SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Photography (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   100 Strangers (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190959)

diskojoe May 9, 2011 6:15 PM

100 Strangers

This is a flickr project that I just started and is going amazing so far. Basically the project is about going out and taking pictures of 100 strangers that you don't know but you have to approach and get consent for the project, no candid shots unless permitted by the participant. Its a great project that I recommend to everyone.

This is the first of the 100 Strangers for my project. Coincidentally this was also the first photo of mine to make it to Flickr Explore (Explored 5/10/2011)!!!!!

Please go to Flickr to read the Bio about the subjects and I will update this thread as it progresses.

100 Strangers: 1/100 - Jessica
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2177/...02ed1b5d_b.jpg
Jessica - 100 Strangers: 1/100 [Explored: 5/10/2011] 1st Explore!!! by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

Expat May 11, 2011 12:28 PM

Brilliant photo and interesting project!

mr.John May 11, 2011 3:26 PM

I wouldn't do that in Montreal for all the money in the world let alone for free

volguus zildrohar May 12, 2011 4:02 AM

Interesting idea.

diskojoe May 16, 2011 2:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.John (Post 5273938)
I wouldn't do that in Montreal for all the money in the world let alone for free

You could totally do it in Montreal. You might have to watch your ass some more but it could be done. I'm sure some how you meet new people. We'll just take their picture and get their story. It's not really that weird. Plus you might meet someone cool.

I meet this girl. Very cool. We ended up doing a fashion shoot.

Check it out......
http://www.flickr.com/photos/diskojo...7626730393534/

entheosfog May 17, 2011 2:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diskojoe (Post 5278920)
You could totally do it in Montreal. You might have to watch your ass some more but it could be done. I'm sure some how you meet new people. We'll just take their picture and get their story. It's not really that weird. Plus you might meet someone cool.

One of my flickr contacts from Montreal did a strangers project like that and got great results. I wish I had the nerve!

diskojoe May 18, 2011 5:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by entheosfog (Post 5280231)
One of my flickr contacts from Montreal did a strangers project like that and got great results. I wish I had the nerve!

Grow a pair! :haha: Seriously, its a cool way to meet new people.

entheosfog May 19, 2011 2:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diskojoe (Post 5282190)
Grow a pair! :haha: Seriously, its a cool way to meet new people.

haha I've been shy all my life but you're right, it's a great way to get out of my shell :)

BlueIcicle May 22, 2011 9:11 PM

Interesting project,

but I'm way too shy to walk up to total stranger like that. They'd probably think it's a pick-up line.

Btw, that's a good picture. What camera do you use? Also, what is your approach when approaching these strangers? Do they ever say "no," and how do you get their permission to publish their photos? Do you have a form they have to sign?

diskojoe May 23, 2011 5:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueIcicle (Post 5287550)
but I'm way too shy to walk up to total stranger like that. They'd probably think it's a pick-up line.

Btw, that's a good picture. What camera do you use? Also, what is your approach when approaching these strangers? Do they ever say "no," and how do you get their permission to publish their photos? Do you have a form they have to sign?

Thanks for the kind words.

No, real secret. Just ask.

here is a link to the flickr site if anyone wants more info about the project.....

http://www.flickr.com/groups/100strangers/

As for this stranger. Me and my friend James were going out for a neighborhood. As we were walking off from the car and I looked back and saw her sitting on her porch. We were pretty far off but she seemed interesting so I told myself that if she was out when we came back I'd go ask if she would participate in my project.

As we were walking back to the car I saw her come back out of her front door. So I made a B-line right up to her and asked her if I could take her photo. She agreed and even suggested a location right down the street from her.

So in this situation it was very simple. Also this was the first person I interviewed for this project but its not the first time I took pictures of stranger with their consent. Usually I just kind of happen up on them in some way or another.

As for my gear its pretty cheap and minimal at the moment. I use a sony alpha 200 DSLR along with the following lenses: Minolta 50mm f1-7; Sigma 70-210mm f2.8 APO; and a sony 18-70mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens.

So nothing real special. Just keep your handy steady and point them at something cool.

BlueIcicle May 23, 2011 11:31 PM

Flickr

I visited your Flickr website. Are you collecting 100 photos submitted by other photographers? I thought your project was of 100 strangers that you are going to take photos of.

diskojoe May 24, 2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueIcicle (Post 5288871)
I visited your Flickr website. Are you collecting 100 photos submitted by other photographers? I thought your project was of 100 strangers that you are going to take photos of.

the photos are all my own on the flickr. I just started the 100 strangers project so currently I have 1. i think you might have click the link to the group site.

this is my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/diskojoe/

diskojoe Jun 15, 2011 5:36 PM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2788/...4256f237_b.jpg
Diem - 100 Strangers: 2/100 by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

I had been neglecting this project somewhat for a few weeks because I just hadn't gone out anywhere. But some friends had invited me out to have dinner and I thought it would be a good chance to get back in the spirit of the 100 strangers project.

This beautiful young lady here is named Diem.

My two friends and I were contemplating going to the Yard House in City Centre but it was super packed so we decided to try this Asian restaurant named Straits that was next door and a little less busy.

Diem was working the front counter at the restaurant. So as we are waiting for a table to be cleared I decided to ask if she would like to be part of my project. At first she blushed just a bit and giggled a little. I could tell she was a bit surprised but she agreed to participate and started to try to fix her hair. i told her her hair looked fine and to just relax.

