Daytona Beach, Fla.; Manhattan/Junction City, Kan.; Jefferson/Lewis Counties, N.Y.; and Boulder, Colo., Holley said. Each had a 47 percent net score.

Nationally, 31 percent of those surveyed plan to add staff and 6 percent expect to cut jobs, which represents a 25 percent net increase for the upcoming quarter, according to the report.

Fargo’s job prospects appear best in the construction, durable and nondurable goods manufacturing, finance, insurance, real estate, and education and service sectors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We can put this issue to rest now.

F-Misthebest
Jun 13, 2006, 5:32 AM
I'm glad you found that. It's good that we can put it to rest, finally and continue on with the Fargo-Moorhead developments.

Not to long ago did Liberty Square, in south west Fargo, add on its coupala (if that's how you spell it). It really adds to the image of the strip mall. Both West Pointe Centre and Liberty Square have been built very quickly and West Pointe Centre is building a 2+ storey building on the site. Looks pretty cool. I hope they have cool stores in them.

I am however dissapointed in the Shoppes at Osgood. It is supposed to be an upper class strip mall in south west Fargo, but it's going to have a Cost Cutters, Suntana, Extreme Pita (don't get me wrong, I love them), and a Jaz Salon. If you ask me they need some better stores in there.

SmileyBoy
Jun 13, 2006, 5:47 AM
I'm glad you found that. It's good that we can put it to rest, finally and continue on with the Fargo-Moorhead developments.

Not to long ago did Liberty Square, in south west Fargo, add on its coupala (if that's how you spell it). It really adds to the image of the strip mall. Both West Pointe Centre and Liberty Square have been built very quickly and West Pointe Centre is building a 2+ storey building on the site. Looks pretty cool. I hope they have cool stores in them.

I am however dissapointed in the Shoppes at Osgood. It is supposed to be an upper class strip mall in south west Fargo, but it's going to have a Cost Cutters, Suntana, Extreme Pita (don't get me wrong, I love them), and a Jaz Salon. If you ask me they need some better stores in there.

It's because Property Resources Group oversees that site. They SUCK.

And I hope that the Liberty Square and West Pointe Centre areas open a couple new unique franchises so I can cross a couple of them off my list of 50.:D There's a lot of strip malls going up in the city that are just BEGGING for a Jimmy John's and/or a Panera Bread.

SmileyBoy
Jun 13, 2006, 5:52 AM
BTW, my parents are in town right now, and tonight when I was driving them down 45th Street past the new Scheels, they were really impressed with it, but then my mother pointed to the dead plot of land across the street and asked me, "What are they going to build there??" And I told her that I'm personally praying for a Costco to open up there, but right now, it looks like nobody wants that land. It's really weird how that piece of land on 45th and 15th/17th hasn't been gobbled up yet, because it's in probably the most prime area of the city. 45th was just widened (and sees what, over 40,000 cars per day of traffic??), and Scheels is about to open across the street, yet there are no takers. I've lived here for 3 years now, and nobody has touched that land. What's the deal??

F-Misthebest
Jun 13, 2006, 5:58 AM
^I'm sure the land is super expensive. It's prime time real estate in Fargo across from a landmark. It's going to be very expensive.

And I agree, I'm not the biggest fan of Property Resourses Group either.

SmileyBoy
Jun 13, 2006, 6:06 AM
^I'm sure the land is super expensive. It's prime time real estate in Fargo across from a landmark. It's going to be very expensive.

And I agree, I'm not the biggest fan of Property Resourses Group either.

Goldmark is trying to sell that land, so most definitely it will be something primo. That's why I'm thinking it will be a big box, because Goldmark and Schlossman led the trend in the 90's with building big boxes all along 13th and 45th, so I'm thinking they might have a few hopeful buyers (Costco?? Staples??), and are trying to woo them to buy the land. I really don't know, but all I know is that land needs to have something on it. It's just a hunk of dead, useless field right now.

F-Misthebest
Jun 13, 2006, 6:08 AM
Oh! I just wanted to share a great place to take a picture of the Fargo skyline. On the newly renovated Kassenborg building in Downtown Moorhead, there is roof access. Sure it's up a ladder in an elevated, non-lighted, hallway but oh well. So if you go up there you get the river, Main Ave. Bridge, the downtown skyline, and the beautiful sky. I'm going to take a picture tomorrow and post it to show you how great it is.

