SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   PITTSBURGH | Development Rundown II (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196266)

BrianTH Oct 25, 2014 5:29 AM

Movie studio coming to McKees Rocks:

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg....html?page=all

Wave Oct 25, 2014 7:38 AM

I actually think this is a great looking project. I agree that it *could* end up not working perfectly, but I don't think so. It appears that the new building will use high end materials and at least a nod to the traditional, historical design of the Granite Building and the contemporary portion at the top won't detract from the historic design and may add a sleek component to the project.

This has always been one of my favorite downtown architectural gems and I think a boutique hotel, if done correctly, would be the perfect compliment for that block next to the Duquesne Club and across from downtown's two signature historical churches. It will add further vibrancy to that corner of downtown. In fact, I am pretty excited about the various hotel rehab projects such as the Union Trust renovation, the Kimpton (Reed Smith bldg) renovation, the Drury renovation etc.

Lots of good re-uses happening and all will add energy to downtown.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucka (Post 6781601)
Thanks for posting the picture. They plan to demolish the three story building next door for the hotel.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-v...grendering.jpg

photoLith Oct 25, 2014 2:54 PM

I'm always against destroying history for anything but in this case the project almost looks like it could have been built in the 1920s and if done well could add more to the street scape then the 3 story tall 1920s or so building that's there now. Plus that block needs to become less ghetto.

Found5dollar Oct 25, 2014 3:39 PM

Photolith, I really do not appreciate your "that block needs to become less ghetto." statement. It is an unnecessary racist jab and completely undercuts your arguments not only in that comment, but in all comments you have and will make. a statement like "that block needs to become less ghetto." translates to "that block needs to become less black." and is exactly the kind to tone we do not need on this board. I don't know if you meant it that way or not, but seriously, think before you write stuff like that.

We live in a city with an incredibly difficult race history. Off handed comments like that just make it that much more difficult to reconcile what has happened, is happening, and will happen here. August Wilson would have some choice words for you if he was still around to read this.

P.S. The Duquesne Club is just a few doors down from here. That is probably the least "ghetto" establishment in this entire city.

Austinlee Oct 25, 2014 4:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Found5dollar (Post 6782537)
Photolith, I really do not appreciate your "that block needs to become less ghetto." statement. It is an unnecessary racist jab and completely undercuts your arguments not only in that comment, but in all comments you have and will make. a statement like "that block needs to become less ghetto." translates to "that block needs to become less black." and is exactly the kind to tone we do not need on this board. I don't know if you meant it that way or not, but seriously, think before you write stuff like that.

We live in a city with an incredibly difficult race history. Off handed comments like that just make it that much more difficult to reconcile what has happened, is happening, and will happen here. August Wilson would have some choice words for you if he was still around to read this.

P.S. The Duquesne Club is just a few doors down from here. That is probably the least "ghetto" establishment in this entire city.

I would like to weigh in on the usage of the word Ghetto. In years past I have definitely been guilty of using this word to describe usually run down areas. I personally don't think I ever meant anything too severe with it but when I discovered it was taken very personally by some of my black coworkers I realized I should find better adjectives.
So, instead of ghetto I think it's better to use terms that are actually correct like, abandoned buildings; underutilized block (Garden Theatre block); Or if you are talking about neighborhoods, like The Hill perhaps re-developing neighborhood; or in the case of public housing, call it public housing instead of the ghetto.

photoLith Oct 25, 2014 5:14 PM

Oh Jesus Christ, nobody has a problem with the word white trash, redneck, but the second someone says ghetto people lose their PC shit. Millvale where I live is white trash, Braddock is ghetto. Nobody has a problem with someone saying a place is white trash but if you say a neighborhood is ghetto then holy shit. I wish millvale would get less white trash just like I hope to see Manchester get less ghetto. I have seen about 3 or 4 idiotic fights in front of that granite building usually involving ghetto types. White trash people have the same kind of stupid testosterone and ignorance filled fights in millvale. Saying that some black people are ghetto is off limits in PC land but saying some whites are white trash is fine.

Austinlee Oct 25, 2014 6:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 6782607)
Oh Jesus Christ, nobody has a problem with the word white trash, redneck, but the second someone says ghetto people lose their PC shit. Millvale where I live is white trash, Braddock is ghetto. Nobody has a problem with someone saying a place is white trash but if you say a neighborhood is ghetto then holy shit. I wish millvale would get less white trash just like I hope to see Manchester get less ghetto. I have seen about 3 or 4 idiotic fights in front of that granite building usually involving ghetto types. White trash people have the same kind of stupid testosterone and ignorance filled fights in millvale. Saying that some black people are ghetto is off limits in PC land but saying some whites are white trash is fine.

I don't think it's very productive to make fun of low income whites or blacks. This country sometimes equates income level with the value of a person which is embarrassing.

photoLith Oct 25, 2014 6:25 PM

It's not about income but how people act.

