SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina Bypass Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210105)

North_Regina_Boy Mar 7, 2014 5:54 PM

Regina Bypass Thread

Hello All,

Instead of filling the Regina Construction Page with information / pictures of the WRB that I have been adding. I figured I would add this thread to provide a place to talk about the Bypasses under construction / being planned around Regina.

FICTIONAL MIXED WITH CONFIRMED

http://i.imgur.com/XcVFDUE.jpg

sask1982 Mar 7, 2014 8:09 PM

Great to see the thread started. The south/SE portion has to be included too. Sounds like there could actually be a development on it sooner than later:

Via CTV Wayne Mantyka's Twitter:
https://twitter.com/WayneMantyka/sta...93353752637440

Rottie Mar 7, 2014 8:19 PM

That looks fantastic. Use your powers to make it happen!

What is the road and interchange just north of the #1? Was that always part of the plans?
Would any of this work take precedent over the South East bypass?

North_Regina_Boy Mar 7, 2014 8:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rottie (Post 6483792)

What is the road and interchange just north of the #1? Was that always part of the plans?

Rottie, I plan to do the whole bypass (NE section as well) So I will post all my fly-throughs and pictures here.

Also there are some hypothetical interchanges (such as the one you mention) that I will be putting in. Also I think these two will be concurrent work.

brithgob Mar 7, 2014 8:30 PM

I like your ideas North Regina Boy. But can we keep a clear delineation between what's real and what's just fantasy?

Rottie Mar 7, 2014 8:31 PM

Excellent. Look forward to seeing the whole ring around the city and hopefully more of this gets underway sooner rather than later. Great to hear about an announcement on the South east bypass as posted above. A massive amount of roadwork in the years ahead.

North_Regina_Boy Mar 7, 2014 8:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brithgob (Post 6483812)
I like your ideas North Regina Boy. But can we keep a clear delineation between what's real and what's just fantasy?

Yes I will do both a real and fictional model. These will be stated at the top of each drawing going forward. Also I will update the cover picture with that disclaimer.

sask1982 Mar 7, 2014 9:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rottie (Post 6483792)

The west bypass from #1 to Dewdney is under construction as we speak - the interchange at #1 has been open for months now.

sask1982 Mar 7, 2014 9:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brithgob (Post 6483812)

This is a great point.

North_Regina_Boy Mar 7, 2014 9:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sask1982 (Post 6483945)
The west bypass from #1 to Dewdney is under construction as we speak - the interchange at #1 has been open for months now.

To clarify only phase 1 is open, the large high speed ramps are not built yet.

North_Regina_Boy Mar 7, 2014 10:33 PM

DOCUMENTED ROUTING OF REGINA WEST BYPASS SHOWN IN PERSPECTIVE, ALSO OVERALL OF COOPERTOWN DEVELOPMENT

http://i.imgur.com/NSk7W8m.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nvvPeIj.jpg

Udon'tknow Mar 8, 2014 1:31 AM

http://www.leaderpost.com/news/Massi...818/story.html

credit LP

Migs Mar 8, 2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Udon'tknow (Post 6484338)

Wow, that is awesome news! :tup:

micheal Mar 8, 2014 1:32 PM

this really sounds like it's gonna happen soon. Hopefully they put lights on it. awesome news though.

thefourthtower Mar 8, 2014 5:46 PM

http://regina.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=303096
White city over pass

Treesplease Mar 8, 2014 6:12 PM

Re: White City - I agree completely. All you have to do is take a drive out on East #1 and see the queue of people trying to get on #1 from White City - it will give you white knuckles. It is a big safety concern and they need at bare minimum the Pilot Butte overpass and likely the overpass on the far east White City either at the same time or one year later at most.

Treesplease Mar 8, 2014 6:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micheal (Post 6484719)
this really sounds like it's gonna happen soon. Hopefully they put lights on it. awesome news though.

By lights I assume you mean street / visibility type lights as opposed to traffic control lights?

North_Regina_Boy Mar 10, 2014 5:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treesplease (Post 6484970)
By lights I assume you mean street / visibility type lights as opposed to traffic control lights?

Yes I think that's what he means. And I could see some at the main interchanges and through the White City area. However for most of it I don't think it'll be lit.

North_Regina_Boy Mar 10, 2014 9:41 PM

Here is the entire Regina section of the bypass. Regina East to Balgonie to come soon.

