SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation & Infrastructure (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   SFU/Burnaby Mtn Gondola | Proposed (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164851)

Trainguy Oct 18, 2017 5:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waves (Post 7956250)
Hopefully this actually goes through this time. I can't recall exactly what the estimate was on the systems capital cost but I think is was about $22 million. This seems like pennies for the connection benefit it would provide. Also what is this about Desmond going on about an "Arbutus Line". Does he not mean the Broadway Extension from Arbutus?

Last time this gondola idea was in the news, the NIMBY's living below the proposed route complained about losing privacy among other things. I think it is a good idea but this is Metro Van and everything takes twice to three times as long to get built.

dcman72 Apr 12, 2018 3:06 AM

Urban Gondolas: Transit by Cable

Example of urban gondola in Medellín, Colombia
Video Link

Chikinlittle Apr 12, 2018 3:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcman72 (Post 8151650)
Example of urban gondola in Medagen Colombia
Video Link

That's, Medellín, Colombia.

Metro-One Apr 12, 2018 3:14 AM

Ugh, got me excited that there might have been some movement on this...

Anyway to get this into the 10 year plan?

Although I should note that I am starting to lean towards it departing from Lougheed instead of Production. That way Lougheed can be even more of a proper hub and it would make more sense regarding Skytrain.

Migrant_Coconut Apr 12, 2018 3:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metro-One (Post 8151664)
Although I should note that I am starting to lean towards it departing from Lougheed instead of Production. That way Lougheed can be even more of a proper hub and it would make more sense regarding Skytrain.

Longer route, and less room to place it - all those new highrises are bound to get in the way. Unless SFU students don't mind walking up to Cameron Street?

Metro-One Apr 12, 2018 4:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut (Post 8151699)
Longer route, and less room to place it - all those new highrises are bound to get in the way. Unless SFU students don't mind walking up to Cameron Street?

In most nations none of those aspects would be insurmountable. There is plenty of space between the towers and the length isn’t that much longer. (And if this were planned currently non existing towers can be modified).

Migrant_Coconut Apr 12, 2018 4:31 AM

Forgot to add that SFU themselves assumes a gondola coming up from Production Way. Sure, they could stage it from Lougheed, but there's a whole lot less physical and political obstacles further west.

What's wrong with Production, anyhow? No reason it can't be a hub too (eventually) - it's connected to both lines.

Metro-One Apr 12, 2018 4:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut (Post 8151755)
Forgot to add that SFU themselves assumes a gondola coming up from Production Way. Sure, they could stage it from Lougheed, but there's a whole lot less physical and political obstacles further west.

What's wrong with Production, anyhow? No reason it can't be a hub too (eventually) - it's connected to both lines.

I really think with the Broadway Subway going through and the Evergreen Line now open that for potential future Skytrain Line configurations having the Gondola run from Lougheed is a far more versatile / future proof option.

Migrant_Coconut Apr 12, 2018 4:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metro-One (Post 8151760)
I really think with the Broadway Subway going through and the Evergreen Line now open that for potential future Skytrain Line configurations having the Gondola run from Lougheed is a far more versatile / future proof option.

Given experience with other metros, the Expo/Millennium might be better off with two transfer stations. One can get swamped pretty easily.

GeeCee Apr 12, 2018 1:02 PM

I wonder what the effects on UniverCity might be with the campus directly connected via gondola to a revitalized Lougheed Mall. I imagine that prices up there are a bit higher than usual?

djmk Apr 12, 2018 4:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut (Post 8151755)

I think because the gondola will go over quite a few homes

CanSpice Apr 12, 2018 5:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djmk (Post 8152211)
I think because the gondola will go over quite a few homes

It would go over more homes if it's coming from Lougheed.

djmk Apr 12, 2018 8:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanSpice (Post 8152346)

maybe they don't want to go over the protesters. Their signs can get quite large.

LeftCoaster Apr 12, 2018 9:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanSpice (Post 8152346)

It would also go through a lot of towers. Production way is industrial and predominantly low rise. If anything happens it will be Production way, not Lougheed.

twoNeurons Apr 13, 2018 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftCoaster (Post 8152642)
It would also go through a lot of towers. Production way is industrial and predominantly low rise. If anything happens it will be Production way, not Lougheed.

Yep. I get that Lougheed is more of a hub, but I could see with Production Way having residential density built around it as well. Maybe not high rises, but I could see mid-rises, definitely. If they could convert Sapperton into a mini-hub...

Interesting talk about a Gondola on the North Shore.

Migrant_Coconut Apr 14, 2018 4:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoNeurons (Post 8153992)
Yep. I get that Lougheed is more of a hub, but I could see with Production Way having residential density built around it as well. Maybe not high rises, but I could see mid-rises, definitely. If they could convert Sapperton into a mini-hub...

Calling it now - Lakedale to Gaglardi to Thunderbird gets replanned as a "student village" two months after the gondola opens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoNeurons (Post 8153992)
Interesting talk about a Gondola on the North Shore.

^ Were you meaning to add a link here? The discussion has been firmly around Production Way + Lougheed for the last page or so.

Though a gondola would be a good idea for Phibbs to Cap U.

Colin4567 Feb 16, 2019 2:53 AM

https://www.facebook.com/Translink/v...6606091486071/

41:30, I come up and talk to the Mayor's Council about the SFU gondola.

misher Feb 16, 2019 2:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin4567 (Post 8476287)
https://www.facebook.com/Translink/v...6606091486071/

41:30, I come up and talk to the Mayor's Council about the SFU gondola.

The multiple years the bus stopped during snowfall and SFU stayed open requiring students to walk up :(

Thanks for bringing this up.

Notice that the next guy said he's a bricklayer? My dad told me back in his day the only guys with big body builder muscles were bricklayers yet hes super skinny.

VancouverOfTheFuture Feb 16, 2019 3:11 AM

seems weird that SFU wouldn't coordinate their snow closures with TransLink's ability to get buses up the hill. that would be the most important factor for classes i would think.

misher Feb 16, 2019 3:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture (Post 8476319)
seems weird that SFU wouldn't coordinate their snow closures with TransLink's ability to get buses up the hill. that would be the most important factor for classes i would think.

Logically this would happen, I’m sure most students were surprised when it didn’t. I know I missed my final and my professor gave a retest to the ones who missed it but was very grumpy about it.