SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mountain West (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Idaho Statewide Development, News and Miscellaneous Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149269)

Boiseguy Apr 13, 2008 2:42 AM

Idaho Statewide Development, News and Miscellaneous Thread

OK peeps, here is a new thread that can encompass all area's of idaho, Not just Cda, IF, and Boise. If you find anything interesting or cool to share.. lets hear it. And keep this thread alive... The Metro's of idaho are great and all, but we need to remember the rest of idaho is full of amazing places as well with lots of developments of their own.
Lets Hear from ya!:notacrook:

Ute_City Apr 13, 2008 4:26 AM

I'd like to hear about projects in Malad. That town is awesome.

Boiseguy Apr 13, 2008 5:48 AM

I don't know if that was a joke or not.. but the thought behind this thread is about other area's of idaho that get talked about in main city threads so that people aren't upset or confused about the locations of such projects
Idaho is home to many resort towns with large scale projects going on. As well as Growing cities like Twin Falls and Pocatello. There is also information about lewiston and moscow as well that has been talked about.. yet doesn't seem to have its place... Participate if want.. but be cool about it... there's been enough bitching going on lately... we lose sight of the fact that this is a construction/skyscraper forum... and not us vs. them debate. :D

Ute_City Apr 13, 2008 7:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boiseguy (Post 3481582)
I don't know if that was a joke or not.. but the thought behind this thread is about other area's of idaho that get talked about in main city threads so that people aren't upset or confused about the locations of such projects
Idaho is home to many resort towns with large scale projects going on. As well as Growing cities like Twin Falls and Pocatello. There is also information about lewiston and moscow as well that has been talked about.. yet doesn't seem to have its place... Participate if want.. but be cool about it... there's been enough bitching going on lately... we lose sight of the fact that this is a construction/skyscraper forum... and not us vs. them debate. :D

It was completely serious, Malad is the first point where a Utahn can get their lotto/Powerball fix. :D

IFguy Apr 13, 2008 6:33 PM

Okay this sounds like a good idea. Since I am on this side of the state I will start with Rexburg. I can't remember the exact source at the moment but it said that Rexburg may become the next Provo. Madison County alone has picked up 9K new residents in just the last 7 years so I believe that may be a possibility.

There are also plans to raze one whole city block near downtown and build a massive mixed use development. This plan is to include lodging, residential, and retail.

There could even end up being a possibility that Rexburg could grow bigger than Idaho Falls and Pocatello, it probably won't, but it could.

wrendog Apr 13, 2008 6:46 PM

Rexburg already is Provo Junior. :)

When you say it could be the next Provo, what do you mean?

StevenF Apr 13, 2008 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ute_City (Post 3481729)
It was completely serious, Malad is the first point where a Utahn can get their lotto/Powerball fix. :D

Not true. People go up to Preston all the time from Logan to get there fix.

Boiseguy Apr 13, 2008 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IFguy (Post 3482322)
Okay this sounds like a good idea. Since I am on this side of the state I will start with Rexburg. I can't remember the exact source at the moment but it said that Rexburg may become the next Provo. Madison County alone has picked up 9K new residents in just the last 7 years so I believe that may be a possibility.

There are also plans to raze one whole city block near downtown and build a massive mixed use development. This plan is to include lodging, residential, and retail.

There could even end up being a possibility that Rexburg could grow bigger than Idaho Falls and Pocatello, it probably won't, but it could.

actually I've heard that as well... I don't know if it has to do with BYU Idaho or just people moving to the area for shits and giggles... its definetely pretty up there.. not as dry sagebrushy as the rest of southern idaho
but on the flip side its cold as F there...
Its becoming a hot spot for Mo's to send their kids off to to get married....

IFguy Apr 13, 2008 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrendog (Post 3482342)
Rexburg already is Provo Junior. :)

When you say it could be the next Provo, what do you mean?

Due to Ricks College being converted to the 4 year BYU-I and the temple being built, Rexburg is truly "growing up". The population gains up there are really crazy, be it from college students coming to the school alot of them are staying and getting married. The BYU I campus is still expanding so there will be a bigger need for student housing. With all the new students from around the country there is a need for more restaurants, hotels and motels, and retail outlets, with the lodging being for the parents coming to visit.