F-Misthebest
Jun 13, 2006, 6:11 AM
Goldmark is trying to sell that land, so most definitely it will be something primo. That's why I'm thinking it will be a big box, because Goldmark and Schlossman led the trend in the 90's with building big boxes all along 13th and 45th, so I'm thinking they might have a few hopeful buyers (Costco?? Staples??), and are trying to woo them to buy the land. I really don't know, but all I know is that land needs to have something on it. It's just a hunk of dead, useless field right now.

That would be cool to have those big box retailers come in. In the Urban Plains development, I would like to see Von Maur. I know I've brought this up before but I think Fargo is ready for this store. Also in the new mall on 52nd (if they build it), I would like to see SuperTarget and Circuit City. Best Buy needs some competition.;)

F-Misthebest
Jun 13, 2006, 6:19 AM
Any new news on the Konrad Olson skyscraper?

NanoBison
Jun 13, 2006, 7:12 AM
I'm glad to hear that we have that many businesses looking to add new jobs in the area. Good news for college grads and good news in general.

In terms of that land directly across from the new Scheels, I wouldn't be surprised if it was gobbled up by the end of the summer. I only remember recently seeing the "for sale" sign going up after they flattened the field (there was a large mound of dirt left over from digging the Scheels foundation, they just put it there, across the street and had Earth movers flatten the area). If the area in the SE section of 32nd Ave S and University is any indication of how quickly that land will be developed (ENORMOUS housing project and corporate center for Fargo Blood Bank), I think we can expect it to be at least sold by the time students return for school.

Don't worry anyone about the population loss once Midwesterner does leave us. My sister is coming down to Fargo to start school at NDSU and bringing her son along as well. So that balances out the population loss from Midwesterner and adds 1. Nice.

:tup:

NanoBison
Jun 13, 2006, 7:24 AM
Any new news on the Konrad Olson skyscraper?

Yes Smiley, would you be able to talk with Olson and gauge where he sits on the development of that idea? Are we talking 5 years? 10 years? 25 years?

If you do get a chance to talk to him, make sure to urge 30 storeys and up. We've got our 19 and 22 storey towers, let make this one the signature tower for the skyline. It can be our John Hancock Tower or Sears Tower. (Well, not Sears Tower in terms of occupation..., that building last I read, was starting to empty out....hopefully it's turned around since then...)

I'm hoping for something along the lines of Prudential Center (801 Grand, Des Moines) in Iowa.

http://www.doorsinciowa.com/801_GRAND_WEB_PAGE_005.jpg

Of course, not quite that tall, (this one's 45 storeys, 630 ft...), but hey, if Conrad wants something that tall, I'm for it....

:banana: :banana: :banana:

(Come to think of it, why the heck didn't cityscapes make their proposal taller, instead of wider... it would have given the project more appeal...)

NanoBison
Jun 13, 2006, 7:36 AM
Of course, I have the perfect location downtown where any prominent tower should go, if built. It's the blue area in the image below. Bulldoze the ABC Adult Bookstore and Move FPS Stamping and Labels. Then you have a prominent city block to build a prominent building on.

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/1235/downtown4qa.gif

:cheers:

F-Misthebest
Jun 14, 2006, 4:24 AM
That would be a great place. All it is is crappy businesses and parking lots. Skyscraper, good. ABC and parking lots, bad.

F-Misthebest
Jun 14, 2006, 4:29 AM
Yes Smiley, would you be able to talk with Olson and gauge where he sits on the development of that idea? Are we talking 5 years? 10 years? 25 years?

If you do get a chance to talk to him, make sure to urge 30 storeys and up. We've got our 19 and 22 storey towers, let make this one the signature tower for the skyline. It can be our John Hancock Tower or Sears Tower. (Well, not Sears Tower in terms of occupation..., that building last I read, was starting to empty out....hopefully it's turned around since then...)

I'm hoping for something along the lines of Prudential Center (801 Grand, Des Moines) in Iowa.

http://www.doorsinciowa.com/801_GRAND_WEB_PAGE_005.jpg

Of course, not quite that tall, (this one's 45 storeys, 630 ft...), but hey, if Conrad wants something that tall, I'm for it....

:banana: :banana: :banana:

(Come to think of it, why the heck didn't cityscapes make their proposal taller, instead of wider... it would have given the project more appeal...)

That would be really cool. Only in time will it happen though. The wind switched direction and so I know a skyscraper will be born soon. Okay. I made that wind thing up but I do think a skyscraper will come to the downtown area soon.

