SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   My City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=321)
-   -   LONDON | Old South/Wortley Village (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198614)

flar Apr 4, 2012 1:49 AM

LONDON | Old South/Wortley Village

Wortley Village and Old South

I think this is where I'd want to live if I lived in London, Ontario.

More London:
Downtown: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=125840
Woodfield: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164787
Talbot: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164891

Dr Awesomesauce Apr 4, 2012 2:09 AM

Hmmmm I don't recognise this area. Is it on the way towards St Thomas?

London's a pretty little city. Thanks for the tour.

ColDayMan Apr 4, 2012 3:59 AM

Thanks!

londoner_abroad Apr 4, 2012 9:17 AM

These are great! this thread actually made me wonder if anyone would ever go out to the current suburbs like Sunningdale, Summerside and others in 50+ years to take similar pictures.. Probably not as they lack in uniqueness, character and the mix of built form and uses.

Danny Apr 4, 2012 1:20 PM

Thanks a lot for there beautiful pictures, flar!

I would like to live there too. It´s a pretty neighbourhood with very pretty houses. I like very much those houses. It looks very quiet and green.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain!:tup:

flar Apr 4, 2012 1:38 PM

A little too green!

(That's what I get for trying to process photos on my laptop)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce (Post 5653250)
Hmmmm I don't recognise this area. Is it on the way towards St Thomas?

London's a pretty little city. Thanks for the tour.

Old South is tucked away on the opposite side of the river from downtown. It's roughly between the river, Wellington, Baseline and Wharncliffe. Visitors to London would never end up in this neighbourhood, even accidentally.

Simpseatles Apr 4, 2012 8:04 PM

Wow! Excellent photo tour of my favourite neighbourhood in London! :yes:

Snark Apr 5, 2012 2:58 AM

Well done! The Buick Reatta in the one pic is a nice touch.

Perhaps you might wish to move on to Woodfield and University Heights....

xzmattzx Apr 5, 2012 5:18 AM

Nice pictures. Good to see you cover more of London. I was wondering what these neighborhoods looked like.

Symz Apr 5, 2012 10:56 AM

Wow, I really love the photos! The London area has some great stock of old homes, I noticed this the last time I went up there, when I really took some time to walk around.

I also noticed how many homes were built in that beige, yellowish brick. It's something I really noticed because we don't really see that in Windsor, we see more red brick, so I really think it adds to give the London area a distinct flavour. I guess the vice-versa could be said about Windsor? Who knows, red brick to me seems more common.

Anyways, great shots, lots of lovely architecture and gingerbread on those homes/buildings.

flar Apr 5, 2012 12:58 PM

That yellow brick (or "buff brick") is very common in the London to Kitchener area. In the 1800s, almost all brick was made locally. The colour of the brick depends on what's in the local clay deposits. You don't see much of the light yellow brick in the Windsor/Chatham/Sarnia area or in the Toronto/Hamilton/Niagara area. But it's very common everywhere in between. Glencoe comes to mind as a town that is almost completely made of yellow brick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snark (Post 5654858)
Perhaps you might wish to move on to Woodfield and University Heights....

I already did Woodfield: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164787

flar Apr 14, 2012 2:12 PM

Thanks for the comments :cheers:

Are there not a lot of people interested in neighbourhood tours or residential vernacular on here any more?

xzmattzx Apr 14, 2012 6:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flar (Post 5666229)
Thanks for the comments :cheers:

Are there not a lot of people interested in neighbourhood tours or residential vernacular on here any more?

I am, as always. Since we're on the topic, what are your favorite neighborhoods in the Canadian mid-sized cities (meaning cities smaller than the NHL/former NHL/CFL markets)? You've been great at showing various places in these cities, like this thread and others for London like Woodfield and Talbot, and then some neighborhoods like Cathderal and the Warehouse District in Regina, or the North End in Halifax. Do you have any other places in cities like this that you plan on exploring?

flar Apr 16, 2012 2:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xzmattzx (Post 5666444)
I am, as always. Since we're on the topic, what are your favorite neighborhoods in the Canadian mid-sized cities (meaning cities smaller than the NHL/former NHL/CFL markets)? You've been great at showing various places in these cities, like this thread and others for London like Woodfield and Talbot, and then some neighborhoods like Cathderal and the Warehouse District in Regina, or the North End in Halifax. Do you have any other places in cities like this that you plan on exploring?

This one (Old South) is pretty nice. The Sydenham Ward in Kingston is a good one, and I love the neighbourhoods of Halifax and Saint John, NB. Others I like are Stratford, Old Oakville and Niagara-On-The-Lake. I definitely prefer Eastern Canada for neighbourhoods. I would really like to explore St. John's, NL, but Newfoundland is a very long trip. More likely, I will go to Peterborough, Ontario. Perth, Port Hope and Belleville are also on my radar.

someone123 Apr 16, 2012 3:15 AM

Nice pictures. I've been to London a couple of times but pretty much only saw the downtown and whatever I happened to pass through on the way there. It's interesting to go east to west in Ontario and see the transition basically from Quebec-style architecture to Midwestern US architecture, with some Ontario-specific styles overlaid on top.

One thing that's weird about London is that it has some very wide streets and large blocks downtown. I don't know if that's how it was laid out or if old blocks were consolidated and roads were widened.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xzmattzx (Post 5666444)

Regina actually has a CFL team, and Halifax technically had one for a period in the 80's (maybe London's had one before too -- no idea). The CFL is not on the same scale as the NHL or NFL.

flar Apr 17, 2012 1:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone123 (Post 5667755)

One thing that's weird about London is that it has some very wide streets and large blocks downtown. I don't know if that's how it was laid out or if old blocks were consolidated and roads were widened.

That's the midwest influence. Plenty of flat land and few natural barriers mean wide streets and huge lots are typical in Southwestern Ontario. Almost all of the older neighoburhoods have grass boulevards between the street and the sidewalk and the houses have big front and back yards.

Thundertubs Apr 17, 2012 11:02 PM

Great neighborhood.

miketoronto Apr 22, 2012 2:18 PM

I have always wanted to walk through that neighbourhood, but did not have time last time I was in London.
It is always advertised in the tourism books as one of the coolest hip places to hang out in London.

MolsonExport Apr 25, 2012 8:59 PM

Excellent shots of the Wort.

Robert Pence Apr 25, 2012 10:28 PM

A visual delight. After seeing these, I'll be smiling for a while.