SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   HARRISBURG-LANCASTER-LEBANON-YORK | South Central, PA | Regional Development Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43038)

EastSideHBG May 22, 2004 2:43 AM

HARRISBURG-LANCASTER-LEBANON-YORK | South Central, PA | Regional Development Thread

HARRISBURG-LANCASTER-LEBANON-YORK | South Central, PA | Regional Development Thread

This thread is for development updates for the surrounding "South Central Pennsylvania" counties of the Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York DMA. This region of Pennsylvania is viewed in the state as one Metropolitan Area or one "Region," and encompasses the Harrisburg-York MSA, Lebanon MSA (Harrisburg-York-Lebanon CSA), and the Lancaster MSA.

Wikipedia link to the Harrisburg-York-Lebanon CSA (Greater Harrisburg) Page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris...atistical_Area

Wikipedia link to the Lancaster MSA Page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancas...,_Pennsylvania

Cities in the Metro with multiple highrises encompassed in this thread:

City - Number of Buildings Over 12 Floors - Tallest Building in that city

Harrisburg - 29 buildings - 333 Market Street, 23 floors, 341 FT
Lancaster - 5 buildings - Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square, 19 floors, 224 FT

All Pennsylvania Counties & Cities/Towns encompassed in this thread:

Dauphin County: Harrisburg, Hershey, Middletown, Hummelstown, Millersburg, Steelton, Linglestown

Lancaster County:

Cumberland County: Carlisle, Mechanicsburg, New Cumberland

York County:

Adams County:

Lebanon County:

Perry County:

wrightchr May 22, 2004 2:45 AM

hahahahahahahahahahaha :hilarious

wrightchr May 22, 2004 3:20 AM

hmmm...woudn't you consider hershey and lebanon part of this forum as well??? and maybe even carlisle???

EastSideHBG May 22, 2004 3:24 AM

Yes. But the threads are pretty new and I think many people would be interested in them (especially the Hershey one), so I figured I would just leave them where they are. In the future they would be located here, though.

EastSideHBG May 22, 2004 4:12 AM

VERY happy to see these improvements...

NEWS INFORMATION FROM THE OFFICE OF MAYOR STEPHEN R. REED

City of Harrisburg

King City Government Center
Harrisburg, PA 17101-1678
Telephone: 717.255.3040

FOR IMMEDIATE USE

21 May 2004

NEW TRAFFIC SIGNALS OPERATIONAL AT THREE CITY INTERSECTIONS; TOTAL OF 36 INTERSECTIONS INCLUDED IN MULTI-YEAR PROJECT

Harrisburg, PA—Mayor Stephen R. Reed today announced that additional intersections now have new traffic signals to handle increased traffic volume more safely. New signal lights have now been installed at Cameron and Calder Streets, Fifth and Walnut Streets, and at S. 19th and Sycamore Streets. Work also continues on the new intersection being created at 21st Street at State and Walnut Streets, which also includes new traffic signals when it is completed in late Summer. It is the first time any of these intersections have ever had signals.

Reed said the new lights are either fully operational or have been placed in flashing yellow in readiness for permanent use. The new lights are part of a larger effort commissioned by the Mayor to add or replace signals at 36 city intersections. The comprehensive signalization project involves not only new signals but also the replacement of older incandescent bulbs in existing signals with new LED signal heads, which shine brighter, require less electrical energy to operate, and last more than five times as long as older bulbs. The new lights will save an average of nearly $100,000 a year in energy savings once the project is fully completed.

The Mayor said the project also includes the installation of new flashing warning signs around various city public schools.

Reed said work on the Cameron and Calder Streets intersection, created in part because of heavier rush hour traffic congestion from nearby industrial and commercial facilities, was designed by Gannett-Fleming through PennDOT, with Herr Signal and Lighting providing the installation at a cost of approximately $100,000.

The 5th and Walnut Streets signal was also designed by Gannett Fleming with the work conducted by Carr and Duff, at a cost of $105,000.

The S. 19th and Sycamore work was done by Gannett Fleming and installed by Wyoming Electric and Signal, at a price of approximately $100,000.

Work is also well underway on the complete reconfiguration of the intersection at 21st and Walnut/State Streets to provide better access to Reservoir Park and its many facilities. New traffic signals at the intersection will also become operational later this summer. Design work on the new intersection was provided by Melham Associates, PC, and construction work is being conducted by Rogele Inc. at a project cost of $495,000. The traffic signals were designed for PennDOT by Grove Miller Engineering, Inc., and are being installed by Wyoming Electric and Signal at a cost of $121,000.

Reed said future work will include the resignalization of five intersections on Maclay Street, from Front to 6th Streets; three intersections on 13th Street from Walnut to Sycamore Streets, five intersections on 6th Street from Verbeke to Division Streets, six intersections on 17th Street from Herr to Brookwood Streets, and four intersections on Market Street from 13th to 25th Streets.

In the past two years, new traffic signals have been placed at the main entrance to the Kline Plaza shopping center, on Pine Street at Front and Second Streets, and on Locust Street at 2nd and 3rd Streets. Further, two intersections on Derry Street, at 13th and 17th Streets, have had upgraded signals to allow for turning lanes due to higher traffic volume.

Reed said that there will be new traffic signals at 36 intersections when all work is completed, providing far greater efficiency in traffic movement that will save fuel costs and time, while enhancing traffic safety.

The Mayor said federal funds have been earmarked to cover the costs of design, equipment and installation for the program, which has received approval from PennDOT and the Harrisburg Area Transportation Study Group. The city is administering the design and related work.

Following a competitive proposal process, the firm of Herbert Rowland and Grubic has been designated to do the extensive design and planning work for these additional intersections under a design contract for $549,632.

Separately, in connection with the upcoming widening of N. 7th Street from Reily to Maclay Streets, taking the major corridor from two to four lanes, new traffic signals will be installed on N. 7th Street at Reily and Maclay Streets.

EastSideHBG May 22, 2004 4:16 AM

I must admit, I was a bit negative towards the whole Cow Parade thing. But after I saw them all over the city, I totally changed my stance. What a great thing to have here!!! And btw, HBG is the first city this size to get it (it's usually only in the larger cities). Kudos to the person(s) who got this here, and I hope to see it back again. :tup:

http://harrisburg.cowparade.net/

wrightchr May 22, 2004 4:44 AM

great project...these signals really need replaced and updated. new signals at certain locations are greatly needed IMO.

wrightchr May 22, 2004 10:00 AM

oh yeah...HERE i got an article too. it's from WHP21 at http://www.whptv.com/news/local/stor...3-155971171A32

<b>Wild West Museum Update</b>
While Mayor Stephen Reed still remains quiet over the issue, some other city officials are speaking out. One of them says the mayor tried planning the museum in good faith, in an effort to help the city.

As Chris Schaffer reports, a councilwoman feels this is a lose-lose situation.

Among Mayor Stephen Reed's collection of old west artifacts, a gun owned by the man who made his last stand at Little Big Horn. The Mayor hoped to buy dozens of artifacts from the "Custer Battlefield Trading Post", spending almost $200,000. But the items were never delivered.

Now Mayor Reed is targeting the owner, James "Putt" Thompson with a lawsuit.

Fred Clark of the Harrisburg Authority Board:
"These are some of the pitfalls that go into creating economic development opportunities; be it a hotel, be it a parking garage, be it a museum"

But "Putt" Thompson says he had a deal to sell the city $283,000 of merchandise and he won't refund the money or release the items until he's paid in full.

"They shook hands, on a $283,000 deal. They waited a year and a half to cancel part of that, that's not right"

City Councilwoman Linda Thompson, who never supported the idea of a Wild West Museum, does support the Mayor's effort to get the money back.

Linda Thompson of the Harrisburg City Council:
"Now we gotta pay to fight a lawsuit, and whether we win or not the fact of the matter is we're spending extra money that could be used somewhere else"

The head of the Harrisburg Authority Board, which originally approved Mayor Reed's spending on old west artifacts, predicts the lawsuit will eventually be settled.

"Knowing the mayor and negotiating with these types of transactions, it's always gonna be in the best interests of the city"

But dealing with "Putt" Thompson won't be easy.

"I don't see how I can back down now - they're calling me a thief"

In February, the Mayor announced plans for the Wild West Museum would be put on hold. At the same time he announced the city would begin a comprehensive tourism plan funded by the sale of many of those old west artifacts.

wrightchr May 22, 2004 10:09 AM

this is pretty interesting...since i'm in the army national guard and much of my time is spent at the Gap training. this deal makes sense to me, especially sine i'm also an avid outdoorsman. 1,800 acres is A LOT of land.
http://www.whptv.com/news/local/stor...E-3FC6C48C4B47

<b>Land Swap Proposal</b>

The National Guard proposed buying 1,800 acres of land near the Dehart Reservoir from the Harrisburg Water Authority, and then swapping that parcel of land for game lands bordering Fort Indiantown Gap.