F-Misthebest
Jun 14, 2006, 4:31 AM
I would really like to see a high-rise in downtown Moorhead. This won't happen for a while but when their downtown gets back on their feet, which they are well on their way. If they pick up the rest of the city it will be a lot more appealing to a developer. I have an idea that won't happen but its just an idea. When the population reaches...55,000 I think they need to tear down the M&H and build a Hyatt Hotel that is 50 meters tall (the same height as the Bank of the West). If Moorhead is 55,000 Fargo would be around 136,000 people alone. I believe that West Fargo will peak around 30,000-40,000 so it won't be bigger then Moorhead. I don't want West Fargo to be bigger that's just weird. Dilworth would probably be around 7,000-10,000. Not quite there yet. I believe the exact population now is 5,563 from 3,001 in 2000.

Well, if we have this many people in the metro area that means we will have more companies, attractions, restaurants, and other things that tourists and/or people on business want to have. Downtown is doing well and I think will be a decent sized business center for the area. This means more people would want to stay there. So another hotel would do well, especially a nice one. Well it's just an idea and I would like your comments (preferably not Midwesterner's)

That was from page ten. Back when everyone was snapping at Midwesterner if anyone didn't know.

Anyway, I would like your opinion on this idea.

NanoBison
Jun 14, 2006, 6:52 AM
Once the current development (condo's and Kassenberg block) gets close to being wrapped up, I see more development happening shortly. They still have to build a 5-6 storey office building in front of the new Atomic Coffee area... Unfortunately it's going to block a great view of Fargo across the river, but it will also help improve the entrance to the city as you go over the Main Avenue Bridge.

Here's my prediction. Moorhead will get a minimum 10-storey building within the next 5-10 years and it will probably be tied to a decent hotel/mixed use project. Once Fargo's skyline starts to dramatically improve, and both downtowns approach a critical mass, there will be people willing to dish out the cash for a condo on the 10th floor of a high rise, with a view of the river and fargo. Actually, if you want to ask me, I think they should build a 15-25 storey tower (residential, condos, apartments, old folks home) facing the downtown area from the area where they are demolishing the current power plant.... here's an image showing you where (green area):

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/5203/powerplant6ci.gif

After that, I see the houses in the red areas being purhcased to make way for larger developments along the river... Imagine looking at some marvelous brick, glass, and steel architecture surrounded by lush green vegetation from the Dike East Park near the Dam?

:)

NanoBison
Jun 14, 2006, 7:42 AM
Terminal expansion starts in fall
By Andrea Domaskin, The Forum
Published Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Construction is expected to start this fall on an expansion of the terminal at Fargo’s Hector International Airport.

The Municipal Airport Authority plans to open bids in August on the project, which involves adding to the north and west sides of the terminal and remodeling the interior.

It’s now expected to cost $14.6 million, about $2 million higher than earlier estimates, architect Terry Stroh told Airport Authority members Tuesday.

Construction costs are rising, Stroh said.

“It’s pretty pricey out there. I have a hard time thinking it’s going to go backwards,” he said.

Stroh’s firm partnered with the Seattle division of the engineering and architectural firm URS last year to study the airport terminal’s expansion needs.

Their report, issued in January, says the passenger screening and meet-and-greet areas are too small and the baggage claim area becomes crowded during peak periods.

The report also says the terminal building, which dates to 1986, is well-maintained but it needs upgrades.

About $12.4 million of the expansion project cost should be eligible for Federal Aviation Administration funding, said Shawn Dobberstein, executive director of the Airport Authority. The remainder would come from the airport’s reserves and mill levy, he said.

Construction would start this fall on the west addition, which includes a third baggage claim on the ground level and a fifth gate on the upper level.

Airport officials initially had hoped to include space in the west addition for U.S. Customs and Border Protection to clear passengers on international charter flights. They learned in December they’d have trouble justifying the cost to the FAA.

Instead, expansion plans now have space for a future addition that could house customs.

The west addition could take about nine months to finish. Then construction could start on the north addition – which has additional passenger screening space, making room for additional meet-and-greet space.

Two of the airport’s four gates would be unusable during construction on the north addition. Completing the west addition first, with an extra gate, means three gates would be available at all times during construction.

Remodeling work, including replacing the terminal’s narrow escalators, will be planned to create the least disruption possible for passengers.

This is excellent news to see the airport expansion being pushed so aggresively...

:tup: :tup: :tup:

F-Misthebest
Jun 14, 2006, 4:48 PM
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/5203/powerplant6ci.gif

After that, I see the houses in the red areas being purhcased to make way for larger developments along the river... Imagine looking at some marvelous brick, glass, and steel architecture surrounded by lush green vegetation from the Dike East Park near the Dam?

:)

There is a proposed "Moorhead Center for the Arts". It would be a long, curved, glass structure in the area next to the power plant.

Good news about the airport.