The article I read is basically comparing the growth that Rexburg is going through now, to the same growth rate that Provo experienced. Basically BYUI could become as big of a school as BYU in Provo. Studies have been done that expect the growth to be close to 10% a year and that in the year 2014 the population of the city will have doubled. That would put the city somewhere between 34-42,000 residents, depended on who's head count you use. Rexburg is already claiming the population is near 30,000. Quite a jump from the 17,000 just 8 years ago.

You may also want to take into account all the growth going on in the Teton Valley. Cities such as Driggs, Victor, and Tetonia are growing rapidly and it would be alot easier for them to drive to Rexburg than Idaho Falls for their shopping and dining needs so I also expect that to play into Rexburg's retail growth.

As for the developments in and around Rexburg I will try to get some more in depth plans and possibly and article or two to link to.

My best guess, give it maybe 15 years until we have the Rexburg Metropolitan Area which will encompass the Upper Valley and include Teton county and Fremont county.

N2I.F. Apr 14, 2008 3:37 AM

I See BYU-I a Little Differently

Quote:

Originally Posted by IFguy (Post 3482727)
Due to Ricks College being converted to the 4 year BYU-I and the temple being built, Rexburg is truly "growing up". The population gains up there are really crazy, be it from college students coming to the school alot of them are staying and getting married. The BYU I campus is still expanding so there will be a bigger need for student housing. With all the new students from around the country there is a need for more restaurants, hotels and motels, and retail outlets, with the lodging being for the parents coming to visit.

The article I read is basically comparing the growth that Rexburg is going through now, to the same growth rate that Provo experienced. Basically BYUI could become as big of a school as BYU in Provo. Studies have been done that expect the growth to be close to 10% a year and that in the year 2014 the population of the city will have doubled. That would put the city somewhere between 34-42,000 residents, depended on who's head count you use. Rexburg is already claiming the population is near 30,000. Quite a jump from the 17,000 just 8 years ago.

You may also want to take into account all the growth going on in the Teton Valley. Cities such as Driggs, Victor, and Tetonia are growing rapidly and it would be alot easier for them to drive to Rexburg than Idaho Falls for their shopping and dining needs so I also expect that to play into Rexburg's retail growth.

As for the developments in and around Rexburg I will try to get some more in depth plans and possibly and article or two to link to.

My best guess, give it maybe 15 years until we have the Rexburg Metropolitan Area which will encompass the Upper Valley and include Teton county and Fremont county.

First, Boiseguy, I think this is a great idea. I would sure like to know more about Moscow, Lewiston and even areas in the most northern ID.

Wrendog, I read the same info IF Guy did (or at least comparable). The developers are 2 brothers who are life long Rexburg residents and want to give back to the area.

There are dynamics of Rexburg that are similar to BYU-U, but IMHO, Rexburg will cap at a certain level. There are many programs BYU-I doesn't have available only in BYU-U.

Additionally, let's not forget Provo wouldn't be Provo without SLC. ;) Don't take that wrong, just think back to the 80s or 90s. How much did Provo rely on SLC. Sheez, it wasn't too long again UVRMC still transported many patients to LDS Hospital etc. So everything has to be put into perspective.

Rexburg can't continue to develop without Idaho Falls. For example, just think airports. Provo still can't get a commuter airline, although I've read some of those discussions. Rexburg won't develop a a commercial development. Plus, look at the $ in UT COUNTY. Rexburg is far from that currently.

Plus, the fact BYU-I eliminated sports both strengths academics, but limits some of the growth Provo has seen from the NCAA sports programs.

What BYU-I does, IMHO, is does allow more workers to remain in eastern ID if they wish to do so. Plus, honestly, I think the quality of education is better than ISU, as ISU currently exists. I'd encourage anyone who could (if they lived in eastern ID and could go to either institution) to go to BYU-I for their degree.

