SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cancelled Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=654)
-   -   PHILADELPHIA | 1919 Market | NEVER BUILT (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119576)

CondoGuru Nov 7, 2006 7:16 PM

PHILADELPHIA | 1919 Market | NEVER BUILT

Hey guys, rumor has it that this thing is back on as a much-scaled down rental tower with more retail space and a garage open to the public. I'm hearing rumblings of roughly 15 or 20 stories total. Stay tuned.

SJPhillyBoy Nov 7, 2006 7:56 PM

I don't think this prime location is worthy of a scaled down anything. I hope it is not on if that is the case.

omp835 Nov 7, 2006 8:02 PM

Kinda premature for a thread, don't you think?

CondoGuru Nov 7, 2006 10:23 PM

Allow me to make a slight correction. Not a rumor, but a fact... directly from an Opus East executive directly involved in the project. And as I said before, stay tuned. But if you feel it's premature to start a thread on this exciting new development, then DON'T COME HERE.

volguus zildrohar Nov 7, 2006 10:37 PM

Generally construction threads are started when a project begins. However, after this month's Philadelphia Magazine update on last year's Condo Revolution article, there seems to be life in 1919 after all but I'm very disappointed at such a low-aiming building in such a location.

Guru, when the figures come out would you be so good as to put it all in the first post of the thread a la the other construction threads so folks know what's up?

CondoGuru Nov 7, 2006 10:42 PM

You got it man.

McBane Nov 8, 2006 1:21 AM

no fucking way! you got to be kidding me. for those of us who've are willing to wait for philly's first 1000 footer, 19th and market is the perfect site for a supertall (or at least anything over 500 ft). now we get word of 20 or so floors? please no! there are dozens of other locations better suited including accross the street from the murano.

if built a more suitable plot continues to rot as a surface lot while the perfect location for a supertall is wasted - wasted on a crappy midrise rental building.

but who here can be surprised? market and jfk west of broad are pretty much the only streets in the city where a developer can come in and build a highrise without fear of community opposition. the nimby's are forcing smaller towers better suited for walnut, chestnut, etc. into our business district.

i've never been so against a building before.

Swinefeld Nov 8, 2006 1:27 AM

I'm going to have to go NIMBY on this one. If this is true, what a disappointment. I'd rather they tear down the AAA building and build there.

TechTalkGuy Nov 8, 2006 1:36 AM

Philadelphia has so much potential for more sky towers.

Why oh why can't the developers realize that Market East is the prime location for high rise condos (with all the retail in that corridor).

I mean, just look at Manhattan with all those 50+ story skyscraping condos.

As for Philly's first 1000+ foot tower, I agree that 1919 is a prime real estate location that should not be underestimated.

Eigenwelt Nov 8, 2006 1:54 AM

Agreed. Waste of space. I'm probally nimby for underdevelopment reasons.

We Got Five Nov 8, 2006 2:01 AM

I beleive we've had this discussion many times before...1919 Market is not a large enough peice of land to support to 1000' structure. Now...there are multiple lots close in proximity that could...

15-20 stories of rental, retail etc. would be ideal for Olde City, or Rittenhouse Square. I would agree with everyone's assessment that this project (especially being in the heart of the business sector) is terribly out of place. I had a hard time with the earlier project, but this is going in the wrong direction. We're just being reasonable aren't we?

GarCastle Nov 8, 2006 2:35 AM

How about 20 floors with a public observation deck on top? /grin

Eigenwelt Nov 8, 2006 2:49 AM

The 1919 plot is more then big enough to support a thousand foot tower. Not that I support building one there, but it's definately big enough. It would be a slender tower but nothing too out of the ordinary.

McBane Nov 8, 2006 3:35 AM

if more space was needed for a 1000 footer, isn't there a parking lot between 1919 and one of those shoddy apartment buildings on jfk? if i am thinking correctly, the parking lot belongs to the apartment building (i think its the william penn something) but surely something could be worked out. another certain spot is our favorite disney hole in the wall site and the girard site.

it's funny how you have all these barnes towers and such infuriating residents for proposing buildings "out of scale with the neighborhood". well 1919 is out of scale too. maybe we could trade - build the barnes tower on 19th and market and 1919 at the best western. wish life was that simple.

SouthPhilly Nov 8, 2006 4:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by We Got Five
I beleive we've had this discussion many times before...1919 Market is not a large enough peice of land to support to 1000' structure. Now...there are multiple lots close in proximity that could...

The space is large enough for the tower, but there wouldn’t be any space around it for preparation area. Comcast has the future JFK Plaza to prepare and store materials, this property you would keep more off site.

The proper height for this lot is something that is just as tall as its neighbors or maybe a bit taller, so it will create wall effect when you look down west market. I think a more appropriate place for a taller skyscraper is west of Comcast or Market East. Everyone talks about gaps, how seat would it be if City hall was out gap, dead center.

Late1 Nov 8, 2006 4:15 PM

I thought 38 stories was underwhelming, but building a 15 or 20 story tower on this site would be simply appalling. Dopus should be *adding* 15-20 stories to their 38-story proposal.

Cro Burnham Nov 8, 2006 4:40 PM

I'm not worried about this.

Several weeks ago I heard from a source, can't say how reliable, that Opus was just going to flip . . . to another flipper. Whether or not this comes to pass, I believe that flipping has been and remains the intention. Just flips or more marketing tactics to facilitate a flip.

No building, short or tall, anytime soon, that's my prediction.

omp835 Nov 8, 2006 8:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CondoGuru
But if you feel it's premature to start a thread on this exciting new development, then DON'T COME HERE.

Hey man, no reason to shout. I'm just worried about you jinxing this turd project by starting a construction thread months before there's any chance of an official
ground breaking let alone an actual shovel in the ground. You don't even have any renderings yet but you're confident it's going to get,or already has gotten, the green light. Good luck with that.:rolleyes:

McBane Nov 8, 2006 8:38 PM

GOOD! JINX IT! I HOPE IT DOESN'T EVEN GET TO THE POINT OF A RENDERING! this proposal, along with the 3 story AAA building and the 5 story stock exchange building are a disgrace to our business district. this is the cbd of a major city not conshohocken or a business park in KoP.

JMininger Nov 8, 2006 9:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthPhilly
The space is large enough for the tower, but there wouldn’t be any space around it for preparation area. Comcast has the future JFK Plaza to prepare and store materials, this property you would keep more off site.

The proper height for this lot is something that is just as tall as its neighbors or maybe a bit taller, so it will create wall effect when you look down west market. I think a more appropriate place for a taller skyscraper is west of Comcast or Market East. Everyone talks about gaps, how seat would it be if City hall was out gap, dead center.

Check out the tiny footprint and preparation area for the 1,047' Waterview Tower in Chicago. It can be done.