NanoBison
Jun 14, 2006, 11:32 PM
Really? F-M, do you have some juicy tidbits for us on that one? I'd love to see some artist sketches of what it may look like. Or is still in the idea stages?

Actually, come to think of it, that area in the red I marked above would be EXCELLENT, with a few land adjustments (make sure safe from flooding), for a Metropolitan Center for the Arts. I think this is a case where the cities within the Metro would be better off, if they cooperated. Build a gigantic Performing Arts Center in that place and have offices and performance areas for all the "arts" organizations in the metropolitan area. They could also rework the park right next to it, so it would have fountains, a grand drive, and suitable parking for a structure of this size.

It's also far enough away from the train tracks, so that it wouldn't be an issue with Vibration or residual noise. My original thought was for a performing arts center on the land next to the Main Ave Bridge that is occupied by Mid-American Steel.

F-Misthebest
Jun 14, 2006, 11:45 PM
Well it's just in the idea stages just like the Konrad Olson skyscraper. But they are considering building it. There are some artist sketches and I will try to find them and post them but for now I will just talk about it. I think they wlil try to build it.

F-Misthebest
Jun 16, 2006, 12:00 AM
In the red area I will hope they try to renovate that area. It is not the nicest part in Moorhead and I hope some developers will try to build some high rises there. Or the owners of the homes will not be able to afford the houses because it will be the most expensive property in Moorhead. So weathier people or developers could by the houses, tear them down, and build some good things.:notacrook:

F-Misthebest
Jun 16, 2006, 12:12 AM
Oh yah! You know the cemetary on 8th Street in Moorhead, the Prairie Home Cemetary was the cemetary that inspired the movie "Prairie Home Companion". Also there was a movie that Dustin Hoffman directed that was based off of FMCT. I thought that was cool. And did you know that the man who designed the old Guthrie, thought they should by a smaller Guthrie in Fargo, so they built it and named it the Fargo-Moorhed Community Theatre.

NanoBison
Jun 16, 2006, 3:10 AM
I was actually quite surprised myself, to learn that Dustin Hoffman, was indeed working at the FMCT at one point in time. It's always cool to hear of celebrities making there first marks here. Isn't Smiley supposed to be back from his Winnipeg trip today??? I've been waiting to see if he's heard anything in terms of news on developments.

F-Misthebest
Jun 16, 2006, 6:18 AM
I don't know when he comes back and I hope he has news. Yah, but isn't it amazing that Dustin Hoffman actually worked in Fargo, North Dakota. Who would've thunk it.

F-Misthebest
Jun 16, 2006, 6:47 AM
Well on Tuesday June 13, Fargo voted on a new Mayor for the city. It turns out that Mr. Walaker won with a whopping 20,000 votes (heard that from the radio), in second Mr. Cosgriff and third Ms. Arlette Preston. I personally could not vote because I'm too young and I don't live in Fargo. I live in Horace. It's only like 5 minutes away from the south west part of Fargo though. But if I could have chosen a person I would have chosen Walaker because I agreed with him on many levels and also he has worked for the city for many years. My second choice would be Preston, Cosgriff, Swensen, and then that twenty year old guy and the 65 year old guy. I can't remember if there was anyone else. Oh well, good thing I didn't vote 'cause I don't know all of the candidates. :D :notacrook: :D

F-Misthebest
Jun 16, 2006, 6:52 AM
I took a picture of the skyline from the roof tonight with the sun about to set. I warn you, they are not the best pictures. I didn't want to have all the people on the street see me so I was very cautious. In some of the pictures I have the roof of the Kassenborg. Oh well. It was pretty hard to find the right angle with the skyline being so spread out. I also took some pictures from the roof of just the high-rise, just the Bank of the West, just the Black Building, and just the top of the Radisson because the trees were blocking. I also got a pretty decent shot of the Moorhead skyline. Anyways, I'll be posting those pictures soon. I hope you like them!

info
Jun 16, 2006, 9:18 AM
To the person that was wondering (7 pages ago) if/when a Hollister Co. was opening in Fargo the answer is January 2007 in West Acres Mall. It will be the first and only North Dakota store. It will be located in the former RCC Western and Hallmark stores which will soon be moving to there new locations in the mall. Hollister Co. has been looking at Fargo for many years now but there has been no adequate spaces available for a store of that size in West Acres. Hollister Co. is owned by Abercrombie & Fitch, which has been extremely successful in Fargo.

Paintballer1708
Jun 16, 2006, 3:23 PM
I know Abercrombie and Fitch's HQs are located in New Albany, Ohio. And Hollister's HQs are located in Columbus, Ohio. And there is not one single Hollister Co. in North Dakota? Thats suprising.