After I took Diem's picture we talked for a minute. i asked about her job and she said it was just a job for now and that she is currently attending Houston Community College located right down the road. She said she would like to be a dental hygienist because dentist have good hours and the people are less trouble then doing something like nursing.

Right about this time another hostess came by and told me our table was ready (which my friends were already seated at) and that was the end of our conversation.

In parting I would like to add that the food was amazing!

This picture was taken using my Sony A200 and my Minolta 50mm f1.7.

This picture is 2 in my 100 strangers project. Find out more about the project and see pictures taken by other photographers at the 100 Strangers Flickr Group page

diskojoe Jun 15, 2011 5:42 PM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2654/...19886ecd_b.jpg
caitlin - 100 Strangers: 3/100 by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

On Monday (6/13/2011) I actually found myself with some free time to roam around and go take some pictures. So after my evening class was released around 7pm I decided to walk down the street to one of my favorite pubs - The Flying Saucer.

I was at the bar waiting on the bartender to bring me the beer I just ordered (a Paulaner Salvatore Doublebock for only $3!!!) when I meet Caitlin. She asked me if I needed anything and I told her someone was already helping me. She then made the joke about me not wanting her to get me a beer. At this point I already liked her and told her that if she did really want to do something for me she could participate in my project. She kinda laughed a bit and then I told her i was serious and explained the project a little to her and she agreed. So first I took a picture of her and a few waitress which was cool. It kinda ease her tensions and got her to relax.

Afterwards i talked to her for a while. She told me she had just started working at the Flying Saucer and got the job because she liked to hang out there alot. Me too! She also told me she was a Music Education major and the University of Houston main campus. She specialized in percussion and told me her favorite instrument was timpani which I have great respect for being a ex-symphony musician myself.

This picture was taken using my Sony A200 and my Minolta 50mm f1.7.

This picture is #3 in my 100 strangers project. Find out more about the project and see pictures taken by other photographers at the 100 Strangers Flickr Group page

One more from Caitlin and the girls....
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3182/...89c8a408_z.jpg
3waitresses by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

diskojoe Jun 15, 2011 5:44 PM

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5144/...0188bd24_b.jpg
Stas - 100 Stranger: 4/100 by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

This is Stas and I found him and his two friends to be extremely interesting people and I actually ended up sitting and talking to them for well over an hour.

So I was outside of The Flying Saucer having a smoke when I see a group of guys walking past. One of them, Stas, was carrying a Canon DSLR so I decided to ask him what he was shooting with. So him and his friends stopped and he showed me his camera and they checked out mine too. After a moment I noticed they all had very thick accents so i asked if they were tourists. They advised me that they were from Russia, Moscow specifically, and they were a team Bauman University in town for a robotics competition out by Webster. For those of you not familiar with Houston, Webster is just outside of Houston and where NASA is located.

Some info on the competition....
<a href="http://www.materover.org/rov_competition_files/2011/ROVbro.2011.final.110510_FINAL.pdf" rel="nofollow">www.materover.org/rov_competition_files/2011/ROVbro.2011....</a>

So of all the people I could encounter I end up meeting some Russian robot scientists. Pretty cool if you ask me.

So we sat down and ordered some beers. I ordered them all a St. Arnolds Summer pilsner because they wanted an American beer. So what better then a beer brewed right here in the heart of Houston. Plus the summer pilsner was on special for $3 a pint!!!

We ended up talking about lots of other subjects like the current recession and financial crisis and plenty of other stuff. They even ended up taking a picture of me too. Given the chance I probably would have hung out with them longer but I had to go cause the wife was called me and wanted me to come home cause the kids were spending the night at her mother's house.

This picture was taken using my Sony A200 and my Minolta 50mm f1.7. I had taken another picture of Stas standing by himself but it did not come out as well as I hoped so this quick shot I took before I took a photo of Stas and his team mate Dmitry.

This picture is #4 in my 100 strangers project. Find out more about the project and see pictures taken by other photographers at the 100 Strangers Flickr Group page

Stas and his friend Dmitry.....
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3425/...55f20c21_z.jpg
Russian Scientists on Holiday by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

Expat Jun 15, 2011 7:17 PM

Diskojoe - This is really cool.

diskojoe Jun 15, 2011 7:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Expat (Post 5316474)
Diskojoe - This is really cool.

Dude, it really is. As I start to get deeper into it just keeps getting cooler. All the people i have met so far have been really cool and I just love to collect their stories and hear about their lives. if it wasnt for this project I probably would have just stopped by the bar had a quick beer and then left without hardly speaking to anyone. But instead I went out on a limb and met some crazy russian robots scientists. For real, how cool is that.

You should do it too pat. You're friendly and are out all the time. Click the link below my picture and join the group. Trust me, you can do it. It'll be great and you'll have fun.

Lipani Jun 15, 2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diskojoe (Post 5316318)
Pretty cool if you ask me.

Indeed! Sometimes it's amazing who you can meet with just a little bit of small talk. Today while at the dentist I say next to a guy in the lobby who teaches physics at UC San Diego. While no science myself, just a short conversation was amazing.

Glad to see you're on this project again! It's been fun to follow.

diskojoe Jun 16, 2011 1:10 PM

:previous:

Thanks. The project is lots of fun.

photoLith Jun 17, 2011 4:42 AM

Oh man, you didnt get a picture of that hot black chick from the Thai place we went to, she was bangin. :)