The Guard says it needs the land to expand bombing ranges, and the swap would also help sportsmen.

Lt. Col. Chris Cleaver, Ft. Indiantown Gap:
“This land swap will involve adjoining gameland 211 with 21 and make the largest gameland in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Some residents have reservations.

Tom McKinney of Mt. Joy:
“What are the plans, not just for now, but for the future, also is there something that could happen five years from now or something in the future that'll have a negative impact?”

A final decision about the potential land swap is still several months away.

wrightchr May 22, 2004 10:18 AM

Dave you were on the city website earlier and I can't believe you didn't post this...your slipping man! I'm like all hyped up now...this project looks very worthwhile.
http://www.harrisburgpa.gov/pressRel...banStudio.html

<b>MAYOR REED ANNOUNCES FORMATION OF HARRISBURG URBAN STUDIO TASK FORCE</b>
Harrisburg, PA—Inspired by the Auburn University College of Architecture’s Rural Studio, Harrisburg Mayor Stephen R. Reed today announced the formation of the Harrisburg Urban Studio Task Force to help improve the City’s neighbor-hoods with architecture.

In 1993 a group of Auburn architecture professors led by Samuel Mockbee founded the Rural Studio as a way to improve community and living conditions in Alabama’s poorest rural counties while providing architecture students with a practical design-build learning environment.

Mayor Reed said the goal is to now apply the Rural Studio’s philosophy to an urban setting. “Through architecture, Auburn University’s students and professors have vastly improved the communities and lives of people in one of the country’s poorest regions. This is a concept that can be applied anywhere,” he said.

During a televised panel discussion following the April 7 airing of “The Rural Studio Film,” on WITF-TV, Mayor Reed offered a challenge to leaders in the architectural design-build community.

“They were asked to help us create the Harrisburg Urban Studio and improve neighborhoods in the state capital,” Mayor Reed said. “Thanks to their initially expressed interest, we have now formed the Harrisburg Urban Studio Task Force.”

The Task Force consists of Bruce Lindsey, head of the Rural Studio at Auburn University; Dianne Nicholas, Associate Professor of Architecture, Temple University; Caru Bowns, PhD, Assistant Professor of Landscape Architecture, Penn State University; Luis Rico-Gutierrez, Associate Head of the School of Architecture at Carnegie Mellon University; Anthony Viscardi, Associate Professor of Architecture, Lehigh University; Brad Guy, Associate Director of the Hamer Center for Community Design Assistance at Penn State University; David Morrison, Assistant to the President, Harrisburg Area Community College; and Terri Martini, Director of the City of Harrisburg’s Department of Building and Housing Development.

The architectural leaders on the task force will combine their talents and ideas to form strategies for the Harrisburg Urban Studio, which is a part of Mayor Reed’s Harrisburg Urban Studio Initiative program. Robert Philbin, Director of the Harrisburg Urban Initiative and a noted midstate business executive will serve as the coordinator of the task force.

For more information regarding the Harrisburg Urban Initiative or Mayor Reed’s Urban Studio, please contact Nathan Pigott at (717) 975.2148, npigott@hershyphilbin.com, or visit the Hershey Philbin Associates newsroom at www.hersheyphilbin.com.

EastSideHBG May 22, 2004 2:11 PM

Hey that's pretty cool!!! I totally missed that one, Chris, thanks for posting. I think I am going to post this one in the Southern section for Randy Sandford, who is a big fan of Auburn. :)

EastSideHBG May 22, 2004 2:15 PM

Make intersection safer now, woman urges

Saturday, May 22, 2004
BY DANIEL VICTOR
For The Patriot-News

During her 10 years living at 1901 Market St., Cassandra James said, she has suffered through 14 vehicles running the red light on the traffic signal outside her house and swerving onto her property.

One ran up a short bank and onto her front porch, two have hit the corner of her house, and several have hit the retaining wall she built to keep the intruders out.

"They can't see the stoplight," she said, pointing at the roughly 12-foot-tall traffic signal on the corner of 19th and Market streets.

She has jumped through all the legal hoops she can, she said, but hasn't seen the results she wants: A traffic signal suspended over the intersection and signs alerting motorists of the light ahead.

To call attention to the trouble spot, James and members of the Association of Community Organizations for Reform, known as ACORN, are taking to the streets. They are planning to block the intersection at 1 p.m. today.

Their goal is to stay until City Engineer Joseph Link meets with them to resolve the issue.

Link said the intersection will get a hanging traffic signal, but it may take some time.

"That project is already approved, already funded, already under design," he said. "It's just a matter of time."

The new signal should come in about a year, with signals on Maclay Street scheduled for installation first, followed by some on Market.

About $2.5 million dollars will be spent on improving traffic signals in more than 20 intersections in the city, with the devices costing $100,000 to $125,000 apiece.

Residents say the 19th and Market streets' intersection needs to be improved sooner. It's a high-traffic area, a few blocks from Bishop McDevitt High School and several other elementary schools, James said.

James knows the improvements are planned, but wants the new signal installed now.

"I think human lives have priority," she said.

For now, James, a foster mother who at times has had three to five children live with her, still can't help but repeatedly look at the traffic.

"I don't let my kids come out here," she said. "I don't even like them on the porch."

In fact, James says she is moving to Florida soon. But she said she wants to make a final stand.

"I don't feel like getting in a big battle I can't finish," she said, "but I would like one last gut punch before I go."

EastSideHBG May 22, 2004 2:18 PM

Ah yes, yet another bank trying to conquer the world!!! The fast gorwth rate is not a good thing IMO. Sometimes a business can just grow too fast, and this creates a somewhat chaotic atmosphere and the customers/services get lost in the shuffle.

Commerce Bank plans more growth

Saturday, May 22, 2004
BY BILL SULON
Of The Patriot-News

Commerce Bank/Harrisburg plans to build three branches this year and four more next year as it aims to double the number of offices it operates and more than triple its deposits by 2009.

The expansion will take place through construction, not acquisitions.

"We don't try to buy anyone else's junk and remodel it," Gary Nalbandian, chairman and CEO, said at the bank's annual meeting yesterday at the Radisson Penn Harris Hotel & Convention Center in East Pennsboro Twp.

Commerce Bank, the retail banking unit of Pennsylvania Commerce Bancorp, expects to open branches this year in York, Lebanon and Reading. The bank has 23 offices and $937 million in deposits. It plans to have 54 offices and $3.4 billion in deposits by 2009.

Over the next several years, Commerce plans to add more branches in the Harrisburg, Mechanicsburg and Middletown areas, "and then we start to look at the world," Nalbandian said.

He explained that the world, from Commerce's standpoint, includes Lancaster and State College.

Commerce Bank shares the same business model as its larger affiliate, Commerce Bancorp Inc. in Cherry Hill, N.J. The banks have the same red "C" logo, advertising campaign and architectural firm, InterArch, which is owned by Shirley Hill, wife of Vernon Hill, chairman and CEO of Commerce Bancorp in New Jersey.

Vernon Hill and his business affiliates are the largest shareholder in Pennsylvania Commerce Bancorp, with a 14 percent stake.

Neither bank grows through acquisitions, Nalbandian said after the meeting. Instead, they build branches after researching the targeted areas and the deposit shares of nearby competitors, he said.

Starting June 1, investors who buy Pennsylvania Commerce Bancorp stock through the bank's stock-purchase plan will be eligible to buy shares valued up to $5,000 every month at a 3 percent discount. Currently, investors can buy stock through the program once every three months.

EastSideHBG May 23, 2004 2:50 PM

Pretty neat when you think about how far our paper has come. There is no denying the quality of it went way up over the last few years. There was a time when the stories weren't accurate, were terribly written, there wasn't much in the paper, etc. Not anymore!!! :tup:

Paper accumulates statewide honors

Array includes 2nd win by reporter of PNA Distinguished Writing Award

Sunday, May 23, 2004
BY ELIZABETH GIBSON
Of The Patriot-News

The Patriot-News eclipsed the state's largest newspapers, garnering more journalism awards this year than any other paper in its division, including the award for best writer in the state.

The Harrisburg-based newspaper won a combined 24 awards in two of the state's most-prestigious journalism competitions.

The Patriot-News picked up the Division I Sweepstakes Award at the Pennsylvania Newspaper Association Keystone Press Awards banquet in State College last night. The honor goes to the newspaper that earns the most awards in its division.

