SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg - Of Interest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143065)

rrskylar Jun 19, 2011 5:51 AM

Are certain groups exempt from City of Winnipeg noise by-laws, 12:50 AM and the music at the Forks is blasting up the river into NK, yet concerts at the stadium must end at 11:00 PM sharp!

1ajs Jun 19, 2011 7:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrskylar (Post 5320778)
Are certain groups exempt from City of Winnipeg noise by-laws, 12:50 AM and the music at the Forks is blasting up the river into NK, yet concerts at the stadium must end at 11:00 PM sharp!

what concert?

h0twired Jun 19, 2011 1:18 PM

Quote:

Agreed. I was surprised to hear lour music blasting from the Forks well after midnight.

I am in Frasers Grove and could hear it almost perfectly.

I guess city by-laws don't apply to certain entitled ethnic groups.

SKYSTHELIMIT Jun 19, 2011 2:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ajs (Post 5320831)
what concert?

Aboriginal Days

vid Jun 19, 2011 4:09 PM

When we have our Blues Fest, you can barely hear it downtown, less than 2000 feet away, but you can hear it so clearly in the north end, two miles away, that people sit on their decks to listen to it. :shrug:

Sound is weird like that.

There may be a sound exception for the Forks. My city has one for the area around the airport, you could run an outdoor concert 24/7 in that zone. I think it also applies to rail yards. Not the best places for a concert though.

Bdog Jun 19, 2011 4:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h0twired (Post 5320893)
Agreed. I was surprised to hear lour music blasting from the Forks well after midnight.

Which ethnic group might that be? Because, interestingly enough, jazzfest concerts have been going on past midnight the past few nights too...:rolleyes:

North of 49 Jun 19, 2011 11:57 PM

maybe the wind direction has something to do with sound being carried from a certain direction.....

hexrae Jun 20, 2011 6:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h0twired (Post 5320893)

Grow up. :order:

hexrae Jun 20, 2011 7:03 PM

Quote:

I only did a quick check, but I found a Neighborhood Liveability bylaw. Would this be the applicable one?

Under exemptions, there is the following:
Quote:

(h) an activity for which a permit has been issued by the designated employee under this Part.
So perhaps a permit was issued? I'd check but permits can only be searched by address, and I have no idea which to use.

Bdog Jun 26, 2011 6:30 AM

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

City hall needs overhaul
Expanding council is a really dumb idea
By: Mike O'Shaughnessy

Posted: 06/25/2011 1:00 AM

Is there any good reason to maintain community committees?

Community committees were a good idea to smooth the transition from 13 disparate community governments to one centralized government. However, the first unified City of Winnipeg election was 40 years ago this fall and one had to be at least 21 years old to vote in those days. This means those of us who voted for or against any of those 13 governments are in our 60s -- at least. How many of today's young people can define the boundaries between Elmwood and East Kildonan or between East Kildonan and North Kildonan? How many know where St. James leaves off and Assiniboia begins? How many know what a community committee is? How many care?

For those who never knew, or have forgotten, community committees are groups of three councillors from bordering wards who get together monthly to hear zoning and related variance applications, to hand out grants and hear from residents who have gripes or ideas about community-wide concerns. The latter almost never happens.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...med=y#comments

1ajs Jun 26, 2011 10:52 PM

anyone been out to old market squsare for any of the events going on? like right now is meme festival not packed but a buz going atm

SKYSTHELIMIT Jun 26, 2011 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ajs (Post 5329339)
anyone been out to old market squsare for any of the events going on? like right now is meme festival not packed but a buz going atm

Was down there around 9 last night checking things out. One of our festival trucks is there right now the one next to the stage with the rooftop patio. Stopped in to see how well things were going and of course listen to the music. Good crowd no problems just everyon there to dance or take it in.

1ajs Jun 26, 2011 11:57 PM

cool never seen one of those trailers befor

and the sun is now out

i would upload pics but i've lost my card reader

1ajs Jun 27, 2011 2:06 AM

pritty cool vibe going here this eve lots familys out with the kids and parents out dancing

Joshy Jul 14, 2011 2:21 AM

Edmonton Puts Winnipeg Mosquito Numbers To Shame

Edmonton puts Winnipeg mosquito numbers to shame
9:50am
Click here to email Brenton Driedger
7/13/2011

You might be fed up with the mosquitoes this summer, but at least they're not as bad as in Winnipeg.Think again. Edmonton's trap count is at 30. At that level, Winnipeg usually starts city-wide fogging. But right now, Winnipeg's trap count is only at six and holding. Edmonton's is expected to climb this week, and the city is only talking about doing "spot spraying" at some festivals....not carpet bombing the city to kill the pests. Some argue that matching trap counts from different cities is like comparing apples and oranges, but both cities do use the same light traps. Even though the mosquitoes seem really bad in Edmonton this summer, at least we're still better off than Winnipeg, right?

Wrong. Edmonton's trap count is at 30. At that level, Winnipeg usually starts city-wide fogging. But right now, Winnipeg's trap count is only at six and holding. Edmonton's is expected to climb this week, and the city is only talking about doing "spot spraying" at some festivals, not carpet bombing the city to kill the pests.
Some argue that matching trap counts from different cities is like comparing apples and oranges, but both cities do use the same light traps. (bd,mb)

More: http://www.inews880.com/Channels/Reg...spx?ID=1456548

Riverman Jul 14, 2011 3:13 AM

We do have it pretty darn good right now. I've been outside a lot building the mother of all garden sheds and all I need is a light squirt of Off in the evening.

vid Jul 15, 2011 2:07 AM

Mosquiwhats?

1ajs Jul 15, 2011 3:51 PM

your in black fly country there vid so you would not even notice them

Joshy Jul 16, 2011 2:57 AM

Edmonton now mosquito capital of Canada

Global News: Friday, July 15, 2011 7:26 PM

Our city has another national title under its belt, but this one isn't one most will be happy to have.

Edmonton is now the mosquito capital of Canada, taking the title from Winnipeg.

The Manitoba city has held the title for the last several years.

Edmonton's mosquito count is now significantly above the Winnipeg count.

This week, there were more than 560 mosquitoes per trap in Edmonton, nearly 19 times more than last week, when there were 30.

Winnipeg has just six per trap.

Edmonton officials say a third round of mosquito control programs is underway, but numbers are still expected to rise.

City officials are considering spot spraying festival sites.

The city's control budget has been cut by almost $200,000 dollars this year.

Source:http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/Edmo...545/story.html

Winnipegger Jul 19, 2011 3:31 AM

I found this nifty little piece of information that I have not seen posted on the boards around here. It's a report from the CIBC regarding Canada's top preforming economies according to city. It looks like our fair city made third place, just behind Toronto and Kitchener. Something to brag about?

Quote:

A CIBC economic report has pinned Toronto as the top performing Canadian metropolitan economy as its labour and housing markets remain vibrant and a diversity of sectors gain momentum.
Quote:

Kitchener, Ont. ranked second, followed by Winnipeg, Regina and Montreal. Hamilton is tenth on the list.
Link to Article