F-Misthebest
Jun 16, 2006, 4:36 PM
Well there isn't. But that's good about the Hollister but I thought it should've gone in the new upscale mall on 52nd Ave, if they build it. It was going to be more upscale then West Acres so that's why there should be a Hollister and a Banana Republic.

F-Misthebest
Jun 17, 2006, 12:14 AM
Well, they have began the construction on the Burlington Coat Factory on 13 Ave. This is cool because Fargo is the smallest city that will have this company. Rochester, Duluth, and Sioux Falls which are similar cities do not have them so I am proud of Fargo. Here is the link to Burlington Coat Factory: http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/ .

Paintballer1708
Jun 17, 2006, 4:05 AM
I think Youngstown, Ohio has one. Youngstown has about 77,000. But if you meant around the Fargo area then im sorry.

F-Misthebest
Jun 17, 2006, 4:11 AM
By the way, that is a great aerial picture of the two downtowns. On Google Earth and Google Maps you cannot zoom all the way in. You cannot get to see all the neighborhoods or any of the commercial areas. It's really sad. I'm sure that Fargo-Moorhead is on the top of the list to get a better sattelite image of the area. I hope that they get an image with the Osgood Golf Course and all the new developments in the south west part of the town.

It's strange that Midwesterner has not replied for a while. It's probably because he is moving, and there isn't enough spare time to post anything on this. To be honest, I actually miss debating with him. It gave me something to do on here besides talk about the developments. Don't get me wrong, I love to talk about the developments of this great metropolitan area and all the progress it is making. By the way, what do you think the metro area population is as of June...ummm...10. If it was 209,000 as of July 1, 2005 and all these houses have been built in this last year in Fargo, Moorhead, West Fargo, Dilworth, Wahpeton, and Breckenridge, I would say around 213,000 or 212,000. Some where in between. I think that it would be amazing if it was (I mean it's no 243,000, but oh well) that.

Do you think that the city will approve this new White Oaks Trust LLC development? I personally hope they do and I think that they will.

F-Misthebest
Jun 17, 2006, 4:14 AM
I think Youngstown, Ohio has one. Youngstown has about 77,000. But if you meant around the Fargo area then im sorry.

According to the website, they don't have one there. Also their metro area is over 700,000 as opposed to Fargo which is a little over 200,000.

Paintballer1708
Jun 17, 2006, 4:21 AM
Well according to that website Fargo doesnt have one either.

F-Misthebest
Jun 17, 2006, 4:24 AM
^Yah I know. The one that they're renovating in Fargo isn't on the website yet. But the building that their renovating has this sign in front of it says "Burlington Coat Factory Coming Soon".

Paintballer1708
Jun 17, 2006, 4:25 AM
There is one in Boardman, Ohio south of Youngstown. So i know there is one in the Youngstown Metro.

F-Misthebest
Jun 17, 2006, 4:29 AM
The Caribou Coffee in the new Hornbacher's is almost done. It looks pretty nice. I like Caribou.

What's your favorite major coffee in town out of these.

Starbucks
Caribou Coffee
Northstar Coffee
Moxi Java
Atomic Coffee
Lighthouse Coffee
Java Pit Stop

I would have to pick Atomic. Their hot chocolate is super creamy. I love it.

F-Misthebest
Jun 17, 2006, 4:30 AM
There is one in Boardman, Ohio south of Youngstown. So i know there is one in the Youngstown Metro.

Yah, I saw that too, but still the metro is over 700,000 for crying out loud. That is more then the whole state of North Dakota.:( That's so pathetic.

Paintballer1708
Jun 17, 2006, 4:32 AM
Speaking of the favorite coffee i would have to pick Starbucks. Seems like there is one everywhere in the western suburbs of Cleveland.

F-Misthebest
Jun 17, 2006, 4:34 AM
Not suprising.

F-Misthebest
Jun 17, 2006, 7:58 PM
Well, the Qdoba is really coming along nicely in the Holiday Center in Moorhead. That area is really looking nice. When the Menards and Home Depot move in it's going to be the main area for Moorhead (besides the downtown and Highway 10). I'm glad to see they are making so many new changes to the city. Fargo: you're getting some competition.:haha: But seriously I'm happy with the progress. Good for them! I'm also posting this for three reasons: Get to 350 posts on this thread, 115 post for me on this thread, and to get to page 15! Yahoo.

NanoBison
Jun 17, 2006, 8:37 PM
Not to metion, but we just also crossed 6,000 views...