On Friday night, Patriot-News reporters, editors and photographers accepted awards for excellence in the 2004 Pennsylvania Associated Press Managing Editors Writing and Photo Awards competition.

In both competitions, Patriot-News stories, photos and design were pitted against The Philadelphia Inquirer and The Pittsburgh Post Gazette, which have larger staffs than The Patriot-News.

Patriot-News staff writer Jim Lewis won PNA's Distinguished Writing Award, a distinction he previously captured in 2001. Lewis gripped judges with stories on everyday people in trying circumstances, describing their dilemmas in a style that allowed readers to imagine their suffering.

"We're the smallest paper in that category. It's just a reflection of the kind of paper we now have and the paper we give our readers every day," said John Kirkpatrick, Patriot-News publisher.

Kirkpatrick and some of the paper's editors, reporters and photographers basked in last night's accolades at The Penn Stater Conference Center Hotel.

"Some papers do stories that they think will win awards. I'm not knocking that. One reason I'm delighted that we won the sweepstakes award this year is because we think a lot, not about contests, but about stories readers are really interested in," said David Newhouse, The Patriot-News executive editor.

"The stories that won for us are exactly those kinds of stories," he said.

For instance, a story about the mystifying murder of Randi Trimble, an East Pennsboro woman whose husband and his co-worker were eventually convicted in her death, won first place in the ongoing news category for staff writers Pete Shellem, Joe Elias, Matt Miller, Jerry Gleason, Frank Cozzoli and Daniel Sheehan.

A 17-year Patriot-News reporter, Lewis won best writer in the state based on a portfolio of stories, including his narrative of Margaret Sharar, whose cookies were legendary before she died at 83. Lewis revealed a fantastic twist in his story and forever sealed the New Cumberland woman's baking reputation. Her family, Lewis wrote, had buried Sharar's cremated remains in her cookie jar.

"I think what I do best is listen, and I end up getting something I didn't think I'd get going into a story," Lewis said.

The Patriot-News took seven first-place Keystone honors, six second-place awards and won an honorable mention for news-beat reporting.

John Curley, former president, chairman and CEO of Gannett Co. and USA Today's first editor, said The Patriot-News' seven, strategically placed bureaus generate thorough news coverage for the paper's readers.

Patriot-News' stories about traffic problems on Interstate 81 and worries about West Nile in the midstate represent diligent daily journalism.

"I think many judges look at how a paper does day in and day out," Curley said.

The Patriot-News also does a better job than any paper in the state, he said, at unearthing local readers' connections to national events, often interviewing residents from four or five counties to do so.

Three years ago, the 150-year-old Patriot-News got a new look when the production department moved from Harrisburg to a $60 million Hampden Twp. facility, which housed a new Goss Colorliner press.

Curley said the paper's look "sort of came together in a graphic sense," with eye-catching promotional boxes on the front page.

Photo production is sharper, too.

Keystone judges bestowed awards on photos from photographers Amiran White and Gary Dwight-Miller.

Photos from White and Christopher Millette also drew 2004 Pennsylvania APME honors.

Newhouse noted that the numerous awards aren't for work from a small group of celebrity journalists.

"You don't win this many awards unless everyone in the newsroom is pulling together every day to do good work," he said.

wrightchr May 24, 2004 1:12 PM

you know...i still critique the patriot for not being a top newspaper but maybe they have improved somewhat over the years. i still think harrisburg needs another daily/sunday newspaper to compete with them though. better competition will lead to better news IMO. it can only be a good thing. there is room for expansion and another paper...the patriot sells something like 250,000 daily and nearly 400,000 sunday papers. that's a pretty big subscription rate IMO, although i'm not sure how it would compare to the post-gazette or the philly newspapers.

EastSideHBG May 26, 2004 3:54 PM

I really like the Patriot, but I do think it could use a little competition. Want to start something with me, Chris? ;)

EastSideHBG May 26, 2004 4:02 PM

So this is where my tax money is going!!! I sure hope the kids who go there appreciate what they have. When I was there we had NO A/C, the auditorium was falling apart (it was actually condemned a year or so after I graduated), we were JAMMED into the classrooms (if I remember correctly, we were 300+ kids over the maximum limit my senior yr.), etc.

Ladies and gentleman, I bring you Cumberland Valley East. ;)

New CD High School has TV studio, 2 gyms

Wednesday, May 26, 2004
BY KELLY BOTHUM
Of The Patriot-News

The new Central Dauphin High School in West Hanover Twp. looks, smells and feels just that -- new.

The scent of paint hangs near office doors freshly trimmed in Ram green. There are no scratches, dings or warped-metal bubbles along the rows of lockers lining the halls. The media center includes space for 60 computers and a television studio.

It's attractive, but without a crush of students wandering through the nearly finished classrooms, cafeteria and stairwells, the building seems a bit naked.

That will change in August, when 1,959 students walk through the doors to usher in the new era of Central Dauphin High School. The old high school in Lower Paxton Twp. will become Central Dauphin Middle School.

"It already feels like Central Dauphin High School," Principal Richard Mazzatesta said as he toured the school yesterday with school officials.

"The kids want to come here as badly as the rest of us," he added.

Construction of the school began in October 2002 after years of talk about replacing the old high school, built in 1955. Overcrowding has been a problem at Central Dauphin and East high schools for years.

But plans for the new school were delayed a year by the board's switch from having three high schools in the district to two high schools.

The West Hanover Twp. school is expected to cost $53.3 million, including construction, contingencies, architect fees and furniture. Construction alone is expected to run $39.5 million.

The new Central Dauphin, slated to be completed by Aug. 15, includes more than 100 classrooms, a 1,000-seat auditorium and two gyms, the larger with seating for 2,000 people.

The cafeteria, with space for almost 600 students, will include round tables and cooking stations fashioned with a "grab-and-go" theme.

The two-story building boasts sweeping views of nearby hills, including floor-to-ceiling windows in the media center and cafeteria.

Visitors to the school must enter through the school office. Cameras will be placed inside and outside.

In case of emergency, Bramer said, the school can be locked down.

Similar upgrades are underway at Central Dauphin East High School, which is in the middle of a $21.96-million renovation and addition project, expected to be completed this fall.

"Programs at both schools were built to be 100 percent identical," said Gail Bramer, the district's clerk of the works.

About 5 percent of the district's 12,000 pupils ended up in different high school boundaries because of the projects.

Superintendent Barbara Hasson said in the past about 55 percent of the district's high school students attended Central Dauphin, with the rest at East High School.

Hasson said students at both high schools whose attendance boundary changed were given the option of staying at their old school.

Those with eighth- grade siblings had the same opportunity. About 200 students were affected by these options, but the district is determining how many students opted to move to their new school.

Some parents have complained about the attendance boundaries, saying the changes are creating racially and socioeconomically unbalanced high schools.

wrightchr May 26, 2004 8:37 PM

Quote:

Some parents have complained about the attendance boundaries, saying the changes are creating racially and socioeconomically unbalanced high schools.
Dave, did you think this was true when you were going there? It seems to me that all the suburban kids will be going to the new school and the mostly urban areas will feed into East. I think I would have preferred the three high school option...which would have really broken things up and not developed these freakin EDUCATIONAL PARKS that make kids numbers and not real students.

On a side note...I would be happy to join you in the crusade to run the Patriot-News out of business by starting our own brand :)

shakman May 27, 2004 3:46 AM

Dave,

How is that new office tower coming along? Any pics of construction?

How about the other proposals and construction in Downtown?

EastSideHBG May 27, 2004 2:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrightchr
Dave, did you think this was true when you were going there? It seems to me that all the suburban kids will be going to the new school and the mostly urban areas will feed into East. I think I would have preferred the three high school option...which would have really broken things up and not developed these freakin EDUCATIONAL PARKS that make kids numbers and not real students.

Oh it's definitely true. The funny thing is if I was still in HS, I would be going to East now, even though I am MUCH closer to the new school. Yet the neighborhood right over the hill from me will be at the new school. My neighborhood is mostly lower/middle middle-class and the one over the hill from me is upper-class. Hmmm...funny, isn't it?

Did you know that the NAACP got involved last year when the district was drawing the new lines? A group of parents noticed that kids with higher test scores were going to the new school and kids with the lower scores were going to East, even though the same kids once went to the opposite school. Needless to say, the district was forced to make some changes.

I too think a 3rd HS would've been a better option. I don't like the fact that you will now have kids coming from an urban and semi-urban environment and putting them in a more rural setting. At CD we could walk to a lot of things and you felt like you were part of the whole in the community; it's location kept you connected. Many of us came from the dense neighborhoods in the Colonial Park area. Now you want to put these same kids on the busy intersection that is Linglestown/Piketown Rd.? Doens't make much sense to me....

