SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   PITTSBURGH | Development Rundown II (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196266)

Austinlee Jan 2, 2012 4:54 PM

Is one Grandview definitely happening? If so I need to put it under developments on page one. I wasn't sure though.

Gilamonster Jan 2, 2012 7:10 PM

It doesn't have financing as far as the public knows but it hasn't been cancelled either. Well again, as far as the public knows it hasn't been cancelled. I think there is a pretty good chance that something much smaller and grand happens on that Grandview ave site. You might as well hold off on putting that in the front page list of projects.

Jonboy1983 Jan 2, 2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilamonster (Post 5534772)
It doesn't have financing as far as the public knows but it hasn't been cancelled either. Well again, as far as the public knows it hasn't been cancelled. I think there is a pretty good chance that something much smaller and grand happens on that Grandview ave site. You might as well hold off on putting that in the front page list of projects.

I really do not want this project to be cancelled. It would be a huge addition for Mt. Washington! This city has seen project after project fall through due to either a lack of support or a lack of funding.

I don't understand why residential/hotel use here would be so risky. Yes, they would be condos and a hotel, but it's in a rather high-end/upscale part of town. Hotel use is in high demand as well. Plus, this being withinwalking distance from the Monongahela Incline, I wonder if there is any incentive (cash or otherwise) for contructing transit-oriented development. That would be good for at least some funding.

Wiz Khalifa Jan 3, 2012 5:15 PM

I don't know if these have any plans/renderings released yet, but they are sizeable developments:

Bakery Square 2.0
Cork Factory phase 2
Hotel + office building in SSW
Oakland Portal projects
Fifth Ave High School

TBone7281 Jan 3, 2012 5:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiz Khalifa (Post 5535711)
Cork Factory phase 2

This is officially "Lot 24".

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/WMw...7_original.jpg

Yahoo Article

Quote:

PITTSBURGH, PA--(Marketwire -12/20/11)- Dan McCaffery, CEO of McCaffery Interests and Chuck Hammel, President of Pitt Ohio, today announced the commencement of construction for "Lot 24," a new 96-unit apartment residence in the Strip District. McCaffery and Hammel have previously developed The Cork Factory, a most successful and attractive neighbor to the new building.
Lot 24, named after its location within the Strip District, will rise from a former surface parking lot adjacent to The Cork Factory lofts. The 4-story residential building will feature a red brick and corrugated metal façade designed by Antunovich Associates of Chicago, IL. Its appearance is such that it will meld with The Cork Factory and the Strip District's hip, industrial vibe. The building will offer such popular amenities as a clubroom with bar, fireplace and media wall, a terrace with a pool and hot tub, as well as a business center, bike storage and concierge service.
I took this last week:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7153/6...0a56aee8_b.jpg

gallacus Jan 3, 2012 8:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilamonster (Post 5533684)
Even before I read the last few posts, my intention for posting was to ask if anyone out there knew what was going on with the building next to Three PNC that used to house the infamous Powerball billboard. I see TBone7281 has taken a picture of this building a few posts prior. It looks like a restoration project with a new facade to be constructed. Score one for the preservationists. In my brief Google search, I haven't come across anything yet. Details anyone?

There are some details (including some nice renderings) on EDGE Studio's website. Since it's written in Flash :hell: I can't link directly to it. If you go to their website, click on Featured Projects, it's one of two that comes up.

Did I mention I HATE Flash? Okay, rant over.

Gilamonster Jan 3, 2012 11:26 PM

Good list of mid major projects there Wiz Khalifa. I really like the Lot 24 project. It converts an empty lot into residential near downtown and from the article posted above sounds like it will have some style. I'll bet they could have gone higher than 4 stories and 96 units and still had no problem filling them. I realize they are going for context here and weren't going to build too high, but still I wonder if the developer had concerns about the economy and unleased units. I get the impression that the price points for the units will be on the relatively high end of the market. I am interested myself but I think it will be too rich for my blood!
TBone7281, can we count on you for progress pics?

TBone7281 Jan 3, 2012 11:36 PM

I'll make it a point to walk back there occasionally. :yes:

MattofSloppyVariety Jan 4, 2012 4:32 AM

Does anyone know what's going on with the old Holiday Inn off the Parkway East near Wilkinsburg/Edgewood? I saw a sign there a couple months ago for a sheriff's sale, but haven't seen anything about what is to happen to the building.

TBone7281 Jan 4, 2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattofSloppyVariety (Post 5536522)
Does anyone know what's going on with the old Holiday Inn off the Parkway East near Wilkinsburg/Edgewood? I saw a sign there a couple months ago for a sheriff's sale, but haven't seen anything about what is to happen to the building.

Haven't heard anything new... according to city-data they were trying to sell it for $3.5 million in 2010: City Data Thread

And then loopnet's auction listing from 9/2011 had it for $999,000. That's quite a price drop. Doesn't look like it sold though. LoopNet Linky

GeneW Jan 4, 2012 1:16 PM

Some more pictures of Lot 24 on the builder's website. I'm not blown away by the design but heck 96 units is pretty huge.

Jonboy1983 Jan 4, 2012 9:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneW (Post 5536746)
Some more pictures of Lot 24 on the builder's website. I'm not blown away by the design but heck 96 units is pretty huge.

I guess it's suitable given its location. Granted, it's not exactly something that's jaw-dropping, but I think it will fit in quite nicely with the surrounding neighborhood. I'd like for it to be just a little taller (a couple of floors or so), but I guess it would end up sticking out a little too much.

mhays Jan 4, 2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glowrock (Post 5531307)
The problem with many people here on SSP is that they don't consider the COSTS of what they propose, for instance an insistance on underground parking next to a major river with an aquifer located not far below ground level with a capacity of 5,000+ vehicles... ;)

My guess would be a minimum of $100 million for that kind of underground parking capacity, perhaps even higher.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Dunno about Pittsburgh, and construction costs and soil conditions are pretty local, but as a Seattle (sort of) construction guy I'd guess $200,000,000.

I haven't read the next few pages yet, so forgive any duplication. But there are several ways of creating a dry site during construction, and keeping the water out after. Parking garages deep under heavy groundwater are nothing new. It's a cost issue. As for keeping the water out during floods, the building perimeter plus an emergency watertight door system should be plenty. Alternatively, a small berm around the entire garage, with a ramp or two over it, would be a cheap option, though probably less secure.

glowrock Jan 4, 2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 5537475)
Dunno about Pittsburgh, and construction costs and soil conditions are pretty local, but as a Seattle (sort of) construction guy I'd guess $200,000,000.

I haven't read the next few pages yet, so forgive any duplication. But there are several ways of creating a dry site during construction, and keeping the water out after. Parking garages deep under heavy groundwater are nothing new. It's a cost issue. As for keeping the water out during floods, the building perimeter plus an emergency watertight door system should be plenty. Alternatively, a small berm around the entire garage, with a ramp or two over it, would be a cheap option, though probably less secure.

So I was only off by a factor of two, then! :D Seriously though, thanks for the info, mhays. Much appreciated!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Evergrey Jan 6, 2012 6:54 PM

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...apartment.html
Quote:

Falbo, Desmone craft plans for Lawrenceville apartment building

Pittsburgh Business Times by Tim Schooley, Reporter
Date: Friday, January 6, 2012, 6:00am EST

http://assets.bizjournals.com/pittsb...tments.jpg?v=1

A local development team is planning to insert a 46-unit, 89,000-square-foot apartment building into an empty gap in the urban fabric near Doughboy Square in Lawrenceville.

Commercial real estate broker Ral Merchant, developer Ralph Falbo and architect Chip Desmone, operating as Doughboy Apartments LLC, submitted their plan to the city’s zoning board of adjustment this week for a mixed-use apartment building on a 19,000-square-foot parcel on Butler Street.

Desmone, principal of Desmone & Associates Architects, whose offices are right across Butler Street from the proposed site, said the project seeks to build upon the initial suggestion of Rob Stephany, executive ...

Jonboy1983 Jan 6, 2012 7:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evergrey (Post 5540024)

It looks like a rather interesting and exciting development even if it is a low-rise. I don't see why the zoning board would reject this or suggest any significant modifications to this proposal. This should be a nice addition to Lawrenceville.

BrianTH Jan 6, 2012 8:00 PM

You can get to a pretty high residential density with these low-rise, block-filling apartment buildings. And of course all this will support retail and office developments nearby (including, I would suggest, the Lower Hill development area).

Edit: This should be the lot:

http://g.co/maps/crzu4

GeneW Jan 6, 2012 8:10 PM

Nice. That whole Doughboy Area is really filling in.

Austinlee Jan 7, 2012 2:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evergrey (Post 5540024)

This is awesome! I love how Lawrenceville is coming along.

TBone7281 Jan 10, 2012 2:15 PM

New stadium to be built in Station Square:

http://www.wtae.com/sports/30170648/detail.html

Quote:

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Riverhounds will announce plans for what they call "a multi-sport stadium to serve as a home field for the professional soccer team and several other sports teams in the area."
Renderings of the new stadium will be shown Tuesday during a news conference at the Greentree SportsPlex at 10 a.m.
The Riverhounds said the stadium will be built in Station Square, with a completion date of summer 2012.
Currently, the Riverhounds play their soccer games at the Chartiers Valley High School stadium. They are a member of the USL Professional Division.