SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The best WARM, walkable communities or cities in the US (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206187)

giantSwan Jun 20, 2013 6:03 PM

The best WARM, walkable communities or cities in the US

Hi All,

I was thinking of taking a vacation in the winter (think december, jan, or feb) in a vacation area that is still warm during this time of year and very walkable. It got me thinking, what are your favorite cities or communities in the US that are walkable, (at least) somewhat urban, and warm all year round.

I'd love to see pictures!

uaarkson Jun 20, 2013 6:07 PM

Charleston, SC
Savannah, GA
Ashville, NC
San Diego, CA

LSyd Jun 20, 2013 6:31 PM

Asheville isn't usually warm in winter; nice mountain breezes and some snow

pics by me

San Diego

Charleston

Saint Augustine, Florida

-

initiald Jun 20, 2013 6:57 PM

St. Augustine, Key West, are two I've been to.

Cirrus Jun 20, 2013 7:00 PM

New Orleans, Charleston, and Savannah are worth seeing. Their urban cores are as large as much bigger cities, they just don't have as much surrounding sprawl.

Miami Beach maybe?

giantSwan Jun 20, 2013 7:15 PM

great responses so far - thanks

keep them coming

tdawg Jun 20, 2013 7:44 PM

If you stay near downtown, Naples or Key West, Florida.

photoLith Jun 20, 2013 8:18 PM

Uhm this isn't a city photos thread, so yeah.

MolsonExport Jun 20, 2013 8:28 PM

Old Crow
Kapuskasing
Fort St. John
Aklavik
Schefferville

brickell Jun 20, 2013 9:20 PM

"WARM" is obviously relative. Even Miami has cold snaps that will ruin a day at the beach. I have a hard time imagining Charleston or New Orleans as warm during the winter, but your millage may vary.

the urban politician Jun 20, 2013 9:23 PM

Why CHICAGO of course

Steely Dan Jun 20, 2013 9:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brickell (Post 6171763)
"WARM" is obviously relative. Even Miami has cold snaps that will ruin a day at the beach. I have a hard time imagining Charleston or New Orleans as warm during the winter, but your millage may vary.

of course it's relative, and the thread poster is from the northeast, so if his frame of reference in january is walking around boston when it's in the 20's, then walking around new orleans in the upper 50s/lower 60s will feel like a bonafide heat wave.

MonkeyRonin Jun 20, 2013 9:34 PM

Austin, New Orleans, and San Diego are all walkable and pleasantly warm through the winter. And then there are Los Angeles and Miami, which have walkable, urban areas as large as any of those other cities, despite being "overall" less walkable.

Charleston, Savannah, and San Francisco would be a little on the cooler side, but still fairly pleasant.

BnaBreaker Jun 20, 2013 9:52 PM

San Juan. Book that trip now!

Seriously, google "Old San Juan Streets"...it's about as walkable as it gets in this country, regardless of climate! San Juan also has great food, great people, tropical beaches, average high temperatures in the mid-eighties in January, and you don't even have to change your money or bring your passport! They even have a subway system there now!

fflint Jun 20, 2013 9:59 PM

San Francisco isn't warm in January.

brickell Jun 20, 2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 6171776)
of course it's relative, and the thread poster is from the northeast, so if his frame of reference in january is walking around boston when it's in the 20's, then walking around new orleans in the upper 50s/lower 60s will feel like a bonafide heat wave.

Naturally.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek. I usually tried to vacation up north in winter... just for a change in pace.

I like Bna's suggestion.

dc_denizen Jun 20, 2013 10:22 PM

I think Santa Monica/Venice/West LA are vastly underrated from a vacation/summer city standpoint...
San Diego
Austin

MonkeyRonin Jun 20, 2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fflint (Post 6171844)
San Francisco isn't warm in January.

It is to a Canadian. ;)

Really though, it's about as warm as Charleston or Savannah.

The ATX Jun 20, 2013 10:34 PM

Honolulu.

Seriously, for small towns Charleston, Savannah, Key West and St. Augustine are all good.

For bigger city stuff, Austin, San Antonio, New Orleans, LA.

easy as pie Jun 20, 2013 11:42 PM

miami beach is amazing, i'm spending the last couple weeks of december there myself, love it. key west is a southern sort of resort spot with all that entails, but nice weather.
honolulu is very nice, but january isn't super warm compared with the rest of the year, still nice though.