I also think they should have demolished the current CD HS and rebuilt on that spot. Why not? We all know that building is in shambles, and it will have to be done somtime.

Quote:

On a side note...I would be happy to join you in the crusade to run the Patriot-News out of business by starting our own brand :)
Oh I don't want to run them out of business, I just want to give them some friendly (yet fierce) competition. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakman
Dave,

How is that new office tower coming along? Any pics of construction?

How about the other proposals and construction in Downtown?

I took some pics weeks ago of the construction, and I am going to be doing a progress thread on it soon. In the meantime, take a look at mrherodotus' thread in City Photos. You can see some of the progress in a few of them:

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/...threadid=43008

As for other projects, there is quite a bit going on. As things would develop I would post the info. on here, so run a search and see what is still out there. But from now on this thread will be your best resource so check back often. :)

EastSideHBG May 27, 2004 2:17 PM

More good news for HIA!!! Man, things just keep getting better and better around here:

FAA chief to deliver funds for HIA work

Thursday, May 27, 2004
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

Marion C. Blakey, administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration, will tour the terminal under construction at Harrisburg International Airport today, bringing with her some federal money for the airport and state.

Blakey will present a check for $11.2 million to the Susquehanna Area Regional Airport Authority, which owns and operates HIA in Lower Swatara Twp. and Capital City Airport in Fairview Twp.

Most of that money -- $10.3 million -- is earmarked for HIA's $222 million expansion project, according to FAA spokesman Jim Peters.

The check is one installment in the $108 million in federal funding for the project, which includes a new, larger terminal and apron, a parking garage, a navigational system and Amtrak train station.

HIA officials have billed the new terminal as the first in the country designed and built with post-Sept. 11 security considerations in mind.

Capital City Airport will get $930,700, Peters added.

Blakey also will present state transportation officials with $11.7 million, representing Pennsylvania's federal aviation block grant for 2004, Peters said.

HIA officials reported to the authority board yesterday that passenger traffic at the airport was up 14.8 percent last month when compared to April 2003. So far this year, traffic is up 6.5 percent when compared to the same period in 2003.

"The 117,839 passengers that chose HIA last month made April 2004 the busiest April since 1999 and the fourth-busiest April ever," Aviation Director Fred Testa said.

He attributed the increase to more flights into and out of the airport.

The HIA numbers compare to a national increase in passenger traffic of 10.2 percent in April and a 4.6 percent increase so far this year, according to airport officials.

The board awarded a contract for the sole right to pick up taxi passengers at HIA to American Taxi of Harrisburg.

"We've had too many instances over the past two years when arriving passengers have had to wait long periods of time for taxicab service from the airport," Testa said. "A taxicab driver from any company is still allowed to drop off passengers at the airport. However, only drivers from American Taxi will be allowed to pick up passengers and transport them from the airport."

Last year, an estimated 21,000 cab trips were made from the airport, with an average fare of $24, HIA spokesman Scott Miller said. Under American Taxi's contract, the same amount of traffic at that average fare would bring the airport $35,000 in revenue, he said.

There were two other bidders for the taxi contract, but neither met all the requirements listed in the request for proposals, Miller said.

The board announced that six car-rental companies -- Hertz, Avis, Budget, National, Enterprise and Thrifty -- will have contracts to operate concessions in the new parking garage, which is scheduled to open in late summer.

Dollar and Alamo rental cars also will be available, but their pickup and drop-off locations will not be on airport property.

The authority also awarded a contract not to exceed $353,500 to Stewart Stevenson Power Inc. of Houston for a runway snow broom vehicle.

EastSideHBG May 27, 2004 2:30 PM

:tup:

Regional marketing to begin

New slogan helps promote best attributes of midstate
Thursday, May 27, 2004
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

Think "Where's the Beef," "Like a Rock" or "King of Beers."

Now think of a catchy slogan to promote south-central Pennsylvania, which includes 1.7 million people living in Adams, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Lancaster, Lebanon, Perry and York counties.

How about "The Smart Market."

That's the slogan Southcentral Team Pennsylvania dramatically unveiled yesterday in the darkened Sunoco Performance Theater at Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts in Harrisburg as a shower of green and blue balloons descended from the ceiling.

What's so smart about this region?

To start with, answers David Schankweiler, president and CEO of Journal Publications, the region has more than 20 colleges and universities and a superior highway and rail infrastructure.

"This is a very exciting region. We need to believe that first and then shout it to the world," Schankweiler said at the unveiling.

To do that, Southcentral Team Pennsylvania, which is a public-private partnership devoted to the region's economic development, has about $90,000 left from $150,000 in a state grant and matching funds, said David Black, president and CEO of the Harrisburg Regional Chamber.

"We want to target some specific industries and go after them," Black said.

The first opportunity to do that with the new slogan and logo will be at a biotechnology show in San Francisco June 5-10, Black said. The Milton S. Hershey Medical Center attracts biotechnology companies to the region, he noted.

Other targeted industries include technology services and advanced manufacturing. "All the [region's] counties have core strengths in those," he said.

The team also will be looking for additional funding to support the marketing effort.

To develop the region's first brand name, Southcentral Team Pennsylvania hired the Harrisburg marketing agency Sacunas & Saline.

The firm researched branding efforts in other parts of the country, conducted focus groups and interviewed national site-selection specialists and local business and community leaders, according to Bob McNary, executive director of the Lebanon Valley Economic Development Corp.

"I guess it's no surprise they found there was great economic diversity in the region," which presents a marketing challenge, he said.

When companies search for a site, they don't care about municipal boundaries, McNary noted. Instead, they care about factors such as the work force, transportation systems, utilities, research and educational opportunities and business services.

Economic development officials in the eight counties said yesterday they will use "The Smart Market" concept while continuing their own marketing efforts.

The brand "presents a vision for this region to go out and promote itself," said Skip Memmi, deputy director of the Dauphin County Department of Community and Economic Development. "We will partner into this branding effort and also continue to do individually what is necessary to be successful."

W. Douglas Wendt, director of the Cumberland County Office of Economic Development, explained that "no single brand sells a region. A brand is a cornerstone for a strategy.

"The Smart Market gives us a brand that helps us have a common theme while we also are focusing on the distinctiveness of each county," Wendt said.

Memmi said that "in some respects, it is a friendly competition to promote each county, [but] without this region you don't bring in national concerns."

Black predicted the counties will rely on the regional brand for the more expensive national marketing efforts.

EastSideHBG May 27, 2004 2:31 PM

City plans office of Latino Affairs

Thursday, May 27, 2004
BY DIANA FISHLOCK
Of The Patriot-News

Harrisburg will soon have a council and an office of Latino Affairs, the mayor announced yesterday.

The council will serve as an advisory board to city government, said Mayor Stephen R. Reed, who also hopes it will galvanize the Latino community. "I need a vehicle to bring together the diverse elements of the Hispanic community for one common cause," he explained.

The council will have 11-13 members representing the city's diverse Latino population, which hails from Puerto Rico, Spain and several Central and South American countries, Reed said.

The office will consist of one staff member, probably housed at the Mount Pleasant Hispanic American Center. Both the council and the office should be working by mid-summer, he said.

There is no African-American council or office because they are very well represented in city government, said Reed. All of the members of the city council are black.

/\
Which I disagree with, but what are you going to do....

EastSideHBG May 27, 2004 2:33 PM

Pretty nice of these guys!!!

Members of blink-182 lend a hand as painters of the state

The Patriot-News
Thursday, May 27, 2004
BY BARRY FOX
Of The Patriot-News

Mention the band blink-182 and jokey music videos done in the nude, tattoos, body piercings and catchy pop punk are what come to mind.

Community service probably is not on the list.

But there the California trio -- known for albums such as 1999's "Enema Of The State" -- was yesterday afternoon "helping" paint a nearly completed Habitat for Humanity house on 13th Street in Harrisburg.

While drummer Travis Barker sat in a folding chair eating a burrito -- he's on crutches and wearing a cast after foot surgery -- guitarist Tom DeLonge and bassist Mark Hoppus got to work with the white paint.

It was DeLonge's first-ever painting project. He was using the "Karate Kid" as the inspiration for his brush strokes.

"I usually paint unicorns and leprechauns," he said. "That's not needed here, but it's always an option."

Even though Hoppus is an experienced painter, after working on his home in San Diego, he had to put his brush down to talk.

"I'm not that good," he said. This program "is awesome, really cool. We're stoked to be a part of it."

The band was in the area for a show at the Star Pavilion in Hershey last night.

