SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Homicide stats in Canadian Cities (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143615)

Changing City Dec 24, 2023 3:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeej (Post 10108868)
Quick FYI - Montreal's numbers are for the island (city and on-island suburbs serviced by SPVM), population 2.1M, so the rate is closer to 1.6 per 100k.

Even better then! Thanks.

Acajack Dec 27, 2023 3:30 PM

The 33 murders for Montreal also includes 7 deaths in a fire in an airbnb in Old Montreal last winter that have been categorized as homicides.

While that's of course horrible too, it means that the number of individual homicide incidents being committed "out there" is even lower (26 or 27 depending).

YOWetal Dec 27, 2023 3:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 10109776)
The 33 murders for Montreal also includes 7 deaths in a fire in an airbnb in Old Montreal last winter that have been categorized as homicides.

While that's of course horrible too, it means that the number of individual homicide incidents being committed "out there" is even lower (26 or 27 depending).

Dramatic change. For sure the owner should be charged but homicide or even manslaughter seems ridiculous. Regardless you are safer in Montreal than the headline number would appear.

Acajack Dec 27, 2023 4:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOWetal (Post 10109791)
Dramatic change. For sure the owner should be charged but homicide or even manslaughter seems ridiculous. Regardless you are safer in Montreal than the headline number would appear.

Even around 33 murders "on the streets" over an entire year for a city of 2 million people is extremely safe by North American standards.

ToxiK Dec 27, 2023 8:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 10109794)
Even around 33 murders "on the streets" over an entire year for a city of 2 million people is extremely safe by North American standards.

And there is a gang war going on now.

Marty_Mcfly Dec 28, 2023 1:50 AM

I think St. John's will finish the year with either 3 or 4 homicides for the year. That's right around average.

BlackDog204 Dec 28, 2023 2:47 AM

How many murders have happened in Winnipeg this year? Have we once again ecliped the 40 homicide make, as in the last few years?

40 murders in the city of Winnipeg (per-capita) is the equivalent of approx. 150 murders in the City of Toronto.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luisito (Post 10108370)
Winnipeg is currently at 41 homicides. Not as bad as last year but still disgraceful. It was quiet earlier on in the year but recently there have been some rather disturbing/sad incidents. From the shooting incident where four people died to the stabbing last week of a 14 year old girl in downtown Winnipeg in the middle of the day. More recently A Ukranian refugee was stabbed to death

Winnipeg Homicides:

42 this year.
53 in 2022
46 in 2021
41 in 2020
44 in 2019

Marty_Mcfly Dec 28, 2023 4:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 10110019)
I think St. John's will finish the year with either 3 or 4 homicides for the year. That's right around average.

Maybe I spoke too soon. Police investigating a sudden death at a west end home yesterday evening.

kja384 Dec 29, 2023 11:53 AM

Majority of 26 homicides in Vancouver and Surrey this year remain unsolved

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...2023-1.7064389

Few homicides in Richmond as well. Also have the guy that was killed in a Burnaby home invasion, and the guy that was randomly shot in the face in Fleetwood. Only like 4 gang related homicides, seems like a slow year.

Saw some people talking about demographics and homicide, here's a very interesting piece from Statscan: https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...101%2C20220101

You can filter for gender & province. Check out Black men in Ontario, it's pretty insane haha. I guess there is a link between immigration and crime.

Tvisforme Dec 29, 2023 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kja384 (Post 10110630)
....Check out Black men in Ontario, it's pretty insane haha. I guess there is a link between immigration and crime.

1) Black is not a gender;
2) "Haha"? You find it funny?
3) "Black men in Ontario" must be immigrants?

Did you mean to write this in this way, or did you hit "Submit" before you proofread it?

Dartguard Dec 29, 2023 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kja384 (Post 10110630)
Majority of 26 homicides in Vancouver and Surrey this year remain unsolved

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...2023-1.7064389

Few homicides in Richmond as well. Also have the guy that was killed in a Burnaby home invasion, and the guy that was randomly shot in the face in Fleetwood. Only like 4 gang related homicides, seems like a slow year.

Saw some people talking about demographics and homicide, here's a very interesting piece from Statscan: https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...101%2C20220101

You can filter for gender & province. Check out Black men in Ontario, it's pretty insane haha. I guess there is a link between immigration and crime.

Wow that discrepancy really jumps out of that Data. I looked at the Toronto Police services top 25 most wanted and sadly the same stats jump out of that Data too. Where are the Dad's?

kja384 Dec 30, 2023 4:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tvisforme (Post 10110903)
1) Black is not a gender;
2) "Haha"? You find it funny?
3) "Black men in Ontario" must be immigrants?

Did you mean to write this in this way, or did you hit "Submit" before you proofread it?

Black is a race, not a gender. You can filter for gender to select Male or Female. Not sure what you're getting at?
Maybe I have a strange sense of humor but yeah
I believe 98% of Black Canadians are either first-gen (foreign born) or second-gen (born to foreign-born parents.) So considering there was basically zero Black Canadians 50 years ago I would say that there is a link between immigration from African & Caribbean countries and an increase in crime rates.

