SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Marriott Marquis McCormick Place | 444' | 40 FLOORS (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=207501)

spyguy Sep 16, 2013 5:17 PM

CHICAGO | Marriott Marquis McCormick Place | 444' | 40 FLOORS
 
http://imageshack.com/a/img538/3057/3BUYp3.jpg

arkitekte Sep 16, 2013 5:30 PM

^That's a slick tower. I wish there was another rendering that shows the base a little better and also one that shows the terrace deck.

Rizzo Sep 16, 2013 6:15 PM

I love the hotel tower design! Slick!! Kind of wish we could get something like this on the Mag Mile.


Also harryc, thanks for the great photos. Your updates are always well composed.

sentinel Sep 16, 2013 6:57 PM

53 floors of awesome. That's quite nice - thanks spyguy!

marothisu Sep 16, 2013 7:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sentinel (Post 6269075)
53 floors of awesome. That's quite nice - thanks spyguy!


It's cool the size increased. It was going to be 35 not too long ago..

ardecila Sep 16, 2013 9:43 PM

New Marriott is SICK! It's like One Bryant Park and the (Chicago) Sofitel had a baby.

If that base is built anything like the rendering, this will be the boldest new tower we've had since Aqua.

Mr Roboto Sep 16, 2013 10:32 PM

Im so excited after seeing the new Marriott renderings. Its a terrific new centerpiece for the south section of the south loop. With this and the new green line stop, and even the new arena, I cant wait to see how the motor row/mccormick area grows in the next few years.

LA21st Sep 16, 2013 10:59 PM

Wow. That's a sharp looking hotel.
I stayed at the Hyatt last year, surprised to see how dead that area is at street level with McCormick Place nearby.

the urban politician Sep 16, 2013 11:30 PM

Wow. That Marriott Place is incredible. I am salivating

ChiTownCity Sep 16, 2013 11:43 PM

I guess I'll go ahead and be the first to say that all though the tower portion is nice, I really hate that oversized base. The design of it is nice, but I really dislike all of these new towers making these humongous podiums mostly for no other reason than to protect views which completely kills the potential for other low to midrise structures to neighbor it....

Rizzo Sep 16, 2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTownCity (Post 6269422)
I guess I'll go ahead and be the first to say that all though the tower portion is nice, I really hate that oversized base. The design of it is nice, but I really dislike all of these new towers making these humongous podiums mostly for no other reason than to protect views which completely kills the potential for other low to midrise structures to neighbor it....

The hotel maintains a slender base on Michigan Ave which is in scale (in width) with its neighbors. The back portion which faces the side of McCormick is mostly a celebrated service drive. It appears they've gone way above and beyond to improve that street, especially since it was supposed to be a faceless data center.

ChiTownCity Sep 17, 2013 1:03 AM

Wait now I'm confused. Where exactly is this going? I thought it was over on Cermak & Indiana.

BVictor1 Sep 17, 2013 1:47 AM

Pretty damn nice.

Certainly towers above the Lexington.

Excited to see this one built.

BVictor1 Sep 17, 2013 2:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTownCity (Post 6269422)
I guess I'll go ahead and be the first to say that all though the tower portion is nice, I really hate that oversized base. The design of it is nice, but I really dislike all of these new towers making these humongous podiums mostly for no other reason than to protect views which completely kills the potential for other low to midrise structures to neighbor it....

Well, remember its a convention hotel and here the base could serve a function like for meeting and ballroom space.

the urban politician Sep 17, 2013 2:04 AM

I don't know if it has a listed height, but I think it deserves its own thread.

marothisu Sep 17, 2013 2:52 AM

I really like this one. The base and the top look awesome and I like the way it crescendos into the top. If they decide to use non-cheap materials for the exterior, it could look awesome.

Mr Downtown Sep 17, 2013 3:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTownCity (Post 6269422)
I really dislike all of these new towers making these humongous podiums mostly for no other reason than to protect views which completely kills the potential for other low to midrise structures to neighbor it....

I'm not following your argument. You'd prefer this be a much shorter building with a back-to-back-E or H shape, like the Palmer House or Chicago Hilton?

Rizzo Sep 17, 2013 5:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTownCity (Post 6269509)
Wait now I'm confused. Where exactly is this going? I thought it was over on Cermak & Indiana.

Might wanna check out streetview that will clarify my post. I see no issue with the Michigan Ave side, but Indiana? It's pretty much a glorified service road....back of house. Heck I don't like them either but if there's any site they had to go on this one is perfect for it. Ban them from streeterville and RN, yes. But it's McCormick center of all places.

Again, I love this tower design.

Chicago Shawn Sep 17, 2013 5:56 AM

Fantastic! I was hoping for a bold statement on that prominent site and this hotel does not disappoint. With this being a McPier project, we can certainly expect this to move forward quickly.

Let's all toast to the first 500' footer not just south of 13th, but south of Cermak. :cheers: Here's to hoping this is a catalyst for Motor Row, the Cermak Corridor and south of the Stevenson Expy.

Here is the Phorio Object Page for the project. Do we know who the architect is?

sentinel Sep 17, 2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn (Post 6269769)
Fantastic! I was hoping for a bold statement on that prominent site and this hotel does not disappoint. With this being a McPier project, we can certainly expect this to move forward quickly.

Let's all toast to the first 500' footer not just south of 13th, but south of Cermak. :cheers: Here's to hoping this is a catalyst for Motor Row, the Cermak Corridor and south of the Stevenson Expy.

Here is the Phorio Object Page for the project. Do we know who the architect is?

Gensler Chicago is the architect.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.