SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   NHL season 2017/2018 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228741)

The Chemist Jul 3, 2017 3:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrJoe (Post 7851490)
The problem with what the Flames have done is they are still only a fringe elite team at best and they've sold away the next decade to get there. Brian Burkes influence is strong because this is exactly what he did to the Leafs granted the Flames are a lot better than the Leafs were. They aren't even the best team in their own province.

Sold away the next decade? The Flames may not have many picks in next year's draft, but they are very deep on prospects already, especially in defence and goal.

And now, seeing what the Leafs are paying for Marleau (plus an NTC!) I'd rather have our management team than the Leafs'.

Nicko999 Jul 4, 2017 4:52 AM

I just hope Markov signs with Nashville so him and Subban are reunited.

Honestly, I don't give a damn about what is happening with the Habs anymore. Just not gonna bother with those clowns. Bergevin has destroyed a potential Cup contender team like no other GM has done. And Molson is letting everything go because he doesn't give a damn as long as the money keeps flowing in.

-Signing Carey Price to a 10.5M AAV extension for 8 years. WTF is this amount for that long? Price is one of the few players I like on the team but he's not a playoff goalie and choked at the most important moment last season once again.

-Losing Radulov is funny. Habs scored 11 goals in 6 games in the playoffs last year with Radulov participating on 64% of them. Carried the team on his back but no need for playoff warriors in this city.

-It's July 4th now, and your #1 puck moving D is still a free agent. The player that is loyal to the team for the last 20 years and happens to still be a core player is not a priority for those idiots.

All I can say is enjoy the basement Habs! Can't say I will miss their boring style and political decisions.:haha:

And Go Preds Go!

EDIT: Oh and I forgot, Markov is still unsigned 2 weeks after we traded our best D-prospect (overall best prospect as well) for "un ptit gars de chez nous".

Berklon Jul 4, 2017 5:03 AM

^ You must have some serious ankle issues with the amount of jumping on and off the bandwagon you've done with your sports teams over the years.

When your team is doing well, you post like there's no tomorrow with player stats, etc.. but when your teams stinks - you seem to disappear for long stretches.

khabibulin Jul 4, 2017 5:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 7853994)
^ You must have some serious ankle issues with the amount of jumping on and off the bandwagon you've done with your sports teams over the years.

When your team is doing well, you post like there's no tomorrow with player stats, etc.. but when your teams stinks - you seem to disappear for long stretches.

Tru dat. Now that the Alouettes suck, he finally removed the "2009-2010 Alouettes back to back Grey Cup champs", signature line from his posts.

MacLac Jul 4, 2017 3:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chemist (Post 7853350)
Sold away the next decade? The Flames may not have many picks in next year's draft, but they are very deep on prospects already, especially in defence and goal.

And now, seeing what the Leafs are paying for Marleau (plus an NTC!) I'd rather have our management team than the Leafs'.

Deep in goal? You sure about that? I guess an old geezer is your idea of being deep. Hamonic is way overated....just saying.

Calgarian Jul 4, 2017 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacLac (Post 7854206)
Deep in goal? You sure about that? I guess an old geezer is your idea of being deep. Hamonic is way overated....just saying.

He's talking about prospects, not Mike Smith lol. Jon Gillies and Tyler Parsons are both very promising young goaltenders, they are who he is referring to. Hamonic isn't going to carry the load, he's hopefully going to help Brodie get back to his game, he's replacing Wideman, so I'm sure this will be quite the upgrade for our D. Besides, we got him for a couple draft picks, so if he doesn't work out, we could likely get a very similar return to what we paid. Flames moves make a lot of sense and address some glaring holes, very happy with them, just need someone to play with Johnny and Mony.

ExcaliburKid Jul 4, 2017 4:10 PM

I guess going 0-7 against the Oilers last season kind of set off panic in Flames' front office ;)

Solidified their defence, but no improvement up front...do they plan on out-defending their way to victories? Lack of scoring depth could hurt should Smith go down for any length of time with injury. Not sure Lack can hold down the fort for an extended period sure that happen

Calgarian Jul 4, 2017 4:28 PM

Scoring goals wasn't the problem last year, and we had almost everyone contributing. It was letting in bad goals and turnovers on defense that killed us.

