SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   PITTSBURGH | Development Rundown II (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196266)

Minivan Werner Feb 25, 2012 6:35 PM

Whatever happened to The Chelsea in Oakland? Dead?

Private Dick Feb 25, 2012 7:03 PM

Agree with what everyone said above. Very disappointing. The corridors leading into and out of Oakland (Forbes, 5th, Blvd) have been embarrassing as "entrances" to Pittsburgh's educational and cultural hub for a very long time.

Again, there was a blank slate opportunity to erect something with a fresh design, or at least something of quality and attractive appearance (like the East Liberty North or Lot 24 projects as BrianTH brought up)... but we get a 1990s-era assisted living complex instead.

I drove by the site yesterday for the first time and the first thing I noticed was that they were using that cheap, awful red and pinkish concrete block for the base of the building -- the kind they use on crappy suburban schools and municipal buildings and landscaping walls, instead of real brick. I hope that doesn't mean the top is going to get a similar shitty treatment with junk siding.

themaguffin Feb 25, 2012 7:03 PM

Ugh, sorry I asked about the portal design... looks like the typical suburban
90's apartment complex.

Private Dick Feb 25, 2012 7:09 PM

It actually reminds me of the Oak Hill apartments up the hill -- but those actually look better.

Evergrey Feb 25, 2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Private Dick (Post 5605091)
It actually reminds me of the Oak Hill apartments up the hill -- but those actually look better.

Those look kinda cool from a distance... like when you're viewing Oak Hill from the South Side Slopes... but up close those buildings look junky and short-term.

markson33 Feb 26, 2012 5:03 PM

The Chelsea is dead - at least as it was originally proposed. They might be able to revive it as a much smaller four story concept. They couldn't make the numbers and financing work.

I'm really disappointed that a pharmacy is being built on the lot across the street. That's a real travesty.

Johnland Feb 26, 2012 6:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markson33 (Post 5605895)
The Chelsea is dead - at least as it was originally proposed. They might be able to revive it as a much smaller four story concept. They couldn't make the numbers and financing work.

I'm really disappointed that a pharmacy is being built on the lot across the street. That's a real travesty.

Yes, that truly is the kiss of death. Nothing says suburban like a stand alone pharmacy. To think a few blocks away stand the Carnegie Institute, Mellon Institute, St Paul, St Nicholas, etc. Kind of a straight shot downward.

doo dah Feb 27, 2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markson33 (Post 5605895)

Oh wait, what? The old Giant Eagle is going to be torn down? Link please?

Evergrey Feb 27, 2012 5:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnland (Post 5605954)
Yes, that truly is the kiss of death. Nothing says suburban like a stand alone pharmacy. To think a few blocks away stand the Carnegie Institute, Mellon Institute, St Paul, St Nicholas, etc. Kind of a straight shot downward.

Amazing... that despite strategic proximity to all those assets and populations... the Centre-Craig intersection remains a little slice of hell.

Private Dick Feb 28, 2012 2:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evergrey (Post 5607121)
Amazing... that despite strategic proximity to all those assets and populations... the Centre-Craig intersection remains a little slice of hell.

Yeah, what's the deal with that?

I'm sure the Rite-Aid or Walgreens are well aware of all those assets and populations in the immediate area. Too bad. This neighborhood begs for revitalization.

Maybe the proposed renovation of Schenley HS to residential (which kinda sucks because the building is a masterpiece) will help give the area the kick in pants it needs.

Austinlee Feb 28, 2012 3:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evergrey (Post 5607121)

My cousin who is a systems engineer for BNY Mellon and went to Pitt for his batchelor and master degrees lived in a victorian house on the corner of N. Dithridge and Centre. I have some of the best memories of my life in that "little slice of hell"! He was there for like 8 years and threw epic house parties. So epic, they had a very popular website for many years oaklandpartyhouse.com It was a bit of a Pitt legend!
His old house was one of the ones slated for demolition for the Chelsea. But yeah, i cant disagree with the sentiment that single level structures in the most dense neighborhood of the city does suck.

themaguffin Feb 28, 2012 3:53 PM

I know this isn't development in the sense of what we usually discuss, but this is a BIG deal:

4-star film studio coming to Strip District

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12059/1213070-53-0.stm

Quote:

Four movie-making institutions have banded together in Pittsburgh to create what they believe is the best production site outside of Hollywood.

If a producer wants to find comparable capabilities, "it would have to be in LA. Not even New York has what we're talking about today," said Chris Breakwell, chief executive officer of The 31st Street Studios in the Strip District.

markson33 Feb 28, 2012 4:59 PM

That is big news. Lets keep our fingers crossed that it could be the start of a new industry in Pittsburgh.

No link about the pharmacy on Centre avenue (guess its not news worthy).

chiaroscuro Feb 28, 2012 6:32 PM

^^^
Additionally...

http://popcitymedia.com/innovationne...fex022212.aspx

Quote:

zoetifex sees a major animation studio in Pittsburgh's future. HIRING

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 22, 2012

Pittsburgh has established itself as a great location for film production. Could a major animation studio be next?

zoetifex (zo-et-effects) has sealed several major project deals and is gearing up to hire and establish an animation studio here, staffed with world-class artists and animators, says Michael Kadrie, founder and president of the animation studio. (For the record, the name is a blend of the Greek word for "life" as in animation and effects.)

"I'm a hometown boy," says Kadrie, who is currently running the company virtually from his home office. Kadrie graduated from Baldwin High School and Duquesne University where he studied multimedia technologies. "We're not talking about a little boutique studio here.

"Look at all the entertainment tech companies we have. We think we can match the quality of Pixar and Dreamworks and do it right here, doing the same quality of work for a fraction of the cost."

zoetifex recently secured the rights for several major projects going forward. The biggest coup is an adult-themed animated movie based on "Operation Mindcrime," a rock opera recorded by Seattle-based progressive metal band Queensrÿche in 1988.

It's a story of revolution and mind control, which has resonance today. It also has a phenomenal cult following, says Kadrie. The rights include permission to record the "Mindcrime" soundtrack with several popular rocks bands; discussions are underway with Foo Fighters, Evanescence, Linkin Park and Black Label Society.

The movie will include an accompanying video game package, he adds.

In addition, zoetifex has gotten a green light to create two animated projects for children: "Icarus Swinebuckle," based on the award-winning book by Michael Garland, and "Christmas Magic." These projects will provide a perfect opportunity to show potential investors what we can do, Kadrie says.

zoetifex is building a team from the ground up to begin work. Kadrie is in negotations with an executive producer from Pixar. Another potential hire, a former writer/director for Disney, is being finalized. Kadrie says 20 to 30 have committed to relocate here. He hopes to secure a studio space and hire more than 100 people for all the projects.

"I've got the pipeline for talent, the right ideas and now I've got the right projects," he says. "All we need now is investors. I'd like to see people from Pittsburgh profit from this."

Writer: Debra Smit
Source: Michael Kadrie, zoetifex

Wiz Khalifa Feb 28, 2012 7:14 PM

That Portal building is indeed a crap design, what a shame.

However, in more uplifting news:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12059/1213042-53.stm

This is an interesting quote:

Quote:

However, PNC does have contractor Cost Construction removing the facades of the two buildings at the corner of Forbes Avenue and Wood Street for potential future use.
Hmmm... I wonder what they are planning to do with those?

Jonboy1983 Feb 28, 2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiz Khalifa (Post 5608723)
That Portal building is indeed a crap design, what a shame.

However, in more uplifting news:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12059/1213042-53.stm

This is an interesting quote:

Hmmm... I wonder what they are planning to do with those?

I think PNC is going to use the materials recovered from the demolition efforts. This is going to be a green building and the idea is recycling as much building material as possible.

In any event, I am very excited about this massive filming effort coming to the Burgh! As that article stated, it does mean jobs -- Paramount along with CMU, let's see: students go to CMU, take up courses in computer technology and entertainment, and then go to work for Paramount On Location up in the Strip! Great way to keep some of our most talented younger people here in the Burgh! KUDOS!:D:D

glowrock Feb 29, 2012 1:44 PM

Agreed, the new film consortium announcement is very, very big news for the Pittsburgh area! :yes:

Looks like the barriers are all up for the demolition of the buildings on the PNC tower site, too.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Private Dick Feb 29, 2012 2:35 PM

Designs for Point State Park portal project

Check these out -- pretty cool

http://www.portaltothepoint.org/designs/

Wiz Khalifa Feb 29, 2012 3:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 (Post 5609014)
I think PNC is going to use the materials recovered from the demolition efforts. This is going to be a green building and the idea is recycling as much building material as possible.

Yes they are, but the way that the article mentioned this in an completely seperate section leads me to believe that they have something a bit more grand in mind for these particular facades.

Private Dick Feb 29, 2012 3:44 PM

^ Integrating them into the base somehow could be cool