Its home improvement trip was the first for "Raise The Roof," a partnership between Clear Channel Entertainment and Habitat for Humanity.

Clear Channel is the promoter for the summer concert series at Hersheypark Stadium and the Star Pavilion.

Habitat for Humanity provides homes for people in need using volunteers to keep mortgage payments low.

Homeowners are required to invest 350 hours of "sweat equity" working in Habitat for Humanity's local office or on their own or other Habitat homes.

Kimberly Bowron, Clear Channel's vice-president of corporate culture and philanthropy, said five artists will work on homes through "Raise The Roof" on cross-country tours this summer.

What made this house unique -- besides blink-182's visit -- is that WHP-TV 21, Lowe's, Clear Channel Broadcasting (WHP's owner) and Habitat joined forces to build it in 21 days.

The foundation, framing, roofing, plumbing and electrical work have been done since May 7. The house will be turned over to its owner, Veronica Rice, tomorrow.

John Neumann, Habitat's construction manager, said this type of project would normally take three to six months.

But, with two crews of contractors and volunteers working nearly nonstop, Rice and her son Derrick will get the keys to their home three weeks after the project started.

"It's overwhelming," Rice said. "It's been a really humbling experience."

After painting four doors (as well as being mildly scolded for getting paint on the hinges), posing for pictures with Rice and the volunteers who worked on the house, the members of blink-182 were gone about 40 minutes after arriving.

Barker had a doctor's appointment to change his cast and there was a show to prepare for last night.

It was a short but apparently moving visit.

"It's cool to do something for people," DeLonge said. "We usually tear down the good things people instill in their children."

wrightchr May 27, 2004 3:14 PM

Great articles Dave :) I especially like the new marketing idea for the region. I think it will pay off! Blink 182 was in town painting houses??? NUTS:nuts:

EastSideHBG May 27, 2004 5:40 PM

I agree. I wish I would've known they were here. I would've snuck away from work and grabbed some pics or something....

wrightchr May 28, 2004 3:52 AM

<b>Irresponsibility on stormwater </b>
Wednesday, May 26, 2004

This week the state Department of General Services receives proposals to build a hotel on the north parking lot of the Farm Show Complex. Will it exercise stormwater stewardship, or will it continue stormwater irresponsibility?

In requesting proposals for the future hotel, the DGS and its partners, the Department of Agriculture and the City of Harrisburg, did not require the bidders to consider any onsite infiltration of stormwater, despite being advised of the need by Paxton Creek Watershed and Education Association, and others. It is ironic that some state agencies, the departments of Environmental Protection and Conservation and Natural Resources, promote desirable, alternative techniques of stormwater management, while others ignore the need, as with the addition to the Farm Show Complex two years ago.

The association strongly supports economic redevelopment, particularly along Cameron Street. However, it must be done responsibly. Granted, flooding of Paxton Creek in Harrisburg is a major impact of development in municipalities upstream, but those downstream must do their part. The association has planned dozens of projects to promote stormwater infiltration and to help reduce upstream runoff.

How can we expect sympathy and support in upstream communities when the DGS and others ignore the issues and build structures that worsen the situation?

It is time for the DGS to cooperate by requiring Low Impact Development stormwater management techniques. If it starts doing this with the proposed hotel, we will be proud to recognize them as partners in stormwater stewardship. If not, just the contrary.

E. DRANNON BUSKIRK JR.

President, Paxton Creek Watershed and Education Association Harrisburg

wrightchr May 28, 2004 4:02 AM

oh my god...i had to post this Dave! lol

Verbal pollutants
Wednesday, May 26, 2004

I have no doubt there is some global warming. I do, however, disagree with the "experts" on the chief cause.

Most "experts" blame this global warming on fossil fuel pollution. Toward this end, we have numerous means to contain or eliminate these so-called emissions.

On our automobiles, we have emission controls that burn these pollutants. On coal-fired generating plants, we have a number of controls; from filters to some type of washing of the plant's discharge.

All of these control methods are good and helpful, but do not address the biggest polluters of all.

It is my humble and unscientific opinion that the biggest cause of any global warming is pollution. However, it is not caused by using fossil fuel.

The largest factor is the verbal pollution coming out of our duly elected officials in Washington. If you listened to any of the committee meetings in Washington on the 9-11 tragedy or the prisoners in Iraq, you will know what I mean.

The hot air-verbal pollutants were audible as Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., and Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., tried to blame the American troops for anything and everything.

Sen. James Imhofe, R-Okla., seemed to furnish the emissions control that the other two surely needed.

If we could get some safety devices on these hot air bags to keep the gases from escaping and sending their pollution into the sky, we could contain or reduce global warming. Get rid of fossil fuel and fossil windbags in Washington, and we will have cleaner air.

JOSEPH L. THEURER SR.
Harrisburg

wrightchr May 28, 2004 4:19 AM

here's another one for you...i like reading what other people have to say about these issues.

<b>Light rail, bicycles offer alternatives </b>
Saturday, May 22, 2004

All of the solutions the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation has come up with to ease the congestion and limit the effects of accidents in the area will not work, and some would cause more accidents.

A transportation management center, while better coordinating emergency response, would not solve the problem of crashes.

The highway advisory radio system would not be helpful unless people entering the area get the message in time to make better decisions.

Message boards will cause more accidents, as people crane their necks to see what is blocked where as they zoom past at 85 miles per hour three feet from the next car. And widening the roads would only encourage reliance on the automobile as a transportation system.

Why not encourage people to leave their cars at home? Build light rail to the suburbs and encourage people to use it. Build bicycle lanes and provide incentives for companies to provide showers for workers and bike parking on the premises.

This would free up valuable road space for the people who really need it; emergency personnel trying to save lives.

It's not right that children are born in traffic jams when most of those cars are filled with only one person going somewhere that could be easily serviced by light rail or bicycling.

PennDOT has been trying to solve traffic problems using brute force for years with little success. I think the time has come to try a few more elegant solutions.

PAUL ROTHROCK
Harrisburg

wrightchr May 28, 2004 4:32 AM

i'm all for this....i think this deal give the Army more space it needs, provides more land and links the current game lands in norhtern Dauphin and Lebanon counties, and preserves the topography of the area while changing the boundaries of the base. i'm an avid outdoorsman and i've actually hunted on portions of this land and fished most of stony creek when i was younger. i don't want to see this area ruined and i don't think it ever will be by letting the area become buffer zone for the Gap ranges. i think this can be a win/win situation for all parties involved. you might not really be interested in this Dave, but i thought i would post it anyway...lol. :)

<b>FORT INDIANTOWN GAP

Hunters criticize proposed land swap
</b>
Friday, May 21, 2004

BY AL WINN
Of Our Lebanon Bureau

FORT INDIANTOWN GAP - For the Pennsylvania National Guard, a proposed land swap with the Pennsylvania Game Commission and Harrisburg Water Authority is part of a fight to keep the Fort Indiantown Gap military reservation open and viable as a training base.

But for some area hunters and outdoorsmen, the proposal that would turn 1,800 acres of game lands on the north side of Second Mountain over to the National Guard would be an incursion on treasured landscape.

"This land is sacred to a lot of people," said Clyde Herr, of Union Twp., at a public meeting at Fort Indiantown Gap last night. About 40 people attended to ask questions and voice concerns.

The proposed three-way deal would involve the National Guard buying 1,800 acres of DeHart Reservoir watershed from the Harrisburg Water Authority and turning it over to the Game Commission. In turn, the commission would give up a six-mile strip of land along the north side of Second Mountain between Cold Spring Road and the Middle Paxton Twp. line. A bit more than half the land would be in Dauphin County.

National Guard officials said they need the land for a safety buffer for expanding firing ranges on the south side of Second Mountain. Tanks and artillery using the ranges shoot parallel to the ridge, but there is a chance of shells ricocheting over the mountain, they said.

Guard officials said they are trying to cram as many training activities as possible onto the 17,000-acre base to keep it viable. Fort Indiantown Gap, Lebanon County's largest employer, came close to closing after a Base Realignment and Closing Commission decided the U.S. Army would pull out of the facility.

"The future didn't look so good in 1995," said Guard spokesman Lt. Col. Chris Cleaver.

The buffer zone the Guard wants would extend down the north slope of Second Mountain to just short of Stony Creek. The land would not change under National Guard ownership, officials said. "The slope of second mountain today is the way it will be in the future," Cleaver said.

Guard officials said they would allow hunters and others access in the same way they allow access to other Gap land. But as with other National Guard land, it could be closed to the public to accommodate training activities, some hunters pointed out.