CONFIRMED ROUTING AND INTERCHANGES AS OF MARCH 10, 2014

http://i.imgur.com/A7f2qi9.jpg

HomeInMyShoes Mar 11, 2014 4:14 PM

^That is awesome. Nice work.

Robag Mar 17, 2014 10:26 PM

Does anyone have an idea of what an approximate cost for an interchange would be? I know the one at Dewdney and the GTH one would be significantly more because of the intricate nature of that one, but what about the ones that would cross Arcola Avenue, and the highway 6 crossing? I'm just curious more than anything.

Just a side note, I was driving to Balgonie last night around 8:15 and as I passed the White City exit closest to the Esso station, there were about a dozen cars lined up trying to get across the highway to go west. These overpasses can't be built quick enough for these communities to our east.

North_Regina_Boy Mar 17, 2014 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robag (Post 6498192)
Does anyone have an idea of what an approximate cost for an interchange would be? I know the one at Dewdney and the GTH one would be significantly more because of the intricate nature of that one, but what about the ones that would cross Arcola Avenue, and the highway 6 crossing? I'm just curious more than anything.

Just a side note, I was driving to Balgonie last night around 8:15 and as I passed the White City exit closest to the Esso station, there were about a dozen cars lined up trying to get across the highway to go west. These overpasses can't be buily quick enough for these communities to our east.

Based on recent construction costs, anywhere between $30-35M per interchange. The one at Dewdney and the Hub road will be likely around $60-65M to complete. The large ones are anywhere from $120-150M (Sometimes $200M) each depending on the amount of flyovers and required earthworks

Robag Mar 18, 2014 3:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy (Post 6498232)
Based on recent construction costs, anywhere between $30-35M per interchange. The one at Dewdney and the Hub road will be likely around $60-65M to complete. The large ones are anywhere from $120-150M (Sometimes $200M) each depending on the amount of flyovers and required earthworks

Thanks, I had that $30-$35M in my mind as well, but wasn't sure.

TannerF Mar 20, 2014 5:01 PM

I received a letter this week from the Ministry of Highways saying that work is now under way to acquire land for the Regina bypass, but with over 100 land owners they expect it to take some time.

North_Regina_Boy Mar 20, 2014 9:22 PM

I would assume it would take a while yes. But some of the land has already been purchased. (Hwy 1 to Hwy 33) I believe.

Treesplease Apr 7, 2014 4:32 PM

Final Bypass Route choosen

http://gov.sk.ca/news?newsId=777db1b...d-0f14bc46c54e

bomberjet Apr 7, 2014 4:41 PM

The route has a couple grade crossings IIRC? Not that's it's a terrible thing.

North_Regina_Boy Apr 7, 2014 4:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomberjet (Post 6529146)
The route has a couple grade crossings IIRC? Not that's it's a terrible thing.

Yes there will be ( for a while at least ) grade crossing one west and one east of highway 6. And the one at Hill Ave will be as well. However, I could see the Hill Ave one upgraded sooner, or be part of the completion of the road.

9th and armour are also grade intersections (9th will likely have lights :( Sad) I hope that changes in the final design.

jw6969 Apr 7, 2014 4:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treesplease (Post 6529134)

I sure hope they are planning the north east portion for the future. That area of the city is going to grow to.

sask1982 Apr 7, 2014 5:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jw6969 (Post 6529176)
I sure hope they are planning the north east portion for the future. That area of the city is going to grow to.

In what way? All the planned residential is N, NW, W, SW, SE, and E. Having said that, yes, all truck traffic going to Saskatoon (I'm not sure how much there is compared to the #1 traffic going east & west) will still have to access the Ring Road via Highway 46 or Vic Ave.

I really can't see the NE portion happening for at least 15-20 years. Just my opinion.

North_Regina_Boy Apr 7, 2014 5:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sask1982 (Post 6529189)
In what way? All the planned residential is N, NW, W, SW, SE, and E. Having said that, yes, all truck traffic going to Saskatoon (I'm not sure how much there is compared to the #1 traffic going east & west) will still have to access the Ring Road via Highway 46 or Vic Ave.

I really can't see the NE portion happening for at least 15-20 years. Just my opinion.