I'm going to have to take a drive over there later today and check it out. Can't wait either, only 2 weeks until the largest sports store in America, the new Scheels, opens up.

(We'll only get the title for a year or so, since they've added on another 30,000-50,000 sq.ft for the Reno/Sparks, NV Scheels being developed in a new mall area...)

F-Misthebest
Jun 17, 2006, 9:03 PM
Yah I saw that on their website. It's like opening in 2009 or something. Here's the link for Scheel's www.scheels.com . If anyone wants to know it. https://www.scheelssports.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ScheelsStoreView?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&krypto=rDIUNNOXOgWowVGEl%2Bbo5DQElqOhqnfMDDpcy7nz5AUDfatzLKxRoogpIvr04x16KC%2BdWwyQMv%2Bd%0AMHGx%2Fkvc8eCeHbHV8Del4CtFiuR2d0xeGbHbX4iLcA%3D%3D&ddkey=ClickInfo here's the link for the Fargo information on the new store.

F-Misthebest
Jun 18, 2006, 3:35 AM
I this thread is also the second most thread with over 6,000 views. Only behind that Indy thing.

Paintballer1708
Jun 18, 2006, 3:39 AM
That Indy thing has also been around since 2004.

F-Misthebest
Jun 18, 2006, 3:54 AM
^Yah I guess so.

SmileyBoy
Jun 18, 2006, 5:39 AM
Well, I'm back after moving into my new place on Friday and suffering through a 10-hour shift at work today... I drove around and noticed that Alerus Financial has opened two new branch banks - One at Eagle Run Plaza and one at Osgood. Also, Choice Financial is building a new 2-storey office building in front of West Point Centre (still being built). Texas Roadhouse looks like it's definitely not being built with union labour, because it's just sprouting up out of the ground.;) The new Scheels store will open in less than two weeks. I also found out that a new TCBY at South Creek Center will open on July 12 after over 2 months of "claiming" to be "Opening Soon". Also at South Creek Center, one of the large vacant end spaces has signs slapped all over it that says "LEASED". I'm crossing my fingers for a Panera Bread. Although with the ways things are going right now, it'll probably be another bank. South and West Fargo has been getting new banks rammed up the ass lately.

One more thing: The Urban Plains development by Brandt that was promised to us back in January to break ground on construction "as soon as the ground thaws" is still devoid of any surveying or soil sample or construction equipment. And it's late June. Does anybody know WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS UP WITH THIS??? I really hope this thing will still go through, and not end up being haphazard peppercorn-style development like we already see all around South Fargo. I want to see some central urban planning, dammit!!!

F-Misthebest
Jun 18, 2006, 4:10 PM
^You're telling me.

And by the newly remodled Target on 13th, the took down the KX4 and are building a Western Bank or Western State Bank of State Bank of the West or something like that.

Yah. Eagle Run and the Shoppes at Osgood both have Alerus's. Shoppes at Osgood already opened up thier gas station too.

I'm glad you're back.

F-Misthebest
Jun 18, 2006, 5:29 PM
I just looked at Google Earth and now Fargo-Moorhead is now one of the cities that you can zoom in all the way. It has Osgood and everything. I think they took the picture right before they took down the buildings in Moorhead across from the new Atomic Coffee. It's really cool!

SmileyBoy
Jun 18, 2006, 5:53 PM
I just looked at Google Earth and now Fargo-Moorhead is now one of the cities that you can zoom in all the way. It has Osgood and everything. I think they took the picture right before they took down the buildings in Moorhead across from the new Atomic Coffee. It's really cool!

I was just at Google Maps and they still had F-M all blurry and green. Is this only available on the latest edition of Google Earth??

SmileyBoy
Jun 18, 2006, 5:54 PM
Well, the Qdoba is really coming along nicely in the Holiday Center in Moorhead. That area is really looking nice. When the Menards and Home Depot move in it's going to be the main area for Moorhead (besides the downtown and Highway 10). I'm glad to see they are making so many new changes to the city. Fargo: you're getting some competition.:haha: But seriously I'm happy with the progress. Good for them! I'm also posting this for three reasons: Get to 350 posts on this thread, 115 post for me on this thread, and to get to page 15! Yahoo.

Menards and Home Depot are "claiming" to plan to break ground this fall. Let's see what happens...

F-Misthebest
Jun 18, 2006, 6:20 PM
I guess it's only Google Earth. I like your "Avatar" thingy and your new "Shampoo is better". It's good.:haha:

NanoBison
Jun 19, 2006, 4:01 AM
I swear, this parcel of land, has got to be one of the most underrated or ignored pieces of land in the city. Why hasn't this been developed yet? It's right next to the interstate, it's got good traffic, and has HUGE potential. I've lived here 9 years now, and I haven't seen anything happen with it. Here's the plot of land.