The western portion of the buffer zone might never be closed, base commander Col. Ray Hulings said. But the eastern portion, nearest Cold Spring Road, could be closed as much as half the time, Cleaver said. An effort would be made to keep it open during big-game hunting seasons.

The land the Guard wants would not include Stony Creek, the nearby rail trail, or the historic ruins at Cold Spring. Some who could accept that the current proposal probably wouldn't affect recreational possibilities in the game lands worried the Guard might not stop with this acquisition.

"How long is it going to be before tanks come into the [Stony Creek] valley?" Dennis Ibberson asked.

In the other part of the three-way deal, the land the Game Commission would get from Harrisburg could link Game Lands 211 and 210, thereby creating the largest game-lands area in the state, Game Commission officials have said.

Guard officials said the proposal is still in its early stages, and none of the three entities has approved the deal.

"We're going to keep right on pushing for new programs," Cleaver said.

AL WINN: 272-3759 or awinn@patriot-news.com

EastSideHBG May 28, 2004 1:08 PM

I'm interested in everything around here, Chris. ;)

As for the editorial on the LRT and bicycle, I TOTALLY agree!!!

Check this out. We are finally getting some national attention!!! :carrot:

Harrisburg Region Featured In National Magazine

Thursday May 27, 2004 3:47pm
Posted By: Katie McCarthy

Consumer Center - The June issue of Money magazine says our region is a place industries need to consider. Couple that with a just announced regional marketing plan and we look to be pretty competitive for jobs. "What is it about south central Pennsylvania. Is it our historic towns, national parks or stunning landscapes of mountains, rivers and farmland?"

There is a DVD presentation that companies all over the country will be receiving. It links our eight counties together in a "smart market" because local chamber of commerce leaders say that's what it takes to be competitive. David Black/President Harrisburg Regional Chamber, "Companies quite frankly don't care whether it's Lancaster County or Dauphin County or Cumberland County. I mean they want to locate in a part of a state with certain transportation amenities." Or - "Is it how very close we are to major metropolitan hubs of the northeast like Washington DC, Baltimore, New York and Philadelphia? You just can't position yourself as one county, one city. You have to do something a little broader and it is a global market place."

In the June issue, Money magazine recognizes the potential of the Harrisburg region - naming it one of the top three up and coming regions in the whole country. "That kind of earned media is wonderful for a region and it is Harrisburg, PA but it is obviously the region." About one point seven million people live in our eight county region. That is certainly a large enough group to support most or any job creating industry.

EDIT: This story came from www.abc27.com

wrightchr May 28, 2004 2:05 PM

woohoo :) :tup:

EastSideHBG May 29, 2004 2:15 PM

Owner plans transformation of restaurant

Saturday, May 29, 2004
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

It's time for 5:01 Downtown to close, owner Ron Kamionka says.

But the Harrisburg restaurant renowned for its fresh fish won't be dark for long, and the corner of Walnut and Second streets will retain the New Orleans flavor of 5:01.

While the eatery will close on June 5, Bourbon Street Station, a new establishment under the same ownership, will open on the site the following Thursday, June 10, Kamionka said.

Bourbon Street Station will open daily at 4 p.m., primarily as a "beverage operation" with a raw bar, he said.

"The profit margins are a lot less in food than in beverages, so I've decided to focus on beverages," Kamionka explained.

Bourbon Street Station also will fit better with Kamionka's other properties, which include Eclipse and the Hardware Bar in Harrisburg and the Hardware Bar and Vertigo dance club in York, he said.

Kamionka also manages NOMA and Mars in downtown Harrisburg and plans to open BD Sports Bar and Cherry Lane Cafe in York on June 15.

5:01 Downtown opened in December 2000, replacing the former Dewey's Dry Dock.

Kamionka sounded almost sentimental yesterday. "5:01 was my first place in downtown Harrisburg," he said. "It's an extremely successful restaurant. ... It's a matter of profit margin."

wrightchr May 30, 2004 3:29 AM

interesting...well i can understand the transformation. selling alcohol is a lot easier than food. have you gone DT or along the riverfront yet this weekend Dave? i went to Artsfest today and took my girlfriend to her first minor league baseball game. she really liked it a lot. i think the city is really growing on her :)

EastSideHBG May 30, 2004 3:12 PM

I haven't been to the Artsfest yet, Chris. I plan on getting down there today, though, because tomorrow is supposed to be a wash out. It never fails: it always rains on Memorial Day. :(

And I'm glad the city is growing on her. Keep up the good work, and continue to spread the word. :)

EastSideHBG May 30, 2004 3:30 PM

AWESOME news!!! And the tables weren't in the online article, so I typed them out. :)

THE RACE FOR SPACE

Demand remains strong for commercial property

Sunday, May 30, 2004
BY DAVID DeKOK
Of The Patriot-News

Overall commercial real estate occupancy rates are approaching 93 percent in the Harrisburg area, the highest level in a decade, according to a quarterly report by Landmark Commercial Realty Vice President Thomas T. Posavec.

Fueled by growing demand for space in all areas of the region, tenants continued to line up for space in both existing buildings and those under construction during the first quarter of the year.

"I just came from a conference in Phoenix," Posavec said. "If two years ago was a 'C,' and one year ago was a 'B,' this year I'd give the business an 'A.' Nationally, things have really picked up big time."

Even so, the growth is not uniform. In Pittsburgh, overall occupancy rates are about 75 percent to 80 percent, Posavec said. He said Harrisburg is fortunate to have a more stable commercial real estate market.

Just about his only cautionary note concerned buildings under construction, such as Market Square Plaza in downtown Harrisburg and a new office building at 4507 N. Front St. in Susquehanna Twp. Posavec said the new construction and the renovation of certain other space might eventually have a "short-term impact" on occupancy levels in the midstate.

He said he was particularly pleased with the West Shore, where the occupancy rate moved up to 95 percent in the first quarter, from 94 percent in the previous quarter. Occupancy of the best Class A space remained at 97 percent, he said. Even so, occupancy rose by 45,300 square feet overall.

One of the big West Shore transactions was acquisition of the former EDS building at 275 Grandview Ave. in Camp Hill by Szeles Real Estate Development Co. of Lower Paxton Twp.

In downtown Harrisburg, occupancy dropped by 6,400 square feet, while occupancy remained at 98 percent in the Class A sector. Class B+ space was the only gainer downtown during the first quarter.

Also creating potential occupancy declines in the future is a decision by Verizon Communications, the state's largest telephone company, to all but abandon its former regional headquarters in the Strawberry Square office complex. Verizon will aim to sublet 80,000 square feet of space beginning later in the summer.

Union sources have said Verizon is moving its work force from leased facilities to sites it owns, such as the former GTE building in Hershey and the building at Second and Pine streets in Harrisburg.

"There is significant state interest in that [Strawberry Square] space," Posavec said. "How many spaces have a food court and easy access to parking garages?"

He said the East Shore business district has "a few pockets of weakness," even though about 9,200 square feet were absorbed by the market during the first quarter.

Class A occupancy remained at 93 percent, where it has stood for the past three quarters.

Overall, Posavec said he would give the first quarter an "A-" grade. "It really couldn't have been a much better quarter," he said.

*The first table would not fit in the space provided. Just use the number to find the appropriate rent per sq. ft. charge. I am surprised at how close the rent is in all of the markets. That must make the competition even tougher, and that sure explains all the commercial building going on around here now.

