SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | OneEleven - 111 West Wacker | 630 FT | 59 FLOORS | COM (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185023)

Steely Dan Sep 14, 2010 8:01 PM

CHICAGO | OneEleven - 111 West Wacker | 630 FT | 59 FLOORS | COM

this is a thread to post any news and opinions regarding the 30 story, partially built concrete hulk on the site of the former (and now dead) Waterview Tower proposal.

the current proposal:

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/t...N/a929fb3d.jpg

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/t...N/b7121d22.jpg

the site as it exists today:

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/4363/waterview2.jpg
source: me

Steely Dan Sep 14, 2010 8:05 PM

from the old thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC-Chicago (Post 4980937)
The original thread was closed, but I wanted to share new information.

Teng & Associates has been sold to Trow Global.

How this relates to Waterview is not yet seen.

http://www.generalatlantic.com/en/news/article/1334

http://www.trow.com/tnw/Default.aspx?langID=EN

*mods, feel free to merge this with the closed thread if you wish. Just thought people might be interested.

ChicagoChicago Sep 14, 2010 8:26 PM

Next batman movie...blow it up.

Dr. Taco Sep 14, 2010 8:38 PM

taller than the tallest building in a lot of towns...

I wonder if anyone has ever independently played around with what could be put there without doing any demo

ChicagoChicago Sep 14, 2010 8:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Taco (Post 4981082)
taller than the tallest building in a lot of towns...

I wonder if anyone has ever independently played around with what could be put there without doing any demo

I know for a fact they have. One of my clients now owns an interest in the building.

Onn Sep 14, 2010 8:51 PM

-Onn likes this!

I would like to see the original plan go through, it's the only option for this site. Someone, somewhere, has to come up with the money. I would be traveling to the Middle East, they seem willing to invest in these kinds of projects.

Chicagoguy Sep 14, 2010 8:52 PM

Its hard to believe that they are more than 1/3 done height wise and they still cant seem to get anything moving along. Chicago is the city though where we just keeping putting off finishing things...this could sit like this for YEARS!

M II A II R II K Sep 14, 2010 10:23 PM

It has the foundation to build higher, which should be taken advantage of.

Alliance Sep 15, 2010 12:44 AM

It still bugs me that this building was 75% sold and couldn't get financing. Hopefully if the original proposal is not completed, something more progressive is.

jcchii Sep 16, 2010 2:17 PM

it does seem like at the very least someone could add floors to the point it's financially feasible and then just make an apartment building out of it

meh_cd Sep 16, 2010 3:16 PM

In the old thread, wasn't it mentioned that the glass facade panels were already manufactured and sitting in a warehouse? Just finish it as it was supposed to be and get it over with.

Oh, and build the Waldorf Astoria. (hah)

i_am_hydrogen Sep 16, 2010 4:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alliance (Post 4981379)
It still bugs me that this building was 75% sold and couldn't get financing. Hopefully if the original proposal is not completed, something more progressive is.

How many of them would have closed, given the economy, is another matter entirely.

Rizzo Sep 17, 2010 3:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meh_cd (Post 4983262)
In the old thread, wasn't it mentioned that the glass facade panels were already manufactured and sitting in a warehouse? Just finish it as it was supposed to be and get it over with.

Oh, and build the Waldorf Astoria. (hah)

That's interesting. I'd be fine with them cladding it in glass with parking and hotel in the existing floors. Of course I would prefer the tower to be completed as originally planned, but I'd be content with a 30 story building as well.

Ironically, the current structure massing fits nicely with the tower next door. And positions of columns and openings are similar to 55 Wacker. They picked a good floor to stop construction at.

Zerton Sep 18, 2010 2:25 AM

^I've always thought that. And it completes the tall tower - short tower - tall tower - short tower pattern along the river.

kenratboy Sep 18, 2010 5:04 AM

Oh man, I totally forgot about this guy!

I would love to see it rise as planned. If anything, at least throw another 10-20 floors on it. New space in downtown Chicago does not grow on trees - make the most of it.

denizen467 Sep 18, 2010 7:53 AM

I remember the below-grade phase took excruciatingly long on Waterview - to integrate the multiple uses into the tight site plan, and to support a slender tower of 90 stories. (This was going to be the tallest ever non-full-block (or sub-half-block if you want to get technical about JHC) building in Chicago, or the world, or something like that.)

It'd be such a shame to let that infrastructure go underused, including that it's one of the few remaining sites benefiting from a bi-level roadway.

LaSalle.St.Station Sep 18, 2010 8:02 AM

in a macro level economic comment..... it would take an economy with a pulse to finance anything....

Lets use the skyway and parking meter reserve to finannce one or two big projects ..and then reinvest. oh no.... we used it for operating deficits....Daley gave up 2 years ago.

F1 Tommy Sep 18, 2010 2:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 4985402)
I remember the below-grade phase took excruciatingly long on Waterview - to integrate the multiple uses into the tight site plan, and to support a slender tower of 90 stories. (This was going to be the tallest ever non-full-block (or sub-half-block if you want to get technical about JHC) building in Chicago, or the world, or something like that.)

It'd be such a shame to let that infrastructure go underused, including that it's one of the few remaining sites benefiting from a bi-level roadway.

I think the time it took had more to do with the developer not having loans in place even at that early date. Half the time you would not see anything happen for a day or two when they were doing the foundation. That said I think you are right about this site now needing a supertall since they already spent the money on the core. Not sure what happened to the cladding. I understood it was only enough for the first 10-15 floors. It was sitting in a warehouse near O'hare.

Tom In Chicago Sep 18, 2010 3:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1 Tommy (Post 4985554)
I think the time it took had more to do with the developer not having loans in place even at that early date.

Not only that. . . they bought the land back in like 1999. . . the fact that they got /only/ this far in 10 years given the booming state of the economy during that period is really telling, Teng's deficiency as a real estate development company has been made abundantly clear. . . I've always said they should have outsourced that and stuck to being the engineering firm they're known for. . . the fact that we're even talking about this in 2010 is a terrible shame. . .

. . .

denizen467 Sep 19, 2010 4:39 AM

I'm not entirely sure that inability to get loan documents in order explains construction stuttering two days on and two days off etc. -- it would more explain a situation of prolonged periods of delay and interruption. Teng's inexperience managing complex developments and all the trades involved would definitely explain the slow going though. But anyway Teng clearly attempted something only a limited number of developers would have been able to pull off in the first place, especially with the condo-hotel concept.

Now the (web) site looks as bad as the (construction) site -- it's "under construction" and very out of date (waterviewtower.com). Sigh.

So is the Teng name (whether as a standalone or as an operating unit) going to continue to exist ?