Found5dollar Oct 25, 2014 8:37 PM

you can use whatever words you want as long as you realize how you using them makes you look. I just figured that on an architecture and development forum one should understand the loaded nature of terms thrown around as descriptors of areas. If you were the developer of the hotel and someone heard you state that your desire is to turn that are less ghetto, you would likely not be allowed to develop it because of the outcry.

Basically, "ghetto" is a tern that just shouldn't be used because there are much better adjectives and arguments that don't have any racial or socioeconomic undertones. What is it exactly about that block that you find not appealing? is it the large bus stops that make people linger, is it the empty store fronts, is it the potholed street, is it the shadows cast by the nearby tall buildings, is it the lack of a streetwall where the churches are, is it the secluded nature of the Dusquene Club, is it the crumbling historic buildings? These are all arguments with a more or less valid backing, but none make the area "ghetto."

photoLith Oct 25, 2014 10:17 PM

This discussion is moronic.

In other news, I saw today they are building a gigantic ramp down to Carrie Furnace which hopefully means construction will start down in that big brownfield site and maybe Carrie Furnace will get restored at some point.

BrianTH Oct 25, 2014 10:41 PM

Just to be clear, lots of people don't like the term "white trash" either, particularly in broad application (as in "that is a white trash area").

Anyhoo--I agree that when you factor in the greatly increased intensity of land utilization (including the air rights over the Granite Building), the context-sensitive design of the new portion, the proximity to a subway station, and the general benefits of more night time population Downtown--this a project worth sacrificing the Arby's building for.

GeneW Oct 25, 2014 11:42 PM

I was going to try to put into words the problem that I have with calling somewhere or someone "ghetto" but this blog post (and linked post) does a better job than I can:

Ghetto as a Pejorative:
Quote:

Inherent in the “ghetto” stereotype is the idea the problems of the black underclass are primarily about personal moral failings; those people are beyond help, those people cannot help themselves. But all stereotypes exist to reinforce power relations. If you buy the idea that women are not rational enough to make important decisions and so fragile that they need to be protected, you can justify denying them the franchise or drivers’ licenses or sexual agency or whatever else. If you buy that Jews are unscrupulous, you can justify discriminating against them in hiring or college admissions, like the Ivy League did. And so on.

“Ghetto” is just an update of the “shiftless, morally bankrupt” stereotype that has always been used to justify discrimination against black people. I understand why folks want to defensively distance themselves from being lumped into that stereotype, but we should be calling bullshit on the stereotype itself — not merely shifting its focus to the black underclass.

designer3d712 Oct 26, 2014 4:48 AM

Break Down...

BrianTH Knows everything. If you disagree with him, you're wrong.

photoLith Just complains about everything. No help there.

Evergrey Loves Toby Keith.. Shhh... I didn't say that..

:koko:

Austinlee Oct 26, 2014 1:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by designer3d712 (Post 6783103)
Evergrey Loves Toby Keith.. Shhh... I didn't say that..

:koko:

Evergrey is suspended right now.

photoLith Oct 26, 2014 1:23 PM

Why?

GeneW Oct 26, 2014 1:34 PM

Young Preservationists released their 2014 list:

Quote:

Young Preservationists Association Top 10

1. 6012-6018 Penn Ave., East Liberty

2. Drover's Hotel, North Side

3. The facades at 320, 322 and 330 Forbes Ave., Downtown

4. Allegheny Commons Bridge, North Side

5. McKean Avenue, Donora

6. Roxian Theatre, McKees Rocks

7. Leslie Park Pool, Lawrenceville

8. Brashear Co. Factory, Perry South

9. Regis Steedle Candies, Millvale

10. Land-banking, city of Pittsburgh and Westmoreland County

Minivan Werner Oct 26, 2014 2:49 PM

Some cool stuff happening in McKees Rocks... Are there any clearer images of what the foot print of the film studio, CSX terminal and other things are supposed to look like?

BrianTH Oct 27, 2014 2:02 PM

Anti-density NIMBYism in action:

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/ci...s/201410270052

Quote:

“In our meetings, we asked people how many houses is too many. Twenty? All hands went up. Fifteen? Fewer hands. Ten? That seemed to suit people."

Captain Crash Oct 27, 2014 4:32 PM

The Post-Gazette offered a nice review of the new visitors center in Ohiopyle, which has recently opened that is still somewhat incomplete. Not in Pittsburgh obviously, but Ohiopyle is an important linchpin in the region's tourism industry and the center, along with other recent improvements in the park, are really going to make some strides in that area.

http://www.post-gazette.com/life/rec...s/201410190093

BrianTH Oct 27, 2014 7:08 PM

This planned LNG production plant and fueling station network could help promote more local use of LNG, which would mean capturing locally more of the economic benefits of local natural gas drilling:

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg....html?page=all