Occupancy Rates

Midstate office space occupancy rates in %:

Harrisburg 1st Qtr. '04/ 4th qtr. '03/ 1st qtr. '03
1. Class A 98/ 98/ 97
2. Class B+ 92 92 91
3. Class B 88 89 94

East Shore
4. Class A 93 93 92
5. Class B+ 90 87 88
6. Class B 96 96 95
7. Class C 85 88 82

West Shore
8. Class A 97 97 97
9. Class B+ 93 92 92
10. Class B 91 90 89
11. Class C 95 94 93

Rent. per sq. ft.
1. $17 to 22
2. $14 to 16.45
3. $11.95 to 13.50
4. $16.50 to 21
5. $14.95 to 16.35
6. $13 to 14.50
7. $10.50 to 12.75
8. $16.50 to 20
9. $14.75 to 16.25
10. $13 to $14.50
11. $10.95 to 12.75

EastSideHBG May 30, 2004 3:40 PM

Cont'd

Absorbtion Rates

Total square footage absorbed in the 1st qtr. Numbers in parenthesis indicate space that became available and was not leased:

Harrisburg
Class A - (6400)
Class B+ - 8,424
Class B - (13,123)
Class C -
Total - (11,099)

East Shore
Class A - (13,200)
Class B+ - 28,100
Class B - 2,700
Class C - (8,400)
Total - 9,200

West Shore
Class A - 17,000
Class B+ - 9,600
Class B - 15,400
Class C - 3,300
Total - 45,300

Space Breakdown

The market report rates office space in the following categories:
  • Class A - Buildings are modern, top-of-the-line structures that command the highest rents and attract the most upscale tenants.
  • Class B+ - Newer buildings that have been substantially upgraded.
  • Class B - Older buildings with some rennovations and upgrades.
  • Class C - Older buildings that haven't been upgraded.
  • NOTE - The suburbs typically have more Class B+ and Class B space than Class A. Harrisburg has an equal amount of the three classifications.
Damn!!! That makes the competition even crazier I bet. :nuts:

EastSideHBG May 30, 2004 3:44 PM

Here's a related article, so I figured I would post it. Chris and harrisburger, did you guys see the first building they are talking about in this article yet? I am so used to having my attention drawn to the two new ones off of I-81 at the split in LP Township. When I drove by East Park Dr. (near the Sheraton) the other day I was totally blown away. "Holy crap, when did they build that?!?" I find myself saying that a lot these days, and I'm loving it. :)

Family positions businesses for growth

Sunday, May 30, 2004
BY DAVID DeKOK
Of The Patriot-News

You can't say the Szeles family isn't confident about the direction of the U.S. economy.

By the Szeles family we mean Alex R. Szeles, 62, who is the paterfamilias, son of a steelworker and founder of Szeles Real Estate Development Co. and Szeles Building and Leasing Co., both in Lower Paxton Twp.

His son, Rick Szeles, has been managing partner and director of investments for the past 10 years. Brian Szeles, another son, heads Alex R. Szeles Inc., a restoration company. Todd E. Gelbaugh, son-in-law of Alex, heads Mobile X-Ray Imaging Inc., which provides X-rays on wheels at nursing homes in the region.

All the companies this summer will move into a new 25,000-square-foot headquarters building at 945 East Park Drive, across from the Four Points By Sheraton.

-What's more, the real estate companies plan to acquire between 300,000 and 500,000 square feet of office space for the investment portfolio.

"Yes. We're optimistic," Alex Szeles said. "We have seen more activity in the last six to eight months than in the past couple of years. A lot of it has to do with the Bush tax incentives."

Those tax incentives, especially one that accelerated depreciation of capital equipment, were weighted toward corporations and the wealthy in the theory that jobs would then "trickle down" to the general public. Szeles is saying it seems to be working.

"We spent a little over $500,000 we would not have normally spent," he said, referring to purchases of computers and X-ray equipment. "Anyone with a small business would want to take advantage of that. Across the country, it has to be spurring activity."

Among their real estate purchases lately has been the 60,000-square-foot EDS building at 275 Grandview Road in East Pennsboro Twp. Renovations are being made, and a tenant, Liberty Mutual, already has signed up for 20,000 square feet of the space.

"Some of our recent purchases were not on the market," Szeles said. "We went out and knocked on doors."

The only major sale of commercial property the firm has ever made occurred in the late 1990s, when real estate investment trusts, or REITs, were on a buying binge. Szeles sold 400,000 square feet of space because the price offered was irresistible. But it wasn't the majority of their holdings, and the firm is now back to buying and building.

"So many companies were downsizing for 24 or 36 months," he said. "We see bright spots in the economy and have invested a substantial amount of money."

In addition to the EDS building, Szeles has acquired the West Shore Office Center and the Slate Hill Business Center. Jim Koury of Rothman, Schubert and Reed in Camp Hill handled the transactions.

The medical imaging subsidiary seems an odd pairing with a commercial real estate company. Szeles said Gelbaugh, his son-in-law, came out of the Army as an X-ray technician and wanted to explore the possibilities of a company that would bring mobile imaging equipment to nursing homes rather than have the residents travel to fixed facilities.

"We started eight years ago and now have 42 full-time employees," Szeles said. "We expect to soon be one of the biggest in the state."

Szeles is a native of Steelton -- his father worked at Bethlehem Steel and eventually ran the Friendly Taverns in Steelton and Rutherford. After graduating from Bishop McDevitt High School, Szeles spent several years working and traveling for State Loan Corp. Eventually, he brought his family back to the midstate.

His first commercial real estate project was the 120-unit Locust Ridge and Londonderry Apartments in Lower Paxton Twp.

Szeles married his high school sweetheart and has four children and 18 grandchildren. All of them live in the area. He is "semiretired," but stays active both in the business and in fitness activities at the Harrisburg YMCA.

shoowaa1 May 30, 2004 4:33 PM

Cool thread and reads and btw light rail+bicycles=a more fit and productive local public which in itself attracts new business...:yes:

Albert (Shoowaa

EastSideHBG May 30, 2004 4:51 PM

You got that right, Albert!!!

wrightchr May 30, 2004 5:08 PM

Dave, I read these in the paper today...thanks for posting. It amazes me as well, when I see new development around here that I had no idea was taking root. With a 93% or better occupancy rate for commercial buildings the economy here in the Harrisburg area is doing REALLY well. Much better than the rest of the state and even many other regions across the country. Albert, your right about attracting new business with commuter rail. I can't wait till public rail transit is developed here. I've read posts on this site about how rail has greatly helped places like Portland. Infill development here will be awesome when this project takes off! It can only be a positive thing. Dave I forgot to tell you, there is a booth near the Front St/Walnut St Bridge entrance that is providing information about the reconstruction of the western span of the bridge. Info is provided by the People's Bridge Coalition and highlights the current status of the project, as well as the history of the bridge. Really cool :tup:

EastSideHBG May 31, 2004 5:46 PM

Yeah, I know the President of the PBC. She is a really determined lady and PennDOT just kicked in $34K+ for a study on the bridge thanks to her hard work, so I think it will get done. And if Wormtown gets the Bridgeport complex rolling, it will be sure to get done then IMO. I sure hope so, because it is a terrible eyesore now. Plus, how many people (like myself) would be using the western span of the bridge when we are down there? The last study the PBC did said it was something like a $1 to $1.50 ratio. For every $1 spent on the bridge, $1.50 is given back to the merchants via people using the bridge. I could easily believe that...

wrightchr Jun 1, 2004 5:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastSideHBG
Yeah, I know the President of the PBC. She is a really determined lady and PennDOT just kicked in $34K+ for a study on the bridge thanks to her hard work, so I think it will get done. And if Wormtown gets the Bridgeport complex rolling, it will be sure to get done then IMO. I sure hope so, because it is a terrible eyesore now. Plus, how many people (like myself) would be using the western span of the bridge when we are down there? The last study the PBC did said it was something like a $1 to $1.50 ratio. For every $1 spent on the bridge, $1.50 is given back to the merchants via people using the bridge. I could easily believe that...

yes i could believe that as well. i remember walking across that bridge quite a lot when i was younger, as did many others i'm sure. it's an historic icon for the city and nation, and it deserves to be rebuilt. it will definately provide an economic boast to west shore and city island and i'm sure the bridgeport project will add to that as well. HATS has it ranked #4 on the 12 tip plan so hopefully it will recieve funding soon and construction will be underway in next couple years.

wrightchr Jun 1, 2004 5:01 PM

here you go Dave...looks like Walmart and Holy Name hit a temporary snag. but i'm sure this will be resolved at next months planning meeting.

<b>Church to revise plans for complex
West Hanover raises concerns about project </b>

Tuesday, June 01, 2004
BY PHYLLIS ZIMMERMAN
For The Patriot-News

The Holy Name of Jesus Roman Catholic Church is still planning to build a parish and school in West Hanover Twp., but its plans have hit a snag.

Project architects are going back to the drawing board after township officials raised several concerns about blueprints.

Based in Lower Paxton Twp., the church has more than 8,600 members.

Wal-Mart is seeking to build a store at the church's site in Lower Paxton, but can't move ahead until the church wins approval for its buildings in West Hanover.

West Hanover planning commission members were set to review plan revisions last month. But the matter was tabled at the May 20 meeting for a second time. Township officials and church representatives agreed to table it, said attorney Charles Suhr, who represents the church.

"We're revising all plans with comments from the township boards taken into consideration. We're trying to get our plans in order. Hopefully, we'll be back next month," Suhr said.

A zoning board hearing for May 13 also was canceled because church officials are working on plan revisions, according to Jim Zeiters, chairman of the township's planning commission.

If approved, Holy Name of Jesus would build its church and school at Oak Grove and Sterling roads, next to Resurrection Cemetery. The land is owned by the Diocese of Harrisburg.

Church officials have asked West Hanover officials to grant a 60-day deadline extension for the plans. Without an extension, plan applications would expire July.