And BYU-I will keep certain contractors busy with additions, new buildings etc.!:tup:

Despite the limitations I see at the Rexburg campus, I honestly expect with time BYU-I will partner more with certain businesses/institusion etc. in Idaho Falls to create NEW degrees that the Rexburg location simply isn't large enough to allow. I know that sounds cryptic - sorry. Just not ready to share my thoughts about all of that yet.;)

Just my :2cents:.

wrendog Apr 14, 2008 3:53 AM

Please don't refer to BYU as "BYU-U". Thanks.

:) :) :)

Ute_City Apr 14, 2008 5:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenF (Post 3482414)
Not true. People go up to Preston all the time from Logan to get there fix.

Well for me it is my first opportunity, I would take I-15. :cheers:

Ute_City Apr 14, 2008 5:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrendog (Post 3483181)

I'd like to refer to BYU as another phrase. Please insert any deragatory word you would like. ;)

StevenF Apr 14, 2008 5:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ute_City (Post 3483305)

I Own a home in Newton and its much easier for those over here to drive up main to Preston then to drive over Valley View to I-15.

N2I.F. Apr 14, 2008 8:59 AM

Wren, Happy To Modiy as You Help Make One of My Points.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrendog (Post 3483181)

Ok, Wren.

Just BYU-I and BYU-H, right? You are correct that the Utah campus was there first.

Not all of us love the "Y" as much as some. I'll go with the lighted "U" anyday. But, you are civil in your discussions and I'm happy to comply with your wish and give the Provo campus its dues.:) So BYU means Utah County, UT. I can live with that.

However, do you see, in an odd way, just by clarifying BYU is in Provo was/is the original BYU (National Football Title and all) you, too, are clarifying what is different about the two institutions?

I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time:haha: ), but I really don't see the same growth in Rexburg like Provo. I also don't see the Rexburg "community" as willing to accept say a 10 story mid-rise for housing. They want their views of the Tetons etc.;)

Truthfully, knowing some who jumped at the chance to teach at BYU-I, there currently aren't the same level of academic achievement that BYU requires. Maybe in some well established departments, but not all.:rolleyes:

Having lived in both states, I honestly have to say tolerance for differences isn't the same in Rexburg as Provo/Orem and all the communities in Utah County. Might just be me, but I do know a fair amount about both areas.:yes: :yes:

el conquistador Apr 14, 2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ute_City (Post 3483305)

Do they not sell lottery at La Tienda in Franklin? :D I know when I was at USU that's where we went for better beer........:cheers:

Cottonwood Apr 14, 2008 2:33 PM

I remember back when the LDS church came out with a video trying to discourage Idaho Mormons from voting in favor of the lottery. Now it all makes sense...they were really trying to keep all of the active Utah LDS members from driving north and contributing to Idaho's economy! :jester: :haha: :banana:

el conquistador Apr 14, 2008 3:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cottonwood (Post 3483788)
I remember back when the LDS church came out with a video trying to discourage Idaho Mormons from voting in favor of the lottery. Now it all makes sense...they were really trying to keep all of the active Utah LDS members from driving north and contributing to Idaho's economy! :jester: :haha: :banana:

When I was in college, some of the Utah natives had a great T-shirt. It said 'Utah's fun spots', and it was all towns just over the borders, including Franklin for better beer, all the Nevada border towns for gambling, the Arizona side of Lake Powell, etc.... :D

It was totally TIC, but still very clever IMO!

IFguy Apr 14, 2008 6:23 PM

Teton Valley development links

http://www.huntsmansprings.com/

http://www.idahosky.com/trailcreekcrossing/

As promised here are at least two links to developments in Driggs and Victor.:tup:

Sawtooth Apr 15, 2008 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenF (Post 3483355)
I Own a home in Newton and its much easier for those over here to drive up main to Preston then to drive over Valley View to I-15.

Damn, when I decide to buy a lotto ticket I just bike or walk the 6 blocks down Resseguie Street to Albertsons. Oh, and at the same time I can walk to the wine aisle and pick out an excellent Syrah too. :rolleyes: