SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=223)
-   -   [Halifax] Velo Apartments (2300 Gottingen) | ? m | 5 fl | U/C (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=169804)

stevencourchene Apr 4, 2017 9:03 PM

Does anyone have informan on gottigen terrace? Such as a website or are the condos or apartments do that offer any amenities in the buliding for the tenants prices on living there who is the developer of this project.

Any i for would be greatly appreciated


Thanks:)

pblaauw Apr 5, 2017 3:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevencourchene (Post 7762425)
Does anyone have informan on gottigen terrace? Such as a website or are the condos or apartments do that offer any amenities in the buliding for the tenants prices on living there who is the developer of this project.

Any i for would be greatly appreciated


Thanks:)

Floor plans here, but not much else.

eastcoastal Apr 12, 2017 2:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pblaauw (Post 7762865)
Floor plans here, but not much else.

Those look to be from the previous, and unbuilt, design for the site - back when it was owned by Creighton-Gerrish. New owner now (maybe Andrew Murphy is involved?) and new Architect (Lydon Lynch, I think?).

I haven't seen anything other than the exterior renderings that were posted in this thread.

eastcoastal Apr 12, 2017 2:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith P. (Post 7762284)
Sorry, I don't buy it. Wood buildings in our wet climate are prone to rot and mould, and the glue-lam products used in the taller ones go up like matchsticks when fire is introduced. I certainly would not want to live in or purchase a unit in a 6-storey wood stick structure.

I can buy the rot and mould argument... though, my 1890-something wood frame house seems to be structurally sound. Increasing it to six storeys won't likely impact the rot and mould components, but building envelopes are certainly tighter now than they were in 1890s, so I'd expect this COULD be the case.

However, I do remember seeing some studies on the fire safety of six storey wood frame buildings, produced in BC, that were part of the process when the changes to the National Building Code of Canada were introduced in the 2015 version to allow six storey buildings to be constructed of wood. If I recall, stick frame structures were safer than typical six-storey structures WHEN ACCOMPANIED BY APPROPRIATE SPRINKLER COVERAGE. I also think I've read that heavy timber (not stick) can be safer than steel when exposed to fire as the steel can weaken, but once a the heavy timber is charred to a particular depth, it stops burning.

planarchy Apr 12, 2017 2:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastcoastal (Post 7770550)
Those look to be from the previous, and unbuilt, design for the site - back when it was owned by Creighton-Gerrish. New owner now (maybe Andrew Murphy is involved?) and new Architect (Lydon Lynch, I think?).

I haven't seen anything other than the exterior renderings that were posted in this thread.

Andrew Murphy is not involved. It is Ross Cantwell and Allee Andrews. They control HRM Apartments (http://www.hrmapartments.ca/).

Here are floor plans for this building on Gottingen - https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/ca/velo-apartments/units. Here is a site for the building - http://www.veloapartments.ca/

eastcoastal Apr 12, 2017 8:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planarchy (Post 7770614)
Andrew Murphy is not involved. It is Ross Cantwell and Allee Andrews. They control HRM Apartments (http://www.hrmapartments.ca/).

Here are floor plans for this building on Gottingen - https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/ca/velo-apartments/units. Here is a site for the building - http://www.veloapartments.ca/

Thanks!

Keith P. Apr 12, 2017 8:24 PM

Sell, all I know is that modern McMansion houses go up like a book of matches once they start burning because of all the glue used in chipboard and glue-lam structural lumber.

eastcoastal Apr 13, 2017 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith P. (Post 7771203)
Sell, all I know is that modern McMansion houses go up like a book of matches once they start burning because of all the glue used in chipboard and glue-lam structural lumber.

Yes... you're correct.

A building's safety can't be isolated to only one element though, and the National Building Code of Canada treats a single-family-mcmansion-type building differently than a multi-unit six storey building.

Ziobrop Apr 13, 2017 3:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastcoastal (Post 7771757)
Yes... you're correct.

A building's safety can't be isolated to only one element though, and the National Building Code of Canada treats a single-family-mcmansion-type building differently than a multi-unit six storey building.

true. but you don't actually need the gluelam to burn, just heat up enough, and the glues melt out and it fails.

there is a reason the fire service treats modern lightweight buildings differently from legacy wood construction.

Dmajackson Apr 17, 2017 6:08 PM

Since this seems to be the project thread for this building now.

http://68.media.tumblr.com/d88c59210...dq8o1_1280.jpg
Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

stevencourchene Jun 21, 2017 5:16 PM

Velo apartments
 
We have just gone though the application and leaseing stage for our new home as of February 2018 and I am really looking forward to calling velo home for at lest a little while. This space based on renderings and samples of finishings are the same as what is being used in new units around town that are charging more per month and because we just signed with HRM apartments and velo we had a great selection of units left and I am happy with our choice i hope to not be disappointed.

It's all about location and this is the best and most ideal location for me any how because north end is home and home is where your hart is and I'll be just a bit closer to my family then I am now so that's an extra bonus.

🤞

TheGreenBastard Jun 21, 2017 5:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevencourchene (Post 7841398)
We have just gone though the application and leaseing stage for our new home as of February 2018 and I am really looking forward to calling velo home for at lest a little while. This space based on renderings and samples of finishings are the same as what is being used in new units around town that are charging more per month and because we just signed with HRM apartments and velo we had a great selection of units left and I am happy with our choice i hope to not be disappointed.

It's all about location and this is the best and most ideal location for me any how because north end is home and home is where your hart is and I'll be just a bit closer to my family then I am now so that's an extra bonus.

🤞

How much is a 2br there?

stevencourchene Jun 22, 2017 12:13 AM

Here is the link to their site.
 
The amounts very based on unit.

Please visit their website I hope it helps:)

http://veloapartments.ca/velo2bedroom.php

OldDartmouthMark Jun 22, 2017 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevencourchene (Post 7841398)
We have just gone though the application and leaseing stage for our new home as of February 2018 and I am really looking forward to calling velo home for at lest a little while. This space based on renderings and samples of finishings are the same as what is being used in new units around town that are charging more per month and because we just signed with HRM apartments and velo we had a great selection of units left and I am happy with our choice i hope to not be disappointed.

It's all about location and this is the best and most ideal location for me any how because north end is home and home is where your hart is and I'll be just a bit closer to my family then I am now so that's an extra bonus.

🤞

Congrats on the new home! As interesting as it is to talk about new construction in the city, it's even better when somebody is planning to call one of them home. I hope you enjoy the process! :tup:

Dmajackson Feb 14, 2018 9:33 PM

Ground floor is slowly being uncovered. :)

https://68.media.tumblr.com/edcb54e2...dq8o1_1280.jpg
Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Keith P. Feb 14, 2018 10:58 PM

Aside from the vertical corrugated metal on the inside of the balcony spaces, I quite like this design. The street-level windows angled in at the bottom are a nice touch.

Is that actual brickwork on the cladding or is it some other type of material?

IanWatson Feb 15, 2018 12:27 PM

Yeah, it's real brick. I think even the corrugated metal is nice as an accent in the limited areas they used it.

This is a Lydon Lynch design; you can always count on them to do good stuff.

My friend recently moved in. I'm just waiting for her to get some furniture so she can have a housewarming party. I want to see the inside!

eastcoastal Feb 15, 2018 1:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith P. (Post 8085925)
Aside from the vertical corrugated metal on the inside of the balcony spaces, I quite like this design. The street-level windows angled in at the bottom are a nice touch.

Is that actual brickwork on the cladding or is it some other type of material?

You're right, those angled windows are a very nice touch. I don't (quite) hate the metal siding: I do wonder how it will age though.

I've walked past a couple times now, and I think the brick is real.

Jonovision Feb 15, 2018 4:55 PM

I really like that brick. The long thin bricks are a welcome change to the usual red or now ubiquitous charcoal brick. Is the other half supposed to be the same or slightly different.

Also managed to snap this from the ferry yesterday.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4721/...f1e981cc_b.jpg20180214_163401 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

JET Feb 15, 2018 5:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanWatson (Post 8086447)
Yeah, it's real brick. I think even the corrugated metal is nice as an accent in the limited areas they used it.

This is a Lydon Lynch design; you can always count on them to do good stuff.

My friend recently moved in. I'm just waiting for her to get some furniture so she can have a housewarming party. I want to see the inside!

People live in there? I drive by everyday, and it just looks like a dangerous construction site.


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.