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/4449/moorheadpotential6ee.gif

Now imagine if we could do something like the Albertville Premium Outlets store just outside of the cities??? People in Detriot Lakes, Fergus Falls, Alexandria, not to mention Bismarck, Grand Forks, Winnipeg, Sioux Falls, might come up to shop at a mall like that... It sure would beef up some competition between West Acres as well.....

Here's what I'm thinking should go there...it's basically an overlay of the layout of Albertville Premium Outlets, and I copied two plots from the Holiday Mall area to represent another possible hotel and two or more restarauntes...Please excuse the quality of the work, it was a rush job to get an idea online....

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/1593/moorheadpremiumoutlets3ak.gif

What do you guys think? Anyone else heard anything about this plot of land??? Smiley???

:shrug:

F-Misthebest
Jun 19, 2006, 4:14 AM
I thought that was where they were going to build the Home Depot. Smiley???

F-Misthebest
Jun 19, 2006, 4:19 AM
Nevermind.

F-Misthebest
Jun 19, 2006, 4:20 AM
Why can't I get these pictures to come on out on the thread. Nano, how did you do it?

NanoBison
Jun 19, 2006, 4:41 AM
I used http://imageshack.us/ to host the images and then when it presents the links for your stored image, make sure it ends with either a .jpg or .gif otherwise it goes to another page. When you link to the picture from here, make sure you trim off the excess crap in the '[img]' tags...

F-Misthebest
Jun 19, 2006, 4:43 AM
Thanks!

F-Misthebest
Jun 19, 2006, 4:44 AM
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/105/fargoaerial1rl.th.jpg (http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fargoaerial1rl.jpg)
I'll get it bigger hold on.

F-Misthebest
Jun 19, 2006, 4:45 AM
[img=http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/9936/fargoaerial5bz.th.jpg] (http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fargoaerial5bz.jpg)

Paintballer1708
Jun 19, 2006, 4:47 AM
F-Misthebest will we be able to zoom in?

F-Misthebest
Jun 19, 2006, 4:50 AM
[img=http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/7322/downtownaerial7xk.th.jpg] (http://img53.imageshack.us/my.php?image=downtownaerial7xk.jpg)
Here's the downtown.

NanoBison
Jun 19, 2006, 4:50 AM
I was under the assumption that the new Home Depot and Menards were going to go somewhere out here in the area marked by the blue box and two stars. The other area I posted about earlier is marked by the red box....

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/2515/moorheadhomedepot3gu.gif

I could be wrong though, but I remember something about 34th St is where they were supposed to be, and those two stars are close to that area, just wrong side of the road...

F-Misthebest
Jun 19, 2006, 4:51 AM
F-Misthebest will we be able to zoom in?
No. Sorry.

F-Misthebest
Jun 19, 2006, 4:52 AM
I was under the assumption that the new Home Depot and Menards were going to go somewhere out here in the area marked by the blue box and two stars. The other area I posted about earlier is marked by the red box....

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/2515/moorheadhomedepot3gu.gif

I could be wrong though, but I remember something about 34th St is where they were supposed to be, and those two stars are close to that area, just wrong side of the road...

Maybe.

I'm sorry, but how do you get the pictures on this website instead of going to another think?

F-Misthebest
Jun 19, 2006, 4:54 AM
I cannot figure this out.http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/4717/downtownaerial0fk.th.jpg (http://img160.imageshack.us/my.php?image=downtownaerial0fk.jpg)

Paintballer1708
Jun 19, 2006, 4:57 AM
Dont worry i still havent figured it out either.

NanoBison
Jun 19, 2006, 5:00 AM
FM, I also use the 'Hotlink for forums (2)' selection, it's fourth from the bottom on the gigantic page of links after you post your image at imageshack...otherwise you get files that end in .jpg or .gif but are really.tk.jpg or .tk.gif or some screwed up thing...

But make sure you only put the file address between a pair of '' tags, otherise it's going to try to load an actual webpage.

(For all code below I replaced [ and ] with { and } otherwise it gets messed up...so change them back { and } to [ and ] when you do this...)
For example, the 'Hotlink for forums (2)' selection give me the following below :

{url=http://imageshack.us}{img=http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/2515/moorheadhomedepot3gu.gif}{/url}

You need to remove the {url=http://imageshack.us}{img= in the front of the selection and the '}{/url}' at the end so all you are left with is :

'http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/2515/moorheadhomedepot3gu.gif'

Now put that between two IMG tags like so :

{IMG}http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/2515/moorheadhomedepot3gu.gif{/IMG}

and it should work...image away ....