The Chemist Jul 4, 2017 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgarian (Post 7854239)
He's talking about prospects, not Mike Smith lol. Jon Gillies and Tyler Parsons are both very promising young goaltenders, they are who he is referring to. Hamonic isn't going to carry the load, he's hopefully going to help Brodie get back to his game, he's replacing Wideman, so I'm sure this will be quite the upgrade for our D. Besides, we got him for a couple draft picks, so if he doesn't work out, we could likely get a very similar return to what we paid. Flames moves make a lot of sense and address some glaring holes, very happy with them, just need someone to play with Johnny and Mony.

Do we? Ferland played great along side them when he was moved up to the first line near the end of last season. I think he'll be fine to stay up there, especially since he adds a bit of physicality to that line.

The Chemist Jul 4, 2017 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid (Post 7854241)
I guess going 0-7 against the Oilers last season kind of set off panic in Flames' front office ;)

Solidified their defence, but no improvement up front...do they plan on out-defending their way to victories? Lack of scoring depth could hurt should Smith go down for any length of time with injury. Not sure Lack can hold down the fort for an extended period sure that happen

Lack of scoring depth? The Flames led the NHL in 10+ goal scorers!

thenoflyzone Jul 5, 2017 2:16 AM

This salary cap shit has to disappear.

That's the only way the Habs will get the Cup back. By buying it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicko999 (Post 7853987)

-Losing Radulov is funny. Habs scored 11 goals in 6 games in the playoffs last year with Radulov participating on 64% of them. Carried the team on his back but no need for playoff warriors in this city.

For what it's worth, the Habs offerend Radu the same money Dallas did. He chose Dallas, for the taxes, obviously. Yet another reason why the salary cap should disappear. Teams in higher tax areas get the shaft.

Coldrsx Jul 5, 2017 2:19 AM

I thought that they tried to do that with the cap...

*snap

blueandgoldguy Jul 5, 2017 4:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 7854827)
This salary cap shit has to disappear.

That's the only way the Habs will get the Cup back. By buying it!

For what it's worth, the Habs offerend Radu the same money Dallas did. He chose Dallas, for the taxes, obviously. Yet another reason why the salary cap should disappear. Teams in higher tax areas get the shaft.

No montreal only offered a 3 year term. That is why he chose Dallas. Had little if anything to do with taxes. Longer term...more guaranteed money.

SkahHigh Jul 5, 2017 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy (Post 7854925)
No montreal only offered a 3 year term. That is why he chose Dallas. Had little if anything to do with taxes. Longer term...more guaranteed money.

We offered the exact same contract to him before free agency but he wanted to test the market.

Calgarian Jul 5, 2017 3:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chemist (Post 7854627)
Do we? Ferland played great along side them when he was moved up to the first line near the end of last season. I think he'll be fine to stay up there, especially since he adds a bit of physicality to that line.

Ferland is not an elite player, he has good hands and can be a power forward, but I don't see him playing with the skill and speed needed to be on a line with those guys for an entire season. His size and physical play would be very welcome again though.

FrankieFlowerpot Jul 5, 2017 7:15 PM

McJesus official - 8 years, $100million

rotten42 Jul 5, 2017 7:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot (Post 7855577)

edit: nevermind...I misread that.

jawagord Jul 5, 2017 8:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot (Post 7855577)

Oilers on their way to salary cap hell?

Calgarian Jul 5, 2017 10:13 PM

If you have a player like McDavid, you don't even flinch at a contract like that, you have to do it.

Coldrsx Jul 5, 2017 10:13 PM

It will certainly make things challenging, but it depends on how much Drai signs for. We still need another top 4 D and another 20G guy.

That said, McDavid is McDavid...had to be done.