If you wanted to see something even crazier check out Vancouver & Surrey's racial arrest data. Would I be wrong in saying immigration from Latin America, the Middle East, as well as Africa & the Caribbean is why Canada's crime rate seems to be increasing?

https://bchumanrights.ca/wp-content/...statistics.pdf Page 43 & 97

zahav Dec 30, 2023 7:00 PM

In America at least, there is wide acceptance of the fact that black men are over represented in prisons, a lot of it is systemic societal issues that put them there, not that they are criminally inclined, and I don't like the insinuation that black men/immigrants bring crime (I also

As for the I believe 98% of Black Canadians are either first-gen (foreign born) or second-gen (born to foreign-born parents.) So considering there was basically zero Black Canadians 50 years ago I would say that there is a link between immigration from African & Caribbean countries and an increase in crime rates. from kja384, that seems too high, Canada has many communities of black folks who date back a long time (in NS, QC, ON, AB even). So while yes there has been increases in immigration from Africa, the descendants of many of the Caribbean immigrants are already starting to be 2nd and 3rd generation already (I knew some when I was growing up, children of immigrants, and now they have kids, so would not count. 98% just seems way too high for our black population to be immigrants. And even if it was true, I don't like the humour of saying black men seem more crime-prone, posting the stats is one thing but making poorly veiled judgements on a group is gross

Tvisforme Dec 30, 2023 7:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kja384 (Post 10111183)
....Maybe I have a strange sense of humor but yeah...

That's unfortunate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kja384 (Post 10111183)
....Would I be wrong in saying immigration from Latin America, the Middle East, as well as Africa & the Caribbean is why Canada's crime rate seems to be increasing?

https://bchumanrights.ca/wp-content/...statistics.pdf Page 43 & 97

You're using statistics from a report that concludes, among other things:
Quote:

...we can't ignore that conscious, implicit and systemic biases within policing - and the broader justice system - contribute significantly to the over-representation of Black, Indigenous and other racial minority people in police statistics.

kja384 Dec 31, 2023 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 10111256)
In America at least, there is wide acceptance of the fact that black men are over represented in prisons, a lot of it is systemic societal issues that put them there, not that they are criminally inclined, and I don't like the insinuation that black men/immigrants bring crime (I also

As for the I believe 98% of Black Canadians are either first-gen (foreign born) or second-gen (born to foreign-born parents.) So considering there was basically zero Black Canadians 50 years ago I would say that there is a link between immigration from African & Caribbean countries and an increase in crime rates. from kja384, that seems too high, Canada has many communities of black folks who date back a long time (in NS, QC, ON, AB even). So while yes there has been increases in immigration from Africa, the descendants of many of the Caribbean immigrants are already starting to be 2nd and 3rd generation already (I knew some when I was growing up, children of immigrants, and now they have kids, so would not count. 98% just seems way too high for our black population to be immigrants. And even if it was true, I don't like the humour of saying black men seem more crime-prone, posting the stats is one thing but making poorly veiled judgements on a group is gross

I do admit I sort of guessed on the 98% number but I knew it was very high. Checked and according to the 2016 census, 92% of Black Canadians are either foreign born(56%), or born to foreign born parents(35%), while only 9% are born to Canadian born parents (3rd+ gen).

Maybe I sound like a n@zi but don't worry I'm not. I'm well away the vast majority of any group is never going to commit a crime and it must suck to be judged by the actions of others.

But if anyone wants to talk about crime & demographics, then yea the conversation is going to get uncomfortable. In America I agree you can look at past injustices, same goes with Indigenous people. But once again, if you are claiming that Black Canadians are not significantly over-represented in crime in virtually every Canadian city, then you would be mistaken.

JuelzJones Jan 1, 2024 5:14 PM

Toronto ended with 73

ssiguy Jan 1, 2024 9:37 PM

Here are some stats from the METROPOLTIAN areas of BC & SWO. Individual cities is kind of useless due to arbitrary boundaries.

Windsor...4, London...6, Hamilton...14, Vancouver...40, Victoria...2, Abbotsford...5, Chilliwack...4, Kelowna...4, Prince George...7.

Not sure what is and isn't part of the CMA for all other cities especially those including First Nations Reserves so feel free to add.

JuelzJones Jan 8, 2024 4:11 AM

3 for Toronto

kwoldtimer Jan 8, 2024 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuelzJones (Post 10115824)
3 for Toronto

Including one that was apparently a murder-suicide. The victim in that case, who suffered trauma as well, was male. The perp/suicide was female. Unusual.

Loco101 Jan 9, 2024 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kja384 (Post 10111350)
I do admit I sort of guessed on the 98% number but I knew it was very high. Checked and according to the 2016 census, 92% of Black Canadians are either foreign born(56%), or born to foreign born parents(35%), while only 9% are born to Canadian born parents (3rd+ gen).

Maybe I sound like a n@zi but don't worry I'm not. I'm well away the vast majority of any group is never going to commit a crime and it must suck to be judged by the actions of others.

But if anyone wants to talk about crime & demographics, then yea the conversation is going to get uncomfortable. In America I agree you can look at past injustices, same goes with Indigenous people. But once again, if you are claiming that Black Canadians are not significantly over-represented in crime in virtually every Canadian city, then you would be mistaken.

I wonder how many of the murders by black men are committed by those of Jamaican heritage who are involved in organized crime. Even in Timmins we get Jamaican-Canadian black men who come up here and shoot at people who haven't paid their drug debt or whatever. They always seem to get arrested as they aren't discreet like the biker gangs would be.

As for the black population in Timmins, most are professionals and better educated than the average person in Timmins and I've never heard of any black person here being like the ones you read about in the GTA concerning violent crimes.