I would think so as well. However I would bet truckers would take the Bypass South and around Regina rather than deal with the traffic on Vic East and the traffic lights to go North. However it is an easier transition from WB Vic to NB Ring Road. But that would be a limited amount of trucks IMO. Most are East West and from the GTH to North.

Although that said I think they should extend it up Tower from from Hwy 1 to Hwy 46. Just to grab those trucks. But hey it might not be perfect but this is a MASSIVE improvement over the existing so "be happy now"

SkydivePilot Apr 7, 2014 5:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sask1982 (Post 6529189)

15-20 years for the NE portion - I agree with that.

Treesplease Apr 7, 2014 6:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy (Post 6529165)
Yes there will be ( for a while at least ) grade crossing one west and one east of highway 6. And the one at Hill Ave will be as well. However, I could see the Hill Ave one upgraded sooner, or be part of the completion of the road.

9th and armour are also grade intersections (9th will likely have lights :( Sad) I hope that changes in the final design.

Hill ave intersection with West bypass is going to be at grade? Really? I thought I saw ramp shaped mounds of dirt out there? I must have been looking at mounds for another purpose or place.

North_Regina_Boy Apr 7, 2014 6:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treesplease (Post 6529321)
Hill ave intersection with West bypass is going to be at grade? Really? I thought I saw ramp shaped mounds of dirt out there? I must have been looking at mounds for another purpose or place.

Yes sadly it is just an at-grade inersection. I do believe those mounds were for the cut and fill of the 4-lane road that was being built this summer / last fall. I hope that one is built there. As that would be important to the safety to that portion of road.

thefourthtower Apr 8, 2014 12:51 AM

http://www.leaderpost.com/news/Provi...750/story.html

Province finalizes Regina Bypass route

BY TERRENCE MCEACHERN, THE LEADER-POST APRIL 7, 2014 6:22 PM

Bruce Evans, mayor of White City, stands just south of the intersection of Highway 1 and 48 in White City, SK, on Monday, April 7, 2014. There are plans to add an overpass to this intersection as part of the Regina Bypass.
Photograph by: TROY FLEECE , Regina Leader-Post
REGINA — The Saskatchewan government has settled on a route for the $1.2-billion Regina Bypass project.

Even so, Don McMorris, minister of highways and infrastructure, said on Monday it might take up to two years for construction to begin. The reason is that about 200 plots of land needs to be purchased from 130 owners to make way for the new twinned highway around most of the city.

The bypass would begin at Highway 11 northwest of the city, proceed south and then turn eastward five kilometres south of the Trans-Canada Highway. As it heads eastward, the route passes Albert Street/Highway 6 and then Arcola East before reconnecting to the Trans-Canada near Tower Road. Highway 6 will be twinned to where it meets the bypass.

Overpasses are to be built at Highway 46 at Balgonie, the Pilot Butte access road and Highway 48 at White City.

One concern that has been raised is where the roadway reconnects to the Trans-Canada Highway east of the city and the construction of a major intersection approximately 400 metres east of Tower Road.

Update

brithgob Apr 8, 2014 1:43 AM

I chuckled at the L-P's fact box which says Number of overpasses: 3. Obviously they are only counting Hwy 1 east and ignoring the entire rest of the project

sask1982 Apr 8, 2014 3:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brithgob (Post 6529810)
I chuckled at the L-P's fact box which says Number of overpasses: 3. Obviously they are only counting Hwy 1 east and ignoring the entire rest of the project

Agreed! I noticed that as well.

blacktrojan3921 Apr 13, 2014 9:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkydivePilot (Post 6529217)
15-20 years for the NE portion - I agree with that.

I'm not so sure; I don't see it happening at all. The NE portion of Regina is mainly industrial, and unless the company that owns the refinery is planning something that'll get more workers, I just don't see it happening.

From the looks of the bypass, is the Western portion of the bypass going along Pinkie Road?

Planner2008 Apr 13, 2014 10:40 AM

Can anyone tell me a link for the Regina Construction thread? I have up to page 501.

VANRIDERFAN Apr 13, 2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 (Post 6537357)
I'm not so sure; I don't see it happening at all. The NE portion of Regina is mainly industrial, and unless the company that owns the refinery is planning something that'll get more workers, I just don't see it happening.

From the looks of the bypass, is the Western portion of the bypass going along Pinkie Road?

An entire new road that is about a 1/4 mile to the west of Pinkie.

SkydivePilot Apr 13, 2014 3:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 (Post 6537357)

The fact that the NE is industrial/possesses a refinery has nothing to do with whether there will (will not) be a bypass constructed there; it has to do with ease of traffic flow. (It will also be the toughest stretch to construct as well though.)

Heck, by the time they decide to construct the NE portion, they may start it at Balgonie instead. (Since there will then be an interchange there anyway.)

North_Regina_Boy Apr 15, 2014 5:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkydivePilot (Post 6537479)
The fact that the NE is industrial/possesses a refinery has nothing to do with whether there will (will not) be a bypass constructed there; it has to do with ease of traffic flow. (It will also be the toughest stretch to construct as well though.)

Heck, by the time they decide to construct the NE portion, they may start it at Balgonie instead. (Since there will then be an interchange there anyway.)

I doubt they would start at Balgonie. This section will be completed in due course. I think people need to stop thinking about this project as the "Regional Bypass" and accept it for what it is the "Regina Bypass" As once Highway 1 is upgraded to a limited access highway between highway 10 and tower road, most if not all of the issues will go away.

SkydivePilot Apr 15, 2014 6:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy (Post 6540568)
I doubt they would start at Balgonie. This section will be completed in due course. I think people need to stop thinking about this project as the "Regional Bypass" and accept it for what it is the "Regina Bypass" As once Highway 1 is upgraded to a limited access highway between highway 10 and tower road, most if not all of the issues will go away.

True enough.

North_Regina_Boy May 7, 2014 6:42 PM

One step closer:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...pass-1.2632383

North_Regina_Boy May 8, 2014 10:03 PM

I am trying to figure out if this announcement has changed the scope of the bypass on the west side, North of Dewdney to Hwy 11. It was suppose to be mostly 2-Lane highway. But will this now be constructed as 4-lane? I guess we will know more when the RFP is released. But has anyone heard anything at this time?

Planner2008 May 9, 2014 9:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy (Post 6570399)
I am trying to figure out if this announcement has changed the scope of the bypass on the west side, North of Dewdney to Hwy 11. It was suppose to be mostly 2-Lane highway. But will this now be constructed as 4-lane? I guess we will know more when the RFP is released. But has anyone heard anything at this time?

As far as I knew it was always supposed to be 4 lane divided at its conclusion. But it was to begin as a 2 lane road. Hope that helps!

SkydivePilot May 9, 2014 3:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Planner2008 (Post 6571004)
As far as I knew it was always supposed to be 4 lane divided at its conclusion. But it was to begin as a 2 lane road. Hope that helps!

The Ring Road used to be a two-laner as well; shortly thereafter, it was four. (The Trans-Canada highway also started as such.)

North_Regina_Boy May 9, 2014 3:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Planner2008 (Post 6571004)

Yes I had read in the documents on the highways website that stated it was to begin as a 2-lane and be upgraded. However I personally hope that they forgo the initial stage and just go to the 4-lane divided. I also wonder how they will handle 9th North intersection. Lights would not be a good idea, maybe a small overpass with a loop (identical to Lewvan and #1)

Can't wait to see RFP and detailed design documents.

Stormer May 9, 2014 3:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy (Post 6571258)
Yes I had read in the documents on the highways website that stated it was to begin as a 2-lane and be upgraded. However I personally hope that they forgo the initial stage and just go to the 4-lane divided. I also wonder how they will handle 9th North intersection. Lights would not be a good idea, maybe a small overpass with a loop (identical to Lewvan and #1)

Can't wait to see RFP and detailed design documents.

IMO that would be a colossal waste of money. The north end traffic on the west side won't justify it for many years. There are many other highways in Sask that should be twinned before that stretch.

North_Regina_Boy May 9, 2014 3:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 6571277)
IMO that would be a colossal waste of money. The north end traffic on the west side won't justify it for many years. There are many other highways in Sask that should be twinned before that stretch.

If they don't pave all 4-lanes of the road I can see them doing the earthwork / grading for the next set of lanes. I think with the amount of trucks expected to be using this road that they would bump it up the list to be twinned. Especially when a lot of city traffic will be using this road as well.

I do agree however that more of highway 16 east of Saskatoon should be twinned, also Highway 7 west of Saskatoon to the border with Alberta (more so than highway 16)