SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=428)
-   -   Bow Flow 2011 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193229)

Bigtime Aug 17, 2011 1:23 PM

Bow Flow 2011

It is happening this Sunday (August 21st).

http://bowriverflow.ca/

Is anyone planning to attend this year?

As newly minted Sunnyside residents I believe it is our duty, neigh, our obligation to attend and enjoy what should be a gorgeous Sunday in the city.

Of special note this year is that the space has been expanded including parts of Chinatown and Eau Claire (including the lower bridge deck of the centre street bridge to connect it all):

Map of the event (spoiled for image size)

Calgarian Aug 17, 2011 1:59 PM

This doesn't really interest me, I like the idea though.

artvandelay Aug 17, 2011 3:25 PM

I always thought this festival seemed pretty contrived, unlike some of the other ones which developed more organically. I've got a golf game sunday, so I won't be making it.

Radley77 Aug 17, 2011 4:05 PM

Everyday is my Bow Flow! I'm dragonboating on the much inferior North Saskatchewan River in Edmonton this weekend.

I'm keen on an inner city kayaking club (easy for meet ups, Harvie Passage, and shared transport for put-in & pull-out)... Anyone know if there are any?

Witty Nickname Aug 17, 2011 4:43 PM

As long as it's better than last years piss poor event.

Tarsus Aug 17, 2011 4:59 PM

Sunday is supposed to be sunny and +28C. I'll be there.

Tarsus Aug 17, 2011 5:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artvandelay (Post 5381669)
I always thought this festival seemed pretty contrived, unlike some of the other ones which developed more organically. I've got a golf game sunday, so I won't be making it.

All festivals feel contrived in the early stages. It isn't until they get a bit bigger and they've been around for a while that the event doesn't feel that way.

artvandelay Aug 17, 2011 6:05 PM

^ True, but this one had a ton of hype for it's first year, but a severe lack of content. It's like someone decided to host the thing purely for the sake of it, without engaging stakeholders first. It was a festival without any content. Hopefully it has improved by now.

Bigtime Aug 17, 2011 6:12 PM

I'll be laying sod on Saturday (damn homeowner stuff, this condo kid isn't adjusting so well!), so I am really looking forward to the great forecast for Sunday and getting on the bike (with carrier for Littletime) to enjoy this event.

Tarsus Aug 17, 2011 6:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artvandelay (Post 5381854)
^ True, but this one had a ton of hype for it's first year, but a severe lack of content. It's like someone decided to host the thing purely for the sake of it, without engaging stakeholders first. It was a festival without any content. Hopefully it has improved by now.

Fair enough. Some festivals do come with alot of hype but eventually fade out. Calgary Winter Festival anyone?

Sometimes though festivals have to start out this way. The concept of this festival is not typical to most cities, so it has to start off like imo.

Wooster Aug 17, 2011 6:32 PM

I might grab the bike and check it out. I hope the food trucks come. :)

Bigtime Aug 17, 2011 6:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooster (Post 5381884)
I might grab the bike and check it out. I hope the food trucks come. :)

I would be pumped if the food trucks showed up, but then again with the forecast I'm sure the lines for them will be HUGE.

I would assume they would setup somewhere in the Chinatown/Eau Claire side if they did show.

bookermorgan Aug 17, 2011 7:59 PM

Due to my stag on saturday, I doubt I will be in any shape to make it down :cheers:

DizzyEdge Aug 17, 2011 8:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bookermorgan (Post 5381976)
Due to my stag on saturday, I doubt I will be in any shape to make it down :cheers:

Just arrange to pass out onsite, so you're the first one in line.

Bigtime Aug 17, 2011 8:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bookermorgan (Post 5381976)

Oh yeah, you will be in absolutely no shape the following morning. I speak from experience, in fact you better make sure your entire Sunday is written off for recovery efforts.

Pavlov Aug 17, 2011 8:50 PM

Do they float the large lanterns down the river for this? Or is that another festival? Or was that some sort of one-time art installation?

bigcanuck Aug 17, 2011 8:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigtime (Post 5382022)
Oh yeah, you will be in absolutely no shape the following morning. I speak from experience, in fact you better make sure your entire Sunday is written off for recovery efforts.

McDonalds fries - they'll get you through your recovery.

Calgarian Aug 17, 2011 9:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reesonov (Post 5382039)
Do they float the large lanterns down the river for this? Or is that another festival? Or was that some sort of one-time art installation?

I think that was a one time thing, would be cool if they did it again.

DizzyEdge Aug 17, 2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigcanuck (Post 5382042)
McDonalds fries - they'll get you through your recovery.

duck fat fried alleyburger poutine could too.

kw5150 Aug 17, 2011 11:55 PM

5150's RAnTs

So cool to see this happening in Calgary. I might be in raft that day so I will pass right through. It should be busy enough on the river this sunday that this event could be total fail on memorial drive, and it would still come off successful. This event should include the elbow as well.........why the hate?

The city should order a bunch of sand to appear on the shoreline of the bow somewhere......It could be a Calgary tradition, the adding of a small amount of sand somewhere along the banks of the Bow, once a year, somewhere in the city. Imagine all of the shirtless dudes...(ok........and bikini chicks); the weir just got it's first bikini chicks 3 weeks ago, lol, and that is barely a beach.

Calgary has more water around than people realize I think. The Elbow river edge is packed on a hot day. The area near the outflow of the glenmore reservoir, (Sandy beach) should seriously be redesigned.....with plenty of garbage receptacles as well!