F-Misthebest
Jun 19, 2006, 5:10 AM
I didn't get it.

NanoBison
Jun 19, 2006, 5:11 AM
I modified the instructions up above...

F-Misthebest
Jun 19, 2006, 5:12 AM
Well, did you resize it.

NanoBison
Jun 19, 2006, 5:14 AM
Resize what? The text? Yes, and the instructions...

F-Misthebest
Jun 19, 2006, 5:14 AM
No the image.

NanoBison
Jun 19, 2006, 5:17 AM
Put that image file address between two {img}{/img} tags and it works...

like this (replace curly with straight brackets...) :

{IMG}http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/5461/westacres2if.jpg{/IMG}

See :

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/5461/westacres2if.jpg

F-Misthebest
Jun 19, 2006, 5:17 AM
Oh, okay.

F-Misthebest
Jun 19, 2006, 5:25 AM
I just can't get it. It's okay. You can just be the one to put pictures on here. Oh well. I shouldn't get to worked up about it.

NanoBison
Jun 19, 2006, 6:25 AM
Anyways, to get back to my original post, I think they should develop that area into a Premium Outlets like they have in Albertville. Below is what I was thinking...(keep in mind Home Depot and Menards are going somewhere else near 34th St....)

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/1593/moorheadpremiumoutlets3ak.gif

If we could get something like that, it would really draw shoppers from all over the place and they wouldn't have to goto the cities anymore for something like this....

F-Misthebest
Jun 19, 2006, 4:27 PM
I've been to the Albertville Outlets and it is truly amazing. I'm not the biggest fan of shopping but, the girl I came with was like in heaven. She loves to shop and really wanted something like this in the F-M area. She lives in Grand Forks but doesn't want to. She says compared to Fargo, the shopping, dining, and overall appearence can't really compare. But anyways I think if we get an Albertville thing in Moorhead and the "District at the Lakes" in Fargo, the whole metropolitan area will get a big boost in population and the tourism population. I agree with Nano saying that it would draw people from all over place to come shop in the area.

F-Misthebest
Jun 20, 2006, 2:15 AM
I tried the picture again and it didn't work. This is just the edited space from the pictue.

F-Misthebest
Jun 20, 2006, 2:47 AM
If you go to southpointepavillions.com ( its a wonderful mall in Lincoln, Nebraska ) and see what else should go in Fargo. I think that Fargo is ready for a mall like this!:D

Who called it?!!!!! Who said that there should be an outdoor, upscale, mall in in south Fargo. Now, what does this Las Vegas guy want to do, build an upscale outdoor mall in southwest Fargo. Not to be cocky but I am really amazed that I thought there should be one and now (probably) there will be one!!!!!!!!:P

NanoBison
Jun 20, 2006, 3:00 AM
That old address doesn't work FM, here's the correct one

SouthPointe Pavilion (http://www.southpointeshopping.com/)

F-Misthebest
Jun 20, 2006, 3:02 AM
Yah I know. On page two or three I correct myself by giving the correct address: www.southpointeshopping.com .

F-Misthebest
Jun 20, 2006, 3:04 AM
What happened to all the pictures?

NanoBison
Jun 20, 2006, 3:07 AM
It would be cool if this is what the Las Vegas Developers plan is going to resemble...

SouthPointe Pavillions, as pointed out by FMisthebest....

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/848/southpointepavilion5vb.gif

NanoBison
Jun 20, 2006, 3:08 AM
What happened to all the pictures?

I don't quite follow you.... :shrug:

I also checked something out, if you use the entire text in the box from imageshack in "Hotlink for forums (1)", and just paste it into your post, it should work for you. Not sure why your images aren't showing up though (you're avatar, etc...)

F-Misthebest
Jun 20, 2006, 3:09 AM
Yah, except bigger. I mean this guy wants it like 280 acres!

F-Misthebest
Jun 20, 2006, 3:10 AM
I don't quite follow you.... :shrug:

On my screen all the avatars, the google earth pics, and the pictures from the rest of the thread are missing.:shrug:

NanoBison
Jun 20, 2006, 3:13 AM
I updated my response above...

F-Misthebest
Jun 20, 2006, 3:14 AM
It's really weird.

F-Misthebest
Jun 20, 2006, 3:18 AM
http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/2723/proposedsiteformall4aw.jpg
Did this work? Nano, did the picture show up? Yahoo 400!