The plans for the Wal-Mart were approved last month by Lower Paxton Twp. Planning Commission. The Lower Paxton township supervisors must sign off on the plan.

Church officials have asked the West Hanover Planning Commission to consider a subdivision of the cemetery's 77 acres -- also owned by the diocese -- to supplement an adjacent 33-acre empty tract with an additional six acres.

wrightchr Jun 1, 2004 5:09 PM

at first this article talks about a restaurant and retail shop...but the residents are voicing opposition to a distributor??? so which is it? why are they not opposed to the restaurant which will probably result in more traffic, patrons, and alcohol related incidents. i especially like this quote
Quote:

He said that his parents have lived across from that property for 80 years.
my oh my...how things have NOT changed in 80 years! maybe a restaurant and distributor is exactly what this town needs lol. :)

<b>PAXTANG
Rezoning request draws objections</b>

Tuesday, June 01, 2004
BY MARY KLAUS
Of The Patriot-News

For years, Paxtang residents didn't seem to mind that the former Dauphin Consolidated owned and occupied property in the 3600 block of Derry Street.

But now that the land has been sold, and Borough Council is considering expanding its commercial zoning to allow a restaurant and retail shop there, residents are voicing concerns.

Some residents, worried that a beer distributor could open on the tract, plan to have their say at 7 tonight when council holds its second hearing on the matter.

Elizabeth Grace of Camp Hill recently bought the property, then submitted an application for a Paxtang zoning hearing board appeal for a use variance. In that application, she proposed putting a beer distributorship on the property.

"I don't want to make any comments about it," Grace, whose family owns Olde Towne Beverage in New Cumberland, said when asked about her request for the variance.

The land is zoned commercial/office, Paxtang Borough Council President James R. Schmidt said during an informational hearing on the proposed zoning change.

Several neighbors of the property said they opposed changing the zoning, saying that restaurant and retail stores, including a beer store, would increase traffic and decrease their property values. Many said the area is better suited to offices.

"People are talking about what it would mean to have a beer distributorship there," said Brett Kern of 3666 Derry St. "This strikes at the nature of Paxtang."

He said that his parents have lived across from that property for 80 years.

"They don't want this [beer distributorship] across from their home," he said. "Our part of Paxtang is a forgotten part of the borough."

Former council member William Smith, who has lived at 3747 Derry St. for 66 years and has his law office there, said, "It's appalling to think of changing the zoning. Paxtang is a family community, and we want to keep it that way."

Glenn Dalton of 3654 Derry St. expressed concern because his three sons, ages 15, 12 and 10, play in the park across from the property.

"I can't imagine any community deciding it's best to put a beer distributorship across from a children's park," he said.

Dawn Deaner of 3661 Brisban St. said that the borough would get property tax from the land whether it's occupied by a restaurant and store, doctors' offices or townhouses. Doug Reynolds of 3623 Brisban St. said that "professional offices are a better use and bring better revenue."

Council members told residents that they are just looking at the proposed zoning change.

Resignations accepted:

In other action, the council accepted resignations from two of the three Paxtang Civil Service Commission members, Dennis Beaver and Mary Krautheim.

The council also accepted resignations from Paxtang Police Officers Scott Rupert and Jason Cleck.

In addition, the council voted to "opt in" to Pennsylvania's Uniform Construction Code, which replaces local standards with a state standard based of rules on how structures can be designed and what materials can be used.

By taking that action, the borough is agreeing to administer and enforce the building code. The law goes into effect this summer.

MARY KLAUS: 255-8113 or mklaus@patriot-news.com

EastSideHBG Jun 1, 2004 10:03 PM

Yeah that's some weird shit, Chris. And did you notice how many people resigned from various positions in Paxtang? Something odd going on there for sure. :sly

Quote:

In other action, the council accepted resignations from two of the three Paxtang Civil Service Commission members, Dennis Beaver and Mary Krautheim.

The council also accepted resignations from Paxtang Police Officers Scott Rupert and Jason Cleck.
Okay, now on to the whole Wal-Mart issue *sigh*

I think I MAY have changed my tune a little. A gentleman wrote a pretty good editorial in the paper on Sunday that really got me thinking. In a nutshell his comments were about if not Wal-Mart on that site, then what? We all know something is going to be built there...is Wal-Mart the lesser of the evils? Apparently Harley-Davidson has been looking at the site for a "motorcycle testing area" (they have that new showroom/shop not even a block down that was built a few years ago). Look at all the warehouses that have opened up around there in the last few years. Is that what we will get instead of Wal-Mart, another warehouse and/or yet another trucking firm? Is that a risk we should take? We all know Holy Name is leaving, so who do we want there is the question. IMO "if Holy Name leaves" isn't even an option...they WILL be leaving.

With all the building on Rt. 22 a Wal-Mart there is inevitable, especially the closer you get to/in West Hanover Twp. With all the new housing developments and offices springing up there, you know a Wal-Mart and/or other big-boxers are bound to follow. Are we just pushing the inevitable even further down, resulting in even more sprawl?

The guy in the editorial also brought up a good point: if we don't get that Wal-Mart, we will be wasting gas to get to the other one. Without getting into all that he said, he was basically saying that no matter what choice is made, we will be supporting some type of evil corporation. Sadly, the man is dead on...

I don't know how to feel on this matter. I would absolutely HATE to see another warehouse there or something to do with trucks. On the same token, I'd hate to see Karns driven out of business (they are right across the street). Will a Wal-Mart Supercenter push them out of business? Who knows, but it seems like a risky situation. I think we LP citizens will lose no matter what we choose. :no:

PaSkyX Jun 2, 2004 5:56 PM

I doubt it'll drive it out of business. Where the current Wal-Mart is now, there is a relatively close Weis Markets in plaza on the other side of Mushroom Hill. So it'd doubtful it'd displace Karns, though I'm sure it'd affect the business. I mean look at Union Deposit - Weis, Giant, and Foxes. Three supermarkets across the street from each other basically. I think there's enough people who eat enough to sustain them both.

EastSideHBG Jun 2, 2004 8:57 PM

Hopefully you're right, PaSkyX. Karns is a great local business and I'd hate to see them get hurt in the process.

In other news, I found out yesterday that the city is attempting to buy a bunch of properties along Cameron St. near the Farm Show for a hotel. I can't comment on too much of it now because it's not really public yet, but my one friend's business was one of the ones the city approached. I knew there was going to be a hotel built to service the Farm Show, but that was supposed to be on their site in [what is left of] the Farm Show's parking lot. But another hotel along Cameron? Yeah, I think 2 hotels in that area could easily work...

EastSideHBG Jun 2, 2004 8:59 PM

:tup:

Jobless rate stabilizes

Wednesday, June 02, 2004

The unemployment rate in the Harrisburg region was 3.6 percent in April, unchanged from March and down from 4 percent a year ago.

The jobless rate in the region -- Cumberland, Dauphin, Lebanon and Perry counties -- continued to be among the lowest in the state in April, behind the State College area at 3.4 percent and tied with the Lancaster area at 3.6 percent. The unemployment rate in the York area in April was 4.7 percent.

Cumberland County had the lowest unemployment rate in the state at 3 percent during April. The overall jobless rate in the south-central region, which includes Harrisburg, Lancaster and York, was 3.9 percent.

The statewide unemployment rate in April was 5.3 percent, and the national rate was 5.6 percent.

In the Harrisburg region, the total number of jobs increased by 2,300 from March through April and were up by 1,300 from April 2003. Goods-producing jobs were up by 600 from March, with all of the growth coming from construction and mining-related industries. Manufacturing jobs were flat on a month-to-month basis and are down by 500 from April 2003.

Manufacturing wages in the Harrisburg region averaged $15.36 an hour in April, compared with the statewide average of $15.08. The average manufacturing work week in the region was 40.2 hours.

wrightchr Jun 3, 2004 2:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastSideHBG
Hopefully you're right, PaSkyX. Karns is a great local business and I'd hate to see them get hurt in the process.

In other news, I found out yesterday that the city is attempting to buy a bunch of properties along Cameron St. near the Farm Show for a hotel. I can't comment on too much of it now because it's not really public yet, but my one friend's business was one of the ones the city approached. I knew there was going to be a hotel built to service the Farm Show, but that was supposed to be on their site in [what is left of] the Farm Show's parking lot. But another hotel along Cameron? Yeah, I think 2 hotels in that area could easily work...

hmmm...i definately think one hotel would work quite well...maybe two. i hope they are highrise buildings :D

let's say 10 or more floors, connected to the farm show complex by overhead or underground walkways :scraper: