SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Photography (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   East Africa Safari II - Kenya (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195383)

Okayyou Nov 19, 2011 7:41 PM

East Africa Safari II - Kenya

On to part two of the safari. See part I here. After spending a few weeks in Tanzania, I traveled north to Kenya to visit two more parks: Lake Nakuru and Samburu. Lake Nakuru is a small park in the middle of the city of Nakuru. It's really more a fenced reserve than a park. It is famous for it's flamingos, which can sometimes number in the hundreds of thousands. When I was there the lake level was low so there were only a few thousand. The park also functions as a reserve for the black rhino. If you want to see Rhinos in the semi-wild this is the place to do so.

Samburu is further north in Kenya and as you see from the photos is much drier. The animals here were much skinnier than in Tanzania. The Samburu river runs through the park and acts as an animal magnet. I spent an afternoon visiting the nomadic Samburu tribe that lives in the park. Very cool experience. A week after I left the Ewaso Nyiro river flooded and utterly destroyed the lodge where I stayed along with bridge infrastructure and an elephant research camp. People were airlifted to safety. I heard the tribe left safely, there were reports of several animals that perished. See a BBC report here

Happy to answer any questions, enjoy!

Predator:

Meet Prey:

The little antelope (called a dik-dik) got away.

That's it for Kenya, next up Rwanda.

ColDayMan Nov 19, 2011 11:16 PM

I hope you're getting paid for this. It feels like I should be paying to see these photos and I'm cheap!

Robert Pence Nov 20, 2011 2:19 AM

Stunning!

rockyi Nov 20, 2011 2:42 PM

Fantastic shots! Thanks!

Jimby Nov 20, 2011 4:08 PM

fabulous! great rhino shots.

Lipani Nov 23, 2011 10:19 PM

You can do it all, man! Excellent photos. :tup:

ue Nov 23, 2011 11:33 PM

Vibrant and gorgeous.

Biff Nov 24, 2011 1:56 PM

I would have to think you work for National Geographic. These photos are nothing short of brilliant. Amazing work my friend.

brickell Nov 28, 2011 8:05 PM

Pretty cool. Thanks again for sharing all of these with us.

Did you get the feeling that the tribes people were being authentic, or was it a little show that they put on for tourist? They certainly seem comfortable with the camera.

xzmattzx Nov 29, 2011 4:24 AM

Great pictures! Amazing quality!

Xander202 Dec 5, 2011 8:50 AM

Stunning! Amazing people too! The 5th shot down of an elephant is amazing!

Nineties Flava Dec 6, 2011 6:17 AM

Holy sh... cosign what Biff and ColdDayMan said. Wow. Truly incredible shots.

Scruffy Dec 7, 2011 10:07 PM

so ive gone back to casually lurking for the past couple years but this was spectacular! Best nature pics Ive ever seen on this site. damn, some of those shots were timed so perfectly!

nexsus Dec 23, 2011 8:06 AM

these photos show Kenya for what it truly is...Beautiful!

arkitekte Dec 23, 2011 8:31 AM

Wow, these are amazing. The photo with the giraffes and the zebras running are some of the best I've ever seen on here. Awesome photos. Kenya is beautiful.

Okayyou Dec 26, 2011 3:15 PM

Quote:

Did you get the feeling that the tribes people were being authentic, or was it a little show that they put on for tourist?
I'm pretty sure we paid something like $30/head to visit the tribe. They use that money to survive and are pretty welcoming to tourists. I don't think what I saw was really authentic, the songs and dances, etc. However just getting a brief glimpse into their way of life was eye opening.

Thanks for all the nice comments.